5.4

1. Mar 20, 2013
    When it comes to prequels, my expectations are lowered as I know I'm buying an inferior product compared to games like Gears 2 & 3 and this rains true with judgment. There is no sense of camaraderie with your squad, character like Colonel Loomis, Sofia and Paduk are underdeveloped and you don't really care about them, many of the declassified missions are recycled throughout the campaignWhen it comes to prequels, my expectations are lowered as I know I'm buying an inferior product compared to games like Gears 2 & 3 and this rains true with judgment. There is no sense of camaraderie with your squad, character like Colonel Loomis, Sofia and Paduk are underdeveloped and you don't really care about them, many of the declassified missions are recycled throughout the campaign making it a chore rather than having fun and the final boss fight is anti-climatic and lacks a sense of challenge. It's like the voice actors from the original gears games decide to spend an afternoon with People Can Fly to do some recording and that's it. It's just odd seeing less smart ass remarks from Baird and Coletrain being awfully quiet through most of the 5-6hr campaign. The whole Cog vs Cog alienates fans of gears as the only opportunity to play as the locust is in the games overrun mode and the fact that most of the game's unlocks are microtransactions is a big disappointment. I can see some buying this as a $20-$30 purchase but not full price. It doesn't feel like Gears and it's title is just slapped on the cover just to make a quick buck. Expand
  2. Mar 21, 2013
    I decided to write this review because I'm one of the people that got Judgement on release day. Being a huge Gears of war fan I was looking forward to a new title, new weapons and Overrun Mode. And ultimately, I find myself SEVERELY disappointed. I will say the game brings to unique aspects that I did enjoy, but it's glaring flaws outnumber any advancements that game adds. As I mentioned,I decided to write this review because I'm one of the people that got Judgement on release day. Being a huge Gears of war fan I was looking forward to a new title, new weapons and Overrun Mode. And ultimately, I find myself SEVERELY disappointed. I will say the game brings to unique aspects that I did enjoy, but it's glaring flaws outnumber any advancements that game adds. As I mentioned, the game does some things right: The addition of "Declassified" missions is a pretty fun take on the general Gears formula. Some missions require the the area to completed in a certain time span, other require the use of certain weapons for example; in any case, it brings in a new level of "challenge" to the Gears formula, that's much appreciated. These declassified missions are of course optional, but unlock various multiplayer items.

Overrun mode is a solid addition to the Gears of War formula as well. I will say playing as the Locust provides more entertainment than Cog; both Locust and Cog gain "Points" for achieving various objects, healing allies, killing enemies, etc. But ONLY Locust get to use these "Points" for purchasing upgraded Locust minions, such as a Mauler, or Corpser. Cog get nothing, just a competition for who can get the most points. I feel like perhaps the designers could've given the Cog access to upgraded weapons, grenades or powers to spend their "Points" on, but there is nothing. Overrun is is a fun game mode, but it still leaves players with the feeling that the game mode could encompass so much more and not just be a run off of the Gears version of Team Fortress or Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

Now on to the bad news: This isn't you traditional Gears of War multiplayer experience. I understand that People Can Fly has made an attempt to mainstream the series, but this is definitely a multipalyer experience that will upset the Gears diehards and really feels like a couple of steps back from Gears of War 3. To begin, players are limited to four game types: Free for All, Team Deathmatch, Domination and Overrun (VIP players get 4 more game types... Just the VIP version of each of these that offer no additional maps, no additional benefits other than double experience). Players also get the aptly named "Survival" mode, which is similar to Overrun, but against computer Locust; this is like "Horde" mode, but limited to 10 waves, and you're stuck in rigid classes.

In any case, back to the standard multiplayer it seems a little rushed and severely numbed down. To begin, you now can select one of up to seven primary weapons to start with (Shotguns are now considered "primary") and you get your Snub Pistol.. Not only that, but you only get two weapons to switch between (with the "Y" button) and your Grenade (which you also can choose between 5 grenades to start with). Being able to select such a variety of weapons and grenades before you spawn severely limits battles over the weapon drops on the maps.

Judgement also removes from multiplayer, some key concepts brought about by the Gears saga (but oddly enough are kept in Campaign). The first is downing opponents and executions. No more human shields, no more stunning visuals of smacking the heads off your foes with the Longshot like Tiger Woods teeing off at the Masters, now you just kill (except in Overrun). No tagging walls with Grenades to step up mines. In fact, there's not even a bullet power bonus from Active Reloads any longer (just fire speed).

Really with all the changes, many of the weapons have become underwhelming. The weakness of the Lancer, the inaccuracy of the Retro Lancer, the weakness of the Hammerburst without the bonus power of an perfect active reload, just don't seem to do enough damage. Also, Sniper Rifles and Torque Bows just don't seem to have the same effect in Judgement as they did in game past. Multiplayer in Judgement has really become a Shotgun circle, with each team sprinting at each other, Gnashering or Sawed off until no one is left. With the other weapons becoming so Underwhelming (well minus the Boomshot, Booshka and the explosives), why would a player want to pick any other weapon? The cover mechanics of Gears feel very gimped when your target is 100ft away and they rush straight at you, eat an entire Lancer clip and manage to one shot you with a Shotgun, or survive 4 shots from a Marzka, but can kill you mid range with four Shotgun shots. The multiplayer experience seems like it was rushed, or was developed by entirely different team than the campaign. Even fun additions, like being able to wield a shield with any primary weapon, are overshadowed by the flaws in game play. The sad part is, the maps are very well designed but aren't really appreciated due to the imbalances in game play.

In summary, this game does have some great additions to the series, but takes so much out of the Gears experience, it feels like a step in the wrong direction after such a great experience with gears of War 3.
  3. Mar 19, 2013
    The weakest of the series, i personally hate the more arcade feel of the game. Nothing in this game stand out. In my opinion if you are a fan maybe a buy if you are not a fan just turn around and go play Tomb raider!!
  4. Mar 19, 2013
    This game that runs under the moniker of Gears of War hardly qualifies for the title. Epic games has killed off the hardcore fan base and dropped the ball by changing what made gears of war...gears of war. The multi-player made gears it's own shooter and gave it the appeal that kept a solid fan base. This title however bring in changes that unequivocally destroy the unique nature of theThis game that runs under the moniker of Gears of War hardly qualifies for the title. Epic games has killed off the hardcore fan base and dropped the ball by changing what made gears of war...gears of war. The multi-player made gears it's own shooter and gave it the appeal that kept a solid fan base. This title however bring in changes that unequivocally destroy the unique nature of the multi-player that once was the reason people flocked to stores to buy the games. No "down but not out" ,aka no executions, has turned what used to be a game with skilled shotgun and sniper battles into a very vanilla shooter. No more can you wall bounce your way out of a head shot from a sniper. Now he can just clip you to death with poor aim. No more epic shotgun battles that caused your adrenaline to shoot up while you pop'd your opponents head off with a delightful pop.

Epic games and people can fly have ruined what made this series.

It's almost like Michael Jordan's return to basketball. It's a sad sad version of what once was, and what hope that had been brought with the thought of a new title to an amazing series has been... dare i say it, curb stomped.
  5. Mar 19, 2013
    The game that killed the series. Everything that all fans liked about Gears is taken away and turned into a more arcade COD like game. Disappointed is an understatement.
  6. Mar 19, 2013
    Sigh, by far the worst game in the gears of war franchise I can go as far to say that it does not even deserve to be have the name gears of war in its title. the game has been totally changed the controllers have been turned into call of duty style unlike the good original gears of war controls, only 4 launch maps, around 9 characters (carmines are not included). down but not out mode isSigh, by far the worst game in the gears of war franchise I can go as far to say that it does not even deserve to be have the name gears of war in its title. the game has been totally changed the controllers have been turned into call of duty style unlike the good original gears of war controls, only 4 launch maps, around 9 characters (carmines are not included). down but not out mode is gone so you just die immediately not get downed. the story line has concept but it is badly executed half of the campaign seems like you are playing an online match just setting up defenses and waiting for the locust to come towards you it is boring and nothing but a time burn. I've been playing gears of war since the first one and I can honestly say that this is the first one in the franchise that I will return. Expand
  7. Mar 19, 2013
    As a "Gear Head" the game's single player heavily relied on its combat and presented me with many different ways to approach them. With smart AI you wont be fighting the same enemies if you wipe in single player. I completed the campaign in coop, with the game's matching making filling in those empty spots is a breeze. Also God of War was not the right GOW to purchase. I like PSY
  8. Mar 31, 2013
    I pre-ordered this because Gears. I have spent literally thousands of hours on this series and this by far is the weakest. They have a 'VIP' zone, splitting the community into 2 groups. WE ONLY GET 4 MAPS, No DBNO, no meatshields, no active reload, ONLY COMES WITH 5 CHARACTERS, the execution DLC just released includes 1 map with a seriously poor tacked on take on 'execution' The campaignI pre-ordered this because Gears. I have spent literally thousands of hours on this series and this by far is the weakest. They have a 'VIP' zone, splitting the community into 2 groups. WE ONLY GET 4 MAPS, No DBNO, no meatshields, no active reload, ONLY COMES WITH 5 CHARACTERS, the execution DLC just released includes 1 map with a seriously poor tacked on take on 'execution' The campaign should be called arcade mode as is it no way cinematic, just a start-stop point grab. Avoid this game if you want to preserve your fond memories of gears. Gears of war 3 was perfect. This looks slightly better, yet plays worse. The most disturbing thing is the microtransactions. EPIC have created more custom suits and weapons to charge you a ridiculous price for, THESE SKINS COME ON THE DISC. We are paying to unlock them, on top of the DLC and game. this review would of been expletive if It was allowed. Expand
  9. Jul 11, 2013
    Now they have made the game even worse. They are changing the game as It goes. I just logged in after a month or so cause the game was so boring, to find out now when you pick up ammo you dont recharge your grenades! wtf! one grenade per game? completely change the game mechanics once you get used to them? change the rule of the game in the middle of game play???????????? epic games doentNow they have made the game even worse. They are changing the game as It goes. I just logged in after a month or so cause the game was so boring, to find out now when you pick up ammo you dont recharge your grenades! wtf! one grenade per game? completely change the game mechanics once you get used to them? change the rule of the game in the middle of game play???????????? epic games doent know what the _uck they are doing, they go on pulling to the right, and the a month later to the left. _uck off and get your act together, this game is a joke!!!!!!!!!! ____uck this game is the reason I switched to psp3 the last of us rock great game, no ore epic and microsoft they dont deliver Expand
  10. Mar 28, 2013
    As many other veteran Gears fans have already stated, this latest addition is underwhelming. However it doesn't mean its a bad game outright, though I believe it has no place in the Gears universe. The single/co-op/four player ironically is the best after Gears 1, I do like how People can fly have changed it for the better. The problems though are with the multiplayer, which to many is theAs many other veteran Gears fans have already stated, this latest addition is underwhelming. However it doesn't mean its a bad game outright, though I believe it has no place in the Gears universe. The single/co-op/four player ironically is the best after Gears 1, I do like how People can fly have changed it for the better. The problems though are with the multiplayer, which to many is the reason why we brought it. First the day one micro transactions............ absolutely scandalous! Then the maps, discounting the vastly over-rated over-run there are four maps that I counted where the same map gets replayed over and over until it changes. Then no downs, as the boss guards in MGSPW would say 'WHAT?'! That alone makes certain maps and weapons so unbalanced it's stupid. Then free for all, initially a good premise but with experienced players camping at power weapons spots again there is little balance. Lastly the weapons, I like the Beecher a lot but the old lancer and marzker are way too over powered, plus hit detection is very erratic. All these problems new players won't know or care about, but a vet will be disgusted and frankly I feel I have wasted cash on this. BUT the old Gears of War download was a great touch, but I don't think it has aged very well with several glitches, laggy connections and cheating NOT removed ie crab walking or being invisible in brushes etc. Overall an average game but a extremely poor Gears! Expand
  11. Mar 31, 2013
    As somebody who is a very casual Gears of War fan, I thought i'd go out of my way and give this game a try, given how much I like Gears of War 3 and its predecessors. The game really doesn't do much to change things up, same gameplay and multiplayer. What did change however, is the story and survival modes. What I like about the campaign is that it's told in many different people'sAs somebody who is a very casual Gears of War fan, I thought i'd go out of my way and give this game a try, given how much I like Gears of War 3 and its predecessors. The game really doesn't do much to change things up, same gameplay and multiplayer. What did change however, is the story and survival modes. What I like about the campaign is that it's told in many different people's perspective, which is very interesting. However I don't like the changes made in survival modes. First off, they took out Horde mode. What...? This game mode has risen to huge fame since Gears of War 2 and was turned into a masterpiece in Gears of War 3, and now you take it out. Well in fact they put in a new game mode, which I can't remember the name of, but you're basically defending this cheaply made base that is easy to destroy and hard to defend, a huge letdown if you ask me. They kept the beast mode game type (Now called Overrun) which I still have mixed feelings about, due to the fact that I wasn't a big fan in the first place. In short, if you like the Gears of War series, get this game, if you're casual like me, don't. Expand
  12. Apr 7, 2013
    This from a massive Gears of War fan.

This is the most heinous entry in the series to date. While the single player is at least mildly enjoyable (if not grossly short) if you can get over the completely gutted controls and that you can now only carry 2 weapons. The multiplayer is however where this product has become a disgrace. They have removed locusts so now its only Cog vs Cog
    This from a massive Gears of War fan.

They have removed locusts so now its only Cog vs Cog only. No active reloads, horribly designed levels that play atrociously because they are COD maps not gears of war maps and there is only 4 of them unless you want to pay for more. The entire weapon system has been changed for online, shotguns are now as crap as they were back in gears 2, you die from 1 shot of a flame thrower and a micro burst from a lancer will kill you too.

The entire game has been ruined to the point it is no longer recognizable, it has now turned into and call of duty/halo game with a gears makeover. It is in no way shape or form a gears of war game, its almost indescribable how terribly they have destroyed a beloved franchise.

If that wasn't enough there is less than half the content of the previous game, Gears of war 3. This game should be liable for false advertising, it is NOT a Gears of War game.
  13. Mar 25, 2013
    The campaign is fun, short and with a few random transitions which are never explained, strange seeing as it's a courtroom testimony. The kicker is that there's no feel for characters whatsoever. Everyone knows Cole Train and Baird from Gears 1, 2 & 3. And in Judgement we get no feeling of their characters, or Padak or Sofia. Apparently Sofia was a critic of the CoG, it'd be nice if theyThe campaign is fun, short and with a few random transitions which are never explained, strange seeing as it's a courtroom testimony. The kicker is that there's no feel for characters whatsoever. Everyone knows Cole Train and Baird from Gears 1, 2 & 3. And in Judgement we get no feeling of their characters, or Padak or Sofia. Apparently Sofia was a critic of the CoG, it'd be nice if they included that in the storyline but unfortunatly it's hacked into statistical chunks for how stars you earn so any sense of immersion or connection with the character is stopped when Epic comes along to tell you how well you did didn't do. Cole might make a remark about his wealth, but that doesn't expand on his character other than "he's rich", which we kinda gathered. That's as deep as characters get.
    Stars have been added for reasons I cannot fathom except for unlocking Tai and telling you what a bad job you did. Or rather how bad the AI is because you get peanalised for DBNO time, which is irritating when the AI have regressed in intelligence since Gears 3 and now ignore you for a long while as you watch your stars drain away until the decide when they want to revive you. Another banailty of Gears J is that on starting it, it asks if you're familiar with the controls. You'd think after three games of similar control you would be familiar with the controls and hit yes. Well guess what, they're brand-new controls all together, with only two weapons available and the weapon switching being changed to the Y button, quick-grenade throwing on the left bumper and tac/com being stuck on the D-Pad so have fun throwing your grenade when trying to check where your objective is and trying to remember how to swap to your Gnasher when Therons are trying to chop you into CoG paste. Declassified Missions are nice addition, a fun way to change up the action and really test your skill and it's one of the finer points of the campaign. However, if you don't choose the Declassified Mission then have fun only acheiving two stars (on Hardened at least) as though Epic's punishing you for not doing a time-trial or using only Boltoks. The big evil boss has about as much screentime as T-Dog in the Walking Dead, appearing in the most clichéd plot-twist. In all it doesn't do much for a Gears fan, you don't see any glimpses of the characters you would know from the other Gears, there's no addition to the storyline or canon of the Gears universe. In all it starts strong and quickly collapses like a deck of cards and finishes with an ending that left me stumped with no sense of acheivment or finality for completing it. Multiplayer is my biggest gripe with this game however. The only reson I bought Xbox Live was the play Gears 3, and I played it religeously. It's combat was unique and fun, requiring skills and tactics even in quick TDM. And this has all been thrown out the window. Firstly, there's no Locust vs. CoG, just CoG vs. CoG. And with only eight characters to choose, have fun trying to remember which of the four Bairds are on your team. And the idea of 'Team' goes out the window with random spawns all over the map, so you're all scattered throughout the map. No unlockable characters, no unlockable skins; you get nothing for levelling or for getting medals. If you want skins, you either have to spin the roulette wheel in hopes that it pops out of prize boxes or pay for it. Simple as. Removing all sense of acheivement that I had from running around as Prescott or a Kantus, nope I'm just Cole with stupid neon face paint. The combat as a whole had been ruined. No longer is is cover-based heated battles, now it's CoD-style running around like a headless chicken with a shotgun in the hopes that you can kill someone before inevitably being shot from behind by someone using the same tactics. No skills, no tactics, no cover-based shooting (which was the signiture mechanice of the first three games). Or just throw frags everywhere, they're common as muck; stim and becon grenades are about as useful as a pillowcase in multiplayer. The maps are so dark that it's hard to see what the hell I'm doing, it's dark even for Gears, and they're set out in a way to discourage anything except my afformentioned headless-chicken tactic. And kiss goodbye to gruesome excecutions, no more DBNO. You just keel over and respawn. It sucks. In all, I am irritated that I pre-ordered this game. I would've waited until it was cheaper, played the campaign then gone back to played Gears 3 multiplayer. Instead I forked out extra money for it to be sat there, with it's horribly broken multiplayer and water-weak campaign. If the title is anything to go by, the devs at Epic must have judged this 'adequate' in order to wring money out of its fans with skins and VIP Passes, because I cant belive they could think this as good as Gears 1, 2 and 3. I shall be playing Gears 3 multiplayer instead, because that was a well-made game. Buy that rather than this cash-in.
  14. Mar 26, 2013
    Do not buy this game. It is a pretty, heartless It masquerades itself as a true Gears title, but almost every line was cringe worthy. My friend and I had ourselves saying "Wow that line wasn't that bad" when we were surprised by one that wasn't awful. The game's story is predictable and uninteresting, filled with banal and under cooked characters. Lazy level design made me feel like I wasDo not buy this game. It is a pretty, heartless It masquerades itself as a true Gears title, but almost every line was cringe worthy. My friend and I had ourselves saying "Wow that line wasn't that bad" when we were surprised by one that wasn't awful. The game's story is predictable and uninteresting, filled with banal and under cooked characters. Lazy level design made me feel like I was playing a horde mode during every level and the boss fight was painfully typical and unimaginative. I could go on for so much longer about how bad this game was....but the graphics are pretty....so that is a plus... Expand
  15. Mar 26, 2013
    Not happy at all! What is with the annoying habit of developers making the menu and in game language set to the country that you purchased the game in? There is no language choice option either... I live in Norway but I'm from Australia, therefore the menus and in game text etc are in Norwegian which even my Norwegian friends can't fully understand and do not like... As soon as I startedNot happy at all! What is with the annoying habit of developers making the menu and in game language set to the country that you purchased the game in? There is no language choice option either... I live in Norway but I'm from Australia, therefore the menus and in game text etc are in Norwegian which even my Norwegian friends can't fully understand and do not like... As soon as I started it up I was pissed at seeing the Norwegian text, I have even changed my xbox region to the UK previously due to daft developers like Ubisoft having the same stupid language thing. Dear game developers...Just because you live in a country, doesn't mean you want your freaking games in that country's language!!!!!! STOP IT! Being a massive Gears fan the game is disappointing to say the least, graphics are substandard, the campaign is glitchy and stale to the point where I will not bother completing it, it just seems like a chore to get through the missions not much fun. The multiplayer is pants, not just because I can't understand what is what due to the stupid google translated Norwegian, but gameplay is again disappointing... Just seems like a money grab to me, the series has gone backwards. I'm trading my copy in today for Bioshock. That is all.... Expand
  16. Mar 30, 2013
    Easily one of the year's most anticipated titles has failed to deliver as a whole. The few new and pleasing aspects of the game are overshadowed by bland and uninteresting characterisation, uninspiring multiplayer modes and a general feeling that the developers did not care about the finished product enough to craft it properly.
    GoW3 was an experience that left me with a sense of
    GoW3 was an experience that left me with a sense of accomplishment and one that tempted me back time and time again. GoWJ, on the other hand, has left me feeling a bit hard done as not only did I pre-order my copy, but also purchased the VIP content prior to the game's release. Once bitten, twice shy... I'll not be making that mistake again.
  17. Apr 6, 2013
    I can summarize my review with a passage from my play. "Baird, over here Bair- no over here, not there, here. Yes finally, now, wait Baird, c'mon get me up!... And now I'm dead. Thanks Baird". In short, unbelievably useless AI. In addition to more DLC skins at launch than included ones, nine characters to play as (including two re-skinned characters), FOUR multiplayer maps, and COG vs. COGI can summarize my review with a passage from my play. "Baird, over here Bair- no over here, not there, here. Yes finally, now, wait Baird, c'mon get me up!... And now I'm dead. Thanks Baird". In short, unbelievably useless AI. In addition to more DLC skins at launch than included ones, nine characters to play as (including two re-skinned characters), FOUR multiplayer maps, and COG vs. COG multiplayer, this game warrants a 5/10 in my opinion. Expand
  18. Mar 28, 2013
    I have played Gears of War since the very first game and have spent a massive amount of time on the 3 games in the series. Gears is my MP game, I hardly play any others, I don't own a single COD or Halo game...it's all gears for me. I am a HUGE gears game. With that said, writing what follows is a bit painful.

This game is garbage. It is easily, by far, not even close the worst game

This game is garbage.

It is easily, by far, not even close the worst game in the series. It feels like something they threw together at the last minute. I honestly don't have the time to list every single thing wrong with this game, and besides I will probably run out of room. I'll try to give a very brief overview.

Campaign: Entertaining but lacking the depth and character development in past campaigns. The action and gameplay is fun, the missions are cool but it just feels....hollow. There's really no substance there.

Multiplayer: This is where the game completely falls apart. A massive amount of changes were made that were totally unnecessary and ruin the game. This is what happens when a developer tries to satisfy multiple fan bases of different games instead of building a game that caters to fans of the series. This is a Halo-Cod-Gears abomination. It's awful, it's terrible, I can't stand playing it for a hundred different reasons that would take an hour for me to type here. It just sucks, period. And it really hurts me to say that because I really wanted to like this game, I was excited for it before launch, bought the VIP pass and then it just....fizzled.

Bottom line: Save your money and wait for the next game on the new console (hopefully we get another gears game and they get a chance to redeem themselves after this mess.)
  19. Mar 28, 2013
    They took way too much from Gears in judgment. The campaign and overrun were the only two modes actually Gears related. Divio, I couldn't agree more. Aside from the two aforementioned modes, judgment just feels like call of duty. To be perfectly honest most of judgment either could have or should have been DLC for Gears 3. There was no real character depth from the campaign either. In theThey took way too much from Gears in judgment. The campaign and overrun were the only two modes actually Gears related. Divio, I couldn't agree more. Aside from the two aforementioned modes, judgment just feels like call of duty. To be perfectly honest most of judgment either could have or should have been DLC for Gears 3. There was no real character depth from the campaign either. In the first 3 Gears you actually get to know Marcus and Dom. From Marcus being sprung from prison and why he was there to begin with, to Dom's wife and kids and up to the emotional peaks of Dom's and Adam Fenix's deaths. In judgment howerever, anyone who hadn't played the original trilogy wouldn't anything about Baird or Cole. Cole would just be some guy that goes "WOOO" a lot. Other than that, most of the other negative review say it better than I could. I deffinately would not recomend this game to any real gears fan. Expand
  20. Mar 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its time to be judged. Gears has always been famous for its non-stop, balls out action approach to gaming like many others, however gears is different, especially in judgement. Judgement introduces new features such as the easy weapon swap and grenade throw and removes others such as the three weapon slots. The game feels great to play, fluid and the way gears should be but its been done wrong. These game play features that have been introduced revolutionise the gears game play however they have not been used to their full extent and so instead feel like a little extra as opposed to a "big deal". The campaign is the weakest part of judgement. Straight out there it is the worst in the series. The characters are all well presented however the dynamic is just not there like the others. All of the characters in the original had a back story and felt real, believable and likeable. These don't. Baird is just Lieutenant Baird and Cole is just the stereotypical character we love but less funny than before. In fact, considering the game consists of the two funniest characters in the series, you would expect there to be humour. There is the odd joke that might make you smirk, but other than that it just feels bland and un-natural for the characters to behave like. The boss is almost non-existent in the game as well, he has a couple of scenes and then you don't even get to fight him. Killing him is just a cut scene instead of a bullets flying everywhere gore fest like it should be for a classic climactic gears game. The game also introduces a completely unnecessary scoring feature that interrupts the game abruptly every ten or fifteen minutes, completely ruining the drama and the story of judgement. The one thing that, in my opinion, saves judgement is Aftermath and this only lasts about 2 hours. This returns to the classic gears of war remedy however with less drama and a happy, disappointing ending. On the other hand, Judgement incorporates the same multiplayer like before except with the new fluid game play features making it feel more action packed than before and engaging. Its worth getting if you love the gears multiplayer because it is great, but if like me, you love the story then don't hold your breath, you'll die. In conclusion, judgement was a nice idea it was just done wrong. The developers attempted to try something new which is fair enough, however it seems like they attempted to fix something which was not broken and instead have just made a mess. This is fixable, all they need to do is return to before, maybe introduce some new characters like Barrick to keep it fresh but don't change THE STORY FORMULA! Positives:
    +Good multiplayer, fun and fluid
    +Good game play adjustments
    +Fun customization
    +Aftermath is fun

Negatives:
    -Aftermath is too short
    -Dialogue is fairly bland
    -Judgement is too segmented
    - Feels more of an arcade experience than a gears game.
    -No boss fight-That SUCKS BTW!
    -Too colourful-looks too pretty
  21. Apr 14, 2013
    complete waste of 60 dollars. 4 maps for multiplayer? the campaign story is garbage, hit detection like always, characters, no active reload, no downs, no executions,2 piece is back, cog vs cog? no locust, the list never ends.... its exactly what a gears fan doesnt want.. EPIC games you are anything but epic... youre an epic FAIL.....
  22. Apr 25, 2013
    Being a huge fan of both the Aliens and Gears of War franchises, 2013 has been a terrible year for gaming for me personally. The reason people still play GoW 1 today is because of the competitive multiplayer, not because of the campaign or the well written story; the success or failure of GoW games has always been determined by the multiplayer. Which is why GoW judgement is such aBeing a huge fan of both the Aliens and Gears of War franchises, 2013 has been a terrible year for gaming for me personally. The reason people still play GoW 1 today is because of the competitive multiplayer, not because of the campaign or the well written story; the success or failure of GoW games has always been determined by the multiplayer. Which is why GoW judgement is such a disappointment to me that it actually makes me angry. It's so glaringly obvious that people can fly tried to make judgement like call of duty, for example: the shotgun doing next to zero damage, the fact that you cannot down enemies in multiplayer (if anyone mentions overrun i'm going to scream) and the introduction of the Free For All playlist which feels out of place. "Domination" is another shining example of this, why not just stick to the class annex or king of the hill which was successful in previous games? Because Call of Duty had domination so now Gears has to have it, ridiculous, so insulting as a avid Gears of War fan. Another point which I feel I should make is the crosshair. Its not permanently fixed into the middle of your screen in single player which is the way it is meant to be, but because some other successful shooter had it (wonder what it could be) now gears has to have it, because for SOME reason it must appeal to the "casual" gamer and totally rebuff the hardcore fans of the series; the fans who put the game where it is today. I know this review seems scathing and perhaps overly critical but thats only because I absolutely LOVED GoW1 and GoW3 multiplayer and playing judgement just feels like a third person CoD. In conclusion if you are a hardcore gears fan stay away from this game, if you like CoD then keep playing it because this game will offer you nothing that the newest installment of CoD cant. So very disappointed. Expand
  23. May 4, 2013
    lol the ppl posting 9s and 10s to "combat" the low reviews,
    I will give it a 1 then, so as to combat all you Epic fanboys, note, I am with Epic since UT2k3, but this?
    This was a money grab, no effort, greed, pure n simple, its bot city in MP, no comparing G3 to this, It is a blatant step backwards. Epic really took a big dump on its fanbase this time, (B)ad PR, (B)ad design choices,
    lol the ppl posting 9s and 10s to "combat" the low reviews,
    It is a blatant step backwards.

Epic really took a big dump on its fanbase this time, (B)ad PR, (B)ad design choices, just (B)ad!
  24. May 26, 2013
    Another case of a great franchise ending with a game that's very disappointing. The original controls from previous GoW titles were changed for Judgement, it all fell apart. The weapon selection is f***ed up, no Horde mode, and the story is just plain forgettable. Iv'e been a fan of GoW since Gears of War 1 and Gears of War 2 was my all time favorite, same with 3, but Judgement is just aAnother case of a great franchise ending with a game that's very disappointing. The original controls from previous GoW titles were changed for Judgement, it all fell apart. The weapon selection is f***ed up, no Horde mode, and the story is just plain forgettable. Iv'e been a fan of GoW since Gears of War 1 and Gears of War 2 was my all time favorite, same with 3, but Judgement is just a complete waste of time and money.
    Gears of War Judgement is guilty for ruining a great franchise and sentenced to game prison for its entire lifetime.
  25. Jul 23, 2013
    I am not normally a person that likes to complain about games check my reviews most of my reviews are positive but this game is just terrible i have known die hard fans of the series that have given up on playing gears of war altogether after playing this so do not buy this game trust me if you want a gears of war then get gears of war but not this one
  26. Jul 18, 2013
    This Game took everything i loved about all the previous Gears of War It annoys me that this may of destroyed the franchise They made it like Call of Duty Style and it makes me Sick.
    The Games Campaign was ok but was a little cheesy id give it a 6 out of 10.
    Multi Player Was horrific and boring Call of Duty Style 2/10.
    Do not buy this game go play Gears of War 3
  27. Mar 21, 2013
    I went into this game with average expectations based on some of the reviews, but what i found on the multiplayer side of things was worse than I thought. First off let me state that I am a huge Gears fan, it is probably my favorite franchise this gen. When I hopped online in Judgment it didnt even feel like I was playing Gears of War. The removal of DBNO, no locust, only one main weapon,I went into this game with average expectations based on some of the reviews, but what i found on the multiplayer side of things was worse than I thought. First off let me state that I am a huge Gears fan, it is probably my favorite franchise this gen. When I hopped online in Judgment it didnt even feel like I was playing Gears of War. The removal of DBNO, no locust, only one main weapon, starting out with grenades, and all these juvenile armor skins just made me dislike this game. The multiplayer feels nothing like traditional Gears and maybe that is because they took out everything that made it unique in the first place. I have played around 40 or so matches and I havent had that much fun at all. The online right now is littered with people camping with the Markza because of the newly designed verticality, the Gnasher is very weak, and the aiming in general feels off compared to Gears 3. Also the maps in my opinion are bad. The non-symmetrical layout doesn't play well and I miss the symmetrical layouts all prior Gears games had. One other major problem I have is without locust you cannot tell if the person behind you is a teammate or an enemy. I cannot count how many times baird is yelling behind me and i think it is a teammate only to find out it wasn't and I get retro stabbed. It is too confusing at times having all these cog run around. Also ONLY 4 MAPS! How can you possibly only have 4 maps at launch and think your hardcore fans would be okay with that, its ridiculous. Also the lack of characters is inexcusable as well, and most of the gun camos you have to purchase. I personally hate all the gun and skin camos, i think they make a game feel to arcadey and childish. Overrun though, is a great addition. I have had quite a bit of fun with my friends on this but it might get stale after awhile because it only has 4 maps as well. The campaign isnt great but it isnt bad. It has some cool new additions like declassified missions but these also can ruin the flow of the narrative a little bit. Overall the campaign is solid but lacks on the story side of things, but it will keep you entertained for the 6-8 hours it takes you. Also the additional aftermath campaign is a nice addition. Overall I just feel they dropped the ball on this game. It is by no means unplayable, but in the Gears universe i feel like it strayed too far from what made it unique. It loses some of that appeal for me and I just hope they mae another Gears for next gen that will feel more like prior Gears games. Expand
  28. Mar 25, 2013
    Mmmmm. What happened here. The Gears trilogy was a fantastic experience. Meaty shooting and an excellent cover system. Something is just not right with this new Gears and I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe the way the story is told. Each chapter is broken into 'mini' chapters which really break up the narrative. It turns into simply shoot for a few moments and then walk to theMmmmm. What happened here. The Gears trilogy was a fantastic experience. Meaty shooting and an excellent cover system. Something is just not right with this new Gears and I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe the way the story is told. Each chapter is broken into 'mini' chapters which really break up the narrative. It turns into simply shoot for a few moments and then walk to the checkpoint and get your score. I'm really not liking this game at the moment. I'll finish it, but I'm not getting a Gears experience like it did with the previous games. Expand
  29. Mar 25, 2013
    When "Gears of War: Judgment" does what the previous games does, it does it worse. And when it does something new, it feels out of place. If feels like an in and out Gears game for most of the time, but everything feels like it's one big Gears of War 3 DLC. Nothing fresh, nothing for the better, nothing interresting.
  30. Apr 2, 2013
    -Campaign review-
    The rest of the review is for the multiplayer but I gave the campaign a try and here's my review.
    So far iv really been enjoying the campaign. I hated gears 3 story, didn't find it interesting at all but something is different in this one. For some reason almost everything missing from multiplayer is in the single player. You can tag walls with grenades, execute
    -Campaign review-
    You can tag walls with grenades, execute locust, damage boost from drive reload which is all great and I hope they add this stuff back online.
    So far iv played a few missions and for the most part iv liked them, but they are very very repedative. It seems they have added a horde type segment to each mission where you have to hold off the locust for a few waves which brings back good memories.
    I also very much like these declassified missions which are a extra challenge to each extra xp, for example can only use pistoles, or the map is filled with smoke and you can't see well.
    Another thing I like is the voice acting. It reminds me of max Payne 3 for some reason. How your playing and you character is taking in the background. The whole story is kind of weird and cool. Your playing memories and telling the leader of the cog what you did during your mission Ina court since your team disobeyed orders or something. It's new, and and I like how different missions you play as different characters which give a cool insight to your squad.
    Overall it's really good and I like it a lot. Took me 6-8 hours to beat(can't really remember exact time)

-Aftermath review-
    Anyone who doesn't know aftermath is an additional mission that takes place during gears of war 3. Sounds great, but it doesn't feel like gears 3. New weapons and enemies that are in judgment campaign are in aftermath which is really stupid. But you will see some old locust though. Well after math isn't long, took me about an hour to beat,

-Multiplayer review-
    I have been really excited for this game for a while. I loved gears 2 and 3 but this game isn't the same at all.
    I guess epic thought since it was a prequel you can take out basically everything that gears is and restart. Well that doesn't work
    First I will list what they took out or changed from gears 3.

-active reloads no longer give your bullets more damage if you hit it at the right time-
    this was a great thing in the gears franchise. I loved active reload. It was unlike anything in any other games so why take it out?

-no more rifle-shotgun duo-
    maybe this is for the better but I don't know. I did like having a shotgun and a rifle in the same set up. When your far away use a rifle, when your up close whip out the shotty but it was overpowered. I won't ever use a shotty anymore

-limited character selection-
    You start off with 4 characters to use online, and can only unlock 5 others! So only 9 fricken characters to choose from?

-no more mandatory winding up grenades-
    Why the heck would you take this out?

-spawn with frag grenades-
    This isn't call of duty! You shouldn't spawn with frags!

-maps are so congested and small now-
    I loved the style of gears 3 maps but these maps are not good. Way too many narrow hallways and alleys.
    Also there's a map where you fly around the map in a fricken helicopter shooting a mini gun. Who thought this was a good idea?

-no more reviving team mates-
    Yup, you no longer fall to the ground and bleed out or get revived. You die automatically.

-only three fricken game modes and four maps!
    Team deathmatch, domination and deathmatch and 4 multiplayer maps! That's it! What the heck!

-no more sticking grenades to walls-
    Why take this out? I used to get tons of kills with doing this.

-Environment weapons are overpowered-
    Can use rifles and shotguns while hiding behind boom shields? Please tell me how that's fair?

-no more locust vs humans-
    Why? Just why? I don't want to kill humans. The whole gears of war franchise is based on gears vs locust!! -it's nothing new- Besides a few new guns, there's really nothing new at all. Heck even the fricken menu layout is exactly the same, the awards and ribbon system is exactly the same as well. To me it feels like epic doesn't care what gears fans like or wanted. It really feels like they wanted to please call of duty fans, and make it more like cod. It's sad to say but it's true. Graphics-8/10 Some people say it looks a ton better than gears3 but it really doesn't. Gameplay-7.5 They changed gears so much that it doesn't play like gears any more, Sound-7.5/10 Everything sounds exactly the same as gears 3. Multiplayer-6/19 Limited modes and reduced functions make online a lot less fun and competitive like older gears were. Campaign-8/10 Maybe the saving grace of the game. I really loved it and thought it was special. Overall-6 Its just not true to its roots. It's just plain boring and it already feels old since there's only 4 maps online, and all the features we have come to love are all missing
  31. Mar 23, 2013
    I though this Gears game was a lot more fluid than previous games. The mechanics to me seemed smoother and for once in multiplayer when I actually shot people they died. Which didn't happen a lot in other Gears games if you used a Lancer. Overall I was a bit shocked to see such low scores. The single player campaign narrative wasn't my style, just get on with it. But the new weaponsI though this Gears game was a lot more fluid than previous games. The mechanics to me seemed smoother and for once in multiplayer when I actually shot people they died. Which didn't happen a lot in other Gears games if you used a Lancer. Overall I was a bit shocked to see such low scores. The single player campaign narrative wasn't my style, just get on with it. But the new weapons seemed to fit, I thought they might seem out of place with it being a prequel. The Declassified missions seemed more like a gimmick than anything, but does add a bit of replay value to a mission. I think they have done a good job overall in making the game flow a lot better. Collapse

1. May 9, 2013
    It's Gears 3, minus pacing and ambition. It's still fantastically enjoyable, but it's easily the least interesting Gears game. [June 2013, p.64]
  2. May 7, 2013
    Judgment shows that the People Can Fly team knows its way around triple-A titles. They managed to squeeze a lot out of Unreal Engine 3 – the game looks great even compared to Crysis 3, which set new standards in terms of visuals, also on consoles. And when the technology restrained them, they creatively found a way around limitations. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.60]
  3. Apr 21, 2013
    Judgment feels a bit like an excuse to provide the Xbox 360 with one last first-party game for what is likely to be its final year as Microsoft’s flagship game platform.