Grand Theft Auto IV Xbox 360

7.9

1. Feb 6, 2013
    I don't see this game as the "Pinnacle of Gaming" that many reviewers claim it to be. Nor do I hate it for not being exactly that as many disillusioned fanboys have ranted. I see this game to be exactly what it is: Just another GTA game. Great visuals, great characters, great writing, and exactly what you expect a GTA game to be. Overall: Another great entry into the GTA series, thatI don't see this game as the "Pinnacle of Gaming" that many reviewers claim it to be. Nor do I hate it for not being exactly that as many disillusioned fanboys have ranted. I see this game to be exactly what it is: Just another GTA game. Great visuals, great characters, great writing, and exactly what you expect a GTA game to be. Overall: Another great entry into the GTA series, that entertains, but just doesn't add too much new to the formula. A shame in that regard as you can see the potential is there. Hopefully GTA 5 will learn from this and try to be a bit more daring. Expand
  2. Jan 7, 2013
    In my opinion this is the greatest Gta yet. With its vast detail, great story and amazing presentation Gta IV is an extremely entertaining game. In fact it's not just a game but a experience and a great one at that. Not to mention the infinite amount of time that can be invested in the game in the form of Vigilante and other side missions. Well worth every cent used to buy it. 10/10.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    Laugh at me if you want, I just bought this game from Best Buy because one of my friends convinced me to buy the game saying that the game was good and I had to try it out. I really didn't know what to expect going into GTA 4. When I put the game in, I was blown away how pretty the game looked and this is the first game I've played where I love most of the characters in the story. Niko isLaugh at me if you want, I just bought this game from Best Buy because one of my friends convinced me to buy the game saying that the game was good and I had to try it out. I really didn't know what to expect going into GTA 4. When I put the game in, I was blown away how pretty the game looked and this is the first game I've played where I love most of the characters in the story. Niko is a the main protagonist who went to America from Russia to seek a new life. While in Liberty City, a fictional city in Los Angeles, he meets up with his cousin Roman. Roman is a funny character that's in major debt to Loan Sharks. Niko must help his cousin out. While trying to help out his cousin, he meets a girl named Michelle and wants go out with her, but is side-lined from all the work he is doing to help Roman. The characters that you meet early in the game have their own personality instead of being carbon copies of other characters in the game. I have not gotten far into the campaign, but I really enjoy the game and hope I have more fun with it later on. I encourage you to buy this game. Expand
  4. Mar 12, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto IV is just as impressive as it looks. Although it doesn't offer exciting visuals, or great graphics, it is wildly entertaining, and sets high standards for open world games. Controls take some getting used to, but they make sense for the game's combat style. The story is phenomenal, with strong characters, and an incredible (albeit somewhat cliché) plot. It has plenty ofGrand Theft Auto IV is just as impressive as it looks. Although it doesn't offer exciting visuals, or great graphics, it is wildly entertaining, and sets high standards for open world games. Controls take some getting used to, but they make sense for the game's combat style. The story is phenomenal, with strong characters, and an incredible (albeit somewhat cliché) plot. It has plenty of content, fun missions, and great features. Although the game doesn't have much play value after completion of the main story missions, it's easily overlooked. Grand Theft Auto IV is the best of its genre. Expand
  5. Apr 28, 2013
    The number 1 rated game on metacritic,I can see why.This game has awesome combat,fun mini-games and really cool veichles.I can't wait to see what they do in GTA 5.
  6. Aug 28, 2013
    Rockstar has been making the exact same game ever since GTA3 came out on PS2. Why are people acting like GTA4 is something different? It’s not, except for two things: it’s on a new generation of consoles and is actually worse than GTA3.

First off: anyone praising the graphics is blind or has never played a video game before this one. Textures are muddled, colors are drab, environments are bland, all of which combines to make it difficult to see where you are and where you’re going.

Second: they jacked up the driving physics of the game so now it feels like everything is moving underwater. Turns that used to be simple now send you sliding into walls, which gets frustrating given the large number of slow, crappy cars you seem to be forced to drive in this game.

Third: the stale mission-structured gameplay is exactly the same as it was over 10 years ago. It’s so tedious now. You get a mission giver, you have to drive across town to start the mission, then you have to drive to your mission destination, then back to your house if you want to keep your car. Fail the mission and you have to start the commute again. They have even added in “features” like toll booths now, which create traffic on bridges that honestly make you feel like you are commuting to work because if you charge through them you get an automatic wanted rating.

Oh, and did I mention something about keeping a car you want available? Well, in this game they decided to do away with garages for some reason. You know: the places you used to be able to store vehicles. Now your various pads with have one or two parallel parking spaces out in the middle of the AI-trafficked street and if you park a car there *perfectly* it will be saved. However, if it’s a big car or if the AI traffic knocks it slightly out of place, it will be gone when you reload.

Possibly the most annoying new “feature” of this series is the dating mini-games. You can hang out with certain people to increase their affection toward you, which reaps you certain benefits, but then ALL of them CONSTANTLY call you to hang out, even if you’re in the middle of a mission getting chased by the cops, or in the middle of commuting to do your next mission, or commuting home from your last mission. Whatever. And if you tell them no, even if it’s your own cousin asking you to go bowling again, though you just went bowling with him two days ago, he will get upset and you’ll lose affection. You can’t tell them no.

Also, Liberty City is big but incredibly empty. You will not be rewarded for exploring b/c there is simply not much out there. Instead of secret packages to collect, this time around you have to kill special pigeons, which are very frustrating to find even with the help of a guide. I got to about 20 or so before I asked myself why the hell I was doing it, because I wasn’t having any fun.

Finally, the “story” I keep seeing so many positive reviews refer to is stupid & nonsensical. You’re an illegal alien who begins a career as a professional criminal as soon as you step off the boat. Not much different from any other GTA protagonist aside from not already being a US citizen, right? Except now you’re Borat. AMAZING! There IS NO story! You’re a criminal who makes friends with other criminals throughout the game and then commits criminal acts. *spoiler*

Furthermore, while there may well be 20 hours’ worth of cutscenes (which tend to go on forever) & dialogue (which also never ends during your mission commutes with NPCs), it seems like it was all written by a 10-year old boy. Penis & fart jokes, characters needlessly dropping f-bombs twice a sentence to be “edgy” (I guess), and all-around lame humor in general that makes you roll your eyes and want to skip through every cutscene you come across. Unless you are a 10-year old boy, in which case I guess you’d be in heaven. Maybe that’s the targeted demographic now?

But Rockstar will keep making the same game as long as sheep keep buying it. Anyone who wants to see what an improvement in this genre looks like, I’d direct you toward Saints Row the Third. Not the best game ever, but one that is actually, you know, “fun” to play. Something Rockstar left out of GTA4.
  7. Oct 30, 2011
    WOW, that game is just SO bad. First of all the story : by far the worst characters in a GTA game, and the worst story as well : Dude comes into another country searching foor another dude who has betrayed him - revenge time! but ends up saving his cousin over and over and over again , by the worst story and characters. Then there are graphics....and like always the graphics are outdatedWOW, that game is just SO bad. First of all the story : by far the worst characters in a GTA game, and the worst story as well : Dude comes into another country searching foor another dude who has betrayed him - revenge time! but ends up saving his cousin over and over and over again , by the worst story and characters. Then there are graphics....and like always the graphics are outdated at least by a year. Music on the radio is so bad for the most part that im just driving with radio off - something i have never been doing in a GTA game. People in Liberty City are so pissed,, even if you close by somebody, he'll say "WTF?", which is just completely inappropriate. Car controls are probably the worst in the gaming history. Then there is multi-player: That's the place where i had a little fun running around with my friends and shooting everything that moves, still the game is all hype, and i still don't understand how did it get 98/100 Expand
  8. RahulD
    Apr 20, 2008
    Being one of the lucky few to watch this game in action (at a blog's previewer version), I have to say that this game looks amazing. It seems like a clever gangster flick, but in the core is a sandbox game like the previous titles.
    I have a strong feeling that this is going to be the game of 2008 on the Xbox 360, the same way Halo 3, Bioshock, and Call of Duty 4 took 2007.
  9. Apr 4, 2011
    I have always been a fan of the GTA series, from back in the day when I played on PC with the birds eye view. This was a classic series that was so revolutionary during the times of GTAIII and Vice City. Needless to say, my expectations for this game were very high!

One thing I really noticed when played this game is that Rockstar have really gone for a grand storyline- and in turn the gameplay has suffered. The best thing about GTA was the over the top fun you could have, running riot in a city as a criminal figure. This city to me, whilst expansive and scenic, just seemed so bland and lifeless at the same time. There was just not much to do compared to other GTA games, and I felt myself just wanting to get through the missions as soon as I could. In the past, i would have spent countless hours just running pedestrians over for fun, doing the little fun side missions (which seemed lacklustre this time), buying property, starting fights with rival gangs (ala GTAIIi) and just being a general pest in the world Rockstar had created for me. This time- I felt no compulsion or need to do these things, and i put this down to the world just feeling too realistic. Bring back the gangs so i can go shoot up their hood!

Video games are supposed to be fun Rockstar- go back to your roots!

Anyway, many people will enjoy this game but it may be a game you hire instead, or wait until it hits the bargain bins. My personal opinion is that this game is the first GTA that i would not recommend buying!
  10. DannyG
    Jul 20, 2008
    just the fact that it is SO G*D DAMN OVERATED, just look at all those 100/10's its just stupid. everyboddy is just blinded by 3 words: Grand Theft Auto. the got tens probably before they even played the game just because of that name.

because seriously the graphics are totally NOT impressive, not at all and all those weard ass glithes ( and there are a lot of them). the Gameplay is sooo slow.. even a slug is faster.
  11. MattE
    Nov 27, 2009
    This game is redundant in the worst way. It's just a repeat of previous versions. It's incredibly repetitive and I completely lost interest 3 hours into the game. Absolutely doesn't deserve your money!
  12. Oct 8, 2012
    I could go on and on about why Grand Theft Auto IV is one of the best games we've ever seen and why even folks who are easily offended should play it, but that would be pointless. The only thing you need to know is that you have to play this game. Period.
  13. Apr 25, 2013
    Although it may not contain the amount of variety that was provided by San Andreas (which is still the best in the series) it excels in creating a living, breathing open world environment which has not been matched until the release of Skyrim. A must own for GTA fans, open world fans or fans of great games in general
  14. TomL
    May 16, 2008
    This game is dreadfull, the storyline is boring and repetitive, cars still look worse than vice city, acting is ok, multiplayer is a good addition but isnt layed out anywhere near well enough, graphics look a year out of date and the whole customisation area that was brought up in san andreas goes out the window!! I dindnt w8 since san andreas for rockstar do come up with this. giving it aThis game is dreadfull, the storyline is boring and repetitive, cars still look worse than vice city, acting is ok, multiplayer is a good addition but isnt layed out anywhere near well enough, graphics look a year out of date and the whole customisation area that was brought up in san andreas goes out the window!! I dindnt w8 since san andreas for rockstar do come up with this. giving it a 2 is generous. Expand
  15. SimonA
    Nov 25, 2009
    It's a pretty good game but it's the most overrated game ever. The graphics are nice but the feel in the game aren't as good as it was in San Andreas or Vice City. I sometimes play San Andreas and just drive around having fun. I have no desire to do that after i'm finished with the story in Gta IV. The special effects and the story is good but it's nothing fun to It's a pretty good game but it's the most overrated game ever. The graphics are nice but the feel in the game aren't as good as it was in San Andreas or Vice City. I sometimes play San Andreas and just drive around having fun. I have no desire to do that after i'm finished with the story in Gta IV. The special effects and the story is good but it's nothing fun to do besides the story (Killing pigeons for the hell of it isn't my idea of fun). Expand
  16. ChrisC.
    Jun 6, 2008
    It's not great. It's not awful. Just repetetive and boring like Assassin's Creed- I was excited but then when I lost my game save it seemed like a chore to play so I stopped. I'd say that any game that says it offers so much yet only a small percentage of people who play it actually experience it, then I'd say it's not worth full price. I'm confused why It's not great. It's not awful. Just repetetive and boring like Assassin's Creed- I was excited but then when I lost my game save it seemed like a chore to play so I stopped. I'd say that any game that says it offers so much yet only a small percentage of people who play it actually experience it, then I'd say it's not worth full price. I'm confused why anyone makes excuses for this game. Do they own stock in the company? One more thing, I have in the past been hired to 'fill' user reviews on here and yahoo with a team so don't trust any reviews that are 10's on public forums. It's an industry practice that falls under marketing/pr. to fill in gaps so that a game doesn't track poorly. Remember, people get paid on how well a game or movie's scores are on here. Expand
  17. IkanB.
    May 5, 2008
    The game is horrible. It does have decent graphics, but that doesn't make up for lack of character development, pop-ins occurring every other minute, immense load-times and another rehash that everyone has to hype over. I don't see how this game is better than San Andreas.
  18. AnthonyMartin
    Jul 6, 2008
    98 out of 100 ?? WTF?? whatever your critics are smoking is probably used to kill roaches ... Are you kidding ? The cops show up in battalion strength instantly and are impervious to gunfire. And yes the cars do drive like a teflon brick on ice in zero-G. The AI is dumber than cornflakes : If you can find just the right spot under a pier where the majik helicopters can't rape you,98 out of 100 ?? WTF?? whatever your critics are smoking is probably used to kill roaches ... Are you kidding ? The cops show up in battalion strength instantly and are impervious to gunfire. And yes the cars do drive like a teflon brick on ice in zero-G. The AI is dumber than cornflakes : If you can find just the right spot under a pier where the majik helicopters can't rape you, you can watch the cops teleport near your location and then mindlessly charge at you in waves, when of course they are not ramming thier cars into each other. The lazy Rockstar developers just compensated for stupid AI by giving them GOD powers, a very very old trick. Did you guys actually play this game ? Or is it that you are on Rockstar's payroll dude? Expand
  19. GrandTheftAutoIV
    Jul 17, 2008
    Anyone who gives this game lower than a 7 hasn't even played the game. You are just idiots. No I'm not getting paid, but this game IS justone of the best games ever made. Graphics rock, physics rock, multiplayer rocks, it all rocks. The missions might get a bit repetetive, but it doesn't weigh off against everything else.
  20. Oct 2, 2010
    It lacks everything that San Andreas was and whenever they make a new GTA of course it has to live up the expectations of the last game. I feel like it went a step backwards. The city is dull and forgettable, Niko is boring, barely customizable and every other character is painfully plain. The DLC titles however, are amazing, instead of GTAIV, i would suggest buying the The Lost and DamnedIt lacks everything that San Andreas was and whenever they make a new GTA of course it has to live up the expectations of the last game. I feel like it went a step backwards. The city is dull and forgettable, Niko is boring, barely customizable and every other character is painfully plain. The DLC titles however, are amazing, instead of GTAIV, i would suggest buying the The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony, as they define what a GTA game should be.. unique and a hell of a lot of fun. Expand
  21. Aug 1, 2011
    Stupid, over rated and no good. Piece of **** This has no story meaning and nothing of attraction, just guns hookers and a lot of cars. How people like crap like this is unknown. Critics always seem to like useless and unattractive stuff such as GTA4. $9.00 on game market is still too much for this game. They should pay you to take it. This was a let down and basically a huge waste ofStupid, over rated and no good. Piece of **** This has no story meaning and nothing of attraction, just guns hookers and a lot of cars. How people like crap like this is unknown. Critics always seem to like useless and unattractive stuff such as GTA4. $9.00 on game market is still too much for this game. They should pay you to take it. This was a let down and basically a huge waste of my time. Expand
  22. Oct 27, 2011
    Great video game, but to me, it's almost like GTA III but with next-gen graphics and a different map; this game has less missions, less vehicles, and a smaller map than GTA San Andreas, but this may be a good thing, though SA did set up pretty high standards; I don't know why critics have gave this game the highest score of a GTA game; I prefer GTA III, GTA Vice City and GTA San AndreasGreat video game, but to me, it's almost like GTA III but with next-gen graphics and a different map; this game has less missions, less vehicles, and a smaller map than GTA San Andreas, but this may be a good thing, though SA did set up pretty high standards; I don't know why critics have gave this game the highest score of a GTA game; I prefer GTA III, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas more, but Grand Theft Auto IV is still a pretty great game; but once you finish the story missions, it just gets boring; there are side missions, but they just become redundant and a waste of time, and will probably make players resort to strategy guides and walkthroughs if they bother to try and complete this game 100%; San Andreas had lots of variety in side missions after finishing its story missions; GTA IV game is worth playing at least twice because of having two choices in some parts throughout the game; the story is great and original, and have exciting gameplay in them during its run; if GTA IV had more variety in fun side missions, and have properties that could be bought, I would've gave this a 10/10; I guess the developers were trying to stay focused with this game, especially with the story. Expand
  23. strebsb
    May 30, 2009
    Style over substance methinks, missions become repetitive, not much else to do in the admittedly beautiful world. recommended for rental, i enjoyed saints row 2 more than this. what a disappointment, san andreas was awesome!
  24. NikoBelic
    Apr 25, 2008
    i Played this game.
    is utterly boring
    im sure they paid all the reviewers to give high scores the game is so similar to past gta it has only better grapics even the missions are the same!! crap i was bored in 30 minutes also they don't have some options for example no gym so u cant change the appearence of the main character what a letdown! i thought this
    i Played this game.
    is utterly boring

im sure they paid all the reviewers to give high scores
    the game is so similar to past gta
    it has only better grapics
    even the missions are the same!!

crap

i was bored in 30 minutes

also they don't have some options

for example no gym

so u cant change the appearence of the main character
    what a letdown!

i thought this games would offer more options but...

im dissapointed

if it was the first gta it would easilly get a 9/10

but now...

a 5 is enough
  25. Jul 26, 2011
    Many in the franchise is missing in this game. The "Busted and Wasted" is removed. Cool weapons like flamethrower and chainsaws are missing.

But what makes it fall flat face on the ground is that the walking thing sucks. You have to press A in the Xbox 360 console to make the protagonist sprint. The cheat machine suck as well, making the game kinda boring based on the destruction you can make.
  26. Aug 19, 2011
    Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, and San Andreas were all ok... This game is just a polished up version of those games though in my opinion. It has the same awful control scheme, the same repetitive "chase this guy and beat him up" missions... I'm done with the series.
  27. Dec 3, 2011
    Grand Theft Auto IV is amazing, not only is this the best GTA game I've ever played but also one of the greatest games I've ever played. GTA IV gives an experience that is unforgettable. You control a serbian immigrant by the name of Niko Bellic who has come to Liberty City (much reminiscent to New York City) to have a better life, however his life is not easy. Niko Bellic is anGrand Theft Auto IV is amazing, not only is this the best GTA game I've ever played but also one of the greatest games I've ever played. GTA IV gives an experience that is unforgettable. You control a serbian immigrant by the name of Niko Bellic who has come to Liberty City (much reminiscent to New York City) to have a better life, however his life is not easy. Niko Bellic is an interesting character, he underlines the struggle to get out to the top, Bellic captures the mood of GTA IV and he shows that there aren't just gangs or the rich but also people trying to start over again. Niko is unlike the other GTA protagonists because he is not a part of a gang, he is a man of his own that is just trying to survive and he does not keep any connections to the gangs. The story of GTA IV is amazing, one of the best storylines I have ever seen, the story will keep you captivated till the end with options that affect how the story plays out. Liberty City is an amazing place, the city is vast and huge with many interactable aspects, Liberty City is full of life with all the different types of people and all the different things you can do in the game. The last big GTA game was San Andreas, San Andreas may have allowed you to do a few more things but the story, the graphics, and the way you approach things is what makes GTA IV outshine San Andreas. The playability of GTA IV is like any other GTA game, the controller and the player become one, outside of story missions you can do whatever you want with contributes to game completion. Overall GTA IV is an amazing game, all the good aspects of the game come together to deliver this monster of a game, there are like virtually ZERO flaws in the game, that is amazing. GTA IV deserves to be one of the greatest games of all time, it smashes it's competition and it deserves the "Game of The Year 2008" Award. GTA IV is a memorable experience that is unforgetable that not only leaves it's mark in the GTA series but in the history of gaming. Breakdown for "Grand Theft Auto IV": Presentation: 10, Graphics: 10, Sound: 10, Gameplay: 10, Lasting Apeeal: 10, Verdict: 10 out of 10 "Masterpiece" Easily the best game I have ever played. Expand
  28. Nov 13, 2012
    best GTA ever with enxt GTA 5, its all what i can said about this game. ..............................................................................................................................
  29. LukaszJ.
    May 5, 2008
    Clearly the best game of GTA series to date.
  30. DavidA.
    May 4, 2008
    I cannot believe everyone is not giving this masterpiece a 10 the graphics are perfect the story line is amazing I love the fact that Niko sounds just like Shrek with a Serbian accent.
  31. CLIFFL.
    May 4, 2008
    I love it. Been playing for 3 strait days. I play missions until I get bored then I play the side quest ...awesome interweaving of the multiple objectives.
  32. BrendenSousa
    Jul 24, 2008
    First I must say, I don't see why so many game critics hail this as a near perfect (if not 100% perfect) game. This is not to say I dislike the game. On the contrary, I am madly in love with this game at the moment. However I feel that Rockstar really cheated us on this. Sure it has a great story line, better physics, better combat system, and a multiplayer mode (which may or mayFirst I must say, I don't see why so many game critics hail this as a near perfect (if not 100% perfect) game. This is not to say I dislike the game. On the contrary, I am madly in love with this game at the moment. However I feel that Rockstar really cheated us on this. Sure it has a great story line, better physics, better combat system, and a multiplayer mode (which may or may not be a plus to you), but for anyone who truly enjoyed San Andreas, you might feel (like me) that this one is missing something... well actually like it is missing a lot.

I don't know about anyone else, but I loved the "RPG-esque" stat building of SA. That's no where to be seen here. I also sorely miss the massive amount of clothes that were available in SA and the amount of cusotmization that this allowed. The ability to ride bicycles and airplanes was stripped from this one, which isn't a huge deal because they were rather niche aspects of the game, but still, I loved them. And an even bigger slap to the face for me was that the whole world map, was downsized by a sickening amount. All the country side to explore, all the desert to wonder around, all the little places in between cities, all has been erased in this sequel.

Still, you would have to have some serious mental disorder to hate this game. The awesome "rags to riches to rags to riches once more" story line keeps you wanting to play on, and the newly redone relationship system, will constantly keep you doing something for hundreds of hours after you have completed the primary missions. This is one that you will play for hours and hours. And if that wasn't enough to keep you playing for the next several months, they even included a multiplayer system. And while I do have a number of negative things about the multiplayer, I will just say that it gets old fast due to a number of faults that it has.
    In conclusion, I will say this. If the rumors are true, and the downloadable content coming this fall will actually allow us to play in san andreas again, then I will cave in and admit that this game is, in fact, perfect.
  33. olivermartin
    May 28, 2008
    this game is good. im not that far into it and i hope it will get better, but at the moment i am board of the lackluster missions (drive there then hear and maybe shoot a few people on the way) so far theres no real diffrence in the missions. i have herd that there ment to get better but why should i have to do 20 boring missions just to get to the good ones. the world looks verythis game is good. im not that far into it and i hope it will get better, but at the moment i am board of the lackluster missions (drive there then hear and maybe shoot a few people on the way) so far theres no real diffrence in the missions. i have herd that there ment to get better but why should i have to do 20 boring missions just to get to the good ones. the world looks very impressive but to be honeset so far there isn't a huge deall to do at least thats rally fun. (taking my friends and girlfriends out is a real chore, not that you have to do them). the police side missions are enjoyable however. multi player is the best part of this game and has been talked about to death so im not going to. alot of people have said how great the lead character is but i dont really care about him and why should i when he dosn't show any real emotion. the vehicles are the best of the series however the new camera angle is a real let down, you do get used to it but its a real pain going around corners you cant really see whats there untill you have ether hit somthing or untill your well passed the corner. The handling of the poorest cars is down right shocking the is no point in them having a handbrake because even if your driving at a normal speed you fly round doing at least a 180 degree turn and with the poor camera angle you just end up looking at the front of your car. now there are a lot of very good things about this game and i have just stuck to the negatives, as alot of you will have a go at me for doing. but a game that has got this much high prase and so many 10 out of 10s should not really have this many negatives. should it? Expand
  34. WeirdN.
    Jun 25, 2008
    This is a great game but like all the GTA's it has it's flaws. There seems to be more quality control this time round though. There's none of the grind that you find in GTA:SA and the sub missions and tasks seem better thought out and pitched to be fun not a chore. The plot and character acting is simply stunning, I can't think of a game that has immersed me more. You This is a great game but like all the GTA's it has it's flaws. There seems to be more quality control this time round though. There's none of the grind that you find in GTA:SA and the sub missions and tasks seem better thought out and pitched to be fun not a chore. The plot and character acting is simply stunning, I can't think of a game that has immersed me more. You really feel for Niko, and find yourself empathizing with him and his problems even though he's not a very sympathetic character. Things like the internet and mobile phone are well thought out and have the usual GTA depth to them. My main criticism are that the missions are a bit "seen it all before", the aiming and cover mechanics could be more refined and it feels too easy. I haven't needed more that two attempts at any mission yet and I'm 90% of the way through the story. But these don't spoil the fact that this is one of the most polished and ambitions titles I've ever played and I have to say I prefer it to GTA:SA as it is more gritty and adult. I've been playing GTA since the first game on PC, and I hope the series continues to show these levels of ambition and detail. Not perfect, but a triumph anyway. Expand
  35. Aug 24, 2010
    Sure the shooting controls aren't perfect but overall the story and the missions make the game awesome. It's a well-crafted game. I completely agree with score it got.
  36. Nov 27, 2012
    I had never played a GTA game before this one, so I have no reference to compare it to, but I was hesitant to buy this game at first - due to the negative connotations about it in various media outlets. After getting 100% completion in the game I have to say that it is without a doubt one of the best games I have ever played - on ANY platform. As a person who prefers first personI had never played a GTA game before this one, so I have no reference to compare it to, but I was hesitant to buy this game at first - due to the negative connotations about it in various media outlets. After getting 100% completion in the game I have to say that it is without a doubt one of the best games I have ever played - on ANY platform. As a person who prefers first person shooters & sports games, but has never enjoyed any form of RPG, I was impressed by both the RPG elements and the FPS elements. The story-line was captivating, the various missions were interesting, the achievements were top-notch. It was one of the few games I've ever played that was both open enough to explore - and interesting enough to actually want to take the time to explore. It's not many games that will get me to pause in the middle of a mission, just to listen to the insanely funny bit on the radio in my stolen cab. I'm already anticipating paying full price for GTA V (and I RARELY pay full price for a game). If you haven't played this yet, got out and buy it now!! Expand
  37. Nov 29, 2012
    You know, as a lifelong fan of this game, I can't help but getting a rock hard boner for this game. I mean, holy **** Some games follow, this game leads. If video games could lead, this would be like Abraham Lincoln or some ****
  38. rhe
    Oct 25, 2010
    While this game has an excellently realised and altogether human protagonist, a brilliant cast of characters, some cutting edge graphical achievements with one of the best physics engines in gaming today and some stellar voice actors. The only reason I would buy GTA 4 is the insane amount of stuff that you can do outside of the missions and this is where it falls short because the truth isWhile this game has an excellently realised and altogether human protagonist, a brilliant cast of characters, some cutting edge graphical achievements with one of the best physics engines in gaming today and some stellar voice actors. The only reason I would buy GTA 4 is the insane amount of stuff that you can do outside of the missions and this is where it falls short because the truth is that I wanted this game to be as good as GTA: San Andreas if not better and when I popped GTA 4 into my 360 I couldn't help but get bored because there just isn't enough in GTA 4 outside of the missions to keep you busy and while some may say don't compare it to GTA: SA you really can't help it because you expect it to be better than its predecessor but even GTA: SA had more stuff to keep you busy outside of missions. Expand
  39. Nov 26, 2010
    average. not the best gta by quite some way. how this is the best reviewd x360 game on metacritic ever I don't know. Not a disaster, has its moments, but still a very average game
  40. Oct 16, 2012
    Bought this on release date back in 2008, still play it online on a nearly weekly basis with friends! If you're a fan of any GTA, you CANNOT miss out on this one.
  41. Dec 11, 2010
    I've never played a GTA game before, but htis blew me away. A very meaningful and movign story, a great lead character with one hilarious cousin, tie in a love interest and it make for one great game. The driving feels very nice and realistic, and the piles of extra things to do in Liberty City means you'll never get bored, whether it's hanging out with your friends or going for gold in aI've never played a GTA game before, but htis blew me away. A very meaningful and movign story, a great lead character with one hilarious cousin, tie in a love interest and it make for one great game. The driving feels very nice and realistic, and the piles of extra things to do in Liberty City means you'll never get bored, whether it's hanging out with your friends or going for gold in a street race its just pure fun. The gun-play is solid and the chase sequences between you and the police (Or you chasing after someone else) is exilherating. Mulltiplayer is incredibly fun with Liberty City being your batleground was one kick-ass idea, and the wide spread of game modes is awesome, and free-mode is very fun. This is a Must-Buy in my book. Buy this now, and if you hate this game then your either a paranoid parent or a sad little chiild who can't get any kills in multiplayer. Expand
  42. Mar 12, 2011
    GTA IV is an excellent game with a great story and characters.It still retains much of its originality,but in a much more mature way.It does have plenty of shortcomings,but not many will care.
  43. Jan 28, 2013
    Just in case you haven't played it yet and you were wondering if the game is still worth playing even though it's five years years old now. Yes. This game is so detailed and more expansive than anything else on the market as of today. Even though the animated characters aren't on par with today's models, the voice acting is top notch and the storyline pulls you along for quite aJust in case you haven't played it yet and you were wondering if the game is still worth playing even though it's five years years old now. Yes. This game is so detailed and more expansive than anything else on the market as of today. Even though the animated characters aren't on par with today's models, the voice acting is top notch and the storyline pulls you along for quite a raunchous adventure of betrayal and revenge. You'll be looking at a total of 90 missions, give or take, so expect a game that will take you a month to play. I found myself liking all of the characters that my protagonist associated with and the main character himself. Outstanding game that only has a drawback on the "save game" issue where if you have to start a mission all over again, you can expect to spend a lot of time just retracing your path to start the mission again. If you haven't played it, now is a perfect time because you can get the two expansions with the main story for only a quarter of the cost of a new game. Expand
  44. Apr 11, 2011
    Grand Theft Auto IV is most likely the pinnacle of action sandboxers this console has seen. And it may even remain as one, as GTA III did before it. The story is brilliant - it has multiple endings, and whether or not you realize it, your in-game actions impact it. The main missions vary more than previous series entries, and the side-missions also are far more enjoyable. And if your notGrand Theft Auto IV is most likely the pinnacle of action sandboxers this console has seen. And it may even remain as one, as GTA III did before it. The story is brilliant - it has multiple endings, and whether or not you realize it, your in-game actions impact it. The main missions vary more than previous series entries, and the side-missions also are far more enjoyable. And if your not one for story, the sandbox world is one of a kind. You can load up, throw money to a tramp, get a new jacket, pay for a heli-tour, hijack said heli-tour, and stand atop a building with a sniper. Or one of the hundreds of other opportunities Rocktars beautifully re-booted and re-imaged Liberty City has to offer. And go online, with two or more friends, or on your own. That's another world of it's own. Expand
  45. Jun 23, 2011
    I can understand why some people do not like this game. It is filled with flaws, which to some are disappointing, but the main reason it is such a great game because it rises above its problems to deliver such an incredible gaming experience that no other game at the time of this game's release could match.Even after 3 years in the market,this is the game to buy,even more so as you can getI can understand why some people do not like this game. It is filled with flaws, which to some are disappointing, but the main reason it is such a great game because it rises above its problems to deliver such an incredible gaming experience that no other game at the time of this game's release could match.Even after 3 years in the market,this is the game to buy,even more so as you can get it now in under 10 bucks. Expand
  46. Mar 10, 2012
    The Graphics Of This Game Is Just Unbelievable. The Gameplay is Amazing, The Sound, Lighting, And Effects Make Sound Like Your In The Game. Buy This Game Now. You Wont Regret it. I Can garuantee. I Just Keep Playin And Playin This Everyday.
  47. Mar 1, 2012
    GTA IV (along with Uncharted 2,3) is the best game this gen!! I dont care what people say... This game is a masterpiece! It deserves all the praise it gets
  48. neo
    Nov 8, 2011
    The very hyped game Grand Theft Auto IV has been in the stores for some years now, if you look at it now you see that it is really not a bad game. The story is very interesting and the graphics are still nice to look at. The sound quality is great and the voices and radio channels are hilarious. The only real problems with the game are the mood game brings you in. The storyline is sad andThe very hyped game Grand Theft Auto IV has been in the stores for some years now, if you look at it now you see that it is really not a bad game. The story is very interesting and the graphics are still nice to look at. The sound quality is great and the voices and radio channels are hilarious. The only real problems with the game are the mood game brings you in. The storyline is sad and you keep having that sad mood when free-roaming. Furthermore Niko is not as customisable as CJ was in GTA SA. Most of the missions are the same but some of them have some little things added to keep the missions original. Overall this game is not bad but really has some flaws. However, this game is pretty cheap today so it is really worth the money you spend on it. Expand
  49. Nov 22, 2011
    This is the best game in the series and the story is about a russian name Niko Bellic follow his trip to Liberty City and make his life turned into an american dream, the city is perfect, the music was perfect and i think there could be more than 100 music i supposed on the radio, visual arts and graphic are perfect and the name of this engine is "Euphoria" makes it realistic not onlyThis is the best game in the series and the story is about a russian name Niko Bellic follow his trip to Liberty City and make his life turned into an american dream, the city is perfect, the music was perfect and i think there could be more than 100 music i supposed on the radio, visual arts and graphic are perfect and the name of this engine is "Euphoria" makes it realistic not only that, the ability to used phone is perfect but you could play multiplayer if you're bored playing alone and want to play with friend and the decision that effect the story is awesome so the game is perfect as 10. Expand
  50. Jan 17, 2012
    Why are people such haters? I agree, San Andreas was better because there was alot more to do. But in this game, the story is much longer, the main character is more interesting, and the physics are much better too. It is a different style of driving that takes a little bit to get used to. You can play all the way through the campaign and get a good 30 hours of gameplay(there is even anWhy are people such haters? I agree, San Andreas was better because there was alot more to do. But in this game, the story is much longer, the main character is more interesting, and the physics are much better too. It is a different style of driving that takes a little bit to get used to. You can play all the way through the campaign and get a good 30 hours of gameplay(there is even an achievement for beating this in under 30 hours). Once the quest is done, there is not much incentive to keep playing except to hang out with friends, but there really is not much of a point to that. However, after the game is done, there is an exhilerating multiplayer to be played. This is the first time that Rockstar has introduced a multiplayer GTA on console, and they did not just experiment with it, There are ten ranks which basically feels like getting through one prestige on Modern Warfare 2 and every time you get to a new level, you unlock clothes and character models. The multiplayer is one to be played for a long time because it introduces Car fights, mid-air helicopter battles, and even mix-and-match the two on the entirety of the city. Liberty City feels more like a living breathing world more than any other GTA world out there. Expand
  51. Feb 7, 2012
    wow just wow this game is an instant classic, just amazing if you haven't played this game yet (don't know why) just go out and get it, it gives you a good story with unlimited replay value
  52. Nov 5, 2012
    BY FAR!!!!!!!!!! one of the best games i have ever played in a long time!!!!! seriously can't wait for the release of gta v !!! but by the mean time i would just try to wait till it comes out but for now i'd just keep playin dis one!!!
  53. Nov 22, 2012
    This is one of the best games I've played! The story is my favorite in the series, Niko is my favorite character in the series, and this game looks great.
  54. Dec 6, 2012
    Well.......................................................................................................Short and simple: Great game but no jets :(
  55. Dec 12, 2012
    Finally Rockstar have nailed the GTA series with GTA IV. It is just brilliant in every way. Like the car pysics now feal realistic with tyres bursting once you have been doing dounuts for a long time and the sounds of guns are brilliant. I have bought every GTA except gta 1, 2 and London, but I only got GTA IV a year ago and after half a year of playing it I straight away thought itFinally Rockstar have nailed the GTA series with GTA IV. It is just brilliant in every way. Like the car pysics now feal realistic with tyres bursting once you have been doing dounuts for a long time and the sounds of guns are brilliant. I have bought every GTA except gta 1, 2 and London, but I only got GTA IV a year ago and after half a year of playing it I straight away thought it might be better on PC and it was. Anyone who hasn''t played GTA IV go out now and get it and you will enjoy it. Expand
  56. May 7, 2013
    Maybe my all time best game. sure the game has flaws, but it barely affect me enjoying every minute in this game. I got the key to city achievement, took me like forever, but at the end I just like to do this meaningless collective things in this game, mainly because i like to drive around the city. The combat/gunplay is not topnotch, but I dont care, the game just has massive other thingsMaybe my all time best game. sure the game has flaws, but it barely affect me enjoying every minute in this game. I got the key to city achievement, took me like forever, but at the end I just like to do this meaningless collective things in this game, mainly because i like to drive around the city. The combat/gunplay is not topnotch, but I dont care, the game just has massive other things to do than shooting. I gave the time a 10, maybe a little overrated. I don't think in any way this game is a perfect 10, but I just cannot think of any game is better than this, therefore, after comparison, IMO, this is how a 10 score game should like... Expand
  57. May 2, 2013
    I just played and completed this game again for the second time. It is completely awesome and still the best game I've ever played, great open world way ahead of its time, great voice acting, story and attention to detail.

I decided to play this again in preparation for GTA V and show my son how good it was, he is only 9 and loves the iPad GTA games and loved it too. I'm hoping GTA V will have some filter for kids and open it to a wider audience but even without this the game is worthy of the amazing reviews and score that is here.

If you have ever been to New York you will recognize a lot of the places, structures an that just adds a touch of something extra. The driving and feel in this game is different to other GTA games, the driving is a lot harder and you will have to work to control your cars, with that said its much more realistic, you can't just hurl around corners at almost full speed.

The graphics are probably a bit dated now, but the engine is what really started it all for open world games. New engines such as those in Farcry 3 or Just Cause 2 are better, but they owe respect to GTA IV for doing it first and years ahead.
  58. GregC
    Nov 21, 2009
    I was very disappointed. I have played all the other GTA games and this was the worst. First when I installed it I had to create 3 accounts just to play the thing. Second the turn radius is poor the driving is totally unrealistic. Even if you get the worst car the turn radius should not be that bad. Unfortunately this is not just my opinion because a large number of us in the game lab all I was very disappointed. I have played all the other GTA games and this was the worst. First when I installed it I had to create 3 accounts just to play the thing. Second the turn radius is poor the driving is totally unrealistic. Even if you get the worst car the turn radius should not be that bad. Unfortunately this is not just my opinion because a large number of us in the game lab all had the same thoughts. Questing should be left to RPG type games. GTA is a drive down the sidewalk with the FBI chasing you game. Sorry it Expand
  59. Mar 13, 2011
    I have never encountered a game so over hyped on Metacritic before. Okay, so this game has lots of content, but the quality is **** Bad graphics (lighting is most problematic), terrible voice acting (woe betide Jamaicans, I can't understand a single thing they say in this game), poor design (start a mission-get shot-die-start over-cycle repeats). You get my drift. Just because a game hasI have never encountered a game so over hyped on Metacritic before. Okay, so this game has lots of content, but the quality is **** Bad graphics (lighting is most problematic), terrible voice acting (woe betide Jamaicans, I can't understand a single thing they say in this game), poor design (start a mission-get shot-die-start over-cycle repeats). You get my drift. Just because a game has prostitutes in it does not warrant it to automatically have high reviews! Expand
  60. Apr 29, 2011
    I don't understand how anyone who is a fan of this particular style of genre, or anyone who enjoys gaming occasionally, cannot like Grand Theft Auto IV. It gives you the freedom to do absolutely anything you want, and gives you the tools to do it. The missions are fun and interesting, the array of guns and cars to choose from is amazing, and the sheer size of the map is something I haveI don't understand how anyone who is a fan of this particular style of genre, or anyone who enjoys gaming occasionally, cannot like Grand Theft Auto IV. It gives you the freedom to do absolutely anything you want, and gives you the tools to do it. The missions are fun and interesting, the array of guns and cars to choose from is amazing, and the sheer size of the map is something I have never seen before. I cannot wait for the next Grand Theft Auto to come out. Expand
  61. jreb
    Apr 29, 2009
    From start to finish GTA IV is an absolutely beautiful and engaging game. Rockstar has once again done the seemingly impossible by creating a GTA game that lives up to all the hype. The one problem I have with the game is the lack of mission variety. Its a shame that most missions just come down to the same limited structure; which involves going somewhere and shooting a bunch of people down.
  62. Oct 4, 2011
    Re-Playability Value: 10
    Fun Factor: 10

Score: 8.7/10 = A
  63. Oct 5, 2011
    I will be totally honest GTA 4 was the game that made me buy the Xbox 360 and after beating the game twice I have come to the conclusion that it was totally worth it. First of they have made some changes to the gameplay some fans of GTA may like it some may not. I think it was a great idea to make these changes and make the game more realistic rather than using the same formula RockstarI will be totally honest GTA 4 was the game that made me buy the Xbox 360 and after beating the game twice I have come to the conclusion that it was totally worth it. First of they have made some changes to the gameplay some fans of GTA may like it some may not. I think it was a great idea to make these changes and make the game more realistic rather than using the same formula Rockstar has been using for the previous GTAs. They have added a new physics engine which will be in effect while driving and walking, if you get hit by a car whe nyou are walking you fall down and get hurt, if you are driving roughly and crash into a wall or tree you may fall out of your car hurt, if you are driving a bike roughly and you crash than you may land on your head which may result in instant death. Some people may find this annoying but I for one thought these changes were executed pretty well and adds more realism and a real life feel to the game. The wanted level system has also been worked where you have to escape a region in which the cops are looking for you to escape them, going to pay and spray when you are visible to the cops will not work and if you start violence for no reason on the streets with no cops around the cops will still be alerted about your actions. Other additions are the use of the cell phone that you can use to call friends, girl friends and 911, the Internet which has fake websites which the player can use to browse some information, do some side missions or find a date. You can also hang out with you friends there a good number of places to go however they have their tastes and preferences if you improve your relationship with them you will be allowed to call them to help you or provide some services in different situations, all this is alot similar to the dates in San Andreas it is just that conversations are more deep and engaging this time around. The game's shooting has also been improved with improved camera angles, targeting system and controls along with the cover system and the enemies also react differently upon where you shoot them. This improvement definitely made the shootouts in the game more fun and realistic than the previous GTA games. The player can also hire cabs or call for a cab in order to get around faster around the city. Sadly all the vehicle missions have almost been completely removed and replaced with the Cop side missions however cop side missions this time around are more in depth, longer and more challenging. Along with all this the game also has some racing missions. The side stuff in this game despite being fun and very realistic is far less than it was in San Andreas. A multiplayer mode is in the game and it is far better than the one in San Andreas and has a good number of fun modes to keep the player's interest in the game. The game's story is also very well written and engaging and all the game's characters have a different and interesting personality, the main protogonist of the game Niko Bellic specially is a very deep and interesting character with a badass personality and an awesome accent. The voice acting once again has been done really well like most of the rockstar games the actors are into their characters. The sound effects are also more realistic this time around. The music despite being good is a let down compared to previous games but there is still enough variety in the radio stations and good number of songs to keep the player's interest. The graphics are alot more detailed and realistic, the characters models look alot more detailed and realistic, their animations are also much better and environments look extremely real and the shadow, night and daylight effects have also been very well done. This game is the only GTA game to have graphics that are this realistic and detailed. Definitely the best looking GTA game ever hands down. The game's main story will take the player around 20-25 hours in the first playthrough but after that there are enough side missions and side stuff to hold the player's interest and the game's main story also has alot of replay value specially considering the fact that you get to make some decisions during the missions which is an amazing additions and exactly something which the previous GTA games needed add to that the well done multiplayer mode which the player can spend a long time on without getting bored. Therefore the game's replay value and lasting appeal is very high. Overall GTA 4 is an amazing game and definitely one the best GTA and Sandbox games ever made. 9.5/10 Collapse Expand
  64. Sep 17, 2011
    The best game that I've ever played. You won't spend less than 30 hours in the amazing campaign, and there's plenty to do in Liberty City and in the well-added multiplayer. Graphics are not Crysis, but are perfectly okay. Car driving is easy and awesome as in other GTA games. I have more pleasure to play this game than any other, and while I was playing this, time flew. MUST BUY.
  65. Mar 26, 2012
    Grand Theft Auto IV & Red Dead Redemption are probably my two favorite games. I really don't understand how anyone could rate this poorly... Rockstar makes the best games.
  66. Jul 25, 2013
    ▉▉▉▉▉┈┈┈▕▂▂▂▏┈┈
    ▉▉▉▉▉┈┈┈▕▂▂▂▏┈┈
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔╲▂▕▂▂▂I
  67. Dec 29, 2012
    Don't get the hype, there is nothing "revolutionary" about this game. All I experienced was an extremely dull game with often repetitive missions and monotonous combat.
  68. Sep 15, 2011
    This is one of the best, beautiful, immerse, deep, and most importantly fun games i have ever played. Almost every aspect of this game is fantastic. You star as Niko Bellic, a immigrant from eastern europe who has come to the Liberty City to live the "American Dream" along with his cousin Roman. The story is one of the areas where GTA4 shines most. You will grow to love the cousins andThis is one of the best, beautiful, immerse, deep, and most importantly fun games i have ever played. Almost every aspect of this game is fantastic. You star as Niko Bellic, a immigrant from eastern europe who has come to the Liberty City to live the "American Dream" along with his cousin Roman. The story is one of the areas where GTA4 shines most. You will grow to love the cousins and their story of triumph and tragedy as they try to make in in America. Speaking of characters, GTA4 has some of the best characters you will ever find in a video game. From the crazy roid using Brucie to the Jamaican drug dealer little Jacob you will care for each character in your own way. One of the games best characters is not a person. It is the city itself. Liberty City is just like the city it was modeled after NYC. It is a living, breathing character itself with so much activity constantly happening even when you are doing something else. The gameplay has gotten enormously better with a cover system available which comes really handy in firefights with enemies. The driving mechanics have gotten a complete overhaul as well. Now it is more difficult to drive a car. You will have to use the break like a real car and watch the damage the car receives as well. Add on a complete fun multiplayer experience and you get not only the game of the year but one of the best games to grace the new generations of consoles you will find anywhere Expand
  69. Apr 26, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = Don't even get me started. I'll just leave it as . . . MY FAVORITE VIDEO GAME OF ALL-TIME!!
  70. MungAS.
    Apr 27, 2008
    Overrated overhyped tripe - avoid like the plague - how can a game get 100% ?
  71. UsukUsuk
    Apr 28, 2008
    this game sucks, way overhyped nothing really better about it than the other gtas except some better graphics and physics
  72. AssholE.
    May 1, 2008
    Not deserving even half of its praise. Its a OK game, but so were the other ones. This is the same GTA but with better graphics. Most over-rated bullshit ever.
  73. MT.
    May 7, 2008
    Boring missions, can't see anything in the dark, same old game no innovations, graphics are just ok. I fell for the hype and after the overhyped halo 3 this is the last 360 game I bought, this is the game that got me to trade in my 360 and get a wii yesterday and I couldn't be happier!
  74. ChrisR.
    Jan 5, 2009
    *sigh* People are going to hate me for doing this. Folks its alright, and that is at a push. Now as far as a sand box game goes, the concept is pushed far here. But as far as a linear story line game goes, its pretty plain and boring. The Combat, occasionally confusing and not a great amount of skill is involved. Strenious, half the game is just pointless training missions. To be honest I*sigh* People are going to hate me for doing this. Folks its alright, and that is at a push. Now as far as a sand box game goes, the concept is pushed far here. But as far as a linear story line game goes, its pretty plain and boring. The Combat, occasionally confusing and not a great amount of skill is involved. Strenious, half the game is just pointless training missions. To be honest I have never really liked Grand Theft Auto in general APART from Vice City. The realism isnt appretiative in this game. I dont particularly see the fun in this game. Its always up to u to push for some action, it doesnt happen naturally. Basically im saying, if your creative enough and not easily bored, get it or try it. Whereas if your like me, prefer to get right into some action like tucking in to a nice steak pie get Gears of war 1 + 2 Expand
  75. jonathank
    Jan 2, 2010
    This game really has brought GTA to its finest. Although I would prefer San Andreas over this, GTA 4 is a ery good game as it is. THe graphics are very nice, as good as they can get. The driving has improved alot compared to the previous GTA gaes, and even though there might not be a lot to do in the game( ex. go to the gym, pimp your car), they made up for it by making the game feel very This game really has brought GTA to its finest. Although I would prefer San Andreas over this, GTA 4 is a ery good game as it is. THe graphics are very nice, as good as they can get. The driving has improved alot compared to the previous GTA gaes, and even though there might not be a lot to do in the game( ex. go to the gym, pimp your car), they made up for it by making the game feel very HQ. And to conclude my review, something for the people that are saying thre isnt anything to do in this game: quality over quantity. Overall, GTA 4 is really enjoyable, with all the cars and the multiplayer, although i think they could have removed some of the most unused things( the ATMs, other little things) to add one thing that everyone liked in san andreas: car pimping, baby! Expand
  76. crg
    Jan 2, 2010
    Great set piece & immersive world & incredible attention to detail. Excellent story telling & voice acting... but compared to SA its was not as much fun. The mission design was so repetitive, that I wasn't able to play more then a few missions within one session. Beside of that, the game was too easy. And the final mission(s) didn't feel final at all.. I thought Rockstar is Great set piece & immersive world & incredible attention to detail. Excellent story telling & voice acting... but compared to SA its was not as much fun. The mission design was so repetitive, that I wasn't able to play more then a few missions within one session. Beside of that, the game was too easy. And the final mission(s) didn't feel final at all.. I thought Rockstar is trying to fuck with me, when I saw the credits roll ... IMO overrated. Expand
  77. MaxMontgomery
    May 3, 2008
    This game is a masterpiece. If you say it's just like all other GTAs, your an idiot. The online multiplayer sets the bar very high. However, the game did freeze on me countless times and now I have the Red Ring of Death flashing on my Xbox so it gets a 0....
  78. StevenHolman
    Sep 10, 2008
    very poor game, didnt live up to any expectations at all. the new hand to hand combat system is useless, and is un needed. clinging to walls is tedious and glitchy. game has way too many glitches. driving just gets annoying, as well as travelling from and to repetative missions. nothing new since GTA3 apart from slightly better AI (only at times), nicer graphics, with a few more featuresvery poor game, didnt live up to any expectations at all. the new hand to hand combat system is useless, and is un needed. clinging to walls is tedious and glitchy. game has way too many glitches. driving just gets annoying, as well as travelling from and to repetative missions. nothing new since GTA3 apart from slightly better AI (only at times), nicer graphics, with a few more features that are either tedious or hardly used.

the only good thing about the game is the amount of detail that has been put in the city, that makes it feel alive
  79. Johnandrew
    Jun 3, 2009
    For those who liked san andreas better than this....well...they definitely need a brain upgrade or sumfin. it definitely is the best gta to date and graphics are great for the first time. thanks to the realism saints row 2 looked like a sucker in deciding to compete with gta.
  80. JasonK
    May 6, 2008
    This is the first GTA where I actually feel like I am in the game. Magnificent graphics that go unmatched with a sweet storyline. Yea 10/10...the first 10.10 game for me since Halo 2 came out (and that was just for the xbox live!).
  81. VictorM.
    May 9, 2008
    Best game ever
  82. VictorM.
    May 9, 2008
    Best game ever
  83. MGMG
    Jul 19, 2008
    this game was terrible, i am unsure as to what the critics were thinking when they gave this game 100's. I found this repeptitive and even after only playing the other GTA's once or twice i found this to be exactly the same and deadly boring. Mission after mission involving driving somewhere or shooting someone or a combination of both.
  84. PeterHamilton
    Jul 25, 2008
    Here's what I LOVED about VC- radio controlled stuff, Lance Vance- that **** was funny, the soundtrack, helicopter missions, motorbike missions, Lovefist, all manner of retarded missions and side missions, the motorcycle gang race, the feeling when you finally get the mansion.But, most of all, the HUMOUR. SA- bmx, mountain bike missions, the jet pack, the feeling you were on a missionHere's what I LOVED about VC- radio controlled stuff, Lance Vance- that **** was funny, the soundtrack, helicopter missions, motorbike missions, Lovefist, all manner of retarded missions and side missions, the motorcycle gang race, the feeling when you finally get the mansion.But, most of all, the HUMOUR. SA- bmx, mountain bike missions, the jet pack, the feeling you were on a mission with freinds, the forest town of Pine Falls, the country music channel, the flying, that annoying rapper who worked at Cluckin Bell, even thinking back on all this makes me laugh. I played both games 4 times through. Sadly, GTA4 has none of the FUN- it is just mission after mission of shooting people for employers you don't care about. The city is claustrophobic, Niko is a depressing psycho, the radio is awful, the side missions are drive rubbish car and shoot, and the motorbikes are not worth riding. What happened to the fun? What happened to the characters? The humour? nice graphics, pity about the 'game'. It's like playing an endless game of 'snap', just with fancy looking cards. Rockstar- could do better. Expand
  85. Sean
    Feb 9, 2009
    Did I play the same game that the major reviewers played? This game is BORING. The spark that made the past few games truly great is completely gone.

This isn't a chink in the armor; this is a fundamental flaw in this series, and I hope it's corrected before the next one comes out, because I miss GTA.
  86. TomasS.
    Jan 11, 2010
    Brilliant game!
  87. FlavioM
    Jan 16, 2010
    The game is disappointing on the narrative level; Niko's nemesis is not really that, being always in the background; he's not an overshadowing presence, or something lurking in the closet, is a sleeping character without spine. On the gameplay level it's enjoyable and an upgrade on every level on the previous installments. Liberty City is impressive, but less memorable (and The game is disappointing on the narrative level; Niko's nemesis is not really that, being always in the background; he's not an overshadowing presence, or something lurking in the closet, is a sleeping character without spine. On the gameplay level it's enjoyable and an upgrade on every level on the previous installments. Liberty City is impressive, but less memorable (and so navigable) than the previouses cities. It is annoying to always rely on the GPS. Expand
  88. FredBabb
    Oct 16, 2008
    Disappointment City. 30 minutes into the game and I was feeling like I was playing early GTA games. Better graphics, but the storyline and running from cops got a little old in early GTA games, so doing it again in this entry doesn't warrant the rave reviews placed on the game.
  89. JimM.
    Apr 29, 2008
    It's an alright game but putting it over OoT is an outrage.
  90. BillA
    Jun 25, 2008
    Its a shame to see hype play the deciding factor in a games overall score. Many of these review websites are owned and operated based on profit. If a game is advertised well, it receives near perfect scores. Not very truthful. GTA does deliver as promised, however, the gameplay and complexity is almost a step-down from GTA:SA. No game can match the size and quality shown in GTA therefore Its a shame to see hype play the deciding factor in a games overall score. Many of these review websites are owned and operated based on profit. If a game is advertised well, it receives near perfect scores. Not very truthful. GTA does deliver as promised, however, the gameplay and complexity is almost a step-down from GTA:SA. No game can match the size and quality shown in GTA therefore it does deserve a good score. But foes it deserve a perfect score? in my opinion, not yet. Expand
  91. waxdeluxe
    Oct 11, 2009
    The most overrated game in history. Yes the city is impressive, but that dont´t cut it for me. The story? No, I dont care about Nico, why should I? Actually the extra downloadable content is more interesting. To bad that PS3 owners wont get to play these.
    Its not a bad game, but it aint a must. Sorry.
  92. RowanS
    Nov 28, 2009
    I keep seeing people say that San Andreas is better then this game. All I have to say is "All you had to do was follow the damn train CJ!"
  93. AndyK
    Nov 29, 2009
    If I could give this game more than 10 I would. The best Grand Theft Auto ever made cut.
  94. TimmyC
    Jan 17, 2009
    Considering the hype and acclaim, this was an extremely disappointing game as far as the GTA series go. Aside from the graphics and overall feel of the game, it feels like a huge step back. Compared to the size, depth and variety of San Andreas, this game comes up extremely short. Character and car customizations are essentially gone along with the planes and bikes. The missions are Considering the hype and acclaim, this was an extremely disappointing game as far as the GTA series go. Aside from the graphics and overall feel of the game, it feels like a huge step back. Compared to the size, depth and variety of San Andreas, this game comes up extremely short. Character and car customizations are essentially gone along with the planes and bikes. The missions are pretty cut and dry (chase this guy and kill this guy). There are no rewards besides xbox achievements and 100% completion for doing most anything. The available arsenal is stripped down with very few weapon choices It seems like much of the effort that was put into the fun free-for-all feel of SA and VC was transferred over to things like dating and bowling, which are more annoying than fun. I don't play GTA to date girls and take friends to play pool. I'll play the Sims if I want to do that. I play it because of the almost limitless opportunities to create havoc and humor. Additionally, the single player campaign and story is pretty decent, though not quite as good as VC and SA. I wouldn't say it's disappointing however. Overall, it's still a GTA game. It's great fun and has a pretty solid campaign. What I don't understand is why Rockstar seems to be putting a limit on how fun the game should be. San Andreas was far from broke, so I don't know what they were trying to fix by stripping it down. My only guess and hope is that they want the room to hype up future releases. Lowering the bar so that you can raise it later isn't progress, and I'd expect Rockstar to know better. Expand
  95. StevenS
    Dec 10, 2009
    It does everything a sandbox game should, and its got a great multiplayer. Don't listen to the people who give it low scores. Its one of the best sandbox games ever made.
  96. JamesS
    Dec 19, 2009
    This was my first ever grand theft auto experience, so I did not know what to expect , and after finishing the game, I regret not picking up any of the eariler editions. This is the best experience I have ever had with a video game, period. Every mission feels fresh and new (thats saying a lot, considering there is about 100 of them), the interactions between the original and wacky This was my first ever grand theft auto experience, so I did not know what to expect , and after finishing the game, I regret not picking up any of the eariler editions. This is the best experience I have ever had with a video game, period. Every mission feels fresh and new (thats saying a lot, considering there is about 100 of them), the interactions between the original and wacky characters are timeless (even if they are vulgar), I found myself sad when one of the characters died, not because I was sympathetic to them, but because I would never see any of their hiliarious with niko ever again, the story is very well told, with a slow build-up, (but gets very rewarding when the pace picks up, which is only about a couple hours into the game), that ends with a satisfying conclusion, and plenty of unexpected plot twists in-between, the world of liberty city is a great satire of new york city, that feels very much alive, but at the same time, just put a smile on your face with the light mood rockstar had built around the city (for example, the statute of happiness is always a joy to visit), the combat is fun, which is helped by the variaty of the levels, the explosivness of the later levels, and the unrellenting but stupitdity of the cops. The vehicle mechanics are awsome because they are so arcady when the rest of the world seems to be in a driving simulator, it is a strange combo that works very well, as it is fun to run over people and use your car to smash into other cars, espcially during the fast and furious car chases, and I never lauged so hard when my brother got onto a bike and started crashing all over the places running from the cops. The graphics are gorgious, espcially seeing liberty city during the night when all the lights light up. There is also so much to do, while shooting all those pigons may only be for the seriously dedicated (although there is a site ingame that will tell you where those are), all the other things you can do in liberty city are just increadable, from going to see a show by the real life ricky gervais and katt williams, to going to strip clubs, to just shooting down cops, there is plenty to do other than the main quest, which is an astonishing 30-40 hours, which is nothing to sneeze at at all. Best of all, it comes together in such a complete package (with no bugs or glitches, unless the glitches make the game more fun, like the vehicle-swingset glitch, I might add), that it almost feels overwhelming. Without a doubt the most memorable and complete gaming experience I have ever had. I almost wanted to cry when it was over, and then I realised that the game had a rediculusly wacky and insane multiplayer :). Good job Rockstar! Keep up the good work, you deserved that 98, if not higher. I know what I want for christmas (the episodic pack, which I cannot wait to see what you have in store for me with the two expansions) Expand
  97. RenisH
    Dec 31, 2009
    While this game has some excelent graphics, a deeply involving story that makes the main protagonist feel truly human, a brilliant physics system and other main characters that sometimes feel more human than actual video game characters. I really did feel that they cut out too many things that were in GTA:SA and i came out sworly disappointed because the actual sandbox aspect of the game While this game has some excelent graphics, a deeply involving story that makes the main protagonist feel truly human, a brilliant physics system and other main characters that sometimes feel more human than actual video game characters. I really did feel that they cut out too many things that were in GTA:SA and i came out sworly disappointed because the actual sandbox aspect of the game actually began to become very tedious because of the wow factor that GTA:SA had and i basically came expecting the same from this game and its very unfortunate to find that it's been stripped down this much. Expand
  98. PatrickP
    Oct 3, 2009
    Though I believe this game to be highly overrated, it's still a fantastic technological achievement by Rockstar. I feel that the game is diving a little too far into the deep end, with too many worthless mini games and diversions. A more streamlined experience would be more appreciated, honestly. The base gameplay is great: All the developers need to do is channel it.
  99. JacobWilliams
    Feb 7, 2009
    I'd give it 9.5 if that was an option, but since i can't i'm rounding up. Best game i've played in a long time. The few problems it does have are more than made up for by the amount of fun. If you don't like this game, stop playing GTA games.
  100. Kim
    May 18, 2009
    I wanted to love GTA IV, I did. The controls were a bit unfortunate, the friend system is the most annoying game feature since Otis the janitor in Dead Rising, and all of my favourite parts of the GTA series (especially San Andreas) have seemingly run away to elope with Saints Row 2.

1. It's got a world you believe in, a cast you care about and a script stuffed with brilliant moments... Utterly stunning in every resepct. [May 2008, p.79]
  2. Xbox World 360 Magazine UK
    Rockstar have surpassed themselves, delivering unquestionably the definitive GTA and perhaps the greatest videogame of all time. [June 2008]