Gears of War Xbox 360

8.3

1. Aug 16, 2016
    Gears of War is a military science fiction third-person shooter video game developed by Epic Games and published by Microsoft.

+ Fun Gameplay

- Bad Story
    - Stupid Characters
    - Repetitive
  3. Aug 14, 2015
    Blood, guts and beyond the human refuse, no heart, with solid controls and game-play mechanics alongside a dark and suiting artistic style. The thing that fails to accompany all this is a good narrative to which to follow upon. Making you believe the only suitable use of this game is a stress relief simulator for children with ADHD
  4. Jan 19, 2015
    This game starts off slow and boring and then gets very fun!

PROS
    -Nice Graphics
    -Fun Guns
    -Nice Graphics

CONS
    -Slow story
    -levels too long

Worth checking out for sure!
  5. Apr 6, 2014
    Gears of war is fun . but way to hard and it the most biggest challenge ever . but is okay i guess . i will pass level 1 . Grade C+............................................
  6. Mar 13, 2014
    I know the people that worked on this game worked really hard and it shows to a great degree. However, personally, this did not appeal to me. The controls were simple enough, but did not allow fluidity of movement. Furthermore I found it to be extremely repetitive. It is interesting for a while but soon gets tiring. Another issue, I found with this game, is it was somewhat buggy. SometimesI know the people that worked on this game worked really hard and it shows to a great degree. However, personally, this did not appeal to me. The controls were simple enough, but did not allow fluidity of movement. Furthermore I found it to be extremely repetitive. It is interesting for a while but soon gets tiring. Another issue, I found with this game, is it was somewhat buggy. Sometimes it lagged enough to disrupt gameplay and sometimes it froze. Expand
  7. Jan 20, 2014
    God, I want to give this game a 10. The single player is pretty entertaining. The use of a cover system can either intrigue or frustrate gamers. The Gears of War series' multiplayer is superb... hands down the best I have played on Xbox360. It is challenging, has a steep learning curve, but very rewarding. This game however, does have some serious flaws. Textures are poor, some levels areGod, I want to give this game a 10. The single player is pretty entertaining. The use of a cover system can either intrigue or frustrate gamers. The Gears of War series' multiplayer is superb... hands down the best I have played on Xbox360. It is challenging, has a steep learning curve, but very rewarding. This game however, does have some serious flaws. Textures are poor, some levels are way too dark, and waiting times for multiplayer can be ridiculous. It does feel ridged and clunky. If interested in the single player, play all three games. If you simply want a great multiplayer experience, get the 2nd or 3rd. Expand
  8. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

Gameplay (2/2)

Visuals/Story (1/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (2/2)

Pricing (0/2)

Wildcard (0)

9. May 4, 2013
    A bit pale to be honest it was easy on easy setting but when you jump on the Insane level it's gets so bad hard that it just feels so wrong to play on your own.

I did try on insane and let me say it was hardest thing to try to do as when you're inside a house ect there send waves after waves after you and you pretty much die in one hit by almost anything. Also it takes a million hits

Also it takes a million hits just to kill something in 1p mode it's really is annoying because you don't know what gun you want to use in the long run on them.

Checkpoints is long too to save the game is horridly to say the least MUST WAIT FOR A CHECKPOINT to kick in before you can save a game just like modern day games.

The driving was not good too in it you had to drive away from the black bat things I really can't remeber them so something like locast and then aim a light at them in the end I keept dieing over and over then the game put me in after it for some strange reason maybe a glitch or if you die too many times the game will pass you on the next part because frankly it was hard to do.

So yeah the game can be a bit unfair on you at times that's why I give it a 5 for half non a 10 because it's missing a lot of things I wanted in this game.
  10. Oct 13, 2012
    GOW by no means is a bad game but is very very overrated i just can't find the masterpiece that everybody sees, the story is boring the game play is very repetitive the characters are plain, the only good thing are the graphics for a 2006 game off course.
  11. Feb 15, 2012
    This game is one the best games Xbox 360 has to offer. The storyline isnt amazing but its close to it. gears of war 3 and 2 have better storylines but that is expected being that the game is the first in the series. The originality of the story is amazing and very clever i love it. The game does fail though with its multiplayer. Its probably on of the laggiest multiplayer experience youThis game is one the best games Xbox 360 has to offer. The storyline isnt amazing but its close to it. gears of war 3 and 2 have better storylines but that is expected being that the game is the first in the series. The originality of the story is amazing and very clever i love it. The game does fail though with its multiplayer. Its probably on of the laggiest multiplayer experience you will ever have. While some level designs make sense others dont and also there is no ranking system. If you want a game that has a really good storyline buy it but if you are in it for multiplayer this isnt the game for you Expand
  12. Oct 27, 2011
    Great game, but it's rather ironic that a developer would name themselves Epic Games, but not make the story in this game epic; there should've been another difficulty level really; but for what it is, the campaign mode is nice, the graphics are amazing, the music is John Williams standards, the characters scream testosterone and masculinity, and the gameplay is a bloody mess in a goodGreat game, but it's rather ironic that a developer would name themselves Epic Games, but not make the story in this game epic; there should've been another difficulty level really; but for what it is, the campaign mode is nice, the graphics are amazing, the music is John Williams standards, the characters scream testosterone and masculinity, and the gameplay is a bloody mess in a good way; but the multiplayer is the big problem here; the team deathmatch mode doesn't let you respawn after you die until the next round; they should've took lessons from Halo 2 and have you respawn immediately after you die so you'll get better at it, and have a limit of the number of kills that ends the match instead of rounds; after being told to leave a match by some wanker, I'm never going to play this game on multiplayer ever again Expand
  13. Sep 7, 2011
    I played this game in 2010, So I'm very late to the GOW party.
    The graphics where very nice and had some moments of awe!
    The characters are flat and boring, consisting of hey lets go here and shoot this mentality.
    Story was paper thin...
    The game started and then it felt like it ended with out anything happening in terms of story progression.
    GOW is a fast pace action movie that you control...
  14. Aug 3, 2011
    Gears of War may have violence and 'badass' weapons but its small in substance and lame in the big scheme of things. The intention of its creators was to obviously make exactly what Gears is but that does not make it good. Any memories this game may create wont last and it is only original to the ignorant console crowd. Gears of War's story is pointless asides from the sensation ofGears of War may have violence and 'badass' weapons but its small in substance and lame in the big scheme of things. The intention of its creators was to obviously make exactly what Gears is but that does not make it good. Any memories this game may create wont last and it is only original to the ignorant console crowd. Gears of War's story is pointless asides from the sensation of violence, it lacks originality, the script is a joke and is immaturely predictable. There maybe some fun to be had with some of its gameplay but there are plenty of other better games out there that have both substance and are 'fun'. In the end the Gears series is just another game for the uncritically minded and sits on the big fat pile of games with crap stories and a missed opportunity. Expand
  15. Jun 21, 2011
    Even if I finished this game I was realy dissapointed. It´s quite fun to playthrough, but I dont see anything so amazing about this title. Yeah, maybe the cover system was something new, but the control is bad, It have realy poor story, stupid enemies, graphics was maybe once good, but these days bad, but never great. The final boss fight also bit killed the game for me. IEven if I finished this game I was realy dissapointed. It´s quite fun to playthrough, but I dont see anything so amazing about this title. Yeah, maybe the cover system was something new, but the control is bad, It have realy poor story, stupid enemies, graphics was maybe once good, but these days bad, but never great. The final boss fight also bit killed the game for me. I cant help, but when I see Cliff, nothing personal, I see some very juvenile ego with the muscles, soo full of himself..., the same I thing about this game. I give five, because of regret. Expand
  16. May 6, 2011
    Sure its got some amazing graphics, but this isnt anything i havent played before. Throw in extremely linear, one dimensional gameplay, zero exposition , and a messy control scheme, and what you get is an terribly overrated piece of garbage. Its very hard to believe this recieved such high ratings- i smell a payoff.
  17. May 2, 2011
    I'd like to be kind here, but I just don't understand where some of the reviewers are coming from. Golem's cave perhaps? It is not tactical in the least bit. Run, shoot, ooh creepy, shoot, ahh look at that! shoot, yeah! give him the chainsaw! shoot.
    I returned it for a full refund a day or 2 after I purchased it. They asked me why I would do such a thing, and I told them what I'm telling you now. They put a lot of effort into this game, and a lot of detail, but it has been way over-hyped. Primarily because of how gritty and cool it looks(I admit that at least). But tactical? Nah. Maybe if taking a dump is tactical for you.
    In all fairness, I thought it was a cool game, and the 2nd one is much much better because of online and horde mode, but I'm surprised this franchise has gotten to where it is now. Did not see it coming.
    Like I said though, it's enjoyable, but completely not complicated.
  18. Apr 22, 2011
    Gears of War is a good game with fantastic action set-pieces and an almost creepy setting, with a human colonised world being destroyed by a ground-dwelling species known as the Locust. The voice acting is great, the graphics, for its time, were spectacular, if a little drab, and the story is solid. The multi-player aspect, I never really got into, as I was always outclassed andGears of War is a good game with fantastic action set-pieces and an almost creepy setting, with a human colonised world being destroyed by a ground-dwelling species known as the Locust. The voice acting is great, the graphics, for its time, were spectacular, if a little drab, and the story is solid. The multi-player aspect, I never really got into, as I was always outclassed and obliterated by other players. The ability to do co-op campaign takes this game from a 3/5 to a 3.5/5, and defeating the final boss with my mate on the hardest difficulty setting is easily my biggest achievement in gaming so far. Expand
  19. Nov 18, 2010
    Gears of War is one of the greatest exclusives brought to the 360 (Yes it was also on PC, so we shall call it console exclusive) ! A great game featuring some great in-game mechanics such as the cover system. Although you aren't likely to be bored by the awesome story and clips, the repetitive gameplay might bore you after a while though.
  20. Sep 29, 2010
    Dark, bleak and hopeless, Gears of War is the perfect example of an apocalyptic world. It completely captures the feel of an apocalyptic world, in atmosphere, story telling and visual style. The level design is great and all and the feel of the game is spot on, the gameplay is just an average third person shooter. It is tactical but it has a limited variety, making it repetitive andDark, bleak and hopeless, Gears of War is the perfect example of an apocalyptic world. It completely captures the feel of an apocalyptic world, in atmosphere, story telling and visual style. The level design is great and all and the feel of the game is spot on, the gameplay is just an average third person shooter. It is tactical but it has a limited variety, making it repetitive and un-replayable even in higher difficulties though it does add a bit of challenge. Overall, its just a typical shooter game. Nothing special. Expand
  21. Jon
    Jun 10, 2009
    Gears of War might be just a little hyped from the critics. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game but I don't think it's anywhere close to games such as Halo 3 and CoD4. The single player is top notch, excellent presentation and graphics. I do get a bit frustrated with the "brisk jog" (as some of my friends joke). If you're running and you by chance bump into a Gears of War might be just a little hyped from the critics. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game but I don't think it's anywhere close to games such as Halo 3 and CoD4. The single player is top notch, excellent presentation and graphics. I do get a bit frustrated with the "brisk jog" (as some of my friends joke). If you're running and you by chance bump into a barrier, you will take cover behind it. This can be extremely annoying during fights with berserkers and the like. Sadly, where it is good in single player, it utterly fails in multiplayer. (Several WTF moments, expect to want to fling your controller into the T.V.) Multiplayer is garbage; stay away from it. Other than that, a good game but not deserving of the 94 avg. Expand
  22. MikeS.
    Nov 23, 2008
    I was not impressed at all. The storyline was trite and boring, and silly at times. The game play was average, there was nothing "innovative" about it. I caught myself yawning during all of the boss fights--shoot here, mash this button, blah, blah. All I saw, from beginning to end, was basically an over-hyped, button-mashing, shooter. After finishing this mediocre game, I'm stillI was not impressed at all. The storyline was trite and boring, and silly at times. The game play was average, there was nothing "innovative" about it. I caught myself yawning during all of the boss fights--shoot here, mash this button, blah, blah. All I saw, from beginning to end, was basically an over-hyped, button-mashing, shooter. After finishing this mediocre game, I'm still reading the reviews and trying to figure out what everyone is so excited about. Expand
  23. JB
    Oct 12, 2008
    This game has good visual display and satisfying animations and gore etc. - but i find it vastly inferior in it supposed strength - its "innovative" cover system and game play mechanics... The game is way to clunky, slow and generally unsatisfying - with the exception of the chainsaw, I will take COD4 over this any day.
  24. LeonardA.
    Aug 14, 2008
    This is a great game. The acting and story sucks though. I wasn't impressed at all besides the graphics and the chainsaw. Oh yea and lots of blood. Thats about it. I prefer the T rated Uncharted: Drakes Fortune over this. I'm not exaggerating either. Uncharted is superior to this game.
  25. Miika
    Aug 1, 2008
    One of the most over-rated 360 games. A mediocre shooter with clumsy controls and covering system. The gameplay itself is very repetitive. I find it kinda awkward that this game takes itself so seriously. Come on, big men killing big monsters with big guns. Buckets of blood, stupid dialogue and other childish stuff only teenage boys might find cool. Nothing wrong with all that except the One of the most over-rated 360 games. A mediocre shooter with clumsy controls and covering system. The gameplay itself is very repetitive. I find it kinda awkward that this game takes itself so seriously. Come on, big men killing big monsters with big guns. Buckets of blood, stupid dialogue and other childish stuff only teenage boys might find cool. Nothing wrong with all that except the fact that GoW does all that and then says with a deadpan face: "This is SERIOUS". Expand
  26. MiguelR.
    Jul 22, 2008
    Bad single player, horrible plot, stupid characters, and an uninspired universe. The puzzles are terrible and the scripted moments suck. The shooting is the only redeeming aspect.
  27. WilliamJ.
    Jul 12, 2008
    Gears of war is a good game, but is, from its core flawed. The gameplay is basic but changes in the short 7 hour campaign to become varyed, such as riding a vehicle or sniping enemys out. This isn't a deep game and continues to give a basic story, half explaining the full story, and then ending on a cliff hanger. It has texture pop-in, and plenty of bugs. The online is ok, but it Gears of war is a good game, but is, from its core flawed. The gameplay is basic but changes in the short 7 hour campaign to become varyed, such as riding a vehicle or sniping enemys out. This isn't a deep game and continues to give a basic story, half explaining the full story, and then ending on a cliff hanger. It has texture pop-in, and plenty of bugs. The online is ok, but it will only appeal to some becuase of the 1 life per round structure, its also a bit repetitive and has no reward system like cod 4s. The graphics are very depressing and grey. It looks to similar to UT:3, and has clearly taken huge amounts of ideas from the series.The technical side of this game is great, but is showcased in ways that try to show a limit of the hardware, instead of say Viva Pianata that has hugely origiunal charecters and artwork, all not meant to look real. All in all i hate this game but appreciate the unreal engine behind it all. Expand
  28. Mr.Gunther
    Jul 10, 2008
    I feel this game is greatly overrated. Sure it shines at times, mainly during the co-op campaign, which itself is one of the best out there yet far too short. Single player is dull and lifeless however and online play gets very boring very quickly, using the same duck and cover game mechanic over and over again gets old-fast. An intense and gripping 3rd person shooter then that suffers I feel this game is greatly overrated. Sure it shines at times, mainly during the co-op campaign, which itself is one of the best out there yet far too short. Single player is dull and lifeless however and online play gets very boring very quickly, using the same duck and cover game mechanic over and over again gets old-fast. An intense and gripping 3rd person shooter then that suffers from a bland, very grey colour scheme, a campaign that is far too short, repetitive gameplay and a very hardcore "noob hating" online community Expand
  29. Barry
    Jun 24, 2008
    According to Games Master it is the best game they have ever seen. Well, seen is the strong defining word as it was probably the best game to look at around (upon release) but in terms of gameplay, certainly not. Very linear and scripted but to be fair i don't think it deserves to get anything lower than a 6.
  30. IanR.
    May 12, 2008
    I borrowed this game from a friend thinking it was gonna be a definitive title but this game is heavily overrated. This shooting system is flawed and they stole aspects of the game from other games. Like the monster that only hears by sound. Thats from resident evil 4 Its not bad but it doesn't deserve the praise that it gets. The landscapes are beautiful but the characters look like I borrowed this game from a friend thinking it was gonna be a definitive title but this game is heavily overrated. This shooting system is flawed and they stole aspects of the game from other games. Like the monster that only hears by sound. Thats from resident evil 4 Its not bad but it doesn't deserve the praise that it gets. The landscapes are beautiful but the characters look like original xbox graphics. Expand

The hallmark of Gears' weapon design is the balance of powerful tools with critical, exploitable weaknesses, and it's executed with real finesse.
    Each stage is memorable...They all combine for an unforgettable adventure through 36 hectic, desperate hours of a group of soldiers' lives...A visual and visceral masterpiece.
  3. If you're a graphics whore, you absolutely, positively need to pick this game up. To say that Gears of War features "next-gen graphics" is a gross understatement. It's got the most impressive graphics ever seen in a video game, and the stellar art direction only makes it more beautiful.