8.1

1. Jan 21, 2012
    Platforming STG. Perfect in almost every way. A fantastic weapon switching system, that offers many useful and unique combinations, expansive platforming levels with great diversity, colorful characters and awesome bosses. This game is just as good now as it ever was, with plenty of content to keep you playing through again, and again, and again... Even better in co-op.
  2. Feb 4, 2014
    Gunstar Heroes was undoubtedly one of the stand out titles available on the Sega Mega Drive. A side scrolling shooter players could combine all manner of different weapons as well as performing sliding and jumping attacks in order to defeat enemies, as well as some brilliantly animated bosses, across the games multiple levels.

This Xbox Live re-release is exactly the same game that was

This Xbox Live re-release is exactly the same game that was released way back in 1993 and, whilst it is easy to see why it was so well regarded at the time, its gameplay simply lacked the overall depth and variety to keep me interested for any significant period of time. For the low price at which it is available it is well worth a look but I personally enjoyed more modern efforts, such as Astro Boy and Gunstar Super Heroes on the Game Boy Advance a lot more.
  3. Dec 30, 2017
    Gunstar Heroes was the first video game I remember playing. Ever.

It was a fun trip down memory lane to relive my kindergarten days, but I really wanted to give it an official review for it so here it is! Gunstar Heroes is a beautiful game, with an awesome art style, and an amazing OST... God, the soundtrack is just unbelievable.. a real sleeper soundtrack that should be there with
    Gunstar Heroes was the first video game I remember playing. Ever.

Gunstar Heroes is a beautiful game, with an awesome art style, and an amazing OST... God, the soundtrack is just unbelievable.. a real sleeper soundtrack that should be there with Mario, Zelda, Castlevania, and Mega Man. The only real negatives this game truly have lies in its difficulty, and it's length. This Genesis arcade-like action game isn't easy. There's no real tutorial but with 3 buttons it's pretty easy to get a grip on the controls. There's a ton of enemies and they all have one goal. Kill you. The action in this title is crazy and unending, but it does make the game a lot of fun. The only other problem I have is with the length of the title. There are only like 8 levels in this game, and some of them aren't even a normal platforming level's length. Some levels have clear-cut checkpoints where nothing is happening, or right before a boss; other levels have no checkpoints at all and if you die you have to do it all over again. it gets aggravating. The weapon combos are all unique and interesting, and fun to use. Overall this game is fun, challenging, and a worthwhile investment of your time. Gunstar Heroes gets an 8 out of 10

If you've never played Gunstar Heroes then this is a required download. It's one of the best side-scrolling action games ever created and remains a lot of fun today. Even if you have already played it, the easy achievements and online co-op may be good reason to take it for another spin.
  2. The hardcore will lap it up, but anyone who still remembers what it's like to grin like an idiot while blasting hundreds of enemies will more than get their money's worth as well.
    Fun co-op play, fun weapons, short and sweet.