8.1

1. Jan 23, 2014
    Rightly or wrongly GTA IV has come in for a fair amount of criticism over the last of couple of years. It is clear from the outset that Rockstar have looked to address the majority of the issues raised with regards to the previous entry in the series and, for the most part, they have been successful at doing so. One big change is that, with three separate characters to control, the developers have decided to take things much less seriously. Very few missions now involve simply driving to a location, shooting the bad guys, and then driving back for example. New ideas and concepts are introduced constantly throughout the game providing greater variety of missions, some of which are truly outlandish and great fun to play. The driving and shooting mechanics, which have never been the series strongest assets, have also seen a significant overhaul making for a vast improvement in the minute to minute gameplay.

If I was to nitpick I would have two small areas that I found slightly disappointing. The first is the music as, despite a selection of around 15 radio stations to choose, from I found very few songs that I wanted to listen to. I accept this will of course be down to personal preference but a bit more variety wouldn’t have gone amiss. My second criticism would be the fact that the story is completely linear. I wasn’t expecting the freedom of choice afforded by games like Mass Effect but it would have been nice to have some say in a few of the decisions being made by my characters (other than the A or B option given when tackling heists of course). In the end though these nitpicks, and the fact that its not overly different to its predecessors, can’t detract from what is certainly a top notch single player experience.

As for the online mode, well for me at least, it doesn’t really deliver on its promise. Exploring the city with friends and competing in races and deathmatches, as well as working together to tackle a number of co-op missions, provides a far more substantial experience than many games but it is often just more frustrating than fun. Setting aside the significant early problems the there are just too many issues to have to deal with. Whether it be people continually spawn killing you for no reason (safe mode doesn’t work as you can still be killed when in a vehicle or when someone runs you over), being unable to join friends missions or online hackers giving themselves millions of dollars and/or making themselves invincible I quickly found I simply couldn’t be bothered with it.

This of course doesn’t detract from the main game, and it could be a good few years until we see anything as ambitious or with such scope on the next gen consoles. Save your money and buy GTA V instead, you won’t regret it.
  2. Mar 5, 2014
    screw gta 4 this one is better . and i love it but gta 4 is 99% great i love the gta 5 the characters in gta 5 are great . and a whole new level of awsome .
  3. Sep 25, 2013
    GTA5 is fabulous, magical and wonderfully exciting. Surely stands as one or if not the best in the franchise that changed the world of gaming. Great game.
  4. Oct 3, 2013
    Proxy review, Lad played it said it was like driver. In that their was more driving than shooting, he finished it in two days. He Rated it as the worst GTA ever and over hyped. Watch him play, couldn't muster the motivation to play it myself meh, Thank the stars for trade-ins.
  5. Feb 18, 2014
    I always really disliked the GTA franchise, however, I gave GTA V a shot and I have not regretted it. With a very well executed storyline, gameplay (offline and online), and so much more, GTA V is without a doubt a pure masterpiece of a video game
  6. Sep 24, 2013
    There's alot to love here and there is a reason why they are projecting for this game to actually slow the sales of the next generation of consoles for at least a year or so. GTA V is the most ambitious game ever made. The size of the city and the amount of stuff you can do is literally mind blowing. I have never had so many things to do at once in a video game. It can be a bit overwhelming once you get past the first part of the game so it's best to take it in spurts. Everything is done very well. The gameplay is basically the same as past GTA games. You do missions, steal cars, shoot people with a large assortment of guns. On top of being able to play tennis and darts and do yoga, there's so much to do here you can be entertained for weeks.

The issue I have with the game is the backseat that the story and some of the characters took. The story is one of the weakest I've seen in a GTA game. For a series that prided itself on its ability to tell a story in the past, this game really drops the ball. Beyond a vague message about American Corruption and the Greed inside us all, there's literally nothing else here beyond "find a dude, do a mission for that dude, and not get paid by that dude, leading to you eventually killing that dude." This happens more times than I can count in this game with the only goal for all the characters in the game is to make money. The characters are ok, with Trevor definitely being the star of the show. Franklin is your stereotypical gangster looking get out of the hood and Micheal is a washed up has been who doesn't know the meaning of the words "character development." Frankly I was supremely disappointed with the story aspects of this game. Nothing ever caught my interest and I felt like I have while playing past GTA clones, working through boring missions just to get to the next one. It feels like Rockstar bypassed alot of the story elements to make the game as grand and expansive as possible. While that's not too terrible of a thing to do, it really hurt its overall value to me, someone who values all those story elements more than anything else. I was bored by the story in this game. Fortunately there was other stuff to do around it.

This game will win GotY, even if I feel like Bioshock or Last of Us would be more deserving. But there's a ton of appeal here and, like the selfish, greedy Americans they make fun of in this game, everyone from the ages of 12-42 will gobble this up like food to a starving man. This game is not bad by any means but it's nowhere near as good as it might have been had they not blown pretty much the entire budget on making the world finding stuff to do in it. All I know is I had a good time with it, but will I make it my game of choice for any longer than the week it took me to play through it? No, it will not.
  7. Feb 1, 2014
    Very disappointing. The missions are not as exciting as previous games in the series, and this was meant to be the best in the series. The graphics are good, but graphics don't make a game. The story is bad, the cutscenes are too varied in length and GTA Online is the only good bit other than the graphics. Plus the 360 version has a lot of glitches.
  8. Sep 19, 2013
    The best GTA game so far. From going underwater to starting a business to endless pedestrian killing, this game never loses fun and is a legend in sandbox gaming.
  9. Oct 2, 2013
    It's hard to write a review for a game like this. On one hand all I really need to do is. Umm... 10. Problem solved right? But.... I have to fill a word requirement. So all I have to say is: well, okay I don't know. Am I there yet? This is the greatest open world/city ever. It beats skyrim because it contains an actual CITY, not just a beautiful land. Am I there yet?
  10. Oct 20, 2013
    this is pretty much the best game I've ever played in my entire life, gta v can be better than any game in the series or any game ever released,definetely the best game on this generation.
  11. Nov 2, 2013
    [8.7] It isn't constantly exciting like Grand Theft Auto IV, but it has some amazing moments. Despite the massive amount to do in the game, and a great (yet uneasy), multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V isn't quite what it should have been. Some major mechanics feel like they could use a complete change, or are better of staying similar to their equivalents in Grand Theft Auto IV (which had nearly perfect mechanics). Driving is incredibly restrictive, and doing stunts is nearly impossible. It's very difficult to even get your car off the ground, plus, cars control like they would in racing games, which Grand Theft Auto isn't. It's far to easy drive, and often boring. The combat system could also be more of a challenge. In GTA IV, you actually had to monitor your health, and try as hard as possible not to get shot, which added an incredible intensity to the game, which they seem to completely get rid of with the health regeneration. If you are one who needs health packs, there are plenty conveniently placed ones everywhere, whereas in GTA IV, they were placed in discrete locations. The lack of difficulty also makes GTA V seem much, much shorter than it actually is, and finishing takes much less time than finishing GTA IV did. Despite some major detrimental flaws, somehow, GTA V is still a very good game. Biking up Mount Chiliad, flying a jet through downtown Los Santos, partaking in the many activities across Los Santos, and exploring and discovering a massive world help us remember that Rockstar is focused on delivering quality, but is seems this time around they have mistaken quality for quantity. Nonetheless, Grand Theft Auto V is what it is: a good game. Expand
  12. Sep 17, 2013
    GTA V shows that Rockstar still has plenty gas left in the tank with the GTA franchise. The map is HUGE (I still wish they had Las Venturas from San Andreas. [But I digress...]), the graphics are not the best, but nonetheless they are very good, and all of the main characters (Michael, Franklin, and Trevor) are fun to play as in their own way. Michael gives you the luxury life, Franklin gives you the gangster life, and Trevor gives you the crazy life. Not to mention that the amount of activities are limitless. You will be hooked for months on end. The story absolutely beats the stories of the previous installments, including GTA IV (along with its DLCs) and San Andreas. The story is deep and extremely fun to play. Customization has been improved greatly, with customizable cars, tatoos, and players in GTA Online. Speaking of Online, this game has all of the great modes from GTA IV, along with a much deeper and fun experience in free mode.
    Overall, this game is the best GTA game ever, rockstar's best game ever, Xbox 360s best game ever, one of the best games from this generation, and even one of the best games ever made. I was proud that I had pre-ordered and purchased this game in every way possible. This is, without much doubt, the best game I have ever played...
  13. May 30, 2014
    Great, massive, overwhelming, impressive, all round game. swimming, running, driving, shooting. and everything you can wish. Gta needs no introduction, Amazing experiences worth bullet loads of cash! Rock star games has a winner right here! Bigger and better than any previous Gta. The gaming heaven. You're not playing this game for a emotional story. however a laugh, some fun and some seriously fu*ked up characters to go along with. Expand
  14. Jun 1, 2014
    A really great game. This story was fantastic and difficult to keep you playing for a long time. The characters are what made the game. Trevor is just so crazy he was so entertaining to watch and use as a playable character. The only criticism are the load times are long and the online isn't amazing, still a fantastic game. It was worth the wait.
  15. Dec 17, 2013
    VERY LINEAR missions and progression. Just a huge theme park to drive arround, it's fun, but when you're forced to torture a guy with multiple tools, I just turned off the console and never played it again.
  16. Sep 26, 2013
    I held off reviewing this game untill today because I truly wanted to experience everything the game had. I wanted to get emotionally involved with the characters, I wanted to get absorbed in the storyline, I wanted to laugh at the crazy antics, I wanted to see the vast array of missions, I wanted to see what the game as a whole had to offer. And let me tell you when I say this game is an outstanding success in every way. My personal experiences with GTA games haven't gone great, I've always felt that the majority of them were clunky pieces of design which were often over rated and irritating to play. But with GTA V, they've completely flattened out any issues with the other games I had and generally improved it in other things. We're not just talking about one of the best games ever, what we're experiencing here is one of the most amazing feats of interactive entertainment in the modern era. Nothing I've played video game wise, watched film wise or interacted with entertainment wise, has had me more involved or entertained then what this game did. Of course there are times where it's a bit crazy and it pushed the boat a bit far, but this game ISN'T designed for kids it really is that simple. A fantastic bow out for this generation of consoles. 10/10 for me. Expand
  17. Jul 14, 2014
    Grand Theft Auto V is a very wise game and probably the best of its franchise, the character switch is very smart, this game reminded me a lot of a 1995 heist film called Heat starring Robert De Niro and Al Pacino
  18. Sep 17, 2013
    This is the game of the decade, and I mean it! There is nothing that is not perfect in this game! Maybe the storyline if you're not familiar with the goofy nature of the series, but I'm making this review for Open-world fans. This game is perfect. Perfect. I have been trying so hard to find something to criticise but I just can't. GTA V is the game you have been waiting for, everyone! Go and buy it if you haven't already.

P.S: It's pathetic to rate a game 0 just because it's available on your gameing platform.
  19. Oct 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Concept: Create a very well-rounded Grand Theft Auto sequel, using elements and past experience gained from the production and development of nearly every other Rockstar game and franchise.

Graphics: Breathtakingly beautiful.

Sound: While you'll no doubt hear the radio stations the most in terms of sound bytes, the voice work is pretty good, and the actual musical scores are appropriately placed as well.

Playability: Quite playable, and quite enjoyable in all portions of gameplay. Easy to handle, fluid, and responsive at the same time. A perfect medley of combat and other action maneuvers.

Entertainment: With literally over one hundred hours of time to be spent doing everything from motorcross to tennis, you need to get out there and see the world instead of asking questions about it. There are very few limitations.

Replay Value: Sky-High.

Overall Score: 9.5
  20. Oct 6, 2013
    This was an amazing game, I loved almost everything about it.though the glitches where hilarious as heck,like shark swimming on the beach.

Rating's

Graphics *****
    Gameplay *****
    Sound *****
    Lasting appeal *****

[Flawless you ask I think not]

This game could hit game of the month,but watch dogs still looks like a great challenge.
  21. Sep 17, 2013
    Serious butthurt from some PC fanboys here. Why? I'm mainly a PC gamer, but I do have a console and well, I bought this game. It's perfect. It might not be if you care too much about graphics, but I personally don't, and they're amazing for a game this big running on a 7 years old hardware anyway. This game is massive, ambitious, beautiful, funny. Everything. This game is almost perfect. Buy it ASAP! Expand
  22. Apr 4, 2014
    Grand Theft Auto V, along with Grand Theft Auto Online, is a great package. The single player is engrossing and epic. The multiplayer will keep you busy for hours. The attention to detail is unbelievable. All must play this game.
  23. Apr 15, 2014
    YAHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS WERK IT **** YOU FABULOUS WHORE. I **** LOVE THIS GAME ITS SO MUCH FUN TO RUN OVER WHORES ALL DAY. It's a fun game. You should play it.
  24. Oct 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GTA 5 is not perfect for sure, but I never played any games greater than it, so here goes the 10 score. None of the 0 or 1 scores/reviews makes sense to me, this game is a masterpiece no matter how you look at it. I have so high expectation in this game before release, and normally when you expected too much you will get disappointed; however, the quality of this game is beyond my imagination and I am happy with it. I am not a fanboy, there are tons of things I think can be improved in this game, but you have to admit that what Rockstar have achieved here is a technique magic.
    The other day I watched a review video, two guys in the video complained about implementing Tennis/Golf mini games in GTA 5, said no one cares about them and they just wanted to do more illegal things. Seems like it is impossible to make a change and satisfy everyone now days.
  25. Oct 18, 2013
    an amazing sandbox
    but its has a lot of recycle elements of rockstar games
    its too realistic but who cares?
    its better than grand theft auto iv but its not as good
    as san andreas or vice city
    rockstar rules!!!
  26. Sep 22, 2013
    God please forgive who didn't give a 10, they only wanted to get attention, one of the greatest games ever made and there's people giving a 0, what's wrong, wtf?
  27. Sep 20, 2013
    Now on about the 40th main story mission (stolen the last of 5 cars for a dude) plus done a lot of the "freaks" and other content. After buying 4 back in 2008, and giving up on it inside 90 minutes (I still think it's rubbish I have no sympathy for Niko and hated playing as him. In fact I would love to have played someone to shoot him in the face and end the game then and there when you really despise the character you're playing it's hard to play at all) this game is a complete turn around. Some of the missions are just unbelievable, the size and scope is amazing. Yeah the AI for something this size isn't perfect everywhere, but the gameplay mechanics are fabulous. I'm a PC games, and this is only the second action game I've ever bothered with on console (I much prefer mouse and keyboard most of the time) this is up there is not better than Red Dead (which is the other game I played). The story is hilarious mostly a couple of nasty bits, but mostly really funny. You get to like even the psychotic characters a little.
    Remember this is the "taster" the single player game is the entree to what's coming in a few days. People talk about the game that will topple Warcraft as an MMO? This is it.
    No bull when GTA Online comes out based on this play set this theme park... and with all the other items that are going live and planned over the next 12 months for Online this is the game that will finally challenge WoW for online numbers. And yes expect to pay a little for it either in micro transactions or a sub (probably the former).

My only puzzle is why bring it out on 2 consoles that are going to be obsolete 8 weeks later? Really odd choice. Am I going to have to keep my 360 and PS3 out alongside my Xbox1 and PS4 just to play this game (as neither console offers backwards compatibility)

The other thing here is, AAA studios bringing out GFX candy and open world action games for the new consoles have a benchmark to beat. Hell I can see the reviews now "How come this PS4 game has worse GFX and less to do than GTA V which is a last gen game"?

Conversations like that are going to be all over the place after November 2013 for the next 12 months at least. That's how high GTA 5 sets the bar.
  28. Jan 9, 2014
    This is Rockstar doing what they do best but I feel they didn't push the boundaries as much as they have in the past. They have such a good record with innovation and fun that expectations were very high and I don't believe they were met, I mean where is the jet pack? The online service does give Rockstar the opportunity to add things and this could help the game stand the test of time and also really let the players loose with new toys, like a jet pack! Overall I believe this game misses out on a 10 because, for me, there was a real lack of colourful characters to do missions for and I don't believe the story campaign was as long as previous instalments, saying that, the improvements they have made since gta4 make the game just as fun as any other gta and is well worth owning. Expand
  29. Mar 24, 2014
    The evolution of living breathing virtual worlds is incredible. Even if you don't care about the story and all you want to do is absorb the atmosphere, drive around and go sightseeing, then still this game is worth your time. Free roaming in GTA 5 is like going on a virtual vacation.
  30. Sep 17, 2013
    Is the GTA most comprehensive of all and the best yet, a video game made ​​to dismiss this generation of consoles, the best game of this generation, a masterpiece.

1. Dec 12, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto V offers one of the best sandbox experiences ever, filled to the brink with stuff to do. The vistas are magnificent and amazing stuff just seems to happen wherever you go. But at the same time the story is tired and the characters unoriginal. Your appreciation of Grand Theft Auto V will depend of what you want out of the series. The freedom and joy of discovery is hard to beat but the rest still has some ways left to go.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    GTA V continues the game series' tradition of raising the bar for open world action games.
  3. Nov 5, 2013
    Tons of gameplay hours, plenty of missions and activities with an awesome collection of vehicles of various modes of transportation and a large array of firearms put the grandeur once again into Grand Theft Auto.