7.8

1. Aug 24, 2012
    powell22 not only you're spamming your useless **** retarded ads, but you give also this game only a 6. Are you also an useless retarded other than an useless **** spammer? Really, spamming your ads in a review spot. You're useless. Ah, and the game it's great by the way, I really love it. A full 10.
  2. Aug 19, 2012
    I had been anticipating Dust: An Elysian Tail since I found out it won Microsoft's Dream.Build.Play back in '09. After a long wait, it finally received a release date of August 15, 2012, during Xbox Live's Summer of Arcade. Every year, there has been a memorable SOA release that really stands out--Braid, Shadow Complex, Limbo, and Bastion, just to name a few. So is Dust: An Elysian Tail this year's inductee into the Summer of Arcade Hall of Fame?

The short answer is a resounding Yes.

Before I even state everything that makes Dust an amazing game, I am well aware of some people disregarding it, on the fact that the game contains anthropomorphic characters, or "furries", as some may call them, which may not be everyone's fancy for reasons that may or may not have some bias behind them. It's those people I feel sorry for, because they will be missing out on one extraordinary game.

Dust: Any Eysian Tail is the work of creator--and by creator, I mean ONE creator. Yes, this game was made by pretty much one guy--Dean Dodrill, as his love letter to old-school Metroidvania-style games. And if one guy could make this game, imagine what could come to light if he had a team.

First and foremost, Dust is a beautiful game. The hand-crafted scenery is beyond incredible; it really looks like something that came from a team of professional illistrators, not one guy. And the movements of the characters themselves looks nicely down.

Speaking of the characters, they are lovable. The close-ups we get of them during cutscenes and the emotions they protray during certain dialogue is all nicely portrayed. The voice-acting is top notch as well, even though the lip-syncing can be off at times. There may be moments where characters can become cringe-worthy, but these moments are few and far between. Being put off just because these characters are anthropomorphic shouldn't even come across for anything. And the music of Dust is really good as well. Almost like you're always listening to a live orchestra. The story follows the character of Dust, an amnesiac who wakes with no knowledge of his past. He is met up with a sentient sword known as Ahrah, and its flying fox guardian, Fidget. It is Dust's journey to re-discover his past and save the future. Yeah, I know it's very vague, but for a Metacritic review, you have to believe me when I say the story delves into such an addictive narrative, that at the end I was extremely satisfied. Fidget also happens to be my favorite character, and her funny dialogue throughout the whole experience kept a smile on my face.

When it comes to combat, this is more than your typical hack-and-slash game. Dust has variety of moves, but the one that really stands out is his Dust Storm ability. It can cause some serious damage on its own, but combining it with Fidget's "weak" powerball attack, it will spread her attack into a multitude of damaging attacks that will hit everything on the screen and boost a heavy combo chain.

Throughout my entire playthrough of the game, if there was one thing I had touch upon that could have been better, it would have to be the boss battles. At times, the bosses can appear to be easy pushovers, almost to the point where some enemies themselves where harder to defeat. That may appear to make the game too easy, and honestly, at times, it is. Thankfully there are a multitude of difficulties to choose from, so none of this was a real bother for me. But I can see why it may bother others.

You can get through the main story of Dust in about 6-10 hours, depending on playstyle. However, there are side quests, arena challenges, and so much exploration to be done, that playtime can easily be doubled. Only once or twice did things appear to get a little repetitive, but since there are always new areas, enemies, and even cameos to discover, this hardly seemed like a tidbit to bring up.

In summary, Dust: An Elysian Tail is an amazing game. This game is, not only the best Summer of Arcade release this year, not only one of the best Summer of Arcade releases ever, this game is one of the best Xbox Live Arcade games . . . of all time. I would like to thank Dean Dodrill for making such an amazing piece of art with his own blood, sweat, and tears. Because this game just earned him a lot of respect in the video game industry.
  3. Aug 19, 2012
    Game of The Year 2012!!!! I must say a few days ago I had not heard of this game but after a good review on destructoid I gave it a shot and exceeded all my expectations. My favourite video game ever was castlevania dawn of sorrow but Dust just took the cake. On top of being made by just one guy the combat is incredibly refined yet challenging for a side scrolling action RPG. The only con to this game is the furries but after a few hours the stories Eastern charm grips you and easily rivals a Hayao Miyazaki anime.

Also All the critics who hated on the music are idiots because with true surround sound it sounds amazing!

This is the sleeper hit of video games this year and possibly ever!
  4. Aug 30, 2012
    It is one of those games that captivates you from the moment you see it. Dust: An Elysian Tail to my opinion, is the best game to come out on Xbox Live Arcade to date. RPG, platform, action, a combat system that is not boring, otherworldly visuals. In short, by 1200MSP can play a game that easily surpasses many physical games that have flooded the market these days.
  5. Aug 22, 2012
    This game is awesome. Don't be fooled by the trailers and videos, where the game looks like simple button mashing game like old Golden Axe. There is so much more, the videos wont show you. Especially elements from the RPG games. And now I don't mean only leveling and skills. Or looting and crafting better equipment. But mainly the deep world with lots of friendly chatty NPCs and side quests, that just draw you into the game. The dialogues are very well written, sometimes providing choices of multiple answer choices or humor. And the voicing is very well done. The figthing itself is fun and there are always some new types of enemies, that wont let you use same button combination again and again. And the graphics are simply amazing. It is almost unbelievable this game was made by one person (except details like voicing). This guy is genius, because he made game with more production values than some bigger professional studios.
    Even if it is sold just like a Arcade for few bucks. This game can be compared to the full price games like Rayman. I can definitely recommend this game to anybody.
  6. Aug 20, 2012
    Amazing game, the graphics, the story, the development of the story, the gameplay is perfect on the new Microsoft Game Studios, Dust: An Elysian Tail. Amazing game.
  7. Aug 26, 2012
    I think guillermops review has its integrity ruined by his prejudice against an art style. Which is sad, since the game has stunning art, touching story that appeals to the younger generation as well as leaving light hearted jokes that can charm many ages of gamers. Since it failed to touch on anything else but focus on the "furry" issue they cannot get their head around, I can't really deem that a useful review. Surprised that one other person did, somewhat.

The story really expands when you begin to do all the quests, without them, you simply will be missing out on particular chapters of the game that just make it a fuller experience. The voice acting is staggeringly good for a game made by a single man, considering his low budget and tiny team, I'm thoroughly impressed by what he has achieved here. A must buy.
  8. Oct 16, 2012
    This game is beautiful i wouldn't mind to see another game by Humble Hearts, Dust AET has everything, a nice control, gorgeous graphics, nice characters and a good plot. if you are willing to download a Xbox live arcade game just give a shot to Dust you wont be disappointed.
  9. Sep 8, 2012
    First and foremost, this is the most beautiful game I have seen on any console. As the game starts, I felt like I was inside a Disney cartoon. The game play is great. It has a good mixture of challenging (not throw the controller at the wall challenging) platforming and combat. Dust is a genre all to its own, bringing RPG elements to a side scrolling fighter in a whole new way. There are side quests, different cities to explore (which have very decent sized maps), loot to gather and new abilities to unlock. The story is decent, actually great for what you may expect to see on XBL. All of this is even more impressive, since it is the work of one person (minus the music and voice acting). In closing, you must buy this game. Expand
  10. Sep 9, 2012
    You just can`t miss out on this game, it has a great story with a surprising twist that will blow your mind.
    And the combat animations are amazing. You will ogle at the art style and graphical and you will immersive yourself fully after the first 5 min of the game. A side note the demo is not the same as the full game.
    I recommend buying this only if you like what the demo showed. By
    far one of the best Arcade games on XBOX right now. Get it! Expand
  11. Sep 7, 2012
    Dust: An Elysian Tail è una di quelle gemme indipendenti che attendono solo di essere scoperte e di essere portate alla ribalta del grande pubblico perchè abbiano la possibilità di ottenere la visibilità ed il successo che meritano.
    Per il titolo in questione la storia è stata proprio questa: doveva infatti essere rilasciato nella sezione di Xbox Live
    dedicata ai giochi indipendenti, ma è stato intelligentemente Expand
  12. Nov 13, 2012
    Old school fun and gaming! Must buy for anyone with a Xbox! The animations and art style are some of the best in this generation of the 2D genre. Buy it now!
  13. Nov 4, 2012
    Truly an amazing game. What sets this apart from so many other games? Love. You can see it, you can feel it when you play. Why is that. It was made by one guy. Not some corporate tool bag. One fella with drive, creativity and love.

Of course, one guy can't do everything. The voice talent is top-notch, and the writing for that matter is fantastic. You can see the influence of historic
    games like Castlevania's energy-restoring fully cooked meat in a breakable wall, the Metroid-Blaster Masteresque notion of gaining power-ups to proceed to previously unreachable parts. I'd go so far to suggest that Out of This World was an influence, if you've beaten that game and you get to the end of Dust, you'll know what I mean.

The animations are amazing, the slash-combat is endlessly satisfying. The dash ability if very useful in the absence of complicated fighting mechanics (that other games seem bent on doing).

The music is exactly what this game calls for. It is well done and harnesses the nuances the world of the game seems to desire.

It's simple: do like memorable games? Get this. You won't be disappointed. You'll be elated.
  14. Jan 22, 2013
    This site has been a part of my daily life for years, but I never felt compelled to join until I finished this masterpiece. One reviewer mentioned earlier that you can tell this game was made with love, and it cannot be said any better than that. Every aspect of the game pulses with energy, joy, and intensity, and most of all, total refinement. The core gameplay tools (combos, dashes, and such) are introduced pretty early on, and are not expanded upon in any real way after the first few hours. At face value, this appears to be an area where the game lacks. But the more I played and became comfortable with the controls, I realized there are more than enough ways to dispatch your enemies in an incredibly satisfying and complex way. It's a system that rewards creativity, practice, and skill. For instance, if you kill an enemy by simply using the standard sword combo (mashing the x button), you will not be rewarded with anything extra. Here is just one example of an alternate route to combat. Slide attack an enemy to get him into the air, hit the dash button and backflip past him to where you started, and slash the airborn enemy once, and then launch him further into the air with a stylish upward slash. Upon meeting him in the air, enter an dangerous torpedo mode, slashing past the enemy, back and forth, several times before unleashing a couple more airborn sword attacks. Cap it off by grabbing the (most likely dead) enemy and pile drive him into the ground, and watch the force of it send surrounding enemies flying through the air. You will be rewarded with a hefty experience bonus. Very rarely does a game come along where you feel this powerful, this capable of single-handedly wiping out hordes of enemies. That's not to say that enemies aren't formidable. Sure, you can go through the game mashing the x button the whole time, but on any level beyond the default difficulty, this is not possible. I highly recommend playing one level beyond the default difficulty. It is difficult, but always fair. You will always feel that you deserved to die because of your own mistakes, and you will understand almost immediately what you did wrong. This is not an easy balance for games to find, and it significantly increases the game's already hefty longevity.

Moving along, this is perhaps the prettiest game I've ever seen. That doesn't mean the graphics are great. There's a very big difference between good graphics and thoughtful artwork. The amount of organic detail in the environments is completely staggering. There was not one moment where I thought the visuals lacked in any way. The bulk of the time, I was in awe.

Other aspects of the presentation are spot on. I've played probably a hundred rpgs in my life, and this is one of the best soundtracks ever. There was a moment during one of the dungeons where a couple specific cord changes, coupled with the epic combat going on, was emotionally overwhelming to me. That is not something that happens in videogames. That is reserved for only the best television and film productions. I'll add that I am normally a pretty detached person, but this moment I just mentioned was the apex of the potential of videogames.

The story's writing is emotional and heavy. Most importantly, it generally respects its audience. The voice of the talking cat, fidget, is probably the worst thing to happen since the holocaust. Thanks for reading.
  15. Oct 22, 2014
    Dust: An Elysian Tail is an underrated masterpiece of a game! This game has of the best graphics I have seen in a 2-d hack and slash. As well as a storyline that moves at a near perfect pace. It's a metroidvania style game with it's multiple routes, secrets and treasure this is on game you can't ignore.
  16. May 26, 2013
    You rarely see games as good and as thought out as this, this is one of the most story driven games i have ever played and don't forget it is drop dead gorgeous the art style is amazing, the combat makes you feel like a bad ass even when you are doing the simplest moves sure it may put you off considering that all the characters are furries but that adds to the character that the game is trying and succeeding to show all around this is one of the best arcade games you can pick up in EVER Expand
  17. May 25, 2013
    Beautiful graphics, a wonderful mix of a RPG and an action platformer. The combat is UNBELIEVABLE! Once you gained the basic combat moves, you become a machine of death. And the characters are lovely, dialogues are mostly pretty funny. And exploration leads to a few nice surprises. I definitively recommend this game!
  18. May 29, 2013
    One of the best Arcade games I have played. I can't believe that one person made all of this. Voice acting is good (though Fidget's voice could get annoying at times), storyline is interesting, artwork is awesome (in my opinion). The gameplay is solid as well. Controls are easy and the character is very responsive and fluid.
  19. Jun 1, 2013
    Solid, fun game through and through. If you're a fan of SoTN and metroid-vania style games, you'll love it. Combat is fun and varied (though at times, it can get a bit hectic). Story is solid (especially for a 15 dollar game in this genre). Solid voice acting, -especially- solid at 15 bucks. RPG elements are standard, but well implemented. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is because personally, I reserve that for games that are revolutionary while not revolutionary, this game is a great personification of the metroid-vania style of gaming.

Even if the "box art" turns you off (all the characters are animal people), don't let that dissuade you it doesn't detract anything from the game.
  20. May 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm Not Really A Fan Of Indie Games Most Games Like Braid Seem "Ok Nothing Too Special" This Game Is An Exception "Dust An Elysian Tale" Is A Fine Piece Of Art You Should Not Skip I'll Try To Explain The Story

You Play As A Character Named Dust Who Comes Across A Sword Named The Sword Of Ahrah Who Is Watched By A Creature Named Fidget She And The Sword Of Ahrah Help Dust Remember Who He Is That's All I Can Explain Really I Only Started Playing Yesterday It's Confusing To Be Honest Now Let's Get To Gameplay

The Game Play's Like A 2D Castlevania Game You're Weapons/Attacks Is The Blade Of Ahrah And Fidget It Plays Very Well And It's Controls Are Well Responsive You Can Also Perform Combo's/New Attacks Like Combining Fidget's Attack With Dust Storm And You Can Also Find Treasure And Merchant Booths

It's Graphics And Voice Acting Is Beautiful Everything Is Very Detailed The Characters And There Design's Fit Perfectly The Only Design That's Mixed With Me Is "Fuse" He Looks Like If Psycho Mantis Was A Creature But Overall It's Pretty Good

So Far The Only Problem I Have Is The Backtracking And Every Time You Die You Restart At A Save/Teleport Area But That's It Really

+Graphics And Voice Acting
    +Character's And Designs
    + Gameplay And Attacks +Boss Fights
    +References
    -Backtracking And Checkpoints

Final Verdict Is A 100/100 With A Rating Of Masterpiece
  21. May 3, 2014
    One of the best arcade games on Xbox Live. Beuatiful 2D graphics and fantastic combo chain system makes the gameplay lovely. Also the story is addictive.
  22. Aug 26, 2012

Surprising hit you better try first in demo – you'll either love it or hate it. Those who try it may find Dust as a combination of Metroid and Castlevania games. [Oct 2012]
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    Boasting gorgeous visuals and flawless animation, Dust: An Elysian Tail offers up an interesting take on a hero's journey to discover his true identity. With solid hack'n'slash mechanics to boot this is a great addition to your games library.
  3. Oct 14, 2012
    Dust: An Elysian Tail is probably one of the best XBLA titles this year. Stunning hand-drawn graphics combined with razor-sharp gameplay ensure, that this title is definitely worth a look. [Sept 2012]