Grand Theft Auto IV Xbox 360

7.9

1. Catraven
    May 1, 2008
    This game is the best GTA to date. It's so much fun that I can't wait to play it when I get home from work! The missions are fun and easy and I hope they stay that way.Good job Rockstar!
  2. StephenL.
    May 5, 2008
    This is a good game for all types of gamers but it wasn't a big enough improvement on the last game to get an 9 or 10. Moving around on foot is clunky and most of the buildings are like cardboard cut outs, people dont die as satisfyingly as in the previous games, the feds are on your case in the airport and you cant blow up planes. The is plenty of good tho, the soundtrack, the This is a good game for all types of gamers but it wasn't a big enough improvement on the last game to get an 9 or 10. Moving around on foot is clunky and most of the buildings are like cardboard cut outs, people dont die as satisfyingly as in the previous games, the feds are on your case in the airport and you cant blow up planes. The is plenty of good tho, the soundtrack, the characters and the drinking missions. Gameplay wise its just as good as the previous games but I was hoping for more. Expand
  3. BenC.
    Oct 8, 2008
    Good game, but bad combat controls, slow framerates, frustrating missions. If you have a good gaming PC, I'd wait for the PC version.
  4. ShainE.
    Apr 30, 2008
    This is a good game. However, it has some technical problems which are surprisingly severe. I really expected a better finished product. Far worse technical issues than other recent games have been crucified over. Euphoria engine is great in some places, but really awkward in others. Still, it adds a bit more life to the streets. I do like how the aiming system has improved, multiplayer This is a good game. However, it has some technical problems which are surprisingly severe. I really expected a better finished product. Far worse technical issues than other recent games have been crucified over. Euphoria engine is great in some places, but really awkward in others. Still, it adds a bit more life to the streets. I do like how the aiming system has improved, multiplayer is fun although buggy, and the story is above par for GTA. Expand
  5. MuSauce
    Apr 30, 2008
    I first started playing this game and I thought hmmm..... Overrated...maybe? But the more I played, the better it got. All I have to say is that the people that have already written reviews knocking it, haven't played it enough. I am giving it a 10 cause I know it will be when all is said and done. on top of that the multiplayer is ridiculously fun!
  6. AndyHuber
    Apr 30, 2008
    it's really amazing how overhyped this game is. i guess rockstar couldn't possibly have bribed all those reviewers. but still i'm wondering where it comes from, because:

the "great voice acting and facial animation" - give me a break. there's a >lot< better in e.g. mass effect or lost odyssey. the lip synchronization often doesn't fit, characters move there brows seemingly random - it's almost like back to the games where they first started using facial animation.

the "fantastic graphics" - admittedly, the city is huge but they still could've used more detailed character models and textures for closeup scenes. the "lot of detail" we're seeing in the game according to reviews look like something out of half life. objects with hardly any polygons and sometimes i'm wondering if there are even textures on them or they just colored them brown or something. once again i'd like to mention mass effect here. of course mass effect doesn't have those huge areas you can drive around in but it's simply wrong to just say that gta 4 has great graphics, period. if people would say that the graphics themselves aren't really nexgen-worthy but the huge world makes up for that - ok.

the radio stations... according to reviews there's so much great music. well, i might have different taste in music than most people but the point is - when i'm listening to a rock station, i want to hear rock and not hip-hop or something else!

now for the driving behaviour of the cars... since gta is mostly about stealing cars, you'd think that car handling would've been a major focus while developing the game. and it probably was but in my opinion they still didn't get it right. braking is way too slow.

various other actions can be performed at just the tap of a button... sometimes different depending on the context. which might not always be clear to the user, so you sometimes end up doing things you didn't actually want to do. e.g. sometimes "X" means climbing up somewhere. but don't ever to that trying to get on the ledge of a roof of a skyscraper. or you'll have to restart the mission and once more drive all the way there.
    that's one more point to criticize... that you always have to drive where the mission actually starts if you restart it. very annoying.

combat handling is also somehow related to this. for example you can switch your lock-on between enemies when using the right thumb stick while being locked on. sounds great theory, in practice it often doesn't work. you're locked on to someone who's behind some wall and just can't switch to the guy standing directly in front of you putting bullets in your head. and even if you try to switch off lock-on, look in the direction of the guy shooting at you manually and then turn on lock-on again, it often snaps back to the guy behind the wall. and you're dead. and you'll have to spend several minutes skipping cutscenes and either driving back there or waiting for taxis.

then there are those "characters you care for" and the "great story". most of the characters are cliche thugs i couldn't care less about. there are some that are interesting but still the interaction is so... minimal and pointless that i'm almost tempted to skip even new cutscenes.
    also, i think that the dramatic story doesn't help the fun you have while you're playing because you can enjoy killing people and such more if the game doesn't take itself seriously. of course gta 4 isn't completely serious but still too serious for my taste. especially the main character.

speaking about the main character. that guy talks to a "bro" whose slang is beyond everything i've ever seen in a movie. my mother tongue isn't english but by now i've seen around 1000 movies and quite some tv shows in english - and i still could hardly understand anything that guy was saying! even when i tried to read the subtitles! but the guy fresh from poland who doesn't manage to speak accent-free can understand him? yeah right.

so why do i still give the game 7/10 if i don't like all those things? well, the game world IS huge and impressive, the way people around the city behave and react to various influences is great and if the combat controls work like they should, it's really fun as well. also while the story, missions and such might not be the best, they are still moderately interesting.
  7. Matt
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's GTA with a new story and new graphics. Not a 10 out of 10. Graphics are average, not as much freedom as Crackdown and the music is nowhere near as good as Vice City's. Good points are attention to detail, cinematography, and sound effects. The driving is also very good, loose and fluid control and great damage modelling.
  8. ChristopherK.
    May 13, 2008
    An extraordinarily impressive virtual world, very interesting, but not as fun as it could be. The character and vehicle don't seem much improved on San Andreas and the gritty realism causes the sandbox feel that made the GTA series legendary to go away.
  9. AlienWare
    May 1, 2008
    ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC, and the first game that could dethrone Half-Life 2.
  10. AssholE.
    May 1, 2008
    Not deserving even half of its praise. Its a OK game, but so were the other ones. This is the same GTA but with better graphics. Most over-rated bullshit ever.
  11. Target
    May 1, 2008
    Very disapointing! Does not live up to the hype.
  12. JimboH.
    May 1, 2008
    Comparable to GTA III the first time you played it. Superb storyline. Been a while since I've played a game this fun. Loses a point because the humor that we saw in GTA III isn't really there (where's lazlow when you need him?!). They might as well of just had people randomly say "Republicans are stoopid" followed by a laugh track and some random swearing, since that's Comparable to GTA III the first time you played it. Superb storyline. Been a while since I've played a game this fun. Loses a point because the humor that we saw in GTA III isn't really there (where's lazlow when you need him?!). They might as well of just had people randomly say "Republicans are stoopid" followed by a laugh track and some random swearing, since that's basically what over half of the "humor" is. Expand
  13. RavenWolfx
    May 3, 2008
    I'd give it a 9.25 if I could, but this will suffice. The game is pretty damn good with the best story that GTA has had so far. The graphics are great, with some problems of graphic pop-in (I read that the ps3 verision has this problem a little less, but not much). The aiming system is much improved from previous games, but it still needs work, but the cover system is a welcome I'd give it a 9.25 if I could, but this will suffice. The game is pretty damn good with the best story that GTA has had so far. The graphics are great, with some problems of graphic pop-in (I read that the ps3 verision has this problem a little less, but not much). The aiming system is much improved from previous games, but it still needs work, but the cover system is a welcome addition. I like the cell phone addition, but it could have been further worked on. The multiplayer is pretty decent, but there are some complaints. For example, after you play a ranked match, you are kicked back into the party mode instead of just searching for another match. If you are kicked out of the multiplayer game completely, it loads up the singleplayer again, which is just a waste of time. The load time are long (both single and multi) but not too frequent, and I'm patient enough to wait a whole 10 seconds or so during loading screens (the initial load is much longer, lasting closer to 30 seconds, but I didn't actually time it). All in all, it is a Game of the Year contender, but GTA will find it very difficult when competing against Metal Gear Solid 4, Fallout 3, and Gears of War 2. Buy the game (should take over 30 hours if you do some side missions). Expand
  14. free187s
    May 5, 2008
    To simplify the reason for a 10/10: DETAIL No game in history has as much detail to graphics, storyline, dialog, and gameplay as gta4 has. By all means this game deserves a perfect score.
  15. MattL.
    May 6, 2008
    It's just like every other GTA game with a bunch of extra, they didn't raise the bar here or anything. It's insanely repetitive and designed to make you play the game twice for achievement. News flash developers, if your game needs achievements to make me play it again, it's not worth playing the first time. Multiplayer is mediocre and uncreative. It's riddled It's just like every other GTA game with a bunch of extra, they didn't raise the bar here or anything. It's insanely repetitive and designed to make you play the game twice for achievement. News flash developers, if your game needs achievements to make me play it again, it's not worth playing the first time. Multiplayer is mediocre and uncreative. It's riddled with mad design and because of the "seamless" design you often spend more time on load screens then you do playing when you get one of the two popular connection problems. When you look at games like Halo, Call of Duty 4, and Rainbow 6 Vegas 2.. the mutliplayer of GTA is a real let down. The game was definitely overhyped and Rockstar should have kept it until the holiday 2008. Expand
  16. MT.
    May 7, 2008
    Boring missions, can't see anything in the dark, same old game no innovations, graphics are just ok. I fell for the hype and after the overhyped halo 3 this is the last 360 game I bought, this is the game that got me to trade in my 360 and get a wii yesterday and I couldn't be happier!
  17. PaulF.
    May 7, 2008
    An excellent game in almost every aspect, but certainly nothing groundbreaking.
  18. SzchifoT
    May 8, 2008
    Ive completed this game now and its revealed itself to be pretty depthless once the main story is done. Why have a world so big when most of it isn't used? Ok you can go anywhere but theres nothing to do once you get there...i would have liked some more content once the single player was done. As for the multiplayer its pretty shabby (it seems everyone is going back to COD4 after 1 Ive completed this game now and its revealed itself to be pretty depthless once the main story is done. Why have a world so big when most of it isn't used? Ok you can go anywhere but theres nothing to do once you get there...i would have liked some more content once the single player was done. As for the multiplayer its pretty shabby (it seems everyone is going back to COD4 after 1 week). For those who have yet to purchase then grab a copy but beware, once you finish the single player missions this game with probably gather dust until the DLC in november - sorry PS3 fanboys but you wont be getting this. Expand
  19. WilhelmK.
    May 9, 2008
    Beautiful - just beautiful.
  20. JamesO.
    May 9, 2008
    Don't listen to a word these "professional" game reviewers are selling you. This game is far from heaven sent. It provides a fun, realistic world in which to run amok with your friends, but the last-gen controls and graphical glitches keep it humbled in the presence of games more worthy of your hard earned cash.
  21. ChrisC.
    Jun 6, 2008
    It's not great. It's not awful. Just repetetive and boring like Assassin's Creed- I was excited but then when I lost my game save it seemed like a chore to play so I stopped. I'd say that any game that says it offers so much yet only a small percentage of people who play it actually experience it, then I'd say it's not worth full price. I'm confused why It's not great. It's not awful. Just repetetive and boring like Assassin's Creed- I was excited but then when I lost my game save it seemed like a chore to play so I stopped. I'd say that any game that says it offers so much yet only a small percentage of people who play it actually experience it, then I'd say it's not worth full price. I'm confused why anyone makes excuses for this game. Do they own stock in the company? One more thing, I have in the past been hired to 'fill' user reviews on here and yahoo with a team so don't trust any reviews that are 10's on public forums. It's an industry practice that falls under marketing/pr. to fill in gaps so that a game doesn't track poorly. Remember, people get paid on how well a game or movie's scores are on here. Expand
  22. JV
    Jun 8, 2008
    Visually, the preceding GTA's are sick jokes compared to GTA IV, but the missions are almost exactly the same with a few deviations. The side missions are dull this time around, and there are lots of annoying changes made to the GTA formula, such as limited cars, limited safehouses, limited weapon roster, and probably most annoyingly is the limit to how much ammo you can carry. The Visually, the preceding GTA's are sick jokes compared to GTA IV, but the missions are almost exactly the same with a few deviations. The side missions are dull this time around, and there are lots of annoying changes made to the GTA formula, such as limited cars, limited safehouses, limited weapon roster, and probably most annoyingly is the limit to how much ammo you can carry. The most unrewarding part of this game is that after you complete it to 100% you're rewarded with nothing except that the ammo cap is removed, and with NOTHING to do after completion, who wants to waste their money on ammo? Of course the physics are awe-inspiring and the subtle details in every inch of scenery and movement are incredible. The gameplay is a little better as well. But all of the customization that made GTA San Andreas (clothes, cars, body type) has been stripped in this title as well. I think that Rockstar held back on this one; they gave us enough to please the professional critics, but are saving all the best features for future installments. Expand
  23. ChrisR.
    Jan 5, 2009
    *sigh* People are going to hate me for doing this. Folks its alright, and that is at a push. Now as far as a sand box game goes, the concept is pushed far here. But as far as a linear story line game goes, its pretty plain and boring. The Combat, occasionally confusing and not a great amount of skill is involved. Strenious, half the game is just pointless training missions. To be honest I*sigh* People are going to hate me for doing this. Folks its alright, and that is at a push. Now as far as a sand box game goes, the concept is pushed far here. But as far as a linear story line game goes, its pretty plain and boring. The Combat, occasionally confusing and not a great amount of skill is involved. Strenious, half the game is just pointless training missions. To be honest I have never really liked Grand Theft Auto in general APART from Vice City. The realism isnt appretiative in this game. I dont particularly see the fun in this game. Its always up to u to push for some action, it doesnt happen naturally. Basically im saying, if your creative enough and not easily bored, get it or try it. Whereas if your like me, prefer to get right into some action like tucking in to a nice steak pie get Gears of war 1 + 2 Expand
  24. EricS
    Aug 2, 2009
    This game was a very well done game. The driving was realistic which is probably why everyone hated it but thats life. The glitches were aplenty but no one could forget the swingset glitch or the skydiving glitch. The contols were sketchy and that costed this rating a whole point and the repetitive missions plus the fail-and-do-it-ALL-over-again also costed this rating a point but the This game was a very well done game. The driving was realistic which is probably why everyone hated it but thats life. The glitches were aplenty but no one could forget the swingset glitch or the skydiving glitch. The contols were sketchy and that costed this rating a whole point and the repetitive missions plus the fail-and-do-it-ALL-over-again also costed this rating a point but the graphics, funny characters, GREAT story, and diverse world with its internet and advertisments galore made the grand theft auto series what it is today. Expand
  25. jonathank
    Jan 2, 2010
    This game really has brought GTA to its finest. Although I would prefer San Andreas over this, GTA 4 is a ery good game as it is. THe graphics are very nice, as good as they can get. The driving has improved alot compared to the previous GTA gaes, and even though there might not be a lot to do in the game( ex. go to the gym, pimp your car), they made up for it by making the game feel very This game really has brought GTA to its finest. Although I would prefer San Andreas over this, GTA 4 is a ery good game as it is. THe graphics are very nice, as good as they can get. The driving has improved alot compared to the previous GTA gaes, and even though there might not be a lot to do in the game( ex. go to the gym, pimp your car), they made up for it by making the game feel very HQ. And to conclude my review, something for the people that are saying thre isnt anything to do in this game: quality over quantity. Overall, GTA 4 is really enjoyable, with all the cars and the multiplayer, although i think they could have removed some of the most unused things( the ATMs, other little things) to add one thing that everyone liked in san andreas: car pimping, baby! Expand
  26. crg
    Jan 2, 2010
    Great set piece & immersive world & incredible attention to detail. Excellent story telling & voice acting... but compared to SA its was not as much fun. The mission design was so repetitive, that I wasn't able to play more then a few missions within one session. Beside of that, the game was too easy. And the final mission(s) didn't feel final at all.. I thought Rockstar is Great set piece & immersive world & incredible attention to detail. Excellent story telling & voice acting... but compared to SA its was not as much fun. The mission design was so repetitive, that I wasn't able to play more then a few missions within one session. Beside of that, the game was too easy. And the final mission(s) didn't feel final at all.. I thought Rockstar is trying to fuck with me, when I saw the credits roll ... IMO overrated. Expand
  27. EricR.
    Feb 1, 2010
    At the end of the day the game did a good job of keeping me entertained until its closure, but nothing about it made me go "wow" or "that should be in other games." I guess most notably the soundtrack was my favorite aspect, otherwise I'd just rent it.
  28. MichaelA.
    Nov 15, 2008
    It's apparent from most of these comments here that our society constantly degenerates. Easily one of the best games of the decade with a compelling story and great voice acting, tight gameplay, etc. Seriously, unless you have problems with some of the morals in the game (and the really bad decisions are left up to the player so people really can't get offended...) then I find It's apparent from most of these comments here that our society constantly degenerates. Easily one of the best games of the decade with a compelling story and great voice acting, tight gameplay, etc. Seriously, unless you have problems with some of the morals in the game (and the really bad decisions are left up to the player so people really can't get offended...) then I find it hard to believe so many people think this is overrated. Especially since San Andreas is slightly overrated in itself. Ugh. Expand
  29. BryanK.
    Apr 22, 2008
    I don't know how any of you are actually rating this game before its even released. You are all probably haters who just put low scores to be funny. Well I'm gonna give it a perfect score, just to go against everything you stand for.
  30. MichaelH.
    Apr 26, 2008
    Greatest game of all time. Period.

1. It's got a world you believe in, a cast you care about and a script stuffed with brilliant moments... Utterly stunning in every resepct. [May 2008, p.79]
  2. Xbox World 360 Magazine UK
    Rockstar have surpassed themselves, delivering unquestionably the definitive GTA and perhaps the greatest videogame of all time. [June 2008]
    I could go on and on about why Grand Theft Auto IV is one of the best games we've ever seen and why even folks who are easily offended should play it, but that would be pointless. The only thing you need to know is that you have to play this game. Period.