8.6

1. [anonymous]
    Jan 20, 2010
    You must get the GOTY edition with the DLC to enjoy this game!!! I could see this game being an 8 or 9 without the DLC, but with the level cap raised, and other missions. this is my favorite game of all time!!
  2. Apr 27, 2011
    If you liked Oblivion you will fall in love with this masterpiece. Trying to follow your missing dad ,stuff gets more interesting and almost impossible to finish the game , simply because you just want to explore Washington completely. There are a lot of weapons but limited ammo , radiated water , hordes of creatures and mutants , rider making it hard and struggling to survive in thisIf you liked Oblivion you will fall in love with this masterpiece. Trying to follow your missing dad ,stuff gets more interesting and almost impossible to finish the game , simply because you just want to explore Washington completely. There are a lot of weapons but limited ammo , radiated water , hordes of creatures and mutants , rider making it hard and struggling to survive in this wicked dangerous world. Cool graphics , cool environment , desolated city etc. Great ambient sound effect. This is a totally pick for RPG fans Expand
  3. Oct 8, 2010
    Loved this game. preordered it and awaited its arrival. loved it straight away. i've replayed it more than oblivion, i find it easier to take off from where i left it than oblivion where i feel i have to start a new character. rather than fast travel i wish there was the option of some sort of vehicle to pilot but i guess the terrain in the game would not be able to support this. i likeLoved this game. preordered it and awaited its arrival. loved it straight away. i've replayed it more than oblivion, i find it easier to take off from where i left it than oblivion where i feel i have to start a new character. rather than fast travel i wish there was the option of some sort of vehicle to pilot but i guess the terrain in the game would not be able to support this. i like the fact you can spend hours walking. see things in the distance and travel towards them and the level of if i can say "realism" in that travel from A to B of the obstacles you might encounter in between. Expand
  4. Jun 1, 2011
    This game will draw you in and never let you go if you let it. It's post apocolyptic setting mixed with it's unique cast of characters, stellar soundtrack and interesting locations and missions and you have one of the best settings in video games. If you love post apocolyptic settings, 1950's American culture, salvaging and character customization, this is your game.
  5. MatthewM
    Oct 30, 2008
    This game is basically Fallout meets Oblivion. It's gorgeous, control is decent, upgrades are substantial, story is intriguing. It is definitely well in line with the Fallout of my youth. However, I always get bored of Elder Scrolls games and am already starting to feel that wanderlust.
  6. DanielT
    Jan 6, 2010
    Um... What the hell? I really, really don't see why anyone would call this game boring and the shooting element bland. If this is boring, then why play great shooters like Modern Warfare 2 at all? Anyways, to the point of my review score - 10/10 - One word: CHOICE. Not even Mass Effect (which hurts me to say) has the impact of decisions that you make; we have to wait for ME2. Playing Um... What the hell? I really, really don't see why anyone would call this game boring and the shooting element bland. If this is boring, then why play great shooters like Modern Warfare 2 at all? Anyways, to the point of my review score - 10/10 - One word: CHOICE. Not even Mass Effect (which hurts me to say) has the impact of decisions that you make; we have to wait for ME2. Playing through the first time on the Hero morality took me several weeks to beat, at which point I was greatly dissapointed by the ending...until Bethesda came out with Broken Steel, and renewed my love for this game. If you "hate" this game, don't play it and say bad things about and, in turn, have it defended by the actual gamers. -Number 3 on my list- Expand
  7. Jakkers
    Oct 31, 2008
    After a half dozen hours in this game, I can safely say it's straight up more fun than Oblivion or Mass Effect. So far the only thing bothering me is the touchy walking animations - just not as crisp as in a standard fps, and it works to somewhat take you out of the experience. Besides that, fantastic game so far. 9.5/10.
  8. Tom
    Oct 30, 2008
    As a fan of the original Fallout series I was worried but am relieved to say that this is an incredible game. It truly makes you feel like you are a scavenger in a post apocalyptic world.
  9. RowanF
    Apr 9, 2009
    I've never really been much of a fan of the RPG genre. However, when I played Fallout 3... It... To use a quote from the add that i'm occasionally glancing at whilst writing this: It put a smile on my face. In fact I would go so far to say that if... Yes, I'm going to say it: If you don't like Fallout 3 then you should be thrown into the bottomless pit of hellfire. The I've never really been much of a fan of the RPG genre. However, when I played Fallout 3... It... To use a quote from the add that i'm occasionally glancing at whilst writing this: It put a smile on my face. In fact I would go so far to say that if... Yes, I'm going to say it: If you don't like Fallout 3 then you should be thrown into the bottomless pit of hellfire. The graphics are stunning, the locations the biggest I've seen amongst games and the load times the shortest. The sheer ingenuity and imagination that has been put into the game is astounding. As opposed to games like far cry 2 where the mission variety ranged from 'go here and destroy this' to... well... 'go here and destroy this', fallout 3 has you recovering the declaration of independence from an android who thinks he's a president in between helping a village based on a half-collapsed freeway rid themselves of the local vampire cult. And, while you might think that in a game where everything is so incredibly imaginative and well thought out there might be many flaws and a very short playtime, the entire game feels solid and problem free, with the exception of a few harmless, and often hilarious, glitches. And in fact, I've colcked up ver 60 hours of gameplay so far and there's stil tonnes i ahvent done. In short, almost every single part of this game is perfect. It is, if you like, an ingenious angel sent from heaven in a time of four-hours-long dull monotonous games. Expand
  10. DaveW.
    Oct 24, 2008
    Masterpiece! Same format as Oblivion but very much its own game. A MUST play for any RPG fan. FPS mechanics are of a high quality as well as the visuals that are some of the best I have seen. Just a shame my 360 red lighted 9 hours in! Putting that aside Bethesda have done it again - buy it!!
  11. DuxaC.
    Oct 27, 2008
    This is the best game I have ever played.. Tutorial is genius, the world looks like id imagine a post apocalyptic world... the story is thrilling. Characters are awesome. There are some minor issues, like small pathing/animation problems.. but those can all be fixed with a small patch. And even if they never fix them, they are so minor that it doesn't matter. If you are going to buy This is the best game I have ever played.. Tutorial is genius, the world looks like id imagine a post apocalyptic world... the story is thrilling. Characters are awesome. There are some minor issues, like small pathing/animation problems.. but those can all be fixed with a small patch. And even if they never fix them, they are so minor that it doesn't matter. If you are going to buy only 1 game this holiday season.. then this is the game to get. Expand
  12. ChristianG.
    Oct 27, 2008
    This is no doubt one of the best games in history, and a front-runner for game of the year. It combines incredibly deep roleplaying with amazing combat, an astounding narrative, ridiculous amounts of freedom, an incredible atmosphere and obscene amounts of content into a cohesive whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. A game that transcends simple quality, it is simply a must play.
  13. Sep 24, 2011
    With Fallout 3 they took everything great about Oblivion and made it TEN TIMES BETTER. Not a surprise that this was awared so many GOTY rewards. Ignore the negative reviews of this MASTERPIECE, buy this game!
  14. Jan 8, 2015
    Though it's graphics are now long outdated this game is still one of my favorite games of all time. The ambiance is chilling and every aspect of this game blends together flawlessly. The story is a bit short but is is deep and supplemented with many fun side quests and cool characters. The music, enemies and creatures and npc characters are all uniquely fallout and will be hard wired intoThough it's graphics are now long outdated this game is still one of my favorite games of all time. The ambiance is chilling and every aspect of this game blends together flawlessly. The story is a bit short but is is deep and supplemented with many fun side quests and cool characters. The music, enemies and creatures and npc characters are all uniquely fallout and will be hard wired into my brain for the rest of my life. The only reason i'm not giving this gem a perfect score is because it's color shading is a bit off and it makes everything look kinda greenish and there are a few minor glitches. Do yourself a favor and go buy the GOTYE of this game now. Expand
  15. DanielS
    Oct 29, 2008
    So far this year this is the best game I have played. But there are negatives. First the good 1. Its very much like oblivion but with a way better combat system 2. Leveling system is more interesting than oblivion (u actually have to think about it as you dont want to waste your pts) 3. very immersive environment. The bad is that the after 40+ hrs i can see myself getting bored by the So far this year this is the best game I have played. But there are negatives. First the good 1. Its very much like oblivion but with a way better combat system 2. Leveling system is more interesting than oblivion (u actually have to think about it as you dont want to waste your pts) 3. very immersive environment. The bad is that the after 40+ hrs i can see myself getting bored by the post apocalpyse motiff. no variety compared to the fantasy world of oblivion. plus brown is 90% of the colors in the game. ive played about 5 hrs and just got to megaton and doing my first side mission there. all in all a great game. i recommend getting the guide. also what irks me is i picked the big guns skills but only use the small guns so far so that was a waste. also it takes a billion shots to kill anything when u are low level even headshots at point blank. Vats is not as good as was hyped to be also Expand
  16. Oct 29, 2012
    Fallout 3 masterfully creates a parallel universe for players to explore and lose dozens of hours in. No other game of this console generation comes close to offering the amount of content, freedom of choice, and level of immersion that can be found here.
  17. Sep 20, 2010
    I felt a sense of accomplishment. But then again I don't feel the need for a "100% completion score." It can be done without much hassle, though. Very fun game - I really liked Oblivion and I loved playing Fallout and Fallout 2 as a kid so that engine with that story was nice. Can't wait for New Vegas.
  18. Mar 18, 2011
    Fallout 3 is most definitely a must have for a new gamer to the XBOX 360. The basic storyline to the fallout is that you're born in Vault 101 (Can decide to male or female) where you live with your Dad (Your Mum tragically dies from child birth) and you see yourself grow up in the Vault this extends to when you're a one year old child and 18 your old teenage whens something terribleFallout 3 is most definitely a must have for a new gamer to the XBOX 360. The basic storyline to the fallout is that you're born in Vault 101 (Can decide to male or female) where you live with your Dad (Your Mum tragically dies from child birth) and you see yourself grow up in the Vault this extends to when you're a one year old child and 18 your old teenage whens something terrible happens and you need to sort things out.

I love the aspect in how you can do what ever you want in the wastelands (Basically the world of Fallout) without affecting the game storyline etc. You encounter many enemies along your journey this can extend to bugs like a Radroach and Super Mutants, the difficulty of these enemies vary on your levels and how you use your skill points effectively to create your own personal character ( S.P.E.C.I.A.L ; Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, Luck) e.g. If your character has a high Charisma he is more likely to buy items for a low price and sell items for a high price. You can decide individual perks for character as you level up.

My final analysis on Fallout is very good, as I love how it bases your actions on real life and the consequences you will get whether they are good or bad e.g. If you kill someone in the a town, the townspeople will consider you a threat and would like you removed. The reason why I didn't give this game a 10 it is because:

1. Being addicted to certain drugs can be very annoying if you are on a battlefield in search for medicine. (Can be cured by a Doctor: which I accidentally killed =) )
    2. A minuscule and minor fault with Fallout 3 not to seem feminine or anything but i would like to see what my character looks like from the front rather than the back because I'm partial to games were you dress up your character =)

Hope you enjoy my review and buy Fallout 3!
    =D
  19. Nov 25, 2010
    This is Oblivion in the Fallout universe, don't be fooled. That said, it's not a bad thing. As usual, this game is riddled with bugs and frustrations, but overall it's definitely worth it. I put so many hours into it that I know it's worth playing through them. The story is vast and engaging, and for a single player game, it'll give you a ton of bang for your buck.
  20. Feb 4, 2011
    Fallout 3 is one of the best experiences I have ever had with a video game, the graphics are AMAZING and still highly impressive even by todays standards, voice acting is top notch, and sound effects and music are outstanding, the quests are amazing, this game has stolen over 200 hours of my life and I still want more, my only complaints are that it has some bugs and glitches, but in theFallout 3 is one of the best experiences I have ever had with a video game, the graphics are AMAZING and still highly impressive even by todays standards, voice acting is top notch, and sound effects and music are outstanding, the quests are amazing, this game has stolen over 200 hours of my life and I still want more, my only complaints are that it has some bugs and glitches, but in the end they don't hinder the experience at all, I highly recommend this game to any and all gamers, it is an adventure that must be experienced by everyone. Expand
  21. Jan 11, 2011
    perfect. the perfect game really.

anyone who says it's too short, should go play pac man. the point of the game and it's ilk is exploration.

I still play.
  22. Feb 27, 2011
    Fallout 3 offers great value for your money and rivals one of the best games of the decade Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

PROS: Lives up to the standards that made the Fallout series great. Vast in game world to explore. Rich and fulfilling RPG elements that make the game unique. Captivating world that blends the history 1950s into scifi and the idea of the future. Game play make the game outstanding.

PROS: Bad animations that can ruin the immersion of the game. Unsatisfying main quest that can drag on. p.s. Don't come in to the game expecting a FPS game or you will disappointed.
  23. Mar 6, 2011
    Yes some of the character animation isn't great - human anyway - but switching to first person view helps.
    This games has offered me more hours of entertainment than any other, and that includes some of the big titles from 2010. The open ended exploration coupled with the enemy AI make this game so exciting to play: enemies will not simply wait for you - they will come after you. There is also great variety in the gameplay, so many ways to kill or be killed.
  24. Mar 21, 2011
    After the huge disappointment that was DA:II, I needed a new game to try my hand at. I love Oblivion but wanted something a bit different. For anyone new to the series, I will say the giant post-apocalyptic world can seem a bit daunting. You'll stumble over map locations more often than you'll have them mapped out for you by a helpful NPC but that's part of the allure to this game. You canAfter the huge disappointment that was DA:II, I needed a new game to try my hand at. I love Oblivion but wanted something a bit different. For anyone new to the series, I will say the giant post-apocalyptic world can seem a bit daunting. You'll stumble over map locations more often than you'll have them mapped out for you by a helpful NPC but that's part of the allure to this game. You can just wander, scavenging what you can to keep you in caps and ammo or head out to tackle one of the various side-quests or forge ahead in the main story. Keep your Pip-Boy tuned to GNR for some ambiance and your weapon loaded. Expand
  25. Apr 30, 2012
    Whilst Skyrim feels like a cheap, by the numbers cash-in designed for nothing more than raking in people's dollar from pre-orders, Fallout 3 (GOTY ed) is a superbly crafted game, and the effort + skill put into this top notch package is evident throughout. The main reason the game works so well is because the game's environment, and subsequent discoveries you make throughout exploring it,Whilst Skyrim feels like a cheap, by the numbers cash-in designed for nothing more than raking in people's dollar from pre-orders, Fallout 3 (GOTY ed) is a superbly crafted game, and the effort + skill put into this top notch package is evident throughout. The main reason the game works so well is because the game's environment, and subsequent discoveries you make throughout exploring it, really draw you in and submerse you with ease - the capital wasteland has so much character that you can't help but fall in love with it. Everything about the game fits and works well too, from the leveling system to the VATS combat system which, although it may take a little time to get used to, never gets old. The atmospheric terminator-esq music helps draw you in too, and a lot of the quests actually require you to keep pushing on throughout the wasteland instead of being simple fetch quests (although there are a few of those in there) - which again enhances that desire to explore further. The RPG aspect does still lack - again it's a case of there not being that much choice available (although there is still SOME choice available, more than Skyrim). But the game is no weaker for it, and a game which is all about exploration in a ruined wasteland manages to nail that right on the nose. It can be a bit buggy at times, and it can also be a tad repetitive, but overall it just works and it works superbly. Definitely one to put at the top of your shopping list. Expand
  26. Sep 16, 2011
    have never been a huge fan of the rpg genre but fallout 3 changes the way I look at rpgs this is one of the most brilliant, deep, enthralling and in depth game I have ever played. First off this game's areas just really add to the Post Apocalypse feel of the game the broken roads and destroyed buildings in the city really show how much effect the war had on the Capital Wasteland all thishave never been a huge fan of the rpg genre but fallout 3 changes the way I look at rpgs this is one of the most brilliant, deep, enthralling and in depth game I have ever played. First off this game's areas just really add to the Post Apocalypse feel of the game the broken roads and destroyed buildings in the city really show how much effect the war had on the Capital Wasteland all this gives the game a very realistic post of Apocalypse feel. The game also gives the player alot of freedom once the player progresses through first few main quests the player can do whatever he/she wants let that be roam around the capital wasteland killing people and monsters, going around discovering locations, finding sidequests, trying to find and buy weapons and or just continue on with the main quest. The game also gives the player a choice of what way the player wants to play there are 3 skills the player can choose in the start portion of the game which will allow him/her to choose his 3 top skills so the player can actually go ahead and base his combat skills on Melee Fighting, Shooting or the player can base his combat skills on the good old fashion way by his fists ofcourse by using fist gaunlets which the player can find at various locations throughtout the game. The game also has alot of perks giving the player more special abilities. On top of that there are other skills like Speech and Barter which can allow the player to avoid doing some tasks in particular quests or forcing the NPCs to pay them a larger sum for their services. There are also skills like Lockpick and Science that will allow the players lockpick locks and hack computers respectively both of these skills are necessary for some sidequests. Even though the game doesn't have that many sidequests they are also reasonably long and rewarding and all the sidequests vary in alot of different ways For example in one you will be going through the subway to kill some Fire Ants, in another one you will be going to various different places to gather research for a book someone is planning to write and in another quest you will be given a mercenary or assassin's contract to kill or assassinate people. However you can solve these quests in a number of different ways as well like for example you can force the book author to stop thinking about writing a book or you can give her false researh information, and in the mercenary contract quest you can lie to the person who hired you for killing about killing the people who were told to kill when you actually did not kill them, and turn your back on the person who gave you the contract in the first place and kill him instead. The game also has alot of enemy variety there are animals like wild dogs, bears and mole rats, monsters like the super mutants, Feral Ghouls and the Death Claws and thugs like the Raiders and there are tons of places which you can explore and some of those places have a hidden special weapon, item or armor which the player would love to get his hands on the enemy A.I leveling up scale has also been done well in this game. There is also alot of weapon variety in this game. The player can go around killing people in VATS in which the player chooses which parts of the body of the enemy to hit and each hit consumes AP points which refills after the player uses VATS that is definitely the best part about the game's combat however real time gun combat can be frustrating because of the aiming and shooting does not seem that well polished however the real time combat works fine when Melee or Unarmed weapons are being used. The game's story is good and serviceable but it could have been so much better the story started out so well and sucked me in the game than it just lost its momentum and in the end it just ended up being a war between the BoS and the Enclave over the Washington DC and the ending was really disappointing to me. The games soundtrack is a great kickback to the 1930s and 1940s I would have ever listened to those Gems if it wasn't for this game as far the Voice acting goes it is clear it was done by a small cast but they still did a good job just don't expect stellar voice acting you see in games like GTA, Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect. The graphics of the game are not up to today's standards but that is still understandable considering how huge this game is. The game also has some bugs and glitches but I have not had that many crashes or any corrupt files there were bugs like slow down, texture and frame-rate pop ins from time to time and sometimes characters just disappeared or floated in thin air but that is particularly the fault of the old and dated Oblivion engine Bethesda used in this game. In the end despite its minor drawbacks Fallout 3 is great Sci-Fi post apocalypse game just waiting to reveal its dark secrets and sucking you in its world Fallout 3 is just amazing. 9.5/10. Expand
  27. Oct 25, 2011
    An absolute essential to any gamers repertoire. If you don't have Fallout 3, then you need to go and get it ASAP. You can get the GOTY edition now for 25$ brand new. That is a huge deal. For a game that offers hundreds of hours of entertainment, that is a steal.

Go and buy Fallout 3 right now, you will not regret it.
  28. Dec 8, 2013
    This is the best RPG I have played. It beats oblivion and skyrim to me. It has a meaningful story with great progression and skills. It is to good to ignore.
  29. Mar 19, 2012
    Masterpiece of modern gaming. Bethesda crafted a unique game which remains an excellent homage to the original Fallout series. Almost 4 years after its release and I can still pick it up and enjoy it again and again. It would not surprise me if I had 300+ hours of play time into it. It's just that good.
  30. Apr 8, 2012
    i love this game. it has so much to offer. the free roaming is awesome. it may start off a bit difficult but eventually all of that will balance out. its a great game. i know i'm in the minority, but i enjoy the fallout series even more than the elder scrolls series. i don't know what it is but i think that this game just offers something that clicked more with me than skyrim or oblivion.
  31. Jul 11, 2012
    I bought the GOTY edition,and must say that this is the only RPG I have gotten all of the DLC for and played through it all. I'm actually reconsidering buying the GOTY edition for my PS3 as well just to play it all over again. Absolutely great RPG by Bethesda.
  32. Nov 14, 2012
    One of, if not the best game for the current generation. While having not played anything like this before this was a completely fresh idea to take the fallout series into the First Person RPG. The main story of the game is not great but it is just a drop in the ocean compared to the size and scale of the rest of the game. I could easily spent hours upon hours just exploring and comingOne of, if not the best game for the current generation. While having not played anything like this before this was a completely fresh idea to take the fallout series into the First Person RPG. The main story of the game is not great but it is just a drop in the ocean compared to the size and scale of the rest of the game. I could easily spent hours upon hours just exploring and coming across different things across the wasteland and have managed to have over 200 hours played across different save files. Every gamer should have played this game and at its current price you would be silly not to at least give this a try Expand
  33. Mar 5, 2013
    Fallout 3 is a game that is all about the atmosphere. The atmosphere created by Bethesda Studios in Fallout is, in my opinion, one of the most well made atmospheres in a game. This atmosphere is created and sustained through the vintage 1950's Cold War culture and a futuristic post-apocalyptic wasteland that can keep the player entertained and exploring for hours on end. With a solid gameFallout 3 is a game that is all about the atmosphere. The atmosphere created by Bethesda Studios in Fallout is, in my opinion, one of the most well made atmospheres in a game. This atmosphere is created and sustained through the vintage 1950's Cold War culture and a futuristic post-apocalyptic wasteland that can keep the player entertained and exploring for hours on end. With a solid game play system, including the V.A.T.S. stop time combat, Fallout 3 sets out to guide the player on an incredible quest of epic proportions, and succeeds brilliantly at doing so. Expand
  34. Jun 23, 2013
    Fallout 3 is to this day the best game I have ever played. I went into it knowing surprisingly little about it and immediately fell in love with it. The way the combat is designed is the best possible way that shooting could be integrated into an RPG. The fact that the combat in the game is not like any conventional shooters does wonders for the game's actual experience, and the inclusionFallout 3 is to this day the best game I have ever played. I went into it knowing surprisingly little about it and immediately fell in love with it. The way the combat is designed is the best possible way that shooting could be integrated into an RPG. The fact that the combat in the game is not like any conventional shooters does wonders for the game's actual experience, and the inclusion of VATS takes the combat from plain shooter to something so much more unique and special (not to mention fun). The RPG elements of the game are also some of the best I've ever played. The interaction between characters is interesting and engaging, and the way that people react to your character based on the impressions they have made from you is extremely impressive, especially since they retain their behavior long after your first encounter with them. Though the character models are certainly something that could be improved upon, the voice acting is so stellar it more than makes up for it. The voice acting is certainly the best of its time for this game. There has also never been a game that has encouraged exploration more than Fallout 3 in my opinion. Other games like Oblivion never really got me interested in the world enough to want to wander aimlessly for hours in search of something new. There is so much to see in the game if you take the time to see it, and so many valuable items to find, like alien pistols or specially designed sniper rifles. There is also the constant and engaging prospect of finding a wayward scavenger out in the wastes and getting the thrill of stealing from him or just killing him for his goods (if you know how to have fun, that is), as well as getting attacked by any number of dangerous foes from an Enclave ambush to a wandering Deathclaw. And from the exploration that you have, you can find any number of marked and unmarked quests like finding a Stradivarius violin for an old woman, stumbling across an "oasis of green in a depressing sea of brown" and talking to a mutated tree-man, and even things so small as getting a proposition to help a shady ghoul make ultra-potent narcotics. Everything a person could imagine could be found in Fallout 3 if you know where to look. This brings a ridiculous amount of playability to the game; I am still finding new things on my very first playthrough that I maxed out years ago. I must have logged over 200 hours in Fallout 3 by now and I am still thrilled to play it. The core storyline in the game is more engaging and interesting than most other games as well. The emotion that the story brings is so great, and the choices that the player has to make (in all quests, not just story quests) weigh so heavily that it is sometimes hard to decide what to do. The story and all of the stories hidden in the game are at the very least enthralling. Though it may be a cliche, Fallout 3 is more than a game; it is an experience. If any game deserves a 10/10, it's this one. Expand
  35. Nov 29, 2013
    Simply, My favorite game of all time!! I got the GOTY edition and spent around 200 hours until I unlocked every achievement...

With its massive world full of quests, interesting places, great NPCs this game just makes you feel you are actually in the wasteland fighting for survival. I loved when you were just wandering and there were a lot of random events that kept you busy... And

I loved when you were just wandering and there were a lot of random events that kept you busy... And there's Dogmeat one of the best companions you can have in a video game...

Sure the game has a lot of glitches and I bet they are difficult to control with the mass world Bethesda created (just one advice, save often... very often), but the game manages to engage you with the details, funny level perks and game mechanics (V.A.T.S is one of the best inventions in gaming history...
  36. Mar 21, 2014
    Im not going to write a huge review here as I think most people will have already played this by now but on the off chance that someone somewhere is thinking about weather to buy this or not and is going through others reviews to make a decision then here is my take on Fallout 3...

The single greatest game ever to come out on the Xbox 360. I have 36 years old and have been gaming

The single greatest game ever to come out on the Xbox 360.

I have 36 years old and have been gaming since the 80s so while i may be old, I can say i have enough experience to know my games :) and this is in my top 5 of all time games.

Thats really all i can say! Go, buy and enjoy!
  37. Jan 16, 2013
    Fallout 3
    Fallout 3
    Fallout 3 has to be one of the best games out to this date for the Xbox but, there are other games that are good, but this one has to be one of the best. The game was made by Bethesda Game Studios it is the third game out that is a Fallout game and this one has to be the best of the three. There is a new one out that is called Fallout new Vegas this is a good game but not as long as the older one Fallout 3. In the story, you play as a baby to start with and the world and had a war and in the war, an atomic bomb was used. A war so big that most people live in Vault underground you live in this vault with your dad and you see his life in the Vault for a bit of his life. Then your dad has gone missing he has left the Vault and is not around. You wake up and you are trying to find your dad, you get told by a friend that your dad has left the vault and you need to find him you try to leave the Vault the leader of the vault will not let you so you end up fighting your way out of the vault you leave all your friends and start trying to find your dad as you leave the vault you see the world as a waste land form the war. At this point, you can change the story and there are many things you can do you change the story from this point. As you walk around the wasteland, you meet people and you fight people who will try to kill you and there are monsters that will try to kill you as well but the idea of the game is to live and not die. And some point in the game depending on how you did the story you will find your dad who is trying to make you drink the water from a lake you help your dad do this but again you don
  38. Apr 27, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = This game has frozen on me a total of 36 times, but you know what?? Despite all of it's issues it still manages to be one of the best games ever made!! Excellent atmosphere, amazing design.
  39. maxs
    Oct 11, 2009
    Note to all who gave it bad ratings- Some people just don't like role playing games, and that doesn't mean that people should rate it badly just because you dont like rpgs in the first place. To the person who said that the size of the game overwhelmes you, that is just your problem because last time I checked, role playing games are suposed to be huge, otherwise there is not Note to all who gave it bad ratings- Some people just don't like role playing games, and that doesn't mean that people should rate it badly just because you dont like rpgs in the first place. To the person who said that the size of the game overwhelmes you, that is just your problem because last time I checked, role playing games are suposed to be huge, otherwise there is not much to do. To the person who said that this game just goes by the system, ("swing till you kill"), that is the exact same thing as a fps, which is probably all you play, based on the rating you gave this game. ( don't worry, I love cod 4). My point from all of this is dont need to trash a game's user rating, which a lot of people use to decide whether to buy a game, just because you are not a role playing game person. I don't care that you don't like rpg's ( I am a big fps fan and rpg fan), just dont trash a games score over it. ( a zero, seriously!) Expand
  40. Sep 9, 2010
    A wonderfully immersive game. If you're looking for an escape from reality for a good month or so pick this game up. Sometimes while playing I became sidetracked from where I intended to go and ended up exploring a random building for hours without realizing how much time went by. The introduction of the VATS allows the player to get much more use and variation from the many differentA wonderfully immersive game. If you're looking for an escape from reality for a good month or so pick this game up. Sometimes while playing I became sidetracked from where I intended to go and ended up exploring a random building for hours without realizing how much time went by. The introduction of the VATS allows the player to get much more use and variation from the many different weapons in the game, increasing the depth of the story and the fallout world. The character development will be different for those (like myself) who played the game after all the DLC came out. I was able to level up my character evenly although it is possible to level up first as a stealthy sniper or a brutal close range melee fighter (to name just two) before leveling other attributes. Much like life, everything in this game decays over time. You will always have to fix your equipment and sometimes your companions will die and not come back. My advice is to just sit back and let the game take you where it wants to go. Expand
  41. Nov 5, 2010
    This game is amazing. The world is huge and there is so much to do. I felt like the world was really alive and truly felt like I was in a post-apocalyptic DC. The graphics are great and the music is great. There are some very memorable characters found in Fallout world and overall the story is very good. And the gameplay is great! It is so much fun to explore the wasteland. Do notThis game is amazing. The world is huge and there is so much to do. I felt like the world was really alive and truly felt like I was in a post-apocalyptic DC. The graphics are great and the music is great. There are some very memorable characters found in Fallout world and overall the story is very good. And the gameplay is great! It is so much fun to explore the wasteland. Do not miss this game! Expand
  42. Apr 11, 2011
    A truly great game. Fallout 3 pushed the limits of the sandboxer in the right direction, letting you choose your story. For 2008, this game has excellent graphics, though the Gamebryo engine shows it's age in some places, such as at long draw distance (although, with the size of this game, it's perfectly ignorable). One massive problem I had with the game was the repetitive graphics. ThereA truly great game. Fallout 3 pushed the limits of the sandboxer in the right direction, letting you choose your story. For 2008, this game has excellent graphics, though the Gamebryo engine shows it's age in some places, such as at long draw distance (although, with the size of this game, it's perfectly ignorable). One massive problem I had with the game was the repetitive graphics. There are loads of individual areas, but when you see the same gray corridor 50 times, you get lost, and it gets samey. And the biggest fault this game has, is mapping. You are told to go from point A to point B, in a straight line. There is a wall. You go around. More walls. Your supposed to be in a Metro station, going through tunnels that are not mapped on the world map at this point. I've seen people give up on the game over this frustrating flaw, but a quick google or some persistence will get you there. But, Fallout's individuality is unique, and if you can get past the initial difficult start, it offers a huge, immersive gameplay experience. Oh, and for the current price, it's worth grabbing the GOTY edition - you get a lot of new features and a fair bit of extra, and fresh, gameplay hours. (And on a cheeky note, New Vegas is basically this game. In New Vegas. And for my money, this adventure is by far the better of the two) Expand
  43. Oct 23, 2011
    Fallout 3 is an amazing game, with so many choices to make, quests and extra DLC to play and a variety of weapons, companions and essentials to choose from. An easy 10/10.
  44. JamalA.
    Oct 10, 2008
    Probably deserves a 9.6 in reality. Played the "specially aquired" version and love it so much I'm definitely going to support Bethesda by buying it on the 28th. The main quest storyline is AMAZING and side quests are plentiful and easily found. My main petpeeve with the game is when you try to play it like a fps. I don't see the point of having a scope if when you take your Probably deserves a 9.6 in reality. Played the "specially aquired" version and love it so much I'm definitely going to support Bethesda by buying it on the 28th. The main quest storyline is AMAZING and side quests are plentiful and easily found. My main petpeeve with the game is when you try to play it like a fps. I don't see the point of having a scope if when you take your time lining up a headshot and the rpg-ish "dice roll" won't count it. Overall, this is a must buy and an obvious game of the year contender. Expand
  45. NamelessUser
    Feb 5, 2009
    What I like about Fallout 3, is the crude beauty of the wasteland. Everything looks so good, that it's hard to believe that it's made with the same engine as Oblivion. (Expect when using melee.) But nothing stays fresh forever, especially not games. So after the first time I completed the game, the only thing that forced me to continue, was Achievements.
  46. Sep 22, 2010
    Highly entertaining and immersive. Though it is just like Oblivion in that you need to be able to get immersed into a game to truly enjoy all that Fallout has to offer. My only issues are the bugs, occasional lag, and the excessive amount of subways... oh and Megaton is the only cool city.
  47. Oct 16, 2010
    This game was amazing. There is just so many things to do in Fallout 3. I have personally already played this game, and all the DLC:s through many times, and I still love them.Fallout 3 may actually be my favorite game of all time.If you own an Xbox 360,PS3 or a good PC,you must buy this game.
  48. Feb 15, 2011
    Fallout 3 is by far one of my favorite games ever, only surpassed by The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The main thing that I took away from the game is the amount of work that went into the art of it - the settings, weapons, costumes, interface, characters, etc. It has a great story and will keep you plenty busy. The only downfall is that it something has some bugs but it more thanFallout 3 is by far one of my favorite games ever, only surpassed by The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The main thing that I took away from the game is the amount of work that went into the art of it - the settings, weapons, costumes, interface, characters, etc. It has a great story and will keep you plenty busy. The only downfall is that it something has some bugs but it more than makes up for it. Expand
  49. Dec 27, 2012
    This game confused me at first, and didn't seem like much. I went thru the early stage then the world was opened up to me, and i just didn't "get it". After coming back and trying it again with guidance from a wiki, I knew where to go, and what to do, and got in to a grove. Choices matter, there's ton of stuff to explore, but you don't need to find everything or do every mission if youThis game confused me at first, and didn't seem like much. I went thru the early stage then the world was opened up to me, and i just didn't "get it". After coming back and trying it again with guidance from a wiki, I knew where to go, and what to do, and got in to a grove. Choices matter, there's ton of stuff to explore, but you don't need to find everything or do every mission if you don't want to. The RPG elements such as growing skills and building/repairing weapons is great for tailoring your gameplay to fit your preference, and the stories and side-quests are actually fun and interesting! The shooting and fighting isn't as tight as say Borderlands, but it holds its own, and the auto-targeting system (again, optional) helps get you out of any annoying jams where you can't catch an enemy in your aim (we're not all Call of Duty, combat ready with the thumbsticks, after all). It's also actually handy to be able to switch between first and third person whenever you wish as well. Try the GOTY version. Expand
  50. Aug 6, 2012
    2008 game of the year and did it diserve it hell yes the game is slower than fallout new vegas thats why the newer fnv newcomers dont like it i played the first fallouts and this one was a welcome revival to the series
  51. Mar 23, 2013
    This is easily one of the best RPGs you'll ever play in your life. It plays well on Xbox and it even has amazing DLC. The GOTY edition is a must buy for any gamer
  52. Aug 15, 2013
    Best game ever. Well perhaps shared top spot with Fallout New Vegas. Great character development, massive amount of great content, post apocalyptic setup and various ways to play. What else can you hope from a game?
  53. Aug 28, 2013
    Some days ago, my 7 years son asked me what was the better game I have ever played. I spent half an hour after that trying to explain what nuclear holocaust means.
  54. Jun 23, 2014
    I have been playing indies and old school games for a while and decided to go back to Fallout 3.....I finally realize how great this game is. Music, atmosphere, weapons, armour, NPCs....a blend of perfection.
  55. MarkK
    Nov 4, 2008
    While this is a game definately NOT for the casual gamer, or even your average FPS fan, for those who seek a little more substance in their gaming diet, this is simply phenomenal. I was a big fan of the original games back in the day, and I'm glad to say this is a very worthy (and quite probably better) successor. The level of immersion is second to none as you really have a feeling While this is a game definately NOT for the casual gamer, or even your average FPS fan, for those who seek a little more substance in their gaming diet, this is simply phenomenal. I was a big fan of the original games back in the day, and I'm glad to say this is a very worthy (and quite probably better) successor. The level of immersion is second to none as you really have a feeling that absolutely everything you do has an effect of some kind on the excellently-designed post-apocalyptic wasteland that your dude/dudette calls home. Genuinely, my only wish is that there was more of it. The interface does exactly what I presume Bethesda intended it to, keep the feel of the originals while adding the functionality of a next-gen game. The VATS system is solid, and a brilliantly-implemented compromise between the older-games fight mechanics and Oblivion's FPS-like combat. Essentially, what Bethesda have done is achieve the impossible; keep the fans of the original Fallout happy, while once again revolutionising the genre in a similar way to Mass Effect this time last year. Purely awesome. Expand
  56. matthurd
    Nov 8, 2008
    how does gears 2 have a 93 just like this? this is a much better game and it has way more 100 ratings then gears i think they need to fix the rating system here

either way this game was fantastic and you would be flat out unacceptable to he gaming community to pass up on this master piece
  57. AaronB.
    Oct 30, 2008
    I can't believe this is only an 8.5 for user votes. Must be some haters bringing the average down. I think it deserves at least a 9. It's not perfect - what game is? - but I'll rate it a 10 to compensate for the haters.
  58. DominicL
    Jan 6, 2009
    Best game ever. I haven't played any other previous Fallout games. But i have to say this is 1 of the best games I have ever played. Perfect 10 i'd say. It's realistic, the graphics are great, different variety of weapons and the list goes on. This game was worth every single cent of my money and i wouldn't have it any other way. A true masterpiece.
  59. EddieP
    Jul 7, 2009
    The last time I spent anywhere near to the amount of time I've spent playing Fallout 3 was when I first played Legend of Zelda OoT. The games are not comparable in anyway except in their level of greatness and absorption. This is the best X-Box 360 game I have ever played.
  60. SamR
    Jul 7, 2009
    In reality, the game comes close to ten. I'd give it a 9.7 at least. The story is inventive, all parts of it. The side quests are readily available, everything from Rigging and election in a small four bedroom republic to wiping an entire town off the map with a massive nuclear explosion. The Karma system, while a little basic, still applies a few interesting dialog options, as well In reality, the game comes close to ten. I'd give it a 9.7 at least. The story is inventive, all parts of it. The side quests are readily available, everything from Rigging and election in a small four bedroom republic to wiping an entire town off the map with a massive nuclear explosion. The Karma system, while a little basic, still applies a few interesting dialog options, as well as a few other options. Even if you get bored out of your skull, or manage to run through the twelve or so hours it takes you to get through the story, there's still a plethora of things to do. Feel like enslaving someone? or maybe you want to help rebuild the crumbling source of freedom in America? Or maybe revisit an old friend that you havent' seen. There's any number of things that can be accomplished. In all truth, anyone that criticizes the game is either trying to play it like a shooter, which it clearly is not, or they're carrying some grudge against Oblivion or Bethesda for some inclined reason. The bottom line is, if you've even remotely stepped near Oblivion, morrowind, or anything of the sort in the past ten years and found them remotely interesting, you'll like Fallout 3. and for one, I applaud Bethesda for preserving the post war culture of fallout, and it's familiar humor and style. Expand
  61. AndrewD
    Jul 8, 2009
    One of the best games ever, hands down. The world is huge, the characters are all different and you can interact with most of them. I loved the VATS thing because it's a happy medium between turn-based fighting and FPS shooting. The main quest is nice and long, but you probably won't notice because you'll be too busy exploring the Capital Wasteland. Bottom line, buy it.
  62. JasonZimmerman
    Aug 30, 2009
    This is an epic game that plays well on moral decisions and the characters within it. The sounds (especially the old school songs), game play, side objectives, and visuals are excellent. On top of all that, the game is long. You get so much for your money in this game.
  63. AshtonJ
    Aug 8, 2009
    This game does what it works for so well when I left the Vault after the training quests I was filled with a sense of dread and hopelessness. All alone in a bleak wasteland devoid of colors not beige or taupe. Once I started finding some quests the sense of hopelessness left and I had a purpose which brought everything into focus and lead me on the crooked path to explore and beat the This game does what it works for so well when I left the Vault after the training quests I was filled with a sense of dread and hopelessness. All alone in a bleak wasteland devoid of colors not beige or taupe. Once I started finding some quests the sense of hopelessness left and I had a purpose which brought everything into focus and lead me on the crooked path to explore and beat the game. One thing about this game is even after beating it there is still so much to see. With all the unmarked side-quests and vast amount of areas you could wander for hours just exploring anything and everything, the game isn't well played if you don't experience these optional forays. I just maxed out the GS for the game and all add-ons and couldn't be happier with the game I played. Expand
  64. TroelsS.
    Jan 28, 2010
    Yes, it's almost a complete ripoff of the Elder Scrolls series. However, there are many elements in Fallout 3 that are more likely to please any gamer: FPS, rpg, adventure, sneak. Oblivion had many of the same things, though not executing it very well compared to Fallout 3 - especially the action in Oblivion wasn't very intriguing. Some may say the environment is a bit sterile Yes, it's almost a complete ripoff of the Elder Scrolls series. However, there are many elements in Fallout 3 that are more likely to please any gamer: FPS, rpg, adventure, sneak. Oblivion had many of the same things, though not executing it very well compared to Fallout 3 - especially the action in Oblivion wasn't very intriguing. Some may say the environment is a bit sterile in Fallout - a common term is "beatiful destruction" (like Gears of War). It's simple but done incredibly well. And what goes for the dungeons/buildings compared to Oblivion, there are many nuances and it doesn't seem very repetitive. Maybe it's just a sort of new, unofficial installment in the Elder Scrolls series (though fallout is a series on it's own), but since when has that been a bad thing? Alost every part of the game is an improvement over Oblivion. Perfect in every way. Probably the greatest game for this generation of consoles. Expand
  65. JohnHartman
    Nov 1, 2008
    First of all, can anyone else see that Mike R is taking the piss? He's made 2 comments already, and both of them are completely (And deliberately) inane.

As for fallout 3, it ranks in the best 3 games I've ever played. 1. Half life 2 (Including episodes) 2. Bioshock 3. Fallout 3. The graphics weren't fantastic, but the environmental design was. This is everything

As for fallout 3, it ranks in the best 3 games I've ever played.

1. Half life 2 (Including episodes)
    2. Bioshock
    3. Fallout 3.

The graphics weren't fantastic, but the environmental design was. This is everything that oblivion has but more, such as VATS, Guns, and the fallout setting.
  66. BradBegey
    Nov 10, 2008
    This game is a one in a million, the game offers many choices in karma (KOTOR?) the game has a different feel than oblivion but has many of the same querks that I love. Sadly the storyline does end and you can't keep playing? If they can patch this my score would be a 10 for sure.
  67. MatthewC.
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fantastic game, sure, it's got faults. So does everything. What I
  68. KyleG.
    Nov 3, 2008
    I am about 40 hours in and at this point I can safely say that in my book, this is definitely game of the year. While it does share some of Oblivion's style and perspective, Fallout 3 is unquestionably it's own game. The combat is great fun with it's mix of V.A.T.S. and real time first person shooting making dealing with groups of enemies feel fresh and unpredictable. The I am about 40 hours in and at this point I can safely say that in my book, this is definitely game of the year. While it does share some of Oblivion's style and perspective, Fallout 3 is unquestionably it's own game. The combat is great fun with it's mix of V.A.T.S. and real time first person shooting making dealing with groups of enemies feel fresh and unpredictable. The perk system really adds a new and exciting twist to the RPG side of things. The main story really starts to blossom around the 20-25 hour mark to create a fantastic sense of purpose for your character. Graphically, the game excels in creating an atmosphere that is at once technically beautiful, completely absorbing and borderline depressing. After playing for extended amounts of time, I suggest treating yourself to an ice cream cone to help alleviate the feeling of bleakness this environment can bestow upon you. My only gripe with the game is that money (bottle caps) seems to be rather difficult to come by. Perhaps I'll play as a bad guy on my second play through to see if things are easier in that department. Absolutely brilliant game though. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as i have. Expand
  69. JamesD.
    Nov 3, 2008
    Fallout 3 is Exactly what I, a long time Fallout veteran, have been hoping for and more! In order to explain just how amazing this game is, I will tell you this. My girlfriend, who normally just plays casual games on the Wii, played this game just to see how it was and was amazed by it. She has been stuck on the game for three days now, I kid you not. I think that the game is downright Fallout 3 is Exactly what I, a long time Fallout veteran, have been hoping for and more! In order to explain just how amazing this game is, I will tell you this. My girlfriend, who normally just plays casual games on the Wii, played this game just to see how it was and was amazed by it. She has been stuck on the game for three days now, I kid you not. I think that the game is downright the most sprawling, addictive video game of the year, bar none. Others might not dig the VATS targeting system, the slow-mo kill cams, the graphics, or the trekking across the D.C. wasteland, but I believe that these features make the game so unique and refreshing that I couldn't imagine the game without thinking about them. If you thought Oblivion was addictive or you are remotely interested in an adventurous apocalyptic action extravaganza, you will absolutely love this game. The game is chock full of hilarious dialogue and great little comic touches to the an otherwise shockingly ravaged nuclear land. There are many minor flaws and issues with this sprawling open-world action-shooter-RPG, but come on, what game is perfect? If you came to negatively critique the game, then chances are that you never gave it a chance in the first place. Give the game your full attention, open up your imagination, turn up the Ink Spots on Galaxy News Radio, and try not to be sucked into an awe-inspiring atmospheric adventure into a the Washington D.C. that you thought you knew so well! I am simply blown away by the sheer scope of the game and the teeny tiniest little details in the game that make it so memorable. Whether it be the G.O.A.T. test or a rag-tag ramshackle city's "colorful" citizens, Fallout 3 is sure to surprise you with its amazing presentation, realism, its thought-provokingly insightful situations, and immersion factor. If you own a game console or PC that will play this game, then you have no excuse to not buy this amazing game. Expand
  70. AndyS.
    Nov 3, 2008
    Take the best Deus Ex and mix in a good serving of S.T.A.L.K.E.R and you have Fallout 3. This is without a doubt the PC game of the year, if not for 360 and PS3 as well. I'm only L8 and i already want to play it again, and again, and some more after that.
  71. TomP.
    Nov 3, 2008
    A very solid representation of the fallout universe, as a big fallout fan I've been cautious as to how the game would turn out, but bethesda have done a great job. My only problem is with the lack of some of the series previous humour and with hardly any reference to fallout 2 let alone fallout 1. That said it's a solid 9/10 for me.
  72. ZacS.
    Nov 5, 2008
    Simply the most immersing and compelling game in history, that is, if you have half a brain. I found Mass Effect's dialog trees tedious and mind-numbing... Fallout 3 introduces a quest system that makes Fable II look like the smallest sandbox on the playground. Bottom line: games like this are triumphs of balance between such a multitude of advanced gaming concepts that a few hiccups Simply the most immersing and compelling game in history, that is, if you have half a brain. I found Mass Effect's dialog trees tedious and mind-numbing... Fallout 3 introduces a quest system that makes Fable II look like the smallest sandbox on the playground. Bottom line: games like this are triumphs of balance between such a multitude of advanced gaming concepts that a few hiccups must be expected. Fallout 3 is nearly flawless in its hybridization of sandbox, RPG, dialog-based games , first person shooter, strategic targeting, etc. etc.... even the minigames are amazing. This is a new day in gaming and this is the maverick title to raise the bar beyond a level I think will be reached until we enter the 'next generation' of gaming... or Fallout 4. Expand
  73. JasonS
    Nov 6, 2008
    This game is sheer amazing. I recommend it to anyone with a console who can play it. It offers a variety of different ways in which to play it, whether it be real time shooting for fps fans, or Vats for more role play fans, and a mass map for the adventerous type (which I would hope is all of us). The ONLY ways in which it is like Oblivion is its sheer map scale, immersive gameplay and This game is sheer amazing. I recommend it to anyone with a console who can play it. It offers a variety of different ways in which to play it, whether it be real time shooting for fps fans, or Vats for more role play fans, and a mass map for the adventerous type (which I would hope is all of us). The ONLY ways in which it is like Oblivion is its sheer map scale, immersive gameplay and plot. And the physics engines are some what similar. The gameplay and fighting systems are NOT at all alike, and the role play elements of Fallout are far greater than that of Oblivions... and more importantly level scaling is not so imposing in fallout (which somewhat ruined Oblivion (only a ltitle) for me). It's also somewhat more fast paced, so you won't feel the burden of fighting like you did in Oblivion (constant hack), it's more explosive and exciting. Buy buy buy!!! Expand
  74. JosephS.
    Oct 24, 2008
    (1) We know that Fallout 1&2 were SICK, and (2) We know that Bethesda creates works of art (Oblivion) for a living. If this game isn't a 9 or 10, it's because the subtleties imbedded within go unnoticed by a generation of gamers who thought 'Mario Sunshine' was a top-notch title. Our standards must be set higher - I believe Bethesda and Fallout 3 will help us do that.
  75. CalebH.
    Dec 5, 2008
    The very first step you take out of Vault 101 is one of the greatest moments in video gmae history. As your eyes adjust to the sunlight which you've never seen before, you begin to realize that what's around you is nothing you've ever seen before...nothing. Fallout 3 is an absolutely stellar achievement to open-world gaming, and to video games in general. No game before it The very first step you take out of Vault 101 is one of the greatest moments in video gmae history. As your eyes adjust to the sunlight which you've never seen before, you begin to realize that what's around you is nothing you've ever seen before...nothing. Fallout 3 is an absolutely stellar achievement to open-world gaming, and to video games in general. No game before it has created such a strong sense of survival like Fallout 3 does; Every bullet shot, every stimpak injected, every beer drank has weight to it and you can feel it. From the clothing you wear, to the people you meet, to the raiders who try to kill you, every little bit is well-thought out and works like a charm. Voice acting is top-notch and every single city in the Capital Wasteland is unique. That isn't to say that this game is "flawless". The little flaws that are their do not detract from the game in any way, but they are still there and still a problem. The maps you use are pretty much a waste of time. They are hard to read and give you no clear destination. The compass on your HUD is basically all you need. Character models are a bit too similar and their movements are strangely robotic, and this is due to preset animations. The characters do act on their own and are always doing something different, but not without looking like a programmer told them to do it. This is made up for by the increidible voice-acting, but on that note, their are not enough of them! Multiple characters have the same voice as another character. This problem was also present in the latest Oblivion and it doesn't seem like Bethsada cares to fix it. It also would be really cool if we could make a motorcycle and drive it, considering that you can actually pick up all the poarts to a motorcycle. That's all I have to say about its problems. With several hundred missions and over 50+ hours of gameplay, Fallout 3 almost pays for itself. It draws a fine line between action gameplay and RPG elements. It makes for the perfect game. If you even remotely like action or role-playing, give Fallout 3 a try. You shouldn't regret it. Expand
  76. MattF.
    Oct 30, 2008
    This is a phenomenal game. It's not in the same vein as the first two fallouts (the dark humour is much less evident), but it is a very very good game. VATS is a phenomenal combat system - switching back to first person becomes a bit of a drag after using VATS too long.
  77. Wtfji
    Oct 30, 2008
    Isn't there someone to moderate these comments? Mike R is clearly taking the piss with the most stupid and worthless comment of all time. Maybe you need to be British to understand that. Either way... you should delete it.
  78. StevenD
    Jan 23, 2009
    Awesome game. I've put in around 30 hours so far, and haven't even really done that many quests. I've just enjoyed traveling the wasteland, building up my character, and exploring for new towns/cities. If you enjoyed Oblivion or Mass Effect, this is equally great!
  79. HansH
    Dec 7, 2009
    It's an amazing game with a good story and charakters. All 5 add-ons are well worth playing!
  80. FrankP
    Jan 6, 2009
    This is one of the best or THE best game I have ever played. To any critics who gave this less than 100 or users who gave it a 0 or someother BS low score..."You must be INSANE". I guess it could just not be your cup of tea...but come on...this game has everything! And it's the most bang for your buck by a long shot...much more than Orange Box...and that game was a masterpiece as This is one of the best or THE best game I have ever played. To any critics who gave this less than 100 or users who gave it a 0 or someother BS low score..."You must be INSANE". I guess it could just not be your cup of tea...but come on...this game has everything! And it's the most bang for your buck by a long shot...much more than Orange Box...and that game was a masterpiece as well. I have become addicted to this game, it is that good. I have easily played over a 100 hours on it and still am not even halfway done. It has action, great environments and level design, tons of interesting characters to interact with, multiple outcomes and rewards to each situation, the RPG leveling up dynamic, its simply brilliant. Expand
  81. ColinMosher
    Feb 3, 2009
    I played this game for a good five day rental and I got through quite a bit. I have to say, it is all I wanted in a version of Oblivion with guns. Of course, instead of just making a game from the past such as Oblivion with guns, they adjusted the setting to fit the Fallout series perfectly and executed the Oblivion engine accurately. I found the beginning to be very imaginative, more soI played this game for a good five day rental and I got through quite a bit. I have to say, it is all I wanted in a version of Oblivion with guns. Of course, instead of just making a game from the past such as Oblivion with guns, they adjusted the setting to fit the Fallout series perfectly and executed the Oblivion engine accurately. I found the beginning to be very imaginative, more so than what was done with Oblivion; however, it was very lengthy and seemed to block me from getting much action. Overall, I say 9.5/10 for excellent game despite glitches and somewhat lengthy beginning. Expand
  82. LukaszC
    Jul 19, 2009
    The game is great . In times where some games like Mass Effect (13 hours length first playthrough) are called Rpg this game shows what a real RPG is . With over 30 hours of lentgh its a decent long game . There is alot to explore , the battle system is great and there are some funny stuff to do like let Megaton explode and then betray tenpenny ? xD The only things i didnt like and why The game is great . In times where some games like Mass Effect (13 hours length first playthrough) are called Rpg this game shows what a real RPG is . With over 30 hours of lentgh its a decent long game . There is alot to explore , the battle system is great and there are some funny stuff to do like let Megaton explode and then betray tenpenny ? xD The only things i didnt like and why this game didnt get a 10 out of 10 are : There are some bugs which can make the experience suffer and also if you look at other Fallout games you will see that there is some stuff which you cant do , and also you can kill whole megaton with a bomb but you cant kill the children with a handgun ? Kinda stupid but thats only my opinion . Still this game is a MUST BUY for every RPG fan who wants to wander through the capital Wastelands . And the DLCs keep comming to continue the story of the Lone Wanderer ... Score 9/10. Expand
  83. robb
    Sep 1, 2009
    I'm not an rpg fan,however i have been blown away by fallout3.oblivion did nothing for me as much as i tried to love it but this had me from the moment i was born untill i completed the game.the gameplay and story are so brilliantly wound together even after i turned my 360 off i still found my mind heading back to the wasteland.there was just so many memorable misions and side I'm not an rpg fan,however i have been blown away by fallout3.oblivion did nothing for me as much as i tried to love it but this had me from the moment i was born untill i completed the game.the gameplay and story are so brilliantly wound together even after i turned my 360 off i still found my mind heading back to the wasteland.there was just so many memorable misions and side quests i could play them all again and again.the graphics are for the most part great although some annimation and character models need some fine tunning but it does not detract from the game at all.2008 an amazing year for gameing between this gta4 and left 4 dead to name just three of the best games ever created. Expand
  84. ChrisT
    Sep 16, 2009
    I got Oblivion for chrismas the year it came out, and i remember thinking "wow this game is great, but i wish it had guns in it." and then in the not so distant future i heard about this game and got it when it came out. Seriously, one of the best games i have ever played. i can get month's of enertainment from this game. No matter what is new out and what i am playing, i can always I got Oblivion for chrismas the year it came out, and i remember thinking "wow this game is great, but i wish it had guns in it." and then in the not so distant future i heard about this game and got it when it came out. Seriously, one of the best games i have ever played. i can get month's of enertainment from this game. No matter what is new out and what i am playing, i can always put fallout 3 in and enjoy it. Expand
  85. Miguel
    Sep 26, 2009
    shooter or not i had a very good time with this game and i greatly reward it with a 10/10
    it's the best game i played in a long time so it deserves it very much.
    good controls.sharp graphics,nice world (or well...nice ?) chaotic is the word :)
    it is challenging enough for my liking .
    so it is a ACE if u ask me.
  86. JeffM
    Feb 9, 2010
    Immersive, beautifully ugly, but the challenge seems to disappear once you get to the higher levels. This is made up for in quirky events, random encounters, and overall fun. I couldn't decide on 9 or 10 so what the heck, I wouldn't play it over again if it wasn't as good as it is.
  87. MikeP
    Nov 1, 2008
    Everything in the game was as good as promised, the environments are very detailed and awesome to look at, the V.A.T.S system is very well done, and gives the player an edge over their enemies, like a better form of bullet time. Characters in this game are at least twice as well developed as they were in Oblivion, I felt attached and involved with the storyline and the characters. As far Everything in the game was as good as promised, the environments are very detailed and awesome to look at, the V.A.T.S system is very well done, and gives the player an edge over their enemies, like a better form of bullet time. Characters in this game are at least twice as well developed as they were in Oblivion, I felt attached and involved with the storyline and the characters. As far as following the overall feel of a fallout game, I feel it does pretty well, it stumbles in some places that really point out the difference between Black Isle/Interplay and Bethesda. Bethesda's fallout world is less free, less funny and less nuanced than Black Isle' fallout world. There were less dialogue options in F3 as opposed to F1&2 but I suppose that when you record voices for every NPC sentence it makes it more difficult to have 7 options when 3 would get the point across. Along those lines though sometimes I felt like what I wanted to say didn't have a parallel with the options I was given. It was also like I said not quite as funny as the first two games in the tragic-comedy type of way. Also Bethesda does not give you the ABSOLUTE freedom that you would get from the first two games, if you have 99 skill in lockpick and the door requires 100 your not getting in, in Fallout 1&2 you'd just chuckle as you set a five pound brick of plastic-explosives for 20 seconds and dive behind cover as the door flies off it's hinges. You require training to use certain armor, and the person that trains you isn't available to you until you complete an objective well within the middle of the game; F1&2 you'd just put it on. It's details like those that I'm missing from this fallout and have made it slightly frustrating to play as a fallout game. That and my biggest annoyance is that if I turn every enemy in the room into steaming goo before my allies fire a shot, they still talk to me like I needed their help and I can't handle myself. Expand
  88. TheStodd
    Nov 16, 2008
    Fantastic - Game of the Year. I haven't been so imeresed since Mass Effect. A few bugs, but overall less hassle than the PC version. Get it NOW!
  89. JackJ.
    Nov 2, 2008
    This is a great game. The visuals are good, and there is a huge environment to enjoy. Aside from the story, there are many other enemies and battles to engage in, and the missions are extensive. Definitely lives up to my expectations
  90. KristianR.
    Nov 3, 2008
    Sure, it has a few bugs. Sure, it's like Oblivion (Why is that bad exactly?). I suppose it is possible to not like this game. But if you don't like it, you probably don't like video games much at all. Either that or you're lying to yourself and you secretly crave all that the Wasteland (TM) has to offer. And it offers a great deal.
  91. BrendanK
    Nov 3, 2008
    Amazing, absolutely amazing. A lot of reviews say it isn't just Oblivion-with-guns but really, that is all it is... and that is excellent! Bethesda have done an excellent job recreating the Fallout world with a consistent aesthetic and style and tone and you wll lose hours just exploring the Wasteland before you remember you haven't even entered DC yet. The floaty animations are Amazing, absolutely amazing. A lot of reviews say it isn't just Oblivion-with-guns but really, that is all it is... and that is excellent! Bethesda have done an excellent job recreating the Fallout world with a consistent aesthetic and style and tone and you wll lose hours just exploring the Wasteland before you remember you haven't even entered DC yet. The floaty animations are dissapointing but tolerable, in my opinion. Expand
  92. GD
    Nov 6, 2008
    I've been playing RPGs since Ultima 1, and this is certainly on par with the quality of Oblivion, with all the humor, storyline, combat, development, and history of a Fallout game. Don't let anyone tell you this is "oblivion with new graphics," because they're not right. So much stuff to do and see, and it's completely wide open. Anecdotally, each of my 4 friends I've been playing RPGs since Ultima 1, and this is certainly on par with the quality of Oblivion, with all the humor, storyline, combat, development, and history of a Fallout game. Don't let anyone tell you this is "oblivion with new graphics," because they're not right. So much stuff to do and see, and it's completely wide open. Anecdotally, each of my 4 friends playing exited the first Vault in different ways than I did... there's no 'correct' way to do things. Apart from some minor glitches, this game is a must have for any Fallout or RPG fan. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  93. AndrewD.
    Nov 6, 2008
    This game was something I had been waiting for a long time. I had loved Oblivion to death, and once i played this, I saw a striking similarity in a different setting. VATS is an awesome addition to combat and the part of conserving ammo and food puts you on the edge all the time. If you enjoyed Oblivion, I would highly recommend you give this game a try.
  94. AnonymousMC
    Nov 6, 2008
    Such a fine game deserves all the praise and attention it's getting. I've never played a game more realistic, more immersive, more epic. The story is engaging and clever, the AI is so real you feel like you actually are transported into this wasteland.

The fantastic story unfolds all around you, as the brilliant world is brought to life with beautiful graphics and a well thought out and detailed combat system.
    One thing's for sure, there has never been an RPG quite like this.
  95. JorgeM.
    Nov 8, 2008
    Awesome game. The story is great and there's lots of side quests and other things to do. Yes, it feels a lot like Oblivion, but the first time you decapitate a mutant with your rifle you will realize you are not in Cyrodil anymore. Your choices have real consequences and the world is huge. I highly recommend it.
  96. RickA.
    Nov 9, 2008
    The reviewer from GamePro got it right, quite easily the best RPG on the console to date. Ive been gaming for 27years, so ive pretty much played them all - the greats that is, and this massive gem from Bethesda easily falls into my all time fave games list. Fallout3 is so impressive, immersive, atmospheric and downright massive that its up there with the likes of Resident Evil, Tomb The reviewer from GamePro got it right, quite easily the best RPG on the console to date. Ive been gaming for 27years, so ive pretty much played them all - the greats that is, and this massive gem from Bethesda easily falls into my all time fave games list. Fallout3 is so impressive, immersive, atmospheric and downright massive that its up there with the likes of Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Half-Life, Final Fantaty or Halo as a single player gaming experience you dont want to miss. You can burn through the main story in 20hrs, however thats not the real experience. Ive just clocked 100hrs exploring the 150+ locations around the map, each one with its own different theme, history, monsters, hidden goodies & feel - that you never know what to expect, the variety being the rewards for your efforts. Ive played many RPG games where the off story locations feel just that. Not so with this beautiful game - and there in lies Fallout3's irresistable charm. Easily the front-runner for the 2008 G.O.T.Y - Expand
  97. DavidM.
    Nov 9, 2008
    Besides some annoying glitches (stopped F3 from getting a 10) this is the most fun I've had with a game in recent memory. For those attempting to make the choice between Fable 2 and Fallout 3 I would certainly suggest both, but F3 is far better in my opinion. PROS: Deep role playing elements, serviceable shooter controls, interesting story, theme and atmosphere, excellent graphics Besides some annoying glitches (stopped F3 from getting a 10) this is the most fun I've had with a game in recent memory. For those attempting to make the choice between Fable 2 and Fallout 3 I would certainly suggest both, but F3 is far better in my opinion. PROS: Deep role playing elements, serviceable shooter controls, interesting story, theme and atmosphere, excellent graphics (It ISN'T supposed to be bright and sunny like Oblivion folks, stop saying it looks dreary like it's a bad thing, it's fracking supposed to.) CONS: Glitches, fighting without V.A.T.S. is like pulling teeth sometimes, dialogue is a little sketchy occasionally, combat A.I. is better (than Oblivion) but overall NPC A.I. seems janky. Expand
  98. NeilK.
    Dec 23, 2008
    This game is so engaging for such a long period of time. The vast wasteland gives the player an endless array of enemies and new terrains to discover. With one of the most in depth stories since Bethesda's last offer, Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion, Fallout 3 brings you all the fun of Oblivion with guns. The game clearly will be lacking the magical element of Oblivion but the freedom This game is so engaging for such a long period of time. The vast wasteland gives the player an endless array of enemies and new terrains to discover. With one of the most in depth stories since Bethesda's last offer, Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion, Fallout 3 brings you all the fun of Oblivion with guns. The game clearly will be lacking the magical element of Oblivion but the freedom given to the creators in building creatures is endless. With mutants and wild animals alike strolling around this 13 square mile wasteland is dangerous. With some of the highlights being, running through the deadly Deathclaw Sanctuary and making my way through the super mutant infested capitol, and of course who could forget the communist hating robot Liberty Prime. With brilliant voice acting from Liam Neeson and Malcolm McDowell and brilliant weapons like the Fat Man, Fallout 3's creative futuristic post-apocalyptic wasteland is vastly in depth with things to do and people to meet. Expand
  99. ClaudeBaldwin
    Dec 23, 2008
    This game is by far the greatest, single-most, awesomeness game to grace the genre of RPG in a LONG time. It is by far surpassing of Fable 2 or any other game that you think could live up to Fallout 3. Bethesda went ALL out on this game. 60+ hours of gameplay for 60 dollars. Definite buy for any RPG fan.
  100. choddo
    Dec 29, 2008
    Outstanding, atmospheric. You have to buy in to the story (which I did and then some) in order to make the scavenging feel worthwhile and the morose scenery really resonates if you're prepared to suspend disbelief that you're wandering around a post-nuclear wasteland. I tired of Oblivion after an hour but this has me hooked.

1. Fallout 3 is an experience in itself, and while it may not offer as much replay value as Oblivion, it’s so much more then an “Oblivion with guns”.
    From the hollow wind blowing down through subway tunnels, to the radioactive dust clouds swirling throughout the wasteland, up to the buzzards circling the encampment where the bodies of 30 slave traders lie; Fallout 3 is as much a game as it is a training sim for the coming apocalypse.
  3. In fact, Fallout 3 is leaner and meaner than Bethesda's previous efforts, less expansive but more intense, while still offering immense replay value and quite a few thrills along the way.