8.3

1. Sep 20, 2013
    While GTA V may have raised the bar in several areas as compared to GTA IV, in one crucial area it has dropped the ball.

The huge open world looks beautiful and is highly detailed, the shooting mechanics have been fine-tuned, and the story is great. All of these help to immerse you into the world. However, the immersion, in my opinion, ends the second you step foot into a vehicle.

All of these help to immerse you into the world. However, the immersion, in my opinion, ends the second you step foot into a vehicle. This is where my biggest issue with the game begins.

In short, it feels like Rockstar have stripped away any personality that the vehicles had in the previous game. Instead, the vehicle handling has been homogenized to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Rather than make a driving system that is rewarding and based more on skill and a small investment of time, it has been simplified to the most basic levels, making it a breeze for anyone to pick up and play instantly. As a result, it has become boring.

The vehicles are now merely an appliance used to get from point A to point B, rather than an experience of getting from point A to point B. Gone are power slides around corners, and having to constantly be aware of the way your car was behaving. Instead, you can't break traction at all, cars self correct when drifting using the handbrake, turn on a dime, and come to a complete stop in 50 feet from any speed. An SUV handles like a supercar, and a supercar handles like a go-kart.

What is even more perplexing are the vehicle upgrades. When the cars can perform like they do in their stock form, what is the point of the upgrade system?

In a day when everyone wants instant gratification, it appears that GTA has finally succumbed in the driving arena. For a game with the word "Auto" in its' title, this aspect of the game is a huge disappointment.
  2. Sep 20, 2013
    Rude, crude, vulgar and loads of fun! The world of Los Santos is rich in detail and character. Driving has been significantly improved. When I played GTA 4 the driving was so clunky I would often take a cab. Not anymore! I drive to all the missions and experience the sights and sounds of Los Santos. Another great feature is the water which now features waves and rapids. The story is solidRude, crude, vulgar and loads of fun! The world of Los Santos is rich in detail and character. Driving has been significantly improved. When I played GTA 4 the driving was so clunky I would often take a cab. Not anymore! I drive to all the missions and experience the sights and sounds of Los Santos. Another great feature is the water which now features waves and rapids. The story is solid and the heists are very enjoyable. I was expecting this game to be overrated. I can honestly say this game, unlike many others, deserves the hype. Expand
  3. Sep 20, 2013
    Now on about the 40th main story mission (stolen the last of 5 cars for a dude) plus done a lot of the "freaks" and other content. After buying 4 back in 2008, and giving up on it inside 90 minutes (I still think it's rubbish I have no sympathy for Niko and hated playing as him. In fact I would love to have played someone to shoot him in the face and end the game then and there when youNow on about the 40th main story mission (stolen the last of 5 cars for a dude) plus done a lot of the "freaks" and other content. After buying 4 back in 2008, and giving up on it inside 90 minutes (I still think it's rubbish I have no sympathy for Niko and hated playing as him. In fact I would love to have played someone to shoot him in the face and end the game then and there when you really despise the character you're playing it's hard to play at all) this game is a complete turn around. Some of the missions are just unbelievable, the size and scope is amazing. Yeah the AI for something this size isn't perfect everywhere, but the gameplay mechanics are fabulous. I'm a PC games, and this is only the second action game I've ever bothered with on console (I much prefer mouse and keyboard most of the time) this is up there is not better than Red Dead (which is the other game I played). The story is hilarious mostly a couple of nasty bits, but mostly really funny. You get to like even the psychotic characters a little.
    Remember this is the "taster" the single player game is the entree to what's coming in a few days. People talk about the game that will topple Warcraft as an MMO? This is it.
    No bull when GTA Online comes out based on this play set this theme park... and with all the other items that are going live and planned over the next 12 months for Online this is the game that will finally challenge WoW for online numbers. And yes expect to pay a little for it either in micro transactions or a sub (probably the former).

My only puzzle is why bring it out on 2 consoles that are going to be obsolete 8 weeks later? Really odd choice. Am I going to have to keep my 360 and PS3 out alongside my Xbox1 and PS4 just to play this game (as neither console offers backwards compatibility)

The other thing here is, AAA studios bringing out GFX candy and open world action games for the new consoles have a benchmark to beat. Hell I can see the reviews now "How come this PS4 game has worse GFX and less to do than GTA V which is a last gen game"?

Conversations like that are going to be all over the place after November 2013 for the next 12 months at least. That's how high GTA 5 sets the bar.
  4. Sep 20, 2013
    Five years ago I played GTA 4 and I really enjoyed it and while it wasn't perfect it was the next step in open world gaming. Two years ago I played Skyrim and thought it was the only game better at open world gaming than GTA 4. Now Skyrim is merely a pleasant memory because GTA 5 is here.

I started the game and was mildly disappointed with the start not that it's particularly bad it just wasn't what I waited five years for. However once the action moves to Los Santos the game is jump started into life and what unfolds is nothing short of a masterpiece and I go as far as to say it is the pinnacle of open world gaming.

You play as three characters giving a much greater variety in terms of the way the game is played and the ability to switch between characters means you can often skip those long drives back into the city. The Map deserves comment because it is huge and for once is totally accessible from the start which is a huge improvement from the ridiculous bridge closures of previous games. The missions are the best yet and revolve around Heists which are as exciting as they look in the trailers and have great replay value as they can be approached in a variety of ways. Mini games have been expanded and offer a good 20 minutes of distraction and with a vast array you could easily waste a day just playing them. The driving and shooting have been improved and mixed with the new special moves given to each character make for really exciting action sequences. Finally I have to welcome back the planes which are insanely fun and even though I'm a terrible pilot they provide a great way to get around.

In conclusion ignore the people who tell you it's just all the same because while, like the Elderscrolls series, it sticks to the core gameplay you loved back in 2001 it takes the gameplay and expands upon it in the most exciting ways possible in the process giving the gamer access to the most thrilling living breathing world available and I can't ask for any more.
  5. Sep 20, 2013
    Really amazing evolution of the series, the radio station music is a bit of a letdown but the gameplay is excellent. I'm only 25% in so far but really liking the heists.

really didnt like Trevor at first but I gave him a big beard and some shades from ammunation and I swear he looks like Jack Nicholson now! Mucxh better
  6. Sep 20, 2013
    Absolutely astounding game, I can't say anything that anyone else hasn't already said, the only reason it doesn't get 10/10 is because of a few simple things, One, the multiplayer isn't out and won't be for another 11 days, so I can't give it a full score as I've not played the full game yet and because of the outrageous claims that this game is "100 Hours Long", which is a bunch of PR IAbsolutely astounding game, I can't say anything that anyone else hasn't already said, the only reason it doesn't get 10/10 is because of a few simple things, One, the multiplayer isn't out and won't be for another 11 days, so I can't give it a full score as I've not played the full game yet and because of the outrageous claims that this game is "100 Hours Long", which is a bunch of PR I got 100% in about 54 hours and I wasn't rushing, That's half the time they claimed, it's more than satisfactory, but why flat out lie? If they'd had said it's "55 hours long" i'd have still been impressed and would not have come out disappointed that it ended as quickly as it did.
    {Spoiler}
    Last is the unskip-able torture scene, while it's crucial and important part of Trevor character development, it isn't very pleasant and makes a lot of people feel uncomfortable, but I feel it has it's place in gaming as it's not condoning torture, by any means, it's showing how idealistic america thinks it is, when this game shows how really unnecessarily brutal it is, this stuff really happens and it's a real reality check to see it in the flesh.
  7. Sep 20, 2013
    If you remember what the joy of playing San Andreas (and previous GTA games before it) felt like, than you won't be left dissapointed. People who are afraid of it being a GTA IV rehash, no fears, it's not.
  8. Sep 20, 2013
    Literally the greatest game ever made. Amazing soundtrack, Next generation ultimate story. Rockstar really did it this time. The advancement on car, gun and gameplay mechanics is huge and consequently makes the game very enjoyable. With plenty to do from Tennis, Triathlons and flight school to hardcore torture missions Grand Theft Auto 5 has it all and deserves easily 10/10, 100/100.
  9. Sep 20, 2013
    gta as everyone knows is brought to you from the developers of red dead and la noire. primarily set around 4 characters out to score big in the fictional city that is las santos through unnecessary violence and far to much use of the n***er and moth*****ker words, that me personally finds it a cheap way from the developers to get a reaction. The characters represent everything i hate in agta as everyone knows is brought to you from the developers of red dead and la noire. primarily set around 4 characters out to score big in the fictional city that is las santos through unnecessary violence and far to much use of the n***er and moth*****ker words, that me personally finds it a cheap way from the developers to get a reaction. The characters represent everything i hate in a person, I know the gta series has been known for elements of grand theft auto (obviously) violence, prostitution, drugs trust me i know i have been playing them off and on from the very first one, but with gta5 everything feels cheap, forced and unnecessary. I found it impossible to fall in love with the main characters and therefore didn't feel any attachment to them and thus didn't truly devote to them as characters. the car handling mechanics all feel the same from one van to the next one, and from one bike to the next also. the god awful car shooting mechanics where the aim is also the trigger button, and with that you have to carefully estimate where the reticule would be. the cover button is poorly exacuted as well and aims throughs doors when your stuck to a frame, plus the reticule is a pathetic dot for every none scoped gun, even a shotgun which makes no sense because shotguns have a greater spread with them. the mission status only shows up after you complete a mission, and on many occasions i have said to myself i would of done that if i'd a known, but you can replay misisons to get better scores which i think is another cheap unimaginative way to invoke replay value. i lke the camera to be very sensitive and the aiming reticle to be quite low, but you can't do that in this game, only change the overall senstivity for both analog sticks. the city is huge though and does ever so deservedly boast that, but you can barely go inside anywhere most doors i went up to denied me access, and the activities like for example tennis, shooting range, yoga, are superficial and once you have tried it, there is no compelling fun element to go back. plus in my own personal opinion everything feels rushed and monotonous. I find it quite frustrating that everytime i do a mission or enter a cutscene my characters clothes change, and you are limited on personal customization, and the skill levelling is awful i would rather not level up at all and all my characters have thier own personal skills, because you can level up every skill with every character there is no individualism and therefore everyone of your four main characters loses their unique touch and aspects. The flying aspect within the game is terrible as well, feels to sensitive and sucks at all the fun of it. im just glad i can sell it to a mate for £40.00 and thus only losing out on a fiver. Expand
  10. Sep 20, 2013
    What a piece of art, I have started my adventure with the newest GTA instalment yesterday and absolutely loving it! Rockstar did a wonderful job while creating such detailed, massive world here. This game take the best from the previous GTA games, Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3, to combine it into one of the best games that ever hit the shelves.The visual side is superb if you willWhat a piece of art, I have started my adventure with the newest GTA instalment yesterday and absolutely loving it! Rockstar did a wonderful job while creating such detailed, massive world here. This game take the best from the previous GTA games, Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3, to combine it into one of the best games that ever hit the shelves.The visual side is superb if you will consider the size of the game, obviously you cannot compare it to titles like Crysis, but still this is a massive open world game. The gameplay rocks, controls are solid and smoothly, there is a great improvement over the previous GTA titles. Some people are complaining that the shooting is not as good as in Max Payne 3, but please, this is an open world game and shooting is one of the many, many things you will do in this game, so you cannot compare the mechanics to AAA shooters, where the major focus is on shooting. Still it is very enjoyable and I cannot complain about the mechanics here. The story will keep you intrested and pushing forward to check what will happen next. I am still looking forward to start playing Trevor, as yesterday within the first 10hrs of gameplay I was mainly free roaming with Franklin, driving, enjoying the views, swimming, bike riding and checking all the things that the game offers at the beginning. One thing ref to issue with "play disc" install on XBOX hard drive I have installed the "instal disc" into my Xbox hard disc, whereas the "play disc" I copied into the HDD 500gb external disc (it is USB 3.0 but will still work OK if formated to FAT32). The games works very smoothly, within the first 10hours I havent faced any graphic/texture problems or bugs impressive job done on 8years old hardware! Great job ROCKSTAR! Thank you! Expand
  11. Sep 20, 2013
    Easily the greatest game of this generation. They have managed to get so much out of the console with this game yet still get a decent frame rate all though I did see some pop in but you have to remember this is an 8 year old console so if you have to blame anything it should be that.

The story is great and if you watch the cut-scenes and listen to the characters talk you get more of the back story as you play through the game.

Some other reviews criticise the content of the game but appear to overlook the usual GTA satire on offer as if it never existed before.

If you want to play a driving simulator go and play Forza, if you want to play a shooting game, go and play COD but if you want to play a game which offers you most of the things you want in one game with a stunning setting then leave GTA in your DVD drive.
  12. Sep 19, 2013
    I really don't know if I'm playing the same game as some users... I can't imagine how some human being didn't like this game. This is the greatest production I've ever seen in a game. Great history, great characters, best physics ever, fluid gameplay and, well, all that freedom that only GTA brings to us. All the best things of all games of the franchise are present. Congratulations,I really don't know if I'm playing the same game as some users... I can't imagine how some human being didn't like this game. This is the greatest production I've ever seen in a game. Great history, great characters, best physics ever, fluid gameplay and, well, all that freedom that only GTA brings to us. All the best things of all games of the franchise are present. Congratulations, Rockstar. You made it... again! Expand
  13. Sep 19, 2013
    This game is waaay overrated! The mechanics in this game are sloppy and pathetic! The game is not really entertaining at all. This is likely to turn into a COD game where people just play it for the multiplayer. Franklin is just annoying and a hated character. The driving is bad, and especially the flying is absolutely terrible. You are forced to install the disc 1 of a 8gb installation inThis game is waaay overrated! The mechanics in this game are sloppy and pathetic! The game is not really entertaining at all. This is likely to turn into a COD game where people just play it for the multiplayer. Franklin is just annoying and a hated character. The driving is bad, and especially the flying is absolutely terrible. You are forced to install the disc 1 of a 8gb installation in order to play. (Xbox One is here! THE fuuuuuttuuuureeeee....) *Making fun of Major Nelson*

Yeah, I recommend waiting for the price to drop.
  14. Sep 19, 2013
    Rockstar did it again. And by that I mean GTA 4.

They put you in a huge game world, with interesting characters, landscape and all that (and even more now with customized weapons and cars). Then they put all of it in the trash because they're not rewarding you for anything, aside from the story missions. It's a complete joke. Why was Saints Row so fun? Side missions. Why was GTA:SA
    Rockstar did it again. And by that I mean GTA 4.

Why was Saints Row so fun? Side missions. Why was GTA:SA so fun? Side missions. Why was GTA:VC so fun? Side missions. Do I need to go on here?

So you buy this business, and the manager calls you because some guy is robbing you. So you go there and cap the guy. What does that give you? NOTHING. And if you just ignore it, the result is... the same NOTHING. Oh wait, maybe you'll get $15-20 from looting the corpse.

Or you can rob the two car wash stores in town and get $1000, big deal.

Or you can stumble upon some armored truck and rob it for a few grand, if you happen to find them AND if you're lucky.

Or you can invest on the stock market by listening to tips on the radio. Oh my god, who the hell cares?

Oh and some of the businesses you can buy cost a few MILLIONS.

Like GTA:IV, the gameplay is fun and all, but there is NOTHING to do in there. I really hope GTA Online is the sh*znit, otherwise it's the last GTA I'll ever buy (and I have never ever thought I'd say that back in the SA days).
  15. Sep 19, 2013
    A good game but hardly revolutionary, the 3 character model does add some more diversity to the story but that leaves you with 3 characters to build until they are decent and switching from one to another you do notice when one is lacking. The game has all the good stuff they gutted from GTA 4, but little else, but they have made optional activities and mini games it less intrusive whenA good game but hardly revolutionary, the 3 character model does add some more diversity to the story but that leaves you with 3 characters to build until they are decent and switching from one to another you do notice when one is lacking. The game has all the good stuff they gutted from GTA 4, but little else, but they have made optional activities and mini games it less intrusive when you want to be doing something else.

The graphics are solid but not exceptional, the mission structure is alright but obvious and while the plot line is complex, enjoyable and different it is more than a little thin in places. The map is nice and it is quite a challenge to get used but in a good way. The AI is both good and bad at times; the cops are like rhino’s on steroids and the npc’s on the street can be just as bad.

And quite honestly the Trevor character is a bit too psychotic to make him likable; verging on sociopath monster-a whole lot of anger went into making him and this game in general I think.

If you liked GTA 3 then you will like this game, but wait until its half price or you are trading something in for it.
  16. Sep 19, 2013
    I am not kidding when I say that GTA V is the best GTA game ever. It's essentially San Andreas with prettier graphics, awesome heists, and 3 lead characters.
    I wont even say anything else you need to experience GTA V for yourself.
  17. Sep 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to start.

This game is visually stunning, almost the beauty of a Need For Speed game, with the ridiculously meticulous details of a GTA game. The character switching is great, the shooting is vastly improved from the previous GTA (although still not perfect, but i'm not complaining).

The driving is a hell of a lot better than previous versions, you now have the ability to take a sharp corner quickly without careering into hoards of people, trees, lamp posts....you get the idea.

The characters are interesting, and very noticeably different in mannerisms, actions and most surprisingly walks. It is these little details all over GTAV that make this game such a pleasure to play.

Overall: Amazing, and for every person that says this game will be forgotten in 4 months, I doubt it!

(Just a note as well, there are a couple of people commenting about the deliberate slow progression of Rockstar with the GTA series to sell more copies, there may be that to a certain extent, but think about when GTAIV came out, after 9/11, based on New York, do you think flying planes would have been seen as a good idea? Think about it people!)
  18. Sep 19, 2013
    At the end of the day it's just the same as always (poor plot and funny open-world freedom) but with plenty plenty new cool features and improved graphics. The thing is that it will happen as with most of GTA games: people won't really end the game or enjoy the story itself. Anyway it is a great game with lots of cool features and possibilities. The best GTA until the date, probably. ButAt the end of the day it's just the same as always (poor plot and funny open-world freedom) but with plenty plenty new cool features and improved graphics. The thing is that it will happen as with most of GTA games: people won't really end the game or enjoy the story itself. Anyway it is a great game with lots of cool features and possibilities. The best GTA until the date, probably. But that doesn't make it a perfect game. Expand
  19. Sep 19, 2013
    Truly a fantastic achievement by Rockstar games. It's a phenomenal experience and anyone who's played any of the previous games should definitely be playing this. I was skeptical since GTA 4 was a disappointment for me so I didn't buy the game at first but I spent a good amount of time reading user reviews and finally decided to buy. This has the feel of San Andreas all the way and theyTruly a fantastic achievement by Rockstar games. It's a phenomenal experience and anyone who's played any of the previous games should definitely be playing this. I was skeptical since GTA 4 was a disappointment for me so I didn't buy the game at first but I spent a good amount of time reading user reviews and finally decided to buy. This has the feel of San Andreas all the way and they have really carried through the successes of Red Dead Redemption into this game by having fun, varied missions which have a cool cinematic feel to them and giving the open world much more weight. I stayed away from the hype surrounding this game but man it really looks like this one delivers on all fronts, if there's any way for you to at least try the game if you haven't already just do it, this one must be experienced. This will undoubtedly be in the top 3 games of this generation of consoles. Going back to play, bye. Expand
  20. Sep 19, 2013
    i really want to say it s a bad game and i was so hyped for nothing but this game didn t give tha chance to eving think of saying this the visuals are great and the gameplay is awesome and even if you dind t love gta you will love this game fir sure and i the tha bad user score are from the who don t have xbox and ps3 thinking that watch can be better than the best game in the gaming hisotr
  21. Sep 19, 2013
    Pro: Best Open World experience in gaming history, nice graphics, good sound and music
    Contra: Boring story, incredibly bland and uninteresting characters, the game cant decide if it wants to be serious or like Saints Row.
    In conclusion: Good, but worse than GTA IV.
  22. Sep 19, 2013
    GTA V and Mass Effect 2 are in my opinion the best games of the generation. Well done Rockstar, it was def worth the wait. Everything is perfect in this game.
  23. Sep 19, 2013
    The gameplay is flawless and second to none, but it's the story in the end that stumbles. If you can forgive the weak writing, you'll be in for a lot of amazing moments. The excellent mission design, refined gameplay mechanics and the massive overworld warrant a purchase alone.
  24. Sep 19, 2013
    Fulfilled my expectation. Definitely better than IV as the missions are much more varied and over the top. Vehicles are mostly fun however Voice acting is a bit off sometimes also most of the interiors still couldn't be accessed. I'd rather they reduce the size of that desert to do a better job on interior and underground levels design. This is the way to push the series forward. MissionsFulfilled my expectation. Definitely better than IV as the missions are much more varied and over the top. Vehicles are mostly fun however Voice acting is a bit off sometimes also most of the interiors still couldn't be accessed. I'd rather they reduce the size of that desert to do a better job on interior and underground levels design. This is the way to push the series forward. Missions are also feel way too linear at times, you would fail a mission if they just spot you, or you don't use the car the devs want you to. A true openess mission design would be appreciated the next installment. Two more weeks and the online will be released and I think that's the money they mainly spent on. Expand
  25. Sep 19, 2013
    Truly raises the bar for sandbox games. Brings us the best of all GTA's combined, especially Vice City and San Andreas. Phenomenal game, I suggest you go out and buy it now or you'll be missing out on an important cultural event in the history of video games.
  26. Sep 19, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto 5 brings a face lift to the GTA series sending you back to the wild and beautiful San Andreas. Grand Theft Auto 5 never disappoints with its missions or its dialogue. Grand Theft Auto 5 doesn't just have one protagonist but 3! Michael, Franklin and Trevor all very different and unique characters really bring the story alive, The story pulls you in and doesn't let go untilGrand Theft Auto 5 brings a face lift to the GTA series sending you back to the wild and beautiful San Andreas. Grand Theft Auto 5 never disappoints with its missions or its dialogue. Grand Theft Auto 5 doesn't just have one protagonist but 3! Michael, Franklin and Trevor all very different and unique characters really bring the story alive, The story pulls you in and doesn't let go until you're drenched in sweat from excitement. The world is large and beautiful with greatly improved graphics from Grand Theft Auto 4 the magical coding Wizards at Rockstar North have pulled off making one of the best games of all time... Maybe even the best. Expand
  27. Sep 19, 2013
    Greatest game ever in my very honest opinion, every penny profit R* make from this game is well deserved! it has set a new standard in gaming that very few developers could ever achieve! I could spend all day just talking about how great it is, but you have to play it yourself to truly understand the scope! well done Sam, Dan and the rest of the amazing team which made this game what itGreatest game ever in my very honest opinion, every penny profit R* make from this game is well deserved! it has set a new standard in gaming that very few developers could ever achieve! I could spend all day just talking about how great it is, but you have to play it yourself to truly understand the scope! well done Sam, Dan and the rest of the amazing team which made this game what it is. On a side note I've noticed a lot of negative reviews for this game on Metacritic, If you truly believe this game is rubbish and not worth a second of your time then fair enough! but if you are going to post bad reviews based on the fact a PC version has not been announced then maybe you don't deserve a pc version at all! R* have made GTA games like this for ages, what makes people think that they should be self entitled to something just because they play pc? most smart people nowadays own a pc and console. Expand
  28. Sep 19, 2013
    I Think this is the best GTA Game ever, better than San Andreas In My Opinion, because it have a majority of things of San Andreas, and much more, 69 misions, allrigh, poor mission number, but with 3 characters, the history of 69 missions can last more than all GTA San Andreas Missions (104), but more than 50 are the same, Go with the car at one location, kill some people, go away.
    but
    but this, this misions are great!, and the additional missions (21) are so great and are like main missions but not necesary, and all of them adds a waay of time in this game, i am in the mission #53 and i have the game since september 17, playing it all day, all night, and i don't get bored, is the perfect game with the perfect character with the perfect things to do and Missions, if you reading this review and you have the game, GO AWAY AND PLAY IT!
  29. Sep 19, 2013
    So to play the "full" version of this game you need: 1. To preorder so you can have the "bonus" content, 2. Have a "smartphone" 3. Have a facebook account 4. Pay for Xbox gold 5. Pay for "DLC" weapons etc that are already on the disc. 6.Have an internet subscription. And this is a single player game that I just paid full price for...
  30. Sep 19, 2013
    I would like to make a few things clear about this game, If you see anyone on here that says "THE GRAPHICS ARE TERRIBLE" or "THE LOAD TIMES OMG" are just lying or have a ps3. Im not bashing the ps3 but there has been a confirmed texture glitch on ps3.

Ive only had to load a few times the whole time ive played the game once when I installed the game and once when you load your saves, there is NO LOAD TIMES BETWEEN, BEFORE OR AFTER CUTSCENES and who ever says that is lying about it. There are load times between character switching but the switching was faster than loading a mutiplayer map on an FPS.

The city is bigger than liberty city it feels even bigger than the Orignal Los santos we say in gta san. If someone is telling you that the city is "small" and "not as big as the other cities" is lying to you. I know this because the first time I saw the map I thought the city looked small myself when I got there I clearly saw I was wrong. Ive been playing for 10 hours now and I still havent seen all the city or even touched the wilderness areas.
    There isnt much to say about the graphics, there are a lot more effects and sun flares, the game looks better, the cars look better, everything just looks better.

There are some bad things though...I did have a major frame rate drop while I was playing, It happened once but It was HORRIABLE, I dropped down to what felt like less than 10 frames for no reason what so ever. also if you look at the shadows too closely you can clearly see choppy and distorted shadows.

Gameplay; The game play in this game feels....ok I guess, it isnt max payne which a lot of us were hoping for but it does get the job done, driving feels great.....shooting on the other hand just doesnt feel like it has the beefy impacts as gtaiv or max payne or even red dead have, but this doesnt effect scores since that is just a cosmetic effect. Another problem I have about the game play is the specials each character gets; Micheal can slow down time while shooting max payne style, frank can slow down time while driving which also allows him to handle better and trevor can deal more damage while taking less., but the thing is Micheals just doesnt work or feel good it slows down time but it also slows you so much it doesnt even matter. Trevors is just hard to notice. But frank on the other hand feels good yet overpowered because of one thing, Frank can slow down time while in a car which means if hes doing drive bys he gets THE SAME EFFECT AS MICHEAL JUST IN A CAR! so basically frank gets two benefits while the others only get one.

This game is not for everyone, If you dont like open worlds which have dense cities and open country sides you will not like this game, this game is a lot of driving and a lot of story which your average fps fan would not care for. Me personally I love the game, I love its openness I love the look and its just nice to see a new gta game, It also *SLIGHT SPOILER* has some pretty wacky moments that compare with saints row. but the thing is you have to know where to go to see these and you have to be willing to explore and find stuff your self and not be afraid of what might happen.

A break down and final word: Graphics are nothing to worry about, Top notch graphics and only one major frame drop so far, which is great compared to other games this gen.
    Gameplay is fun but no real learning curve.
    Im giving it a 10/10 just because the things I mentioned are not game breaking what so ever,...

Oh and one last thing, people complaining about draw distance and the roads need to remember that the city is based off of LA, A city which does have 6 lane super highways and smog so dense you cant see the horizen. and heres a little tip.... The game DOESNT have poor draw distance, its literally the smog just like in real LA. this smog doesnt show up at night or in the country side, so anyone who is saying the game has draw distance clearly has never been to LA or seen real pictures besides the ones we see on TV of a clear clean LA. LA IS SMOGGY and the game shows it like that.
  31. Sep 19, 2013
    this is he best game i have ever played. the graphics are not stellar but everything else is AMAZING. just think about the multiplayer!! anyone who is doubting getting this please get it!!
  32. Sep 19, 2013
    Take GTA SA and remove the loveable characters controls and missions the also the areas and add 3 more boring scumbags and a extremely boring world and you got GTA V I have no idea why this game is so praised
  33. Sep 19, 2013
    Incredible game! Rockstar have done it again, creating a real living world and providing a fun experience. Ignore the low reviews this is really something!
  34. Sep 19, 2013
    GTA V. The last hoorah of the current generation consoles, and the fact that it's released only on the consoles is to me, it's biggest con. The game itself is utterly amazing, the characters are fun to play with, the game mechanics are smooth, the driving is a fun hybrid of GTA IV and San Andreas, the gun handling, aiming is all the best from all Rockstar Games, the amazing new features ofGTA V. The last hoorah of the current generation consoles, and the fact that it's released only on the consoles is to me, it's biggest con. The game itself is utterly amazing, the characters are fun to play with, the game mechanics are smooth, the driving is a fun hybrid of GTA IV and San Andreas, the gun handling, aiming is all the best from all Rockstar Games, the amazing new features of stock exchanges and buying property add a lot of depth to the game. Scuba diving, hunting, tennis, biking, hiking, heists this game is pretty much all the best things crammed into one. The graphics are phenomenal and the best on Xbox and PS3 in my opinion.
    However, I think that bringing out this kind of hardware hard game was a mistake to bring out on the current gen consoles. Don't get me wrong the game works fine, but there are times when there are too many bullets shot at you, or the smoke covers up the screen ,or there are a lot of cars and characters in front of you that the game just lags. I think that it's this lag that really drags this game down from what otherwise would be the most perfect game ever created.
    Bring on the Next Gen and PC version Rockstar!
  35. Sep 19, 2013
    Okay, before you call me a fanboy this game is amazing! Please don't listen to the guys who just hate on its graphics. Voice acting is brilliant, gameplay is smooth, great storyline, enhanced mechanics and pretty much everything else has been improved on. There is so much to do and explore! Randomly generated events and freaks will give you tons of side missions to do. There are so manyOkay, before you call me a fanboy this game is amazing! Please don't listen to the guys who just hate on its graphics. Voice acting is brilliant, gameplay is smooth, great storyline, enhanced mechanics and pretty much everything else has been improved on. There is so much to do and explore! Randomly generated events and freaks will give you tons of side missions to do. There are so many mini games and jobs. Heists are thrilling and offer HIGH replay ability. The only thing I don't like are the shooting mechanics and the new cop evasion system. Anyway, I beg of you to buy this game and make your life better it will be the game to play especially when GTA Online debuts. Expand
  36. Sep 19, 2013
    This game is just AMAZING! amazing storyline, Great missions, alot of things to do, it's muuuuch more better than GTA IV and even better than San Andreas, This game is what I was expecting and I'm sure this will be the game of the year
  37. Sep 19, 2013
    I thought that having 3 main characters would make the story more confusing and I wouldn't get sucked into it. I was wrong. The way you are able to switch between them to see them carrying on with their daily lives is amazing, plus the way they all interact with each other makes me love all the characters even more. If there is one thing I can say for certain, its that Rockstar know how toI thought that having 3 main characters would make the story more confusing and I wouldn't get sucked into it. I was wrong. The way you are able to switch between them to see them carrying on with their daily lives is amazing, plus the way they all interact with each other makes me love all the characters even more. If there is one thing I can say for certain, its that Rockstar know how to make one hell of a game. Expand
  38. Sep 19, 2013
    This is a 10 rating to balance out the idiotic 0 star reviews from jealous PC users. Go win some hats in TF2 and piss off with your unfair reviews. Game gets a 10 obviously, best game of the year.
  39. Sep 19, 2013
    Is it "the best game"? Doubt it. Does it have a place on top ten games in gaming history? No. Maybe in top 10 games for this generation. But while we remember the best games of C64 or NES, some old PC gamers remember what they have played on their first XT, XBOX 360 can be quickly forgotten. And I am sure as hell, we will see GTA 6 on XBOX One.

What makes GTA 5 so important then? The

What makes GTA 5 so important then? The fact that when everyone streamlines and dumbs down games we see record sales from a game that does something else, and tries to offer more and more depth. No budget cuts, no "always online" requirement, no tricks to force people to buy. It simply delivers quality and people buy it.

It is a shining example of how things should be done.

But it isn't much more. People say "rehash" and name only the tennis and the 3 characters as new. Well, and you have a brand new story, it is longer than an RPG. The world is more detailed than ever. And whats even better guys. But modern day GTAs are famous as art as well, because how they portray values of the western world. And hey, we have a real american family.

But lets check one big change: How we can choose between different tactics, how it increases replay value. I am sure most of the reviews missed this point as well. Do you like this change? I do. And it shows that each and every GTA has something new. Something new, useful, and valuable. This is why a lot of people can preorder it anytime.
  40. Sep 19, 2013
    The best GTA game so far. From going underwater to starting a business to endless pedestrian killing, this game never loses fun and is a legend in sandbox gaming.
  41. Sep 19, 2013
    Good game-play wise, graphics look a bit crap. a lot of GTA IV mods look way better, but gets 6 because items magically appearing when driving fast is very annoying if they fix that then I would give 9/10.
  42. Sep 19, 2013
    I think I've been spoiled by the recent influx of really good third person shooters and open world games. Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row, and others have all added a good mix of fun and great ideas to the genre. And because of that, I feel rather unimpressed by GTA V.

The story is weak, which isn't really that surprising since most GTA games aren't known for their depth, but I was actually really invested in the stories of Red Dead Redemption and L.A. Noire, both of which are of course Rockstar titles. None of the main characters really appeal to me, they're not funny or clever, and after 30 hours of doing just story missions I find myself really let down. I get that everything is a parody, that the political cartoons on TV and the jabs at Facebook are pop culture references, but none of it is really making me laugh. The side characters like Jimmy and Tonya are just obnoxious and I keep wishing I could permanently drive them off a cliff, but I can't!

As for gameplay, the driving is really bad, and with cars being the center of the game mechanics, that's saying something. Cars don't feel very different, they don't seem to have much weight to them, the GPS is really archaic and detracts from other things. There are clipping issues with items along the road and the car physics still seem way off. Shooting from cars is horrible, I mean who the hell thought it would be a great idea to make shoot and target the same button? That kind of stuff is unforgivable in 2013, especially since other recent games have it so much better. Movement is clunky, it feels like it hasn't improved a bit since RDR, I constantly "bump" into people and annoy them even though I clearly didn't even touch them. Moving around the house or inside areas does not feel nice, it feels like I'm moving a fridge rather than a person. Why is it so hard to actually stash cars and have a garage? What happened to my customized cars? It feels like Rockstar didn't put much thought into making car management very fluent, and again, when cars are so prominent in the game, WHY is it like this? Also, the mission rating system is ridiculous when you can't even seen the requirements for different medals before or during the mission.

The side missions and activities are all over the place, they're not deep enough to be good simulations, but they're also not good enough to be arcade style mini games. Tennis in particular is terrible, so why even bother putting it in when you don't make it any fun or any good? Managing stock markets, browsing the internet, watching TV, going to strip clubs, etc, they're all kind of boring and I felt no need to do any of them ever again.

Character customization is average, it's nowhere near as fun as it is in Saints Row, and so far I haven't found anything worth buying at the clothing stores in Los Santos. The leveling system for stats is not fun, since you can't really tell you're getting better at something until the game tells you. There's no way to track progress, which makes it uninteresting. They'd have been better off just making the different characters good at certain things and bad at others, and then just keeping it that way. The fact that you need an iphone app to level your dog is especially when the app itself is unstable and keeps resetting progress. Please don't make external apps that influence in-game stats, it's a terrible idea.

Graphics wise, meh, while I think it looks a lot like L.A. the game is certainly not pushing any boundaries. The aliasing makes everything seem...I don't know, shiny but unappealing? There's something about it that doesn't feel right, it feels a bit too reflective and not real enough. I'm kinda sad that there's no performance capture stuff like they had with L.A. Noire, GTA V looks really old in comparison which is weird.

I won't bother to complain about every gaming site giving it a 10 since it's just a product of this gaming generation, but I will say I'm surprised to see that many normal people raving about it. The game doesn't bring anything new to the table and is quite honestly very boring most of the time. I would have rather had a game like Red Dead Redemption set in a different time and place, something a little more interesting than a recreation of L.A.
  43. Sep 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A milestone. A masterpiece. What else is there to say about GTA V that hasn't been said? I don't think I'll have to explain why this is by far one of the best games there is and ever was.

Maybe I'll just give you my reasons, why I didn't rate this game with 10 out of 10.

01. Some bugs. There was a mission where I "learned" how to use the sniper rifle and I had to restart it because the needed animals to shoot just didn't show up. The NPC was wandering around saying everything was fine and dandy, but even when I ran over him and shot him, nothing happened. At the car wash I got pretty interesting insight in the car and character because the camera was wiggling around. Nothing big, but with this long development time these things seem to be avoidable.

02. The music stations. By god, there are many. Many, many, many. But if you find a station which you enjoy, it gets pretty repetitive. Many stations but fewer songs per station, i guess.

Aand... thats it. Why should this stop me from giving a perfect 10 out of 10? So they can make it even better next time.
  44. Sep 19, 2013
    It's a little unfair to rate this game considering the most exciting feature, the multiplayer, is yet to be released. That said, the base game is a treat to play, with the character swap being the trump card.
    If it seems that it is more of the same it is. And that's a GOOD thing. We have a brand new city to play in, new ways to create mischief and more activities and things to do than you can shake a submarine at.
    Sure the iffy controls are still there, personally I'll never understand why they persist in forcing that pov, or why the gun mechanics are the way they are. Or why driving sometimes feels like you're driving with slick tyres.... on an oil slick. Mastering them, remembering all the controls all takes time and is not intuitive as I could wish.
    The game is pretty, it has to be said, but like GTA IV it would look much better on next gen hardware. Pop-ups, glitches and field distance can take you out of the game-world that Rockstar have made, while frame-rate slowdowns can break it.
    The story is what made it for me. The character switch and how they integrate it (not a gimmick) is genius. My only problem was at times the dialogue. I don't mind swearing, in fact I rather enjoy swearing, but holy crepe, can we tone down the expletives? Sometimes they sound like mindless baboons screeching at one another. And it has to be said that much of the dialogue is GTA cliche.
    None of that gets in the way though. The story itself, the heists.... oh man. Cinematic. Just, SO much fun.
    If you like playing gta, you will like this one. You will play for hours. Doing just random stuff. I spent an hour with tennis, just to see how difficult it was to play against the AI.
    The only serious flaw I had with this game is the dis-jointed feel between the story and just messing around. Feels like two different games, where in one it's a tight, tense story driven bonanza, and the other gives you so much freedom you're not sure what to do.
    Anyways, I'll be waiting for multiplayer with baited breath, but for now, I'm off skydiving.

TOR's Score: 7.5
  45. Sep 19, 2013
    Clearly the best GTA game i have ever played. The world's large, massive and amazing. So many features to explore. The Online features makes the game even more amazing. Rockstar Games's best release ever. I appreciate all their hardwork in making a superb game like this Thank you Rockstar Games!
  46. Sep 19, 2013
    Well I can sure as hell say this is the game you have all been waiting for. Say good bye to commitments, work, uni anything else cause this is the game of the decade.

Much improved in all areas (shooting unbelievable if you recall Red dead redemption you will be in for a treat) Driving (once you get used to the handling its rather excellent also much improved from GTAIV, Yes some vehicles do vary in terms of handling but once you tune them up at a customs shop, its an issue of the past) Gameplay Unbelievable, there's really not much more to say its F****** epic Replayability Well need I say more its GTA for gods sakes)

Overall an excellent Game I'm personally about 10 hours in and so far i'm loving it. As to all the haters you all To the rest definitely worth the $60 for over 200+ hours worth of fun Need I say more for when Gta Online comes out in october, Check ****ing mate
  47. Sep 18, 2013
    Rockstar has created the crowning achievement of this generation. A true Swan Song as we near the end of this incredible console life-cycle.

Not only one of the best games of this year, it's one of the best games ever made.

Enjoy.
  48. Sep 18, 2013
    I think it's funny how people come on here and gives this game a zero. 99% of the people that gave it such a low rating did so because of one of two reasons: 1. They only have a PC and are mad it's not out yet. 2. They are obviously autistic and their mom and dad won't let them get the game because they are afraid their child will cause the next sandy hook massacre.
  49. Sep 18, 2013
    what? 8,1 user score? All this trolls and haters can't do nothing with this masterpiece. Best Grand Theft Auto ever, even better than San Andreas, so what are you waiting for?
  50. Sep 18, 2013
    This game really marked me a totally, playing all my life, games of all kinds, with more than fan for video game industry, this game really would surprise me at all scopes and I can not stop playing it.
    something that caught my attention is that four years ago I have not thought about playing a game 2 times to run, so totally recommended for all types of player from a beginner, to the more veteran.
  51. Sep 18, 2013
    The journey of the three protagonists and their pursuit of the dollar in the beautiful, sun-drenched state of San Andreas is a breath taking experience. Quite simply put, this is the best video game I have played for the current generation of consoles.
  52. Sep 18, 2013
    This game is better than San Andreas, and that's one hell of an accomplishment. Grand Theft Auto V sets the standard (once again) for open world games. This is the best from all Rockstar games in one package. The combat from Red Dead Redemption/Max Payne 3, the customization from San Andreas, and of course the beautiful graphics and the Euphoria physics engine. Can't wait until GTA OnlineThis game is better than San Andreas, and that's one hell of an accomplishment. Grand Theft Auto V sets the standard (once again) for open world games. This is the best from all Rockstar games in one package. The combat from Red Dead Redemption/Max Payne 3, the customization from San Andreas, and of course the beautiful graphics and the Euphoria physics engine. Can't wait until GTA Online comes out October 1st. Game of the century. Expand
  53. Sep 18, 2013
    After serving three missions in the style of GTA Driver, you finally are free to do what you want. Driving is boring, your car no longer has that realistic control. Do you feel the Excite Trucks GTA. So you decide to walk around. But also if u decide to hit someone on the way, look out! One punch and the person dies It Prototype GTA
  54. Sep 18, 2013
    Don't listen to the Doom and Gloomers This is without a doubt a 10/10. Looks gorgeous, love the intertwining storylines to mention a just a few. Get it now
  55. Sep 18, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto 5 is an awesome game its way better than 4 because the story is so much better because there's 3 characters instead of one so different stories that go together. there's so much you can do in GTA 5 that when i started playing i didn't know where to go you can play tennis, race etc. Now the map, the map is extremely huge its twice thee size of gta 4's map, there'sGrand Theft Auto 5 is an awesome game its way better than 4 because the story is so much better because there's 3 characters instead of one so different stories that go together. there's so much you can do in GTA 5 that when i started playing i didn't know where to go you can play tennis, race etc. Now the map, the map is extremely huge its twice thee size of gta 4's map, there's wilderness you can hunt animals Expand
  56. Sep 18, 2013
    This is by far the best game I've ever played. And I've played almost every game out there. It's like a mixture of car racing games, call of duty, and arcade games all in one!!!! The driving is amazing and the missions are breath taking I'm hooked onto this game like no Tomorrow rock star really went all out on this game!
  57. Sep 18, 2013
    This game is absolutely phenomenal. If you thought GTA IV was an amazing game, you'll think GTA V is an absolute masterpiece. The GTA world in this game is huge and never ending. I swear you could drive for hours and hours at a time and still have plenty of areas to explore. I have played GTA V for about 20 hours total and I have yet to even scratch the surface of this game.
  58. Sep 18, 2013
    Absolutely amazing gameplay, story is great and gameplay in Los Santos last forever it seems and this is all in just single player, I can't wait for the online portion to come out. Great Game Rockstar!!! Worth every penny!!
  59. Sep 18, 2013
    To all you Call of duty Fanboys hope metacritic bans by IP's !!

To all you Call of duty Fanboys hope metacritic bans by IP's !!

great game very tough when you got a 3 star wanted lvl aka advanced AI system makes it hard to dodge the cops other than a few minor grips such as that and lil direction for tasks like when L asks you to get a smart suit which i had on yet wouldnt start the mission ,i found out i had to buy/wear the shoes as well other than that and few other small gripes its a well developed game and remember this is only half of the experience aka GTA online Oct 1st this game should be a perfect score but the butt-hurt lil boys oops i mean Cod fanboys wants to abuse the system as always >FYI CoD is a re-hash after re-hash least Battlefield is built from the ground up usually not copy and paste and always full of hackers !!

this game will most likely be nominated and granted GoY due to its gameplay,story,content all together look skyrim that took GoY in 2011 aka VGA's now GTA V has a very strong chance in winning it for 2013 VGA's

besides the small bugs im gonna give this a 9/10
  60. Sep 18, 2013
    In some respects, Grand Theft Auto 5 is a victim of its own grand design. It's clearly the best Open World Game in existence, but even now, after playing it with enjoyment, it still pains me to see how far away we are from that ideal realization of an Open World Game.

Of course this game has a lot going for it, most of which doesn't need to be said, but there are still a boat-load of things related to open world immersion that, even after five years, haven't been realized. The major cripple for me is the enormous amount of buildings that just cannot be interacted with. Now, I wouldn't expect every room in every skyscraper to be enterable, but at times, the game just feels like a giant shell for you to traverse.

AI of enemies, pedestrians et al is still as wishy washy as ever. The amount of times I've seen scripted nonsense go back on itself is quite disheartening, e.g punch a guy out of his car, he agros on you, you take the car fifty yards down the road, reverse back, then the guy is yacking away on his cellphone without a care in the world. Shoot a guy dead, then pedestrians will run for as far as you can see, but come back a minute later, and they'll be stood beside his body without any interest. There's countless of scripted stuff that goes jerky in missions and cop chases. The wanted system has defied logic ever since the game existed, so it's a shame they didn't make it more realistic. I just don't see the sense in the cops being on your tail one minute, and the next completely forgetting you exist.

In fact, it's a shame a lot more things weren't made realistic. The whole game plays too arcadey for its setting. Gunplay is the same old stuff. It feels fluid but hardly satisfying, and the auto-aim is the biggest gamebreaker I've ever seen.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment of all is the only true moment of brilliance Rockstar came up with this time around wasn't even fully realized the heists. For the most part of the game, you have to make your own fun. The missions are pretty much the same old A to B affair, but heists could've been massive. The prep work, the management before hand, dozens of ways to execute... sadly, R* just didn't put enough behind it, which is a shame, considering all the timewasters they put in here.

Looking back at all the things they highlighted in trailers, like hunting, real estate, tennis, golf, races... It's all pretty stocking filler. Something like hunting might sound good on paper, but when you realize how unrewarding and trivial it is, you roll your eyes a little. Same goes for real estate, it just has no depth whatsoever. For me, all of these things could have been sacrificed to make heists better.

Also worthy of note is the map size. Definitely not small... can't deny that. But when you just take the city, it's small, when compared to the other games. The countryside in LS is borderline nothingness, just like RDR was. I'd be able to dig the immersion, if the game around it wasn't so fast and unresponsive.
  61. Sep 18, 2013
    It's unfair go give this game "1" score just because it's console exclusive. Eat I'm also PC gamer, I play more on PC than Xbox. But how can you release such a good game on PC, when 80 will download it for free.

This game deserves for 9 vote, but if PC fanboys can give 1, I'll give 10. Screw ya

///Sorry for my poor english.
  62. Sep 18, 2013
    This game makes you feel miniscule. There is so much to do and even though you have the option to do it or not...you are left with a feeling of missing out. It's depressing. A game should be enjoyable.

I do appreciate the incredible detail and technology that went into this game to make it possible...but its really just too much. Its more like a Life Simulation than a game and while its enjoyable for the most part: In the long run, it will be depressing to even say you play it.

GTA Online will be interesting to see, but if the single player makes you feel this way... I don't think Online will be any sort of redeeming quality. Sure it will be fun with friends to joke around and maybe role play...but really, its too much and just sad. There is no real pride in saying you play GTAV.

Don't get me wrong! It's fantastically made. There is so much of everything and it's really pushing the limits of what you can do...but really its TOO MUCH. Makes you really miss games that actually were games.
  63. Sep 18, 2013
    They game is great! I love the story, the mechanics, the driving mechanics are superb! the graphics are also amazing for being on a 8 year old system.
  64. Sep 18, 2013
    GTA V being very overrated is probably the worst thing about Metacritic User Reviews.

The Game is brilliant, an easy 8-9/10, but it isn't perfect, Murky Textures and somewhat dull activities are highlighted here. Campaign is interesting,the world is Huge and messing around has never been as fun on a GTA game, but if you're reading reviews and want a genuine answer of the games

Campaign is interesting,the world is Huge and messing around has never been as fun on a GTA game, but if you're reading reviews and want a genuine answer of the games quality that isn't biased about how its 'perfect' or 'terrible' this is what you need to read.

Pros:
    Huge World
    Storyline
    Characters and General Improvements to them
    Pace

Cons:
    Textures
    Activities (while fitting to the game, tennis isn't something i want to spend my time on GRAND THEFT AUTO doing.)
  65. Sep 18, 2013
    GTA deserves a higher score than an 8.1 since this game is simply brilliant and beautiful.
    It's an awesome game for this gen wonder what it will be like on next or pc?
  66. Sep 18, 2013
    Hey Hey people who say it's the same as GTA 4, have you actually played the missions? I haven't gotten far in but already, I can see it's a huge improvement from gta 4. I feel a lot of these bad reviews is because it's on current gen consoles, and also cause it's not on pc. A good review rates the game, not the platform the game is on. Also, it's been in dev for 5 years, they're not justHey Hey people who say it's the same as GTA 4, have you actually played the missions? I haven't gotten far in but already, I can see it's a huge improvement from gta 4. I feel a lot of these bad reviews is because it's on current gen consoles, and also cause it's not on pc. A good review rates the game, not the platform the game is on. Also, it's been in dev for 5 years, they're not just gonna take 5 years of dev time and bring it to next gen that quickly. And the pc thing, yes it sucks. But that doesn't mean the game sucks. Expand
  67. Sep 18, 2013
    This game is great and it improves on everything of GTA IV (Story, gameplay etc.) plus adds features. The only thing keeping me from giving it a 10 is the character development is one sided. Example you play as Franklin for the first couple hours (don't worry no spoilers) and then you start as Micheal and it was weird then first switch and then again once you begin play as Trevor. And alsoThis game is great and it improves on everything of GTA IV (Story, gameplay etc.) plus adds features. The only thing keeping me from giving it a 10 is the character development is one sided. Example you play as Franklin for the first couple hours (don't worry no spoilers) and then you start as Micheal and it was weird then first switch and then again once you begin play as Trevor. And also while this game is great and awesome it is not a revolution like some are saying it changes a lot about open world game but complete flip them on there heads? No thats the only two things keeping this from a perfect score. Expand
  68. Sep 18, 2013
    This game has just about everything you could ever want and think of, and it's only going to get better once Online comes out the 1st of October and Rockstar can add the things that it intentionally left out to make sure it was the most perfect launch possible. I can already see where they've laid the foundation on certain things (the basketball courts, the convenience stores, and otherThis game has just about everything you could ever want and think of, and it's only going to get better once Online comes out the 1st of October and Rockstar can add the things that it intentionally left out to make sure it was the most perfect launch possible. I can already see where they've laid the foundation on certain things (the basketball courts, the convenience stores, and other various places) and they'll make those available to us as the time passes through the update and DLC content they make available. Everyone who is posting negative reviews, either hasn't played the game or suck at playing the game. Don't formulate an opinion until you play it for yourself, cause you just might be missing out on the greatest game of all time. Expand
  69. Sep 18, 2013
    I'm seeing a lot of people complaining that this game is "where GTA 4 should have been", and that it's just a sub-par sequel unfortunately placed at the end of a console generation. People saying that GTA5 included things that GTA4 should have had, but they exluded due to laziness, or marketing strategy... What?

First off, this is thee most expensive video game ever made at $266

First off, this is thee most expensive video game ever made at $266 million, whereas GTA4 was right around $100 million. There's a reason that they couldn't include intricacies like planes, semi-truck trailers, or drivable crashable trains; they spent their budget bring it to next-gen hardware, with which they did a remarkable job considering the circumstances.

As far as my 10/10 score, this game has brought all the things I loved from all previous Rockstar games, including Red Dead Redemption's improved movement mechanics and weapon wheel, Max Payne 3's improved shooting mechanics, Midnight Club LA's vehicular customization and on-road handling, GTA4's introduction to the Euphoria engine, and, well... Rockstar's Table Tennis's tennis mechanic (ok the appreciation of that was a joke, but don't be fooled because those methods were still incorporated).

Arguably, the production cost of this game surpassed the $266 million quote we were given just on the sole merit that everything from this game was pulled from the best of their previous games, meaning that Rockstar's entire history of games has been a research and development process just to deliver their magnum opus; Grand Theft Auto 5.

I own a gaming PC, why? For insane graphics. Am I complaining about the graphics on the 360? No. I, unlike many PC enthusiast wannabes, understand that the visuals that are able to be pumped out on an elderly console generation is... miraculous. Considering the limitations, the aesthetics are beyond amazing, and it was breathtaking when I drove into Los Santos for the first time from the mountains.

There are only two minor complaints that I have, but not enough to ding my score of the game. 1) the mountains surrounding Los Santos appear to be a little less detailed that I would have thought. It's a tiny bit immersion-removing because when you're walking or driving on it, it feels like a polygon with a grass texture, rather than a mountain. 2) The transition time between the playable characters takes roughly 3-4 times longer than advertised on the gameplay trailer. It zooms out quickly, moves over quickly, but then sits there for 5-10 seconds while it loads and populates the area before zooming in.

Overall, I think it is thee most memorable game I will have ever played, and arguably the best game ever made.
  70. Sep 18, 2013
    This is absolutely the best game I have ever played. Obviously, don't pay attention to the troll "0" reviews from people desperate for clicks on their profiles.
  71. Sep 18, 2013
    The best GTA yet. It starts you right off into the action and keeps it going without getting in the way of you exploring the vast world. Would highly recommend for anyone who enjoyed the previous GTAs.
  72. Sep 18, 2013
    Simply put, GTA V improves upon what has worked in the past and gives us more than enough to keep things fresh. From the polish, to the content, to the detail, to the storyline there's not much this game doesn't have mastered. I could go on and on about the things i do like but i think it's better if i go through what i don't like... nothing. GTA V is a prime example of a company puttingSimply put, GTA V improves upon what has worked in the past and gives us more than enough to keep things fresh. From the polish, to the content, to the detail, to the storyline there's not much this game doesn't have mastered. I could go on and on about the things i do like but i think it's better if i go through what i don't like... nothing. GTA V is a prime example of a company putting time and effort into their game. Just like Bethesda, Rockstar is one of the few video game companies left that takes pride in their product and goes above and beyond expectations. There is no doubt in my mind GTA V is the best game of the Xbox 360 era and most certainly the best GTA to date. Once again Rockstar sets new standards and puts everyone else to shame. Expand
  73. Sep 18, 2013
    Best game i ever played in my entire life! story is really amazing gameplay is straight out amazing there's not is enough words that can describe on how amazing this game really is. i give it a 10/10 Best Game Of The Decade
  74. Sep 18, 2013
    Anyone that is giving this game a poor score is a complete deluded hipster, this game is an absolute masterpiece and i've only been playing it for one day!! It looks amazing, it's so funny, some of the videos had me in stitches especially lamar. The cars drive properly and everywhere you go there is something going on it feels like a real world. Hats off to rockstar for not sellingAnyone that is giving this game a poor score is a complete deluded hipster, this game is an absolute masterpiece and i've only been playing it for one day!! It looks amazing, it's so funny, some of the videos had me in stitches especially lamar. The cars drive properly and everywhere you go there is something going on it feels like a real world. Hats off to rockstar for not selling themselves out with false promises becuase this delivers on every aspect. Expand
  75. Sep 18, 2013
    One of the greatest games I've played in my life. The massive scale of the world along with the story make for a ridiculous amount of things to do. How can people say that they added nothing new? The three character story is something I haven't seen before and makes for a dynamic story. the improved shooting and driving makes the game feel so much better than gta4.
  76. Sep 18, 2013
    It is certainly the MOTHER OF ALL GAMES. The game of the century, that's until GTA 6 comes out but this is definitely the BEST game on earth.The graphics are amazing and the feel of the game play especially when driving is fantastic. There is so much detail about every small little thing! Rockstar have been making amazing games and this a BLOCKBUSTER.
  77. Sep 18, 2013
    I bet with all of you that 80% of the people who low-rated this game never played it before. It's kind of funny how they blame this masterpiece because there's no good arguments. Just some haters doing what they do best: hating something.

To say: this game is amazing at all. All its details are well designed: the story, the map, the atmosphere, the cars... EVERYTHING! This game will

This game will be the GOTY 2013 easily because everything deserves it and this isn't overrating, okay?

Play this game with your mind open, feels the entertainment inside you and then you'll understand how amazing this game is.

Rockstar, two things that I want to say to you: thanks and congratulations!
  78. Sep 18, 2013
    I have to say this game is amazing so far. Im about 8 missions into the game and the dialogue has had me laughing at every conversation. The map is outstanding as well. With so much to explore im definitely not going to be doing homework for a while. I would like to address the complaints about the fps rate and the textures
    People we are playing on 7 year old hardware. Amazingly enough
    People we are playing on 7 year old hardware. Amazingly enough the game isnt freezing on me with the outstanding graphics.
    Another thing is people complaining about it not being corely for the pc. Theres obviously a reason and its MONEY! Its basically a no brainer to core it for xbox and playstation. I dont blame them. I have a monster pc and i would personally rather play this on the xbox then pc. (my opinion)

Overall this game is outstanding and i cant wait for the sleepless nights and skipped classes.
  79. Sep 18, 2013
    This game is so freaking good. Its pathetic of some people to rate this game low because it's not on pc yet, basically they havent played it. I will get this game on pc if it makes its way onto it however it is not a reason to rate it low.
  80. Sep 18, 2013
    Simply the best game on this generation. Its so much fun to play this game, it never gets boring and you can do everything and anything! Best GTA ever, and probably the best game ever. You just must have it! There’s no better time than this to use the word masterwork: Rockstar did a colossal job creating a huge, visually stunning world chiseled in its finest details, populated by brilliantSimply the best game on this generation. Its so much fun to play this game, it never gets boring and you can do everything and anything! Best GTA ever, and probably the best game ever. You just must have it! There’s no better time than this to use the word masterwork: Rockstar did a colossal job creating a huge, visually stunning world chiseled in its finest details, populated by brilliant characters and with highly spectacular and varied gameplay. the city is spectaular and massive it would take solid days to explore, i just cant stress enough how amazing this game is, five years well spent i say! Expand
  81. Sep 18, 2013
    After playing this game for 10 minutes i couldnt help but fondle my nuts. Me and ma boi Jow also known as hottdawg hit up da streetz itz da 1 tym. If you like Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance, you will love this game. Fantastic local couch play with 1-4 players. Its nice to find another game in this genre combining the local co-op again. So much loot and monsters to kill; its never ending fun
  82. Sep 18, 2013
    First of all, the main reason this game is getting over 100 negative user reviews is probably because of PC "master racers" who are pissed that for once the consoles got this GLORIOUS game before they did (to them, I say get over it; you'll get a half assed PC port soon enough that you can mod the living daylights out of eventually. Shut up and let us enjoy our 360s and PS3s for onceFirst of all, the main reason this game is getting over 100 negative user reviews is probably because of PC "master racers" who are pissed that for once the consoles got this GLORIOUS game before they did (to them, I say get over it; you'll get a half assed PC port soon enough that you can mod the living daylights out of eventually. Shut up and let us enjoy our 360s and PS3s for once without you all over yourselves). That said, this is also one of the few times I'd give a game a perfect score: there is so much to do in this game, there is so much detail in this world and every single object in it (buildings, cars, people, the writing; it just goes on), and I've yet to find a single activity that I haven't enjoyed (aside from a slightly annoying GPS and menu system). Is for mature audiences? Yes. Is used so often in conversation that white people are going to have to retrain themselves for when it's acceptable to use that word? OH yes. Is it also something that demands your respect, and that you can tell Rockstar poured their souls into making it as good as possible? YES. And with GTA Online coming two weeks from the original release (and time of writing), I highly doubt that gamers are going to stop talking about this anytime soon. Expand
  83. Sep 18, 2013
    Wow best game ever
    Rockstar Game's best release ever It has a great narrative, tight gameplay and a fantastic soundtrack. It's everything you could want from a Rockstar game and more! Game of the year and quite possibly the game of this generation
  84. Sep 18, 2013
    Well lived up to the pre-launch hype, I've played for a healthy amount of time now to be able to say that this game is a huge step up from anything we've seen on the current generation of Hardware. The scale of the world is huge and everything about it is dynamic and a big step forwards.

The driving physics (air, land and water) is much improved from previous GTA games. Hopefully

Hopefully this game will set the bar for future AAA titles.

Whilst I'm not a 'PC Fanboy' I do primarily play PC titles, so I hope to see it there soon so the modding community can take a stab at it, however the game runs perfectly well on the current generation of consoles, so there is nothing to worry about there.
  85. Sep 18, 2013
    Rockstar has done it again. I will definitely be buying all the DLC and playing this amazing game for months to come. I'm not sure why there are so many low reviews but I guess haters gotta hate
  86. Sep 18, 2013
    Gta V is really cool game. Do not listen to those who put a low score. This is the best GTA games in the series.
    (Sorry for mistakes, my english is very bad).
  87. Sep 18, 2013
    I've waited years for this. This is not a game, this is an experience. My life has just been upgraded thanks to this masterpiece. This is the best thing that's ever happened to me since Friday night, when I managed to pull some bird that's 10 years older than me and smash her back doors in and she crapped all over the place. True story. Fun times. Peace out. QJ.
  88. Sep 18, 2013
    if we don't stay on usual criticism you can see that GTA V is actually made very well to this concern the maps and the game world. For my opinion the only limit of the game is that was developed for old generation console and from here born the limitation attributed at the game. Maybe the storitelling is not so deep but for me in this kind of games it not so important. Surely on oldif we don't stay on usual criticism you can see that GTA V is actually made very well to this concern the maps and the game world. For my opinion the only limit of the game is that was developed for old generation console and from here born the limitation attributed at the game. Maybe the storitelling is not so deep but for me in this kind of games it not so important. Surely on old generation console is not possible to do of better. How was said the developers have used each bit of might and generally have succeeded to get a good successor of GTA4. No one can say that was not added many more characteristics and detail. however many more than GTA4! My rating is 8 because however there are some "bug" but generally is a good game for this console generation. I think that is one of better open world game until now if we look the items and detail of the map of game. Expand
  89. Sep 18, 2013
    An absolute triumph and the best open-world game this gen.

Rockstar has always been great creatively. Great stories, dialogue, characters, soundtracks, presentation etc. All that has always been great in GTA and still is in GTA V. But where V differs from past games is in the mechanics. Gone is the slippery driving from GTA IV, or the crappy lock-on combat from the PS2 games.
    An absolute triumph and the best open-world game this gen.

But where V differs from past games is in the mechanics. Gone is the slippery driving from GTA IV, or the crappy lock-on combat from the PS2 games. Everything has been updated and finely tuned. Whether you're driving, fighting or running around on foot. Everything feels fluid and painless.

Toss in the best and most varied set of missions the series has ever seen with three fascinating protagonists and you've got a hell of a send off for these consoles. Bravo Rockstar.
  90. Sep 18, 2013
    I hate these retards giving it a low score just because it's not for pc, I mean come on! This game is amazing with superb graphics, a great story and interesting missions with replay value. It's a huge detailed world which is satisfying to explore.
  91. Sep 17, 2013
    A way to say goodbye to this generation. This game capatalizes on everything we've learned and enjoyed during this generation. A masterpiece and obvious contender for best video game of all time.... That will be decided when GTA Online is released and the real fun starts... great time to be a gamer.
  92. Sep 17, 2013
    for those who give 0's and 3's, please check yourselves in a mental institute, do something good for mankind!! this game is the new benchmark for open world games, if not the best open world game of this generation and previous too. the only downside for me is, this game is so packed with content and my time to play isnt ilimited, i started to play and looked at the clock, it was 9hfor those who give 0's and 3's, please check yourselves in a mental institute, do something good for mankind!! this game is the new benchmark for open world games, if not the best open world game of this generation and previous too. the only downside for me is, this game is so packed with content and my time to play isnt ilimited, i started to play and looked at the clock, it was 9h later..... and i barely did 6 out of 69 main missions xD i see many PC gamers just being juvenile, well i do own a high-end PC too, ps3 too and obviously 360, but when i hear "pc is huge market" well........ it proves the ignorance..... yes PC is hardware superior, no doubts but as gaming platform it have a very tiny slice, meanwhile you see games selling 3/5m on each console platform, on PC you'll see 200k PC is expensive to build and its very troublesome regarding bugs and glitches....... Expand
  93. Sep 17, 2013
    I had to make an account just for this game and its underrated user score. This game is a perfect 10, one of the best games I've played in my life and infinitely better than Gta IV that i never could smother up the interest too finish. Game world is full of small details that bring the world to life, the characters are lively, believable and very well built. Trevor is one of the mostI had to make an account just for this game and its underrated user score. This game is a perfect 10, one of the best games I've played in my life and infinitely better than Gta IV that i never could smother up the interest too finish. Game world is full of small details that bring the world to life, the characters are lively, believable and very well built. Trevor is one of the most memorable characters in the history of gaming, Humor does not fall flat. Game play elements are excellent and no mission has bored me. But the DETAILS. That's what is key. I watched a whole episode of Fame or Shame in-game. Thats how deep GTA V sucked me in Expand
  94. Sep 17, 2013
    This.Game.Is.Great.The open world and new mechanics add a lot more depth into the game.The characters in the game are great and the world is huge.Even when your done with the game there is still so much to do and with the release of online coming soon why get a next gen console.Your gonna get hooked for months.Quick side note:To all the naysayers of this game play it before you rate it andThis.Game.Is.Great.The open world and new mechanics add a lot more depth into the game.The characters in the game are great and the world is huge.Even when your done with the game there is still so much to do and with the release of online coming soon why get a next gen console.Your gonna get hooked for months.Quick side note:To all the naysayers of this game play it before you rate it and then write a review.You give zeroes yet you don't know what its like because you have a pc.What ever its on doesn't effect it and will never effect it.So basically what im saying is don't rate the damn game unless you have actually played it. Expand
  95. Sep 17, 2013
    My xbox is modded and i never buy games legally because i dont want to feel cheated out of my money. But i actually pre- ordered this and paid full price. This is by far the best game ever. Far exceeded my expectations. I dont even care for the next generation consoles becuase of this game. Its a shame because no other company can make a game as great as this. Its like Why continue makingMy xbox is modded and i never buy games legally because i dont want to feel cheated out of my money. But i actually pre- ordered this and paid full price. This is by far the best game ever. Far exceeded my expectations. I dont even care for the next generation consoles becuase of this game. Its a shame because no other company can make a game as great as this. Its like Why continue making games if they're not gonna be as good as this? Expand
  96. Sep 17, 2013
    Okay so I've been playing this game for a whole day straight, I never got bored for a millisecond. The vehicle handling has improved like crazy. Unlike GTA IV, that had a glimpse of repeating the same thing in missions (just a glimpse) but this game has 0 out of 10 when it comes to repeating stuff, there's a lot to do (a lot). Missions are exiting, sometimes, in cut scenes I felt like I'mOkay so I've been playing this game for a whole day straight, I never got bored for a millisecond. The vehicle handling has improved like crazy. Unlike GTA IV, that had a glimpse of repeating the same thing in missions (just a glimpse) but this game has 0 out of 10 when it comes to repeating stuff, there's a lot to do (a lot). Missions are exiting, sometimes, in cut scenes I felt like I'm watching a good comic-action-thriller film, it's written incredibly smart. The game looks gorgeous, it's one of those games that will blow your mind, even on old 8 year old consoles. Loading screens are a bit long, but it's really nothing that should really bother you. The game is smooth, runs great, my console worked hard all day because I've been playing this all day, but nothing has changed, the game is still smooth and beautiful. The detail in Los Santos is amazing, it's hard to believe the game is only 16 GBs. The 'three protagonists' idea is works like a charm, and its' very funny sometimes. Character customization, is good, you don't have a lot to choose from when it comes to haircuts and beards (maybe some will be unlocked later in the game) but clothes look good on you, there's no texture problems and the choose is very colorful. And now for the characters: Michael, is a miserable, rich, family man, with a horrible shrink. He is suffering his 'midlife crisis' or 'family hatred'. He has his skill similar to Max Payne's 'bullet time'. (and you can actually make him look like Max Payne) Franklin is a CJ type gangster, his special skill is he can slow time while driving, and handle VERY well. And finally Trevor, he is a psychopath, absolutely crazy, I think the most ridiculous character the open world genre has ever seen. Mercy is not on his vocabulary. His special skill is to go crazy! He can take less damage and deal a lot more damage, while the screen is red, and you can hear him screaming out of joy.

So I think I covered everything I could, this game is just loads of fun, everyone should get it, whether you are a shooter type guy, a driver, or just a looker at the graphics, I give this game a 10/10 with joy, Rockstar has done it again.
  97. Sep 17, 2013
    First review and first time being on the site. It is really amazing how many immature babies are on here "reviewing" the game. No wonder PC players get a bad wrap when you have a small amount of ppl who act like complete kindergartners. I always hear how they are happy to be playing on PC because they don't have to deal with lil kids playing COD and screaming on the mics but wow you guysFirst review and first time being on the site. It is really amazing how many immature babies are on here "reviewing" the game. No wonder PC players get a bad wrap when you have a small amount of ppl who act like complete kindergartners. I always hear how they are happy to be playing on PC because they don't have to deal with lil kids playing COD and screaming on the mics but wow you guys seem to act like the same lil kids. Giving the game a 0 because its not on PC yet lmao, how sad.

Game deserves all the praise it gets. Easily the best GTA game Rockstar has made, they have improved in every way from GTA 4. The gunplay, the melee combat, the driving, THE WORLD. From jump you automatically see how much more beautiful and different Los Santos is from Liberty City. Still have so much more to play,.

I'm giving it a 10/10 and we still have GTA Online in a few weeks. Could easily go up to 11.
  98. Sep 17, 2013
    It really doesn't get any better than this. The world has changed a lot since GTA IV and this game is again ahead of its time. People who vote 0 because its not on PC etc should have votes removed by moderators and allow people with xbox version to vote on it.
  99. Sep 17, 2013
    Not sure why this has a low userscore, must be SR or old GTA trolls but this game is THE best open world game out there.

Its like SA on massive roids, so much more than a hd remake. 10/10 One small note is that gta online isnt out yet so its a shame we have to wait 2 weeks for that but its going to be awesome i am sure. PS3 version is flawless not one bug and runs 30fps+ 720p

Its like SA on massive roids, so much more than a hd remake.

PS3 version is flawless not one bug and runs 30fps+ 720p native which is VERY good for a gta game on any platform
  100. Sep 17, 2013

1. Dec 12, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto V offers one of the best sandbox experiences ever, filled to the brink with stuff to do. The vistas are magnificent and amazing stuff just seems to happen wherever you go. But at the same time the story is tired and the characters unoriginal. Your appreciation of Grand Theft Auto V will depend of what you want out of the series. The freedom and joy of discovery is hard to beat but the rest still has some ways left to go.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    GTA V continues the game series' tradition of raising the bar for open world action games.
  3. Nov 5, 2013
    Tons of gameplay hours, plenty of missions and activities with an awesome collection of vehicles of various modes of transportation and a large array of firearms put the grandeur once again into Grand Theft Auto.