8.1

1. Sep 17, 2013
    (both versions) GTA has plenty of issues with the pop-in textures and clipping texture quality during its cut scenes. The draw distance is of an issue on both consoles however its good that the detail in terms of shapes are still in tact. This definitely shows the limitations of the current gen consoles and is by far the reason we need the next to come out.

It is these reasons why this

It is these reasons why this game does not deserve a perfect 10 much like the last of us, there are problems in the game which should never be overlooked when reviewing a game regardless if you love the game or not
  2. Sep 18, 2013
    One of the greatest games I've played in my life. The massive scale of the world along with the story make for a ridiculous amount of things to do. How can people say that they added nothing new? The three character story is something I haven't seen before and makes for a dynamic story. the improved shooting and driving makes the game feel so much better than gta4.
  3. Sep 17, 2013
    Its a great game. Not the second coming. It doesn't have many new features but has refined the GTA IV formula perfectly. This is clearly the peak of the hardware platforms as graphically it struggles to pull off its ambition. Technically its superb but I keep thinking that it is a damn shame they had to 'tech down'.

Best game ever? no, but it could have been a 'Best gamer ever? Yes!' if

Best game ever? no, but it could have been a 'Best gamer ever? Yes!' if it was on newer hardware.

But everyone should experience this cool, smart and HUGE world.

4. Sep 17, 2013
    Been playing it for about 6 hours now the game has an incredible open world the best i have ever seen in a game but the story and characters have let this game done completely for me. The script for the characters has not been good at all with them repeating insults and words its just gets old and boring. The characters really are not interesting to me and i really dont care for them. TheBeen playing it for about 6 hours now the game has an incredible open world the best i have ever seen in a game but the story and characters have let this game done completely for me. The script for the characters has not been good at all with them repeating insults and words its just gets old and boring. The characters really are not interesting to me and i really dont care for them. The driving still is frustrating and the shooting mechanics are not as solid as max payne 3. But the game is tons of fun Expand
  5. Sep 17, 2013
    This game is by far the best of the GTA-games. It's BIG world, play area or what you want to call it is enormous. Great story, even if it isn't that originell... but I guess it's quite hard to think of something that hasn't been done before. Everything is cliché today.
  6. Sep 17, 2013
    This game is the best game i ever played! Everything in this game is just (near) perfect!!
    The graphics, the artwork, the soundtrack, the gameplay, the characters, just about everything you can imagine. But why are you reading this, go play GTA V now!!!
  7. Sep 17, 2013
    With most things in life, the anticipation exceeds the actual enjoyment of the experience. I knew coming into the game, that must be true here as well. Damn was I wrong. This game exceeds every expectation I had, in spades. GTA 5 is a true masterpiece in every sense of the word. It's hard to describe such an experience with words. It's a game you really have to play just to get an idea ofWith most things in life, the anticipation exceeds the actual enjoyment of the experience. I knew coming into the game, that must be true here as well. Damn was I wrong. This game exceeds every expectation I had, in spades. GTA 5 is a true masterpiece in every sense of the word. It's hard to describe such an experience with words. It's a game you really have to play just to get an idea of how awesome it really is. It's everything you ever wanted an open world game to be and then some. Every aspect of the game from driving to flying to just walking around is fun and thoroughly enjoyable. If you had your doubts, rest assured its every bit as good as it was hyped up to be. And that's saying a lot. Expand
  8. Sep 19, 2013
    I am not kidding when I say that GTA V is the best GTA game ever. It's essentially San Andreas with prettier graphics, awesome heists, and 3 lead characters.
    I wont even say anything else you need to experience GTA V for yourself.
  9. Sep 19, 2013
    I really don't know if I'm playing the same game as some users... I can't imagine how some human being didn't like this game. This is the greatest production I've ever seen in a game. Great history, great characters, best physics ever, fluid gameplay and, well, all that freedom that only GTA brings to us. All the best things of all games of the franchise are present. Congratulations,I really don't know if I'm playing the same game as some users... I can't imagine how some human being didn't like this game. This is the greatest production I've ever seen in a game. Great history, great characters, best physics ever, fluid gameplay and, well, all that freedom that only GTA brings to us. All the best things of all games of the franchise are present. Congratulations, Rockstar. You made it... again! Expand
  10. Sep 22, 2013
    Just an amazing game. To rate this at anything less than the 10 it deserves is just crazy. I know I will be playing this for hundreds of hours past the single player story (which is great itself). Is this just GTA4 times 10 in HD? Maybe, but that is saying a lot! The truth is that it's much bigger and better in every way. This could very easily be the greatest game of this generationJust an amazing game. To rate this at anything less than the 10 it deserves is just crazy. I know I will be playing this for hundreds of hours past the single player story (which is great itself). Is this just GTA4 times 10 in HD? Maybe, but that is saying a lot! The truth is that it's much bigger and better in every way. This could very easily be the greatest game of this generation of consoles. Expand
  11. Sep 19, 2013
    Truly a fantastic achievement by Rockstar games. It's a phenomenal experience and anyone who's played any of the previous games should definitely be playing this. I was skeptical since GTA 4 was a disappointment for me so I didn't buy the game at first but I spent a good amount of time reading user reviews and finally decided to buy. This has the feel of San Andreas all the way and theyTruly a fantastic achievement by Rockstar games. It's a phenomenal experience and anyone who's played any of the previous games should definitely be playing this. I was skeptical since GTA 4 was a disappointment for me so I didn't buy the game at first but I spent a good amount of time reading user reviews and finally decided to buy. This has the feel of San Andreas all the way and they have really carried through the successes of Red Dead Redemption into this game by having fun, varied missions which have a cool cinematic feel to them and giving the open world much more weight. I stayed away from the hype surrounding this game but man it really looks like this one delivers on all fronts, if there's any way for you to at least try the game if you haven't already just do it, this one must be experienced. This will undoubtedly be in the top 3 games of this generation of consoles. Going back to play, bye. Expand
  12. Sep 22, 2013
    I have never played a game more immersive or ambitious than Grand Theft Auto V. This is easily not only one of the best video games of this generation, but of all time.
  13. Sep 19, 2013
    Truly raises the bar for sandbox games. Brings us the best of all GTA's combined, especially Vice City and San Andreas. Phenomenal game, I suggest you go out and buy it now or you'll be missing out on an important cultural event in the history of video games.
  14. Sep 22, 2013
    Pretty nice! Awesome graphics, carismatic caracters, nice playability... GTA V did make a new perspective about the actual generation of consoles! Rockstar is great!
  15. Sep 29, 2013
    This is ot just the GTA game, but THE game i've been waiting for. A massive word that feels so alive and with so much to do. Unlike GTA 4, the world is entertaining to explore and interact with, and the single player story does a great job of pulling you in. As great as the game looks on consoles I do hope they release it on the PC soon so we can have a great modding community and moreThis is ot just the GTA game, but THE game i've been waiting for. A massive word that feels so alive and with so much to do. Unlike GTA 4, the world is entertaining to explore and interact with, and the single player story does a great job of pulling you in. As great as the game looks on consoles I do hope they release it on the PC soon so we can have a great modding community and more freedom with graphic options. Expand
  16. May 27, 2014
    after playing watch dogs today i realize that this is a masterpiece, i will play it until it hurts is just awesome, cant wait for a new Rockstar game, they deserve everything they have achieve, so many clones of GTA without any good result, so never betray the original sandbox masters.
  17. Sep 21, 2013
    Best GTA game ever, possibly best game ever. I've never been into GTA. I play them for a few hours and then I'm done. I'm about half way through the game now, still loving it.
  18. Sep 26, 2013
    I held off reviewing this game untill today because I truly wanted to experience everything the game had. I wanted to get emotionally involved with the characters, I wanted to get absorbed in the storyline, I wanted to laugh at the crazy antics, I wanted to see the vast array of missions, I wanted to see what the game as a whole had to offer. And let me tell you when I say this game is anI held off reviewing this game untill today because I truly wanted to experience everything the game had. I wanted to get emotionally involved with the characters, I wanted to get absorbed in the storyline, I wanted to laugh at the crazy antics, I wanted to see the vast array of missions, I wanted to see what the game as a whole had to offer. And let me tell you when I say this game is an outstanding success in every way. My personal experiences with GTA games haven't gone great, I've always felt that the majority of them were clunky pieces of design which were often over rated and irritating to play. But with GTA V, they've completely flattened out any issues with the other games I had and generally improved it in other things. We're not just talking about one of the best games ever, what we're experiencing here is one of the most amazing feats of interactive entertainment in the modern era. Nothing I've played video game wise, watched film wise or interacted with entertainment wise, has had me more involved or entertained then what this game did. Of course there are times where it's a bit crazy and it pushed the boat a bit far, but this game ISN'T designed for kids it really is that simple. A fantastic bow out for this generation of consoles. 10/10 for me. Expand
  19. Sep 20, 2013
    Dear Escapist Magazine Writer,
    Dear Escapist Magazine Writer,
    Get Out. No seriously. Get out of my internet. How dare you say that the reason you don't like this game is because the main characters are "scumbags". The game for gods sake is called Grand Theft Auto, named after a major crime. If you were expecting the main protagonists to be all nice and cuddly, then you should just kill your self now, and leave the rest of the planet more oxygen. How dumb could you be? Believe it or not, the protagonist does not have to be a goddamn model citizen. Anyways, this is my new favorite game. Its just so good. The soundtrack is perfectly picked and the game play is incredible, not to mention how beautiful the game looks. Buy this game Damn it.

P.S. Escapist Magazine is the worst magazine on the planet, as all their writers apparently have down Syndrome. Good Day
  20. Sep 19, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto 5 brings a face lift to the GTA series sending you back to the wild and beautiful San Andreas. Grand Theft Auto 5 never disappoints with its missions or its dialogue. Grand Theft Auto 5 doesn't just have one protagonist but 3! Michael, Franklin and Trevor all very different and unique characters really bring the story alive, The story pulls you in and doesn't let go untilGrand Theft Auto 5 brings a face lift to the GTA series sending you back to the wild and beautiful San Andreas. Grand Theft Auto 5 never disappoints with its missions or its dialogue. Grand Theft Auto 5 doesn't just have one protagonist but 3! Michael, Franklin and Trevor all very different and unique characters really bring the story alive, The story pulls you in and doesn't let go until you're drenched in sweat from excitement. The world is large and beautiful with greatly improved graphics from Grand Theft Auto 4 the magical coding Wizards at Rockstar North have pulled off making one of the best games of all time... Maybe even the best. Expand
  21. Sep 26, 2013
    This is a brilliant game from start to finish. There really isn't a finish and that is what is so enjoyable about this game...

Other than the trifecta of protagonists there are many other new additions that make this entry into the franchise worth experiencing. Some of the freshness comes from the Heists, which are elongated missions that are somewhat challenging and offer large cash

Some of the freshness comes from the Heists, which are elongated missions that are somewhat challenging and offer large cash rewards to the player. These missions punctuate different parts of the main campaign and my only wish was that there were more of them. GTA online promises that this hope will become a reality in a few days.

Another new addition are the 'Strangers and Freaks' missions which always offer a nice variety of gameplay mechanics when meeting any of the numerous NPCs that dot the map with question mark icons. One NPC might challenge you to a mini triathlon while another asks you to ride at high speed alongside a limo while he takes pictures of the celebrity inside.

The overall size of the world is almost intimidating. There is no part of it that isn't well realized or a waste of space. I thought I would hate the desert or mountainous areas but it turns out that many of my most memorable events from my current playthrough have happened there. This is a testament to the talent of the developers and many games fall short when attempting to create a map that players really want to explore.

There's just no denying it. The longer you have to develop a game the richer the experience for the player.

If you love open world games then this is a must own and the new gold standard of sandbox gaming.
  22. Sep 27, 2013
    The story isnt one huge story, its more like a perfect combination of many small storys. The gameplay is much better than gta 4, the movement is much easier and checkpoints help the game to make longer mission. The game deserves a 10 and the user score should be much higher
  23. Sep 28, 2013
    THIS IS INSANE: I'm a 40 year old gamer and have been since games began but this game is truly Unreal, there is nothing not to like, its mind blowing and epic, its why Game's will overtake Movie's within the next 10 years, i genuinely don't know how they have produced this, its on another level. BTW: i quite GTA 4 as there was to much to do??!
  24. Apr 17, 2014
    [Sorry for my english, I'm french]
    There are already lots of reviews but I'll write mine.
    This game is simply my favorite game of all time ! It is a travel to a world where I would live :) This GTA is more than a GTA, every mecanics are perfect, play this game is a pure pleasure, the story is bewitching, the 3 characters bring to the game a brilliant way to play, the graphics are
    [Sorry for my english, I'm french]
    There are already lots of reviews but I'll write mine.
    This GTA is more than a GTA, every mecanics are perfect, play this game is a pure pleasure, the story is bewitching, the 3 characters bring to the game a brilliant way to play, the graphics are amazing and the map too...
    There are so many things to do about this masterpiece...
    I have already written lots of review about this game for my country, France, so I'm tired of tell everytime the same things but this "game" is AMAZING, that's a fact !
  25. May 3, 2014
    This game is cool. I mean, look at the gameplay! They added some new features like animals and anything. Although I am no longer a GTA fan, I'm still liking this game.
  26. Oct 1, 2013
    Seriously? This is a video game. Having said that, GTA 5 ticks every damn box, its intended to be mindless, it's intended to be frustrating, it's sure as hell FUN, and if you are expecting to earn a college degree or reach metaphysical enlightenment during your time in LS, look somewhere else.
  27. May 3, 2014
    Brilliant execution on nearly all points. Lag/chop on XBOX showing the age of the system, unfortunately. But you'll quickly forget about that annoyance as you get lost in the hours and hours of things to do in a beautifully crafted environment. Voice acting is stellar, heists are phenomenal, and we can finally save the game without having to go home to bed. Multiplayer is actually fun andBrilliant execution on nearly all points. Lag/chop on XBOX showing the age of the system, unfortunately. But you'll quickly forget about that annoyance as you get lost in the hours and hours of things to do in a beautifully crafted environment. Voice acting is stellar, heists are phenomenal, and we can finally save the game without having to go home to bed. Multiplayer is actually fun and almost as engaging as the single player. If you can't get behind bad protagonists, you're in the wrong game to begin with (your first clue should have been the title), and if you're complaining about the graphics you need your eyes checked. A++ for Rockstar. Will be playing this for a long time. Expand
  28. Sep 26, 2013
    If you haven't played Grand Theft Auto V yet, I don't know what you're waiting for. Rockstar Games have always been known for making the absolute best third person action-adventure games of this generation. In fact, one of my favorite games of all time is Red Dead Redemption. They've always seemed to exceed the boundaries of what everybody expects their games to be like, and that's whatIf you haven't played Grand Theft Auto V yet, I don't know what you're waiting for. Rockstar Games have always been known for making the absolute best third person action-adventure games of this generation. In fact, one of my favorite games of all time is Red Dead Redemption. They've always seemed to exceed the boundaries of what everybody expects their games to be like, and that's what makes them the superior developer of this generation. If you play Grand Theft Auto V, you will know exactly why I feel this way. GTA V is a prime example of Rockstar pushing things to the limit. The game world is massive, bigger than any Rockstar game that has ever been released. (Though, big fans of Just Cause 2 will probably find the world size pretty pathetic.) The world is huge, and it is filled with so many interesting things to see and do. If you thought that GTA IV was a live city, GTA V will feel like a living world. Environmentally, the visuals are absolutely astounding, and some parts of the city will leave most of you breathless. Though when it comes down to characters, if felt like some details were left out. And some characters faces appear very cartoon like. Though it doesn't really matter. Unfortunately, a huge (and beautiful) environment leaves room for error. Believe it or not, there isn't that much error at all. There are some bugs that appear occasionally, but they're not game changers. There are also some occasional texture issues. A lot of people are complaining about frame rate drops, but the only time I noticed this was while driving a submarine.

Enough about the presentation, it's time to talk about the 30+ hour story mode accompanying the game. In my opinion, the story is not as compelling or interesting as the well written story in GTA IV. Though it's compelling enough to make me want to play it more than once, which I'm already half-way through doing. The story is mostly focused around Michael De Santa, a former bank robber who has gone into a WitSec program, and is currently residing in his multi-million dollar home with his family, who is dysfunctional in every way. Michael's money is running low though, so he returns to the life of crime. For the first time in GTA history, the player can now play as more than one character. The second available character to play as is Franklin Clinton, a young gang member who constantly tries to survive in an ignorant street life with his old friend Lamar Davis. The third character is Trevor Phillips, one of Michael's old robber buddies who has gone completely insane. Interestingly enough, the three characters stories all intertwine, and this concept creates a fun campaign. The best part is that at any point (when not on a mission), the player can switch between characters. The ending on the other hand, is another story. To avoid any spoilers, the game let's you create your own ending with a tough decision that Franklin must make in the end. Some of them feel linear and short, and the others feel too good to be true.

Thankfully, the game handles way better than GTA IV. The shooting mechanics are better, the driving is more fluent, and it now features a more realistic flying system when it comes down to helicopters and planes. The cover system has also been improved, instead of a touchy cover system from GTA IV.

I'm going to relate back to what I said earlier, you have no reason to not have played GTA V. Though I wouldn't approve the game for anybody younger than 15 years old, it's a game I believe everyone should play before they move onto next-gen technology. Who needs the Xbox One when you have next-gen tech on a current-gen game? It is certainly one of the best games ever made.
  29. Sep 28, 2013
    Everyone that gave this a negative review obviously have NOT played the game. People are just on this to hate because it is getting the money it deserves. "A billion in three days? What is this COD? I'm gonna go hate on Metacritic because its mainstream which obviously means that its overrated!". GTA V has set a new high for gaming. It features some of the best narrative, gameplay,Everyone that gave this a negative review obviously have NOT played the game. People are just on this to hate because it is getting the money it deserves. "A billion in three days? What is this COD? I'm gonna go hate on Metacritic because its mainstream which obviously means that its overrated!". GTA V has set a new high for gaming. It features some of the best narrative, gameplay, graphics and characters EVER in a video game. I got mad at myself for playing the game to fast, if that doesn't mean anything then you should play the game to see what I mean. You do NOT want this game to end! Its just to good! Michael, Trevor and Franklin are great characters and will be remembered for a long time. The huge beautiful world and millions of things to do make this game even better. And then on top of that there are the heists! I've been a long time gamer and I can say that the heist missions are some of the best levels I have ever played in a game! If I were to only have one game to play for the rest of the life I would be proud to have GTA V. Buy it if you haven't its well worth the hype. Expand
  30. Apr 19, 2014
    This game is amazing. The story is full of exciting missions and it also features a very interesting story. There are plenty of fun activities to do as well, such as hunting, racing, and plenty more. However, I do have a few complaints. First, the car customization is decen, but it pales in comparison to games like Forza, Midnight Club, and Saints Row. Secondly, there are only a handful ofThis game is amazing. The story is full of exciting missions and it also features a very interesting story. There are plenty of fun activities to do as well, such as hunting, racing, and plenty more. However, I do have a few complaints. First, the car customization is decen, but it pales in comparison to games like Forza, Midnight Club, and Saints Row. Secondly, there are only a handful of street races. Other than those few complaints, I think the game is perfect. Expand

1. Dec 12, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto V offers one of the best sandbox experiences ever, filled to the brink with stuff to do. The vistas are magnificent and amazing stuff just seems to happen wherever you go. But at the same time the story is tired and the characters unoriginal. Your appreciation of Grand Theft Auto V will depend of what you want out of the series. The freedom and joy of discovery is hard to beat but the rest still has some ways left to go.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    GTA V continues the game series' tradition of raising the bar for open world action games.
  3. Nov 5, 2013
    Tons of gameplay hours, plenty of missions and activities with an awesome collection of vehicles of various modes of transportation and a large array of firearms put the grandeur once again into Grand Theft Auto.