7.9

1. JBrown
    Apr 30, 2008
    The amount of immature idiots posting is near unbelievable, just because you can't do one thing doesn't mean you give the game a 0 - the game so far for me (i'm about 25% through) is a 10, the reason why? Simple. Its better than the other GTA's, looks fresher, feels more responsive and man anyone who says the graphics are poor needs to get a head check. The attention The amount of immature idiots posting is near unbelievable, just because you can't do one thing doesn't mean you give the game a 0 - the game so far for me (i'm about 25% through) is a 10, the reason why? Simple. Its better than the other GTA's, looks fresher, feels more responsive and man anyone who says the graphics are poor needs to get a head check. The attention to detail is RIDICULOUS! If you ever play a game with this much in it, then its on another planet. What rockstar have done is made a world to believe in, a multiplayer you will enjoy and make the wait for the downloadable content even worse. Small planes/Tanks/More Helicopters please! :) And i've not played the PS3 version. But come ON guys, if the graphics are better, then thats to be expected, the power in the console compared to the 360 is UNREAL. I would expect the entire game to be better but just the graphics? no in game rewards? Sure it makes it better to prank around in, but i'll stick to a solid game with 10 extra hours of DLC every 5 months and achievements to show my game progress. HOORAH Expand
  2. CharlesT.
    Apr 30, 2008
    this game is great the first time i played the thing i was most amazed about were the graphics the only thing I really dont like is that the camera is sometimes bad but thats about it. If i had this choice I would give it a 9.9/10.
  3. CoreyH.
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm in love with this game.
  4. FPSMaster
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm just not seeing where all these 10/10's are coming from. I don't even see how it could manage to get an 8/10. They took out a ton of things that every other GTA game let you do to deepen the gameplay. Is there any point to free-roaming now other than to watch yourself go through a windshiield? Where are the RPG elements and hidden things to find in the environments? The I'm just not seeing where all these 10/10's are coming from. I don't even see how it could manage to get an 8/10. They took out a ton of things that every other GTA game let you do to deepen the gameplay. Is there any point to free-roaming now other than to watch yourself go through a windshiield? Where are the RPG elements and hidden things to find in the environments? The graphics are very jaggy and blurry and constantly jitter even when you're not moving. They never look clean or crisp, something Saint's Row did better in 2006.The character movement is still blocky and PS2-ishy feeling so the animations are stilted and last gen as are the character models and when you go to do something your character may or may not do what you want him to since the controls are still very much broken and very, very sluggish. Fist fighting, gun fighting and aiming are no better than before and they almost always do the exact opposite of your button inputs because again, the controls for them are very sluggish. Vehicles handle like Test Drive 5's from PS1 meaning they do whatever they want, skipping and sliding all over the place making the entire point of GTA redundant now: just stay on foot. The hyped Euphoria engine is a joke and does nothing we haven't seen a hundred times already this gen from physics engines, and in some cases seems a generation behind still. Music sucks, using the cel phone sucks and the text and screen cut-off makes things unreadable. The A.I., explosions, voice acting and lighting are decent, but the same old/same old GTA fetch-quest story mission structure is getting boring after rehashing the same game and the same missions 6 times now. MP seems thrown in at the last minute and lags to Hell and back and just doesn't fit GTA at all. I've been doing these same missions and playing this exact same game since 2001, although last gen versions destroyed this one EASILY. Rockstar can sleep well now knowing they managed to do something no other developer has been able to do up until this point: make the exact same game as the other 5 from last gen, NOT push any envelopes but instead make the same standard jump every other developer has with new hardware this gen, and still have the most overhyyped, overrated game in the history of gaming still sell out and still get PERFECT scores. If the 360 was around in 2004, this is what San Andreas would have been. Meaning there's nothing here that couldn't have been done by any developer given new hardware. Rockstar BLOWS as do "PRO" reviewers.. Expand
  5. JonF.
    Apr 30, 2008
    One of the best games I have ever played and should get game of the year.
  6. JohnC.
    May 1, 2008
    Very good game, but honestly it doesn't seem that different to me than GTA III.
  7. StevenG.
    May 10, 2008
    Amazing game, if only for the story. Best game story ever.
  8. JuhaS.
    May 1, 2008
    This came is like Saints raw 1,5 only thing beter to saints is the driving and physics engine and that ain't much.
  9. JohnH.
    May 1, 2008
    omg this is the best game in the WORLD and wen I say best game I mean best game come on anyone that hasn't and doesnt want to play it must be crazy.
  10. NickN.
    May 1, 2008
    The best game I have ever played by far, I don't plan on playing anything else for a long long time.
  11. MiguelA.
    May 11, 2008
    GTA is the greatest game in history to date.
  12. ArvinM.
    May 1, 2008
    Incredible storytelling, acting, music, ambiance, gameplay, just perfect.
  13. KaneG.
    May 10, 2008
    Yay one of the best Games I've ever seen Right up there with Ocorina of time and Resident Evil 4.
  14. JamesT.
    May 1, 2008
    This game sits a top all others ! The graphics are superb! The online is fantastic! Drinking and driving in a video game has been a life long dream that has come true in this work of art. Cannot put down the controller!
  15. JamesD.
    May 1, 2008
    Great presentation and idea, however failing a mission and having to drive half way across a city to do it again (even with the taxi ride) is just plain frustrating and time wasting. Also the lock on to enemy is rubbish aswell, whats wrong with free aim? Drive, kill someone, cut scene, do it all again and again and again, boring. Sorry everyone, I just dont get the hype?
  16. TomE
    May 11, 2008
    Way overhyped! Not down with cop killing and prostitution.
  17. Jcdx
    May 1, 2008
    Got me hooked straight on. I was afraid that all the hype would be just marketing spam. Fortunately this is not the case and the bubble didn't burst. Just got more colourful.
  18. JenL.
    May 1, 2008
    Rockstar did a fine job updating the look of their flagship franchise, as well as correcting some of the more glaring mechanical issues which have plagued the series for so long. But what bugs me is that the missions are still wildly uneven, both in terms of difficulty and quality. Since this is what most of the game is made up of, I can't recommend this to anyone but the most Rockstar did a fine job updating the look of their flagship franchise, as well as correcting some of the more glaring mechanical issues which have plagued the series for so long. But what bugs me is that the missions are still wildly uneven, both in terms of difficulty and quality. Since this is what most of the game is made up of, I can't recommend this to anyone but the most hardcore GTA fan. Expand
  19. JakeS.
    May 1, 2008
    This game did not let me down. Lots of things to do in here! Multiplayer is great!
  20. JimM
    May 10, 2008
    you cant get better than this. GTA 4 has very decent graffix and great AI. I love this game because you can play it over and over again and not get bored. 1 thing that i found out about it is that they move their fingers unlike in San Andreas. Anyways if you haven't got it, GET IT!!!!
  21. JonW.
    May 1, 2008
    Definitely not perfect, but I think this installment removes the fat from San Andreas and polishes the hell out of what makes GTA so much fun.
  22. MattH.
    May 1, 2008
    This is an incredible addition to the franchise. The graphics are great, the level of detail is absolutely stunning, and the cinematic cutscenes actually keep you wanting to know more. GTA is an incredible game, loaded with hours and hours of gameplay, and in my opinion, is worthy of every ounce of hype its received.
  23. BenjaminS.
    May 12, 2008
    The lack of customization is made up for by one of the best stories in gaming history. the story in this is the first one in the GTA series that was capable of driving a emotional response. they stepped back from San Andres as refined what they had before, and it works.
  24. BlockssT.
    May 1, 2008
    Best GTA ever, theres so much things to do along with a superior multiplayer mode and soon get EXCLUSIVE download contents only for the XBOX360. This GTA4 will keep me busy for years to come. There is no way anybody could give this game less then a 10.
  25. TheDude
    May 1, 2008
    I'm definitely disappointed after the reviews. Very similar to the previous three games. Lots of little additions, like internet, tv, pedestrians do more, drivings a little trickier, but still, 90 percent of the game is spent driving around from job to job(which gets old really quick since we've already done it to death in the last three games), and 95 percent of the game is the I'm definitely disappointed after the reviews. Very similar to the previous three games. Lots of little additions, like internet, tv, pedestrians do more, drivings a little trickier, but still, 90 percent of the game is spent driving around from job to job(which gets old really quick since we've already done it to death in the last three games), and 95 percent of the game is the exact same as before, you're either driving, watching a cutscene, or doing missions just like the ones in previous GTA's. The graphics and engine don't seem very different at all from GTA 3. If you love the GTA series, of course you'll love it, but it's not the revelation to gaming that the critics make it out to be. Rather, it makes me really appreciate what a revelation GTA 3 was, in that this one really isn't that much different, and yet it's still getting a perfect score and being called incredibly innovative all these years after GTA 3 came out. Expand
  26. MattD.
    May 12, 2008
    This game is amazing... You can sit there and watch people go through there daily lives.
  27. AndyR.
    May 1, 2008
    Its a perfect 10 just because of the story. Love it!
  28. VictorM.
    Best game ever
  29. PeterW.
    May 13, 2008
    bob a your an idiot ! how can you rate a game based on the type of clothes the character can wear? Unless your a strange fruit you will be amazed with this ! Graphics arent staggering at first but the level of detail, thought and characters this game has to offer is simply the bomb.
  30. JackD.
    May 1, 2008
    Best game I've ever played... little on the 'naughty' side, but you know - that's what the game is.
  31. ShannonL.
    May 1, 2008
    I dont know why anyone is disapointed withthis game. - By far the BEST and most technologically advanced game I have ever played By FAR!
  32. BobA.
    May 10, 2008
    Offline game play gets boring - And just little things - there is only 3 different types of clothe shops?? and I don't like 1.
  33. MichaelI.
    May 16, 2008
    This game is just amazing. I love this game i'm addicted to it and it's in my opinion game of the year material. Thank you Rockstar keep up the great work.
  34. JensC.
    May 1, 2008
    Very surprised by some of the sour comments, this is the best next gen game sor far. It is a very subtle game in some respects in that you get out what you put in. Sensational IMHO.
  35. KrisS.
    May 16, 2008
    One of the most in depth games I have played in a long time. What separates this GTA from previous installments is the little details you notice that weren't there before. The world feels more alive than ever and they fixed most of the annoying mechanics and got rid of the useless RPG features from San Andreas. It's a throwback and the game GTA III was meant to be.
  36. MikeM.
    May 1, 2008
    As much as I hate to say it, this is the best game I have ever played. If I had to find a flaw with this game, it would be that sometimes the game gives me too much to do at once: I'll be on a mission for person A - say, winning a street race - and while on the mission two more characters I know will call me to do some other job for them. Everything I didn't like about Vice City As much as I hate to say it, this is the best game I have ever played. If I had to find a flaw with this game, it would be that sometimes the game gives me too much to do at once: I'll be on a mission for person A - say, winning a street race - and while on the mission two more characters I know will call me to do some other job for them. Everything I didn't like about Vice City and San Andreas has been fixed, and some things I couldn't even think of improvements for have been overhauled and upgraded. I could go on and on about how great this game is, but because I know some people will TL,DR this already I'll hit a few high points: -Autosave feature that, if enabled, saves the game after every mission (dates etc included). This makes it a lot more convenient to do a bunch of missions in a row without driving across town. -A story good enough to be publishable -Unbelievable police AI: I have yet to escape successfully after the SWAT team is called -Best of all: a multi player experience second to none in sheer entertainment value in the entire history of gaming. Anyone who gives this game less than a 9 is a Nintendo fanboy, a troll, or both; even my 50-year-old mother loves this game. Expand
  37. RobR.
    May 1, 2008
    This game is PERFECT. And I might just have to say that it is the single greatest game of all time. Pros : Great story line, incredible voice acting, good graphics, easily the best physics ever in a game, and too many more for me to include here Cons: Minor (30) to major (10) frame rate drop in intense moments of the game, and the textures pop in sometimes. Overall the Pros WAY outway the This game is PERFECT. And I might just have to say that it is the single greatest game of all time. Pros : Great story line, incredible voice acting, good graphics, easily the best physics ever in a game, and too many more for me to include here Cons: Minor (30) to major (10) frame rate drop in intense moments of the game, and the textures pop in sometimes. Overall the Pros WAY outway the cons. 10.5/10 GO BUY THE GREATEST GAME SINCE... EVER Expand
  38. ChrisM
    May 1, 2008
    I would give it a 97/100, so I guess it gets a 10/10. If you liked/loved previous GTA's you'll love this.
  39. BobK
    May 17, 2008
    GTA4 is an incredible technical achievement; the graphics and detail of Liberty City are a marvel of modern computing. But while GTA4 is a vehicle for one of gaming's most sophisticated programming, the GTA4's gameplay outright sucks (as a fan of the series from the 2D days). In addition to the persistent GTA flaws and glitches, the game is plagued by a baffling control system GTA4 is an incredible technical achievement; the graphics and detail of Liberty City are a marvel of modern computing. But while GTA4 is a vehicle for one of gaming's most sophisticated programming, the GTA4's gameplay outright sucks (as a fan of the series from the 2D days). In addition to the persistent GTA flaws and glitches, the game is plagued by a baffling control system and a physics engine that, while realistic, has turned driving into nothing short of a chore. GTA4 is a bloated monster of a game, tailored to an outmoded philosophy of game design - namely bigger + prettier = better. Not so anymore Rockstar. Simplicity and fun are the way of the future. Would much rather play Wii Sports with my friends than this. GTA4 has everything but the essentials. Expand
  40. ZlatanK.
    May 1, 2008
    It's not perfect as some seem to have expected, but it is masterful. Therefor it deserves a 10 as it is the best game of all time. From the graphics to the gameplay, it is masterful. If you want a game that has detail, you have to get GTA IV. The storyline won't let you go and the gameplay will hold you as its slave. You have been warned. The only flaws you can expect is within It's not perfect as some seem to have expected, but it is masterful. Therefor it deserves a 10 as it is the best game of all time. From the graphics to the gameplay, it is masterful. If you want a game that has detail, you have to get GTA IV. The storyline won't let you go and the gameplay will hold you as its slave. You have been warned. The only flaws you can expect is within the graphics. But these minor and they are inevitable, due to the limitations of the technology within the consoles. The multiplayer is also a fantastic addition to the series and has even enhanced the lifetime of the game that is already spectacular with the single player only. Rockstar has surely managed to set a new standard for feature game titles. Especially those within the "sandbox" genre, which GTA already is dominating. Expand
  41. Josh
    May 18, 2008
    Okay, never take a game review to see whether or not you buy a game, first off, critics judge a game on popularity and hype not how good the game actually is, and that's fact. And user's, well a good portion of people are just stupid sheeps, and most people rate a game so incorrectly as to how they truely feel, I guarantee you everyone taht agve it a 10/10 played for 3 hrs with Okay, never take a game review to see whether or not you buy a game, first off, critics judge a game on popularity and hype not how good the game actually is, and that's fact. And user's, well a good portion of people are just stupid sheeps, and most people rate a game so incorrectly as to how they truely feel, I guarantee you everyone taht agve it a 10/10 played for 3 hrs with the hype image still in their head, came here and rated the game, this is more poorly overhyped than halo 3, can't anyone obtain some intelligence or logic seriously. Expand
  42. EricS.
    May 18, 2008
    This game is okay but not worth buying.
  43. DocK.
    May 1, 2008
    Nothing special as far as I can tell, just a typical GTA game with a few graphical improvements. Story is ok so far, but overall I think the game is vastly overrated.
  44. EmilyJ.
    May 18, 2008
    I will not let my husband play this. There are much better things to do with your time than prostitution, killing, stealing, swearing, drinking, and all forms of immorality!
  45. JoeC.
    May 19, 2008
    This is by far the best of the gta series, redefining the open world genre that it created. Best game ever
  46. LoganS.
    May 1, 2008
    Excellent from the story concepts down to the tiniest gritty detail.
  47. TomL.
    May 1, 2008
    Immersive storyline, fine gameplay, true to life street maps and demographics. A must have.
  48. DrewT.
    May 19, 2008
    Ok let me begin by sying this game blows ass. it blows ass because theres too much blood and that scares me. it obviously deserves a 0
  49. JoC.
    May 2, 2008
    The best game ever. Really immersive and addicting. The whole city just feels alive. Makes GTA III seem really fake like a cartoon. How do they work this magic? I can't even imagine the next one on the future consoles, whatever they are.
  50. WesesC.
    May 21, 2008
    The most amazing and realistic game made to date.
  51. SteveC.
    May 2, 2008
    Same game, (*yawn*), new engine. Driving is terrible but the cars look excellent, characters look awful, acting is worse than Britney Spears. Environment looks great. Missions are "okay."
  52. BrightonG.
    May 2, 2008
    By far the best title in the series. Many issues that plagued the older titles have been addressed and overall feels more refined. Given it is not perfect, The free roaming is great in the context of driving around. But you are very limited on foot by comparison. Its a shame Rockstar couldn't take this a bit further in the direction of Crackdown where you have mroe vertical free By far the best title in the series. Many issues that plagued the older titles have been addressed and overall feels more refined. Given it is not perfect, The free roaming is great in the context of driving around. But you are very limited on foot by comparison. Its a shame Rockstar couldn't take this a bit further in the direction of Crackdown where you have mroe vertical free roaming to do than simply just running around on the streets. Characters are well executed and interesting. The only pitfall that seems to be relevant are the missions. Far too many fetch quests, especially in the beginning. This definitely is Game of the Year Material. But most of these reviews seem far too inflated. Expand
  53. JamesN.
    May 20, 2008
    Repetitive, and I don't mean from the beginning of GTA IV, I mean from the first GTA. There is nothing new, no new weapons, car and missions. the look of the game has improved, but that's the only improvment. As a shooter I was dissapointed, as a driving game, its the same old race, and as an RPG, I personaly have a difficult time relating to an illegal Russan imigrant with the Repetitive, and I don't mean from the beginning of GTA IV, I mean from the first GTA. There is nothing new, no new weapons, car and missions. the look of the game has improved, but that's the only improvment. As a shooter I was dissapointed, as a driving game, its the same old race, and as an RPG, I personaly have a difficult time relating to an illegal Russan imigrant with the annoying accents and the 80's style jogging suits. Save your real cash and wait for the fith edition. Expand
  54. JacobC.
    May 22, 2008
    Only because the ratings go from 1-10 i put 10. If i was able to type it, I would put 1,000. This game is the best ever, even better than Halo 3. Thank you Rockstar. I'm GTA addict!!!
  55. RobertB.
    May 2, 2008
    Best game of its kind. Multiplayer is really fun. Graphics are sweet. It's more realistic, more detailed, more open then previous games. Don't believe the user comments like "PS3 version is better, or framerate sucks, its smooth on PS3" Those are just PS3 fanboys upset because nobody bought it on their console.
  56. YuraT.
    No comment
  57. PaulK.
    May 23, 2008
    This game is the best game I have seen in a LONG time. The story is something you'd expect from the Oscar winning movies everyone loves, and people coming out with this bullshit about it being worse than VC and SA, shut up. Just shut up now. Vice city and San Andreas had characters with 2 dimensional personalities and no development. They had shit graphics. They had ok-ish This game is the best game I have seen in a LONG time. The story is something you'd expect from the Oscar winning movies everyone loves, and people coming out with this bullshit about it being worse than VC and SA, shut up. Just shut up now. Vice city and San Andreas had characters with 2 dimensional personalities and no development. They had shit graphics. They had ok-ish soundtracks, I guess. But other than that, and maybe at a party getting two people in a car and seeing how long they can survive was fun in SA, but all the immense flaws in physics on the other games, especially the fact that doing 150MPH around an 90 degree bend you would STILL leave you alive, have been rectified. This game is not just the game of the year, it is the game of the decade. Expand
  58. AlexR.
    May 2, 2008
    Physics engine is freaking amazing, and the A.I. is actually very responsive to your actions and others around them. I like the new driving model, but the on foot controls feel a bit sluggish when in fast paced situations.
  59. JonathanD.
    May 2, 2008
    this game is incredible; there is not a single reason this game shouldn't get a 10. the graphics are above average, the city is absolutely huge, gameplay is pretty damn good, the story has greatly improved over past gta titles. the only issue ive had is some major frame rate issues but i did the update and now it works fine.
  60. CarlS.
    May 2, 2008
    Excellent game but because of the fact that I have only played the game for about 5 hours I just can´t give it 10/10 for the moment. It is a must-buy game for all GTA fans!
  61. DB
    May 25, 2008
    It is quite simple - this is the best game ever, even compared with MGS, Halo and jet set willy (from the spectrum days). Nothing even comes close to the sheer detail in GTA. How did Rockstar program this in the time they had? Unbelievable. The other GTAs were good but this is really in a different league. Everything that was slightly wrong before has been bettered. Best game ever.
  62. AVideoGameCritic
    May 25, 2008
    A great game that features amazing writing and character development. A bit repetitive, goes on way too long, and lacks a strong storyline but it's still a winner, definitely recommended to anyone even if it's not the best in the series.
  63. TownsendD.
    May 25, 2008
    The best game of this decade, it deserves all the praise it getting. A true masterpiece.
  64. MaxK.
    May 2, 2008
    Simply crap that PS3-version stuck @100%, dont tell xbox is worse. GTAIV best game in History!
  65. Jojo
    May 2, 2008
    I honestly didn't even like previous GTA games. They were cheesy and ridiculous and the characters were two-dimensional. Rockstar however went all out in creating this game. The graphics, gameplay, and story have all been retooled to give what I honestly believe to be the most immersing video game experience to date.
  66. RodrigoL.
    May 2, 2008
    Best game this generation by far. I give it a 9.8 but I'm rounding it so.....10 out of 10 Buy it!
  67. MartinL.
    May 20, 2008
    Keywords: Overrated, hyped, frustrating gameplay, decent graphics, slobby controls, repetetive missions. Brings absolutely nothing new, other than High def & a little more reaction from the NPCs. Funny random melee massmurdering, but apart from that a disappointment.
  68. SteveW.
    May 2, 2008
    it is as good as advertised. the level of detail is unparalleled. here's a quick example that may go unnoticed: if you are sitting in a car with someone on the way to a mission, you will have a small yet plot-revealing conversation. if you fail the mission and have to replay it, you will have a DIFFERENT convo with them every time. it may not seem like a big deal at first, but it is as good as advertised. the level of detail is unparalleled. here's a quick example that may go unnoticed: if you are sitting in a car with someone on the way to a mission, you will have a small yet plot-revealing conversation. if you fail the mission and have to replay it, you will have a DIFFERENT convo with them every time. it may not seem like a big deal at first, but everything about this game is dynamic and will keep your attention Expand
  69. Endo
    May 3, 2008
    If you're saying "mediocre graphics" you clearly haven't played the game in motion and are judging by screenshots. No one has made a world this vast, detailed and authentic yet. Liberty City at night is breathtakingly beautiful. I'm twenty hours in and haven't even hit the crazy missions on the back half, and already I am blown away. I never played any other game in If you're saying "mediocre graphics" you clearly haven't played the game in motion and are judging by screenshots. No one has made a world this vast, detailed and authentic yet. Liberty City at night is breathtakingly beautiful. I'm twenty hours in and haven't even hit the crazy missions on the back half, and already I am blown away. I never played any other game in the GTA series or cared to, but the production values, story, and sheer amount of user-definable gameplay on display here is unlike anything else out available on the 360. This is one occasion where you can truly believe the hype. Expand
  70. xXxKRAUSERxXx
    May 31, 2008
    On the down side it gets boring at times and comes across as repititive, but for the most part you will become addictted.
  71. MarkoL.
    May 3, 2008
    I just have to look at the votes here to see the true picture, loads of 10's and a miniscule amount of 0's and 1's (unbelievable) and a smattering of low scores. The game is huge, with detailed environments, excellent lighting effects and packed full of things to do. If you do not like the concept of the whole GTA series you aint gonna like this, period. That is the thing, I just have to look at the votes here to see the true picture, loads of 10's and a miniscule amount of 0's and 1's (unbelievable) and a smattering of low scores. The game is huge, with detailed environments, excellent lighting effects and packed full of things to do. If you do not like the concept of the whole GTA series you aint gonna like this, period. That is the thing, why people feel they need to review a game and give it 0 or 1, when clearly the time and effort alone involved in crafting the environments warrants a much higher score is beyond me! Yes I agree the general gameplay of the previous series is unchanged other than tweaking the gun play, physics etc, but lets face it there was not a lot wrong with the original games. I think there are very minor and I mean minor issues with frame rates at times but other than that the movement, environments etc are spot on with an excellent and interesting story line, the gameplay is very varied, god I would rather spend hours replaying this than some damn awful overhyped FPS, the FPS genre has been around since the dawn of time and yet they are still as boring as hell after a while, at least this game makes you want to come back time after time, even if it is just to burn down the streets in a stolen car, its pure escapism in a huge believable city. Awesome, enjoy it for what it is, and those of you that cannot accept a good game when you see one......take up knitting or something! Expand
  72. HannesH.
    May 3, 2008
    Nearly perfect! The best GTA ever and a masterpiece of gamedesign! With awesome internet xD!
  73. Andy
    May 3, 2008
    It's really similar to the GTAs from III onwards. It has similar missions, and a similar story progression. The level of detail is astonishing in this new Liberty City. The cell phone feature adds a new level of depth and immersion. However, the same old gripes about GTA remain. Gunplay is unresponsive, and the targeting system rarely does what you want it to do. The mission replay It's really similar to the GTAs from III onwards. It has similar missions, and a similar story progression. The level of detail is astonishing in this new Liberty City. The cell phone feature adds a new level of depth and immersion. However, the same old gripes about GTA remain. Gunplay is unresponsive, and the targeting system rarely does what you want it to do. The mission replay system is vastly improved but still frustrating. You will spend more time driving to that fire-fight that consistently kills you as opposed to actually playing it. It's a good game, but does not make the giant leap this generation that GTA III the generation before it. Expand
  74. BruntFCA
    May 3, 2008
    A great story does not make it a great game on all accounts. I am feeling quite disappointed with the title so far; if I wanted a great story I could just watch a movie, I expect more from a game. KOTRO/Bioware/Fable etc, have been making Moral Choiceâ??s in their games for ages now, itâ??s hardly a new mechanic. So far my choices have mounted to kill someone or A great story does not make it a great game on all accounts. I am feeling quite disappointed with the title so far; if I wanted a great story I could just watch a movie, I expect more from a game. KOTRO/Bioware/Fable etc, have been making Moral Choiceâ??s in their games for ages now, itâ??s hardly a new mechanic. So far my choices have mounted to kill someone or notâ?¦deep. NO matter how amazingly good/twist the end is, I expect to have fun and innovation **along the way**, I donâ??t see how having a great ending should allow a game to get such hire scores. From what I see so far Go here, shoot that person etc gameplay Few real interactive places to go in an otherwise impressive looking city Very few interaction with NPC outside of scripted NPC Money is almost meaningless. no homes to buy, no territory. No flying, no hair customization/car customization. Insane/Outgragoes slapstick humor of SA gone. In SA its not problem that the protagonist is a Psycho since its such a spoof. SO far I see GTAIV taking itsleft a bit too seriously (TV adds aside, Republican space rangers are gold). The main guy is an almost Psycopathic killer with some vague loyalty thing. Expand
  75. StephenD.
    May 3, 2008
    As someone who hated the previous GTAs due to their combat system, this rating is deserved. They finally have good combat and driving.
  76. DonM.
    May 3, 2008
    Good game, especially if you're a GTA fan. But it's not a life changing experience. It's not just more powerful graphics that make it good, the combat system is so much better than in previous GTA'S. I really like the cover and aim system, much more efficient. I would say the graphics are pretty good but could be better. The driving is improved but overall, it's Good game, especially if you're a GTA fan. But it's not a life changing experience. It's not just more powerful graphics that make it good, the combat system is so much better than in previous GTA'S. I really like the cover and aim system, much more efficient. I would say the graphics are pretty good but could be better. The driving is improved but overall, it's more of the same with a few improvements which is a good thing if you're a GTA fan. But if you're not a fan of this game, then I wouldn't get it for the hype. Expand
  77. MichaelB.
    May 3, 2008
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned the tremendous amount of violence, swearing, and immorality that goes on in this game. Parents beware!
  78. Solidzell
    May 30, 2008
    Ok this game is not 10 not even a 9 the graphics is 6-7. this is not ps2 any more this ps3 the nextgen game system if you compare the graphics with mgs4 this would get a 5 for graphics. im starting to get pissed off at people that say this game is great because you can do anything. but the thing you do is not all that fun i rather have a smaller game with better graphics better gameplay Ok this game is not 10 not even a 9 the graphics is 6-7. this is not ps2 any more this ps3 the nextgen game system if you compare the graphics with mgs4 this would get a 5 for graphics. im starting to get pissed off at people that say this game is great because you can do anything. but the thing you do is not all that fun i rather have a smaller game with better graphics better gameplay and amazying story and i mean amazing story and bioshock is a fine example of it not just a game that has a bad graphic striper gaves u a lap dances. this is almost like sims but with the M rating and there are so many games better than this period. Expand
  79. ArttuL.
    May 3, 2008
    Its absolutely the best game in the already amazing series. GTA IV is a must buy for anyone who loves gaming at it's best.
  80. RobK.
    May 3, 2008
    Decent. Exactly like its predecessors but with an extremely annoying physics engine (controlling Niko and driving are both unnecessarily sloppy... It's almost a chore to just go on a cruise through the city) and shiny graphics. A familiar and uninteresting storyline make it difficult to get through the game. Avoid buying this rehashed, made-up harlot of a game and rent it instead.
  81. S.A.R
    May 3, 2008
    I don't know why everybody is saying how awesome this game graphics are, they aren't the best and they aren't even near the best. The shadows just don't look right, and the trees look horrible. The game play is better than the graphics, although most of it, like watching TV, going to bars and playing pool, were just too much like reality to make it worth doing in a I don't know why everybody is saying how awesome this game graphics are, they aren't the best and they aren't even near the best. The shadows just don't look right, and the trees look horrible. The game play is better than the graphics, although most of it, like watching TV, going to bars and playing pool, were just too much like reality to make it worth doing in a video game. It all reminded me of one bad month in my life, when I used to play WOW. I suppose this is a bit biased since I don't like games set in the modern world. All in all, not worth buying, maybe renting, but not buying. Expand
  82. KarlL.
    May 3, 2008
    More GTA with better graphics and a much better story. Lots of new features added, but lots of old features missing too. But still the best GTA yet.
  83. CalvinC.
    May 3, 2008
    I've never liked the GTA series. It only seemed to me that the series was jumping on the mature content bandwagon to garner better sales and press coverage. This changes here. The game doesn't have the violence or sex the other games had, but I'm glad it doesn't, as this gave Rockstar the chance to fix every single issue I had with the game. Better physics? Check. I've never liked the GTA series. It only seemed to me that the series was jumping on the mature content bandwagon to garner better sales and press coverage. This changes here. The game doesn't have the violence or sex the other games had, but I'm glad it doesn't, as this gave Rockstar the chance to fix every single issue I had with the game. Better physics? Check. Characters you actually care about? Check. Refined gunplay? Check. Robust multiplayer? Check. Must-have game? Check, check, check. To quote Gametrailers, "Most games don't live up to the hype, but this is one that does." Expand
  84. DCMike
    May 3, 2008
    GTAIV is a great game despite the hype. Of course no game can ever live up to epic hype but GTAIV delivered on the hype better than Assassin's and definetly better then Halo3. The game plays very similar to Vice City and San Andreas but they just hit everything spot on here. It has the classic comic book feel to the graphics and art, mission based story line and all kinds of other GTAIV is a great game despite the hype. Of course no game can ever live up to epic hype but GTAIV delivered on the hype better than Assassin's and definetly better then Halo3. The game plays very similar to Vice City and San Andreas but they just hit everything spot on here. It has the classic comic book feel to the graphics and art, mission based story line and all kinds of other fun stuff to do. (I played pool for an hour with a girl, then got drunk, got in a fight next to the bar, drove her home wasted, side swiped some cars, outran the cops all while listening to some reggae, then I got laid when I got home! That's just for fun not even part of any mission, HA) That aside the missions are fun so far but the story is the key here, just a great story and some cool characters. Games usually have such lame stories and cheesy talking. Not to mention Liberty City feels like my second home now! People who are arguing over frame rate and glitches and textures are the typical crazy technophiles, I mean when I'm driving balls-out downtown am I really looking in the distance for pop up? No! Just sit back and get sucked into the game for once people, and stop looking at distant textures and crap, this is one game to enjoy! ....back to Liberty City.... Expand
  85. DimOdds
    May 3, 2008
    I bought this the day it came out, popped it in, and wow. Pretty boring. This game is so overhyped, with reviews just flaunting the fact that they had their hands on it first and you didn't. They make such a big deal about people covering their heads in the rain with newspaper, they forgot the game hasn't evolved much since Vice City. What really pisses me off is people saying I bought this the day it came out, popped it in, and wow. Pretty boring. This game is so overhyped, with reviews just flaunting the fact that they had their hands on it first and you didn't. They make such a big deal about people covering their heads in the rain with newspaper, they forgot the game hasn't evolved much since Vice City. What really pisses me off is people saying the story is comparable to movies, even art, even the best game ever. No F-ing way. Plot: Welcome to land of opportunity, blah, blah, go get this car, blah, blah, land of opportunity, blah, blah. Even Scarface was written better than this. And the voice acting is so cartoonishly retarded, like the first time you bone that chick, she gives the most unconvincing, "I'm being F'd good" pillow talk I've ever heard. I'm stilll waiting for a real adult themed game, and this ain't it. Half Life is still years beyond any game out there in terms of story and characters. Buy this if you're twelve and want to giggle. Expand
  86. iRKeb
    May 4, 2008
    I don't get the 100 scores. I just don't. I've been playing this game for well over 20 hours, and while it's good, it is nowhere near a perfect score. The camera sucks, melee fighting is sloppy, driving cars is a study in frustration and is clunky and counter fluid, your characters movements like turning and running are mechanical and just plain pathetic, and I don't get the 100 scores. I just don't. I've been playing this game for well over 20 hours, and while it's good, it is nowhere near a perfect score. The camera sucks, melee fighting is sloppy, driving cars is a study in frustration and is clunky and counter fluid, your characters movements like turning and running are mechanical and just plain pathetic, and what's with the cops? I punch one guy in the face and the cops are all over my ass. That's not fun, that's anti-fun. Did nobody play Saints Row? The first game is far superior to all the things I mentioned above. Saints Row 2 will blow this away. Sorry, but this game is frustrating, even after all the time I've put into it. Expand
  87. HarveyW.
    May 5, 2008
    GTA 4 is a very good game, but it is not the Holy Grail of gaming that the publisher-influenced reviews in the gaming press would have you believe. In just the past 12 months, there have been several better games released, including Call of Duty 4, Bioshock, and Valve's Orange Box (includes Half Life 2 and 2 additional episodes, plus Portal and Team Fortress 2).
  88. JaronR.
    May 5, 2008
    Overall a quality game, but a 10? Not a chance in hell. No use for money except hospital bills which are arbitrarily a % of your total worth, no properties, no way to expand your empire. Dismal targeting, unexceptional graphics, and zero innovation. That said, it's entertaining, and the cast of characters is fantastic.
    May 5, 2008
    Truly amazing game. I'm glad they finally added cover to the game play and it works perfectly. There are so many things to do and places to see that you'll probably not run out of things to do until GTA V.
  90. AnonymousMC
    May 5, 2008
    I was on the verge of retiring from my video game career until my buddy showed me this monster. After around two hours into the game, I bought it and the damn SYSTEM during the visit. I'll just say that GTA IV is worthy of it's near-perfect professional reviews. The only downside to this entertainment is the price of admission. The cost of the hardware and the game itselfI was on the verge of retiring from my video game career until my buddy showed me this monster. After around two hours into the game, I bought it and the damn SYSTEM during the visit. I'll just say that GTA IV is worthy of it's near-perfect professional reviews. The only downside to this entertainment is the price of admission. The cost of the hardware and the game itself could feed a small village in the third world for 6 months. If you're looking to buy this game, try it first. Hell, you might be one of the angry basement dwellers that could give this a 0. Expand
  91. JitoM.
    May 5, 2008
    You're gonna need some "Hot Coffee" cause this game is gonna keep you up for weeks. 10 outta 10 breda!
  92. JosephD.
    May 5, 2008
    Great game, best in series? Yes, but not by as much as everyone would like you to believe... In other words its a great game, but not even best game in past 12 months let alone of all time... I wouldn't even put it in top 10 of all time... but still, GREAT game, worthy of purchase... just not the greatest game in the history of the universe. Simply a great game like the many other Great game, best in series? Yes, but not by as much as everyone would like you to believe... In other words its a great game, but not even best game in past 12 months let alone of all time... I wouldn't even put it in top 10 of all time... but still, GREAT game, worthy of purchase... just not the greatest game in the history of the universe. Simply a great game like the many other great games lately, nothing more, noting less. Expand
  93. I.L.
    May 6, 2008
    Good, but not as amazing as everyone says, though the script is a work of genius (especially the radio stations), the gameplay is somewhat shallow.
  94. joed
    Fantastic!
  95. MistahB.
    May 6, 2008
    The critics need to be more critical. This game is very entertaining, and an fantastic accomplishment. But these scores of 100 out of 100 suggest that there is zero room for improvement. If we rate a game like this with a perfect score, then we're not going to give the developers a reason to try to improve on it. And there is room for improvement. I love the cinematic storytelling, The critics need to be more critical. This game is very entertaining, and an fantastic accomplishment. But these scores of 100 out of 100 suggest that there is zero room for improvement. If we rate a game like this with a perfect score, then we're not going to give the developers a reason to try to improve on it. And there is room for improvement. I love the cinematic storytelling, the wide-open world, the dark humor, and the other things that have made the series so popular. But picture going into the strip club and having the girls look like the girls in DOA Volleyball. Picture pulling out your weapon and having Halo gunplay physics and control. Picture getting into your car and having PGR road physics. Picture walking up to any building in the city and being able to walk inside, pick up any object, sell the object, and use the money to upgrade your character, as in Oblivion. Clearly, all these technologies exist elsewhere in the gaming industry. Until I see it all in one game, I won't see a game worthy of a 100 out of 100 score. However, all that said, I am now on my way back to Liberty City to enjoy the incredible experience Rockstar has created for us. Expand
  96. OwenM
    May 6, 2008
    Its a pretty good game. It's a little too much of the same for my liking. But once the story is finished there is a lot of fun to be had in multiplayer.
  97. BruntFCAFCA
    May 6, 2008
    Better graphics, less gameplay than prior games. Nothing to do with money, no gambling, pointless mini games, very few real buildings to enter. Boring repetative missions. It also suffers from well documented Freezing/Crashing and Pop-Up, so no way is it 10/10. Main character is a 2 dimensional psychotic loser. Most NPC are sterotypes. One the hype dies down, I think a lot of ppl are Better graphics, less gameplay than prior games. Nothing to do with money, no gambling, pointless mini games, very few real buildings to enter. Boring repetative missions. It also suffers from well documented Freezing/Crashing and Pop-Up, so no way is it 10/10. Main character is a 2 dimensional psychotic loser. Most NPC are sterotypes. One the hype dies down, I think a lot of ppl are going to trade this in. Expand
  98. BertieV
    May 6, 2008
    Greatest game ever played. End of discussion.
  99. TylerC.
    May 6, 2008
    Great game play, great story, the racing is decent, awesome graphics and the online play is pretty good considering its a first try for the series. plus, once your done you always have the random killing sprees
  100. AndyV
    May 6, 2008
    Not without its flaws, but probably the best game to be released this year. Character development far excedes anything seen in previous gta games and the story is actually engaging.

1. It's got a world you believe in, a cast you care about and a script stuffed with brilliant moments... Utterly stunning in every resepct. [May 2008, p.79]
  2. Rockstar have surpassed themselves, delivering unquestionably the definitive GTA and perhaps the greatest videogame of all time. [June 2008]
    I could go on and on about why Grand Theft Auto IV is one of the best games we've ever seen and why even folks who are easily offended should play it, but that would be pointless. The only thing you need to know is that you have to play this game. Period.