• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Apr 12, 2011
7.5

1. Jun 18, 2011
    When I announced I was going to buy an Xbox 360, my wife said I needed to also get the kinect for the kids to play with (sighs), specifically, the cute Kinectimals with the tiger on the box cover. I looked at som Kinectimal reviews and most said the game was limited and recommended the Fantastic Pets game instead. At the Game Stop the sales clerk agreed that the Fantastic Pets offered moreWhen I announced I was going to buy an Xbox 360, my wife said I needed to also get the kinect for the kids to play with (sighs), specifically, the cute Kinectimals with the tiger on the box cover. I looked at som Kinectimal reviews and most said the game was limited and recommended the Fantastic Pets game instead. At the Game Stop the sales clerk agreed that the Fantastic Pets offered more than Kinectimals. What it offered more was different type of animals rather than just wild cats. You can have lizards, dogs, ponies and (house) cats. Then you can further customize those creatures into some pretty cool (Fantastic) hybrids. I definitely recommend this game if your kid is +6 because your kids need to be able to read and understand voice prompting in order to play this game....or you could stand close by to jump in the screen to help them. I can say easily that the Kinect detection is a lot smoother than anything I've played on a Wii so you don't have to flay your arms around too much. The bad for this game is that you can only have one pet on the screen at a time and when your kids want to play together in co-op there is a lot of fighting and bickering about which pet to have, who shouldn't hog all the pets attention, the lack of respect for personal space, and all those other things that only parents who have had to travel in a car for more than a couple of hours with their children can understand. So in that regards, I encourage you to have your kids stay away from playing co-op. Expand
  2. Apr 12, 2011
    Hello!
    Hello!
    My 3 year old has played through the first 40 minutes of Fantastic Pets. This alone should shed some light on this Kinect title. In addition to being monumentally forgiving I find the software to recognize a smaller living space as well as a mildly challenging platform for adults and kids alike. The picture in picture (PIP) feature is really great for young ones who enjoy seeing themselves on camera. Detection is very good and the "campaign" is versatile. It's a little too early to tell how this will play out, however there is not much info about this title. I am an avid gamer with 140 xbox360 titles in my portfolio and so far this has provided my child with the entertainment level that rivals Kinect Sports and the user friendliness that comes with it. We have Kinectimals, which looks better, but is less forgiving on gestures and living space. I am sure most folks don't live in a bowling alley so living space is very important. I will include additional note as we go. Happy gaming!
  3. May 16, 2012
    Great game for Kinect. Fantastic Pets is an amazing example of great games for kids, that be funny and don't are stupid. The gameplay is funny, the graphics good. Good game for kids.

1. Dec 12, 2011
    There's just not quite enough variety to hold my (or my son's) interest, and the occasional collision/gesture detection snafu doesn't help matters either.
  2. Aug 2, 2011
    Fantastic Pets is similar to Kinectimals but allows you to create your own pets by choosing body parts (legs, wings, tails etc.). In addition you can see them running around your room, but these Augmented Reality elements are rather weak as the real world appears very dark on screen. Still I can see a big group of 3-, 5- or 7-year-olds that will enjoy this game. [August 2011, p.73]
    Perfect if you can't afford a real dragon. [June 2011, p.103]