6.2

1. Jun 14, 2012
    All of the mid to low user reviews are by people who obviously did not 'get' this game at all. I mean wow, I'm shocked by what they are saying: "plainly in sight block collecting"? This game is deep beyond belief, but it's obvious that most people just never figured anything out. Discovering the secrets in this game and just the overall feel of the game puts it in my top 5 favorite games of all time. No hand holding, truly difficult puzzle solving, this is a classic even if the COD generation doesn't understand. What a shame that there are actually people who played this game and thought that there was only little blocks to collect and jumping from platform to platform.

Do yourself a favor and do not look at online guides to spoil the secrets--when you finally crack them it will be much more rewarding than just reading how things work and doing it.
  2. Apr 15, 2012
    Do not trust the bad reviews. This is another "political" review bombing. These people are putting the artists in front of the art. This game is stunning. I can't say enough good about it. The soundtrack is retro but ambient. The gameplay is tight and adorable.

Actually I'm pretty sure no one pays attention to the User section in gaming anymore...
  3. Apr 16, 2012
    I've had an absolutely amazing time playing this. The amount of hype (at least that I've experienced) is fully justified. The soundtrack alone is worth your $10, let alone the huge world and atmosphere contained within this spectacular platform-puzzler.
  4. Apr 13, 2012
    Epitomizes everything that is pure and heartfelt about retro platformers (our history), and indie gaming (our future). Fun as hell and a kickass soundtrack to boot.
  5. Apr 13, 2012
    Charmed. While playing this game, I'm absolutely delighted. With a grin on my face, I think back to older platform puzzlers, a mechanic that reminds me of Paper Mario, the mysterious "save the world premise" all bundled into an attractive pixel art style with superb music and topped off with just the right level of humor. There's no penalty for death - so you are empowered to explore and experiment as you please. Only not a 10 because I've run into a few bugs and the world map and some UI elements aren't as clear as I'd like, but nothing that detract from the overall amount of enjoyment of the game. Expand
  6. Apr 15, 2012
    And just as expected, the Internet Trolls have descended upon Metacritic once again to hammer a Great Game with a bunch of Zeros. Of course, knowing damn well they never played the game. Probably don't even own the platform the game is available on.

The game is absolutely Fantastic. Don't be fooled by trolls. Try it for yourself and if you do enjoy it, give it a proper score.
  7. Apr 16, 2012
    This game is a total masterpiece, and I continue to be completely enamoured with its world, the exploration, and the secrets. Many low Metacritic user scores for this game are based on people's disdain for the developer rather than the game himself. While your opinion on the developer is something I won't try and change, I ask you, gamer to gamer, to at very least give the demo for this game a try. There is a great chance you will fall in love with it just like I did, and many others will. It captures a feeling that I haven't felt in some time in a game, a sense of wonder and excitement from exploring, learning, and conquering. A must play. Expand
  8. Oct 23, 2012
    This is simply great!! The mood and atmosphere are tranquil and peaceful while the world is vividly colorful and beautiful. The music and sounds are equally beautiful, peaceful and colorful. You can really feel the personality of this game. It actually feels like it means something and has purpose behind it. This is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played!!! It has a lot of innovative gameplay as well. It really puts a smile on my face when you flip perspectives and three ladders or platforms that are miles apart from one perspective perfectly lineup from another. Buy this game!! It's only $10 and it's definitely an experience every gamer should have. This made me realize games don't have to be a $100 million production to be great. Expand
  9. May 21, 2012
    Fez is one of the most breathtaking games I have played in a long time, the colours are amazing, the music breathtaking, and gameplay is great although the 3d turning has been done before, Fez does a great job with the mechanic. This game is a must buy.
  10. Jan 4, 2013
    Easily one of the best games I've played on the XBOX 360, let alone the Arcade. Fez is an intuitive puzzle platformer that challenges players to think, which is also why you'll see so many bad ratings for it. Because people that gave this game a bad review are stupid.
  11. Dec 15, 2012
    What makes FEZ so wonderful isn't just the art style, the music, the cute Adipose-Like protagonist Gomez, or even the mind boggling perspective switching. FEZ succeeds so triumphantly because all of these aspects coalesce into game that is fun, inventive, and, probably most importantly, interesting. While arguments can be made as to its originality, even the borrowed aspects of the game, like the desirable and well executed faux-8-bit art style, all feed into the experience that makes the most of simplicity. I won't make promises that this game is truly revolutionary or that it will be the best game you've ever played, but I rate it a 10 because it does something that no game has done for me since my young childhood; it intrigued me. While I am usually dominated by an achievement hunting approach to games, I found myself going out of my way to solve puzzles that weren't pertinent to my present goals. I got off my couch and downloaded a QR scanner on my iPad to see what the game was hiding from me. And, every step of the way, I felt like I was learning the game. If you can think in three dimensions (and what modern gamer can't?) then learning to navigate this title doesn't take very long. However, you can still constantly be learning new tricks to move about more quickly, discover the treasure maps that will unlock secrets you may have been stuck on for hours, feel like a genius when you can finally read the Tetromino puzzles, or even how to use the daunting map system! There wasn't a moment of the game that I didn't feel like I was growing as a participant.

Another incredibly important and enjoyable aspect of FEZ is its respect for gaming. The game is full of nods, nostalgia and throwbacks that never dominate the game, but may just make you smile, even if it's as simple as your Dot companion saying, "Hey, Listen!" Similarly, though the platforming may look like any old Super Mario bros installment, it still feels like its own. I'm not claiming that FEZ has reinvented platform jumping, but it has certainly done well in making this game its own.

The aesthetic of the game is also very noteworthy.Unlike Sonic The Hedgehog 4, it doesn't take the glory days of side-scrolling and slap a 3D texture on it, nor does it try to be an 8-bit game with a limited color palette and weak animation. The art style screams "retro" in sight and sound, but it is so much more than that. The use of the 8-bit style not only increases the game's accessibility to newcomers and nay-sayers, but it also permits FEZ the freedom from the weighty expectations of a more graphically intense title. In doing so, it allows itself a more open and imaginative feel. The narrative never gets more complex than, "Hey, this just happened. Go fix it." And in a lot of ways, that's great. Your concern is the gameplay and having as much fun as you can learning the game. So, gathering a lot of cubes is silly. You're wearing a fez and playing MC Escher's wildest dreams, so who cares?

All in all, this game is fantastic. As an FPS player, I never thought a side scroller could invigorate me as much as FEZ has. Even after I spent $500 on Halo 4 and beat its campaign on solo Legendary, I was never as truly engages as I was hopping around the delightful squares and curious cliff sides as the ever so adorable Gomez. Don't load up the game thinking your world will change from a $10 indie title, because it won't! Like Portal and Braid before it, FEZ simply takes ideas you know, love, and have probably mastered, and turns it on its side with a single mechanic that really is a game changer in every sense of the phrase. Pairing that with a beautiful setting and a soulful construction, FEZ is not a game you should pass up.

This game feels right, it plays right, it looks right, and you can really tell that Polytron cares to make a great game; I can confidently say that they have. Pick up that controller, don that multi-dimensional headgear, and try not to smile. I dare you.
  12. Apr 13, 2012
    A truly great gem of a game from the Xbox Marketplace. Vibrantly colourful, wonderful music, and oozing with style. I've played a good few hours of it now since its release and I've been pleasantly surprised with the challenging difficulty which has stumped me but not to the point of giving up and searching for a guide, with similar games like Braid. Definitely worth 800 points, they probably could have priced it at 1200, to be frank. Expand
  13. Apr 13, 2012
    Fez is a beautiful, and sometimes psychedelic world with painstakingly crafted pixel-art. Its puzzles aren't too hard, so its a great game for everyone, but even the experienced gamer will have trouble finding every little secret that lay hidden around this 3D world.
  14. Apr 16, 2012
    First game in a long time I've been content to simply explore-- to be a tourist in someone else's world. For 800 points this is a slam dunk 10-out-of-10 game.
  15. Apr 15, 2012
    I wanted to wait until I fully completed FEZ to write a fair review, but I just can't hold it in any longer. Fez is a spectacular Indie game, which features a mind bending perspective changing mechanic. Fez starts out as any other indie platformer would begin. But then, a few hours in you begin to see patterns, reach rooms which have no foreseeable solution, and have to turn back. That's the brilliance of FEZ; it takes the best of games like Metroid and Castlevania (in an exploration sense) and utilizes them to create an amazing and unique world. It's no only fun and challenging to explore, but it is also extremely intriguing and magical as well. The scope of the game is gigantic. Then comes the meat of the game, which obviously not one negative review could understand. What pretty much every negative review is claiming is that there are simple puzzles, ones which with a little manipulation are easy to figure out. Play this game to a solid end, people. The game just doesn't have platforming, but also very difficult puzzles that, if you care, you'll solve. I guarantee that the metabombers responsible for such a low score only played and explored until strange symbols block your path. While some of the platforming gets challenging, the puzzles are wicked tricky. I literally have a sheet with esoteric symbols and characters and decoders to be able to solve the puzzles in this game; something I haven't needed to use for a game since my first time play through tLoZ: OoT when I was a kid. It's brilliantly nostalgic. Collecting the cube is only part of the game. The major part of the game is discovering a long lost civilization and language. Doesn't sound like the negative reviews understood this game at all. It's incredibly challenging, wonderfully crafted, and has an absolutely wonderful and charming chip-tune score along with a beautiful 16-bit graphical pallet that is artful as well as colorful. The 16-bit world is wonderful to explore, and your protagonist, Gomez, is an extremely lovable character. Fez is a triumph. It's platforming is not what you come for, but to explore a rich and deep world that truly makes the player think and wonder about what happened to it, and what it was like before the...well...you'll just have to experience FEZ for yourself. Expand
  16. Apr 16, 2012
    This game is amazing, a great work of art. It is what we were hoping for when we brought indie games to the forefront. If you don't like puzzle platformers no you wont like it, but play the trial and if you like the trial chances are you will love it.
  17. Apr 13, 2012
    Great art direction, Graphics, soundtrack and level design. Figuring out what to do is a challenge but it is so rewarding thanks to the great levels! It's only 800 Microsoft Points, Download it now!
  18. Apr 28, 2012
    It is such a shame that a lot of people are giving such bad reviews just because the developer had an opinion you disagreed with. It really shows the true face of the internet, an **** Do you feel invincible behind your screen? Do you enjoy hurting one another? You are the cancer of the internet, you do not deserve it. As for my review of this game, its god damn amazing. I'd like to address the negative points that are being told. People are claiming it to be just a simple flash game, with no challenge, no objective and just a gimmick holding it together. It is far from simple. There is a HUGE amount of challenge, you just haven't realised it. The intention of the game was to create a non-threatening environment to explore. You respawn when you fall for a reason, there are no enemies, no bosses for a reason. The game encourages you to explore at your own pace. It gives you a simple objective of collecting cubes, but its up to you to find the new clue, and to solve the puzzle that is Fez. The game is nothing short of fantastic. It had me writing sheets of symbols down to try and solve it, sheets of ridiculous theories that made just a tiny bit of sense in my brain. I kept searching and finding more clues, just this game did not hold my hand, it set me free into its world. The presentation is also great, the visuals are very clean and crisp, and the environments are beautiful. The music is astounding and definiately one of Disasterpeace's best albums to date. Its simply gorgeous. I haven't come across any bugs or crashs like a lot of people are complaining about, little hiccups here and there are the worst of my experiences. Please do not trust the negative reviewers, they are simply trying to hurt, destroy, our internet. Expand
  19. Jun 3, 2012
    I fail to get ANY errors, in fact, the game runs beautifully. AMAZING level design, controls are fantastic. The game looks wonderful and the environment in very accessible. the only thing that is a little weak would be the storyline, but who needs that when you have such a fantastic experience otherwise
  20. Apr 15, 2012
    One of the best XBLA games ever

The look of the game is amazing, plays fantastic... very original.
    Music is amazing too.
    And its only 800MS, its a must buy.
  21. Apr 17, 2012
    Fez is a great game if you have an inquisitive mind. It's brightly colored, and harkens back to the days of NES, Genesis and SNES games. The music is ambient, appropriate, and most of the time: pretty damn good. The game's main gimmick, perspective changing, takes a back seat to puzzle solving. The lack of "enemies" will probably turn off most gamers, since without goombas to stomp simply because they exist these folks will get bored. Fez is a little more cerebral, not unlike Braid. Unlike Braid, these are a little more "old school". This is 1980's and 1990's PC game "I need a pen and paper" puzzle solving, not "how do I get past the hammer bros. without dying?" puzzle solving. Some people won't like that, and that's okay. They should probably go buy a game that will quench their gaming thirst. There is lots of platforming in this game, but the goal is to explore and solve, not unlike Myst. Players are rarely pressed with twitch gaming involving the platforming. Without a doubt, this game will test your skills with attention to detail and inquisitive nature (if you have any). Without those, this game can be completed in a few hours and probably forgotten. If you're the right person, though, this game is amazing, and will call forth a sort of yearning for old gaming styles, where hands aren't held, and where the only enemy is your ability to solve puzzles. It's not flawless, and suffers from some technical issues, but it's a must play game for anyone that doesn't just dip their toes in to gaming, and likes to experience different concepts from time to time. Expand
  22. Apr 13, 2012
    Fez, is a little masterpiece, whe watch that the indie games be better, posible better than the AAA games, and Fez is a great example, is funny, creative, ingenious, and addictive. The graphics are beautiful, the control, music, all is amazing, one of the better games of this year.
  23. Apr 21, 2012
    Unfortunately I'm seeing a lot of reviews saying this game is unoriginal but I find that to be quite hilarious. I've never played any other game like this and I LOVE the fact that they put out a retro style game in the sea of games being released now a days. I honestly think everyone should give this a try. If you're not a fan of puzzle/platform games it's not for you. Take it as it is and enjoy Fez! Expand
  24. Apr 14, 2012
    Fez is a true masterpiece, such blocky old school visuals familiar to anyone who gamed through the 80's except the attention to detail is amazing. Simply put, although this game looks retro it's only because of the modern hardware that it's made possible.
  25. Apr 16, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoy Fez. After the first 'introductory' period... navigating easier levels... seemingly the second half of the game's difficulty is significantly increased. The difficulty spike does feel somewhat harsh as there are puzzles that are a fair amount tougher to solve and perhaps may put some players off... so much that they don't care for completing the game.

The look, sound
    but overall "feel" (a subjective term, I know) of the game is one that I miss from most games today... in the world of shooters we video game players live in. Disasterpeace's soundtrack fits the game perfectly... accompanying the sense of exploration, confusion and adventure that a player feels, traveling through the world Polytron has created.

The 2D/3D shift mechanic is quite an accomplishment and actually quite lovely to figure out. An enormous game with plenty of time to enjoy it. (8.67/10 rounded up to 9)
  26. Apr 27, 2012
    One of my favorite games so far this year.. The fact that it required the internet -- the collective hive-mind of humanity -- over a week to solve the last puzzle is unprecedented. Solving some of the puzzles in this game without help is one of the most rewarding experiences gaming has to offer right now.

The art's beautiful. The sound track's awesome. The elements of the world make so
    much sense together, it's almost kind of magical.

The only problem I have with it is the inconsistent frame rate. Hopefully, when Phil Fish gets around to porting it this to PC, that will no longer be an issue.

Highly recommended.
  27. Apr 14, 2012
    A very nice XBLA game, with retro 16 Bits graphics (that have some beautiful scenarios, colors and details in them by the way), and a gameplay that is a cross between platform and puzzle games... you're in a 2D world, but with RT / LT can rotate this world, creating a pseudo 3D world to explore, and reunite 32 cubes scattered in this world, that needs some thinking to solve the puzzles. One of the best creations in the last months - games are not only about graphics guys, they're about gameplay and originality too. My score: 8,6 / 10,0 . Expand
  28. Apr 13, 2012
    Fez is something special, the graphics and its soundtrack isn't the only thing that is impressive and charming, but the adventure and exploration is something worth to behold. Though this game isn't for everyone as you can tell from some users on here. But for some like me who enjoy a harmless, colourful and creative retro style game like Fez is definitely worth your 800 points.
  29. Apr 13, 2012
    Fez is an amazing piece of work that shows meticulous attention to every little detail that it shows to the player. What makes Fez stand out, however, is all the little things that aren't directly obvious. There is an almost intimidating and uncountable amount of content that is hidden, secret or written in non-existent language. Fez presents itself through amazing art and animation, music and a careful tendency towards being a calm & peaceful place with a darker undertone. The lack of combat might make Fez feel somewhat slow or uninteresting to some that are more pre-disposed towards Call of Duty or more action-oriented games, but to me Fez stands out as the first real adventure game in a decade. It is a game I want to play without walkthrough or spoilers simply because it so subtly challenges me to figure it out myself through its elaborate world and fiction.

Fez appeals to me in the nostalgic craving for a proper adventure game, yet stands out because it goes beyond just being a nostalgic throwback. Fez isn't scared to radically overthrow some notions about what games should be while being a truly interesting game first and foremost at all times.

Fez is something remarkably special.
  30. Apr 13, 2012
    Fez has been in the making for a long time. Long enough that people have been given time to form strong opinions on the game before having played it. Not only on the game, but on its outspoken creator. However, none of this enters the actual experience of playing Fez. Those who give this game a low score may simply not have figured out what to do, may have been lazy or superficial in their approach. It is not impossible to dislike this game after having played it thoroughly and given it a chance. But it does seem like most negative reviews are based on bitter opinions.

The game is an absolute gem. The music, the ideas, the atmosphere, the mystery. It will take you back to when you were still amazed and baffled by video games....if you really immerse yourself in it.

1. Jun 20, 2012
    An interesting and fun puzzle platformer. The visually flat, but actually three-dimensional levels are very cleverly built. [June 2012]
  2. Jun 13, 2012
    It's the most thought-provoking and fascinating game I've played all year. [July 2012, p.66]
    Its hidden depths might be too obscure for some, but this is the kind of title XBLA was made for. [Issue#85, p.91]