7.9

1. Oct 24, 2011
    Something is REALLY fishy with all the extremely positive reviews of this game.
    I have played all the previous games of the series and i have to say this is the most boring and overrated game of the series. I've played all the previous games and i thought they were pretty good games. After 2 hours of playing i was already bored. I tried to give this game a chance and played for another 10
    hours. Then i couldn't take it anymore. The story is not interesting, the characters are not interesting and many of the previous games gameplay elements have been removed. Even if all the above are just my opinion this game definitely does not deserve 10/10 so many reviewers gave it. Expand
  2. Jul 15, 2012
    In some ways. Perhaps the worst game ever made-
    GTA IV was going to be this generations game that made the HD era worthwhile- it was hyped so much- given 10/10s and considered the best game ever made.... but what went wrong?
    the game has no soul. rockstar had a chance to make something meaningfull and challenge gaming itself- but its shareholders knew a san andreas 2.0 would sell 10
    million copies- so they made san andreas 2.0 with better shooting and less content. disappointment is an understatement.
    apparently there were 70000 lines of dialogue recorded for the peds- you wont care- the peds are bots- no purpose but to get shot- and that should be fine EXCEPT ELDER SCROLLS OBLIVION HAD RADIANT AI 10 YEARS AGO- ULTIMA 7 HAD AI 20 YEARS AGO- gta IV is a dinosaur.
    nikos story is lovely- but thats the problem- take away his story and you have an empty shell of a city- there are lovely graphics- but do the buildings have any purpose? no- they are cosmetic.... the whole world is an empty shell of nothingness coated in a HD sheen- its so disappointing when you realise after 2 hours you have seen everything this game can ever offer.
    gta 5 will be more of the same- there wont be pedestrian AI- other than "hey shoot me"- there wont be any meaningful choices and consequences- the side missions will be tacked on fetch quests that would shame an MMO- it will sell millions but the fans who were tthere from gta 1- who remembered how smart GTA 2's factions system was will not be there- wont be fooled again.
  3. Nov 23, 2012
    Most overrated game of all time! this game sucks so bad. I only paid 20 bucks for it and I feel like I have been ripped off. San Andreas is way better this game is so bad it shouldn't be allowed to have the GTA name. I would recommend Saints row 3 if you like the past GTA's. Rockstar should be ashamed.
  4. Oct 30, 2011
    WOW, that game is just SO bad. First of all the story : by far the worst characters in a GTA game, and the worst story as well : Dude comes into another country searching foor another dude who has betrayed him - revenge time! but ends up saving his cousin over and over and over again , by the worst story and characters. Then there are graphics....and like always the graphics are outdated at least by a year. Music on the radio is so bad for the most part that im just driving with radio off - something i have never been doing in a GTA game. People in Liberty City are so pissed,, even if you close by somebody, he'll say "WTF?", which is just completely inappropriate. Car controls are probably the worst in the gaming history. Then there is multi-player: That's the place where i had a little fun running around with my friends and shooting everything that moves, still the game is all hype, and i still don't understand how did it get 98/100 Expand
  5. Jun 23, 2012
    You will play this game for about 4 or 5 hours before throwing your controller at the wall. There is NO checkpoint system. EVERY SINGLE OTHER GAME has some sort of checkpoint system, but in this game you can die at the very last part of a mission (which could range from 5-30 minutes) and start ALL OVER. Hey though, at least I found out that the game DOES relieve stress, because after starting the same mission over again for the 14th (more or less) time, I went on a killing spree, and it made me feel more relieved. The game is also incredibly repetitive. I can give you the mission layout for almost all, no ALL the missions. Step 1:Something to do with a car. Always. Step 2.Something to do with a car/firefight. Step 3. Something to do with a car/firefight. That's how ALL the missions work. Its incredibly boring. Your phone is also a pain. About every 30 minutes mid-game someone will call you and want you to do something. If you don't do it, they start to dislike you. I would focusing on finishing the horrible story mode first so you can go and hang out with real friends. But, all is not terrible (most of it is though) because of the endgame where you can roam around Liberty City. There is hours upon hours of extra content after you beat the game. The multiplayer is also really good. Its fun to get a friend and just roam around Liberty City. But the terrible story-mode is so terrible, you shouldn't pick this up, unless you find it in the bargain bin for around 10$. Expand
  6. Nov 12, 2011
    A definate step backwards from my personal fave San Andreas. I really don't understand how this crap got a positive score from the "Critics" bunch of shills they are. This is one of the most overated games of all time and I love GTA, but this game is a solid step backwards right into a pile of dog S*it.
  7. Apr 16, 2012
    I don't understand the reason for that all the people love this awful game, the story is different in all the games, but all the games be same, kill, kill, kill, and kill this game is boring, Rockstar Games do better things, but GTA is one of the most boring sagas.
  8. Mar 8, 2012
    i bought this game after buying saints row 2 which was actually gun. whilst i appreciate the fact that this game is extremely realistic, i feel that is also it's downfall that they went for realism over fun. pretty much everything i can do in this game i can do in real life except be russian and shoot people and i have no strong desire to do either. the story is good but small in scale compared to other games nowadays and it didn't really feel like i'd accomplished much when i'd finished with it. imo san andreas was better and this has probably put me off the future installment because it looks just as unjustifiably dull. Expand
  9. Jul 14, 2012
    I didn't buy this game but I played it when I was at my friends house. From what I played the story wasn't very interesting. I didn't really like the shooting and as for the jumping it wasn't top notch. The only thing I found fun was driving around at high speeds and jumping off high ledges. It got boring for me fairly quickly for me.
  10. Mar 16, 2012
    GTA4 is one of the most overrated and quite Liberal games in history. An example, the ingame TV playing "Space Republican's" a cartoon which mocks and portrays republicans as warmongers taking over alien planets and killing their people out of stupidity and for fun. Another example, the "Talk radio" channel that can be heard while in any car portraying "Freedom loving American's" as sexist. They even go so far as saying "Men are the superior gender and women deserve whatever damage they get from men." Almost all of the plot has Liberal undertones. Almost all of the pun's are now outdated and tired. One such joke is that the "President[at the time Bush" blocked off part of the city due to being afraid of a terrorist attack that doesn't exist. This game's "jokes" makes no sense in our modern times. Only Jon Stewart watching brainwasted immature dorks would find these joke's funny. Do not waste your money for a "cinematic" experience, the gameplay just plain sucks. In a game that should be about the sandbox experience and freedom to do what you want to do- One still feels the very linear push to only do what the game's developers make you do and nothing else. Nothing even remotely fun gets unlocked unless you do pointless storyline missions with a less than immersive plot/story-telling atmosphere. The whole game feels like a giant series of tutorial missions where you do whatever you are asked and anything else is wrong. The Critic's are wrong, this game is garbage. Go buy Saint's Row 2 if you really want a fun sandbox game that let's you be in control and do whatever you feel like doing. Also, Just Cause 2 is a fun game if you get a chance, even though it is repetitive at times. Expand
  11. Dec 5, 2012
    Severely over-rated game. Repetitive, extremely bland, no great story and no character anywhere near memorable.

3, vice city and san andreas were all good because they were ahead of their time and did things no other game had done before. 4 was just boring.
  12. Apr 4, 2011
    I have always been a fan of the GTA series, from back in the day when I played on PC with the birds eye view. This was a classic series that was so revolutionary during the times of GTAIII and Vice City. Needless to say, my expectations for this game were very high!

One thing I really noticed when played this game is that Rockstar have really gone for a grand storyline- and in turn the
    gameplay has suffered. The best thing about GTA was the over the top fun you could have, running riot in a city as a criminal figure. This city to me, whilst expansive and scenic, just seemed so bland and lifeless at the same time. There was just not much to do compared to other GTA games, and I felt myself just wanting to get through the missions as soon as I could. In the past, i would have spent countless hours just running pedestrians over for fun, doing the little fun side missions (which seemed lacklustre this time), buying property, starting fights with rival gangs (ala GTAIIi) and just being a general pest in the world Rockstar had created for me. This time- I felt no compulsion or need to do these things, and i put this down to the world just feeling too realistic. Bring back the gangs so i can go shoot up their hood!

Video games are supposed to be fun Rockstar- go back to your roots!

Anyway, many people will enjoy this game but it may be a game you hire instead, or wait until it hits the bargain bins. My personal opinion is that this game is the first GTA that i would not recommend buying!
  13. Sep 25, 2011
    it's just not the tipe of game i like graphics aren't the best game play is not that good cars suck hitting things with cars are just terrible but good car chases and it's fun driving a helicopter and a boat
  14. Dec 29, 2012
    Don't get the hype, there is nothing "revolutionary" about this game. All I experienced was an extremely dull game with often repetitive missions and monotonous combat.
  15. Mar 13, 2011
    I have never encountered a game so over hyped on Metacritic before. Okay, so this game has lots of content, but the quality is **** Bad graphics (lighting is most problematic), terrible voice acting (woe betide Jamaicans, I can't understand a single thing they say in this game), poor design (start a mission-get shot-die-start over-cycle repeats). You get my drift. Just because a game has prostitutes in it does not warrant it to automatically have high reviews! Expand
  16. Jul 26, 2011
    Many in the franchise is missing in this game. The "Busted and Wasted" is removed. Cool weapons like flamethrower and chainsaws are missing.

But what makes it fall flat face on the ground is that the walking thing sucks. You have to press A in the Xbox 360 console to make the protagonist sprint. The cheat machine suck as well, making the game kinda boring based on the destruction you can make.
  17. Aug 1, 2011
    Stupid, over rated and no good. Piece of **** This has no story meaning and nothing of attraction, just guns hookers and a lot of cars. How people like crap like this is unknown. Critics always seem to like useless and unattractive stuff such as GTA4. $9.00 on game market is still too much for this game. They should pay you to take it. This was a let down and basically a huge waste of my time. Expand
  18. Aug 19, 2011
    Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, and San Andreas were all ok... This game is just a polished up version of those games though in my opinion. It has the same awful control scheme, the same repetitive "chase this guy and beat him up" missions... I'm done with the series.
  19. Oct 17, 2012
    Un paso atrás. El anterior título era mucho mejor, esperemos que para el próximo hayan aprendido de los errores. Y que escuchen a los usuarios... Queremos un juego interminable :)
  20. Feb 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GTA4 is terrible compared to SA VC. Can't do anything without cops harassing you.. Not even vigilante missions, which is what's the most fun. Just too many cops roaming around very unrealistic. It's no longer FUN to drive a motorbike (controls, easy death, etc..).. The constant phone calls from "friends" gets so annoying, you have to just put your phone on sleep in order to enjoy free-roam play. 8 max RPGs? --stupid. No minigun? Pigeon completion is a horrendous task. Can't fly planes. Can't freely look around the airport. Helis are scarce. Money is hard to come by after story completion. Story missions are good, graphics are very good, and pedestrian reactions are funny. The best thing about GTA4 is the auto-save. At least you can avoid being stripped of $20,000-worth of weapons, or avoid a ludicrous $10,000 health fee and go back to where you left off. I can't wait for GTA IV Expand
  21. Jun 17, 2013
    GTA IV Has to take the gold for being the most overrated game of all time. Pros: -Lengthy Story, a lot of gameplay available -Sandbox game, can be played an unlimited amount of times, providing you can find something fun. Cons: -Clunky feeling controls and slow character response -Game is almost becoming a normal life for a criminal, where has all the fun things from GTA:VC and GTA:SA Gone?
    -Online provides no actual purpose, only a few sketchy gamemodes and a sandbox mode which most players will choose, however nothing really more to it than the story with a few friends
    -Color seems to have flown out the window, the only colors this game using is Grey, black and murky colors.
    -irritating real life style situations, in GTA IV you can go bowling with a cousin, go on dates with girls and generally do things which you can do for real, however in GTA the fun is taken out of it when you are constantly called or text messaged asking you to do certain things, and if you don't, your relationship with the character drops, resulting in a forced,broken up feeling to the idea of a fun criminal game.

GTA IV deserves nothing more than a 4 or a 5/10, with a few fun things here and there, and if you can actually involved in online and find something to do, the game can provides hours, but really, there isn't anything TO do, other than shoot each other and steal a few cars, sound fun? wait until you try to drive them, the car responses will have you screaming
  22. Jul 22, 2013
    I haven't played video games since 2003 and that was GTA San Andreas for the PS2. After seeing all the ads for GTA 5 I went out and bought an Xbox 360 and a copy of GTA IV in preparation for September 17th. Man I could not be more disappointed. Boring characters, boring story line, boring environments (How they managed to make Brooklyn boring is beyond me), the streets are way too circular and wined-y and make navigating the landscape more annoying than anything else. Visually, the game is incredibly dark and lacking color. No side quests, nothing to do. It's like they took all the freedom you had in San Andreas so you're relegated to the boring story line (and unlike-able characters) they put in place. This release gives me serious reservations about buying the new game. I was bored after 30 minutes. Expand
  23. Jul 25, 2013
    ▉▉▉▉▉┈┈┈▕▂▂▂▏┈┈
    ▉▉▉▉▉┈┈┈▕▂▂▂▏┈┈
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔╲▂▕▂▂▂I
  24. Aug 28, 2013
    Rockstar has been making the exact same game ever since GTA3 came out on PS2. Why are people acting like GTA4 is something different? It’s not, except for two things: it’s on a new generation of consoles and is actually worse than GTA3.

First off: anyone praising the graphics is blind or has never played a video game before this one. Textures are muddled, colors are drab, environments
    are bland, all of which combines to make it difficult to see where you are and where you’re going.

Second: they jacked up the driving physics of the game so now it feels like everything is moving underwater. Turns that used to be simple now send you sliding into walls, which gets frustrating given the large number of slow, crappy cars you seem to be forced to drive in this game.

Third: the stale mission-structured gameplay is exactly the same as it was over 10 years ago. It’s so tedious now. You get a mission giver, you have to drive across town to start the mission, then you have to drive to your mission destination, then back to your house if you want to keep your car. Fail the mission and you have to start the commute again. They have even added in “features” like toll booths now, which create traffic on bridges that honestly make you feel like you are commuting to work because if you charge through them you get an automatic wanted rating.

Oh, and did I mention something about keeping a car you want available? Well, in this game they decided to do away with garages for some reason. You know: the places you used to be able to store vehicles. Now your various pads with have one or two parallel parking spaces out in the middle of the AI-trafficked street and if you park a car there *perfectly* it will be saved. However, if it’s a big car or if the AI traffic knocks it slightly out of place, it will be gone when you reload.

Possibly the most annoying new “feature” of this series is the dating mini-games. You can hang out with certain people to increase their affection toward you, which reaps you certain benefits, but then ALL of them CONSTANTLY call you to hang out, even if you’re in the middle of a mission getting chased by the cops, or in the middle of commuting to do your next mission, or commuting home from your last mission. Whatever. And if you tell them no, even if it’s your own cousin asking you to go bowling again, though you just went bowling with him two days ago, he will get upset and you’ll lose affection. You can’t tell them no.

Also, Liberty City is big but incredibly empty. You will not be rewarded for exploring b/c there is simply not much out there. Instead of secret packages to collect, this time around you have to kill special pigeons, which are very frustrating to find even with the help of a guide. I got to about 20 or so before I asked myself why the hell I was doing it, because I wasn’t having any fun.

Finally, the “story” I keep seeing so many positive reviews refer to is stupid & nonsensical. You’re an illegal alien who begins a career as a professional criminal as soon as you step off the boat. Not much different from any other GTA protagonist aside from not already being a US citizen, right? Except now you’re Borat. AMAZING! There IS NO story! You’re a criminal who makes friends with other criminals throughout the game and then commits criminal acts. *spoiler*

Furthermore, while there may well be 20 hours’ worth of cutscenes (which tend to go on forever) & dialogue (which also never ends during your mission commutes with NPCs), it seems like it was all written by a 10-year old boy. Penis & fart jokes, characters needlessly dropping f-bombs twice a sentence to be “edgy” (I guess), and all-around lame humor in general that makes you roll your eyes and want to skip through every cutscene you come across. Unless you are a 10-year old boy, in which case I guess you’d be in heaven. Maybe that’s the targeted demographic now?

But Rockstar will keep making the same game as long as sheep keep buying it. Anyone who wants to see what an improvement in this genre looks like, I’d direct you toward Saints Row the Third. Not the best game ever, but one that is actually, you know, “fun” to play. Something Rockstar left out of GTA4.
  25. Sep 16, 2013
    I found the game very dull and difficult to get through. The city was very bland and graphically unimpressive.
    The gameplay it self, shooting, driving etc was very boring. The city was boring......the fact that it was just a empty shell really..
  26. Sep 19, 2013
    Un juego que no prenta ninguna novedad para el jugador.Su narrativa totalmente lineal lo comvierte en un juego que cae ante los topicos que presenta.Graficamente notable y banda sonora acertada.
  27. Oct 29, 2013
    The most overrated piece of in its franchise. And no, I'm not the only rational being stating this. Through all these GTA fanboys, there's still plenty of ppl admitting to the fact that GTA IV has been SERIOUSLY overrated, and when I say seriously, I mean: SERIOUSLY!
  28. Dec 23, 2013
    its a good game overall, gorgeous and fast cars, funny at times but one of the biggest cheats i've ever encountered when it comes to missions. very dissapointed.
  29. Feb 18, 2014
    The worst game in the GTA series! The history is boring, the engine is poor, mobility is the worst, missions are boring! The worst bet of Rockstar! I consider lower than the average!
  30. Feb 24, 2014
    The biggest problem with GTA IV is the lack of being able to control your movements. The accuracy is poor and will always do so that you end up in trouble. Camera angles do not contribute to make your life easier and the challenge is instead to be patient with the clumsy steering. What makes things worse is that the game has no checkpoints during a mission. If you die during the mission, you have to redo everything, you even have to drive to your destination.
    Another flaw is that the game's protagonist Niko Bellic who feels very flat and boring. The opposite could be said about Tommy Vercetti in GTA: Vice City.

There are certainly some good things to say about GTA IV, but because of the things I mentioned above do so that everything else relevant end up in the background. The great city that you will have access to will not be interesting if you can not move in it without getting pissed.

1. It's got a world you believe in, a cast you care about and a script stuffed with brilliant moments... Utterly stunning in every resepct. [May 2008, p.79]
  2. Rockstar have surpassed themselves, delivering unquestionably the definitive GTA and perhaps the greatest videogame of all time. [June 2008]
    I could go on and on about why Grand Theft Auto IV is one of the best games we've ever seen and why even folks who are easily offended should play it, but that would be pointless. The only thing you need to know is that you have to play this game. Period.