6.5

1. Nov 12, 2014
    This game is way too short. Several great ideas, like the ability to purchase properties to bring in a constant income, are negated because (a) the games too short for that to have a positive impact, and (b) at some point you won't know what to do with that excess money anyway!

People talk about Fable's charm, and while I somewhat see that, sometimes it just boils down to fart jokes and constant flipping the bird. That's not charm folks; that's child's play.

Combat is somewhat more enjoyable than the original, but that's not saying much. For a game that prides itself on choice, you really only have two impacting choices in the game: be good or be evil.

The story if lackluster, which is typical of all Fable games. The characters are a little more interesting. It's just not enough to keep you hooked. I struggled to finish the game, which is terrible considering how short it is! Some of the mini-games are fun though.

I'm not sure I'd recommend any Fable game, and after this one I didn't even try the third (although I hear it's more of the same). Look elsewhere for fun RPGs.
  2. Jun 27, 2011
    Fable has yet to make good on its promise of revolutionizing the RPG. Combat has been simplified, meaning that swords, bows and magic each have their own buttons. There is a significant imbalance between these powers, with magic becoming so strong that you would be stupid to use anything else. The story is one-dimensional and the characters are never developed. The side aspects of the gameFable has yet to make good on its promise of revolutionizing the RPG. Combat has been simplified, meaning that swords, bows and magic each have their own buttons. There is a significant imbalance between these powers, with magic becoming so strong that you would be stupid to use anything else. The story is one-dimensional and the characters are never developed. The side aspects of the game (a variety of jobs, marrying, having a family) are shallow and there is not much point (other than money) to spend any time at them. Getting married is the most uninteresting as every man and woman are pretty much the same. The only information given are their names and moderately useful facts about them. The game is too short and the final boss is underwhelming. Still, I would be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy playing it. There are lots of secrets and plenty of loot to keep players interested. The combat is fast and satisfying. The world is wider and more accessible although Albion never feels as alive or as vibrant as Cyrodil from Oblivion or Hyrule from Legend of Zelda. The Fable series, though entertaining, has many problems at its core and has yet to reach the upper echelons of western RPG's. Expand
  3. JozefK
    Oct 10, 2009
    I really wanted to like it, but it was frankly a waste of time. The story was shallow, and with the ability to complete pretty much every aspect of the game with little to no-effort... there was little incentive to play. In the original I enjoyed going through the demon doors getting the legendary items, but what's the point when many of the weapons I can get from the stores are I really wanted to like it, but it was frankly a waste of time. The story was shallow, and with the ability to complete pretty much every aspect of the game with little to no-effort... there was little incentive to play. In the original I enjoyed going through the demon doors getting the legendary items, but what's the point when many of the weapons I can get from the stores are better. The main story was completed within some 8 hours with little incentive to play further aside for some slightly 'alternative' endings. Which make no real impact aside from unless you choose to have your dog resurrected (one of the endings) you won't be able to do many of the side quests. It just all feels redundant, especially for those who've played the original fable (which I have to say had significantly more depth). In the original fable it was genuinly fun upgrading my character, and progressing each abilities skill tree. But when you have a definitive 'best' ability, and no challenge within the gameplay itself it has a very 'what's the point in all this' feel, to everything. 800 gamerscore within 1 day of play, at which point it was returned to store. Very disappointing. Expand
  4. Oct 29, 2010
    As much as I enjoyed Fable I it hurts for me to say that Fable II felt like a step back. The game barely even felt like an RPG. I enjoyed romping through Albion, but in the end I play RPGs for stories in which I feel I had a great impact. I just did not come close to that with Fable II. It is it's over-simplified combat and black and white morality choices that break the experience forAs much as I enjoyed Fable I it hurts for me to say that Fable II felt like a step back. The game barely even felt like an RPG. I enjoyed romping through Albion, but in the end I play RPGs for stories in which I feel I had a great impact. I just did not come close to that with Fable II. It is it's over-simplified combat and black and white morality choices that break the experience for me. Not to mention that there are less weapons, clothes, and absolutely no armor in the game. Customizing my character's appearance was fun to me. Now it is reduced to a handful of outfits. Being able to change the clothing's color is nice, but its not a saving grace. The addition of a pet is a good idea, as are the job mini-games (but jobs get dull far too fast). In the end this game is just too shallow for me to find playing it to be worth the price of admission. Expand
  5. MattP
    Oct 30, 2008
    In a word, meh. Fable was a really interesting game when it came out for the Xbox, and followed in the same vein as Jade Empire in the action-RPG realm, but Fable 2 doesn't really build on that idea any more, rather it expands on the general idea of Fable and just makes it MORE. There aren't enough items to keep me really interested (it reminded me of the the item recycling in In a word, meh. Fable was a really interesting game when it came out for the Xbox, and followed in the same vein as Jade Empire in the action-RPG realm, but Fable 2 doesn't really build on that idea any more, rather it expands on the general idea of Fable and just makes it MORE. There aren't enough items to keep me really interested (it reminded me of the the item recycling in WoW) and there is not immediacy to the game: nothing seems like it HAS to be done, which, in an RPG where you really don't have to do anything besides the main story, isn't good. In KotOR, you were really interested to see was happened when you solved the murder on Maanan, or in Oblivion you wanted to see the new and inventive way you could murder people in the Dark Brotherhood. But in Fable, meh. Expand
  6. MatthewM
    Mar 30, 2009
    While not terrible, there simply isn't enough to do, most the side quests are completed as the main story progresses and if you miss any early ones out, it appears to become irreversible. While the bugs are less noticable than other titles, there are still several parts of this game that ruin its "open world" feel. As much as you can go back to places you've visited the roads While not terrible, there simply isn't enough to do, most the side quests are completed as the main story progresses and if you miss any early ones out, it appears to become irreversible. While the bugs are less noticable than other titles, there are still several parts of this game that ruin its "open world" feel. As much as you can go back to places you've visited the roads there are all too linear. As much as decision making was hyped up there can be parts of Fable 2 where players aiming for pure good/evil characters are forced to go down an unfavourable route to keep thier traits. i shall admit that the graphics work well with the setting.not really worth playing for those new to the series or genre. fable fans can expect some fun from it but dont get your hopes up on it besting the first game. Fable 2, an average game more light on content than light hearted. 63/100. Expand
  7. Mar 9, 2011
    Fable II is entertaining and, at least for a time, fun. The main quest line is very short, though, and the myriad side quests and "life" elements that supposedly provide "hours and hours" of gameplay really aren't very much fun. Combat is really easy, and the proliferation of life phials means that even in the off chance that you do fall in battle, you're revived without consequence.Fable II is entertaining and, at least for a time, fun. The main quest line is very short, though, and the myriad side quests and "life" elements that supposedly provide "hours and hours" of gameplay really aren't very much fun. Combat is really easy, and the proliferation of life phials means that even in the off chance that you do fall in battle, you're revived without consequence. Even if you DON'T have said life phial., you're resurrected with a negligible loss of experience and a scar somewhere on your body. Oh no, my video game character is scarred! Now I have to restart the whole game! The interface to switch between spells is also poorly constructed, making it nearly impossible to create a true mage. Ranged weapons are handy here and there, but the game is really geared toward the swordsman build. Overall, the RPG elements are lacking.

But then, you're supposed to be able to spend hours "living the life" of the hero. Sure, you can get married. Multiple times, even. To a man and a woman, if you want. But who cares? You can get a job doing the same thing - chopping wood, pouring beer, banging a hammer on an anvil - over and over and over and over again. Woo-hoo. You can buy every single piece of property in the entire game world, if you have to patience to save up the money. You can watch your weight or get fat. You can get tattoos and haircuts, as well as change your clothes. But these are things I have to do in real life! I don't want to have to do them in a video game, too! Fable II is a mildly entertaining, quaint game that gets old after about 10 hours. Even for the obsessive compulsive completionist, this game will disappoint.
  8. SarahS
    Oct 27, 2008
    Like the first Fable, this is a decent title. It has a few bugs, it suffers from long load times, and you can't really enjoy exploring because of the poor graphics on a standard television... the menu is a bit clunky and slow, and that makes eating multiple items a chore. Combat is somewhat entertaining later on (it gets better as you 'level') but it's never Like the first Fable, this is a decent title. It has a few bugs, it suffers from long load times, and you can't really enjoy exploring because of the poor graphics on a standard television... the menu is a bit clunky and slow, and that makes eating multiple items a chore. Combat is somewhat entertaining later on (it gets better as you 'level') but it's never challenging. It has some cute features, such as marriage and getting your wife pregnant, and buying and selling property, but they aren't enough to sustain it. Also, the game is really rather short... I feel those features would be better utilized in a longer game. Also, the load times are annoying when you're traveling back and forth via fast travel to make a buck. Would be better on a PC (or if you could install.) Expand
  9. JayC
    Nov 13, 2009
    For all the expansiveness of the world, it felt like an uninspired sequel. You couldn't retain as ridiculous levels of power, making it less fun, and the only hard fights are the spires. There wasn't a feeling of a boss fight, especially at the end of the game, which robbed me of most of the joy I'd had up to that point. Nonetheless, I was entertained, but not impressed.
  10. Jul 3, 2011
    That was it? Throughout playing the game, I kept going back and forth from giving this game an eight or a seven. With the defeat of the main threat over (and still having over half of the side quests to do) I easily settled on a seven. It's not so much that this game has potential, it reached extremely well everything that they wanted to do to make it a unique and entertaining, it's justThat was it? Throughout playing the game, I kept going back and forth from giving this game an eight or a seven. With the defeat of the main threat over (and still having over half of the side quests to do) I easily settled on a seven. It's not so much that this game has potential, it reached extremely well everything that they wanted to do to make it a unique and entertaining, it's just that they forgot to flesh out a story for your hero. A big plus was the "Sims interaction" approach with all the npcs. It certainly doesn't feel like your hero is the loneliest person on the planet any more. The combat starts off annoying due to the button mashing, but after leveling up your not having to hit the same ol' button (too much anyway). The use of a gun and the ability granted to shoot the body, head (always go for the head) or the weapon was a nice unique feature that you can't even find in today's shooters. And even though they went with caricatures of a 2-D style, the game's artwork and graphics were stunning. Probably one of the best looking RPG's I've played to date (and this game is three years old at this point) because of the artists strong attention to detail they give this game. After reading other reviews, I keep seeing the words "for the experience", and, yes, I agree. I recommend this above else for the experience of what Lionhead has created. But the sad parts are, for one, you are stuck on paths and have very little room to explore the world that was created. And the mapping system left me seriously disorientated to where I was at in the relationship to the continent? country? world? of Albion. Which is how I think this game comes off; disorientating yet worth getting lost into. Even if it's for the short duration of its plot line. Expand
  11. Apr 19, 2011
    There were a lot of cool things in the game, but the game was just not well balanced and integrated. First, it is extremely easy. I kept thinking that this was a kid's game and then realized that it had adult content. The interface is horrible. Inventory use and management is prohibitively slow and awkward. The economy is completely out of scale- I had millions of gold with very littleThere were a lot of cool things in the game, but the game was just not well balanced and integrated. First, it is extremely easy. I kept thinking that this was a kid's game and then realized that it had adult content. The interface is horrible. Inventory use and management is prohibitively slow and awkward. The economy is completely out of scale- I had millions of gold with very little to spend it on. On a related issue, re: treasures you have to patiently wait for the dog to find the 'dig spot', and then patiently wait until the digging animation was done. And then.. boom.. the treasures were almost always useless. When I have over 2 million gold, a sack of 5,000 gold is unrewarding. To me, it is as though they made the game, but never bothered playing it. Because anyone who played the game would notice these issues. It is unfortunate, because there were some very cool features in the game, and the potential was there for a great game but the lack of *balance* and *integration* really made the game hard to be fun. I'm not sure how some critics (or users) felt justified giving this game a 10. It's definitely not a 10. Some of the features of the game may have deserved a 10, but, as a whole, I think the User Score average captured it with a 6.2. Expand
  12. Apr 21, 2011
    Fable 2 is the second in Lionhead Studio's series of games that over reach and promise to be a complete and immersive game experience but just sort of end up being mediocre action/adventure titles, Though nice to look at and filled with some great comedic dialougue and some good SIM-life options Fable 2 falls short of the hype. Should it be judged so harshly on hype? Normally I would sayFable 2 is the second in Lionhead Studio's series of games that over reach and promise to be a complete and immersive game experience but just sort of end up being mediocre action/adventure titles, Though nice to look at and filled with some great comedic dialougue and some good SIM-life options Fable 2 falls short of the hype. Should it be judged so harshly on hype? Normally I would say 'No." but the developers here have used their 'innovation" and "unique and creative game design" buzzwords to create a frothing pulsing hype around what they claim to be a game changer but just ends up being "pretty entertaining".

Fable 2 is kind of short. From the standpoint of any RPG fan. The main story missions will take you well under 15 hours to complete. There are side quests and jobs to perform and houses to buy so that you could just try and inhabit the world for hours after you've completed the game but since none of this seems necessary to the overall plot I found myself not giving a hoot. The story attempts greatness and I must say, since I was reading the Dark Tower series while playing this, there were certain elements that thoroughly intrigued me, but it does fall apart almost comically in the third act. To the point where you're left wonder what the hell just happened.

It isn't all bad. The combat system is top notch allowing action gamers like me to take control of of 3 different play styles all at once and giving you a great sense of power and finesse throughout. Even in the most mundane of battles I found myself enjoying it to the last swing, shot or fireball. It's a great looking game as well. None of that photo-realistic mumbo jumbo, this thing is completely stylish (like a Fable) and it all looks great. The arcetechture and clothes all contribute to a great setting.

All in all I did want to enjoy this more than I did. But with customization options just laying there like a limp noodle as well as the story. The short list of good points don't add up to a "game changer".
  13. CarloF
    Nov 7, 2008
    A big disappointment.... Not a gg at all. Very short and i can't immagine how to excuse the lack of deph that a RPG that has this metacritic score should have.
  14. ErikP.
    Oct 21, 2008
    I have only played a little bit of the game, but I can already tell it's only going to be a marginal release. The graphics are beautiful on an HD quite stunning. That's the only good thing I can say at the moment. The controls are sluggish, the weapon design is weak, talking to people could be better. I mean if you're going to make a live action rpg take a note from I have only played a little bit of the game, but I can already tell it's only going to be a marginal release. The graphics are beautiful on an HD quite stunning. That's the only good thing I can say at the moment. The controls are sluggish, the weapon design is weak, talking to people could be better. I mean if you're going to make a live action rpg take a note from Bethesda with Oblivion. Make something dope and interesting that continues to have a lasting affect for days to come. There will be kids that like Fable and some that will not enjoy it. Those who don't enjoy it know what a real RPG is and can be. I would say look out for Fallout 3. That game is going to be crazy good. Expand
  15. ShawnK
    Dec 23, 2008
    The first fable was way better but I think it still should be a must have for all xbox 360 owners. The graphics are awesome it is fun to play and I like how the people in the game react to your character. It could have had more regions like fable 1 and the map system could have been a lot better. They also should have never released it with all the glitches but it still is a great game The first fable was way better but I think it still should be a must have for all xbox 360 owners. The graphics are awesome it is fun to play and I like how the people in the game react to your character. It could have had more regions like fable 1 and the map system could have been a lot better. They also should have never released it with all the glitches but it still is a great game anyway. I really hope that lionhead makes a fable 3 but if they in fact do they should really concentrate on it a lot more and go back to more of the concepts from fable 1. Expand
  16. MikeR.
    Oct 27, 2008
    Filled with glitches and the online Co-op is a waste of time. A few more months of development and polish could have made this game live up to its hype.
  17. StevenH
    Oct 31, 2008
    This is a very enjoyable game but very familiar to the original Fable game. Not necessarily a bad thing to be honest but they could have at least made an effort to make the way the events came in different. for example...you're young, grow up, quest for a bit (this isn't what i mean i'm just using it to get to my point) there is a tournament with a different name, there is This is a very enjoyable game but very familiar to the original Fable game. Not necessarily a bad thing to be honest but they could have at least made an effort to make the way the events came in different. for example...you're young, grow up, quest for a bit (this isn't what i mean i'm just using it to get to my point) there is a tournament with a different name, there is a prison-esque place where you spend many years staying in without your equipment...it goes on. I enjoyed the first Fable but was a little annoyed at playing it over again with next gen gloss and a different name for things (the crucible instead of the arena). Apart from this there is an awesome game inside. There is the odd glitch and load times are a bit long sometimes and costumes do no difference defence wise which is a shame because it was an integral part of the original. Nice things this time round include property development, jobs, your dog and the combat system is easy to get into but complex enough to master. All in all a good game if not really being Fable 1.5 Expand
  18. JohnS.
    Oct 30, 2008
    I enjoyed this game very much, despite all the bugs, shallow gameplay and lack of content. The gameplay feels just right, but there is very little depth in it and most of the time its just button mashing. The spell system is alright, however it's overshadowed by you melee weapon. Once your spells reach its maximum level of potency, they become VERY powerful, however, it takes to long I enjoyed this game very much, despite all the bugs, shallow gameplay and lack of content. The gameplay feels just right, but there is very little depth in it and most of the time its just button mashing. The spell system is alright, however it's overshadowed by you melee weapon. Once your spells reach its maximum level of potency, they become VERY powerful, however, it takes to long to charge, therefore you are better of using your melee weapon. Another problem with spells is that there are no supportive spells (like Heal, Protective shield thing, ect.) like there were in Fable 1, therefore, investing all your points in just Will Power is just a waste of time unless you plan on getting swords stuck up your ass while you're waiting for your spells to charge. Guns are also nice, but again they are overshadowed by your melee weapon once enemies get in close range. Another problem with guns is that most of the time you don't know where enemies are, thus making sniping via the zoom function useless. I find the lack of minimap very frustrating. I truly hate the little glowing thing which you follow, It shouldn't of replace the minimap. Let me explain why: when your following the glowing trail, you follow the glowing trail, and most of the time you don't pay attention to anything else but the glowing trail because you generally don't have an idea of where you are going due to the fact that unfamiliar with the surrounding area. With the minimap, it tells you in the "general" direction where to go, so you can start going in that direction and not stare at the ground constantly. There are very few things to buy, and there are few armor sets which are all very poor looking. The UI is atrocious; slow, unresponsive and glitchy. I haven't try the coop yet TBH so I won't talk about it. The storyline is WEAK. Particularly the ending; probably the must disappointing ending in any game i've ever play. I expect an EPIC boss fight, but NO, it just had to END. I pretty much agree with everything that Danny H said, so I won't say anymore. This game feels unpolished, shallow and its very buggy. Expand
  19. CeeJ
    Jan 17, 2009
    This game is really not all it is cracked up to be. Don't get me wrong, its a pretty good game. Its just not great. The game is short, the controls are at times awkward, the menu and map system also very clumsy and awkward. It is ridiculously easy and unsatisfying. This game does not contain the "open world" that it claims. For a very good RPG see Oblivion or Fallout 3.
  20. StevenH
    Jan 2, 2009
    Well, first of all.... The game started off pretty welcoming, I was expecting alot more from Fable 1, but... I kinda expected the short story line, so that did not bother me. What did dissapoint me, was lack in armor, and the 1 second lag whenever you try to perform an action. Also the D-pad menu bar doesn't stay up, like in Fable 1. The dog is pretty cool, but makes findingWell, first of all.... The game started off pretty welcoming, I was expecting alot more from Fable 1, but... I kinda expected the short story line, so that did not bother me. What did dissapoint me, was lack in armor, and the 1 second lag whenever you try to perform an action. Also the D-pad menu bar doesn't stay up, like in Fable 1. The dog is pretty cool, but makes finding treasures very very easy. The impossibility to truly die on the game makes it tooo easy of a game. Plus, you can kill like 209742974 enemies easy. I like how you can turn safe mode on and off, that keeps you from messing up too much in town. There isn't a very big spell list on the game, and You can only use 1 spell at a time, because it takes too long to switch spells. Easy to fall in love/marry. Too easy, I thought the adult content to it was kinda funny, condoms? lol... but there could of been alot of work added to it. Found some glitches, like little kids talking, about the same thing... over, and over, and over.... Not very new monsters... I do like how your decisions change everything in the future for you. It isn't fun going to the menu every second for something, (the hotkey function in Fable1 isn't on this one for the D-pad use) kinda a pain in the .... I wish the dog would like, attack things, instead of bark. The co-op should of let the other player play as a real character rather then a henchman. There were less melee weapons this time, and no great sword either. Money is too easy to get. The leveling in abilities was kinda rediculous tho, first you get 1 level of a spell for 600, then later 2300, then later 12000? kinda a big jump eh? You will beat the game before your max in power, but you don't really need all that power to beat the game tho. (cuse you never really die) I was expecting a 9/10 with this game, but was dissapointed in a way. People rating this 10/10 must be crazy, and these people rating under 4 must be children with no sense. As much as I want to give this game a 10, it just isn't a 10 rating game. Hoping for a Fable 3 though, with... improvements due to everyone's responses... Also one more thing, the territory isn't very vast, and you really can't travel everywhere too much. I love the ability to jump off some ledges, but can't we get the ability to jump when we want? lol... hard to find RPGs where you can simply... jump... even kids jump. More monsters, less lagg, more armor, more weapons, more spells, more landscape to travel, more difficulty, more story, better co-op. Thanks! Expand
  21. NicholasA
    Jan 15, 2010
    This turn out the be a cool game at first but the only down thing about it is that once you are finished, there not much else to do. but this is a really good RPG
  22. ChrissyT
    Nov 12, 2008
    Having enjoyed Fable1 on my 360 a year ago (bargain bin) I immediately picked up this sequel at launch. But so far I didn't get very far into the game. The game just doesn't manage to get me hooked, and that's probably due to some small annoyances and too much hype. First of all the whole thing with the real estate and family planning is just a gimmick like in the first Having enjoyed Fable1 on my 360 a year ago (bargain bin) I immediately picked up this sequel at launch. But so far I didn't get very far into the game. The game just doesn't manage to get me hooked, and that's probably due to some small annoyances and too much hype. First of all the whole thing with the real estate and family planning is just a gimmick like in the first game, but more elaborate. It doesn't really feel like you're doing anything usefull or fun, trying to get one o the onlookers to accept your engagement ring. It's just not rewarding. Neither are the minigames that make you money. Yes you'll get cash, but do I really want to sit through endless button mashing for that? I found a lack of a decent mapping system very annoying. You can only see a small area map in the menu, only shows your current 'zone'. There is no accessable world map. This means that it all depends on either trial and error OR flipping on the stupid light-up-trail OR the instant travel.Neither of these options are particulary fun. Maybe I just need to give the game a rest and try again in a month or so. Or maybe I'm just getting tired of RPGs. Expand
  23. emileb
    Nov 14, 2008
    I wouldn
  24. ChristianC
    Nov 18, 2008
    I never had the chance to play the first Fable, so instead of buying that game, I decided to wait and spend my money on the sequel. Now that a have it, I can say that I feel very disappointed. This game has very nice visual effects and music score, sometimes is fun and... well, that's were ends the goods. After a while the game becomes very tedious, the controls are slow and I never had the chance to play the first Fable, so instead of buying that game, I decided to wait and spend my money on the sequel. Now that a have it, I can say that I feel very disappointed. This game has very nice visual effects and music score, sometimes is fun and... well, that's were ends the goods. After a while the game becomes very tedious, the controls are slow and sometimes don't respond, menus are very slow also, you can't sort items and only one item can be use at a time, then you need to navigate through the slow menus again just to use another item... And the game is so easy... you name it: battles, money, experience, even sex and getting married!, everything in this game is so easy to do that it feels like "Action RPG for Dummies". Money is so easy to gain, just bought properties and rent them, and you forget about worrying for money. Battles are not deep, just [X] for melee attacks (repeat for extra moves), [Y] to shoot your weapons (keep pressed for manual aim) and [B] to use your magic (keep pressed for stronger magic, while the enemies are hitting you). Characters and general designs are just ugly... yes, that's the word, ugly. People are deformed, house and buildings are simple... it feels like a PS2 game with nice visuals running emulated in the XBOX 360. The only nice things in the game are the dawns & dusks over the water, and the lights through the forrest. And the worst thing in this game is the A.I., is so dumb... oh well, you've got the idea... The comments I read about the first Fable and the ADs and videos I watched showing how the sequel would be, I just got "hypnotized" expecting a fabulous game, instead, I have this over-hyped buggy-short-game that only deserves no more than a 7 of 10. Expand
  25. MB
    Nov 1, 2008
    Flawed but overall a decent effort. Feels more like a Fable reimagined, with the hints to the previous game highlighting the lack of substantial changes. Note this is not an RPG. True depth isn't present with regards to customization but it is more of an Adventure game with RPG elements. Lionhead designed the game to be accessible to all, not just gamers. Hence the difficulty not Flawed but overall a decent effort. Feels more like a Fable reimagined, with the hints to the previous game highlighting the lack of substantial changes. Note this is not an RPG. True depth isn't present with regards to customization but it is more of an Adventure game with RPG elements. Lionhead designed the game to be accessible to all, not just gamers. Hence the difficulty not matching similar titles. Overall a decent addition to any gamers collection. Expand
  26. BennyH.
    Nov 30, 2008
    Amazing graphics, awesome dog but not enough side quests, and not enough towns. Combat looks great and is pretty fun (lots of cool moves to learn) but is often very easy, especially considering you can't die. Storyline sucks balls, not enough clothing variety (though dyes are awesome) or kick ass legendary weapons, your kids don't grow up, there is no dynamic environmental Amazing graphics, awesome dog but not enough side quests, and not enough towns. Combat looks great and is pretty fun (lots of cool moves to learn) but is often very easy, especially considering you can't die. Storyline sucks balls, not enough clothing variety (though dyes are awesome) or kick ass legendary weapons, your kids don't grow up, there is no dynamic environmental morphing, instead environments only change as a result of conscious choices, as opposed to sub-conscious actions. Lack of cutscenes means the game has a different atmosphere to Fable 1, which is sad because the atmosphere in Fable 1 was one of the main things that made it stand out from other RPGs. The jobs are pretty cool, havent tried co-op yet but that looks good. The new spell system sucks. The guns rock. No fist fighting? WTF??? Where are the pub brawls and the utilisation of the environment during combat that i was expecting? Being a woman looks cool and there is a good replayability factor. Where is the fucking minimap? The breadcrumb trail is more constricting than the minimap because i always follow it sub-consciously! What a fucking frustrating game, moments of brilliance and moments of mediocrity vie for superiority. Ho hum. Expand
  27. EricB
    Nov 5, 2008
    At most i'd say that this was a solid game; not incredibly good but at the same time not terrible. The main story line was a definite disappointment, took maybe 12 to 14 hours to beat and the ending was a total bummer. Gameplay was fun if your a straight up warrior type, just hack n' slash melee (which is fine with me cuase i'm not much of the caster type). Guns were a fun At most i'd say that this was a solid game; not incredibly good but at the same time not terrible. The main story line was a definite disappointment, took maybe 12 to 14 hours to beat and the ending was a total bummer. Gameplay was fun if your a straight up warrior type, just hack n' slash melee (which is fine with me cuase i'm not much of the caster type). Guns were a fun addition but not really a huge part of the experience because mobs run right up to u as soon as thier hit, and i never did manage to get a decapitation. After the main storyline theres a couple more quests to do and a lot of buying houses which, im not really sure how that is a quest but whatever. All in All, I think the first one was definitely better and I wouldn't really reccommend buying this game if you know someone who already has it. Just barrow it and play it for 2 days and you'll be done Expand
  28. JonO
    Nov 8, 2008
    I had been waiting ages to play this game and in the end it was just a load of hype. The game looks fantastic with brilliant backgrounds and excellent lighting but that is about it. The story line is poor and combat is boring and too easy. I loved the first Fable but this is an abomonation of a follow up.
  29. ChrissyT
    Dec 2, 2008
    About 2 weeks ago I rated the game a 6, having only put a few hours into it and not feeling very compelled to continue playing.
    Yesterday I decided to continue playing. After playing what feels like only 1/3 through the game, I was treated to the end credits. I had heard about the '10 hours main quest' but to me it feels more like 5-7 hours. Seeing how the walkthroughs on gamefaqs cover the main story in only a few pages, I was forced to accept that this indeed was all there is to Fable 2. I think you can count the total number of maps on 2 hands. Yes the location maps are quite big but there ant nearly as much of them as in Fable 1, and they are still mostly good looking but 'empty' environments.
    You can still continue playing the side quests, but there arent'y really a lot of those either, and most of them are rather short.
    So unless you fancy running around and digging for treasure or trying to get a truckload of wives or real estate which is all rather pointless, this game is not worth your money. Rent or buy used.
  30. maxs
    Oct 23, 2008
    after the first one disappointed me so much, and hearing how good this one was, i decided to pick it up. More of the same! I can't believe after how boring the first was, that they continue the same. Such a disappointment, i can't believe how gimmicky this game tries to be.

1. Fable II is everything Molyneux promised the first time around. It's funny, deep, emotional, epic, and, yes, wildly charming. We are already eager for a second playthrough, and we're betting a lot of you will have exactly the same reaction. [Dec 2008, p.68]
  2. It’s a game that builds gradually and then becomes irresistible, a beautiful lump of an RPG that continues beyond the close of its main campaign, and will have you thinking about it when you’re not at your 360. [Dec 2008, p.79]
  3. The combat handles well, it’s visually stunning, the voice acting and musical score are brilliant, and the epic storyline doesn’t end before it begins (like the first game did). But the most appealing thing about it is that it delivers everything that Molyneux has promised, plus it is oozing with wit and charm - something sorely lacking from many games nowadays. At the end of the day, Fable II is a triumph and a must buy.