8.5

1. DavidC
    Feb 22, 2010
    Total disappointment. I've now given up trying to finish it. Enemies are cheap, NPC AI is borderline retarded and having to depend on them (which the game forces you to) is a nightmare, controls are stiff and sluggish and the difficulty spikes are ridiculous. The game will go from tediously easy to insanely hard and back again for no apparent reason. The whole thing is desperately Total disappointment. I've now given up trying to finish it. Enemies are cheap, NPC AI is borderline retarded and having to depend on them (which the game forces you to) is a nightmare, controls are stiff and sluggish and the difficulty spikes are ridiculous. The game will go from tediously easy to insanely hard and back again for no apparent reason. The whole thing is desperately lacking in fun and enjoyment. Beating a level or boss is met only with a feeling of relief rather than satisfaction. The levels themselves are suffocatingly linear with invisible walls everywhere and no sense of exploration. We get get the odd puzzle here and there, but nothing genuinely challenging. The only reason I didn't rate it lower is because the high production values and the game is especially pretty on Xbox 360 with some genuinely imaginative and vivid environments and creatures. I won't go so far as to say that the script and cutscenes are great. Sure, the voice cast do their best, but the script leaves a lot to be desired compared to the quality of the Ghostbusters movies and the laughs are few and far between. Even a Ghostbusters fan wouldn't be missing out on much by avoiding this game. Some may even feel the Ghostbusters canon has been slightly tarnished by this game. Peter Venkman has gone from the cheeky wisecracker with a soft spot for one lady to a downright letch who slavers over girls less than half his age and Janine has gone from being a nerdy receptionist to a dumb receptionist. The bottom line is, Ghostbusters is no fun. Expand

1. Ghostbusters combines a tried-and-true structure with a familiar but fresh license, filling that game with personality and panache - and that's what really raised our spirits. [July 2009, p.72]
    There are some moments that cause the game to stumble, but you're getting a new tale in the Ghostbusters canon, fun gameplay, a whole bunch of stuff to destroy, and some cool ghosts to scan. I felt that the game's ending was a bit flat and the romantic interest was forced, but Ghostbusters is a hell of a ride.
    As licensed games go, it's above average - but given that the film series it is based on was last seen at the cinemas over 20 years ago, it's a bit of disappointment that it still feels a bit rushed. It could have been (and based on pre-release media, seemed to be) so much better.