Gears of War 2 Xbox 360

7.7

1. Mar 5, 2012
    This is another example of a sequel that surpasses its predecessor in almost every way, the story is better, the graphics are fantastic but show some age in one or two little places and has texture loading issues, and the sound is phenomenal, the controls and combat are as smooth as butter, the campaign is intense and epic always puts you in a new scenario, from fantastic cover basedThis is another example of a sequel that surpasses its predecessor in almost every way, the story is better, the graphics are fantastic but show some age in one or two little places and has texture loading issues, and the sound is phenomenal, the controls and combat are as smooth as butter, the campaign is intense and epic always puts you in a new scenario, from fantastic cover based shooting with some of the coolest weapons in video games, to awesome vehicle sections, and it offers one of the most epic, empowering, and rewarding moments in video game history, I don't want to spoil it, but I will say this it involves a Brumak, there are still a small community playing online, but with Gears of War 3 out there you might as well go to that for your multiplayer, but it is still fun to play, and even without the thriving community the campaign alone makes it worth a purchase, so if you liked the first game this one is better in almost every way, you will not be disappointed. Expand
  2. Jun 25, 2013
    It might not be as exceptionally memorable as its predecessor, but Epic Games's follow-up still delivers all the action, characters, and violence that gamers warmly embrace.
  3. Nov 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gears of War 2 is even more thrilling than the 1st Gears of War. Probably the funniest and coolest part of the game is when the main characters go inside the giant rock worm and take it down by cutting its hearts out. Expand
  4. Dec 27, 2015
    They have taken the second rennovation of Gears of Wars and was also very exciting, and captivating play for many hours to stay with square eyes glued to the screen.
  5. May 27, 2012
    Not as groundbreaking as the first game, but still an awesome game and a fun ride.
  6. Sep 28, 2011
    Campaign is deep, controls are done right and the action is hardcore and brutal. Insane difficulty is as it should be. It's good that it makes it harder for co-op because if one person dies you have to restart the checkpoint. The only problem with this game is the multiplayer. While it is satisfying, I rarely got into a match that wasn't laggy. And I don't mean slightly. I mean a full 3Campaign is deep, controls are done right and the action is hardcore and brutal. Insane difficulty is as it should be. It's good that it makes it harder for co-op because if one person dies you have to restart the checkpoint. The only problem with this game is the multiplayer. While it is satisfying, I rarely got into a match that wasn't laggy. And I don't mean slightly. I mean a full 3 mins behind where the game actually freezes. To add further frustration, the ranking system got updated so I ended up losing my rank from level 21 to level 1 again. There's also no free-for-all or game mode where you respawn. Horde mode is what makes this game great. Expand
  7. Oct 27, 2016
    One thing is certain, Gears of War 2, managed to surpass its predecessor with great mastery. The plot has improved, became more dramatic, leading even to breathe in '' The Lord of the Rings '' (There are certain scenes from the games with some similarities to films) Your gameplay became more insane, the action is more frantic than ever and very surreal. Gears 2, back light improvements ofOne thing is certain, Gears of War 2, managed to surpass its predecessor with great mastery. The plot has improved, became more dramatic, leading even to breathe in '' The Lord of the Rings '' (There are certain scenes from the games with some similarities to films) Your gameplay became more insane, the action is more frantic than ever and very surreal. Gears 2, back light improvements of all that was in the first, and offers us more a great high-level action game. Expand
  8. Jul 15, 2011
    I loved it , not blown away by the typical standard's , i most say is an exaggeration by all any means, which is what i a hated . The story is good and is interesting, and the visuals are beautiful and well made. The multiplayer is what i found cool, quite challenging. Looking forward too Gears of War 3, that may be the monster.
  9. Apr 8, 2016
    This is very very good game . One of best actions on Xbox 360 and very interesting game . This is exclusive game for Xbox 360 and this game one of best Xbox 360 exclusives . Normal graphics , awesome gameplay , amazing storyline . Very good game . 9/10 .
  10. Nov 15, 2011
    Improved multiplayer and visuals definently get a thumbs up from me. However the campaign is shorter and the story is far too recycled from the previous game, Ends exactly the same as well.
  11. Mar 8, 2013
    Six months after the Lightmass bombing and humanity is still fighting for control of Sera against the Locust Horde. Though close to defeat the Locust have a secret weapon, one that is sinking the last bastions of humanity one by one. It is up to Marcus, Dom, Cole Baird to reunite as Delta Squad to go deep into the underground Locust cities to find this weapon and destroy it, so thatSix months after the Lightmass bombing and humanity is still fighting for control of Sera against the Locust Horde. Though close to defeat the Locust have a secret weapon, one that is sinking the last bastions of humanity one by one. It is up to Marcus, Dom, Cole Baird to reunite as Delta Squad to go deep into the underground Locust cities to find this weapon and destroy it, so that humanity can be one step closer to being at peace on Sera once again.
    Gears of war 2 takes all of the great gameplay that makes Gears, Gears. However the story is no-where near as strong as last time round and the level design for the Locust cities are just ugly and horrible. GoW2 is still one of the best exclusives for the 360, but its not as good as its predecessor.
  12. Feb 12, 2017
    The sequel to one of the most popular new IP of the console was obviously very expected, did they improve the formula or just re hash the same game ?

Technically Epic continued to push forward the boundaries of the 360 hardware with astonishing visuals for the time, it runs flawlessly and impress you as soon as they got a chance. The art direction is more varied than the first game and some of the boss are very inspired.

Concerning the gameplay the TPS formula is better executed and the game will offer a great variety of situations so that you'll never fall in some routine. The cinematic realisation is also a great "Waho" factor that will rhythm your playthrough in the most positive way. The only bad thing is that even in the hardest difficulty the game is not challenging.

The story is way more detailed than in the first game which is very good, I finally care about Marcus and the gang they stopped being just random badasses (for the most part), the global story is also more incentive and now I do care about winning the fight against the locust, and also I want to have the answers to some questions raised by this opus. The game is still predictable but still huge improvement in this section. Shamefully the campaign is still way too short (5-6 hours) and it's not with the very rare online activity that you will find today that you may prolonged the experience.

In conclusion Gears of War 2 is better in every department than the first game, the predictable story and very short length are the only things in the way of perfection, still for the handful of $/€ it cost today it would be an error to not play it if you like the action genre.
  13. Sep 10, 2015
    After playing through and completing the campaign I am absolutely stunned. The games looks beautiful and play beautifully too. The story offered more than thought and blew me away. Some bugs are still appearing but that doesn't hinder the fact that it is one of the bext games out on Xbox 360. Multiplayer is enhanced although needs ironing out in places. Stupid amounts of fun can be hadAfter playing through and completing the campaign I am absolutely stunned. The games looks beautiful and play beautifully too. The story offered more than thought and blew me away. Some bugs are still appearing but that doesn't hinder the fact that it is one of the bext games out on Xbox 360. Multiplayer is enhanced although needs ironing out in places. Stupid amounts of fun can be had with mates and Horde is another stunning co-op inventive feature. A superb game, any fans of shooters, good MP games or gore should get this. Expand
  14. Apr 1, 2013
    I'm not so sure if it tops the first one, maybe they're neck and neck, but it doesn't matter because it is fun. Everything that got your dick hard in the first game is back.
  15. Jun 13, 2011
    Much more of everything you could want.Story,action,awesome sauce.Could not be much better though I missed the Berserkers from the original.360 owners must have this!
  16. Sep 2, 2011
    For me, Gears of War 2 is quite simply one of the greatest sequels ever to grace a console. Gears of War was a breakthrough game that encapsulated so many, however the improvement made in Gears 2 is phenominal. This game really does eclipse the original in every way. To begin with the gameplay is so much more enhanced and plays much more smoother than its predecessor. For example theFor me, Gears of War 2 is quite simply one of the greatest sequels ever to grace a console. Gears of War was a breakthrough game that encapsulated so many, however the improvement made in Gears 2 is phenominal. This game really does eclipse the original in every way. To begin with the gameplay is so much more enhanced and plays much more smoother than its predecessor. For example the shooting system just seems to be perfectly presented. Zooming is hardly revolutionary but I thought it was a marvellous addition to the game. Ofcourse there are new weapons which adds more to the game and as expected they are awesome. And, surprise surprise there is also new creatures within the Locus Horde.The story has been criticisized by many but I didn't have a problem with it whatsoever, yes it times it's hard to follow and here and there but its simply about an all out attack on the Locust Horde with a few side stories thrown in to spice things up now and again. But the things I found fault with in the original, however few they were I just felt had been addressed in every way i'd wanted. And whatever mas missing from the first outing is not in Gears 2! It just oozes quality from start to finish and once more you will find yourself engulfed in destorying the Horde. Theres plenty of variety on offer shooting, driving, hell even controlling the Locust Horde's own inventions one in particular at the end is awesome fun! Visually its a massive improvement on Gears 1 and takes it up another level, but you know what your getting the looks aren't everything when it comes to this seriesOnline, well what more can I say other than try it. Because when you do, you might just be sacrificng hours on end, it draws you in and you will seriously struggle to let go its incredible! All in all this is an unmissable expereince. It dwarfs the original in every way possible. All I can say is buy this game (if you haven't already ofcourse) Expand
  17. Nov 1, 2011
    Single player: The single player campaign is the main reason why I love Gears of War. I spent most of my time on the game, playing the campaign. The story is great and the controls are pretty good. I feel like the campaign was just long enough as well. With it on it's easiest level, it's EXTREMELY easy and hard is just hard enough to still enjoy the game Multiplayer: I enjoyed multiplayerSingle player: The single player campaign is the main reason why I love Gears of War. I spent most of my time on the game, playing the campaign. The story is great and the controls are pretty good. I feel like the campaign was just long enough as well. With it on it's easiest level, it's EXTREMELY easy and hard is just hard enough to still enjoy the game Multiplayer: I enjoyed multiplayer but I wasn't good at it. I was very impatient and that hurt me. You have to be good at aiming from your hip a lot. It's solid gameplay, but it just wasn't my thing. It also was really broken. It was hard to get into matches and had MANY glitches. Expand
  18. Jan 6, 2012
    It's awesome and feels awesome. Lame dialogue and story though. Very bad. 8 for multiplayer, 6 for singleplayer. I don't particularly like how some of the guns handle, and my favourite mode is definitely execution.
  19. Dec 10, 2014
    More guns, more gore, what else could someone want? The story is also great and has some emotional moments that almost made me tear up.

Verdict:
    A great game with emotional moments
  20. May 24, 2015
    I'm not sure why this game has a lower user score than the original, except maybe because it's not the original. I personally enjoyed this game more. I bought it when it was on a digital sale six months after playing the first GoW game. At first, I felt like the campaign was the same old thing but it quickly got better. Not only are there more guns (and more guns=more fun) but the sale ofI'm not sure why this game has a lower user score than the original, except maybe because it's not the original. I personally enjoyed this game more. I bought it when it was on a digital sale six months after playing the first GoW game. At first, I felt like the campaign was the same old thing but it quickly got better. Not only are there more guns (and more guns=more fun) but the sale of battles can get pretty immense. You'll ride on the back of massive locust creatures and gun down dozens of enemies. You'll rain mortars down on your foes. You'll travel to a hellish city udnderground. On top of the epic campaign is the multiplayer which is just as good as last time, but again not the reason to buy this game. GoW2 features an all-new co-op mode (it was all-new, I mean), which adds to the fun! I'd give GoW an 8.0/10 and I'd give this great sequel an 8.5/10. And one last comment: the story is better this time around, with more reason to care about the characters. Expand
  21. May 29, 2013
    This is a sequel that every Gears fan should play from start to finish! The campaign is great, especially with co-op and the MP is fun! Gears of War 2, in my opinion, is the best in the series!
  22. Jun 20, 2017
    Gears of War 2 took everything that made the first game good and improved on it in almost every way, but there is some caveats to be shown that hold it back from greatness. The first improvement is a better campaign with a story that is far better told even though it doesn't answer questions that I think it should explain in order to not have books and comics fill those gaps. The emotionalGears of War 2 took everything that made the first game good and improved on it in almost every way, but there is some caveats to be shown that hold it back from greatness. The first improvement is a better campaign with a story that is far better told even though it doesn't answer questions that I think it should explain in order to not have books and comics fill those gaps. The emotional moment of Dominic and his wife Maria is still one of the most powerful moments in the series and I do generally love (and cry) when he shoots her out of mercy. The moment to moment events (like the giant worm to the razorhail rain) are improved to provide variety and challenge that isn't complex, but still interesting that it's more grounded than say Uncharted with the way it uses puzzles. The new enemies on top of old and the addition of new executions make the experience far better than previously and it feels so good to decapitate a Locust grunt still with the Torque Bow.

The multiplayer improves initially but then becomes almost disastrous after the last patches went in. It uses the same setup of modes and mechanics like the campaign (just with a choice now to equip one of the two main assault rifles). The game uses P2P but the connection (prior to the major patches) were stable and better than the first game. Unfortunately, just like the first game did, the major sweep of patches over certain guns not only change the multiplayer, but also the entire experience in every other avenue of the game. It becomes very inconsistent and the toxic nature of players reached a new low, turning off potential players for the series. To some, it was still the best multiplayer of the series. For me, it was no different than the first with a bigger sin of allowing bots in the matches and have absurd amounts of accuracy and network glitching that sometimes made them more powerful than decent players, ruining matches if a person lagged out or left for the bot to take their place.

Horde mode is a cool concept but very half-baked on execution (which would be fully realized by 3). You go through 50 waves of enemies and use whatever you scavenge to survive each wave as enemies increase in numbers and modifiers. Scale that with difficulty and the need for team members to contribute becomes a main prerogative. Unfortunately, it makes enemies far too strong in later waves and can cause frustration when players wipe and come back in without the weapons they scavenge to survive.

Despite the issues, Gears 2 still proved to be a better game to come out of Gears and it's what truly set it on the map for greatness. If the sequel could improve on it even more, than there's no doubt it will be solidified as a great game. And that is what happens for Gears of War 3.
  23. May 30, 2013
    A wonderful followup to an already great game. The campaign is still awesome and draws me in every time. They added Horde which allows you to fight against wave after wave of Locust infantry alone or with 4 of your bro's. Multiplayer is once again not user friendly, but is very enjoyable. Gears 2 is worth your money and will bring you a great many hours of fun.
  24. Feb 15, 2012
    This game is great the story mode is amazing and hoard mode is a great addition and playing multiplayer is fun. Multiplayer may be fun but its also the worst part about the game while fighting people online is awesome about 60% of the time you will be lagging due to the lack of dedicated servers. While you move slower in this compared to gears of war 1 the cover system works a lot betterThis game is great the story mode is amazing and hoard mode is a great addition and playing multiplayer is fun. Multiplayer may be fun but its also the worst part about the game while fighting people online is awesome about 60% of the time you will be lagging due to the lack of dedicated servers. While you move slower in this compared to gears of war 1 the cover system works a lot better in this one, letting you traverse obstacles at a fast pace. If you can get past the laggy online then you will have a blast with this game Expand
  25. May 31, 2011
    What can i say,even better than the already perfect Gears of War 1! With many aspects,tightned up even more,such as the cover system.& Graphics seem even more detailed,thanks to the newer Unreal Engine,& a much more interesting story,with more emotion with the characters.Also more suprises with the types of creatures your going to take on.Would've been nice if they made it 3 or 4 playerWhat can i say,even better than the already perfect Gears of War 1! With many aspects,tightned up even more,such as the cover system.& Graphics seem even more detailed,thanks to the newer Unreal Engine,& a much more interesting story,with more emotion with the characters.Also more suprises with the types of creatures your going to take on.Would've been nice if they made it 3 or 4 player Co-Op in the campaign,but at least it still has Co-Op,which i'm always grateful for,& Gears 3 is going to have 5 player Co-Op(Yes 5)!,to make up for it,so the trilogy is looking to go out well.Also,for number 2,it was good to see that they introduced the option to fight against bots in multiplayer,& with other players against the bots,as i sometimes like to just play a multiplayer,but with out the stress of playing against the those people that play NOTHING BUT multiplayer,which just isnt fun.I cant comment on multiplayer on the whole though,as that aspect of the game doesnt interest me particually & i've hardly touched it.Lastly,this game is still a shining example to those lazy developers out there,who use the lame excuse that their game 'cant do' campaign Co-Op.& cant do it Split-Screen,or Split-Screen without borders.Well if Gears can,with its(lets face it)top end graphics,then ANY game can.Simple as that! Great game on the whole though! Expand
  26. Apr 11, 2016
  27. Sep 13, 2013
    For its gameplay, graphics, campaign, epic moments, further improvements with respect to the first, a great leap in the series undoubtedly, is a real gem.
  28. Oct 29, 2012
    Gears of War 2 is a fantastic game, with an epic campaign, incredible Horde co-op experience, and improved multiplayer; all in a package that promises to keep players entertained for dozens, if not hundreds of hours. Several issues keep the game from being all it could be, but it remains a worthy addition to any 360 owner's library.
  29. Apr 27, 2011
    9/10 = Amazing = A great shooter with fun, addictive gameplay. Excellent graphics, awesome campaign. Mulltiplayer needs a lot of work for Gears 3.
  30. Dec 4, 2011
    Gears of War 2 is a great and fun game to play that is bloodily satisfying. The game is great even if it has some flaws. The graphics of the game are impressive and the controls play out very well, much better than in the first game. The story is much better than than the first one's too. The multiplayer is a fun mode to play and you will want to play this for some time. The story is aGears of War 2 is a great and fun game to play that is bloodily satisfying. The game is great even if it has some flaws. The graphics of the game are impressive and the controls play out very well, much better than in the first game. The story is much better than than the first one's too. The multiplayer is a fun mode to play and you will want to play this for some time. The story is a great and more concise effort that is more logical and has some more emotion than than the first one, the intensity and emotion is well played out. The only flaws with the game are that voice acting could use some work, the graphics could use some cleaning up and the story could have less testoterone-filled dudebro dialogue. The multiplayer could get some tweaks too but the flaws are not that bad. Overall, GoW 2 is a great game that is fun to play that will entertain you for a while. A definitive better game than the second one. Breakdown for "Gears of War 2": Presentation: 9, Graphics: 9.5, Sound: 9, Playability: 9.5, Lasting Appeal: 9.3, Verdict: 9.4 out of 10 "Amazing". Expand
  31. Jun 3, 2013
    This is the game that started it all when it comes to horde mode. My friends and I spent countless hours playing it, seeing how long we could last. It was also innovative with its huge set pieces and interesting story. Everything was better than the first and set up a near-perfect series finale.
  32. Oct 20, 2010
    I knew I loved it from the first time I saw it. The graphics are stunning to say the least. The only reason people hate it is mostly because of the sometimes laggy multiplayer. My main problem with the game is those hyper gamers that act stupid for no reason. Obviously, it's a game and getting hyper over a game is idiotic and ignorant. This is a must-buy. That's why it won a lot of Game ofI knew I loved it from the first time I saw it. The graphics are stunning to say the least. The only reason people hate it is mostly because of the sometimes laggy multiplayer. My main problem with the game is those hyper gamers that act stupid for no reason. Obviously, it's a game and getting hyper over a game is idiotic and ignorant. This is a must-buy. That's why it won a lot of Game of the Year awards. Expand
  33. Jun 10, 2012
    Awesome action, new guns, better graphics, Brumak rodeo, more enemies. This is what every fan or lover of shooter games was expecting. But talking about animations (not the CGs), they could be more natural and less robotic, and your character could carry that Mulcher you were carrying in that scene, and not the Lancer...Just making my point.
  34. Jun 4, 2011
    The Campaign was brilliant and the high definition in it was immaculate. The Storyline was great as were the whole Graphics for the Game. The Insane Horde was beyond fantastic although it does get boring after you complete Wave 10 and it repeats itself by starting again but the Locusts are just much stronger. Online is slow but it is worth the wait. Multiplayer online is just as great asThe Campaign was brilliant and the high definition in it was immaculate. The Storyline was great as were the whole Graphics for the Game. The Insane Horde was beyond fantastic although it does get boring after you complete Wave 10 and it repeats itself by starting again but the Locusts are just much stronger. Online is slow but it is worth the wait. Multiplayer online is just as great as Multiplayer Campaign. Expand
  35. Feb 26, 2012
    Gears of War 2 is one of the best games I have ever played. This campaign is by far one of my favorites! The game looks great, plays great, and sounds great! The storyline is massive, and you feel like you are apart of a desperate D-DAY-like assault against an overwhelming foe. The tale of invading the Locust Hollows is a gritty, visceral, and intense. The expansion into the depth of theGears of War 2 is one of the best games I have ever played. This campaign is by far one of my favorites! The game looks great, plays great, and sounds great! The storyline is massive, and you feel like you are apart of a desperate D-DAY-like assault against an overwhelming foe. The tale of invading the Locust Hollows is a gritty, visceral, and intense. The expansion into the depth of the World of Gears of war was great. It was nice to explore Dom's character a bit more, and to finally understand the whole side story mentioned in Gears of War 1 act 2. This game is wildly addictive, and is extremely innovative. Great boss battles throughout the game, and there was nothing like hijacking the Brumack and laying waste to hordes of Locust in the last level. This game is one of the best war stories I have ever played. The suspense, mystery, and variety are totally cool! This game reminded me why I love this series. Way to go Epic!! Expand
  36. Apr 20, 2011
    Gears of War 2 is a great game. The campaign is fun, while the story is a bit naff, playing with a mate is a great experience and the fun you can get out of wiping out horde after horde of locust makes this one of my favourite games. Horde mode itself is brilliant, especially with mates and you achievement of surviving waves 1-50 is one of the highlights of my gaming career. Multi-playerGears of War 2 is a great game. The campaign is fun, while the story is a bit naff, playing with a mate is a great experience and the fun you can get out of wiping out horde after horde of locust makes this one of my favourite games. Horde mode itself is brilliant, especially with mates and you achievement of surviving waves 1-50 is one of the highlights of my gaming career. Multi-player is the only downside, I've never got to grips with it really but it can be fun in short doses, but be prepared to get slaughtered if you're not a hardcore player. Expand
  37. Apr 25, 2016
    I am playing through this game in 2016 for the first time and the campaign is a beast! Graphically, this game would have been amazing by 2008 standards, it still looks great today. It starts off pretty easy, but by Chapter 4 the difficulty is very respectable. Lots of variety in terms of place, enemies and strategy. There are multiple ways to kill your enemies, much more varied thanI am playing through this game in 2016 for the first time and the campaign is a beast! Graphically, this game would have been amazing by 2008 standards, it still looks great today. It starts off pretty easy, but by Chapter 4 the difficulty is very respectable. Lots of variety in terms of place, enemies and strategy. There are multiple ways to kill your enemies, much more varied than most modern shooters. Great story, characters and voice acting. My only knock is that I do not care for the multiplayer. Expand
  38. Aug 30, 2011
    Possibly one of the best reasons to own an Xbox 360. Gears of War 2 is easily my favorite console shooter. The multiplayer matchmaking has improved in almost every possible way, the co-op ended up being an awesome addition to the game also. The horde mode is good, it feels lacking though. The weapon arsenal is bad ass. The maps were as good as the maps in the original Gears of War, IPossibly one of the best reasons to own an Xbox 360. Gears of War 2 is easily my favorite console shooter. The multiplayer matchmaking has improved in almost every possible way, the co-op ended up being an awesome addition to the game also. The horde mode is good, it feels lacking though. The weapon arsenal is bad ass. The maps were as good as the maps in the original Gears of War, I didn't see much of a variation between the two. The only thing I could **** slap this game with is the story, it turned it into a dramatic soap opera, it didn't turn out well either; I definitely didn't hate it though. Expand
  39. Mar 6, 2012
    Thought it was the best and most fun of the series. Wasn't a fan of all the DLC or the cliffhanger out of nowhere ending. BUT had awesome levels, weapons, and a decent plot.
  40. Mar 24, 2016
    The highlight of the Gears of War series, GOW 2 picks up and improves on the first instalment of the franchise by adding in four-player co-op for you and 3 friends to play, but if you're going solo then there is a hugely enjoyable campaign with some ridiculous boss fights, and all the blood and gore of the original.

Though some aspects of the story may be forgotten or lost in the

Though some aspects of the story may be forgotten or lost in the shuffle, the main characters are once again some of the finest characters in video games, from the gritty realistic versions of Mario and Luigi in Marcus and Dom, to the unforgettable Cole Train and the sarcastic Baird. The addition and improvement of the multiplayer is also a welcome addition, and everything about Gears of War 2 shows off everything that gaming can do, in fantastic fashion.
  41. Jan 6, 2014
    in my opinion the best third person shooter on the x-box 360 even better then the other 3 games if you have not played this game yet pick it up great shooting action long campaign collectibles horde mode is quite fun also and the limited edition comes with the golden lancer witch looks awesome unlike the one from gears of war 3 the achievements will keep you coming back for morein my opinion the best third person shooter on the x-box 360 even better then the other 3 games if you have not played this game yet pick it up great shooting action long campaign collectibles horde mode is quite fun also and the limited edition comes with the golden lancer witch looks awesome unlike the one from gears of war 3 the achievements will keep you coming back for more so much replay value 1750G Expand
  42. Feb 23, 2016
    Just like with the Gears of war 1 and 3 . I have played through this campaign about 100 times and it is still not old , because its Gears of war . I will always love Gears of war for being Gears of war . Brilliant story line with some improvements over the already excellent predecessor . a Good idea to add bots to the muliplayer as this has pulled me to the mulitplayer side as well whereJust like with the Gears of war 1 and 3 . I have played through this campaign about 100 times and it is still not old , because its Gears of war . I will always love Gears of war for being Gears of war . Brilliant story line with some improvements over the already excellent predecessor . a Good idea to add bots to the muliplayer as this has pulled me to the mulitplayer side as well where with Gears 1 , I only played campaign . The horde mode is excellent but the ammo is scarce if you are more than 2 players as each map only has 2 ammo boxes that take forever to respawn . Nevertheless , this is a fantastic game Expand
  43. Jan 22, 2011
    This game is so much fun even after 2 or 3 years after he multiplayer is still super fun and the campain tells one of the best storys iv heard in a shooter
  44. Sep 18, 2011
    One of the best games of all time. Improves clearly in relation to Gears of War - chainsaw duels, refined multiplayer, meatshields. Multiplayer is awesome - Warzone, Execution, Annex, Guardian, Horde and the whole campaign (of about 10 hours) with a friend. It can't be compared to a book, but the history is well telled. Graphics are great - even more for a game of 2008. For me, Gears ofOne of the best games of all time. Improves clearly in relation to Gears of War - chainsaw duels, refined multiplayer, meatshields. Multiplayer is awesome - Warzone, Execution, Annex, Guardian, Horde and the whole campaign (of about 10 hours) with a friend. It can't be compared to a book, but the history is well telled. Graphics are great - even more for a game of 2008. For me, Gears of War is as big as Halo. I don't know why there are negative reviews - probably from Sony fanboys, but if you own an Xbox, you MUST buy this game. Expand
  45. Sep 6, 2010
    FAVORITE GAME EVER. ITS GEARS OF WAR 1 BUT BIGGER AND BETTER, the one thing that i ddnt like was the boss battles were 2d and more like a cutscene..jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
  46. Nov 25, 2010
    This is a worthy sequel to a great game. The single player has more action and explosions, though the story is still about a bunch of space marines being badasses. Who cares? The point is to shoot stuff, and in that approach, it's a great experience that has tight controls and rewarding combat. The multiplayer is well expanded and this is the first game that I can recall that uses theThis is a worthy sequel to a great game. The single player has more action and explosions, though the story is still about a bunch of space marines being badasses. Who cares? The point is to shoot stuff, and in that approach, it's a great experience that has tight controls and rewarding combat. The multiplayer is well expanded and this is the first game that I can recall that uses the "horde" system of cooperative play against waves of harder and harder enemies. I like this more than the actual multiplayer of the game, which is full of people who apparently play this game 24/7 and are so good it takes the fun out of trying to play. Expand
  47. May 15, 2015
    I was excited in every mission wondering what will happen next with an amazing soundtrack which just pumped me up but it was a disappointing ending, but a good squel!
  48. Apr 6, 2011
    Quite simply one of the best shooters ever seen on the market, an extensive campaign followed up by fun and lasting multiplayer. Epic has come a long way in developing games, they really broke the mold with this series. The controls are solid and stunning graphics and sound to go with it, there is a small frame rate collapse here and there but nothing game breaking at all. MultiplayerQuite simply one of the best shooters ever seen on the market, an extensive campaign followed up by fun and lasting multiplayer. Epic has come a long way in developing games, they really broke the mold with this series. The controls are solid and stunning graphics and sound to go with it, there is a small frame rate collapse here and there but nothing game breaking at all. Multiplayer at launch was a mess but they cleaned that up nicely with their updates, I think it covers a lot of bases with multiplayer for all player needs. This series will just get better as the new anticipated Gears 3 will soon be out, Epic has raised the bar once again with their new release. Its a really addicting game since there is an experience gain to level up and with tons of achievements to work for. Horde mode really helped this series out a lot and adding bots was a plus for players lacking internet that way they can still use the multiplayer content. I play this game almost everyday still, its replay value is grand and you simply cannot go wrong with this game its a must have for you collection. Expand
  49. Oct 30, 2010
    A great improvement on the original with more weapons, characters, maps, enemy types complimented with some improved graphics and sounds. Although the story and gameplay is pretty much the same the whole way through, it is great fun nonetheless although some might feel it lacks the awesomeness Gears of War 1 brought when it was released.
  50. Aug 3, 2013
    La accion, los personajes, la trama, la traduccion al español de 10, los mapas estan de poca, un juego muy completo, fallo en el componente multijugador online pero no es para bajarle calificacion, me brindo años de diversion..hominidos..se fue!! jajaja
  51. Jul 21, 2012
    Despite somewhat repetitve gameplay, multiplayer imbalance and other flaws, overall game is good. The game idea itself is really good. I'm really looking forward to Gears of War 3 and hope it will be better in terms of polish, stability and balance.
  52. Jan 20, 2014
    When I think of what I love about GoW... This is the game I think of. It took everything from Gears of War (1) and made it better. The single player is decent, but this game ought to be purchased for the multiplayer.. That is where it's real value lies. Expect frustration at first... The multiplayer is very difficult to a newcomer. Don't expect an experience anything like CoD. This game isWhen I think of what I love about GoW... This is the game I think of. It took everything from Gears of War (1) and made it better. The single player is decent, but this game ought to be purchased for the multiplayer.. That is where it's real value lies. Expect frustration at first... The multiplayer is very difficult to a newcomer. Don't expect an experience anything like CoD. This game is like the anti-CoD. When you die, you sit until the next round. You don't have an endless combination of guns, perks, or anything that could give a player a disproportionate advantage. This is a raw gaming experience that I only recommend to people that understand the quote "Everything worth doing is worth doing badly". The multiplayer experience is infinitely rewarding, but is not for the casual gamer (go back to CoD). Expand
  53. Jul 15, 2011
    So maybe it doesn't go farther away from the original but the gameplay is still great. The campaign story isn't as great or intense as the first's but the addition of multi-player is awesome if you wanna play online against your friends or by your self. If I could I'd give it a 9.5.
  54. Jan 9, 2013
    Gears of war 2 is one the longest and most massive campaigns I have ever played. There is just something about being in a large scale assault against flesh eating monsters with guns that brings out your need to kill in gruesome ways. The 8-10 hour long campaign never gives you time breathe as you shoot, explode, and saw your way through the Locust stronghold. The third person gameplay isGears of war 2 is one the longest and most massive campaigns I have ever played. There is just something about being in a large scale assault against flesh eating monsters with guns that brings out your need to kill in gruesome ways. The 8-10 hour long campaign never gives you time breathe as you shoot, explode, and saw your way through the Locust stronghold. The third person gameplay is fun with easy controls. Filled with returning Gears 1 characters and new bosses makes this game one of my favorites. Expand
  55. Mar 14, 2011
    Gears Of War 2 is bigger, and better than it's predecessor. It has taken all the elements from Gears Of War and improved on them. However, not much has changed from the first game, Epic Games has done little to tried and trusted formula, other than minor tweaks here and there. The gameplay, is very much the same. The cover system has been tightened, which makes taking cover behind objectsGears Of War 2 is bigger, and better than it's predecessor. It has taken all the elements from Gears Of War and improved on them. However, not much has changed from the first game, Epic Games has done little to tried and trusted formula, other than minor tweaks here and there. The gameplay, is very much the same. The cover system has been tightened, which makes taking cover behind objects more fluid and easier. The combat system is fantastic. The shooting is satisfying, and getting the Locust between your sights has never felt this good. Unsurprisingly, the game still encourages you to make use of the Lancer through the majority of the campaign. Making use of the chainsaw in firefights is a welcome break from the pop-and-shoot mechanic. The enemies from the first game return, with the exception of a few fresh faces to decimate. The graphics have also been improved upon, with exceptional shading, lighting, and character models. This is by far the best looking game on Xbox 360 for 2008. This game is not perfect, but it sure as hell gets close. The story, that drives the game, just like the predecessor, flatlines. It feels like the missions were created, and a story was filled in just to put the pieces of the puzzle together. With regards to the narrative, I don't care really. I still have to meet a person who played Gears Of War just for it's story. As you know, the story in the previous iteration was not one to pull at the emotional strings. This time however, Epic has attempted to introduce emotional elements in to the game, and has failed miserably. These scenes often come across as a joke, and we urge Epic Games to focus on the balls-out action rather than attempt to bring tears to our eyes. Nonetheless, Gears Of War 2 defines what an action game should be, combat is brutally entertaining and does not shy away from the extreme violence. If you are over eighteen, I suggest you go your nearest retailer and pick up Gears Of War 2. It has a lengthy ten hour campaign, an addictive multiplayer component along with co-op play. Simply put, it is worth every cent. Expand
  56. Jun 3, 2011
    Bueno este juego es lo mejor que ha salido en lo que va del xbox 360 por 3 simples razones.
    La primera es que la historia es muy buena y atrapa al jugador desde el incio.
    La segunda es que el gameplay es excelente y los botones se ajustan bien al juego. La tercera es el multijugador que aunque el principio fue malo ahora arreglado es muy bueno tambien. Comprenlo, rentenlo, pidanlo
    La primera es que la historia es muy buena y atrapa al jugador desde el incio.
    Comprenlo, rentenlo, pidanlo restado; Da igual pero jueguenlo ya.
  57. Nov 20, 2011
    The game may lack in areas, but still shines in many others. I found the campaign to be the best I've ever played in any shooters, and I've enjoyed the story very much so far. The overall gameplay is great, but the game's only yet big flaw is it's replay value. At the most, it offers campaign, competitive online, and horde. The game may not last long, but while you still have it, you areThe game may lack in areas, but still shines in many others. I found the campaign to be the best I've ever played in any shooters, and I've enjoyed the story very much so far. The overall gameplay is great, but the game's only yet big flaw is it's replay value. At the most, it offers campaign, competitive online, and horde. The game may not last long, but while you still have it, you are in for a wild ride. Expand
  58. Dec 12, 2011
    Graphics:5 stars

There ainâ
  59. Jan 26, 2012
    Now this is more like, because compared to Gears 1, the Gears of War 2 campaign is twice the length of Gears 1, and there's also an extra difficulty level. What I really like about this game is the innovation, with variety in gameplay. Even though Gears of War 1 was a great game, Gears of War 2 is an improvement. My only complaints I have are the absence of some enemies and weapons thatNow this is more like, because compared to Gears 1, the Gears of War 2 campaign is twice the length of Gears 1, and there's also an extra difficulty level. What I really like about this game is the innovation, with variety in gameplay. Even though Gears of War 1 was a great game, Gears of War 2 is an improvement. My only complaints I have are the absence of some enemies and weapons that were in Gears 1 (though replaced with others), the blood can look pink when fighting in daylight, and we barely know about Marcus' past. The characters also seem to say the same phrases that was recorded for Gears 1.

I like how when you shoot an enemy (or when you get shot) the blood splatters onto the environment, unlike Gears 1 where it showed blood coming out but never landed. The sound of the weapons is a huge improvement, the music is fantastic, and the graphics are brilliant. The longer campaign of Gears 2 is what other shooters should look at as an example, where the campaign mode of games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Halo 3 are just too damn short. The campaign mode for Gears of War 2 is perfect for people who don't have Xbox Live Gold.

The Horde Mode is a wonderful addition to the game, where you can play by yourself or with friends to take down wave after wave of Locust.
  60. Dec 6, 2013
    nfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffnfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffjnfjdsbfjkdfbdsjkfbjdbfjdbjbfjdbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb Expand
  61. Sep 9, 2013
    A very good sequel that changes and adds things in to make it feel like a fresh new experience, I recommend this game to anyone that owns an Xbox 360.
  62. Aug 2, 2015
    That's f**cking crane stage is totally broken. can't get pass it, even with all guides. And that useless Dom... whole act he is just sitting somewhere. So i'm going to watch the ending on youtube.
  63. May 11, 2011
    With the announcement of Gears 3 recently, I decided to return to the previous titles to give them a go in anticipation for the third. That should tell you that I'm a fan of Gears of War and pretty much have played them right from the beginning. Now, when I initially got Gears of War 2, I was majorly disappointed. The campaign was fantastic, yes but I really bought it for the killerWith the announcement of Gears 3 recently, I decided to return to the previous titles to give them a go in anticipation for the third. That should tell you that I'm a fan of Gears of War and pretty much have played them right from the beginning. Now, when I initially got Gears of War 2, I was majorly disappointed. The campaign was fantastic, yes but I really bought it for the killer multiplayer.
    Obviously, there were a host of problems right from launch date. Lag, not finding matches etc. But Epic clearly knows what it's doing and has resolved the problems from launch day over the past couple of years. Now the troublesome host advantage is barely noticeable and it's an extremely enjoyable online experience, complete with ranking system. I'm definitely looking forward to the third title and will play this till September 20th.
  64. Dec 2, 2015
    Much improved from Gears 1. Plays smoothly and the visuals look great for 360. The singleplayer is what you expect, gory exciting third person action with a simple plot, which is what Gears should be.

The multiplayer is some of the most fun I've ever played. It's essential you get a group of friends or communicate with your team to succeed online. Few games offer such strategy and deep thinking as well as high level of skill into it's online multiplayer. With only 1 life in each round, you really have to think and strategize with your team to determine how to control certain areas of the map, how to obtain power weapons, and who should defend what location, attack the enemy with what and from where.

Some of my best video gaming memories come from playing Gears 2 all night with my friends during the summer, and it's hard to find a game that offers this much satisfaction in multiplayer.
  65. Mar 4, 2011
    Gears of war 2 I like to play this game because you have to do mission on there and you have to zombies on there, if you kill them you can get there guns on there. They are different gum on there when you kill the monster. It is fun when you play when you play two players on there. You have to work in a team if one you die in the game the other person has to do most of the work on there.Gears of war 2 I like to play this game because you have to do mission on there and you have to zombies on there, if you kill them you can get there guns on there. They are different gum on there when you kill the monster. It is fun when you play when you play two players on there. You have to work in a team if one you die in the game the other person has to do most of the work on there. If your partner dies on there you have to do it again and you will not like. This game you can play online with this game I like play this game with my friends and cousins. With this game there is more shoot on there and there is more blood in this game I like shooting games. Most people like shooting games because there is more blood and different guns on all the games. It is better to play you mates or which people are on line on Xbox 360 or Ps3. it a great game to play. When do some a mission I will get hard and they are different levels on the they is easy hard and very hard . you can pick on of them three but the game will get hard Expand
  66. Apr 21, 2011
    This game is awesome. That isn't a very refined word but this is no refined experience. There are a great many games on the market today that offer the "I'm a big, testosterone spewing Space Marine....in Space, and all Aliens must be violently punished." sort of games. None do it quite as well as "Gears of War 2".

The setting is cliche but completely realized. It's a boys club of well

The setting is cliche but completely realized. It's a boys club of well designed gigantic characters in well designed war torn environments kicking ass in the name of humanity. The Weapons, vehicles and locales in the game all help to put you into the blockbuster mind-set and played through co-op the campaign offers a ton of variety and unique shoot out moments with touch perfect controls and great paving thoughout.

It's going to get a lot of flack for being stupid, and that is stupid. I definitely love a cerebral and innovative game experience. But sometimes I want to jump into my favorite sci-fi action movies and just blow some **** up. This satisfies that urge. If you're a shooter fan, well you're already playing this. If you think you're too good for; pull the bug out of your ass and join the fun.
  67. Mar 22, 2012
    I love Gears of War 2 this game is the **** Sure its multiplayer components were a bit tired after a year or two but this is definetly the game i have put in most hours to in count of multiplayer.
  68. Jun 13, 2011
    The game is nice in my opinion. Story plot is very nice and immerses you in. I don't understand why people would not enjoy slaughtering something a hundred times bigger than you, makes you look like a hero. The plot is very straightforwards but with a few side plots like Dom's wife Maria. Let's be honest we all want to know where the Locust come from but then we have Dom's wife who isThe game is nice in my opinion. Story plot is very nice and immerses you in. I don't understand why people would not enjoy slaughtering something a hundred times bigger than you, makes you look like a hero. The plot is very straightforwards but with a few side plots like Dom's wife Maria. Let's be honest we all want to know where the Locust come from but then we have Dom's wife who is just... she just didn't deserve the fate she had. If you understood how long Dom and Maria had been split from each other you'd understand why Dom is so determined to find her. Voice acting is also not too bad, with each actor making use of their talent to make a believable character, in a group there should be always two who hate each other, close friends and the one who's a newbie. Over all it's not a bad buy Expand
  69. Jun 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is like having your cake and eating it, too. From the very moment you're training the rook to the end game battle with the Lambent Brumak, the game is very rewarding. A rich story that doesn't interfere with the carnage, the optional gore and language filters that ensure even younger gamers can enjoy the game, and top it off with a variety of challenging enemies, the game is nearly perfect. However, the AI is quite stupid sometimes. A few times, as I was dying, my stupid AI partner, Dom, walked past me ten times at least, and never revived me, as was intended. Nevertheless, don't let that change the perspective of the game. This game is very good, and I recommend it to anyone who loves shooters and action games. Expand
  70. Sep 21, 2010
    I would have given this game a 9.5 if I could. I felt that Epic Games had succeded in yet another awesome game. The new horde mode is a great laugh. The online progression system is sweet and the maps are epic. Especially now they ave released the 'All Fronts Collection' (what an awesome deal). The online is deffinatlet better than the original. But the campaign however, seemed to lack theI would have given this game a 9.5 if I could. I felt that Epic Games had succeded in yet another awesome game. The new horde mode is a great laugh. The online progression system is sweet and the maps are epic. Especially now they ave released the 'All Fronts Collection' (what an awesome deal). The online is deffinatlet better than the original. But the campaign however, seemed to lack the 'feel' of gears of war 1. I miss the Kryl and Beserkers, I didn't feel scared in any way and the storyline just didn't seem quite as good as the previous and I still can't get my head around the fact that the lightmass bomb made the locust stronger? However that said the campaign did feel more epic with the large armies, and the updated technology meaning you can fit loads of enemeies on the screen. Skorge was definitely a better bad guy than RAAM and I was glad to see more of the lambant locust (except this time not just wretches). Overall, I'd say Gears of War 2 is a must have, it's an oustanding game both offline and online but the storyline just wasn't quite good enough for me. Expand
  71. Jan 10, 2014
    mejores graficos, mejor jugabilidad, mejor sonido y un mejor multijugador que el videojuego anterior un gears of war que demuestra su actual progreso en xbox 360 y el mejor gears of war
  72. Nov 24, 2016
    One of the best games on 360. Probably one of the main reasons I bought the console. The story is amazing, the visuals look beautiful to this day, the gameplay is addicting. Probably the best Gears game to date.
  73. chrisv
    Oct 5, 2009
    this game is quality. had to write in cos some of these user comments are totally way of the mark. ive played GOW and GOW2 twice right through both r great games but GOW2 takes it to the next level. its one of the best sequels out there. its a keeper as they say!
  74. takedat
    May 2, 2009
    The campaign is much better than Gears 1. The levels are more thought out and make you feel like you are actually in the environment. I would have gave it a 10 if the online play interface was better. Also, it would have been better to have a actual boss fight. Maybe in the next game. Overall, great game ... no doubt.
  75. DanielT.
    Nov 7, 2008
    Wow, what an amazing game. Where to start? First, the graphics are quite possibly the best of this gaming generation. The gameplay is just as you remembered, frantic and fun. Tons of violence and intense action equal an amazing experience. The online multiplayer really shines through. Add in the new Horde mode and you got a "Game of the Year" contender right here. Definitely worth your Wow, what an amazing game. Where to start? First, the graphics are quite possibly the best of this gaming generation. The gameplay is just as you remembered, frantic and fun. Tons of violence and intense action equal an amazing experience. The online multiplayer really shines through. Add in the new Horde mode and you got a "Game of the Year" contender right here. Definitely worth your hard earn money with tons of replay value. Well worth the wait and hype. Expand
  76. JodyC
    Nov 7, 2008
    Love midnight openings. Anyway, its heeeerrre...the sequel to one of if not THE most popular shooters on the Xbox 360. Gears of War 1 was fun, good looking, and easy to play...sporting a gameplay that was both challenging and easy in its execution. OF COURSE hype has been mounting for this game...and with good reason, we are told we are getting something bigger, more story-driven, and Love midnight openings. Anyway, its heeeerrre...the sequel to one of if not THE most popular shooters on the Xbox 360. Gears of War 1 was fun, good looking, and easy to play...sporting a gameplay that was both challenging and easy in its execution. OF COURSE hype has been mounting for this game...and with good reason, we are told we are getting something bigger, more story-driven, and better in every way...and for the most part it delivers. First, anyone expecting a big graphics upgrade will be dissapointed and while it does look a bit better than Gears 1 (which already looks incredible), the quality and scale / size feels the same even though they do a good job of tricking you into believing its a MUCH BIGGER, MUCH BETTER LOOKING game. Sound and Music are top-notch...the soundtrack is calm / tense depending on the situation and that creates a certain atmoshperic element to the game but the voice acting is a bit weaker this time around...its a little over-dramatic and eye-rolling at times (mostly the from Dom...Marcus's friend). The gameplay is basically the same with a few added moves and animations to make things appear more "fresh", but fans of Gears 1 will have no problems adapting its still a great "pick up and play" type game. Overall, Gears 2 is a step in the right direction...it is BIGGER, BETTER, and MORE BADASS than the original even if the "BIGGER" aspect feels more like an illusion...it still feels the same "size" as Gears 1 just busier things going on in the background. Anyway, the expanded story alone is what makes this game irresistable....as it was the ONLY thing missing from the first game...this Gears of War feels SO much more COMPLETE. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Expand
  77. JohnF.
    Nov 9, 2008
    Improving on every aspect that was lacking in Gears of War 1, GOW2 really delivers. More vivid colors, extravagant open less non-linear environments, a good variety of enemies, many new weapons, excellent multiplayer options including fighting waves of locusts, a story that keeps you interested, amazing details everywhere you look - don't miss one of the most stunning technically and Improving on every aspect that was lacking in Gears of War 1, GOW2 really delivers. More vivid colors, extravagant open less non-linear environments, a good variety of enemies, many new weapons, excellent multiplayer options including fighting waves of locusts, a story that keeps you interested, amazing details everywhere you look - don't miss one of the most stunning technically and artistic games ever developed! Expand
  78. AnonymousMC
    Sep 7, 2009
    Overall it's a fun game. It has good graphics and the two player campaign it great even though it is a short. I cannot see how some people are giving this game a 0. It has its problems but all games do. Even though the multiplayer deathmatch mode is lacking it makes up for it in the story mode. I had fun playing it, and I think it is a good game.
  79. Alec
    Nov 10, 2008
    overall a great game, if a bit over hyped. the game play is solid (albeit simplistic), the campaign is gripping (aside from parts that are too soap opera-ish for my tastes), and horde mode is just fantastic. the only downer is the versus multiplayer, which is disappointing on several levels. the match making system takes way too long (2+ minutes to find a game?), the way you chose game overall a great game, if a bit over hyped. the game play is solid (albeit simplistic), the campaign is gripping (aside from parts that are too soap opera-ish for my tastes), and horde mode is just fantastic. the only downer is the versus multiplayer, which is disappointing on several levels. the match making system takes way too long (2+ minutes to find a game?), the way you chose game modes is frustrating, and weapon imbalances are annoying. if i want to play the submission game type, why do i have to join a queue for "territories" and hope that it is voted for by the other players over annex or king of the hill? that method of finding games may make sense for halo 3 because it has so many game types, but i really think that epic should have gone the route of COD matchmaking, including the ability for new players to drop in/drop out of games. god knows there are enough people playing this game for this to work. luckily this game has horde mode to keep me coming back, but who knows for how long. cod 5 comes out soon, with its zombie coop mode, and not long after is left 4 dead. Expand
  80. GrahamM.
    Nov 22, 2008
    I AM RETARDED HAHAHA I TOTALLY DID NOT KNOW YOU CAN SKIP CUT SCENES BY SIMPLY PRESSING THE BACK BUTTON BECAUSE MY IQ IS LOWER THEN MOST LEGALLY RETARDED PEOPLES

I ALSO DID NOT KNOW THIS GAME HAD A VERY POOR RATING DUE TO FAN BOY WARS GIVING NEGATIVE REVIEWS TO A GAME PS3 OWNERS NEVER PLAYED FEEL THE FURY OF THE CAPS LOCK!! it's not all in caps now right? edit some caps out

FEEL THE FURY OF THE CAPS LOCK!!

it's not all in caps now right? edit some caps out if you'd like
  81. StephenM.
    Nov 7, 2008
    An excellent game in my opinion- playing through the campaign on Hardcore and couldn't be more pleased with the cooperative experience. The multiplayer is absolutely perfect, pretty much fixing every problem the first Gears had, and then some. Definitely worth the money.
  82. JohnC.
    Nov 8, 2008
    Visuals are great, as you would expect, but not an impressive change. But the enhancements can still be noticed. Multi-player maps seem more refined, with better layouts that really cater to the 5v5. Execution, I think, is still the best mode.
  83. ChrisR.
    Jan 5, 2009
    I was scepticle of this game, I liked ,borderline ,loved the 1st one, but i thought the only reason this game would get any attension is simply fan boys loving the 1st one so much. But it really does meet up to expectations. The Story is absolutly immersive by comparison to most games trying to pull off the same nonsence as this game. Giving Dom a personal story touch was a great call. TheI was scepticle of this game, I liked ,borderline ,loved the 1st one, but i thought the only reason this game would get any attension is simply fan boys loving the 1st one so much. But it really does meet up to expectations. The Story is absolutly immersive by comparison to most games trying to pull off the same nonsence as this game. Giving Dom a personal story touch was a great call. The Combat, basically being the same feels more refined, more effort put into. I still say that the game wouldnt be fun by comparison to co-op then just by yourself. I noticed the sound has improved alot aswell. I do recommend this game. But I wouldnt recommend playing it alone, there geniouenly is not much fun in that. Expand
  84. AlexS.
    Jan 6, 2009
    Me and Gears of War 1 did not fit well together i completely despised that game to no end and its a wonder i got this 1 but im sure glad i did all my friends were getting it so i said hey might as well i got nothing to lose so i go out and spend $60 and im so glad i did i even went back and played gears 1 and they fixed everything and i will say that matchmaking in Gears 1 is okay and its Me and Gears of War 1 did not fit well together i completely despised that game to no end and its a wonder i got this 1 but im sure glad i did all my friends were getting it so i said hey might as well i got nothing to lose so i go out and spend $60 and im so glad i did i even went back and played gears 1 and they fixed everything and i will say that matchmaking in Gears 1 is okay and its Okay in Gears 2 i like them both i dont mind it and unlike gears 1 you got to set up your team or youd join a match and miss half your team because they went to Cog but not in Gears 2 the only slightly annoying thing in Gears 2 is the chainsaw.. but once you get good with the shotgun and know how to roll aorund a lil bit more the worries are gone you may still get hit by it but not nearly as much. Oh and peoplle say the Shotgun in gears 2 is crap. NO its not this just requires more skill to use instead of blindfire in front of you and you win its a lot better and i like what they did with it they made it more like a real shotgun instead of a Jesus shotgun that 1 hit kills everyhting. Id say the only bad thing about Gears 2 is that 90% of Shotgunners get there kills from nothing but 2 piecing and all i got to say to that is NO your not good for doing it. For example my friend Kilin 2-pieces all day he gets me sometimes but 80% of the time i blast him before he can get to me and he always loses to me when he doesnt 2-piece its not using the shotgun really your just pressing B + RT and then you move on no you suck for doing it. And Meleeing in this 1 is a little different some weapons melee a lot harder then others and some barely hit you at all at first i was confused a lot because id get 1 hitted when i only have 1 pistol shot damage on but once you learn that you dont get mad as much. Oh and moving around in this game is awesome it saves lives and its funny to get downed by someone and crawl away from them and they search forever and cant find you then you just come up and blast them. Oh and the last thing i cant stress enough about gears 2 DONT PLAY WITH YOUR KILLS!!! Ive had my whole team die and it was just me vs 3 people they downed me and let me get back up (with the intention of donwing me again) and when i got up i rolled away dodged there bullets and 1 of them was still on me i had the torque out charged it for like 2 seconds turned around and blasted him with it and then the other 2 came at me with shotguns luckily there noobs and try to 2 piece and just got raped because i move and blast you once you melee. Expand
  85. DesO
    Feb 25, 2009
    The single player is pretty good (and only get better in co-op). It's epic in scope as well as gameplay and the story, while not the strongest out there, is entertaining in an action movie kind of way. The gameplay is more weighted than the first gears and the cover system works much better. The multiplayer is good but the matchmaking can be fun-suckingly slow. this is compensated by The single player is pretty good (and only get better in co-op). It's epic in scope as well as gameplay and the story, while not the strongest out there, is entertaining in an action movie kind of way. The gameplay is more weighted than the first gears and the cover system works much better. The multiplayer is good but the matchmaking can be fun-suckingly slow. this is compensated by the fact that you can host a game with a few friends and fill the remaining slots with bots, or you can try to hold out against wave after wave of locust in horde mode. The graphics are a more refined than the first gears and thus significantly better. Overall a pretty solid package and well worth it's weight in gold. Expand
  86. Sablicious...
    Jun 26, 2009
    Gears Of War 2 is just an awesome video game, and the best shooter around. The storyline is pretty mean, and the suicide by Tai really added to the effect of how badly they were torturing people. The Multiplayer is epic as, and the masses upon masses of unnessescary gore is just legendary. The horde part of the game I believe is the most fun, and the inclusion of 5 maps from the first Gears Of War 2 is just an awesome video game, and the best shooter around. The storyline is pretty mean, and the suicide by Tai really added to the effect of how badly they were torturing people. The Multiplayer is epic as, and the masses upon masses of unnessescary gore is just legendary. The horde part of the game I believe is the most fun, and the inclusion of 5 maps from the first game is mean as. Great game! Expand
  87. Matt
    Aug 2, 2009
    It makes me sad to see people that cannot recognize an epic game when they see one. Most of the people that rate low are Halo addicts that can't stand to realize just how amazing this game is. In my opinion, it is the only true next gen game I have ever played. Shooters don't have to be about charging enemies and shooting wildly and completely unrealistically. This is the way It makes me sad to see people that cannot recognize an epic game when they see one. Most of the people that rate low are Halo addicts that can't stand to realize just how amazing this game is. In my opinion, it is the only true next gen game I have ever played. Shooters don't have to be about charging enemies and shooting wildly and completely unrealistically. This is the way real war is done. Expand
  88. MaverickP
    Feb 23, 2010
    The game [CS1.6] truly is a legandary game on its own, supassing countless games in the highs and lows and still to this day maintaining high popularitie and continueing to grow more and more. this is byfar the BEST fps game i have played. for it era and time when developed, the graphics, gameplay and overall design is AWESOME....this is one game to be proud of no doubt if you enjoy a The game [CS1.6] truly is a legandary game on its own, supassing countless games in the highs and lows and still to this day maintaining high popularitie and continueing to grow more and more. this is byfar the BEST fps game i have played. for it era and time when developed, the graphics, gameplay and overall design is AWESOME....this is one game to be proud of no doubt if you enjoy a true fps game this is it....need i say more..buy it get it enjoy it !!!! -Maverick user since 1998 Expand
  89. HenryL.
    Nov 10, 2008
    Gears of War 2 is frieken awesome, the graphics are flawless, the action is incredible, its everything and more than the first one was, and if you played the first one then you know how amazing it was.
  90. PaulB.
    Nov 12, 2008
    A more cinematic feel than the last game is accompanied by stunning visuals, and more varied locations than previously. Gameplay wise, I rarely got the feeling of imminent death as in GOW1, but thats mainly because you a re taking the fight to the locust. If you don't give a hoot about atmosphere or cutscenes, than theres always muiltiplayer - which is everything it should have been A more cinematic feel than the last game is accompanied by stunning visuals, and more varied locations than previously. Gameplay wise, I rarely got the feeling of imminent death as in GOW1, but thats mainly because you a re taking the fight to the locust. If you don't give a hoot about atmosphere or cutscenes, than theres always muiltiplayer - which is everything it should have been last time round. 5 players a side, loads of maps, respawns (in some games) and the co-operative horde mode - which shoud slate your thirst for intense combat, if the campaign has failed to do so. Also HORDE is about the most HORDE fun I've had HORDE on xbox HORDE live, and if you've HORDE never fancied joining this HORDE service this could be HORDE the game that HORDE changes your HORDE mind. LOad up some HORDE bots and give it a go HORDE you'll be x-box living it HORDE before you know it. You may have guessed i quite like HORDE. Expand
  91. JamesM.
    Nov 10, 2008
    Love this game, it's so much fun. The single player is challanging on Hardcore mode and I am about 2/3'rd through it. Get's frustrating at some points but then when you manage to get passed a certain area or kill off a 'boss' that sense of 'hell yeah! i did it!' kicks in and you love the game more. The reason for the point drop is the multiplayer is a Love this game, it's so much fun. The single player is challanging on Hardcore mode and I am about 2/3'rd through it. Get's frustrating at some points but then when you manage to get passed a certain area or kill off a 'boss' that sense of 'hell yeah! i did it!' kicks in and you love the game more. The reason for the point drop is the multiplayer is a bit of a let down but not as much as some people make out. yes the shotgun has changed etc.. and it's not gears1, if it was, that would be a bad evolution of the game. Why not just play gears1 if you want to own with the shotgun? This is a new game and new rules. get revving and let the blood flow through those metal teeth! anyone for toast? Expand
  92. GavinB.
    Nov 10, 2008
    Excellent. Simply put, one of the most amazing 'balls to the wall' action game. There were so many sphincter tightening moments in this game, it's hard to believe it actually surpasses the original in terms of wow factor. Highest of recommendations.
  93. SteveR.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Don't take any notice of the Sony fanboy votes that have somehow forced the rating for this great game down to 6.7, this is a top rated game. The story is more engaging that the first installment, the graphics and environments are more varied and interesting and the all important gameplay is up there with the best of them. Also, the addition of the Horde multiplayer game mode is a Don't take any notice of the Sony fanboy votes that have somehow forced the rating for this great game down to 6.7, this is a top rated game. The story is more engaging that the first installment, the graphics and environments are more varied and interesting and the all important gameplay is up there with the best of them. Also, the addition of the Horde multiplayer game mode is a masterstroke; at last, you can game with your mates without running the risk of pre-pubescent morons shouting, swearing singing or screaming in the background. Excellent and highly recommended to anyone who likes shooters. Expand
  94. ValC.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Gears of war 2 completely captures the brilliance of the first game and actually moves it forward. With its new ideas and provocative levels, GOW2 is destined to become one of the greatest games xbox has seen in a long, long, time.
  95. JimmyP
    Nov 17, 2008
    Expands on the original in graphics, gameplay and storyline in significant ways. Graphics are most obviously a very strong point as the vistas are emmense the added color is pleasure to behold in the older maps and gives them added dimension and realism. Gameplay has been tweeked to put more weapons on a more equal playing field. Not to mention the new weapons! Storyline as with almost Expands on the original in graphics, gameplay and storyline in significant ways. Graphics are most obviously a very strong point as the vistas are emmense the added color is pleasure to behold in the older maps and gives them added dimension and realism. Gameplay has been tweeked to put more weapons on a more equal playing field. Not to mention the new weapons! Storyline as with almost all games could have been deeper but still is engrossing! AND did I mention HORDE! Great game and looking forward to DL content. Expand
  96. MikeyW.
    Nov 18, 2008
    Awesomeness. This game is pretty good. The boss battles are not as epic, but there's more stuff to it, like a longer vehicle sequence, a wide range of new weapons and enemies to kill and much more insight into the story. The only thing missing are epic boss battles and the hammer of dawn.
  97. Wayloski
    Nov 19, 2008
    Gears 2 is definately worth people's time and money. When I first picked it up at the midnight release, I couldn't wait to get home and get online, only to sit in the match making for close to 20 minutes before it found a game for me. Very dissappointing. But since then, it seems they ironed out the problems, and I can now get in a game pretty easily. Online MP is very well Gears 2 is definately worth people's time and money. When I first picked it up at the midnight release, I couldn't wait to get home and get online, only to sit in the match making for close to 20 minutes before it found a game for me. Very dissappointing. But since then, it seems they ironed out the problems, and I can now get in a game pretty easily. Online MP is very well done. Very strategic with the inclusion of using grenades as proxy mines. Not to mention you can set up shields in the ground to make yourself a nice little fort to hold down. Horde mode has to be one of the best coop experiences in recent memory. You really have to work together to survive, especially after round 10. Single player is a very engaging experience. I thought the story in Gears 1 was great. Short, simple, and to the point, so I was really blown away by this game. Cliffy B and the gang did an awesome job fleshing out the overall story. Almost shed a tear for one of the characters at one point! :( There is also a variety of gameplay in the single player besides the old "shoot anything that moves" mentality. The game also gives you a good challenge on just hte Hardcore setting, can't wait to start it again on Insane! Boss battles are very well done and a welcome addition to the Gears games. Games the perfect package of single and multiplayer. Definate 10/10. What are you waiting for, run out and buy it! See you online COGs! Expand
  98. CalebL
    Nov 19, 2008
    Gears 2 takes what was great in the first and adds a plethora of content and gameplay modes that will more than satisfy any fan of Gears 1. And Graham M, try hitting the "back" button. It lets you skip the cutscenes as well as the headset communications.
  99. BrendanS
    Nov 24, 2008
    Really like the first; they didn't reinvent the wheel here; just made it shinier and a bit more solid. Matchmaking is broken at the moment and the communities' collective fingers are crossed for a quick fix soon. Otherwise, a visceral, cinematic experience that is truly impressive to behold.
  100. DemothH.
    Nov 25, 2008
    This game was AWESOME, and far better than the first. I am almost a total fan-boy for this game because of the fixes for multiplayer. I still have my gripes, however, that caused me to not give this a 10. The weapons online can sometimes be horribly inconsistent. Some days all the weapons seem to work as they should and I'll get kills and get killed and there are no problems. Other This game was AWESOME, and far better than the first. I am almost a total fan-boy for this game because of the fixes for multiplayer. I still have my gripes, however, that caused me to not give this a 10. The weapons online can sometimes be horribly inconsistent. Some days all the weapons seem to work as they should and I'll get kills and get killed and there are no problems. Other times I will unload 3 shotgun shells into someone, point blank, then melee them and then I get chainsawed. I've also been on the receiving end of BS when someone sits in my face for 3 seconds with a chainsaw and then I roll away and down them in one non-active reload shot with the shotgun. I've even been hin the legs with a boomshot and lived.... wtf? BS goes both ways sometimes, and when the game decides to have inconsistent weapons then the game becomes no fun. The matchmaking can also be spotty, sometimes taking 10 minutes to find a game, and other times assigning you to a game where everyone is experiencing crippling lag. When the game does decide to work, however, the game is second to none. I just wish the game actually was consistent. Expand

1. There are very few ways that Gears of War 2 could be improved on. Only the story and the final boss in particular are a slight disappointment. Fanboys will love the fact that only one of a multitude of story arcs is concluded; everyone else will feel slightly unfulfilled. But aside from this, Gears 2 is not just the most exhilarating game you'll play this year, but possibly the most heady and downright shocking piece of entertainment full stop. Hollywood, your days are numbered. [Dec 2008, p.61]
  2. The real star, however, is Horde, a ballistic assault on your worst score-rush tendencies that transforms maps into Gears-flavoured Mutant Storm: weapons spawn, then a wave of enemies hits, then more weapons and then another, tougher, wave.
  3. 360 Gamer Magazine UK
    We could be critical of Gears of War 2 simply offering more of the same, but the fact that it simply does everything better than the original in delivering a fantastic display of shoot-’em-up mayhem its quality simply shines through. With some awesome level design, supported by unsurpassed visuals and relentlessly entertaining action it is a compelling experience from start to finish. Forget the crack at putting emotion into the storyline; it’s almost irrelevant as Gears of War 2 is an allguns- blazing extravaganza and, as such, it’s just a glorious shooter that very few can match.