7.9

1. Mar 30, 2011
    I've been playing the Dynasty Warriors series since it began and I can say without reservation that this is the best one to date. While the story is basically the same (as it should be since it is based on historical fiction), they have actually made it more accurate to the source material, have an easier to follow story mode (which is great for those not as familiar with the story), and all of the names are pronounced correctly which is a first:) The game play is has been changed slightly in that Musou moves are now one shot mega-blows instead of a meter that drains. A cool and well implemented change. For those who didn't like DW6 (I actually really liked it), this goes back to of the look of DW5 in so much as the style. However, the graphics are fantastic and they, from my estimation, have crammed more enemies on screen than any other DW game to date. If you have even a vague interest in Dynasty Warriors or beat-em-ups in general, this is a phenomenal purchase. There is a veritable ton of content and over 60 characters. I know I'll be playing this one for months. Expand
  2. Mar 30, 2011
    I have to say I'm extremely impressed by Dynasty Warriors 7. I went in expecting an uninspired, mind-numbing time killer like most of the rest of the games in this franchise, but it seems like Koei finally took a long hard look at the franchise, looked at what worked, what didn't work, and used it to make a very solid experience. The game feels fully polished, and its story-telling rivals that of industry giants, and they have added many more battles and events than all of their previous games, though the story and setting remains the same. The learning curve strikes a perfect balance between features you start with and features you need to earn. The only lament I have for this game is that the battles still haven't returned to the tactical depth that they once had in the PS2 era, but the combat system has been improved enough to make the game fun enough that I can barely notice. I highly recommend this game, especially if you enjoyed other Warriors games, because this one is by far the finest to date. Expand
  3. Mar 30, 2011
    I was amazed with how the story mode has changed, compared to previous Dynasty Warrior games. There is much more to it then before and the telling of these tales are given much more life and vibrancy then ever before. The voices of the characters are still a little weird, but aren't quite as awkward as before.

But besides this, the small changes to game play (like the weapon switching)
    doesn't really change the fact that this is still a Dynasty Warrior game. Hacking hundreds of mindless soldiers is still the name of the game. Also while the graphics have been improved, there is still some slow downs, especially when the battles become frantic and there are a lot of enemies present on screen.

Overall, there are a number of good changes made to this seventh entry in the series that does help advance this series more often then not. But overall it still mostly remains to be the same game we've all played many times before.
  4. Apr 13, 2011
    No doubt that this is the best Dynasty Warriors yet! It amazes me how much they have improved this game. The graphics have made a drastic change from the others that came before it. The moves each character does is more unique, and a lot more detailed. The story has come from random meaningless cut scenes, to a more accurate and enjoyable storyline. While making these big steps forward, some of the moves are recycled based on the weapon being used. As a loyal dynasty warriors fan, I love that they brought back most of the characters' unique characteristics that were lost in Dynasty Warriors 6. But overall, a wonderful and addictive game that i recommend. Expand
  5. May 27, 2011
    If you have never played a Dynasty Warriors (Samurai/Gundam Warriors) game, then this game would be an 8 as an enjoyable beat em 'up. If you have played one of those, save your money and play some more of it. Trust me, you won't notice a difference in any way that matters. This score is a knock on the lack of innovation and constant churning out of the same game year after year more than the quality of a stand alone piece. Bottom line...its not standing alone. Expand
  6. Jun 21, 2011
    Dynasty Warriors 7 is by far the best of the series. The storyline actually had my feeling for the characters! Their is so much to unlock and the combat is a great mix of 6s fluid martial arts and the previous games crazy weapons. They brought back elephants and tigers, etc..you can even ride a bear! This game is exactly what Dynasty Warriors series needed. Now if they would just make a Samurai Warriors in the same model as this on xbox and ps3 instead of forcing it on the Wii Expand
  7. Apr 9, 2011
    Pros: 1) Incredibly fun 2) Many different weapon variety's 3) Loads of characters 4) Replayable 5) Riding horses into battle! Cons: 1) If your new to Dynasty Warriors (like me) its hard to grasp the full story and each character story 2) The optional scholar questions which give you money seem to be only for the hardcore fans 3) Its under appreciated by critics Would of give it more but with being new to the franchise you get basically no explanation to the different kingdoms and why they fighting. Took me a few battles to find out who the "good guy" kingdom were. Expand
  8. Apr 13, 2011
    I have been playing Dynasty Warriors since its first release and I have no doubt in my mind that this is the best DW game to date. The graphics are excellent and by that i mean about 9/10 better graphics than the original games and trust me i have had every single game including the Extreme legends titles and the Empires titles. The gamplay is an old original fighting system used in the earlier games, and its great and i easy to get used to. As you probably know it is a hack/slash game. As for the story, it is almost the same but this time instead of there being the three kingdoms (Wei, Wu, Shu) there is a new faction called "Jin" making every campaign end in a new way which is an interesting and risky way of making a new game but it worked well adding new characters and bringing back some old Favorites. But there is also another new feature that was used in Dynasty Warriors Strike force, where you can have 2 weapons at once and you can also change those weapons any time you want in the pause menu. But it also feels awkward playing as Lu Bu and using a sword. Since we are in that category each character has there own special move (and no its not the musou move) for example if you hit X,X then Y with Lu Bu and you keep hitting Y he will preform A move where he grabs his opponent and slams them to the ground. So all together i thought this was a great game. Expand
  9. May 13, 2011
    I have been a fan of Dynasty Warriors since its inception with part 1 as a 2-d fighter. When it changed to it's more commonly known play-style I loved it. The series has been a little stale lately with part 6 and strikeforce. I was skeptical about buying another DW after those 2 games, but a friend of mine said it has returned to its former glory and he wasn't kidding!

7 is a great step
    forward for the series and should probably be the last one of what I like to call the "Chinese Historical series". Seriously, I know more about China's history than I do my own. They should probably move on to another nations historical time like rome or england or something.

I thought the new story mode was a breath of fresh air in the fact that it is now more structured in a correct historical sense. Tons of characters with unique looks and newer costumes spice things up. hundreds of new weapons to choose from and new animal guardians keep you safer should you need them.

Graphics and sound are no better than before but I don't mind that since it lets me kill more peasants. and only after hours of play online did i even notice any of that dreaded slowdown. If I were a gamer new to this series this is the end all be all of action fighter games. If I were an old dog to the series this would rekindle that old flame of slaying tens of thousands of peasants in your emperors honor.
  10. Oct 16, 2011
    It's pretty sad that professional reviewers don't even bother to properly play through the entirety of the DW7 campaign before criticizing the game on aspects that are present in all AAA games. Should Gears of War or even God of War be criticized for the mindless button mashing/holding you will be performing through the 10/20 hours of the single player portion of these games? No, they won't. They don't looking at the real flaws of the game which in my personal opinion is a TPS version of Diablo minus the gigantic looting table.

Short background on myself and my relation with Dynasty Warriors, DW7 is my first DW title after playing DW3 eons ago, Warriors Orochi 2 and Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 and, the former being a relatively entertaining game if you are a Gundam fan, although it plays nothing like how a Gundam game should. So I came in DW7 knowing what type of game I was getting into, killing thousands of weak cannon fodders, some relatively weak lieutenants, and the officers who might or might not be a challenge. It's an easy game even on the normal difficulty, and the harder difficulties like in Diablo are only there for you to play through after you reach a certain level. The leveling system constitutes of earning skill points which are spent in the character skill tree and acquiring stronger armaments, and wow, there are plenty of them. This bring us to the core of the game: Combos that will shatter the heavens!

Combos are performed by mashing your attack button then unleashing a charge skill attack then swapping to your secondary weapon which is another attack in itself depending on the weapon you are using. You can artfully continue the combo with the secondary weapon. The key here is that mashing buttons like an idiot will get you no where, each charge attack have a different purpose: toss your enemy in the air to follow up with an aerial or juggling combo, a stun attack, an aoe attack, a crazy combo attack, a crazy combo attack with an aoe attack embedded. Most weapons have the same style of charge attack with some differences here and there, for example the twin axes stun attack is an extremely deadly one, and the giant sword favors aoe attacks. Since we are on the subject of weapons, there are around 40 of them, and since you can carry two at a time, the combination should allow for some pretty interesting scenarios of mass slaughter.

But you know what I really loved about DW7? Not the gameplay which is fun, not the graphics which are ok for a next gen DW game, not the music which is superb, but the story. I actually cared about the characters I was controlling, I found some of them endearing, and I even felt empathy for them. While there are some giant cliche the three big honchos follow like Liu Bei is a benevolent leader, Sun Jiang the family man, and Cao Cao is the man with a dream who will stop at nothing to make it come true, I actually love how the story does show us how they evolve to that point, their doubts, their fears and how ultimately the story of the Romance of three kingdoms play out down to the last breath of their heroes and leaders. There's even a bonus campaign which is roughly of the same size (10/14 hours) of the three individual campaign (yeah, it's a lengthy game) that brings us to the end of an age and the beginning of a new one. How's that for "mindless boring uninspired" game? If you don't want to spend $xx on every new title, get this one, it's the quintessential DW game.

The music is great specially the ones played during the major battles. Talking about the battles themselves in the story mode (Story Mode and Conquest Mode are the two main mode in DW7), each mission is varied, sure you will go from point A to B, and sometimes back to A before proceeding to C, but it keeps thing fresh with each missions having their own little things happening. During one particular major battle, you will be sneaking to a supply depot to distract the enemy, then proceed to flank and crush the enemy forces who are engaging your side's main army then proceed to get the head of their leader. While in another mission, just when you thought your push towards the enemy base was going smoothly, an enemy force lead by a hero/officer has sneaked around towards your base or your friends might end in ambushes and in need of rescuing. The major battle are packed with more interesting events and even gimmicks like firing catapults at advancing siege weapon or a minigun-like weapon in a few scenarios which were entertaining for the most parts.

The only flaw is the drawing distance but that seemed to be only an issue in Conquest mode which is a bit like a big challenge map with scenarios including escort, search and rescue, and defend as well as arenas and special missions for each characters.

Conclusion. The DW game you want to pick up for the best retelling of the Romance of three kingdoms story. The DLCs released for this game is good as well.
  11. Oct 21, 2011
    Gran videojuego, puedo que no tenga la mejor tecnologia respecto a los graficos pero es tan divertido que se le perdona. Un elenco de personajes enorme y una duración largisima asi como una historia muy currada (basada en The Romence of three Kingdoms)

12. Dec 17, 2012
    Excellent game, I have been a fan of the dynasty warrior games since they first come out! I have seen how they have changed and adapted to people making suggestions about how it improve it and what not :) Critics who rate this lower than 70 probably ain't never played the previous ones nor researched how it has changed for the better over the years.
  13. Dec 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. hi my name is david and i want to say the dynasty warriors series is my favourite of all time always being facinated by asia and its mythology and history this was a dream come true!

looking forward to dynasty wiarriors 8 on xbox 360
    bring it home people!

by the way cai wenji rocks! :)
  14. Jul 9, 2013
    Personally I have no problem with the franchise since I'm a Chinese and I love the romance of three kingdoms since I was a child and I would like more western people to embrace the goodness of the series( it's like Game of throne Chinese version with no nudities). Dynasty warriors 7 did offer that without the doubt, the massive character roster and the Ex abilities made the game a lot more fun to play and did made each characters unique, this game certainly made its amend to the last dynasty warrior (the one removed combo attack). HOWEVER the Xbox 360 version just have so many problems than the others platforms. First off all, I don't understand why you can't adjust the brightness of the game, I have tried everything on my TV to make the game brightest as possible but still I have to suffer most of the game in complete darkness( I wish I can upload a picture of this, seriously you can't see ANYTHING there are frame rate issues with the Xbox version sometimes you can't chain your combos properly in a huge fight and I understand Xbox is not PC you can't expect a 7 year old hardware to run perfectly I just wish they would polish it better. The texture of the most place is just ugly and looked 720p ish just rescaled from it probably, this game was released in 2011 for god sake). My last problem with the game is how they changed my favourite character's weapon for no apparent reason. Guan Yu(关羽)'s Moon Blade and Zhao Yun (赵云)'s Dragon spear is not in this version which was replaced by spike and normal spear, and I'm talking about a whole 2 sections of the weapons just removed from the game which made me infuriating because I know these 2 sections are in the both ps3 versions (legend edition and the regular) and the pc version. And they are not in the weapon dlc neither so I can't even pay to get the stuff supposedly in the game. In the end dynasty warrior 7 did made its amend to the previous game but the xbox version just not worth your time, money and effort unless you are willing to forgive its ugly textures and frame rate issues. If you are like me who just love the franchise and lore behind it, I urge you to play this game on the ps3 version( get the legend edition with extra characters+ all the weapons and legend mode) or the pc version(really good port) Expand
  15. Sep 18, 2014
    Dynasty Warriors 7 is tons of fun despite being a bit of a mindless hack n' slash. It is a noticeable improvement from number 6, with a better catalogue of achievements, an expanded character roster with more movesets, and way better weapon and levelling systems. This game is far from a masterpiece, but it is definitely worth its price point, and will provide hours of fun.
  16. TSW
    Oct 27, 2014
    Anyone say this game is bad and I'll murder them! Now I'm new to dynasty warriors but seriously the game is glorious! it's got a lovely cast of characters to play as and amazingly satisfying combat. buy it you need it!

Dynasty Warriors 7 are quite an average piece of hack'n'slash genre. The concept of the game itself is not bad but the developers buried all the fun in an extréme stereotype. [June 2011]
  2. May 30, 2011
    This new chapter in the Dynasty Warriors saga introduces some interesting changes on gameplay. The new story mode is fascinating, and the introduction of the 2 weapons really interesting. The gameplay and the graphics are similar to the previous chapter, so the fans will like it, while the others find the game repetitive and boring.
  3. May 25, 2011
    You know it's not a masterpiece, but you're after a bit of escapist fun - nothing less, but nothing more.