8.0

1. Oct 22, 2010
    When I read a lot of the reviews given here I'm really reminded of the movie Idiocracy. Especially read the review from Guardian. How is it possible to detail such flaws in a game and also score 100%? Really I think that speaks volumes about the average gamer and the industry. Ok, I'd really love a sports car but if the wipers were where the licensce plate was and the side mirrors were on top of the hood and one door was a different color I wouldn't give it a 100% pass and i wouldn't be saying ah don't worry it will be getting fixed later, the company will look after it sometime way off in the future. Look if a game is broke or buggy then you take off some points. Just because you loved Fallout 3, great, go rate that game. This one is buggy and broken and deserves severe reductions. So what if Bethesda says they are going to fix it. It isn't fixed yet. When it is you can adjust your reviews. Broke is broke. This game is a mess that isn't ready to be released and these companies are taking far too many liberties with their gamers who support their wages and companies. Send your message to these software companies that we are not putting up with this anymore. Please click yes to my review so Bethesda starts getting the message that the well is about to dry up and they better get their act together. Expand
  2. Oct 20, 2010
    I am truly shocked at what I am seeing. The reviews for this game are WAY too high. It doesn't make any sense. I was a huge fan of Fallout 3 and the add ons that came later. New Vegas is a major step back from the last game. I have played it for 8 hours and so far it has frozen 4 times. I have also noticed online that this is a widespread problem that everyone is experiencing. Even if it was not freezing, the frame rate is unbelievably bad, with stuttering and slow down every 2 minutes. It is truly unacceptable for such a big release, but even worse is the praise this game is getting despite the major game breaking problems. Imagine if you found out games like Halo Reach, Call of Duty, Bioshock, or Mass Effect were going to freeze once every 2 hours. Gamers and reviewers would be beside themselves and the reviews would reflect that anger. Games of that magnitude would never be released to the public until those major issues were ironed out. For some reason New Vegas is still getting amazing reviews despite these problems. For example, Giant Bomb gave the game an awesome score despite reporting that the game froze 12 times in 33 hours of play. 12 TIMES! Seriously people, I love Fallout and I know you do to, which is why Fallout: New Vegas is unacceptable. Expand
  3. Oct 28, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, I guess I'm just curious about one thing... Did anyone at Obsidian or Bethesda TEST this game before releasing it and stamping a $60 price tag on it? And which outfit do we hold responsible for this mess? In a nutshell, technically, Fallout: New Vegas is the most glitch stricken, lag-ridden cluster fudge of a game I have ever played for the 360... Period. There are load times that exceed 3 minutes, frequently (the longest one I had, and yes I was sad enough to time it, along with many other lagging load times... 5:48, no joke). Seven times it froze my 360, and at some very crucial moments in the game. It even froze during the ending story slide show, right in the middle of telling me what happened to The Kings! I don't even want to go back and play it again to finish it, I'm just too pissed off right now (and afraid it will freeze on me again). How could this happen? You guys are supposed to fix glitches and bugs, not make them worse! Here is one harrowing and horrid, detailed example of my hell ride through the Mojave Wasteland...

Followers: This once useful tool in the D.C. Wasteland became a broken nightmare in New Vegas... I finally found enough parts to fix Ed-E and we were off, together at last, with my sensors all perked up. I knew he was there, not because I could see him behind me, but because he played a highly annoying tune every time he attacked an enemy. Somewhere along the journey, I stopped hearing Ed play his ear-blistering music. I had already saved my game many times when I finally noticed my flying robot was no longer covering my back. So, I went on a search for him, but to no avail. So, I figured I'd be smart and go back to Primm, where I first fixed him up and found him, and alas! There he was, stuck in the wall of a random building, not responding to my attempts to move him or talk to him. What good is the companion wheel now if you can't access it outside of a conversation with your companion? So, since I can't talk to him, I cannot tell him he's fired from my services, therefore, according to other people in the environment, and other potential followers, he's still happily floating above my head, but he really isn't there at all. He is in Primm, stuck in a wall. So of course, when the time comes to help ol' Rex, he can't follow me because I still have a nonexistent robot hovering above my head, who is still stuck in a wall, in Primm. However, I still have the sensors perk and I don't have to hear his over-zealous attack song anymore, so this is positive for me in a way... Anyway, I finally get to meet Raul and he decides to tag along with me. He is not so useless. As A fighter he really kicks some ass and he seems like a cool guy. His repetitive comments get VERY old, but he's nice to have around in a pinch. So, during the heat of combat with some Fiends holed up in a vault, I began to realize that my trusty ghoul follower was also nowhere to be found and I was not informed of his death. Sadly, I found him stuck in a rock, unresponsive, the same as Ed. So now, I have two nonexistent followers that everyone can smell and see but me. Thanks a lot team New Vegas! Not sure how this went undiscovered...

A few quick questions, for whom it may concern:

1) How does someone own a bed when their brains are splattered all over the Mojave?
    2) How is it that this game lags out, slows frame rate, or clips every 10 seconds when I am not playing others online?
    3) Why is my character falling through the floor of the game and landing in random spots around the game world? 4) Why aren't there mods available for cool guns, but the Varmint Rifle night scope is so readily available long after you've gotten rid of it for something much cooler, like the sniper rifle?
    5) Why add more perks then let us only choose half as many? Seriously?
    6) Why are enemies and followers alike getting randomly stuck in cars, rocks and walls?
    7) Why does your game repeatedly and consistently freeze my console?

Now, I must say, story wise, this game had a lot of potential, but it seemed rushed. I recall, in a lot of different conversations, that the voice of who I was talking to would randomly change, even one time changing from a man's voice, to a woman's. These things, along with all the previous rants and questions, are just unforgivable for a game of this caliber. From a technical standpoint, this game is an absolute turd and it will take a miracle, not a patch, to fix this technical train wreck.

On a positive note, the musical score for this game is quite amazing. I love it. The sounds were also quite realistic, from gun shots to (repetitive) background noises, but unfortunately, these sounds also lagged behind, hearing a gun shot or a footstep 2 seconds after firing or stepping. I score this game a highly frustrating and sorely disappointing: 4 out of 10.
  4. Oct 23, 2010
    I really really want to finish this damn game but just will not let me. every 30 seconds my saves are corrupt, or it freezes, or i cant fire my gun, or the game thinks some downloadable content cant be accessed for some reason. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE and in the condition it is now just cant recommend buying this game unless they get around to fixing it.
  5. Nov 8, 2010
    It genuinely doesn't get any more buggy than this. A real crime, as Fallout: New Vegas had all the makings of a classic, but such poor quality in execution is unacceptable.
  6. Oct 30, 2010
    A mindless, repetitive, non-rewarding, non-challenging, glitch-infested time sink. This has to be the most boring, dull, generic game I've ever seen in my life. I don't care about any of the people in this game, whether they live or die or what, because they're all so lifeless, like talking mannequins. All the actors say their lines without emotion, like they don't give a damn what happens. If they don't care, why should I? And none of them have any charisma, none of them memorable. And the environments that you'll be traveling through are also incredibly dull. Lots of sand, rocks, torn up pavement, broken bridges, rusted cars, rusted shacks; nothing but brown and gray for as far as the eye can see. As for the gameplay... you walk around for hours exploring the most boring world ever conceived for a video game, kill things and talk to people, and you're either more powerful than the enemy or not. There's no strategy, no planning. Just grab the most powerful weapon you have and hope it's good enough. You won't know you're underpowered until it's too late, so expect to have to reload a previous save often. When you're exploring the wasteland, most enemies will spot you before you spot them, and when they see you they will run full speed at you, and they're always faster than you, so there's not a whole lot you can do but shoot, shoot, shoot. No strategy required, no intelligence required. The highly touted VATS system that allows you to target specific body parts of your enemies is rarely effective when you need it to be. Want to shoot a giant monster that's charging at you like a bat out of hell? Well, in theory, you could shoot him in the leg to slow him down, but that strategy only seems to work against lesser enemies, those that could be taken out easily without VATS, making it nearly useless. And as for the character building... it's just a crap shoot. Should I put more points into 'lockpick' or 'science'? I don't know, because there's no way for me to know how effective those skills will be later on. There may only be a couple of instances where science is useful in the entire game for all I know. If I played through the game a second time, then I would have a better idea as to which skills are more useful, but who in their right mind would want to play through a 100-hour RPG again? So the only other way to know which skills are best is to ask someone that has already played through the game or read a guide, which feels like cheating, because it is cheating. And how am I to feel rewarded after that? I won't. Which makes playing this a waste of time. Just a horrible game all around, really. I think the reason it's so popular is because there's nothing else quite like it. It's a unique experience. And that's why many people play video games, to have a unique experience. I play them to have fun, however, and that is why I'll be playing something other than Fallout New Vegas. Expand
  7. Nov 11, 2010
    This game is nothing compare to FO 3. the map ig BIG but nothing significant to see. few shacks, hills, dry lake, few gas station, oh ya hoover dam, maybe few caves ? and it has lost unique touch or feel of apocalyptic world. it is just plain dessert nothing else nothing more. i don't want to mention about the BUG, i accept it. human made after all.
  8. Jul 7, 2011
    Too many bugs and glitches and save files can be corrupt. The only good part of this game is an open world where you can explore for a lot of hours. Fallout 3 was way better than New Vegas.
  9. Dec 5, 2010
    This game is...horrend, seriously, i hate this game. All the people is saying that this game is epic, so give it a try... i don´t understand how some many people can say that this is a good game.
  10. Jul 14, 2011
    If you like broken betas and no support from a team that is to busy making DLC to fix the problems with this pile of "bugs", them it is a must have! And do not think that is expansion pack for fallout 3 innovates in any way from its great predecessor. Don´t waste your time and money on this, wait for Deus EX: HR instead.
  11. May 22, 2012
    This game was released BROKEN, and with ample time to fix it with patches it is still unacceptably BROKEN.
    The only reason the critics gave it a higher score is that there's practically no such thing as "game criticism". The only reason fans give it a higher score is that they are willing to tolerate the bugs and glitches and CRASHES because they love the franchise. This game is not the
    franchise itself, and it is far, far, far more BROKEN than Fallout 3, which had only the occasional glitch. It is not my Xbox, my Xbox is fine. I do blame Microsoft for one thing, though: not revoking Bethesda's and Obsidian's license to publish on the Xbox. Expand
  12. Nov 17, 2011
    for what was a very creative and fun game series, fallout NV and 3 set an all time low. Sure, fallout 3 and NV pulled the series to 3d and open, and i admit it was kind of fun, but that fun was ruined by the major bugs, freezes, glitches and crashes i experienced on my copy. it happened on my PC,ps3 and 360 copies so its not my system. This is a very crap game that does not deserve a sequel. If 4 gets made, it must not be developed by obsidian and not use that crap gamebryo engine. I cant even tell you how bad the DLC makes it. Its unplayable after 3 hours gameplay. its like it purposly freezes to tick you off! Expand
  13. Jul 14, 2013
    Like all fallout games new Vegas is fun to play and has an intriguing story all while being one of the best post apocalyptic games out there. while not as good s fallout 3 new vegas is defiantly a great game.
  14. Feb 15, 2013
    I REALLY enjoyed Fallout 3 GOTY. Played through all the DLC, found the story engaging, the enemies interesting, and the progression of the story fun. Inventory management was a bit of a beast, but all things considered, among the top 10% of RPGs I've played. So I should love New Vegas, right? That's what I thought. It has been a chore to play. It all stems from the lack of connection I feel to the lead character. In FO3 we're born, we have a childhood, we're searching for our father, always one step behind. This story opens up with our lead guy being shot and left for dead, then revived by a guy who doesn't really like us...nor dislike us, and a town that is as ambivalent. Hoping to chase down the killers, as you're in the middle of a civil war, just doesn't create the same connection as FO3. My biggest complaint is level progression and mission management. It seems like about 2/3rds of the time, I'm underleveled for my current mission. Whether it's because I need to hack a computer above my science level, or pick a lock that is too hard for my character, it's just a roadblock and senseless push to fight the same enemies over and over again, to grind it out. To make matters worse, the loading screens are everywhere. At some point I started avoided going in to buildings, so I wouldn't have to wait 30 seconds to load, just to find out there was nothing of interest. Fetch quest "quick teleport" here, then there, then there, then back to the mission, and you've spent almost 2 minutes in loading time, 10 minutes of gameplay. That's not good.

Throw in the constant need to drink from your canteen, find scarce ammo, repair clothes and guns...playing this game is a job. I already have a job, so my relaxing hobby of videogames, isn't where I hope to spend more time working.

Lastly...if I wanted to read as much as this game requires, I would sit down with an epic novel. Hack a computer, then read 8 pages of small green text. Have a conversation, read 20 conversation branches that repeat over and over again. I LOVE the Mass Effect trilogy, and people bash that for all the conversations, but at least they are visually appealing, and I feel like there is a reason to have them. In FO:NV...it's just one chore to the next. Just a very disappointing game, in a franchise I have enjoyed. I have not finished this game, but I've invested over 30 hours, and as someone who hates abandoning a game part way through, I would be stunned if anything happens in the next 5 hours, to grab my attention enough to care to finish it. On the positive side, I did not encounter more than 1 or 2 game-killing glitches in my 30 hours of play. Perhaps patches resolved those major concerns from early gamers.
  15. Aug 31, 2011
    Fallout 3 is my favorite game of all time. I played it for all it was worth, got every trophy etc.. I anticipated Fallout New Vegas like it was Christmas. Wow was I disappointed--enraged in fact. I couldn't progress in the main story because of a game crashing glitch so I explored the rest of the wasteland--and ran into more game ending glitches. I returned to the game after patches were released and new content put up for sale. The sucker that I am I bought all the add-ons. And guess what? The game still has game ending bugs. I beat the game but at the end I was happy to be done with it. I didn't care that I hadn't seen most of the game world, or gotten snow globes and trophies. I was just happy I didn't have to sit through any more game ending glitches. There should have been a recall on this game. Bethesda and Obsidian should be ashamed. Expand
  16. Nov 17, 2011
    A terrible addition to the fallout series. A disgrace in comparison to 3. The gameplay is similar but the setting and missions are just rubbish. It fails to live up to it's predecessor and smashed my hopes. This game is awful and there is little fun to be had playing it.
  17. Mar 19, 2012
    I just got the Ultimate Edition, which fixes a few of the more glaring problems with this game (at least now I can actually finish it) but I have to say that FO3 still beats it by a mile. I was originally worried that handing the project to Obsidian might be a bit problematic, but OMG! My original purchase was a complete waste of $60. The game was simply unfinished. I don't mean it was unfinished in an Alpha Protocol sort of way, I mean that this game was so technically inept that it was off the charts. The glitches that the game contained have been well documented by now, so I won't belabor them other than to say that both Bethesda and Obsidian should be ashamed of themselves.

The game that was trapped inside that horrible technical presentation wasn't half bad, and I have zero sympathy for those who complain that the graphics were dated. The Gamebryo engine is what it is, and anyone who played and enjoyed FO3 should have known what he would be getting. The problem wasn't with any of Obisdian's concepts, it was with the presentation, and I simply could not at any point set those deficits aside and actually enjoy the game. I do, however, greatly resent having to buy a game twice in order to get any part of the experience promised. Come the release of the next installment of the franchise, If Obsidian has anything to do with it, I'll likely give it a pass.
  18. Feb 15, 2014
    Didnt like the game strange controlls, the character couldnt move and shoot slow, too much walking, bad gameplay, too hard enemies, overall feels like an unfinished game.

1. Feb 11, 2011
    Until Fallout: New Vegas gets a major patch that fixes the problems, it can only be recommended to gamers who have a high threshold for frustration.
  2. Jan 19, 2011
    If you didn't enjoy Fallout 3 or are not a fan of RPGs in general, then you'll probably disagree with me. Everyone else should seriously consider taking a road trip to New Vegas.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    The technology of the newest part of the fallout series is over aged and besides the hardcore mode and the reputation-system, the new features of New Vegas are manageable. But altogether, New Vegas is a successful new part and not just an add-on, with more than 100 hours of gaming, an interesting story and a new setting to explore.