• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Mar 28, 2006
6.2

1. Dec 18, 2012
    This is a great game that was ruined by outrageous and pointless difficulty. There is almost no skill to this game. Almost every major battle consists of you finding out what precise spot to stand where you wont be instakilled by a sniper or blown away by a rocket launcher. Enemies take bullet after bullet without even flinching, and even if you run with the speed ability they can get you with every shot. Doesn't matter how fast you move. There almost never anywhere to take cover, since bullets magically come through the walls, rocks, and containers spread throughout the game. Enemies materialize out of nowhere, usually from behind you in an area that you cleared literally seconds ago. They surround you and push you into a corner. You can use the precise same guns as they do and it can take a whole clip in the chest to kill them, yet they can decimate you with 3-4 shots. And YOU are the one with the powers! I enjoyed parts of the game, but they were massively shadowed by the horrible parts. The worst part of the whole game is the aiming. There is a massive lag between when you push the stick to one side and your cursor actually moving. The auto-aim helps with this, but you are still benefitted by getting head shots. When you're surrounded by 30 enemies and 4 shots from any one of their rifles can kill you, and snipers and rocket launchers can instakill you through a keyhole in a door on the other side of the island, headshots are typically out of the question. Auto saving is very uneven. Sometimes it autosaves immediately after a big battle, others 3-4 big battles. The most frustrating parts of the game involved me having to die 8-10 times in order to figure out where the enemies would materialize out of thin air and where I could hide to keep them from instakilling me, and I typically had to spend anywhere from 10-20 minutes between respawning and getting to those points. I feel like this game takes the dirtiest possible route of making it challenging, and the moments of fun I had were eclipsed by frustration at being cheated out of a good time. This is not hard. This is ridiculous. I'm all for a challenge. I've played Dark Souls and I've never felt like a game hated me this much before. At the time I'm writing this, I'm at the final two battles with Crowe and Krieger. Crowe is sitting on a cliff with a unhinged previously mounted machine guy while mutants who take a clip each to kill unless I can manage to accidentally shoot them in the head (which still takes half a clip) tear at me with guns and instakill me with their bare hands if I don't happen to see them come up on me on my radar surround me, and I have to kill them first through a couple of waves. Next, he starts lobbing grenades at me that are more like homing missiles and shooting at me with his machine gun. When he start shooting at me with the machine gun, I get instakilled by something even if I have 100 life and 100 armor. You can shoot him while he is lobbing grenades if you want, but if you're within 3 miles of the magic grenade it'll blow you up. And most of the instakills are while his back is turned, so I guess he is shooting me with his sniper rifle machine gun backwards. Anyways, I think the game is great but that they went way overboard with the cheatish difficulty. It has sapped every bit of fun out of the game for me and left me wishing I had never bothered with it. Cheap shots don't make a game fun. Expand
  2. Jul 14, 2013
    what happpend to the original FC the graphics in this are downgraded the stealth is still a joke the gunplay works well but the werewolf stuff is just the multiplayer is just ok but the story and voice acting are even worse the diffculty is all over the place but the map editor is actually quite good i like it

1. Plenty of Bruckheimer-style action, a decent suite of multiplayer options, strong visuals, and a variety-packed single-player mode. Derivative it might be, both of past Far Cry games and other FPSes, but there's still no arguing with the quality of this offering.
  2. The map editor has gotten a nice boost in functionality and the online multiplayer modes are sure to keep players busy for months, but how long do we have to wait until there is a true sequel for Far Cry?
    Killing things with feral powers is always enjoyable, and the expanded multiplayer options help to keep this game entertaining long after you blaze through the new single player content.