Duke Nukem Forever Xbox 360

4.4

1. Jun 14, 2011
    First, let me start with the bad. The graphics are definitely not as good as they should be for a game made in 2011. The loading times between scenes and deaths make you contemplate if it would be faster to restart the game itself. The controls are very rigid. This game is also very linear compared to the original classic. And finally, if your looking for a game with a deeply invovlingFirst, let me start with the bad. The graphics are definitely not as good as they should be for a game made in 2011. The loading times between scenes and deaths make you contemplate if it would be faster to restart the game itself. The controls are very rigid. This game is also very linear compared to the original classic. And finally, if your looking for a game with a deeply invovling plot with intriguing storyline, then you obviously don't know the Duke Nukem franchise and are too young to be playing this anyways.

Now the good. It has all the Duke Nukem adult humor and lines. (Granted borrowed from Bruce Campbell) Pretty much all the classic weapons and enemies, plus a couple new ones. Multiplayer follows the traditional classic pre CoD formula of picking up new weapons with an XP system to unlock items and themed girls for your penthouse and accessories your player.

My overall opinion: This game is just simply okay. It doesn't really bring anything new to the FPS genre or to the Duke Nukem franchise. A majority of the people will be buying this game simply for nostalgia, in which case this game does deliver. Also being able to buy a game with a more adult sense of humor is also nice. Multiplayer will keep you occupied for a little while as long as you are not too much of a Battlefield or CoD fanboy. I would say wait for this game to go down to the 20 dollars before buying it. Or just rent it.
  2. Apr 15, 2013
    Not nearly as bad as many reviewers would suggest. This game is obviously very dated, both in terms of graphics and design, but playing as Duke can be a lot of fun and the game doesn't take itself too seriously. Some of the levels, such as Duke Burger, City, and Ghost Town are great fun but too many are full of bland and frustrating platforming. There's actually a lot more platformingNot nearly as bad as many reviewers would suggest. This game is obviously very dated, both in terms of graphics and design, but playing as Duke can be a lot of fun and the game doesn't take itself too seriously. Some of the levels, such as Duke Burger, City, and Ghost Town are great fun but too many are full of bland and frustrating platforming. There's actually a lot more platforming than shooting, which for a Duke game can't be right. Multiplayer is functional if you can find someone to play against, and it's fun to stock your apartment with goodies. Overall I'd say this is worth a try and I hope they make a sequel with more up to date graphics and gameplay. Expand
  3. Nov 10, 2011
    DO NOT LET THE TRAILER FOOL YOU! What the launch trailer makes Duke Nukem Forever out to be is a fun, stripper filled, ass-kicking time. The real experience is an ugly, sloppy "shooter". The reason I put shooter in quotations is because half the time your not shooting, your solving half-assed puzzles or watching the loading screen, which takes a solid 30 seconds to a minute to load. NowDO NOT LET THE TRAILER FOOL YOU! What the launch trailer makes Duke Nukem Forever out to be is a fun, stripper filled, ass-kicking time. The real experience is an ugly, sloppy "shooter". The reason I put shooter in quotations is because half the time your not shooting, your solving half-assed puzzles or watching the loading screen, which takes a solid 30 seconds to a minute to load. Now there were a couple entertaining parts and one good laugh I had, but overall, it's not worth the purchase. Rent it if you really must Expand
  4. Apr 27, 2013
    i thought dnf wasnt worst game i ever played. the graphics,textures and load times plus valve puzzles what made no sense and worthless mutiplayer. but some through all that i sorta still want more and newer duke nukem games. i hope this just a rough draft and next one will be a lot better. but its only 5$ at gamestop so i would just buy it.
  5. Jun 17, 2011
    For what it is Duke Nukem Forever is an alright game. That's not to say that it's really the game that it really should have been after all this time but still a fun game overall. The multi-player again not quit the best of the best but fun in its own right simply because of the novel twist on the classic modes. They definitely could have put a little more time into this game to polish it a bit.
  6. Jun 14, 2011
    49 out of 100 is bad yes the game has a short campaign and most people think the mutiplayer is bad but the finished making dnf campain in november 2009. i spent £40 on thyis and only 20 was worth it i will trade in in weeks to come but what i have to say is that the mutiplayer is fun i enjoy it i think they have guts to bring back the classic mutiplayer experence with is good49 out of 100 is bad yes the game has a short campaign and most people think the mutiplayer is bad but the finished making dnf campain in november 2009. i spent £40 on thyis and only 20 was worth it i will trade in in weeks to come but what i have to say is that the mutiplayer is fun i enjoy it i think they have guts to bring back the classic mutiplayer experence with is good in my opinion grapics ok not great if it takes 14 or 15 years to make this came hell i think they spent 13 years scrtaching themself thinking this is going to be great and awesome when clearly its quite isnt. if 2k games have seen the reviews they would have no balls of steel. Expand
  7. Jun 17, 2011
    What people don't understand is this game was already completed 85% years ago so yeah it is outdated. They could of modernized but they kept it the same to keep it original like the fans have expected and wanted. This is a game for the FANS. Nothing more.. Nothing less
  8. Oct 1, 2011
    First of let me address the problems people are talking about in this game. First of they say it has outdated graphics when there are alot of games out there with outdated graphics games like Portal 2 and Deus Ex but people seen to ignore that. Secondly people are saying that the game has boring and repetitive environments, well alot of shooters specially the so called awesome FPS gamesFirst of let me address the problems people are talking about in this game. First of they say it has outdated graphics when there are alot of games out there with outdated graphics games like Portal 2 and Deus Ex but people seen to ignore that. Secondly people are saying that the game has boring and repetitive environments, well alot of shooters specially the so called awesome FPS games have repetitive and similar environments as well but most of them seem to get critical acclaim and a positive reception. This game does have similar areas, but they were still fun and entertaining to me and on top of that there is some enemy variety which alot of FPS lack and fanboys and critics just totally ignore them and refuse to point them out as an issue. Than they talk about Duke's character being outdated, well Duke seems to have aged but what were you expecting Duke to be repackaged into a serious. nerdy or a big tough muscle headed guy, that would have been awful and would have killed and destroyed everything Duke Nukem stood for and destroyed his legacy. Sure some of his jokes can get old but there are alot of points in the game where I just cannot stop laughing, like at the parts when he says puzzles are for p*****s. People are also saying that the game is too hard, well if the game is hard than first play on Easy in your first playthrough. Complaining about a game for its difficulty is stupid specially when it has 3 difficulty options. The driving segments were fun for me and a decent change of pace, despite the badly assigned controls. The gun selection and customization options are also good, however I hate that the game has a 2 weapon limit, I will get to that in a bit. The music is classic Duke Nukem and sound effects are also very good. Plus the game has alot of nudity and adult stuff with alot of mature gamers may like. The multiplayer mode is fun and has a good amount of modes to keep your interest invested in it. Sure the execution could have been better and there are a number of flaws in the modes I still enjoyed it. All that being said this game is far from being great, there are a good number of issues the puzzles are just awful and boring, some enemies and all bosses are very overpowered so dying can be a real b**tch, the loading screen takes forever for the consoles,ridiculous voice acting. The mini games that are there are poorly designed and boring. And my major problem with the game is the 2 weapon limit why could it not allow you to carry as many weapons as you want the two weapons limits make the boss battles painful because if you want to win easily and without alot of trouble you will have to use the rocket launcher. The story is ok it is very similar to the old Duke Nukem games having Duke fighting and stopping aliens story is not well written or really in depth or anything but it serves its purpose. However the ending of the game was very very disappointing. Overall I would say the Duke Nukem forever is a good game which fails to live up to its potential and hype and considering this was in development for 12 years expectations were very very high for it. Despite having alot of issues and being dated I still think it has a fine number of things which will be liked and enjoyed by both some long time Duke Nukem fans and new players alike. However I don't recommend buying it you would rather rent it or borrow it first and give it a try and see if you like it. 7/10 Expand
  9. Oct 26, 2011
    Ugly , dated , pervert and idiotic , Duke Nukem aged 16 or I don't know how many years took but what it sure did was to be Forever be forgotten , all in the "Duke" style.
  10. Jun 22, 2011
    If Jesus came back in this day and age I'm sure people would be pretty dissappointed, after all the stories and tales about him 2000 years ago, even Mr. Christ would struggle to live up to expectations. The same can be said for Duke Nukem. It's been a long time coming, and many would argue it's too little too late. Not me though, because I can see past all it's faults and see the gem asIf Jesus came back in this day and age I'm sure people would be pretty dissappointed, after all the stories and tales about him 2000 years ago, even Mr. Christ would struggle to live up to expectations. The same can be said for Duke Nukem. It's been a long time coming, and many would argue it's too little too late. Not me though, because I can see past all it's faults and see the gem as it should be. It's a rough stone, uncut and unpolished, but contains something quite precious underneath. It's such a change to find a game that aims for the fun factor instead of being uber-realistic. People have tried comparing Duke to COD, but this is not a fair comparison. Just because the viewpoint is the same does not mean it has to be the same game - would you compare Gears of War to Tomb Raider just because it's 3rd person? No.
    Ok, so the bad points - The graphics are shabby in some places (but not others) - the game looks like it's been part-cleaned but never finished. The lip-sink and such are actually terrible, but in some way it all adds to the comedy of the experience. The loading times are a pain to work with, especially when you get stuck on a particular part and have to replay again and again - which happens often, as the difficulty level too is something out of the 90's, rather than the easy fly-through games we get today. However, Duke has just as many good points, which seem to have been forgotten by so many critics that are just intent on blasting it for the fact that's it's taken so long to be released. And this very fact alone is one of the starting jokes of the game - where a girl asks if the game was any good, Duke replies "After 12 F-ing years, it better be". The sense of humour is the same from previous Duke outings - it's sexist, crude, and over-the-top. the faint-hearted or easily offended need not apply. And as for people saying that this game will not appeal to the modern gamer, that the character is out of date - how come nobody says this about Mario or Sonic? The Expendables movie proved that there is still a market for 80's macho-briandead heroes, and this is the game equivalent. All in all, it could have done with more polish, and if it hadn't been so long in the making I think it would have garnered much higher scores than it has. Good effort, and I'm looking forward to Gearboxes attempt at doing a Duke game from scratch.
  11. May 19, 2012
    It shocks me when critics and gamer's say why would you play this when you can play Halo, Call of Duty, or Battlefield. Gamer's and critics are missing the point with this game it was never suppose to be a triple A title like those games. Its a comedy people its not suppose to be taken seriously. The game made me laugh from beginning to end. The campaign for the game is around 8 to 10It shocks me when critics and gamer's say why would you play this when you can play Halo, Call of Duty, or Battlefield. Gamer's and critics are missing the point with this game it was never suppose to be a triple A title like those games. Its a comedy people its not suppose to be taken seriously. The game made me laugh from beginning to end. The campaign for the game is around 8 to 10 hours which is very rare for a shooter these days. The game has glitches I'm not gonna sit here and tell you it didn't and yes the online mutiplayer for the game is terrible. The game is still very entertaining and fun to play and the lines Duke Nukem says in the game are a riot. People you have to remember this game was announced back in April 28th, 1997 and it came out June 14, 2011. For a game that was 14 years in development they did a good job with this. The game is just as good as the original. I can't believe all the hate this game got don't listen to what critics and other gamer's have said about this game play it and see for yourself. If your looking for a good campaign check this game out the adult humor in Duke Nukem Forever will have you laughing so hard you'll fall of your chair. If you only play multiplayer games and never play single player stay away from this game you don't deserve to play it. Expand
  12. Jun 19, 2011
    this was my introduction to the Duke Nukem franchise and I have to admit I am disappointed. the first thing you will notice is an intro scene which you must watch every time you play the game and it has some decent graphics which is extremely misleading. when you get to the start of the game you will laugh at the funny toilet humour interaction which kicks the game off but then as you walkthis was my introduction to the Duke Nukem franchise and I have to admit I am disappointed. the first thing you will notice is an intro scene which you must watch every time you play the game and it has some decent graphics which is extremely misleading. when you get to the start of the game you will laugh at the funny toilet humour interaction which kicks the game off but then as you walk around you will notice some average graphics with below average textures which may never load. THE GAMEPLAY : the gameplay is standard run and gun with a few on rails turret sections and a bad underwater section which is very difficult to control. there are a few interesting bosses, some driving scenes and some basic platforming, so overall gameplay wise there is a lot of variety. THE STORY : the story is very forgettable, it's pretty much the aliens are kidnapping the women which angers duke so you go to kill them while the president thinks you started it all and tells everyone the lie that you did. so the story is pathetic. THE MULTIPLAYER : the multiplayer is very basic gameplay wise but with a few friends or even on your own it is quite fun despite the difficulty of finding a specific just starting match. there is some funny map design in the multiplayer which could have you shrunk down and running through Duke Burger and getting burnt alive in a microwave. there is also some nice customisation when it comes to multiplayer from your headwear, shades and top. THE VERDICT : overall the story mode is average about a 5/10 but the multiplayer is fun and has replay value which seals the game as a 6.5/10. the game is slightly above average so if you don't mind graphics and textures problems and games with a bad story but enjoy toilet humour interactions and one liners then you will enjoy this game.6.5/10 (SLIGHTLY)< ABOVE AVERAGE Expand
  13. Jun 25, 2011
    I wouldn't say this game is as bad as many made it out to be, although it's certainly no masterpiece. I liked some of the gameplay elements, even if they were a bit dated. The humor is crude so some will like it and some won't. I found parts of it amusing. The graphics are certainly nothing to write home about and some of the textures look like they're from the original development cycleI wouldn't say this game is as bad as many made it out to be, although it's certainly no masterpiece. I liked some of the gameplay elements, even if they were a bit dated. The humor is crude so some will like it and some won't. I found parts of it amusing. The graphics are certainly nothing to write home about and some of the textures look like they're from the original development cycle in 1997. The load times are definitely bad and were probably my biggest motivation for not dying.

I didn't play much of the multiplayer because it just didn't seem that fun to me. Maybe if I got better at it and practiced it could be. It reminded me a lot of the original Duke multiplayer which I'm sure is what they were going for. It could probably be fun if you were playing with people you knew but playing against strangers online doesn't do it much justice.

In summary, the game might be worth a few hours of your time at 20 or 30 dollars but I wouldn't pay full price for this game. As a matter of fact, I rather play a reskinned version of the original Duke Nukem.
  14. Jun 18, 2011
    for any one thats ever played duke nukem then you will like this game. i fell it was made to look and fell like the duke nukem that a rember and love if you under 20 then you will not like this game but if you love the games that game befor call of duty then this is for. this is the duke that i rember mabey a littel ruder then befor but still good there are thing that do slow the game downfor any one thats ever played duke nukem then you will like this game. i fell it was made to look and fell like the duke nukem that a rember and love if you under 20 then you will not like this game but if you love the games that game befor call of duty then this is for. this is the duke that i rember mabey a littel ruder then befor but still good there are thing that do slow the game down the load time sucks and there are some thing that the q.a miss when testing this game and i what i dont like is i think thay tryed to make a old game new whil trying to keep it that way it was back in the day and that is where i find the big problum eather it going to be a duke nukem game or something new but past every ting that is roung there are a lot of things this game got right . but will not injoy this game inless you are a duke nukem and love the old game if you are 15-20 stop **** no cares it this game was mabe for us old farts that where there when it all started Expand
  15. Jun 22, 2011
    i think that this game well it was good but they should of improve it a lot more. the graphics are OK but to say that this is a Xbox 360 game the graphics should be 10 times better. the loading screen takes the pi*s to load and its very poor indeed i feel sorry for people if they are doing this game on insane difficulty cause the mount of times you die and trust me you will get pi*s offi think that this game well it was good but they should of improve it a lot more. the graphics are OK but to say that this is a Xbox 360 game the graphics should be 10 times better. the loading screen takes the pi*s to load and its very poor indeed i feel sorry for people if they are doing this game on insane difficulty cause the mount of times you die and trust me you will get pi*s off about the loading screens lol. there are times were he is funny but i don't think that this game is a 10/10 . Expand
  16. Jul 21, 2011
    As a gamer of a certain age, I played and loved Duke Nukem 3D back in the day. I've read a lot of reviews from the critics, almost all of them extemely negative. I thought this rather unfair on the game, a lot of reviews written along the lines of "doesn't like like a game in production for 12 years, sexist, swearing, awful graphics, no new guns etc etc". Almost every review I readAs a gamer of a certain age, I played and loved Duke Nukem 3D back in the day. I've read a lot of reviews from the critics, almost all of them extemely negative. I thought this rather unfair on the game, a lot of reviews written along the lines of "doesn't like like a game in production for 12 years, sexist, swearing, awful graphics, no new guns etc etc". Almost every review I read was the same, ending with a low score.

I want to address the balance slightly. DNF may have been in production for 12 years, but given the history of that production it's a miracle the game came out at all. The game repeatedly started from scratch, cancelled, started again, worked on at home by unpaid former employees, the reality is the game has mostly been developed over the past couple of years with some older material and ideas added in. The game is a bit of a mess as a result, understandly.

Other negatives thrown at DNF by the critics are about the content of the game, sexism, nudity, swearing. We knew it would contain this stuff though, it's a Duke Nukem game, we were expecting it. The game was written for gamers who played the original Duke games, people who like games with fluffy dancing rabbits should probably not buy it.

The game itself is unashamedly old school with lots of aliens to blast, babes to rescue, big guns, cheesy one liners and pop culture references throughout. There's the obligitory driving sections, jumping sections, underwater bits, alien lair level, massive end of level bosses, all unashamedly retro gaming.

There are plenty of negatives to dwell on if you were expecting a modern game for a modern audience. But this isn't a modern game for a modern audience, it's a new old game for an older audience which sadly has suffered for all of its development problems.

It's a mess, the graphics are adequate in places and poor in others, the loading times are ridiculous, and there's nothing really new in there that we wouldn't have seen in the year 2000 when this should have been released. If you are new to Duke, then the rampant sexism, bad language and nudity will be a shock compared to other shooters.

On the positive side, shooting alien pig cops with shotguns is still great fun, stomping miniature aliens shrunk with the shrink ray gun is still funny, as is shattering frozen foes with the freeze ray.

Despite it's flaws, if you were a fan back in the day, then DNF is not actually as awful as the smug journalists would have you believe.

We knew what we were getting and overall it's not bad. I paid £40 for it and traded it back in 2 weeks later for £35. Did I have £5's worth of entertainment out of the game? Hell yes.

Hopefully the game will sell enough copies so that Gearbox Software can produce another Duke game in the future that will redeem this belated effort.

Great effort getting this out guys, can we have a sequel in the next 2 years please chaps?
  17. Aug 15, 2011
    Duke nukem 3d had defined sexual content in gaming but when picking this up and looking at the stupid OFLC rating of MA15+ for strong violence,sexual refrences,drug refrences and crude humor I thought it was going to be a fun and slightly dirty game but I was wrong in more ways then one.

The games graphics were dirty the framrates were strange and swearing (which was in the raiting) was so frequent and disusting that the game had me on the edge plus the games nudity was not funny or sexual in the way the original made it but insted reliestic and strange the game also seemed to try so many things to make it worth the time E.G throwing feces, making jokes about the games devlopment and large amount of gore and weapons but the game just fails in 3 hours then its run gun and get fustrated then turn it off from the content that the game does so well but makes it fell that the devlopers tried too hard. in the end its mediocre but got a six because the multiplayer is good fun and the boss battles are good large scale and remind you of the old duke.
  18. Jun 15, 2011
    To everyone who blast this game to less than 5 out of 10, you didnt understand anything about it. Its nostalgia and the end of a terrible terrible project of 12 years, and just for that, it should be celebrated. Game is alright by 2001 standards and is very playable. This is not a 0 or 1 game, it's a 5 to 7 game, ugly but effective. Duke is Duke and that's all we wanted.
  19. Oct 3, 2011
    Its not a bad game by any means just not great or what it should have been Its good in the respect that it has good old duke back and all his quotes and all the original enemy's and weapons but that's where parts of the game fall flat most of the enemy's are the same and are animated very stiffly and really no new weapons beside dukes fists and a two weapon limit? Why? If Prey, DOOM 3 andIts not a bad game by any means just not great or what it should have been Its good in the respect that it has good old duke back and all his quotes and all the original enemy's and weapons but that's where parts of the game fall flat most of the enemy's are the same and are animated very stiffly and really no new weapons beside dukes fists and a two weapon limit? Why? If Prey, DOOM 3 and Quake 4 can have unlimited weapons why cant duke? And another disappointment no mighty foot from Duke 3d just the generic weapon butt attack every fps uses now and days. And the graphics arnt bad just not great If you like the old duke games you will find something to like here And oh did i mention the ending has to have been the biggest slap in the face ive seen in a LONG time. Expand
  20. Jun 16, 2011
    After 12 years Duke Nukem Forever could never live up the hype, what Gearbox delivers is most definatly a Duke Nukem game, with all the raunchy humor and outdated one liners you've come to expect from a "Duke" game. Past the Duke Nukem panache it is a fairly mediocre shooter that doesn't do anything to evolve the FPS genre. The graphics are sufficent but outdated and would have been muchAfter 12 years Duke Nukem Forever could never live up the hype, what Gearbox delivers is most definatly a Duke Nukem game, with all the raunchy humor and outdated one liners you've come to expect from a "Duke" game. Past the Duke Nukem panache it is a fairly mediocre shooter that doesn't do anything to evolve the FPS genre. The graphics are sufficent but outdated and would have been much more impressive 4 years ago. Gameplay wise it is your standard shooter. Overall Duke Nukem Forever is a nostolgic experiance but playing it is more a cathartic culmination of 12 years failed relaunches. So now that Duke Nukem has finally arrived I hope Gearbox leaves this franchise alone and get back to production on Borderlands 2. Expand
  21. Jun 15, 2011
    This game isn't for CoD or Halo babies, its for people who played Duke when it originally came out way back when Windows 3.11 and 95 were around. It brings you back to the 90's. Greatest part ever is picking up a turd out the toilet throwing it against the wall and unlocking the Turd Burglar achievement. I think most the critics had way to high expectation for this game its meant to be theThis game isn't for CoD or Halo babies, its for people who played Duke when it originally came out way back when Windows 3.11 and 95 were around. It brings you back to the 90's. Greatest part ever is picking up a turd out the toilet throwing it against the wall and unlocking the Turd Burglar achievement. I think most the critics had way to high expectation for this game its meant to be the way it is! That being said they could have made it a lot more eye catching in the graphics department and it could have used a bit more polishing overall, but still its Duke Nukem ffs! Expand
  22. Jun 16, 2011
    If you are over 20 and thought the game was going to be good, you are stupid and I really mean that. Everything about this game is dated and they never promised us graphics and gameplay that made Crysis or Halo look like crap. For what the game is supposed to be, kind of a joke lets be honest its a fun game. Minus the nostalgic humor and looking it as a regular game its **** plain andIf you are over 20 and thought the game was going to be good, you are stupid and I really mean that. Everything about this game is dated and they never promised us graphics and gameplay that made Crysis or Halo look like crap. For what the game is supposed to be, kind of a joke lets be honest its a fun game. Minus the nostalgic humor and looking it as a regular game its **** plain and simple but most of it are not looking at it that way so I'm saying its a fun playthrough but not even close to a classic. Expand
  23. Jun 15, 2011
    I just want to quickly explain why I bought this game. But first, why I didn't buy it. I did not buy this game because I wanted a fun FPS experience, because I knew it wouldn't deliver. Look at the cover. It screams game not to be taken seriously. Did I buy this game because I thought it would bring a great multi-player into this world. Of course not. Why on earth would anyone think this.I just want to quickly explain why I bought this game. But first, why I didn't buy it. I did not buy this game because I wanted a fun FPS experience, because I knew it wouldn't deliver. Look at the cover. It screams game not to be taken seriously. Did I buy this game because I thought it would bring a great multi-player into this world. Of course not. Why on earth would anyone think this. Let me summarize what Duke Nukem Forever is: A project that wasn't finished. If you know something about the creation of Duke Nukem Forever, then you wouldn't have been writing all these bad reviews. Everyone here who wrote a "red" review knows nothing about how this game was made.

Have you ever spent way too long on something because you wanted it to be as good as possible. That's what they did. Except every time they were close to finishing the game a new physics engine or graphics engine was revealed. so they kept redoing it. And in the end they just said: **** it, lets just release this and get it over with!"

Bad graphics? Yes, they were never meant to be as good as Crysis. Bad animation? Yes, because it is supposed to be like an arcade game. Oh and this game wasn't made in 2010. It was made in 1997. You can only adapt so much.

I agree, it is not perfect in any way. But the point of the game is to laugh while you have fun killing aliens. That's all!
  24. Jun 14, 2011
    This is a better game than people are making it out to be. It had such high expectations, but the game did not meet those expectations. However, people had TOO high of expectations from this, and are underrating this game very much.
  25. Jun 14, 2011
    It's not horrible, and considering the history behind the making of it kind of makes the experience a little bit more enjoyable. The controls are a bit over sensitive and don't ease to a stop at all - when you move around everything sort of snaps to place instead of moving with a natural feel to it. The characters are absolutely atrocious, but I think that was the point. Duke Nukem himselfIt's not horrible, and considering the history behind the making of it kind of makes the experience a little bit more enjoyable. The controls are a bit over sensitive and don't ease to a stop at all - when you move around everything sort of snaps to place instead of moving with a natural feel to it. The characters are absolutely atrocious, but I think that was the point. Duke Nukem himself is a full of himself **** and he lives in a world centered around him. The game is also very sexist, but this is intentional and I don't think it's meant to be taken as offensively as it's portrayed. There are probably more sex jokes in the game than for its own good and some of the humor is a little lame AND A LOT of the things Duke Nukem says was borrowed from other badass male figures - most of which are from Bruce Campbell movies (like the Evil Dead series - "Hail to the king, baby"). Duke isn't necessarily likable, but, of course, that's the point, and at times his obnoxiousness is very funny. It's kind of like a stereotypical-man's fantasy game with all the women bending over for you and all the other guys thinking your the biggest badass in the world, but at the same time it's a very twisted world, and Duke himself, being so arrogant, can blow up right hand babes of his knowing that he can have as many more as he wants. I, personally, find it darkly hilarious, because it's sort of like... the worst kind of cartoon parallel universe ever. Everything that goes wrong for everyone else can improve your character's ego, and it doesn't matter, because your character is better than everyone else - however this dark joke is taken much too long, and it even feels long for such a considerably short game. Compared to other games out now, this is pretty damn horrible, but that's only in comparison. On it's own, it's okay, and though I'm not too entirely sure about the game's replay value, I can at least enjoy it through one walkthrough - plus, compared to the Duke Nukem games of the past, this is a pretty decent improvement. Expand
  26. Jul 13, 2011
    Plenty of reasons exist for gamers to dislike DNF, but only one stuck out to me enough to mar the game experience: the technology running the game is a mess. Loading screens will easily last 30 seconds or longer (something I don't normally complain about, since Mass Effect 2 also had long load screens - except ME2 actually had gameplay worth waiting for), textures rarely ever load rightPlenty of reasons exist for gamers to dislike DNF, but only one stuck out to me enough to mar the game experience: the technology running the game is a mess. Loading screens will easily last 30 seconds or longer (something I don't normally complain about, since Mass Effect 2 also had long load screens - except ME2 actually had gameplay worth waiting for), textures rarely ever load right away, and the quality of the graphics inversely relates to the framerate (i.e. good graphics with bad framerate, bad graphics with smooth framerate). I think I would have been willing to overlook any of the game's shortcomings if it looked and ran as well as Call of Duty or any other big-budget shooter. It's not the most inventive game to come around, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun. I actually had more fun than I was expecting to with the driving/platforming segments, and the shooting itself boasts a large variety of weapons and enemies. The level design is pretty linear, but the backdrops were often exciting to me. Sadly, the game seems to struggle even with the archaic technology behind it. It's not unplayable, but prepare to be frustrated by at least a few things if you decide to pick this game up. Expand
  27. Jun 27, 2011
    The game itself is quite fun. It does have it's moments. What gets me is it seems the producers forgot Duke is supposed to be a parody. They take him seriously. And that is the biggest problem by far with this game.
  28. Jun 23, 2011
    Not going to lie I haven't made it all the way thru... I was pretty entertained for the first half hour to hour but now this game feels like work and the only reason I have interest in finishing it is b/c of how bad the reviews are... There are some cool gameplay mechanics here... BUT, majority of the enemy encounters feel too arena based and the gunplay is just not fun... The best partNot going to lie I haven't made it all the way thru... I was pretty entertained for the first half hour to hour but now this game feels like work and the only reason I have interest in finishing it is b/c of how bad the reviews are... There are some cool gameplay mechanics here... BUT, majority of the enemy encounters feel too arena based and the gunplay is just not fun... The best part of the game is interacting with the objects in the environments and that eventually gets old too... This game is not a 4/10, but it's understandable considering the long awaited hype... Also Why no iron sights? Expand
  29. Jun 27, 2011
    To me this game seemed to lack a lot of things.
    But the nostalgia trip kept me satisfied throughout the game. The game play was average at best and the graphics look like they were made for a game in 2007.
    The story was easy to follow but It just couldn't keep me immersed in the game. But the bad things aside, some parts of the game were amazingly fun. If it was just a battle against a
    To me this game seemed to lack a lot of things.

The story was easy to follow but It just couldn't keep me immersed in the game.
    But the bad things aside, some parts of the game were amazingly fun.
    If it was just a battle against a pig cop or a epic boss battle, it always managed to be fun.

All in all this game is something I wish I rented rather than bought.
  30. Oct 25, 2012
    Its Good But not great u should consider the ps3 version or hell, pc version over this

1. Dec 12, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever aspires to take gamers back to a different period in the gaming continuum. What it will really do is inspire you to take it back to the store for a full and complete refund.
  2. Sep 14, 2011
    The potential for a fun but simple shooter is here, but even with Gearbox at the helm Duke Nukem Forever is clearly a hastily-cobbled sum of unfinished parts. It could have been epic if it was released 3 to 4 years ago, but nowadays there are new rivals for the throne.
  3. Games Master UK
    Jul 25, 2011
    How can Duke be such a dick, have such an inconsistently crappy game and we still enjoy it? [Sept 2011, p.84]