8.0

1. Oct 22, 2010
    When I read a lot of the reviews given here I'm really reminded of the movie Idiocracy. Especially read the review from Guardian. How is it possible to detail such flaws in a game and also score 100%? Really I think that speaks volumes about the average gamer and the industry. Ok, I'd really love a sports car but if the wipers were where the licensce plate was and the side mirrors were on top of the hood and one door was a different color I wouldn't give it a 100% pass and i wouldn't be saying ah don't worry it will be getting fixed later, the company will look after it sometime way off in the future. Look if a game is broke or buggy then you take off some points. Just because you loved Fallout 3, great, go rate that game. This one is buggy and broken and deserves severe reductions. So what if Bethesda says they are going to fix it. It isn't fixed yet. When it is you can adjust your reviews. Broke is broke. This game is a mess that isn't ready to be released and these companies are taking far too many liberties with their gamers who support their wages and companies. Send your message to these software companies that we are not putting up with this anymore. Please click yes to my review so Bethesda starts getting the message that the well is about to dry up and they better get their act together. Expand
  2. Oct 19, 2010
    Simply an excellent addition to the Fallout canon. An imaginative and extremely crafted story, numerous and refreshingly enjoyable side quests and engaging and thoughtful characters. This game will appeal to fans of Fallout 3 primarily, yet occasional references to previous games in the series to keep die-hard fans happy. By allowing Obsidian to create this game, it allows them to strike a near perfect balance of the complete Fallout experience. Many hours of mine have already been sunk into this game, and if you are looking for a thought-provoking enthralling video game adventure then look no more. This might sound sycophantic and gushing, yet this game really has brought a smile to my face. Roll on Fallout 4! Expand
  3. Oct 25, 2010
    I just want to add that the recent update seems to of got rid of the crashing problem. Well... It seems to for me as it hasn't crashed on me yet! :)
  4. Oct 20, 2010
    I am truly shocked at what I am seeing. The reviews for this game are WAY too high. It doesn't make any sense. I was a huge fan of Fallout 3 and the add ons that came later. New Vegas is a major step back from the last game. I have played it for 8 hours and so far it has frozen 4 times. I have also noticed online that this is a widespread problem that everyone is experiencing. Even if it was not freezing, the frame rate is unbelievably bad, with stuttering and slow down every 2 minutes. It is truly unacceptable for such a big release, but even worse is the praise this game is getting despite the major game breaking problems. Imagine if you found out games like Halo Reach, Call of Duty, Bioshock, or Mass Effect were going to freeze once every 2 hours. Gamers and reviewers would be beside themselves and the reviews would reflect that anger. Games of that magnitude would never be released to the public until those major issues were ironed out. For some reason New Vegas is still getting amazing reviews despite these problems. For example, Giant Bomb gave the game an awesome score despite reporting that the game froze 12 times in 33 hours of play. 12 TIMES! Seriously people, I love Fallout and I know you do to, which is why Fallout: New Vegas is unacceptable. Expand
  5. Oct 19, 2010
    "Fallout: New Vegas" is a glitchy and kitschy variation on the Fallout tradition. The bugginess of the game exceeds any I have played for the XBOX 360- with frequent crashes, clipping plane problems and enemy AI failures. Nevertheless, it IS more time in Bethesda's inspired 3d-version of the Fallout game series- and for that reason it at least deserves your consideration. It must be said- many hours into the game- that I have yet to encounter a moment as awe-inspired as that first time you exited Vault 101 in "Fallout 3"- met by endless vista of ruined civilization. "Fallout 3" created such an all-encompassing vision of a ruined Capitol city that it remains, several years on, one of the most memorable moments in modern gaming- and I'd be lying if I didn't admit I've hoped "New Vegas" might have similar moments. A dozen hours or more into the game, I continue to feel as if I'm wandering around inside a gigantic, somewhat middling bit of "Fallout 3" DLC... Here's to hoping things improve as the story unfolds. Expand
  6. Oct 19, 2010
    After the game forced me to restart my system 3 times in as many hours I figured I would be in for a rough ride (and a possible red ring). I didn't experience any crashes during the next 5 hours of play though which gives me hope. There are however some other serious pathfinding glitches for monsters and NPCs. One of which allowed me to complete an upper level quest (that involved killing 3 super mutants at the same time) at level 3. The introduction of the hardcore mode makes up some of the technical issues though. I'm actually having a lot of fun, as much as when I played Fallout 3, which is what I wanted but didn't really expect. Expand
  7. Oct 19, 2010
    Excellent game that excels in its narrative combines it with a well structured world to explore and with incredible voice acting. I'm only 12 hours in but the game already is well worth its value. So if you ever have time visit Vegas but be aware. It will keep you.
  8. Oct 28, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, I guess I'm just curious about one thing... Did anyone at Obsidian or Bethesda TEST this game before releasing it and stamping a $60 price tag on it? And which outfit do we hold responsible for this mess? In a nutshell, technically, Fallout: New Vegas is the most glitch stricken, lag-ridden cluster fudge of a game I have ever played for the 360... Period. There are load times that exceed 3 minutes, frequently (the longest one I had, and yes I was sad enough to time it, along with many other lagging load times... 5:48, no joke). Seven times it froze my 360, and at some very crucial moments in the game. It even froze during the ending story slide show, right in the middle of telling me what happened to The Kings! I don't even want to go back and play it again to finish it, I'm just too pissed off right now (and afraid it will freeze on me again). How could this happen? You guys are supposed to fix glitches and bugs, not make them worse! Here is one harrowing and horrid, detailed example of my hell ride through the Mojave Wasteland...

Followers: This once useful tool in the D.C. Wasteland became a broken nightmare in New Vegas... I finally found enough parts to fix Ed-E and we were off, together at last, with my sensors all perked up. I knew he was there, not because I could see him behind me, but because he played a highly annoying tune every time he attacked an enemy. Somewhere along the journey, I stopped hearing Ed play his ear-blistering music. I had already saved my game many times when I finally noticed my flying robot was no longer covering my back. So, I went on a search for him, but to no avail. So, I figured I'd be smart and go back to Primm, where I first fixed him up and found him, and alas! There he was, stuck in the wall of a random building, not responding to my attempts to move him or talk to him. What good is the companion wheel now if you can't access it outside of a conversation with your companion? So, since I can't talk to him, I cannot tell him he's fired from my services, therefore, according to other people in the environment, and other potential followers, he's still happily floating above my head, but he really isn't there at all. He is in Primm, stuck in a wall. So of course, when the time comes to help ol' Rex, he can't follow me because I still have a nonexistent robot hovering above my head, who is still stuck in a wall, in Primm. However, I still have the sensors perk and I don't have to hear his over-zealous attack song anymore, so this is positive for me in a way... Anyway, I finally get to meet Raul and he decides to tag along with me. He is not so useless. As A fighter he really kicks some ass and he seems like a cool guy. His repetitive comments get VERY old, but he's nice to have around in a pinch. So, during the heat of combat with some Fiends holed up in a vault, I began to realize that my trusty ghoul follower was also nowhere to be found and I was not informed of his death. Sadly, I found him stuck in a rock, unresponsive, the same as Ed. So now, I have two nonexistent followers that everyone can smell and see but me. Thanks a lot team New Vegas! Not sure how this went undiscovered...

A few quick questions, for whom it may concern:

1) How does someone own a bed when their brains are splattered all over the Mojave?
    2) How is it that this game lags out, slows frame rate, or clips every 10 seconds when I am not playing others online?
    3) Why is my character falling through the floor of the game and landing in random spots around the game world? 4) Why aren't there mods available for cool guns, but the Varmint Rifle night scope is so readily available long after you've gotten rid of it for something much cooler, like the sniper rifle?
    5) Why add more perks then let us only choose half as many? Seriously?
    6) Why are enemies and followers alike getting randomly stuck in cars, rocks and walls?
    7) Why does your game repeatedly and consistently freeze my console?

Now, I must say, story wise, this game had a lot of potential, but it seemed rushed. I recall, in a lot of different conversations, that the voice of who I was talking to would randomly change, even one time changing from a man's voice, to a woman's. These things, along with all the previous rants and questions, are just unforgivable for a game of this caliber. From a technical standpoint, this game is an absolute turd and it will take a miracle, not a patch, to fix this technical train wreck.

On a positive note, the musical score for this game is quite amazing. I love it. The sounds were also quite realistic, from gun shots to (repetitive) background noises, but unfortunately, these sounds also lagged behind, hearing a gun shot or a footstep 2 seconds after firing or stepping. I score this game a highly frustrating and sorely disappointing: 4 out of 10.
  9. Oct 23, 2010
    I really really want to finish this damn game but just will not let me. every 30 seconds my saves are corrupt, or it freezes, or i cant fire my gun, or the game thinks some downloadable content cant be accessed for some reason. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE and in the condition it is now just cant recommend buying this game unless they get around to fixing it.
  10. Mar 8, 2011
    It's a great game. Carries on in the style of the last game (same game engine). Experienced wasteland warriors will know what to expect. There's a few little bugs. I had to restart from a previous save one or twice during the game. Loads of quests and sidequests. I think the humor is funnier and a little darker than the last game. Multiple companions are allowed this time.

You can play
    anyway you want to progress the story. I went from good to evil and back as I saw fit. It can really affect your standing with different factions in the game.

Well worth playing
  11. Nov 8, 2010
    It genuinely doesn't get any more buggy than this. A real crime, as Fallout: New Vegas had all the makings of a classic, but such poor quality in execution is unacceptable.
  12. Oct 21, 2010
    After spending 100 to 150 hours behind Fallout 3 and its related downloadable content, I was extremely excited for Fallout New Vegas. My excitement was short lived, however, once I loaded up the game and realized very little has changed between the two. Many existing aspects of Fallout 3 were simply copied and pasted into this title including, but not limited to, GUI, player models & textures, terrain models and textures, and even the ambient location, day and night music. While some may say the overall familiarity is a strength, I disagree and see it as somewhat of a weakness. There is a difference between a warm blanket and a used blanket that is too small to use and Fallout New Vegas is turning out to be the latter.
    ---
    The modified Elder Scrolls engine is starting to severely show its age and bugs that were a part of that engine in Fallout 3 can still be found in Fallout New Vegas. New Vegas has it's own share of entirely new bugs as well which affect the game across all three platforms. Sometimes you may go hours without noticing any of them and sometimes they may be so severe that they prevent being able to play entirely. Mobs regularly fall through the terrain texture or freeze in place, doing nothing. Sometimes the game doesn't open up content-sensitive doors or areas during a quest arc until manually reloading the game. Frame rate stutters and entire game lockups happen with alarming frequency and on PC, bad DirectX calls can crash the entire game.
    ---
    The voice acting is terrible and it's apparent they used the same small band of people to do all the voices except for major characters who got star treatment and the radio is disappointing, again, unfortunately, with the same old boring tracks on each station with the same old boring announcements by the "DJs" (sorry Mr. Newton, even Mr. Vegas can't save these stations, but at least there's no "Three Dog AHOOOOOOOOOO" this time).
    ---
    This isn't to say the game is all bad. The new crafting mechanics are well implemented, as are the changes to ammo varieties. The story writing is top notch and the various currencies add a lot of flavor. If, of course, you can play the game long enough without it crashing.
    ---
    Overall, I think the game is getting far too much praise for the title name alone and nostalgia for the previous version. Fallout New Vegas does very little different, or even better than, its predecessor and the repeat gamebreaking bugs make the game difficult to enjoy while playing. As I previously alluded to, when playing New Vegas, I feel like I'm trying to use a 5 year old blanket that I've outgrown: I know it could be warm and great, but it's a struggle to use.
  13. Oct 21, 2010
    Fallout: New Vegas is a massive step forward for the Fallout series. I've clocked 6 hours now and haven't even seen the Vegas Strip, and that's not a complaint. It's almost identical to Fallout 3 graphic-wise, suffers the same glitches here and there, and shares extremely similar mechanics. But in no way is it merely an expansion of Fallout 3. It's a totally new game and feels like one from the start. The customisation is more in-depth than I imagined. You're now able to customise your weapons from adding scopes and silencers, down to what type of bullet it fires. There's no feeling of monotony or boredom anymore and the game is even more challenging (hardcore mode aside). You now have almost full control over the story, with most quests forking into several routes, letting you make important decisions for yourself. That said, it's a Fallout game, it's for the fans. If you did not like Fallout 3, there's no way you'll like New Vegas. If you haven't played a Fallout game though, this is one that would be too big a shame to miss. 10/10 Expand
  14. Oct 30, 2010
    A mindless, repetitive, non-rewarding, non-challenging, glitch-infested time sink. This has to be the most boring, dull, generic game I've ever seen in my life. I don't care about any of the people in this game, whether they live or die or what, because they're all so lifeless, like talking mannequins. All the actors say their lines without emotion, like they don't give a damn what happens. If they don't care, why should I? And none of them have any charisma, none of them memorable. And the environments that you'll be traveling through are also incredibly dull. Lots of sand, rocks, torn up pavement, broken bridges, rusted cars, rusted shacks; nothing but brown and gray for as far as the eye can see. As for the gameplay... you walk around for hours exploring the most boring world ever conceived for a video game, kill things and talk to people, and you're either more powerful than the enemy or not. There's no strategy, no planning. Just grab the most powerful weapon you have and hope it's good enough. You won't know you're underpowered until it's too late, so expect to have to reload a previous save often. When you're exploring the wasteland, most enemies will spot you before you spot them, and when they see you they will run full speed at you, and they're always faster than you, so there's not a whole lot you can do but shoot, shoot, shoot. No strategy required, no intelligence required. The highly touted VATS system that allows you to target specific body parts of your enemies is rarely effective when you need it to be. Want to shoot a giant monster that's charging at you like a bat out of hell? Well, in theory, you could shoot him in the leg to slow him down, but that strategy only seems to work against lesser enemies, those that could be taken out easily without VATS, making it nearly useless. And as for the character building... it's just a crap shoot. Should I put more points into 'lockpick' or 'science'? I don't know, because there's no way for me to know how effective those skills will be later on. There may only be a couple of instances where science is useful in the entire game for all I know. If I played through the game a second time, then I would have a better idea as to which skills are more useful, but who in their right mind would want to play through a 100-hour RPG again? So the only other way to know which skills are best is to ask someone that has already played through the game or read a guide, which feels like cheating, because it is cheating. And how am I to feel rewarded after that? I won't. Which makes playing this a waste of time. Just a horrible game all around, really. I think the reason it's so popular is because there's nothing else quite like it. It's a unique experience. And that's why many people play video games, to have a unique experience. I play them to have fun, however, and that is why I'll be playing something other than Fallout New Vegas. Expand
  15. Oct 19, 2010
    This games title is misleading, it should have been called Fallout 3: New Vegas. If you didn't follow the dev cycle of New Vegas you might not have know that this game uses the same engine that powered Fallout 3 (also Oblivion, both by Bethesda); that means that game mechanics, quest structures, color palette (apocalyptic brown), AI, game assets, shoddy character animations, HUD and UI and even V.A.T.S. is all the same as Fallout 3. That being said, if you're a fan of Fallout 3, you'll definitely not want to miss New Vegas. However; unfortunately Obsidian Entertainment's envision of the Fallout Universe is not quite as polished in its implementation, as its predecessor. There are bugs, AI glitches such as NPCs and creatures spawning under terrain, clipping problems such objects that occupy the same space and clip through each other and look sloppy, textures not loading or not visible (such as your gun and arm, which happens randomly), areas where your character will get stuck and force a mandatory reload to proceed, and these are just to name a few of the problems on the Xbox360 version - problems with the NPC AI being the biggest detractor. Another negative aspect of the game is that, unlike Fallout 3, most areas in the wasteland lack the polish of 'The Strip' (the strip is a sight to see) and feel drab or boring in comparison. Also another area I felt was lacking was the voice acting, you can really tell that Obsidian skimped in this area, overall the Voice acting is just horrible compared to F3 - I'm talking about monotonous dialogue and tons of different NPCs who use the same Voice Actor with little to no distinction between them. Despite the games obvious flaws there is much to like (especially if you liked F3), a whole new (long) story line, another large sandbox wasteland to explore with numerous quests (a lot of quests with multiple outcomes, and ways to complete them), countless NPCs (the story writers for this game is exceptional), Vying factions which fight for territory- the NCR, Great Khans, Powder Gangers, The Legionaries, Mr. House, Fiends, and more, some of which you can join and become apart of. There are tons of references to the original Fallout games, lots of new creatures (several of which return from early Fallout games like the Gecko), new weapons, new perks, new recipies can be made on a campfire or a workbench now, and you can use a reloading bench to recycle ammo, or convert ammo types. There are also A LOT of minor tweaks and welcome additions to the Fallout 3 formula, such as new interface and commands for companions, gambling, weapon mods, all the weapons now have iron sights in first person (bravo), weapon repair kits, a new hardcore mode where you have to monitor food, water, and sleep- are just a few of the additions. The writing and dialog in the game has a more mature nature and emphasis on dark humor this time, and the quests are never repetitive, they are exciting and quite amusing at times: definitely the best part about New Vegas. This is another extremely long single player experience and will most likely take people over 100 hours to see everything in the game, not to mention the immense replay value this time around because of the many different vying factions, the quests with multiple outcomes, and different paths to follow all make New Vegas a great value to any fan of Fallout 3 or fallout in general- I just wish that there wasn't so many problems, and that the game used a new engine as the elder scrolls 4 engine is really starting to look dated. If it wasn't for the large amount of content and re-playability I would not consider this to be a stand alone game, rather an expansion pack for fallout 3. Fix the bugs Obsidian, and I would rate the game a 8 or 9/10 as I'm a huge fan of Fallout 3. Expand
  16. Nov 1, 2010
    Fallout:NV does not offer much difference from Fallout 3. The main difference is the setting. I really liked Fallout 3 and as far as gameplay goes this is pretty much the same.
    The main problem with the game are the glitches. Wow. Often times objects flicker or turn green for no reason. There are other visual glitches as well. Most negative things I have read about the game center on the
    bugs and glitches and rightly so. I especially don't understand how a console game can be released with this many problems. I understand PC versions to an extent due to the massive variety of hardware and software platforms that must be supported. However, a console like the Xbox360 is basically the same hardware regardless of model. If you liked Fallout 3 consider this a big expansion pack and you will probably be satisfied. Expand
  17. Dec 17, 2010
    It seems like everyone who reviews this game can only focus on the glitches and bugs. But now that most of them have been fixed by patches, it really should be clear that Fallout: New Vegas was a great game all along, underneath its technical failings. Sure, it's more of the same stuff as Fallout 3. But it also changes and adds several new features that make it feel fresh even if the core gameplay is based off a previous formula. The game world itself is also very fun and interesting to explore, which is probably the most important part of a Fallout game. I recommend it to anyone that liked Fallout 3. Expand
  18. Oct 20, 2010
    Fallout New Vegas is a truley outstanding game and in my oppinion, it's everything you liked about Fallout 3, but somehow manages to step it up to the next level. Everything Obsedian decided to change from the former title is for the better. The ability to play in real time alone is enouph to make me like this game more than FO3. They have added COD like iron sights to most of the guns and also the awsome vats animations when you kill someone happen in real time as well. Vats is still here and better than ever with more real looking animations that never get old. Weopon Mods, Companion Wheel, and double the weopons from FO3, they've got my money! Expand
  19. Oct 19, 2010
    This game is good there shouldn't be any negative reviews because it is a good game. I highly disliked mw2 but gave it a decent score because I relized it was a decently made game. vegas has its problems ( mostly tech), but all games do and that shouldn't stop a game from getting good reviews, which is why a 0 for this game or almost any game for that matter should not be an option.
  20. Oct 25, 2010
    Let me first say that Fallout 3 was the best gaming experience I've enjoyed. Needless to say, I was excited about a continuation of the series, regardless of the developer.

Although I'm still playing it and find it entertaining, it's just not on the same playing field as Fallout 3. If I had to describe the game with one word, my word of choice would be 'buggy'. Other posters have
    mentioned crashes, etc. While I have not experienced bugs of those magnitudes (yet), I have experienced a multitude of smaller bugs (some have been mentioned by other posters) that just annoy the hell out of me. The writing seems to be on par with other Fallout versions and I'm always entertained, even though having to deal with the bugs. The game play itself is decent and there are some creative ideas that have been implemented that makes the New Vegas version enticing.

At the end of the day, will I play it? Yes. Will I finish it? Yes. Will I enjoy it? Yes. However, after playing the game I find it may be more of a desire to re-live Fallout 3 and the series as a whole and this way, I guess it's worth the play. I feel like a heroin addict that's been given methadone. It gets me over the need but sure as hell doesn't give me the buzz.

My suggestion: wait 6 months and buy that game used or at a $30 price tag. You'll enjoy it more for not having to pay a premium price tag for a less than premium game.
  21. Nov 14, 2010
    Great game. I have had very few glitches, so i cannot comment on those. The game has new editions to it to keep it fresh, and i've found it highly entertaining. Choices and their related consequences have a large role in the game, so multiple playthroughs is a definite option. I recommend it.
  22. Nov 11, 2010
    This game is nothing compare to FO 3. the map ig BIG but nothing significant to see. few shacks, hills, dry lake, few gas station, oh ya hoover dam, maybe few caves ? and it has lost unique touch or feel of apocalyptic world. it is just plain dessert nothing else nothing more. i don't want to mention about the BUG, i accept it. human made after all.
  23. Nov 10, 2010
    Fallout New Vegas would be a superb game if only they had actually finished making it before they let us buy it, the game has so many technical problems, bugs and glitches that it makes me wonder if they actually tested it at all prior to it going on sale.
    I really enjoyed Fallout 3, the best waste of time ever and when New Vegas was announced I was eager to get back to exploring the
    wastes, first impressions were good, I had the obligatory up till 4am gaming sessions with "I'll just see whats over that next hill" excuses, it was just like FO 3 all over again.
    A few glitches with things getting stuck in the floor and or falling though it completely started to happen, things that I had seen in FO 3 so not a great surprise but then it got worse, the game would lock up, pausing and stopping game play completely at random but increasingly frequent times, loading screens went from being a 20 second hindrance to a full couple of minutes then to top this off the game now stops you from continuing from your last save, or any save for that matter. at 60 hours in (obsessive? no) that is a real problem, the idea of going back to the start again is not really that appealing.

New Vegas IS a good, even great game but it just doesn't work, if it did I'd have no problem giving it 10/10 but as I can't get it to actually play anymore its a 5, the fun I did have before it stopped working was good, I'd have loved to see more, another lazy developer.

Shame.
  24. Oct 24, 2010
    So I've just spent the last 40+ hours playing Fallout N.V. I've been on vacation. For the most part I think that they have outdone themselves. I'm just now getting really into the main quest and am nowhere near done. The landscape is stunning, many of the creatures are new. The stories are very thought inspiring. You cannot just solve every mission with gunfire and not expect consequences. I've read some other reviews that complain " Oh no this mission destroyed anothers mission". Or "I can't kill anyone without pissing someone off". Well no kidding! Far as I can tell wouldn't that be life? And aren't rpgs supposed to be based on life? This is the first game I've played (and I've played many rpgs) that attempts to hold you accountable for your choices. Yes some missions do destroy others. But I'ts to make you think. I've experienced very little on the bugs. Nothing that seemed any worse then Oblivion or Fallout 3. If your not familiar, just some odd behavior in the graphics. My system hasn't locked up or anything. Although after about 12 hours+ of gameplay, it has really heated up and take a while to load.The companions that you can get are for more in depth then Fallout 3. Each has their own story and mission, although it may take some time to get the mission. I really like that there is a lot more to do with scrap items and plants in this game. I was hoping there was going to be some naturtal survivall tekniques in this. You can also breakdown ammo for use to make other ammo. I also like that with workbenches and some skills and attributes you need a required amount of a given skill, or it just won't work. Oh little tip, money and really good items are VERY hard to come by. Gamble (Ruellette) but save after each spin. Time consuming but worth it. So for in depth stories, action, faction interaction and making it really hard to survive I give this game a 10. But for Oblivion graphics bug I got ta knok off 2 points. C'mon Bethesda, youv'e had these issues since Oblivion. You can't fix them? Also note to parents! I wouldn't get this for childeren. It's very violent and gory, full of language, and not on the esrb rating what I would say to be partial nudity. For adult players... Get it now!! Expand
  25. Oct 20, 2010
    A marvelous addition to the Fallout franchise. Even if the bugs prohibit some players to enjoy the game to it's fullest. They are a minor inconvenience to an otherwise excellent game. The story is compelling, the graphics still hold up to today's standards. Overall, an excellent and a must buy game.
  26. Oct 20, 2010
    While the game is definitely not a large step on either Bethesda or Obsidian's part to add a new and original life to the Fallout 3 franchise, the game accomplishes it tasks to improve slightly on appearance, and milestones in gameplay. You are now free to explore Fallout 3 Vegas style with more than a little of a western touch. Forget about stockpiles bunches of gear and be ready to live conveniently from your own pocket as well. With the improved gunplay(different types of ammo, resistances to damage from types of armor) this game may suit a larger audience than the first. I even got a sense that Obsidian was catering to a generation of shooter lovers fans(make no mistake this is completely different than COD) by amping the excitement and pace of how you shoot and use guns.

All in all, Fallout: New Vegas is the same old, but is absolutely necessary for fans of the series; especially in regards to the competition it has with other RPG's on the market.
  27. Oct 20, 2010
    By no means is this game perfect and some patches are needed but the core gameplay should more than satisfy and fan of Fallout 3. I have played this game for 9 hours so far and have had trouble turning it off because I want to keep exploring. More cool weapons and more interesting places and people. If you have space I suggest installing it to your hard drive and it will run more smoothly. It froze a few times so Kavorkian gives it a 0? Makes sense, might want to check your xbox. I love how its either 10 or 0 for user reviews haha. Expand
  28. Oct 23, 2010
    alright so i bought this game thinking i would be playing a brand new, bug/glitch free fallout. WRONG. right off the bat this game is filled with glitches out the wahzoo. besides that, every mission pretty much gives you the option to go against other missions, without the player fully knowing, and allowing them to ruin their game most times. yeah we get it that the game wants the player to have a choice but to an extent. i feel like there is no one set path to follow and its very confusing to play. when i start a mission i have to think "will this make everyone in the game pissed at me or will i lose missions." i feel like this game was rushed to get out and there should have been more work put into this. it shows minimal improvement from the previous game and that came out 2 years ago. its very frustrating to play and i certainly wouldn't have minded waiting another 2 or 3 months for this game to be released if i knew it need so much work to be done to it. Expand
  29. Jul 7, 2011
    Too many bugs and glitches and save files can be corrupt. The only good part of this game is an open world where you can explore for a lot of hours. Fallout 3 was way better than New Vegas.
  30. Dec 26, 2010
    very good. i liked fallout 3 better but this game added new things to it that made it all worthwhile. not must buy but maybe a must try at least.
  31. Oct 24, 2010
    I enjoyed Fallout 3 but was never particularly interested in the DLC for the game as the add-ons seemed half-assed and off the rails for the most part and ironically, Fallout New Vegas just felt like a huge, honking DLC to me rather than a new, stand-alone game. More of the same semi-clunky combat and more of the same opening rusted drawer after drawer and that was okay, I suppose, but with it came a massive dose of NEW and IMPROVED bugs! Weird texture issues, characters stuck in walls or ceilings, etc. etc. I felt like I could just go back and replay Fallout 3 and spare myself the glitches. Expand
  32. Oct 26, 2010
    Not much should be said about this game but, if I could say it all in a sentence it would be this. This was amazing installment in the Fallout series for sure. I played this game from start to finish and all of the optional missions that were involved. When I was finished with the game I was speechless. All of the different endings were amazing. One way you could also put it would be THE PERFECT GAME. I know what you're asking then. Why did I give this game the Rating that I did. The answer to that is the glitches. All of the game was interesting, fun, exciting, bloody (everything a hardcore or average game would want) but the glitches should have not been as bad as they were. I mean when enemy's and good guy's spawned, they would appear in the walls, in the ground and even underground so you couldn't see them yet, they were hitting you. Another bad glitch that could have possibly ruined the whole story was the glitch where you had the passport to the New Vegas Strip but for some reason you weren't able to get inside. Overall This game was amazing. If the glitches weren't a problem then this game would have gotten a 10. The last thing I have to say about this game is this. For the game known as the longest game in history is should also be marked as the greatest game in history.

Peace Out, TheRealDeal
  33. Oct 27, 2010
    Atmosphere: Yes! Walking in the sunset with some classic country background music, slow motion, the feeling when exploring burned out remains of civilization. The secrets of Vaults, and industrial companies etc.
    Bugs: NO! Always had to check online aid to see if my mission ends because it is intended or it is bugged, or reload thousand times thanks to some annoying bug (like the companion
    attacked without any reason by NPCs).
    Unreality: NO. Sure, it is a sci-fi, with many unrealistic elements, and that's okay. But no matter how you attack an enemy it always ends up losing his head or limbs, poke it with a switchblade and see his head flying away, as well as bodies act like ragdolls.
    Go here go there: NO! To travel many miles just to say hi, or deliver a message with no great importance. I spent hours fast travelling just to move on with the quests, and nothing really happened. 3-6 mins loading time, 10 min walking, 1 min interaction when i reached the place, then back the same way. I saw more of the loading screen then the game itself.
  34. Oct 31, 2010
    The game industry is always trying new ways to get us to buy games new, not pre-owned. A step backwards on this front would be to release games that were not really playable soon after release and expect us to wait for a fix. That is what happened here.

During my 20-25 hours on this game I have had 12 complete Xbox crashes, found many obvious bugs and glitches, and had my save file
    corrupted. This meant that not only did I get a full Xbox crash every time I loaded, I had to start over from the start. There are places where you can level to max in 30 secs due to obvious glitches, there is a room behind a door that takes max lockpick to open, that you cannot enter due to falling through the floor and into oblivion. My eyes say the floor is there, the game says not.

If this game had less of this, then I would rate higher than Fallout 3 which I really liked, however as it is broken I will leave it there.

I guess we pay £40 $60 to playtest these games now so they can be fixed ready for the pre-owned market, not enjoy them. Saves Bethseda and Obsidian some money in these tough times..........
  35. Nov 1, 2010
    Having waited for this game well soon as i had finished fallout 3 i can only feel disappointed, to compare this with the original is a crime the freedom and exploration has gone i am not on about glitches who hasn't suffered the control room glitch of f/o/3 i mean running 3 miles to get to a house that's boarded up a door that wont open and so on gone are the huge under ground layout the endless searching floor after floor of deserted high rises gutted doesn't cover it fallout new Vegas is a step back i hope the dlc brings some life back Expand
  36. Nov 7, 2010
    I was introduced to Fallout in 2008. I've always been a huge fan of the post-apocalyptic genre, and Fallout 3 did it so well that I went back and played Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics. When word came out that New Vegas was to be a true sequel to Fallout 2, and to use most of the design assets from the original, canceled Fallout 3, I was overjoyed.

The problem is that the traditions of
    Fallout 2 were *too* closely carried on. Quite simply, New Vegas would have been a great game if it had come out in January of 2011, after 3 more months of debugging. The immersive game world is constantly fractured by unprovoked crashes and frame rate drops. AI behavior flat out stops working for no apparent reason, with the exploitation of other glitches being the only fix (thus far, I've had to walk out to Vault 22 and use the elevator 4 separate times because my NPC squadmates stopped following me and I lost track of them--this is the only fix thus far). The return of the NCR and of Marcus (voiced by the Michael Dorn, just as in Fallout 2) is sullied by the constant need for reloading and restarting the console. Looking at the Fallout wiki, nearly every New Vegas quest has a list of known bugs. This wasn't a game, it was a beta. Dedicated fans have been working on fixing and completing cut content from Fallout 2 for almost twelve years, and New Vegas needs that kind of treatment.

Which is a real shame. The Reputation system is vastly superior to Fallout 3's Karma only scheme, the disguises system felt like something that was truly missing from Fallout 3 (no one in the Brotherhood of Steel seemed to mind when I walked into their base wearing the armor of their sworn enemies in Fallout 3. Now they shoot me on sight). The reworking of the Repair skill is nothing short of genius, and the Companion Wheel is a beautiful simplification of Fallout 3's clunky dialogue system (itself a throwback to Fallout 1 and 2, games more than 10 years old upon Fallout 3's release). In addition, with the return of the NCR and other familiar settings, New Vegas' setting seems less like it's straining to fit into the existing world created back in the late '90s.

The bugs just ruin everything. It is tough to find a review here or elsewhere where they don't come up, even when said review is one or two paragraphs long. This is highly unusual; you don't see complaints of bugs in reviews about Gears of War or Final Fantasy. They aren't just present in New Vegas, they are pervasive, ranging from quests (random doors gaining unpickable locks, trapping the player in a room), exploration (valuable power armor hidden in one of the most dangerous areas of the game doesn't always spawn), to basic mechanics (2 items, one of them common and the other a quest item that cannot be removed from the player's inventory after receiving it, use Fallout 3' s armor mechanic and make all other armor cease to function until the game is reloaded multiple times or an exploit is used to fix it). Oblivion glitches were annoying when quest items became bound to the player permanently. Fallout 3 bugs were annoying when talking to Bittercup inadvertently gave the player unlimited XP. New Vegas bugs are downright frustrating when walking into a room while aiming down the site causes the game to crash.

In short, Fallout: New Vegas is a game that is defined by it's lofty goals coupled with a lack of fundamentals. It will likely be remembered as a game that fell short of being a classic just because of a failed development cycle.
  37. Mar 11, 2011
    This has got to be my favourite current gen game to be honest. Sure, its true what everyone is saying about the bugs and freezes, its ridden with the damn things, but just like its predecessor this game is so addictive. It's impossible to put it down once you start playing. The immersion and atmosphere levels are through the roof. And "Hardcore" mode is the best challenging inducing feature set ive seen since I played System Shock 2 all those years ago. The sheer depth and intelligence of the entire game is just... wow! I cant even describe it. I love this game soOOoo much. Thank you Bethesda and Obsidian. Thank you very much. Expand
  38. Dec 5, 2010
    This game is...horrend, seriously, i hate this game. All the people is saying that this game is epic, so give it a try... i don´t understand how some many people can say that this is a good game.
  39. Nov 22, 2010
    I'm a huge fan of the Fallout series, so when I heard there would be a new addition to the lineup I was understandably excited. I had previously played the game of the year edition of Fallout 3 and the high level of storytelling, the expansive and immersive world, and the level of polish on the game had made me a true believer. I played Fallout: New Vegas thinking I would be getting more of the same, however this was not the case. The potential for a great story is there, and the expansive and immersive world also reported as ordered. What this edition in the Fallout story was missing was the polish. There are several large game changing bugs in the shipped version of this game that are inexcusable for this type of a triple A release. Many of the bugs involve not being able to complete a mission the way you chose to do so, which breaks the fiction and makes the whole thing seem kind of hokey. When the bugs in your game cause your story to be laughable please delay the release. I'm an adult and I understand that something like this takes time, so please take the time you need to do it right. This habit that publishers are getting into of releasing games with known bugs is ridiculous. I paid for a completed addition to the mindspace I've devoted to my love of the Fallout world, and I want to share the vision of that world the creators have. The issue is that I cannot take part in that vision, I cannot believe that fiction, because the game is too buggy to be believable. That being said in this day and age there is still hope. I fully believe that the developers can fix the bugs that exist in their game and release the updates necessary to bring this game to the level it deserves. I liked the story and look forward to the DLC. From a technical standpoint the weapon mods are a genius addition to the series, and I hope to see that and the expanded crafting options become a series mainstay. Most of all I look forward to when this game will actually be finished and I am able to take part in the developers' newest vision of their creation. Expand
  40. Mar 5, 2011
    After 2 years without a new fallout game you expect something new right? Well you get a new City and a bunch of new quests but really there wasn't any big improvments from fallout 3. If you haven't played and of the fallouts i say go pick up fallout 3 because its a better game and you get it for about 30$ less
  41. Feb 14, 2011
    Simply a great game, and a credit to the Fallout name. The game has lasting story, and there are at least three of them. This games major feature, as with all the previous games, is its instant replay value. The only thing that makes this game a 9 at best is that it has no real innovations from the last game.
  42. Dec 19, 2010
    This game had an awful lot to contend with seeing as fallout 3 was so good and to be honest......it did it. The game is equally as good as fallout 3 with new features to go with it. The campaign holds more variaty also as i myself have so far discovered 4 different endings all with thrilling conclusions. I think its to be said that there are alot of problems with corrupt saves and what have you. I have not experianced this as of yet but as far as complaints go there seem to be alot of them. However im rating this as to what i have experianced and therefore im going to have have to say its pretty epic and was definitely a tough contender for game of the year which was won by Red Dead Redemption if anybody was intrested! Expand
  43. Oct 20, 2010
    Fallout: New Vegas has taken everything that worked well from Fallout 3 and expanded on it. The world is massive, beautiful, immersing, and jam packed full of content, quests, factions and unique characters. Iron Sights, Hardcore Mode, Weapon Mods, Factions, and countless other new features make this game a vast improvement for the franchise. The choppy framerate was easily fixed with a quick file patch, and I am sure Bethesda will be releasing some official version of the fix in the near future. Expand
  44. Oct 21, 2010
    If you liked Fallout 3, you'll like this. Its funny, dark, and the combat is nice. The addition of iron sights makes gunfighting much more enjoyable. I like the revamped companion system too.

Its got bugs, Bethesda will release patches.
  45. Oct 21, 2010
    It's just Fallout 3...IN A NEW LOCATION! There's nothing wrong with that people! Fallout 3 was awesome and it ended too quickly! Albeit, there ARE some technical issues, and I'm sure Bethesda is working around the clock to fix them! But don't let these FEW issues deter you from this game if you were crazy for Fallout 3!
  46. Oct 23, 2010
    Its basically fallout 3. It has bugs but a few save files fix that. The RPG mechanics are solid as ever, although if your not thinking very hard about the your characters future in the game then you could get very frustrated and stuck...but a couple save files, and saving every 15 minutes, eliminates those pesky moments. This game is a great RPG and I have been fully engaged into this game from the moment I put the game in. I highly recommend this game to any fallout or RPG fanatic, but for those who enjoy skillful shooting you should look elsewhere. Expand
  47. Oct 24, 2010
    Before I say my thoughts on the game, I have to say that I'm appalled at the way you people are reviewing it. Saying "Oh, I love this game but its really buggy" and then giving it a 0? That rating to me makes no sense at all....you can't give a 0 to a game you love. Or saying "I refuse to buy this game" and giving it a 1? IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME DON"T REVIEW IT! You people are tarnishing the score for this game by giving it crazy low ratings over one or two negatives while neglecting all of the positives.

Review:
    I'm about 10 hours into the game and so far I love it. Fallout 3 is my favorite game, so New Vegas has a lot to live up to for me...but so far it's doing it. Unlike Fallout 3 where you really had to go looking for side quests, New Vegas is jam packed with various things to do. I've barely traveled at all, still near the first town, played for 10 hours, and have only done 1 main quest so far. The new iron sights mechanic is excellent, as is the fact that critical strikes are played in slo-mo even if not in VATS. Caravan (the original card game within New Vegas) was hard to understand at first, but once I got the hang of it it's super fun...and a great way to make some extra caps. As far as the bugs...it has frozen on me once, but besides that I've gotten zero. I know that a lot of people are having different experiences, but come on people...there's a patch coming out soon anyways. Just save often and stop your **** because they're working on a fix.

In conclusion, this game has a lot to live up to in order to be on the level of Fallout 3, but so far it seems to be doing just that. The bugs aren't EVEN CLOSE to a game changer. Get this game, you'll love it.
  48. Oct 24, 2010
    although there is a few annoying bugs this game is still awesome game im loving it.loads of graphic violence beuitfully crafted map heaps of quirky characters and loads more.and once the serious bugs a fixed everyone will enjoy it
  49. Dec 17, 2010
    A new fallout, a new experience? Well... yes and no. It feels the same as the previous installment, but better and improved. It has more to offer and it will take you several playthroughs to see and experience everything. POSITIVE: - Voice acting is great - Factions are fun to interact with and have reputation with you. - Awesome choices that'll impact the world around you. - Companions (they also have quests that involves them)

NEGATIVE:
    - Grafics didn't realy improve over Fallout 3
    - Full of bugs (some of them quest-breaking)
    - Game ends when you finished the main quest.

So, if you enjoyed Fallout 3, or you're new to the series, it's a journey you want to take.
  50. Oct 25, 2010
    Release now, patch later. It's a sentiment that has perforated the gaming industry over the last decade, and it is perhaps more applicable today than it has ever been before. Fallout New Vegas is no different; Obsidian release a game with countless bugs, opting to throw out quick fixes after release. It's sad because without these bugs, Fallout New Vegas could have quite easily been one of the most hard hitting RPGs of the year and would have easily lived up to its name sake. With them however it is diminished and feels like a great novel released with smudged words and spelling mistakes. Luckily for us Obsidian have been more than forthcoming with the fixes and the game is well on its way to being the stable title that it should have been from the outset, especially when you consider that the engine is nearly a decade old.

New Vegas has been a controversial title to say the least. Widely praised for raising the bar over Fallout 3 when it comes to story, dialogue and voice acting, Fallout New Vegas is clearly the sequel to Fallout 1 and 2 that a lot of fans have been waiting for. The phrase, "it's the game Fallout 3 should have been," is a familiar one at this stage. Things are far more visceral in New Vegas, but whilst the serious tone introduced with 3 is still prominent in the title, New Vegas reintroduces some of the madness that made Fallout 1 and 2 so awesome.

On the other hand very little has changed outside of the strength of the story. Combat is still the same. The graphics are still the same. The world itself will be very familiar to the millions of gamers that played Fallout 3, which will explain why Obsidian didn't feel it needed to spend a great deal of time reintroducing the wasteland. And if you appreciated the hand holding that was provided by the Achievement System in 3, you'll be at a loss in New Vegas, where side quests are discovered not through pointers but largely through exploration and discovery, meaning that fans of a more linear experience will probably find the game quite intimidating.

And that's what made Fallout New Vegas such an amazing title in my mind. As opposed to faking complexity but delivering linearity - ala Fallout 3 - New Vegas is quite an in-depth and complicated game. It tries to strike a balanced between the largely inaccessible and complex nature of the RPGs of old, and the more guided and user friendly nature of today's Action games. In some regards it doesn't quite hit the mark and does at times feel a little contrived, Obsidian largely succeed in this objective and deliver what is probably the most traditional RPG experience in the last 5 years.

Fallout New Vegas - much like Fallout 3 is an acquired taste, and if you're looking for an accessible, easy to play and relaxing game this probably isn't your cup of tea. On top of that players looking for an evolution on Fallout 3 are also going to be mildly disappointed as - outside of the obvious improvements - Fallout New Vegas is largely the same game.

Whilst some would argue that it didn't deserve a stand alone release, I would disagree. Fallout New Vegas has a distinctly different feel to it than the, "guy leaves vault," nature of the previous Fallout titles, and Obsidians efforts were clearly focused on bringing something new to the table, perhaps effecting a change in direction for the franchise. And whilst I certainly cannot say that it is perfect, I am someone who wholeheartedly believes that Fallout New Vegas IS the game that Fallout 3 should have been.

If Obsidian had released this title 2 years ago, I would be giving it 9.5 out of 10. Considering this isn't 2 years ago, and factoring in the lacklustre graphics, unchanged core game play and overall familiarity of the world I can't honestly give it a score higher than 8, based on the strong story, character progression, dialogue and my overall awe at the game Obsidian has delivered.

Here's hoping that Obsidian get another crack at the Fallout Universe, perhaps even a continuation of the Couriers story in New Vegas 2.
  51. Oct 25, 2010
    Fallout 3? Excellent game. Fallout: New Vegas? Great game. The boys that work for Bethesda have put out another good game, but I find that it it not as good as Fallout 3 . For one some of the creatures in this game can really kick your ass in a hurry. Another reason? My first play through I skipped past most of the side quests and just did the story advancing quests and I found that all of the quests got really bunched up and it was pretty confusing trying to decide which one to do at the moment. Story; superb, like any fallout game. Expand
  52. Oct 26, 2010
    I love this game! I cant stop playing it. Ive gone to bed way too late every night since its come out.
    More quests, customizable weapons, and a western sort of feel to the game too. More of an interesting story line for sure! Graphics are the same as Fallout 3, though, there is a lot more depth & many improvements to the game.

I seriously recommend that you try playing it on Hardcore.
    It adds even more to the game ;-)

Only a few glitches, like fire ants walking around with their thorax' in the ground. Rad Scorpions get stuck on a rock and also walk around with their heads underground. But most of the time its all good.
  53. Oct 26, 2010
    I have played the game for roughly 6 hours so far, and I have had NO crashes, and NO freezing. Not to say that there are no problems. As a few people mentioned there are numerous NPC path-finding issues. My player also likes to occasionally bob his weapon up and down for no good reason. There have been a few graphical issues, my favorite being a "mysterious floating hammer", that was actually kinda funny. But overall, I am really enjoying the game. I was really worried from reading the initial reviews, but it seems that the major show-stopping bugs have been stomped. A few aspects of the game are a little confusing, especially considering that I had invested over 100 hours in Fallout 3. Also there are some real issues with the difficulty curve. If you are just getting started, try not to walk across any open sandy areas. I've gotten my butt stomped a few times by the mutated insects here. Also, getting stung in this game has a far more deleterious effect than it did in Fallout 3. You get woozy, your display blurs, and your health drops. You need to use the anti-venom or it is real easy to die. I still have yet to play a game of "Caravan" because it seems too confusing and could not find any sort of tutorial to ease me into it. But, like I said, I am having fun. Really, at the end of the day, isn't that what matters? Expand
  54. Oct 26, 2010
    Why do i get the feeling i just paid $100 dollars to run Beta for a large gaming production? I paid this money so that i can put a disk in my PC load on a game and float away in an imaginary world, instead im stuck patching this, installing a lost .dll file, changing a wordpad doc while clapping my heads and spinning around backwards saying i got suckered by a large game production company. EPIC FAIL. As much as i still want to play a finished version of this game, me and all of those having these problems shouldt be put through this.. i didint pay 'Beth' money so that i can read up forums and fix the game myself!! Expand
  55. Oct 27, 2010
    Fallout New Vegas feels more add-on to Fallout 3 than it does a stand alone title. With the same game engine as itâ
  56. Oct 27, 2010
    I am disgusted by the things I see written by users on this site. Everyone feels the need to compare this game to Fallout 3, when a better comparison would be to compare it to the first two games of this juggernaut franchise. Scoring a game low simply because it was developed on a broken engine that is a updated version of another engine that is nearly 10 years old is absolutely ludicrous. Games have bugs. Period. No one scored Modern Warfare 2 ridiculously low when it was released even though people could fly across the map and stab you, or because people could use infinite care packages to gain the upper hand. To top it all off, that game was released by the evil empire of the industry, Activision, who are notorious at allowing buggy games through, with no intention of fixing them. Instead people reserve their hatred for one of the smaller "big" companies in the industry, because fanboys seem to dominate this rather elite "thing of ours." So let's look at the facts shall we... Fallout 3 was released in 2008 with almost all of the same glitches and bugs present in FO:NV. And they all got fixed. The problem isn't the game, it is the engine. A weak engine allows bugs to slip through. At least Bethesda gave us another game while we waited for the id Tech 5 engine to be tweaked for the eventual development and release of Fallout 4. So rather than becoming so tied up with graphics, bugs that will take mere months to correct, or any other petty crap that childish fanboys can dream up, lets look at the real meat and potatoes...the game itself. Fallout 3 was good. Fallout: New Vegas is a masterpiece. In Fallout 3 we were treated with a beautifully horrific wonderland to explore, but we got that at the expense of the story. Fallout: NV returns us to the original world of Fallout by bringing in the storytellers of the first two arcs. In New Vegas I have met characters that I actually care about. Like Heck Gunderson, who has lost his son and wants nothing more than to find him. Or Chief Hanlon, a NCR Ranger who is a masterful storyteller in his own right. Even the evil and absolutely terrifying Legate Lanius, a monster, but a monster you care about. These people, and the day-to-day struggle for survival they are embroiled in, create a storyline that rivals some of the most story driven games on the market today. But even storylines aren't everything, and in this respect FO:NV shines as well. From a re-imagined leveling system to the crafting of healing items and ammo, this games allows for a player's creativity to take them through the adventure, and not the game's development and design. Even the difficulty of the game has been improved with harder enemies and the all-new Hardcore Mode...a first for the industry. Hardcore Mode in itself creates a completely different game for players to experience. Even if a person wants to attack the tech side of this game, I would simply retort with a bevy of moments that this game severely outshines it's predecessor. Like when you walk up over a hill and are greeted with the first sight of New Vegas shining across a nighttime wasteland. Or when you watch the sunset from deep inside the canyons of the Colorado River. Or when you first lay your eyes upon the monstrosity of the Hoover Dam. Or even when you first walk into the slums of Freeside and you hear the low murmur of partying, gambling, and the inhabitants of yet another slum. As a designer myself I want to point your attention to a fellow designer, one of the minds behind the amazing Gears Of War games, Cliff Blezinski..."Games are created by humans, and no human is infallible. Bugs get through, but they can be fixed. What counts at the end of the day is whether or not the game in itself is good. Remember there is always a patch, but there isn't a patch for a bad game." So rather than trying to burn a wonderful world and it developers and designers, grow up and see what is really there. While this game isn't perfect (and no game you ever play will be), it is more deserving than most. A solid 9 out of 10. Expand
  57. Oct 28, 2010
    I have just over eight hours into this game and have found everything that I loved about Fallout 3 is still included in FO:NV. Some new strategies and aspects to the game that expand the previous ways to do the game. I have not had a single instance of a bug or of any weird happenings since beginning the game.
  58. Oct 30, 2010
    I loved Fallout 3. I also had the opportunity to play NV at E3 and I dismissed it as more of the same. But more of the same, and it's a lot more, is actually fine by me. The small additions have made the intensified the feeling of survival. The new world is rich and full of surprises. My only criticism with the story is that it starts weak, there's no creepy vault to emerge from and no interesting plot hub like megaton. The game is a bit buggy, but so was Fallout 3 and because the game is so rich with content this is somewhat excusable. It's more of the same but it's still one of the best games out there. Expand
  59. Oct 30, 2010
    This game really captured the essence of Vegas and held my interest for hours on end. It has a wide variety of options and side-quests and you can also decide the outcome of the game. Though there are some bugs that will probably be fixed by updates it does not take the addictiveness away from this thrilling game. I would suggest this game to anyone who loves expansive worlds where there is always something to do. I also suggest buying it on Xbox 360 because an exclusive DLC (downloadable content) is coming out on Xbox only. Expand
  60. Nov 10, 2010
    the game is somewhat decent now after multiple patches although you still can't use the autosave feature. if you're new to Fallout it'll be effin amazing for you. But for those of us who were privileged enough to play Fallout 3 in all of its glory then New Vegas is a cheap rip-off that should've stayed in the able hands of Bethesda and far away from the short-bus that is Obsidian
  61. Nov 12, 2010
    Many of the bugs are so significant as to make the game unplayable. During the course of one playthrough I counted over 40 minor glitches and two significant glitches. One, while not "game ending", completely ruined and closed me off from one of the three major factions in the game. The other trapped me in a doorway, which required going back to a save 30 minutes prior.
    While Fallout: New
    Vegas's story makes for an excellent, engrossing extension of the franchise, it verges on "not worth it" territory because of the glitches. Even the endgame scenario was glitchy, and in the end I didn't actually finish it. I might come back for a second playthrough when Obsidian releases some updates, but in the meantime I'm going to suggest my friends play Enslaved instead. Expand
  62. Nov 21, 2010
    When i first heard of New Vegas i was excited,i was thinking new idea's new twist better graphics staitforward yet still complicating at times. With this all comments of Glitched i only rented it but i did finish the story, though i did not encounter and severe glitches maybe some minor lag here and there. But i was still dissapointed in that Bethseda never changed their graphics or realism that many people want in many games now. Since they also had 2 yrs to make at least some minor changes, they didn't though. This though is how i would Overall say about it.

(Gameplay)

Originality-(+10)

Total Points: 90/140
    6.4 (Rounded)
  63. Dec 18, 2010
    "Fallout: New Vegas" was addicting and engrossing. Those qualities themselves are enough of a justification for an "8" rating. Obsidian Entertainment (formerly Black Isle Studios) developed the first two Fallout games, so blending Bethseda's "Fallout 3" style made the storyline refreshing and even somewhat deeper, as opposed to making just another clone "Fallout 3".

Sadly, numerous bugs
    and glitches hinder the gameplay at times, and although many have been patched across consoles and the PC, it's not acceptable to release a game so unpolished. Defensibly, the world is huge, and it's a massive game...but this kind of buggy release should never become a precedent in the industry. I also personally believe that the engine the game uses (a heavily modified version from "Fallout 3") is outdated, and should die a fiery death in lieu of new updated version.

Ultimately, the game is well worth the money spent on it, and whether your patrolling the wastelands for the first time or a hardened Fallout veteran...this game is badass, and I can't wait for the DLC.
  64. Mar 3, 2011
    Fallout New Vegas had great potential. I played through multiple times and enjoyed the endings that relfected my decisions. That being said, the overabundance of bugs, the propensity of the game to freeze and the game feeling like I was playing fallout 3 in a different location made me lower my score from around 8.5 or 9 to a 6. Bethesda can do much better!
  65. Mar 9, 2011
    New Vegas is a strange beast. At first, I was unimpressed with its seeming failure to improve on anything from Fallout 3. In fact, some aspects of the game actually seemed to have devolved, at first. The game can be glitchy and you will notice how unpolished it is rather quickly, especially in dialogue and during multi-step quests. The content feels slopped on, somewhat haphazardly. I found these flaws annoying, at first, but the bottom line came to be that New Vegas is simply, utterly addictive. There is a LOT more combat in New Vegas than in Fallout 3, and you will level much faster. Quests are quicker to complete and you have a lot of choices with where you want to take the main quest line. The world is smaller than Fallout 3, but with seemingly just as many locations. You will do far less roaming through the vast emptiness of the wasteland and far more interacting with NPCs, fighting enemies, looting abandoned gas stations and shacks and stumbling upon intriguing caves, buildings and settlements. The world of New Vegas is also significantly more populated than the Fallout 3 world, giving the game a much more interactive feel. The Reputation system, back from Fallout 2, makes a lot more sense than the karma system (even though it still exists). Essentially, New Vegas packed Fallout 3 into a smaller world, with more enemies, NPCs, quests, factions, weapons and locations. Unlike Fallout, where it could easily take hours to complete a quest or level up, you can churn out several quests and level at will in New Vegas. This makes for a very satisfying gaming experience, even though the game content could have spent another 4-6 months in development. Expand
  66. Mar 9, 2011
    EASY FIX
    xbox360 Fallout New Vegas has many same troubles that have a easy fix. Game was very laggy for play and it took long to load game area. FIX: Get rid of 90% - 99% of YOUR game Saves. Thia also works with many other games on xbox360 Game now runs smooth and no crashes or laggy play.
  67. Apr 16, 2011
    I adore this game. After sinking many fun-filled hours into Fallout 3, I was very excited about New Vegas. The formula is still pretty much the same: wander a wasteland taking on side quests and tracking down and purchasing items which are managed by your Pip-Boy, while killing monsters using the VATS targetting system, all in 2008 graphics which have aged quite well.
    Sure, things are
    pretty much the same, but anyone who gets p*ssed off by that is missing the point of the game. The Mojave Wasteland is tremendous fun to explore, bound with constant surprises. As an example, I once came out of an abandoned robotics store to be greeted by three wild grannies straight out of Monty Python! The game is truly brilliant, and the excellent additions of the factions and reputations system is a very welcome one. There are also quite a few subtle touches too, such as being able to craft ammunition. The graphics may be old, but I have never had so much fun with Fallout. Expand
  68. Jul 21, 2011
    This is not the sequel that Fallout 3 deserved. Other than the fact that it is pretty massive, the game itself still feels like an add-on, and in many ways the price reflects this - out for less than a year and you can already pick it up for a tenner. A number of people have picked up on the bugs, which yes, are relatively frequent (Missing "Companions", graphics flickering, pop-up, etc), but that isn't the worst part. What I find so annoying is that the missions this time around are very repetitive. It's a case of "go here, talk to person A, who tells you to find person B, who says to go back to A, then C, and back to B, etc etc etc..." It just seems that the missions lack the flair that Fallout 3 had. And on top of that, although some of the scenery graphics are amazing, most of them still drag out when you have to walk miles to your next point-of-interest and there is nothing on the way to distract you from the monotony of the desert. There's some nice touches, but nowhere near enough for what I expected. Expand
  69. Jul 4, 2011
    In my opinion, this game is one of the best open world games you could find. The Mojave wasteland is full of locations that are fun to explore, and enemies to shoot. The main quest is also filled with many decisions that effect the outcome of the game. You will probably not dislike much with this game, (except for the many glitches). So if you are looking for a game to buy, I suggest you get this one. Expand
  70. Jul 14, 2011
    If you like broken betas and no support from a team that is to busy making DLC to fix the problems with this pile of "bugs", them it is a must have! And do not think that is expansion pack for fallout 3 innovates in any way from its great predecessor. Don´t waste your time and money on this, wait for Deus EX: HR instead.
  71. May 22, 2012
    This game was released BROKEN, and with ample time to fix it with patches it is still unacceptably BROKEN.
    The only reason the critics gave it a higher score is that there's practically no such thing as "game criticism". The only reason fans give it a higher score is that they are willing to tolerate the bugs and glitches and CRASHES because they love the franchise. This game is not the
    franchise itself, and it is far, far, far more BROKEN than Fallout 3, which had only the occasional glitch. It is not my Xbox, my Xbox is fine. I do blame Microsoft for one thing, though: not revoking Bethesda's and Obsidian's license to publish on the Xbox. Expand
  72. Nov 17, 2011
    for what was a very creative and fun game series, fallout NV and 3 set an all time low. Sure, fallout 3 and NV pulled the series to 3d and open, and i admit it was kind of fun, but that fun was ruined by the major bugs, freezes, glitches and crashes i experienced on my copy. it happened on my PC,ps3 and 360 copies so its not my system. This is a very crap game that does not deserve a sequel. If 4 gets made, it must not be developed by obsidian and not use that crap gamebryo engine. I cant even tell you how bad the DLC makes it. Its unplayable after 3 hours gameplay. its like it purposly freezes to tick you off! Expand
  73. Jan 28, 2012
    this is the first fallout game i bought and i love it. my friend told me it was skyrim with guns so i bought it. to all of you wondering what fallout is its basically skyrim with guns. it does have alot of glitches but i still love it it has GREAT gameplay i highly reccomend
  74. Mar 7, 2012
    Fallout Las Vegas is good game about las vegas. You play as man who go to las vegas to get drunk, gamble, and sex, but then gangsters shoot you in head. When you wake up you are halliucinations that it is future where there was nucleare bomb. even though it was future world there were also romans there but maybe that is because you are dreaming. i like how you can kill anyone in las vegas even julius caesar (so you are like Brutal). one thing i did not like was you never find out if man wake up from dream or not. also when you try to go to las vegas at start of game you are killed by flies and monster from aliens. This was overall fun game 7/10 Expand
  75. Mar 15, 2012
    Best game of 2010. Excellent work. A good story. Great ending. Excellent replayability. I'm a fan of the second part. New Vegas did not disappoint me. I do not understand people who give low scores. The creators have made a masterpiece.
  76. Mar 19, 2012
    I loved this game. I loved this game before a lot of bugs were fixed. I loved this game even while I raged after it froze my Xbox, or after a quest NPC randomly fell through the earth, or when the Strip's gate randomly locked again. That says a lot to the quality of the story and RP elements of the game. Every DLC is worth more than charged (though I didn't enjoy Dead Money all that much), and the bugs seem to have been ironed out. Just going by the number of playthroughs and the number of hours I put into Fallout: NV, I have to give it a high rating. Expand
  77. Mar 23, 2012
    Between Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I find New Vegas to be the more entertaining game. New Vegas has many more quests, factions you can interact with and that excellent Fallout style world to explore. Companions have much more life in this game, the main quest can end many different ways, and you can blow all your caps at the casinos. The atmosphere doesn't feel as apocalyptic, the beginning of the game is mostly linear, and Cazadores will give you nightmares. The game adds a "hard" mode which requires you to keep track of your hunger, thirst, and sleep. It makes for a fun challenge if you're the type of person who prefers a difficult game. The game has many great things about it. However, it also suffers from many problems. The game is still on Gamebryo, and so suffers from the engine's problems. Textures might not render properly, graphics can clip, things like that. The game has an extremely annoying tendency to freeze on loading screens, forcing you to restart and lose progress (save often) and there are many game-breaking bugs just waiting to be found. If you're willing to wade through the mess of bugs (and it can be extremely difficult to ignore them) New Vegas is an excellent game, with a lot of story to fill up your time and keep you waiting for Fallout: 4.
    True Score: 8.6, rounded up to 9.
  78. May 2, 2012
    In my opinion, Fallout: New Vegas is vastly superior to it's predecessor; Fallout 3

There are more quests, more locations, more interesting things to do. I particualrly enjoy playing 'Caravan' a card game.. within the game. Yes.

The story is more engaging, though it starts to lose my interest near the end, probably because of my incessant combing of the wasteland for stuff to do, to the
    point of needless inventory management and tedious leveling. I'm not sure if I can fault the game for that however.

The DLC for NV is a bit of a different matter. I really only enjoyed 'Old World Blues' (At the time of this wrigting I have not played 'The Lonesome Road') The other two, 'Dead Money' and 'Honest Hearts' were... pointless really. They felt like needlessly padded sub-quests.. The initial 'oh wow this is new' wears off quickly.

I highly suggest 'Modding' this game for full enjoyment. There is a huge community of modders over at newvegasnexus with plenty of great content.
  79. Jun 27, 2012
    First, I would like to state that my review concerns the latest, fully patched, version of the game, not the game as it was right after release. That being said I would like start with the game's flaws, as even this game is not perfect. The graphics speaks for itself I think - Bethesda's old engine just cannot dream to be on par with latest productions, but graphics is not what this game is about. Apart from that there are some glitches that may occasionally resurface like character ending up stuck in some invisible force field, items and critters not spawning correctly in some areas (re-loading the location usually helps), script triggers not working properly at times, rather long load times. All those may be annoying but are not able to really spoil the fun. What we got from Obsidian is nothing less but a true blood Fallout RPG, for the first time since 1998 and Fallout 2. Not only is it a rightful continuation to the franchise, but also a grand improvement comparing to painfully simplistic Fallout 3. The main plot is pretty simple, like in all Fallout games, but this time the player has a truly extraordinary control over the outcome of the story. Each and every choice influences the Mojave Desert area in some way. Completing quests may not have consequences immediately but later in the game our previous decisions may prove crucial. Aside from the main storyline there are at dozens of side quests - some of them longer, some shorter - all well-designed and interesting. In FNV there are many old-new features. Old because they were present in the original Fallouts 1 & 2, new because they were drastically simplified or totally omitted in F3. Some of these are: Levelable companions with interesting backgrounds and a "companion wheel" to control their behaviour. Traits are back! Reputation and fraction system. Maintenance bar for weapons and armours as well as minimal requirements to use weapons. Various ammunition types. Multitude of new, useful and interesting perks. Last but not least: Hardcore mode - a nightmare of Fallout 3 fans (or rather - of Fallout 3's simplicity fans). In this optional difficulty level, some of Bethesda's simplifications, like instantly-healing stimpacks or weightless ammo, vanish and the game itself gets a survival aspect, never present before, PC needs to sleep, eat and hydrate regularily - I strongly recommend ticking it on. One more thing - world map. The area in NV is a bit smaller than that presented in F3 but is more densely packed with locations and monster encounters - what should be a good news to those bored with running through a nearly empty, nearly critterless desert of Capital Wasteland. Overall - the game has some minor flaws but they should not interfere with experiencing one of the best RPGs ever created by man. The game (without dlcs) has a gemetime potential of even 100+ hours if you want to discover every location and do every quest. Moreover, if you want to exploit every possibility and gain every achievement you will want to start over and take a different path, siding with other factions and completing quests in alternative ways. Objectively, my score should be 9,5, because of the flaws, but I give it 10 as in reality it does not deserve less. Buy and play. Amen. Expand
  80. Aug 23, 2012
    The game is *good* but is nothing new, still feels like I playing The Elder Scrolls III with better graphics and with guns. Bethesda needs to move on, to a more up to date format. Starting to feel like a over kill. Using the same format for 10 years is a bit to much.

I think is sad when you get a game, and you can predict 95% of the game before you star playing. And more sad when you
    find out that your predictions were spot on. Expand
  81. Jul 14, 2013
    Like all fallout games new Vegas is fun to play and has an intriguing story all while being one of the best post apocalyptic games out there. while not as good s fallout 3 new vegas is defiantly a great game.
  82. Aug 15, 2013
    Shares my top spot of best game ever with Fallout 3. Simply amazing. Great character development, great story, many ways to play, post apocalyptic world etc. Can't hope for much more. Load times are long, yes. Some bugs exist, yes. Who cares when the game is simply brilliant.
  83. Mar 7, 2011
    Its such a shame this game is so glitchy because I really wanted to enjoy it. I loved Fallout 3. I put about 100+ hours into it, including the expansions. But, this is not that game, it is just so broken. There's too many examples to give, one is a shop that I literally cannot buy from because everytime I do, the game freezes. The VATS occasionally fails, leaving your character standing still in slow motion until he is killed. Important characters can spawn in the wrong places and enemies FREQUENTLY become stuck in objects. It just kills the experience and really and the only fair way to describe this is as a faulty product. Its that simple. I have lots of games and none of them have issues of this magnitude. On the plus side, if you have the patience to get past the glitches (that you will encounter A LOT) the main story arc is actually a lot better than Fallout 3's because it allows for you to have a lot more significant impact with your decisions and makes you feel like you really are making the game your own, for me, this is where the appeal in games like this lies so I have had fun when the game has been working, The faction system is also done very well. Its not just "Loved, neutral, hated." You can develop very complex relations with New Vegas' inhabitants. but they still need to do something about the dialogue. Its very wooden the way NPCs just stand still during conversations. There's no life to them like there is in games like Mass Effect or Red Dead and think that should be addressed in future. Expand
  84. Jan 12, 2013
    New Vegas is a great game, but it just freezes constantly. I'm running the game on a brand new 360, with the game installed to the harddrive, yet it still freezes every twenty minutes. Don't get this unless you like having to replay sections over and over agian due to bugs.
  85. Nov 6, 2010
    This game is a great, the guns are great, the story is great, the map is great. Only one thing gets me annoyed, the amount of time it takes to load when you fast travel. Other than that a great addition to the fallout family.
  86. Nov 29, 2010
    Truly an epic sequel as it is far more expansive and atmospheric than its predeccesor, infact the only reason i am not giving this a 10/10 is simply to do with all the glitches. They are not just small ones too, there are ones that will make you start from a previous save or even from the beginning of the game entirely. I hope that Bethesda really cracks down on these glitches and releases the patch to make this spectacular game just that much better.

But that aside the gameplay definintely feels better with the addition of the iron sights and the new weapons makes it fun blowing of the heads of the many creatures of the wastelands. The weapons vary from simple hand gun all the way to bolt action 50. cal sniper, but if fighting isn't your thing maybe a bit of gambling will make this game good for you as there is always places to gamble in the strip. Overall it's a must buy there is too many things to list, that's how expansive it is so really get out there and get yourselfe a copy you won't be disapointed
  87. Oct 30, 2010
    BIG ups to the Fallout crew, this is one outstanding game. I played the hell out of F 3 and all of the expansions. New Vegas is the perfect compliment to them. Bottom line is this...if you love Fallout 3 there is no way you should miss this gem. Get it. Now.
  88. Nov 5, 2010
    New Vegas is an update Fallout 3, but without the charm. Obisidian solved huge problems such as the companion system and the easier to find ammo. The walking animations and real-time gameplay is greatly improved. The world is larger than the Capital Wasteland and the weapon mods at depth. However at the same time this game is missing the Fallout 3 charm. Certain Moments in Fallout 3 just hit you and change the way you see games. Those moments are non-existent. Not only that but the story was pretty generic but there were a lot references to previous Fallout games. They aren't implemented well and makes the game come off unoriginal. The cast is lively but not memorable. To be honest i expected more on the story/dialouge/character. I mean the gameplay is great and fresh, but ultimately New Vegas fails to separate itself from not only Fallout 3, but 1 and 2 also. Expand
  89. Feb 15, 2011
    I will say that I feel it was an intelligent move for them to call this Fallout: New Vegas and not Fallout 4, mainly because it's extremely similar to Fallout 3, with even the graphics being the same. The engine clearly shows its age in this one, sharing the same old outdated graphics as Fallout 3, as well as mechanics and its own fair share of glitches. Yes, there are a decent chunk of glitches, but none of them are game breaking. They mainly consist of people floating on occasion as well as items vanishing. And of course, the rare but inevitable game crash that seems to plague the Gamebryo engine. By installing the game onto your hard drive, you definitely cut down on some of the glitches, as well as graphic tearing, which seems to persist throughout the game. To move on, the storyline on New Vegas is relatively weak, in my opinion. Never once did I honestly care too much about what was going on in the world, nor did I care about which side that I took. The side quests in the game are about as decent as you would expect, some of them being cliche and pointless, while others are quite a lot of fun. As mentioned earlier, the graphics are subpar for this day and age, and the sound quality is average. Even though you can aim down your sights on most of the guns, this new mechanic is essentially worthless, considering there's no aim assist, making it virtually impossible to hit enemies where you want to. Since this is the case, it still forces you to use VATS most of the time, like in Fallout 3, which is definitely something I didn't enjoy. Even though the actual world map is supposedly equivalent to Fallout 3's, I feel that it's not nearly as big. All of the locations are in the center of the map, and it will not let you explore any of the corners of the map, which make up at least a third of it. Mountains block your path when you try and leave, and the locations are so tightly clustered that it doesn't feel as realistic as Fallout 3 did. It says that it has more locations than Fallout 3; what they don't mention, is that a third of these locations literally consist of half of a burned down shack with one metal box inside that contains a stimpack and a cot. There are hardly any details for many locations, giving you in actuality less places to explore. The factions have very little meaning, other than restricting what clothing you wear, as well as which enemies shoot you on sight. If you steal from or kill any faction members than your reputation with them goes down, which is still essentially pointless. It's kind of difficult to get on a faction's good side (i.e. Powder Gangers) when they shoot you on sight before you even have a chance to interact with them. Weapon modding is slightly absurd: you have a choice of a few mods to insert into your weapon, but the mods aren't anything exciting. Crafting items is also bland, resulting in either new ammunition of breaking it down. The difficulty is embarassing at times. On the standard difficulty, you will usually kill enemy monsters in a few hits. But then, you'll encounter random monsters that suddenly see a huge difficulty spike, where they'll annihiliate you in three hits. Overall, the game is still pieced together well, and despite all of its flaws, it definitely provides an entertaining predecessor if you enjoyed Fallout 3. It doesn't surpass it in any way, rather, it seems a step back, but if you loved Fallout 3 and need more, than this is the game for you. Recommended to fans of the series and RPG's, but I can't recommend to FPS lovers. Expand
  90. Dec 19, 2010
    I'm going to rate this game based on several categories, then combine them with different weights and come to a conclusion.

Gameplay: 9 - Pretty much the same, fun Fallout 3 gameplay with minor changes. I enjoy the combat much more because it is more difficult. Enemies actually wear armor and can be quite difficult. The main storyline isn't so great, but I really enjoyed the sidequests.
    There was also a lot more mini quests that you could do. Factions are also a nice improvement with reputation for each one.
    Playability: 7 - Not where the game shines. Buggy, glitchy, laggy, and crashy. I wrote this after the patch on the Xbox 360 and they still haven't fixed it all. Controls work well, and I for one enjoy that it is somewhat difficult to line up a shot on a fast moving target. If only it wasn't so badly bugged.
    Replayability: 9 - Very fun to play again as an evil or good character. The story changes quite a lot if you change your playstyle your second or third time through. The only problem is the bugs might drive some away after a while. I haven't ever ran into a game-breaking bug though.
    Sounds: 9 - Guns sound pretty good (not the pots and pans sound of CoD, but also not the realistic sound of Battlefield), as do explosions. Character voices are pretty good. Ambient noises are great, and with a good sound system you can always hear some thing going on.
    Overall: 8.6 - If you are like me, and don't have much of a problem with the occasional bug and crash, then you will be fine and love to play this game over and over. Sadly, these things can happen and definitely didn't help it's score. I would love to have given this game a 9+, but can't with all the bugs it still has. If you looking for more Fallout 3, with a new look, then you are looking at the right game.
  91. Aug 3, 2011
    Great game. It takes the best elements from Fallout 3 and improves upon them. The various quests and factions are superb, and even the ending is great. Hardly anything about this game can be criticized in earnest. I can't wait to see what the next Fallout is like.
  92. Nov 2, 2010
    If you liked Fall Out 3, you will love this game. While I do think the story suffers in comparison to Fall Out 3, Bethesda has outdown itself with a huge map to explore. Seemingly every character has a side quest for your pleasure. Hands down a must buy for RPG fans. Many people complain about bugs, but there have been some patches since the release date, and I have seen few problems. This game is great. Expand
  93. Nov 4, 2010
    Imagine, if you will, a really, really big expansion pack to Fallout 3. That is basically what Fallout: New Vegas is. In many ways Fallout: New Vegas is bigger than Fallout 3 because it contains more guns, locations and people. Only a few features were added (e.i. Companion Wheel, true iron sights), but everything else was kept the same, which is a very good thing. Karma is still there, but it plays less of a role to the new Reputation system. Their are many factions (some petty, some not so much), and all your choices impact your relationship with them. While still being extremely fun, the game manages to have a downside. I guess a consequence of having so much stuff in your game is that numerous bugs and glitches will be present. And their are many. Most are more annoying than game breaking, but it still sucks when your half way through a quest and the game freezes or you find out you can't go through a certain door because you completed a certain quest a certain way (and yes, their is a glitch like that). But all in all, this game is fun. The locations, people, guns, and heck, even the enemies are cool. Expand
  94. Nov 7, 2010
    The game has a couple of glaring bugs, but they will probably be fixed shortly. I think reviewers have taken to overlooking bugs when they know they won't persist for long in the game. It's a good sequel to a great game - following the pretty standard recipe for making a good sequel to a game like fallout 3. Everything the original had, and a lot of complexity added in game play mechanics.

If you just load up the game and start playing it, you won't see immediately obvious differences from 3. Basically all this means is that the graphics haven't changed dramatically. But just about everything else has. The item creation system is great, you can mod weapons, there are separate martial arts moves, special attributes have more direct effects on your game play experience etc. In hardcore mode, many more items in the game have some importance as you have to eat, sleep and stay hydrated. They tweaked armor and combat to be more fun. The only real downside I saw to this game was that the story didn't seem as profound to me as the first one. It's basically about a bunch of known or predictable factions fighting over ownership of a dam, just in the backdrop of a post-apocalyptic world. There are a couple of sci-fi style plot twists but nothing really unpredictable. This game seems more sandbox than 3.
  95. Nov 12, 2010
    Yet another excellent installment in the Fallout series made famous for its post apocalypse setting with a 50s flair to it. It is just filled with endless depth and a deep enriching story. Unfortunately it also is plagued by a few bugs that detract from what could have been perfection. But overall it is a must have for any RPG or science fiction fan.
  96. Nov 11, 2010
    It's glitchy, and there are are bugs, but it is still a good game. If you are a fan of RPGs, Fallout games and any other Bethesda games, you should not skip this game. You will encounter problems, but this game is still good. I have spent over 50 hours playing this game, have encountered probably 50 glitches and bugs, but they haven't really affected my opinion on the game. If you liked Fallout 3, you will like New Vegas Expand
  97. Feb 15, 2013
    I REALLY enjoyed Fallout 3 GOTY. Played through all the DLC, found the story engaging, the enemies interesting, and the progression of the story fun. Inventory management was a bit of a beast, but all things considered, among the top 10% of RPGs I've played. So I should love New Vegas, right? That's what I thought. It has been a chore to play. It all stems from the lack of connection I feel to the lead character. In FO3 we're born, we have a childhood, we're searching for our father, always one step behind. This story opens up with our lead guy being shot and left for dead, then revived by a guy who doesn't really like us...nor dislike us, and a town that is as ambivalent. Hoping to chase down the killers, as you're in the middle of a civil war, just doesn't create the same connection as FO3. My biggest complaint is level progression and mission management. It seems like about 2/3rds of the time, I'm underleveled for my current mission. Whether it's because I need to hack a computer above my science level, or pick a lock that is too hard for my character, it's just a roadblock and senseless push to fight the same enemies over and over again, to grind it out. To make matters worse, the loading screens are everywhere. At some point I started avoided going in to buildings, so I wouldn't have to wait 30 seconds to load, just to find out there was nothing of interest. Fetch quest "quick teleport" here, then there, then there, then back to the mission, and you've spent almost 2 minutes in loading time, 10 minutes of gameplay. That's not good.

Throw in the constant need to drink from your canteen, find scarce ammo, repair clothes and guns...playing this game is a job. I already have a job, so my relaxing hobby of videogames, isn't where I hope to spend more time working.

Lastly...if I wanted to read as much as this game requires, I would sit down with an epic novel. Hack a computer, then read 8 pages of small green text. Have a conversation, read 20 conversation branches that repeat over and over again. I LOVE the Mass Effect trilogy, and people bash that for all the conversations, but at least they are visually appealing, and I feel like there is a reason to have them. In FO:NV...it's just one chore to the next. Just a very disappointing game, in a franchise I have enjoyed. I have not finished this game, but I've invested over 30 hours, and as someone who hates abandoning a game part way through, I would be stunned if anything happens in the next 5 hours, to grab my attention enough to care to finish it. On the positive side, I did not encounter more than 1 or 2 game-killing glitches in my 30 hours of play. Perhaps patches resolved those major concerns from early gamers.
  98. Nov 19, 2010
    I just passed the 100 hour mark and I'm not even half way through this incredible game. Anyone who rates this lower than a 9.5 is an uncultured philistine. Obsidian deserves the eternal gratitude of the gaming community for actually managing to evolve the Fallout formula, while most other big franchises are devolving into crap (Grand Theft Auto, Fable, Castlevania, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, etc.). Sure, it has crashed on me a few times but I never lose more than a few minutes. I would wait for a patch to fix the bugs if i could stop playing. The overall score HAS to be a 10! Expand
  99. Feb 22, 2011
    Good game tbh but more of a really big add-on pack, i did enjoy it i really did but not tooo much has changed. Now im not expecting it to be like 27163765million years ahead of fallout 3 but when a new game comes out you expect a lot of new features and stuff but this just didnt bring the feeling of the deserved wait for the game we were all expecting.

1. Feb 11, 2011
    Until Fallout: New Vegas gets a major patch that fixes the problems, it can only be recommended to gamers who have a high threshold for frustration.
  2. Jan 19, 2011
    If you didn't enjoy Fallout 3 or are not a fan of RPGs in general, then you'll probably disagree with me. Everyone else should seriously consider taking a road trip to New Vegas.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    The technology of the newest part of the fallout series is over aged and besides the hardcore mode and the reputation-system, the new features of New Vegas are manageable. But altogether, New Vegas is a successful new part and not just an add-on, with more than 100 hours of gaming, an interesting story and a new setting to explore.