5.0

1. May 15, 2012
    A decent attempt. Looking past the minor issues with poor voice acting, a very enjoyable RPG. Don't go into it with Bethesda-level expectations and you'll enjoy it!
  2. May 15, 2012
    Well to be honest, if you going into this game and expect it to look and play like a AAA game that had a huge budget behind it you are going to be disappointed. The graphics look dated - but the art direction and designs are good. But If you are a fan of the books and looking for a story based RPG you will NOT be disappointed. If you've read the books and enjoy them, the story of this game will suck you right in. In the same fashion as the books you will be experiencing a story that gives you different character perspectives chapter to chapter as the story progresses. The story splits between Mors Westward, a fierce and honorable Ranger of the Night's Watch who took the Black after fighting beside Jon Arryn during Robert's Rebellion against King Areys II Targaryen. You also play as Alester Sarwyck (also a veteran of Robert's Rebellion) who has returned to his failing lands a Red priest of R'hllor, after 15 long years of refuge in the free cities looking for a purpose while trying to come to terms with the acts he committed in the war. The pacing of the story is good. The way these two characters have been place into George R. R. Martin's world is very well done. If you're familiar with the books you already have a connection with world and the events that are taking place. This allows you to experience two new perspectives and still be shocked by the twist and turns the story takes. It's very well written and this is it's biggest strength for me. I am able to look past the dated graphics and average sound when the story is this gripping. Mature and dark with hard choices to make as anything set in a song of fire and ice saga should be. So, the story is great and the graphics aren't going to win any awards. But does it play well? When you start the game you are asked to set attributes and skills to Mors and Alester in typical RPG fashion. You can selected from 3 fighting styles and set special skills tied to your style that you level up as you play. One interesting part of this process I like and found a little unique was the option to set special traits if you wish, there is a catch though - for every special trait you set you also have to set a trait that hinders you. So if you pick something like talented (which gives you two extra skill points per level), you'll have to balance it out by giving your character something like asthma (which hinders his attack time) or make him afraid of fire (which greatly enhances the damage you take from fire). Interesting and not something I've seen in very many RPG's outside of a few on PC.

The character controls well, never had any frustration with the game being unresponsive. The only thing that might bother some people is control is pressure sensitive, meaning if press forward all the way to move in a direction your character will always be running. The menus are very well organized and fonts are a visible colour and easy to read. Loading time are short and auto saving only makes the game lag for a second of two. The codex is very well organized and written when you find information, though I don't see you using it a lot other than for character specific information if you are familiar with the books. The Combat features a fair amount of options. Most of your battles will begin with hitting the L1 or R1 button to slow down the action. During this enemies slowly move keeping the danger of the moment alive and lets you plan your attack. You do this by switching between characters and setting them to use a certain set of attacks before exiting the slow-down mode and returning to normal speed while you wait for your energy to recharge. You can hit X to speed up the recovery time. Victories against a large group feel intense and make you feel satisfied that you planned it out. All in all I think this is a solid game that is clearly intended for and made by fans of the books. Would I recommend it if your a fan of the books and need a fix until the next book comes out? YES. Without a doubt you will not be disappointed, defiantly a purchase. Would I recommend it if your a fan of the TV show and haven't read the books? Maybe. You might be turned of by the graphics and lower budget compared to most console games, you also might not have enough of an invested interest in the world and lore. Rent it first to be on the safe side.

As a fan of the books and show, I give this a solid 8.

It's not perfect and it wont blow your mind with game-play innovations or graphics. But the story is great and the feeling of being in Westeros is there. Compared to alot of games published on consoles, this had a small budget. It's a Great effort and well worth supporting if your a fan of books, maybe if the fans support this enough the next game made will have a bigger budget and will be flashy enough to draw more people into a song of fire and ice.
  3. May 15, 2012
    The graphics may not be that great but they're not that awful. The story is compelling, Both heroes have strong characters and there is a genuine effort to be true to the licence. The game system is not original but at least it's not just another hack n'slash. In the end, it's difficult to put the pad down when you start playing. a must buy
  4. May 15, 2012
    Honnestly, the story is just amazing!! You are totally carried away by the story, from beginning to end. Everything fits.
    The graphics are not exceptional but ok, it's still nice. The atmosphere is kept and the fact of seeing the world move by the decisions we take is just enjoyable! If you like RPG, play it!
  5. May 18, 2012
    Finally a game of the famous George R. R. Martin books and subsequent HBO series: the problem was that Cyanide buyed the right to the game before it was a success to the general public. The game begins with the theme song of the HBO series: when we have 3 dificulties options, Squire, Knight and Lord, and we have option of subtitles in English or French, and not to show blood and helmet of the character in gameplay. After this, is a brief introduction to the history of books, covering a map displayed on a table, after that there is a scene that shows Mors hunting a deserter from the Black Watch in the forest, followed by a text explaining their motivations and life.

Done that you enter the character customization screen (only gameplay features can be changed, nothing of the physical): first we choose the positions and fighting style, out of 3 (Landed Knight Hedge Knight and Magnar): each with its own style and characteristics.

Then we enter a screen that divides the points of extra attributes: Strength, Agility, Luck, Endurance and Intelligence. There are indicators of more advanced statistical character, as in more advanced RPGs in that show fractions and percentages in their damage, damage resistance, regeneration per second, among others.

After that you enter a screen with a skill tree and finally enters a screen with Skill Points between various forms of weapons, to distribute more points, each with a skill tree with branches and specializations (not very intricate). Then finally, one enters a screen with character traits, which chooses between strengths and weaknesses, to give bonuses to certain characteristics(to each + or - there must be a balance).

The graphics are mixed: good, being well-crafted design especially in the face of the characters and their particular details, although not the same level of top notch games. Already the general breakdown of characters (excluding the face), clothes, etc. scenarios. worse, being simpler with fewer details, textures and some edges of features more "straight", becoming coarse, like the super-sized hands - the general graphics remind me os Sherlock Holmes Vs Jack the Ripper (done also by Cyanide).

The musics are the ones in the show, orchestral; the general sound effects are good, though they look empty and in many ways repetitive. The voiceovers are good and well produced, with excellent diction and generally well acted (at least in the main characters).

The game features intricate dialogues (that can be skipped with B) fully voiced, and that can make some people bored by the content of the long and classic text lines: between some of them have a chance to make choices in a responses, like in Mass Effect. No doubt the variety and complexity of dialogues were well done, but this can be a little tedious for those who are not fans of the series, or were expecting a action game.

The gameplay follows by chapters, which in turn will tell the stories of the two protagonists: the movement of the characters is not totally fluid in cut-scenes, being sometimes robotics and hard, and we see the same in expressions and mouths where they move as if they were dolls.

In the gameplay, we have a more free movement that is a little more fluid and there is an improvement from the aspect of the game, both the fluidity and the atmospheric sounds, and it follows a "Dragon Age II" style presentation, with other scenarios, a radar display in top right, and characters that you see and hear the dialogue over their heads. As for the menus and gauges are simple and rudimentary, with an appearance reminiscent of the "Divinity II" and also follows this game in the way that the radar displays the goals and in the character / inventory items.

The saves in the game is automatic, if you change environments, but also allows you to save whenever you want.

The combat somewhat disappointed me: when you have a designated target, you attacks automatically in cycles of action, like in "Dragon Age II" (only attacking it's a automatic event) with the B restoring your energy, used to do special skills. With the RB que select special abilities to do in the attack cycle, using your energy (stamina), if it ends, you can only make normal attacks.

The graphic aspect of the attacks are not impressive, being robotic and lifeless, and no sense of impact to give some excitement. Despise that, the game have a great story and character development, and every act you do is used to change what happens in the game, in the end.

In whole, the game feels, as a mix between Dragon Age II and Divinity II, with regular to good graphics, a automatic combat system (that gets a little time to get used - and that spoil the gameplay somewhat) and an excellent story / character development. I recommend this game to the fans of the books / HBO series and to people who like more intricate RPG, with denser story, and who don't judge a game only by its graphics or action-filled gameplay.
  6. May 15, 2012
    I'm not sure why people expected this to be anything other then mediocre trash milking money from loyal fans. It's a popular book series and tv show...of course they are going to capitalize by putting out a rushed product. It has terrible voice acting, graphics and buggy gameplay. Pretty much the exact formula similar titles like LOTR and Harry Potter follow. Fanboys will continue to buy these and they will continue to come out. Just don't be tricked into thinking this is anything but a mediocre title. Expand
  7. Sep 26, 2012
    I can forgive the incredibly outdated graphics. I can forgive the constant glitches and horrible dialogue. I can even forgive the slow loading times. What I can't forgive is the awful AWFUL battle system. So much so that I'm on chapter 9 and contemplating just quitting (which doesn't happen often) It is literally the worst battle system I have ever encountered in years of playing RPG's. You can't really dodge attacks. Even if the enemy's sword swings on the other side of the screen, you'll still receive damage. You can't really control anything. In essence, all you do in line up some attacks and wait for your character to do them, or wait for your energy to meter to slowly build up while you run in circles around the enemy. More often than not he'll attack the wrong target, and more often than not you'll scream at your television. This game is nothing but a chore. Definitely one of the worst RPG's I've ever played. I love the books, I love the television show, but I can't stand this awfully repetitive game. Do yourself a favour and give it a miss, for your own sanity. Expand
  8. May 15, 2012
    Something that bother me is why some game developers keep making horrible games again and again. Why never learn from mistakes? This game is very buggy and the graphics look awful. The combat system is very repetitive. They said they start making this game 7 years ago? Are you kidding me? Even this game more focused on story but you have to realize that it's still f**king game. With zero re-playability, please save your 60 bucks. Expand
  9. May 16, 2012
    I didn't expect it to have graphics on pair with a mainstream game. So I'm not disappointed. The story is GREAT, and I am willing to overlooking all the gameplay and graphic problems that plague the game. Its all worth it just for the story.
  10. Jun 8, 2012
    This game feels like it is one that is mostly for the fans. The fighting controls are a bit clunky and the story (although true to the source material) is a little slow and plodding. The graphics are decent but nothing that will win any awards. Character creation feels limited but has some interesting innovations such as forcing the player to balance character strengths and weaknesses. One of the better game adaptations but, Like most licensed games, it falls into the category of mediocre and only something for those passionate about the source material. Collapse
  11. May 20, 2012
    Game of Thrones is a strong story-oriented game, feels like a hybrid of RPG and an interactive novel, with good character customization options and a tactical combat. The world of this game is more like a stage, or a movie set, but it is fine by me. Graphics is not stellar< and camera issues are noticeable, but for a good story I could get over it. If you are looking for a good, mature and gripping tale, pick this game. Otherwise, it might be best to look elsewhere. Expand
  12. Dec 14, 2012
    If this game had as much value as the show it would be awesome! ...Unfortunately that is not the case. The overall game-play is what killed it for me. I've been playing games since the 90's so i can deal with mediocre graphics, and i've played Skyrim and Fallout so i can also deal with long loading times. But i absolutely HATE turned based games with a dying passion!! So you pick moves from a selection wheel for your character to do (like 5 max at a time) and then you wait for your guy to go, then the enemy, then your guy and so on...did i mention in SLOW MOTION?! Jesus, it takes forever. Expand
  13. May 16, 2012
    Wow what a complete disappointment!! The graphics were okay to me and the storyline and characters are pretty decent, but why oh why would you make the combat so crappy?! You have to push A up to 3 times to queue up attacks or press the RB button to slow the game down while you queue up to 3 combinations of special ability attacks, ARE KIDDING ME!! The whole time all you are doing is pushing A for the same basic attack. No pulling the right trigger to pull of a normal attack then trying to block with a shield while you wait for that perfect moment of weakness in your opponents attack to strike with a power attack. Oh no, you just hit A, sit back and watch you character do all the workâ Expand
  14. May 20, 2012
    If you are a fan, this game is a must have. Its like being in the Hbo series. It has some flaws, but not as bad as the reviewers writed. The story is very good and there are some of the characters of the tv series making cameos with the original actor voices.
  15. Jul 10, 2012
    I myself am a true fan of the Game of Thrones series. I have been a hardcore gamer for going on 20 years. I have learned in the past that it's not always about the gameplay or graphics. I always look at a game for the story it has to offer. If you are a true fan of the series, and can get past some bugs and whatnot, its a very good game for your collection. I bought it just for the storyline, and that's all it was intended for in my opinion. I dont suggest buying it, but at least a rent. Expand
  16. May 26, 2012
    This game is very good. Even if you are not a fan of the Game of Thrones books or lore, you will find plenty to satisfy you: a superb story, some amazing locals well represented by fine looking graphics, high-quality voice over (in french anyway) and a combat system that is much more complex than a lot of "finer" rpg's out there. I highly recommend it.
  17. May 17, 2012
    Surprisingly decent RPG. Low budget, but decent. Atmosphere and story look solid. Graphics not that bad. And combat is challenging on Lord level.This one worth a try, before making a decision.
  18. May 18, 2012
    Accept this title for what it is--an RPG by a no-name developer, sanctioned by both HBO and George RR Martin--and you will come away pleased. A must-play for any Game of Thrones fan. The story is absolutely fantastic. Graphics and gameplay leave MUCH to be desired, and the game is very buggy, but if you take it for what it is, this game is extremely enjoyable.
  19. May 20, 2012
    Anyone who gives this game anything over a 5 is a total fanboy. This game is utter crap, the IGN review is the most spot on and giving it a 4 is being gracious.

This should have been a novel or better yet they should have held off releasing until the game was finished. The combat system is a mess, slow-mo or turning it off on regular motion is still crap. Why queue up each time the
    same EXACT moves.

The monotone voice acting is a total joke. This game deserves being a coaster.
  20. Oct 30, 2012
    As a gamer, don't go into this expecting much. But as a Game of Thrones fan, there is a lot on offer here. Just being able to walk around even a small portion of Westeros is fantastic. I'd love to see them continue with a sequel with hopefully enough time to polish it some more. You need to appreciate what they've done given the time and budget, don't expect Skyrim, it never said it would be.
  21. Jun 9, 2012
    This is such a terrible game nothing about this game stands out for me. The graphics is terrible, the combat is awful, the story is lame. Cannot believe I just spend $65 on this game looked so forward to playing it know I cannot wait to give it back and get a refund.This cannot be called an RPG because it just does not come close to any other RPG that has been released before this one. Don't know how people can give this game a good review. If you one of those people who like playing RPG's I recommend not to play this game it is truly TERRIBLE don't even hire it just forget about it Expand
  22. May 23, 2012
    This is a game that theoretically should have been fantastic but I just could not play longer than two hours without wanting to never play it again. So many problems were little but when you have too many little problems they all just add up to being impossible to get past. The largest problems for me were as follows: The game was too dark, as in contrast and brightness to hard to actually see the Mors segments. Also the font was impossible to read. I don't think that with a 62 inch Tv I should *ever* have to get up and walk to my Tv to read the character creation screens ( where there was also a light issue that gave me a headache trying to read the too tiny font). The voice acting was terrible beyond belief. I can't believe I ever thought I would say this but Thrillville Off The Rails is no longer the worst voice acting I've ever played through. The graphics were not terrible but they were not good either. The angle of the character to there view of the world was lopsided. What I mean is the character stood at the left side of your screen at an odd awkward angle making it feel like I constantly could not center the camera. Most of all though every time your character Mors or Alestar walk the moment they stop the camera keeps zooming in for 3 seconds. This seems like the smallest complaint by far because it sounds so petty but this is not a petty small complaint because I nearly threw up and got dizzy from it. The game play was hard to follow even with having played Dragon Age Origins. I just couldn't wrap my brain around the battle engine. It felt too difficult too fiddly like you had to play either on idiot easy difficulty or else be some sort of sword wielding savant. I wanted this game to be good I really really did. But it wasn't. It was actually painful to play and it left me wishing I'd never spent the money. Thank God for trading games at re-salers I bought Dragon's Dogma today and feel less like eatin Ramen for a week to make up my stupid game choice purchase. The last time I hated a game this much was when I bought Two Worlds for $5 and felt cheated out of a BigMac and Fries instead. Expand
  23. May 30, 2012
    Great characters, great dialogs, cool Story, , very true to the licence. I was affraid to discover another dumb hack'n slash with poor story, but if you look for some well made scenario, you have to play this one.

Fair and square, Iguess casuals will hate it, but this is one of the best licenced rpg I've played.
  24. Jun 10, 2012
    now when i watched the gameplay trailer for it i was sketchy because when you fall in love with a tv series or a movie franchise the games never live up to your expectations but so far i am loving this game if you are at home right now turn off your computer get as much money as you can a buy this god damn game im getting it on x box 360 but i dont care pc , ps3 or xbox buy this game............willy out :) peace Expand
  25. Feb 17, 2013
    Literally the worst RPG ever. Linear, no exploration, awful combat system, dodgy graphics. The game had potential, but it was squandered on a game that was no more an RPG than LOTR: War in the North.
  26. Jun 19, 2013
    I found this fun actually,but there was a lot missing in it but not buggy or glitchy just bad story line and graphics as well as gameplay. This was better then Risen 2 dark waters.
  27. Apr 28, 2013
    They say no one sets out to make a bad game and yet it keeps happening. This game could have been awsome and fans would have waited for it to be polished to perfection, but no, they give us this. The story and acting are ponderously plodding but the worst thing is the TERRIBLE combat system. I played the whole game but it was an ordeal and the idea of playing dlc or a sequel is absurd. As a fan I hung in there but was not rewarded. Curiosity killed the cat but I miraculously survived. Expand
  28. May 31, 2012
    When it comes to a 'book to television show to game' this is pretty bad. As a fan of turn based RPG's like Dragon Age and Knights of the Old Republic, this just doesn't stand up to the competition. It has an excellent story that goes side by side during the events of the HBO series, but falls short in mechanics and graphics. The game takes you into the role of two characters, which is the first mistake. Give us options! We are in a vast era of gaming and to not have creation options in an RPG is unheard of now-a-days. Progression is slow when it comes to leveling. Then to add insult to injury, it doesn't look that good. Hear the full review on the podcast; http://liquidgamer.podbean.com/ Expand
  29. Jun 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed]

To but the kabosh on what I at first intended to be a not too terribly lengthy review, but which somehow decided to grow into one anyway- I will simply wrap up without any further closing remarks. What has been said has already been said, and could not possibly be said in many more ways than I care to ramble on about or makes gestures (obscenely or not) about either.

I gave the Game of Thrones video game (mainly for the Xbox 360, as that is the console I own it for- although this pretty much applies to the others as well, because as far as I can tell, they are all pretty similar in the least) a 7.00 out of ten total points, which may be a tad high for some tastes, and low for others. This is merely due to the mitigating and aggravating sentences and factors given by the six or so above listed segments of my review. Keep in mind that this is of course as I played through it, and your playthrough- should you buy or have already bought the game, may indeed be vastly different.

With that said, I will soundly place my banner in the castle of whatever lord may hold reign over Cyanide and Atlus' lands, because I will pledge a whopping Moderate replay value to this game. While others' opinions may differ with mine own, keep in mind that I never said I wouldn't become a Frey and pull one over on you later...

Don't attend any weddings any times soon, especially if you enjoy bringing your dog along or a dire wolf, if that is your thing...

Written 2012
  30. Dec 26, 2013
    It definitely improves the lore of Westeros and enlightens us on season 1 and the happenings just before. For Game of Thrones fan it is a must. The storyline is excellent and if my review was based solely on that it would be a 10/10. I got the game for Christmas 13 from my parents after I read the 5 books over the past year. No disappointment. If you enjoy Mass Effect 1, Knights of the Old Republic, or Dragon Age you will like the way you can tell multiple stories in the game with dialogue or violence. A downfall is you have a very restrictive view of character models. Your body is set and all you choose in theory is between one of three styles.

The first downfall that really lowered the score by a 1.5 points for me was the blotchy movements. This looks like an original Xbox game and not a 360 game. I was stunned at how poor it looked. Even the original dragon age was designed a little better graphically. Cut scenes weren't that much better.

The second biggest decrease was slow load times. This game came out in 2013 and the loading ability of the game was super slow. It should have progressed faster. Frustrating at points because you are unsure if the game is freezing when it takes this long. Not sure what the data was used for that didn't go into making the game look better.

With Game of Thrones the final decrease on my grading scale came from no additional content and I didn't download a patch before the game began. In today's age I rarely see a perfect game and waiting for a patch to fix a glitch could take a week or so after release. When I buy the game nearly a year later and the downloadable content section is empty among other things that just crushed me before I began.

In all this game is playable if you are a fan of RPGs, Game of Thrones, and story driven mechanics. This game probably isn't playable to you if you want actual gameplay and battles. Solid game but could have been more expansive.
  31. Jun 8, 2012

1. Sep 4, 2012
    Game of Thrones revels in the source material, wraps its narrative around it, and plays along with the vast universe that George Martin has crafted. It's too bad, and deeply disappointing, that the game celebrates little else.
  2. Jul 26, 2012
    Even if you're a fan of the TV series, the dullness just isn't worth it. [Issue#87, p.86]
  3. Jul 20, 2012
    Ultimately, Cyanide seems to have released a poor excuse for a TV show to Videogame port with Game of Thrones. It's aimed at fans of the show, and you'll soon realise that Cyanide have used little imagination when creating this title, no doubt knowing that fans will lap this tripe up simply for having the title 'Game of Thrones' on the front cover.