8.5

1. Nov 17, 2014
    I'm not a HUGE fan of open world games but this game made me change my perspective! From skinning animals for food or just killing them to complete a quest. This game never gets boring with all of the quests and the storyline will keep you wanting more! If you like an open world with plenty of action and excitement along with a gripping storyline Far Cry 3 delivers!
  2. Nov 12, 2014
    As a long-time fan of the FPS and open world genres, this is the game I've been waiting for for years. I enjoyed the first two games in the series but this is the first one two really live up to its potential. Unlike most shooters where you start off as a badass, in this game you start out as a normal 20-something kid that more or less resembles the target audience of the game itself. As you begin to explore the world of the game, your character begins a descent into madness that turns him into a viscous killing machine. This journey into darkness makes the game one of the most immersive shooters of all time. While the campaign is certainly a blast, it's the element of non-linear exploration that make this game truly epic. The exploration occurs by climbing up radio towers and liberating enemy bases. You can take down these outposts stealthily without firing a single shot or storm the front gate, flamethrower a-blazing. I spent many a late night telling myself "okay, take over ONE more base and I'm going to bed" and then summarily ignoring my own orders. The game also includes the most impressive array of realistic weaponry I've seen in a shooter, bolstered by the intriguing "hunting and crafting" system which I thought would be annoying but turned out quite fun. The relatively easy to use map editor also adds greatly to the replay value. My main complaint is that the multiplayer is extremely lacking. I would have LOVED a split-screen option that would have allowed a buddy to drop into my single-player campaign and start raising hell with me. Hopefully this will be remedied with the sequel coming out next week (!!!!!). Expand
  3. Nov 11, 2014
    This was a very fun game!

I just got it for like 10 bucks on eBay since its so old, but wish I had gotten it earlier.

This is the only first person shooter open world RPG I know of and its very good. Gameplay is a little repetitive and they could use some more weapons and equipment to use and craft, but overall I enjoyed playing this game though and through. Towards the end the side
    quests and collectibles become pretty useless but the main story is long and there's lots of things to do in the open world outside of the main storyline.

The other thing that could be improved are the controls. Aiming is a little difficult and the overall FPS shooter experience is lacking making large firefights frustrating, but easy healing capabilities make up for this.

Stealth could be improved as well, especially in the main missions where you are often forced into firefights. They do a good job giving you bonuses for taking the time to be stealthy, making stealth "worth it" for reasons other than your own enjoyment.
    Far Cry 4 is coming out for next gen, I'm expecting they will be able to address the few things that were wrong with FC3 and it should be one of the best next gen games.

Overall, a great game in my top 10.
  4. Oct 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of my all time favorite games. You have to hunt animals to get new and better gear, explore the land/radio towers for new guns and maps, and can approach fun varied missions in any style you choose. Amazing fun for multiple plays. great story and long play aswell Expand
  5. Oct 2, 2014
    WOW, JUST WOW! I am still feeling this way about this game a year later. This game literally cherry picked all the fun elements you enjoyed in all of the other leading titles out around this time and rolled it up into one fat game. This set the bar for me.

Maybe I am biased because this game really hit home for me. I am in my early 30's, have grown up in southern California my whole
    life. As I played this game it was too easy to imagine this being me or what would I have done with my friends and it was overwhelmingly relateable. I became emotionaly vested in the characters and became overwhelmingly addicted to this game. At first I had to learn the format of this game and how the skills (tattoos) you receive effect your performance. This in itself can seem like a chore as if you are like me you have played games before, with different formats, and later discovered after adjusting to the format that the game sucked. Not this game!

I was quickly versed in the basics and became a pro as I went. I got lost for hours swimming, exploring, hunting, and trying my luck at some of the mini challenges or side quests that build your arsenal and your skills. The achievments are a lot of fun on this game. Some seem absolutely impossible, until you try it and damn is it fun! This game literally has everything. From cliff diving, eating magical mushrooms, skydiving, hunting, swimming, action, sex, nudity, adventure, a sense of being a part of something greater, a story worthy of a hollywood movie, humor, fun, excitement and ultimately a huge choice to make at the end of the game.

I loved the Apocolypse now reference and you will too. If you have no clue what I am talking about, pop in the movie and watch the first 30 minutes of it. All you need to watch is the scene when they raid the beaches of Vietnam with music bumping on their heli's. If you watch that and play this game all the way through, you will know what I mean. This game is so satisfying and so worth your time.

I often am critical of games that have been recycled and it has come to my attention that they borrowed the set from "Dead Island" for this game or was it the other way around? Either way I have not played Dead Island, maybe I would have felt different about this game. Hard to imagine with hands down the best storyline I have ever experienced in a game, hands down.

The online play is fun. If you are an avid COD fan they missed the bar here a bit, however compared to recent releases like Titanfall and Destiny, I'd say this online multiplayer crushes Titanfall and still holds strong against some of the co-op and versus games of Destiny.

One last thing, if you played the other 2 games and were somewhat let down or not as entertained by Far Cry 2 as you were with Far Cry 1, that will not be the case here. Although if you got used to the Far Cry 2 format, you may be turned off by this one, or like me love it and see the brilliance in it.

Go out and get this game. You can probably get it for a steal.

As it stands now this is my ALL TIME FAVORITE GAME. And I have been playing video games since 1984 when I played atari and asteroids at Marie Calendars. I have owned and played almost every console released since the 80's. This even includes educational games from Socrates, was a huge fan PC Sierra Games and Lucas Arts from back in the day, still own the original NES I received in 1987, still own a 3do, have a PS2, and all xbox's. THIS IS STILL MY ALL TIME FAVORITE.
  6. Sep 26, 2014
    This game is superb. Aside form the occasional texture glitch and lag for the Xbox, it is a stunning masterpiece. the gun play is fun, the stealth is amazing and the bow is the best experience I've played for a long time. The fire is also fantastic as the fire will spread throughout the land and you'll be in contestant danger. the crafting system is great as you actually have to go out to different places in the map and find the animals you need. Great game. Great experience. I would recommend this game to anybody Expand
  7. Sep 9, 2014
    Far Cry 3 is one of the best games I had the opportunity to play, the graphics were great for its time, the game has an amazing campaign, is sensational! Venture to say that is the best game from Ubisoft
  8. Aug 31, 2014
    This is a genuinely excellent game. It's rich in almost everything, the tropical island environment, the gunplay, the rpg elements, the detail in everything. it's a fantastic campaign that is great even when you play it over and over. However, the multiplayer is pretty bad but i'm willing to overlook that.
  9. Aug 6, 2014
    Far cry 3’s engaging introduction instantly inflicts emotion and realism towards the player. The captured pirate and wildlife infested island remains mysterious on its back roads, as Jason Brody, the main protagonist must discover. Although the overwhelming size of the island and customizations, it’s a gamers ever wanted playground. The supporting cast in which the story revolves around are BEYOND amazingly good. The excellent script and creative characters, leaves this game as a remember-able experience. Some of the best unpredictable exploration and free-form open world games sense fallout, which uses its strength of crazy ambition to remain as one of the most appealing and historical mentioned games to date. Expand
  10. Jul 27, 2014
    Good game. The story is great, Jason Brody is an interesting and compelling character, Vaas' character is only surpassed by The Joker the the Batman: Arkham series IMO. He's interesting, unpredictable, bad-ass and INSANE. There's lots of things to do in the story mode, Side-quests, Mini-games, Hunting, Assassination, Exploring and just plain annihilating the pirates! Crafting and the Ta-tau add an interesting twist on leveling up, and the take-downs leave you feeling bad-ass. Now i normally dont like Quick-Time-Events (QTE's) in games, but FarCry 3 does them very well. They are well co-coordinated and they do not feel like a last second addition as the did in Halo 4, overall the QTE's are very satisfying, you'll know what i mean when you play FC3. Expand
  11. Jul 4, 2014
    I have never had an issue really with someone disliking or hating a game i loved, difference of opinion is all well and good.....until this game. How could a game be done more perfect than this one in 2012? It nailed EVERYTHING, so why list it? I will say this: I have been looking for a FPS campaign that would blow me away in 2014 that i could get engulfed in like i did Arkham City (obviously different genre but still) and this was it. Do yourself a humongous favor and play it. sidenote: one of the best and coolest intros to a game to date. Expand
  12. Jun 20, 2014
    One of the best single player campaigns ever! It really makes you feel like you are part of the story, like it's you on this island in this situation. I love the first person view during cut scenes. The story should be made into a real movie. And It's still fun to just roam around the island and hunt animals, craft bigger wallets and ammo holsters, take over outposts, collect relics and lost letters from really beautiful places like waterfalls and underwater caves. The tropical island setting is really cool. Highly recommended! Expand
  13. May 27, 2014
    Loved the environment, the graphics, gameplay and story. All of them very very good. Vaas is a great character man... One of the bests. Besides being easy, it's fun and immersive. Waiting for Far Cry 4!!
  14. May 26, 2014
    I loved this game as much as GTA V. Awesome story and awesome open world. Great graphics. It took an entire summer (playing evry day) to complete every single mission and to find the treasures. I lost so many hours doing nothing and having fun with animals and exploring the islands! Try to approach the situation like 'murika, throwing grenades and burning people with a flamethrower or try with stealth, letting tigers to kill enemies or killing them from behind. And the boss battle, skrillex soundtrack, all the moments that you will remember are too much to not play this game. Expand
  15. May 24, 2014
    Far Cry 3 is like a bag of those chemically over saturated sweets that come in many different shapes and sizes but ultimately all taste the same. The experience is satisfying but after the deeds are done, there is little to go back to, especially since the main quest tree is so short that you are better off carrying out side missions in tandem with the story.

The voice acting is strong
    but the plot and especially the script are terrible. The characters are all caricatures and the protagonist is definitely not someone you can sympathize with. Whiny and always overreacting. Admittedly Jason Brody is up creek and I would definitely have emptied my bowels countless times, were I in the same position. Brody is sadly insfufferable. Perhaps it was a conscious decision for the emotional scope to be so on-the-nose but above all the plot is centred around the dehumanisation of the protagonist... That's serious b! Sadly, you might as well have had high school drama students try and re-enact The Pianist. This is a big deal since FC3 is not Serious Sam. It's not a random guy who goes and pillages space-monkeys but a fragile boy who turns into a ruthless beast. The plot is supposedly central and is meant to grip you, yet it merely gropes you and hides.

Most importantly the shooting mechanics are solid and naturally the source of all things fun. The game is EXTREMELY easy even on the hardest difficulty and beyond. You can hunt animals too RD: Redemption style although I always felt guilty killing the bears and big cats.

Far Cry 2 is a bad apple for many players but it's odd qualities made it challenging and above all made you think about how you were going to survive. FC3 bears no resemblance to FC2 whatsoever but it would have been nice to see some of the nihilistic and unsettling atmosphere of FC2 back around in this release.

The murdering is great fun, the world is big and bright but upon completion it felt like wasted time.
  16. May 15, 2014
    A 9 or a 10. That's what this game deserves! One of the best fps games out there! I hated the second one so the third... I wasnt convince... got it for 20$ at walmart and god dam*** it's worth it !! so engaging in every details... so many ways of getting job done. so many side tasks.

BUY IT IF YOU DONT HAVE IT
  17. Mar 2, 2014
    I've been dying for this game to come out, watched every video, read all the news and rumours, and then when it came out, I skipped my exams, went home and played it for a good three hours straight. And now that I finished it. Here is my "opinon"

Story: this game focuses on insanity. And while leaving some plot holes, it makes you think is it bad story telling or is Jason Brody insane?
    And a lot of the stuff could be a fragment of his diritating mind?, but from what I gathered it's a great story that keeps you guessing, and while having two okay endings.. It's still pretty unique and covered the insanity tale well. The cast of this game is well done, from spies, to Australians to Germans, to Americans, all is AAA voiced acted. Everyone sounds authentic. The animals sound terrifyingly satisfying. The guns sound different and all the brushes and wildlife sound authentic.

Graphics: being a console, it has it's pop ins and some screen tearing but overall looks great with a nice sense of cell shade. The fire is the best I've seen, especially when coming from the flamethrower. The rain is all well and good, but sometimes storms appear out of the blue, not in a realistic way, the waters look nice but could of used more splashes when swimming fast, again it is consoles.

Gameplay: very diverse, stealth works well, and guns blazing is great also, lots of weapons (43) and attachments to buy etc, 85% of this game you choose ur style some missions would require a specific approach.

Overall it is a reveloutionary single player FPS and it destroys it completion I'm the single player experience, I'm a offline gamer (a rare dying breed) to do everything it take about 35 to 50 hrs, you get ur money's worth, go and buy it now.
  18. Feb 19, 2014
    I like this game quite a bit but a huge downfall was the fact that you can't carry anything. I found the crafting to be boring and unnecessary. The open world feels isolated and empty in comparison to Just Cause 2. This is also one of those games where you can die just by jumping down a small ledge.
  19. Feb 17, 2014
    Far Cry 3 is the best game ever for about five to ten hours, then starting forest fires with a flamethrower and blowing up a animals with an RPG just kind of gets old. I like the story and the setting. The landscape looks great and its really cool that the box art is actually a real spot in the game (try to find it!). The weapon selection and upgrades are nice. I liked how you had to work to open up the map and aim to make targets show up. I felt cheated every time I died due to the game breaking it's own rules. The enemies are a little funny at first, but they only said a few lines, so I got pretty tired of them fast. I spent over 50 hours in the game because I went after absolutely everything, and I can say that there is no reward in getting every piece of loot, so resist being a completionist. The driving should really have been third-person because walking everywhere got very tedious. My car would either explode or get stuck on a twig within 20 seconds of getting in it. The choices of the open world made the game open-ended for different styles of play. For example, I took an outpost with only two bears when I could have used bullets or bombs or arrows. Overall, this title is a good open world game with so much to do and good memories to have, but little short on the story mode and gets slightly repetitive. Expand
  20. Feb 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of the best game I have ever played. There are lots of animals you can hunt, Lots of guns you can shoot and lots of vehicles you can drive. Lots of people hated jason but I loved him. I do wish that they kept vaas alive, he was awesome. You should go out and get this game now. Expand
  21. Jan 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You may have noticed that people don't have the guts to try something different and unique in video games. Ubisoft do though, they've made an open-world first-person shooter called Far Cry 3. We don't get games of this kind nowadays, but this has been pulled off. It's an outstanding game and one that everyone should pick up. This is a game with reasons to explore, an engaging story and satisfying gameplay. It's spectacular!

Far Cry 3 has a meaningful story that will put you on the edge of your seat. You play as Jason Brody who's friends have been captured on an Asian island during a vacation. It's Jason's job to save his friends and seek revenge on Vaas Montenegro who has killed your brother and runs an organization of pirates on the north side of the Island. Although Vaas is a villain in this game, he's someone that you will fall in love with once you get to hear what he says and see what he does and is an awesome guy, and one of the many unforgettable characters in Far Cry 3. Everyone has something special about their personality and actions and you will love them all. Even if you don't like some of the characters, you weren't supposed to. Jason's friends are like the dumb and arrogant teenagers that you've probably come across in your life.
    Then, there's the music which really matches and engages with whatever you are doing as Jason or whatever you are doing whilst exploring. When you're engaged in combat, the music is fast and dramatic, but when Jason is doing something in a cut scene, the music is really quiet and gentle.
  22. Jan 28, 2014
    This is a great game. It's epic. The only reason I am not giving it a ten is because it's not the best I've ever played, but it's def one of the tops on the list. It gas a great level up system. Hunting to upgrade your stuff is fun and was a great idea. I normally am not a stealth type player , but even going in stealth mode on this game was fun. The game starts off good, then gets a little better, and by the time you are deep into the story you will be sitting on the edge of your seat . It's a definite buy and I very picky on actual buys. It has a good amount of replay value and even just doing the story without side missions you will still get your money worth out of hrs played. I still have not gotten every achievement. This talking about it has got me ready to play it now lol. Right now I'm playing Dead Island and it's a suckfest. So go buy far cry 3 and enjoy..

Also I have noticed that ppl complain about there not being a lot of guns. But there is a decent amount and you have many mod options on em. And I'm sure the ppl complaining didn't do as many side missions as me. To let you in without a spoiler . Let's just say there are quite a few more guns than you are expected to believe.
  23. Jan 15, 2014
    The story is unique. It includes survival and action/adventure. However, I just wish there were more story missions. There's lots of things to do. I got tired of Far Cry 3 one time. Coop is terrible because it seems like I could never get to the last mission. People kept quitting the game and then I had to start over. I'm not complaining. Vaas is the main character because Rook Island is his home, and it shows Vaas on the front cover. Overall, Far Cry 3 is average. Expand
  24. Jan 15, 2014
    The overall graphics, level design, face renderings, character voices and animations are all incredible. The detail is staggering when stopping to take a look at just about anything. I didn't experience a single crash which is uncommon with games this size and speaks to the overall quality of the development. The game started a little slow for me since the player must craft certain important items from animal hides you laboriously hunt (or hunt you), and I also spent most of the time in the bushes with a crossbow throwing endless rocks to manipulate the pirates for stealthy take downs. But later, the game did speed up after the tedious starting items and story elements were completed, and it felt more like an FPS and less like Thief. The skill tree is helpful and not too obnoxiously big or complicated. Movements are fluid and precise. I didn't care for the single save, forced crafting on most items, repetitive engagements with Vaas (definition of insanity?), and monotonous side quests (which you start to feel towards the end). I didn't play FC1 or 2, but this was on sale for $14.99 and though I'd give it a try. I'm glad I did, it's truly an elite game. Be patient with it, the rewards are big. Expand
  25. Jan 15, 2014
    Beautiful open-world environment. Superb cover mechanics in gunfights. Great leveling-up and crafting system. Rarely have I felt so nervous to venture out into unknown territory, but the difficulty level is perfect. The villain's voice actor may actually be a psycho in real life. My favorite parts were the genuinely trippy psychedelic experiences that are part of the gameplay (not mere cut-scenes) which exemplify the developer's artistry. I have very minor complaints about the second half of the story, as well as the protagonist's voice acting, but all-in-all you should definitely play this game. Expand
  26. Jan 12, 2014
    Returning to the island paradise setting of the original Far Cry 3 is, for me at least, the best in the series by far. Having seen family members and friends captured by the psychotic pirate Vaas following an adventure holiday Jason sets out to get them back. Starting as a neutral figure, afraid to even fire a gun at first, he is quickly transformed by his experiences as the game progresses until pretty soon all manner of options are available to the player to best defeat their enemies.

Truth be told the actual story missions, while usually passable, are far from the most interesting aspect of the game. All too often they fall back on video game clichés with the use of QTE’s and escort missions being particularly irritating. What truly makes Far Cry 3 the game it is, is the fantastic open world that allows for all manner of unique, and totally unscripted, events. Talk to anyone that has played the game and they will tell you of events that only they will have experienced. Fortunately the actual gameplay mechanics are also very good with weapons having a real sense of weight to them as well as the welcome freedom to choose from going in all guns blazing to taking a more stealthy approach thanks to the use of 'Takedown' moves that can be unlocked.

All in all this one comes highly recommended.
  27. Jan 6, 2014
    Positives: Good production value, loved the open world aspect, variety of weapons and tools.

Negatives: Excessively repetitive, graphics for most secondary NPCs and textures were very sub par, main voice actor was not very strong.

If you play games to get achievements then Far Cry 3 is your game....lots of hide and go seek achievements: find these relics (they all look the same),
    find these memory cards, kill this animal, kill this person (they all look the same), take over this base (it looks just like the last base you took over), unlock these weapons we stole from Call of Duty, etc, etc. The game got very boring to me other than 3 or 4 really fun sequences in the main story in between hours of doing the same thing over and over and over.

I was really hoping for a better game based on the reviews. However, I like games with good story telling and more variety and this game simple didn't have enough of that to justify a better score...however it did hold enough of my interest to play it until the end, which obviously means I still enjoyed it to some degree.
  28. Jan 5, 2014
    Enredo e gráficos e mecânicas são bens trabalhada proporcionando um ótimo jogo.
  29. Dec 30, 2013
    I'm totally enjoying playing this game! blowing up the enemy with mines and c4, sniping them from a distance, and I really like using the bow with flame and exploding tips, and the normal arrows are good for taking out guards too.
    I like the way you can knock off enemies using different knife techniques/take downs.
    And those damn guard dogs! :-)
    and here it comes.....the AI is not
    consistent. I find that sometimes I'm next to an enemy and they don't see me, but other times they do. This makes it difficult to predict or how to approach an enemy base camp.
    I don't think I'm going to bother finding all the relics. I'm not sure if there is a point to or if you are awarded with doing so.
    The game is getting a little repetitive, but still fun to play. Graphic are good, I turned the music off so I don't know if it is any good.
    Its not quite a 9 or 10, and a 8 is a bit low so I'd give it a 8.5 (if I had that option)
  30. Dec 17, 2013
    A game to dive into, experiment and explore. Easily one of the best shooters ever, better even than the original Far Cry. Story and setting are incredible, gameplay is king.

1. Apr 8, 2013
    Far Cry 3 reaches for greatness, but falls short at merely being really fun. It has a few hiccups here and there and the story is very thin, but the exploration and combat really shine. It's a worthy addition to any collection.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Almost everything about Far Cry 3 speaks to the game’s skilled, confident and tightly interwoven design, and players are free to seek their specific flavour of gratification and victory as Jason becomes the most dangerous animal on the island.
  3. Feb 11, 2013
    The freeform combat, gorgeous locations, and excellent multiplayer are strong, and Far Cry 3 does a fantastic job of putting the player in the middle of a lawless, chaotic world and letting them get up to whatever they please. Yes, video games are capable of achieving much more than Far Cry 3 does, but it makes a persuasive argument that there's nothing wrong with a guilty pleasure now and again—especially when it's as slickly presented as this is.