7.9

1. Feb 18, 2014
    EDF 2025 is everything you could want from a sequel. I, being a veteran of EDF 2017, see all the improvements and new features since EDF 2017. They are as follows:

- Better Graphics: If you compare the graphics of EDF 2017 to 2025, you will see that everything is more detailed by a huge leap. Yet it still retains the cheesy style that EDF fans love.

- More Weapons: EDF 2025 features
    more than 700 weapons. That is the most weapons in any EDF game. Approximately 175 weapons per class. Each weapon is vastly different from the other. And all the weapons can level up, to level 75. Making them useful on any difficulty.

- More Missions: More than 80 missions. Each with five difficulty levels. Easy, Normal, Hard, Hardest and Inferno. You unlock better weapons on the harder difficulty's. Making multiple playthroughs necessary to acquire good enough weapons and enough armor points to beat Inferno.

- 4 Soldier Classes: In EDF 2025 there are 4 classes: Ranger, Wing Diver, Air Raider and Fencer. Each have a vastly different play style. Call in vehicles and air strikes as the Air Raider. Wield dual mini guns and artillery as the Fencer. Jet pack around the city firing lasers and plasma everywhere as the Wing Diver. And use a huge variety of weapons as the Ranger.

- More Enemies: EDF 2025 adds brand new versions of he enemies found in EDF 2017, as well as keeping old favorites. While still bringing fresh and new enemies to the game. Such as dragons, shield bearers, retiarius spiders, bees, new versions of hectors and more than 19 enemy types.

- More Vehicles: EDF 2017 had 4 vehicles. A tank, helicopter, bike and mech suit. EDF 2025 has 13 vehicles. Including a Bike, MRL, 2 Apc's, 3 Tanks, 3 mech suits and 3 helicopters. And the Air Raider can call these vehicles in to assist with the mission at anytime.

- More Players: EDF 2025 features 4 player online co-op, as well as keeping 2 player local or online split-screen.

- Longer Game: It took me more than 100 hours to completely beat EDF 2017. Meaning all difficulty's were passed and all weapons were acquired. EDF 2017 had 53 missions, five difficulty's and 171 weapons. EDF 2025 has more than 80 missions (excluding DLC), five difficulty's and more than 700 weapons (excluding DLC), and now the weapons can be leveled up to level 75. Just thought I should put that into perspective.

- More Things: EDF 2025 now has limb dismemberment. Meaning you could blast an ant or hector into a bunch little pieces. Rag-doll physics for both enemies and the player. Enemies can now grab, eat and throw you around. Huge open environment with fully destructible buildings and foliage. Emotes can now be acted out by your soldier. Dynamic radio chatter for NPC soldiers. Color customization for your soldier. The EDF style is ULTRA MAN meets Starship Troopers, if that sounds awesome, its because it is.

- DLC: EDF 2025 is the first Asian developed EDF to feature DLC. There are going to be 45 new missions being released from now, to March 11. Costing $21.00 in total.

This game is a most own for any EDF fan. And a great purchase for any interested in this style of game. A huge amount of content and carnage. 10/10
  2. Feb 18, 2014
    You get to destroy giant insects, giant arachnids, giant robots, and giant buildings! If that is not your cup of tea, then this is not the game for you, and you are also wrong. EDF! EDF! E D F!!!
  3. Feb 19, 2014
    If you're into AAA titles with loads of polish, deep gameplay and cinematic stories... then you probably don't want to play EDF 2025. If you've ever been elitist about games needing to be art or you require cutting edge graphics and professionally acted voices then just don't bother, stay far away from this game.

However...

If you're into arcade action, humongous swarms of enemies
    and just blowing up everything in sight with B-movie charm and without concern for polish or professionalism, just pure, simple and totally ridiculous gameplay, then give it a go.

It improves upon EDF 2017 in every way imaginable, even taking the good ideas from the western developed Insect Armageddon such as character classes.

If you're already a fan of this series, you know exactly what to expect. Everything you love about it is here in larger quantities than before. All of the cheese and unapologetic lack of polish is back and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I'm glad developers like Sandlot are still out there to make games that focus on arcade style fun as their primary goal. They're a dying breed. EDF 2025 is a niche gem that will be seen as schlock by many but greatly appreciated by the people it clicks with.
  4. Feb 21, 2014
    Really great fun! It is an arcade game, so don't expect much depth or amazingly modern graphics, but if you sit down and play this with a couple friends, oh my goodness the fun to be had!
  5. Mar 5, 2014
    The negative "professional" reviews just demonstrate how completely out of touch and damaging to the industry these graphic whores are. I guess if you are completely devoid of joy this game isn't very good, what with the endless hours of fun and all.
  6. Feb 19, 2014
    If you are a fan of prior EDF 2017, or even Insect Armageddon, you will be more than excited and pleased with this title!
    Right off the bat EDF 2025 remains true as a sequal to 2017, with a familiar feel, sound, and look (other than way better graphics and smoothness). Classic fans will appreciate the Ranger class as being "the original" character, but the new classes have some really
    cool perks and completely different play styles also. With 25+ levels (not including constant DLC) 5x as many weapons, individual class leveling, weapon leveling, and 5 difficulty settings, there is near endless replayability! New 4 player co-op lets you play with your friends, and set weapon/armor limitations so you aren't getting blown out of the water if your friends are 20+levels higher than you. Everything you would expect and want in an EDF title is here. The only minor issue I can tell at this time is the occasional frame rate slowing from howitzer strikes and huge explosions, but its completely acceptable since those are not all the time, and EDF is supposed to be like that "cheezy B-rated action movie" kinda game.
    So it all boils down to this, if you're and EDF fan and know what to expect, or want a ridiculous fun co-op game for you and your crew, buy this game. If you are looking for the next genre-defying game, stick with something familiar.
  7. Feb 28, 2014
    Perfect. This is exactly what I wanted. More of the chaos and mayhem of the first with extra enemies thrown in for awesome.

The classes are nifty, but you can stick to the Ranger and get the same feel as you did in 2017. Sure, the way things break and die is silly, and the action is over the top, there's no hiding behind ledges and you're not methodically dodging bullets to kill enemies
    with your knife, but that's EXACTLY the reason I like EDF so much more than all of those other shooters. I don't wanna waste my time in some sort of pseudo-reality, I wanna blow giant robots up!

If you liked EDF 2017, which I obviously did, then this is what we've been waiting for since the last time you played EDF which, if you're like me, was the 20th or so time.
  8. Mar 8, 2014
    EDF is unique.

Its a squad based scifi b movie 3rd person shooter which you'll either love or hate. AI is bizzare. Missions are repetative. Graphics are OKish, but collision detection is poor, Sound is poor. Voice acting/script is ;so bad its good' - hearing the EDF squads sing their mad songs is surreal.

But the action is non stop and, somehow, EDF is fun, lovable and brilliant -
    at least in multiplayer mode with friends which is how I always play it Expand
  9. Mar 4, 2014
    Lots of guns (lots), lots of explosions (like lots), no story (a little bit) and terrible voice acting like a Godzilla movie. F*CKING AWESOME.

You don't play this game for the story, if you want a good story read a book.
  10. Feb 26, 2014
    It's so refreshing to play a game that doesn't want more than to entertain you. Mindless fun, blowing up stuff and simply great with a friend on the couch. Yes, it would be nice if the framerate didn't suck but I won't give up levelling whole cities for that and fighting against huge masses of giant insects.

It's the perfect game for relief after a stressful day!
  11. Feb 19, 2014
    Yet again a mostly poor set of critical reviews the people supposedly in the know. This game is a Japanese budget title and yet I had no problem paying full price for it. Yes the graphics are substandard and the game chugs like a pensioner when the screen gets hectic but most people are not seeing past this. What you are basically getting is 85 bite sized levels of third person shooter chaos with a mild grinding RPG element to theproceedings. Kill hundreds of oversized insects and such, gain armour pickups from said infestation and that armour is added to your health for your next play through. Trust me when I say you will need it for the hardest difficulties, but I digress. This is the only series that my computer game hating girlfriend will play because its FUN. Hundreds of hours of fun, now incorporating four player online co op for more serious gaming sessions with your friends. In a world of generic shooters starring gruff space marines, this is a breath of fresh air, go on give it a go, you may enjoy it and if enough western gamers buy it the inevitable sequel may actually have half decent graphics and bearable frame rate then even the critics may be able to pencil a half decent review.... Expand
  12. Feb 24, 2014
    The more of these things you enjoy the more you will enjoy this game: - EDF 2017 - Intense Arcade action featuring insects - Blowing up the city... to save the city - Hundreds of unlockable weapons with varying and crazy special effects - Awesome Co-Op splitscreen campaign If you were a fan of Earth Defense Force 2017 just go buy this game now. It's not like Insect Armageddon, it's so much better. This is the real deal, this is what you've been waiting for and didn't even know it.

It's not a super polished game, you're gonna run into weird and hilarious bugs. The dialog is also hilariously awful, I mean this in the best way.

In the end though if you're looking for a game to just sit down with a friend and destroy giant bugs and a variety of other crazy stuff this is the game for you. Would vote 11/10 if possible.
  13. Mar 13, 2014
    Get ready to dispense with all your other games (except maybe EDF 2017) -- seriously, this game is that much fun, and most other shooters pale in comparison. Huge, spacious levels, waves of interesting enemies and a satirical G-rated atmosphere combine to make EDF 2025 the best way to kill some time (and a few giant insects).

Alien brutes meet military brawn in an amusing series of bug
    splats and explosions that rock the destructible EDF world and decimate Tokyo. You'll either love or hate the inane intercom chatter but there's no denying the other sound effects are perfectly suited to the game and the delayed secondary explosion from a defeated Hector robot has always been a stroke of genius.

The game also contains a surprising amount of strategy and tactics as there are numerous ways to approach every situation. Add to this the variety of classes, weapons and difficulties, for virtually endless replay value. For me, blowing up giant bugs and robots with high-powered weaponry never gets old.

I'm taking a couple of points off for the relatively boring Fencer and Air Raider classes and the outdated graphics. On that last point, I think that apart from the 2D item drops, EDF 2017 actually looked better with its smoother, sharper, and more colourful textures. I suspect that the hallmark epic destruction of the series would not be technically possible with significantly better graphics -- at least not on the 360. It's a small price to pay for such unmitigated gaming pleasure.
  14. Apr 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed Version]

If you want a truly impressive science fiction shooter, go play something ambitious like Mass Effect. Otherwise, if you're looking for a relatively large time-sink and something that is purely thrills that should pass an otherwise boring time, play this game.

Concept: Bugs, robots, and your gun or teammates' gun(s). Prepare for battle, and a hilariously botched attempt at a story, coupled with some great campy moments. This is basically the Starship Troopers of gaming, with a lot more B-movie to it.

Graphics: They work, barely, but that's fine. You won't really focus too much on them anyway when the giant horde of bugs descends upon your position from all sides. It's the little things in life- or in this case, the big things from space.

Sound: You'll never know what exactly you should be expecting from the audio, as at any given time you could hear strange noises and words spewing from your cohorts. Also, the soundtrack is pretty minimal, as you wouldn't want to pay too much attention to it and not the game...yeah, sure- that's the reason...

Playability: EDF 2025 is a pretty open game as far as controls and overall experience go, and although it does have several separate classes, each of their main functions work the same so there isn't much of a learning curve to be worried about. You'll do just fine rookie.

Entertainment: Who could've thought taking on nearly infinite hordes of giant bugs and robots could be so fun? It certainly seemed a lot more grim in Crysis.... Hmm... Be sure to collect as many supplies as you can, from weapons to other content upgrades- you'll need them almost positively later on...

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 7.0
  15. Mar 9, 2014
    How is this game good? All it concludes is a couple of dancing robots who sings. If I were you I would not purchase something this dreadful. It also has the graphics of a gameboy. The only good thing about this game is when you laugh at the price you spent on it. That's the truth and the truth hurts!
  16. Mar 26, 2014
    It's awesome. I'm on mission 75 and still am having fun with it. The game introduces new enemy types and weapons at a rate that keeps the game fresh and interesting. It takes a lot of the feel from old monster movies with the hilariously bad dialogue and story which gives it a certain charm. All the weapons are satisfying in their own way the the 4 classes all play differently and have certain roles. My biggest gripe with this game is that it has HORRIBLE framerate issues, sometimes dropping to single digits when the action gets heavy and a bit of ridiculously difficult missions. If you can get past that though, expect loads of fun. It's the first game I've caught myself smiling while playing in a long time. Expand

1. Mar 21, 2014
    Even though it tries so very hard to jam-pack a pick-up-and-play shooter with missions, weapons, and multiplayer options aplenty, it's a game that has limits to its staying power, leaving the player hungry for something more substantial.
  2. Mar 18, 2014
    Earth Defense Force 2025 is a perfect game to just relax with and let your brain take a break. But if you want something that provides an old-school arcade styled challenge, this is also a great game to check out.
  3. Mar 18, 2014
    It's far from awesome, but it sure is fun.