6.1

1. Chan
    Oct 11, 2008
    Another lame game from Lucas Arts. How a company can spend millions of dollars on the most mediocre products in beyond me. You would think somebody at the company would stand up and say, "hey, we should really try and make a good game." Fracture could have been a good game with it's ground deformation gimmick. However, that's all it is, a "gimmick." That singular unique feature Another lame game from Lucas Arts. How a company can spend millions of dollars on the most mediocre products in beyond me. You would think somebody at the company would stand up and say, "hey, we should really try and make a good game." Fracture could have been a good game with it's ground deformation gimmick. However, that's all it is, a "gimmick." That singular unique feature is never fully exploited and is lazily integrated in the puzzle solving elements of the game play. As for combat, all you'll be using the deformation tool most of the time is to throw up barriers between you and your enemies. There are also a myriad of weapons to use. However, most of them are completely ineffective and you'll end up sticking to one or two of the least exciting weapons. Those of you who are thinking of playing this game on the "hardcore" difficulty level must be prepared to pull your hair out. Enemies will hit you 98% of the time no matter how improbable the shot or angle while they spam you with infinite grenades that always land by your feet. Oh, but it gets even better! Using the exact same weapons as the bad guys have it will take you a whole clip to take one of these enemies down while a few crack shots from the same weapon will bring your health down to zero in one second flat! That's brilliant game play balance! However, if you love pain and manage to get all the way to the final boss in this game you will be rewarded with the cheapest most frustrating boss battle in the history of video games. Good luck! Expand
  2. Feb 22, 2011
    (Written by AnotherSociety and x Joelene x)

THE HIGHS AND LOWS I was not sure what to make of this game when I first played the demo but I knew there was something I liked about it so I purchased the full game on the day it was released. The story line is based on a good idea and the eventual outcome is pretty decent although lacking much needed detail. Without giving away too much
    (Written by AnotherSociety and x Joelene x)

THE HIGHS AND LOWS
    I was not sure what to make of this game when I first played the demo but I knew there was something I liked about it so I purchased the full game on the day it was released. The story line is based on a good idea and the eventual outcome is pretty decent although lacking much needed detail. Without giving away too much basically the world climate change has altered the lives of millions and thatâ
  3. Sep 20, 2012
    Short: The ideas were sound, but the execution was sub-par at best. I couldn't bring myself to play past the first two missions. Rent it at your own risk.

Long: Terrain deformation took center stage in this sci-fi shooter, where you were put in very open environments (conveniently made of dirt, I might add,) and were forced to morph your own cover. However, I found quite quickly that the enemies did not, in fact, care that you were sculpting masterpieces into the terrain with your magical pulsating beams, and decided to instead charge at you with lethal accuracy, all while you are desperately searching for ammunition to put into the pockets that your suit's designers seem to have forgotten.

If you've ever played Lost Planet, this game is a direct recreation of it. Only this time, instead of giant swarms of monsters, hulking behemoth bosses, varied level design, and the multitude of giant, pilotable mechs, you get the side dish of human infantry.

Every enemy carries with them the ability to destroy the player, making Fracture frustratingly difficult to play. I encountered one group of enemies that was completely invulnerably, save headshots, who were all toting shotguns, no less. When they charged, they rolled over me. Many times. Without variance. The game was filled with these cheap moments that simply reflected poor design.

The camera controls are what to be expected from a third person shooter, but it feels as though it's a bit static for the action presented. (Mass Effect 2 nailed the third person camera, IMO).

I ultimately discovered that once I found 10 of those purple data modules and unlocked the test area, the game had capped out. You will undoubtedly have much more fun in that area than most likely the rest of the campaign combined. Multiplayer was unavailable to me simply because there is NO ONE PLAYING. Servers shut down, perhaps?
  4. ApocalypseBrown
    Oct 8, 2008
    Fun for 30 minutes, forgettable the rest. Further evidence by the reviews that GamesTm are on the take.
  5. jefframonej
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fun game, but over way to quick. Not nearly hard enough. It seems like each boss or end stage had the exact same difficulty level as the one before. Instead of getting progressively harder, it was about the same. I finished it in about 6 days.
  6. MoBat
    Nov 12, 2008
    Some new, fun, and playable. Though you would never realize this from any of the reviews. When I say something new I do not mean "you get a new chainsaw on your gun", I mean this game allows you to manipulate your environment. In ways that I have not see anywhere (save red faction allowing you to dig holes). But this is only the center piece of the game, the weapons have also be Some new, fun, and playable. Though you would never realize this from any of the reviews. When I say something new I do not mean "you get a new chainsaw on your gun", I mean this game allows you to manipulate your environment. In ways that I have not see anywhere (save red faction allowing you to dig holes). But this is only the center piece of the game, the weapons have also be redefined. My favorites would include the underground missile launcher, grenade launcher that patiently awaits you to detonate when ready, or a vortex gun that happily pulls enemy's and terrain together (with out overpowering the player). This is a hidden gem I would recommend to any of my friends. Expand
  7. JamesM.
    Oct 6, 2008
    Great idea of terrain deformation, and that alone is awesome. but the level design is really bad and uses the idea in the worst ways. I don't know how they managed to make such a cool and original idea seem so bad. so much wasted potential.
  8. KevinG
    Apr 7, 2009
    I have never played a game as bad as this. It's pure torture. The stupid wanna be Star Wars music drives me insane with the same damn thing playing over and over again the whole game! The levels are uninspired and the physics game play is just plain stupid and pointless. And don't even get me started on the hardcore difficulty. I don't care what your made of, it's I have never played a game as bad as this. It's pure torture. The stupid wanna be Star Wars music drives me insane with the same damn thing playing over and over again the whole game! The levels are uninspired and the physics game play is just plain stupid and pointless. And don't even get me started on the hardcore difficulty. I don't care what your made of, it's plain stupid to take 5 head shots on average to die. The game is full of bugs and glitches, and even occasionally corrupted checkpoints that won't load. It's also the only game that I have ever heard the soundtrack skip and freeze while playing. Then you have the cut scenes that skip and glitch out and you can't even watch them without the game freezing. This game should have never been given the green light, let alone been released and sold to the public. Expand
  9. JG
    Dec 31, 2009
    This game is WAY better than the reviews - very much a Gears of War + Halo + original shooter. Fun! Through ACT 1 (I got it for $5 at a Blockbuster closing down in our area) and excited to play more tonight. Surprised I don't agree with the majority of reviews here. Odd.
  10. ColinS.
    Dec 31, 2008
    Definitly higher than the critics...this is an old-fashioned game. Sure, the story blows and the characters aren't very liakable, but I found this game to be great fun. Awesome weapons, acceptable graphics and the terrain deformation is cool. Online gives is a good amount of replay value. Maybe not worth a purchase, definitly rent it though.
  11. Sep 18, 2012
    Fracture is one of the most uninspired, generic, poorly designed, intellectually insulting, glorified tech demos of a game I\'ve ever played. Take it for what it's worth, I've only finished the tutorial level and the first level after that but already I'm insulted enough by how dull and poor some of the design choices in this game are that I feel I can make an early decision about theFracture is one of the most uninspired, generic, poorly designed, intellectually insulting, glorified tech demos of a game I\'ve ever played. Take it for what it's worth, I've only finished the tutorial level and the first level after that but already I'm insulted enough by how dull and poor some of the design choices in this game are that I feel I can make an early decision about the overall quality of this game. I've yet to play the multiplayer because and I don't I ever will because I'm playing 3 years after it came out. It's a shame a such neat mechanic is so poorly used and forced into one of the most boring and uninteresting Sc-fi shooters I've ever had the displeasure of playing. Do not waste your time playing it, watching it, renting it, forget it exists. Even the terrain altering gimmick alone is not worth 5 minutes of your time. Even though using it is far more entertaining then anything else this game tries to offer. Probably would of been better off as a puzzle game, instead they forced the most generic Sci-fi characters and story you could possibly think of into it. A missed opportunity in more ways in one, indeed. Expand
  12. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is a great idea gone terribly wrong. Using terrain deformation to your advantage is pretty fun, but after Act 1 of a measly 3 acts, the game gets boring. The online play is dead, and Jet Brody is one of the worst protagonists ever.

1. Fracture is an entertaining romp while it lasts
  2. Quotation forthcoming.
  3. Given that its bland combat is little enhanced by the ability to create cover, you suspect that the promises made for the technology have simply dug its own grave. [Dec 2008, p.90]