8.1

1. Sep 18, 2013
    GTA V being very overrated is probably the worst thing about Metacritic User Reviews.

The Game is brilliant, an easy 8-9/10, but it isn't perfect, Murky Textures and somewhat dull activities are highlighted here. Campaign is interesting,the world is Huge and messing around has never been as fun on a GTA game, but if you're reading reviews and want a genuine answer of the games

Campaign is interesting,the world is Huge and messing around has never been as fun on a GTA game, but if you're reading reviews and want a genuine answer of the games quality that isn't biased about how its 'perfect' or 'terrible' this is what you need to read.

Pros:
    Huge World
    Storyline
    Characters and General Improvements to them
    Pace

Cons:
    Textures
    Activities (while fitting to the game, tennis isn't something i want to spend my time on GRAND THEFT AUTO doing.)
  2. Sep 19, 2013
    I think I've been spoiled by the recent influx of really good third person shooters and open world games. Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row, and others have all added a good mix of fun and great ideas to the genre. And because of that, I feel rather unimpressed by GTA V.

The story is weak, which isn't really that surprising since most GTA games aren't known for their depth, but I was actually really invested in the stories of Red Dead Redemption and L.A. Noire, both of which are of course Rockstar titles. None of the main characters really appeal to me, they're not funny or clever, and after 30 hours of doing just story missions I find myself really let down. I get that everything is a parody, that the political cartoons on TV and the jabs at Facebook are pop culture references, but none of it is really making me laugh. The side characters like Jimmy and Tonya are just obnoxious and I keep wishing I could permanently drive them off a cliff, but I can't!

As for gameplay, the driving is really bad, and with cars being the center of the game mechanics, that's saying something. Cars don't feel very different, they don't seem to have much weight to them, the GPS is really archaic and detracts from other things. There are clipping issues with items along the road and the car physics still seem way off. Shooting from cars is horrible, I mean who the hell thought it would be a great idea to make shoot and target the same button? That kind of stuff is unforgivable in 2013, especially since other recent games have it so much better. Movement is clunky, it feels like it hasn't improved a bit since RDR, I constantly "bump" into people and annoy them even though I clearly didn't even touch them. Moving around the house or inside areas does not feel nice, it feels like I'm moving a fridge rather than a person. Why is it so hard to actually stash cars and have a garage? What happened to my customized cars? It feels like Rockstar didn't put much thought into making car management very fluent, and again, when cars are so prominent in the game, WHY is it like this? Also, the mission rating system is ridiculous when you can't even seen the requirements for different medals before or during the mission.

The side missions and activities are all over the place, they're not deep enough to be good simulations, but they're also not good enough to be arcade style mini games. Tennis in particular is terrible, so why even bother putting it in when you don't make it any fun or any good? Managing stock markets, browsing the internet, watching TV, going to strip clubs, etc, they're all kind of boring and I felt no need to do any of them ever again.

Character customization is average, it's nowhere near as fun as it is in Saints Row, and so far I haven't found anything worth buying at the clothing stores in Los Santos. The leveling system for stats is not fun, since you can't really tell you're getting better at something until the game tells you. There's no way to track progress, which makes it uninteresting. They'd have been better off just making the different characters good at certain things and bad at others, and then just keeping it that way. The fact that you need an iphone app to level your dog is especially when the app itself is unstable and keeps resetting progress. Please don't make external apps that influence in-game stats, it's a terrible idea.

Graphics wise, meh, while I think it looks a lot like L.A. the game is certainly not pushing any boundaries. The aliasing makes everything seem...I don't know, shiny but unappealing? There's something about it that doesn't feel right, it feels a bit too reflective and not real enough. I'm kinda sad that there's no performance capture stuff like they had with L.A. Noire, GTA V looks really old in comparison which is weird.

I won't bother to complain about every gaming site giving it a 10 since it's just a product of this gaming generation, but I will say I'm surprised to see that many normal people raving about it. The game doesn't bring anything new to the table and is quite honestly very boring most of the time. I would have rather had a game like Red Dead Redemption set in a different time and place, something a little more interesting than a recreation of L.A.
  3. Oct 12, 2013
    Rockstar have truly lost their way, instead of fun over the top games they now create messy, misogynistic games that try far too hard to be offensive for the sake of it. GTA 5 does have some amazing features to it, such as the world and how detailed it is, but sooner or later everything you appreciate the game will come crashing down due to one thing or another.

The controls in this

The controls in this game are absolutely awful, I expected Rockstar to have worked on this after the mess that was GTA 4, but they feel practically the same. You can't just throw in an auto aim that is far too generous because you couldn't be bothered to fine out the aiming, that is just shameful. The driving is better admittedly, but it couldn't have gotten any worse after GTA 4. Every action is over animated, it makes the controls incredibly cumbersome and frustrating and nearly impossible to get through small doorways without running into walls first.

The story in this game is about as disjointed as they come, the only real connection being that everyone needs to make money, which is once again an incredibly lazy plot driving point. I never had a sense that what I was doing was important to progressing the story or characters once during my time with the GTA 5 main missions and I found myself getting tired of it very often. Free roaming is a lot of fun, probably where the most fun will be had with this game, there is a lot on offer in the world of Los Santos and it rewards the observant gamer. It is a shame then that the police will punish you for even the slightest of crimes, tap one of their cars? Accidently bump into an officer due to the clunky controls? They will shoot you on sight for it. I'm not sure if there is an underlying message to this about America and its police brutality or if Rockstar really were just too lazy once again to bother adding different reactions to each wanted level.

The biggest problem with this game is GTA Online, unfortunately it comes as part of the package so it should be rated as part of the entirety of this game. The playerbase is absolutely awful, one of the worst standing side by side with the Call of Duty community. This however is not Rockstar's fault, but like it or not you will have to rely on these people sooner or later to help you either in missions or just roaming around. The missions themselves are pretty much just cut and copy over and over with only the bare basics changed; such as mission location or how many enemies you need to kill. Practically all the missions will revolve around killing a group of people, collecting something and then reaching a destination.

GTA Online was never going to live up to the hype it created, but it could have been so much more. Because of the disappointing single player and the outright horrid Online feature I can only give GTA 5 a 6/10.
  4. Oct 2, 2013
    Whenever I play this game, I can't help but feel like there's something missing. I find myself comparing it to GTA IV and being a little disappointed. The story is a pretty good one, just not as good as IV in my opinion. Shooting doesn't feel as nice as it did in IV, although I like the new weapons wheel. Driving has pros and cons. One pro being that the tires handle better. Another beingWhenever I play this game, I can't help but feel like there's something missing. I find myself comparing it to GTA IV and being a little disappointed. The story is a pretty good one, just not as good as IV in my opinion. Shooting doesn't feel as nice as it did in IV, although I like the new weapons wheel. Driving has pros and cons. One pro being that the tires handle better. Another being that the player doesn't fly out the front window of the car nearly as much anymore. Flying was rather annoying in the beginning of the game but got better either as my characters flying skill was improved or mine was. Not sure which... Probably the biggest annoyance I have with the game, is the lack of intractable buildings. GTA IV had fast food restaurants, hospitals, etc that one could walk into and interact with. That's largely gone in V. Also, the game isn't quite as fun to run around goofing off as IV. Too easy to die and whatnot. I also hate that the cheats can't be easily activated like you could in IV using the cell phone. To me, cheats are essential for proper goofing off.

The game just feels considerably less fun than IV to me. Maybe when it comes out on PC the game will look better, play better, and fix some of the cons.
  5. Oct 2, 2013
    While Grand Theft Auto V is an amazing ambitious technical achievement, it still has a lot of flaws and doesn't have that magic that previous games in the series had. I'm sure you've heard all the great stuff about GTAV, so I'm only going to focus on its problems.

When i first heard that the game would feature 3 main characters, it had me worried that the game would be 3 short stories instead of 1 long one. And this worry has since been confirmed. I managed to finish the main story in 13 hours and 34 minutes, plus i spent a good hour or two dicking about during the story. Also bare in mind that even though i had finished the main story missions, i was still only 74% complete. So while it's still a long game, it's still short for a GTA game.

The story isn't as good as previous GTA games. It's not a patch on GTA Sanandreas or GTAIV. You remember and grew fond of previous GTA characters. The only memorable one in GTAV is Trevor, and not because he's a good character who you will grow fond of and will on while playing the campaign. It's because of the crazy dark he does throughout the campaign.

It simply doesn't have the magic that previous GTA games had. I've been playing GTA since it began way back in 1997. I'm sot sure what it is, it just lacks that GTA magic! I'm still playing GTA Sanandreas 9yrs on, it just never gets old and i'm still discovering new buildings/clubs etc to explore 9yrs on. GTAV doesn't have all this. Yes it has buildings you can enter or buy, just nowhere near as many as GTA San Andreas has. For instance the size of GTAV is huge, yet it only has 1 strip club. It has Clucking Bell and Burger shots, but you can't enter any of them. You can enter clothes shops and buy an array of different clothes for your characters though, but still not as many as GTA Sanandreas. You can also enter 'some' petrol stations, even though the interior is just a copy and paste so each looks the same. Again, you could enter more and had more in GTA Sanandreas. So it's been scaled back in this area to add new different content, like Tennis, Yoga, drinking juice, alcohol, going to the cinema etc. You can't play pool or gamble like you could in GTA Sanandreas either.

Car damage has been toned WAY down and a bit weird in GTAV. In the previous instalment GTAIV, cars would realistically crumple on impact, even the roof. On GTAV you can kick a car and it would dent and smash realistically, but, if you crash into another car or a wall etc hardly anything happens and sometimes nothing happens at all! You can dent, scratch, have bits fall off, jam your wheels etc, it just a hell of a lot more to achieve all this and is very inconsistent. It really is a big let down and takes a lot of fun out of the game.

GTA has always been famous for adding such insane detail to its games, and GTAV is no exception. To see a car go around a corner to kick up a little swirling dust cloud is impressive even if i have only seen it happen once so far. The fact that Rockstar North adds these tiny details is part of what makes GTA so amazing. Trouble is GTAV misses some silly little things from previous games that niggle me. For instance, in GTAIV if you drove head on in traffic, the traffic would beep their horns and flash their lights. In GTAV they just beep their horns. In GTAIV if a pedestrian was in the way you bepped your horn and they would move. In GTAV they totally ignore your horn. To get them to move or react you have to be driving quite fast near them for them to react. Or if they refuse to move and ignore your horn you just have to wait for them to walk out the way or run them down. Breaking into cars is also a mixed bag. Some people react and some don't (In GTAIV they reacted) In GTAV they will either react with an "OMG" moment for a split second before walking off without a care in the world, some don't even notice or care, and some phone the police.

The Police A.I is another downer. You can't even fart without the police being alerted. In previous GTA's you could have a little fun before the police were even alerted. In GTAV if you even look at somebody wrong a whored of police is there to blow your head off. They way they hunt you down is very DRIV3R as well. This kills some of the fun for me.

Another thing is the handling. Each car has its own handling as in previous games, but this time its very twitchy and arcadey. And the bike handling is straight out of DRIV3R which is another huge let down. The handling in GTAIV was spot on, very cinematic.

The radio stations in GTA III were great. The radio stations in Vice City were fantastic. The radio stations in GTA Sanandreas were legendary. The radio stations in GTAIV were ok ish. The radio stations in GTAV between "meh" and ok ish. You can see it has tried to mimic GTA Sanandreas in a way, but it's falls flat. 90% of the music is poop (It features Brittney Spears, i know!!) and the humour is nowhere near as good as previous games.
  6. Oct 3, 2013
    My score a 5 out of 10. Simply because Multiplayer has been an utter travesty. For anyone who wants to play this game. Buy it for the Single Player only and get it on a discounted price, DO NOT BUY FOR MULTIPLAYER because at this time there is none whatsoever.
  7. Oct 15, 2013
    This game is so overrated by critics. It's not worth a 10/10! The map is very large, but there is not much to do than in other GTA. Many many bug. Some Frustrating gameplay. Automatic shooting is so boring. This is a disappointment for me. Too many promises unfulfilled. Who wants to play golf, tennis etc We can not even sell our car. And I'm not talking about Online!!!
  8. Feb 10, 2014
    I myself at first had great fun with this title, yet the fun very much wears thin after an extremely short amount of time. You see, the game has so much, and believe me a lot of it is very appreciable and is fun, yet so so much of it is painfully sub-par. Allow me to make an example, in one mission playing as Trevor (who buy the way is a psychopath who should have far better things to doI myself at first had great fun with this title, yet the fun very much wears thin after an extremely short amount of time. You see, the game has so much, and believe me a lot of it is very appreciable and is fun, yet so so much of it is painfully sub-par. Allow me to make an example, in one mission playing as Trevor (who buy the way is a psychopath who should have far better things to do with his time, such as blowing up international airports and banging women) in which I had to blend into a work environment in order to plan a robbery, and this involved using a crane to stack crates. FOR HALF AN HOUR. THIS MONEY GRABBING, 9.5 ACTION AWESOME BADASS TITLE HAS ME STACKING CRATES AND A DOCK FOR HALF AND HOUR. GOD! I hope future titles in the Grand Theft Auto series have far less grindy nonsense than this overblown bore. Expand
  9. Sep 27, 2013
    Its the same of all time, but its ok. By the way, the online has not released yet, but I think it will be very similar with GTA IV, just as I say it, the same of all time.
  10. Oct 4, 2013
    This game is Great! Why only a seven out of ten? Because a seven out of ten is good! This game achieves many things. The easiest way to explain it is like this. Imagine San Andreas had a child with GTA 4, it took the mother's eyes, and personality, but the father's loves,and passions. This is what GTA 5 is, i mix between the best of GTA San Andreas and GTA 4 to make a behemoth of a game.This game is Great! Why only a seven out of ten? Because a seven out of ten is good! This game achieves many things. The easiest way to explain it is like this. Imagine San Andreas had a child with GTA 4, it took the mother's eyes, and personality, but the father's loves,and passions. This is what GTA 5 is, i mix between the best of GTA San Andreas and GTA 4 to make a behemoth of a game. But, and this is a stinky but. The script, and characterization are total crap! GTA 4 was witty, cynical, and interesting, meanwhile GTA 5 is filled with toilet humor. Apart from the the game isn't very creative, and does little to change the formula. Sure i can play as three different characters, but when does character's scripts are no more complex than And their arcs are more like angles it makes little difference. It's fun in gameplay to switch between people, but it's not different enough to be praised as much as it is. And after 7 games in the same series, all just being slight upgrades of the others, i would have expected perfection by now. If this was a new IP I would praise it and tell them to keep going and try to improve. But considering this how old this series now is i just want to say one thing to Rockstar. Maybe you guys should stop beating this horse, because you have almost killed, but time after time you fail to finish it off. Buy a new horse and maybe with the experience you got from the old one you can kill this one quickly. Expand
  11. Oct 3, 2013
    The overall experience in the in-game economics, and also potential gun play missions attracted me to this game. For one, almost nowhere is off-limits if you don't get caught, and weapons can be customized. I enjoy the fact that you are able to switch between characters. The citizens is also not just walking aimlessly around, and seems to have a personality. These are all the good points,The overall experience in the in-game economics, and also potential gun play missions attracted me to this game. For one, almost nowhere is off-limits if you don't get caught, and weapons can be customized. I enjoy the fact that you are able to switch between characters. The citizens is also not just walking aimlessly around, and seems to have a personality. These are all the good points, and the parts that makes it enjoyable for me. A lot of work were put in with the world itself.

Some people might call this blasphemy, but GTA V is not what I expected. As an adult, who used to mingle in circles with biker gangs and miners, I can honestly say the amount of using "f$%" in one minute is completely out of the acceptable level. Yes, as an adult you don't let kids play this, but, they can still hear. I play games with proper sound on to enjoy it. Also have a job and don't play much during the week, so on weekends I have to play this on near mute

The sex scenes is also completely unnecessary. It felt to me the script and story were written by young virgins. There is a fine line between controversial and just plain trashy. A great game does not need this kind of content to make it sell. See my first paragraph. If it was left as side missions, where it's up to the player to discover, it's ok but making it part of the main plot is, well, losing the plot.

Last complaint, the battle mechanics is really not up to scratch as with other 3rd player games. Yes, people use the term "But it's open world". Look at Infamous and Batman for comparison. Not to mention the upcoming Watchdogs. This part I felt was neglected.

I won't comment on the driving. For me it's ok, since I don't really do driving games. If I can avoid it I use the taxi or aircraft. But this is a matter of taste, and I am sure most people play this game just for this part.

Overall I think the hype sold it. It has a huge fanbase, but this is definitely not for everyone.
  12. Oct 8, 2013
    The only reason why I'm giving GTA5 a neutral rating is because I'm unsure, it's way to hyped but that's to be expected, it's a R* game, ITS GTA., that being said the game it self is ok at best, beat it afue hours ago, the story was.... above average at best, it was obvious to see where it all was going before it went there and I for one don't like predictable games, game play was the sameThe only reason why I'm giving GTA5 a neutral rating is because I'm unsure, it's way to hyped but that's to be expected, it's a R* game, ITS GTA., that being said the game it self is ok at best, beat it afue hours ago, the story was.... above average at best, it was obvious to see where it all was going before it went there and I for one don't like predictable games, game play was the same as any GTA, default auto-aim unless changed and the free aiming sucks, melee combat is clunky and slow with poor hit detection and the driving is as unrealistic as always, music channels and the songs in them are very poor and almost seems rushed and the movement isn't much improved compared to the past games but I did like the idea of 3 character switching in the middle of doing a Heist, the abilities the characters have are useful but pointless because I rarely used them and the skills didn't seem to make a huge difference in the games play style so those didn't matter really either, the multiplayer of GTA Online I can't rate or talk about because my char is level 10 and by the looks of it I won't get any higher because I either have session problems with timing out or being kicked off or I get kicked from games for no reason that I can see. All in all its worth playing but not worth paying full price for. (thank god my friend bought me mine) Expand
  13. Oct 10, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto V is an amazingly beautiful game, but fails to capture me in the story and character development. If this game wasn't a sandbox, Id rate it even lower.
  14. Ogr
    Oct 14, 2013
    GTA V is a huge open-world-game filled with tons of stuff to do. Everything about this game is already said, so to cut a long story short: GTA V makes fun, it makes fun to cruise around and switch from one character to another etc., but I must admit that I don't like the story oft GTA V and all in all it's "just" another Grand Theft Auto. There are some new things of course, but they don'tGTA V is a huge open-world-game filled with tons of stuff to do. Everything about this game is already said, so to cut a long story short: GTA V makes fun, it makes fun to cruise around and switch from one character to another etc., but I must admit that I don't like the story oft GTA V and all in all it's "just" another Grand Theft Auto. There are some new things of course, but they don't give me a feeling of playing a new game. After playing GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, GTA IV this game gives me not much except doing everything I already knew from the older games very well.
    So GTA V plays very well, but still I hope for more innovation for the next Rockstar game.
  15. Jan 26, 2015
    I don't get why everybody's praising this game, it has a terrible story, horribly unlikable characters and repetitive gameplay. It's not God awful since it has great gameplay and amazing graphics, but the overall experience could have been better.
  16. Sep 25, 2013
    Now that GTA V has been out for over a week and people have had time to sink their teeth into the real meat of the game, we can finally start seeing some honest reviews about the experience, from start to finish. It's no surprise that the game is pretty good as reflected by its sales and media buzz, but I feel that all too often the media exaggerates the quality of a game like GTA V andNow that GTA V has been out for over a week and people have had time to sink their teeth into the real meat of the game, we can finally start seeing some honest reviews about the experience, from start to finish. It's no surprise that the game is pretty good as reflected by its sales and media buzz, but I feel that all too often the media exaggerates the quality of a game like GTA V and frustrates people that were expecting that kind of quality. GTA V has quite a few problems, actually, and I'm going to bring them to light.

First of all, the visual style of the game is great. Played it on the xbox and was surprised to find some great lighting, a great sense of being in an expansive world, and some stunning looking water with cool displacement physics. Characters, vehicles, and the environment look generally great. It's when you start getting into the countryside that things fall apart. Terrain has gross, tiling textures making up a lot of the landscape with some poorly detailed, sparse vegetation here and there. The desert area simply looks awful. Framerate is at the very least as inconsistent as GTA IV, though the drops are not quite as severe.

The controls are once again a point of issue. On foot and driving controls are generally tighter, but for some reason your ability to free aim has taken a hit, especially in vehicles. Awkward weapon draw times and clunky aiming out of the vehicle makes it impossible to steer and hit your target. The camera doesn't help either. Each character has their own set of skills and abilities that you can upgrade through use of whatever that particular skill requires. Improving these skills didn't seem to have too profound an effect with any character, especially sneaking, which seemed to work brilliantly regardless of how far the skill was progressed. The only real change I may have noticed was weapon reloads becoming slightly faster with shooting upgraded. Big whoop.

Gameplay is solid for a Grand Theft Auto title, but apart from a few cool new setpieces and the more complex structure to heist missions, it's generally the same old drive here shoot this guy sort of deal. Scripted chase scenes are still the absolute worst thing in this game featuring completely invulnerable AI drivers that are always faster than you until some arbitrary point where life is breathed into the husk of the car and you notice the suspension physics taking over. Speaking of heists, they're yet another disappointment. There are only six of them, and all of them have two ways to take your score. Each one has you going around town collecting items and vehicles needed for the gig before actually going for the score. The bad part is that the later heists have you collecting a lot of objects and not doing a whole lot with them in the end. You spend more time preparing than you do actually taking scores! What makes this even more frustrating is the inbetween side missions and activities. Most of the strangers and freaks missions fall prey to boring, formulaic GTA gameplay. Go around searching areas for cars to deliver, or go around searching for something to steal, or just go chase down and kill some dudes, maybe bring something back. Most pay next to nothing, and unless you really enjoy the dialogue in this game so much, there's no real reason to do these. SIde activities bolster stats, but they really just function and that's it.

Notice how I mentioned that getting paid is a problem with side missions? Well, this problem extends to the rest of the game. Outside of missions, there isn't a whole lot you can do to earn cash. Buying property is probably the best way, but to do that you need money to begin with, so until you've done most of the heists (and missions in the game for that matter), you'll probably not really have the money you want to get the things in the game you want. For instance, the very expensive vehicle tuning, which is a luxury you can afford to live without. Then you have the stock market. Other than buying stocks recommended by a character who runs assassination missions and making a little money that way, I stood clear of it.

Now finally, the part everybody loves. The social satire in this game is more often than not hilarious. The only real reason I continued to play this game was because I really got into the writing and the characters. It's not so much that I was doing some of these boring, play-by-numbers missions for the sake of getting through, but so that I could see how the characters would react to whatever crazy thing just happened and what might happen next for this story. Then the game started to progress and I started losing my love for the characters. They really don't undergo any real changes, and sometimes behave in odd, erratic ways that seem like contrivancies to keep the plot moving in a particular direction. Then you have your ye olde Rockstar ending, and I don't have to say anything because it's so obvious what's going to happen. I'll give it a 6/10.
  17. Sep 19, 2013
    A good game but hardly revolutionary, the 3 character model does add some more diversity to the story but that leaves you with 3 characters to build until they are decent and switching from one to another you do notice when one is lacking. The game has all the good stuff they gutted from GTA 4, but little else, but they have made optional activities and mini games it less intrusive whenA good game but hardly revolutionary, the 3 character model does add some more diversity to the story but that leaves you with 3 characters to build until they are decent and switching from one to another you do notice when one is lacking. The game has all the good stuff they gutted from GTA 4, but little else, but they have made optional activities and mini games it less intrusive when you want to be doing something else.

The graphics are solid but not exceptional, the mission structure is alright but obvious and while the plot line is complex, enjoyable and different it is more than a little thin in places. The map is nice and it is quite a challenge to get used but in a good way. The AI is both good and bad at times; the cops are like rhino’s on steroids and the npc’s on the street can be just as bad.

And quite honestly the Trevor character is a bit too psychotic to make him likable; verging on sociopath monster-a whole lot of anger went into making him and this game in general I think.

If you liked GTA 3 then you will like this game, but wait until its half price or you are trading something in for it.
  18. Oct 11, 2013
    Very dissapointed with this game. The clunky movement and gun mechanics feel like a real letdown. The game offers a lot of things but does none of them well at all. The graphics are weak and there appears to be no innovation here.

Loading times are also far too slow. Any other game with these loading times would have been destroyed on day 1 reviews. The general interface also feels quite poor.

I understand that 5 or so years ago people might find the size of the world immersive, but there's simply a real repeditiveness throughout. This will fool some for a while and then they will move on to another game.

The one plus is the fairly enjoyable driving and car customization.

I can't believe how many critic reviews give this ten. Over hyped and something fishy going on there imo.
  19. Sep 25, 2013
    Overall, a disappointment in singleplayer.
    Pro's
    More Vehicles Los Santos Customs Planes Massive open world map Buy-able Businesses Stock Market Cons Characters you cannot relate to. Side activities are dull. Police are impossible to Survive getting away from. Helicopter handling is awful. Not enough health Terrible Frame rate. Loading times take too long. Aim reticule is a
    Overall, a disappointment in singleplayer.
    Pro's
    More Vehicles
    Los Santos Customs
    Planes
    Massive open world map
    Buy-able Businesses
    Stock Market
    Cons
    Characters you cannot relate to.
    Side activities are dull.
    Police are impossible to Survive getting away from.
    Helicopter handling is awful.
    Not enough health
    Terrible Frame rate.
    Loading times take too long.
    Aim reticule is a tiny dot that is very hard to see.
    Unexplained reasons for the Balla's owning Grove st.
    Yes, I'm not one of the sheep giving this game a perfect score because of the logo on the box. Time to wake up to the reality that this game is just another GTA 4, except a lot less fun, as for multiplayer time will tell. 6/10 Singleplayer score. Hopefully Multiplayer is a thousand times better then the dissapointing single player.
  20. Oct 2, 2013
    Sorry but Rockstar I like my games with anti aliasing, a nice resolution, a high framerate, more custom-ability and most importantly on my platform of choice which you don't understand actually has a market? Just incase you lived under a rock :P. Oh and by the way I have been spoiled the ending by a facebook photo comment so yeah pretty being a GTA Fan and a PC Gamer ey?
  21. Oct 3, 2013
    When buying GTA 5 I became extremely excited thinking it would of improved on everything wrong with GTA 4 and therefore make it the better game. I was wrong. The story was awful with only 69 main missions overall of which some were stealing vans and driving them back for storage. There are only three big heists in the game in which 2 are boring and easy. The last mission was also extremelyWhen buying GTA 5 I became extremely excited thinking it would of improved on everything wrong with GTA 4 and therefore make it the better game. I was wrong. The story was awful with only 69 main missions overall of which some were stealing vans and driving them back for storage. There are only three big heists in the game in which 2 are boring and easy. The last mission was also extremely disappointing as it was ridiculously easy and long winded. After finishing the game I looked at my stats and found that I had only played 5 hours as Trevor, 8 as Micheal and 10 as Franklin, throughout the whole story I never got attached to one character like I did with Niko and Roman which I feel was because of the lack of personal story based missions and the fact you have to play as 3 people constantly switching.

If you were a fan of the GTA 4 flying and driving you will be massively disappointing, they moved away from realism in the cars and instead went to Saints Row style driving with every car having an insane amount of grip which leaves you almost not needed to even concentrate on driving at all. They unfortunately went the complete opposite way in the flying department making it to realistic, you cant fly a helicopter straight for more than 5 seconds even with the maximum flying stat. This also applies for flying planes. I've tried numerous times to steal a jet which admittedly should be hard but not as crazy as it is on this, I got shot out of the sky while parachuting almost near the clouds by a tank! This level of accuracy also goes for the police who will not give up even on a 1* wanted level for at least 2 minutes, the tutorial says to hide in alleys to get away from them, but guess what as soon as you do this they pull up near you, get out their cars and start looking for you on foot.

I have been playing the online over the last 2 days and I can say I'm un-pleased with this aswell, I dont mind the constant bugs because I know so many people are on it and that its still got alot to work on. Your online character creation is horrendous and virtually impossible to make look like yourself or any human being for that matter. Rockstar also felt the need for each user to be allowed 5 online characters 2 of which are unlocked straight away, I doubt anyone will even use more than 2 character slots as you don't have special abilities or load outs for them and you may as well just play as one person and get there stats up as high as possible.

Overall I am very disappointing in the lack of enjoyment I got out of this game, If I was you I would rent before buying this game and even then with the price it is now just go and buy GTA4 as you will have more fun in every second.
  22. Oct 11, 2013
    Gta 5 was very fun at the begining but after a few hours I started to see its flaws. Gun play and movement felt chopy and The world may look amazing but after a while of exploreing you find that it is just as empty as all of the other gta worlds. With all of this hype i expected more from gta 5.
  23. Mar 8, 2014
    A superfluous experience; visually impressive, but ultimately a bland experience. The three main characters only have a single motive: ill-gotten wealth. They may've intentionally substituted plot for an enjoyable experience, but both aspects fall flat. There isn't much fun to bad had that hasn't already been doable in the previous instalments. Multiplayer is also a bore; a hodgepodge ofA superfluous experience; visually impressive, but ultimately a bland experience. The three main characters only have a single motive: ill-gotten wealth. They may've intentionally substituted plot for an enjoyable experience, but both aspects fall flat. There isn't much fun to bad had that hasn't already been doable in the previous instalments. Multiplayer is also a bore; a hodgepodge of boring activities that replace searchable lobbies for each game-type, a poor money system, and a lame selection of games to choose from after a match ends. The game's story is worth experience once, but that's about it, really. Hardly an improvement over it's predecessor. It still suffers from he Sandbox Paradox; You can do anything you want to do, so long as it is within the permitted bounds of the game; you can choose how to plan a bank robbery, but only with the listed options provided. Expand
  24. Sep 19, 2013
    Rockstar did it again. And by that I mean GTA 4.

They put you in a huge game world, with interesting characters, landscape and all that (and even more now with customized weapons and cars). Then they put all of it in the trash because they're not rewarding you for anything, aside from the story missions. It's a complete joke. Why was Saints Row so fun? Side missions. Why was GTA:SA
    Rockstar did it again. And by that I mean GTA 4.

Why was Saints Row so fun? Side missions. Why was GTA:SA so fun? Side missions. Why was GTA:VC so fun? Side missions. Do I need to go on here?

So you buy this business, and the manager calls you because some guy is robbing you. So you go there and cap the guy. What does that give you? NOTHING. And if you just ignore it, the result is... the same NOTHING. Oh wait, maybe you'll get $15-20 from looting the corpse.

Or you can rob the two car wash stores in town and get $1000, big deal.

Or you can stumble upon some armored truck and rob it for a few grand, if you happen to find them AND if you're lucky.

Or you can invest on the stock market by listening to tips on the radio. Oh my god, who the hell cares?

Oh and some of the businesses you can buy cost a few MILLIONS.

Like GTA:IV, the gameplay is fun and all, but there is NOTHING to do in there. I really hope GTA Online is the sh*znit, otherwise it's the last GTA I'll ever buy (and I have never ever thought I'd say that back in the SA days).
  25. Sep 19, 2013
    Pro: Best Open World experience in gaming history, nice graphics, good sound and music
    Contra: Boring story, incredibly bland and uninteresting characters, the game cant decide if it wants to be serious or like Saints Row.
    In conclusion: Good, but worse than GTA IV.
  26. Sep 22, 2013
    As I played it, I just didn't feel the magic, it just felt, recycled, to the extent that I felt like I was playing a reskin.
    Whilst a must for newcomers, I can't help but feel that die hard fans, or fans of the series, who have kept up with the series, won't feel anything new.
    I give it a 6.
  27. Sep 21, 2013
    This game is very fun. The story feels like a movie but at the same time it's still a game. The characters are also great. all three of the main characters have their own motivations and all have very defined personalities so they never appear similar to each other. The game looks and sounds great, absolutely great attention to the details in the environment and all the characters andThis game is very fun. The story feels like a movie but at the same time it's still a game. The characters are also great. all three of the main characters have their own motivations and all have very defined personalities so they never appear similar to each other. The game looks and sounds great, absolutely great attention to the details in the environment and all the characters and people on the streets animate so fluidly. However, the gameplay the bulk of what your going to be doing, is plagued by something i like to call "Realism Delay," it's what happen's when the game developers try to make their game so immersive and realistic, that the game mechanics get in the way of the control of your character. GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 had this. some people can get over it, but then there's people like me that like to have complete control over the one there controlling. I got a lot of respect for R* they are a great Developer that love what they do, but with these glaring game design choices i cant bring myself to love this game like so many other people. I give it a 7/10. Expand
  28. Sep 25, 2013
    GTA V is... disappointing. Don't misunderstand me, it's still a good action game. In fact, it'll would be a great game if the game wasn't entitled "Grand Theft Auto". Before continuing, I have to say that I couldn't rate this game without comparing it to his predecessor, GTA IV.

For me, GTA IV was a big step in the evolution of the series. Not only the story became credible as it turn out to be an excellent critical view of the contemporary American society (protagonist who did not finished billionaire and leader of the world, secondary characters and friends with terrific personalities and backgrounds), but the graphics were improved and the game play became realistic as well (movements, driving). I big step indeed from the GTA III era.

But still, some people thought that some things were missing. Like planes and money value per example. GTA V promised to brings back the possibilities and actions from San Andreas and bring the most biggest map playable until today.

I bought the game, the 17th September like any true fan. But, two days later, without fully knowing it at the time, I wasn't that much enjoying the game. The characters backgrounds are really "cliché" and minimalist. Plus, it is very difficult to immerse in a world who wants to be a "virtual re-creation of real life", when the element of story ask you to go out in the desert, steal (alone) an army jet, kill the passengers (still alone) and make it explode in mid air while your jumping out of it doing a quadruple back flip in a jeep before literally kicking yourself out of the vehicle to land safely with minimal damage of the balcony of your mansion.

On the game play level now. One of the first missions is to steal a sports car. The game introduce you to driving. At high speed, I make my first left in trying to follow what looks like to be my partner. No accident, in fact when I turn right on the next intersection, I understood that I could easily turn at 120 mph without any problem. But at the third turn, I made an accident, crashed into a wall and hurting to death a young women on the way. The car did not seems to had any majors scratches... and the bloodstains!! I think the engine of PS2 does better than this! But at the same time, try to look, sitting on some any vinewoods hill mansion's roof the city of Los Santos at midnight... what a view... seriously... you can see the blur effect of the car light at a distance, it's completely different from the bloodstain that is still on your car just two foots behind you. That's what's GTA V is about, irregularities.

They promised a huge map... seriously, the huge map, you got it! But what does that means? Is it even a "good" point? I mean... Shadow of the Collossus had a huge map (people who played the game probably know what I mean). Shadow of the Collossus had an huge map, but with nothing really in it, but at least the emptiness of the map had a purpose for the player make him feel lonely. That's not what you really wanted in what is supposed to be the virtual Los Angeles... it is big, but empty. GTA IV had more pedestrians than GTA V. And the activities!? You'll have 100 hours of game play, they promised... Much activities! Well you can try to play the cheap golf mini-game, but after one game, maybe you prefer to play Tiger Woods PGA tour next time you have an urgent need of playing golf. The Tennis! it's cool, but the IA... what a fool... But hey, you can even hunt! Hunt..? Like animals? Yeah, like animals! So you can hunt them take them back as a trophy!? Well... not really. But you can shoot them! Oh... so like in Red Dead Redemption, shoot them for meats and sell it, cool... Hum... not that either... by shooting them, I meant... shooting... them... period... Oh...

The games want you to think that there is much to do out there, but it is simply an illusion. The game is fun, even if it seems that I saw just bad things in the game. No, the missions are probably the most exciting in all the series, but it sacrifices the immersion, the credibility. The fact that they are three protagonists isn't a bad idea, but you don't take a liking in any in particular, meaning that you don't want to spend more time than needed with any of the three of them.

I could go on and on, but I have to stop at some point, and that point is now. To finish, saying that the game worth a 0 out of 10 is purely childish, but to give it 10/10 well... let's say that some people are easy to please. Like I said, I give 7/10 because it is a GTA, and from a GTA, I had more expectations. If that's the orientation that the series choose to take well... you won't be seeing me, in the next few years, in a line waiting for the VI, like you don't see me in a line waiting for Call of Duty.
  29. Sep 22, 2013
    Innovation? improved graphics? improved physics? clunky controls make it impossible to aim without overshooting nearly every enemy you aim at. Driving feels like L.A. Noire meets midnight club, its like all the cars are driving along invisible rails instead of feeling like they are actually driving along a road. Only the character animations have improved, car crashes look worse than inInnovation? improved graphics? improved physics? clunky controls make it impossible to aim without overshooting nearly every enemy you aim at. Driving feels like L.A. Noire meets midnight club, its like all the cars are driving along invisible rails instead of feeling like they are actually driving along a road. Only the character animations have improved, car crashes look worse than in GTA 4 with little to almost no body damage to the cars. The story feels way to over the top, most of the dialogue is cliche at best, no multiplayer on day 1 release. Oh and the heists... nothing innovative here just scripted action sequences, pay day 2 has better heist mechanics than this garbage. Also lets not forget the horrible frame rate stuttering and pop in. Expand
  30. Sep 18, 2013
    In some respects, Grand Theft Auto 5 is a victim of its own grand design. It's clearly the best Open World Game in existence, but even now, after playing it with enjoyment, it still pains me to see how far away we are from that ideal realization of an Open World Game.

Of course this game has a lot going for it, most of which doesn't need to be said, but there are still a boat-load of things related to open world immersion that, even after five years, haven't been realized. The major cripple for me is the enormous amount of buildings that just cannot be interacted with. Now, I wouldn't expect every room in every skyscraper to be enterable, but at times, the game just feels like a giant shell for you to traverse.

AI of enemies, pedestrians et al is still as wishy washy as ever. The amount of times I've seen scripted nonsense go back on itself is quite disheartening, e.g punch a guy out of his car, he agros on you, you take the car fifty yards down the road, reverse back, then the guy is yacking away on his cellphone without a care in the world. Shoot a guy dead, then pedestrians will run for as far as you can see, but come back a minute later, and they'll be stood beside his body without any interest. There's countless of scripted stuff that goes jerky in missions and cop chases. The wanted system has defied logic ever since the game existed, so it's a shame they didn't make it more realistic. I just don't see the sense in the cops being on your tail one minute, and the next completely forgetting you exist.

In fact, it's a shame a lot more things weren't made realistic. The whole game plays too arcadey for its setting. Gunplay is the same old stuff. It feels fluid but hardly satisfying, and the auto-aim is the biggest gamebreaker I've ever seen.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment of all is the only true moment of brilliance Rockstar came up with this time around wasn't even fully realized the heists. For the most part of the game, you have to make your own fun. The missions are pretty much the same old A to B affair, but heists could've been massive. The prep work, the management before hand, dozens of ways to execute... sadly, R* just didn't put enough behind it, which is a shame, considering all the timewasters they put in here.

Looking back at all the things they highlighted in trailers, like hunting, real estate, tennis, golf, races... It's all pretty stocking filler. Something like hunting might sound good on paper, but when you realize how unrewarding and trivial it is, you roll your eyes a little. Same goes for real estate, it just has no depth whatsoever. For me, all of these things could have been sacrificed to make heists better.

Also worthy of note is the map size. Definitely not small... can't deny that. But when you just take the city, it's small, when compared to the other games. The countryside in LS is borderline nothingness, just like RDR was. I'd be able to dig the immersion, if the game around it wasn't so fast and unresponsive.
  31. Sep 19, 2013
    So to play the "full" version of this game you need: 1. To preorder so you can have the "bonus" content, 2. Have a "smartphone" 3. Have a facebook account 4. Pay for Xbox gold 5. Pay for "DLC" weapons etc that are already on the disc. 6.Have an internet subscription. And this is a single player game that I just paid full price for...
  32. Sep 20, 2013
    While GTA V may have raised the bar in several areas as compared to GTA IV, in one crucial area it has dropped the ball.

The huge open world looks beautiful and is highly detailed, the shooting mechanics have been fine-tuned, and the story is great. All of these help to immerse you into the world. However, the immersion, in my opinion, ends the second you step foot into a vehicle.

All of these help to immerse you into the world. However, the immersion, in my opinion, ends the second you step foot into a vehicle. This is where my biggest issue with the game begins.

In short, it feels like Rockstar have stripped away any personality that the vehicles had in the previous game. Instead, the vehicle handling has been homogenized to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Rather than make a driving system that is rewarding and based more on skill and a small investment of time, it has been simplified to the most basic levels, making it a breeze for anyone to pick up and play instantly. As a result, it has become boring.

The vehicles are now merely an appliance used to get from point A to point B, rather than an experience of getting from point A to point B. Gone are power slides around corners, and having to constantly be aware of the way your car was behaving. Instead, you can't break traction at all, cars self correct when drifting using the handbrake, turn on a dime, and come to a complete stop in 50 feet from any speed. An SUV handles like a supercar, and a supercar handles like a go-kart.

What is even more perplexing are the vehicle upgrades. When the cars can perform like they do in their stock form, what is the point of the upgrade system?

In a day when everyone wants instant gratification, it appears that GTA has finally succumbed in the driving arena. For a game with the word "Auto" in its' title, this aspect of the game is a huge disappointment.
  33. Sep 22, 2013
    BAD ENGLISH: 1 punch knock-out... woooww this is stupid. i kill (or knockout? but i dont see the diffrence) in 1 hit? stupid ass hell.. plus in other gta's you realy need to get the guy, now you can run 2 meters behind him, punch the punch button en magically he can make a fast super punch move and knock the person down.. again in 1 punch :D yeeeee fun! yeee iam 13 years old and i likeBAD ENGLISH: 1 punch knock-out... woooww this is stupid. i kill (or knockout? but i dont see the diffrence) in 1 hit? stupid ass hell.. plus in other gta's you realy need to get the guy, now you can run 2 meters behind him, punch the punch button en magically he can make a fast super punch move and knock the person down.. again in 1 punch :D yeeeee fun! yeee iam 13 years old and i like this soo much yeeee!)
    Shooting? Its for me al the same, shotgun, pistol, automatic rifle... all the same Feels ok, not fun after 1 hour... if you think its fun? You never played other GTA's. Its was more fun killing people in GTA 2 you stupid newcomers.
    Explossions.. looks not nice. Again it was more fun in previous gta's., It looked better in GTA 2:P
    Driving? Some people hate the driving in gta IV but they had no skillss The driving annoys me in the beginning but after learning it, it felt i was a very good driver... In real life you have to steer also a lill bit harder with a bad car! Now all the car ar the same.. acardy steering (very fast and loosy)
    In gta 3 you can shoot heads, arms and legs off... in Vice City Still Heads.. after that it was in no GTA game anymore.. dissapointment. Killing is for me now all the same. shotgun or grenade.. they lay down thats it.
    AI: Its very boring, point youre gun at a car.. he drives you over.. or he backup and get out of his car. You kill somebody... everbody runs away... 5 minutes later they comeback didd'nt regonice you as a killer. You shoot somebody in the head and the ambulance is coming, they looked at the guy, they say some very stupid and walked away? (why not bringt the bodie to the hospital.. they still do that with dead people also!)
    Police: If i drive in a big big truck... the police can never push me 3 meter foreward. Iam a GTAIV expert with loosing cops and now i can loose cops very simple again. They never catch me for 4 hours killing everthing if i want... People without skills can act like it are good coops but they arre'nt. Stupid assholles with bad voiceacting. Still killing civillians when chasing 1 stupid (me).
    Graphics: when walkinkg its somethimes very beautifull... (not normal..) realy next GEN on a old console.. But thats the problem.. when driving or in action look in the dept.. look to the leaves and lines.. they are shaking in some way... its drive me crazy. and the driving it selfs cant make up for that. And somethimes overlighted polishd ****!
    Old Good Stuf not more in Gta V: Walk into a hospital=NO MORE. Not take out youre gun in a stripclub or annumationstore.
    Ammostore: You can go in there with a gun, if you shoot already from the outside wait for 1 police star and then you can go in? WHY the is this? In the GTA's before you can go in and shoot everbody you want. (New Govverment Rules in America? because of the crazy shooters in schools and public buldings? )
    The disco in Vice City with gayguys dancing was so fun for me... everythime is played the game i go in there and shoot everbody... so much fun.. And now its impossible or you need police searching you Why? rockstar? why?
    Go in to somebodys Yard and you see them grill some burgers.. Its looks very cool and killing them was superB. Hiss glasses felt of his head and i kicked 1 time more and he was dead, his wife stood up run away and i punched her also down. Everthing lookes so good, but when i walked 3 meters away and comeback. Some new guy was grill burgers near the body's and dont give a The house was already selled to a new owner i think?
    Playing Tennis is a slow bored game in GTA V. It lookes like its in little movieparts, i still prefer Topspin. And then you think: DUHH thats a tennis game. Please get rid of the tennis and make a better AI a better MAP better fighting system. Get rid of al the extra features and make a better more fun gta than befor. And not a mix of san andreas and gta iv (and car driving like saintsrow, little bit the punching system allso... there where poeple who missed the fun in gta.. they tried it now but it doessnt work! give me GTA IV boring but real!)
    Driving arround on gras sand of the street is no diffrence maybe a lill speed diffrence)
    Its no fun for me anymore to drive aaround and do stupid stuff. You realy nead to follow the story. But a humping dog is not funny, blackguys saying al the time is not good voiceacting? Its not funny when youre IQ i higher than 100!
    You realy need to do the story and i think thats still oke... go to a get B get on a jet ski, car, airplane, bus and go to C. Aim Lock Shoot the Bad guy run run, drive away go there go here GO A BEAR.
    tip: never run away or drive away. simply stop you car shoot al the ****s following you need a lill bit skills and than go ;)!

Gave a 5 ,normaly 8. But whant to kill all the fanboy 10's btw.. i wasssss a fanboy of GTA)
  34. Sep 23, 2013
    This is certainly not a bad game, however I think it is safe to now say that all the critics have been bought out. Are you all aware that R* released all the critics reviews a day before release? Do you not think this is a little fishy? The game is not worth my money after watching some reviews. It was worth playing through other means though, if you know what I mean. Average game,This is certainly not a bad game, however I think it is safe to now say that all the critics have been bought out. Are you all aware that R* released all the critics reviews a day before release? Do you not think this is a little fishy? The game is not worth my money after watching some reviews. It was worth playing through other means though, if you know what I mean. Average game, everything GTA 4 should of been. Expand
  35. Sep 21, 2013
    I've been playing GTA games since 2001. After playing GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas i was satisfied and ready to move on. There is so much hype around this version. The shooting mechanics and controls are clunky and lame. The cars don't have enough burst of speed. By now Rock Star should make sure everything is polished before release. I don't need another GTA game. I've doneI've been playing GTA games since 2001. After playing GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas i was satisfied and ready to move on. There is so much hype around this version. The shooting mechanics and controls are clunky and lame. The cars don't have enough burst of speed. By now Rock Star should make sure everything is polished before release. I don't need another GTA game. I've done everything i could ever think of with the 3 versions i have. Expand
  36. Sep 19, 2013
    Good game-play wise, graphics look a bit crap. a lot of GTA IV mods look way better, but gets 6 because items magically appearing when driving fast is very annoying if they fix that then I would give 9/10.
  37. Sep 19, 2013
    It's a little unfair to rate this game considering the most exciting feature, the multiplayer, is yet to be released. That said, the base game is a treat to play, with the character swap being the trump card.
    If it seems that it is more of the same it is. And that's a GOOD thing. We have a brand new city to play in, new ways to create mischief and more activities and things to do than you can shake a submarine at.
    Sure the iffy controls are still there, personally I'll never understand why they persist in forcing that pov, or why the gun mechanics are the way they are. Or why driving sometimes feels like you're driving with slick tyres.... on an oil slick. Mastering them, remembering all the controls all takes time and is not intuitive as I could wish.
    The game is pretty, it has to be said, but like GTA IV it would look much better on next gen hardware. Pop-ups, glitches and field distance can take you out of the game-world that Rockstar have made, while frame-rate slowdowns can break it.
    The story is what made it for me. The character switch and how they integrate it (not a gimmick) is genius. My only problem was at times the dialogue. I don't mind swearing, in fact I rather enjoy swearing, but holy crepe, can we tone down the expletives? Sometimes they sound like mindless baboons screeching at one another. And it has to be said that much of the dialogue is GTA cliche.
    None of that gets in the way though. The story itself, the heists.... oh man. Cinematic. Just, SO much fun.
    If you like playing gta, you will like this one. You will play for hours. Doing just random stuff. I spent an hour with tennis, just to see how difficult it was to play against the AI.
    The only serious flaw I had with this game is the dis-jointed feel between the story and just messing around. Feels like two different games, where in one it's a tight, tense story driven bonanza, and the other gives you so much freedom you're not sure what to do.
    Anyways, I'll be waiting for multiplayer with baited breath, but for now, I'm off skydiving.

TOR's Score: 7.5
  38. Nov 6, 2013
    A perfect game??? Give me a break. GTA 5 is an ambitious, huge open world, but Rockstar bit off more than they can chew and it shows. Between the half-baked story and obnoxious, frequently unlikable characters it's no wonder gamers sign on to mindlessly run over pedestrians for 2 hours. The writing tries to have social commentary that one game critic calls "sublime" and that it "makes youA perfect game??? Give me a break. GTA 5 is an ambitious, huge open world, but Rockstar bit off more than they can chew and it shows. Between the half-baked story and obnoxious, frequently unlikable characters it's no wonder gamers sign on to mindlessly run over pedestrians for 2 hours. The writing tries to have social commentary that one game critic calls "sublime" and that it "makes you think". But really, it's pseudo-intellectual, politically confused and mean-spirited. Cliché jabs and the US government hardly make you think. Re-wording a business name into a dick joke is hardly "sublime". The jabs at liberals through the Impotent Rage character fall flat because they don't ring true. Comedy has to be rooted in reality to work. The Republican Space Marines jokes are so directionless and rooted in nothing that they're just annoying background noise. You're left to navigate in a tired genre with occasional fresh moments like the bank robberies. The drive-the-car-from-A-to-B missions got old about 5 years ago. The racing missions aren't noteworthy even thought the environments can be pretty. You can try signing on to GTA online and watch your character get randomly sniped and run over while you're simply trying to level and earn money, but it becomes a frustrating and annoying experience. Bizarrely, you're not allowed to steal cars that belong to other gamers. Does anyone see a contradiction there in a game called GRAND THEFT AUTO? You're even penalized for damaging the cars of other players. All of this doesn't even speak to the buggy game mechanics that are unacceptable for a post-beta release.

Rockstar deserves acknowledgement for creating such a large, difficult project, but they also deserve criticism for lack of completion. It was their choice. The underdeveloped story and programming are predictable. That said, where are the real video game critics in all of this? Where is the SERIOUS criticality? Are they too busy counting money that Rockstar bought them off with? It's completely unethical for video game journalists to gloss over the shortcomings of any game. Fanboys will (annoy us with their irrational rah-rah-rah exuberance, but critics owe us authentic assessment. If video games are to be respected as an art it begins with serious, honest criticism, not across the board 10/10s. We ALL deserve better.

There is fun to be had in this game, though it's largely an off-story, masterbatory experience. If you've never or barely played the GTA series you'll probably enjoy the tired missions and game mechanics. If you're a politically confused quasi-libertarian, have mean-spirited tendencies, and think changing facebook's name to "Lifeinvader" is "deep" you'll probably love this game over.
  39. Sep 17, 2013
    First of all, I really liked the game, and I'm not a hater... but I think that getting a 10 is too much for the game overall. The amount of things that you can do is tremendous, but also the amount of bugs. Regarding graphics, they are "good" (for a 256mb console), but I cannot give them a 10 remembering graphics of metro:last light, uncharted 2/3, gears of war: judgement or the last ofFirst of all, I really liked the game, and I'm not a hater... but I think that getting a 10 is too much for the game overall. The amount of things that you can do is tremendous, but also the amount of bugs. Regarding graphics, they are "good" (for a 256mb console), but I cannot give them a 10 remembering graphics of metro:last light, uncharted 2/3, gears of war: judgement or the last of us.

Finally, the IA is not very good, and there is a lot of scripted issues along the game. So that's why I think that a 7/10 is appropriate.
  40. Sep 17, 2013
    Despite the banning of many many accounts for the low marks (not the high ones I notice) this game deserves a solid 7. Not the best graphics you will ever see, not the best strory ever. Frame rate issues and lots of clipping and pop-in!! Woeful voice acting. With all this, a good game, solid and enhances the series. But can anyone contest the issues I have said? If it has theDespite the banning of many many accounts for the low marks (not the high ones I notice) this game deserves a solid 7. Not the best graphics you will ever see, not the best strory ever. Frame rate issues and lots of clipping and pop-in!! Woeful voice acting. With all this, a good game, solid and enhances the series. But can anyone contest the issues I have said? If it has the aforementioned issues how can it possibly be a 10? Make your own minds up as to the honesty of this industry. Expand
  41. Sep 20, 2013
    *IMO* Rockstar focused too much on World design and not enough on game play. The weapons have no feel to them, The next unlocked tier of weapons is clearly better than the last, this coupled with the same mods copy and pasted to each weapon leaves a complete lack of tactical choice. There is a clear lack of diversity in the radio stations with pretty mediocre songs. You are also forced*IMO* Rockstar focused too much on World design and not enough on game play. The weapons have no feel to them, The next unlocked tier of weapons is clearly better than the last, this coupled with the same mods copy and pasted to each weapon leaves a complete lack of tactical choice. There is a clear lack of diversity in the radio stations with pretty mediocre songs. You are also forced into missions without any prep time, possibly leaving you at a disadvantage. I lost a highly customized banshee due to this lack of thought in mission design. However, overall the Classic GTA fun is till there. Expand
  42. Sep 19, 2013
    This game is waaay overrated! The mechanics in this game are sloppy and pathetic! The game is not really entertaining at all. This is likely to turn into a COD game where people just play it for the multiplayer. Franklin is just annoying and a hated character. The driving is bad, and especially the flying is absolutely terrible. You are forced to install the disc 1 of a 8gb installation inThis game is waaay overrated! The mechanics in this game are sloppy and pathetic! The game is not really entertaining at all. This is likely to turn into a COD game where people just play it for the multiplayer. Franklin is just annoying and a hated character. The driving is bad, and especially the flying is absolutely terrible. You are forced to install the disc 1 of a 8gb installation in order to play. (Xbox One is here! THE fuuuuuttuuuureeeee....) *Making fun of Major Nelson*

Yeah, I recommend waiting for the price to drop.
  43. Sep 19, 2013
    Take GTA SA and remove the loveable characters controls and missions the also the areas and add 3 more boring scumbags and a extremely boring world and you got GTA V I have no idea why this game is so praised
  44. Sep 17, 2013
    This game got so much hype before it was released GOTY, Perfect 10, etc... Yes it's better than GTA 4 but with all the features taken away from San Andreas was there anywhere to go but up?
  45. Sep 18, 2013
    This game makes you feel miniscule. There is so much to do and even though you have the option to do it or not...you are left with a feeling of missing out. It's depressing. A game should be enjoyable.

I do appreciate the incredible detail and technology that went into this game to make it possible...but its really just too much. Its more like a Life Simulation than a game and while its enjoyable for the most part: In the long run, it will be depressing to even say you play it.

GTA Online will be interesting to see, but if the single player makes you feel this way... I don't think Online will be any sort of redeeming quality. Sure it will be fun with friends to joke around and maybe role play...but really, its too much and just sad. There is no real pride in saying you play GTAV.

Don't get me wrong! It's fantastically made. There is so much of everything and it's really pushing the limits of what you can do...but really its TOO MUCH. Makes you really miss games that actually were games.
  46. Sep 19, 2013
    At the end of the day it's just the same as always (poor plot and funny open-world freedom) but with plenty plenty new cool features and improved graphics. The thing is that it will happen as with most of GTA games: people won't really end the game or enjoy the story itself. Anyway it is a great game with lots of cool features and possibilities. The best GTA until the date, probably. ButAt the end of the day it's just the same as always (poor plot and funny open-world freedom) but with plenty plenty new cool features and improved graphics. The thing is that it will happen as with most of GTA games: people won't really end the game or enjoy the story itself. Anyway it is a great game with lots of cool features and possibilities. The best GTA until the date, probably. But that doesn't make it a perfect game. Expand
  47. Sep 20, 2013
    Its a good game, but why the hell would rockstar thing i would want to spend a mission doing yoga? Some of its pretty glitchy too (some ladders for example) and the switching between characters can get annoying. The popups in the corner telling me to download the app to teach the dog new tricks are ridiculous.
  48. Sep 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. all in all is another GTA with some improvements in gameplay. But what really annoyed me were the graphics, lame lame lame... more for "the most expensive game". huge turn off in that field. besides that it´s another GTA, I hope someday the game series can change a bit the success formula (drugs, stealth and sex), maybe a new idea would have been a female character in the group of main players.. but hey... can't blame me for dreaming a better game Expand
  49. Sep 21, 2013
    Will give it a better score when they un gimp Chop for any non apple users. Btw it doesnt work on my ipod touch. Hugh spit in the face from Rockstar to all their non apple user fans.
  50. Oct 27, 2013
    This game is good and bad in some ways. The map is very well made and has many areas to explore. The characters are also amazing and are different in millions of ways. I really enjoy the guns, as well as the neat explosions. The graphics are okay, but they should be better. What sucks about it is the missions, and especially online. Most of the missions on single player have no shooting orThis game is good and bad in some ways. The map is very well made and has many areas to explore. The characters are also amazing and are different in millions of ways. I really enjoy the guns, as well as the neat explosions. The graphics are okay, but they should be better. What sucks about it is the missions, and especially online. Most of the missions on single player have no shooting or action and are just plain boring. All you do on gta online is steal cars and deliver them which is a The game is sooo repetitive. It also really doesn't feel like gta. It feels like I'm playing an entirely different game. This game doesn't deserve all around 10's, it's actually not so much of a good game. This game is just as overhyped as heck and it sucks but at the same time its kind of fun. Expand
  51. Oct 29, 2013
    A game that lacks interesting characters or truly engaging story. You mostly follow some psychopaths doing stuff, have "drive from A->B" missions and listen to dialogue that could be from any half assed gangster movie. On the top of that, all female characters are reflections of a, (at least somewhat) misogynistic mind. I wish I loved this game for what it is, but it simply lacks so muchA game that lacks interesting characters or truly engaging story. You mostly follow some psychopaths doing stuff, have "drive from A->B" missions and listen to dialogue that could be from any half assed gangster movie. On the top of that, all female characters are reflections of a, (at least somewhat) misogynistic mind. I wish I loved this game for what it is, but it simply lacks so much of what I want in a modern game. Expand
  52. Jul 15, 2014
    GTA 5 was NOT the best game in the year 2013. Why? Because it was an overhyped AAA-title, that can't raise the bar. With raise the bar i doesn't mean the SUPER MEGA HYPER graphics. It was good marketed (at least in Germany), but in Gameplay it had no innovations. It was the same title like the olders, with a new, in 1,5 hours playable story (but the story was good) and new graphics. ThatGTA 5 was NOT the best game in the year 2013. Why? Because it was an overhyped AAA-title, that can't raise the bar. With raise the bar i doesn't mean the SUPER MEGA HYPER graphics. It was good marketed (at least in Germany), but in Gameplay it had no innovations. It was the same title like the olders, with a new, in 1,5 hours playable story (but the story was good) and new graphics. That is the reason to pay 60€ (in Germany). Well, it had good elements, but no new.

1000000000000/100- IGN

Sorry for translation errors.
  53. Nov 5, 2013
    The game's campaign proved absolutely incredible, but after a simple completion of the campaign we discover there is nothing left to do for fun. unless stocks is your thing... I realize there are 2 other endings, but only one feels complete, the other two come off as very rushed, probably to give the illusion of choice.
    Also, the multiplayer which was initially promising, failed at
    Also, the multiplayer which was initially promising, failed at launch. Rockstar then fixed it, then they broke it again by stripping away the fun by making everything expensive, and making the very few missions you can do that aren't races pay like hell. I guess if you like having to worry about money constantly hindering you on top of griefers and a side of boosting, the multiplayer is for you.
  54. Nov 18, 2013
    After 209 hours of playing this game I've had time to look at the good and the bad. Lets start with the good.

Awesome graphics. So far I've not been stopped in my tracks by more than a couple things that stood out as messed up or odd. Gun work is pretty fun. I've been enjoying the combat quite a bit. It's fast and effective. The cars are awesome. Flight in the game feels really well

The cars are awesome.
    Flight in the game feels really well done for planes, they did it right for the most part. Planes respond well and can do a great many things including some crazy aerobatics if you know what you're doing.
    Helicopters are still a bit jerky making the combat choppers impractical for many situations but they are generally fast and GREAT for rapid escapes.
    A good (if short) story. I've really enjoyed playing through story mode, missions feel fun and crazy meaning. I love how certain characters develop over time even though for other parts it does happen too fast.
    The game definitely has a sense of humor again.
    The city is full of life and feels like it's the sunny summer city it is. It's nice to not have that dark and bland environment with a dark and bland story and a dark and bland populace like Liberty City had.
    Insurance in GTAO. It's so freakin nice to not have to worry about my car exploding and being gone forever. I can always get it back no matter what happens to it.
    There are some seriously fun missions in GTAO. Many are simply kill X and steal Y but they're set up in such a way as to give you near total freedom to do as you please for execution of the mission.
    Lots of easter eggs and references to past games.
    CHEATS! Today not many games come with cheats anymore, even though the selection was notably small compared to past games at least they are there.

Now lets hit the negatives.

The "Bad Sport" system in GTAO. This has got to be the worst implemented punishment system I've seen in a while. It punishes you for destroying people's cars in a game where you are pretty much told to go destroy everything and then throws you into a punishment lobby for days (or weeks) when you blow up other player's cars enough. Worst part is you cannot play with anyone who is not a "bad sport" for however long that time is (1 day, 4 days, 16 days, etc etc etc). This badly breaks bounty hunting and makes it nearly impossible to assist your friends against other players from the air or with anything explosive. It has no place in Freeplay mode when the games insurance system makes it trivial to have your car explode.
    Low detail buildings for long distance are REALLY low detail. If the textures were better for them this wouldn't be all that bad.
    Rockstar seems to be bent on making GTAO a tedious grindfest. They've reduced the payouts on many missions and halved them for repeats (some missions can actually cost more to run than they give), they've cut the replay button from many of them making you call X to get a random mission instead of just letting you replay the ones you like, and EVERYTHING costs an arm and a leg.
    Scuba gear has been cut from GTAO completely as far as I've seen.
    Cops are WAAAY too reactive and effective. You can kill two people ANYWHERE on the map even using suppressed weapons or beating them up and suddenly the police are called and have cruisers withing the minimap range when there were no witnesses. They can ever spawn on top of mountains to find you. Suppressors are nearly worthless because they immediately know exactly where you are. If you escape them they also tend to walk right to you even if they'd have no clue where you went. I've had cops walk single file directly to my hiding place before when I was easily a few hundred feet in the opposite direction of where the last dispatcher report said I was or was going. I've also had them chase me up buildings when they didn't see me go up them several times.
    NPCs will actually call the cops on you for walking in the same direction they are or standing next to them for too long. They will also call the cops on you in places where "Snitches get stitches" would still be a rule.
    The selection of cheats is somewhat small, they're a pain to enter, and all the most fun ones are severely limited. Invincibility only gives 5 minutes of it, spawning helicopters or planes pretty much requires you to be in a big open field, no more sudden planes in traffic.
    No LOCK wanted level cheat. So many things become impossible when the police show up at the drop of a hat.
    No wildlife in GTAO. If you can include peds and cars you should be able to include deer and mountain lions.
    Not enough weapons. I know this is being changed via DLC but still, variety is a great thing.
    Not enough costume type outfits in GTAO. Personally I'd LOVE for such things as a combat uniform and Michael's tactical setup to be added.
    Uniform and notably short max range for all weapons but the snipers, rocket/GL and stun gun.

If they can fix the biggest I'd easily give GTA V a 9-10/10 depending on how well they fixed it.
  55. Nov 20, 2013
    A brilliantly designed map, visually stunning, for the scale of it, but the same problem, for me, as all other GTAs: the world is far too empty. Not enough shops, buy-able properties so on so forth everything with this game is outside. The characters are amazing, in the three protagonists at least, and the story is actually pretty good. A good, solid, fun, exciting, serious storyA brilliantly designed map, visually stunning, for the scale of it, but the same problem, for me, as all other GTAs: the world is far too empty. Not enough shops, buy-able properties so on so forth everything with this game is outside. The characters are amazing, in the three protagonists at least, and the story is actually pretty good. A good, solid, fun, exciting, serious story containing missions bringing out all of these aspects. However, not much has really changed. It's kind of like GTA IV.2, brighter, better looking, but so similar in all other aspects. Expand
  56. Oct 3, 2014
    Writing a review on this feels like writing a review on Minecraft. There probably isn't a lot you don't already know about Grand Theft Auto V that hasn't already been bellowed out from the mouths of overbearing game critics who regard this game in particular as the next bold step forward into the future of gaming. Yet this game isn't exactly free from pop-in problems and not very frequentWriting a review on this feels like writing a review on Minecraft. There probably isn't a lot you don't already know about Grand Theft Auto V that hasn't already been bellowed out from the mouths of overbearing game critics who regard this game in particular as the next bold step forward into the future of gaming. Yet this game isn't exactly free from pop-in problems and not very frequent texture bugs. Its not as though these problems aren't going to be fixed when it gets re-released on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox one and PC. Still the same question remains like the one in The Last of Us; why pay another £50 for a re-furbished and slightly bug fixed version of a game you've already got?

Anyway the game. The gameplay fells adequate enough, but the problem is there are so many things your character can do at any one time. Whether it may be driving a car or plane or just generally walking about, there doesn't seem to be enough buttons on the game controller to fit them all and still be practical and useful enough to actually use them. I imagine this will be fixed for everyone who is anticipating this game for the PC. However the rest of us who are waiting for the game on the remaining consoles will still be stuck with the same controls. Not that this can't be fixed by memorising the controls for vehicle and on foot. Next up the characters. There are three characters you can play as and all posses a different ability and personality. Franklin is the first character you start out with but also seems to be the only one who seems to have had all noticeable traits taken away. Until he's a general straight man who will never say no to someone offering a helicopter ride to immediately parachute from. Or accept an invitation from someone to waste a few in-game months of his life to collect murder notes. Next up is Michael who has retired from bank robbing to spend more time with his family and abuse his kid's privileges. For example about quarter of the way through the game he smashes his son's TV for yelling at it a bit too loudly. Michaels key character motivation is that he is unclear if he is comfortable with the sudden bank heists he's somehow pulled into, and yet seems as equally enthusiastic as everyone else when they actually begin the actual heist. I suppose all that pretty jewellery just got to his head. Finally there's Trevor whose game trailer amusingly barely mentioned him because apparently "The less we say about him, the better." Its said that Trevor is a complete uncontrollable psychopath of the three. A general humorous air surrounds this character by making fun of his "feelings" at his expense and to no-one else. A funny acknowledgement to a mentally damaged man in the complex and cruel world he lives in. The game takes it further by having his partners and friends either be terrified of him or hate his guts or even both. The story is an extremely saving grace because it is very well plotted and given away. Although well-done at points, its sometimes kind of predictable. These tend to mostly be on the side quests which are obviously less important and can be more forgivable for this error in story telling. Having said that, despite our characters committing various and very law-breaking crimes along with their several heists, the authorities don't seem to make any differences to their security. They don't advise the public to be weary of certain people who have been terrorising the city or neighbourhood. In fact the one difference is that a news report comes on a day after your heist and is never mentioned again. I'm aware that this was the least of Rockstar's worries during development, but gameplay and story must weave with each other, not handed to the audience then immediately dropped the second the players attention is diverted to something else.

Grand Theft Auto 5 is definitely recommended if you haven't got it yet, but its fair to assume you've got it and love it and that's fine. Overall I am looking forward to its release on the PS4 and Xbox One and so will you.
  57. May 27, 2014
    I feel there is so much more they could have done with this game. The base of the game is great, but the execution doesn't feel well done.

Pros: Great graphics, for an Xbox 360 Interesting and well written characters Missions are usually different each time and don't get repetitive Heist missions are a good idea Cons: Not enough single player missions (only about 70 missions)

Pros:
    Great graphics, for an Xbox 360
    Interesting and well written characters
    Missions are usually different each time and don't get repetitive
    Heist missions are a good idea

Cons:
    Not enough single player missions (only about 70 missions)
    Side missions are extremely repetitive and have little reward or incentive to do
    Not much to do after beating the game
    Only 3 heist missions, when the trailers for the game said they would be a huge part of the game
    Not much replay value
  58. Sep 7, 2014
    Vice city is still the king of gta. And that's a damn fact.Thats not an opinion it's a fact people.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  59. Oct 29, 2014
    This review is for GTA V and GTA: Online.
    GTA V: Flawless story, incredible open world design, plus a lot still to do when finished the main storyline. 10/10
    This review is for GTA V and GTA: Online.

GTA Online: Massive issues at launch, seemingly better over time, but not great. I for one am sick of Rockstar's lying about heists for 7th gen (360/PS3) consoles. They stated that the heists will be out before the end of Spring 2014. It's now just about to be Winter. They should stop procrastinating on new updates and FOCUS on the heists. 1/10

I feel cheated out of £45 from launch day. If heists aren't coming out for 360/PS3, I see no reason to spend £300-400 on a new console just for them or new content. Not buying another Rockstar game again, as the damage has been done. 6/10
  60. Nov 10, 2013
    I wanted to take my time before I put down words on this game. First of all I want to say I've been waiting for the opportunity to do GTA mission with other players for well over ten years. The game "does" deliver this capability but it feels like minimal effort was put into this aspect of the game. All in all, this online launch feels, at best, half-assed. The impression that I get isI wanted to take my time before I put down words on this game. First of all I want to say I've been waiting for the opportunity to do GTA mission with other players for well over ten years. The game "does" deliver this capability but it feels like minimal effort was put into this aspect of the game. All in all, this online launch feels, at best, half-assed. The impression that I get is that Rockstar is simply using this online release as nothing more than an extended beta-test so they can shake down all the bugs, balance issues and exploits for the Xbox One, PS4 and PC launches down the road.

I've never, in my life experienced something as frustrating as having dozens of hours of online gameplay progress disappear without warning. The deathmatch game modes are, at best, lackluster. The racing is ultimately frustrating and annoying. The mission variety feels repetitive and bland. The versus missions ultimately feel unbalanced and like they lack play-testing.

The world it's self is however, truly magnificent. A true joy to explore and interact with other players in.
  61. Oct 9, 2013
    The Good: Typical GTA in every respect. Some things are better than GTA 4 such as map size. Gameplay mechanics are good. Graphics are decent.

The Bad: The character development processes like tennis and exercising are boring. Degrading to Blacks and Americans in general especially considering it was created by the British. The game really trashes America with terrible stereotypes and is very politically polarizing in every aspect.

What is a hot mess is the Multiplayer. If you can get on you faced data loss that might include your cash, cars, purchases such as weapons and property and even your character itself. Really bad character creation process. Hopefully this will continue to improve as a recent update was released.

Summary: If you bought this for the single player campaign and are a thick skinned GTA fan you may be pleased. There are deftly better games out there such as Saints Row 4, Metro Last Light, Bioshock Infinite and The Walking Dead Telltale Series.

If you buy this for the multiplayer you will need to be patient.

The super positive user reviews are obviously written by GTA fans and employees. I'm sure some real money was invested in the "professional" reviews. This game does not warrant 8 or above especially in light of the multiplayer.
  62. Nov 27, 2013
    Graphics/Sound:
    Graphics/Sound:
    Incredible graphics, without a doubt the best I've seen on the Xbox 360. The setting is beautiful and varied, unlike Liberty City. This game squeezes every last bit of juice out of the dying console generation. It does lack character though. Wish the physics were more realistic, being able to control your car in mid-air and flip it when it's overturned is a bit ridiculous. At times this can seriously detract from the immersion. Sound is flawless though. Great radio stations to chose from and the beautiful explosions are more immersive with the solid sound design.

Story: Not as good as GTA IV, no doubt. Having 3 characters gave the game a messy feel. The story was kind of vague and all over the place. Story threads were explored a tiny bit and then left behind, and some characters weren't convincing at all and seemed very 2D.

Gameplay: Missions often feel like a drag driving from point a to point b, shoot some guys, rinse and repeat, but at least there are checkpoints now. Some missions are fun though. The problem I have with the mission structure is that it's not a sandbox during missions. You can't do things the way you want, and the game feels like a corridor shooter because of this. Outside of missions, the gameplay is solid and you have much more freedom online and messing around by yourself.

Presentation: This game has no specific vibe about it. It tries to be everything and fails at that. The trailers each lended themselves to a different concepts of Los Santos, and this should have come as a warning sign that the game wouldn't be as defined as the all the great games in the world are.

Overall, it's fun. Without multiplayer it would be a complete disappointment. It goes to show that money and an army of programmers won't make you a masterpiece, and that so much of making a great game is a specific direction within great design.
  63. Nov 1, 2013
    I finished the story, played a bit of gta online, but what now? I was expecting a little more from gta online and the main story. The hype was too much for this. The game was fun but it was a bit like the game was throwing money at you and expecting your life to be a challenge.
  64. Oct 6, 2013
    A seriously ambitious and awe inspiring game that, due to unfun design choices and a horrible online debut, fail to come close to its astronomicle potential. There are hundreds of things about this game that bother me, but I'll just get into the ones that I really can't stand. SINGLE PLAYER: there's really only one way to earn decent money, and thats to do heists, but there are only aA seriously ambitious and awe inspiring game that, due to unfun design choices and a horrible online debut, fail to come close to its astronomicle potential. There are hundreds of things about this game that bother me, but I'll just get into the ones that I really can't stand. SINGLE PLAYER: there's really only one way to earn decent money, and thats to do heists, but there are only a handful of them throughout the story. The game boasts so many things to do in Los santos, but there's no real incentive do do any of these things aside from the initial fun they provide. They don't give you much money at all, or any permanent rewards to make your time more fun, or your ability to wreak havock any easier. The only nice bonus you get is a small discount at ammunation for doing the shooting range. Once the story is all finished, there is basically nothing to do besides random homicide. Why did they include such a great dimension to this game with the heists, only to not let you plan them whenever you want after the game is over? They let you recruit all these people for your crew and build their stats by using them more and more, but really, who cares? There's only a handful of heists, it's pointless, and it didn't have to be. They also give you a fun ability to use 3 diffent people, but can they be freely controlled when they're all together? No, that would be too fun. The game is left just feeling really empty and joyless after its all over. For the record though, I had a blast playing through the story. It's well written, funny, and entertaining. It's just too bad rockstar didn't seem to realize how important post-game fun is. They probably skimped on it for multiplayer...MULTIPLAYER: this disaster of an online mode is absolutely unacceptable! The online mode was delayed 2 weeks after the release of the game! That's annoying, but ultimately ok, if all works out well....it didn't. Several days after online launch and the game is still having issues loading properly, sticking at loading screens, and not saving players progress properly. That's pretty aweful when they attemp to charge people REAL money for in game currency. Rockstar, you don't deserve another dime. I bought this game full price. I expect you to allow me to enjoy the game I bought, free of arbitrary speed bumps. Earning money is a huge chore. Players can easily swamp you and kill you over and over, quickly draining your cash, whether you deposit it in the bank or not. You can play passively, but you won't be able to use weapons or fight any pedestrians, which means many features of the game are disabled. Also, players can still kill you by running you over, and shoot you if your in a car.. Meaning, passive mode is boring and stupid. It leaves you to only do missions to make money and still vulnerable, yet totally defenseless. So youre stuck between EXTREME danger and risk, or BORING "safety", no middleground. Playing missions is also tedious if you aren't in a free roam with a ton of friends. In lobbies, the only people that can join you are the other 15 people in your free roam. There IS an option to bring in other people worldwide, but I've NEVER gotten anyone to join from that. Must be broken. So there are millions of people with this game, and I'm usually stuck doing missions ALONE in multiplayer. Pointless. Also, if your connection cuts out at any time, you lose your progress, too bad. Online mode CAN be a tremendous blast with lots of friends, but at this time, almost three weeks after the game was released, the game is seriously broken. Expand
  65. Nov 4, 2013
    Make no mistake GTA 5 is a good game and yes it is superior to GTA 4 in every way but GTA 4 is hardly the yardstick of a great game.

With GTA 5 I personally feel the 8.0 current user score is more realistic than the 97 lavished on the game by critics. It seems to me a lot of people judged GTA 5 based solely against GTA 4 and forgot some of the truly great games we’ve had in the last 5 years.

Don't get me wrong, GTA 5 certainly has it’s moments but in all honesty I never got the same wow factor as I did playing GTA San Andreas and I think this is my main problem with the GTA/GTA like open world games. They just haven’t really evolved or done anything to give me that same wow factor I got 11 years ago in The Grove.

So in summary GTA 5 is as good as it gets within the current limitation of open worlders, however I still feel there is something missing. Next time I will gladly sacrifice the overall size, for something truly innovative, and interactive.
  66. Oct 9, 2013
    I can't believe I'm actually bored with a GTA game. It's a beautiful game, but so impersonal. So many places to go, but little interaction with the AI citizens of Los Santos. Driving around is fun, but gets old. GTA combat now feels outdated, and after just finishing Splinter Cell Blacklist (I'm not comparing the games themselves) the combat mechanics seem clumsy and restrictive. TheI can't believe I'm actually bored with a GTA game. It's a beautiful game, but so impersonal. So many places to go, but little interaction with the AI citizens of Los Santos. Driving around is fun, but gets old. GTA combat now feels outdated, and after just finishing Splinter Cell Blacklist (I'm not comparing the games themselves) the combat mechanics seem clumsy and restrictive. The main story line was ok. I did enjoy switching around between the 3 guys-- and Trevor is hilarious. Ah, how I loved this franchise, but now, yawn. Expand
  67. Oct 6, 2013
    I'd rate this higher if there wasn't critical functionality that you have to have some mobile device to utilize. And then that functionality is only available on iPhone. Utterly epic failure.
  68. Aug 25, 2014
    The game feels really short, maybe unfinished.

The game feels really short, maybe unfinished.

There's no good way to save your cars. You can put them into a garage, but if you take one out and drive it to a mission, good luck finding it again after the mission is done. This pretty stupid especially considering you can spend A LOT of money upgrading a car, only to have it disappear because you assumed the game would do something logical, like preserve the car while doing missions or put it back in your garage if you leave it somewhere.

Speaking of money, it's handled terribly. Unlike other GTA games, money DOES have value (there are worthwhile things to spend it on), but the amount of money you have never makes sense. You start the game with next to no money; you can't afford to really buy guns, cars, or even a cool suit. Then you keep doing missions and not getting paid for them, which is incredibly frustrating. So ok, maybe this is the kind of game where money is really scarce. NOPE! after your first heist you are handed a ludicrous amount of money and can pretty much purchase whatever you want. There's no strategic thinking or saving up for a cool item. Money instantly goes from "I wish I had some but I don't have any" to "I have more than I could ever spend". You COULD actually drop a good load of cash on a fancy car or plane, but it will most likely explode or get lost somehow and your cash will be wasted.

Speaking of heists now, it starts off good but becomes disappointing quickly. The first heist is really interactive, different ways to approach the situation, the choice for your crew members really matter, you could to case the joint and everything. And there's a big cash reward (probably too big).
    But that's pretty much the only real heist there is. The rest are basically just plot missions. Leveling up crew members which was expected to be important from the precedent and the tutorial of the first mission pretty much doesn't matter at all past the first heist. Also there are only like two extra crew members you can ever get in the first place and you get them from easily missed random events.

The map is huge and is more than just a city, which is pretty cool, but it's pretty useless. There's nothing to find. No collectibles, easter eggs, not really any hidden missions. There's a tiny bit of wildlife but it doesn't really serve a purpose. Most of the missions will take place in the city or Trevor's town. The rest might as well not exist.

The game is SHORT for a GTA game. It honestly feels like it's not finished. You should be familiar with the typical GTA formula: you meed a job provider, you do some missions, and then end up screwing up or something and killing them as their last mission. In this game, there are very few of these types of characters. It's pretty disappointing because those types of characters are usually the most interesting people in GTA games. There's one case where you meet this kind of mission giving character and literally the second mission is where someone screws up and then you have to kill the mission giver. Where's all the missions in between?

This also goes for side quests. There are a few mission giving side characters, but there's (as previously mentioned) no cash reward. And they all end very anti-climatically. Literally the end of one of the quest lines is "aren't you going to pay me?", "no, go away". And that's it. You can shoot the guy if you want but...

What actually IS in the game is done pretty well. The story, shooting, driving mechanics, characters, are all great. Length, number of interesting side characters, car storing mechanics, side quests, mini games, are pretty terrible.
  69. Oct 19, 2013
    This game was amazing when I first played it. Everything about it was fun, and the scenery was amazing. The story was well thought out and I absolutely loved the heists. But after I beat the game, I felt very limited. I now always think of places to go instead of finding places as I go around on my journey. This game was fun until I beat the story. You probably do not know what I amThis game was amazing when I first played it. Everything about it was fun, and the scenery was amazing. The story was well thought out and I absolutely loved the heists. But after I beat the game, I felt very limited. I now always think of places to go instead of finding places as I go around on my journey. This game was fun until I beat the story. You probably do not know what I am talking about, but do everything you can before beating the story. Expand
  70. Jan 1, 2014
    Well to start off GTA V is a great game, there is no argument. Although I do feel uneasy about it sometimes. GTA V's single player has been completely revamped to include 3 different protagonist which I dislike. The single player was not as hard hitting or well written like the other GTA's. I feel like the 3 protagonist took away from a usually great, lengthily, and well written singleWell to start off GTA V is a great game, there is no argument. Although I do feel uneasy about it sometimes. GTA V's single player has been completely revamped to include 3 different protagonist which I dislike. The single player was not as hard hitting or well written like the other GTA's. I feel like the 3 protagonist took away from a usually great, lengthily, and well written single player. I't just doesn't come to par with the other games like Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV. I'm a sucker for a good written single player experience but rockstar didn't deliver this time. I felt very disconnected from the characters unable to create any relationship during all the switching. Very short experience for both the 3 characters and I was very upset that I didn't get to spend more time with all of them. GTA V's gameplay is top notch and the best yet, but needless to say the single player is what impacts me and frankly It didn't rub off on me like GTA IV. I will still play but I constantly try to make myself like the game but I just can't. I have to say what nobody would but for me at least, GTA IV and San Andreas were better. Expand
  71. Ed_
    Oct 30, 2013
    The game is fantastic!

The game is fantastic!

RockstarGames believed that multiple characters will give the game a new feeling; for me, first, this feeling was shallow and disturbing: I couldn't get to know the characters good enough, get close to them or understand their feelings, it was too fast for 3 characters. However after the second gameplay I realized how enjoyable the game was with the two main characters (Michael and Trevor).
    You have to play mainly one character, it helped me a lot to understand their inner problems and feelings:
    1. Michael who only want to be with his family and live his peaceful life with a job.
    2. Trevor who is always used by people and because of that he behaves insane. Yeah, I did empathize with Trevor! LOL
    3. Franklin who wants to break out of his every day life and instead of being a small gangster or car robber
    I did empathize with Trevor! LOL

Michael's character is the best, he has a background story; we can sympathize with him, with his decisions; he has sth to fight for (family) and his family members are funny, give the game some kind of continuity. We can feel they are struggling with a father, and the father who struggles with his life, family and past. His character and family are a great mix of happiness, depression, fun, coping and feelings.

Trevor is the anti-society person because he was cheated and outlooked too many times in the past. He couldn't follow the rules and restrictions of this 'fabricated world', so he decides to live in the desert without feelings. He doesn't want anybody to get close to him because by those who he had a relation with would only cause him sadness, disappointment and frustration. He is a very dividing personality but I saw the good side of him.

The game is 10/10. Driving mechanics, graphics and smooth gameplay are all adding to the game's experience, but I would still be happier with only one character.
  72. Dec 25, 2013
    I'd say GTA V is the most over-rated game of 2013. Yeah, the map is big, graphics are good for a GTA game, lots of thing to do, excellent (not) online and so on. But it's a GTA guys. It feels like one, and does the same mistakes every GTA does (and even more of new ones). It's a good GTA game. That's it. Falls short.
  73. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Plz try to resolve this problem

I was playing Gta v online and it is awesome but then suddenly it started saying stuff like it would not save and stuff so I turned off my xbox and turned it back on again and as I chose to go online it took me to the character select and as I went to choose my character it wasn't there and I have tried all different things to try and get it back but it won't come back .

Plz try to fix this
  74. Oct 8, 2013
    This game it`s the same to other GTA, kill, Steal any car, go to anyware..... the graphics its better, but it the same.............I don`t know how the people says "this is, the game of the generation" this game is good, like 8, not 10, or perfect.
  75. Oct 18, 2013
    I wish they had tested the game before release and fixed everything that they raped GTA IV for, Physics (crash off of a bike going 200 and land two feet in front of it), Health (trip over a curb and break you neck) Somethings gotta give with the cops either have us be tougher or have them not have flawless accuracy and redeculously sensative wanted system I help them catch a guy they areI wish they had tested the game before release and fixed everything that they raped GTA IV for, Physics (crash off of a bike going 200 and land two feet in front of it), Health (trip over a curb and break you neck) Somethings gotta give with the cops either have us be tougher or have them not have flawless accuracy and redeculously sensative wanted system I help them catch a guy they are already chasing and they don't even want him anymore they kill me. So often I'm just trying to get somewhere and suddenly i have stars and im dead and I don't even realize what happened one star and they act like I shot the president GTA cops are supposed to be incompetent fools that are crazy and ruthless but these are super cops crash into any other whip and destroy it and kill the driver instantly crash into a cop and they take no damage they and their whips are damn near indestructible yet if you even bump into a guard rail your one tire will cripple you. Cars explode easier than unstable nitro if you get em more than ten feet off the ground and yet in simple crashes your fender doesn't even dent. You can't rob stores properly, can't customize vehicle properly, purchasing anything in the game is pointless because of glitches and bugs and I feel like they aren't even bugs it's how they intended the game to be... lame as which is soo unfortunate because they did progress a lot from IV but they digressed in some of the most detrimental areas took away the heart of what makes GTA games... replay value what do I do when I'm sick of GTA V's immaturity but go back to IV and have some real fun Expand
  76. Nov 14, 2013
    If it were a racing game I'd score it 1 out of 10. If it were a third person shooter I'd score it 3 out of 10. But it's a sand box, and it's overall well done. The racing and shooting by genre standards are brutal and at times down right irritating. Several missions and mini games were frustrating wastes of time, provoking inner rage deep within me. The graphics are as well done asIf it were a racing game I'd score it 1 out of 10. If it were a third person shooter I'd score it 3 out of 10. But it's a sand box, and it's overall well done. The racing and shooting by genre standards are brutal and at times down right irritating. Several missions and mini games were frustrating wastes of time, provoking inner rage deep within me. The graphics are as well done as they can be, but cut scenes are nothing to drool over. The story is bizarre and all around stupid, juvenile, and ridiculous. If you have any life at all, it will be 24+ hours you wish you could take back. Do not buy! Expand
  77. Nov 23, 2013
    The Single player was awesome. the sounds/animations/feel/abilities/and character dialog made me feel really there. was this game as great as San Andreas in its day? i don't think so, but. Its amazing and worth a buy. However, the multilayer has great potential and possibilities. unfortunately the way online is ran is almost made to anger or restrict gamers in their fun. money online isThe Single player was awesome. the sounds/animations/feel/abilities/and character dialog made me feel really there. was this game as great as San Andreas in its day? i don't think so, but. Its amazing and worth a buy. However, the multilayer has great potential and possibilities. unfortunately the way online is ran is almost made to anger or restrict gamers in their fun. money online is "nickle and dimed" against the player all the time, much has improved over time. but even now Heists have not been released despise the constant promises meanwhile the beach bum pack is released. the online is still very much fun with friends when screwing around or doing missions. unfortunately, if your by yourself the game online quickly becomes stale and unchanging. cars/planes/military hardware youll never be able to afford unless you do glitches (which will get you banned now/Reset) GTA campaign in my rating would be a 7, unfortunately online contains just too many constrictions to the player and is almost against the gamer and i rate online a 4/10 so all together I rate this game a 6/10. level headed review, and id say pretty honest. Gta has an awesome campaign and potential multilayer. but maybe the online will get better, just not now. Expand
  78. Nov 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, so people will disagree vocally, but I feel they will partly do so because they can't accept it is mostly true.

I can't sit and name all good and bad points, because this game is so diverse and has so many different features it. However I'm going to write this review as my points come, so it may well be very unorganized.

First part being, this game was over-hyped. Please don't confuse that with over-rated (which ironically I feel it was a little of that too, but that isn't relevant). This game received so much hype before it even came out that I knew before I got it, it would not lead up to that. So it was off on a bad foot from the off.

Considering I didn't enjoy GTA IV and never got round to finishing it, I found it that boring. However, coming from RDR to GTA V, I had high expectations for the storyline. And to say I was disappointed was an understatement. The campaign really didn't have much of a story. I mean, two of the three characters had an underlying secret which you find out the answer to near the very beginning of the game, yet this is being dragged throughout the entire game as one of the key turning points. The ending was absolutely abysmal, and I am referring to it being multiple choice. If you were to go by Franklin's personality, who comes across as loyal and hard working, always earning his keep. There is no way that the first two choices would exist and they were two of the laziest endings I've ever seen. As for the "true" ending. Honestly, for the "story" of the game, the missions and all things related to the Story itself, I'd rate it about 5.5/10. I honestly enjoyed the Call of Duty ghosts campaign more. And I haven't like that since the first Modern Warfare.

Now to move onto the gameplay aspect. Well, this is where the game is totally redeemed. The first GTA game to finally utilize the weapon wheel as out-dated as that feature is, was an incredible edition adding to the seamless flowing gameplay this one seems to have. No more shuffling through all my weapons to find the right one.

The control scheme is exactly as I wanted it to be. However it is incredibly infuriating that there was no "crouch" feature. Something key in this game I felt. Especially since there was a new "stealth mode" that replaced crouching to a more, "hunching" stance but leaves you just as open to enemy fire as possible.

Cover system worked great, not much else to say on it other than it works well.

Now for the biggest issue of the game. The map size. Yes, the map is massive, as big as GTA IV and RDR put together and more. BUT that was redundant by the fact that nearly 66% of the map was. well, nothing. Grass, mountains, hills, sand. Now I wouldn't find that a problem if there were entertaining enough activities sprawled across the vast nothing. But there wasn't. However like I said, the big map was impressive and does provide some nice scenery, but I'm not sight seeing. I want to blow stuff up.
    Rating of Map content wise 6/10
    Rating of Map for visual appeal 8/10

GTA Online, well, Online was a part that many didn't get to experience for the first week AFTER the release of Online due to a high amount of bugs, crashes and glitches such as resetting of character, failing to complete the first tutorial mission due to a repeating crash issue. However it is now nearly December and most of these bugs have been fixed. But there has been no major addition to Multiplayer, which was supposed to be the best part of the game. And it has really disappointed. The activities are forgettable, play them once for the sake of trying to play it. And GTA Online has the worst community in existence. Overall Rating of Content Online 6/10.

To be honest, overall GTA is a good game, not great, and omst certainly worth purchasing for the minority who haven't already. But don't expect anything mind blowing.

GTA Overall 7/10
  79. Dec 1, 2013
    After excitement has waned and players moved on to other games and systems, what is left is a multiplayer experience that lacks depth, fails to meet expectations (created by the publisher and gamers alike) and feels like the only reason to get online is to grime the streets of Los Santos. Has this game compelled me want to keep playing it pass its two months released date? No. Look, itsAfter excitement has waned and players moved on to other games and systems, what is left is a multiplayer experience that lacks depth, fails to meet expectations (created by the publisher and gamers alike) and feels like the only reason to get online is to grime the streets of Los Santos. Has this game compelled me want to keep playing it pass its two months released date? No. Look, its really a great looking game, but like I said, once the excitement has waned, your eyes start wondering.
    For starters, the framerate issues and objects pop in and out happen too often to ignore. Second, in single player mode, Los Santos is a sprawling city with traffic and lots of stuff happening around, but in multiplayer mode, there are countless times when Im driving around and the streets are empty. There just isn't anything going on. Aside from that, much of the multiplayer "missions" or "jobs" are too redundant, pick up this car, escape, and turn it in. Done.The problem is 2 fold. These missions are not in session missions, with the exception of a few like gang attacks, or Simeon request car, meaning that the vast majority of the missions happen away from whats everybody else in session is doing, like in a vacuum. Second, aside from money and reputation points, there isn't a need to do them. Not to mention the inconsistency when in a mission, one is being chased by NPCs and all the sudden the NPCs just disappears. Its not challenging and or rewarding. Speaking of rewards, rewards seem uneven, because there are some jobs that are harder than others, but have a smaller pay out than those that are easier. How does that add up?
    So, multiplayer is not a consistent experience and it ironically rewards players that do jobs SOLO and don't cause too much trouble to others. Single player GTA prouds itself with being a violently over the top game. But for multiplayer, well, for example, why is it that I get penalize when I destroy somebody else's car? Huh? Isn't that the point for playing GTA? Also, why would anybody be kicked out of the session for being a "bad sport"? Isn't a "bad sport" the reason to play GTA? I think those people that go out of their way to hunt people down and destroy their cars should be awarded, not penalize by taking money away. Speaking of money, does it really matter if you have cash on you or in your bank account?

Lastly, oh yeah, so what happened to those multiplayer heist missions again?
  80. Dec 4, 2013
    I'll keep it brief, it's alright. The graphics are 'ok' for console standards but the lack of AA makes it painful on the eyes at times. The game world feels much more vibrant and detailed than any other previous GTA title.

However it feels like they've tried to put a bit of everything in which costed in level of detail. The Stock market for example is awful and basically only comes useful at the very end of the game. The purchasing of businesses is absolutely pointless as your character will only really come into the money at the very end of the game. On top of that they only provide you with pitiful rewards for scrap, taxi drop offs etc and no really incentive to bother at all.

The map size is great but the game missions don't really utilise its full potential and you see complex areas completely worthless for the main storyline. The outdoor theater/arena and Prison are just two of the easiest to name, along with the power plant.

The missions are typical GTA missions, features/vehicles you'll see used once and never again but they're all pretty much putting the player on a set of rails to follow. Many of the missions simply turn into kill the continuous waves of npcs for a while until you're told what else to do.

Vehicle control is fairly well done, although I don't understand the bizarre reason to model aircraft in the way they did. Maxing out ones flight skill still results in your character randomly whacking the rudder/ailerons about for no apparent reason, I don't know if this is a poor attempt at modeling turbulence or not.

Shooting is 'meh' at best, simple auto aim feature with a switch target that barely works when required. On top of that you can no longer shoot properly on a drive by, you can only aim when you are already firing which makes using low ammo count Uzi's utterly frustrating. Its entirely a guess to where your reticle will appear and by then you've already fired 33% of your clip.

The replay value for me personally is next to non existent, the storyline was ok but the fact is earning money was pointless. I couldn't invest it in cars due to the fact they were not saving properly and as far as I'm concerned it still isn't fixed. It was easier to just simply keep using the stock vehicle each character has. No need to buy weapons unless strictly told to do so because they were constantly supplied in missions or through killing npcs in said missions.

I think the disappointed came with how overly hyped this game really was, the expectations were set so high but from the moment I started playing I didn't really much joy from the game or feel immersed at any point. In 10 years time when someone asks me about GTA I will always quote San Adreas as the best experience.

Personally I don't understand how the game critics could give it such a high score considering it was plagued with issues like disappearing cars and some game breaking mission bugs. Other issues consist of the dreaded repeating cars, turn way for one moment and when you look back you'll see 30 SUVs all the same parked up next to you. If that wasn't bad enough, how about turning away only to find the vehicle your back is pressed up against disappears when you look back.

I think there has been some seriously lazy game journalism involving GTAV as I really can't ever see this game justifying any where near this high of a score. Perhaps people were too afraid of disagreeing with their rivals?
  81. Dec 10, 2013
    this game is a pretty ok game the graphics are a 10/10 and the customizable options are the best there are a lot of flaws that makes this game boring right away. the story doesnt feel like normal GTA games the story was kind of crap it was mainly about making money unlike other gta games where they protaganist is usually trying to find someone for revenge. the missions are stupid they arethis game is a pretty ok game the graphics are a 10/10 and the customizable options are the best there are a lot of flaws that makes this game boring right away. the story doesnt feel like normal GTA games the story was kind of crap it was mainly about making money unlike other gta games where they protaganist is usually trying to find someone for revenge. the missions are stupid they are all about robbin banks or places there is no different missions except for a couple. they shouldve made this another game starting a different series bcuz this is hardly gta. the fact that there is 3 different protaginists is a new concept and it didnt work they should never think about doin this again no gta character has ever had a family thefa tthat michael does is dumb. u canthave girlfrends in this came why is a good feature they removed they also removed the option to buy safehouses each character has only 1 except trevor. your charaters change clothes every time u switch to another one which pisses me off that i have to go to my only one safehouse that is far away just to change some clothes that look cool bcuz when evrr theychange clothes on their own it always crappy clothes for example michael always spawns with flip flops Who the f*** wheres flip flops and trevor spawns naked or with a dress yes a f****** dress which is freakin gay as hell. this game was a big disappointment not whAt i expected its pretty fun to play but after u beat it u dont even feel like Playin anymore. and u can get up to $365,000,000.00 per character but there is no point bcuz u cant do with it. the only good thing is the graphics and the variety of cars, clothes, car mods, and guns thats it. Expand
  82. Dec 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've played GTA 5 and I also can not give it a perfect score. For graphics it is amazing and I'd give it a perfect score and there is a lot of things you can do and see. The reason I can not say this is the best game or give it a perfect score as the reasoning follows. The story is weak and at times, pointless and sent on wild goose chases for no reason and no pay off other than shooting and driving fast. The stock market really has no reason to be up unless its being used briefly in the story. Why have things for sale for 30 million or 150 million when there is really no way to make any money to that magnitude If your not playing the story or the side missions, it just becomes boring. In some ways the game was done sloppy as minor things were over looked. For example what is the purpose to have silencers on weapons when it makes no difference on reactions with cops It seems that their were some really good ideas to create this game, but for some reason ideas were not completed. Another example, why is it you can buy parachutes but not scuba gear and you probably use scuba gear as much or more than parachutes Perhaps having the ability to create heists and enter more buildings and make money that is equal to the expenses When the game has things costing up to 150million and on a good day the most you can make robbing a armored car is 5k that gets boring real quick Why does it speak about how fast a car can go but you can't see your MPH That kinda makes car information pointless ..
    Again, it seems really good ideas were thought to create this game but not completed .

- IF- awesome graphics was the only thing I look for in a game, then I would say this is a perfect game.
    After owning this game 14 days and completing the story, I'm burned out and looking to sell the game.
    I'm huge fan of free roaming games, but this not Red Dead Redemption or Sky Rim by far and disappointed
  83. Dec 22, 2013
    Familiar with the GTA series? Then you sort of know what to expect quite frankly; this installment of the popular series doesn't exactly put anything astronomically new on the table. Generally it's a fun game, strengths and weaknesses that have been seen in prior productions, but what really bums me out and lowers the score quite a bit is the online portion. The game's called Grand TheftFamiliar with the GTA series? Then you sort of know what to expect quite frankly; this installment of the popular series doesn't exactly put anything astronomically new on the table. Generally it's a fun game, strengths and weaknesses that have been seen in prior productions, but what really bums me out and lowers the score quite a bit is the online portion. The game's called Grand Theft Auto for christ's sake, with guns and drugs and stolen cars and prostitutes galore, and yet it's become saddled with this "Bad Sport" system. In a nutshell, this pain in the ass addition punishes players for behavior seen as misconduct i.e. blowing up cars/running into people/etc.) by throwing them into a lobby separate from the main server, where gameplay is limited. It's like some slap on the wrist to try and hinder the 9 year olds and frustrate the hell out of older players with its redundancy. Worst part of it is that you don't even have to be the one initiating the 'trouble' for example, I've found myself wearing the Dunce cap when other online players run into my car (and ultimately blowing up their own cars) on purpose which somehow in turn pins the blame on my player and sends him hurtling into the void which is the Bad Sport lobby. Perhaps a more fundamental problem to it all is the damn cloud server. My character's been deleted several times thanks to the game failing to connect properly. All of my gripes are of course irrelevant to gamers who have no interest in the online portion of the game have at it, the rest of it works more or less alright. I know, it's just a game, but jeez louise; I dunno if it was worth the money considering how much time has been spent in frustration over this particular title. Expand
  84. Jan 17, 2014
    I like the story mode of this game, pretty fun. Trevor was definitely one of the more memorable characters. The online game play was pretty dull. Got bored with it after about a week of gaming. Entertaining but have played much better games.
  85. Feb 17, 2014
    Grand theft Auto 5 is the latest instant hit from rock star. Following the adventures of 3 protagonists and their quest for money, well not really. Franklin and Trevor are after money, Micheal simply wants the FBI to leave him alone so he can live in peace with his family. Needless to say the games main plot is really only about Micheal while Trevor and Franklin are just along for theGrand theft Auto 5 is the latest instant hit from rock star. Following the adventures of 3 protagonists and their quest for money, well not really. Franklin and Trevor are after money, Micheal simply wants the FBI to leave him alone so he can live in peace with his family. Needless to say the games main plot is really only about Micheal while Trevor and Franklin are just along for the ride. Though I will not fail to mention that the story would not be anywhere near as good without them. It is no secret who the actual main character is. To the point of making the 3 character thing nothing more than a gimmick.
    Which is all it is. Which is unfortunate because aside from the countless additional mini games and sillier missions. Is the only difference between this and GTA 4.
    The combat is still atrocious and repetitive, aside from the better level design. And the vehicles still control more-or-less the same. It would be a waste of time to even talk about it further.

The only positive improvement is the increased world map. Which was the main draw of this game for me. So ultimately the game still ends up in the green, the world is enormous with a lot of variety things to find and places to explore. The story is around the same level of quality as 4's was. It really isn't any better and it really isn't any worse, my biggest complaint has already been addressed. Besides that the dialogue and characters are all very well rounded and written.

The only real downside is the plane missions. Which only rarely happen. But when they do they are one of the most frustrating experiences I have ever had. Taking off is easy, and you are quickly thrust headlong into the sky. Since there is nothing in the air, the game either does 2 things to give you some obstacle. Require you to stay low to the ground, or just through random gusts of wind at you and force you to readjust.
    Then you have to land... This is the hardest part of the game by far, and most plane missions require that you do it. Failing will set you back a long ways and force you to fly all the way through again. Even though it is normal checkpoint length it feels at least twice as long due to how boring and tedious the actual flying is.
    But again, this only happens rarely and is easily forgivable. It is just difficult to have to play through and not complain about a little bit.

Ultimately the verdict is that this is basically the same game as GTA 4, and offers very little new. Buy it if your interested. if not, don't bother you already know what you are getting.
  86. Mar 3, 2014
    Seemed very linear compared to previous games in the series. Only one or two missions to be completed at a time and not very interesting stories outside of the main plot.
  87. Apr 16, 2014
    A very fair GTA game I suppose, but it suffers pretty roughly from boring car diversity, pretty meh characters and lots of missed opportunities.

Boring car diversity: Well you got a zillion different vehicles and especially cars, who almost all drive the same. THE EXACT SAME, save a few tweaks. Yes of course some are faster and some are not, but it seems that the complaint about GTA IV's superior driving physics being "boohoohoo too difficult" really got the Rockstar marketing in a tizzy because we get here dumbed down, almost simplistic car controls that indeed allow for good driving, but also kill any and all car diversity because for the sake of simplicity they all drive pretty much the same!
    That means that finding a Banshee, Infernus(or equivalent) doesn't have nearly the value that it had in older games. You just take any random fast car and you're good, no need to learn them all, they all drive the same! This is a perfect example of a lost opportunity too, because I bet the designers at Rockstar spent hell of a time making all these nice, beautiful, and well-crafted cars(not being ironic here), just so we could kill any random driver from any car that looks expensive, steal it, and never even care what the car's name or driving value was.

Characters, Michael, Trevor and Franklin.
    Now I like the three of them enough. I just realise that they're kinda showing how Rockstar couldn't make one good character with a complex personality, so they split the protagonist in three, each representing one side. This doesn't feel completely like that, it's more a blurry feeling than anything, but it does feel like that a bit.
    Michael is probably the most protagonist of them all, since he's the only one with a real noteworthy arc. He's a retired criminal who got filthy rich and lives a boring life with a family he can't hold together. Pretty cool, and he is memorable and charismatic enough, but that's it. No really great wit, he whines a lot(actually a ton of people in this game whines a lot), he's almost never fun or enjoyable, he may be charismatic but that's all it is. Sometimes he has badass moments but they're the exception. Still my favorite of the three.
    Trevor: Just insane. In good and bad. Yes he can be fun. Yes he can be really annoying with having a head like a coconut. But mostly, he's just insane. Which is fine and dandy but doesn't make one a character. More than that, he doesn't have any sort of story or arc. He's the same at the end of the game as he is at the start.
    Franklin: Mr Pushover. He whines all the time, always gets stuck in stupidly bad situations by his best friend Lamar or by someone else, and he seems to always, no matter what, thoughtlessly, roll with it. Doesn't care to anger an entire crime syndicate, he just does the job even if he has no personal reason to. His personality ranges from "I'm tired of all the **** I go through" to "ok let's do this super dangerous thing I have no real personal reason to do". He'd come off as outright stupid if his main motivation wasn't wanting to get rich to impress the girl he loves. Franklin still is alright, but just having a guy that wants to get money and goes into any dangerous job for it, is way too easy a character. However to really explain him I have to talk about the side characters.

For Franklin, the side character is Lamar. Lamar is a stupid assh*le who keeps doing the dumbest things, then gets saved by Franklin, then spits on Franklin for doing things better than him and getting richer, always complaining that F is a "lucky guy" even though F worked his way up and keeps getting in **** to save Lamar...
    For Trevor, all the side characters are idiots or weaklings, and I guess this is where a lot of the comic relief is supposed to come from, but...no. None of them are that funny and they get old or annoying really fast.
    For Michael you've got his family. Washed-out fat lowlife for a son, slutty attention whore for the daughter, cheating and agressive wife. Of course in the end you're supposed to patch up Michael with his family and I could go with it, but the fact is that I want to kill the son and possibly all of them more than I want to patch them up.
    Needless to say, considering that every arc from every character is related at least a bit to their side characters, almost every story/arc pretty much loses all interest extremely quickly. I should also point out that the writing is sub-par to the rest of the series.

And for missed opportunities: You have heist mission-making capabilities and almost no heists to make. You have tons of sidequests, none of them using the basic gameplay and they're all gimmicky and kinda useless. You have three protagonists, but can only play one at a time and hope the AI does its job rest of the time. You have this huge city and tons of it are useless, the "too much room because Realism but nothing fun to do in it" problem we've had since the Gamecube era.

I could go on but I made my point already.
  88. May 6, 2014
    So I've never really been a GTA fan in the past, so this one has some bias... But after playing this, I definitely enjoyed it more than the other experiences I had with older versions of the series. I still don't really enjoy this kind of genre in gaming, but despite that, this game did surprise me. Even though I'm not a fan of these kind of games, I actually had a fun time playing it dueSo I've never really been a GTA fan in the past, so this one has some bias... But after playing this, I definitely enjoyed it more than the other experiences I had with older versions of the series. I still don't really enjoy this kind of genre in gaming, but despite that, this game did surprise me. Even though I'm not a fan of these kind of games, I actually had a fun time playing it due to its atmosphere, graphics, story, and more. Even though I'm giving this a "so-and-so" score, its just because I'm actually not a fan, but this game was definitely the finest out of the GTA series. Expand
  89. Sep 9, 2014
    I dont like it. There is just nothing about it that makes me want to play it. IV, SA and VC had that special something. That atmosphere. IV lacked it, but it was still a great game. But this? They threw the fun car physics from IV away and made all suspensions out of stone or something. Combat. Ohh im boiling right now. It's like under water. if you fall down you just lay there for aI dont like it. There is just nothing about it that makes me want to play it. IV, SA and VC had that special something. That atmosphere. IV lacked it, but it was still a great game. But this? They threw the fun car physics from IV away and made all suspensions out of stone or something. Combat. Ohh im boiling right now. It's like under water. if you fall down you just lay there for a couple of seconds and then slooooooowwwwlllyyy start to get up. Now the good: Music is decent. Better than IV anyways. Includes Online so that's something new even though it gets boring 30 mins in. Car mods. Great. Expand
  90. Oct 17, 2014
    So many idiots give this pile of crap a 10. All cars are invincible, Cops all have super powers, and their squad cars can keep up with Bugatti's. The stroymode, terrible. Why did they make you work for the government for the entire game? I want to work for the mob and rob banks, Not work for the FIB all game. I hate the characters, There is no mention of ANY previous character from SanSo many idiots give this pile of crap a 10. All cars are invincible, Cops all have super powers, and their squad cars can keep up with Bugatti's. The stroymode, terrible. Why did they make you work for the government for the entire game? I want to work for the mob and rob banks, Not work for the FIB all game. I hate the characters, There is no mention of ANY previous character from San andreas, excluding Lazlow who is in every single GTA, and really needs to be removed. The graphics make San andreas look as if everything in the universe has been polished and waxed. This game isn't even a fun sandbox. Expand
  91. Oct 27, 2014
    Grand Theft Auto V was well over hyped which led to its somewhat downfall of what it could have been. The graphics are nice and the driving is improved but by the end of the game i wanted more. And by the time Multi-player came out i knew i had bit of more than i could chew and had to swallow it however painful it was. 6/10 Single player: Great, Multi-player: A never ending joy ride ofGrand Theft Auto V was well over hyped which led to its somewhat downfall of what it could have been. The graphics are nice and the driving is improved but by the end of the game i wanted more. And by the time Multi-player came out i knew i had bit of more than i could chew and had to swallow it however painful it was. 6/10 Single player: Great, Multi-player: A never ending joy ride of vomit and Big Smoke saying "All you had to do was follow the damn train C.J". Expand
  92. Feb 21, 2015
    Sincerely, GTA V is fun only during missions. The open world is going to getting boring until the end of the main story and secondary missions. There is not so much destruction that you can cause that saves the game from boredom even with tennis, golf and diving. And the smart police? Even if there are no witnesses, they appears anywhere ruining the fun. One day when we can get inSincerely, GTA V is fun only during missions. The open world is going to getting boring until the end of the main story and secondary missions. There is not so much destruction that you can cause that saves the game from boredom even with tennis, golf and diving. And the smart police? Even if there are no witnesses, they appears anywhere ruining the fun. One day when we can get in anywhere, cause destruction and escape before someone call the police, GTA will be amazing. Expand
  93. Sep 17, 2013
    I am a seasoned gamer and a middle aged man by now. I have seen and played many games by now.
    I don't really like playing with a controller (I prefer kb+m) or playing on a console.
    For this title I simply don't care. The game is so good, so rich, so full of story that controls, graphics (surprisingly beautiful for an aging PS3) just don't get in the way of full immersion. I challenge
    For this title I simply don't care.
    I challenge anyone to do a better game, I don't hesitate to give it a full 10, just for the sheer amount of content that's in it in day one.
    In the days of DLCs, freeemium, getting such a vast expanse of a game to play with is just pure bliss.

1. Dec 12, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto V offers one of the best sandbox experiences ever, filled to the brink with stuff to do. The vistas are magnificent and amazing stuff just seems to happen wherever you go. But at the same time the story is tired and the characters unoriginal. Your appreciation of Grand Theft Auto V will depend of what you want out of the series. The freedom and joy of discovery is hard to beat but the rest still has some ways left to go.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    GTA V continues the game series' tradition of raising the bar for open world action games.
  3. Nov 5, 2013
    Tons of gameplay hours, plenty of missions and activities with an awesome collection of vehicles of various modes of transportation and a large array of firearms put the grandeur once again into Grand Theft Auto.