4.8

1. May 26, 2014
    This game has been an emotional ride for me, from it's announcement where I cheered, to it's gameplay video where I became sceptic, to the reviews, where I began to hate it. I finally sat down to play it, and while I have my issues, I feel the original developers managed to create something wonderful to the original source material, only harmed by the slight changes in script, voice acting and the music. The gameplay, however, I feel was a great improvement over the original game in terms of how we play games today and it manages to keep the feel of the original.

I wouldn't have minded the changes in the story, if they hadn't went towards using clichés in trying to fill out the original story, and the dialogue it presented was abysmal at times. But my biggest issue with the game is the sound track, how they could ignore the unique and amazing music that the original had in favour of cookie-cutter sci-fi music is beyond me. Every part of the game was brought forward into a modern feel, but the music was discarded completely. I would've welcomed dub step remixes off the original OST in favour of this if I had the choice, and that's not a music genre I'm fond of.

However, don't let the above discourage you, this game has managed to bring a 90's SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis / Amiga classic to the modern age without compromising too much of it's core identity, the only casualty being it's original stellar sound track.
  2. Dec 15, 2013
    The Genesis Flashback was a masterpiece of Prince-of-Persia-esque reflex and trial-and-error, but this game treats you like a 4 year old and tells you where to go and what to do, not to mention loosens the controls so that they're incredibly forgiving. Part of the fun of Flashback/Prince of Persia(the original) and their ilk was launching yourself into a pit or into an electric fence or being shot by a drone and being instantly murdered because you went one step too far tight, unforgiving but very precise controls made this a thrilling adventure that rewarded you with a sense of accomplishment for bypassing a particularly difficult area. This game has none of that Pavlovian response to a life-ending stimulus that made the old one great. Disappointing. Expand
  3. Oct 12, 2013
    Congratulations, you have managed to create a remake of a game made decades ago and did a worst job in the animations, amazing!!!
    It looks great but gameplay, controls and animation is far worse than the original.
  4. Oct 10, 2013
    Couldn't drag myself to finish the game.

Such a shame tho 'cause the game clearly looks like it had a good idea going on... but DEM CONTROLS.
    Buggy and unresponsive as f*** (the physics are pathetic too), and if you combine that with the fact that the game itself is actually kinda challenging the results are a million cheap deaths in the million mediocre action sequences you will find.

What a pity, the game could have been a thousand times better but IMO it got destroyed by the controls and physics. Also the main character's voice and overall charisma is ridiculously dumb.
  5. Oct 3, 2013
    My god, I loved this game and I loved the original soundtrack. But they totally messed it up! All the songs are of some fake crappy Vangelis type of music. Come on you guys!!! You only needed to remaster the mods that are available everywhere.

To get some nostalgic feelings I started up the original game. THERE IS NO MUSIC THERE EITHER! Aargh!
  6. Oct 1, 2013
    As good as i expected. Critics have a lot of respect for Flashback and demand more. This game is good and you will enjoy it. But the critics wanted a swan song for the current generation.

A polished and enjoyable title.
  7. Oct 1, 2013
    Ubisoft made the impossible they ruined a good game. Control is awful. There are TWICE more buttons (not counting mouse aiming) that original game, for example jump up and jump forward are different keys, and still main character doesn't know how to duck! Instead, they made separate keys for roll forward and climb down.
  8. Sep 3, 2013
    I was looking forward to this, as with many HD remakes (having played the originals the first time around) and so bought it straight away.
    But there my excitement ended.
    Visually it looks great, but this does not a good game make. The voice acting is awful, this does not really put me off. Less than 5 mins into the game (including cut scenes and loading) Conrad gets stuck in a wall.
    Restart. Less than 20 mins after that Conrad falls through the floor. Restart. The AI is bloody terrible. You are more often than not dropped into a situation where you are jumped by mobs, and die, without getting a chance to either run away or to avoid their attacks, as mentioned by others the controls are very clunky and unresponsive, I was stood next to a healing station stabbing to use it, but to no avail. I died. The checkpoints seem random to be honest, and the only way that I have found to get through the majority of the game is explore a screen, run back to a known VR station, as that is the only time that you can get a reliable save. To be honest, if you never played the original, that is included and plays pretty much as I remember. But I would say, until this game is fixed, if you want to experience Flashback, buy a Megadrive and a second hand copy. It will probably still be cheaper. Expand
  9. Aug 30, 2013
    Waiting a long long time for a suite or a remake. Very happy when it was done The game had answered all my expectations! Very excellent game and nice story
  10. Aug 27, 2013
    Actually, this could be a good remake.
    But after I did the demo by hate me especially the cruel control in memory. You control the character simply inaccurate.
    The eternally annoying up and down with time.
    In addition, the missions is not demanding.
    The original has more style and class.
  11. Aug 26, 2013
    I was very excited when this game was announced, and I was not disappointed with the release. They are some bugs and glitches with the game, but nothing that took away from the overall experience. It is very true to the original and a great job was done preserving the fun.
  12. Aug 26, 2013
    I loved this game when I was young, I love this game today. I recognize the levels, Conrad, the ambiance, everything. The game was made for the casual gamers AND the hardcore gamers, because playing in easy mode with all assistance options is very easy and playing in hard mode with no assistance options is very very very hard And the old game is there, it's awesome, we can even play the level we want in case of the original is too difficult for us in current days. Expand
  13. Aug 26, 2013
    Excellent jeu qui s'il n'est pas le remake esperé par les plus nostalgiques nous replonge avec bonheur dans cet univers unique en plus d'etre fun et efficace!
  14. Aug 25, 2013
    I personally believe the critics and people who reviewed this either have expected too much of the remake or have never played the original. I spotted a comment stating that it presents "nothing new" and is a "cheap ripoff" of Shadow Complex.

Would that not make Shadow Complex a ripoff of Metroid? or would the original Call of Duty be a ripoff of the original Medal of Honor?

This
    game is a remake of a classic. And you really have no appreciation for the original if you see this one as a flawed game. No, the gameplay is not as "good" as Shadow Complex, but it wasn't trying to be..

I fully appreciate the nods to the original game in this remake and I'm really thankful the developers kept to the story.
  15. Aug 23, 2013
    Looks like many critics have difficulties managing their nostalgia and were hoping to play the exact same game as 20 years ago, not a remake sold at a very cheap price (maybe because they actually don't pay for the games).
    Gameplay is excellent, graphics rocks, animations do pay tribute to the original and the whole atmosphere remains. It is not a AAA game (everyone knows that), it DOES
    include the original game and I'm enjoying it very much.
    Put aside any preconceived expectations and enjoy this remake as it deserves it!
  16. dwh
    Aug 22, 2013
    Buen juego, su mayor problema es el lastre que supone tener una obra considerada de culto como base. Si nos olvidamos de donde viene y no se espera sentir lo mismo que hace veinte años, estamos ante un juego entretenido, que se juega bien y que no defrauda. Algunos problemas gráficos le impiden ser un juego redondo.
  17. Aug 22, 2013
    I very rarely if ever bother to write a review for anything, but I feel this one needed it. This is an excellent game and I feel that it has been underrated, the gameplay is smooth and fun and it's definitely more accessible than the original version. Game ratings are funny, seems like a rating comes through and everybody jumps on the bandwagon and prejudges it, be it a good or bad rating everyone tends to agree with it. I love this game and the graphics/gameplay are excellent, controls are WAY better than original. Collapse
  18. Aug 22, 2013
    That game sucks. Paul Cuisset take the original one, do a poo inside and publish it on xbox live arcade. the great adventure game is now a stupid shoot and run game with lot of bug and a totally useless RPG feature.
  19. Aug 21, 2013
    First I have not played the original but this remake I'm sure doesn't do it justice. It feels like a budget rip off of shadow complex. The gameplay and platforming is boring and the voice acting SUCKS! This is the worse game of summer of arcade. Save your money for any of the other titles like brothers and tmnt out of the shadows unless you want to play a boring platformer with no new ideas.
  20. Aug 21, 2013
    i know everyone is going to say this game doesn't live up to its predecessor, but honestly it's one of the most intriguing plots i've come across in the while. same premise as the old one and the controls and gameplay are pretty damn solid. graphics are also pretty good. 9/10 from me.
  21. Aug 21, 2013
    Disappointing.

This re-boot gained momentum only to fall flat. None of the original's puzzling difficulty appeared even on the toughest settings. We wait 20 years just to get hokey dialogue, underwhelming graphics, and a mediocre challenge. Gone is the mood, subtlety, precison platforming, and discovery from 1993. Luckily, the $10 price tag is accessible enough to make your own opinion.

Ubisoft didn't even pay tribute to the 1993 version included. There was no music for any of the dramatic moments or even the cutscenes. Not even a full-screen option was available which removes any immersion.
  22. Aug 22, 2013

1. Oct 23, 2013
    Flashback isn’t a particularly long game, clocking in at around 4-5 hours with limited replayability beyond collectibles for completionists. For $12.95 though, that’s a decent amount of playtime; it’s just a shame that it runs out of steam so early and leaves you wanting flashbacks of the first few levels.
  2. Oct 14, 2013
    The bugs overshadow what is a generally poor update of a classic game. [Issue#103, p.86]
  3. Oct 3, 2013
    The one thing that New Flashback has going for it is that it comes bundled with Better Flashback, which you can access via the main menu. [Nov 2013, p.66]