5.3

1. Dec 19, 2014
    I hesitated to play this one, because all the flame and bad reviews it got. I must say, I agree, but not with the user score but with Critic's on this one.
    1) Graphic - Great. One of the best on X360, and as to be expected this is one of the best looking games on Unreal engine. 9/10
    2) Sound - nothing new from previous instalments, just good. 7/10 3) Story - actually for a shooter it
    2) Sound - nothing new from previous instalments, just good. 7/10
    3) Story - actually for a shooter it has really great story (i started Serious sam 3 right after this - cant complain :D) Campaign is also perfectly timed, It ended just before it started to bore me (I hate when games drag too long, I like to finish them but sometimes I want to throw up when I think that game should end 5 hours earlier f.e. Uncharted 2, GTA 4, Dead Space 2 - cool games but enough is enough) 8/10
    4) Gameplay - im giving judgement only based on single player campaign - great. I actually had more fun than in GOW 1 and GOW 3. Its my second best (if not as good as GOW2) instalment of the series. 9/10

Overall - 9/10
    Dont read those bad reviews, if you didnt played GOW games for a long time (like me) or didnt played this games at all (even better) there is big chance that Youll love this game, just like me. And You can buy it really cheap now.
  2. Sep 18, 2014
    This is a fun game. It's a nice change of pace from the previous Gears of War games and as much as I love the series this one stands out a bit different then the other games. If you like the other Gears games I highly recommend this to you.
  3. Sep 15, 2014
    Okay, where to begin. Let's start with the severely flawed gameplay features. First of all, no down-but-not-out. Now, when you're riddled with bullets, you're just dead 9 times out of 10, depending on the circumstances. In Overrun, for instance, you're dead, but can be revived by a medic with "stim grenades", (which to me is kind of ridiculous, just because it feels ridiculous, but that'sOkay, where to begin. Let's start with the severely flawed gameplay features. First of all, no down-but-not-out. Now, when you're riddled with bullets, you're just dead 9 times out of 10, depending on the circumstances. In Overrun, for instance, you're dead, but can be revived by a medic with "stim grenades", (which to me is kind of ridiculous, just because it feels ridiculous, but that's beside the point) which doesn't make me feel any better about not having DBNO. Next, unless things have changed a good bit since the last time I played multiplayer, you can't grenade tag walls to set traps. I personally enjoyed this feature, as it was a fun way to add some strategy to the game. I also hate that you can't have two primary weapons and a pistol, just two weapons. These weapons can be any weapons mind you, so the developers have apparently decided that your snub pistol is as equally valuable as your gnasher is, which essentially renders the pistols in the game obsolete. I mean who in their right mind is dropping their lancer or hammerburst for a snub or boltok, unless they're showing off of course. I also disliked the reworking of the controls. Now this part may be a bit nit-picky, but the control scheme feels too generic now, like Call of Duty or Battlefield instead of Gears. It just feels wrong to play for veterans of the series. Which brings us to another disappointment to veterans. Remember how much you loved horde and beast mode? Well they're gone. But you've heard about overrun, right? Their shiny, new successor? Yeah. It falls way short of expectations. It's all kinds of fun, don't get me wrong, but it's no horde. And survival was just a disappointing, stripped down mode in general. And as if the lack of modes wasn't bad enough, the multiplayer is made laughable by humans fighting humans. So now if you want to play versus, it's red Marcus versus blue Marcus. If you want to play as a Locust, move along to overrun. On top of that, the sheer shortage of even human characters to play as was severely disappointing after the previous game's copious offerings. And then there's the addition of "character skins". Look, if people want to play CoD and shell out their hard earned cash for useless DLC, be my guest, but I've thought the idea of weapon skins in Gears was ridiculous since 3, and the addition of skins for your character such as "bee", "bacon", "candy cane", and "clown" is in direct contrast to how gritty and brutal Gears feels and is supposed to feel. The lack of active reloading could be overlooked, but I feel like the game is missing a staple action each time I reload now. Oh. And one more fun fact. Vets. Remember how in Gears 1 you could melee somebody, then blow them apart with a shotgun because it took you absolutely no time to recover? Well that's back! Thank goodness that never got old and abused! Now on to the positive aspects. I liked how fluid the movement felt, and how you could jump from high ledges now. It just felt really cool. What little multiplayer there is feels fun to play if you can ignore the fact that you just blew your own character's head off while he was dressed up in what looked like a Halloween outfit. The story itself, while unnecessary since we kind of knew the general details, was really fun, and I liked the addition of "bonus missions", so to speak, to reveal more details about what happened. The extra challenge was always welcome. I also liked how the focus was set on Baird and Cole, even though I sorta missed seeing Marcus and Dom, the series's staple protagonists. In short, this game isn't all bad. It's a big let-down to me as a veteran of the series, but as a starting point, I could see how it might not be awful. That said, it's worth playing if you're a hardcore fan of the series for the story alone if you can get it without paying too much. Just try to ignore how awkward and limited things feel at first and you might get used to it. Here's hoping that the next title in the series feels less like a stripped down Gears game trying to imitate Call of Duty and more like the bonafide, gritty, entrancing series we all know and love. Expand
  4. Aug 11, 2014
    I really liked the first 3 gears of war games, but this one seemed like a cheap cash grab. The mechanics and gameplay is similar to the others, so in that aspect it's okay, but it seems dull as far as the story, and the fact it's the whole game plays like a survivor mode rather than a story driven game the first three were. move from one area, kill a few waves, move to another kill a fewI really liked the first 3 gears of war games, but this one seemed like a cheap cash grab. The mechanics and gameplay is similar to the others, so in that aspect it's okay, but it seems dull as far as the story, and the fact it's the whole game plays like a survivor mode rather than a story driven game the first three were. move from one area, kill a few waves, move to another kill a few waves. A definite step back from the others. Expand
  5. Aug 1, 2014
    the campaign is poor because the story is not that good and disappointing .. AND MULTIPLAYER is good but not great .. gears 3 is better and gears 1 is alot better then all of the series
  6. Jul 31, 2014
    this game messed up the the series how do u take baird and marcus and have them arrested ive played it sucks campiagn there was not even characthers from 3 microsoft should had never bought gears of war they ruined it they should had left it with ubisoft and epic games and whos the new commander that dude just poped in and punched baired when he was saluting him i mean they took out sothis game messed up the the series how do u take baird and marcus and have them arrested ive played it sucks campiagn there was not even characthers from 3 microsoft should had never bought gears of war they ruined it they should had left it with ubisoft and epic games and whos the new commander that dude just poped in and punched baired when he was saluting him i mean they took out so much from versus dont get me wrong i love gears of war but jugement ruined it Expand
  7. Jul 30, 2014
    This is by far the most disappointing entry in the Gears of War franchise. Why they decided to make this is beyond my question, but when you change nearly everything from game play to the heart and tone of the classics, that just shows that this is a cheap cash grab, for people that adore the crappy CoD games and have no idea what Gears of War is about to buy or squeeze a little bit moreThis is by far the most disappointing entry in the Gears of War franchise. Why they decided to make this is beyond my question, but when you change nearly everything from game play to the heart and tone of the classics, that just shows that this is a cheap cash grab, for people that adore the crappy CoD games and have no idea what Gears of War is about to buy or squeeze a little bit more money from it's adored predecessors. There are a few nice things in it though, like playing as Baird. Story wise, this was average at best, but multiplayer and combat was BUTCHERED! Instead of keeping the beautiful combat system like in 2, they have to dumb it down for idiots to understand. STOP IT! This game, is pointless, with a boring story, with no soul like the classics, and while the graphics might be the best in the series, graphics don't count in my opinion. This is a 3 at best, and they should have stopped at number 2. Expand
  8. Jul 8, 2014
    Gears of War: Judgement is not a game to be dismissed as bad. In fact, it has the same level of polish and good gameplay of previous games. I also like some of the changes, such as the addition of the Declassified segments. The game, however, feels way to similar to prior games, which may upset many.
  9. Jun 23, 2014
    Day One Return to gamespot. I was extremely disappointed in this game. The Co-op has all but been removed, everyone gets grenades at the start? When did this game turn into a poorly-made 3rd person Call of Duty? The risk of picking up weapons is non-existent, the locust are gone in exchange for a customization option? Really? I Hope Black Tusk can fix it up in the sequel.
  10. May 19, 2014
    A failure of an extension to the GoW universe. They tried balancing out the weapons and mechanics but ultimately failed. A mixed stance on the balancing act is the Gnasher. It was nerfed to punish the community for relying too much on it. Instead of playing the game in the way it was originally intended to be, the community ruined the games itself. They kicked back the active reload sinceA failure of an extension to the GoW universe. They tried balancing out the weapons and mechanics but ultimately failed. A mixed stance on the balancing act is the Gnasher. It was nerfed to punish the community for relying too much on it. Instead of playing the game in the way it was originally intended to be, the community ruined the games itself. They kicked back the active reload since most people would drain their first clip in the beginning of the match so they could active reload for the buffs and weapon load-out is limited to two weapons along with grenades.
    There are only 4 agreeable changes among the countless others. They shelved executions and the D.B.N.O system (which speed up matches and respawning but the game loses it's violent grandeur because of the exclusions.) Teamwork and tactics are virtually nonexistent.
    Another tough subject is sensitivity. In most games, sensitivity increases the speed of button input recognition. That's not the case in GoW. Sensitivity directly impacts the speed your character moves at and performs actions with. The defaults make you an unwieldy tank but ratchet it up, and you're a blur of hulking muscle. With high sensitivity, you can quickscope like it's frickin' CoD. It 's an overpowered hidden mechanic that matches generally hinge on.
    I could care less about the story since you have General Not-RAAM running around on a flying Corpser. The new (or should I say old? This is a prequel after all.) don't change the pace that much. Muliplayer is like watered-downed vodka. Sure, it's easier to swallow but you feel like you're missing something. Just rent it.
  11. May 8, 2014
    This is a truly fantastic instalment that managed to meet my high expectations. Taking all the elements that made GOW3 great and pushing it even further. The levels are just stunning and some of the best Iooking yet seen in GOW. There's loads of room for different tactics and experimentation and good variety in the mission structures. I liked the star system alot, as it made coming back toThis is a truly fantastic instalment that managed to meet my high expectations. Taking all the elements that made GOW3 great and pushing it even further. The levels are just stunning and some of the best Iooking yet seen in GOW. There's loads of room for different tactics and experimentation and good variety in the mission structures. I liked the star system alot, as it made coming back to the game very compelling in an old school 'gotta get a perfect score' way. People Can Fly have demonstrated they were the right studio to work alongside Epic. Expand
  12. Apr 8, 2014
    Tengo que decir que es el peor GoW, cambian muchas cosas, por ejemplo los comandos, la mecanica del juego y de llevar un arma principal, eso si el juego tal parece que ha sido desarrollado para ser mas arcade, viendo los movimientos de los personajes, lo compre por su modo multijugador y ni de eso se salva. Un GoW debil con respecto a sus antecesores.
  13. Jan 25, 2014
    As a gears of war love this is the worst piece of **** I have ever played. Nothing but a **** cash grab. Would give a -1 score if possible............
  14. Jan 21, 2014
    This game is a huge disappointment, but it's not a crime against humanity like most Gears of War fans seem to believe. It has it's highs and lows, and when it does something well, it's sure to amaze. On the other side of the spectrum, there are sadly a lot of bad things to this game as well, and these will surely be a major deterrent.

Let's start with the bad. The game does not have a

Let's start with the bad. The game does not have a traditional campaign mode like we Gears fans have come to expect/treasure, and it's also pitifully/mercifully short. The new characters are terrible and poorly fleshed out, and Baird and Cole share absolutely no banter. During firefights, you're squad does not shout anything or joke around like they used to. Also, the multiplayer is downright pitiful, a disgrace to the Gears of War franchise, with only 4 maps, and it's all human v. human. That being said, the new survival mode is a welcome addition, but this mode also replaces the much beloved Horde Mode, which was a major selling point in the series.

Now for the good. This game has stellar graphics, some of the best we've seen on the Xbox 360. Also, the A.I. is amazing and this game provides some of the best gameplay in the series. Also, the second campaign, Aftermath, is a fresh, fantastic, and welcome addition.

But that being said, this game is overall a mediocre experience, lacking the heart that drove the rest of the series forward into glory.
  15. Jan 4, 2014
    I played the entire game you play as Baird from the last gears of war games you also get to play as cole and 2 new characters. The story is not as good as the last 3 games the story mode is about 8 hours. I played the full game in one sit down. The story don't drag you in like the previous 3 installments. The game has multiplayer but them taking the locust out of the multiplayer tool allI played the entire game you play as Baird from the last gears of war games you also get to play as cole and 2 new characters. The story is not as good as the last 3 games the story mode is about 8 hours. I played the full game in one sit down. The story don't drag you in like the previous 3 installments. The game has multiplayer but them taking the locust out of the multiplayer tool all the fun out and also how you can only have 2 guns but that dose not mean you'll still have fun in the multiplayer it's still fun but if you played the MP on the past 3 games you'll have to learn Judgment multiplayer. If you don't have Xbox Live you can play Multiplayer bots which is still very fun. It has a sorta bland story the MP is not as fun as before but it's still a very fun game i i give it a 8/10 Expand
  16. Dec 13, 2013
    This game is obviously the best gears released so far. I do not think the single player is anything special but for gears I never have, but I can play the multiplayer for hours at a time. This is simply one of my favorite games and if the single player kept my attention it would have got a 10
  17. Nov 25, 2013
    This is my opinion of judgement. I'm a gears fan (rank 400 in GOW3). I have been playing judgement since day 1 and I think that it is the best game in the series overall. below is a list of pros (how its better then past gears and cons (how its worst)
    Pros:
    1. Graphics are by far the best in the series 2. Characters can now can equip skins (over 100+ character and skin combinations
    Pros:
    1. Graphics are by far the best in the series
    2. Characters can now can equip skins (over 100+ character and skin combinations without d.l.c)
    3. Declassified missions are now available in campaign
    4. Weapon balance is by far the best in the series
    5. Bigger better and much more detailed maps despite the limited number (5 versus and 5 overunn counting DREADNOUGHT and HAVEN)
    6. Fun new weapons each adding a new twist to gears gameplay
    7. Gears gameplay is still the same at its core (you don't die in 2 shots like in C.O.D)
    8. Some of the best d.l.c available in gears history (in my opinion)
    9. Execution is available through an update
    10. Overunn and survival make up for lack of horde
    11. It's only 20$ new at gamestop now
    Cons:
    1. Both the developer and the majority of fans have given up on this game in many respects (it is still playable online and finding a match is easy enough)
    2. Lack of familiar game modes such as warzone and capture the leader
    3. Less characters (no carmines)
    4. The games few problems will most likely never be patched (most of these issues are opinion based and weapon balance is still really great)
    5. Less interesting story (but aftermath feels like gears 3)
    6. Gears has never had the nicest fanbase (lots of t-bagging and taunters but most games have those issues)
    7. Slightly confusing weapon customazation sawed-off can only be used with lancer, stim gas grenades are only available in free for all, the booshka can not be selected in any modes but overunn/survival but can still be customized with a weapon skin)
    As far as pros and cons that's all I could think of at time of writing overall despite the generally negative reviews by FANS judgement is quite polished (rarely lags with good connection) and well designed and since its only around 20$ its a worth while buy. Also most of the bigger problems that plagued the game at launch have been fixed the biggest current problem is lack of players (usually only around 1000 online at any given time).
  18. Nov 19, 2013
    I would go into a novel of a review like I did with Halo 4 but this game doesn't even deserve that much.

Do not buy this game and if you have then use it to go towards a trade in for a game that really cares about its core players. If you like Horde then don't bother with it. Many are already disappointed by this game and I am as well. This game is just Epic trying to earn extra

This game is just Epic trying to earn extra bucks for a popular series.
    Don't get me wrong I really love all gears of war games, but this one is garbage.
    The story sucks. And so does the MP.

This game does not deserve the title "gears of war" it more deserves to be called "The adventures of Baird and friends".

I wasted alot of time on this game that I'm never going to get back. Thanks for selling the fans a game that should've been a DLC for the first gears and the Aftermath story to be a DLC for Gears 3.

Way to come out with a Leaky Garbage Xbox Exclusive before the Next Gen Consoles arrive Epic!
  19. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Nice lighting, good character models, detailed looking environments, but minor anti-aliasing. 9.5.

Sound: Voice acting is good, traditional gears themes, traditional gun sounds. No issues with sound. 10. Gameplay: The single player is broken down into sections with some mechanics feeling similar to a horde mode. The gameplay mechanics are similar to previous gears

Gameplay: The single player is broken down into sections with some mechanics feeling similar to a horde mode. The gameplay mechanics are similar to previous gears games although the controls have been revamped. The new controls feel great, and the multiplayer feels faster paced. The VS mode is familiar with previous gears but with some tweaks. New game modes such as Overrun and Free for all are new to the gears series, and are actually a lot of fun. The game also adds an aftermath mode to the game’s campaign which feels more like traditional gears rather than the judgment campaign. Even with the judgment campaign feeling like sections after section the game is actually challenging. Probably the most challenging single player in any gears game. There are new declassified modes in the judgment campaign that make it the most challenging. Fans are disappointed this time around because there’s no horde mode although there’s a survival mode, but while it is a fresh take, it’s not as revolutionary as horde mode was. 9.0

Story: The judgment campaign is a prequel in the gears series, and is told through testimonies from each character. The aftermath campaign takes place during gears 3 and is actually a good bonus. The story telling isn’t any amazing, but it’s just plain simple. No good plot twist, just a story progressing forward, with a seeable ending. 7.5.

Replay Value: Tons of modes, definitely another gears game with replay value. The single player is short, but there’s a bonus aftermath mode, the multiplayer is never ending. Still, there’s not enough maps for modes like Overrun, or Versus, Epic made a bad decision, but future DLC packs will add more. 9.0.

Overall Score: 9 out of 10.
  20. Nov 11, 2013
    I've played Gears of War since its original release day in 2006. I'm a big fan of the series and its high octane gore filled action. Gears Judgement is a solid entry in the franchise albeit a little underwhelming. The changes to the control scheme are well done and fit right in with the Gears series. The entire time i played this game i never felt for a second like i wasnt playing a GearsI've played Gears of War since its original release day in 2006. I'm a big fan of the series and its high octane gore filled action. Gears Judgement is a solid entry in the franchise albeit a little underwhelming. The changes to the control scheme are well done and fit right in with the Gears series. The entire time i played this game i never felt for a second like i wasnt playing a Gears of War game so i'll say People Can Fly did a fantastic job with keeping the feel and action on par with the rest of the series. However id say this is the weakest game in the series. Its story just feels half baked and tacked on some how even though its supposed to be a big part of the game. I did like the challenges with each mission but i didnt like the constant stopping and grading the game did. I like being able to see what kinds of kills i got such as a head shot or a grenade kill but i dont like the constant stop and play cycle that goes along with the campaign's structure. All in the all i enjoyed the story it was pretty good but seemed very short and disjointed. The iconic characters return to much success and are just as strong and awesome as always with some good new additions. The multiplayer is very much Gears and is as solid as ever with every offering you could imagine. The MP has evolved a little bit but not much has changed but just enough to keep it fresh. The graphics are as always high standard and the controls are as tight as can be. The gameplay and action never cease to amaze but with the constant slow downs from transitions in the singleplayer i found it to be a little less exciting as the original trilogy. The co-op options and multiplayer options are filled to the brim and with new unlockables and customization options i have a hard time finding a lot of complain about. But all in all this is just another gears game. Its well done but its definatly the weakest Gears. That being said its still worth a buy, maybe at a discounted price but certainly worth the time and money. 8/10 Expand
  21. Oct 18, 2013
    Gears of war Judgement is a good game. but its very medicre compared with the original trilogy
    I mean,Gears of war trilogy has an excelent story and deep characters
    judgement is very dry
  22. Sep 1, 2013
    We all know gears players aren't here for the story, but gears has Epic has always delivered on that front by some chance. This game delivers on no fronts. The story is bland at best. There is one boss battle and it was literally the worst one in video game history. All you have to do is strafe around and occasionally take cover( Even on Insane). They junked horde and added Overrun.We all know gears players aren't here for the story, but gears has Epic has always delivered on that front by some chance. This game delivers on no fronts. The story is bland at best. There is one boss battle and it was literally the worst one in video game history. All you have to do is strafe around and occasionally take cover( Even on Insane). They junked horde and added Overrun. Overrun is been broken since the demo/beta and has no appeal. The sad part is you can still play the Demo too. Survival is overrun, but your CoG? Why not just give us Horde? Multiplayer was the reason a majority of people bought this game, and it was terrible. There is only 4 maps for it, that doesn't get boring soon does it? The DLC was OK. Gears of War 3 is better in every single aspect of the Game. Why do you think Cliffy B and Rod left Epic huh? This game isn't worth the box it sits in collecting dust. Expand
  23. Sep 1, 2013
    Gears of War: Judgement tells the story of Baird and his team, as they are tried for acts of treason against the COG. Judgement's campaign hardly tells a story worth paying any attention to. Instead the campaign throws different combat scenarios at you telling how Kilo squad made it through the fight. If you decide not the do these scenarios, then I would suggest not playing the campaignGears of War: Judgement tells the story of Baird and his team, as they are tried for acts of treason against the COG. Judgement's campaign hardly tells a story worth paying any attention to. Instead the campaign throws different combat scenarios at you telling how Kilo squad made it through the fight. If you decide not the do these scenarios, then I would suggest not playing the campaign because they are the soul reason it is worth playing. The game play has been improved, it is smoother and faster. Team deathmatch and other modes returns to judgement and all are fine. But the new modes free-for-all and overrun modes are definitely good additions. After you complete the campaign a new mode unlocks called Aftermath which is from Gears of War 3. You play as Baird, and it feels more like Gears of War 3 with all of the refinements of Judgement. Gears of War: Judgement feels like it was rushed out so there was one more Gears game out this generation. It has a lot of good things from the series but the things it tries to do new, fall short. Expand
  24. Aug 26, 2013
    Disappointed isn't the word! I have been a massive gears fan since day 1 and gears 1 was a huge contributing factor towards why I bought my 360. I saw the adverts and Press releases for judgement and I was excited about the New addition to the franchise, Oh how wrong I was!
    Everything that was good about gears has gone! DBNO, Active Reloads, Grenade tagging, meat shields, executions, unable to play as locusts, Clutching in multiplayer......... Need I go on? And instead they have added some terrible features that I honestly can't understand how anyone could like. Stim gas WTF! Jumping off buildings WTF! First to 50 in TDM WTF! Again need I go on? It's terrible just terrible. If you are a real die hard gears fan avoid this game like the plague. It's Crap! 4/10 coz the multiplayer is average and has a slight resemblance to gears of war. :0(
  25. Aug 19, 2013
    This game doesn't even deserve 1 star,it sucks period. It's so primitive and takes away all the nostalgic feel and elements of the gears trilogy. You'll leave after playing this game more frustrated than happy,it has no fun factor,it's terrible. Even if this game was free,I'd take it just to burn it...people can fly needs to be fired,and epic needs to get their together if they want toThis game doesn't even deserve 1 star,it sucks period. It's so primitive and takes away all the nostalgic feel and elements of the gears trilogy. You'll leave after playing this game more frustrated than happy,it has no fun factor,it's terrible. Even if this game was free,I'd take it just to burn it...people can fly needs to be fired,and epic needs to get their together if they want to ever get themselves out of this ditch. .they should of left gears alone after 3,scrapped judgment and worked on a gears for the XBox One..they failed,miserably. Expand
  26. Aug 19, 2013
    I am a big fan of the Gears games. I enjoyed all of them, until now. There is no emotion in this game, it's just a series of short battles. It seems like a cheap arcade version of GOW 2. This game is crap compared to GOW 2 and 3. Graphics have not improved, almost seem like they took less time with some enemy artwork. Sound is the same. It gets a 5 because it's still a good game andI am a big fan of the Gears games. I enjoyed all of them, until now. There is no emotion in this game, it's just a series of short battles. It seems like a cheap arcade version of GOW 2. This game is crap compared to GOW 2 and 3. Graphics have not improved, almost seem like they took less time with some enemy artwork. Sound is the same. It gets a 5 because it's still a good game and better than a lot of crap out there. You can't get worse with sequels, you have to improve, and this is a big letdown to long time fans. Expand
  27. Aug 18, 2013
    I loved GoW 1, thought GoW 2 was ok and I did not like GoW 3 at all. I actually thought this game was pretty fun. There was nothing new but the game looked really polished and the story was pretty decent. The game is really short 6-8hrs. So I would not recommend buying but this game is a solid rent that could be beaten over a weekend.
  28. Aug 4, 2013
    this is easily the most disappointing i have been in a game this year. everything that was great about gears of war 3 which was most things were missing in judgement. lets start the campaign the game had the potential to expand the characters of baird and cole and also explore the initial stages of the locust attack and the brutality that came with it. The story falls short in every waythis is easily the most disappointing i have been in a game this year. everything that was great about gears of war 3 which was most things were missing in judgement. lets start the campaign the game had the potential to expand the characters of baird and cole and also explore the initial stages of the locust attack and the brutality that came with it. The story falls short in every way and often feels forced. it is really short as there is really nothing going on through the whole story. the addition of the challenges are interesting but not capitalized upon and there is nothing really interesting ever going on with the campaign. it is the only gears of war campaign i have not played twice. don't get me started on the ending as well. possibly the worst villain in videogames never any emotion and im not even sure that there is a line of dialogue from this forgettable character.

as for the multiplayer overrun is fantastic and easily the best mode available in this game. it is deep and satisfying with lots of options and interesting maps and specialties available from each class of character.

regular multiplayer on the other hand is a joke 4 maps. really. after about an hour you have already played every map and also the fact that many of the mechanics that made gears multiplayer so unique have been removed.

and the final nail in the coffin for this game was the removal of horde mode. i feel like this game took a lot of risks yet many of them were not justified and it seems as if this series may now struggle to redeem itself. i still love the how the shooting feels in the campaign and the cover to cover system as been tweaked for the better. The game looks stunning and many of the environments are great to look at but that doesn't make a great game.
  29. Aug 4, 2013
    When you take a franchise like Gears and you make a worse game than your original (Bulletstorm), then you know it's bound to receive worse ratings than it would.

Gears: Judgment is pretty similar to the other GoW, God of War: Ascension. Both prequels, both with kind of a spin-off story, holding up to their predecessors technically and not doing a damn thing to improve that aspect and both as enjoyable as the franchise standard offer. Besides that a couple of cool ideas/weapons/enemies and that's it.

Prequel loss for ideas
    Nonetheless, the story and storytelling to be exact isnt that bad. The idea of the aftermath might have been for a dlc, but all in all it's not bad at all. What's bad is that the campaign has become a non-explorative level/battle to level/battle. And all of this arcade style. I wouldn't mind if they did that on another mode, trying to simplify the levels to match an arcade feeling, but the campaign is hollow now. It's worse than the excellent Gears 3, but stil a quite enjoyable shooter (that lasts only half of the other Gears games durations).

Play Gears 3 again or some other excellent shooter unless you are a hardcore-wannadieforGears fan. Even then, Marcus isn't home...
  30. Aug 3, 2013
    this game is a disgrace to gears of war and is basicly a retarded version of halo I hate the gears of war series because it is a copycat of halo and resident evil
  31. Aug 3, 2013
    Campaign: Awful storyline, awful gameplay and awful tone throughout. I have no idea why people like the campaign. The campaign is just Horde mode- wtf. Gears of war 1 and 2 had the best campaigns. I think the only reason why people like the campaign is because it is fun when playing with friends because it requires more teamwork (Its horde mode) and is more competitive because you now earnCampaign: Awful storyline, awful gameplay and awful tone throughout. I have no idea why people like the campaign. The campaign is just Horde mode- wtf. Gears of war 1 and 2 had the best campaigns. I think the only reason why people like the campaign is because it is fun when playing with friends because it requires more teamwork (Its horde mode) and is more competitive because you now earn points and you want to beat your friends.
    Multiplayer: Couldn't even tell that its gears. They've taken out down but not out (No reviving or executions) which was the trademark of gears. No active reloads, no symmetrical maps, no locust. They've taken everything that belonged to gears and replaced it with COD features. Everyone gets a grenade to start with- its a bloody grenade frenzy. Teamwork is not needed anymore and that to me was what made the game gears of war.
  32. Jul 28, 2013
    They should've just done away with the franchise instead of ruining it with an unnecessary prequel not only based on the same characters, but also strips away almost everything that made Gears of War what it is, the single player is short, flat story, and is a load of crap. More importantly, Gears of War Judgment is horrible; 4 maps, no Locust (seriously) wtf WHY!? how can there be GearsThey should've just done away with the franchise instead of ruining it with an unnecessary prequel not only based on the same characters, but also strips away almost everything that made Gears of War what it is, the single player is short, flat story, and is a load of crap. More importantly, Gears of War Judgment is horrible; 4 maps, no Locust (seriously) wtf WHY!? how can there be Gears of War without Locust in multiplayer? Instead, it's red vs blue cog vs cog multiplayer. There is also no active reloads, IT'S A SKILL THING; active reload gives you a damage boost, so, basically, they must of wanted to make the game easier for bad players, people with no skill even though they can do can do it as well; ANYONE, active reload gives you a damage boost. There is no Execution, no Horde, no King of The Hill, and other missing modes. I hate the reticle always on screen. There is also only 4 game modes: Free For All, Team Deathmatch, Domination and Overrun, oh, and I've heard there IS Warzone after all, but it's hidden in the games code which is NOT funny. Now they have decided to make the game more like everything else as you can only carry 2 weapons and now shotguns are primary, which ruins the game even more. If you die, you are DEAD and cannot be revived, that "down but not out" thing is one of the things that made Gears of War what it is, and it isn't without that. I was speculating about a prequel before they even announced Judgment, and this is not what I wanted, and I did not want the same characters and like any other person, I rightfully did not expect them to take away the Gears experience and turn it into a Call of Duty style game. There's tons of other reasons why this game is so bad, and by what I've just spoken about and other people here, I agree they must of been talking to COD fanboys out there and decided to make the game how they like it as well as wanting to make the game easier for people with a lack of skill or unfamiliar with the game, and don't care about their loyal Gears fans like us. I'm giving this a two because of what they've done to it. And this is also another game that demonstrates that critics can't be trusted with most games out there. Expand
  33. Jul 23, 2013
    I am not normally a person that likes to complain about games check my reviews most of my reviews are positive but this game is just terrible i have known die hard fans of the series that have given up on playing gears of war altogether after playing this so do not buy this game trust me if you want a gears of war then get gears of war but not this one
  34. Jul 18, 2013
    This Game took everything i loved about all the previous Gears of War It annoys me that this may of destroyed the franchise They made it like Call of Duty Style and it makes me Sick.
    The Games Campaign was ok but was a little cheesy id give it a 6 out of 10.
    Multi Player Was horrific and boring Call of Duty Style 2/10.
    Do not buy this game go play Gears of War 3
  35. Jul 15, 2013
    It's awful. It literally took out everything that made Gears of War fun. The only thing they did do good was make a versus Beast Mode. It's got only 4 maps, only a couple game-modes, no Locust, a few characters, damage is inconsistent, etc. (just bad changes overall). They focused WAY too much on skins. I thought the skins were cool in Gears of War 3, and I was happy to hear you could haveIt's awful. It literally took out everything that made Gears of War fun. The only thing they did do good was make a versus Beast Mode. It's got only 4 maps, only a couple game-modes, no Locust, a few characters, damage is inconsistent, etc. (just bad changes overall). They focused WAY too much on skins. I thought the skins were cool in Gears of War 3, and I was happy to hear you could have them on your characters in Judgement, but they handled the skins really bad. It's literally just for them to make money. The only people that can find this fun are people who have never played any of the other games, and are coming from a game like CoD. I normally hate statements like these in other games, but this literally is just CoD in third person with a cover system, better customization, and characters. that's all. Game just sucks. Expand
  36. Jul 11, 2013
    Now they have made the game even worse. They are changing the game as It goes. I just logged in after a month or so cause the game was so boring, to find out now when you pick up ammo you dont recharge your grenades! wtf! one grenade per game? completely change the game mechanics once you get used to them? change the rule of the game in the middle of game play???????????? epic games doentNow they have made the game even worse. They are changing the game as It goes. I just logged in after a month or so cause the game was so boring, to find out now when you pick up ammo you dont recharge your grenades! wtf! one grenade per game? completely change the game mechanics once you get used to them? change the rule of the game in the middle of game play???????????? epic games doent know what the _uck they are doing, they go on pulling to the right, and the a month later to the left. _uck off and get your act together, this game is a joke!!!!!!!!!! ____uck this game is the reason I switched to psp3 the last of us rock great game, no ore epic and microsoft they dont deliver Expand
  37. Jul 9, 2013
    I have played gears of war games since the beginning, and judgment was a complete disgrace in my opinion, and the opinion of many hardcore gears fans like myself. Since the first gears of war, the gnasher shotgun was the weapon of the game and gears was based solely on skill with it. The same followed for gears of war 2 and 3. Now, the campaign for judgment was boring, and had some of theI have played gears of war games since the beginning, and judgment was a complete disgrace in my opinion, and the opinion of many hardcore gears fans like myself. Since the first gears of war, the gnasher shotgun was the weapon of the game and gears was based solely on skill with it. The same followed for gears of war 2 and 3. Now, the campaign for judgment was boring, and had some of the worst and ridiculous storytelling i have ever seen. The horde mode was gone, survival was absolute crap and a waste of time. The multiplayer looked as if it was made by cod players. The gnasher sucked, the weapons in play were lancers, which wouldnt have been as bad if there was a down but not out in the game. taking down but not out out of the series was a ginormous mistake. Spawning with grenades and using primaries with boomshields ruined it even more. The last thing that pushed me over the edge was the fact that the "red team" was not locoust, but cog instead. not only this, but there were only 8 characters to choose from at the least. Expand
  38. Jul 2, 2013
    If you're a fan of Gears of War at all, you will notice a big difference from Judgement to its other very successful predecessors. I did not find the story any where close to engrossing as Gears of War 3 was, the story was comprised of fighting endless waves of enemies and a lot of door kicking. Anyways, lets just say I did not like the story at all. It added a couple new elements such asIf you're a fan of Gears of War at all, you will notice a big difference from Judgement to its other very successful predecessors. I did not find the story any where close to engrossing as Gears of War 3 was, the story was comprised of fighting endless waves of enemies and a lot of door kicking. Anyways, lets just say I did not like the story at all. It added a couple new elements such as mini challenges and a tower defense aspect. Lets move on to the multiplayer, what made Gears of War 3 shine. Once again Judgement does not even meet up to the Gears of War standard we have all set, very few maps and modes. And the only way to get all the new maps of course is to buy a season pass, which I would not recommend. To sum it up, if you're a fan of Gears of War at all and are looking for a new Gears to play don't get this. If you're new to the Gears world and want to shoot stuff and kick doors in, this game is for you, otherwise steer away from this mediocre game. Expand
  39. Jun 24, 2013
    People Can Fly thanks for killing Gears of War, for killing Baird and Cole personalities and for killing multiplayer modes.
    I can't put into words how disappointing this game is. I gave it a chance because I love Gears of War (up to GoW3) I played for a whole month, did campaign in all difficulties, played all multiplayer modes and all I was left with was sadness because thanks to this peace of crap game there might not be any more GoW games. Who would buy a new game after this disaster You people took the spirit of the game and threw it out the window. You suck.
  40. Jun 24, 2013
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooohdhdbfjcjjzjfnbzbxjfnnfjjgghhyytttttttgggtggrgggttttttttrrtyuyytthhhhhhhhggggtgtttyyyyyyyyyyyyyrryyytttttttyvghhhgggghhhrgyyyrhhtthhtyyryhghhhhhggggggggggggvggggyyjjjuuuyyyyytttttttgyyyyyyyyytttttyyyyytgg
  41. Jun 23, 2013
    “Boooom!” shouts the oversized Locust trooper as he fires off another round at COG lieutenant, Damon Baird and the members of Kilo Squad. This is an all-to-familiar site for anyone who has played any of the Gears of War games. Your team is bunkered down in cover, quickly popping-up to fire off a few rounds into a ticker or wretch. There are enemies everywhere, you keep bouncing from one“Boooom!” shouts the oversized Locust trooper as he fires off another round at COG lieutenant, Damon Baird and the members of Kilo Squad. This is an all-to-familiar site for anyone who has played any of the Gears of War games. Your team is bunkered down in cover, quickly popping-up to fire off a few rounds into a ticker or wretch. There are enemies everywhere, you keep bouncing from one spot to another, and the intensity is at 11! It’s Gears, but is not Gears all at the same time. You know how to play and what the story is all about, but some things have changed, have they changed for the better?
    Enter Gears of War: Judgment, the fourth title in the Gears series and a prequel to the original Gears. This time Epic Studios have put developer People Can Fly at the reigns of their beloved franchise. In an effort to appeal to the modern shooter fan they’ve made some minor control changes and some major design changes to the multi-player. The question is, does it make for a better Gears game or will long-time fans not be happy with some of the choices that have been made?

Read the full review at www.GameFan365.com
  42. Jun 22, 2013
    As a longtime fan of the series i didn't immediatly like the changes to the controls and overall feel to the game. Felt less dramatic/real and more "arcadey". But the new declassifed mission mechianic really hooked me, made the game FAR more challenges thus more enjoyabe. Would put you in many different scenarios such as having a 3-4 minute time limit to clear a level or using only certainAs a longtime fan of the series i didn't immediatly like the changes to the controls and overall feel to the game. Felt less dramatic/real and more "arcadey". But the new declassifed mission mechianic really hooked me, made the game FAR more challenges thus more enjoyabe. Would put you in many different scenarios such as having a 3-4 minute time limit to clear a level or using only certain weapons, reducing your ammo or even fighting more/more powerful enemies. The controls didn't take long to get used to, and i definetely noticed the graphical improvements since Gears 3 seeing as you can unlock a mission from gears 3 called aftermath.

Aftermath was fun, brought back a feeling of Gears 1 imo since certain parts were a little creepy. But you definetly can tell the difference in the graphics while playing it, Gears 3 still looks good but Judgment look much better IMO.

Its a good bang for your buck, you get the Judgement campaign, a single mission from gears 3 Aftermath, Survival (kinda like horde) and then multiplayer of course.
  43. Jun 21, 2013
    Gears of War is the game that brought me to the 360. I've played them all, got all the DLC ('Cept for the weapon skins in three, that was crap.) and played them pretty much religiously.

So believe me when I tell you that Judgment is not worth it. Did you like the story of one through three? Judgment basically throws all character interaction out the window in favor of a narrative

So believe me when I tell you that Judgment is not worth it.

Did you like the story of one through three? Judgment basically throws all character interaction out the window in favor of a narrative viewpoint. The characters are lackluster at best, and downright boring at worst. Baird might as well just be a stereotypical action hero rather than his usual sarcastic Cole's complete enthusiasm is so far gone that you forget he's even in the game, and the other two characters occasionally have a funny quip, but apart from that, you'll forget their names by the end of the game. Top that with the fact that the game plays more like an Arcade game than it does Gears with the "declassified missions" in play, and you'll forget it ever happened. Don't even get me started on the lame villain. The "Aftermath" campaign, a bonus mission, contains more story than the actual Campaign.

Did you like the multiplayer of one through three? Down but not out, Human versus Locust, a fair amount of tactic being necessary to figure out where your enemy was and destroy them? The Locust have been removed, DBNO is gone, and with such gems as starting with any grenade you want, including "Spotter" or "Stim" grenades, the multiplayer is so incredibly bad that it's not even worth playing. It's just another Red versus Blue game.

Horde's gone too, in favor of Overrun, which is another 5v5 where one team plays as CoG and the other as Locust classes, the CoG defending an E-Hole and Locust trying to open it for three waves, and Survival, which is basically the same thing, but ten waves and you only play as the CoG.

I could go on all day about why Judgment is a bad game, but just know this. Myself and all my friends were die-hard Gears fans, and not one of us played it for more than two weeks.
  44. Jun 21, 2013
    Absolute franchise killer. I find it ridiculous that metacritic rated it as high as it is. Gears player since Gears of War 1. This game takes everything away from a seasoned veteran player from their previous enjoyment out of the franchise. The reason my review says 2 instead of 0 is because they upgraded the character customization and has an "okay" storyline to the campaign. If you're inAbsolute franchise killer. I find it ridiculous that metacritic rated it as high as it is. Gears player since Gears of War 1. This game takes everything away from a seasoned veteran player from their previous enjoyment out of the franchise. The reason my review says 2 instead of 0 is because they upgraded the character customization and has an "okay" storyline to the campaign. If you're in it for the multiplayer you will be in for a bad time. Expand
  45. Jun 19, 2013
    Gears Of War: Judgment doesn't deserve to be called a game rather than an extremely overpriced DLC. The campaign was extremely short, Survival is nothing like Horde, and multiplayer is awful.

The campaign was the best part about the game. It provided some challenge and it stayed fun with the optional side objectives. I'll give that a 7. Multiplayer has never been Gears' strong side

Multiplayer has never been Gears' strong side and it got even worse here. It was boring, to be exact. 3

Survival and Overrun. They got rid of Horde, the for sure best part of Gears of War 3. No building fortifications or raking in cash and using it strategically. Survival isn't fun I played it twice. Overrun is decent but gets old quick.

Overall 4

Story 7
    Multiplayer 3
    Overrun and Survival 4

You dissapointed me, Epic.
  46. Jun 18, 2013
    Gears of Time-Crisis-Arcade-Machine. Rather disappointing. The heavily arcade-styled campaign removes any sort of immersion within the walls of the game. Accompanying this amongst two-dimensional characters, poor pacing and a series of bland story events, People Can Fly and the Epic brigade have easily created the least inspiring Gears campaign yet. Even the multiplayer fails to save theGears of Time-Crisis-Arcade-Machine. Rather disappointing. The heavily arcade-styled campaign removes any sort of immersion within the walls of the game. Accompanying this amongst two-dimensional characters, poor pacing and a series of bland story events, People Can Fly and the Epic brigade have easily created the least inspiring Gears campaign yet. Even the multiplayer fails to save the shortcomings of the main story. Free For All is often a mess, with very little strategic thinking needed as you parade around the map with your shotgun. Overrun is enjoyable at first, but very quickly loses its entertainment value. It's baffling how most of the fun produced by Gears 3 has disappeared in this latest title. If you're only after the prettiest looking Gears game yet, then Judgment is for you. Otherwise, I'd give this one a miss. Expand
  47. Jun 17, 2013
    This series is getting worse each and every game. Probably the last in series I bought. Pity because that was a good game once!!! Even better because we are all going to PS4 after release anyway.
  48. Jun 12, 2013
    I'm not going to stand here and say this game sucks, because it doesn't. It just lacks... Something. The campaign is pretty fun, just extremely repetitive. Visually outstanding and the sound design is as good as ever. The combat is great, but it needs pacing and brakes. Sure moving through hordes of enemys is fun, it just gets a bit much when you're doing it in the campaign for 8 hours+I'm not going to stand here and say this game sucks, because it doesn't. It just lacks... Something. The campaign is pretty fun, just extremely repetitive. Visually outstanding and the sound design is as good as ever. The combat is great, but it needs pacing and brakes. Sure moving through hordes of enemys is fun, it just gets a bit much when you're doing it in the campaign for 8 hours+ with no brakes. Check point placement could of been better as well. Button lay out is still the best for any xbox shooter game, imo. The new classified missions are a really nice edition and co-op play is where the most fun is to have. Multiplayer feels pretty good, they've added some stuff which makes it feel fresh, although still nothing to keep me interested for too long. I tried my best to play it with an open mind, and it interested me for a while... But all in all, it's just a pretty average game with lots of co-op and long lasting game play. Expand
  49. Jun 3, 2013
    Definitely the worst entry in the series, but it's still a fun experience when played with others. The story and dialogue are laughably bad and the set pieces aren't very interesting. The graphics are also more cartoonish. I like the variety of different modes you can play, but they didn't stop me from trading it back in fairly quickly once I was done.
  50. Jun 2, 2013
    Never been so disappointed. I bought this game on launch day and played it for about two weeks, hoping I could get over the new changes. I can't say I was very open minded about the new features brought to the table, but the campaign was boring despite their attempt to keep things interesting. I actually couldn't finish it after putting 6+ hours into the campaign. The multiplayer wasNever been so disappointed. I bought this game on launch day and played it for about two weeks, hoping I could get over the new changes. I can't say I was very open minded about the new features brought to the table, but the campaign was boring despite their attempt to keep things interesting. I actually couldn't finish it after putting 6+ hours into the campaign. The multiplayer was so frustrating it really let me down compared to the previous titles. Gears of War was the first game I ever played on my Xbox 360, it gave me a lot of good memories and was nothing I had ever seen before. This game took away all the originality that Gears of War created, no other game had what it had. Judgement somehow took away everything from the franchise and made it so painfully bland I don't know why I paid 60$ on launch. Expand
  51. Jun 1, 2013
    Gears of war judgment is a great addition to the gears franchise. The campaign is great except for the final boss which is way to easy. The new mode overrun is a great thing it offers somethings that players have wanted and we have finally received. As a huge gears fan some things were bad like how horde mode something that changed the series was removed and replaced by survival which is aGears of war judgment is a great addition to the gears franchise. The campaign is great except for the final boss which is way to easy. The new mode overrun is a great thing it offers somethings that players have wanted and we have finally received. As a huge gears fan some things were bad like how horde mode something that changed the series was removed and replaced by survival which is a huge letdown compared to the amazing horde mode. Expand
  52. Jun 1, 2013
    I've played every gears of war multiplayer and story mode and every one was great and very fun, so naturally I assumed judgment would be just as good but sadly I was mistaken,the controls are not nearly as good as the last ones, the new multiplayer maps are all pretty bad and there is only 4, the story mode was way to short and even though it had a lot of new stuff in it it still wasI've played every gears of war multiplayer and story mode and every one was great and very fun, so naturally I assumed judgment would be just as good but sadly I was mistaken,the controls are not nearly as good as the last ones, the new multiplayer maps are all pretty bad and there is only 4, the story mode was way to short and even though it had a lot of new stuff in it it still was awful, the wall bouncing which every gear head has grown to love has be come very clumsy and you will constantly get stuck on corners and sometimes get stuck on nothing. Even though the new updates have improved the multiplayer it's still doesn't even touch gears 3, I will say this over run its a good addition but its not good enough to save this game. If your a huge gears fan like me you've already bought the game and because of that I say sorry, if you haven't bought it yet just rent it and you will see what me and my others are saying. Also one last thing taking away horde which was fun and a great part of gears 3 was taken out and survival was put in and if there wasnt a few achievements based around it I can guarantee no one would play it twice. Over all gears of war judgment is a sad ending to a fantastic series, epic should have just ended with gears of war 3. Expand
  53. May 29, 2013
    I cannot express the amount of hate I have for this piece of garbage. They have taken out everything that made gears unique and replaced it with call of duty like features. Seriously do not buy this game.
  54. May 26, 2013
    Another case of a great franchise ending with a game that's very disappointing. The original controls from previous GoW titles were changed for Judgement, it all fell apart. The weapon selection is f***ed up, no Horde mode, and the story is just plain forgettable. Iv'e been a fan of GoW since Gears of War 1 and Gears of War 2 was my all time favorite, same with 3, but Judgement is just aAnother case of a great franchise ending with a game that's very disappointing. The original controls from previous GoW titles were changed for Judgement, it all fell apart. The weapon selection is f***ed up, no Horde mode, and the story is just plain forgettable. Iv'e been a fan of GoW since Gears of War 1 and Gears of War 2 was my all time favorite, same with 3, but Judgement is just a complete waste of time and money.
    Gears of War Judgement is guilty for ruining a great franchise and sentenced to game prison for its entire lifetime.
  55. May 24, 2013
    i was a huge fan of GOW until i played judgement. why the hell did they give people can fly to make the fourth gears, bad mistake. so disappointed. i dont like the arcade feeling at all. it is the worst game ever.
  56. May 21, 2013
    If you are looking for another Gears of War game, don't buy this one because it isn't. Bought it on release day being a die hard GOW fan. Tried campaign, almost threw up because of how bad it was. Tried multiplayer, definitely threw up. The Dev's decided to put a bunch of weapons around the map instead of the simply power weapons of the previous installments and original. Oh yeah, NOIf you are looking for another Gears of War game, don't buy this one because it isn't. Bought it on release day being a die hard GOW fan. Tried campaign, almost threw up because of how bad it was. Tried multiplayer, definitely threw up. The Dev's decided to put a bunch of weapons around the map instead of the simply power weapons of the previous installments and original. Oh yeah, NO GNASHER SECONDARY. Don't buy this game. I hate to say it, but the moment Cliffy B left EPIC this game was bound to fail hard. Expand
  57. May 18, 2013
    Finally, the devs decided to get with the times and include some big explosions and cooler guns in their game. The old Gears had was too slow and repetitive. Judgement has some seriously awesome shooting. Baird is a cool protagonist with lots of angst and edgy dialogue just like me. The best thing about this game is how good players don't have an advantage over newbies. It's good becauseFinally, the devs decided to get with the times and include some big explosions and cooler guns in their game. The old Gears had was too slow and repetitive. Judgement has some seriously awesome shooting. Baird is a cool protagonist with lots of angst and edgy dialogue just like me. The best thing about this game is how good players don't have an advantage over newbies. It's good because I'm not the best player, but I do enjoy getting kills in multiplayer so I can tell they really care about people like me. The best thing, however, is that the game is now controlled like CoD. I don't have to worry about bad or unique controls, I can just run and gun without getting bored with strategy which is boring.

Great game, liked it much more than the other Gears of Bores.
  58. May 15, 2013
    Completely ruined this game, when I got tired of playing COD or halo gears is what I came to and when gears 3 came out It actually became my favorite game and I started to play it non stop cause it has such diversity from all the others. So when I heard Judgement was coming out I was more than thrilled cause what gears 3 did to me but was I wrong. Multiplayer SUCKS like seriously cantCompletely ruined this game, when I got tired of playing COD or halo gears is what I came to and when gears 3 came out It actually became my favorite game and I started to play it non stop cause it has such diversity from all the others. So when I heard Judgement was coming out I was more than thrilled cause what gears 3 did to me but was I wrong. Multiplayer SUCKS like seriously cant emphasize more on how much it does cause they just took everything that was good and threw it all away. Campaign is playable but seriously lets be real here we are all in it for the multiplayer. Seriously wouldn't be surprised if the whole gears community hopped back on to gears 1 and gears 3 instead of playing this trash. Epic you better think about this next game hard before this franchise goes down the drain. Expand
  59. May 14, 2013
    I have had a blast playing. I haven't been able to play this to the extent that I played Gears of War 1, 2, and 3 due to having a 2 year old at home. However, I have been able to put in a few hours into multiplayer and I've just gotten through the main campaign.

Campaign: Of all of the Gears of War games, this one has my favorite campaign. I was afraid that having Baird as the lead

Campaign:
    Of all of the Gears of War games, this one has my favorite campaign. I was afraid that having Baird as the lead would ruin it, but it turned out just fine. Most of the main campaign is being told as a story be each member of your 4-man team. Each chapter switches up who the storyteller is, and changes who you are controlling. Overall I thought the story was the strongest in the series.

Also, as many have said, the declassified additions to each mission are a great touch. I hope other FPS games take notice and adopt or even improve on this.

Multiplayer:
    I haven't spent as much time as many others have on the Multiplayer. Overall it seems like a lot of fun. It's hard to say whether it is better or worse than the previous games, but it does make enough changes to be different.

I think the removal of the perfect active reload bonus was a good idea. It always seemed silly that people would start off by emptying their clip before seeing an opponent, just to have the bonus.

Removing executions was a mistake. I can understand why down-but-not-out can be seen as a bad thing at times, but it would have been nice to still allow people to celebrate their victory with a nice skull smashing.

The starting weapons work just fine. I don't miss having a 3rd weapon. Now you pick your starting gun from a list of choices, and then go find better ones.

I do think shotguns are still overpowered. This has been a grip of mine since Gears of War 1. It doesn't seem right that you can unload a Lancer into someone running at you, from a distance, just to have them one-shot you with a Gnasher from a good distance away. The game becomes less about cover, and more about charging in with a shotgun.
  60. May 12, 2013
    Gears of War: Judgement will be a waste of money to all but serious gears fans. First off, it is not even worth the money compared to what you would get in gears 3. There are less than 10 unlock-able characters, less than 10 unlock-able weapon skins, and you have to buy the other like 20 skins that are only un-lockable via Microsoft points. Also the multiplay is really watered downGears of War: Judgement will be a waste of money to all but serious gears fans. First off, it is not even worth the money compared to what you would get in gears 3. There are less than 10 unlock-able characters, less than 10 unlock-able weapon skins, and you have to buy the other like 20 skins that are only un-lockable via Microsoft points. Also the multiplay is really watered down comapred to past Gears games and lacking in terms of maps and game modes. Two of the game modes are just carbon copies of eachother (survival is overrun but with bots). The campaign is short and consists of mostly a flashback telling the story. Each section is its own level and is scored like some sort of mini-horde wave with some objectives. The campaign doesn't feel like a big story like most every other shooter. There is little characterization on a team of soldiers that is just begging for tons of characterization. A former athlete gone soldier, an old UIR soldier (the UIR and COG were enemies), Baird, and an Onyx Guard cadet. All of there lives were thrown upside down by the locust invasion but this is barely touched on in the campaign. Another thing that was not given enough attention is the locust themselves. The locust are a fearsome race of sub-terainian monsters that launch a genocidal attack on humanity for seemingly no reason. The people of Serra would have been scared out of their mind and the armies of the COG don't know how to fight this new fight to every last man woman and child over surface control. And the game takes place 14 days after they first appear. The GOC thinks they are just mindless monsters but as the war progresses they realize that the locust are actually intelligent beings. All of these details about the locust are lucky if they even get one line of dialogue mentioning them in campaign. The locust are just some guys that are just in your way. Not only is the campaign short, choppy, and lacking sustenance; but it is repetitive. Each level starts with you exiting a door to the last. There is a bloody skull icon, "crimson omen," that lets you "declassify" or add challenges to the mission. You kill some locust because they are in your way then come to an open area and fortify that area for a couple locust attack waves, just like a mini-horde mode. Rinse and repeat--that is all there is to the campaign. Speaking of horde mode where is it? You get a taste of how freakin' awesome it could be with some of the new turret placement mechanics and class based play in over run, but there is no horde. Not even just a copy of horde 2.0 fro Gears 3. Horde has set gears aside as a unique shooter since Gears 2 but they failed to include it. Horde isn't the only long-time tradition to go though... Down-but-not-out has been really changed, the three weapon carry has been reduced to two, grenades are now tap to throw rather than the unique targeted throwing, and the control scheme has been made more like COD/BF3.

Buy-n-large Gears of War Judgement is full of missed opportunities, and things watered down to match COD/BF3. EPIC games could have put so much into this game and made it probably one of the best Gears of War games yet. But instead they failed to draw on what makes Gears unique among a market saturated bad shooters, and instead added another bad, forgettable shooter into the mix. I hope the DLC redeems this game of EPIC makes another Gears game next console generation because this is a pathetic end to one of the Best shooters ever made. 3/10.
  61. May 11, 2013
    Gears of war: Judgment is a likely solid game, but it just fails in every way his predecessors succeeded. As someone who was been playing this saga since the Original GOW, I would say this game is for "fans only".
  62. May 7, 2013
    This game really makes me believe that there really are evil people out there. Gears of War Judgement, is literally the biggest middle finger I've seen in my life. I've produced that look better than this pile of garbage, and smell better to. I bought Limited Edition, I had faith at the beginning, I loved the original trilogy of Gears, so what could go wrong huh? Everything. The gameThis game really makes me believe that there really are evil people out there. Gears of War Judgement, is literally the biggest middle finger I've seen in my life. I've produced that look better than this pile of garbage, and smell better to. I bought Limited Edition, I had faith at the beginning, I loved the original trilogy of Gears, so what could go wrong huh? Everything. The game feels like its been sent to the wrong studio like Treyarch or Inifinity Ward and they added all these features, like "Y" to change weapon, only two weapons and you have a default grenade. I like have 4 weapons, gives more of a variety of annihilation. So much is wrong with this game I literally cannot explain how much I hate this game and how much of a regret it is, I cannot be bothered writing a full review because there would be too much too write. For hardcore Gears fans, do not get this this. Literally the worst thing you will ever do. If you are a jackass and haven't played the Gears trilogy then go ahead you obviously haven't lived yet so no harm when this game gives you no challenge or acknowledgement. Do not buy this game, it is Story sucks, multiplayer sucks and you People Can Fly Thank you so much for ruining one of the greatest franchises ever created! Well done Cliffy B for abandoning ship, because this ship shouldn't have sunk long ago! Expand
  63. May 7, 2013
    COMPARING WITH PREVIOUS GEARS
    Poor Storyline, way less emotional than GOW2 and GOW3. I miss Marcus and Dom for sure.
    Very good campaign in terms of gameplay, far more intense than any previous Gears game. AI is better and more aggressive in campaign. Also, it throws tougher enemies at you... overall more immersive. Multiplayer has nothing specially better, but nothing bad also.
    COMPARING WITH PREVIOUS GEARS
    Multiplayer has nothing specially better, but nothing bad also.

ADDITION Overrun brings in a newer MP mode, a good.
    _________Declassified mode makes it even more challenging.
    DELETION Our beloved HORDE mode is deleted, replacing it with some survival mode, which is not as interesting as classic Horde. After addition of fortification options in horde of GOW3, I thought the series will make Horde experience better. A strong dismal.

BUT THE GAME IS OVERALL GOOD, A must play for Gears lovers.
  64. May 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is perfect. it is amazing. anyone who gave it a negative review obviously didnt even TRY the game. sure, its not like the rest of them, but its good. heres some spoilers.
    SPOILER
    1.the bigginings slow at Beards testimony. Get to coles testimony.
    2.its awesome
    look for my reviews on the following Minecraft Xbox 360 edition
  65. May 4, 2013
    IN MY OPINION, Gears of War Judgment is the worst game in the series. WHY? overall the game is a shallow experience, missions are repetiiive, each testimony has 6 sections and every single section feels the same. At the end of every Testimony you have to defeat 2-3 waves of enemies which makes it repetitive and boring. As for the story, well there is not really much to say but on theIN MY OPINION, Gears of War Judgment is the worst game in the series. WHY? overall the game is a shallow experience, missions are repetiiive, each testimony has 6 sections and every single section feels the same. At the end of every Testimony you have to defeat 2-3 waves of enemies which makes it repetitive and boring. As for the story, well there is not really much to say but on the other hand Aftermath is a really fun addition to the game i really enjoyed it. Although the game does some things right, gameplay is solid like in every Gears of War. Last thing that Gear of War does right is the multiplayer, probably the most enjoyable multiplayer i have ever played. If you want to buy Gears of War: Judgement, you should definitely give it a try because it's really deep and fun if you are playing with you buddies. Overall, Gears of War: Judgement is a fun game with a boring story, deep multiplayer and solid gameplay. I would recommend it only for hardcore Gears of War fans. Expand
  66. May 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where is active reloads? Why is the 2 piece back? Why do I want to smash my xbox everytime I get a grenade thrown at me and it tags me? Why are the maps not symmetrical and so big? Why is the reticle on my screen not an option?? why is it red bs blue not cog vs locust? WTF IS STIM GAS DOING IN MULTIPLAYER? a good a idea that originated from a brain would be to have STIM pickup downed team mates only, oh wait dbno is gone. Why can you start with any rifle/shotgun/grenade you wish? Why have you destroyed all competitiveness for this series? Spoiler alert WORST CAMPAIGN ENDING POSSIBLE Expand
  67. May 4, 2013
    lol the ppl posting 9s and 10s to "combat" the low reviews,
    I will give it a 1 then, so as to combat all you Epic fanboys, note, I am with Epic since UT2k3, but this?
    This was a money grab, no effort, greed, pure n simple, its bot city in MP, no comparing G3 to this, It is a blatant step backwards. Epic really took a big dump on its fanbase this time, (B)ad PR, (B)ad design choices,
    lol the ppl posting 9s and 10s to "combat" the low reviews,
    It is a blatant step backwards.

Epic really took a big dump on its fanbase this time, (B)ad PR, (B)ad design choices, just (B)ad!
  68. May 2, 2013
    Terrible game. Terrible campaign. Probably the worst mulitplayer I have ever played. 0/10.............................................................
  69. Apr 29, 2013
    Gear Of War Judgment is a prequel to the Gears Of War Trilogy. It explains the back story to the two main support characters from the main series. It is your typical Gears of War game and the mechanics are very much the same as what you experience in the other games. There are some nice new weapons to play with along with some new enemies (some of which I would have liked to have been inGear Of War Judgment is a prequel to the Gears Of War Trilogy. It explains the back story to the two main support characters from the main series. It is your typical Gears of War game and the mechanics are very much the same as what you experience in the other games. There are some nice new weapons to play with along with some new enemies (some of which I would have liked to have been in the other games). The main new feature that really made the game a joy to play were the Declassified missions. Basically when you play the game there are additional challenges you can activate to make the game more challenging. These vary from using certain weapons, harder enemies and reduced visibility but they do add another level to the game. The main campaign is a little short and does not really have any massive Stand Out moments but its solid enough with a decent enough plot.
    I liked the addition of the Aftermath mode which opens up a story that fills in the blanks from Gears of War 3.
    This game is nothing new and so will not bring any new players into the Franchise but will be a welcome addition to the original games. For this reason I cannot give it a truely high score even though it does not do anything bad. The game mechanics are all solid and the AI is decent enough. I did not understand why in Aftermath they seem to have removed the Declassified options as I did honestly miss them once I had played the main campaign through.
    I have not spent much time on the Multiplayer modes and so cannot really review with any depth but the modes are mainly ports from the other games.
  70. Apr 28, 2013
    This game is very strange, being a prequel you already know the outcome, your guys survive and move on. I am not a fan of prequels because they don't add much to the storyline of the franchise. The layout is odd, giving you stars for completing sections of each single player level. The storyline is broken up way too much causing problems with fluidity. Play for 5 minites stop play for 5This game is very strange, being a prequel you already know the outcome, your guys survive and move on. I am not a fan of prequels because they don't add much to the storyline of the franchise. The layout is odd, giving you stars for completing sections of each single player level. The storyline is broken up way too much causing problems with fluidity. Play for 5 minites stop play for 5 more. I do appreciate them keeping a boss battle at the end of the game, too many games dump these out now, they are fun. Overall it doesn't do much for the franchise, the story relies on minor characters from the first 3 to take the lead, they don't succeed. There is also an extra level that adds storyline to gears 3 that should have been released as a gears 3 dlc and not something added into a totally different game. Expand
  71. Apr 28, 2013
    Judgment is a nice extension of the Gears of War series. It does very little to innovate upon its already proven campaign and multiplayer base, but what it does, it does well. Declassified mission options give a great change-up to the campaign experience and force you to approach an encounter with some kind of added difficulty or weapon set that you might otherwise not use. The story isJudgment is a nice extension of the Gears of War series. It does very little to innovate upon its already proven campaign and multiplayer base, but what it does, it does well. Declassified mission options give a great change-up to the campaign experience and force you to approach an encounter with some kind of added difficulty or weapon set that you might otherwise not use. The story is worthwhile, and I found myself enjoying this title more than I had expected to, especially the small spin off to the Gears of War 3 storyline that you experience via Aftermath. This game will find opposition, but Judgment isn't a flop, even if it feels a bit like an expansion pack at times. I think anyone with a level-head and reasonable expectations will find this a good investment of their time & money. Expand
  72. Apr 28, 2013
    This game is just a crap version of gears 3. This game tries to appeal to CoD fans (which never works, EVER) and in doing so, it alienates its original fan base as you no longer go down, and active reload is gone in multi-player. you spawn with one weapon a pistol and a grenade, there goes any tension of going to power weapons or grenades, btw the maps suck as well. the graphics aren'tThis game is just a crap version of gears 3. This game tries to appeal to CoD fans (which never works, EVER) and in doing so, it alienates its original fan base as you no longer go down, and active reload is gone in multi-player. you spawn with one weapon a pistol and a grenade, there goes any tension of going to power weapons or grenades, btw the maps suck as well. the graphics aren't better their just more colorful. EVERYONE TWO PIECES in the multi-player, you can melee twice in one second almost. which doesn't make sense when you think about it as they know that people hate it when they were developing. the enemies in the campaign go out of their way to melee you as well, especially on insane. just play gears 3. its better in every way almost. the campaign is way too short and isnt even as good as the aftermath campaign also in the game that's just a section of the gears 3 campaign. one i complete my insane play through, i'm returning this game. Expand
  73. Apr 25, 2013
    Took everything that was good about Gears multiplayer and ruined it. This isn't Gears of Duty, bring back executions, actives, D-Pad switching, DBNO, no starting grenades so many things that made it a great series. Only points given in this game should go towards the campaign and overrun which are both pretty solid and enjoyable. BUT FIX MULTIPLAYER.
  74. Apr 25, 2013
    I'd happily give this game an 8 out of 10. I can't believe the negative reviews. The new interface is shiny and blue and the new controls breathe fresh air into the series. But this game Should have been an expansion pack at best.
  75. Apr 25, 2013
    This game I rated a 7 Reason being is because it has a great story and all and the amount of level concepts are nice But it doesn't really bring nothing new to the table like halo 4 has and blacktops 2 but all and all the story is great but you might grow bored of the online play But its a great game and if you like previous games you well enjoy this
  76. Apr 25, 2013
    some of this people who just think this game is awesome need to play previous GOW,. Judgement sucks i mean they don't have the Locust no DNBO this game was rushed in less than a year to compete with other games EPIC messed this up really good,
  77. Apr 25, 2013
    Being a huge fan of both the Aliens and Gears of War franchises, 2013 has been a terrible year for gaming for me personally. The reason people still play GoW 1 today is because of the competitive multiplayer, not because of the campaign or the well written story; the success or failure of GoW games has always been determined by the multiplayer. Which is why GoW judgement is such aBeing a huge fan of both the Aliens and Gears of War franchises, 2013 has been a terrible year for gaming for me personally. The reason people still play GoW 1 today is because of the competitive multiplayer, not because of the campaign or the well written story; the success or failure of GoW games has always been determined by the multiplayer. Which is why GoW judgement is such a disappointment to me that it actually makes me angry. It's so glaringly obvious that people can fly tried to make judgement like call of duty, for example: the shotgun doing next to zero damage, the fact that you cannot down enemies in multiplayer (if anyone mentions overrun i'm going to scream) and the introduction of the Free For All playlist which feels out of place. "Domination" is another shining example of this, why not just stick to the class annex or king of the hill which was successful in previous games? Because Call of Duty had domination so now Gears has to have it, ridiculous, so insulting as a avid Gears of War fan. Another point which I feel I should make is the crosshair. Its not permanently fixed into the middle of your screen in single player which is the way it is meant to be, but because some other successful shooter had it (wonder what it could be) now gears has to have it, because for SOME reason it must appeal to the "casual" gamer and totally rebuff the hardcore fans of the series; the fans who put the game where it is today. I know this review seems scathing and perhaps overly critical but thats only because I absolutely LOVED GoW1 and GoW3 multiplayer and playing judgement just feels like a third person CoD. In conclusion if you are a hardcore gears fan stay away from this game, if you like CoD then keep playing it because this game will offer you nothing that the newest installment of CoD cant. So very disappointed. Expand
  78. Apr 25, 2013
    A completely new and fresh Gears Of War.
    A completely new and fresh Gears Of War.
    Yes i know horde is out and a lot of things are out of the window here... but come on people the campaign is good NOT the best, but GOOD. the lack oh maps and modes on multiplayer is a big down but, the game itself is well made no bugs, no glitches, graphics are amazing and the new control layout works like a charm. I see no reason for people arguing about that it's a love it or hate it situation. A fast paced game and that exactly what Gears Of War should be. That's My humble opinion. A solid 9 out of 10.
  79. Apr 23, 2013
    I liked this Gears entry, not my favorite but the story was interesting an new. The level design was good and the new elements the developers put in were fun but I miss Marcus and Dom. Overall I liked the game but it doesn't top the other Gears games for me.
  80. Apr 23, 2013
    Pros:
    Its a gears game- nowadays its nearly impossible to ruin a gears game. Its fun, crazy, fast-paced, and gory. What is not to love?
    Campaign- 4 player co-op locust one heckuva good time, grab a few drinks, sit down with some buddies and play through it. You won't be disappointed. Survival- this is the best gametype in the game by far. Multiplayer doesn't have the COG vs Locust
    Pros:

Survival- this is the best gametype in the game by far. Multiplayer doesn't have the COG vs Locust anymore, and it feels wrong to kill other gears (unless you are the locust), so I usually gravitate to this playlist. The class limitations can be annoying, but it takes skill to master them all.

Cons:
    Skins- good lord people, how many boxes of experience before I simply break the disc in frustration? I can literally earn hundreds of boxes and all of them be experience while my buddy plays two games and gets a copper/chrome/gold skin from the get-go. Yeah, this unlock system is terrible.

Weapons- gnasher gib-fest...every...single...game...Spawn, rush, gnasher, die, rinse, repeat...Oh and who even uses the hammerburst anymore? You'll be sniped dead by a gnasher by the time you raise your weapon to aim down the sights.

Overrun- fun as heck, but come on, the COG is no fun to play, and everybody wants to be the locust. Just a trivial thing, but a similar point unlock system as the locust would've been nice.
  81. Apr 23, 2013
    The game itself was more or less giving fans the chance to learn more about Cole and Baird, which was why I leaped a it. However the gaming style was quite drastically different. Unlike the last Gears of war games, the storytelling isn't as linear and the sections are broken up by arcade style levels. You don't get to keep your weapons that you had in the last section which can beThe game itself was more or less giving fans the chance to learn more about Cole and Baird, which was why I leaped a it. However the gaming style was quite drastically different. Unlike the last Gears of war games, the storytelling isn't as linear and the sections are broken up by arcade style levels. You don't get to keep your weapons that you had in the last section which can be especially annoying if you've just grabbed your favourite weapon.
    But the interesting thing are the challenges they issue you to keep you on your toes, and the enemies in each level have about three different wave styles if you die/restart a level.
    What was nice to see was that if you played enough/got enough stars awarded you unlocked a section from the Gears 3 arc.

Over all it was definitely a fun game in terms of the main campaign but the play style was a little jarring by comparison, as much as they made it fit to the plot.. I'd rather they just stuck to a flowing gameplay rather than breaking it up into chunks.
  82. Apr 21, 2013
    Starting off, ive been playing gears of war since the first and even though i wasn't good at it i still played it because i was that into the game style. No epic has really out done themselves. This game has been ruined and really was just made so they can earn money. They've taken way to many things out that should have stayed and ruined this game. I would just stick to playing GoW 3.Starting off, ive been playing gears of war since the first and even though i wasn't good at it i still played it because i was that into the game style. No epic has really out done themselves. This game has been ruined and really was just made so they can earn money. They've taken way to many things out that should have stayed and ruined this game. I would just stick to playing GoW 3. Dont waste your money or time, Expand
  83. Apr 18, 2013
    Judgement day has arrived and it's as bleak as we though it would be...

A poor cash-in, a single player campaign that's just not even needed (Copy paste of previous GoW games but with the worst story ever) and multiplayer that includes 4 maps (but don't worry I'm sure they'll want you to pay more to expand that in the future)

Shameful

It doesn't even deserve its Metacritic score of 79
  84. Apr 17, 2013
    CAMPAIGN I GIVE AN 8. If AND ONLY IF THEY BRING BACK CAPTURE THE LEADER WILL I PLAY MULTIPLAYER. I WISH THEY WOULDN'T HAVE TAKEN AWAY GRENADE TAG AND DNBO, MAJOR LOSS OF POINTS FOR THAT, OTHERWISE IT WOLD HAD GOTTEN AN OVERALL 9.5 FROM ME. ME AND MY FRIENDS FOR NOW ARE STICKING TO GEARS 3. UNLESS CAPTURE THE LEADER OR GAURDIAN SHOWS UP, I'VE WASTED $82. MY OVERALL RATING FOR NOW 6.0
  85. Apr 16, 2013
    Ever since the first game came out i have been in love with the gears franchise, it was an eye opener for many and there have been countless others to duplicate it (ex. Special forces team X). They had a good thing going, their sequels weren't going to great, but finally they aced it. EXCEPT FOR THE GOD DANG LOCKED ON THE DISK DLC, you payed for the game and you expect everything to be onEver since the first game came out i have been in love with the gears franchise, it was an eye opener for many and there have been countless others to duplicate it (ex. Special forces team X). They had a good thing going, their sequels weren't going to great, but finally they aced it. EXCEPT FOR THE GOD DANG LOCKED ON THE DISK DLC, you payed for the game and you expect everything to be on the disk, sure you obviously gonna have to unlock things, but the fact that you have the game but then have to buy the locked skins and armor crap AGAIN just makes me mad beyond repair. It's almost just like what Capcom screwed up on with their games, (horrible dlc) but enough about that, cuz the VIP pass is sort of worth it, anyway gameplay is the same as it will ever be, they changed around some the controls, and teh story is a little bland, but it was fine, i liked the declasiy missions, and there was alot of things to find, it feels alot like an arcade multiplayer style game, it doesn't focus on anything too seriously. Multiplayer isn't as great as it was, almost no great maps, almost no great characters, and almost no great gamemodes that stand out from your normal gears games, there is a great additon to Overun mode, but i like horde better personally, all in all, it was more disapointing that i though it would be, still though if your a fan go right ahead and buy it, for sale, not worth 60 bucks, and im still ticked off about that stupid dlc, i mean who doesn't want fluffy rainbow on a bloody chainsaw lancer. Expand
  86. Apr 16, 2013
    Judgment is most definitely the weakest game of the series, but it is in no way, a bad game. The campaign was very well written but the idea of declassified missions ruins the good elements of the story and makes it feel too arcade. Also, I find the Survival game mode to be completely pointless. They just made it Overrun with ten waves. Lastly, the game needs more maps, or a betterJudgment is most definitely the weakest game of the series, but it is in no way, a bad game. The campaign was very well written but the idea of declassified missions ruins the good elements of the story and makes it feel too arcade. Also, I find the Survival game mode to be completely pointless. They just made it Overrun with ten waves. Lastly, the game needs more maps, or a better randomization of the 4 maps. I feel like I've played Library 20 times out of the last 30 matches. Expand
  87. Apr 16, 2013
    this is most likely the best gears I have played in years! I'm a expert in the gears franchise so I know what I'm talking about. The multiplayer is the best with 4 fantastic maps and no glitches in sight it's could possibly be the most fun gears yet! This on gears 1 and 2 so badly. People can fly should take gears as its new franchise developer! I love this game so much I can't stressthis is most likely the best gears I have played in years! I'm a expert in the gears franchise so I know what I'm talking about. The multiplayer is the best with 4 fantastic maps and no glitches in sight it's could possibly be the most fun gears yet! This on gears 1 and 2 so badly. People can fly should take gears as its new franchise developer! I love this game so much I can't stress anymore! if your name is cody stevens you stroke ballsack Expand
  88. Apr 15, 2013
    As a long time fan of the series I must say that this is like Halo/Cod. They took away DBNO (Down but not out) they took away the option to have 2 primary weapons at the same time. The campaign was ok, but nothing really special happened, and the characters were crap. Plays almost like the other games in the gears series but feels more "arcadey" The story was lacking even more so than theAs a long time fan of the series I must say that this is like Halo/Cod. They took away DBNO (Down but not out) they took away the option to have 2 primary weapons at the same time. The campaign was ok, but nothing really special happened, and the characters were crap. Plays almost like the other games in the gears series but feels more "arcadey" The story was lacking even more so than the other games. The multiplayer is just god awful, they took everything good from the other games and scrapped it. There isn't anything I like about the multiplayer at all. The game got boring quick and even though the campaign was OK it doesn't save the game in itself. As painful for it is for me to say I just think this game sucks and should of finished with Gears 3. So if you are in to the overratednes of Call of Duty games, then by all means go and buy this, but if you hate Call of Duty then I wouldn't recommend this to you as this is just a third person version of that. If you do not know this already, you might want to know that the multiplayer is no longer Cog vs Locust, it is now just like halo in that aspect with it's Cog vs Cog (red vs blue) kind of feels like a step down in my opinion. R.I.P Gears of War Expand
  89. Apr 15, 2013
    This game is seriously BAD. I have been playing gears of war since 2006 and could only stand this game for less than a week before selling it on ebay. I cannot even begin to explain what it wrong with this game because there It just too much! 1 out of 10 score for me. TRASSSSSSH.
  90. Apr 14, 2013
    complete waste of 60 dollars. 4 maps for multiplayer? the campaign story is garbage, hit detection like always, characters, no active reload, no downs, no executions,2 piece is back, cog vs cog? no locust, the list never ends.... its exactly what a gears fan doesnt want.. EPIC games you are anything but epic... youre an epic FAIL.....
  91. Apr 14, 2013
    This game is really great. This is another great Gears Of War. I have played two of the three other games so I am aware of what would make this game better or worse. The only thing that could have made this game a little better was more need to use cover. For the most part of this game, you do not even need to use cover as it is much easier to shoot enemies in this game.
  92. Apr 13, 2013
    This will be the last Gears of War I play. I could prattle on what made this game less than worth the $60 I paid on the release date, but I won't. Instead I'll just sum it up. 1) Campaign was too damn short and SEVERELY lacking detail and depth 2) Multiplayer just seemed pared down and not nearly as addictive as the previous GOW 3) The "extra campaign" was absolutely not interesting. IThis will be the last Gears of War I play. I could prattle on what made this game less than worth the $60 I paid on the release date, but I won't. Instead I'll just sum it up. 1) Campaign was too damn short and SEVERELY lacking detail and depth 2) Multiplayer just seemed pared down and not nearly as addictive as the previous GOW 3) The "extra campaign" was absolutely not interesting. I felt like I was playing the leftover game play from GOW 3 and 4) to expect me to spend Microsoft points merely to customize my multiplayer character is absolute nonsense.

Overall, this game was dull, repetitive, and pointless. Bah.
  93. Apr 12, 2013
    Who ever bought this game needs to be re embursed! They have ruined the game!! Please do not try to fix what is not broken!!! Back to playing Gears three
  94. Apr 12, 2013
    I loved all the previous Gears games, but this last installment is a serious letdown. It kinda feels like you're playing Gears of war Arcade game; the levels are short, everything is about how good score you're gonna get etc. And no boss fights, except for the ultra lame final boss. I was really disappointed with this game.
  95. Apr 9, 2013
    GoW3 got me to buy an Xbox I loved it so much ...
    However after buying a VIP season pass -1600MSP/$20- and pre-ordering the game in full for $63.59; the demo came out 3 days prior to launch, I was disappointed in the "overrun" demo off the bat; there was/is cheats/flaws/exploits in the demo and full game still...
    However the "Declassified" missions in previews seemed new and cool to me
    GoW3 got me to buy an Xbox I loved it so much ...

However the "Declassified" missions in previews seemed new and cool to me -which is about the most I can find "good" in this game thus far oh and the Mauler is awesome; but thats about it- so I shelled out the $80+ w/ hope that the full version was better...

Sadly it was not... Upon putting in GoWJ, menu pops up & there is no "Horde" mode which is what made GoW, well Gears... -mind you other game devs/makers have copied the Horde idea into their games now- And was replaced w/ a botched attempt at replacing it w/ "Survival" -which mind you feels like Zombie mode from CoD now- in an attempt to "reel" in gamers from other titles such as Bulletstorm/Halo/CoD -Bulletstorm had a GoW3 demo on it; so its the only reason PCF got sales on that game was because of the Gears coat tail its company has been clinging too- and for the most part I dislike all of BS/Halo/CoD style titles and have always only been a GoW fan because of its 3rd person view & it being so much DIFFERENT than all the other shooters on the market; which GoWJ is NOT a 5-star shooter game series anymore...

Beast mode is Gone too..! Now I am a die hard beast fan -top 100- & many versus players never cared for the mode; but then again it only had one chance & that is in GoW3...
    This gaming mode has been replaced now w/ "Overrun" which above I point out in the demo has flaws still; there is many UNFAIR factors and EXPLOITS being used in this gaming mode; almost all quick matches will drop you into the loosing side & other time wasting factors involved; which I logically tried to point out on the Epic forums but the Mods/Admins simply delete/close those type of threads that point out exploits, flaws, or dislike for GoWJ; in other words EPIC on their forums IS ONLY FEEDING YOU WHAT THEY WANT NEWBIES TO SEE & KNOW... Also I'd like to note that IF Epic removed "quick match" in this mode & only had "ranked match" it would at least start off in a more "fair" manner; but no one plays ranked matches in this mode... =|

Onto Versus/Multi-player mode; now in all honest I have never been a fan of or a huge player of this Mode because of the jerks that tend to trash talk all game; but I did find some of the modes fun like king of the hill & Capture the leader...
    FFA -Free For All- Is a new gaming mode which I actually like BUT its cog vs cog, games in this mode only have 4 maps -now 5 maps execution mode- & the maps are weak, game play is not like any of the prior versions of the GoW series; & over the course of the GoW series many things we removed to make the game fairly balance & most Gear heads will agree that GoW3 MP was about as perfect as one can get to play & enjoy; but what did PCF/Epic do..? Yup you guessed it they threw back in all the junk gears fans really hate..!
    Now again I am NOT a huge Versus mode fan -or CoD/Halo style game player either- but when I talk to others whom have played Thousands of rounds of Versus mode on prior GoW titles say:
    "this versus mode sucks now"
    well I am sorry but that just goes to show you that the people whom really play this game show a genuine discontent for this title & that the game is not worthy of all the FAKE HYPE it is receiving from paid/employed/career reviewers...

Campaign/Story Mode I thought the declassified would be cool & it is; but thats it..! The Game Lacks story content entirely; the most you seem to get is a few minutes worth of brief "testimony" between chapters; & thats about it... In all honesty the "arcade" star earning thing is semi-ok but its not GoW feeling at all; that GoW FEELING IS GONE..!

If you like other titles I mentioned that are not of the GoW series then you might like this game, but as a person who played all 3 prior installments of the GoW series I have to say overall this game is a total waste of money & a flop; I have seen the game on craigslist already for as low as $35 if you must get you chance at it buy a used copy there because thats about its worth...

Why do I rate this Game so Low..?
    Because Epic made this game as a cash grabber to help out themselves & PCF out & of course to feed stock holders pockets; because of this I rate this deceptive attempt of Epic to pass off a low quality vision of bulletstorm in GoW skins to the masses & not even care to listen... 2 of 10 Now..!

On Demo Launch I gave the game 5.5 of 10 -the servers had over 12,000 players on at once that weeked..!-

First night release I went down to 5 of 10 -severs had between 1000 to 5000 players per mode the first week out...-

2 weeks later I gave the Game a 4 of 10 -I had not played all the campaign or modes yet to find out how many exploits/flaws/cheating & dull/boring the game got-
  96. Apr 7, 2013
    This really is a poor excuse for a 60 dollar game. By no means are you getting the same amount of content as you did in Gears 3. I am not even talking about the changes or features of the game, just the sheer lack of content compared to Gears 3 is just absurd. For features; just imagine everything that made Gears of War unique and special from the first three games, and take it all out.This really is a poor excuse for a 60 dollar game. By no means are you getting the same amount of content as you did in Gears 3. I am not even talking about the changes or features of the game, just the sheer lack of content compared to Gears 3 is just absurd. For features; just imagine everything that made Gears of War unique and special from the first three games, and take it all out. That is what Judgment is. There are way more features taken away then added. Another thing, remember in Gears of War 2 they implimented the boomshield and meatshield and you could only use a pistol? There was a glitch which was eventually patched where you could use ANY gun with a boomshield/meatshield. Yeah, that is now a FEATURE in Judgment. You can now use any weapon with a boomshield and meatshield in Judgment. That really to me shows how little they cared for this game. Expand
  97. Apr 7, 2013
    This from a massive Gears of War fan.

This is the most heinous entry in the series to date. While the single player is at least mildly enjoyable (if not grossly short) if you can get over the completely gutted controls and that you can now only carry 2 weapons. The multiplayer is however where this product has become a disgrace. They have removed locusts so now its only Cog vs Cog
    This from a massive Gears of War fan.

They have removed locusts so now its only Cog vs Cog only. No active reloads, horribly designed levels that play atrociously because they are COD maps not gears of war maps and there is only 4 of them unless you want to pay for more. The entire weapon system has been changed for online, shotguns are now as crap as they were back in gears 2, you die from 1 shot of a flame thrower and a micro burst from a lancer will kill you too.

The entire game has been ruined to the point it is no longer recognizable, it has now turned into and call of duty/halo game with a gears makeover. It is in no way shape or form a gears of war game, its almost indescribable how terribly they have destroyed a beloved franchise.

If that wasn't enough there is less than half the content of the previous game, Gears of war 3. This game should be liable for false advertising, it is NOT a Gears of War game.
  98. Apr 6, 2013
    I can summarize my review with a passage from my play. "Baird, over here Bair- no over here, not there, here. Yes finally, now, wait Baird, c'mon get me up!... And now I'm dead. Thanks Baird". In short, unbelievably useless AI. In addition to more DLC skins at launch than included ones, nine characters to play as (including two re-skinned characters), FOUR multiplayer maps, and COG vs. COGI can summarize my review with a passage from my play. "Baird, over here Bair- no over here, not there, here. Yes finally, now, wait Baird, c'mon get me up!... And now I'm dead. Thanks Baird". In short, unbelievably useless AI. In addition to more DLC skins at launch than included ones, nine characters to play as (including two re-skinned characters), FOUR multiplayer maps, and COG vs. COG multiplayer, this game warrants a 5/10 in my opinion. Expand
  99. Apr 6, 2013
    Loving the first three games, I had to get this and so glad that Epic Games did not end Gears. So is Gears of War: Judgment shine with the other Gears games? Sadly no! I'm sorry if you love Gears but this game is a dissapointment. Lets start with the campaign. The Judgement campaign is based on year 1 of the war with locasts. Cole and Biard are with us and with two new characters witch areLoving the first three games, I had to get this and so glad that Epic Games did not end Gears. So is Gears of War: Judgment shine with the other Gears games? Sadly no! I'm sorry if you love Gears but this game is a dissapointment. Lets start with the campaign. The Judgement campaign is based on year 1 of the war with locasts. Cole and Biard are with us and with two new characters witch are quite interresting. Really good story, like always with Gears. What ruins it is how every section is you trying to get stars witch just feels like a arcade game or a chalenge mode, witch a chalenge would be a great idea. I see they were trying a new way of gameplay, but it just ruined it for me. After you complete Judgement you unlock another campaign called Aftermath witch is more like a dlc. Its based in the middle of the events in Gears of War 3. Also with Cole, Biard and even Carmine. You meet up with one of the new charactors from the Judgement campaign. It keeps to the original style of gameplay witch I like. Sadly both campaigns are way too short and loved the campaigns in the other games, but not in this ,I don't like Judgement campaign and aftermath was decent... just dissapointing... Lets move on with multiplayer. Multiplayer is more balanced then ever, bit the same but still alot of fun. But what gets my attention survival and overun. Survival is defending objectives from relentless locasts, not a horde 3.0 but quite interresting changes. Overrun witch is players play as locasts witch try and destroy objective, while the COG players try and defend, easily best multiplayer game mode. Overall this game took too many steps back or not trying to push on foward. Just feels too much like other games. Gears of War: Judgement 6.5/10. Expand
  100. Apr 5, 2013
    This is the worst Gears so far. The campaign is ok the rest is horrible. Buy it when it goes down to $15 to $20 on the third market. I wasted my money on this pre-ordering it.
  101. Mar 19, 2013
    The game that killed the series. Everything that all fans liked about Gears is taken away and turned into a more arcade COD like game. Disappointed is an understatement.

1. May 9, 2013
    It's Gears 3, minus pacing and ambition. It's still fantastically enjoyable, but it's easily the least interesting Gears game. [June 2013, p.64]
  2. May 7, 2013
    Judgment shows that the People Can Fly team knows its way around triple-A titles. They managed to squeeze a lot out of Unreal Engine 3 – the game looks great even compared to Crysis 3, which set new standards in terms of visuals, also on consoles. And when the technology restrained them, they creatively found a way around limitations. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.60]
  3. Apr 21, 2013
    Judgment feels a bit like an excuse to provide the Xbox 360 with one last first-party game for what is likely to be its final year as Microsoft’s flagship game platform.