8.6

1. [anonymous]
    Jan 20, 2010
    You must get the GOTY edition with the DLC to enjoy this game!!! I could see this game being an 8 or 9 without the DLC, but with the level cap raised, and other missions. this is my favorite game of all time!!
  2. Apr 27, 2011
    If you liked Oblivion you will fall in love with this masterpiece. Trying to follow your missing dad ,stuff gets more interesting and almost impossible to finish the game , simply because you just want to explore Washington completely. There are a lot of weapons but limited ammo , radiated water , hordes of creatures and mutants , rider making it hard and struggling to survive in thisIf you liked Oblivion you will fall in love with this masterpiece. Trying to follow your missing dad ,stuff gets more interesting and almost impossible to finish the game , simply because you just want to explore Washington completely. There are a lot of weapons but limited ammo , radiated water , hordes of creatures and mutants , rider making it hard and struggling to survive in this wicked dangerous world. Cool graphics , cool environment , desolated city etc. Great ambient sound effect. This is a totally pick for RPG fans Expand
  3. THATGAMINGGUY
    Oct 30, 2008
    Being a fan of the old PC Fallouts, and not being a big fan of Bethesda's Oblivion, I went into this game with a naive expectation for game of the year. And yeah, it came kinda close. First of all, it may not seem so for the first few hours, but eventually F3 turns into a very compelling and satisfying story, with a surprising flavor of a FInal Fantasy 7 or 8, mixed it. On the other Being a fan of the old PC Fallouts, and not being a big fan of Bethesda's Oblivion, I went into this game with a naive expectation for game of the year. And yeah, it came kinda close. First of all, it may not seem so for the first few hours, but eventually F3 turns into a very compelling and satisfying story, with a surprising flavor of a FInal Fantasy 7 or 8, mixed it. On the other hand, the fact that the main character (you) don't ever speak a word (hello 1993 rpg?) but everyone else does, kind of shoots the game in the foot a bit, taking away from it's direction a being a memorable personal story (please see Mass Effect on how this is done right). Aside from this, the sandbox gaming is on GTA IV level of fun, definitely a highlight of what this game is about. Exploring, scavenging, etc. The karma (good v evil) system is cool, but still a step behind Mass Effect. There's tons of glitches, more than enough to make this fall into the "feels like a 90s pc game" category. But not enough to make me dislike the game. It's a ton of fun. And for all it's flaws, it is still very impressive and addictive as hell. Oblivion with guns? Yes, but that's exactly what it needed to be. Expand
  4. Oct 8, 2010
    Loved this game. preordered it and awaited its arrival. loved it straight away. i've replayed it more than oblivion, i find it easier to take off from where i left it than oblivion where i feel i have to start a new character. rather than fast travel i wish there was the option of some sort of vehicle to pilot but i guess the terrain in the game would not be able to support this. i likeLoved this game. preordered it and awaited its arrival. loved it straight away. i've replayed it more than oblivion, i find it easier to take off from where i left it than oblivion where i feel i have to start a new character. rather than fast travel i wish there was the option of some sort of vehicle to pilot but i guess the terrain in the game would not be able to support this. i like the fact you can spend hours walking. see things in the distance and travel towards them and the level of if i can say "realism" in that travel from A to B of the obstacles you might encounter in between. Expand
  5. Jun 1, 2011
    This game will draw you in and never let you go if you let it. It's post apocolyptic setting mixed with it's unique cast of characters, stellar soundtrack and interesting locations and missions and you have one of the best settings in video games. If you love post apocolyptic settings, 1950's American culture, salvaging and character customization, this is your game.
  6. MatthewM
    Oct 30, 2008
    This game is basically Fallout meets Oblivion. It's gorgeous, control is decent, upgrades are substantial, story is intriguing. It is definitely well in line with the Fallout of my youth. However, I always get bored of Elder Scrolls games and am already starting to feel that wanderlust.
  7. DanielT
    Jan 6, 2010
    Um... What the hell? I really, really don't see why anyone would call this game boring and the shooting element bland. If this is boring, then why play great shooters like Modern Warfare 2 at all? Anyways, to the point of my review score - 10/10 - One word: CHOICE. Not even Mass Effect (which hurts me to say) has the impact of decisions that you make; we have to wait for ME2. Playing Um... What the hell? I really, really don't see why anyone would call this game boring and the shooting element bland. If this is boring, then why play great shooters like Modern Warfare 2 at all? Anyways, to the point of my review score - 10/10 - One word: CHOICE. Not even Mass Effect (which hurts me to say) has the impact of decisions that you make; we have to wait for ME2. Playing through the first time on the Hero morality took me several weeks to beat, at which point I was greatly dissapointed by the ending...until Bethesda came out with Broken Steel, and renewed my love for this game. If you "hate" this game, don't play it and say bad things about and, in turn, have it defended by the actual gamers. -Number 3 on my list- Expand
  8. Jakkers
    Oct 31, 2008
    After a half dozen hours in this game, I can safely say it's straight up more fun than Oblivion or Mass Effect. So far the only thing bothering me is the touchy walking animations - just not as crisp as in a standard fps, and it works to somewhat take you out of the experience. Besides that, fantastic game so far. 9.5/10.
  9. Tom
    Oct 30, 2008
    As a fan of the original Fallout series I was worried but am relieved to say that this is an incredible game. It truly makes you feel like you are a scavenger in a post apocalyptic world.
  10. RowanF
    Apr 9, 2009
    I've never really been much of a fan of the RPG genre. However, when I played Fallout 3... It... To use a quote from the add that i'm occasionally glancing at whilst writing this: It put a smile on my face. In fact I would go so far to say that if... Yes, I'm going to say it: If you don't like Fallout 3 then you should be thrown into the bottomless pit of hellfire. The I've never really been much of a fan of the RPG genre. However, when I played Fallout 3... It... To use a quote from the add that i'm occasionally glancing at whilst writing this: It put a smile on my face. In fact I would go so far to say that if... Yes, I'm going to say it: If you don't like Fallout 3 then you should be thrown into the bottomless pit of hellfire. The graphics are stunning, the locations the biggest I've seen amongst games and the load times the shortest. The sheer ingenuity and imagination that has been put into the game is astounding. As opposed to games like far cry 2 where the mission variety ranged from 'go here and destroy this' to... well... 'go here and destroy this', fallout 3 has you recovering the declaration of independence from an android who thinks he's a president in between helping a village based on a half-collapsed freeway rid themselves of the local vampire cult. And, while you might think that in a game where everything is so incredibly imaginative and well thought out there might be many flaws and a very short playtime, the entire game feels solid and problem free, with the exception of a few harmless, and often hilarious, glitches. And in fact, I've colcked up ver 60 hours of gameplay so far and there's stil tonnes i ahvent done. In short, almost every single part of this game is perfect. It is, if you like, an ingenious angel sent from heaven in a time of four-hours-long dull monotonous games. Expand
  11. DaveW.
    Oct 24, 2008
    Masterpiece! Same format as Oblivion but very much its own game. A MUST play for any RPG fan. FPS mechanics are of a high quality as well as the visuals that are some of the best I have seen. Just a shame my 360 red lighted 9 hours in! Putting that aside Bethesda have done it again - buy it!!
  12. DuxaC.
    Oct 27, 2008
    This is the best game I have ever played.. Tutorial is genius, the world looks like id imagine a post apocalyptic world... the story is thrilling. Characters are awesome. There are some minor issues, like small pathing/animation problems.. but those can all be fixed with a small patch. And even if they never fix them, they are so minor that it doesn't matter. If you are going to buy This is the best game I have ever played.. Tutorial is genius, the world looks like id imagine a post apocalyptic world... the story is thrilling. Characters are awesome. There are some minor issues, like small pathing/animation problems.. but those can all be fixed with a small patch. And even if they never fix them, they are so minor that it doesn't matter. If you are going to buy only 1 game this holiday season.. then this is the game to get. Expand
  13. ChristianG.
    Oct 27, 2008
    This is no doubt one of the best games in history, and a front-runner for game of the year. It combines incredibly deep roleplaying with amazing combat, an astounding narrative, ridiculous amounts of freedom, an incredible atmosphere and obscene amounts of content into a cohesive whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. A game that transcends simple quality, it is simply a must play.
  14. Sep 24, 2011
    With Fallout 3 they took everything great about Oblivion and made it TEN TIMES BETTER. Not a surprise that this was awared so many GOTY rewards. Ignore the negative reviews of this MASTERPIECE, buy this game!
  15. Jan 8, 2015
    Though it's graphics are now long outdated this game is still one of my favorite games of all time. The ambiance is chilling and every aspect of this game blends together flawlessly. The story is a bit short but is is deep and supplemented with many fun side quests and cool characters. The music, enemies and creatures and npc characters are all uniquely fallout and will be hard wired intoThough it's graphics are now long outdated this game is still one of my favorite games of all time. The ambiance is chilling and every aspect of this game blends together flawlessly. The story is a bit short but is is deep and supplemented with many fun side quests and cool characters. The music, enemies and creatures and npc characters are all uniquely fallout and will be hard wired into my brain for the rest of my life. The only reason i'm not giving this gem a perfect score is because it's color shading is a bit off and it makes everything look kinda greenish and there are a few minor glitches. Do yourself a favor and go buy the GOTYE of this game now. Expand
  16. DanielS
    Oct 29, 2008
    So far this year this is the best game I have played. But there are negatives. First the good 1. Its very much like oblivion but with a way better combat system 2. Leveling system is more interesting than oblivion (u actually have to think about it as you dont want to waste your pts) 3. very immersive environment. The bad is that the after 40+ hrs i can see myself getting bored by the So far this year this is the best game I have played. But there are negatives. First the good 1. Its very much like oblivion but with a way better combat system 2. Leveling system is more interesting than oblivion (u actually have to think about it as you dont want to waste your pts) 3. very immersive environment. The bad is that the after 40+ hrs i can see myself getting bored by the post apocalpyse motiff. no variety compared to the fantasy world of oblivion. plus brown is 90% of the colors in the game. ive played about 5 hrs and just got to megaton and doing my first side mission there. all in all a great game. i recommend getting the guide. also what irks me is i picked the big guns skills but only use the small guns so far so that was a waste. also it takes a billion shots to kill anything when u are low level even headshots at point blank. Vats is not as good as was hyped to be also Expand
  17. Oct 29, 2012
    Fallout 3 masterfully creates a parallel universe for players to explore and lose dozens of hours in. No other game of this console generation comes close to offering the amount of content, freedom of choice, and level of immersion that can be found here.
  18. Sep 20, 2010
    I felt a sense of accomplishment. But then again I don't feel the need for a "100% completion score." It can be done without much hassle, though. Very fun game - I really liked Oblivion and I loved playing Fallout and Fallout 2 as a kid so that engine with that story was nice. Can't wait for New Vegas.
  19. Mar 18, 2011
    Fallout 3 is most definitely a must have for a new gamer to the XBOX 360. The basic storyline to the fallout is that you're born in Vault 101 (Can decide to male or female) where you live with your Dad (Your Mum tragically dies from child birth) and you see yourself grow up in the Vault this extends to when you're a one year old child and 18 your old teenage whens something terribleFallout 3 is most definitely a must have for a new gamer to the XBOX 360. The basic storyline to the fallout is that you're born in Vault 101 (Can decide to male or female) where you live with your Dad (Your Mum tragically dies from child birth) and you see yourself grow up in the Vault this extends to when you're a one year old child and 18 your old teenage whens something terrible happens and you need to sort things out.

I love the aspect in how you can do what ever you want in the wastelands (Basically the world of Fallout) without affecting the game storyline etc. You encounter many enemies along your journey this can extend to bugs like a Radroach and Super Mutants, the difficulty of these enemies vary on your levels and how you use your skill points effectively to create your own personal character ( S.P.E.C.I.A.L ; Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, Luck) e.g. If your character has a high Charisma he is more likely to buy items for a low price and sell items for a high price. You can decide individual perks for character as you level up.

My final analysis on Fallout is very good, as I love how it bases your actions on real life and the consequences you will get whether they are good or bad e.g. If you kill someone in the a town, the townspeople will consider you a threat and would like you removed. The reason why I didn't give this game a 10 it is because:

1. Being addicted to certain drugs can be very annoying if you are on a battlefield in search for medicine. (Can be cured by a Doctor: which I accidentally killed =) )
    2. A minuscule and minor fault with Fallout 3 not to seem feminine or anything but i would like to see what my character looks like from the front rather than the back because I'm partial to games were you dress up your character =)

Hope you enjoy my review and buy Fallout 3!
    =D
  20. Nov 25, 2010
    This is Oblivion in the Fallout universe, don't be fooled. That said, it's not a bad thing. As usual, this game is riddled with bugs and frustrations, but overall it's definitely worth it. I put so many hours into it that I know it's worth playing through them. The story is vast and engaging, and for a single player game, it'll give you a ton of bang for your buck.
  21. Feb 4, 2011
    Fallout 3 is one of the best experiences I have ever had with a video game, the graphics are AMAZING and still highly impressive even by todays standards, voice acting is top notch, and sound effects and music are outstanding, the quests are amazing, this game has stolen over 200 hours of my life and I still want more, my only complaints are that it has some bugs and glitches, but in theFallout 3 is one of the best experiences I have ever had with a video game, the graphics are AMAZING and still highly impressive even by todays standards, voice acting is top notch, and sound effects and music are outstanding, the quests are amazing, this game has stolen over 200 hours of my life and I still want more, my only complaints are that it has some bugs and glitches, but in the end they don't hinder the experience at all, I highly recommend this game to any and all gamers, it is an adventure that must be experienced by everyone. Expand
  22. Jan 11, 2011
    perfect. the perfect game really.

anyone who says it's too short, should go play pac man. the point of the game and it's ilk is exploration.

I still play.
  23. Feb 27, 2011
    Fallout 3 offers great value for your money and rivals one of the best games of the decade Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

PROS: Lives up to the standards that made the Fallout series great. Vast in game world to explore. Rich and fulfilling RPG elements that make the game unique. Captivating world that blends the history 1950s into scifi and the idea of the future. Game play make the game outstanding.

PROS: Bad animations that can ruin the immersion of the game. Unsatisfying main quest that can drag on. p.s. Don't come in to the game expecting a FPS game or you will disappointed.
  24. Mar 6, 2011
    Yes some of the character animation isn't great - human anyway - but switching to first person view helps.
    This games has offered me more hours of entertainment than any other, and that includes some of the big titles from 2010. The open ended exploration coupled with the enemy AI make this game so exciting to play: enemies will not simply wait for you - they will come after you. There is also great variety in the gameplay, so many ways to kill or be killed.
  25. Mar 21, 2011
    After the huge disappointment that was DA:II, I needed a new game to try my hand at. I love Oblivion but wanted something a bit different. For anyone new to the series, I will say the giant post-apocalyptic world can seem a bit daunting. You'll stumble over map locations more often than you'll have them mapped out for you by a helpful NPC but that's part of the allure to this game. You canAfter the huge disappointment that was DA:II, I needed a new game to try my hand at. I love Oblivion but wanted something a bit different. For anyone new to the series, I will say the giant post-apocalyptic world can seem a bit daunting. You'll stumble over map locations more often than you'll have them mapped out for you by a helpful NPC but that's part of the allure to this game. You can just wander, scavenging what you can to keep you in caps and ammo or head out to tackle one of the various side-quests or forge ahead in the main story. Keep your Pip-Boy tuned to GNR for some ambiance and your weapon loaded. Expand
  26. Apr 30, 2012
    Whilst Skyrim feels like a cheap, by the numbers cash-in designed for nothing more than raking in people's dollar from pre-orders, Fallout 3 (GOTY ed) is a superbly crafted game, and the effort + skill put into this top notch package is evident throughout. The main reason the game works so well is because the game's environment, and subsequent discoveries you make throughout exploring it,Whilst Skyrim feels like a cheap, by the numbers cash-in designed for nothing more than raking in people's dollar from pre-orders, Fallout 3 (GOTY ed) is a superbly crafted game, and the effort + skill put into this top notch package is evident throughout. The main reason the game works so well is because the game's environment, and subsequent discoveries you make throughout exploring it, really draw you in and submerse you with ease - the capital wasteland has so much character that you can't help but fall in love with it. Everything about the game fits and works well too, from the leveling system to the VATS combat system which, although it may take a little time to get used to, never gets old. The atmospheric terminator-esq music helps draw you in too, and a lot of the quests actually require you to keep pushing on throughout the wasteland instead of being simple fetch quests (although there are a few of those in there) - which again enhances that desire to explore further. The RPG aspect does still lack - again it's a case of there not being that much choice available (although there is still SOME choice available, more than Skyrim). But the game is no weaker for it, and a game which is all about exploration in a ruined wasteland manages to nail that right on the nose. It can be a bit buggy at times, and it can also be a tad repetitive, but overall it just works and it works superbly. Definitely one to put at the top of your shopping list. Expand
  27. Sep 16, 2011
    have never been a huge fan of the rpg genre but fallout 3 changes the way I look at rpgs this is one of the most brilliant, deep, enthralling and in depth game I have ever played. First off this game's areas just really add to the Post Apocalypse feel of the game the broken roads and destroyed buildings in the city really show how much effect the war had on the Capital Wasteland all thishave never been a huge fan of the rpg genre but fallout 3 changes the way I look at rpgs this is one of the most brilliant, deep, enthralling and in depth game I have ever played. First off this game's areas just really add to the Post Apocalypse feel of the game the broken roads and destroyed buildings in the city really show how much effect the war had on the Capital Wasteland all this gives the game a very realistic post of Apocalypse feel. The game also gives the player alot of freedom once the player progresses through first few main quests the player can do whatever he/she wants let that be roam around the capital wasteland killing people and monsters, going around discovering locations, finding sidequests, trying to find and buy weapons and or just continue on with the main quest. The game also gives the player a choice of what way the player wants to play there are 3 skills the player can choose in the start portion of the game which will allow him/her to choose his 3 top skills so the player can actually go ahead and base his combat skills on Melee Fighting, Shooting or the player can base his combat skills on the good old fashion way by his fists ofcourse by using fist gaunlets which the player can find at various locations throughtout the game. The game also has alot of perks giving the player more special abilities. On top of that there are other skills like Speech and Barter which can allow the player to avoid doing some tasks in particular quests or forcing the NPCs to pay them a larger sum for their services. There are also skills like Lockpick and Science that will allow the players lockpick locks and hack computers respectively both of these skills are necessary for some sidequests. Even though the game doesn't have that many sidequests they are also reasonably long and rewarding and all the sidequests vary in alot of different ways For example in one you will be going through the subway to kill some Fire Ants, in another one you will be going to various different places to gather research for a book someone is planning to write and in another quest you will be given a mercenary or assassin's contract to kill or assassinate people. However you can solve these quests in a number of different ways as well like for example you can force the book author to stop thinking about writing a book or you can give her false researh information, and in the mercenary contract quest you can lie to the person who hired you for killing about killing the people who were told to kill when you actually did not kill them, and turn your back on the person who gave you the contract in the first place and kill him instead. The game also has alot of enemy variety there are animals like wild dogs, bears and mole rats, monsters like the super mutants, Feral Ghouls and the Death Claws and thugs like the Raiders and there are tons of places which you can explore and some of those places have a hidden special weapon, item or armor which the player would love to get his hands on the enemy A.I leveling up scale has also been done well in this game. There is also alot of weapon variety in this game. The player can go around killing people in VATS in which the player chooses which parts of the body of the enemy to hit and each hit consumes AP points which refills after the player uses VATS that is definitely the best part about the game's combat however real time gun combat can be frustrating because of the aiming and shooting does not seem that well polished however the real time combat works fine when Melee or Unarmed weapons are being used. The game's story is good and serviceable but it could have been so much better the story started out so well and sucked me in the game than it just lost its momentum and in the end it just ended up being a war between the BoS and the Enclave over the Washington DC and the ending was really disappointing to me. The games soundtrack is a great kickback to the 1930s and 1940s I would have ever listened to those Gems if it wasn't for this game as far the Voice acting goes it is clear it was done by a small cast but they still did a good job just don't expect stellar voice acting you see in games like GTA, Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect. The graphics of the game are not up to today's standards but that is still understandable considering how huge this game is. The game also has some bugs and glitches but I have not had that many crashes or any corrupt files there were bugs like slow down, texture and frame-rate pop ins from time to time and sometimes characters just disappeared or floated in thin air but that is particularly the fault of the old and dated Oblivion engine Bethesda used in this game. In the end despite its minor drawbacks Fallout 3 is great Sci-Fi post apocalypse game just waiting to reveal its dark secrets and sucking you in its world Fallout 3 is just amazing. 9.5/10. Expand
  28. Oct 25, 2011
    An absolute essential to any gamers repertoire. If you don't have Fallout 3, then you need to go and get it ASAP. You can get the GOTY edition now for 25$ brand new. That is a huge deal. For a game that offers hundreds of hours of entertainment, that is a steal.

Go and buy Fallout 3 right now, you will not regret it.
  29. Dec 8, 2013
    This is the best RPG I have played. It beats oblivion and skyrim to me. It has a meaningful story with great progression and skills. It is to good to ignore.
  30. Mar 19, 2012
    Masterpiece of modern gaming. Bethesda crafted a unique game which remains an excellent homage to the original Fallout series. Almost 4 years after its release and I can still pick it up and enjoy it again and again. It would not surprise me if I had 300+ hours of play time into it. It's just that good.
  31. Apr 8, 2012
    i love this game. it has so much to offer. the free roaming is awesome. it may start off a bit difficult but eventually all of that will balance out. its a great game. i know i'm in the minority, but i enjoy the fallout series even more than the elder scrolls series. i don't know what it is but i think that this game just offers something that clicked more with me than skyrim or oblivion.
  32. Jul 11, 2012
    I bought the GOTY edition,and must say that this is the only RPG I have gotten all of the DLC for and played through it all. I'm actually reconsidering buying the GOTY edition for my PS3 as well just to play it all over again. Absolutely great RPG by Bethesda.
  33. Nov 14, 2012
    One of, if not the best game for the current generation. While having not played anything like this before this was a completely fresh idea to take the fallout series into the First Person RPG. The main story of the game is not great but it is just a drop in the ocean compared to the size and scale of the rest of the game. I could easily spent hours upon hours just exploring and comingOne of, if not the best game for the current generation. While having not played anything like this before this was a completely fresh idea to take the fallout series into the First Person RPG. The main story of the game is not great but it is just a drop in the ocean compared to the size and scale of the rest of the game. I could easily spent hours upon hours just exploring and coming across different things across the wasteland and have managed to have over 200 hours played across different save files. Every gamer should have played this game and at its current price you would be silly not to at least give this a try Expand
  34. Mar 5, 2013
    Fallout 3 is a game that is all about the atmosphere. The atmosphere created by Bethesda Studios in Fallout is, in my opinion, one of the most well made atmospheres in a game. This atmosphere is created and sustained through the vintage 1950's Cold War culture and a futuristic post-apocalyptic wasteland that can keep the player entertained and exploring for hours on end. With a solid gameFallout 3 is a game that is all about the atmosphere. The atmosphere created by Bethesda Studios in Fallout is, in my opinion, one of the most well made atmospheres in a game. This atmosphere is created and sustained through the vintage 1950's Cold War culture and a futuristic post-apocalyptic wasteland that can keep the player entertained and exploring for hours on end. With a solid game play system, including the V.A.T.S. stop time combat, Fallout 3 sets out to guide the player on an incredible quest of epic proportions, and succeeds brilliantly at doing so. Expand
  35. Apr 10, 2013
    Although it is a rather fun game with the V.A.T.S. for the "shooter impaired" like me I found myself repeatedly thinking of Oblivion and the ilk. It may as well be titled "Apocalypse: The Elder Scrolls" for its huge similarity. Just like every other Bethesda game I've played you really need to keep at least 3 saves in case of some weird glitches (Combat save, level entry save, town save)Although it is a rather fun game with the V.A.T.S. for the "shooter impaired" like me I found myself repeatedly thinking of Oblivion and the ilk. It may as well be titled "Apocalypse: The Elder Scrolls" for its huge similarity. Just like every other Bethesda game I've played you really need to keep at least 3 saves in case of some weird glitches (Combat save, level entry save, town save) but if you can get past that it is a truly enjoyable experience. The cinematic cam for when you make an incredible shot like sniping a Raider from half mile away just feels so satisfying… until all the other raiders come after you and you can't do anything since your stuck in the 'kill cam' mode. (That combat save is rather important) The game is solid enough to support your play style, I even made a second character just to try a more frontal approach instead of the stealth I usually do. (Thief and Dishonored style gaming will always be in my first approach) The levels are well designed enough, although cover is sort of scarce for a shooter. Although there is plenty of things to pick up, not much of it is really worth attention. Tin Cans abound but you can't do anything with them for example. One thing that I really didn't like at first was the weapon and apparel durability. It makes sense, but it wasn't something in a game I really wanted. Later I found that it made me use different and new weapons during different parts of the plot. Like how Raiders use plenty of assault rifles and hunting rifles to repair yours with but you might want to use energy weapons against The Enclave since that's what they use. Healing items are rather plentiful and you'll find you don't really need them all once you get a good handle on how the game plays but get them all anyway. Your going to need them in the DLCs just to stay alive most of the time. Which pretty much sums the game up, its all about thinking about trying to survive the wasteland between the part scavenging, hostile inhabitants, and radiation. Planning your next step is always a forethought throughout the game. Expand
  36. Jun 23, 2013
    Fallout 3 is to this day the best game I have ever played. I went into it knowing surprisingly little about it and immediately fell in love with it. The way the combat is designed is the best possible way that shooting could be integrated into an RPG. The fact that the combat in the game is not like any conventional shooters does wonders for the game's actual experience, and the inclusionFallout 3 is to this day the best game I have ever played. I went into it knowing surprisingly little about it and immediately fell in love with it. The way the combat is designed is the best possible way that shooting could be integrated into an RPG. The fact that the combat in the game is not like any conventional shooters does wonders for the game's actual experience, and the inclusion of VATS takes the combat from plain shooter to something so much more unique and special (not to mention fun). The RPG elements of the game are also some of the best I've ever played. The interaction between characters is interesting and engaging, and the way that people react to your character based on the impressions they have made from you is extremely impressive, especially since they retain their behavior long after your first encounter with them. Though the character models are certainly something that could be improved upon, the voice acting is so stellar it more than makes up for it. The voice acting is certainly the best of its time for this game. There has also never been a game that has encouraged exploration more than Fallout 3 in my opinion. Other games like Oblivion never really got me interested in the world enough to want to wander aimlessly for hours in search of something new. There is so much to see in the game if you take the time to see it, and so many valuable items to find, like alien pistols or specially designed sniper rifles. There is also the constant and engaging prospect of finding a wayward scavenger out in the wastes and getting the thrill of stealing from him or just killing him for his goods (if you know how to have fun, that is), as well as getting attacked by any number of dangerous foes from an Enclave ambush to a wandering Deathclaw. And from the exploration that you have, you can find any number of marked and unmarked quests like finding a Stradivarius violin for an old woman, stumbling across an "oasis of green in a depressing sea of brown" and talking to a mutated tree-man, and even things so small as getting a proposition to help a shady ghoul make ultra-potent narcotics. Everything a person could imagine could be found in Fallout 3 if you know where to look. This brings a ridiculous amount of playability to the game; I am still finding new things on my very first playthrough that I maxed out years ago. I must have logged over 200 hours in Fallout 3 by now and I am still thrilled to play it. The core storyline in the game is more engaging and interesting than most other games as well. The emotion that the story brings is so great, and the choices that the player has to make (in all quests, not just story quests) weigh so heavily that it is sometimes hard to decide what to do. The story and all of the stories hidden in the game are at the very least enthralling. Though it may be a cliche, Fallout 3 is more than a game; it is an experience. If any game deserves a 10/10, it's this one. Expand
  37. Nov 29, 2013
    Simply, My favorite game of all time!! I got the GOTY edition and spent around 200 hours until I unlocked every achievement...

With its massive world full of quests, interesting places, great NPCs this game just makes you feel you are actually in the wasteland fighting for survival. I loved when you were just wandering and there were a lot of random events that kept you busy... And

I loved when you were just wandering and there were a lot of random events that kept you busy... And there's Dogmeat one of the best companions you can have in a video game...

Sure the game has a lot of glitches and I bet they are difficult to control with the mass world Bethesda created (just one advice, save often... very often), but the game manages to engage you with the details, funny level perks and game mechanics (V.A.T.S is one of the best inventions in gaming history...
  38. Mar 21, 2014
    Im not going to write a huge review here as I think most people will have already played this by now but on the off chance that someone somewhere is thinking about weather to buy this or not and is going through others reviews to make a decision then here is my take on Fallout 3...

The single greatest game ever to come out on the Xbox 360. I have 36 years old and have been gaming

The single greatest game ever to come out on the Xbox 360.

I have 36 years old and have been gaming since the 80s so while i may be old, I can say i have enough experience to know my games :) and this is in my top 5 of all time games.

Thats really all i can say! Go, buy and enjoy!
  39. Nov 8, 2011
    Played "Fallout 3" in my friend's house. It's pretty fun and enjoyable especially with the slow mo dissections, but it gets pretty boring after a while. The muddy textures also makes the game pretty hard to watch (you'll have to squint your eyes). BUT. It's basically an open world where you just run around and kill stuff which is pretty fun and exciting for those young indiana Jones dudesPlayed "Fallout 3" in my friend's house. It's pretty fun and enjoyable especially with the slow mo dissections, but it gets pretty boring after a while. The muddy textures also makes the game pretty hard to watch (you'll have to squint your eyes). BUT. It's basically an open world where you just run around and kill stuff which is pretty fun and exciting for those young indiana Jones dudes out there. The selection of dialogue (like Mass Effect) is also pretty amazing and intriguing; every decision you make COUNTS. Overall a good game that you'd spend a good time on. Expand
  40. Jan 16, 2013
    Fallout 3
    Fallout 3
    Fallout 3 has to be one of the best games out to this date for the Xbox but, there are other games that are good, but this one has to be one of the best. The game was made by Bethesda Game Studios it is the third game out that is a Fallout game and this one has to be the best of the three. There is a new one out that is called Fallout new Vegas this is a good game but not as long as the older one Fallout 3. In the story, you play as a baby to start with and the world and had a war and in the war, an atomic bomb was used. A war so big that most people live in Vault underground you live in this vault with your dad and you see his life in the Vault for a bit of his life. Then your dad has gone missing he has left the Vault and is not around. You wake up and you are trying to find your dad, you get told by a friend that your dad has left the vault and you need to find him you try to leave the Vault the leader of the vault will not let you so you end up fighting your way out of the vault you leave all your friends and start trying to find your dad as you leave the vault you see the world as a waste land form the war. At this point, you can change the story and there are many things you can do you change the story from this point. As you walk around the wasteland, you meet people and you fight people who will try to kill you and there are monsters that will try to kill you as well but the idea of the game is to live and not die. And some point in the game depending on how you did the story you will find your dad who is trying to make you drink the water from a lake you help your dad do this but again you don
  41. Jan 30, 2011
    A fun game, however one has to remember that it is a ROLE-PLAYING game. This is a VERY hard game to role-play. I'm still waiting on two perks to be released for it, one that reduces the chance of random crashes by 10%, and the other that makes the NPCs talk like they haven't had their brains replaced by bicycle pumps.
  42. Apr 27, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = This game has frozen on me a total of 36 times, but you know what?? Despite all of it's issues it still manages to be one of the best games ever made!! Excellent atmosphere, amazing design.
  43. ColinM
    Jan 30, 2009
    I was really looking forward to buying this game since of all the good reception its been receiving. I got a few days ago, and frankly I'm disappointed. The graphics are pretty good, but not mind-blowing. The HUD sucks though and is pretty unimaginative. The quests are okay but can get sometimes get linear. And don't even get me started on the charatcer animation and physics. I was really looking forward to buying this game since of all the good reception its been receiving. I got a few days ago, and frankly I'm disappointed. The graphics are pretty good, but not mind-blowing. The HUD sucks though and is pretty unimaginative. The quests are okay but can get sometimes get linear. And don't even get me started on the charatcer animation and physics. Absolute garbage. The character looks like he is "skating over the terrain" in third person view. The background story is pretty nice. And the enemy variety is okay. I hate the Super Mutants however, those guys have serious issues. Oh. and the glitches. LOTS AND LOTS of glitches. Would I recommend this game to someone. Hmmmm.... I would actually have to say yes. But you need a lot of patience. A LOT OF PATIENCE to get past the annoying glitches and the boring beginning. Overall, 7.7/10 Expand
  44. maxs
    Oct 11, 2009
    Note to all who gave it bad ratings- Some people just don't like role playing games, and that doesn't mean that people should rate it badly just because you dont like rpgs in the first place. To the person who said that the size of the game overwhelmes you, that is just your problem because last time I checked, role playing games are suposed to be huge, otherwise there is not Note to all who gave it bad ratings- Some people just don't like role playing games, and that doesn't mean that people should rate it badly just because you dont like rpgs in the first place. To the person who said that the size of the game overwhelmes you, that is just your problem because last time I checked, role playing games are suposed to be huge, otherwise there is not much to do. To the person who said that this game just goes by the system, ("swing till you kill"), that is the exact same thing as a fps, which is probably all you play, based on the rating you gave this game. ( don't worry, I love cod 4). My point from all of this is dont need to trash a game's user rating, which a lot of people use to decide whether to buy a game, just because you are not a role playing game person. I don't care that you don't like rpg's ( I am a big fps fan and rpg fan), just dont trash a games score over it. ( a zero, seriously!) Expand
  45. PhilipB
    Nov 7, 2009
    All in all, this is a pretty good game, however, it has flaws so serious that I don't understand how people are able to ignore them and just give the game a 10 anyway. Good points: the graphics are top notch, which the exception being character animations, which overall looks as bad as Oblivion(sliding walks, gravity defying jumps, people are stiff while talking, etc). Atmosphere is All in all, this is a pretty good game, however, it has flaws so serious that I don't understand how people are able to ignore them and just give the game a 10 anyway. Good points: the graphics are top notch, which the exception being character animations, which overall looks as bad as Oblivion(sliding walks, gravity defying jumps, people are stiff while talking, etc). Atmosphere is great. Sound and music are generally good, though there is little to none location-specific music. Main quest story is also decent, but not very good. /// Bad points: the combat system is very shallow, in fact, most of the time you'll just get as close as possible to enemies, activate VATS and repeatedly click in their heads, then dodge bullets before you can use VATS again, and since your character has a world record in reloading weapons(seriously, in VATS he can reload a gun in less than two seconds), there's little tactical choice between weapons except which does the most damage; in other words, don't expect to find Halo or CoD-level firefights here. The dialogue is poor, in fact, I'd say 90% of the dialogue is bland, not particulary interesting or funny. Voice acting is also rather mediocre, except for a few notable occasions. /// All in all, it's difficult to say Fallout 3 is a good game because neither the combat or the RPG side are particularly good, so I'm forced to give the game a 7, even though I enjoyed it. Expand
  46. Sep 9, 2010
    A wonderfully immersive game. If you're looking for an escape from reality for a good month or so pick this game up. Sometimes while playing I became sidetracked from where I intended to go and ended up exploring a random building for hours without realizing how much time went by. The introduction of the VATS allows the player to get much more use and variation from the many differentA wonderfully immersive game. If you're looking for an escape from reality for a good month or so pick this game up. Sometimes while playing I became sidetracked from where I intended to go and ended up exploring a random building for hours without realizing how much time went by. The introduction of the VATS allows the player to get much more use and variation from the many different weapons in the game, increasing the depth of the story and the fallout world. The character development will be different for those (like myself) who played the game after all the DLC came out. I was able to level up my character evenly although it is possible to level up first as a stealthy sniper or a brutal close range melee fighter (to name just two) before leveling other attributes. Much like life, everything in this game decays over time. You will always have to fix your equipment and sometimes your companions will die and not come back. My advice is to just sit back and let the game take you where it wants to go. Expand
  47. Nov 5, 2010
    This game is amazing. The world is huge and there is so much to do. I felt like the world was really alive and truly felt like I was in a post-apocalyptic DC. The graphics are great and the music is great. There are some very memorable characters found in Fallout world and overall the story is very good. And the gameplay is great! It is so much fun to explore the wasteland. Do notThis game is amazing. The world is huge and there is so much to do. I felt like the world was really alive and truly felt like I was in a post-apocalyptic DC. The graphics are great and the music is great. There are some very memorable characters found in Fallout world and overall the story is very good. And the gameplay is great! It is so much fun to explore the wasteland. Do not miss this game! Expand
  48. Apr 11, 2011
    A truly great game. Fallout 3 pushed the limits of the sandboxer in the right direction, letting you choose your story. For 2008, this game has excellent graphics, though the Gamebryo engine shows it's age in some places, such as at long draw distance (although, with the size of this game, it's perfectly ignorable). One massive problem I had with the game was the repetitive graphics. ThereA truly great game. Fallout 3 pushed the limits of the sandboxer in the right direction, letting you choose your story. For 2008, this game has excellent graphics, though the Gamebryo engine shows it's age in some places, such as at long draw distance (although, with the size of this game, it's perfectly ignorable). One massive problem I had with the game was the repetitive graphics. There are loads of individual areas, but when you see the same gray corridor 50 times, you get lost, and it gets samey. And the biggest fault this game has, is mapping. You are told to go from point A to point B, in a straight line. There is a wall. You go around. More walls. Your supposed to be in a Metro station, going through tunnels that are not mapped on the world map at this point. I've seen people give up on the game over this frustrating flaw, but a quick google or some persistence will get you there. But, Fallout's individuality is unique, and if you can get past the initial difficult start, it offers a huge, immersive gameplay experience. Oh, and for the current price, it's worth grabbing the GOTY edition - you get a lot of new features and a fair bit of extra, and fresh, gameplay hours. (And on a cheeky note, New Vegas is basically this game. In New Vegas. And for my money, this adventure is by far the better of the two) Expand
  49. Oct 23, 2011
    Fallout 3 is an amazing game, with so many choices to make, quests and extra DLC to play and a variety of weapons, companions and essentials to choose from. An easy 10/10.
  50. May 30, 2013
    Fallout 3 is a wonderful game and has a classy feel every time I play it. While exploring may be disappointing because everything is destroyed, I still had a lot of fun looking around the ruined world. A lot of skill trees to level up so it makes great replay value and I've put in about 120 hours into it. It's still has its fair share of glitches, but I can't be too harsh on it. DefinitelyFallout 3 is a wonderful game and has a classy feel every time I play it. While exploring may be disappointing because everything is destroyed, I still had a lot of fun looking around the ruined world. A lot of skill trees to level up so it makes great replay value and I've put in about 120 hours into it. It's still has its fair share of glitches, but I can't be too harsh on it. Definitely worth picking up. Expand
  51. EricL
    Feb 18, 2010
    I really don't get what's so good about this. Before you think it, no I am not one of those guys who hate mainstream games just because they're popular; I can backup my argument. First, I'll discuss the graphics. Besides Persona on the PSP, this has the worst graphical presentation I've ever seen in a game. It's just a bunch of bricks and trash and vomit that I really don't get what's so good about this. Before you think it, no I am not one of those guys who hate mainstream games just because they're popular; I can backup my argument. First, I'll discuss the graphics. Besides Persona on the PSP, this has the worst graphical presentation I've ever seen in a game. It's just a bunch of bricks and trash and vomit that all look the same throughout the game. You don't get too much music throughout the game, either. If you turn on the radio you hear civil war music, even though it's supposed to be 1950-ish. SNOOOOORRRRREEE. The enemy design is cool, though. Another thing wrong with this game is the level design. I've played Onechanbara, I've played Nocturne, I've played ODST, but this game has the worst level design of any game I have (and I've got millions). The biggest problems are that you can't tell if you're going the right way, and there is NEVER ANY COVER!! You could argue that they were trying to simulate a realistic enviroment, but that's a broken argument. Grand Theift Auto 4 is realistic and open-worlded and you can still take cover pretty well, there. Also, if this is supposed to be a dangerouse post-appocolyptic world, you think someone would put something up for defence incase of an ambush. If you run into enemys, you'll have to back up into an empty room for cover or take them head on and hope they die before you, which is some wishful thinking because your weapons are crazy inacurate and do as much dammage as throwing balls of tissues and lint at them. They also break, which makes them even worse. Everything just sucks. More things I would complain about is that if you're a person who likes getting 100% complete in a game, you're out of luck because you can't. You always have to go through missions, all of which have varying results. They all take too long, too; there's no sence of accomplishment. I can't say too much on the story because I've stopped paying attention to it due to all the other presentation elements. All I know are that the characters you meet are all a bunch of ugly d*ckwads who take offence at anything you say. You have a bunch of boring diolauge trees to painstakingly go through, and if you're discussing a mission, choosing the evil option is always the only one that has any merit. Really? Imagine if in Bioshock the little sisters you don't harvist send you no adam-filled teddy bear for saving them. You're only option would be to kill them all, which is exactly what this game makes you do to everyone if you want to advance. Also, as far as items go, you're not going to have much fun. As I mentioned, they degernerate. Also, the game is scattered with a bunch of trash that you'll never pick up, and the ammo you'll find comes about as frequent as in Resident Evil 4. I generally don't like Western RPGs, but I don't think the problems I have are genre set pieces. The shooting feels like you're moving through a bag of rocks (speaking of which you can barely hold any items), and the overall game structure feels either way to limited, which is bad for a ROLL PLAYING game. At other times the structure feels way to vague, which is different from a sense of freedom. It gets a 1 because the enemy design is good, as I said, and it's fun for about a week. That's it, a week. When you get bored, it is about as fun as getting grenade spammed by a clan of campers in Modern Warfare 2. Just thinking about it makes me sick. IT'S MAKIN ME SICK. Expand
  52. JamalA.
    Oct 10, 2008
    Probably deserves a 9.6 in reality. Played the "specially aquired" version and love it so much I'm definitely going to support Bethesda by buying it on the 28th. The main quest storyline is AMAZING and side quests are plentiful and easily found. My main petpeeve with the game is when you try to play it like a fps. I don't see the point of having a scope if when you take your Probably deserves a 9.6 in reality. Played the "specially aquired" version and love it so much I'm definitely going to support Bethesda by buying it on the 28th. The main quest storyline is AMAZING and side quests are plentiful and easily found. My main petpeeve with the game is when you try to play it like a fps. I don't see the point of having a scope if when you take your time lining up a headshot and the rpg-ish "dice roll" won't count it. Overall, this is a must buy and an obvious game of the year contender. Expand
  53. RichardS.
    Dec 14, 2008
    MIND BOGGLINGLY BORING! If you want to spend hours and hours searching boxes in order to pick up the same old things (scrap metal, hose nozzle, fission battery, abraxo cleaner etc) which you then have to dump because you are overloaded, before travelling to sell them, in order to buy more useless ammo and items, before going searching for more useless items and selling them all over MIND BOGGLINGLY BORING! If you want to spend hours and hours searching boxes in order to pick up the same old things (scrap metal, hose nozzle, fission battery, abraxo cleaner etc) which you then have to dump because you are overloaded, before travelling to sell them, in order to buy more useless ammo and items, before going searching for more useless items and selling them all over again. Utterly pointless and unbelieveably repetitive are the names of the game here. You wander around, shot people in an unsatisfying and unskillful way, collect more junk, sell more junk and then try and get improved junk before repeating it all over again. And again. The 40s music is novel, but the rest of the music and effects is woefully poor. Graphically this game is a disaster. Repetitive, dull and lacking in inspiration. The post-apocalyptic imagery is so boring and uninspired, I wonder if any of them had watched Mad Max, Cherry 2000, A Boy and His Dog etc. The verbal interactions would disgrace a 5 year old's story book. The story is boring and fails to stir. I really wanted to enjoy this, but it is like Oblivion which is just as dull and boring. An awful, overhyped load of garbage. Expand
  54. TerrenceK.
    Feb 1, 2010
    This game casts away all of the interesting strategic elements of the fallout series in favor of creating a slow-paced tactical game. I say strategic, because the old fallout was turn based and very number and detailed based, and now it's run and gun with differences in your character not really affecting much. If you want a strategic game, you would need to play an older fallout This game casts away all of the interesting strategic elements of the fallout series in favor of creating a slow-paced tactical game. I say strategic, because the old fallout was turn based and very number and detailed based, and now it's run and gun with differences in your character not really affecting much. If you want a strategic game, you would need to play an older fallout which has so much more depth to it. If you want a tactical game, play Borderlands which is totally awesome and entertaining while retaining character growth elements of an rpg. An rpg has to have one of these two kinds of combat or perhaps something in between if you want to have in depth planning that have to be properly managed to survive in the heat of battle. They can both be a lot of fun if done right. Fallout 3 chose straight tactical and did a mediocre job of it, requiring a lot of tedious travel and inventory management that barely affected your tactical prowess at all. Expand
  55. MikeRobichau
    Oct 30, 2008
    What game are you guys playing?? This game is horrible. Its slow and targeting system is stupid. This game is the worst game that i have played. Its the biggest disappointed, so much hype and this is it. I have both the 360 and ps3 and have or played every game worth buying or renting and this is the worst and i mean the worst game ever.
  56. WilliamK.S.
    Oct 23, 2009
    This game contains no fun whatsoever, seeing as to how the smallest moves, from eating to walking, require so much advance planning and strategy that any amusement and spontaneity is completely drained from gameplay. Want to engage in some post-apocalyptic combat? I wouldn't recommend it, not with a game engine that suggests you plot your combat down to limb you wish to strike. It This game contains no fun whatsoever, seeing as to how the smallest moves, from eating to walking, require so much advance planning and strategy that any amusement and spontaneity is completely drained from gameplay. Want to engage in some post-apocalyptic combat? I wouldn't recommend it, not with a game engine that suggests you plot your combat down to limb you wish to strike. It actually works this way -- you choose the limb you want to strike. There has never been a more stunningly boring game to play -- or rather, not since "Oblivion," which is based on the same poor game engine. Expand
  57. BenD.
    Feb 2, 2009
    This game is a poor mix of both rpg and fps. Im a huge fan of oblivion and halo3 and the call of duty series, however the blend of mixing the two concepts is tiring and annoying. The first thing i want to do is shoot a straight bullet and not depend on stats that a chose early in the game. The missions are basically the same as all oblivion ones, e.g. talk to someone, find something and This game is a poor mix of both rpg and fps. Im a huge fan of oblivion and halo3 and the call of duty series, however the blend of mixing the two concepts is tiring and annoying. The first thing i want to do is shoot a straight bullet and not depend on stats that a chose early in the game. The missions are basically the same as all oblivion ones, e.g. talk to someone, find something and give it to them, or try snd persuade them. How SHIT!! The random bad guys are so lame, reminds of the bandits or whatever they're called, more like ass bandits. And the supermutants all look identical, thats ridiculous. However good concept a decent story. They should have removed most of the stats involved in shooting, nothing is more frustarting that seeing a bullet miss even though your pointing straight at it. I sent mine back, rip off for something i was expecting to be as good as oblivion or other great fps's. Expand
  58. NamelessUser
    Feb 5, 2009
    What I like about Fallout 3, is the crude beauty of the wasteland. Everything looks so good, that it's hard to believe that it's made with the same engine as Oblivion. (Expect when using melee.) But nothing stays fresh forever, especially not games. So after the first time I completed the game, the only thing that forced me to continue, was Achievements.
  59. AlexH
    Mar 25, 2009
    Fallout 3 is probably one of the worst (hyped up about) games you could waste your money on. 3 contains many of flaws that shouldn't be in a action-role playing game. First, in the first 3 hours of playing the game, you don't shoot anything. Mainly, Fallout 3 provides us with a huge free roam availability (in other words, the free roam is to big that you easily get overwhelmed Fallout 3 is probably one of the worst (hyped up about) games you could waste your money on. 3 contains many of flaws that shouldn't be in a action-role playing game. First, in the first 3 hours of playing the game, you don't shoot anything. Mainly, Fallout 3 provides us with a huge free roam availability (in other words, the free roam is to big that you easily get overwhelmed and search the wrong places in a "mission"). Lastly, Fallout 3 is not very much of a role-playing game its a strategy game, the first 2 hours of playing is doing the GOAT test and talking to people in your vault. Overall Fallout 3 is a waste of money and time. Expand
  60. ShaneP
    Jun 3, 2009
    Interesting environment and the game looks nice but the combat is rather dull. The VATs system turns it into more like a turn based RPG then an FPS/RPG combo since most of the time you can just tell your character to aim for the head and watch as he kills the enemy for you. Far too much of this game is made up of side quests and the main quest is extremely short. This wouldn't be so Interesting environment and the game looks nice but the combat is rather dull. The VATs system turns it into more like a turn based RPG then an FPS/RPG combo since most of the time you can just tell your character to aim for the head and watch as he kills the enemy for you. Far too much of this game is made up of side quests and the main quest is extremely short. This wouldn't be so much of a problem but you can't continue after you've finished the main quest. Most of the side quests are pointless and didn't even seem that fun. Any quest that rewards you with money is pretty much pointless since you don't need to buy anything. since you can loot all the weapons and ammo you need and the best armour is given during the main questline anyway. I actually ended up completing the game at level 13 (the manual has 20 levels in it) without having even seen half of the map. The evil / good levels didn't seem to actually do anything. Despite the fact i was extremely evil the good guys still welcomed me with open arms. Extremely disappointing. Expand
  61. JCar
    Nov 1, 2008
    In defense of Bethesda, many people have said that Fallout 3 manages to capture the spirit of the first two games. To this, I completely agree. That is, until you get to the ending. Once you do, you'll see what I mean. It is in no way even close to the quality of the endings from FO 1, 2 and especially Tactics. Tactics had by far the best ending because it was heavily nuanced and had In defense of Bethesda, many people have said that Fallout 3 manages to capture the spirit of the first two games. To this, I completely agree. That is, until you get to the ending. Once you do, you'll see what I mean. It is in no way even close to the quality of the endings from FO 1, 2 and especially Tactics. Tactics had by far the best ending because it was heavily nuanced and had very many shades of grey. You decided the outcome for several different groups of "people", the direction the Brotherhood would take AND how those ends would be achieved. There were many different images that varied greatly depending on your choices. If you haven't played the game and would like to see what I mean, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ewKOcVW2E Now compare that to the ending of FO 3 if you've finished the game. Not even close is it? Lets look at the numbers shall we? The ending for Tactics is 3:24 long. The similiar "this is what happened" slide show ending for FO 3 is only 2:26 long, ignoring the cutscene. To sum it up, FO 3's ending lacks both the depth and substance of Tactic's or FO 1 and 2's endings as well as the length. In this respect, Bethesda DID NOT capture the "true spirit" of Fallout. Fallout is about a story. A deep, interwoven, complex story with many shades of grey. It engages the player and forces them to consider their actions. Thats part of the games' charm and mass appeal. Fallout 3 did a very poor job of emulating this kind of ending not to mention a shallow story line. I mean really, the "big choices" only really look at one event in the game. "Did s/he do this or not?" On only one event! There is no complex discussion of the consequences of all the other places and people the character interacts with. To try and say otherwise just makes you look like a sad devoted fan/fangirl. Because of this, it is no wonder FO 3 is quickly becomming known as "Oblivion with guns". Not just as a Fallout fan, but also as a critical thinker evaluating the breadth and depth of the story, I can unequivically say that FO 3 does not live up to its predecessors. Yes, it looks amazing, but I value actual quality over a cheap shallow "pretty looking" game. This is why FO 3 is only a "good" game and not a truly "great" game. Its just sad because it wouldn't take that much more effort to do the ending right. I don't know why Bethesda played a great ball game only to drop the ball and lose in the last two minutes of the game. Expand
  62. stevem
    Nov 2, 2008
    i dont understand all the great reviews for this game. sure it may have a great story in thier somewhere and gives you huge amounts of freedom but the A.I. is terrible and the actual gameplay in the fighting is poor in comparision to straight out fps games like cod4. and as for the graphics. they are good in places but in 3rd person mose it looks like your character is not really in thei dont understand all the great reviews for this game. sure it may have a great story in thier somewhere and gives you huge amounts of freedom but the A.I. is terrible and the actual gameplay in the fighting is poor in comparision to straight out fps games like cod4. and as for the graphics. they are good in places but in 3rd person mose it looks like your character is not really in the world. in the 1st person view the guns look terrible and the monsters you fight just look like old.old gen characters and their A.I. is on par with games such as Deus Ex which was a great game in its day but doesnt match up to, say gears of war or call of duty. very dissapointing Expand
  63. NickS.
    Nov 6, 2008
    Play first Fallout and Fallout2 ignoring the graphics and then play Fallout3.Only then you will realise how bad this game is.Most gaming sites have either no idea what they are talking about or have been paid well to write these ridiculous reviews.
  64. HarryG.
    Nov 8, 2008
    An incredibly dull game filled with bugs. I'm surprised that they've released it in the stage that it's in. It's poor animation, terrible models poor conversation/storyline and extremely bad lighting are just a few things that make this game painful to play.
  65. Hraesvelgr
    Dec 2, 2008
    An enjoyable game marred by some of this gen's worst technical flaws so far, as well as generally bad voice acting, some laughable animations and writing that makes even some of the most poorly written JRPGs look brilliant. A step up from Bethesda's previous game, Oblivion, but still lacking compared to Morrowind as well as Fallout and Fallout 2.
  66. MikeR.
    Oct 28, 2008
    It was OK I suppose, nothing too major or nothing but it was like a little bit long in places. Some bits were too short though but me mum said they were a little bit clever like. I like the bit with the v.a.t.s. It was proper bo but a little bit mentalist. i think i could av made it more gnarly rad.
  67. MATTL
    Jan 3, 2009
    Whilst reasonably good for the first half dozen hours, this game, simply put, is boring thereafter. Rank story, truly atrocious. A 5 year old would have a better imagination. If you have played Oblivion, the same putrid glitches in that game plague Fallout 3. In fact, i think the stuttering framerate is even worse in fallout 3. To me this is unforgivable, and why this game is showered Whilst reasonably good for the first half dozen hours, this game, simply put, is boring thereafter. Rank story, truly atrocious. A 5 year old would have a better imagination. If you have played Oblivion, the same putrid glitches in that game plague Fallout 3. In fact, i think the stuttering framerate is even worse in fallout 3. To me this is unforgivable, and why this game is showered with such high praise is completely beyond belief. Even the graphics are just plain dull. Weapons look so crappy that i failed to find ONE which was fun to use. VATS is ok but just an addition that by no means saves this game from being mediocre at best. What the hell happened to games? I thought they were supposed to be fun. BORING!! Expand
  68. RobertL
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hugely ambitious game? Yes! Full of annoying issues? You bet! I really wanted to like this game, but it just has too many tedious and annoying flaws. For example, if you want to be true to a FPS style and forego the V.A.T.S. system... GOOD LUCK. You'll waste all your ammo and be very frustrated at how slowly things die. Secondly... why does ammo no have any weight, but everything Hugely ambitious game? Yes! Full of annoying issues? You bet! I really wanted to like this game, but it just has too many tedious and annoying flaws. For example, if you want to be true to a FPS style and forego the V.A.T.S. system... GOOD LUCK. You'll waste all your ammo and be very frustrated at how slowly things die. Secondly... why does ammo no have any weight, but everything else does? At one point I was overburdened and couldn't run anymore... so what did I do? I dropped a single PAPER CUP from my inventory and viola... I'm running again. I was like WTF? you can't be serious!!! Also, I couldn't stand the fact that it autosaves in the worst possible spots, forcing you to restart the game if you forget to manually save every few minutes. I kept getting stuck in the middle of a fire-fight where I would die and then re-spawn in the the middle of batter, unable to run away or survive more than a few seconds. It was ridiculous and I had to restart the game just to recover from it. Very annoying. After a while, all these little issues started adding up to the point where playing was even fun anymore... it was just tedious and annoying. Expand
  69. AlexC.
    Mar 15, 2009
    Very average game. The world is big, yes, but that's about the only good thing about this RPG. The main problems are: low res textures and jagged surfaces everywhere; bland looking faces and horrible animations; horribly bland and repetitive environments; equally repetitive quests; completely forgettable characters; below average voice acting of most of the in-game characters; the Very average game. The world is big, yes, but that's about the only good thing about this RPG. The main problems are: low res textures and jagged surfaces everywhere; bland looking faces and horrible animations; horribly bland and repetitive environments; equally repetitive quests; completely forgettable characters; below average voice acting of most of the in-game characters; the game has countless bugs such as pop-in and game freezing and things that disappear in front of you; the third person view (optional) is the most horrible 3rd person view I've ever seen (even most homebrew games do this better) you will get bored having to open thousands of random containers in the game just to discover they are empty or contain something useless; the enemy AI is horrible, they just run at you and shoot; the weapons are for the most part very boring and contain no upgrade system aside from how your own stats affect them and the fact that they (very annoyingly) degrade; you are forced to use a roll-the-dice type system to shoot something as shooting from FPS view just doesn't work; most characters in the game all look and behave the same... I could go on and on. Mass Effect was an incredible game -- huge, with a great storyline and great action and characters you got to care about. Fallout 3 is nothing of the sort. Bethesda should have given the money they spent on making this game to another developer... almost any other developer could have done a better job than this with the amount of money and time that was spent on it. I do not understand why the gaming press decided this was such a good game. Believe me, it is not, unless your idea of fun is wandering around a huge world opening things to see if they have things of interest when 99% of the time they do not, and doing pointless quests following forgettable prompts by cardboard characters. I did play this game all the way through, and it did have a few enjoyable moments like but it was mediocre fun at best. The ending was just as anticlimactic as the game itself. Strongly recommend a rental if you are still seriously considering this. If you haven't already and like action RPGs, buy Mass Effect, the most underrated game on the 360, instead. Expand
  70. AnonYmous
    Jun 1, 2009
    I REALLY wanted to like this game and had no idea I would end up despising it. I hate this game for a couple reasons. 1. After playing this game for a few hours, mostly unimpressed (except for the behemoth I fought, that was pretty bad ass, and I also liked the 50s music) I made my way to whatever that ghoul town in the museum was called; at this point I'm getting bored, but hell I I REALLY wanted to like this game and had no idea I would end up despising it. I hate this game for a couple reasons. 1. After playing this game for a few hours, mostly unimpressed (except for the behemoth I fought, that was pretty bad ass, and I also liked the 50s music) I made my way to whatever that ghoul town in the museum was called; at this point I'm getting bored, but hell I spent $60 so maybe it will get better. Anyway, I get the contract for the slave, go talk to him, he says he has to take care of something (I'm pretty sure what it is), he walks over to his previous owner's bed as he (the bartender) is getting up to go to work...... and the former just continues standing at the bed. I go to melee (forget which character) and all hell breaks loose so I run away and autosave decides it's important to remember that. So at this point I can't go back to the ghoul town for provisions I require for the mission as they all want me dead... super. 2. There are sever other game ending glitches in this game which is damn inexcusable. I don't understand how this Bethesda can stand behind this product and furthermore, can't understand how it gets such great reviews. 3. Boring landscape, inappropriate invisible boundries 4. Villian graphics were cool, everything else was ugly and bland. If you can overlook all of these superficial flaws, there's also the crappy dialogue and drab storyline to contend with... but if you can overlook all of THAT, this is clearly the best game ever. 4. Expand
  71. AnonymousMC
    Aug 30, 2009
    This is a game that is unlike it's brother, Oblivion. What Oblivion provided (mainly lots of dungeons, lots of quests, and lots of cities) Fallout 3 ignores to the bone!
    After 20 hours of playing (and being partially impressed at this point, a few fun quests, a few sight seeings, ect) I checked my Data log. Only 20 quests completed!
    That can't be right, I went to all of

That can't be right, I went to all of Fallout 3's main cities, which isn't hard because there are only like 4 of them. And only 3 of them can be actually called cities. First off that is BS because the wasteland is so boring that without cities we have no quests or interesting people to talk with.

Paradise had 1 person to officially do a quest with, the rest were just generic "slavers" BORING.

Megaton, the first city you go to has only 2-3 quest givers. With one of those asking you to disable a bomb (which takes 1 second *boring*) and another asking you to fix leaky pipes. Again, very very boring.

The side stories were fun, like the run away android, but despite all the talk the quest could be done really quick.

I didn't like this game. The wasteland was incredibly boring with little side quests that made it worth while. I'm thinking Bethesda's thought process was just giving us the bare BS with weak main story quests and giving the rest up as DLC. lol
  72. AnonymousMC
    Nov 1, 2008
    Once again a game is hyped up so much that reviewers have no choice but to give this a great review. Ill be honest though, i haven't even played this, at least i admit it. My point is though i read about this and ign pretty much said it was the second coming of crist. So i watched videos of it hoping to be blown away and what i saw was an rpg that made shooting an afterthought. IOnce again a game is hyped up so much that reviewers have no choice but to give this a great review. Ill be honest though, i haven't even played this, at least i admit it. My point is though i read about this and ign pretty much said it was the second coming of crist. So i watched videos of it hoping to be blown away and what i saw was an rpg that made shooting an afterthought. I guess we cant expect every shooter to be as smooth as CoD 4. The world looked all the same color to me too and as cool as the time place sounds, walking on rubble in a massive world doesn't look like a blast to me. So i am not really hating on the game despite what you may believe, it just makes me mad with all the hype around games. Gears 2 looks like Gears one but it will get great reviews when any other game is considered unoriginal. I am most disappointed in ign though. Lately their reviews seem so biased its laughable. Consider their scale for this game 90 = 0 100 = 10. They gave it a 9.6 so i consider it a 6 because there was no way they were going into it with an open mind. Who knows maybe this game will grow on me in time but i have learned my lesson with hype. Knights of the Old Republic taught me that lesson, what a joke. my prediction= Amazing story, great graphics, average AI, terrible target system that pauses gameplay, below average shooter. Hm.. has a lot of qualities like Mass Effect and Bioshock. Expand
  73. FredF.
    Nov 12, 2008
    This is a crap game on the XBOX as I have had nothing but problems with it either hanging or rebooting the console. Tried it back at the store and it works fine so they will not refund. It may be my XBOX playing up again. My mate has it on his PS3 and he loves it. My warranty has run out on my XBOX so I will not be able to get it fixed again. Might be time to bin it and get a PS3 or a Wii.
  74. JeffA.
    Nov 1, 2008
    Bethesda is misleading gamers into thinking this is a shooter. It is not. It is a RPG with a sloppy shooter element added on. V.A.T.S. is an interesting concept but it should not take two point blank headshots to kill someone. Free aim is sloppy. The graphics look washed out even in high def and the skin tones are off. Animations are stiff and when speaking to one character, none of the Bethesda is misleading gamers into thinking this is a shooter. It is not. It is a RPG with a sloppy shooter element added on. V.A.T.S. is an interesting concept but it should not take two point blank headshots to kill someone. Free aim is sloppy. The graphics look washed out even in high def and the skin tones are off. Animations are stiff and when speaking to one character, none of the other characters move and thusly look like a painting. If you like RPG's you will like Fallout 3. If you are expecting even a half decent shooter, look elsewhere. Expand
  75. Ryencoke
    Nov 30, 2008
    What an absolute piece of crap. I don't really care what the rest of you think. If you played the first Fallout & the 2nd one, you would understand what I mean. Bethseda I hate you guys. Every game that you have ever made I have disliked heavily. Oblivion, garbage. Morrowind, garbage. And yet we get this game 'Oblivion with guns'. Could you not have fixed the engine? And What an absolute piece of crap. I don't really care what the rest of you think. If you played the first Fallout & the 2nd one, you would understand what I mean. Bethseda I hate you guys. Every game that you have ever made I have disliked heavily. Oblivion, garbage. Morrowind, garbage. And yet we get this game 'Oblivion with guns'. Could you not have fixed the engine? And made it so it wasn't so much like Oblivion? NO you can't. I can't express how mad I am at this game. I got 10 hours in, and it is the very first game that I have ever taken back and sold. I hated it. Graphics were okay, nothing special. Gameplay was Oblivion with guns. And traveling was stupid. Overall I still stand with my disgust to you Bathseda, I hope someone burns your companys building down so we don't have to see your wreck another game franchise. You're the "Uwe Boll" of video games. Expand
  76. SHODAN
    Nov 5, 2008
    In comparison to the earlier Black Isle Studios Fallouts, Bethesda's Fallout has: One-dimensional, illogical and forgettable characters with little to no personality. Simple, linear, unoriginal narrative. Poorly-written narrative. Poorly-written dialogue. Poorly-voiced dialogue. None of the series' trademark moral ambiguity. No real freedom (there are unkillable NPCs, In comparison to the earlier Black Isle Studios Fallouts, Bethesda's Fallout has: One-dimensional, illogical and forgettable characters with little to no personality. Simple, linear, unoriginal narrative. Poorly-written narrative. Poorly-written dialogue. Poorly-voiced dialogue. None of the series' trademark moral ambiguity. No real freedom (there are unkillable NPCs, unavoidable combat etc.). No real choices or consequences. Tactical combat has been removed. Importance of skills/perks/traits removed. Traits removed. Psychologically and emotionally complex quests no longer present. Nuclear power was a feared thing in post-apocalyptic Fallout, and the issue was dealt with intelligently with much subtle social commentary. In Fallout 3, you can shoot nuclear-powered cars with your nuclear catapult (early in the game...), in a town built around an unexploded nuclear bomb. Fallout 3 fails to deal with any of the interesting human issues that Fallout did. The game lacks any semblance of thoughtfulness. It's also shorter. And easier. The game abuses and contradicts established lore. Fallout 3 fails to even pathetically imitate it's decade-old predecessors' design, originality or meaningfullness. Let alone exceed it. Even when considered, unfairly, outside the context of being a sequel, it is an exceptionally arrogant, incompetent and poorly designed game all on its own. The animations are clunky and awkward. AI is atrocious. Combat is awkward. World textures and character models are ugly and lacking. Art direction is poor. Much of the crowded (who would have thought nuclear winter would be so claustrophobic?) "wasteland" is sloppily and lazily copy-pasted from place to place. The musical score is uninspired and in the style of LOTR-esque epic-fantasy (in fact it sounds very similar to Oblvion...) - which is completely inappropriate in this game's setting. To top it off, the whole thing is buggy and poorly optimized. And Bethesda's attitude towards the original games' fans has been utterly pathetic. Expand
  77. ElizabethR
    Dec 1, 2008
    I was extremely excited to play this game, but after the first four or so hours of walking around, I became quite bored. I started out doing side quests so that I would be able to handle the main quests better, and they really didn't capture my interest. I decided to start playing the main quests and was instantly pulled in. I especially loved how the father's mannerisms were I was extremely excited to play this game, but after the first four or so hours of walking around, I became quite bored. I started out doing side quests so that I would be able to handle the main quests better, and they really didn't capture my interest. I decided to start playing the main quests and was instantly pulled in. I especially loved how the father's mannerisms were modelled after Liam Neeson. The main story itself is also pretty dynamic. However, the end completely killed it for me. I am beyond upset at how anti-climactic it was. I had prepared myself to fight an army, and only got to battle a dozen or so enclave soldiers. The final quest literally took me no more than ten minutes to complete. If you like Oblivion, as I do, you will probably find this game enjoyable. Just don't expect a satisfying or rewarding ending. Expand
  78. CharlesW.
    Dec 2, 2008
    I really wanted to like this game, I did. However, This has turned out to be such a disappointment. I found the game to be very boring, from the story to the game play. I would suggest renting before you buy. It feels like oblivion all over again, and that's not a good thing. It wasn't terrible, but don't fall for the hype.
  79. JamesR
    Dec 29, 2008
    As per the recommendation of one of my friends to buy this game as it was descibed as "Oblivion with guns", I was expecting a game to be of similar caliber as Oblivion. Boy, was I wrong. I haven't played the first two Fallout game so I can't compare it to them, but from a standpoint of someone who is completely new to the series, I can say that this game was mildly enjoyable at As per the recommendation of one of my friends to buy this game as it was descibed as "Oblivion with guns", I was expecting a game to be of similar caliber as Oblivion. Boy, was I wrong. I haven't played the first two Fallout game so I can't compare it to them, but from a standpoint of someone who is completely new to the series, I can say that this game was mildly enjoyable at best. The first gripe that I have about this game is the short and anticlimactic plotline. In fact, the entire game seemed like it was rushed out for the holiday season. The landscape is completely devoid of any interesting features and the graphics, a slight improvement over Oblivion's, did not help that problem at all. I often found myself traveling the entire landscape just to find enough money to keep my weapons loaded for 2 opponents. Moreover, the lack of viable transportation other than walking and fast travel turned out to be a pain in the long run and was probably on purpose to extend the poor excuse of a mail plotline. Expand
  80. FPSMaster
    Oct 29, 2008
    Slightly above average game. People that say it's nothing like Oblivion are just lying to themselves so they'lll feel they are playing a new game from Bethesda instead of what it basically a PC mod of that 2 1/2 year old game. Take Oblivion, exchange swords for guns, exchange magic for the VATS targeting system, exchange foliage for blown out buildings, switch around the Slightly above average game. People that say it's nothing like Oblivion are just lying to themselves so they'lll feel they are playing a new game from Bethesda instead of what it basically a PC mod of that 2 1/2 year old game. Take Oblivion, exchange swords for guns, exchange magic for the VATS targeting system, exchange foliage for blown out buildings, switch around the upgrading and menu system, make everything brown and here you go. Not to mention it looks below average with tons of pop-in (Farcry 2 had much more detail with much less pop-in and all with foliage everywhere and had just as big of a world) and there is no A.I. Everyone just runs straight at you whether carrying a long range rifle or not. The enemies seem to look too cartoony and feel out of place such as the big guys toting chain guns. They look like something from the game Jericho, as do most every other non-human enemy. The rest are standard Oblivion-ish bugs which are getting annoying this far into the console generation. Everything looks the same and is all brown which may be because everything is in post nuclear fallout, but every area looks the same except for the big D.C. landmarks and grates quickly. I'll play it until Gears 2 releases but then it's gone. I hated Oblivion and always thought if it was designed with guns then I could get into it. Well, I was wrong. The shooting in this game sucks whether using real-time or the targeting system. This game does't know whether it wants to be a shooter or an RPG which proves they shouln't have marketed it as anything but an RPG. They knew shooter fans would buy and it be duped, and it worked on some. I knew it to be an RPG all along, but the combat in the game is still centered around guns and is utterly broken. The rest is rehased ideas that all but the biggest RPG geels grew tired of 2 1/2 years ago. Expand
  81. SantiagoR
    Dec 5, 2009
    The city map is grate, but the story and RPG side is poor there is a limit of 20 points level and fights are shallow. Too much time wasted exploring places. It lacks the dynamic and RPG characteristics from its predecessors.
  82. Mike
    Mar 21, 2009
    I like some aspects of this game and didn't like others, I am an original Fallout fan but I judged this game on it's own merits as if it wasn't a Fallout game at all. The reason for my score is simple, the game was bugged into unplayability. After about 20+ hours of roaming the wasteland, having fun but being disappointed in the dialogue and story, I was unable to progress. I like some aspects of this game and didn't like others, I am an original Fallout fan but I judged this game on it's own merits as if it wasn't a Fallout game at all. The reason for my score is simple, the game was bugged into unplayability. After about 20+ hours of roaming the wasteland, having fun but being disappointed in the dialogue and story, I was unable to progress. Upon trying to enter the vicinity of Jefferson Memorial (which is required to beat the game) my game crashed, I reloaded and tried again... crash. I then shrugged and went to a backup save (I always keep several) made my way back and got the same result. I tried every save I had, even going back several hours, and I still could not escape the bug. It's clear that something is seriously wrong with this game, Bethesda had no excuse for releasing this in it's present state and I doubt they will patch it beyond what is necessary to sell more DLC. Oh and I also found other people online who had the same problem so I know it isn't a 1 in a 1000000 bug. I would advise anyone who really wants to play this to get the PC version as I'm sure fans will patch it into playability, as Bethesda relies on. Don't buy console versions from a company known for making buggy games and not fixing them, it seems they still haven't learned their lesson. Expand
  83. PhilM.
    May 11, 2009
    9/10? You honestly believe this game is 10% away from being PERFECT? This game had all of Oblivion's horrible animations. It was just a reskin. The whole sliding walk cycles, defying gravity crouch walking, and the stupid AI and extraodinarily deep combat "swing repeatedly to kill". How epic, you fight giant cockroaches, and the "advanced" facial animation, what with auto-lip sync? 9/10? You honestly believe this game is 10% away from being PERFECT? This game had all of Oblivion's horrible animations. It was just a reskin. The whole sliding walk cycles, defying gravity crouch walking, and the stupid AI and extraodinarily deep combat "swing repeatedly to kill". How epic, you fight giant cockroaches, and the "advanced" facial animation, what with auto-lip sync? So unpolished. Looks like it was made by QANTM students. I hate the whole, pick up every item you see. How many police uniforms do you need? Oh but that's "interactivity" isn't it. Expand
  84. Barry
    Nov 24, 2008
    Eric, the main quest is linear. You've obviously never played Fallout or Fallout 2. *compared to Fallout 1/2* the combat IS less tactical. You really _cannot_ reasonably rationalize the nuclear cars, eithe. First of all, putting a bullet in a reactor wouldn't initiate a fission chain reaction. It doesn't make sense. If it did then a simple car accident would causeEric, the main quest is linear. You've obviously never played Fallout or Fallout 2. *compared to Fallout 1/2* the combat IS less tactical. You really _cannot_ reasonably rationalize the nuclear cars, eithe. First of all, putting a bullet in a reactor wouldn't initiate a fission chain reaction. It doesn't make sense. If it did then a simple car accident would cause large-scale nuclear devastation. To say this makes sense indicates that you really are a blind fanboy. Furthermore people would not *choose* to build a town around a live nuke. Nuclear winter has worn off after 200 years? Why are there still wooden houses standing after all this time. Hell, they weren't even in Fallout 1/2. Your point about World of Warcraft would make a little sense if World of Warcraft had been marketed as "Warcraft 4". Expand
  85. AlexHagani
    Dec 27, 2008
    INSANELY BOING!!!!! Thank you Richard S. for agreeing, this game is horrendous, the game auto-saves every two seconds and the beginning of the game is a waste of time! I was insanely disappointed when I bought this game. Instead of wasting your money on this piece of electronic crap go out and get "Gears of War 2" (which is a great game), or "Left 4 Dead" which is supposed to be alsoINSANELY BOING!!!!! Thank you Richard S. for agreeing, this game is horrendous, the game auto-saves every two seconds and the beginning of the game is a waste of time! I was insanely disappointed when I bought this game. Instead of wasting your money on this piece of electronic crap go out and get "Gears of War 2" (which is a great game), or "Left 4 Dead" which is supposed to be also great. This game is a waste of money, and time! Expand
  86. Sep 22, 2010
    Highly entertaining and immersive. Though it is just like Oblivion in that you need to be able to get immersed into a game to truly enjoy all that Fallout has to offer. My only issues are the bugs, occasional lag, and the excessive amount of subways... oh and Megaton is the only cool city.
  87. Nov 21, 2010
    This game is good, but it falls short of great. It offers an interesting world that can be freely explored, and a story that is bolstered with strong dialogue and interesting character choices. The main problem is the excessive tedium required to find one's way through a lot of these maps. Any indoor/underground map instantly becomes a pain. Instead of the player having separateThis game is good, but it falls short of great. It offers an interesting world that can be freely explored, and a story that is bolstered with strong dialogue and interesting character choices. The main problem is the excessive tedium required to find one's way through a lot of these maps. Any indoor/underground map instantly becomes a pain. Instead of the player having separate two-dimensional maps for each level of a given three-dimensional structure, each level is mapped onto one single two-dimensional image. This makes navigating indoors using the map almost completely pointless, and adds hours and hours to the game that consist of nothing but wandering in exasperation. Overland/outdoor exploration, on the other hand, is an absolute blast. Expand
  88. Jan 19, 2011
    Its definately not a game for me. I like RPGs and I liked the Elder Scrolls Oblivion, but Fallout 3 is just Oblivion in a dull, boring world with far less to do and boring combat(VATS...Wow). The games storyline is nothing special and the secondary missions arent that great either but are better than the story itself, (one highlight though was destroying Megaton). Anyway if you like thisIts definately not a game for me. I like RPGs and I liked the Elder Scrolls Oblivion, but Fallout 3 is just Oblivion in a dull, boring world with far less to do and boring combat(VATS...Wow). The games storyline is nothing special and the secondary missions arent that great either but are better than the story itself, (one highlight though was destroying Megaton). Anyway if you like this apocolyptic **** then go ahead have fun, at least that will make one of us. Expand
  89. Oct 16, 2010
    This game was amazing. There is just so many things to do in Fallout 3. I have personally already played this game, and all the DLC:s through many times, and I still love them.Fallout 3 may actually be my favorite game of all time.If you own an Xbox 360,PS3 or a good PC,you must buy this game.
  90. Dec 14, 2010
    Ok I'll give Fallout the well-did story adn the pretty cool VATS system, but it's just a gimmick. The entireity of the combat seems based around VATS considering it's much harder to shoot a gun than in your average shooter (Or Mass effect, A stellar RPG). Sorry but you can't win a high rating on story alone. As for the graphics... it's mixed. Yes, some of the characters look cool and theOk I'll give Fallout the well-did story adn the pretty cool VATS system, but it's just a gimmick. The entireity of the combat seems based around VATS considering it's much harder to shoot a gun than in your average shooter (Or Mass effect, A stellar RPG). Sorry but you can't win a high rating on story alone. As for the graphics... it's mixed. Yes, some of the characters look cool and the giant view of the wasteland is sometimes nice but the human face looks horrible on this game, and the wasteland can look rather blocky sometimes. Also the game seems too slow to start up and you run out of ammo too quickly in this game. Finally, I gor tires of walking all over the same looking terrain over and over and over... I know it's the capital but does it have to be so big and boring? Aside form the odd settlement I walk across there is nothing in this place, not ven any treasure or cool items, just an annoying interference that comes from an enemy looking at me from a mile away. I want to do a quest and get to where the action is already! I know I have quick travel but finding new places is such a chore and sometimes quick travel doesn't take me close enough to my want-to-do quest. Sorry guys, but if you want a real fun RPG, get Mass Effect, then Mass Effect 2 so you can transfer your save file over. I love those games. Expand
  91. Dec 22, 2010
    I really, really wanted to like this game but it failed on virtually everything apart from a few praises I can throw at this gaming failure. First the praise : It's a huge game with lots of roaming and places to explore. The criticism: It makes it unplayable at such a slugish pace, over controls designed by a moron which leads to much frustration, battles that are cumbersome and tiresome.I really, really wanted to like this game but it failed on virtually everything apart from a few praises I can throw at this gaming failure. First the praise : It's a huge game with lots of roaming and places to explore. The criticism: It makes it unplayable at such a slugish pace, over controls designed by a moron which leads to much frustration, battles that are cumbersome and tiresome. The Bioshock series did it better - Fact. Expand
  92. Feb 15, 2011
    Fallout 3 is by far one of my favorite games ever, only surpassed by The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The main thing that I took away from the game is the amount of work that went into the art of it - the settings, weapons, costumes, interface, characters, etc. It has a great story and will keep you plenty busy. The only downfall is that it something has some bugs but it more thanFallout 3 is by far one of my favorite games ever, only surpassed by The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The main thing that I took away from the game is the amount of work that went into the art of it - the settings, weapons, costumes, interface, characters, etc. It has a great story and will keep you plenty busy. The only downfall is that it something has some bugs but it more than makes up for it. Expand
  93. Jul 8, 2011
    I was advised by a friend who adores this game to get it myself, I did so, however this game is simply a hyped up modern version of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which is a game I love however Fallout 3 is simply missing something more and it never really hooked me
  94. Aug 20, 2011
    Make no mistake, fallout is as good as good as everyone says. Lots of quests, side quests, enormous game, massive duration, amazing scenery, good voice acting, , great systems that blend together for awesome fighting system and exploration. It's all there, no doubt about it. Then -you ask- why the 8/10 rating, why not 9/10 or 10/10? Well... I can't get myself to give it more to game thatMake no mistake, fallout is as good as good as everyone says. Lots of quests, side quests, enormous game, massive duration, amazing scenery, good voice acting, , great systems that blend together for awesome fighting system and exploration. It's all there, no doubt about it. Then -you ask- why the 8/10 rating, why not 9/10 or 10/10? Well... I can't get myself to give it more to game that is SO SO riddled with bugs as Fallout 3 is. Even after so many patch releases, it's still impossible to make a play trough, without finding yourself overwhelmed by them, one way or the other. If you consult game forums, in different sites, you'll find that if some bugs are generalized and most people will point them, it's also true that almost everyone who played it found exclusive bugs , almost like if there was a hidden bug generator in the game, for each playtrough. I have to say, the first time I played Fallout 3, I had to start over from the begining after 60 hours of gameplay (!) , after suddenly realising that I could not complete the main story quest, because of a bug who prevented the game from recognizing the completion of a simple task , even though I had done it already. I could not do it again, since I had already, and so, the only solution was to start over after 60 hours. That, my friends, can ruin the mood to finish a game. Expand
  95. Nov 9, 2011
    Being a huge Bethesda fan I expected a great deal more. VATS is more annoying than innovative, you can't hardly kill anything without it, slowing down the game. The story is uninteresting, the graphics are okay, but the facial mapping is not the best. And my biggest complaint is the absolutely boring environment, if you travel from one end of the map to the other, good luck telling theBeing a huge Bethesda fan I expected a great deal more. VATS is more annoying than innovative, you can't hardly kill anything without it, slowing down the game. The story is uninteresting, the graphics are okay, but the facial mapping is not the best. And my biggest complaint is the absolutely boring environment, if you travel from one end of the map to the other, good luck telling the difference. It looks looks the same. Even so, the game was entertaining enough to receive a medium score. Expand
  96. Dec 27, 2012
    This game confused me at first, and didn't seem like much. I went thru the early stage then the world was opened up to me, and i just didn't "get it". After coming back and trying it again with guidance from a wiki, I knew where to go, and what to do, and got in to a grove. Choices matter, there's ton of stuff to explore, but you don't need to find everything or do every mission if youThis game confused me at first, and didn't seem like much. I went thru the early stage then the world was opened up to me, and i just didn't "get it". After coming back and trying it again with guidance from a wiki, I knew where to go, and what to do, and got in to a grove. Choices matter, there's ton of stuff to explore, but you don't need to find everything or do every mission if you don't want to. The RPG elements such as growing skills and building/repairing weapons is great for tailoring your gameplay to fit your preference, and the stories and side-quests are actually fun and interesting! The shooting and fighting isn't as tight as say Borderlands, but it holds its own, and the auto-targeting system (again, optional) helps get you out of any annoying jams where you can't catch an enemy in your aim (we're not all Call of Duty, combat ready with the thumbsticks, after all). It's also actually handy to be able to switch between first and third person whenever you wish as well. Try the GOTY version. Expand
  97. Nov 17, 2011
    for what was a very creative and fun game series, fallout NV and 3 set an all time low. Sure, fallout 3 and NV pulled the series to 3d and open, and i admit it was kind of fun, but that fun was ruined by the major bugs, freezes, glitches and crashes i experienced on my copy. it happened on my PC,ps3 and 360 copies so its not my system. This is a very crap game that does not deserve afor what was a very creative and fun game series, fallout NV and 3 set an all time low. Sure, fallout 3 and NV pulled the series to 3d and open, and i admit it was kind of fun, but that fun was ruined by the major bugs, freezes, glitches and crashes i experienced on my copy. it happened on my PC,ps3 and 360 copies so its not my system. This is a very crap game that does not deserve a sequel. If 4 gets made, it must not be developed by obsidian and not use that crap gamebryo engine. I cant even tell you how bad the DLC makes it. Its unplayable after 3 hours gameplay. its like it purposly freezes to tick you off! Expand
  98. Dec 21, 2011
    This game is so overrated in my opinion. Yes, the world is very open, and yes, there is lots of things to do.

However, the world is very bleak, everything is either grey, brown or yellow (except for the interface, which is green). You might say that it fits the lore, and I say that it does not. Look at Chernobyl for example, despite the nuclear incident, grass has overgrown the entire area! Why is there no vegetation in the world, when plants can deal with radiation several times better than humans? The game has alot of content, but that is very unvaried content and the game is very ugly. They could have been alot more creative with the setting.
  99. Feb 17, 2012
    This game doesn't deserve even a 1. You may spend a ,long time walking from one side of the map to the other, only then to feel de ja vu, as you are sure you have just been here, and the reason for that is, you have. The whole map looks the same with little variation, Voice acting in this game is horrendous and is a bore, making it unbearable to go of trying to find side quests, which areThis game doesn't deserve even a 1. You may spend a ,long time walking from one side of the map to the other, only then to feel de ja vu, as you are sure you have just been here, and the reason for that is, you have. The whole map looks the same with little variation, Voice acting in this game is horrendous and is a bore, making it unbearable to go of trying to find side quests, which are boring in themselves, and the story is boring and also a lot of the people in this game say exactly the same thing making the experience even more dull and boring. fair enough I haven't completed the story and it may get better towards the end but, because of the games flaws I don't think i will ever be able to reach the end, One more thing, within the 10 hours that I have played this game it has crashed my xbox 4 times, giving me no choice than to turn off my xbox and turn it back on reverting to my last save which can be a long time ago. a waste of my time and my money. Expand
  100. May 27, 2012
    This game seems so overated. Yeah, I bet the game is deep, etc. But the combat is so clunky. It made the game unplayable for me. the graphics and setting isnt that great either...Its really bland and depressing.

1. Fallout 3 is an experience in itself, and while it may not offer as much replay value as Oblivion, it’s so much more then an “Oblivion with guns”.
    From the hollow wind blowing down through subway tunnels, to the radioactive dust clouds swirling throughout the wasteland, up to the buzzards circling the encampment where the bodies of 30 slave traders lie; Fallout 3 is as much a game as it is a training sim for the coming apocalypse.
  3. In fact, Fallout 3 is leaner and meaner than Bethesda's previous efforts, less expansive but more intense, while still offering immense replay value and quite a few thrills along the way.