Grand Theft Auto IV Xbox 360

7.9

1. JamesT.
    May 1, 2008
    This game sits a top all others ! The graphics are superb! The online is fantastic! Drinking and driving in a video game has been a life long dream that has come true in this work of art. Cannot put down the controller!
  2. DenizY.
    May 1, 2008
    Always something new to discover, the detail is astounding... What sucks is that there are no servers or filters in multiplayer. Finding a server that does not use autoaim can be a real bitch, autoaim just kills the game!
  3. JamesD.
    May 1, 2008
    Great presentation and idea, however failing a mission and having to drive half way across a city to do it again (even with the taxi ride) is just plain frustrating and time wasting. Also the lock on to enemy is rubbish aswell, whats wrong with free aim? Drive, kill someone, cut scene, do it all again and again and again, boring. Sorry everyone, I just dont get the hype?
  4. MarkW.
    May 1, 2008
    Probably the best thing to come out on the next generation to date - I could go on about so many features I love about the game but the one thing that really stands out for me is the multiplayer - I was expecting this to be the weakest aspect of the game but city-wide battles with no boundaries are part of the reason the multi-player for this game adds a fourth dimension. Those who have Probably the best thing to come out on the next generation to date - I could go on about so many features I love about the game but the one thing that really stands out for me is the multiplayer - I was expecting this to be the weakest aspect of the game but city-wide battles with no boundaries are part of the reason the multi-player for this game adds a fourth dimension. Those who have found the storyline similar to other GTA's might one to try this online mode. My online highlight so far - a cop car chase down Times Square. I know you will love it too. Expand
  5. DanH.
    May 1, 2008
    For every really cool thing about GTA, there's something that really stands out as crappy. The map system is dysfuctional at best, with the game choosing to not show you many locations at times(such as your house, which is the only place you can save the game), not allowing you to cancel a mission you have already started, and having shitty motorcycle driving. These may sound like For every really cool thing about GTA, there's something that really stands out as crappy. The map system is dysfuctional at best, with the game choosing to not show you many locations at times(such as your house, which is the only place you can save the game), not allowing you to cancel a mission you have already started, and having shitty motorcycle driving. These may sound like nitpicks, but they seriously impact the player's game experience when one has to spend 45 minutes redoing the same damn mission over and over because if you touch a car while on a bike you fly off and lose the mission. Missions where you have to face 20 or 30 guys with the same weapons as you and no support are also fun (not). This is the first GTA game I have ever owned, and at this point (25% missions completed) I am not at all impressed. Sure, it HAS everything, but it doesn't do anything well. Driving is better done by Forza and Gran Turismo, shooting is better done by Halo and Call of Duty, the whole open-world-with-one-character thing is done better by Crackdown. Graphics are subpar to virtually every other major 360 game, although they are not bad. Why is this game so highly rated? "It's Grand Theft Auto . . . FOUR!!!" so it has to be good. "It has TWENTY radio stations and interactive in-game computers and TV stations!!!" If that sort of thing is what you value in a game, then I encourage you to get this game. If you like playability without frustration, find any of the other genre games I listed above. Expand
  6. MarkoK.
    May 1, 2008
    A very, very good sequel. Not just improved graphics, but a very nice story with great AI and most of all, more realistic gameplay. The humor is still there, but it's embedded into the details and not as aggressive as it used to be. Niko, as the main character, is more realistic and not just a trigger-happy killer. Excellent game engine, fabulous gameplay, wonderful, rich world to A very, very good sequel. Not just improved graphics, but a very nice story with great AI and most of all, more realistic gameplay. The humor is still there, but it's embedded into the details and not as aggressive as it used to be. Niko, as the main character, is more realistic and not just a trigger-happy killer. Excellent game engine, fabulous gameplay, wonderful, rich world to explore and exploit. Expand
  7. MitchS.
    May 1, 2008
    Phenomenal game. I love the cell phone and all the side-mission and time-wasting fun. This has truly re-defined the home console experience and it has truly raised the bar for all future developers - not a bad thing.
  8. Jcdx
    May 1, 2008
    Got me hooked straight on. I was afraid that all the hype would be just marketing spam. Fortunately this is not the case and the bubble didn't burst. Just got more colourful.
  9. JenL.
    May 1, 2008
    Rockstar did a fine job updating the look of their flagship franchise, as well as correcting some of the more glaring mechanical issues which have plagued the series for so long. But what bugs me is that the missions are still wildly uneven, both in terms of difficulty and quality. Since this is what most of the game is made up of, I can't recommend this to anyone but the most Rockstar did a fine job updating the look of their flagship franchise, as well as correcting some of the more glaring mechanical issues which have plagued the series for so long. But what bugs me is that the missions are still wildly uneven, both in terms of difficulty and quality. Since this is what most of the game is made up of, I can't recommend this to anyone but the most hardcore GTA fan. Expand
  10. JakeS.
    May 1, 2008
    This game did not let me down. Lots of things to do in here! Multiplayer is great!
  11. BenjaminB.
    May 1, 2008
    Really good game, advances on a lot of parts of the GTA series, but takes a step down in terms of size of the playable map and the RPG-style character building. I was expecting it to be an improved San Andreas, but is more of an improved Liberty City Stories. Those looking for the next step in the GTA series, this unfortunately isn't it, but if you want a greatly improved GTA:LCS, Really good game, advances on a lot of parts of the GTA series, but takes a step down in terms of size of the playable map and the RPG-style character building. I was expecting it to be an improved San Andreas, but is more of an improved Liberty City Stories. Those looking for the next step in the GTA series, this unfortunately isn't it, but if you want a greatly improved GTA:LCS, this is definitely it. Expand
  12. JonW.
    May 1, 2008
    Definitely not perfect, but I think this installment removes the fat from San Andreas and polishes the hell out of what makes GTA so much fun.
  13. TS
    May 1, 2008
    This game came with high expectations, but I'm going to ignore those expectations. Lets go beyond the fact that this game was supposed to bring God back to the Earth and shake the very foundations of Hell, lets look at it as a game. Graphics are amazing. People have a very endearing cartoonish quality while still having all the appropriate age lines and cars are just... well it might This game came with high expectations, but I'm going to ignore those expectations. Lets go beyond the fact that this game was supposed to bring God back to the Earth and shake the very foundations of Hell, lets look at it as a game. Graphics are amazing. People have a very endearing cartoonish quality while still having all the appropriate age lines and cars are just... well it might be a racing game for the next gen as far as those graphics are concerned. Alas, the world is not made or unmade by graphics. GTA III was a breakthrough because it was the first sandbox game and had more options then any other game of its time. GTA 4... well, its a sandbox game with a large world that the creators should be proud of, but by no means does it introduce new features. Bowling, Dart throwing, and getting drunk add some flavor, but are almost like half-hearted attempts rather then something you can truly enjoy. When the game was first being reviewed there was talk of cops pulling you over for just running a red light and a more "real" feel where everything was very dynamic. Ha. The cops are easier in some ways then the previous series and the action stacks up poorly to games out there like Saint's Row and CrackDown. CrackDown at least brought the unique powers to the table, and while the story brought to us in GTA 4 does count as quite good, it doesn't make up for the complete lack of innovation. Combat is jerky, the aim continues to lock onto people who are down and DEAD while the living continue firing, self aim is amusing but it is a complete pain in the ass to hold the trigger down halfway just to aim. Then there is the save system. I would like to welcome GTA 4 in to the 21st century and remind RockStar that we have HARD DRIVES now that can hold saves from ANYWHERE IN THE GAME. It is tedious to occasionally have to drive all the way across town after reloading in order to redo a mission. IT IS THE HEIGHT OF ANNOYING TO HAVE TO DO THIS SEVERAL TIME FOR THE SAME MISSION. Overall I applaud GTA 4 for the graphics, story, and random fun, but I cannot give it above an eight because the territory it treads has been marked as much as WWII in gaming and all the promise of the previews has become all the empty hype. Expand
  14. TheDude
    May 1, 2008
    I'm definitely disappointed after the reviews. Very similar to the previous three games. Lots of little additions, like internet, tv, pedestrians do more, drivings a little trickier, but still, 90 percent of the game is spent driving around from job to job(which gets old really quick since we've already done it to death in the last three games), and 95 percent of the game is the I'm definitely disappointed after the reviews. Very similar to the previous three games. Lots of little additions, like internet, tv, pedestrians do more, drivings a little trickier, but still, 90 percent of the game is spent driving around from job to job(which gets old really quick since we've already done it to death in the last three games), and 95 percent of the game is the exact same as before, you're either driving, watching a cutscene, or doing missions just like the ones in previous GTA's. The graphics and engine don't seem very different at all from GTA 3. If you love the GTA series, of course you'll love it, but it's not the revelation to gaming that the critics make it out to be. Rather, it makes me really appreciate what a revelation GTA 3 was, in that this one really isn't that much different, and yet it's still getting a perfect score and being called incredibly innovative all these years after GTA 3 came out. Expand
  15. TravisR.
    May 1, 2008
    The most fun In a game I have ever had, The characters all give a feeling of being alive and the graphics are simply amazing for the massive size of the world.
  16. MattH.
    May 1, 2008
    This is an incredible addition to the franchise. The graphics are great, the level of detail is absolutely stunning, and the cinematic cutscenes actually keep you wanting to know more. GTA is an incredible game, loaded with hours and hours of gameplay, and in my opinion, is worthy of every ounce of hype its received.
  17. AlexR.
    May 2, 2008
    Physics engine is freaking amazing, and the A.I. is actually very responsive to your actions and others around them. I like the new driving model, but the on foot controls feel a bit sluggish when in fast paced situations.
  18. JonathanD.
    May 2, 2008
    this game is incredible; there is not a single reason this game shouldn't get a 10. the graphics are above average, the city is absolutely huge, gameplay is pretty damn good, the story has greatly improved over past gta titles. the only issue ive had is some major frame rate issues but i did the update and now it works fine.
  19. CarlS.
    May 2, 2008
    Excellent game but because of the fact that I have only played the game for about 5 hours I just can´t give it 10/10 for the moment. It is a must-buy game for all GTA fans!
  20. MattF.
    May 2, 2008
    Great game, but a couple of flaws, and 10/10 means that it is perfect, which it is not. I'd recommend this game to anyone.
  21. MaxK.
    May 2, 2008
    Simply crap that PS3-version stuck @100%, dont tell xbox is worse. GTAIV best game in History!
  22. Jojo
    May 2, 2008
    I honestly didn't even like previous GTA games. They were cheesy and ridiculous and the characters were two-dimensional. Rockstar however went all out in creating this game. The graphics, gameplay, and story have all been retooled to give what I honestly believe to be the most immersing video game experience to date.
  23. RodrigoL.
    May 2, 2008
    Best game this generation by far. I give it a 9.8 but I'm rounding it so.....10 out of 10 Buy it!
  24. SteveW.
    May 2, 2008
    it is as good as advertised. the level of detail is unparalleled. here's a quick example that may go unnoticed: if you are sitting in a car with someone on the way to a mission, you will have a small yet plot-revealing conversation. if you fail the mission and have to replay it, you will have a DIFFERENT convo with them every time. it may not seem like a big deal at first, but it is as good as advertised. the level of detail is unparalleled. here's a quick example that may go unnoticed: if you are sitting in a car with someone on the way to a mission, you will have a small yet plot-revealing conversation. if you fail the mission and have to replay it, you will have a DIFFERENT convo with them every time. it may not seem like a big deal at first, but everything about this game is dynamic and will keep your attention Expand
  25. KwyjiboJ.
    May 2, 2008
    Average game. This could have been so much better had they made the colours brighter, introduced more power ups, and put waggle in. My grandma can't join in, if only it was for the Wii, the world's most powerful console.
  26. DonavonS.
    May 2, 2008
    Absolutely amazing. This is the definition of a world inside the world. Fires on all cylinders in story, scale, satire and gameplay.
  27. ChristopherG.
    May 2, 2008
    just when you think you have done everything or you start getting bored the game does something that makes you smile from ear to ear and you end up playing for another 3 hours.
  28. JoC.
    May 2, 2008
    The best game ever. Really immersive and addicting. The whole city just feels alive. Makes GTA III seem really fake like a cartoon. How do they work this magic? I can't even imagine the next one on the future consoles, whatever they are.
  29. TylerD.
    May 2, 2008
    This game isnt perfect that is for sure. Do not get me wrong it kicks azz and i am having a blast playing it, but it is no different really from all the other GTA's except much better graphics and the shooting, definately worth buying, it is a must own!
  30. Thomas
    May 2, 2008
    This game gets everything right it's hard to think some wouldn't give it 10.
  31. SteveC.
    May 2, 2008
    Same game, (*yawn*), new engine. Driving is terrible but the cars look excellent, characters look awful, acting is worse than Britney Spears. Environment looks great. Missions are "okay."
  32. Snoopy
    May 2, 2008
    the only thing i am upset about is that this game doesnt have an AO rating, if it did they could have been much more risky, and better, i really cant believe getting virtual head from a hooker is deserving of a M rating, but , it is AMAZING, MUST BUY!
  33. ArthurD.
    May 2, 2008
    Incredible storytelling with memorable and likable characters. This GTA has the most immersive world in the series. Liberty City feels alive with the amazing amount of detail put into the world. Best GTA in the series. I only wish it had the Vice City soundtrack. Minor issues preventing a 10/10: Controls - The control balance between camera movement and player movement doesnt feel as Incredible storytelling with memorable and likable characters. This GTA has the most immersive world in the series. Liberty City feels alive with the amazing amount of detail put into the world. Best GTA in the series. I only wish it had the Vice City soundtrack. Minor issues preventing a 10/10: Controls - The control balance between camera movement and player movement doesnt feel as fluid as it should be. Driving - Aside from the exotic cars, the majority of vehicles have too much understeering for this type of game. Multiplayer - The menu design for multiplayer needs alot of work. Multiplayer should be accessible before the single player mode is automatically launched. The user should have a choice to load Single or Mulitplayer at the start of the game. Also, when you quit a multiplayer game, instead of going back to the multiplayer screen, the game loads the single player mode. Expand
  34. BrightonG.
    May 2, 2008
    By far the best title in the series. Many issues that plagued the older titles have been addressed and overall feels more refined. Given it is not perfect, The free roaming is great in the context of driving around. But you are very limited on foot by comparison. Its a shame Rockstar couldn't take this a bit further in the direction of Crackdown where you have mroe vertical free By far the best title in the series. Many issues that plagued the older titles have been addressed and overall feels more refined. Given it is not perfect, The free roaming is great in the context of driving around. But you are very limited on foot by comparison. Its a shame Rockstar couldn't take this a bit further in the direction of Crackdown where you have mroe vertical free roaming to do than simply just running around on the streets. Characters are well executed and interesting. The only pitfall that seems to be relevant are the missions. Far too many fetch quests, especially in the beginning. This definitely is Game of the Year Material. But most of these reviews seem far too inflated. Expand
  35. Teli
    May 2, 2008
    An amazing experience. So many laughs and AH moments. A must have title.
  36. MikeW.
    May 2, 2008
    It is not much different then all the other GTA's and the online is crap and doesnt seem like they put to much thought in it.
  37. DumildeR.
    May 2, 2008
    9.5/10, I was believer then, now I might turning into a (healthy) adoring follower. Who said sequels aren't good, should stop basing one's opinions on annual franchises. Although I don't expect this to be the best game of this generation--which still has at least 3 more years, it's certainly is the most ambitious and accomplished game of yet in its own right. If you 9.5/10, I was believer then, now I might turning into a (healthy) adoring follower. Who said sequels aren't good, should stop basing one's opinions on annual franchises. Although I don't expect this to be the best game of this generation--which still has at least 3 more years, it's certainly is the most ambitious and accomplished game of yet in its own right. If you love entertainment, you're in for a treat, assuming you're not easily offended (violence, hate speech, sex exploitation, and all the other stuff that you would expect from the world of Mafia and [un]organized crime). GTAIV is not my favorite game of all time, but as an eclectic gamer, this will undoubtedly be mentioned on most "Best of All Time"lists. It's funny (K. Williams), versatile (Niko), deep (scenario), superficial (Brucie), cold (most paying lords in the game), warm (Kate), and FUN like... er.... everything in the game, especially Carmen. Expand
  38. MichaelR.
    May 2, 2008
    The graphics are average.Lots of boring missions driving around from place to place.The detail in the game is excellent and its the most realistic game ever made although it could have been even more realistic.
  39. RobertB.
    May 2, 2008
    Best game of its kind. Multiplayer is really fun. Graphics are sweet. It's more realistic, more detailed, more open then previous games. Don't believe the user comments like "PS3 version is better, or framerate sucks, its smooth on PS3" Those are just PS3 fanboys upset because nobody bought it on their console.
  40. MarkoL.
    May 3, 2008
    I just have to look at the votes here to see the true picture, loads of 10's and a miniscule amount of 0's and 1's (unbelievable) and a smattering of low scores. The game is huge, with detailed environments, excellent lighting effects and packed full of things to do. If you do not like the concept of the whole GTA series you aint gonna like this, period. That is the thing, I just have to look at the votes here to see the true picture, loads of 10's and a miniscule amount of 0's and 1's (unbelievable) and a smattering of low scores. The game is huge, with detailed environments, excellent lighting effects and packed full of things to do. If you do not like the concept of the whole GTA series you aint gonna like this, period. That is the thing, why people feel they need to review a game and give it 0 or 1, when clearly the time and effort alone involved in crafting the environments warrants a much higher score is beyond me! Yes I agree the general gameplay of the previous series is unchanged other than tweaking the gun play, physics etc, but lets face it there was not a lot wrong with the original games. I think there are very minor and I mean minor issues with frame rates at times but other than that the movement, environments etc are spot on with an excellent and interesting story line, the gameplay is very varied, god I would rather spend hours replaying this than some damn awful overhyped FPS, the FPS genre has been around since the dawn of time and yet they are still as boring as hell after a while, at least this game makes you want to come back time after time, even if it is just to burn down the streets in a stolen car, its pure escapism in a huge believable city. Awesome, enjoy it for what it is, and those of you that cannot accept a good game when you see one......take up knitting or something! Expand
  41. RavenWolfx
    May 3, 2008
    I'd give it a 9.25 if I could, but this will suffice. The game is pretty damn good with the best story that GTA has had so far. The graphics are great, with some problems of graphic pop-in (I read that the ps3 verision has this problem a little less, but not much). The aiming system is much improved from previous games, but it still needs work, but the cover system is a welcome I'd give it a 9.25 if I could, but this will suffice. The game is pretty damn good with the best story that GTA has had so far. The graphics are great, with some problems of graphic pop-in (I read that the ps3 verision has this problem a little less, but not much). The aiming system is much improved from previous games, but it still needs work, but the cover system is a welcome addition. I like the cell phone addition, but it could have been further worked on. The multiplayer is pretty decent, but there are some complaints. For example, after you play a ranked match, you are kicked back into the party mode instead of just searching for another match. If you are kicked out of the multiplayer game completely, it loads up the singleplayer again, which is just a waste of time. The load time are long (both single and multi) but not too frequent, and I'm patient enough to wait a whole 10 seconds or so during loading screens (the initial load is much longer, lasting closer to 30 seconds, but I didn't actually time it). All in all, it is a Game of the Year contender, but GTA will find it very difficult when competing against Metal Gear Solid 4, Fallout 3, and Gears of War 2. Buy the game (should take over 30 hours if you do some side missions). Expand
  42. ArttuL.
    May 3, 2008
    Its absolutely the best game in the already amazing series. GTA IV is a must buy for anyone who loves gaming at it's best.
  43. RobK.
    May 3, 2008
    Decent. Exactly like its predecessors but with an extremely annoying physics engine (controlling Niko and driving are both unnecessarily sloppy... It's almost a chore to just go on a cruise through the city) and shiny graphics. A familiar and uninteresting storyline make it difficult to get through the game. Avoid buying this rehashed, made-up harlot of a game and rent it instead.
  44. ILikeGamesSmooth
    May 3, 2008
    A great game, a stunning work of art for Rockstar but frankly neither of the consoles are powerful enough for the game to be done justice to. I played PS3 version for quite some time then sold it because as much as I loved the content I could not contend with the blurred graphics (from scaling) the bad aliasing and especially the low low frame rate (may times sub 20fps esp at times when A great game, a stunning work of art for Rockstar but frankly neither of the consoles are powerful enough for the game to be done justice to. I played PS3 version for quite some time then sold it because as much as I loved the content I could not contend with the blurred graphics (from scaling) the bad aliasing and especially the low low frame rate (may times sub 20fps esp at times when you need it to be high/smooth ie during car chases/shoot outs). If only it ran as smooth as I'm sure Rockstar would have liked then it would be gaming nirvana (or at least sandbox gaming nirvana as it's not without it's gameplay faults either). I loved Vice City and I ran it on PC fast and with antialiasing and of course it looks very bad next to GTAIV but it FELT good to interact with as it was fast (at least on a fast PC). I hope for a PC version of IV by the end of the year and will rebuy it and run it as it deserves to be run without constant visual reminders that you are playing a game and a poor performing one at that. And it's understandable that the consoles are hampered by this work of art, it's just too much for them to handle right now and maybe R* should have scaled their design back a bit and got the frame rates and resolutions rock solid first as interaction will always be more important than 'cool features' in games. I'm hoping to give 10/10 on PC if it scales well and allows better clarity in the graphics. As it stands on PS3 i'd give it a 7 due to it's technical burden and tiresome interaction, but probably a 9 for the game itself if those restraints were absent. Expand
  45. S.A.R
    May 3, 2008
    I don't know why everybody is saying how awesome this game graphics are, they aren't the best and they aren't even near the best. The shadows just don't look right, and the trees look horrible. The game play is better than the graphics, although most of it, like watching TV, going to bars and playing pool, were just too much like reality to make it worth doing in a I don't know why everybody is saying how awesome this game graphics are, they aren't the best and they aren't even near the best. The shadows just don't look right, and the trees look horrible. The game play is better than the graphics, although most of it, like watching TV, going to bars and playing pool, were just too much like reality to make it worth doing in a video game. It all reminded me of one bad month in my life, when I used to play WOW. I suppose this is a bit biased since I don't like games set in the modern world. All in all, not worth buying, maybe renting, but not buying. Expand
  46. BOBJ
    May 3, 2008
    Just GTA They've done it before. 10/10? Overrated. Still it's GTA if you played one you played all. They just added a really good multiplayer.
  47. BenH.
    May 3, 2008
    It seems quite obvious that to me that this game is one of the best ever created in the videogame world. From the lifelike city, the realistic physics, the infallible humor, and the well-written script to the intense cop chases, the carefully-honed characters, the sheer open-endedness, and the promising prospect of shooting anyone who pisses you off in the head with a shotgun, GTA IV is It seems quite obvious that to me that this game is one of the best ever created in the videogame world. From the lifelike city, the realistic physics, the infallible humor, and the well-written script to the intense cop chases, the carefully-honed characters, the sheer open-endedness, and the promising prospect of shooting anyone who pisses you off in the head with a shotgun, GTA IV is very much like the games that came before it; however, at the same time, it has made several improvements that easily boost it above any other game of this type, and, indeed, most other games in general. I won't ramble forever here, but I will say this: forget the naysayers, as this game has received so much hype that it seems impossible to this reviewer that there would be no negative scores and reviews. This game, unlike almost every that has come before it (Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect included) lives up to the hype. it is not flawless, obviously, but the flaws themselves are almost minuscule, and critiquing it on these flaws alone would be like hating a perfect film because one of the actors/actresses had bad hair. GTA Iv is certainly greater than the sum of its parts, and, when these sums are added up, it flashes its wealth of gold in gameplay and humor, and almost reinvents--yet again--the sandbox game. This one's a must play. And I didn't even begin to touch on the multiplayer.... Expand
  48. KarlL.
    May 3, 2008
    More GTA with better graphics and a much better story. Lots of new features added, but lots of old features missing too. But still the best GTA yet.
  49. CalvinC.
    May 3, 2008
    I've never liked the GTA series. It only seemed to me that the series was jumping on the mature content bandwagon to garner better sales and press coverage. This changes here. The game doesn't have the violence or sex the other games had, but I'm glad it doesn't, as this gave Rockstar the chance to fix every single issue I had with the game. Better physics? Check. I've never liked the GTA series. It only seemed to me that the series was jumping on the mature content bandwagon to garner better sales and press coverage. This changes here. The game doesn't have the violence or sex the other games had, but I'm glad it doesn't, as this gave Rockstar the chance to fix every single issue I had with the game. Better physics? Check. Characters you actually care about? Check. Refined gunplay? Check. Robust multiplayer? Check. Must-have game? Check, check, check. To quote Gametrailers, "Most games don't live up to the hype, but this is one that does." Expand
  50. DCMike
    May 3, 2008
    GTAIV is a great game despite the hype. Of course no game can ever live up to epic hype but GTAIV delivered on the hype better than Assassin's and definetly better then Halo3. The game plays very similar to Vice City and San Andreas but they just hit everything spot on here. It has the classic comic book feel to the graphics and art, mission based story line and all kinds of other GTAIV is a great game despite the hype. Of course no game can ever live up to epic hype but GTAIV delivered on the hype better than Assassin's and definetly better then Halo3. The game plays very similar to Vice City and San Andreas but they just hit everything spot on here. It has the classic comic book feel to the graphics and art, mission based story line and all kinds of other fun stuff to do. (I played pool for an hour with a girl, then got drunk, got in a fight next to the bar, drove her home wasted, side swiped some cars, outran the cops all while listening to some reggae, then I got laid when I got home! That's just for fun not even part of any mission, HA) That aside the missions are fun so far but the story is the key here, just a great story and some cool characters. Games usually have such lame stories and cheesy talking. Not to mention Liberty City feels like my second home now! People who are arguing over frame rate and glitches and textures are the typical crazy technophiles, I mean when I'm driving balls-out downtown am I really looking in the distance for pop up? No! Just sit back and get sucked into the game for once people, and stop looking at distant textures and crap, this is one game to enjoy! ....back to Liberty City.... Expand
  51. DimOdds
    May 3, 2008
    I bought this the day it came out, popped it in, and wow. Pretty boring. This game is so overhyped, with reviews just flaunting the fact that they had their hands on it first and you didn't. They make such a big deal about people covering their heads in the rain with newspaper, they forgot the game hasn't evolved much since Vice City. What really pisses me off is people saying I bought this the day it came out, popped it in, and wow. Pretty boring. This game is so overhyped, with reviews just flaunting the fact that they had their hands on it first and you didn't. They make such a big deal about people covering their heads in the rain with newspaper, they forgot the game hasn't evolved much since Vice City. What really pisses me off is people saying the story is comparable to movies, even art, even the best game ever. No F-ing way. Plot: Welcome to land of opportunity, blah, blah, go get this car, blah, blah, land of opportunity, blah, blah. Even Scarface was written better than this. And the voice acting is so cartoonishly retarded, like the first time you bone that chick, she gives the most unconvincing, "I'm being F'd good" pillow talk I've ever heard. I'm stilll waiting for a real adult themed game, and this ain't it. Half Life is still years beyond any game out there in terms of story and characters. Buy this if you're twelve and want to giggle. Expand
  52. DHarmshaw
    May 3, 2008
    The first truly next gen game. The PS3 version has slightly better graphic- but then again the xbox 360 gets more downloadable content with new missions-i know which one I'd choose!
  53. Andy
    May 3, 2008
    It's really similar to the GTAs from III onwards. It has similar missions, and a similar story progression. The level of detail is astonishing in this new Liberty City. The cell phone feature adds a new level of depth and immersion. However, the same old gripes about GTA remain. Gunplay is unresponsive, and the targeting system rarely does what you want it to do. The mission replay It's really similar to the GTAs from III onwards. It has similar missions, and a similar story progression. The level of detail is astonishing in this new Liberty City. The cell phone feature adds a new level of depth and immersion. However, the same old gripes about GTA remain. Gunplay is unresponsive, and the targeting system rarely does what you want it to do. The mission replay system is vastly improved but still frustrating. You will spend more time driving to that fire-fight that consistently kills you as opposed to actually playing it. It's a good game, but does not make the giant leap this generation that GTA III the generation before it. Expand
  54. StephenD.
    May 3, 2008
    As someone who hated the previous GTAs due to their combat system, this rating is deserved. They finally have good combat and driving.
  55. Endo
    May 3, 2008
    If you're saying "mediocre graphics" you clearly haven't played the game in motion and are judging by screenshots. No one has made a world this vast, detailed and authentic yet. Liberty City at night is breathtakingly beautiful. I'm twenty hours in and haven't even hit the crazy missions on the back half, and already I am blown away. I never played any other game in If you're saying "mediocre graphics" you clearly haven't played the game in motion and are judging by screenshots. No one has made a world this vast, detailed and authentic yet. Liberty City at night is breathtakingly beautiful. I'm twenty hours in and haven't even hit the crazy missions on the back half, and already I am blown away. I never played any other game in the GTA series or cared to, but the production values, story, and sheer amount of user-definable gameplay on display here is unlike anything else out available on the 360. This is one occasion where you can truly believe the hype. Expand
  56. JP
    May 3, 2008
    No mid mission saving really kills it for me. Why is this not an option? In some cases it takes 5 minutes to drive to the mission. 1 minute to die or fail and then I have to drive 5 minutes to the mission again. The one I'm on now has two major parts, the first I have to kill dozen guys, then the second is lose a 3 start wanted rating while trapped in a building. Why does it not save No mid mission saving really kills it for me. Why is this not an option? In some cases it takes 5 minutes to drive to the mission. 1 minute to die or fail and then I have to drive 5 minutes to the mission again. The one I'm on now has two major parts, the first I have to kill dozen guys, then the second is lose a 3 start wanted rating while trapped in a building. Why does it not save after the first part!? Also I don't like having to drive back my place to save, such a waste of time since there's nothing else to do there except watch TV. I can watch TV at home! Many other issues. Graphics and physics are great but so what! it doesn't make a game... Expand
  57. AnthonyR.
    May 3, 2008
    By far and away the best game I have ever played especially the little touches, calling a cab,the internet etc. Rockstar have raised the bar again roll on the next GTA.
  58. WalkerS.
    May 3, 2008
    MOST OVERRATED GAME EVER: sure it is a great and fun game (I gave it 8 out of 10) but there is no way it is better than CoD4 or Bioshock, it might be on the same level as Halo 3 but that is even a stretch, still, it is very fun and worth buying.
  59. HannesH.
    May 3, 2008
    Nearly perfect! The best GTA ever and a masterpiece of gamedesign! With awesome internet xD!
  60. BruntFCA
    May 3, 2008
    A great story does not make it a great game on all accounts. I am feeling quite disappointed with the title so far; if I wanted a great story I could just watch a movie, I expect more from a game. KOTRO/Bioware/Fable etc, have been making Moral Choiceâ??s in their games for ages now, itâ??s hardly a new mechanic. So far my choices have mounted to kill someone or A great story does not make it a great game on all accounts. I am feeling quite disappointed with the title so far; if I wanted a great story I could just watch a movie, I expect more from a game. KOTRO/Bioware/Fable etc, have been making Moral Choiceâ??s in their games for ages now, itâ??s hardly a new mechanic. So far my choices have mounted to kill someone or notâ?¦deep. NO matter how amazingly good/twist the end is, I expect to have fun and innovation **along the way**, I donâ??t see how having a great ending should allow a game to get such hire scores. From what I see so far Go here, shoot that person etc gameplay Few real interactive places to go in an otherwise impressive looking city Very few interaction with NPC outside of scripted NPC Money is almost meaningless. no homes to buy, no territory. No flying, no hair customization/car customization. Insane/Outgragoes slapstick humor of SA gone. In SA its not problem that the protagonist is a Psycho since its such a spoof. SO far I see GTAIV taking itsleft a bit too seriously (TV adds aside, Republican space rangers are gold). The main guy is an almost Psycopathic killer with some vague loyalty thing. Expand
  61. DonM.
    May 3, 2008
    Good game, especially if you're a GTA fan. But it's not a life changing experience. It's not just more powerful graphics that make it good, the combat system is so much better than in previous GTA'S. I really like the cover and aim system, much more efficient. I would say the graphics are pretty good but could be better. The driving is improved but overall, it's Good game, especially if you're a GTA fan. But it's not a life changing experience. It's not just more powerful graphics that make it good, the combat system is so much better than in previous GTA'S. I really like the cover and aim system, much more efficient. I would say the graphics are pretty good but could be better. The driving is improved but overall, it's more of the same with a few improvements which is a good thing if you're a GTA fan. But if you're not a fan of this game, then I wouldn't get it for the hype. Expand
  62. SamF.
    May 3, 2008
    Where to begin..? Well its your GTA Type game with better graphics, ability to hail cabs, swim, go bowling, play darts and Pool, Go out drinking and shows ...did I mention strip clubs? Every Person in the city acts realistically and am amazed at the detail. This game also added a cellphone to keep track of everything and to call your contacts and girlfriends.. But with all this there are Where to begin..? Well its your GTA Type game with better graphics, ability to hail cabs, swim, go bowling, play darts and Pool, Go out drinking and shows ...did I mention strip clubs? Every Person in the city acts realistically and am amazed at the detail. This game also added a cellphone to keep track of everything and to call your contacts and girlfriends.. But with all this there are yjongs that could have been added.. One is if you run a red light and a cop is there nothing happens... This should have been you getting Wanted by cops at least. also light poles get knocked down too easily. Other than those 2 things its an amazing game! Expand
  63. FredJ.
    May 3, 2008
    The amount of detail in this game is amazing. Freedom to do what you want, opportunity to continue or stray from the plot whenever you want, plenty of mini-games (pool, darts, bowling, arcade, internet, TV, dating, drinking with friends, comedy acts, and more) ... I was skeptical and uninterested until I played the game... but it really is pretty amazing. As for all the controversy The amount of detail in this game is amazing. Freedom to do what you want, opportunity to continue or stray from the plot whenever you want, plenty of mini-games (pool, darts, bowling, arcade, internet, TV, dating, drinking with friends, comedy acts, and more) ... I was skeptical and uninterested until I played the game... but it really is pretty amazing. As for all the controversy that's associated with GTA games... I've never really played the previous versions, but in this game, Rockstar makes it clear that drunk driving is bad, mm'kay? Your vision is blurred, the camera goes crazy, and within about 30 seconds of my first attempt, I flipped my car and was caught by the cops. As for all the sex and random killings... this doesn't seem to be an actual story-part of the game, but it's allowed. If YOU as a player feel like doing this, it's up to you. Just keep in mind, it's ONLY A GAME, and it's better to experiment here rather than in real life... but in most games, you can kill your own character if you're that sadistic.... I mean, even I've tossed Mario off the cliff a couple times out of frustration..... doesn't mean I have anything against plumbers though. Expand
  64. BreeandieonW.
    May 3, 2008
    GTA IV belongs in your game collection. It is clear how much thought has gone into this game, and it is superb. This isn't coming from a GTA buff either. I am new to the series and am quite impressed. There are a ton of activities to do and so much to see. It's up to you how the game plays out, so what you put in is what you get out of it. Even the humor within the game is an GTA IV belongs in your game collection. It is clear how much thought has gone into this game, and it is superb. This isn't coming from a GTA buff either. I am new to the series and am quite impressed. There are a ton of activities to do and so much to see. It's up to you how the game plays out, so what you put in is what you get out of it. Even the humor within the game is an awesome touch and makes it that much more enjoyable. The cell phone integration works well also and adds a more social side, which helps to make it an even more memorable experience. Even after you get bored of single player, there are plenty of multiplayer modes such as Cops and Crooks, Hangmans Noose (a personal favorite), deathmatch (of course) and free roam. These can be a hoot when you get all your friends together and just go at it. I can't tell you how much you need to experience this game. At bare minimum rent it, and see what everyone is talking about. Expand
  65. MichaelB.
    May 3, 2008
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned the tremendous amount of violence, swearing, and immorality that goes on in this game. Parents beware!
  66. NateB.
    May 3, 2008
    Grand Theft Auto fans will enjoy, but this game getting such great reviews is indefensible. While the music, graphics, cinematics, (like flying out the front of the car window) and polish are all top notch, the controls are sluggish, the gameplay is repetitive and rehashed, and this game does not do anything to further the genre. The mini games have better counterparts in other games (for Grand Theft Auto fans will enjoy, but this game getting such great reviews is indefensible. While the music, graphics, cinematics, (like flying out the front of the car window) and polish are all top notch, the controls are sluggish, the gameplay is repetitive and rehashed, and this game does not do anything to further the genre. The mini games have better counterparts in other games (for instance darts and bowling). The game is good for a few laughs, but at its core the game is nothing more than a prettier GTA 3. Expand
  67. BobR.
    May 3, 2008
    Definitely a masterful job on the world art, but the driving controls are poo (and in a GTA game!), the player movement controls are worse, and the missions get really repetitive. Game reviewers are sheep. Grow a pair and give this an accurate rating!
  68. TruNorth
    May 4, 2008
    Not the best, but good. The radar map is too small, so is the cell phone.(on a 47" 1080p)The graphics are anything but stunning, I was expecting a sharpness that wasn't there. now of course you can go anywhere and do alot, but If I want to wine and dine a girl, it'll be a real one. As for the story, now this is the best part of the game. I have only rented this game and will Not the best, but good. The radar map is too small, so is the cell phone.(on a 47" 1080p)The graphics are anything but stunning, I was expecting a sharpness that wasn't there. now of course you can go anywhere and do alot, but If I want to wine and dine a girl, it'll be a real one. As for the story, now this is the best part of the game. I have only rented this game and will only buy it at a discounted price. The one thing I hope is that other developers don't see this a what they can get away with and make clones that look even worst then GTA IV. Expand
  69. Frederick
    May 4, 2008
    I'm convinced that people who trash this game only played for a short time and decided they didn't like it, so they declare that it sucks. You can't judge this game without taking the time to get deep into the single player and multiplayer. Yes, at its core it's got much of the same stuff as other GTA games, and it does have a few problems, which is why I give it a 9 I'm convinced that people who trash this game only played for a short time and decided they didn't like it, so they declare that it sucks. You can't judge this game without taking the time to get deep into the single player and multiplayer. Yes, at its core it's got much of the same stuff as other GTA games, and it does have a few problems, which is why I give it a 9 and not a 10 (I'd give it 9.75 to be exact). But this game has so much stuff to do that it's insane, and most of it is really fun. It may be a little underwhelming at first if you've played GTA before because at first it feels like same-old same-old, but give it time and you will be floored by how much stuff there is to do in this game. People are going to be playing this game for a LONG time. Expand
  70. BarryM.
    May 4, 2008
    Superb. Gripping story and amazing gameplay paired with the huge scope that is the trademark of the series. Easily the best in the series. Multiplayer is over the top, and insane but so addictive. One of the best, if not the best game ever released.
  71. ZacL.
    May 4, 2008
    This game was way easier than previous GTA games. Most missions were about 10 minutes of driving to the location and back, plus shoot a guy in the head which takes 4-5 seconds. Certainly entertaining, not as good as San Andreas.
  72. SteveK.
    May 4, 2008
    this whole review debacle is a classic case of game magazines and reviewers getting doped up on the hype and extreme expectations that surrounds some games in the run-up to the release. gta4 certainly is a good game, but very far from perfection, even far from being excellent. it's very enjoyable sometimes and sometimes outright dull. why countless reviewers have overlooked the this whole review debacle is a classic case of game magazines and reviewers getting doped up on the hype and extreme expectations that surrounds some games in the run-up to the release. gta4 certainly is a good game, but very far from perfection, even far from being excellent. it's very enjoyable sometimes and sometimes outright dull. why countless reviewers have overlooked the glaring flaws is beyond me. a review score shouldn't rate effort and ambition. gameplay is king and in regard to that gta4 is certainly above average, but falls short of greatness. a healthy 7 points, I say. Expand
  73. iRKeb
    May 4, 2008
    I don't get the 100 scores. I just don't. I've been playing this game for well over 20 hours, and while it's good, it is nowhere near a perfect score. The camera sucks, melee fighting is sloppy, driving cars is a study in frustration and is clunky and counter fluid, your characters movements like turning and running are mechanical and just plain pathetic, and I don't get the 100 scores. I just don't. I've been playing this game for well over 20 hours, and while it's good, it is nowhere near a perfect score. The camera sucks, melee fighting is sloppy, driving cars is a study in frustration and is clunky and counter fluid, your characters movements like turning and running are mechanical and just plain pathetic, and what's with the cops? I punch one guy in the face and the cops are all over my ass. That's not fun, that's anti-fun. Did nobody play Saints Row? The first game is far superior to all the things I mentioned above. Saints Row 2 will blow this away. Sorry, but this game is frustrating, even after all the time I've put into it. Expand
  74. JaceN.
    May 5, 2008
    In an odd "apples & oranges" kind of way id compare GTA4 to The Elder Scrolls 4 - Oblivion. Both are in their fourth official outing (minus side stories), both received major pre-release overhype, both sold through the roof, both retain all the problems previous episodes suffered from, both focussed more on technology than what made people love the series in the first place and both In an odd "apples & oranges" kind of way id compare GTA4 to The Elder Scrolls 4 - Oblivion. Both are in their fourth official outing (minus side stories), both received major pre-release overhype, both sold through the roof, both retain all the problems previous episodes suffered from, both focussed more on technology than what made people love the series in the first place and both sacrificed features previous episodes had for no apparent reason. Although GTA4 goes one better in that it...at times...can frustrate you to despair! Combat is slow and stilted, driving often ends in a lightpole/12-car smashdance and the new pay & spray rules make its completely worthless. Its a well made game no doubt and worth a high score but its for workmanships sake alone. Im hoping 5 if and when it appears will be more of a leap forward instead of sideways with more window dressing. Expand
  75. KaleB.
    May 5, 2008
    Better than Bioshock (my previous favorite game), in my opinion. I'm half way through playing it for the second time and it's still fun as all hell.
  76. JitoM.
    May 5, 2008
    You're gonna need some "Hot Coffee" cause this game is gonna keep you up for weeks. 10 outta 10 breda!
  77. RobertC.
    May 5, 2008
    The story shines, the game play is solid and despite a few minor glitches like collision detection, popups, and lousy save rules, compared to everything else this game is at the top. As good (if not slightly better) than Bioshock, which was my game of the year last year.
  78. JosephD.
    May 5, 2008
    Great game, best in series? Yes, but not by as much as everyone would like you to believe... In other words its a great game, but not even best game in past 12 months let alone of all time... I wouldn't even put it in top 10 of all time... but still, GREAT game, worthy of purchase... just not the greatest game in the history of the universe. Simply a great game like the many other Great game, best in series? Yes, but not by as much as everyone would like you to believe... In other words its a great game, but not even best game in past 12 months let alone of all time... I wouldn't even put it in top 10 of all time... but still, GREAT game, worthy of purchase... just not the greatest game in the history of the universe. Simply a great game like the many other great games lately, nothing more, noting less. Expand
  79. JinW.
    May 5, 2008
    amazing game, visually stunning worth every quid. honestly i can't describe how awesome this game is, I honestly just spend most my time TRYING to be good, even though its sooo easy to raise notoriety...sitting in a cab, just that deserves an award...its just soo amazing. the only problem is that because its so awesome when it doesn't live up to it in minor moments you feel the amazing game, visually stunning worth every quid. honestly i can't describe how awesome this game is, I honestly just spend most my time TRYING to be good, even though its sooo easy to raise notoriety...sitting in a cab, just that deserves an award...its just soo amazing. the only problem is that because its so awesome when it doesn't live up to it in minor moments you feel the fail, even though how minute it is but you feel it. Game of the year nominee right here. Expand
  80. Ethan
    May 5, 2008
    GTA4 is mostly more of the same. Sure, there are new mini games and the addition of the usable cellphone gives the game more depth, building relationships with people isn't particularly fun and the missions aren't particularly different. The aiming setup has improved and the cops are a lot more intelligent, but don't believe the hype the professional reviewers are trying to GTA4 is mostly more of the same. Sure, there are new mini games and the addition of the usable cellphone gives the game more depth, building relationships with people isn't particularly fun and the missions aren't particularly different. The aiming setup has improved and the cops are a lot more intelligent, but don't believe the hype the professional reviewers are trying to push on you. After a day or 2 of GTA4, it feels just like the games that came before it. Great, but tired, gameplay. Expand
  81. HarveyW.
    May 5, 2008
    GTA 4 is a very good game, but it is not the Holy Grail of gaming that the publisher-influenced reviews in the gaming press would have you believe. In just the past 12 months, there have been several better games released, including Call of Duty 4, Bioshock, and Valve's Orange Box (includes Half Life 2 and 2 additional episodes, plus Portal and Team Fortress 2).
  82. CassieM.
    May 5, 2008
    The most in depth game yet. The attention to detail is amazing and the freedom the game gives you is astounding. We've come a long way from the top view, pixelated GTA 1. Hey, this game is even a far cry from San Andreas. An excellent game, possibly the best I've ever played.
  83. JaronR.
    May 5, 2008
    Overall a quality game, but a 10? Not a chance in hell. No use for money except hospital bills which are arbitrarily a % of your total worth, no properties, no way to expand your empire. Dismal targeting, unexceptional graphics, and zero innovation. That said, it's entertaining, and the cast of characters is fantastic.
    May 5, 2008
    Truly amazing game. I'm glad they finally added cover to the game play and it works perfectly. There are so many things to do and places to see that you'll probably not run out of things to do until GTA V.
  85. MattY.
    May 5, 2008
    These reactionary scores are annoying as hell, don't vote to be controversial.
  86. ChrisK
    May 5, 2008
    XBox- Not quite a 10 due to graphical issues, worst pop-in in any game ive ever seen. although the amount of content is the reason, i understand. i believe many wouldnt have minded an additional month pushback if some of these errors would have been taken care of. PS3- although no DLC, theres plenty of game there to be ammused with. the pop-in, wait a min....there is no pop-ins! Including XBox- Not quite a 10 due to graphical issues, worst pop-in in any game ive ever seen. although the amount of content is the reason, i understand. i believe many wouldnt have minded an additional month pushback if some of these errors would have been taken care of. PS3- although no DLC, theres plenty of game there to be ammused with. the pop-in, wait a min....there is no pop-ins! Including smoother edges and less screen tearing. pushing the PS3 version to at least a 9.5 Both- Controls are clunky, which takes a bit of getting used to. Cover system is nothing like GOW. except for the name "cover system" in addition: i think the white aim cursor could have been a little bolder, when shooting far distances its quite hard to see. Conclusion: Best Game Ive Ever Played. Flat out. Expand
  87. MattL.
    May 6, 2008
    It's just like every other GTA game with a bunch of extra, they didn't raise the bar here or anything. It's insanely repetitive and designed to make you play the game twice for achievement. News flash developers, if your game needs achievements to make me play it again, it's not worth playing the first time. Multiplayer is mediocre and uncreative. It's riddled It's just like every other GTA game with a bunch of extra, they didn't raise the bar here or anything. It's insanely repetitive and designed to make you play the game twice for achievement. News flash developers, if your game needs achievements to make me play it again, it's not worth playing the first time. Multiplayer is mediocre and uncreative. It's riddled with mad design and because of the "seamless" design you often spend more time on load screens then you do playing when you get one of the two popular connection problems. When you look at games like Halo, Call of Duty 4, and Rainbow 6 Vegas 2.. the mutliplayer of GTA is a real let down. The game was definitely overhyped and Rockstar should have kept it until the holiday 2008. Expand
  88. BruntFCAFCA
    May 6, 2008
    Better graphics, less gameplay than prior games. Nothing to do with money, no gambling, pointless mini games, very few real buildings to enter. Boring repetative missions. It also suffers from well documented Freezing/Crashing and Pop-Up, so no way is it 10/10. Main character is a 2 dimensional psychotic loser. Most NPC are sterotypes. One the hype dies down, I think a lot of ppl are Better graphics, less gameplay than prior games. Nothing to do with money, no gambling, pointless mini games, very few real buildings to enter. Boring repetative missions. It also suffers from well documented Freezing/Crashing and Pop-Up, so no way is it 10/10. Main character is a 2 dimensional psychotic loser. Most NPC are sterotypes. One the hype dies down, I think a lot of ppl are going to trade this in. Expand
  89. BertieV
    May 6, 2008
    Greatest game ever played. End of discussion.
  90. TylerC.
    May 6, 2008
    Great game play, great story, the racing is decent, awesome graphics and the online play is pretty good considering its a first try for the series. plus, once your done you always have the random killing sprees
  91. AndyV
    May 6, 2008
    Not without its flaws, but probably the best game to be released this year. Character development far excedes anything seen in previous gta games and the story is actually engaging.
  92. EdwardO.
    May 6, 2008
    I'm not a GTA fan, never got into them aside from the random sandbox fun. I also didn't buy into the hype, and finally caved in because I finished with finals and decided it was worth a shot. GTA IV has completely blown me away. It isn't one spectacular thing, it's many small things that build up to become the best console game I have ever played, period. It's I'm not a GTA fan, never got into them aside from the random sandbox fun. I also didn't buy into the hype, and finally caved in because I finished with finals and decided it was worth a shot. GTA IV has completely blown me away. It isn't one spectacular thing, it's many small things that build up to become the best console game I have ever played, period. It's shocking, that I've had more fun with GTA, a 'mainstream' game than Orange Box and Bioshock. But GTA IV has become my favorite console game of all time, and my second favorite game of all time. It's that good. Expand
  93. DavidH.
    May 6, 2008
    Sublime. Sound is perfect with memorable songs, excellent sounds of weapons and explosions and pitch perfect dialogue. Story is best in series and very human in its presentation of the main and sub characters. gaemplay aint perfect but a FAR improvement and the realism i think adds to the game in spades. Overall its long enough (but not 100 hours) and worth a purchase in every regard.
  94. DaveC.
    May 6, 2008
    The best GTA so far. Period.
  95. MatC.
    May 6, 2008
    For those of you who say "not perfect", I don't hold my 10 for "perfect". I give 10s to games that set new standards for immersiveness. I give 10s to games that don't confine outcomes. I give 10s to games that are the bellweather games for a console. And I give GTA IV a 10 not because it is perfect, but it's as perfect as we get in 2008. GTA IV stands apart as its own For those of you who say "not perfect", I don't hold my 10 for "perfect". I give 10s to games that set new standards for immersiveness. I give 10s to games that don't confine outcomes. I give 10s to games that are the bellweather games for a console. And I give GTA IV a 10 not because it is perfect, but it's as perfect as we get in 2008. GTA IV stands apart as its own masterpiece. Any other game may do single things better, may shade a pixel better, whatever. No other game is as immersive an environment. It's what video games have always strived to be; you -- starring in a movie. Expand
  96. I.L.
    May 6, 2008
    Good, but not as amazing as everyone says, though the script is a work of genius (especially the radio stations), the gameplay is somewhat shallow.
  97. JamieG.
    May 6, 2008
    This game improves on the general formula and has certainly updated the graphics and physics. What it does not do, however, is innovate. Not only can you find the exact same elements in the past games, but there are many elements of those games which are missing from this version. I have yet to see the ability to purchase property, to alter your physical conditioning or recruit henchmen. This game improves on the general formula and has certainly updated the graphics and physics. What it does not do, however, is innovate. Not only can you find the exact same elements in the past games, but there are many elements of those games which are missing from this version. I have yet to see the ability to purchase property, to alter your physical conditioning or recruit henchmen. It's also missing the bicycle and only has 2 air vehicles, both choppers so no planes, and no jet-pak. This game is missing at least half the stuff I came to love about San Andreas. The GTA series is good, but this version plays no differently than GTA1 or 2 or 2.1 or Godfather or GTA3 and that is very unfortunate. We originally planned to complete the game to 100%. This was before we purchased it and realized it was the same thing all over again. Now we don't play it much except to laugh at the ragdoll physics, which is worth the price alone. Great game as expected. Delivers everything that makes a standard GTA game. Absolutely tired of it already. Nothing new. Won't be paying any attention to GTA5 at all after this one. Series is dead to us. I should also note that the textures are terrible (absolutely disgusting up close) and the game appears to be missing the highest LOD models on many assets. The reflections and shadows are also very blocky, noisy and low-res looking. While the game is obviously incorporating many shaders and real-time reflections, it's all still very PS2 looking to me. However, the improved lighting and day/night cycles make decyphering the graphics in front of you into readable pathways much easier than in previous intsallments. Simply put, I used to not be able to tell where the hell I was going or when a turn was coming up, especially at faster speeds. It wasn't due to the speed, it was due to everything being the same orange/brown tint and made it impossible to discern what the hell was what. That is pretty much no longer an issue as draw distances are superb and the LOD transitions are smooth and it is very easy to see ahead. The DoF and motion blur help tremendously in this regard aswell to keep you focused on your path. However, with that greatness comes a problem. All of the graphics which are currently in shadow display absolutely zero tone-shifts. In short, the lighting effects turn off completely while the sun isn't directly shining on something. It appears as if there is no baked occlusion. At first glance into a shaded street, you might swear this was the PS2. I should also note this series' serious lack of new vehicles. The Cavalcade was in SA and it's the same thing. In fact, I recognize almost all of the cars. There are perhaps 7-12 that I had not seen in the other games and they are standard, boring cars. Whether or not they actually are the same brand/model, I cannot say. All I can say, is they all pretty much look and feel the same way they always did before. The game also appears to be missing specialist vehicles with special control schemes like the low-rider with the hydraulics. The right-analog stick appears to be solely for camera control in all instances. In the end, our biggest disappointment has been the lack of anything really new. We all expected to be surprised, but in fact we actually were surprised...to see all the same crap again. What I had hoped for would have certainly delayed the game and put a hold on the revenue for Take2, which makes my idea utterly ridiculous in the business world. My idea would have been to take an extra 1-2 years in development and open up every single office building, apartment complex, business and house for player entry and I would have populated all of these structures as mini-portals(worlds) which civilians carrying about their daily business. Basically, I would have had a 2nd world from the outside city that is going on inside almost every building. This way, you can add breaking and entering and terrorrism and kidnapping to your list of fun activities for the evening. Nuff said, that would have made the game king of all games of all time. As it is, it's basically just the next part in the series. It hardly feels like it even touches on the term "next-gen". I'm a 34 year old male who's played games since they came out and who can usually defeat any opponnent at any game, no matter what it is. I love games and I love playing them and I do it all the time. I don't love this game at all. I like it and I find it entertaining, but it's so far short of the next-gen mark, it feels like GTA-Prologue. The very last thing I'd like to mention is that I really dig Niko, the main character. I love his attitude and his dialogue. The delivery is succint, yet very sharp. Great voice acting on the part of his character. The other characters are really great too, especially the roid-raging Brucie. Expand
  98. joed
    Fantastic!
  99. TommyF.
    May 6, 2008
    #1 GTA game in their series on the 360.
  100. JackT.
    May 6, 2008
    Just voting 10 to balance out all the retards voting 0. Peace.

1. It's got a world you believe in, a cast you care about and a script stuffed with brilliant moments... Utterly stunning in every resepct. [May 2008, p.79]
  2. Xbox World 360 Magazine UK
    Rockstar have surpassed themselves, delivering unquestionably the definitive GTA and perhaps the greatest videogame of all time. [June 2008]
    I could go on and on about why Grand Theft Auto IV is one of the best games we've ever seen and why even folks who are easily offended should play it, but that would be pointless. The only thing you need to know is that you have to play this game. Period.