5.3

1. Sep 18, 2014
    This is a fun game. It's a nice change of pace from the previous Gears of War games and as much as I love the series this one stands out a bit different then the other games. If you like the other Gears games I highly recommend this to you.
  2. Sep 15, 2014
    Okay, where to begin. Let's start with the severely flawed gameplay features. First of all, no down-but-not-out. Now, when you're riddled with bullets, you're just dead 9 times out of 10, depending on the circumstances. In Overrun, for instance, you're dead, but can be revived by a medic with "stim grenades", (which to me is kind of ridiculous, just because it feels ridiculous, but that's beside the point) which doesn't make me feel any better about not having DBNO. Next, unless things have changed a good bit since the last time I played multiplayer, you can't grenade tag walls to set traps. I personally enjoyed this feature, as it was a fun way to add some strategy to the game. I also hate that you can't have two primary weapons and a pistol, just two weapons. These weapons can be any weapons mind you, so the developers have apparently decided that your snub pistol is as equally valuable as your gnasher is, which essentially renders the pistols in the game obsolete. I mean who in their right mind is dropping their lancer or hammerburst for a snub or boltok, unless they're showing off of course. I also disliked the reworking of the controls. Now this part may be a bit nit-picky, but the control scheme feels too generic now, like Call of Duty or Battlefield instead of Gears. It just feels wrong to play for veterans of the series. Which brings us to another disappointment to veterans. Remember how much you loved horde and beast mode? Well they're gone. But you've heard about overrun, right? Their shiny, new successor? Yeah. It falls way short of expectations. It's all kinds of fun, don't get me wrong, but it's no horde. And survival was just a disappointing, stripped down mode in general. And as if the lack of modes wasn't bad enough, the multiplayer is made laughable by humans fighting humans. So now if you want to play versus, it's red Marcus versus blue Marcus. If you want to play as a Locust, move along to overrun. On top of that, the sheer shortage of even human characters to play as was severely disappointing after the previous game's copious offerings. And then there's the addition of "character skins". Look, if people want to play CoD and shell out their hard earned cash for useless DLC, be my guest, but I've thought the idea of weapon skins in Gears was ridiculous since 3, and the addition of skins for your character such as "bee", "bacon", "candy cane", and "clown" is in direct contrast to how gritty and brutal Gears feels and is supposed to feel. The lack of active reloading could be overlooked, but I feel like the game is missing a staple action each time I reload now. Oh. And one more fun fact. Vets. Remember how in Gears 1 you could melee somebody, then blow them apart with a shotgun because it took you absolutely no time to recover? Well that's back! Thank goodness that never got old and abused! Now on to the positive aspects. I liked how fluid the movement felt, and how you could jump from high ledges now. It just felt really cool. What little multiplayer there is feels fun to play if you can ignore the fact that you just blew your own character's head off while he was dressed up in what looked like a Halloween outfit. The story itself, while unnecessary since we kind of knew the general details, was really fun, and I liked the addition of "bonus missions", so to speak, to reveal more details about what happened. The extra challenge was always welcome. I also liked how the focus was set on Baird and Cole, even though I sorta missed seeing Marcus and Dom, the series's staple protagonists. In short, this game isn't all bad. It's a big let-down to me as a veteran of the series, but as a starting point, I could see how it might not be awful. That said, it's worth playing if you're a hardcore fan of the series for the story alone if you can get it without paying too much. Just try to ignore how awkward and limited things feel at first and you might get used to it. Here's hoping that the next title in the series feels less like a stripped down Gears game trying to imitate Call of Duty and more like the bonafide, gritty, entrancing series we all know and love. Expand
  3. Aug 11, 2014
    I really liked the first 3 gears of war games, but this one seemed like a cheap cash grab. The mechanics and gameplay is similar to the others, so in that aspect it's okay, but it seems dull as far as the story, and the fact it's the whole game plays like a survivor mode rather than a story driven game the first three were. move from one area, kill a few waves, move to another kill a few waves. A definite step back from the others. Expand
  4. Aug 1, 2014
    the campaign is poor because the story is not that good and disappointing .. AND MULTIPLAYER is good but not great .. gears 3 is better and gears 1 is alot better then all of the series
  5. Jul 31, 2014
    this game messed up the the series how do u take baird and marcus and have them arrested ive played it sucks campiagn there was not even characthers from 3 microsoft should had never bought gears of war they ruined it they should had left it with ubisoft and epic games and whos the new commander that dude just poped in and punched baired when he was saluting him i mean they took out so much from versus dont get me wrong i love gears of war but jugement ruined it Expand
  6. Jul 30, 2014
    This is by far the most disappointing entry in the Gears of War franchise. Why they decided to make this is beyond my question, but when you change nearly everything from game play to the heart and tone of the classics, that just shows that this is a cheap cash grab, for people that adore the crappy CoD games and have no idea what Gears of War is about to buy or squeeze a little bit more money from it's adored predecessors. There are a few nice things in it though, like playing as Baird. Story wise, this was average at best, but multiplayer and combat was BUTCHERED! Instead of keeping the beautiful combat system like in 2, they have to dumb it down for idiots to understand. STOP IT! This game, is pointless, with a boring story, with no soul like the classics, and while the graphics might be the best in the series, graphics don't count in my opinion. This is a 3 at best, and they should have stopped at number 2. Expand
  7. Jul 8, 2014
    Gears of War: Judgement is not a game to be dismissed as bad. In fact, it has the same level of polish and good gameplay of previous games. I also like some of the changes, such as the addition of the Declassified segments. The game, however, feels way to similar to prior games, which may upset many.
  8. Jun 23, 2014
    Day One Return to gamespot. I was extremely disappointed in this game. The Co-op has all but been removed, everyone gets grenades at the start? When did this game turn into a poorly-made 3rd person Call of Duty? The risk of picking up weapons is non-existent, the locust are gone in exchange for a customization option? Really? I Hope Black Tusk can fix it up in the sequel.
  9. May 19, 2014
    A failure of an extension to the GoW universe. They tried balancing out the weapons and mechanics but ultimately failed. A mixed stance on the balancing act is the Gnasher. It was nerfed to punish the community for relying too much on it. Instead of playing the game in the way it was originally intended to be, the community ruined the games itself. They kicked back the active reload since most people would drain their first clip in the beginning of the match so they could active reload for the buffs and weapon load-out is limited to two weapons along with grenades.
    There are only 4 agreeable changes among the countless others. They shelved executions and the D.B.N.O system (which speed up matches and respawning but the game loses it's violent grandeur because of the exclusions.) Teamwork and tactics are virtually nonexistent.
    Another tough subject is sensitivity. In most games, sensitivity increases the speed of button input recognition. That's not the case in GoW. Sensitivity directly impacts the speed your character moves at and performs actions with. The defaults make you an unwieldy tank but ratchet it up, and you're a blur of hulking muscle. With high sensitivity, you can quickscope like it's frickin' CoD. It 's an overpowered hidden mechanic that matches generally hinge on.
    I could care less about the story since you have General Not-RAAM running around on a flying Corpser. The new (or should I say old? This is a prequel after all.) don't change the pace that much. Muliplayer is like watered-downed vodka. Sure, it's easier to swallow but you feel like you're missing something. Just rent it.
  10. May 8, 2014
    This is a truly fantastic instalment that managed to meet my high expectations. Taking all the elements that made GOW3 great and pushing it even further. The levels are just stunning and some of the best Iooking yet seen in GOW. There's loads of room for different tactics and experimentation and good variety in the mission structures. I liked the star system alot, as it made coming back to the game very compelling in an old school 'gotta get a perfect score' way. People Can Fly have demonstrated they were the right studio to work alongside Epic. Expand
  11. Apr 8, 2014
    Tengo que decir que es el peor GoW, cambian muchas cosas, por ejemplo los comandos, la mecanica del juego y de llevar un arma principal, eso si el juego tal parece que ha sido desarrollado para ser mas arcade, viendo los movimientos de los personajes, lo compre por su modo multijugador y ni de eso se salva. Un GoW debil con respecto a sus antecesores.
  12. Jan 25, 2014
    As a gears of war love this is the worst piece of **** I have ever played. Nothing but a **** cash grab. Would give a -1 score if possible............
  13. Jan 21, 2014
    This game is a huge disappointment, but it's not a crime against humanity like most Gears of War fans seem to believe. It has it's highs and lows, and when it does something well, it's sure to amaze. On the other side of the spectrum, there are sadly a lot of bad things to this game as well, and these will surely be a major deterrent.

Let's start with the bad. The game does not have a
    traditional campaign mode like we Gears fans have come to expect/treasure, and it's also pitifully/mercifully short. The new characters are terrible and poorly fleshed out, and Baird and Cole share absolutely no banter. During firefights, you're squad does not shout anything or joke around like they used to. Also, the multiplayer is downright pitiful, a disgrace to the Gears of War franchise, with only 4 maps, and it's all human v. human. That being said, the new survival mode is a welcome addition, but this mode also replaces the much beloved Horde Mode, which was a major selling point in the series.

Now for the good. This game has stellar graphics, some of the best we've seen on the Xbox 360. Also, the A.I. is amazing and this game provides some of the best gameplay in the series. Also, the second campaign, Aftermath, is a fresh, fantastic, and welcome addition.

But that being said, this game is overall a mediocre experience, lacking the heart that drove the rest of the series forward into glory.
  14. Jan 4, 2014
    I played the entire game you play as Baird from the last gears of war games you also get to play as cole and 2 new characters. The story is not as good as the last 3 games the story mode is about 8 hours. I played the full game in one sit down. The story don't drag you in like the previous 3 installments. The game has multiplayer but them taking the locust out of the multiplayer tool all the fun out and also how you can only have 2 guns but that dose not mean you'll still have fun in the multiplayer it's still fun but if you played the MP on the past 3 games you'll have to learn Judgment multiplayer. If you don't have Xbox Live you can play Multiplayer bots which is still very fun. It has a sorta bland story the MP is not as fun as before but it's still a very fun game i i give it a 8/10 Expand
  15. Dec 13, 2013
    This game is obviously the best gears released so far. I do not think the single player is anything special but for gears I never have, but I can play the multiplayer for hours at a time. This is simply one of my favorite games and if the single player kept my attention it would have got a 10
  16. Nov 25, 2013
    This is my opinion of judgement. I'm a gears fan (rank 400 in GOW3). I have been playing judgement since day 1 and I think that it is the best game in the series overall. below is a list of pros (how its better then past gears and cons (how its worst)
    Pros:
    1. Graphics are by far the best in the series
    2. Characters can now can equip skins (over 100+ character and skin combinations
    without d.l.c)
    3. Declassified missions are now available in campaign
    4. Weapon balance is by far the best in the series
    5. Bigger better and much more detailed maps despite the limited number (5 versus and 5 overunn counting DREADNOUGHT and HAVEN)
    6. Fun new weapons each adding a new twist to gears gameplay
    7. Gears gameplay is still the same at its core (you don't die in 2 shots like in C.O.D)
    8. Some of the best d.l.c available in gears history (in my opinion)
    9. Execution is available through an update
    10. Overunn and survival make up for lack of horde
    11. It's only 20$ new at gamestop now
    Cons:
    1. Both the developer and the majority of fans have given up on this game in many respects (it is still playable online and finding a match is easy enough)
    2. Lack of familiar game modes such as warzone and capture the leader
    3. Less characters (no carmines)
    4. The games few problems will most likely never be patched (most of these issues are opinion based and weapon balance is still really great)
    5. Less interesting story (but aftermath feels like gears 3)
    6. Gears has never had the nicest fanbase (lots of t-bagging and taunters but most games have those issues)
    7. Slightly confusing weapon customazation sawed-off can only be used with lancer, stim gas grenades are only available in free for all, the booshka can not be selected in any modes but overunn/survival but can still be customized with a weapon skin)
    As far as pros and cons that's all I could think of at time of writing overall despite the generally negative reviews by FANS judgement is quite polished (rarely lags with good connection) and well designed and since its only around 20$ its a worth while buy. Also most of the bigger problems that plagued the game at launch have been fixed the biggest current problem is lack of players (usually only around 1000 online at any given time).
  17. Nov 19, 2013
    I would go into a novel of a review like I did with Halo 4 but this game doesn't even deserve that much. Do not buy this game and if you have then use it to go towards a trade in for a game that really cares about its core players. If you like Horde then don't bother with it. Many are already disappointed by this game and I am as well. This game is just Epic trying to earn extra bucks for a popular series.
    Don't get me wrong I really love all gears of war games, but this one is garbage.
    The story sucks. And so does the MP.

This game does not deserve the title "gears of war" it more deserves to be called "The adventures of Baird and friends".

I wasted alot of time on this game that I'm never going to get back. Thanks for selling the fans a game that should've been a DLC for the first gears and the Aftermath story to be a DLC for Gears 3.

Way to come out with a Leaky Garbage Xbox Exclusive before the Next Gen Consoles arrive Epic!
  18. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Nice lighting, good character models, detailed looking environments, but minor anti-aliasing. 9.5.

Sound: Voice acting is good, traditional gears themes, traditional gun sounds. No issues with sound. 10.

Gameplay: The single player is broken down into sections with some mechanics feeling similar to a horde mode. The gameplay mechanics are similar to previous gears
    games although the controls have been revamped. The new controls feel great, and the multiplayer feels faster paced. The VS mode is familiar with previous gears but with some tweaks. New game modes such as Overrun and Free for all are new to the gears series, and are actually a lot of fun. The game also adds an aftermath mode to the game’s campaign which feels more like traditional gears rather than the judgment campaign. Even with the judgment campaign feeling like sections after section the game is actually challenging. Probably the most challenging single player in any gears game. There are new declassified modes in the judgment campaign that make it the most challenging. Fans are disappointed this time around because there’s no horde mode although there’s a survival mode, but while it is a fresh take, it’s not as revolutionary as horde mode was. 9.0

Story: The judgment campaign is a prequel in the gears series, and is told through testimonies from each character. The aftermath campaign takes place during gears 3 and is actually a good bonus. The story telling isn’t any amazing, but it’s just plain simple. No good plot twist, just a story progressing forward, with a seeable ending. 7.5.

Replay Value: Tons of modes, definitely another gears game with replay value. The single player is short, but there’s a bonus aftermath mode, the multiplayer is never ending. Still, there’s not enough maps for modes like Overrun, or Versus, Epic made a bad decision, but future DLC packs will add more. 9.0.

Overall Score: 9 out of 10.
  19. Nov 11, 2013
    I've played Gears of War since its original release day in 2006. I'm a big fan of the series and its high octane gore filled action. Gears Judgement is a solid entry in the franchise albeit a little underwhelming. The changes to the control scheme are well done and fit right in with the Gears series. The entire time i played this game i never felt for a second like i wasnt playing a Gears of War game so i'll say People Can Fly did a fantastic job with keeping the feel and action on par with the rest of the series. However id say this is the weakest game in the series. Its story just feels half baked and tacked on some how even though its supposed to be a big part of the game. I did like the challenges with each mission but i didnt like the constant stopping and grading the game did. I like being able to see what kinds of kills i got such as a head shot or a grenade kill but i dont like the constant stop and play cycle that goes along with the campaign's structure. All in the all i enjoyed the story it was pretty good but seemed very short and disjointed. The iconic characters return to much success and are just as strong and awesome as always with some good new additions. The multiplayer is very much Gears and is as solid as ever with every offering you could imagine. The MP has evolved a little bit but not much has changed but just enough to keep it fresh. The graphics are as always high standard and the controls are as tight as can be. The gameplay and action never cease to amaze but with the constant slow downs from transitions in the singleplayer i found it to be a little less exciting as the original trilogy. The co-op options and multiplayer options are filled to the brim and with new unlockables and customization options i have a hard time finding a lot of complain about. But all in all this is just another gears game. Its well done but its definatly the weakest Gears. That being said its still worth a buy, maybe at a discounted price but certainly worth the time and money. 8/10 Expand
  20. Oct 18, 2013
    Gears of war Judgement is a good game. but its very medicre compared with the original trilogy
    I mean,Gears of war trilogy has an excelent story and deep characters
    judgement is very dry
  21. Sep 1, 2013
    We all know gears players aren't here for the story, but gears has Epic has always delivered on that front by some chance. This game delivers on no fronts. The story is bland at best. There is one boss battle and it was literally the worst one in video game history. All you have to do is strafe around and occasionally take cover( Even on Insane). They junked horde and added Overrun. Overrun is been broken since the demo/beta and has no appeal. The sad part is you can still play the Demo too. Survival is overrun, but your CoG? Why not just give us Horde? Multiplayer was the reason a majority of people bought this game, and it was terrible. There is only 4 maps for it, that doesn't get boring soon does it? The DLC was OK. Gears of War 3 is better in every single aspect of the Game. Why do you think Cliffy B and Rod left Epic huh? This game isn't worth the box it sits in collecting dust. Expand
  22. Sep 1, 2013
    Gears of War: Judgement tells the story of Baird and his team, as they are tried for acts of treason against the COG. Judgement's campaign hardly tells a story worth paying any attention to. Instead the campaign throws different combat scenarios at you telling how Kilo squad made it through the fight. If you decide not the do these scenarios, then I would suggest not playing the campaign because they are the soul reason it is worth playing. The game play has been improved, it is smoother and faster. Team deathmatch and other modes returns to judgement and all are fine. But the new modes free-for-all and overrun modes are definitely good additions. After you complete the campaign a new mode unlocks called Aftermath which is from Gears of War 3. You play as Baird, and it feels more like Gears of War 3 with all of the refinements of Judgement. Gears of War: Judgement feels like it was rushed out so there was one more Gears game out this generation. It has a lot of good things from the series but the things it tries to do new, fall short. Expand
  23. Aug 26, 2013
    Disappointed isn't the word! I have been a massive gears fan since day 1 and gears 1 was a huge contributing factor towards why I bought my 360. I saw the adverts and Press releases for judgement and I was excited about the New addition to the franchise, Oh how wrong I was!
    Everything that was good about gears has gone! DBNO, Active Reloads, Grenade tagging, meat shields, executions,
    unable to play as locusts, Clutching in multiplayer......... Need I go on? And instead they have added some terrible features that I honestly can't understand how anyone could like. Stim gas WTF! Jumping off buildings WTF! First to 50 in TDM WTF! Again need I go on? It's terrible just terrible. If you are a real die hard gears fan avoid this game like the plague. It's Crap! 4/10 coz the multiplayer is average and has a slight resemblance to gears of war. :0( Expand
  24. Aug 19, 2013
    This game doesn't even deserve 1 star,it sucks period. It's so primitive and takes away all the nostalgic feel and elements of the gears trilogy. You'll leave after playing this game more frustrated than happy,it has no fun factor,it's terrible. Even if this game was free,I'd take it just to burn it...people can fly needs to be fired,and epic needs to get their together if they want to ever get themselves out of this ditch. .they should of left gears alone after 3,scrapped judgment and worked on a gears for the XBox One..they failed,miserably. Expand
  25. Aug 19, 2013
    I am a big fan of the Gears games. I enjoyed all of them, until now. There is no emotion in this game, it's just a series of short battles. It seems like a cheap arcade version of GOW 2. This game is crap compared to GOW 2 and 3. Graphics have not improved, almost seem like they took less time with some enemy artwork. Sound is the same. It gets a 5 because it's still a good game and better than a lot of crap out there. You can't get worse with sequels, you have to improve, and this is a big letdown to long time fans. Expand
  26. Aug 18, 2013
    I loved GoW 1, thought GoW 2 was ok and I did not like GoW 3 at all. I actually thought this game was pretty fun. There was nothing new but the game looked really polished and the story was pretty decent. The game is really short 6-8hrs. So I would not recommend buying but this game is a solid rent that could be beaten over a weekend.
  27. Aug 4, 2013
    this is easily the most disappointing i have been in a game this year. everything that was great about gears of war 3 which was most things were missing in judgement. lets start the campaign the game had the potential to expand the characters of baird and cole and also explore the initial stages of the locust attack and the brutality that came with it. The story falls short in every way and often feels forced. it is really short as there is really nothing going on through the whole story. the addition of the challenges are interesting but not capitalized upon and there is nothing really interesting ever going on with the campaign. it is the only gears of war campaign i have not played twice. don't get me started on the ending as well. possibly the worst villain in videogames never any emotion and im not even sure that there is a line of dialogue from this forgettable character.

as for the multiplayer overrun is fantastic and easily the best mode available in this game. it is deep and satisfying with lots of options and interesting maps and specialties available from each class of character.

regular multiplayer on the other hand is a joke 4 maps. really. after about an hour you have already played every map and also the fact that many of the mechanics that made gears multiplayer so unique have been removed.

and the final nail in the coffin for this game was the removal of horde mode. i feel like this game took a lot of risks yet many of them were not justified and it seems as if this series may now struggle to redeem itself. i still love the how the shooting feels in the campaign and the cover to cover system as been tweaked for the better. The game looks stunning and many of the environments are great to look at but that doesn't make a great game.
  28. Aug 4, 2013
    When you take a franchise like Gears and you make a worse game than your original (Bulletstorm), then you know it's bound to receive worse ratings than it would.

Gears: Judgment is pretty similar to the other GoW, God of War: Ascension. Both prequels, both with kind of a spin-off story, holding up to their predecessors technically and not doing a damn thing to improve that aspect and
    both as enjoyable as the franchise standard offer. Besides that a couple of cool ideas/weapons/enemies and that's it.

Prequel loss for ideas
    Nonetheless, the story and storytelling to be exact isnt that bad. The idea of the aftermath might have been for a dlc, but all in all it's not bad at all. What's bad is that the campaign has become a non-explorative level/battle to level/battle. And all of this arcade style. I wouldn't mind if they did that on another mode, trying to simplify the levels to match an arcade feeling, but the campaign is hollow now. It's worse than the excellent Gears 3, but stil a quite enjoyable shooter (that lasts only half of the other Gears games durations).

Play Gears 3 again or some other excellent shooter unless you are a hardcore-wannadieforGears fan. Even then, Marcus isn't home...
  29. Aug 3, 2013
    this game is a disgrace to gears of war and is basicly a retarded version of halo I hate the gears of war series because it is a copycat of halo and resident evil
  30. Aug 3, 2013
    Campaign: Awful storyline, awful gameplay and awful tone throughout. I have no idea why people like the campaign. The campaign is just Horde mode- wtf. Gears of war 1 and 2 had the best campaigns. I think the only reason why people like the campaign is because it is fun when playing with friends because it requires more teamwork (Its horde mode) and is more competitive because you now earn points and you want to beat your friends.
    Multiplayer: Couldn't even tell that its gears. They've taken out down but not out (No reviving or executions) which was the trademark of gears. No active reloads, no symmetrical maps, no locust. They've taken everything that belonged to gears and replaced it with COD features. Everyone gets a grenade to start with- its a bloody grenade frenzy. Teamwork is not needed anymore and that to me was what made the game gears of war.

1. May 9, 2013
    It's Gears 3, minus pacing and ambition. It's still fantastically enjoyable, but it's easily the least interesting Gears game. [June 2013, p.64]
  2. May 7, 2013
    Judgment shows that the People Can Fly team knows its way around triple-A titles. They managed to squeeze a lot out of Unreal Engine 3 – the game looks great even compared to Crysis 3, which set new standards in terms of visuals, also on consoles. And when the technology restrained them, they creatively found a way around limitations. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.60]
  3. Apr 21, 2013
    Judgment feels a bit like an excuse to provide the Xbox 360 with one last first-party game for what is likely to be its final year as Microsoft’s flagship game platform.