Gears of War Xbox 360

8.3

1. Merrill
    Nov 8, 2006
    Wowzers 0_o...the multiplayer is so good that I was pretty much speechless. The chainsaws, bombs, brain-plattering headshots, and gore are just the beginning of what is truly a tactical TPS game that defines what Next-Gen means. Props to MS and Epic for giving us such an awesome game and I can't stopping thinking about it as I'm typing this...must go play now.
  2. dangcucud
    Aug 17, 2008
    Glicthy or not; Gears MP gets your heart pounding... in a good way. I hope GOW2 gets things better as in Halo 3; i heard they would be doing something similar *(such as new host selected if the host leaves). here's hoping for the best. GOW2= Must Buy.
  3. matt
    Jan 6, 2007
    Marc S, they put M ratings on games for a reason, they aren't meant to be played by 6 year olds. And how can you give it a 0 if you think it's a great game? Anyway, my thoughts, it really raises the bar for this genre, only once in a while does this sort of game come along, but when it does, you thank god for video games. Unbelievable game, top marks.
  4. StevenS.
    Nov 25, 2006
    Unbelievable. Great co-op, even better versus mode.
  5. JeffK.
    Dec 27, 2006
    Absolutely amazing. When I played, I couldn't believe the graphics, gameplay, etc. The best game I have played to date.
  6. AbdulS.
    Dec 10, 2007
    One of the best games on 360, story could be a little longer, but it is great. the multiplayer is competative and really fun. still best graphics. the only people that do not like this game suck at it.
  7. AngelaF.
    Jan 3, 2007
    This is one of the BEST games out for the 360! The AI is good in this game and so far I haven't found an "easy" way to kill the enemies, except for the berserker on the train, you can make him fall off. Loads of fun and pretty challenging, the weapons are designed well. I especially like how the chainsaw will stop when you get shot at. The controls work perfectly and i really This is one of the BEST games out for the 360! The AI is good in this game and so far I haven't found an "easy" way to kill the enemies, except for the berserker on the train, you can make him fall off. Loads of fun and pretty challenging, the weapons are designed well. I especially like how the chainsaw will stop when you get shot at. The controls work perfectly and i really don't understand how people can say that its hard to use.*cough, NOOB* LOL.. The only thing is that they could have made it a little longer. Still deserves a 10, this game rocks. Expand
  8. Jk
    Jan 7, 2007
    This game is so f*ckin good! It might be a a bit short but things like co-op add many extra hours to this game I've beaten this game so many times but I've come back for more its so frican fun specially playing with freinds on split screen or online co op GET IT NOW!
  9. GearH.
    Feb 13, 2007
    Wow! What a game! The visuals are stunning especially on a huge high def television. This game has everything except a decent length story line, with excellent graphics and intense battles throughout you would hope for a story line that grips you for hours and hours but sadly its grips you just hours. Excellent game and cant wait for the next installment.
  10. SlothM.
    Feb 24, 2007
    Sick game, yes the campaign is short but the absolutely mindblowing graphics, and superb online multiplayer make this a winner no doubt.
  11. Jordan
    Mar 2, 2007
    Best game I've ever played. I highly recommend it to anyone. The 3rd person view took me a while to get used to, as well as there being no aiming dot until zooming in. This game has the best graphics I have ever seen. (especially on the 1080i hi-def lcd) each level has great action. The only reason it doesn't get a 10 is because of the online play. I found it to be a little Best game I've ever played. I highly recommend it to anyone. The 3rd person view took me a while to get used to, as well as there being no aiming dot until zooming in. This game has the best graphics I have ever seen. (especially on the 1080i hi-def lcd) each level has great action. The only reason it doesn't get a 10 is because of the online play. I found it to be a little boring. Other than that. Awesome game. Expand
  12. Ian
    Jul 23, 2007
    This is the most satisfying game I have played in a long time. Although, judging by Storage Box's content, you may not like the game if you are completely inept with first person shooters. Killing in this game is extremely rewarding and only makes you want to kill more. You won't put a round into someone's head and watch them collapse limp onto the ground. You'll blow This is the most satisfying game I have played in a long time. Although, judging by Storage Box's content, you may not like the game if you are completely inept with first person shooters. Killing in this game is extremely rewarding and only makes you want to kill more. You won't put a round into someone's head and watch them collapse limp onto the ground. You'll blow their freaking head off and watch a mess of guts come raining down after hearing them scream in agony! Although, a fair warning, you may not enjoy the story line if you came here for the epic storytelling of JRR Tolkien. The plot of this game is simple. Kill em. Kill em all! Expand
  13. MartyB.
    Jul 8, 2007
    That Storage Box guy is pretty funny. Someday when my son asks me what an idiot is I will show him Storage's review of Gears of War and he will understand.
  14. Mike
    Sep 21, 2007
    While the gameplay is undeniably fun, you have to shut off your brain and ignore the "plot." The storyline and presentation is so ridiculous and poorly executed that the entire thing is absolutely laughable. Character development? Non existent. Was this written by a 12 year old pre-pubescent boy?
    Hey, Epic Games? Fire your writer(s).
  15. Notafanboy
    Jul 9, 2008
    I could go on for pages about this game. One of the few games to deliver. What makes this game great is the features it brings. The chainsaw will keep newcomers happy in a sadistic way for some time, as well as the curb stomp, which after two years is still great fun. The graphics are right up there with the greats, even after all this time. I still haven't put this game down, truly I could go on for pages about this game. One of the few games to deliver. What makes this game great is the features it brings. The chainsaw will keep newcomers happy in a sadistic way for some time, as well as the curb stomp, which after two years is still great fun. The graphics are right up there with the greats, even after all this time. I still haven't put this game down, truly breathtaking. Collapse
  16. JamieD.
    Nov 10, 2006
    This is a great game with a couple shortcomings. It looks great, it plays great, and is a lot of fun. I would have like to seen 4 person split screen and a longer campaign. Versus online is fun, but I get most of my kills with the chainsaw which is cool but I would like to kill more enemies with my gun. Online Co-Op Rocks!
  17. MikeM.
    Nov 11, 2006
    An amazing game that suddenly renewed my interest in the FP shooter genre again. I have to admit I'm a pretty jaded and long time gamer (early 80's) and like many, feared this would be either be another Brute Force or a typical formulamatic shooter. But I was definately wrong. Dead wrong. Forget that this game would put graphic whores in pure ecstasy, but the gameplay works well An amazing game that suddenly renewed my interest in the FP shooter genre again. I have to admit I'm a pretty jaded and long time gamer (early 80's) and like many, feared this would be either be another Brute Force or a typical formulamatic shooter. But I was definately wrong. Dead wrong. Forget that this game would put graphic whores in pure ecstasy, but the gameplay works well that melds halo type action with the strategy of a Tom Clancy type shooter. Repetitive game play? I think not. The coop mode is pretty sweet, but the versus mode simply enhances the games longetivity. Its only 4v4, but the maps are made perfectly accomodating for that amount. Now I only hope if they make a sequel they include 4 player coop.... Expand
  18. Falak.D
    Nov 10, 2006
    This game is amazing. the graphics, gameplay proves that this could be the game to beat Halo 3 but we'll have to wait and see. It was either FEAR or GOW and I guess I made the right decision. The best game for 06' PERIOD!
  19. TonyB.
    Nov 12, 2006
    I think that everybody loves this game only because its the first real next generation game. Sure the graphics and sound are simply amazing I must agree but its the same thing over and over again kill the locust blow up there emergence holes move on its the same thing as any other 3rd person shooter. Another problem is absolutely nothing is destructable. I shot a glass pot and it left a I think that everybody loves this game only because its the first real next generation game. Sure the graphics and sound are simply amazing I must agree but its the same thing over and over again kill the locust blow up there emergence holes move on its the same thing as any other 3rd person shooter. Another problem is absolutely nothing is destructable. I shot a glass pot and it left a bullet hole like I shot a wall it didn't even go through it unless the weapon of the future are extrmemly weak I think we have a problem housten. They spent all that time making the game look good and windows and pots can't break rawr. Expand
  20. Mahfu83
    Nov 13, 2006
    Dont believe the other ratings! These people only rated the single player mode. Multiplayer and online are so utterly amazing that it outshines anything ever created for online. If you love to get the blood pumpin and enjoy edge of your seat competion....then buy this game. The hype was under-rated!
  21. danwarb
    Nov 10, 2006
    Very innovative and original gameplay ;) ;). Great story. Subtle; you're not hit over the head with it. Best visuals in a game so far.
  22. BruinsFan247
    Nov 10, 2006
    Product of overhyping? Possibly. Is it a bad game? Not at all, it fact its pretty darn fun. However, after more than a year of hype, I for one was expecting more innovation and more of everything. Aside from maybe the graphics, which by the way are the prettiest gaming has ever seen, period. I for one dont play games for graphics though. The gameplay is fierce and almost non-stop action, Product of overhyping? Possibly. Is it a bad game? Not at all, it fact its pretty darn fun. However, after more than a year of hype, I for one was expecting more innovation and more of everything. Aside from maybe the graphics, which by the way are the prettiest gaming has ever seen, period. I for one dont play games for graphics though. The gameplay is fierce and almost non-stop action, also a possitive. My biggest problem with the game lies in the controls. I dont like they running button being the same as the cover button. What do you think is going to happen when you run too close to a wall or crate or any other object to be used as cover, its very frustrating to me. The single player campaign is riveting, for a short while anyway. Its only about 6 hours long. Thats not such a big negative to me since I play most of my games online. Anyway its a great game, though not deserving of all the hype in my opinion. Its still a must have for especially for online gamers. Deserving of a "10" or a 100% rating? not to this gamer. Expand
  23. PeterA.
    Nov 10, 2006
    Single player game is difficult and you will die often, but extremely rewarding. Co-op is a bit easier as you and your teammate can keep each other alive (run up t a downed teammate and hit X). Multi-player is excellent for the limited time I have played it. Good team work is rewarded and Rambo-style play will get you killed quick. Not sure if there are the usual CTF and free-for-all Single player game is difficult and you will die often, but extremely rewarding. Co-op is a bit easier as you and your teammate can keep each other alive (run up t a downed teammate and hit X). Multi-player is excellent for the limited time I have played it. Good team work is rewarded and Rambo-style play will get you killed quick. Not sure if there are the usual CTF and free-for-all options. Also finding an online game to join wasn't always successful. Excellent story and pacing. Some decent shock value. Graphically excellent, but sometimes difficult to tell friend from foe at a distance. Controls are intuitive once you select the Legacy configuration (Halo-like) that reverses the functions of the analog sticks. Highly recommended. I would give it a 9.5. Expand
  24. DrewC.
    Nov 27, 2006
    It is an amazing game! This is the first game I played on xbox 360 and it is the best of the bunch. I'm HOOKED!
  25. JonT.
    Nov 8, 2006
    Love the singleplayer and coop. Multiplayer is great fun too. Easily best 360 game out now, so get it and play it!
  26. Themdogs
    Nov 8, 2006
    awesome! i expected alot from this game but i was still overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of the game, and it certainly has the gameplay to mmatch. Very little to critisize really!
  27. JG
    Nov 8, 2006
    A brilliant game in the making, the graphics are the best i've seen on 360, the single player is great even better on co-op, and the multiplayer is perfect.
  28. EdwardW.
    Nov 9, 2006
    This game is a master piece couldn't put it down Can't wait for the enivitable release if GOW2 . It's a great game of players who enjoy cinematic views and great land scapes. The fire fights are as close to real life as u can get.
  29. GM
    Nov 9, 2006
    "Bob J. gave it a3: This game has been so overhyped that reviewers feel compelled to give it a good score. Excellent texturing, solid presentation. Poor, repetitive desgin with little innovation. If you are expecting a classic you will be disappointed. It is as formulaic as they come." Many games have been as hyped and gotten very poor reviews. This person has obviously never played this "Bob J. gave it a3: This game has been so overhyped that reviewers feel compelled to give it a good score. Excellent texturing, solid presentation. Poor, repetitive desgin with little innovation. If you are expecting a classic you will be disappointed. It is as formulaic as they come." Many games have been as hyped and gotten very poor reviews. This person has obviously never played this game. This game assaults all of your senses. The game is amazing and unlike any game I have ever played before and I've owned EVERY system made since the Atari 2600. It's sad whebn someone trashes a masterpiece like this simply because it may hurt sales of the one console they choose to own. Being a multi-console owner and seeing all games in an un-tainted way is pure gaming bliss. Expand
  30. AdamF.
    Nov 9, 2006
    Very good game! The graphics are tight and fluid, very impressive. The controls, though a bit tricky at first, leave very little to be desired. The crouch and cover system is a God send once you get it down. The story is solid. The sound is solid. Only complaints come from the inability to jump and the short campaign mode. Someday, I will get my wish and see a game like this with the Very good game! The graphics are tight and fluid, very impressive. The controls, though a bit tricky at first, leave very little to be desired. The crouch and cover system is a God send once you get it down. The story is solid. The sound is solid. Only complaints come from the inability to jump and the short campaign mode. Someday, I will get my wish and see a game like this with the length of a solid RPG... Expand

1. The hallmark of Gears' weapon design is the balance of powerful tools with critical, exploitable weaknesses, and it's executed with real finesse.
    Each stage is memorable...They all combine for an unforgettable adventure through 36 hectic, desperate hours of a group of soldiers' lives...A visual and visceral masterpiece.
  3. If you're a graphics whore, you absolutely, positively need to pick this game up. To say that Gears of War features "next-gen graphics" is a gross understatement. It's got the most impressive graphics ever seen in a video game, and the stellar art direction only makes it more beautiful.