5.6

1. Oct 3, 2013
    Disgusting, the complete opposite of single player, a fancy lobby for minigames interwoven with a grind for money farm fest. Not to mention the minigames are so bad. You replay missions to grind for money, races and deathmatches, 16 players in a map so big, the free roam is pathetic. This is not even mentioning the servers were a disgrace, even though they release it 2 weeks after launch to avoid the bad reviews. Billion dollar game huh? Can't even get the concept for a good online game right, but you nailed single player which i loved. Shame really. The people who came up with the online design should not be considered for the next GTA. Good job on milking those stupid enough to buy money with real money. Expand
  2. Oct 21, 2013
    A good idea spoiled by terrible execution. The bad sport mechanic ruins a lot of the potential fun in this game, and the bugs and ridiculous level do as well.
  3. Oct 4, 2013
    I had some extreme issues at launch, but after a while, it works like a charm and it's awesome when you finally get past the extremely bugged out tutorial. Everything is awesome after that, but Rockstar, I am still a bit disappointed.
  4. Oct 5, 2013
    you guys shouldn't be giving bad reviews to the game yet, of course there are a lot of problems with servers and all but the game is absolutely fantastic when runing smoothly, i hardly had so much fun in a online sandbox game, it's just great fun.
  5. Oct 23, 2013
    GTAO can be a fun at times, but this is not a whole game. This is not a complete game. This is a Beta. We all paid $60 for GTA V and got the GTAO beta for free. As a beta I'd score it a five because you can't really score a beta, and five is the median, the average; neither good nor bad, but just there.
  6. Nov 8, 2013
    Grindfest that could, and should have been a whole lot better. The wasted potential here is staggering.

Added to that the lack of people connecting to pretty much anything you try to start from the map kills the online entirely. One can only imagine how many more features or how earlier released GTAV could have been if rockstar hadn't wasted their time on this POS.

Rockstars
    previously unimpeachable reputation has taken a huge blow with this, I was genuinely excited for GTA Online in the run-up to release but it has proven to be a damp squib. Expand
  7. Oct 23, 2013
    Masses amount of problems from start to finish, even now I still have problems. Bad community of online players as well. Very disappointing, expected more from a company like Rockstar.
  8. Oct 2, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic. A vast improvement over GTA IV multiplayer the additions of missions and robberies keep the experience fresh and the sheer number of purchasable items, ranging from beer and cigarettes to sports cars and apartments always gives the player a reason to chase the big money. The ability to do masks, hats and glasses on the go is also a welcome addition which should also be included in the single player experience.
    Whilst I am aware of all the issues with servers at the moment this was to be expected, with *R selling double the amount anticipated. People criticising need to understand the technical difficulty with trying to provide an online service for a possible 20 million people all at the same time.
    On another note there has also been concern over the effect micro transactions have in the game. They however whilst the money packs can be used to purchase cars, apartments and clothes etc they can't be used to give a clear advantage in combat as weapons and armour along with car modifications are locked depending on player rank.
    In summary I would highly recommend this game for any fan of online sandbox games or long time fans of the series.
  9. Dec 15, 2013
    No this isn't because the launch was kind of a failure, I don't care about that. What I do care about is the overall quality of the Online.
    The Online is fun, I won't pretend it isn't because that would be a lie. HOWEVER the online does still have one fundamental floor that cripples the experience. The currency. Every feature is designed to try and spend as much of your money as possible!
    If you want to do a job that requires some kind of aerial vehicle you need to BUY ONE! Since 9 times out of 10 no vehicles will be spawned. Or how about when you die near your personal vehicle (Which is a pointless feature) it gets impounded and will often be damaged so you have to break it out of the Police Station and then repair it. And you NEED a personal vehicle as if the cops see you in a vehicle that isn't yours their spider sense kicks in and they know it's been stolen. Or you'll get a bounty put on your head by the owner who magically knew it was you that stole it (the game is called Grand Theft Auto for God's sake).
    The game also actively tries to stop you causing chaos with friends as the military bases and airports are walled off and difficult to get in also you have so little health that you die in very few shots.
    So in conclusion GTA online is ok you can have fun but is limited by certain features.
  10. Oct 12, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto V is one of the best games out so what could go wrong with Grand Theft Auto Online, two words 'gameplay problems' this is maybe better than other online game launches (Star Trek Online)
    But it was so buggy it took about 7 hours in total to get in a game
    even then i was either disconnected or my character disappeared.
    Though put all these negatives besides, GTA Online
    offers a lot of fun, if you get into a game and some of your other friends have it is so fun and addictive.
    (MOST OF THESE ISSUES HAVE BEEN FIXED)
  11. Jul 10, 2014
    This is a complete disappointment and a big f--k you from Rockstar to all its players. This is everything I don't want in a multiplayer game, in a multiplayer game.
    Problems with GTA online:
    1: Grand theft auto IV had more hackers and modders then you could care to count in the lobbies. Well Guess what? They return! There is no shortage of hackers at level 1000 with invincibility and
    billions of dollars running around. And the hackers give out money making Rockstars Microtransactions Worthless. It complete kills the atmosphere of the game.But even that is not the biggest problem with this game.
    2: RDM (Random Death Match)
    Yes you can kill people and it can be fun, but it gets dull almost instantly. Every time you try doing something in freemode, Someone comes up and murders you, blows up your car, sets a bounty on you, Sends mercenaries to kill you, Calls a mugger to steal your cash. And its even worse when they Come up in a Tank and start killing you on spawn. Yes there is a "passive mode". But passive mode is complete GARBAGE. You can be run-over and killed, If your driving a car in passive mode you can still be shot to death, and the police can still shoot and kill you. This is one of the main reasons I play in Invite only sessions.
    3. Police are Merciless, and RELENTLESS.
    It seems any time you try doing anything, the Police come after you. They are completely reckless, annoying, and a complete disaster. I have noticed the Police CHEAT in game, both in storymode and Online. Here is a list of what I have seen them do:
    - Police Cruisers get a random speed boost and ram into you hard.
    - Police Cruisers can keep up with your sports car at high rates of speed, Indicating they have speed hacks. You can test this if you do not believe me by getting in a police cruiser and getting in a chase, Although your driving the same car, They are faster and ram into you hard causing you to spin out.
    - Police spawn right on top of you while in a chase. Countless times I have seen police cruisers spawn a few meters ahead of me. Its unneccesary and takes away any fun in being chased by the police.
    - Police Magnetically go to your exact location. Even in a fighter jet Police helicopters follow you even though they have no idea where you are.
    - Police can randomly gain sight of you even though they have no visual contact on you. Again, This can be proven by going underground with police helicopters chasing you.
    - Police chase you while fighting other players. This is the main reason why I hate online. Having a gun fight with other players in freemode? So are the Police. I guarentee the Police will kill you more then players while trying to have a fight. They also chase you over minute things.
    Rockstar should have done what they did in GTA IV and made lobbies with, or without the police. But of course we all know that would mean more work and for Big ass greedy companies they would rather play the game of "How long can we keep the mice going while giving them the least amount of cheese possible?"
    4: Matchmaking is Complete Garbage.
    Particularly the Quick job crap. The jobs are already a boring grind fest that produce little money, But the Match making MURDERS it. Select a Mission, And the Matchmaking gives you: Last team standing games, Capture mode games, and Top fun Games. I want to do a mission, not a PVP game mode. 75% of the time you end up getting a mode you didn't select. And the Voting screen also, is complete Garbage. If I finished a Mission, Why of 6 choices do I get Parachuting, Deathmatches, Races, and No missions? Yes missions may show up, But not frequently enough. Its completely broken, And it is complete unnecessary.
    I can go on ALL day about what makes GTA online not worth a Cent. If you enjoy a Linear grindfest Garbage dump filled with hackers, Broken menu's, Crappy lobbies, Crappy players, Reduced amount of vehicles, Hackers, Crappy Rockstar Ticket services, And issues carried over from Single player you will feel Right at home. For everyone Else GTA Online is not worth your time. I have played GTA online from October 1st to Now and it has not improved vastly, and continues to disappoint. I am a level 123 with a 2.59 KDR before the fanboy defenders call me a "noob". Please avoid Online at ALL costs and stick to single player, Or play a different game that doesn't screw over its players.

**Update July 10 2014**
    Often games improve over time, As updates roll in, and bugs get fixed. However there are always exceptions, And GTA online is one of them. They infact, have managed to make all my previous complaints worse.
    #1 DLC.
    Oh how nice free content!.... oh all the DLC content is at a unreasonable price. oh new cars! oops, nevermind they are all overpriced.
    #2 Earning money
    I said this in december "The jobs are already a boring grind fest that produce little money" And they made it even HARDER to earn money. You don't profit on 90% of jobs anymore. "Freedom of GTA 5, online!" my ass.
    Do. Not. Play. GTA Online.
  12. Nov 10, 2013
    A lot of bugs and a bad plot with monotone missions. Nice to play with friends, but left much to be desired. In my opinion the big problem in the hole GTA V game was the "online mode".
  13. Dec 30, 2013
    I got gifted 3 billion then got banned wth is this garbage s*** mess disgusting i dont even know......................................................
  14. Oct 23, 2013
    Flawed in every sense. There's a few snippets of joy to be had here with friends (and I mean people you know in real life). The fun of driving around robbing liquor stores can't be faulted.

But, when the wheels come off (and sadly, they frequently do), it's a completely broken game.

Even when it works though, there are a lot of strange design choices that seem to exist to
    deliberately make the game a grind.

And it's just forcing players to have to farm or glitch and others to follow suit if they don't want to be left behind. Why buy a car when players are simply duplicating the rare ones for each other? Why put a bounty on a player when they can just sit in their apartment and collect the money for themselves.

I also find it frustrating that "Missions" aren't separated between PvP and PvE. Co-op is great, but at the end of the mission they give a list of suggestions that are all PvP.
    what's the point of that?

People saying others shouldn't be giving bad reviews now because of problems with the servers you shouldn't be giving good reviews IGNORING the state the game is actually in. People are paying for Xbox Live to use this feature and I think it's unacceptable that it's very unstable over a month after release.
  15. Oct 28, 2013
    This is a great game which shows promise to deliver more. There are some players who just expect every vehicle and weapon handed to them on a plate, if you can get past that expectation you can enjoy the rewarding experience of earning your first property and super car.

While the game suffered in the first couple of weeks this was understandable given the amount of copies of the game
    sold, most issues have been resolved and rockstar are working hard to address the others.

A mixture between free-roam where you can do what you want; and group missions with a set goal. You can choose to create havoc for other players though the most enjoyment comes from working with other players.

Rockstar are listening and with future DLC such as heists coming our way I can see people playing this for a long time.
  16. May 10, 2014
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!1!1!111!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. Oct 14, 2013
    Well it had problems on day one launch which is normal for a game with so many players, but since everything was fixed you can say that this game is AMAZING! you can do bunch of stuff in Online with friends, this is best open world game ever made so GTA V GTA Online 10/10
  18. Oct 29, 2013
    so many glitches and doesn't run well. the game is just a series of minigames with a lot of waiting in between. hard to enjoy a game like that, including all the people who just run around and kill you. the auto aim makes no skill required to play, and other people will just snap to you and kill you. also don't expect your character to be there when you log in again.
  19. Feb 8, 2014
    Released 14 days after the much anticipated title Grand theft auto 5. Players from all around the world flooded into servers on October 1st to take part in Rockstar's idea of an authentic multiplayer experience. what fan received was none other than a below mediocre experience. Featuring no solid story what so ever. The lack of dialogue and introduction of many new hate worthy characters. makes mission frustrating as hell when you spend 20 minutes on average to earn a messily $2000 that just might be able to replenish the ammunition you used during the mission. But the real question is what sort of price can you put on this artistic travesty?. The answer depends on how gullible you are for a flashy set of wheels or a the best apartment money can buy. $26 AUD will get you around $1, 250, 000 in game cash which if you don't spend right away is taken away slowly in hospital fees when you player is murdered. the most expensive item in the game to date is the rhino tank costing $3, 000, 000 which works out to be nearly $60 AUD. which cannot be stored in a garage and has to be redelivered costing quite a sum of money every time it is destroyed. Multiplayer modes such as TDM and racing are just a couple of the things that you can hate and love at the same time. delivering high and fast octane action the only way your going to see gold is by putting the money you spent hours earning into betting . 5 months from release capture the flag has been the only released game mode post released leaving fans aggravated at the fact the highly anticipated aspect of GTA online heists is still not available. playing a major role in the single player alone heists would be originally thought to have been released a launch of a few weeks after at the most. already detailing some aspects of the game mode though the multiplayer trailer released before GTA V's launch. friends and your complex imagination on free roam are just about the only things that want you not to smash your head into a brick wall after moments when you realize the $225,000 is the exact same as the $400,000 apartment with a different view or your just about done with the mission side of things. final verdict 5/10 GTA V Online delivers a lousy unfinished work that shares the same amount of effort as the 2013 bombshell Alien: colonial marines Expand
  20. Nov 15, 2013
    There is a reason why the user score is so low. Many users jumped the gun on their review, and wrote it the day of release. Within its first week, GTA Online was glitchy, buggy, and basically impossible to even start. There were so many issues with the game, that people gave up hope on the game. They figured it wasn't worth it. Along with that, server issues led to thousands of deleted characters, having users need to start all the way from the beginning again. I waited as long as I did to write this because I knew Rockstar would fix all of the issues. Thankfully they did. Now GTA Online is a beautiful and highly enjoyable experience for you and up to 15 friends. You can do everything you can do in single player, and then some. Rockstar really listened to their fans when creating GTA Online, and it is a huge step up from the multi-player in GTA IV. Whether or not you are competing in races, deathmatches, or you are simply doing a designated job for one of the many contactable players (most from single player). You are never left feeling bored while playing GTA Online. Frankly, the only issue I have with the game is how repetitive it is. Rockstar announced that there will be over 700 missions available to play from the start, though after hours of playing, you find yourself playing the same mission over and over and over again. Objects are expensive in GTA Online, at least 30% more expensive than they were in single player. In order to purchase the items you really want, you'll have to end up repeating a lot of missions to make the money required. Making it a drag really. Overall, if you'll only buy GTA V for the online, I wouldn't say that's a bad thing. You'll get your money's worth. Expand
  21. May 20, 2014
    Some of the worst multiplayer I have EVER seen. They removed everything that was fun about the singleplayer and replaced it with godawful activities that are devoid of any enjoyment, they expect you to fork over loads of money for cars, planes, garages, and weapons to the point were its not even worth it. The game is called GRAND THEFT AUTO. Not "citizen simulator". That's not even including that the game is completely unfair, people are able to spawnkill you over and over since you spawn in the same spot all the time, they can snipe you half way across the map, and you lose ammo every time you die so you can be completely out of ammo and people will spawnkill you again, and again, and again. And if you fight against someone with a higher rank you have no chance in hell of EVER killing them since they can easily kill you in one hit with no skill required. You can't steal other peoples vehicles because of course why would you except that from a game called grand theft auto? This game has the worst multiplayer I have ever seen, devoid of any enjoyment and expects you to play its **** TDM activities for 12 hours to buy 1 gun. Expand
  22. Oct 20, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto Online A ambitious online entity to Grand Theft Auto Five. The outrageous fun you can have in GTA online is amazing. When the servers are working The character creation system I found in innovative.The system in not linear as such titles as Saints Row This new system can make your dad be past characters from other R* titles such as Red Dead Redemption or Grand Theft Auto 4. Some minor glitches occur but these are nor game breaking nor annoying.
    So if you prefer the wilderness of Blaine County or you sweet new apartment in Los Santos your sure like GTA online.
    9/10 Very Good
  23. Oct 23, 2013
    This is my scoring and this is why. First I was able to understand the issues on launch. Almost every major game has them. So I waited. Three weeks after launch I fired it up and decided to try it out. While the single player was nearly free of major bugs the online portion is almost an unplayable mess. The game lobby found me a game and kicked me. This didn't happen a few times either. For my first hour this was the only thing that happened. I decided that I would give solo a try. It seemed to work for about 3 minutes until I got stuck at the first race. Booted back to single player I tried again. This time I managed to finish it. I got to the "Last Man Standing" mission and it found me 7 other players. and timed out. Not once or twice but it did this for 2 hours straight rendering the game basically unplayable. It was not an internet issue but a Rockstar server issue. I absolutely loved the single player portion of this game. But seeing as this review is for the "Online" game I can't justify giving this game a good review. With a game that's riddled with greedy micro transactions, horrible online support and game killing server issues Grand Theft Auto Online is anything but a functioning title. Expand
  24. Oct 26, 2013
    GTA Online is a very decent addition to the finest game of the generation but is only really enjoyable with friends in short bursts. There is plenty of things to do around Los Santos but many activities can tire and with dated technology; it's hard to see if R* can continue to add to the Multiplayer experience on the current consoles. There just isn't enough to keep you engrossed once you've seen it all but it's nice to flit in and out now and again whilst playing the main campaign. It's a freebie nevertheless so it's a welcome addition and if we see GTA V appear of the next gen; we may see the mode develop and expand in time. Rockstar are certainly passionate about the title and have fixed many teething problems since launch so I highly recommend trying it out. Expand
  25. Oct 24, 2013
    this is why this is bad, the singleplayer for Grand Theft Auto V was perfect, however the multiplayer was off par... i wanted to just free roam with my friends.... i didnt want you to turn this into a mmorpg, and all people do is Random Death Match you, its so annoying.... multiplayer doesnt need a story to be perfect... what made grand theft auto grand theft auto, is that you can do essentially whatever the you want... GTA Online has taken away your ability to do this with friends... well at least without a whole posse of morons blowing up your car for and giggles... Expand
  26. Dec 13, 2013
    This game has been great. The online for the first couple of weeks was glitchy and laggy but since then I havn't had much of a problem. I enjoy playing online just as much as playing the first player experience. With the ability to play with random people or friends and rob stores together or do a multiplayer deathmatch has just brought many hours of entertainment to my home. This game would have been worth $100 let alone $59.99. Just the feeling of robbing someone after they win a deathmatch before the reach the atm is video-gasmic. I am a true fan of GTA and this online gameplay has only enriched my already smirk expression. My only hope is that they add the stock exchange program to the online gameplay soon. I drool from my mouth for this game. 10++++++ Expand
  27. Dec 24, 2013
    I could go on forever about how this was not all it was cracked up to be.

But in short, it was a terrible disappointment and I'm OK with giving it a miss.
  28. Dec 27, 2013
    Amazing in Nearly Every Way
    This is almost a good as the singleplayer as of pure quality. Overall it is much better than the campain. Online has a leveling up system that makes you work hard for weapons, a little to hard at first though. I shoulden't have to give 3 hours of gameplay just to get to level 6 to unlock a crappy submachine gun, Despite the slow level ups you can buy apartments
    and customize your charters appearance. Speaking of the look of your charters the cahrater creater is awfal. You costomize your guy by picking parents and then your grandparents. i think a tradidional carather creater would have been much more effective and simple. Despite of that the cloths you can put a fairly massive of clothes to begin with. Also there is even more clothes coming via free dlc. Yes free dlc. One of the high points of the game is the fact that you can do it all with up to 16 other people. The amount of fun things you can do is absolutely ridiculous.The 16 player count is kinda low for a world of gta’s size. The world you play in is set in San Andreas which is based of of southern california. There are 2 halves the map. The first is Los Santos which is based off of los angeles The second is Blaine county, which consists of wilderness, small towns, and a military base. The map is absolutely massive and blows any other game map out of the water. However over a quarter of it is consisted of untrekable mountains. The map has tons of detail, but you can’t go inside any buildings. The map is indestructible sadly. San Andreas/ Los Santos is a great setpeace for the pure fun of this game.it pushes the 8 year old consoles farther than thought previosly possible Fun is proberly the best word to descirbe this game.

Despite a few drawbacks this game is absolutely amazing.
    Score
    9.7/10
  29. Jan 7, 2014
    I see the score of this game and I am so surprised of the score it has, I love gta online, it's so much fun doing everything I did in gta V with my friends! Anyway just saying, best game ever, disappointed with the players who had rated this game.
  30. Jan 15, 2014
    Overall good game, beside the beginning problems and all the hackers, lots of content to explore until heists come out. new update every two months that keep things fresh
  31. Mar 8, 2014
    This is the GTA game I've always dreamed of. There are some problems though. At launch the servers were faulty. Also, as you level up in the game, you can get better weapons. That sounds good, but if anyone new joins, they have no chance of leveling up because the dicks on XBOX live (no offence to XBOX Live players, just I've met a lot of **** on XBOX Live) keep killing them unfairly.
  32. May 27, 2014
    Just awful. The game is full of microtransactions, long loading times, bugs, etc. Everything costs more than double the price of it's single player counterpart, and it takes forever to get a decent amount of money. The only way to get a lot of money is to either buy the stupid microtransactions or keep farming the same mission over and over again. You can't even go out and screw around because if you die or something you lose most of your money, which is not something you want to do. The missions are repetitive, the game modes that there are are boring, and the amount of money things cost is horrible. I feel like Rockstar was trying to do some sort of roleplaying game, but failed misserably. Expand
  33. Jul 7, 2014
    Very disapointed by the improvements of online. It's almost a year old now, and alot of things are still missing. Heist, and alot of bugs and connection problems has to be fixed. The basic of the game is very good, But the technical part is ****
  34. Jul 23, 2014
    Ok ok so lets start with the good

The good

-Lots of activites
    -you can be a driver and a passinger
    -Robbing stores nice
    -Lots of clothes
    -Awesome dlc
    -8000 levels

The bad

-no topless strippers
    - lots of annoying people try to kill you
  35. Jul 15, 2014
    It's great, and at the same time, pretty awful. I love the freemode, but there's literally no story. Even the "missions" are just "Go from point A to point B, get this, and go back to Point A.", no exceptions. The crews aren't really much of anything, and money is really difficult to come by. It's fun to just drive with some random player, escape the police, and go rob a bunch of convenience stores, but it gets old pretty fast. I think that the heist update will definitely improve it however.

Speaking of the updates, they just add vehicles and weapons, that's it. The least they could do is add some more music to the radios, instead of the same 8 songs on repeat for each radio station. The setting of Los Angeles isn't very enjoyable either, compared to the setting of Chicago from Watch Dogs. There are still plenty of errors, such as everyone seeming as though they're disconnected when you join. They could have done a much better job with this, and I'm honestly disappointed.

1. Nov 27, 2013
    Diverse, chaotic, and loads of fun, especially with a group of friends. [Christmas 2013, p.84]
  2. Nov 1, 2013
    It’s been a tough start, but this is the way to go. If they keep polishing the experience and adding content, Los Santos is going to be our home for a long time.
  3. Oct 26, 2013
    The great number of diverse things to do in the game is its strongest asset.