6.3

1. Apr 13, 2012
    Fez is an amazing piece of work that shows meticulous attention to every little detail that it shows to the player. What makes Fez stand out, however, is all the little things that aren't directly obvious. There is an almost intimidating and uncountable amount of content that is hidden, secret or written in non-existent language. Fez presents itself through amazing art and animation, music and a careful tendency towards being a calm & peaceful place with a darker undertone. The lack of combat might make Fez feel somewhat slow or uninteresting to some that are more pre-disposed towards Call of Duty or more action-oriented games, but to me Fez stands out as the first real adventure game in a decade. It is a game I want to play without walkthrough or spoilers simply because it so subtly challenges me to figure it out myself through its elaborate world and fiction.

Fez appeals to me in the nostalgic craving for a proper adventure game, yet stands out because it goes beyond just being a nostalgic throwback. Fez isn't scared to radically overthrow some notions about what games should be while being a truly interesting game first and foremost at all times.

Fez is something remarkably special.
  2. Apr 13, 2012
    Fez is a wonderful looking game with an overall feel that hark back to the magical days of the SNES, pen and paper notes and all. Also, Disasterpeace's ambient music is really good and soothing when you're working on homework or the like! I highly recommend this game to anyone who is looking for a good challenge.
  3. Apr 13, 2012
    A truly great gem of a game from the Xbox Marketplace. Vibrantly colourful, wonderful music, and oozing with style. I've played a good few hours of it now since its release and I've been pleasantly surprised with the challenging difficulty which has stumped me but not to the point of giving up and searching for a guide, with similar games like Braid. Definitely worth 800 points, they probably could have priced it at 1200, to be frank. Expand
  4. Apr 13, 2012
    Great art direction, Graphics, soundtrack and level design. Figuring out what to do is a challenge but it is so rewarding thanks to the great levels! It's only 800 Microsoft Points, Download it now!
  5. Apr 13, 2012
    If you want to explore, solve mysteries, decode lore, and get lost in a visually and musically fantastic gaming experience, play this. It will make you feel like a kid again.
  6. Apr 13, 2012
    It's a triumph! A gorgeous exploration of what games can be. A beautiful and serene world to explore and relax in. It took me back to the past, when games were full of wonder and mystery.
  7. Apr 13, 2012
    Charmed. While playing this game, I'm absolutely delighted. With a grin on my face, I think back to older platform puzzlers, a mechanic that reminds me of Paper Mario, the mysterious "save the world premise" all bundled into an attractive pixel art style with superb music and topped off with just the right level of humor. There's no penalty for death - so you are empowered to explore and experiment as you please. Only not a 10 because I've run into a few bugs and the world map and some UI elements aren't as clear as I'd like, but nothing that detract from the overall amount of enjoyment of the game. Expand
  8. Apr 13, 2012
    Epitomizes everything that is pure and heartfelt about retro platformers (our history), and indie gaming (our future). Fun as hell and a kickass soundtrack to boot.
  9. Apr 13, 2012
    Fez is a beautiful, and sometimes psychedelic world with painstakingly crafted pixel-art. Its puzzles aren't too hard, so its a great game for everyone, but even the experienced gamer will have trouble finding every little secret that lay hidden around this 3D world.
  10. Apr 14, 2012
    A very nice XBLA game, with retro 16 Bits graphics (that have some beautiful scenarios, colors and details in them by the way), and a gameplay that is a cross between platform and puzzle games... you're in a 2D world, but with RT / LT can rotate this world, creating a pseudo 3D world to explore, and reunite 32 cubes scattered in this world, that needs some thinking to solve the puzzles. One of the best creations in the last months - games are not only about graphics guys, they're about gameplay and originality too. My score: 8,6 / 10,0 . Expand
  11. Apr 13, 2012
    Fez, is a little masterpiece, whe watch that the indie games be better, posible better than the AAA games, and Fez is a great example, is funny, creative, ingenious, and addictive. The graphics are beautiful, the control, music, all is amazing, one of the better games of this year.
  12. Apr 14, 2012
    Fez is a true masterpiece, such blocky old school visuals familiar to anyone who gamed through the 80's except the attention to detail is amazing. Simply put, although this game looks retro it's only because of the modern hardware that it's made possible.
  13. Apr 13, 2012
    This game is a pleasure to play. The levels are always fresh and beautifully designed and as you progress the puzzles get increasingly difficult. It's a lot of fun and a fresh change from the same old shoot'em up **** marine games that tend to repeat themselves.
  14. Apr 13, 2012
    5 years in the making. Holy hell, it's finally here. Fez is one of the greatest games I've played in YEARS. It gave me happy tears. The first things I realized while playing it: The visuals are amazing. 2D, but revolving around a 3D axis that is made of voxel like worlds The platforming is great. Renaud must have put in a lot of attention so the game feels good to play The game is huge and insanely detailed. Everything you see in screenshots usually has a reason to be there. Wow.
    The music is the best thing Iâ
  15. Apr 14, 2012
    Fez is not just a game , it's art. A beautiful environment combined with a great soundtrack and a good story. You have to understand the meaning and the work which has gone in the makings to really understand it.
  16. Apr 13, 2012
    Fez is something special, the graphics and its soundtrack isn't the only thing that is impressive and charming, but the adventure and exploration is something worth to behold. Though this game isn't for everyone as you can tell from some users on here. But for some like me who enjoy a harmless, colourful and creative retro style game like Fez is definitely worth your 800 points.
  17. Apr 13, 2012
    Fez has been in the making for a long time. Long enough that people have been given time to form strong opinions on the game before having played it. Not only on the game, but on its outspoken creator. However, none of this enters the actual experience of playing Fez. Those who give this game a low score may simply not have figured out what to do, may have been lazy or superficial in their approach. It is not impossible to dislike this game after having played it thoroughly and given it a chance. But it does seem like most negative reviews are based on bitter opinions.

The game is an absolute gem. The music, the ideas, the atmosphere, the mystery. It will take you back to when you were still amazed and baffled by video games....if you really immerse yourself in it.
  18. Apr 13, 2012
    motiva que los creativos indie rescaten esa estética de lo pocos bits que es tan singular y veía perdida en la nostalgia... hacer cosas visualmente bellas retomando las "carencias" de la vieja escuela
  19. Apr 13, 2012
    Wrote a long review, didn't work. Get this game if you love titles like Braid, Limbo, VVVVVV. Enough said. If you like those games, you will LOVE this one.
  20. Apr 15, 2012
    I wanted to wait until I fully completed FEZ to write a fair review, but I just can't hold it in any longer. Fez is a spectacular Indie game, which features a mind bending perspective changing mechanic. Fez starts out as any other indie platformer would begin. But then, a few hours in you begin to see patterns, reach rooms which have no foreseeable solution, and have to turn back. That's the brilliance of FEZ; it takes the best of games like Metroid and Castlevania (in an exploration sense) and utilizes them to create an amazing and unique world. It's no only fun and challenging to explore, but it is also extremely intriguing and magical as well. The scope of the game is gigantic. Then comes the meat of the game, which obviously not one negative review could understand. What pretty much every negative review is claiming is that there are simple puzzles, ones which with a little manipulation are easy to figure out. Play this game to a solid end, people. The game just doesn't have platforming, but also very difficult puzzles that, if you care, you'll solve. I guarantee that the metabombers responsible for such a low score only played and explored until strange symbols block your path. While some of the platforming gets challenging, the puzzles are wicked tricky. I literally have a sheet with esoteric symbols and characters and decoders to be able to solve the puzzles in this game; something I haven't needed to use for a game since my first time play through tLoZ: OoT when I was a kid. It's brilliantly nostalgic. Collecting the cube is only part of the game. The major part of the game is discovering a long lost civilization and language. Doesn't sound like the negative reviews understood this game at all. It's incredibly challenging, wonderfully crafted, and has an absolutely wonderful and charming chip-tune score along with a beautiful 16-bit graphical pallet that is artful as well as colorful. The 16-bit world is wonderful to explore, and your protagonist, Gomez, is an extremely lovable character. Fez is a triumph. It's platforming is not what you come for, but to explore a rich and deep world that truly makes the player think and wonder about what happened to it, and what it was like before the...well...you'll just have to experience FEZ for yourself. Expand
  21. Apr 15, 2012
    A stunning game. Atmosphere, music, animation, style. At only 800pts it's superb value too.
    I'm about 40% into the game so far and just keep enjoying the more I play. Easily one of my top games of the last 2 years.
  22. Apr 15, 2012
    Do not trust the bad reviews. This is another "political" review bombing. These people are putting the artists in front of the art. This game is stunning. I can't say enough good about it. The soundtrack is retro but ambient. The gameplay is tight and adorable.

Actually I'm pretty sure no one pays attention to the User section in gaming anymore...
  23. Apr 15, 2012
    Fez is perhaps a true example of someone coding a game not because they feel they have to fill a niche, but becasue they have a great idea, and the determination to show us that the idea works, and we want to play it!! Beautifully styled and integrated graphics and sounds wash over you, and coupled with the gimmick - its a 2D game, in a 3D universe - very quickly you become immersed. Its easy to wind-up lost in Fez, but that I feel is the intention - it was only when I was lost that I suddenly embarked on stunning moments I never expected. With simple controls leaving you to enjoy the game, its perhaps best only to say this; the only downer to Fez is that you will either 'get it', and enjoy it, or you won't. At least try it, to see a beautifully realised game, that they sadly never release much anymore. Expand
  24. Apr 15, 2012
    One of the best XBLA games ever

The look of the game is amazing, plays fantastic... very original.
    Music is amazing too.
    And its only 800MS, its a must buy.
  25. Apr 18, 2012
    What is FEZ? Well it certainly is not the name of our hero in this game. His name is Gomez. FEZ however is a Indie game that raises the BAR for all Indie platform games. Simple and subtle yet hard when it needs to be.What is FEZ? FEZ is not predictable. Though you may think it is because you were able to figure out a couple of puzzles in route to gaining those hard to reach cubes and ant-cubes scattered across every world you encounter. Not to mention warp zones and secret rooms and cryptography puzzles and blah, blah,blah. What is Fez? Well the game itself has not even begun until its ended..twice! What is FEZ? To me its a cross between Super Mario Bros. 2, Sonic the Hedgehog{w/o the super speed} , and Tetris.What is FEZ? A game that looks cute on the outside but in reality is a total mind f#@$! What is FEZ? A impressive challenging game that will stump the smartest gamer with its puzzles and retro 8-bit graphic style coupling 2d and 3d mechanics all in one while listening to a soundtrack that is almost teasing you while you stumble through this game..oh yeah you will stumble. What is FEZ? Loads of fun. Gamers that grew up in the 80's will feel at home with this throw back title as well as the new school gamers that want to try a game with a bit of nostalgia. Best Indie game I ever played!...A bargain buy for 800 MS points1 Expand
  26. Apr 16, 2012
    I've had an absolutely amazing time playing this. The amount of hype (at least that I've experienced) is fully justified. The soundtrack alone is worth your $10, let alone the huge world and atmosphere contained within this spectacular platform-puzzler.
  27. Apr 15, 2012
    And just as expected, the Internet Trolls have descended upon Metacritic once again to hammer a Great Game with a bunch of Zeros. Of course, knowing damn well they never played the game. Probably don't even own the platform the game is available on.

The game is absolutely Fantastic. Don't be fooled by trolls. Try it for yourself and if you do enjoy it, give it a proper score.
  28. Apr 16, 2012
    This game is amazing, a great work of art. It is what we were hoping for when we brought indie games to the forefront. If you don't like puzzle platformers no you wont like it, but play the trial and if you like the trial chances are you will love it.
  29. Apr 16, 2012
    First game in a long time I've been content to simply explore-- to be a tourist in someone else's world. For 800 points this is a slam dunk 10-out-of-10 game.
  30. Apr 27, 2012
    One of my favorite games so far this year.. The fact that it required the internet -- the collective hive-mind of humanity -- over a week to solve the last puzzle is unprecedented. Solving some of the puzzles in this game without help is one of the most rewarding experiences gaming has to offer right now.

The art's beautiful. The sound track's awesome. The elements of the world make so
    much sense together, it's almost kind of magical.

The only problem I have with it is the inconsistent frame rate. Hopefully, when Phil Fish gets around to porting it this to PC, that will no longer be an issue.

Highly recommended.
  31. Apr 27, 2012

much sense together, it's almost kind of magical.

Highly recommended.

1. Jun 20, 2012
    An interesting and fun puzzle platformer. The visually flat, but actually three-dimensional levels are very cleverly built. [June 2012]
  2. Jun 13, 2012
    It's the most thought-provoking and fascinating game I've played all year. [July 2012, p.66]
    Its hidden depths might be too obscure for some, but this is the kind of title XBLA was made for. [Issue#85, p.91]