7.8

1. Jul 22, 2013
    I haven't played video games since 2003 and that was GTA San Andreas for the PS2. After seeing all the ads for GTA 5 I went out and bought an Xbox 360 and a copy of GTA IV in preparation for September 17th. Man I could not be more disappointed. Boring characters, boring story line, boring environments (How they managed to make Brooklyn boring is beyond me), the streets are way too circularI haven't played video games since 2003 and that was GTA San Andreas for the PS2. After seeing all the ads for GTA 5 I went out and bought an Xbox 360 and a copy of GTA IV in preparation for September 17th. Man I could not be more disappointed. Boring characters, boring story line, boring environments (How they managed to make Brooklyn boring is beyond me), the streets are way too circular and wined-y and make navigating the landscape more annoying than anything else. Visually, the game is incredibly dark and lacking color. No side quests, nothing to do. It's like they took all the freedom you had in San Andreas so you're relegated to the boring story line (and unlike-able characters) they put in place. This release gives me serious reservations about buying the new game. I was bored after 30 minutes. Expand
  2. Aug 20, 2013
    Since five years ago I can't stop playing this game. The best game of the consoles until GTAV.
    No other game has got me into the story and in the gameplay. No other game has that ragdoll physics. Feels real.
  3. Sep 21, 2013
    One of the most ambitious games ever produced. TASTE LIKE CHICKEN MY COP THIS GAME! EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GAME DIP IN OIL WITH SOME SEASONING KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING? I WONDER WHERE DAT PIZZA HUT IS TOO?
  4. Feb 18, 2014
    The worst game in the GTA series! The history is boring, the engine is poor, mobility is the worst, missions are boring! The worst bet of Rockstar! I consider lower than the average!
  5. Feb 24, 2014
    The biggest problem with GTA IV is the lack of being able to control your movements. The accuracy is poor and will always do so that you end up in trouble. Camera angles do not contribute to make your life easier and the challenge is instead to be patient with the clumsy steering. What makes things worse is that the game has no checkpoints during a mission. If you die during the mission,The biggest problem with GTA IV is the lack of being able to control your movements. The accuracy is poor and will always do so that you end up in trouble. Camera angles do not contribute to make your life easier and the challenge is instead to be patient with the clumsy steering. What makes things worse is that the game has no checkpoints during a mission. If you die during the mission, you have to redo everything, you even have to drive to your destination.
    Another flaw is that the game's protagonist Niko Bellic who feels very flat and boring. The opposite could be said about Tommy Vercetti in GTA: Vice City.

There are certainly some good things to say about GTA IV, but because of the things I mentioned above do so that everything else relevant end up in the background. The great city that you will have access to will not be interesting if you can not move in it without getting pissed.
  6. Sep 28, 2014
    Technologically, this game is as near perfect as pre-2010 games could get. Massive attention to details, an early yet entertaining euphoria physics engine, above average graphics, it had what many sandbox games at the time could only dream of. Story wise, I found the serious turn in the main plot and hints of dry and immature humor to be a welcomed change to the over-the-top stories inTechnologically, this game is as near perfect as pre-2010 games could get. Massive attention to details, an early yet entertaining euphoria physics engine, above average graphics, it had what many sandbox games at the time could only dream of. Story wise, I found the serious turn in the main plot and hints of dry and immature humor to be a welcomed change to the over-the-top stories in games prior. Without going into detail, the opening, decisions, and conclusions in the base Grand Theft Auto IV experience were enjoyable without being as predictable as branched stories tend to be. So far GTA IV is a damn good game.

What sets many off of GTA IV is the lacking gameplay. Uninteresting and repetitive missions, non-existent customization options and what some would even call a smaller playground left many gamers with experience in the last generation of Grand Theft Auto games dissatisfied with the main run in GTA IV and the lesser re-playability.

In my opinion, GTA IV was a technological masterpiece with a great story but was held back slightly by its inferior gameplay in comparison to its predecessor San Andreas. Does it make it awful? No. Free play in the luscious HD version of Liberty City is still fun and the main story is worthwhile also, however, the burning image of San Andreas made IV pale in comparison. Had this game been developed elsewhere it would have landed a 9/10 easily, however, Rockstar's reputation left many disappointment with the first of two seventh generation Grand Theft Autos.

8/10: Great, but not better.

1. It's got a world you believe in, a cast you care about and a script stuffed with brilliant moments... Utterly stunning in every resepct. [May 2008, p.79]
  2. Rockstar have surpassed themselves, delivering unquestionably the definitive GTA and perhaps the greatest videogame of all time. [June 2008]
    I could go on and on about why Grand Theft Auto IV is one of the best games we've ever seen and why even folks who are easily offended should play it, but that would be pointless. The only thing you need to know is that you have to play this game. Period.