5.5

1. Jun 21, 2017
    If Gears of War 3 was the rising mountain of the Gears franchise (with the previous two providing the stepping stones), Judgment quite literally falls off the mountainside and soaks in such mediocrity that it floors me on why it even exists. It's truly difficult to say whether not Gears of War Judgment was really worth even making. Sure the prequel idea is cool, but the execution isIf Gears of War 3 was the rising mountain of the Gears franchise (with the previous two providing the stepping stones), Judgment quite literally falls off the mountainside and soaks in such mediocrity that it floors me on why it even exists. It's truly difficult to say whether not Gears of War Judgment was really worth even making. Sure the prequel idea is cool, but the execution is extremely sloppy. The story is a recount of testimonies that each squad member gives in the form of missions that make the overall story. In the end, it ultimately doesn't lead to anything and disintegrates after the fight with the final boss. The missions themselves are so widely varied on quality that it pains me to think that this was okay after coming off with a great sequence of events in Gears 3. The Declassified modifiers can be challenging to outright suicidal, creating mild to absurd levels of frustrations at every point. The new enemies and weapons are interesting, but create a time paradox of how the previous guns and enemies even showed up in this (for instance the Kantus were never shown until 2, they stayed underground as priests to keep the shrines in check, so seeing them in J was very confusing). Make it even more a pain with the Aftermath chapter, and just so happening to have those same enemies (claimed to be have killed and NEVER shown in 3) really hurts the overall universe of Gears.

The scrapping and downgrade of Horde shocked me. Survival is a barebones 10 wave mode that feels incredibly lazy and does even worse than Gears 2 Horde (of all things) with no real sense of accomplishment. Overrun is the mix of Horde and Beast, but the experience isn't as satisfying then those modes individually. They complement themselves awkwardly, with cooldowns on COG forces instead of ammo packs and traditional Hordeitemsthat make the game play as this weird MOBA-like that feels so conflicting in a Gears game. The main competitive multiplayer even shoots itself in the foot with COG vs COG matches (what?)....how was this even consider a good idea considering Gears multiplayer was always COG vs Locust for the last 3 games?! It makes no sense and adding that with microtransactions with overpriced stuff, it just saps the goodness out of this game so much that it turns grey and lifeless.

Gears of War Judgement was a massive disappointment and upset for me on every level. It is still hard to debate whether a mediocre score is even being too charitable, but ultimately the combat still felt good and intense to kill stuff onscreen. It was so forgettable and such a letdown for me that I felt bad that the Gears franchise essentially shotgunned its own face off and possibly laid dead instead of sticking to 3 and having a good final hurrah.
  2. Mar 4, 2017
    So far i played in Judgement and couple years ago a moment in first Gears of war on Pc . And first different what i found that Judgement is little arcade/fun. I played campaign with my friend, and was awesome, it wasn't hard - just pure fun. But annying part in this game is level design. But for us was a moment for taking a breathe. My friend Paulina still sucks thumb, we are admiredSo far i played in Judgement and couple years ago a moment in first Gears of war on Pc . And first different what i found that Judgement is little arcade/fun. I played campaign with my friend, and was awesome, it wasn't hard - just pure fun. But annying part in this game is level design. But for us was a moment for taking a breathe. My friend Paulina still sucks thumb, we are admired beatiful graphics,view, sculptures,architecture. Its amazing that its on xbox 360. I give 8 because co-op game is very nice, and for mini quest where you can increase emotions by taking a additional challenge as smaller amount ammo or more opponents etc. and that why because i love story where character talks about the past in the form of flashback. Expand
  3. Aug 16, 2016
    Gears of War: Judgment is a 2013 military science fiction third-person shooter video game, developed by Epic Games with additional work by People Can Fly and published by Microsoft.

+ Fun Gameplay

- Bad Characters
    - Repetitive
    - Boring Multiplayer Modes, boring Waves and Challenges
  5. Mar 17, 2016
    Coming from Gears 3 I felt like this was a horrible reversal of all the things that made Gears great. So then I stopped seeing this as a Gears game and pretended it was a sequel to Dark Sector, and it suddenly was much more bearable. Too much COD corruption has ruined the pvp, however the Horde Mode 2.0 was the best yet. Tower defense meets beast mode, definitely the ONLY reason to playComing from Gears 3 I felt like this was a horrible reversal of all the things that made Gears great. So then I stopped seeing this as a Gears game and pretended it was a sequel to Dark Sector, and it suddenly was much more bearable. Too much COD corruption has ruined the pvp, however the Horde Mode 2.0 was the best yet. Tower defense meets beast mode, definitely the ONLY reason to play this game. Hope to see it return in Gears 4. Expand
  6. Jun 23, 2015
    Gears of War: Judgment is a prime example of changing way too many aspects of the game to make it more appealing even if the original aspects were fine on their own. "Star" bonuses that you get if you play the game in a certain way during the campaign which get amplified if you accept 'declassified' objectives that tie in exactly to enemy encounters, the absolute castration of theGears of War: Judgment is a prime example of changing way too many aspects of the game to make it more appealing even if the original aspects were fine on their own. "Star" bonuses that you get if you play the game in a certain way during the campaign which get amplified if you accept 'declassified' objectives that tie in exactly to enemy encounters, the absolute castration of the hammerburst, the exploitation of using the boomshield with every weapon, 'customization crates', and many other different things that will taste sour in the mouths of many fans of this somewhat obscure title. Now this is essentially the Gears of War version of halo: reach, taking place before the events of Gears of War 1 despite all the weapons included in GoW 3 still available and then some, but unlike Halo: Reach where you actually get to experience what the big deal Halo:Reach Was, Judgment takes a sort of ODST route where your 'squad' get a faux testimony to answer for what they did just prior to being absolutely inconsequential to the rest of the GoW story. Lightmass Missile? Karn? Halvo Bay? Who cares? None of this amounts to the fate of Sera or the success of the Cogs in anyway but just a notable anecdote of Cole and Baird's adventures. Throughout the Campaign you will occasionally get some more info fluff about the two new characters, Paduk (essentially Russian Stereotype) and Sofia (the easy to look at one) that try to show personality but aren't able to explain much more of their backstory before another onslaught of more samey Locust appear. The only new enemy introduced are Ragers which are essentially Mini-Zerkers from GoW3, and as for weapons, as I said, a lot of weapons have been changed for better and for ill. You can shoot two shots with the Sawed Off now, the Hammerburst is now Sem-Auto with huge recoil and no Ironsights aiming from GoW3, and the Boomshield can now be used for any weapon which essentially makes it overpowered considering that you can only carry two weapons now, also making the d-pad useless other than for Tacc Comms. Again, all of these different elements that may had been good on paper but otherwise was not necessary. Also, the campaign battles are glaringly repetitive even for a Gears game considering how the enemy encounters are directly tied to the Declassified appearances rather than the declassified being a side note, but otherwise declassified adds a bit of flavor to the repetition but it is only there to make more people gain those stupid 'stars' that makes the game more arcadey than improved from earlier. As a matter of fact, the Aftermath storyline is the best part of Judgment as it takes place around GoW3 as Cole and Baird were trying to find 'reinforcements', and also doesn't include annoying star gains or declassified bonuses as per with the GOW3 lore (even though all the weapons are still as they are and you can still find the 4 new weapons introduced). As for new weapons, the Marzka and Breechshot are welcome additions to the rifles of GoW, as the Marzka is a more semi-automatic high clip rifle and the Breechshot is a much more powerful, lower clip locust variant of it. As for the Booshka, it's a Boomshot with weaker grenades and grenades with a fuse timer that usually is kind of weaksauce even up close. The Tripwire Crossbow is only used to hold positions and not for combat, which I may also add there is a lot of 'turret defense' segments of the campaign as well that I honestly don't care about. Multiplayer is also severely crippled with the effective horde being a barebones Survival mode, and overrun being the only gamemode to versus locust and cog together (for some reason). But to summarize, this was not really needed as a new title. A story that isn't so lame but is absolutely inconsequential to the main story of GoW, weapons that either got too overpowered or got sodomized, a whole new system that makes the game more 'gamey' rather than good, and just generally changes that weren't needed. That's my judgment of this. Expand
  7. Jun 5, 2015
    This is one heck of a masterpiece,shut up and take my money developers!the campaign is good,story's good but damn that last boss fight tho,frustrating as heck.this deserves a score above average,I actually technically completed the game 10 times.i have. A problem with the absolute mess of swearing but it's not that bad anyway.if anybody likes COD buy this game,I think it's worth to buy itThis is one heck of a masterpiece,shut up and take my money developers!the campaign is good,story's good but damn that last boss fight tho,frustrating as heck.this deserves a score above average,I actually technically completed the game 10 times.i have. A problem with the absolute mess of swearing but it's not that bad anyway.if anybody likes COD buy this game,I think it's worth to buy it in full price.trust me it's worth it.this game deserves a solid 7/10! Expand
  8. Apr 7, 2015
    Consider this a multiplayer review.
    Consider this a multiplayer review.
    Gears Judgment is NOT in a way bad. It is kind of like a Gears 3 re-skin with no hoard (which is really fun in the Gears franchise) with much gore. The only thing people may dislike is the overuse of shotguns. I had a funny message war with someone about him being a noob with the Gnasher shotgun, but then that would make EVERYONE a noob, so I tried it and is actually a good shotgun. So shotgun haters such as myself, here is a message to you- BEWARE. I haven't played story yet so I can't say much about that. I would say get it cheap or get it while it is free for gold members on Xbox 360. I bumped it to 7 due to no hoard and the main use of the multiplayer modes such as Free for All is a shotgun fest plus you don't get as much weapons to start out with in a multiplayer match as you did in Gears 3.
  9. Jan 23, 2015
    The single player campaign is good. The Campaign is short though. Aftermath is extremely short and a let down. The Multiplayer is Horrible, nothing like the last few games.
  10. Aug 11, 2014
    I really liked the first 3 gears of war games, but this one seemed like a cheap cash grab. The mechanics and gameplay is similar to the others, so in that aspect it's okay, but it seems dull as far as the story, and the fact it's the whole game plays like a survivor mode rather than a story driven game the first three were. move from one area, kill a few waves, move to another kill a fewI really liked the first 3 gears of war games, but this one seemed like a cheap cash grab. The mechanics and gameplay is similar to the others, so in that aspect it's okay, but it seems dull as far as the story, and the fact it's the whole game plays like a survivor mode rather than a story driven game the first three were. move from one area, kill a few waves, move to another kill a few waves. A definite step back from the others. Expand
  11. Jul 8, 2014
    Gears of War: Judgement is not a game to be dismissed as bad. In fact, it has the same level of polish and good gameplay of previous games. I also like some of the changes, such as the addition of the Declassified segments. The game, however, feels way to similar to prior games, which may upset many.
  12. May 19, 2014
    A failure of an extension to the GoW universe. They tried balancing out the weapons and mechanics but ultimately failed. A mixed stance on the balancing act is the Gnasher. It was nerfed to punish the community for relying too much on it. Instead of playing the game in the way it was originally intended to be, the community ruined the games itself. They kicked back the active reload sinceA failure of an extension to the GoW universe. They tried balancing out the weapons and mechanics but ultimately failed. A mixed stance on the balancing act is the Gnasher. It was nerfed to punish the community for relying too much on it. Instead of playing the game in the way it was originally intended to be, the community ruined the games itself. They kicked back the active reload since most people would drain their first clip in the beginning of the match so they could active reload for the buffs and weapon load-out is limited to two weapons along with grenades.
    There are only 4 agreeable changes among the countless others. They shelved executions and the D.B.N.O system (which speed up matches and respawning but the game loses it's violent grandeur because of the exclusions.) Teamwork and tactics are virtually nonexistent.
    Another tough subject is sensitivity. In most games, sensitivity increases the speed of button input recognition. That's not the case in GoW. Sensitivity directly impacts the speed your character moves at and performs actions with. The defaults make you an unwieldy tank but ratchet it up, and you're a blur of hulking muscle. With high sensitivity, you can quickscope like it's frickin' CoD. It 's an overpowered hidden mechanic that matches generally hinge on.
    I could care less about the story since you have General Not-RAAM running around on a flying Corpser. The new (or should I say old? This is a prequel after all.) don't change the pace that much. Muliplayer is like watered-downed vodka. Sure, it's easier to swallow but you feel like you're missing something. Just rent it.
  13. Jan 21, 2014
    This game is a huge disappointment, but it's not a crime against humanity like most Gears of War fans seem to believe. It has it's highs and lows, and when it does something well, it's sure to amaze. On the other side of the spectrum, there are sadly a lot of bad things to this game as well, and these will surely be a major deterrent.

Let's start with the bad. The game does not have a

Let's start with the bad. The game does not have a traditional campaign mode like we Gears fans have come to expect/treasure, and it's also pitifully/mercifully short. The new characters are terrible and poorly fleshed out, and Baird and Cole share absolutely no banter. During firefights, you're squad does not shout anything or joke around like they used to. Also, the multiplayer is downright pitiful, a disgrace to the Gears of War franchise, with only 4 maps, and it's all human v. human. That being said, the new survival mode is a welcome addition, but this mode also replaces the much beloved Horde Mode, which was a major selling point in the series.

Now for the good. This game has stellar graphics, some of the best we've seen on the Xbox 360. Also, the A.I. is amazing and this game provides some of the best gameplay in the series. Also, the second campaign, Aftermath, is a fresh, fantastic, and welcome addition.

But that being said, this game is overall a mediocre experience, lacking the heart that drove the rest of the series forward into glory.
  14. Oct 18, 2013
    Gears of war Judgement is a good game. but its very medicre compared with the original trilogy
    I mean,Gears of war trilogy has an excelent story and deep characters
    judgement is very dry
  15. Sep 1, 2013
    Gears of War: Judgement tells the story of Baird and his team, as they are tried for acts of treason against the COG. Judgement's campaign hardly tells a story worth paying any attention to. Instead the campaign throws different combat scenarios at you telling how Kilo squad made it through the fight. If you decide not the do these scenarios, then I would suggest not playing the campaignGears of War: Judgement tells the story of Baird and his team, as they are tried for acts of treason against the COG. Judgement's campaign hardly tells a story worth paying any attention to. Instead the campaign throws different combat scenarios at you telling how Kilo squad made it through the fight. If you decide not the do these scenarios, then I would suggest not playing the campaign because they are the soul reason it is worth playing. The game play has been improved, it is smoother and faster. Team deathmatch and other modes returns to judgement and all are fine. But the new modes free-for-all and overrun modes are definitely good additions. After you complete the campaign a new mode unlocks called Aftermath which is from Gears of War 3. You play as Baird, and it feels more like Gears of War 3 with all of the refinements of Judgement. Gears of War: Judgement feels like it was rushed out so there was one more Gears game out this generation. It has a lot of good things from the series but the things it tries to do new, fall short. Expand
  16. Aug 19, 2013
    I am a big fan of the Gears games. I enjoyed all of them, until now. There is no emotion in this game, it's just a series of short battles. It seems like a cheap arcade version of GOW 2. This game is crap compared to GOW 2 and 3. Graphics have not improved, almost seem like they took less time with some enemy artwork. Sound is the same. It gets a 5 because it's still a good game andI am a big fan of the Gears games. I enjoyed all of them, until now. There is no emotion in this game, it's just a series of short battles. It seems like a cheap arcade version of GOW 2. This game is crap compared to GOW 2 and 3. Graphics have not improved, almost seem like they took less time with some enemy artwork. Sound is the same. It gets a 5 because it's still a good game and better than a lot of crap out there. You can't get worse with sequels, you have to improve, and this is a big letdown to long time fans. Expand
  17. Aug 18, 2013
    I loved GoW 1, thought GoW 2 was ok and I did not like GoW 3 at all. I actually thought this game was pretty fun. There was nothing new but the game looked really polished and the story was pretty decent. The game is really short 6-8hrs. So I would not recommend buying but this game is a solid rent that could be beaten over a weekend.
  18. Aug 4, 2013
    this is easily the most disappointing i have been in a game this year. everything that was great about gears of war 3 which was most things were missing in judgement. lets start the campaign the game had the potential to expand the characters of baird and cole and also explore the initial stages of the locust attack and the brutality that came with it. The story falls short in every waythis is easily the most disappointing i have been in a game this year. everything that was great about gears of war 3 which was most things were missing in judgement. lets start the campaign the game had the potential to expand the characters of baird and cole and also explore the initial stages of the locust attack and the brutality that came with it. The story falls short in every way and often feels forced. it is really short as there is really nothing going on through the whole story. the addition of the challenges are interesting but not capitalized upon and there is nothing really interesting ever going on with the campaign. it is the only gears of war campaign i have not played twice. don't get me started on the ending as well. possibly the worst villain in videogames never any emotion and im not even sure that there is a line of dialogue from this forgettable character.

as for the multiplayer overrun is fantastic and easily the best mode available in this game. it is deep and satisfying with lots of options and interesting maps and specialties available from each class of character.

regular multiplayer on the other hand is a joke 4 maps. really. after about an hour you have already played every map and also the fact that many of the mechanics that made gears multiplayer so unique have been removed.

and the final nail in the coffin for this game was the removal of horde mode. i feel like this game took a lot of risks yet many of them were not justified and it seems as if this series may now struggle to redeem itself. i still love the how the shooting feels in the campaign and the cover to cover system as been tweaked for the better. The game looks stunning and many of the environments are great to look at but that doesn't make a great game.
  19. Aug 4, 2013
    When you take a franchise like Gears and you make a worse game than your original (Bulletstorm), then you know it's bound to receive worse ratings than it would.

Gears: Judgment is pretty similar to the other GoW, God of War: Ascension. Both prequels, both with kind of a spin-off story, holding up to their predecessors technically and not doing a damn thing to improve that aspect and both as enjoyable as the franchise standard offer. Besides that a couple of cool ideas/weapons/enemies and that's it.

Prequel loss for ideas
    Nonetheless, the story and storytelling to be exact isnt that bad. The idea of the aftermath might have been for a dlc, but all in all it's not bad at all. What's bad is that the campaign has become a non-explorative level/battle to level/battle. And all of this arcade style. I wouldn't mind if they did that on another mode, trying to simplify the levels to match an arcade feeling, but the campaign is hollow now. It's worse than the excellent Gears 3, but stil a quite enjoyable shooter (that lasts only half of the other Gears games durations).

Play Gears 3 again or some other excellent shooter unless you are a hardcore-wannadieforGears fan. Even then, Marcus isn't home...
  20. Jul 2, 2013
    If you're a fan of Gears of War at all, you will notice a big difference from Judgement to its other very successful predecessors. I did not find the story any where close to engrossing as Gears of War 3 was, the story was comprised of fighting endless waves of enemies and a lot of door kicking. Anyways, lets just say I did not like the story at all. It added a couple new elements such asIf you're a fan of Gears of War at all, you will notice a big difference from Judgement to its other very successful predecessors. I did not find the story any where close to engrossing as Gears of War 3 was, the story was comprised of fighting endless waves of enemies and a lot of door kicking. Anyways, lets just say I did not like the story at all. It added a couple new elements such as mini challenges and a tower defense aspect. Lets move on to the multiplayer, what made Gears of War 3 shine. Once again Judgement does not even meet up to the Gears of War standard we have all set, very few maps and modes. And the only way to get all the new maps of course is to buy a season pass, which I would not recommend. To sum it up, if you're a fan of Gears of War at all and are looking for a new Gears to play don't get this. If you're new to the Gears world and want to shoot stuff and kick doors in, this game is for you, otherwise steer away from this mediocre game. Expand
  21. Jun 24, 2013
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooohdhdbfjcjjzjfnbzbxjfnnfjjgghhyytttttttgggtggrgggttttttttrrtyuyytthhhhhhhhggggtgtttyyyyyyyyyyyyyrryyytttttttyvghhhgggghhhrgyyyrhhtthhtyyryhghhhhhggggggggggggvggggyyjjjuuuyyyyytttttttgyyyyyyyyytttttyyyyytgg
  22. Jun 23, 2013
    “Boooom!” shouts the oversized Locust trooper as he fires off another round at COG lieutenant, Damon Baird and the members of Kilo Squad. This is an all-to-familiar site for anyone who has played any of the Gears of War games. Your team is bunkered down in cover, quickly popping-up to fire off a few rounds into a ticker or wretch. There are enemies everywhere, you keep bouncing from one“Boooom!” shouts the oversized Locust trooper as he fires off another round at COG lieutenant, Damon Baird and the members of Kilo Squad. This is an all-to-familiar site for anyone who has played any of the Gears of War games. Your team is bunkered down in cover, quickly popping-up to fire off a few rounds into a ticker or wretch. There are enemies everywhere, you keep bouncing from one spot to another, and the intensity is at 11! It’s Gears, but is not Gears all at the same time. You know how to play and what the story is all about, but some things have changed, have they changed for the better?
    Enter Gears of War: Judgment, the fourth title in the Gears series and a prequel to the original Gears. This time Epic Studios have put developer People Can Fly at the reigns of their beloved franchise. In an effort to appeal to the modern shooter fan they’ve made some minor control changes and some major design changes to the multi-player. The question is, does it make for a better Gears game or will long-time fans not be happy with some of the choices that have been made?

Read the full review at www.GameFan365.com
  23. Jun 12, 2013
    I'm not going to stand here and say this game sucks, because it doesn't. It just lacks... Something. The campaign is pretty fun, just extremely repetitive. Visually outstanding and the sound design is as good as ever. The combat is great, but it needs pacing and brakes. Sure moving through hordes of enemys is fun, it just gets a bit much when you're doing it in the campaign for 8 hours+I'm not going to stand here and say this game sucks, because it doesn't. It just lacks... Something. The campaign is pretty fun, just extremely repetitive. Visually outstanding and the sound design is as good as ever. The combat is great, but it needs pacing and brakes. Sure moving through hordes of enemys is fun, it just gets a bit much when you're doing it in the campaign for 8 hours+ with no brakes. Check point placement could of been better as well. Button lay out is still the best for any xbox shooter game, imo. The new classified missions are a really nice edition and co-op play is where the most fun is to have. Multiplayer feels pretty good, they've added some stuff which makes it feel fresh, although still nothing to keep me interested for too long. I tried my best to play it with an open mind, and it interested me for a while... But all in all, it's just a pretty average game with lots of co-op and long lasting game play. Expand
  24. Jun 3, 2013
    Definitely the worst entry in the series, but it's still a fun experience when played with others. The story and dialogue are laughably bad and the set pieces aren't very interesting. The graphics are also more cartoonish. I like the variety of different modes you can play, but they didn't stop me from trading it back in fairly quickly once I was done.
  25. May 11, 2013
    Gears of war: Judgment is a likely solid game, but it just fails in every way his predecessors succeeded. As someone who was been playing this saga since the Original GOW, I would say this game is for "fans only".
  26. May 4, 2013
    IN MY OPINION, Gears of War Judgment is the worst game in the series. WHY? overall the game is a shallow experience, missions are repetiiive, each testimony has 6 sections and every single section feels the same. At the end of every Testimony you have to defeat 2-3 waves of enemies which makes it repetitive and boring. As for the story, well there is not really much to say but on theIN MY OPINION, Gears of War Judgment is the worst game in the series. WHY? overall the game is a shallow experience, missions are repetiiive, each testimony has 6 sections and every single section feels the same. At the end of every Testimony you have to defeat 2-3 waves of enemies which makes it repetitive and boring. As for the story, well there is not really much to say but on the other hand Aftermath is a really fun addition to the game i really enjoyed it. Although the game does some things right, gameplay is solid like in every Gears of War. Last thing that Gear of War does right is the multiplayer, probably the most enjoyable multiplayer i have ever played. If you want to buy Gears of War: Judgement, you should definitely give it a try because it's really deep and fun if you are playing with you buddies. Overall, Gears of War: Judgement is a fun game with a boring story, deep multiplayer and solid gameplay. I would recommend it only for hardcore Gears of War fans. Expand
  27. Apr 29, 2013
    Gear Of War Judgment is a prequel to the Gears Of War Trilogy. It explains the back story to the two main support characters from the main series. It is your typical Gears of War game and the mechanics are very much the same as what you experience in the other games. There are some nice new weapons to play with along with some new enemies (some of which I would have liked to have been inGear Of War Judgment is a prequel to the Gears Of War Trilogy. It explains the back story to the two main support characters from the main series. It is your typical Gears of War game and the mechanics are very much the same as what you experience in the other games. There are some nice new weapons to play with along with some new enemies (some of which I would have liked to have been in the other games). The main new feature that really made the game a joy to play were the Declassified missions. Basically when you play the game there are additional challenges you can activate to make the game more challenging. These vary from using certain weapons, harder enemies and reduced visibility but they do add another level to the game. The main campaign is a little short and does not really have any massive Stand Out moments but its solid enough with a decent enough plot.
    I liked the addition of the Aftermath mode which opens up a story that fills in the blanks from Gears of War 3.
    This game is nothing new and so will not bring any new players into the Franchise but will be a welcome addition to the original games. For this reason I cannot give it a truely high score even though it does not do anything bad. The game mechanics are all solid and the AI is decent enough. I did not understand why in Aftermath they seem to have removed the Declassified options as I did honestly miss them once I had played the main campaign through.
    I have not spent much time on the Multiplayer modes and so cannot really review with any depth but the modes are mainly ports from the other games.
  28. Apr 28, 2013
    This game is very strange, being a prequel you already know the outcome, your guys survive and move on. I am not a fan of prequels because they don't add much to the storyline of the franchise. The layout is odd, giving you stars for completing sections of each single player level. The storyline is broken up way too much causing problems with fluidity. Play for 5 minites stop play for 5This game is very strange, being a prequel you already know the outcome, your guys survive and move on. I am not a fan of prequels because they don't add much to the storyline of the franchise. The layout is odd, giving you stars for completing sections of each single player level. The storyline is broken up way too much causing problems with fluidity. Play for 5 minites stop play for 5 more. I do appreciate them keeping a boss battle at the end of the game, too many games dump these out now, they are fun. Overall it doesn't do much for the franchise, the story relies on minor characters from the first 3 to take the lead, they don't succeed. There is also an extra level that adds storyline to gears 3 that should have been released as a gears 3 dlc and not something added into a totally different game. Expand
  29. Apr 25, 2013
    This game I rated a 7 Reason being is because it has a great story and all and the amount of level concepts are nice But it doesn't really bring nothing new to the table like halo 4 has and blacktops 2 but all and all the story is great but you might grow bored of the online play But its a great game and if you like previous games you well enjoy this
  30. Apr 21, 2013
    Starting off, ive been playing gears of war since the first and even though i wasn't good at it i still played it because i was that into the game style. No epic has really out done themselves. This game has been ruined and really was just made so they can earn money. They've taken way to many things out that should have stayed and ruined this game. I would just stick to playing GoW 3.Starting off, ive been playing gears of war since the first and even though i wasn't good at it i still played it because i was that into the game style. No epic has really out done themselves. This game has been ruined and really was just made so they can earn money. They've taken way to many things out that should have stayed and ruined this game. I would just stick to playing GoW 3. Dont waste your money or time, Expand

1. Hyper Magazine
    May 9, 2013
    It's Gears 3, minus pacing and ambition. It's still fantastically enjoyable, but it's easily the least interesting Gears game. [June 2013, p.64]
  2. CD-Action
    May 7, 2013
    Judgment shows that the People Can Fly team knows its way around triple-A titles. They managed to squeeze a lot out of Unreal Engine 3 – the game looks great even compared to Crysis 3, which set new standards in terms of visuals, also on consoles. And when the technology restrained them, they creatively found a way around limitations. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.60]
  3. Apr 21, 2013
    Judgment feels a bit like an excuse to provide the Xbox 360 with one last first-party game for what is likely to be its final year as Microsoft’s flagship game platform.