Gears of War 2 Xbox 360

7.7

1. Jul 3, 2017
    It is one of the best game on xbox 360, the reason why you wanna buy this console. Good graphics despite many years since release, interesting story and i think it should be the last one from gears of war. 3rd part is like reheated pork, get easy money from fans.
  2. Jun 20, 2017
    Gears of War 2 took everything that made the first game good and improved on it in almost every way, but there is some caveats to be shown that hold it back from greatness. The first improvement is a better campaign with a story that is far better told even though it doesn't answer questions that I think it should explain in order to not have books and comics fill those gaps. The emotionalGears of War 2 took everything that made the first game good and improved on it in almost every way, but there is some caveats to be shown that hold it back from greatness. The first improvement is a better campaign with a story that is far better told even though it doesn't answer questions that I think it should explain in order to not have books and comics fill those gaps. The emotional moment of Dominic and his wife Maria is still one of the most powerful moments in the series and I do generally love (and cry) when he shoots her out of mercy. The moment to moment events (like the giant worm to the razorhail rain) are improved to provide variety and challenge that isn't complex, but still interesting that it's more grounded than say Uncharted with the way it uses puzzles. The new enemies on top of old and the addition of new executions make the experience far better than previously and it feels so good to decapitate a Locust grunt still with the Torque Bow.

The multiplayer improves initially but then becomes almost disastrous after the last patches went in. It uses the same setup of modes and mechanics like the campaign (just with a choice now to equip one of the two main assault rifles). The game uses P2P but the connection (prior to the major patches) were stable and better than the first game. Unfortunately, just like the first game did, the major sweep of patches over certain guns not only change the multiplayer, but also the entire experience in every other avenue of the game. It becomes very inconsistent and the toxic nature of players reached a new low, turning off potential players for the series. To some, it was still the best multiplayer of the series. For me, it was no different than the first with a bigger sin of allowing bots in the matches and have absurd amounts of accuracy and network glitching that sometimes made them more powerful than decent players, ruining matches if a person lagged out or left for the bot to take their place.

Horde mode is a cool concept but very half-baked on execution (which would be fully realized by 3). You go through 50 waves of enemies and use whatever you scavenge to survive each wave as enemies increase in numbers and modifiers. Scale that with difficulty and the need for team members to contribute becomes a main prerogative. Unfortunately, it makes enemies far too strong in later waves and can cause frustration when players wipe and come back in without the weapons they scavenge to survive.

Despite the issues, Gears 2 still proved to be a better game to come out of Gears and it's what truly set it on the map for greatness. If the sequel could improve on it even more, than there's no doubt it will be solidified as a great game. And that is what happens for Gears of War 3.
  3. Feb 12, 2017
    The sequel to one of the most popular new IP of the console was obviously very expected, did they improve the formula or just re hash the same game ?

Technically Epic continued to push forward the boundaries of the 360 hardware with astonishing visuals for the time, it runs flawlessly and impress you as soon as they got a chance. The art direction is more varied than the first game and some of the boss are very inspired.

Concerning the gameplay the TPS formula is better executed and the game will offer a great variety of situations so that you'll never fall in some routine. The cinematic realisation is also a great "Waho" factor that will rhythm your playthrough in the most positive way. The only bad thing is that even in the hardest difficulty the game is not challenging.

The story is way more detailed than in the first game which is very good, I finally care about Marcus and the gang they stopped being just random badasses (for the most part), the global story is also more incentive and now I do care about winning the fight against the locust, and also I want to have the answers to some questions raised by this opus. The game is still predictable but still huge improvement in this section. Shamefully the campaign is still way too short (5-6 hours) and it's not with the very rare online activity that you will find today that you may prolonged the experience.

In conclusion Gears of War 2 is better in every department than the first game, the predictable story and very short length are the only things in the way of perfection, still for the handful of $/€ it cost today it would be an error to not play it if you like the action genre.
  4. Nov 24, 2016
    One of the best games on 360. Probably one of the main reasons I bought the console. The story is amazing, the visuals look beautiful to this day, the gameplay is addicting. Probably the best Gears game to date.
  5. Oct 27, 2016
    One thing is certain, Gears of War 2, managed to surpass its predecessor with great mastery. The plot has improved, became more dramatic, leading even to breathe in '' The Lord of the Rings '' (There are certain scenes from the games with some similarities to films) Your gameplay became more insane, the action is more frantic than ever and very surreal. Gears 2, back light improvements ofOne thing is certain, Gears of War 2, managed to surpass its predecessor with great mastery. The plot has improved, became more dramatic, leading even to breathe in '' The Lord of the Rings '' (There are certain scenes from the games with some similarities to films) Your gameplay became more insane, the action is more frantic than ever and very surreal. Gears 2, back light improvements of all that was in the first, and offers us more a great high-level action game. Expand
  6. Apr 25, 2016
    I am playing through this game in 2016 for the first time and the campaign is a beast! Graphically, this game would have been amazing by 2008 standards, it still looks great today. It starts off pretty easy, but by Chapter 4 the difficulty is very respectable. Lots of variety in terms of place, enemies and strategy. There are multiple ways to kill your enemies, much more varied thanI am playing through this game in 2016 for the first time and the campaign is a beast! Graphically, this game would have been amazing by 2008 standards, it still looks great today. It starts off pretty easy, but by Chapter 4 the difficulty is very respectable. Lots of variety in terms of place, enemies and strategy. There are multiple ways to kill your enemies, much more varied than most modern shooters. Great story, characters and voice acting. My only knock is that I do not care for the multiplayer. Expand
  7. Apr 11, 2016
  8. Apr 8, 2016
    This is very very good game . One of best actions on Xbox 360 and very interesting game . This is exclusive game for Xbox 360 and this game one of best Xbox 360 exclusives . Normal graphics , awesome gameplay , amazing storyline . Very good game . 9/10 .
  9. Mar 24, 2016
    The highlight of the Gears of War series, GOW 2 picks up and improves on the first instalment of the franchise by adding in four-player co-op for you and 3 friends to play, but if you're going solo then there is a hugely enjoyable campaign with some ridiculous boss fights, and all the blood and gore of the original.

Though some aspects of the story may be forgotten or lost in the

Though some aspects of the story may be forgotten or lost in the shuffle, the main characters are once again some of the finest characters in video games, from the gritty realistic versions of Mario and Luigi in Marcus and Dom, to the unforgettable Cole Train and the sarcastic Baird. The addition and improvement of the multiplayer is also a welcome addition, and everything about Gears of War 2 shows off everything that gaming can do, in fantastic fashion.
  10. Feb 23, 2016
    Just like with the Gears of war 1 and 3 . I have played through this campaign about 100 times and it is still not old , because its Gears of war . I will always love Gears of war for being Gears of war . Brilliant story line with some improvements over the already excellent predecessor . a Good idea to add bots to the muliplayer as this has pulled me to the mulitplayer side as well whereJust like with the Gears of war 1 and 3 . I have played through this campaign about 100 times and it is still not old , because its Gears of war . I will always love Gears of war for being Gears of war . Brilliant story line with some improvements over the already excellent predecessor . a Good idea to add bots to the muliplayer as this has pulled me to the mulitplayer side as well where with Gears 1 , I only played campaign . The horde mode is excellent but the ammo is scarce if you are more than 2 players as each map only has 2 ammo boxes that take forever to respawn . Nevertheless , this is a fantastic game Expand
  11. Dec 27, 2015
    They have taken the second rennovation of Gears of Wars and was also very exciting, and captivating play for many hours to stay with square eyes glued to the screen.
  12. Dec 2, 2015
    Much improved from Gears 1. Plays smoothly and the visuals look great for 360. The singleplayer is what you expect, gory exciting third person action with a simple plot, which is what Gears should be.

The multiplayer is some of the most fun I've ever played. It's essential you get a group of friends or communicate with your team to succeed online. Few games offer such strategy and deep thinking as well as high level of skill into it's online multiplayer. With only 1 life in each round, you really have to think and strategize with your team to determine how to control certain areas of the map, how to obtain power weapons, and who should defend what location, attack the enemy with what and from where.

Some of my best video gaming memories come from playing Gears 2 all night with my friends during the summer, and it's hard to find a game that offers this much satisfaction in multiplayer.
  13. Sep 29, 2015
    This game has one of the most tear-jerking stories I've ever had the joy of playing, possibly because i read the follow up book(Aspho Fields, You should buy it, great read) but anyway the story has depth equal to the last of us and the arkham series. Definitely a worthy sequel to Gears 1 as it packs in the action and brilliant character development as well as marvelous universe building.This game has one of the most tear-jerking stories I've ever had the joy of playing, possibly because i read the follow up book(Aspho Fields, You should buy it, great read) but anyway the story has depth equal to the last of us and the arkham series. Definitely a worthy sequel to Gears 1 as it packs in the action and brilliant character development as well as marvelous universe building. Gears 2 also has an added horde mode which is a game mode where you face an onslaught of constantly changing enemies and challenges, the first of its kind but sadly most games nowadays have copied it so it's not as groundbreaking as it once was. 10/10 definitely worth a buy. Expand
  14. Sep 10, 2015
    After playing through and completing the campaign I am absolutely stunned. The games looks beautiful and play beautifully too. The story offered more than thought and blew me away. Some bugs are still appearing but that doesn't hinder the fact that it is one of the bext games out on Xbox 360. Multiplayer is enhanced although needs ironing out in places. Stupid amounts of fun can be hadAfter playing through and completing the campaign I am absolutely stunned. The games looks beautiful and play beautifully too. The story offered more than thought and blew me away. Some bugs are still appearing but that doesn't hinder the fact that it is one of the bext games out on Xbox 360. Multiplayer is enhanced although needs ironing out in places. Stupid amounts of fun can be had with mates and Horde is another stunning co-op inventive feature. A superb game, any fans of shooters, good MP games or gore should get this. Expand
  15. Aug 2, 2015
    That's f**cking crane stage is totally broken. can't get pass it, even with all guides. And that useless Dom... whole act he is just sitting somewhere. So i'm going to watch the ending on youtube.
  16. May 24, 2015
    I'm not sure why this game has a lower user score than the original, except maybe because it's not the original. I personally enjoyed this game more. I bought it when it was on a digital sale six months after playing the first GoW game. At first, I felt like the campaign was the same old thing but it quickly got better. Not only are there more guns (and more guns=more fun) but the sale ofI'm not sure why this game has a lower user score than the original, except maybe because it's not the original. I personally enjoyed this game more. I bought it when it was on a digital sale six months after playing the first GoW game. At first, I felt like the campaign was the same old thing but it quickly got better. Not only are there more guns (and more guns=more fun) but the sale of battles can get pretty immense. You'll ride on the back of massive locust creatures and gun down dozens of enemies. You'll rain mortars down on your foes. You'll travel to a hellish city udnderground. On top of the epic campaign is the multiplayer which is just as good as last time, but again not the reason to buy this game. GoW2 features an all-new co-op mode (it was all-new, I mean), which adds to the fun! I'd give GoW an 8.0/10 and I'd give this great sequel an 8.5/10. And one last comment: the story is better this time around, with more reason to care about the characters. Expand
  17. May 15, 2015
    I was excited in every mission wondering what will happen next with an amazing soundtrack which just pumped me up but it was a disappointing ending, but a good squel!
  18. Dec 10, 2014
    More guns, more gore, what else could someone want? The story is also great and has some emotional moments that almost made me tear up.

Verdict:
    A great game with emotional moments
  19. Jan 20, 2014
    When I think of what I love about GoW... This is the game I think of. It took everything from Gears of War (1) and made it better. The single player is decent, but this game ought to be purchased for the multiplayer.. That is where it's real value lies. Expect frustration at first... The multiplayer is very difficult to a newcomer. Don't expect an experience anything like CoD. This game isWhen I think of what I love about GoW... This is the game I think of. It took everything from Gears of War (1) and made it better. The single player is decent, but this game ought to be purchased for the multiplayer.. That is where it's real value lies. Expect frustration at first... The multiplayer is very difficult to a newcomer. Don't expect an experience anything like CoD. This game is like the anti-CoD. When you die, you sit until the next round. You don't have an endless combination of guns, perks, or anything that could give a player a disproportionate advantage. This is a raw gaming experience that I only recommend to people that understand the quote "Everything worth doing is worth doing badly". The multiplayer experience is infinitely rewarding, but is not for the casual gamer (go back to CoD). Expand
  20. Jan 10, 2014
    mejores graficos, mejor jugabilidad, mejor sonido y un mejor multijugador que el videojuego anterior un gears of war que demuestra su actual progreso en xbox 360 y el mejor gears of war
  21. Jan 6, 2014
    in my opinion the best third person shooter on the x-box 360 even better then the other 3 games if you have not played this game yet pick it up great shooting action long campaign collectibles horde mode is quite fun also and the limited edition comes with the golden lancer witch looks awesome unlike the one from gears of war 3 the achievements will keep you coming back for morein my opinion the best third person shooter on the x-box 360 even better then the other 3 games if you have not played this game yet pick it up great shooting action long campaign collectibles horde mode is quite fun also and the limited edition comes with the golden lancer witch looks awesome unlike the one from gears of war 3 the achievements will keep you coming back for more so much replay value 1750G Expand
  22. Dec 6, 2013
    nfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffnfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffjnfjdsbfjkdfbdsjkfbjdbfjdbjbfjdbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb Expand
  23. Sep 13, 2013
    For its gameplay, graphics, campaign, epic moments, further improvements with respect to the first, a great leap in the series undoubtedly, is a real gem.
  24. Sep 9, 2013
    A very good sequel that changes and adds things in to make it feel like a fresh new experience, I recommend this game to anyone that owns an Xbox 360.
  25. Aug 3, 2013
    La accion, los personajes, la trama, la traduccion al español de 10, los mapas estan de poca, un juego muy completo, fallo en el componente multijugador online pero no es para bajarle calificacion, me brindo años de diversion..hominidos..se fue!! jajaja
  26. Jun 25, 2013
    It might not be as exceptionally memorable as its predecessor, but Epic Games's follow-up still delivers all the action, characters, and violence that gamers warmly embrace.
  27. Jun 3, 2013
    This is the game that started it all when it comes to horde mode. My friends and I spent countless hours playing it, seeing how long we could last. It was also innovative with its huge set pieces and interesting story. Everything was better than the first and set up a near-perfect series finale.
  28. May 30, 2013
    A wonderful followup to an already great game. The campaign is still awesome and draws me in every time. They added Horde which allows you to fight against wave after wave of Locust infantry alone or with 4 of your bro's. Multiplayer is once again not user friendly, but is very enjoyable. Gears 2 is worth your money and will bring you a great many hours of fun.
  29. May 29, 2013
    This is a sequel that every Gears fan should play from start to finish! The campaign is great, especially with co-op and the MP is fun! Gears of War 2, in my opinion, is the best in the series!
  30. Apr 1, 2013
    I'm not so sure if it tops the first one, maybe they're neck and neck, but it doesn't matter because it is fun. Everything that got your dick hard in the first game is back.
  31. Mar 8, 2013
    Six months after the Lightmass bombing and humanity is still fighting for control of Sera against the Locust Horde. Though close to defeat the Locust have a secret weapon, one that is sinking the last bastions of humanity one by one. It is up to Marcus, Dom, Cole Baird to reunite as Delta Squad to go deep into the underground Locust cities to find this weapon and destroy it, so thatSix months after the Lightmass bombing and humanity is still fighting for control of Sera against the Locust Horde. Though close to defeat the Locust have a secret weapon, one that is sinking the last bastions of humanity one by one. It is up to Marcus, Dom, Cole Baird to reunite as Delta Squad to go deep into the underground Locust cities to find this weapon and destroy it, so that humanity can be one step closer to being at peace on Sera once again.
    Gears of war 2 takes all of the great gameplay that makes Gears, Gears. However the story is no-where near as strong as last time round and the level design for the Locust cities are just ugly and horrible. GoW2 is still one of the best exclusives for the 360, but its not as good as its predecessor.
  32. Jan 9, 2013
    Gears of war 2 is one the longest and most massive campaigns I have ever played. There is just something about being in a large scale assault against flesh eating monsters with guns that brings out your need to kill in gruesome ways. The 8-10 hour long campaign never gives you time breathe as you shoot, explode, and saw your way through the Locust stronghold. The third person gameplay isGears of war 2 is one the longest and most massive campaigns I have ever played. There is just something about being in a large scale assault against flesh eating monsters with guns that brings out your need to kill in gruesome ways. The 8-10 hour long campaign never gives you time breathe as you shoot, explode, and saw your way through the Locust stronghold. The third person gameplay is fun with easy controls. Filled with returning Gears 1 characters and new bosses makes this game one of my favorites. Expand
  33. Oct 29, 2012
    Gears of War 2 is a fantastic game, with an epic campaign, incredible Horde co-op experience, and improved multiplayer; all in a package that promises to keep players entertained for dozens, if not hundreds of hours. Several issues keep the game from being all it could be, but it remains a worthy addition to any 360 owner's library.
  34. Jul 21, 2012
    Despite somewhat repetitve gameplay, multiplayer imbalance and other flaws, overall game is good. The game idea itself is really good. I'm really looking forward to Gears of War 3 and hope it will be better in terms of polish, stability and balance.
  35. Jun 10, 2012
    Awesome action, new guns, better graphics, Brumak rodeo, more enemies. This is what every fan or lover of shooter games was expecting. But talking about animations (not the CGs), they could be more natural and less robotic, and your character could carry that Mulcher you were carrying in that scene, and not the Lancer...Just making my point.
  36. Jun 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is like having your cake and eating it, too. From the very moment you're training the rook to the end game battle with the Lambent Brumak, the game is very rewarding. A rich story that doesn't interfere with the carnage, the optional gore and language filters that ensure even younger gamers can enjoy the game, and top it off with a variety of challenging enemies, the game is nearly perfect. However, the AI is quite stupid sometimes. A few times, as I was dying, my stupid AI partner, Dom, walked past me ten times at least, and never revived me, as was intended. Nevertheless, don't let that change the perspective of the game. This game is very good, and I recommend it to anyone who loves shooters and action games. Expand
  37. May 27, 2012
    Not as groundbreaking as the first game, but still an awesome game and a fun ride.
  38. Mar 22, 2012
    I love Gears of War 2 this game is the **** Sure its multiplayer components were a bit tired after a year or two but this is definetly the game i have put in most hours to in count of multiplayer.
  39. Mar 6, 2012
    Thought it was the best and most fun of the series. Wasn't a fan of all the DLC or the cliffhanger out of nowhere ending. BUT had awesome levels, weapons, and a decent plot.
  40. Mar 5, 2012
    This is another example of a sequel that surpasses its predecessor in almost every way, the story is better, the graphics are fantastic but show some age in one or two little places and has texture loading issues, and the sound is phenomenal, the controls and combat are as smooth as butter, the campaign is intense and epic always puts you in a new scenario, from fantastic cover basedThis is another example of a sequel that surpasses its predecessor in almost every way, the story is better, the graphics are fantastic but show some age in one or two little places and has texture loading issues, and the sound is phenomenal, the controls and combat are as smooth as butter, the campaign is intense and epic always puts you in a new scenario, from fantastic cover based shooting with some of the coolest weapons in video games, to awesome vehicle sections, and it offers one of the most epic, empowering, and rewarding moments in video game history, I don't want to spoil it, but I will say this it involves a Brumak, there are still a small community playing online, but with Gears of War 3 out there you might as well go to that for your multiplayer, but it is still fun to play, and even without the thriving community the campaign alone makes it worth a purchase, so if you liked the first game this one is better in almost every way, you will not be disappointed. Expand
  41. Feb 26, 2012
    Gears of War 2 is one of the best games I have ever played. This campaign is by far one of my favorites! The game looks great, plays great, and sounds great! The storyline is massive, and you feel like you are apart of a desperate D-DAY-like assault against an overwhelming foe. The tale of invading the Locust Hollows is a gritty, visceral, and intense. The expansion into the depth of theGears of War 2 is one of the best games I have ever played. This campaign is by far one of my favorites! The game looks great, plays great, and sounds great! The storyline is massive, and you feel like you are apart of a desperate D-DAY-like assault against an overwhelming foe. The tale of invading the Locust Hollows is a gritty, visceral, and intense. The expansion into the depth of the World of Gears of war was great. It was nice to explore Dom's character a bit more, and to finally understand the whole side story mentioned in Gears of War 1 act 2. This game is wildly addictive, and is extremely innovative. Great boss battles throughout the game, and there was nothing like hijacking the Brumack and laying waste to hordes of Locust in the last level. This game is one of the best war stories I have ever played. The suspense, mystery, and variety are totally cool! This game reminded me why I love this series. Way to go Epic!! Expand
  42. Feb 15, 2012
    This game is great the story mode is amazing and hoard mode is a great addition and playing multiplayer is fun. Multiplayer may be fun but its also the worst part about the game while fighting people online is awesome about 60% of the time you will be lagging due to the lack of dedicated servers. While you move slower in this compared to gears of war 1 the cover system works a lot betterThis game is great the story mode is amazing and hoard mode is a great addition and playing multiplayer is fun. Multiplayer may be fun but its also the worst part about the game while fighting people online is awesome about 60% of the time you will be lagging due to the lack of dedicated servers. While you move slower in this compared to gears of war 1 the cover system works a lot better in this one, letting you traverse obstacles at a fast pace. If you can get past the laggy online then you will have a blast with this game Expand
  43. Jan 26, 2012
    Now this is more like, because compared to Gears 1, the Gears of War 2 campaign is twice the length of Gears 1, and there's also an extra difficulty level. What I really like about this game is the innovation, with variety in gameplay. Even though Gears of War 1 was a great game, Gears of War 2 is an improvement. My only complaints I have are the absence of some enemies and weapons thatNow this is more like, because compared to Gears 1, the Gears of War 2 campaign is twice the length of Gears 1, and there's also an extra difficulty level. What I really like about this game is the innovation, with variety in gameplay. Even though Gears of War 1 was a great game, Gears of War 2 is an improvement. My only complaints I have are the absence of some enemies and weapons that were in Gears 1 (though replaced with others), the blood can look pink when fighting in daylight, and we barely know about Marcus' past. The characters also seem to say the same phrases that was recorded for Gears 1.

I like how when you shoot an enemy (or when you get shot) the blood splatters onto the environment, unlike Gears 1 where it showed blood coming out but never landed. The sound of the weapons is a huge improvement, the music is fantastic, and the graphics are brilliant. The longer campaign of Gears 2 is what other shooters should look at as an example, where the campaign mode of games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Halo 3 are just too damn short. The campaign mode for Gears of War 2 is perfect for people who don't have Xbox Live Gold.

The Horde Mode is a wonderful addition to the game, where you can play by yourself or with friends to take down wave after wave of Locust.
  44. Jan 6, 2012
    It's awesome and feels awesome. Lame dialogue and story though. Very bad. 8 for multiplayer, 6 for singleplayer. I don't particularly like how some of the guns handle, and my favourite mode is definitely execution.
  45. Dec 12, 2011
    Graphics:5 stars

There ainâ
  46. Dec 4, 2011
    Gears of War 2 is a great and fun game to play that is bloodily satisfying. The game is great even if it has some flaws. The graphics of the game are impressive and the controls play out very well, much better than in the first game. The story is much better than than the first one's too. The multiplayer is a fun mode to play and you will want to play this for some time. The story is aGears of War 2 is a great and fun game to play that is bloodily satisfying. The game is great even if it has some flaws. The graphics of the game are impressive and the controls play out very well, much better than in the first game. The story is much better than than the first one's too. The multiplayer is a fun mode to play and you will want to play this for some time. The story is a great and more concise effort that is more logical and has some more emotion than than the first one, the intensity and emotion is well played out. The only flaws with the game are that voice acting could use some work, the graphics could use some cleaning up and the story could have less testoterone-filled dudebro dialogue. The multiplayer could get some tweaks too but the flaws are not that bad. Overall, GoW 2 is a great game that is fun to play that will entertain you for a while. A definitive better game than the second one. Breakdown for "Gears of War 2": Presentation: 9, Graphics: 9.5, Sound: 9, Playability: 9.5, Lasting Appeal: 9.3, Verdict: 9.4 out of 10 "Amazing". Expand
  47. Nov 20, 2011
    The game may lack in areas, but still shines in many others. I found the campaign to be the best I've ever played in any shooters, and I've enjoyed the story very much so far. The overall gameplay is great, but the game's only yet big flaw is it's replay value. At the most, it offers campaign, competitive online, and horde. The game may not last long, but while you still have it, you areThe game may lack in areas, but still shines in many others. I found the campaign to be the best I've ever played in any shooters, and I've enjoyed the story very much so far. The overall gameplay is great, but the game's only yet big flaw is it's replay value. At the most, it offers campaign, competitive online, and horde. The game may not last long, but while you still have it, you are in for a wild ride. Expand
  48. Nov 15, 2011
    Improved multiplayer and visuals definently get a thumbs up from me. However the campaign is shorter and the story is far too recycled from the previous game, Ends exactly the same as well.
  49. Nov 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gears of War 2 is even more thrilling than the 1st Gears of War. Probably the funniest and coolest part of the game is when the main characters go inside the giant rock worm and take it down by cutting its hearts out. Expand
  50. Nov 1, 2011
    Single player: The single player campaign is the main reason why I love Gears of War. I spent most of my time on the game, playing the campaign. The story is great and the controls are pretty good. I feel like the campaign was just long enough as well. With it on it's easiest level, it's EXTREMELY easy and hard is just hard enough to still enjoy the game Multiplayer: I enjoyed multiplayerSingle player: The single player campaign is the main reason why I love Gears of War. I spent most of my time on the game, playing the campaign. The story is great and the controls are pretty good. I feel like the campaign was just long enough as well. With it on it's easiest level, it's EXTREMELY easy and hard is just hard enough to still enjoy the game Multiplayer: I enjoyed multiplayer but I wasn't good at it. I was very impatient and that hurt me. You have to be good at aiming from your hip a lot. It's solid gameplay, but it just wasn't my thing. It also was really broken. It was hard to get into matches and had MANY glitches. Expand
  51. Sep 28, 2011
    Campaign is deep, controls are done right and the action is hardcore and brutal. Insane difficulty is as it should be. It's good that it makes it harder for co-op because if one person dies you have to restart the checkpoint. The only problem with this game is the multiplayer. While it is satisfying, I rarely got into a match that wasn't laggy. And I don't mean slightly. I mean a full 3Campaign is deep, controls are done right and the action is hardcore and brutal. Insane difficulty is as it should be. It's good that it makes it harder for co-op because if one person dies you have to restart the checkpoint. The only problem with this game is the multiplayer. While it is satisfying, I rarely got into a match that wasn't laggy. And I don't mean slightly. I mean a full 3 mins behind where the game actually freezes. To add further frustration, the ranking system got updated so I ended up losing my rank from level 21 to level 1 again. There's also no free-for-all or game mode where you respawn. Horde mode is what makes this game great. Expand
  52. Sep 18, 2011
    One of the best games of all time. Improves clearly in relation to Gears of War - chainsaw duels, refined multiplayer, meatshields. Multiplayer is awesome - Warzone, Execution, Annex, Guardian, Horde and the whole campaign (of about 10 hours) with a friend. It can't be compared to a book, but the history is well telled. Graphics are great - even more for a game of 2008. For me, Gears ofOne of the best games of all time. Improves clearly in relation to Gears of War - chainsaw duels, refined multiplayer, meatshields. Multiplayer is awesome - Warzone, Execution, Annex, Guardian, Horde and the whole campaign (of about 10 hours) with a friend. It can't be compared to a book, but the history is well telled. Graphics are great - even more for a game of 2008. For me, Gears of War is as big as Halo. I don't know why there are negative reviews - probably from Sony fanboys, but if you own an Xbox, you MUST buy this game. Expand
  53. Sep 2, 2011
    For me, Gears of War 2 is quite simply one of the greatest sequels ever to grace a console. Gears of War was a breakthrough game that encapsulated so many, however the improvement made in Gears 2 is phenominal. This game really does eclipse the original in every way. To begin with the gameplay is so much more enhanced and plays much more smoother than its predecessor. For example theFor me, Gears of War 2 is quite simply one of the greatest sequels ever to grace a console. Gears of War was a breakthrough game that encapsulated so many, however the improvement made in Gears 2 is phenominal. This game really does eclipse the original in every way. To begin with the gameplay is so much more enhanced and plays much more smoother than its predecessor. For example the shooting system just seems to be perfectly presented. Zooming is hardly revolutionary but I thought it was a marvellous addition to the game. Ofcourse there are new weapons which adds more to the game and as expected they are awesome. And, surprise surprise there is also new creatures within the Locus Horde.The story has been criticisized by many but I didn't have a problem with it whatsoever, yes it times it's hard to follow and here and there but its simply about an all out attack on the Locust Horde with a few side stories thrown in to spice things up now and again. But the things I found fault with in the original, however few they were I just felt had been addressed in every way i'd wanted. And whatever mas missing from the first outing is not in Gears 2! It just oozes quality from start to finish and once more you will find yourself engulfed in destorying the Horde. Theres plenty of variety on offer shooting, driving, hell even controlling the Locust Horde's own inventions one in particular at the end is awesome fun! Visually its a massive improvement on Gears 1 and takes it up another level, but you know what your getting the looks aren't everything when it comes to this seriesOnline, well what more can I say other than try it. Because when you do, you might just be sacrificng hours on end, it draws you in and you will seriously struggle to let go its incredible! All in all this is an unmissable expereince. It dwarfs the original in every way possible. All I can say is buy this game (if you haven't already ofcourse) Expand
  54. Aug 30, 2011
    Possibly one of the best reasons to own an Xbox 360. Gears of War 2 is easily my favorite console shooter. The multiplayer matchmaking has improved in almost every possible way, the co-op ended up being an awesome addition to the game also. The horde mode is good, it feels lacking though. The weapon arsenal is bad ass. The maps were as good as the maps in the original Gears of War, IPossibly one of the best reasons to own an Xbox 360. Gears of War 2 is easily my favorite console shooter. The multiplayer matchmaking has improved in almost every possible way, the co-op ended up being an awesome addition to the game also. The horde mode is good, it feels lacking though. The weapon arsenal is bad ass. The maps were as good as the maps in the original Gears of War, I didn't see much of a variation between the two. The only thing I could **** slap this game with is the story, it turned it into a dramatic soap opera, it didn't turn out well either; I definitely didn't hate it though. Expand
  55. Jul 15, 2011
    I loved it , not blown away by the typical standard's , i most say is an exaggeration by all any means, which is what i a hated . The story is good and is interesting, and the visuals are beautiful and well made. The multiplayer is what i found cool, quite challenging. Looking forward too Gears of War 3, that may be the monster.
  56. Jul 15, 2011
    So maybe it doesn't go farther away from the original but the gameplay is still great. The campaign story isn't as great or intense as the first's but the addition of multi-player is awesome if you wanna play online against your friends or by your self. If I could I'd give it a 9.5.
  57. Jul 15, 2011
    Great follow to an epic series! Things to note:

Graphics: Not much improvement from the 1st one but still very well done Physics: Ability to damage your environment is a huge improvement and makes the game surprisingly more enjoyable. Could be take a little further, but very well done. Weapons: Don't expect much change but still a solid set to choose from. Chainsaw is still the greatest
    Great follow to an epic series! Things to note:

Graphics: Not much improvement from the 1st one but still very well done
    Weapons: Don't expect much change but still a solid set to choose from. Chainsaw is still the greatest thing to come to shooters.
    Plot: Not one to follow the story line, but it's not difficult and somewhat interesting. The places it takes you is quite exciting. Game play: Easy to catch onto and their physics engine just makes it an awesome experience.

Multiplayer: Loving the new maps. Mixes up playing style for if you prefer more open spaces or even closed areas. Good range of weapon possibilities.

OVERALL: Great job on the 1st. Fantastic followup, and eagerly anticipating the 3rd.
  58. Jun 13, 2011
    The game is nice in my opinion. Story plot is very nice and immerses you in. I don't understand why people would not enjoy slaughtering something a hundred times bigger than you, makes you look like a hero. The plot is very straightforwards but with a few side plots like Dom's wife Maria. Let's be honest we all want to know where the Locust come from but then we have Dom's wife who isThe game is nice in my opinion. Story plot is very nice and immerses you in. I don't understand why people would not enjoy slaughtering something a hundred times bigger than you, makes you look like a hero. The plot is very straightforwards but with a few side plots like Dom's wife Maria. Let's be honest we all want to know where the Locust come from but then we have Dom's wife who is just... she just didn't deserve the fate she had. If you understood how long Dom and Maria had been split from each other you'd understand why Dom is so determined to find her. Voice acting is also not too bad, with each actor making use of their talent to make a believable character, in a group there should be always two who hate each other, close friends and the one who's a newbie. Over all it's not a bad buy Expand
  59. Jun 13, 2011
    Much more of everything you could want.Story,action,awesome sauce.Could not be much better though I missed the Berserkers from the original.360 owners must have this!
  60. Jun 4, 2011
    The Campaign was brilliant and the high definition in it was immaculate. The Storyline was great as were the whole Graphics for the Game. The Insane Horde was beyond fantastic although it does get boring after you complete Wave 10 and it repeats itself by starting again but the Locusts are just much stronger. Online is slow but it is worth the wait. Multiplayer online is just as great asThe Campaign was brilliant and the high definition in it was immaculate. The Storyline was great as were the whole Graphics for the Game. The Insane Horde was beyond fantastic although it does get boring after you complete Wave 10 and it repeats itself by starting again but the Locusts are just much stronger. Online is slow but it is worth the wait. Multiplayer online is just as great as Multiplayer Campaign. Expand
  61. Jun 3, 2011
    Bueno este juego es lo mejor que ha salido en lo que va del xbox 360 por 3 simples razones.
    La primera es que la historia es muy buena y atrapa al jugador desde el incio.
    La segunda es que el gameplay es excelente y los botones se ajustan bien al juego. La tercera es el multijugador que aunque el principio fue malo ahora arreglado es muy bueno tambien. Comprenlo, rentenlo, pidanlo
    La primera es que la historia es muy buena y atrapa al jugador desde el incio.
    Comprenlo, rentenlo, pidanlo restado; Da igual pero jueguenlo ya.
  62. May 31, 2011
    What can i say,even better than the already perfect Gears of War 1! With many aspects,tightned up even more,such as the cover system.& Graphics seem even more detailed,thanks to the newer Unreal Engine,& a much more interesting story,with more emotion with the characters.Also more suprises with the types of creatures your going to take on.Would've been nice if they made it 3 or 4 playerWhat can i say,even better than the already perfect Gears of War 1! With many aspects,tightned up even more,such as the cover system.& Graphics seem even more detailed,thanks to the newer Unreal Engine,& a much more interesting story,with more emotion with the characters.Also more suprises with the types of creatures your going to take on.Would've been nice if they made it 3 or 4 player Co-Op in the campaign,but at least it still has Co-Op,which i'm always grateful for,& Gears 3 is going to have 5 player Co-Op(Yes 5)!,to make up for it,so the trilogy is looking to go out well.Also,for number 2,it was good to see that they introduced the option to fight against bots in multiplayer,& with other players against the bots,as i sometimes like to just play a multiplayer,but with out the stress of playing against the those people that play NOTHING BUT multiplayer,which just isnt fun.I cant comment on multiplayer on the whole though,as that aspect of the game doesnt interest me particually & i've hardly touched it.Lastly,this game is still a shining example to those lazy developers out there,who use the lame excuse that their game 'cant do' campaign Co-Op.& cant do it Split-Screen,or Split-Screen without borders.Well if Gears can,with its(lets face it)top end graphics,then ANY game can.Simple as that! Great game on the whole though! Expand
  63. May 11, 2011
    With the announcement of Gears 3 recently, I decided to return to the previous titles to give them a go in anticipation for the third. That should tell you that I'm a fan of Gears of War and pretty much have played them right from the beginning. Now, when I initially got Gears of War 2, I was majorly disappointed. The campaign was fantastic, yes but I really bought it for the killerWith the announcement of Gears 3 recently, I decided to return to the previous titles to give them a go in anticipation for the third. That should tell you that I'm a fan of Gears of War and pretty much have played them right from the beginning. Now, when I initially got Gears of War 2, I was majorly disappointed. The campaign was fantastic, yes but I really bought it for the killer multiplayer.
    Obviously, there were a host of problems right from launch date. Lag, not finding matches etc. But Epic clearly knows what it's doing and has resolved the problems from launch day over the past couple of years. Now the troublesome host advantage is barely noticeable and it's an extremely enjoyable online experience, complete with ranking system. I'm definitely looking forward to the third title and will play this till September 20th.
  64. Apr 27, 2011
    9/10 = Amazing = A great shooter with fun, addictive gameplay. Excellent graphics, awesome campaign. Mulltiplayer needs a lot of work for Gears 3.
  65. Apr 21, 2011
    This game is awesome. That isn't a very refined word but this is no refined experience. There are a great many games on the market today that offer the "I'm a big, testosterone spewing Space Marine....in Space, and all Aliens must be violently punished." sort of games. None do it quite as well as "Gears of War 2".

The setting is cliche but completely realized. It's a boys club of well

The setting is cliche but completely realized. It's a boys club of well designed gigantic characters in well designed war torn environments kicking ass in the name of humanity. The Weapons, vehicles and locales in the game all help to put you into the blockbuster mind-set and played through co-op the campaign offers a ton of variety and unique shoot out moments with touch perfect controls and great paving thoughout.

It's going to get a lot of flack for being stupid, and that is stupid. I definitely love a cerebral and innovative game experience. But sometimes I want to jump into my favorite sci-fi action movies and just blow some **** up. This satisfies that urge. If you're a shooter fan, well you're already playing this. If you think you're too good for; pull the bug out of your ass and join the fun.
  66. Apr 20, 2011
    Gears of War 2 is a great game. The campaign is fun, while the story is a bit naff, playing with a mate is a great experience and the fun you can get out of wiping out horde after horde of locust makes this one of my favourite games. Horde mode itself is brilliant, especially with mates and you achievement of surviving waves 1-50 is one of the highlights of my gaming career. Multi-playerGears of War 2 is a great game. The campaign is fun, while the story is a bit naff, playing with a mate is a great experience and the fun you can get out of wiping out horde after horde of locust makes this one of my favourite games. Horde mode itself is brilliant, especially with mates and you achievement of surviving waves 1-50 is one of the highlights of my gaming career. Multi-player is the only downside, I've never got to grips with it really but it can be fun in short doses, but be prepared to get slaughtered if you're not a hardcore player. Expand
  67. Apr 6, 2011
    Quite simply one of the best shooters ever seen on the market, an extensive campaign followed up by fun and lasting multiplayer. Epic has come a long way in developing games, they really broke the mold with this series. The controls are solid and stunning graphics and sound to go with it, there is a small frame rate collapse here and there but nothing game breaking at all. MultiplayerQuite simply one of the best shooters ever seen on the market, an extensive campaign followed up by fun and lasting multiplayer. Epic has come a long way in developing games, they really broke the mold with this series. The controls are solid and stunning graphics and sound to go with it, there is a small frame rate collapse here and there but nothing game breaking at all. Multiplayer at launch was a mess but they cleaned that up nicely with their updates, I think it covers a lot of bases with multiplayer for all player needs. This series will just get better as the new anticipated Gears 3 will soon be out, Epic has raised the bar once again with their new release. Its a really addicting game since there is an experience gain to level up and with tons of achievements to work for. Horde mode really helped this series out a lot and adding bots was a plus for players lacking internet that way they can still use the multiplayer content. I play this game almost everyday still, its replay value is grand and you simply cannot go wrong with this game its a must have for you collection. Expand
  68. Mar 14, 2011
    Gears Of War 2 is bigger, and better than it's predecessor. It has taken all the elements from Gears Of War and improved on them. However, not much has changed from the first game, Epic Games has done little to tried and trusted formula, other than minor tweaks here and there. The gameplay, is very much the same. The cover system has been tightened, which makes taking cover behind objectsGears Of War 2 is bigger, and better than it's predecessor. It has taken all the elements from Gears Of War and improved on them. However, not much has changed from the first game, Epic Games has done little to tried and trusted formula, other than minor tweaks here and there. The gameplay, is very much the same. The cover system has been tightened, which makes taking cover behind objects more fluid and easier. The combat system is fantastic. The shooting is satisfying, and getting the Locust between your sights has never felt this good. Unsurprisingly, the game still encourages you to make use of the Lancer through the majority of the campaign. Making use of the chainsaw in firefights is a welcome break from the pop-and-shoot mechanic. The enemies from the first game return, with the exception of a few fresh faces to decimate. The graphics have also been improved upon, with exceptional shading, lighting, and character models. This is by far the best looking game on Xbox 360 for 2008. This game is not perfect, but it sure as hell gets close. The story, that drives the game, just like the predecessor, flatlines. It feels like the missions were created, and a story was filled in just to put the pieces of the puzzle together. With regards to the narrative, I don't care really. I still have to meet a person who played Gears Of War just for it's story. As you know, the story in the previous iteration was not one to pull at the emotional strings. This time however, Epic has attempted to introduce emotional elements in to the game, and has failed miserably. These scenes often come across as a joke, and we urge Epic Games to focus on the balls-out action rather than attempt to bring tears to our eyes. Nonetheless, Gears Of War 2 defines what an action game should be, combat is brutally entertaining and does not shy away from the extreme violence. If you are over eighteen, I suggest you go your nearest retailer and pick up Gears Of War 2. It has a lengthy ten hour campaign, an addictive multiplayer component along with co-op play. Simply put, it is worth every cent. Expand
  69. Mar 4, 2011
    Gears of war 2 I like to play this game because you have to do mission on there and you have to zombies on there, if you kill them you can get there guns on there. They are different gum on there when you kill the monster. It is fun when you play when you play two players on there. You have to work in a team if one you die in the game the other person has to do most of the work on there.Gears of war 2 I like to play this game because you have to do mission on there and you have to zombies on there, if you kill them you can get there guns on there. They are different gum on there when you kill the monster. It is fun when you play when you play two players on there. You have to work in a team if one you die in the game the other person has to do most of the work on there. If your partner dies on there you have to do it again and you will not like. This game you can play online with this game I like play this game with my friends and cousins. With this game there is more shoot on there and there is more blood in this game I like shooting games. Most people like shooting games because there is more blood and different guns on all the games. It is better to play you mates or which people are on line on Xbox 360 or Ps3. it a great game to play. When do some a mission I will get hard and they are different levels on the they is easy hard and very hard . you can pick on of them three but the game will get hard Expand
  70. Jan 22, 2011
    This game is so much fun even after 2 or 3 years after he multiplayer is still super fun and the campain tells one of the best storys iv heard in a shooter
  71. Nov 25, 2010
    This is a worthy sequel to a great game. The single player has more action and explosions, though the story is still about a bunch of space marines being badasses. Who cares? The point is to shoot stuff, and in that approach, it's a great experience that has tight controls and rewarding combat. The multiplayer is well expanded and this is the first game that I can recall that uses theThis is a worthy sequel to a great game. The single player has more action and explosions, though the story is still about a bunch of space marines being badasses. Who cares? The point is to shoot stuff, and in that approach, it's a great experience that has tight controls and rewarding combat. The multiplayer is well expanded and this is the first game that I can recall that uses the "horde" system of cooperative play against waves of harder and harder enemies. I like this more than the actual multiplayer of the game, which is full of people who apparently play this game 24/7 and are so good it takes the fun out of trying to play. Expand
  72. Oct 30, 2010
    A great improvement on the original with more weapons, characters, maps, enemy types complimented with some improved graphics and sounds. Although the story and gameplay is pretty much the same the whole way through, it is great fun nonetheless although some might feel it lacks the awesomeness Gears of War 1 brought when it was released.
  73. Oct 20, 2010
    I knew I loved it from the first time I saw it. The graphics are stunning to say the least. The only reason people hate it is mostly because of the sometimes laggy multiplayer. My main problem with the game is those hyper gamers that act stupid for no reason. Obviously, it's a game and getting hyper over a game is idiotic and ignorant. This is a must-buy. That's why it won a lot of Game ofI knew I loved it from the first time I saw it. The graphics are stunning to say the least. The only reason people hate it is mostly because of the sometimes laggy multiplayer. My main problem with the game is those hyper gamers that act stupid for no reason. Obviously, it's a game and getting hyper over a game is idiotic and ignorant. This is a must-buy. That's why it won a lot of Game of the Year awards. Expand
  74. Sep 21, 2010
    I would have given this game a 9.5 if I could. I felt that Epic Games had succeded in yet another awesome game. The new horde mode is a great laugh. The online progression system is sweet and the maps are epic. Especially now they ave released the 'All Fronts Collection' (what an awesome deal). The online is deffinatlet better than the original. But the campaign however, seemed to lack theI would have given this game a 9.5 if I could. I felt that Epic Games had succeded in yet another awesome game. The new horde mode is a great laugh. The online progression system is sweet and the maps are epic. Especially now they ave released the 'All Fronts Collection' (what an awesome deal). The online is deffinatlet better than the original. But the campaign however, seemed to lack the 'feel' of gears of war 1. I miss the Kryl and Beserkers, I didn't feel scared in any way and the storyline just didn't seem quite as good as the previous and I still can't get my head around the fact that the lightmass bomb made the locust stronger? However that said the campaign did feel more epic with the large armies, and the updated technology meaning you can fit loads of enemeies on the screen. Skorge was definitely a better bad guy than RAAM and I was glad to see more of the lambant locust (except this time not just wretches). Overall, I'd say Gears of War 2 is a must have, it's an oustanding game both offline and online but the storyline just wasn't quite good enough for me. Expand
  75. Sep 6, 2010
    FAVORITE GAME EVER. ITS GEARS OF WAR 1 BUT BIGGER AND BETTER, the one thing that i ddnt like was the boss battles were 2d and more like a cutscene..jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
  76. Sep 4, 2010
    After playing Gears of war 2 I was quite satisfied with the game. The story, somewhat bland, was still interesting. However a few minor issues keeps this score from being a perfect one. Sometimes the controls are unresponsive or delayed which could mean the difference between life and death. Another issue I faced was when I switched from xbox live to unconnected form the internet theAfter playing Gears of war 2 I was quite satisfied with the game. The story, somewhat bland, was still interesting. However a few minor issues keeps this score from being a perfect one. Sometimes the controls are unresponsive or delayed which could mean the difference between life and death. Another issue I faced was when I switched from xbox live to unconnected form the internet the game would wipe all of my progress and start over again. So say you were on wave 49 of horde and you unplugged your ethernet cable and turned off the xbox. When you play the game again it will reset. Other then that the weapons are nice, the multiplayer, on or offline, well balanced, and horde is fun with friends. I say this game is a 9.25. Expand
  77. MaverickP
    Feb 23, 2010
    The game [CS1.6] truly is a legandary game on its own, supassing countless games in the highs and lows and still to this day maintaining high popularitie and continueing to grow more and more. this is byfar the BEST fps game i have played. for it era and time when developed, the graphics, gameplay and overall design is AWESOME....this is one game to be proud of no doubt if you enjoy a The game [CS1.6] truly is a legandary game on its own, supassing countless games in the highs and lows and still to this day maintaining high popularitie and continueing to grow more and more. this is byfar the BEST fps game i have played. for it era and time when developed, the graphics, gameplay and overall design is AWESOME....this is one game to be proud of no doubt if you enjoy a true fps game this is it....need i say more..buy it get it enjoy it !!!! -Maverick user since 1998 Expand
  78. MichaelK
    Jan 19, 2010
    Why all the bad reviews this is a solid game and even though I live in an area with terrible connection speeds I hardly suffer any lag yes there where issues when the game was released but these issues are all cleared now the only possible compaint anyone could have about the online is the amount of hardcore players who will own all newcomers untill they adjust to the way this game works Why all the bad reviews this is a solid game and even though I live in an area with terrible connection speeds I hardly suffer any lag yes there where issues when the game was released but these issues are all cleared now the only possible compaint anyone could have about the online is the amount of hardcore players who will own all newcomers untill they adjust to the way this game works because it is truly unlike any other game out there Expand
  79. CodyB
    Jan 19, 2010
    Well sure there seems to be some issues with the online play to this game, however, it is something that can be fixed. The graphics, and unique gameplay and tactical team work needed is amazing and unlike any other. A great game and shows remarkable potential for what is to come for the rumored Gears of War 3.
  80. AaronT.
    Nov 19, 2009
    Ugh ok at first I came over to metacritic for a stats report I'm doing but after seeing some of these comments I have to say it's sad to see so many people whining over a great game...listen up Halo fanboys I could go on all day about how Halo is an incredibly flawed game and if you are a Gears 1 junkie...wow way to pussy out...It's clear you just couldn't handle real Ugh ok at first I came over to metacritic for a stats report I'm doing but after seeing some of these comments I have to say it's sad to see so many people whining over a great game...listen up Halo fanboys I could go on all day about how Halo is an incredibly flawed game and if you are a Gears 1 junkie...wow way to pussy out...It's clear you just couldn't handle real competitive matches and it suites you to go back...AND to be clear to all every online game has moments with major lag and YES that includes your Halo and Call of Duty...stop wasting space with your useless rants to give room to REAL user reviews... Expand
  81. ChrisC
    Nov 19, 2009
    Gears of War 2 is an amazing game, that improves a lot of stuff from the original Gears of War & adds some new stuff too! And all of the people who have been giving it low ratings are a bunch of Halo addicts, that fail to realize that Gears of War 2 really is an amazing game! Not all shooters have to be about charging enemies & shooting wildly! I mean Gears of War 2 is a lot more Gears of War 2 is an amazing game, that improves a lot of stuff from the original Gears of War & adds some new stuff too! And all of the people who have been giving it low ratings are a bunch of Halo addicts, that fail to realize that Gears of War 2 really is an amazing game! Not all shooters have to be about charging enemies & shooting wildly! I mean Gears of War 2 is a lot more realistic than most shooters! And is one of the best shooters that I have ever played! Expand
  82. JamesM
    Nov 19, 2009
    Gears of War 2 is a awesome game! With a fun campaign mode (although it is a little short), a very awesome & fun new mode called Horde Mode where you get to kill wave after wave of locust, new enemies, new weapons, great graphics, & great gameplay! My two biggest problems with game though is that the online is very laggy, & the final boss of the campaign mode is way too easy. But besides Gears of War 2 is a awesome game! With a fun campaign mode (although it is a little short), a very awesome & fun new mode called Horde Mode where you get to kill wave after wave of locust, new enemies, new weapons, great graphics, & great gameplay! My two biggest problems with game though is that the online is very laggy, & the final boss of the campaign mode is way too easy. But besides that I would say that Gears of War 2 is an awesome game that improves a lot of things from the original Gears of War! And I would highly recommend Gears of War 2 to anyone who is a fan of third-person shooters, or anyone who is a fan of the original Gears of War! Expand
  83. PigPiles
    Nov 17, 2009
    I would have give this game a 10 but it has quite a few bugs with it that isnt a really big deal. Graphics is top notch. Campaign is extremely good. Multiplayer is superb. The people complaining about it taking to long to find a match are obviously not that smart. Open your NAT settings so that it is not restricted then i bet you can find a match within a minute, and possibly you need a I would have give this game a 10 but it has quite a few bugs with it that isnt a really big deal. Graphics is top notch. Campaign is extremely good. Multiplayer is superb. The people complaining about it taking to long to find a match are obviously not that smart. Open your NAT settings so that it is not restricted then i bet you can find a match within a minute, and possibly you need a better connection. I have not had any problems finding matches. Great controls and physics. Another flaw with the game is the host advantage. That needs to be taken out because i feel it gives an unfair advantage to the opposing team. Expand
  84. KanishkA
    Nov 14, 2009
    This game is by far one of the best 1st person shooters I have ever played, or that has been made for that matter. I am actually stunned to see the rating given by other users. This game is perfect in each and every regard. So such low rating by these users is bewildering, The story is extremely engaging and the graphics are best you will find in any game period. The sound effects, the This game is by far one of the best 1st person shooters I have ever played, or that has been made for that matter. I am actually stunned to see the rating given by other users. This game is perfect in each and every regard. So such low rating by these users is bewildering, The story is extremely engaging and the graphics are best you will find in any game period. The sound effects, the weapons the enemies everything is just awesome, This is just a perfect package. Enjoyed it thoroughly and have played it again and again. Expand
  85. TS
    Oct 11, 2009
    One of the best games ever made. Sure, the online can be laggy and glitchy, but its fun when its not, and the singleplayer campaign was amazing, fun, and had a better storyline for Gears 2. I also felt pretty bad for Carmine when he "SPOILERS" died "END SPOILERS". Very, very awesome game.
  86. chrisv
    Oct 5, 2009
    this game is quality. had to write in cos some of these user comments are totally way of the mark. ive played GOW and GOW2 twice right through both r great games but GOW2 takes it to the next level. its one of the best sequels out there. its a keeper as they say!
  87. AnonymousMC
    Sep 7, 2009
    Overall it's a fun game. It has good graphics and the two player campaign it great even though it is a short. I cannot see how some people are giving this game a 0. It has its problems but all games do. Even though the multiplayer deathmatch mode is lacking it makes up for it in the story mode. I had fun playing it, and I think it is a good game.
  88. Matt
    Aug 2, 2009
    It makes me sad to see people that cannot recognize an epic game when they see one. Most of the people that rate low are Halo addicts that can't stand to realize just how amazing this game is. In my opinion, it is the only true next gen game I have ever played. Shooters don't have to be about charging enemies and shooting wildly and completely unrealistically. This is the way It makes me sad to see people that cannot recognize an epic game when they see one. Most of the people that rate low are Halo addicts that can't stand to realize just how amazing this game is. In my opinion, it is the only true next gen game I have ever played. Shooters don't have to be about charging enemies and shooting wildly and completely unrealistically. This is the way real war is done. Expand
  89. CiaranG.
    Jun 28, 2009
    The single-player game (which can also be played with up to 4 friends via Xbox Live) is one of the best I have ever played. It is short and will only take a few days to complete if played almost flat out but those few days will be absolutely mind blowing. It's an absolutely intense game and hell of a lot of fun. The graphics and visuals are absolutely top-notch - at times jaw The single-player game (which can also be played with up to 4 friends via Xbox Live) is one of the best I have ever played. It is short and will only take a few days to complete if played almost flat out but those few days will be absolutely mind blowing. It's an absolutely intense game and hell of a lot of fun. The graphics and visuals are absolutely top-notch - at times jaw dropping and stunning. The storyline is much better this time around too, at times injecting some emotion and it succeeded in shocking me speechless at one point. Gameplay never feels repetitive since you will always be doing something different, and run-and-gun action is mixed in with some stunning driving and flying levels too. Great online play will long extend the life of this game as will the various difficulty levels which act as an incentive to return again and again. Must-have game. Expand
  90. Sablicious...
    Jun 26, 2009
    Gears Of War 2 is just an awesome video game, and the best shooter around. The storyline is pretty mean, and the suicide by Tai really added to the effect of how badly they were torturing people. The Multiplayer is epic as, and the masses upon masses of unnessescary gore is just legendary. The horde part of the game I believe is the most fun, and the inclusion of 5 maps from the first Gears Of War 2 is just an awesome video game, and the best shooter around. The storyline is pretty mean, and the suicide by Tai really added to the effect of how badly they were torturing people. The Multiplayer is epic as, and the masses upon masses of unnessescary gore is just legendary. The horde part of the game I believe is the most fun, and the inclusion of 5 maps from the first game is mean as. Great game! Expand
  91. AdamW
    May 21, 2009
    Not the best game ever but still one of the best cover shooters around. The storyline was a little disappointing with the extremely easy end boss but the inclusion of 5 of the original Gears of War maps makes up for that.
  92. takedat
    May 2, 2009
    The campaign is much better than Gears 1. The levels are more thought out and make you feel like you are actually in the environment. I would have gave it a 10 if the online play interface was better. Also, it would have been better to have a actual boss fight. Maybe in the next game. Overall, great game ... no doubt.
  93. PatrickM
    Apr 18, 2009
    Easily one of the best games ever online or offline. There is so much to do on gears for example co-op campains, hordes, several multiplayer game mode like, warzone, execution, gaurdian, annex, wingman and more. And finally anyone who critisises this game don't no what there talking about. GEARS OF WAR FOR THE WIN!!!
  94. TB
    Mar 5, 2009
    Easily one of the best games I've ever played. There were a lot of little flaws (not enough weapons and you can only hold two at a time, tank level, graphics werent nearly as mind blowing as 1, super easy final boss while some of the other bosses took too long to beat, D pad on 360 sucks, weapon system could be a lot cooler, cover system is the best one ever but it still sometimes Easily one of the best games I've ever played. There were a lot of little flaws (not enough weapons and you can only hold two at a time, tank level, graphics werent nearly as mind blowing as 1, super easy final boss while some of the other bosses took too long to beat, D pad on 360 sucks, weapon system could be a lot cooler, cover system is the best one ever but it still sometimes frustrates, confusing (but cool) story, running, often too dark to enjoy the beautiful art direction, the slow speed he walks, the way the camera moves slower when you zoom in, etc). But this game is so easy to pick up and play with easy to learn controls, its gameplay is so much fun , and its full of so many amazing moments and amazing set pieces and cool enemies, that it more than makes up for all the negatives. Also, having the option of playing MP with bots is great for all those who dont have the internet. The additions of meat shield, curb stomping in single player, better cut scenes that tell a cooler story, expanded MP, and no real lulls in the gameplay are the real improvement over Gears 1. Expand
  95. DesO
    Feb 25, 2009
    The single player is pretty good (and only get better in co-op). It's epic in scope as well as gameplay and the story, while not the strongest out there, is entertaining in an action movie kind of way. The gameplay is more weighted than the first gears and the cover system works much better. The multiplayer is good but the matchmaking can be fun-suckingly slow. this is compensated by The single player is pretty good (and only get better in co-op). It's epic in scope as well as gameplay and the story, while not the strongest out there, is entertaining in an action movie kind of way. The gameplay is more weighted than the first gears and the cover system works much better. The multiplayer is good but the matchmaking can be fun-suckingly slow. this is compensated by the fact that you can host a game with a few friends and fill the remaining slots with bots, or you can try to hold out against wave after wave of locust in horde mode. The graphics are a more refined than the first gears and thus significantly better. Overall a pretty solid package and well worth it's weight in gold. Expand
  96. jsoem.
    Feb 21, 2009
    This game in my opinion is great far superior than gears of war 1. the new features (frag tags, meatshields and improved cover system to name a few) keeps the series refreshed, the new story was awesome. the cut scenes were great and the twists and turns in the story make for a great game. LOVE IT.
  97. NajamU.
    Feb 17, 2009
    THIS GAME ROCKS! I've always been a gears of war fan and this game didn't disappoint me.There was a dramatic change in graphics which brightened up the game.Despite having the same combat techniques as the first one this game is really fun playing.To be really honest with you the story-line was great but the boss was absurd.The multiplayer battles are OFF THE HOOK.So grab some THIS GAME ROCKS! I've always been a gears of war fan and this game didn't disappoint me.There was a dramatic change in graphics which brightened up the game.Despite having the same combat techniques as the first one this game is really fun playing.To be really honest with you the story-line was great but the boss was absurd.The multiplayer battles are OFF THE HOOK.So grab some bucks,break your piggy-banks(its strange why do they call it like this my brother told me)or steal some money.Somehow break into a store and get it as quick as possible and buy it.believe me I don't lie guys. Expand
  98. DerekRomich
    Feb 11, 2009
    I don't play multiplayer so I'm only rating this game from the single player story mode. I thought the pacing was great and the story was okay. You're definitely strung along and left with more questions about Marcus Fenix's past. Dom's story gave a more personal touch to the story which I liked. The action is pretty much the same as the first game (which is aI don't play multiplayer so I'm only rating this game from the single player story mode. I thought the pacing was great and the story was okay. You're definitely strung along and left with more questions about Marcus Fenix's past. Dom's story gave a more personal touch to the story which I liked. The action is pretty much the same as the first game (which is a good thing). The final boss battle is not much of a battle at all; but this is a game that is great based on the sum of all its parts, not just one battle. Expand
  99. SeanH.
    Feb 5, 2009
    This game had absolutely everything that I was looking for. It was backed by an excellent story, it had some of the most graphic violence that I've seen in a game, and it has an amazing multiplayer. I would recommend this game to any of my friends, enemies not so much though since I don't want them having fun.
  100. JohnLamont
    Jan 17, 2009
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Though after one campaign experience I had enough. It was shorter than I expected, but considering the space of an 360 disc you can see why. Multiplayer is fantastic, more than anything that's what really strung my rating up to 9/10, all the different game types, and playing with a friend really makes it worthwhile. You can switch gore (blood) off ifI thoroughly enjoyed this game. Though after one campaign experience I had enough. It was shorter than I expected, but considering the space of an 360 disc you can see why. Multiplayer is fantastic, more than anything that's what really strung my rating up to 9/10, all the different game types, and playing with a friend really makes it worthwhile. You can switch gore (blood) off if you get a bit quezzy. Expand

1. There are very few ways that Gears of War 2 could be improved on. Only the story and the final boss in particular are a slight disappointment. Fanboys will love the fact that only one of a multitude of story arcs is concluded; everyone else will feel slightly unfulfilled. But aside from this, Gears 2 is not just the most exhilarating game you'll play this year, but possibly the most heady and downright shocking piece of entertainment full stop. Hollywood, your days are numbered. [Dec 2008, p.61]
  2. The real star, however, is Horde, a ballistic assault on your worst score-rush tendencies that transforms maps into Gears-flavoured Mutant Storm: weapons spawn, then a wave of enemies hits, then more weapons and then another, tougher, wave.
  3. 360 Gamer Magazine UK
    We could be critical of Gears of War 2 simply offering more of the same, but the fact that it simply does everything better than the original in delivering a fantastic display of shoot-’em-up mayhem its quality simply shines through. With some awesome level design, supported by unsurpassed visuals and relentlessly entertaining action it is a compelling experience from start to finish. Forget the crack at putting emotion into the storyline; it’s almost irrelevant as Gears of War 2 is an allguns- blazing extravaganza and, as such, it’s just a glorious shooter that very few can match.