4.4

1. Jun 15, 2011
    I'm not even considering purchasing this game. I don't think it is worth it. I mean the game was supposed to be released in 1998. Look it up if you don't believe me. Why would someone of this gaming generation buy a game that has been delayed from being released for 13 years.
  2. Jun 14, 2011
    This game is terrible. Honestly, I'm sick people defend this game as being good, when it is far inferior to most games on the market right now. This game would have been great a decade ago, but now it's just garbage. You can get a better shooter than this almost anywhere you look.
  3. Jun 14, 2011
    This is a great game. My rank is 10/10 because so many ideas used in this game are awesome and you cannot see it in any other shooter. Really fantastic and big thanks to Gearbox and 3D Realms. Great!
    Hail to the King, baby!
  4. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever was everything it promised it would be. Nostalgic, hilarious, edgy and above all, fun. When did graphics and ingenuity become a pre-requisite to a good game? If you aren't a fan of Duke, you should probably wait for the bargain bin release, if you are a fan have at it. If you are neither of these and you found the game horrible then at least try to see the direction the game takes. It is SUPPOSED to be immature and dated, that's what made 3D so great. If a community can love it then, why not now? Lower your standards a little people, don't let a great gaming icon go down in flames, speak up for DUKE! FYI the multiplayer is loads of fun, slinging babes over your shoulder while trying to hit somebody with a pea-shooter with her hand on your face and all the while she's making vulgar references....classic Duke. Expand
  5. Jun 15, 2011
    this game i efing great but its not flawless in fact it has 3
    1. the graphics
    the graphics arent that bad and at first youll notice them but later youll haveing too mutch fun be blowing the alien bastards) plus i still play snes-n64-ps1-gc-psp-gba-ps3 so it dosent bother me
    2.the begining stage
    (the begining is so long and the action is scarce) after you turn off the game of
    dissipointment and play again in 2 or three hours you start to see the gem shine)
    3.there is no third flaw(the duke cant fail ever)

its a great game and after you pick it up again after your 2-3 hour dissipointment break go in expecting nothing and the game will show you how great it realy is i havent finished it yet but i hope its long and cant wait for duke nukem 5
    and if it helps i wasnt a hard core duke fan untill this game mostly besause i found out about duke when i was 4 and im currently 15
    ps executions are satisfying as hell
  6. Jun 15, 2011
    I've been waiting 12 years for this game, and I have to weigh in. I found the game to pull on my Nostalgia goggles in a good and new way, I was not comparing it to current titles, nor was I comparing it to it's past. I took it for what it is, and always will be a mystical game rising from the vapors to become real. Plenty of negative reviews on it do bum me out, but I had a blast with the game. laughing at the clunky animations and sounds and textures that harken back to a time when games were made in small dimly lit offices by a tiny team of coders trying to make a living off cheap ramen and cheaper coffee..The feelings I felt whilst playing this game were that of wide-eyed wonder that my 12 year old self had when playing the original. Gritty, edgy, stupid humor and other such tiny oddities make me feel that this game was made to the standards of the past which is, exactly what I wanted to spend my money on. The things I do not like: The halo style weapon system, as well as the lack of my mighty boot. That is all, I loved this game and got full use out of my money, and will continue to in multi-player as well as single-player on a harder difficulty. Thank you 3D Realms, Gearbox, and everyone else involved in finally letting Duke have his last adventure! Expand
  7. Jun 14, 2011
    How the critics are bashing duke is crazy but all things said, i love the game i havnt enjoyed myself and laughed this much during a game in forever.... no pun intended.... some just dont take the game for what it is they try to compare to much.... oh well i still got balls of steel....
  8. Jun 15, 2011
    I've got to admit first that I followed this game for it's entire 14 years of development. However I'd like to point out that I'm also aware that this Build of the game didn't take 14 years to make, it took 5. Remember that DNF was scrapped several times until it's final attempt to make it.

That said, I went on to play the game for the first time with really high expectations, the highest
    possible. And yes, the game didn't meet them, of course. Nothing can meet such hype and expectation built for over a decade.

Still the game managed to keep me entertained throughout it's entirety and even had me rolling on the floor laughing. The game IS fun. You only need to know that this isn't supposed to be the second coming of Christ. It's a funny enjoyable game.

It has it's flaws, yes. Like the linearity, sometimes empty rooms, and so on. Still, for me, the good out weighed the bad. I'm one of the lucky people that had fun with the game and didn't finish it in disappointment. I'd like to say thank you to everyone that made this game possible. I sure had a blast playing it and I know I'll keep on trying to find more secrets and references. Remember if you're on the 360 install the game to lessen the loading times! Get the game! Don't let the bad reviews discourage you. It's cool to talk trash about Duke Forever on every review, but you don't have to be like that. You have a mind of your own. Try the game, and then make up your own opinion about it. HAVE FUN!
  9. Jun 15, 2011
    Everything you could want from a Duke Nukem game! The game solid is good the game itself is fun and there is a lot of humor in the game to make you chuckle every now and again. The graphics aren't the best iv'e seen but their not bad enough for me to complain. The only thing that lets the game down is the loading times in between levels and when you die. Other than that its a 10/10 experience for any Duke Nukem fan. Expand
  10. Jun 17, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever was such a fun game, I really don't get why many reviewers decided to hate on it. There are a few problems, make no mistake - mainly the 2007-2008 level graphics, the fact that Duke can, for some reason, carry only 2 guns, regenerating health instead of health packs. Everything else, though, is excellent, ESPECIALLY if you enjoy Duke Nukem humour. If you do, this game is a true feast. The jokes are second to none, the game just keeps a smile on your face for extended periods of time.

There's a LOT of attention to detail (pretty entertaining Duke Nukem burger cartons in one of the stages, for instance). The game offers great variety, it's not all shooting, there are puzzles, there's some first-person platforming (nothing too difficult), a lot of things are covered. The stages are quite varied, both in terms of design and in terms of what you have to do - there are driving stages, water stages, stages where you are small and have to fight your ways through rats or even big aliens, a stage set like a Western movie, etc. There are plenty of entertaining mini-games like pool, weight lifting, pinball, etc. The boss battles are quite epic and intense.

I guess the game is a bit on the easy side on Normal difficulty, but then again, you're Duke Nukem, it's natural that you kick epic amounts of ass. The story is nothing special, of course, but the game is all about the humour. Duke Nukem is better than ever, I'd say Jon St. John's voice is even more badass 15 years later!
  11. Jun 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all I have to start by saying that if you are looking for a run of the mill FPS like Call of Duty or Halo just stop reading now and look elsewhere. However, if you are looking for the nostalgic experience you had in the 1990s (or heard about if you were too young) with the Duke Nukem franchise, then rest assured, Take-Two Interactive and Gearbox Software did this franchise justice. Does the game have state of the art graphics, animations and cinematics that will make you "ooh" and "ahh" at the game designer's wizardry? Nope. This was never what made Duke, Duke. What made him, him was a kickass arsenal of weapons and being a total badass. He gets the girls, he takes steroids, pumps iron, and does whatever the hell he (you) wants to do. As far as the actual gameplay goes the AI is intelligent making combat somewhat challenging for an experienced FPS player. The multiplayer modes work well too. The boss battles don't let you down either constantly barraging with you minions to distract you or gigantic RPG hurtling rockets at you. And of course Duke is funny in the whole process. Must-buy for diehard Duke fans. For those easily offended or looking for another Call of Duty game get Battlefield 3 in November. Expand
  12. Jun 15, 2011
    To everyone that was expecting CoD 3 out of the duke, get a clue
    To everyone that was expecting classic duke, you win two internets

Duke Nukem Forever is exactly what it should have been and exactly what it was meant to be.

I miss the days when games were rated on their fun factor and not on how pretty the pointless blade of grass looks in the fake wind.
  13. Jun 17, 2011
    everyone scoring this game is under 17 and shouldn't be playing this game in the first place. It's freaking Douk Nookm, man! I don't know what you people expected, but from what it sounds like, you were all building this game up to be the second coming of christ.
  14. Jun 17, 2011
    THE DUKE IS BACK! :D

I have no regrets in buying this game. Every second of its gameplay can only be quantified as pure and utter enjoyment. I'm pretty sure that anyone who has rated this game below an 8 has NOT played the game yet!
  15. Jun 15, 2011
    I'm only posting this because of all the bad reviews. For your information, this game is PERFECT. Don't listen to the haters. Just because older games are making a come back isn't a reason to get down on yourself and your bad taste in games, obsessing over the nuances of a now-old style of "modern" gaming. This game is PERFECT. 10/10
  16. Jun 16, 2011
    The game is fun and very duke nukem. Stop comparing games to call of duty and you might find they are actually better then you expected. This is just a fun cult classic. Play it and enjoy.
  17. Jun 17, 2011
    Totally undeserving of such low scores, especially with so many uninventive and tedious sequels getting 9's or higher. Honestly, more varied and fun, though perhaps not as polished as most AAA shooters of this generation.
  18. Jun 16, 2011
    One of the best games ever. Yes the long load times makes me want to play it on pc but after a few updates the game will be fixed. You people need to go bash games worth bashing or at least before you right a review play the game and beat it then wait a week before bashing it. If you dont like it then dont review it.

Hail to the King Baby
  19. Jun 17, 2011
    This is an okay game. It deserves better scores that some critics have been giving it. It's not particularly original, the humour is hit and miss, the graphics are inconsistent in quality, the gameplay is alternately great fun and a bit boring, and it doesn't even come close to living up to 14 years of expectations. But it's not a terrible game. I'd give it a 6/10, but I'm giving it a 10 in protest of some of the really harsh, venomous, unwarranted criticism it's been on the receiving end of. Expand
  20. Jun 17, 2011
    Satire is dead. everybody bought this game thinking it was going to be the usual CoD and gears style macho **** when it really MAKES FUN OF that kind of thing.

so naturally, the CoD kiddies are going to think, "omg, this protagonist is such an ass", because they don't know any better and were stupid enough to expect something different from duke.
  21. Jun 18, 2011
    This game is awesome. Whoever gives it a low score doesn't know what is it for and shouldn't be playing it. DNF isn't rated "E for Everyone" ^^
    It wasn't meant to make everyone happy with it. The fun begins with its arrogance.
  22. Jul 1, 2011
    I can't understand: why nobody like this game? It's really cool! A lot of good jokes, explosive gun part, and driving on the BIGFOOT makes this game quite interesting. I've finished Duke Nukem Forever and I can tell you with great pleasure that it isn't boring. You should try it!
  23. Jun 30, 2011
    Acceptable graphics, needs to be better. Really is the sum of the total experience and not just the few first levels. Pros: -Interaction -Environment -Delivery -Knick Knacks -Ego Builiding methods fit in nicely Cons: -AI needed to be more aggressive and en masse.(Duke saving the world from a handful of aliens, pshhhuuu...wtf) -Not an awesome shooter in sense of weapon selection (ex. need to expand melee)/ using terrain.
    -A couple levels lost some focus to fill time( just the driving bit, could have been slightly shorter, unless I missed something. Like the character head from borderlands on the water level ).

Recommendations for improvement:
    Better/More guns ( both kinds ;D ) , Superb Graphics, Improved Storyline (No B.1 to B.2 to Complete B ), "Pressure" Puzzles

One last thing, a Duke Quote: "My balls, your face."
  24. Dec 24, 2011
    All the haters are retards. Case closed.
  25. Jan 6, 2012
    Duke Nukem Forever is a great game. Yes it has some flaws, but we shouldn't expect any game to be perfect. Most of the current shooters are not perfect, polished games. This game might not be as good when compared it its predecessors, but it's a good game in itself. have never played any previous Duke Nukem games, nor had I even heard of him, but this game is one of my favourite. Games are supposed to be fun. You don't need stunning graphics and perfect mechanics to have a good time. I enjoyed both the story mode and multiplayer. The comical one-liners also add to the laughter of the game. It's a fun experience and a unique game. I recommend Duke Nukem Forever to anyone who wants to have a laugh, and relive this much loved old school game. Expand
  26. Apr 19, 2013
    I'm not too sure what to say about this game, At first when I turned it on, I saw that intro-movie & I thought it was absolutely amazing & a complete blast from the past. I'm an avid Duke Nukem fan & really did love Duke Nukem 64/3D to bits. This game unfortunately turned into a modern day shooter & the graphics & physics aren't too impressive. As some people have said, quite like Playstation 2.

Regardless of that, after 12 long years of being manhandled by developers I'd expect this game was merely rushed to get it out & finished.

After all that, this game really pleased me, maybe it was re-living some past times & living as my hero once again! The little things like "Ego Awards" where you earn a bonus to interacting with your environment (such as make some popcorn) was a great little idea.

The game is very challenging, I did complete it on both Piece of Cake (very easy) and Damn I'm Good (insane). Piece of Cake was a good idea, go through the game, interact with the whole environment & really sap up the enjoyment in the game & learn what's what. Damn I'm Good was a pure game-rush. I played to get the game finished, prattling around would only make it a lot harder and boy IT WAS HARD!!

I don't know if I can recommend this game to anyone else, you really do have to be a Duke Fan to appreciate this game.

Give it a chance & enjoy what's there, don't think what it should of been!

Hopefully there will be another instalment to the Duke franchise but I know for a fact this next one will be much better. This was just a stepping stone that had to be done & I'm glad they finally got it out of the way. I did enjoy it none the less.
  27. May 30, 2012
    i originally wrote a review for this last year when it first came out and like everyone was not very happy about it. Me and im sure alot of other people were focusing to much on the negatives and wernt even paying attention to the positives. Originally i have DNF a 6/10. almost a year later i decided to buy the balls of steel addition. (i mainly bought it for the stuff inside not the game) i checked out the stuff and put the game in my xbox. I started playing again and was startled by how much fun i was having i actually was able to see all of the positive things and didnt pay attention to the negatives and had a blast. i played through the story and then hoped on multiplayer and had a ton of fun. long story short i was EXTREMELY wrong about this game and truly deserves alot more credit than it did. Hail to the king baby Expand
  28. Jun 20, 2011
    A very great rent but not buy. Fun story but very short and the lines are amazing the graphics are bad but they meant to make the game bad I give this game a 9 but don't buy it rent it like I did.
  29. Jun 28, 2011
    i LOVED this game i think its funny fun and just awsome the graphic arent even really bad who ever said that is an idiot if you like fun games this game is for you Duke nukem is back but better but still the same duke we knew from earlier games
  30. Aug 4, 2011
    The game Duke Nukem forever had its own little good qualities, BUT we only really play it for the little games like pin ball and air hokey, the games combat wasnt actally that bad but it didnt really give us alot of fun when in battle, the only real fun i had on it was drawing on the white board and driving the monster truck. Its sad to see the Duke in such a boring game, i really do hope there will be another Duke Nukem game because it would be sad to just end on such a bad game... Expand
  31. Sep 9, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever is more interesting as a cultural artifact than it is as an actual game. And to its credit, it banks on that history with an impressive swath of goodies, like old screenshots, concept art, and trailers after finishing the campaign. If you want all of your Duke Nukem Forever nostalgia in one place, the game serves as an adequate museum. After such a sordid development, Duke Nukem Forever's greatest accomplishment may be that it exists. It fails to appeal even as kitsch, and it's hard to see this game as anything but the a relic of its era. This aging series, like its hero, has failed to keep up with the times. Expand
  32. Apr 16, 2012
    Forever a long time coming, baby! So I've played this game in it's entirety; do i have more right than most to post a review? Let me begin by saying that i'd never pay more than $25 on a good day for a console game. I did once pay $50 for Fallout3 Collectors Edition (well worth the shell out, mind you). I've also played and finished the original Dukem Nukem series and Duke Nukem 3D. I get right into any game I play, essentially becoming the character whilst playing the game. I explore every inch and climb to the top of every invisible barrier. I play on nightmare mode and take my sweet time. Pay real money for a game so I want a complete experience. Games that don't fulfill my immersion needs are traded or shelved. Duke Nukem Forever is, well, both. It's a great-looking parody game full of bloody action, dirty jokes, changing gameplay that keeps you interested and wanting more. But the ending sucked Balls of Fail.

The intro was awesome, with a rocking track to all the Duke's kills and spills and hilarious trash comedy! The game starts with the final boss battle from Duke Nukem3D. We played the PS3 version but Duke has a X360 controller, no drama tho, the send up of the Olsen Twins worked well except that his girlfriend remote didn't have a **** mute button! The following walk-through of his hotel was interesting and nostalgic however short-lived. There's even a "History of Duke" exhibit showing of all his games. I'm still laughing at stealing a turd from a toilet "what the **** Duke gave a different bewildered response every time. Classic.

The Christian Bale punch out scene - no one likes a winger; TV show is cancelled, screaming girls asking to have Duke's babies, and Pigcops lining up at Duke Burger - hilarious. After the President told us not to get involved, i was wishing for the intimidate button, as in Duke3d, for a one-finger salute! It's full of game and movie references.

The action is good and solid and fast, but the aiming was clunky for a console controller. Looking in the mirror was the first Ego boost, and we laughed at how the Duke's strafing and jumping animation mimicked Duke3D's animation. The first bad thing we noticed was the long loading time. A loading time of one minute if not more for an action game, really breaks the rhythm and mood of gameplay. Get over it. If you died from falling off a high ledge, it's probably your own fault! The graphics are up to modern standard, although saturated to show off the game's cartoonish aspect. I must admit the graphics are rather average for a 2011 release, but it's been in the making for like, forever! But don't even try to stare out into the blurry distance at the surrounding cityscape.
    The game is definitely not boring, as it changes with each level. Some of the driving segments can be a bit useless. Who wouldn't enjoy being shrunk down to Toy Story size and being told by a foxy lady "I know where I'd put him!" before blasting off in a toy RC car, man!

You can play pool, pinball machine, workout, shoot hoops, play slots and poker in the casino, slap triple **** even microwave rats! The strip club was a dream level with no aliens. You can ask one stripper to shake it baby but only once and without tip. Gone are the times of throwing wads of cash at strippers and shooting them to make aliens appear. But I suppose some things (scratch that - a lot of things) got cut for this game to be released.

Story is quite simple: defeat aliens and save world again. The action is thick and interesting, and turning aliens into chunks with the devastor or fists in a steroid induced 'roid rage is very satisfying. The two weapon limit makes badass Duke into a somewhat rations **** despite the plentiful ammo supplies. This may be a tactical edge the developers introduced to make the player think on their feet. We should've been allowed two weapons plus the golden gun because no one wants to drop it as 50 gamer points are up for grabs at the end of the game. Just make sure you're holding it before the bombs drop!

DNF is great for Duke Nukem fans, but a disappointment for new comers. It would've been so much better had they included the original Dukem Nukem and Duke3D games, as was with Doom3: It had the original Doom, Doom2 & Final Doom. I'm disappointed with the final result of this one. The unlockable 2001 gameplay trailer is the game i wanted to have played instead, making it "Time to kick ass and chew bubble gum!" But 2011's Duke is all outta gum.
  33. May 6, 2013
    dovaahken is super awsome in this gaem i mastred the thum of juggle psychics dragon combat am grate buy gmae know the maylay combat are very good yay
  34. Feb 20, 2014
    Ill say this down right. I'm only giving this a 10 out of spite for the people that hate this game because it's NOT call of duty. This game was a step in the right direction for the it's genre that could have pulled FPS games out of the creative black hole it been stuck in since CoD was thing.

1. Dec 12, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever aspires to take gamers back to a different period in the gaming continuum. What it will really do is inspire you to take it back to the store for a full and complete refund.
  2. Sep 14, 2011
    The potential for a fun but simple shooter is here, but even with Gearbox at the helm Duke Nukem Forever is clearly a hastily-cobbled sum of unfinished parts. It could have been epic if it was released 3 to 4 years ago, but nowadays there are new rivals for the throne.
  3. Jul 25, 2011
    How can Duke be such a dick, have such an inconsistently crappy game and we still enjoy it? [Sept 2011, p.84]