8.0

1. Aug 21, 2016
    EA Sports MMA was EA's first attempt at an MMA game before acquiring the UFC licence,and it's solid for the most part.

The gameplay is solid,the ground game is set to the face buttons for transitions,takedowns,engaging in a clinch etc.,while strikes are on the right stick.I like control scheme,but the ground game is made too easy by it.The striking and clinch are better balanced thankfully.There is no UFC licence,but a few of it's fighters from the time (2010) are in the game.There is an unlicensed version of PRIDE in the game,without the foot stomps or soccer kicks unfortunately.The career mode is pretty basic too to be honest.

The graphics are quite good,but the framerate hitches occasionally,and load times are extremely long.Some loading screens can last longer than a fight.

Sound design is good,with solid commentary etc.,and the soundtrack is very good too.

EA Sports MMA is a solid game when all is said and done.It would have been great with more licences,a more interesting career mode,and much shorter load times.Pick it up if you want a solid MMA game on the cheap.
  2. Oct 30, 2010
    I'm a huge MMA fan and I wanted to love this game. I really did. But it is so absolutely meh. There isn't anything wrong with the game per se, but it just feels like a budget title and lacks any and all oomph. Boring, predictable and ho-hum to the point of coma inducing, but it DOES work as intended so I am compelled to at least give it a 5. But I am NOT compelled to reccomend it.
  3. Oct 26, 2010
    First off I am a huge mma fan. Have been since the introduction of this sport back in the nineties. I owned both UFC Undisputed 2009 and 2010(and any other mma title). Loved them as a fan of the sport. As a gamer not so much. In short, I traded both in at Gamestop for this game. I was repaid 10x over. EA Sports MMA is the best mma game to date. The depth all around is amazing. You reallyFirst off I am a huge mma fan. Have been since the introduction of this sport back in the nineties. I owned both UFC Undisputed 2009 and 2010(and any other mma title). Loved them as a fan of the sport. As a gamer not so much. In short, I traded both in at Gamestop for this game. I was repaid 10x over. EA Sports MMA is the best mma game to date. The depth all around is amazing. You really get to explore the sport of mma and not just a company. Career mode takes you deep in as you start out fighting in lesser known leagues and venues fighting your way to the big time. With different rule sets for each league as in real life mma. Gameplay is off the charts. Gamers really have to play smart and use different strategies for different fighters. Controls are easy for anyone to learn. Yet still must be used in a strategic fashion in gameplay. No button mashing. No rotating the controller till your thumbs give in. And as for the roster of fighters, not as big as Undisputed. Some may be lesser known to casual fans but are just as tough or skillful as any in UFC. That's why this game is great it gives new fans a look into the world of mma with fighters from all across the globe. Not in an organization. A must buy for mma fans. Collapse

1. Jan 26, 2011
    This is a very well realised first attempt by EA and one that won't require much tweaking should there be any subsequent additions to the series.
  2. games(TM)
    Jan 20, 2011
    A veritable knock-out. [Issue#102, p.100]
  3. Jan 20, 2011
    EA Sports MMA brings a nice package to the ring.