7.2

1. Aug 9, 2011
    FEAR is a great idea for a game .Take the FPS and Horror and combine the 2 and i remember seeing the adds for it on tv when it was coming out for the PC and wishing i had a PC powerful enough to play it . when i found out it was coming out to the xbox 360 i couldnt wait to play it and when the demo was released it looked great. problem was that in the demo you get all the best parts theyFEAR is a great idea for a game .Take the FPS and Horror and combine the 2 and i remember seeing the adds for it on tv when it was coming out for the PC and wishing i had a PC powerful enough to play it . when i found out it was coming out to the xbox 360 i couldnt wait to play it and when the demo was released it looked great. problem was that in the demo you get all the best parts they take every scarry moment in the game and combine it into a 10-15 min demo . then in the actaul game they stretch it all out. fear's horror element is actaully kinda dull and is more focused on shooting which does work good and i like the slow mo shooting but in the end what i wanted is what the demo was showing us and unfortunitly what we got was a decent shooter but not what this game ultimately could have been. Expand
  2. Jun 3, 2013
    This review is a fair bit late and is based on when the game was released and not by todays standards. However if a game could do with a HD reboot to make it damn near perfect this is the one.
    Okay the basic plot: You play a member of the First Encounter Assault Recon unit (Sounds rubbish but spells FEAR which is the point) and you are sent in to a building to capture an escaped lunatic. Not all is what it seems and it all gets very grim!
    Through the game you encounter many different enemies which do have a good range and also work very differenly on how you have to approach them. The AI is a bit of a mixed bag. Sometimes the enemies will try to flank you and this makes it a good challenge. Other times they can just stand there and its a bit annoying (This was a very early game on the console and at the time the AI was pretty good). Even today this is not terrible and is certainly playable. The graphics are also dated by today's standards but then again they don't improve with time on a disc do they!.
    The punch this game has though comes through design. Some moments are very well staged and atmospheric and actually had me tense. I found the game absorbing and taxing in a good manner and the game time flew by. I would honestly say this is a must play game even due to its age. Today you will need to look past its age but it still feels better than alot of the current crop of titles.
    This game would be right at the top with just a few tweeks in areas listed but unfortunately the developers never really moved forward enough with the sequels (Hopefully some other developer will get the rights to publish a HD version and will nail it)
    The campaign is around 6 8 hours long and multiplayer wise was pretty good at the time of release. Think you would find it hard to find players online today.
    I really enjoyed this game and have recommended it several times and got good feedback from it. Shame that the franchise has kind of died because it has not had financial support of some of the big players.
  3. Aug 29, 2012
    I finally got a hold of this game after 6 years of wanting to try it out, and I got what I expected. It's a six year-old game, so I expected some glitches, outdated mechanics, and repetitive gameplay. That being said, it's pretty fun for short periods of time. I do enjoy the psychological horror aspect rather than strictly quick scares. The atmosphere is creepy, but I've seen better. TheI finally got a hold of this game after 6 years of wanting to try it out, and I got what I expected. It's a six year-old game, so I expected some glitches, outdated mechanics, and repetitive gameplay. That being said, it's pretty fun for short periods of time. I do enjoy the psychological horror aspect rather than strictly quick scares. The atmosphere is creepy, but I've seen better. The ability to slow down time was pretty original, so kudos for that. I managed to get this game for free, so I believe I got my "money's worth." Expand
  4. Apr 23, 2012
    FEAR is the best first person shooter I've played since DOOM 3. The story has you playing as mute Point Man, trying to stop a man named Paxton Fettel from killing everyone in a massive, haunted, corporate building called Armacham. I'm not going to reveal much more about the story, see that's the fun part, the way that you unravel this story is the best part. You listen to phone messages,FEAR is the best first person shooter I've played since DOOM 3. The story has you playing as mute Point Man, trying to stop a man named Paxton Fettel from killing everyone in a massive, haunted, corporate building called Armacham. I'm not going to reveal much more about the story, see that's the fun part, the way that you unravel this story is the best part. You listen to phone messages, read doccuments, and read emails. That might seem familiar, but it is done really well here. The voice acting is top notch, especially from the man who voices Fettel, damn was he creepy. The music is also really creepy, right on par to the Silent Hill games. The campaign isn't short, but it isn't really long. I beat it in around 6 hours. The graphics are slick and smooth, even if every hall in this building looks the same to me. Seriously, you will think you're going in circles. The gameplay is top notch as well.Your main character has the ability to slow down time, which is very helpful in combat. But beware, you can only go slow-mo for a limited time. You get a arsenal of kickass weaponry to back this up,ou got your typical guns:the shotguns,machineguns, and pistols. However, they also throw in a bunch of sci-fi weaponry to mix it up. The game controls are very responsive, and the combat is a blast to play. Another thing that is done really well here is the horror, I crapped my pants several times during this game. FEAR is one of the most polished horror shooters on the market, if you aren't too chicken, go check it out. It is worth every single cent of its retail price. Expand
  5. Feb 1, 2013
    I had really gone into this game with high expectations, as reviews all acclaimed it to be scary and a first rate FPS. Boy was this a let down for me. I barely can call this a horror or a FPS. While it is certainly atmospheric, it really does not do a thing in the ways of scares. A few moment here and there that try real hard but ultimately fail. I really think this game was aimed atI had really gone into this game with high expectations, as reviews all acclaimed it to be scary and a first rate FPS. Boy was this a let down for me. I barely can call this a horror or a FPS. While it is certainly atmospheric, it really does not do a thing in the ways of scares. A few moment here and there that try real hard but ultimately fail. I really think this game was aimed at making little kids scared rather than seasoned gamers. As to the FPS aspect: From a technical standpoint it is decent enough, but really does little to the genre that hasn't been done before (and better.) Overall: A game that is all bark, but no bite. A really dull FPS, and slightly entertaining horror. BUT I will say that Alma is a rather creepy character, a shame there isn't more of her in the game. Expand
  6. Jan 12, 2014
    The game itself is only good for a score of 6, a smidge above average, but it did lead to one of the best scare moments ever as a locker got thrown across a corridor as my friend launched his controller 10 foot into the air giving off a girly yelp. Yes the scares are good but the most memorable thing about this game were the scares from the creepy girl and was the only thing that kept meThe game itself is only good for a score of 6, a smidge above average, but it did lead to one of the best scare moments ever as a locker got thrown across a corridor as my friend launched his controller 10 foot into the air giving off a girly yelp. Yes the scares are good but the most memorable thing about this game were the scares from the creepy girl and was the only thing that kept me playing. The gameplay is mediocre, a pretty boring corridor shooter that has a few moments but the game is really let down by the bullet time mechanic which I don't really think works in games (apart from the innovator Max Payne and The Matrix games where it makes sense) and takes away the skill especially in first person shooters. Overall this game is generic for the generation and if you want to play a F.E.A.R game to see what its all about then I recommend this one but there is so much more that should take your time and money. Expand
  7. Dec 17, 2014
    The review I'm about to write is a tad bit late but I just thought I would write one for the future gamers thinking about buying it. It is very rare to see a game that tries to scare psychologically, it always has you on the edge of your seat. I've seen previews of Silent Hill and I thought those games are probably the stupidest games in the history of gaming. The first thing I look for inThe review I'm about to write is a tad bit late but I just thought I would write one for the future gamers thinking about buying it. It is very rare to see a game that tries to scare psychologically, it always has you on the edge of your seat. I've seen previews of Silent Hill and I thought those games are probably the stupidest games in the history of gaming. The first thing I look for in a game like that is the graphics. For a game back in 2006, the graphics is really awesome.
    You really have to think strategically in the game because it isn't your normal first person shooter. And I like that it isn't your normal first person shooting game. Plus when you start unlocking achievements in the xbox 360 version, it's challenging. I also love the slow motion in the game that use your reflexes, it makes the more challenging enemies easier to kill. Even though, the weapons are your normal weapons, some of them really help out as you progress in the later game. You can go in different parts of the maps and find different boosts such as health boost and slow motion boost. Which is very helpful. A really good game for a cheap price these days!! I'd recommend buying it.

F.E.A.R. has made it from the PC to 360 with everything that made it an outstanding experience along with a few new additions including the fantastic Instant Action mode, making it hard to lodge any huge complaints against the game.
  2. F.E.A.R.'s downsides mean it's thrilling at first and much less absorbing later on, but its magnificent combat sequences still make it irresistible for serious FPS fans. [Dec. 2006, p.62]
  3. The level of destruction and the special effects are outstanding, and while the single player campaign is a bit short, the console exclusive Instant Action Mode is a great way to continuously relive battles against the intelligent AI.