7.9

1. Jan 4, 2013
    Easy to learn, but the tutorials dragged a bit. Easy to play, but it's repetitive and boring. Very nice-looking, but it all seems the same after a while. Basic, plain, average - give it a try and see what you think.
  2. Jan 11, 2013
    When this game works it is very fun. Here are 5 PROS and CONS to this game after putting in many hours and trying various Guardians.

PROS: 1) Quick games. Games rarely last longer than 20-30 minutes. 2) Good variety of Guardians from the LoTR universe with unique abilities. 3) A MOBA that works well with a controller! 4) Loadout system lets you customize your play-style easily. 5)

PROS:
    1) Quick games. Games rarely last longer than 20-30 minutes.
    2) Good variety of Guardians from the LoTR universe with unique abilities.
    3) A MOBA that works well with a controller!
    4) Loadout system lets you customize your play-style easily.
    5) Pretty good balance. No one character feels exceedingly too powerful.

CONS: 1) Lag, forced disconnects, and quitters make the game very difficult and not fun for most games I have played.
    2) Bots do not replace humans players who are disconnected or who quit, making a basically lost game for the team with less players.
    3) Limited community due to poor matchmaking and connectivity issues.
    4) Game + season pass far too expensive for the content and (lack of) developer support provided).
    5) Have called and checked the developer forums and customer service is non-existent.

A game that could be a hidden gem if not plagued by horrible connectivity issues that are driving all but the most die-hard players away. Developer should be ashamed by their lack of support and patches. This game has major issues - STAY AWAY unless a LoTR or MOBA fan!
  3. Dec 5, 2012
    quick games, great gameplay. AND ITS LORD OF THE RINGS!. How can it get any better. I've played Mobas for years, and this one appeals to me in a soft spot that none of the others can. My need for time (short games) and my love for middle earth.
  4. Feb 25, 2014
    This game would be awesome, but it has tons of connection issues. For an online game, you would think that you could complete over half of your games. But no, you just get disconnected, or (if you are lucky) only the rest of the players disconnect. This game is a lot of fun and would be at least 8/10 if the connection issues had a light at the end of the tunnel. But this game was releasedThis game would be awesome, but it has tons of connection issues. For an online game, you would think that you could complete over half of your games. But no, you just get disconnected, or (if you are lucky) only the rest of the players disconnect. This game is a lot of fun and would be at least 8/10 if the connection issues had a light at the end of the tunnel. But this game was released over a year ago and all I hear is that they are getting worse. If you buy this, good luck and do not expect to play many full matches. Expand
  5. Dec 6, 2012
    This game is probably reviewed best in two ways, as it stands on its own merits, and in comparison to other MOBA's (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena games). On its own merits, I give it a 9 as it is a unique experience on a console and is a nice blend of action and strategy that can already tell has wormed its way into my permanent playlist. It can be played competitively against otherThis game is probably reviewed best in two ways, as it stands on its own merits, and in comparison to other MOBA's (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena games). On its own merits, I give it a 9 as it is a unique experience on a console and is a nice blend of action and strategy that can already tell has wormed its way into my permanent playlist. It can be played competitively against other players, or you can team up with friends to take on the AI, or even go it alone with AI allies if you aren't the social type. There are plenty of items and champs which are unlocked by gaining currency through playing, and it will take a very long time to accumulate them all (I haven't been able to put it down since release and I have barely scratched the surface). The champs have a wide variety of skill sets and each one fits a certain role and style uniquely. For $15 on XBLA, you will be hard pressed to find better value and lasting appeal. If compared to other MOBA's, (perhaps a bit unfair as it is just released and League of Legends, for instance, has been updated often for years) I would give it an 8. Bad new first, their are no purchasable items during a match (but pregame loadout customization has a lot of depth), 20 or so heroes - which is less than other MOBA's (but are already scheduled to release 8 more, beyond that is unknown), and a per game level cap of 14 which seems to even out everyone's power a little soon for my taste (however, it makes for comeback opportunities and helps to limit a game from getting owned by one person). Now the good news!, the graphics and effects are pretty damn cool and stand out as a treat amongst even the best MOBA's, especially on the big screen. The gamepad controls give you a more visceral connected feel yo your toon and the action really gets a hold of you. It is intense and really gives you a rush with each small victory and the agony of defeat with each setback. The other MOBA's are on PC, so its a bit apples and oranges, but, this is the best console experience in the genre. In closing, the mark of a good game in my opinion is one that gets you excited and itchy to come back to it after every session, thats why you fork over the cash is because you desire the entertainment. As a veteran of League of Legends, I give this game a thumbs up and it is an enjoyable, perhaps even addicting experience that can be had from the comfort of the couch. I am going back in game to get my fix :) Collapse

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Feb 21, 2013
    Guardians of Middle-Earth is an entertaining tactical action RPG, which borrows its basic gameplay from the tried and tested DotA. [Feb 2013]
  2. CD-Action
    Feb 6, 2013
    Not only the first real MOBA game for consoles, but also one of the better ones in this sub-genre. There’s not many flaws I can point out in GoMe. If anything, I doubt its longevity – there are only 22 guardians to choose from and capabilities of building a community are much smaller than on PC. [CD-Action 02/2013, p.42]
  3. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Jan 29, 2013
    Monolith has managed to introduce a relatively difficult genre to consoles, only to fall at the simplest of hurdles. [Issue#94, p.79]