Fable II Xbox 360

6.5

1. Nov 12, 2014
    This game is way too short. Several great ideas, like the ability to purchase properties to bring in a constant income, are negated because (a) the games too short for that to have a positive impact, and (b) at some point you won't know what to do with that excess money anyway!

People talk about Fable's charm, and while I somewhat see that, sometimes it just boils down to fart jokes and constant flipping the bird. That's not charm folks; that's child's play.

Combat is somewhat more enjoyable than the original, but that's not saying much. For a game that prides itself on choice, you really only have two impacting choices in the game: be good or be evil.

The story if lackluster, which is typical of all Fable games. The characters are a little more interesting. It's just not enough to keep you hooked. I struggled to finish the game, which is terrible considering how short it is! Some of the mini-games are fun though.

I'm not sure I'd recommend any Fable game, and after this one I didn't even try the third (although I hear it's more of the same). Look elsewhere for fun RPGs.
  2. Jun 27, 2011
    Fable has yet to make good on its promise of revolutionizing the RPG. Combat has been simplified, meaning that swords, bows and magic each have their own buttons. There is a significant imbalance between these powers, with magic becoming so strong that you would be stupid to use anything else. The story is one-dimensional and the characters are never developed. The side aspects of the gameFable has yet to make good on its promise of revolutionizing the RPG. Combat has been simplified, meaning that swords, bows and magic each have their own buttons. There is a significant imbalance between these powers, with magic becoming so strong that you would be stupid to use anything else. The story is one-dimensional and the characters are never developed. The side aspects of the game (a variety of jobs, marrying, having a family) are shallow and there is not much point (other than money) to spend any time at them. Getting married is the most uninteresting as every man and woman are pretty much the same. The only information given are their names and moderately useful facts about them. The game is too short and the final boss is underwhelming. Still, I would be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy playing it. There are lots of secrets and plenty of loot to keep players interested. The combat is fast and satisfying. The world is wider and more accessible although Albion never feels as alive or as vibrant as Cyrodil from Oblivion or Hyrule from Legend of Zelda. The Fable series, though entertaining, has many problems at its core and has yet to reach the upper echelons of western RPG's. Expand
  3. JozefK
    Oct 10, 2009
    I really wanted to like it, but it was frankly a waste of time. The story was shallow, and with the ability to complete pretty much every aspect of the game with little to no-effort... there was little incentive to play. In the original I enjoyed going through the demon doors getting the legendary items, but what's the point when many of the weapons I can get from the stores are I really wanted to like it, but it was frankly a waste of time. The story was shallow, and with the ability to complete pretty much every aspect of the game with little to no-effort... there was little incentive to play. In the original I enjoyed going through the demon doors getting the legendary items, but what's the point when many of the weapons I can get from the stores are better. The main story was completed within some 8 hours with little incentive to play further aside for some slightly 'alternative' endings. Which make no real impact aside from unless you choose to have your dog resurrected (one of the endings) you won't be able to do many of the side quests. It just all feels redundant, especially for those who've played the original fable (which I have to say had significantly more depth). In the original fable it was genuinly fun upgrading my character, and progressing each abilities skill tree. But when you have a definitive 'best' ability, and no challenge within the gameplay itself it has a very 'what's the point in all this' feel, to everything. 800 gamerscore within 1 day of play, at which point it was returned to store. Very disappointing. Expand
  4. Oct 29, 2010
    As much as I enjoyed Fable I it hurts for me to say that Fable II felt like a step back. The game barely even felt like an RPG. I enjoyed romping through Albion, but in the end I play RPGs for stories in which I feel I had a great impact. I just did not come close to that with Fable II. It is it's over-simplified combat and black and white morality choices that break the experience forAs much as I enjoyed Fable I it hurts for me to say that Fable II felt like a step back. The game barely even felt like an RPG. I enjoyed romping through Albion, but in the end I play RPGs for stories in which I feel I had a great impact. I just did not come close to that with Fable II. It is it's over-simplified combat and black and white morality choices that break the experience for me. Not to mention that there are less weapons, clothes, and absolutely no armor in the game. Customizing my character's appearance was fun to me. Now it is reduced to a handful of outfits. Being able to change the clothing's color is nice, but its not a saving grace. The addition of a pet is a good idea, as are the job mini-games (but jobs get dull far too fast). In the end this game is just too shallow for me to find playing it to be worth the price of admission. Expand
  5. MattP
    Oct 30, 2008
    In a word, meh. Fable was a really interesting game when it came out for the Xbox, and followed in the same vein as Jade Empire in the action-RPG realm, but Fable 2 doesn't really build on that idea any more, rather it expands on the general idea of Fable and just makes it MORE. There aren't enough items to keep me really interested (it reminded me of the the item recycling in In a word, meh. Fable was a really interesting game when it came out for the Xbox, and followed in the same vein as Jade Empire in the action-RPG realm, but Fable 2 doesn't really build on that idea any more, rather it expands on the general idea of Fable and just makes it MORE. There aren't enough items to keep me really interested (it reminded me of the the item recycling in WoW) and there is not immediacy to the game: nothing seems like it HAS to be done, which, in an RPG where you really don't have to do anything besides the main story, isn't good. In KotOR, you were really interested to see was happened when you solved the murder on Maanan, or in Oblivion you wanted to see the new and inventive way you could murder people in the Dark Brotherhood. But in Fable, meh. Expand
  6. MatthewM
    Mar 30, 2009
    While not terrible, there simply isn't enough to do, most the side quests are completed as the main story progresses and if you miss any early ones out, it appears to become irreversible. While the bugs are less noticable than other titles, there are still several parts of this game that ruin its "open world" feel. As much as you can go back to places you've visited the roads While not terrible, there simply isn't enough to do, most the side quests are completed as the main story progresses and if you miss any early ones out, it appears to become irreversible. While the bugs are less noticable than other titles, there are still several parts of this game that ruin its "open world" feel. As much as you can go back to places you've visited the roads there are all too linear. As much as decision making was hyped up there can be parts of Fable 2 where players aiming for pure good/evil characters are forced to go down an unfavourable route to keep thier traits. i shall admit that the graphics work well with the setting.not really worth playing for those new to the series or genre. fable fans can expect some fun from it but dont get your hopes up on it besting the first game. Fable 2, an average game more light on content than light hearted. 63/100. Expand
  7. Mar 9, 2011
    Fable II is entertaining and, at least for a time, fun. The main quest line is very short, though, and the myriad side quests and "life" elements that supposedly provide "hours and hours" of gameplay really aren't very much fun. Combat is really easy, and the proliferation of life phials means that even in the off chance that you do fall in battle, you're revived without consequence.Fable II is entertaining and, at least for a time, fun. The main quest line is very short, though, and the myriad side quests and "life" elements that supposedly provide "hours and hours" of gameplay really aren't very much fun. Combat is really easy, and the proliferation of life phials means that even in the off chance that you do fall in battle, you're revived without consequence. Even if you DON'T have said life phial., you're resurrected with a negligible loss of experience and a scar somewhere on your body. Oh no, my video game character is scarred! Now I have to restart the whole game! The interface to switch between spells is also poorly constructed, making it nearly impossible to create a true mage. Ranged weapons are handy here and there, but the game is really geared toward the swordsman build. Overall, the RPG elements are lacking.

But then, you're supposed to be able to spend hours "living the life" of the hero. Sure, you can get married. Multiple times, even. To a man and a woman, if you want. But who cares? You can get a job doing the same thing - chopping wood, pouring beer, banging a hammer on an anvil - over and over and over and over again. Woo-hoo. You can buy every single piece of property in the entire game world, if you have to patience to save up the money. You can watch your weight or get fat. You can get tattoos and haircuts, as well as change your clothes. But these are things I have to do in real life! I don't want to have to do them in a video game, too! Fable II is a mildly entertaining, quaint game that gets old after about 10 hours. Even for the obsessive compulsive completionist, this game will disappoint.
  8. SarahS
    Oct 27, 2008
    Like the first Fable, this is a decent title. It has a few bugs, it suffers from long load times, and you can't really enjoy exploring because of the poor graphics on a standard television... the menu is a bit clunky and slow, and that makes eating multiple items a chore. Combat is somewhat entertaining later on (it gets better as you 'level') but it's never Like the first Fable, this is a decent title. It has a few bugs, it suffers from long load times, and you can't really enjoy exploring because of the poor graphics on a standard television... the menu is a bit clunky and slow, and that makes eating multiple items a chore. Combat is somewhat entertaining later on (it gets better as you 'level') but it's never challenging. It has some cute features, such as marriage and getting your wife pregnant, and buying and selling property, but they aren't enough to sustain it. Also, the game is really rather short... I feel those features would be better utilized in a longer game. Also, the load times are annoying when you're traveling back and forth via fast travel to make a buck. Would be better on a PC (or if you could install.) Expand
  9. JayC
    Nov 13, 2009
    For all the expansiveness of the world, it felt like an uninspired sequel. You couldn't retain as ridiculous levels of power, making it less fun, and the only hard fights are the spires. There wasn't a feeling of a boss fight, especially at the end of the game, which robbed me of most of the joy I'd had up to that point. Nonetheless, I was entertained, but not impressed.
  10. Jul 3, 2011
    That was it? Throughout playing the game, I kept going back and forth from giving this game an eight or a seven. With the defeat of the main threat over (and still having over half of the side quests to do) I easily settled on a seven. It's not so much that this game has potential, it reached extremely well everything that they wanted to do to make it a unique and entertaining, it's justThat was it? Throughout playing the game, I kept going back and forth from giving this game an eight or a seven. With the defeat of the main threat over (and still having over half of the side quests to do) I easily settled on a seven. It's not so much that this game has potential, it reached extremely well everything that they wanted to do to make it a unique and entertaining, it's just that they forgot to flesh out a story for your hero. A big plus was the "Sims interaction" approach with all the npcs. It certainly doesn't feel like your hero is the loneliest person on the planet any more. The combat starts off annoying due to the button mashing, but after leveling up your not having to hit the same ol' button (too much anyway). The use of a gun and the ability granted to shoot the body, head (always go for the head) or the weapon was a nice unique feature that you can't even find in today's shooters. And even though they went with caricatures of a 2-D style, the game's artwork and graphics were stunning. Probably one of the best looking RPG's I've played to date (and this game is three years old at this point) because of the artists strong attention to detail they give this game. After reading other reviews, I keep seeing the words "for the experience", and, yes, I agree. I recommend this above else for the experience of what Lionhead has created. But the sad parts are, for one, you are stuck on paths and have very little room to explore the world that was created. And the mapping system left me seriously disorientated to where I was at in the relationship to the continent? country? world? of Albion. Which is how I think this game comes off; disorientating yet worth getting lost into. Even if it's for the short duration of its plot line. Expand
  11. Apr 19, 2011
    There were a lot of cool things in the game, but the game was just not well balanced and integrated. First, it is extremely easy. I kept thinking that this was a kid's game and then realized that it had adult content. The interface is horrible. Inventory use and management is prohibitively slow and awkward. The economy is completely out of scale- I had millions of gold with very littleThere were a lot of cool things in the game, but the game was just not well balanced and integrated. First, it is extremely easy. I kept thinking that this was a kid's game and then realized that it had adult content. The interface is horrible. Inventory use and management is prohibitively slow and awkward. The economy is completely out of scale- I had millions of gold with very little to spend it on. On a related issue, re: treasures you have to patiently wait for the dog to find the 'dig spot', and then patiently wait until the digging animation was done. And then.. boom.. the treasures were almost always useless. When I have over 2 million gold, a sack of 5,000 gold is unrewarding. To me, it is as though they made the game, but never bothered playing it. Because anyone who played the game would notice these issues. It is unfortunate, because there were some very cool features in the game, and the potential was there for a great game but the lack of *balance* and *integration* really made the game hard to be fun. I'm not sure how some critics (or users) felt justified giving this game a 10. It's definitely not a 10. Some of the features of the game may have deserved a 10, but, as a whole, I think the User Score average captured it with a 6.2. Expand
  12. Apr 21, 2011
    Fable 2 is the second in Lionhead Studio's series of games that over reach and promise to be a complete and immersive game experience but just sort of end up being mediocre action/adventure titles, Though nice to look at and filled with some great comedic dialougue and some good SIM-life options Fable 2 falls short of the hype. Should it be judged so harshly on hype? Normally I would sayFable 2 is the second in Lionhead Studio's series of games that over reach and promise to be a complete and immersive game experience but just sort of end up being mediocre action/adventure titles, Though nice to look at and filled with some great comedic dialougue and some good SIM-life options Fable 2 falls short of the hype. Should it be judged so harshly on hype? Normally I would say 'No." but the developers here have used their 'innovation" and "unique and creative game design" buzzwords to create a frothing pulsing hype around what they claim to be a game changer but just ends up being "pretty entertaining".

Fable 2 is kind of short. From the standpoint of any RPG fan. The main story missions will take you well under 15 hours to complete. There are side quests and jobs to perform and houses to buy so that you could just try and inhabit the world for hours after you've completed the game but since none of this seems necessary to the overall plot I found myself not giving a hoot. The story attempts greatness and I must say, since I was reading the Dark Tower series while playing this, there were certain elements that thoroughly intrigued me, but it does fall apart almost comically in the third act. To the point where you're left wonder what the hell just happened.

It isn't all bad. The combat system is top notch allowing action gamers like me to take control of of 3 different play styles all at once and giving you a great sense of power and finesse throughout. Even in the most mundane of battles I found myself enjoying it to the last swing, shot or fireball. It's a great looking game as well. None of that photo-realistic mumbo jumbo, this thing is completely stylish (like a Fable) and it all looks great. The arcetechture and clothes all contribute to a great setting.

All in all I did want to enjoy this more than I did. But with customization options just laying there like a limp noodle as well as the story. The short list of good points don't add up to a "game changer".
  13. CarloF
    Nov 7, 2008
    A big disappointment.... Not a gg at all. Very short and i can't immagine how to excuse the lack of deph that a RPG that has this metacritic score should have.
  14. ErikP.
    Oct 21, 2008
    I have only played a little bit of the game, but I can already tell it's only going to be a marginal release. The graphics are beautiful on an HD quite stunning. That's the only good thing I can say at the moment. The controls are sluggish, the weapon design is weak, talking to people could be better. I mean if you're going to make a live action rpg take a note from I have only played a little bit of the game, but I can already tell it's only going to be a marginal release. The graphics are beautiful on an HD quite stunning. That's the only good thing I can say at the moment. The controls are sluggish, the weapon design is weak, talking to people could be better. I mean if you're going to make a live action rpg take a note from Bethesda with Oblivion. Make something dope and interesting that continues to have a lasting affect for days to come. There will be kids that like Fable and some that will not enjoy it. Those who don't enjoy it know what a real RPG is and can be. I would say look out for Fallout 3. That game is going to be crazy good. Expand
  15. ShawnK
    Dec 23, 2008
    The first fable was way better but I think it still should be a must have for all xbox 360 owners. The graphics are awesome it is fun to play and I like how the people in the game react to your character. It could have had more regions like fable 1 and the map system could have been a lot better. They also should have never released it with all the glitches but it still is a great game The first fable was way better but I think it still should be a must have for all xbox 360 owners. The graphics are awesome it is fun to play and I like how the people in the game react to your character. It could have had more regions like fable 1 and the map system could have been a lot better. They also should have never released it with all the glitches but it still is a great game anyway. I really hope that lionhead makes a fable 3 but if they in fact do they should really concentrate on it a lot more and go back to more of the concepts from fable 1. Expand
  16. MikeR.
    Oct 27, 2008
    Filled with glitches and the online Co-op is a waste of time. A few more months of development and polish could have made this game live up to its hype.
  17. StevenH
    Oct 31, 2008
    This is a very enjoyable game but very familiar to the original Fable game. Not necessarily a bad thing to be honest but they could have at least made an effort to make the way the events came in different. for example...you're young, grow up, quest for a bit (this isn't what i mean i'm just using it to get to my point) there is a tournament with a different name, there is This is a very enjoyable game but very familiar to the original Fable game. Not necessarily a bad thing to be honest but they could have at least made an effort to make the way the events came in different. for example...you're young, grow up, quest for a bit (this isn't what i mean i'm just using it to get to my point) there is a tournament with a different name, there is a prison-esque place where you spend many years staying in without your equipment...it goes on. I enjoyed the first Fable but was a little annoyed at playing it over again with next gen gloss and a different name for things (the crucible instead of the arena). Apart from this there is an awesome game inside. There is the odd glitch and load times are a bit long sometimes and costumes do no difference defence wise which is a shame because it was an integral part of the original. Nice things this time round include property development, jobs, your dog and the combat system is easy to get into but complex enough to master. All in all a good game if not really being Fable 1.5 Expand
  18. JohnS.
    Oct 30, 2008
    I enjoyed this game very much, despite all the bugs, shallow gameplay and lack of content. The gameplay feels just right, but there is very little depth in it and most of the time its just button mashing. The spell system is alright, however it's overshadowed by you melee weapon. Once your spells reach its maximum level of potency, they become VERY powerful, however, it takes to long I enjoyed this game very much, despite all the bugs, shallow gameplay and lack of content. The gameplay feels just right, but there is very little depth in it and most of the time its just button mashing. The spell system is alright, however it's overshadowed by you melee weapon. Once your spells reach its maximum level of potency, they become VERY powerful, however, it takes to long to charge, therefore you are better of using your melee weapon. Another problem with spells is that there are no supportive spells (like Heal, Protective shield thing, ect.) like there were in Fable 1, therefore, investing all your points in just Will Power is just a waste of time unless you plan on getting swords stuck up your ass while you're waiting for your spells to charge. Guns are also nice, but again they are overshadowed by your melee weapon once enemies get in close range. Another problem with guns is that most of the time you don't know where enemies are, thus making sniping via the zoom function useless. I find the lack of minimap very frustrating. I truly hate the little glowing thing which you follow, It shouldn't of replace the minimap. Let me explain why: when your following the glowing trail, you follow the glowing trail, and most of the time you don't pay attention to anything else but the glowing trail because you generally don't have an idea of where you are going due to the fact that unfamiliar with the surrounding area. With the minimap, it tells you in the "general" direction where to go, so you can start going in that direction and not stare at the ground constantly. There are very few things to buy, and there are few armor sets which are all very poor looking. The UI is atrocious; slow, unresponsive and glitchy. I haven't try the coop yet TBH so I won't talk about it. The storyline is WEAK. Particularly the ending; probably the must disappointing ending in any game i've ever play. I expect an EPIC boss fight, but NO, it just had to END. I pretty much agree with everything that Danny H said, so I won't say anymore. This game feels unpolished, shallow and its very buggy. Expand
  19. CeeJ
    Jan 17, 2009
    This game is really not all it is cracked up to be. Don't get me wrong, its a pretty good game. Its just not great. The game is short, the controls are at times awkward, the menu and map system also very clumsy and awkward. It is ridiculously easy and unsatisfying. This game does not contain the "open world" that it claims. For a very good RPG see Oblivion or Fallout 3.
  20. StevenH
    Jan 2, 2009
    Well, first of all.... The game started off pretty welcoming, I was expecting alot more from Fable 1, but... I kinda expected the short story line, so that did not bother me. What did dissapoint me, was lack in armor, and the 1 second lag whenever you try to perform an action. Also the D-pad menu bar doesn't stay up, like in Fable 1. The dog is pretty cool, but makes findingWell, first of all.... The game started off pretty welcoming, I was expecting alot more from Fable 1, but... I kinda expected the short story line, so that did not bother me. What did dissapoint me, was lack in armor, and the 1 second lag whenever you try to perform an action. Also the D-pad menu bar doesn't stay up, like in Fable 1. The dog is pretty cool, but makes finding treasures very very easy. The impossibility to truly die on the game makes it tooo easy of a game. Plus, you can kill like 209742974 enemies easy. I like how you can turn safe mode on and off, that keeps you from messing up too much in town. There isn't a very big spell list on the game, and You can only use 1 spell at a time, because it takes too long to switch spells. Easy to fall in love/marry. Too easy, I thought the adult content to it was kinda funny, condoms? lol... but there could of been alot of work added to it. Found some glitches, like little kids talking, about the same thing... over, and over, and over.... Not very new monsters... I do like how your decisions change everything in the future for you. It isn't fun going to the menu every second for something, (the hotkey function in Fable1 isn't on this one for the D-pad use) kinda a pain in the .... I wish the dog would like, attack things, instead of bark. The co-op should of let the other player play as a real character rather then a henchman. There were less melee weapons this time, and no great sword either. Money is too easy to get. The leveling in abilities was kinda rediculous tho, first you get 1 level of a spell for 600, then later 2300, then later 12000? kinda a big jump eh? You will beat the game before your max in power, but you don't really need all that power to beat the game tho. (cuse you never really die) I was expecting a 9/10 with this game, but was dissapointed in a way. People rating this 10/10 must be crazy, and these people rating under 4 must be children with no sense. As much as I want to give this game a 10, it just isn't a 10 rating game. Hoping for a Fable 3 though, with... improvements due to everyone's responses... Also one more thing, the territory isn't very vast, and you really can't travel everywhere too much. I love the ability to jump off some ledges, but can't we get the ability to jump when we want? lol... hard to find RPGs where you can simply... jump... even kids jump. More monsters, less lagg, more armor, more weapons, more spells, more landscape to travel, more difficulty, more story, better co-op. Thanks! Expand
  21. NicholasA
    Jan 15, 2010
    This turn out the be a cool game at first but the only down thing about it is that once you are finished, there not much else to do. but this is a really good RPG
  22. ChrissyT
    Nov 12, 2008
    Having enjoyed Fable1 on my 360 a year ago (bargain bin) I immediately picked up this sequel at launch. But so far I didn't get very far into the game. The game just doesn't manage to get me hooked, and that's probably due to some small annoyances and too much hype. First of all the whole thing with the real estate and family planning is just a gimmick like in the first Having enjoyed Fable1 on my 360 a year ago (bargain bin) I immediately picked up this sequel at launch. But so far I didn't get very far into the game. The game just doesn't manage to get me hooked, and that's probably due to some small annoyances and too much hype. First of all the whole thing with the real estate and family planning is just a gimmick like in the first game, but more elaborate. It doesn't really feel like you're doing anything usefull or fun, trying to get one o the onlookers to accept your engagement ring. It's just not rewarding. Neither are the minigames that make you money. Yes you'll get cash, but do I really want to sit through endless button mashing for that? I found a lack of a decent mapping system very annoying. You can only see a small area map in the menu, only shows your current 'zone'. There is no accessable world map. This means that it all depends on either trial and error OR flipping on the stupid light-up-trail OR the instant travel.Neither of these options are particulary fun. Maybe I just need to give the game a rest and try again in a month or so. Or maybe I'm just getting tired of RPGs. Expand
  23. emileb
    Nov 14, 2008
    I wouldn
  24. ChristianC
    Nov 18, 2008
    I never had the chance to play the first Fable, so instead of buying that game, I decided to wait and spend my money on the sequel. Now that a have it, I can say that I feel very disappointed. This game has very nice visual effects and music score, sometimes is fun and... well, that's were ends the goods. After a while the game becomes very tedious, the controls are slow and I never had the chance to play the first Fable, so instead of buying that game, I decided to wait and spend my money on the sequel. Now that a have it, I can say that I feel very disappointed. This game has very nice visual effects and music score, sometimes is fun and... well, that's were ends the goods. After a while the game becomes very tedious, the controls are slow and sometimes don't respond, menus are very slow also, you can't sort items and only one item can be use at a time, then you need to navigate through the slow menus again just to use another item... And the game is so easy... you name it: battles, money, experience, even sex and getting married!, everything in this game is so easy to do that it feels like "Action RPG for Dummies". Money is so easy to gain, just bought properties and rent them, and you forget about worrying for money. Battles are not deep, just [X] for melee attacks (repeat for extra moves), [Y] to shoot your weapons (keep pressed for manual aim) and [B] to use your magic (keep pressed for stronger magic, while the enemies are hitting you). Characters and general designs are just ugly... yes, that's the word, ugly. People are deformed, house and buildings are simple... it feels like a PS2 game with nice visuals running emulated in the XBOX 360. The only nice things in the game are the dawns & dusks over the water, and the lights through the forrest. And the worst thing in this game is the A.I., is so dumb... oh well, you've got the idea... The comments I read about the first Fable and the ADs and videos I watched showing how the sequel would be, I just got "hypnotized" expecting a fabulous game, instead, I have this over-hyped buggy-short-game that only deserves no more than a 7 of 10. Expand
  25. MB
    Nov 1, 2008
    Flawed but overall a decent effort. Feels more like a Fable reimagined, with the hints to the previous game highlighting the lack of substantial changes. Note this is not an RPG. True depth isn't present with regards to customization but it is more of an Adventure game with RPG elements. Lionhead designed the game to be accessible to all, not just gamers. Hence the difficulty not Flawed but overall a decent effort. Feels more like a Fable reimagined, with the hints to the previous game highlighting the lack of substantial changes. Note this is not an RPG. True depth isn't present with regards to customization but it is more of an Adventure game with RPG elements. Lionhead designed the game to be accessible to all, not just gamers. Hence the difficulty not matching similar titles. Overall a decent addition to any gamers collection. Expand
  26. BennyH.
    Nov 30, 2008
    Amazing graphics, awesome dog but not enough side quests, and not enough towns. Combat looks great and is pretty fun (lots of cool moves to learn) but is often very easy, especially considering you can't die. Storyline sucks balls, not enough clothing variety (though dyes are awesome) or kick ass legendary weapons, your kids don't grow up, there is no dynamic environmental Amazing graphics, awesome dog but not enough side quests, and not enough towns. Combat looks great and is pretty fun (lots of cool moves to learn) but is often very easy, especially considering you can't die. Storyline sucks balls, not enough clothing variety (though dyes are awesome) or kick ass legendary weapons, your kids don't grow up, there is no dynamic environmental morphing, instead environments only change as a result of conscious choices, as opposed to sub-conscious actions. Lack of cutscenes means the game has a different atmosphere to Fable 1, which is sad because the atmosphere in Fable 1 was one of the main things that made it stand out from other RPGs. The jobs are pretty cool, havent tried co-op yet but that looks good. The new spell system sucks. The guns rock. No fist fighting? WTF??? Where are the pub brawls and the utilisation of the environment during combat that i was expecting? Being a woman looks cool and there is a good replayability factor. Where is the fucking minimap? The breadcrumb trail is more constricting than the minimap because i always follow it sub-consciously! What a fucking frustrating game, moments of brilliance and moments of mediocrity vie for superiority. Ho hum. Expand
  27. EricB
    Nov 5, 2008
    At most i'd say that this was a solid game; not incredibly good but at the same time not terrible. The main story line was a definite disappointment, took maybe 12 to 14 hours to beat and the ending was a total bummer. Gameplay was fun if your a straight up warrior type, just hack n' slash melee (which is fine with me cuase i'm not much of the caster type). Guns were a fun At most i'd say that this was a solid game; not incredibly good but at the same time not terrible. The main story line was a definite disappointment, took maybe 12 to 14 hours to beat and the ending was a total bummer. Gameplay was fun if your a straight up warrior type, just hack n' slash melee (which is fine with me cuase i'm not much of the caster type). Guns were a fun addition but not really a huge part of the experience because mobs run right up to u as soon as thier hit, and i never did manage to get a decapitation. After the main storyline theres a couple more quests to do and a lot of buying houses which, im not really sure how that is a quest but whatever. All in All, I think the first one was definitely better and I wouldn't really reccommend buying this game if you know someone who already has it. Just barrow it and play it for 2 days and you'll be done Expand
  28. JonO
    Nov 8, 2008
    I had been waiting ages to play this game and in the end it was just a load of hype. The game looks fantastic with brilliant backgrounds and excellent lighting but that is about it. The story line is poor and combat is boring and too easy. I loved the first Fable but this is an abomonation of a follow up.
  29. ChrissyT
    Dec 2, 2008
    About 2 weeks ago I rated the game a 6, having only put a few hours into it and not feeling very compelled to continue playing.
    Yesterday I decided to continue playing. After playing what feels like only 1/3 through the game, I was treated to the end credits. I had heard about the '10 hours main quest' but to me it feels more like 5-7 hours. Seeing how the walkthroughs on gamefaqs cover the main story in only a few pages, I was forced to accept that this indeed was all there is to Fable 2. I think you can count the total number of maps on 2 hands. Yes the location maps are quite big but there ant nearly as much of them as in Fable 1, and they are still mostly good looking but 'empty' environments.
    You can still continue playing the side quests, but there arent'y really a lot of those either, and most of them are rather short.
    So unless you fancy running around and digging for treasure or trying to get a truckload of wives or real estate which is all rather pointless, this game is not worth your money. Rent or buy used.
  30. maxs
    Oct 23, 2008
    after the first one disappointed me so much, and hearing how good this one was, i decided to pick it up. More of the same! I can't believe after how boring the first was, that they continue the same. Such a disappointment, i can't believe how gimmicky this game tries to be.
  31. MikeFromPA
    Dec 30, 2008
    Pros: Beautiful landscapes, co-op play, no level grinding needed, nice story, brilliant interacting abilities with townfolks. Nice combination of several genres of gaming. Gameplay suits folks of many different play levels and styles. I enjoyed a game that is finally catering to the older gamer. Cons: would have like to see more quests instead of jobs for gold. Jobs themselves are silly, Pros: Beautiful landscapes, co-op play, no level grinding needed, nice story, brilliant interacting abilities with townfolks. Nice combination of several genres of gaming. Gameplay suits folks of many different play levels and styles. I enjoyed a game that is finally catering to the older gamer. Cons: would have like to see more quests instead of jobs for gold. Jobs themselves are silly, pushing a button over and over again is mind-numbing. While the golden trail to follow was helpful in the beginning, an option to turn it off would be nice. The areas felt confined, with many limited to a set path--I've been spoiled by more recent RPGs and MMOs. Recommended overall, very good game. Expand
  32. MrG
    Oct 25, 2008
    Quite a dull game, I got bored of it very quickly, and have already traded it in. Suprised to see so many 10's I wonder how many of them work for Microsoft?
  33. DinglerD
    Oct 26, 2008
    The main quest was too short, but luckily there's still alot to do. The combat system is simply brilliant and so is the skill/exp system. Good dialouge, solid story and a nice soundtrack. The social aspect lacks depth and falls to the ground; hard! I experienced quite a few bugs and graphical glithes during my first playthrough reducing this games ability to draw one into its The main quest was too short, but luckily there's still alot to do. The combat system is simply brilliant and so is the skill/exp system. Good dialouge, solid story and a nice soundtrack. The social aspect lacks depth and falls to the ground; hard! I experienced quite a few bugs and graphical glithes during my first playthrough reducing this games ability to draw one into its universe. All in all this game didn't justify the hype, but really no game ever did. If you're a fan of the first Fable it's definitely worth a spin. Or if your just tired of JRPG this game proves that western RPG's can be solid and entertaining, to some extent at least. Expand
  34. DanielG.
    Oct 26, 2008
    Could have been so much more. The world is large, beautifully rendered, and all the mechanics are here for a long and inspired adventure. It's too bad Lionhead squandered all that hard-work on a 6 hour campaign that is padded with marginally interesting side-quests. This could have been a Masterpiece; instead, it's a piece of...Well it's not that bad....But it is Could have been so much more. The world is large, beautifully rendered, and all the mechanics are here for a long and inspired adventure. It's too bad Lionhead squandered all that hard-work on a 6 hour campaign that is padded with marginally interesting side-quests. This could have been a Masterpiece; instead, it's a piece of...Well it's not that bad....But it is disappointing. Save your money; rent it. Expand
  35. marcb.
    Oct 28, 2008
    Overrated. My 6 is primarily out of respect for the production values, and even these are uneven at times. As for the rest, the story is vague and incredibly disjoiinted, there is no sense of cohesion with regards to geography (frequent load times break everything up), and the old school menu-hunt further disturbs cohesion/immersion. The magic system is borderline unusable IMO, and the Overrated. My 6 is primarily out of respect for the production values, and even these are uneven at times. As for the rest, the story is vague and incredibly disjoiinted, there is no sense of cohesion with regards to geography (frequent load times break everything up), and the old school menu-hunt further disturbs cohesion/immersion. The magic system is borderline unusable IMO, and the combat, while visually appealing, is essentially a button mash. And (without going into any specifics) some of the dramatic set-pieces are insanely boring. It's not a bad game, in fact I was "in love" for a couple of hours, but the more I play it the less I like it. Expand
  36. DannyH
    Oct 29, 2008
    I really wanted to like this game, but there are a few elements that really work against it: *Glitchy.* I've encountered a LOT of bug, for example: - the "zombie child" where your kid gets stuck and won't respond or move. -jobs that you can't finish but also can't drop (e.g., bounty hunter where there aren't enough monsters to satisfy the quest...). -Shops cease I really wanted to like this game, but there are a few elements that really work against it: *Glitchy.* I've encountered a LOT of bug, for example: - the "zombie child" where your kid gets stuck and won't respond or move. -jobs that you can't finish but also can't drop (e.g., bounty hunter where there aren't enough monsters to satisfy the quest...). -Shops cease to have anything for sale (e.g., no more furniture in the store) Read the official forums and you'll see a plethora of glitches, some of which are game breaking. One of the fundamental game design issues is that you have ONE save - if you encountered a glitch and the game autosaves (which it does frequently), there's no way to go back to a time before the glitch and avoid it. *UI is very poor.* Melee and ranged is very simple and you can completely button mash through the game. The spellcasting UI is poorly conceived - the inability to really map spells means you'll probably use 1 or 2 spells for the entire game. The inventory management is very poor - reminiscent of Mass Effect's cluttered menu system. Have fun scrolling through a long list to get to a potion - then, once you drink it, you have to scroll back down again to get another potion (eating food, drinking a potion, reading a book, etc. all have this effect). *Awful multiplayer.* One of the main reasons I bought this on release was that my brother and I could play together over Live. The multiplayer is so poor that there's no point - this is really unacceptable when so many games have great multiplayer. *Lack of items.* The game has no "armor" - you can select from a handful of outfits (e.g., highwayman, bandit, nobleman) and that's it for clothing. Other than affecting your "attractiveness" there's no benefit to any clothing. The weapons are also lacking in variety. The game repeatedly tells me that I should upgrade my equipment, but I've already got the best sword that's purchasable and have 2 augments equipped.... The game has an unpolished, unfinished quality and in many respects reminds me of Hellgate: London in terms of being released before it was ready. Expand
  37. RO
    Jan 2, 2009
    Unfortunately the game was _way_ to easy and the I found all these gestures pretty boring, useless, and off-topic. I regret the fact that i spent money on it. The gaming industry reached the point where they focus too much on the millions of casual gamers with attention span of half an hour before they get attracted to something else.
  38. ChrisW
    Jan 5, 2009
    Gorgeous looking game with great soundtrack, but it quickly grows tedious. It's basically "Animal Crossing" for grownups who like RPG fantasy games. Or it's "Oblivion" with all the really detailed stuff that makes that game so impressive removed or dumbed down. And it's sooooo easy that I found myself growing bored because there was never any real threat of *anything* Gorgeous looking game with great soundtrack, but it quickly grows tedious. It's basically "Animal Crossing" for grownups who like RPG fantasy games. Or it's "Oblivion" with all the really detailed stuff that makes that game so impressive removed or dumbed down. And it's sooooo easy that I found myself growing bored because there was never any real threat of *anything* happening. Even the good/evil choices are presented in such a morally neutral way that you don't feel good or bad as a player when you make a decision. I enjoyed it enough to play it through to the end (mainly because of the pretty eye candy), but I was left feeling distinctly unimpressed, and a little annoyed that it wasn't a smarter game. Wish I had rented instead of bought it. Collapse
  39. SteveK
    Feb 11, 2009
    The most disappointing game I've played in a long, long time. In truth, not a terrible game, but it is certainly not very good. Sure there is a lot to do, but it is the very definition of "much ado about nothing." Who cares that I can make millions of fake dollars if there is nothing truly epic to buy? Who cares that the world is free-roaming? What's the point? What is the point The most disappointing game I've played in a long, long time. In truth, not a terrible game, but it is certainly not very good. Sure there is a lot to do, but it is the very definition of "much ado about nothing." Who cares that I can make millions of fake dollars if there is nothing truly epic to buy? Who cares that the world is free-roaming? What's the point? What is the point of the social system? Everything is way too easy with no pay-off. Even combat is a joke because there is NO consequence to dying. ZERO. I mean, you respawn instantly from where you fell. And for a 360 game, this game is very ugly. The characters look absolutely hideous, it is inexcuseable. Plus, why is there no armor in this game? Have you people ever played a RPG before???? Instead, I can wear a "gentlemen's coat" while fighting that makes me 5% more attractive in a game where I can easily make anyone fall in love with me in no time, coat or not. (And the clothes are of course, absolutely hideous). Not that it matters. The game feels like one long, boring chore. The original Fable had its flaws, mostly because it was too short and the plot seemed to be mostly an after-thought, but that game had an "edge" to it. It was exciting, mystical, and engrossing. This game seems to have lost any sort of magic that the first game had. Peter Molyneaux should really rethink this whole game-making thing. Overall, this game is a massive disappointment. Expand
  40. SamJohnson
    Feb 22, 2009
    Too short, offline multiplayer sucked, Too easy, button mashy combat, awkward spell system, the story sucked and the ending was ridiculous. Don't expect an epic final boss battle, unless u count shooting bottles as a boss battle.

Excellent graphics, great customisation, you can own any building at all and plenty of weapons to look out for. overall, very disappointing, Fable

overall, very disappointing, Fable lost chapters is certainly a much better game
  41. PatrickRoche
    Mar 2, 2009
    Let me begin by saying that this is not necessarily a bad game. I mean the art style is pretty unique, the combat can be fun and it is kinda cool to make your character look like the badasses from "Brotherhood of the Wold" but that is where the praise for this game ends. This game is the definition of the word disappointment. I loved the first Fable and i believe it was a better game thenLet me begin by saying that this is not necessarily a bad game. I mean the art style is pretty unique, the combat can be fun and it is kinda cool to make your character look like the badasses from "Brotherhood of the Wold" but that is where the praise for this game ends. This game is the definition of the word disappointment. I loved the first Fable and i believe it was a better game then this one. Everything we were promised seems superficial in this game. I mean so i can affect the world but only see the actual effects of my actions in certain areas. I can "customize" my character by dressing him in the same ridiculous looking clothing. Oh but wait i can use horrible looking dye to make my character look like a walking banana if i want to. Also why is it that every male character has Buzz Lightyear's chin? I mean my character looked like Jay Leno's brother and it was annoying. As far as influence goes the social system makes me feel like i was a mime trying to flail my arms about as the inhabitants of Albion painfully explained every finite detail to me because my character is incapable of asking questions. The first Fable was an awesome game that gave us great ideas and begged for a sequel to capitalize on the amazing principles of the first game. Unfortunately this is not that sequel. Peter Molyneaux next time you make a game tell us it is going to be a game about monkeys throwing feces so when we get something slightly more impressive we can actually be impressed. Expand
  42. ericurena
    Mar 20, 2009
    i really wanted to rate this higher but i can't the game was just not very good. the story line was mediocre at best the battles were way too easy & no final battle to speak of or if there was a final battle, it was so easy that i didn't realize it was a final battle. after waiting so long for the sequel, i have to say what a disappiontment. by the way i was a huge fable one fan
  43. MischaB
    Nov 1, 2008
    The game was entertaining and engaging, but it was over very quickly and was did not have the level of immersion and depth expected. There was no armor in the game :(, only clothing. What is up with that? Furthermore, weapon selection was comparatively small when looking at other games such as Oblivion, or even Fable 1. I still prefer to play Fable 1 over this game. Critics rate the game The game was entertaining and engaging, but it was over very quickly and was did not have the level of immersion and depth expected. There was no armor in the game :(, only clothing. What is up with that? Furthermore, weapon selection was comparatively small when looking at other games such as Oblivion, or even Fable 1. I still prefer to play Fable 1 over this game. Critics rate the game based on first impressions and limited play time. In that short amount of time it seems like a great game but soon becomes tedious and uneventful (Especially after beating the short main story line). Expand
  44. BrendanC
    Nov 5, 2008
    Ok, im not a game freak lets put it that way, i have really spent most my xbox 360 time playing FIFA 08 and trying to win everything in the game (which im sure everyone knows is extremely long process). But my brother went out and bought FABLE 2 and i was bored one night and found myself playing this game, 2 in the morning comes around and i have to force myself off the xbox!! i was Ok, im not a game freak lets put it that way, i have really spent most my xbox 360 time playing FIFA 08 and trying to win everything in the game (which im sure everyone knows is extremely long process). But my brother went out and bought FABLE 2 and i was bored one night and found myself playing this game, 2 in the morning comes around and i have to force myself off the xbox!! i was extremely addicted!! graphics where 7/10, loved having a dog companion 8/10, didnt rate the whole family thing (root n run) 4/10, buying all the house's and shop's in the main town 8/10, melee attacks 9/10, ranged attacks 5/10 (barely used), spell attacks 7-8/10(made the game too easy, but loved the different results of using different series of spells ie. 5*time control-4*raise dead-3*shock). story line was interesting i thought and i like the way u can end up being someone completely different come the end of the game(ie im good, bro is evil). having said all that, i still rate the FIFA series 10/10!!!!! keep it up fella's! Expand
  45. JackC.
    Dec 2, 2008
    Before this game came out, I was ready to rate it a 10 no question asked, based on the hype and the game play previews that I had seen. However, after playing this game my views have changed substantially. Yes this game has a LOT of good things about it, brilliantly implemented design techniques such as the dog and the way you socially interact with the villagers and not to mention a Before this game came out, I was ready to rate it a 10 no question asked, based on the hype and the game play previews that I had seen. However, after playing this game my views have changed substantially. Yes this game has a LOT of good things about it, brilliantly implemented design techniques such as the dog and the way you socially interact with the villagers and not to mention a soundtrack that will blow away any other rival rpg soundtrack (keep it coming Danny and Russell). However, the world just doesn't feel the same as the first fable, maybe because it is 500 years down the track but I think that's not the main reason. Combat is extremely satisfying, however after a short while, every battle just seems to be a pointless struggle for experience, which you don't need. It isn't challenging enough while trying to kill the mobs and even the boss' are a blow over. It's a game that gives the player endless opportunities to do many different things, however too many of these things are optional, some only offering an emotional reward, 'love', Maybe Fable 3 will be different, I just hope that it isn't again, 500 years down the track maybe push it back 1000 years, that would be interesting. Expand
  46. JackB.
    Oct 25, 2008
    This game is so fun, too bad I have a game ending glitch keeping me from finishing. I had to start the game over once already. Froze in Brightwood. Minor bugs are one thing, but this is unacceptable. Please post on Lionhead forums if you are freezing, so they can release a patch. Again, I love this game, just wish I could actually play it.
  47. Ian
    Oct 26, 2008
    Not bad, I honestly enjoyed fable 1 more, the story was certainly better in fable 1 (not that fable 1's story was good), there are certainly some more polished aspects of gameplay added in this version of fable, others less. very ho-hum after beating it (which took all of 10 hours).
  48. RyanS
    Dec 7, 2008
    Fable 2 is a very fun game to play. It felt a lot like the first Fable in some ways. The problem with Fable 2 is that I expected so much more and all they gave me was a game that was too easy and too much adult content. I borrowed this game for 1 week and just about got every achievement in 5 days. I know there was more rare items to find but the game just felt unplayable and boring after Fable 2 is a very fun game to play. It felt a lot like the first Fable in some ways. The problem with Fable 2 is that I expected so much more and all they gave me was a game that was too easy and too much adult content. I borrowed this game for 1 week and just about got every achievement in 5 days. I know there was more rare items to find but the game just felt unplayable and boring after the main quest finished. The best part about this game is that on xbox live you can see orbs of other players even not on your friends list. This is very helpful as players can give gifts to each other but the only bad thing is that its a gift giving system not a trading system. So what happens is you give something to another player such as a rare item in return for something else rare and they just log off and you loose your items. So in conclusion this game can be fun at times but it is lacking. Expand
  49. CJCJ
    Oct 29, 2008
    To give credit where it's due, there are indeed interesting moral choices in the game; the ability to buy any building in the game is great, as is the option to marry and raise a family; NPCs' range of flexible reactions to the PC are also good. These are all real breakthroughs. But: The graphics are third-rate; the game is VERY short (couldn't believe how fast I finished To give credit where it's due, there are indeed interesting moral choices in the game; the ability to buy any building in the game is great, as is the option to marry and raise a family; NPCs' range of flexible reactions to the PC are also good. These are all real breakthroughs. But: The graphics are third-rate; the game is VERY short (couldn't believe how fast I finished the main quest, even though I did many side-quests; the story underlying the main quest line isn't compelling, nor even very clear; the side quests are repetitive; the menu structure is awful (after drinking a potion you're forced to scroll through the whole menu again if you wish to drink another); the gameworld is surprisingly small and limited (and you cannot just wander anywhere you want); the maps provided in the menu system are tiny and barely readable; weapon choices are limited; clothing provides no benefits besides "attractiveness"; the combat system is extremely simple and unrealistic -- no skill required at all, just mash the "X" or "Y" button; combat is highly repetitive -- really just the same thing every single time; the spell interface makes it difficult to use more than one or two spells; most objects in the world cannot be interacted with; the game does not allow you to sneak up on enemies; above all, the distant 3rd-person view makes it very difficult to achieve a high level of immersion. Originally, I thought that the major comparison and competitor for Fable II would be TES IV: Oblivion, but although Oblivion is already more than two years old, I find it so far superior to Fable II overall as an RPG that it seems unfair even to compare them. If you liked Oblivion, I expect Fable will disappoint you. Fable II is more comparable to Devil May Cry, though the combat system in the latter is better. Expand
  50. RonG
    Oct 19, 2009
    This game is great in many ways. However the game is soooo short. It would get a much better score if it took longer than a day to beat. Even with sidequests and achievements it's very very short.
  51. MikeChambers
    Feb 15, 2009
    I was pleasantly surprised by both the number of user reviews and the overall average review score of these users. It is a far more accurate representation of this game's quality than the one given by official publications, and inline with not only my own opinion but that of everyone I know who has played it.
    Never has a game, in thirty years of playing them, left me feeling more
    Never has a game, in thirty years of playing them, left me feeling more disappointed than this one. It could and should have been great, especially seeing as it is more Fable 1.5 than a true successor. Where was all that development time spent?
    Play Fable The Lost Chapters instead, and have a much better time doing so!
  52. MarkH
    May 26, 2009
    While Fable 2 offers tons of side quests, it leaves the player feeling like they accomplished very little. It's far too easy to build up a massive real estate empire or get to the higher ratings of jobs and because it's so easy it ends up feeling more like work than fun. The main quest also felt pretty lacking, and while the main characters were entertaining it felt like you While Fable 2 offers tons of side quests, it leaves the player feeling like they accomplished very little. It's far too easy to build up a massive real estate empire or get to the higher ratings of jobs and because it's so easy it ends up feeling more like work than fun. The main quest also felt pretty lacking, and while the main characters were entertaining it felt like you barely got to meet them before the game was over. Overall, Fable 2 has the potential to be really great, but it feels soulless. Expand
  53. EliJ.
    Jul 12, 2009
    this game isnt bad. but then again the combat is complete button smashing and it didn't impress. I also love how edge magazine gives it a 90. I've never seen edge magazine give a ps3 game above an 80. It just goes to show you how biased this site is, especially when it comes to xbox vs. ps3..it makes me laugh.
  54. JohannL
    Nov 11, 2008
    I have not been able to play through it. I attempted it twice but got stopped both times after more than ten hours by gamebreaking bugs. Very frustrating. There is only one saveslot so its pretty much gameover when the game autosaves with one of the numerous gameending bugs active. I am shocked that there still is no patch out. I payed 60
  55. Dave
    Nov 29, 2008
    Fable 2 was the great sequal to Fable released on the xbox, unfortunatly just like the first game, Peter M. promised more than he could give us. Many things said to be in the second game were indeed gone and we recieved a game based off forgotten promises. Its the sad truth, but the happy part to this game is that it still holds your attention for a good 6-7 hours. They is a little bit of Fable 2 was the great sequal to Fable released on the xbox, unfortunatly just like the first game, Peter M. promised more than he could give us. Many things said to be in the second game were indeed gone and we recieved a game based off forgotten promises. Its the sad truth, but the happy part to this game is that it still holds your attention for a good 6-7 hours. They is a little bit of replay value but not enough to keep you coming back again and again. Overall, the game gives us what we expect from the Fable franchise but doesnt deliever enough innovation from the series to save it. Also, the loading between realms is ridiculous when he promised an open world. Expand
  56. Mar 30, 2012
    OMG what a terrible game. This has to rank as one of the most solid game products out there that is dull dull dull. A fantastic job was done on the world and some of the dungeon or areas were done fantastic but the gameplay is about as basic as it can get and even those mechanics are poor at best. The game is so simple it is a one button masher, ok I can understand we want this game to beOMG what a terrible game. This has to rank as one of the most solid game products out there that is dull dull dull. A fantastic job was done on the world and some of the dungeon or areas were done fantastic but the gameplay is about as basic as it can get and even those mechanics are poor at best. The game is so simple it is a one button masher, ok I can understand we want this game to be for the young or inexperienced gamer but then what is with the romantic parts of the game? Are we trying to teach the young how to have an orgy with anyone of any sex because in this game I tried to get my wife and my wife only to follow me and instead we constantly find a mob of groupies standing around me offering to marry me. On the status screen my wife says she wants sex yet you can buy her the world, all her special likes in her favorate world areas, then she does nothing except clap her hands and watch you do silly tricks and is not interested in trigerring her status effects. So, if the status screen says one thing and the action side doesn't match, the game is broken. Its not just broken there either- the game is too simple for advanced gamers and too far out there for youngsters too....Lets talk about other mechanics, I can buy one shop or home then turn my xbox off lets say for a month and come back and I'm a millionare? I like the advancement systems, they are neat but really that is all, if i leave my xbox off i can come back rich as can be and buy the game up. There is so much wrong with this game i don't know where to start. Maybe if i was 10 years old it would appeal but being an adult i have to say this game is definately not for me. Expand
  57. Aug 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok, so Fable II sounds like this really awesome game. I never had any of the gamebreaking glitches mentioned here (but there were some funny ones, such as when Bowerstone lost its buildings after completing a job). However, why am I giving this game a 6? The combat is ok, that's a pass. I like the demon doors and the silver keys, in my opinion, those are the pride and the glory of this game. But there are three glaring problems: lore, story, and items. Albion, I have to say, is not a very exciting fantasy world. Firstly, it's not big, like Nirn (Elder Scrolls), Amalur (KOA:R) or even Tyria (Guild Wars). No fun races (hell, even elves would sound nice in the game), realistic backstory (like who created the world? why the hell are we even in this game?) or even fun creatures (heh, the most menancing is a Balverine, a rip off of every single werewolf you've seen, and btw, only 5 types of creatures to kill). Secondly, its story (which includes sidequests) just lacks the feel Skyrim has. In Skyrim, you're lost in the world, like a kid in a candy store. Everything is beautiful, feels magnificent, and even feels real (bears attacking you on the middle of the road, numerous [and I mean NUMEROUS] caverns, forts, waterfalls, mountains, forests, just like a real world). Secondly, the lore is so bad the story suffers (couldn't you have chosen something better than Hero as the "heroes" of the world? And, might I mention, no fun boss fights [trolls don't count] or final battle-WHY CAN'T I JUST FIGHT LUCIEN? WHY DOES A BULLET JUST KILL HIM?). Thirdly, the item system is no fun. Only four types of weapons (from Rusty, Iron, Steel and Master) instead of countless numbers of great loot and items you get in other rpgs. I don't know if I can call Fable II an RPG. Yes, I can level up. Yes, I can "upgrade" my equipment. The first time I played through it, maybe I said yes. Maybe I convinced myself it was indeed worthy of competing with Oblivion. But now, I know even Oblivion is several steps ahead. If I could become completely lost and immersed in Fable II, then it would absolutley crush Bethesda's masterpiece. But its lack of length or even its lack of redundancy cripple the game, allowing the Elder Scrolls to trample over it. I want more out of you Lionhead. You're not a terrible company. I want to have more items and customizations to choose from. I want to explore a massive, massive, world. Fable could have been that and so much more. It may forever be the game that promised immense potential and failed to deliver. If it were anywhere on the level of Oblivion and Skyrim, then I would crown it the king of games. Expand
  58. Mar 15, 2011
    The highly anticipated Fable 2. I enjoyed Fable 1 so much. it was awesome. I had such high hope. But I've got to be honest. For me it just didn't deliver. There's so many bugs and the most annoying thing of all is the low FPS while executing jobs and cycling through menus. I keep playing hoping it will have more to give but it just doesn't grab me like the first one. Sad face :(
  59. Mar 16, 2011
    Technically sound and nice visuals which I like,however your time in the world of Fable 2 is wasted.Why build up spell power and such when there are no big bosses or even challenging encounters.Some great ideas but poorly implemented.The most generic story very dissapointing.Its bad when you're 4 year old can complete a game like this.I wanted to love it more but it just let me down overTechnically sound and nice visuals which I like,however your time in the world of Fable 2 is wasted.Why build up spell power and such when there are no big bosses or even challenging encounters.Some great ideas but poorly implemented.The most generic story very dissapointing.Its bad when you're 4 year old can complete a game like this.I wanted to love it more but it just let me down over and over and over. Expand
  60. Mar 20, 2011
    First, I will admit that had never played Fable when I played Fable II, so I didn't have any prior experience with the franchise going into this game. That being said, I did have a lot of fun playing this and exploring the world. The story was alright and the character interactions were really quite good/well acted, but the climatic moment was too sudden and short for me to really feelFirst, I will admit that had never played Fable when I played Fable II, so I didn't have any prior experience with the franchise going into this game. That being said, I did have a lot of fun playing this and exploring the world. The story was alright and the character interactions were really quite good/well acted, but the climatic moment was too sudden and short for me to really feel the payoff from all the hours invested. But I did enjoy the metagame of being a hedonistic slum lord hero, and watching the reactions of the NPC's around me - that alone provided hours of hilarity. Expand
  61. May 9, 2011
    Not a bad game. In my mind the user score is more accurate than the metacritic score. Fable is decent, has a good story line and is fun. Also graphics are exceptional. Problem is this game gets boring towards the end. Worth playing.
  62. Aug 30, 2011
    A decent RPG, but not deserving of GOTY 2008 (Gamespot). The game-play was fun while it lasted, but the sense of achievement or adventure in the game was limited by how easy everything is, and how little there is to do.
  63. Nov 9, 2011
    I enjoyed playing this game particularly with all the little options available, but it never really clicked for me. I never found the draw to come back and finish this one. Didn't stop me from playing the 3rd one on sale but it really didn't shine as much as I'd hoped it would.
  64. Nov 29, 2011
    Its pretty average if you ask me and not as good as the first game. While Fable 2 is a ton more realistic and life like then the previous game, There are a ton and I mean a ton of bugs and glitches as well as a poorly designed world and simple combat. Its pretty disapointing.
  65. Dec 20, 2012
    The overall feeling I had with this game is that it took most of what the original did wrong and made it right but also inexplicably left out most of what the first game did right. The magic in this game just didn't feel as fun as it did in Fable, you didn't feel like an unstoppable powerhouse and that's probably because they didn't want you to be one. However that's what I liked about theThe overall feeling I had with this game is that it took most of what the original did wrong and made it right but also inexplicably left out most of what the first game did right. The magic in this game just didn't feel as fun as it did in Fable, you didn't feel like an unstoppable powerhouse and that's probably because they didn't want you to be one. However that's what I liked about the original game, running around in Union Jack boxers beating up guards with a stick, it was funny. I feel that a lot of the humour was lost in this game. Unfortunately it doesn't replace the humour with a more solid storyline, that is, unless you're playing as the good guy. I always feel that Fable would have benefitted if instead of calling you Evil when you were getting up to mischief, they called you a "bit of an a**hole who still gets the job done" because there was a point in the game when I was standing head and shoulders above Theresa wearing a dark trench coat and a pirate hat and I felt like I was being told off by my mother. In Fable this would have been funny but the sequel just didn't quite pull it off. Still a very fun game, pity they never bothered releasing it for PC. Expand
  66. Jan 14, 2013
    If you're after a decent economy, a great selection of weapons and a fully fleshed out sandbox RPG, Fable 2 might just be the game for you.
    Graphically superior to Fable 1 and Superior in every field to Fable 3, I always come back to it every year to play through again.
    You can also train up your dog, build statues of yourself, buy potions which give you experience points, buy shops, rent out properties without having to maintain them.

Additionally, the player can make money even when the game isn't switched on. Every hour, the money the player makes through a rented property gets added on regardless of whether the game is on or not.
    Also, One of the demon doors in the game provides the best jump scare in a game ever.
  67. Feb 8, 2013
    Fable 2 is a good game. The story is fine but could have been better, the combat is a bit sluggish but okay once you get used to it. The dog feature was nice as it follows your alignment and changes like you and the towns are lively as villagers and guards spawn back if they die. I was disappointed in the ending though as it wasn't a good ending. But overall I had fun playing this game andFable 2 is a good game. The story is fine but could have been better, the combat is a bit sluggish but okay once you get used to it. The dog feature was nice as it follows your alignment and changes like you and the towns are lively as villagers and guards spawn back if they die. I was disappointed in the ending though as it wasn't a good ending. But overall I had fun playing this game and maybe you can too. Expand
  68. Mar 17, 2013
    Fable II by Lionhead Studio's is a solid action adventure game but it just lacks in a lot of area's, The game is way too easy which takes away any challenge the game could of had, the world is sometimes very graphically appealing and has a magical feel, but other times it's bland and uninteresting, It's a very mixed bag with some silly design choices. The fact that you have to sit thereFable II by Lionhead Studio's is a solid action adventure game but it just lacks in a lot of area's, The game is way too easy which takes away any challenge the game could of had, the world is sometimes very graphically appealing and has a magical feel, but other times it's bland and uninteresting, It's a very mixed bag with some silly design choices. The fact that you have to sit there doing boring work mini-games to get money is the most uninteresting game design I have seen in recent times, Your companion dog is a nice addition with some good AI to him with helping find you treasure and dig spots, But in the end Fable II is a technically solid title, but bad design choices bring it down dramatically. If you own an Xbox 360 and want a fantasy action adventure title, Fable II is a decent ride despite some issues but if you are looking for deep game design then you should look elsewhere as you will not find it here. Expand
  69. May 31, 2013
    fable 2 is disappointing but that dose not mean it is bad. Fable 2 has a mediocre story and average side quests, but there are two main problems which are the game is to easy i was never on the edge or worried that i was going to die because i never died once in the entire game. The second problem was the combat was only based on one button so in combat all i needed to do was keep pressingfable 2 is disappointing but that dose not mean it is bad. Fable 2 has a mediocre story and average side quests, but there are two main problems which are the game is to easy i was never on the edge or worried that i was going to die because i never died once in the entire game. The second problem was the combat was only based on one button so in combat all i needed to do was keep pressing x all the time to win. Thats not to say its all bad managing my property was pretty cool and a nice addition to the game, it was also very addictive. Expand
  70. Mar 22, 2014
    The main downfall with Fable 2 is, in my opinion, the fact that it is a victim of it's own success. Fable: The Lost Chapters was stunning, but Fable 2 was far less impressive. However, it was, by any stretch of the mind, a worthwhile game for the franchise.

The story, I personally found, was slightly deeper and more innovative than the original, with three heroes who must come together to defeat the current ruler of Albion. The game takes place in what appears to be around the 1700's. The regions are far more expansive than it's predecessor, and there is a lot more to collect and do, but the combat is not so great. Every time you get knocked down, you simply get up again like it was nothing, and lose any experience you dropped. This removes any specific challenge within the game, and makes it almost insulting to fans of the previous game. There are still legendary weapons, lots of property to buy, lots of dig spots, gambling, and a new feature to the series; jobs. You will earn money by activating the job at one of the work points, and then playing a minigame, which can get slightly repetitive after a while, but is good to make a little extra on the top. Property can still be purchased, and on occasion, is mandatory for specific quests and items.

There isn't much more to say about this game. Just think Fable with less challenge, more collectibles, bigger regions, new characters, new story, new experience system, and you have Fable 2. Not perfect, but not terrible.
  71. Jan 19, 2014
    Fable II misses out on the top end of the scores for two reasons, the first being that it didn't deliver what it promised in the build up to it's release, a lot of the features qualities where exaggerated I mean the world responds to your actions but in a very poor way and the moral choice system is straight up garbage. The second reason it misses out is because it fails as an RPG, it'sFable II misses out on the top end of the scores for two reasons, the first being that it didn't deliver what it promised in the build up to it's release, a lot of the features qualities where exaggerated I mean the world responds to your actions but in a very poor way and the moral choice system is straight up garbage. The second reason it misses out is because it fails as an RPG, it's like the game can't decide weather its a hack and slash or a role player. I admit the world (well most of it) is built to RPG standards, there are a few linear bits, but the towns are great places to spend time but it's all for no reason. The game looks good with a Disneyesque presentation which gives the game real character and the characters themselves are fun and colourful with lots of well crafted quests, the combat is solid however a little repetitive but overall this game is well worth playing despite it not quite delivering on expectations. Expand

1. Fable II is everything Molyneux promised the first time around. It's funny, deep, emotional, epic, and, yes, wildly charming. We are already eager for a second playthrough, and we're betting a lot of you will have exactly the same reaction. [Dec 2008, p.68]
  2. It’s a game that builds gradually and then becomes irresistible, a beautiful lump of an RPG that continues beyond the close of its main campaign, and will have you thinking about it when you’re not at your 360. [Dec 2008, p.79]
  3. The combat handles well, it’s visually stunning, the voice acting and musical score are brilliant, and the epic storyline doesn’t end before it begins (like the first game did). But the most appealing thing about it is that it delivers everything that Molyneux has promised, plus it is oozing with wit and charm - something sorely lacking from many games nowadays. At the end of the day, Fable II is a triumph and a must buy.