8.2

1. Jan 17, 2013
    Awesome game back in the day. Classic.
  2. Nov 8, 2013
    I would have preferred to review the arcade version as that is when I first played this game. Still, the XBLA version is perhaps the most loyal port that is almost identical to the original game.

With that said, it's still allot of fun, but today it does really feel dated. In the old days I would have rated this a 9, but my reviews are based on both my old and current opinions.

Overall:
    Golden Axe is, and always will be a tireless classic. However, this game is perhaps best left as a nostalgic memory as the more I play it today, the less I think of it.

1. Golden Axe, then. Big, brutish, three-button sprite-based fantasy brawler with bags of nostalgic moments and inexplicable co-op charm: Yours to buy for the 39th time for just 400 points.
    Co-op play over Xbox Live greatly extends the game's lifeline, and its emphasis on using a degree of strategy and communication over much more frantic titles such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles provides a nice change of pace. Its charm will probably wear off after two or three times.
  3. Between its unlimited continues and crusty looks, you're probably only going to be interested in this game if you liked it back in 1989.