6.2

1. Oct 19, 2014
    Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money is disappointing for being the game's first dlc. This dlc has so much potential but isn't executed correctly. Wondering around an abandoned ghost villa and unexplored casino seems like quite the adventure, but it's so flawed. You lose all your belongings when you start the dlc, so you have to scavenge all your supplies, which are very scarce, the enemies areFallout: New Vegas - Dead Money is disappointing for being the game's first dlc. This dlc has so much potential but isn't executed correctly. Wondering around an abandoned ghost villa and unexplored casino seems like quite the adventure, but it's so flawed. You lose all your belongings when you start the dlc, so you have to scavenge all your supplies, which are very scarce, the enemies are very hard, and the villa is contaminated with a toxic cloud that makes you lose health constantly. VATS is very buggy for me where you enter the system and your character just stands frozen for like thirty seconds while the enemy is beating on you. The biggest complaint is that once you leave the area, you can't comeback again. I wasn't aware of this until I left. It made me angry because I still needed to grab some more items and get the exclusive snowglobe. The only positive things I can say is that the characters are very well done and are interesting, and the ending reward is amazing. This dlc isn't terrible, it just has a lot of issues that should have been changed before it was released. Expand
  2. Feb 5, 2014
    This DLC was amazing and shocking. I went from being a fearless god in the desert to a nobody who had to hide and skulk from enemies. It was awesome. Great story and characters.
  3. Oct 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible attempt at gameplay with a story that might be interesting if you weren't too pissed off to pay attention.. Your head explodes a lot (in the game, though it feels like it might in real life after a while), the only interesting part of the gameplay is removed through a perk, and the ending mission is almost entirely trial and error rather than anything that remotely involves skill. Well, unless skill involves finding randomly placed traps whose areas of effect overlap. Go buy Old World Blues or Lonesome Road instead. Hell, buy Honest Hearts if you have that much money to burn. Just avoid Dead Money unless you are either a completionist or a masochist. Expand
  4. Sep 20, 2013
    Dead Money offers players 6-7 hours of extra gameplay, but they may not be the most enjoyable hours Fallout: New Vegas has to offer. The Sierra Madre casino is dark and eerie, which is a nice change to the bright and open expanses of the Mojave Desert, but this novelty soon wears off and the alleys of the villa soon become dreary and navigating the place becomes a chore. The finale of theDead Money offers players 6-7 hours of extra gameplay, but they may not be the most enjoyable hours Fallout: New Vegas has to offer. The Sierra Madre casino is dark and eerie, which is a nice change to the bright and open expanses of the Mojave Desert, but this novelty soon wears off and the alleys of the villa soon become dreary and navigating the place becomes a chore. The finale of the DLC drags on slightly too long and the boss battle is underwhelming.

The characters of Dead Money are better. Christine, Dean Domino and God are interesting new characters and your interactions with them have a profound effect later on, which was a great feeling. In other words, piss one of them off and they're not going to do you any favours later on. Elijah is a fairly unremarkable villain, however. A stand out was the back-story of the casino, which was a nice touch.

New gameplay additions include a few new, fairly run-off-the-mill weapons, sturdy Ghost People enemies and various annoyances. These annoyances include radios and speakers which can blow your head off, and invincible hologram enemies that shoot lasers. The former are infuriating from the start but I personally found the holograms sinister and scary, complimenting the overall atmosphere the DLC tries to create. Overall, Dead Money is the worst Fallout: New Vegas DLC and is nowhere near essential even for a die-hard fan.
  5. Aug 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a HUGE fan of the Fallout games i figured that Dead Money was gonna do justice of having to survive. In this DLC you get 3 new companions and a new storyline through the area of the Sierra Madre casino. The storyline was pretty well set up as you are knocked out and put into the villa outside the casino and forced to go through fighting "ghost people". Stimpaks are limited as are other healing items. Radios and speakers are a challenge to find and destroy because they are hidden and annoyingly scattered around the area. level cap gets increased by 5 and you get to bring back some loot (isn't really good loot though). enemies are annoyingly hard to kill if melee isn't up high, fast travel is unavailable, and also the ending just wasn't good because you panic to leave the area for any closure. this is a good dlc with a well brought up story but wasn't really fun and felt like a boring chore to go through with alot of back tracking. Expand
  6. Aug 5, 2013
    When someone mentions Dead Money all I can do is sigh. The three characters you meet are some of the coolest characters in the game, and the area looks outstanding. Surprisingly, this DLC haunts me to this day. When you walk into the cloud, you can't worry about the cloud, because you're worrying about the ghosts, but you can't worry about the ghosts because there's bear traps everywhere,When someone mentions Dead Money all I can do is sigh. The three characters you meet are some of the coolest characters in the game, and the area looks outstanding. Surprisingly, this DLC haunts me to this day. When you walk into the cloud, you can't worry about the cloud, because you're worrying about the ghosts, but you can't worry about the ghosts because there's bear traps everywhere, and you can't worry about the bear traps because your collar is beeping. It will drive you nuts. By the last hour of the game, you just want to get the prize and go. If you like difficulty, you'll love this. If you don't, good luck. Expand
  7. May 29, 2013
    Dead Money is bar none the most frustrating DLC that I've ever played. It may be the most frustrating segment of any game I've ever played and it's certainly the most frustrating that I've ever finished. The fact that it's a DLC makes it all the more frustrating since you can't get back to the main part of FNV until you're done with Dead Money.

So, first and foremost, SAVE BEFORE YOU

So, first and foremost, SAVE BEFORE YOU START DEAD MONEY! Otherwise, there's a small but real chance that half way through you'll find yourself wondering whether it's better to start FNV all over rather than finish Dead Money.

What makes this so frustrating? Where to start? First things first: Dead Money plays differently than the rest of FNV. That's not necessarily a bad thing (just usually), but it must be noted. Now, when you enter the Sierra Madre Villa (the area outside the Sierra Madre casino) you are stripped of all your weapons and equipment (excluding quest items--keep that in mind). This is almost always a bad idea, but Dead Money handles it as well as possible, giving you the new rules of the game right upfront. 1) you have a slave collar around your neck and it will explode it you get too close to any speaker. They'll beep first, so there's some warning. 2) the are clouds of poisonous gas all around and they'll kill you if you stand in them. 3) The villa's filled with "ghost people" (people in dark biohazardesque suits that WON'T STAY DEAD!! unless you blow off a limb). Sounds cool right? So why is it so frustrating? 1) the villa is all very similar in architecture and thus difficult to navigate 2) There are traps everywhere. Everywhere! 3) The gas clouds: deadly, impossible to see through and just a general hinderance. Add in the fact that beartraps are often located in the impossible to see through, but killing-you-as-you-disarm-the-trap gas, and controllers will fly. But the biggest frustration comes from 4) Speakers. Are. Terrible. They are everywhere and clustered together. So you'll walk out of range of one speaker only to be a step from being in the range of another. Or they overlap completely. And they are often impossible to see. And they seem to be placed at random.

Some other gripes: Ghost people are actually pretty creepy and force you to adopt new strategies until you almost immediately get a perk that keeps them from coming back from the dead (unless you already have the bloody mess perk, then they're almost no different than non-ghost people.)

Also, while you're required to get three companions in order to break in to the casino, they don't really do anything to help you break in. At least not anything on screen. So you're hopes of pulling an Ocean's Eleven FNV-style are left unfulfilled. Instead you're just fetching companions. So the whole time that your lost amongst the trap-filled poison gas and radio-lined corridors yeah, that's just filler.

The pros:
    There is seriously good loot. The holorifle is awesome. So is the gun you can take from the main baddie. Or if you're willing to leave that gun, you can steal up to 389,943 caps worth of stuff. Also the casino deals in pre-war money so if you max out your winnings you'll have another 100,000 caps worth of loot.

If you don't care about that, then there isn't a lot to recommend here. Most reviewers seem to have liked the characters and story, and while they were good, they weren't speculator.

All told, then, only loot nuts and completionists should bother with this and only then if they are willing to deal with the frustration of it all.
  8. Mar 9, 2013
    Dead Money was the last, but not best expansion that I played out of this group. First and foremost the difficulty curve was a huge slap in my face, even considering the "recommended level' i needed to play this game and the level I was. I was over it 3 fold. And yet I still had trouble, particularly that this DLC begins by stripping everything you had and leaving you with a slow to fire,Dead Money was the last, but not best expansion that I played out of this group. First and foremost the difficulty curve was a huge slap in my face, even considering the "recommended level' i needed to play this game and the level I was. I was over it 3 fold. And yet I still had trouble, particularly that this DLC begins by stripping everything you had and leaving you with a slow to fire, hard to handle Pump Action Energy weapon with A SCOPE of all things. did I forget to mention low ammo? What else that makes this game a chore to play through it's extremely hard playthrough is the constant poisonous clouds, radio frequency meters and the ghost dwellers that make the deathclaws look like a box of kittens when dealing with these matters all at once. But, it does provide a lot of tension, maybe too much for one to take, but it does it well. The story itself is solid and coherent, as you try to get your group of somebodies, each with a unique story to tell and each that play in part to your role to break into the casino and their relation with the former BOS elder gone mad. Still, would it be enough trouble for Obsidian just to make this DLC a little easier? There were really only 4 weapons that were of any real use to me, one of which in the original game, and for this being the longest game I had to play through, it was the hardest for me to enjoy because of it's difficulty curve. But, I score it slightly higher than Lonesome Road because this one actually manages to have a story that I can follow and provides a good deal of side quests, dynamic action and actual open world exploration, even if the exploration is all around the villa of this long forgotten casino. Expand
  9. Oct 14, 2012
    Personally, I hated this DLC, it almost ruined New Vegas for me until Old World Blues. Took too long to complete and then if you complete the DLC it won't let you return? Why not? Only the Sierra Madre locked up... I literally went through this because I felt obligated to...
  10. Aug 21, 2012
    Dead Money is a mixed bag. With this DLC, you're introduced to a new location, characters, companions, weapons, armor and all that you expect from a DLC. First, the good. The writing and characters are phenomenal. As the plot develops, you will find that the Sierra Madre is the pure symbol of greed, while you may question if you're much different from the antagonist. The ending featuresDead Money is a mixed bag. With this DLC, you're introduced to a new location, characters, companions, weapons, armor and all that you expect from a DLC. First, the good. The writing and characters are phenomenal. As the plot develops, you will find that the Sierra Madre is the pure symbol of greed, while you may question if you're much different from the antagonist. The ending features a pretty cool turn of events when you learn the true history of the casino. All the companions have a lot to say, each has a very interesting connection to the plot, and all their voice actors do a great job. The length is great, taking my time so I could fully absorb the setting and content, the DLC took me about 5+ hours. The gear you pick up is pretty cool, especially some of the armors, which have a very high DT despite being light.

Now, the bad: The actual content of the quests isn't all that great. Often, I found I didn't know why exactly I was doing things, even when I'd listen to the dialogue. Also, once you enter the casino and find the hologram patrols, they're a real pain to deal with. While certain mechanics like the poison gas and the bomb collars with radios made for interesting puzzles and challenges, overall they more often than not felt like they were limiting where I could explore, which sucks for hardcore fallout fans like me who methodically like to search each room from head to toe through a building.
  11. Jun 11, 2012
    Dead Money I was not if was for me be at the end of it it was good dlc. No amazing weapons in this dlc but it has a amazing story line. Some very annoying gliches in it. I died a lot but never found this dlc hard. I will soon be doing a review on old world blues soon so please catch that when I review it. Dead Money is the dlc so far. Fallout New Vegas - Dead Money 7.7/10
  12. Apr 2, 2012
    Started out fun, but is really wonky on when it is and isn't fun. The companions are great to hang out with, but the missions get really tedious until you enter the casino. Then its fun again and boring and fun. I weakly recommend but only if you want to learn about Father Elijah (you could also just read the wiki)
  13. Mar 20, 2012
    Dead Money provided an interesting environment, well-thought story, and great ambience into one good piece of DLC. The Sierra Madre Casino is filled with the lore one would expect from the mind of J.E. Sawyer and company. The only real problem with this add-on is the difficulty; it is challenging at the simplest difficulty, and is tailored towards the veteran Fallout players.
  14. Feb 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Made the game more like a suvival horror game, the level cap was increased and it had a good story. Unlike most others, I think, I tought that te setting of the downloadable content was really good. It was a lot of fun for just 10 bucks. Definitly worth the money. Expand
  15. Jul 30, 2011
    This DLC is a great buy, if a little difficult. I won't go over story here, but it is great if you are into deep stories ie. reading dialogue etc. I play on hard mode and this dlc is by no means impossible, but definately harder than the base game. The background may feel a little repetitive after a while, and some things aren't challenging, they're just plain annoying (the cloud, a gasThis DLC is a great buy, if a little difficult. I won't go over story here, but it is great if you are into deep stories ie. reading dialogue etc. I play on hard mode and this dlc is by no means impossible, but definately harder than the base game. The background may feel a little repetitive after a while, and some things aren't challenging, they're just plain annoying (the cloud, a gas that damages you when you enter it, and the abundance of bear traps.) However that wasn't enough to deter me a dlc with a great story. Expand
  16. Jun 12, 2011
    Dead Money is really hard and is not exciting at all. The DLC is painful to play. There is a positive though its Fallout and that saves this DLC from becoming a nightmare.
  17. May 21, 2011
    Good story, and creative new environment, and companions, but the game play can be very annoying and frustrating. But other than the annoying collar, its a great DLC.
  18. May 16, 2011
    The promos for this DLC made it sounds oh so cool. A lost casino in a city of the dead with ghost people and deadly red cloud? And you have to work together with 3 other people to break into the vault?! Cooool. Well, not really. The city of the dead with ghost people is little more than the claustrophobic streets of a small villa that look the exact same in every zone you go into. IThe promos for this DLC made it sounds oh so cool. A lost casino in a city of the dead with ghost people and deadly red cloud? And you have to work together with 3 other people to break into the vault?! Cooool. Well, not really. The city of the dead with ghost people is little more than the claustrophobic streets of a small villa that look the exact same in every zone you go into. I frequently got lost, the map is hardly useful and the poisonous clouds spread across the area only served to intensify my irritation. The "working as a team" part of the DLC is very misleading. Instead of actually working as a team with each of the other 3 unfortunate souls who are also stuck in the Sierra Madre, you actually end up just dragging them to preset locations so they can complete a task. The story is semi-interesting. You'll need to go out of your way exploring all of the villa to find the information needed to understand the story completely, which is not worth the headache of traversing the villa zones.

The atmosphere of the entire area is excellent, though. It is dark, silent and you don't have the protection of all the awesome weaponry you acquired in the main game. It appears the developers were going for a survival-horror theme in this DLC and they hit the nail on the head. Getting into the casino only furthers this great atmosphere with dark corridors lit only by inhuman, glowing holograms.

Outside of the atmosphere, I was disappointed with this DLC. If you're looking for something quite a bit different than the rest of the Mojave wasteland and you don't mind a headache inducing map then this might be the DLC for you. IF not, I recommend saving your money for the next three DLC releases
  19. Mar 15, 2011
    Good Add on, correct about the repetative actions similar to new vegas but cool fireworks show. I loved fallout 3 and this title definately fell short of that.
  20. Mar 6, 2011
    Dead Money while fun was a huge disappointment, as a huge fan of every one of the Fallout 3 DLC I expected a lot more from this game, let me start by saying that I had to re-upload this three times just to get the thing to work, while the atmosphere is great it's hindered by stupid design choices, like a mute character who communicates with hand gestures, but when you just reading linesDead Money while fun was a huge disappointment, as a huge fan of every one of the Fallout 3 DLC I expected a lot more from this game, let me start by saying that I had to re-upload this three times just to get the thing to work, while the atmosphere is great it's hindered by stupid design choices, like a mute character who communicates with hand gestures, but when you just reading lines about her doing these motions while she's standing as still as a statue is just plain retarded, I really enjoyed the fact that it extended the level cap to 35, all in all I would only recommend this to the most hardcore Fallout: New Vegas fans. Expand
  21. Feb 9, 2011
    After playing new vegas and loving it i was really looking forward to this DLC. but as my score says it was horrible. it was just about the same thing i have been doing in fallout since fallout 3: searching the wasteland for whatever your looking for. not that thats a bad thing it's just this DLC didn't add anything to it.
  22. Jan 26, 2011
    This DLC was alright, the story was interesting but not fantastic. Sadly the visuals have no variation at all, the Villa is just one big maze that looks the same everywhere you turn. The enemies have no variation at all except for name. Too many factors are annoying, and the difficulty curve is ridiculous, if you're planning to play this on Hardcore your'e in for a fight. It's an okay DLC,This DLC was alright, the story was interesting but not fantastic. Sadly the visuals have no variation at all, the Villa is just one big maze that looks the same everywhere you turn. The enemies have no variation at all except for name. Too many factors are annoying, and the difficulty curve is ridiculous, if you're planning to play this on Hardcore your'e in for a fight. It's an okay DLC, best part is it raises the level cap. Hopefully the next one will be much better. Expand
  23. Jan 16, 2011
    As a big fan of the series this episode was disappointing, tiresome and even exasperating. The dialogue was clichéd to the point that great effort was needed to sit through it all and the characters ran the gambit from annoying to irksome and even the ones that seemed interesting grew dull very quickly as a result of the hackneyed dialog. Although the setting was intended toAs a big fan of the series this episode was disappointing, tiresome and even exasperating. The dialogue was clichéd to the point that great effort was needed to sit through it all and the characters ran the gambit from annoying to irksome and even the ones that seemed interesting grew dull very quickly as a result of the hackneyed dialog. Although the setting was intended to be dark and noir however for me it didnâ Expand
  24. Jan 9, 2011
    While I truly love Fallout New Vegas, I'd recommend taking a pass on this expansion. The setting/technology is interesting, the story behind everything is compelling ( and tragic ) and your temporary companions have good back-stories and voice acting. The rest of the game is a void of tedious suckage scrambling around a bleak resort designed for agoraphobics reminiscent of the subways youWhile I truly love Fallout New Vegas, I'd recommend taking a pass on this expansion. The setting/technology is interesting, the story behind everything is compelling ( and tragic ) and your temporary companions have good back-stories and voice acting. The rest of the game is a void of tedious suckage scrambling around a bleak resort designed for agoraphobics reminiscent of the subways you had to traverse in the previous Fallout 3. This actually could have been an excellent expansion, but my guess is that during development there were complaints that people were completing it too quickly. It was obviously too late to make extra content, so instead they introduced no less than seven plot elements designed specifically to slow your progress to a crawl. Those extra hours of gameplay they've stretched in are not enjoyable ones. Be prepared to reload often due to your untimely death happening with alarming frequency. And while there were new weapons and gear, none of it was as good as the stuff I already had from playing the regular game. At most, it provides extra money - but that was never a problem in New Vegas either. The new perks went unused as well. Expand
  25. Dec 30, 2010
    Huge Fallout 3 and F:NV fan here, and I have to say that for the first time, playing this game felt like a chore. Dreary, unattractive settings, repetitive gameplay, and a difficulty curve that just gets stupidly hard and frustrating. Most of the devices designed to build tension - the poisonous fog, the stupid beeping collars - are just irritating.
  26. Dec 29, 2010
    There are lots of valid complaints about Dead Money. 1. Some of the quests are unnecessarily tedious (flip the switch quests, find the widget, etc...)

2. Extremely linear questline. That said, Dead Money was probably one of the best expansions for the latest crop of Fallout games (3/New Vegas) judging by the amount of tension I felt while playing. The difficulty curve is a LOT steeper

2. Extremely linear questline.

That said, Dead Money was probably one of the best expansions for the latest crop of Fallout games (3/New Vegas) judging by the amount of tension I felt while playing. The difficulty curve is a LOT steeper than your typical fallout expansion, and without spoiling anything, don't get too used to the tools you've become accustomed to using during the standard game. The environmental hazards are difficult, nearly to the point of tedium. In many ways the combination of lethality and scarcity of resources turns the game into a genre bending survival horror mod. There were several points where I wished I could just leave to relieve the fear of Ghost People creeping around in the mists.

But it all sets a tense, scary stage for a really stellar set of characters and motivations. As usual, the storytelling in New Vegas outshines Fallout 3 in nearly every way. At the end of the 6 hours I spent in the Sierra Madre, I was deeply invested in at least two of the four characters presented and I wished I could see them in the Mojave Wasteland, instead of leaving them behind. It may not be for everyone, but serious Fallout fans should definitely check it out for the challenge and the unusual atmosphere.
  27. Dec 29, 2010
    This DLC is simply not worth the money. Dead Money is a very tedious and linear quest. While it is challenging, it is not a fun challenge. The exploding collar thing gets extremely annoying about 10 minutes in and the poison clouds needlessly degrade your health. The lack of variety in enemies and weapons was very disappointing. The layout of the Villa is unnecessarily complicated, andThis DLC is simply not worth the money. Dead Money is a very tedious and linear quest. While it is challenging, it is not a fun challenge. The exploding collar thing gets extremely annoying about 10 minutes in and the poison clouds needlessly degrade your health. The lack of variety in enemies and weapons was very disappointing. The layout of the Villa is unnecessarily complicated, and even more so by the poor waypoint directions. The only redeeming aspects were the decent storyline (at the end) and a higher level cap. After playing Broken Steel and Point Lookout for Fallout 3 (Dead Money plays more like Mothership Zeta), this DLC doesn't even come close to the quality I was expecting. Expand
  28. Dec 26, 2010
    Dead money is a tough quest thatâ
  29. Dec 26, 2010
    Dead money is a tough quest thatâ

1. Dec 28, 2011
    The adventure is of a satisfying size, the writing and characterizations are strong, and it offers an experience that is uniquely different from the main campaign. As a matter of fact, it even includes some surprising revelations that will entice players to play through the other three DLC episodes that follow. From every angle, Dead Money is a winning hand.
  2. Mar 8, 2011
    Obsidian delivers a first DLC that matches their Fallout: New Vegas : tense, captivating, despite its linearity. With a tiny bit more difficulty! Once more, we'd almost forget about the aging 3D engine of Bethesda and the poor AI. I experienced it like a little pen & paper RPG scenario of a single night. My thanks to the Obisidian Game Master.
  3. Feb 14, 2011
    Dead money is all about the companion interaction and offers a decent addition to your game time for 800 points. [Mar 2011, p.94]