8.5

1. Jun 19, 2013
    Blood Dragon is an entertaining stand alone game, but can be 100% completed pretty quickly. There's nothing to do after that except go blast Blood Dragons with the Killstar. It is an amazingly hilarious game made that perfectly mimics a post apocalyptic game from the 80's. The gameplay is fun, but after leaving the player completely finished, there does not seem to be enough. I foundBlood Dragon is an entertaining stand alone game, but can be 100% completed pretty quickly. There's nothing to do after that except go blast Blood Dragons with the Killstar. It is an amazingly hilarious game made that perfectly mimics a post apocalyptic game from the 80's. The gameplay is fun, but after leaving the player completely finished, there does not seem to be enough. I found myself wishing for more. It took me only about 5 hours to completely finish everything (all files, all attachments, all garrisons, etc.) and it didn't feel like 15 dollars worth. Enjoy the experience, because it's over pretty quickly. Expand
  2. May 31, 2013
    For $15 a cute, crazy, over-the-top game but leaves me wanting for more.
    For $15 a cute, crazy, over-the-top game but leaves me wanting for more.
    I absolutely *loved* Far Cry 3, one of the best semi-open-world games with a nice portion of shooter and RPG elements. Right after I finished FC3 I got me BD and initially was hyped and amused by the cheesy dialogues and music but have to say it quickly started to become somewhat repetitive. I myself prefer the bright/lush island world FC3 had, and the combo of crafting/hunting etc...in BD I run around in world which has a darkish pinkish/redish tint...and the "droids" or whatever the mobs are supposed to be are just getting boring and must be amongst the stupidest AI in any game. It feels more like a shooting-gallery rather than a challenge. I am not saying BD is a bad game, it's not...for the price you will get a lot of fun..I just wish for another game which was as visually stunning and great to play as FC3 since I don't think BD gets anywhere near FC3. I would've rather preferred a full-price game, a sequel to FC 3 with the same depth/freedom etc. as FC3...a "real" game so to speak as compared to BD where it shows that it is a $15 title, sometimes.
  3. May 6, 2013
    Great XBLA title. One of the finest. Although, not on par with Far Cry 3.

Great atmosphere and lots of goodies for the guys grown up with Terminator, Robocop, Rocky and other 80's films. The dialogues and the whole concept is pretty fun, as are the missions. This is one of the most creative gaming efforts as far as story concept is concerned. On the downside, the technical aspect of
    Great XBLA title. One of the finest. Although, not on par with Far Cry 3.

On the downside, the technical aspect of this title isn't on par with Far Cry 3, as the neon pink/green lights are quite monotonous throughout the game. The 8-bit cut-scenes feel like "the size of the game is limited so... there you go" and while some of them (training montage, sex scene) are quite fun, most of them are boring.

The whole game feels like Far Cry 3 with a new skin. Totally new skin. But it plays exactly like Far Cry 3. You free the garrisons, you go hunting with a specific weapon and you stealth kill groups of enemies. So if you are into Far Cry 3, you'll probably enjoy having some of that. The garrisons are more heavily populated (about ten enemies as opposed to five in FC3) and the new weapons feel fresh.

The best part of this game are the 80's details... Many of them and the action packed main missions. It's more of FC3... with a twist. An unexpected one.
  4. May 12, 2013
    Shallow, vapid experience. Far Cry 3 was great but this game becomes boring after the first twenty minutes or so of repetitive gameplay. Great in short bursts only.
  5. Jun 29, 2014
    Given the critical success of the excellent Far Cry 3 it would have been easy for Ubisoft to have just released bog standard DLC that just added a few more missions or enemies. Instead they have taken the brave decision to set everything in a cheesy 80's action movie vision of the future (The future being 2007 by the way) and it mostly pays off. From the neon drenched landscape to theGiven the critical success of the excellent Far Cry 3 it would have been easy for Ubisoft to have just released bog standard DLC that just added a few more missions or enemies. Instead they have taken the brave decision to set everything in a cheesy 80's action movie vision of the future (The future being 2007 by the way) and it mostly pays off. From the neon drenched landscape to the obligatory training montage, set to Kevin Chalfant's 'Hold On To The Vision', the commitment to the genre is superb creating one of the funniest gaming experiences I can recall.

The gameplay itself is, for the most part at least, still pretty similar to Far Cry 3 with players being able to use a mix of stealth (including the takedown moves) and firepower to take control of garrisons and complete sidequests (which I quickly found became repetitive) that include rescuing hostages and hunting certain animal species. The most significant edition to the combat is the Blood Dragon itself. These large creatures are encountered during a number of missions, as well as being found around the island, and react mostly to sound. Like other predators they can be dangerous but they can also be lured towards enemies and quickly turn the tide of a battle in your favour.

On the negative side the main story is quite short even for a £10 download (although this does thankfully mean there aren't any of the boring missions encountered in Far Cry 3 where you had to follow or protect someone) and the constant darkness of the surrounding landscape doesn't look as impressive as the sun soaked island of the main game. Things like turret missions are also clichéd whether you point it out yourself or not.

If you're not familiar with dumb 80's action movies you could probably knock a mark or two from the overall score but for anyone over the age of thirty this comes recommended as a good piece of over the top entertainment.
  6. Dec 10, 2013
    Love the story 2 this game and the amazing 80s references with some of the greatest video game humor of all time, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon suffers from being WAYYYYY 2 short, I really, really, really started 2 get into the game and having blast, yet before i knew it the game was over and i had a frowny face.

7/10, also the closing song is absolutely chessey as also really funny, "FRIENDS 2 THE END YEAHHHH"
  7. Jun 11, 2013
    I like over the top madness but for me farcry blood dragon was just to much. Farcry 3 was A great single player game and i had a lot of fun but by the end my interest started to wain. perhaps this was a factor in why I just didn't enjoy blood dragon. It works there's no technical issues i can across but this is just farcry 3 re-skinned with neon lights and cheesy one liners. I'm not evenI like over the top madness but for me farcry blood dragon was just to much. Farcry 3 was A great single player game and i had a lot of fun but by the end my interest started to wain. perhaps this was a factor in why I just didn't enjoy blood dragon. It works there's no technical issues i can across but this is just farcry 3 re-skinned with neon lights and cheesy one liners. I'm not even sure why I didn't enjoy it when i saw the trailers i was like "that looks awesome" but when i finally got round to playing it i just couldn't stand the over the top 80 cliches. And the main character play OMG he did nothing but p**s me off. you will be doing everything that you did in farcry 3 and you will do these things over and over again. Like i said i just don't know what it was about this game that annoyed me so much but i just couldn't get into it so my score is based on my experience of the game from my point of view but from a development point of view it deserves at least a 8. my advice is if you have played farcry 3 and couldn't get enough get this game same if you never played farcry 3. But if you felt a little bored toward the end of farcry don't bother with this one it will leave you with a sour taste in your mouth. Expand
  8. May 1, 2013
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU WERE NOT BORN IN THE 70'S OR 80'S. You might be able to get by if you were born in the early 90's, but this game makes a ton of references to many 80's action movies. And it is glorious. The FarCry 3 engine feels as great as ever. You start off with a ton of upgrades from the original FarCry 3 (like double jumping takedowns,etc), so right off the bat youDO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU WERE NOT BORN IN THE 70'S OR 80'S. You might be able to get by if you were born in the early 90's, but this game makes a ton of references to many 80's action movies. And it is glorious. The FarCry 3 engine feels as great as ever. You start off with a ton of upgrades from the original FarCry 3 (like double jumping takedowns,etc), so right off the bat you feel capable. Throw in 4 extremely powerful weapons and the game does an amazing job of making you feel like a futuristic badass cyborg. The game is extremely corny which in turn makes it extremely funny. I know the game isn't suppose to last too long (from what I've heard, it can take around 6 hours), but in all fairness I paid the same price for Journey. And in both cases, I think both these games are absolutely worth it. Besides, why wouldn't you want to kill a laser eye firing dragon? Collapse

1. Jun 28, 2013
    It's a meaty, gratifying dose of excess that refuses to pander to subtlety. [Issue#136, p.108]
  2. May 30, 2013
    As if Far Cry 3 was developed by Ocean Software and starred The Terminator. [July 2013, p.76]
  3. May 22, 2013
    Wholly entertaining, Blood Dragon chucks everything we didn't like about Far Cry 3 in the bin and cranks everything else we did like up to 11. Then adds lasers. Solid. [Issue #98, p.72]