7.1

1. Mar 1, 2011
    One of the biggest disappointments I've ever had to suffer. I'm a long time Halo fan, and while I don't exactly love Bungie, I trusted them to deliver a great experience. I'd already given up hope for a great campaign since Halo 2, and all I really cared about was playing survival Halo. I was initially taken aback that a game Bungie themselves had dubbed an "expansion to Halo 3", with an estimated price for $40 was now being marketed as a full game (thankfully Amazon gave me $10 back soon afterwards). Loading up into the campaign, I was almost immediately struck at how.. well.. bad it was. The cutscene animations are laughably poor, and the characters are all bland stereotypes. The storytelling was rather annoying, as between levels you'd have to "explore" an extremely repetitive New Mombasa while fighting outposts of Brutes (more like driving past them with a ghost you steal) and then searching for 10 minutes to find the next "clue". Somehow this piece of garbage reveals an extremely complicated story to your "rookie". Honestly, this is probably the worst Halo campaign in existence. Besides that, two things stuck out to me:
    1. Where in the hell are the elites? I personally hate fighting brutes; they're dumb, slow, and boring. Obviously since this game takes place about 2 seconds after the Master Chief fights with about a MILLION elites, you'd think there would be.. I don't know.. some elites left over. Well you'd be wrong. I'm not sure what the canon explanation is, but basically the H3 engine didn't have enemy AI coded into the elite characters, so we're stuck fighting Halo 3 elites before they even existed.
    2. You're supposed to feel different. You're supposed to feel like a smaller soldier, without super shields, who can't take on 50 brutes by himself. You don't. You still feel like a spartan, but you can see your hands this time. You still run and gun as you kill dozens of grunts and elites with superior firepower to your own. Yeah, you have to find healthpacks from time to time. Big woop. You definitely do NOT feel like a small fragile soldier, and there is no more strategy than previous Halo games offer.

On to firefight.. boy what a disappointment. There is no defense strategy, there is no teamwork involved. Playing with 4 friends, we just got into a game and found the best strategy was to run our separate ways and kill as many enemies as possible. What makes this incoherent mess even worse is that you're forced to deal with these stupid skulls that turn on after a couple waves. These skulls force you to melee enemies to regain shields, to constantly dodge enemy grenades while yours are rendered ineffective, to deal with a terribly low supply of ammo. Do any of these things sound fun to you? They sure aren't. I knew they would offer the skulls for those looking for additional challenge, but to force them on you? Ridiculous. It ends up playing like a 4-player co-op campaign, except there's only one tiny level, and there's no story... and it's not even remotely fun.

Some people loved the "storytelling" and "style" of this game, but ultimately, as a Halo fan, it was a huge disappointment. I played ODST for about a week before stopping altogether. Do I regret buying it? Not entirely. For one, I now have all the H3 maps on a single disk and my HDD has much more space. Two, I was able to complete the achievements towards getting Recon armor in H3. And finally, I was able to participate in the Reach beta. All that aside, I found this game terrible. I'm a HUGE Halo CE to Halo Reach fan, and I found this game TERRIBLE. Take from this what you will.
  2. Oct 9, 2010
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO boring its exactly the same as every single other halo and its just a overrated piece of rubbish, i cant actually believe i pre ordrered it. Biggest waste of money in my life !
  3. Aug 13, 2010
    wow if by deffinition you mean a game company crapping out a turd into a box marketing it for $60 then this is the true deffinition of that . so first this was suppose to be a expansion pack which probubly woulda went for 1600 points if marked reasonably ... yeah right like bunjie would do that they have to rape you for every thing you are worth because they are greedy and know halo fans will pay any thing to get it no matter how bad it is. if this was atleast a 1600 point expansion like it was intended to be i could atleast give it a 6/10 . as is its a $60 overpriced expansion that took me all if 4 hours to beat and i didnt enjoy any of it . outdated graphics ... oh and you dont get to play as the master chief you get to play as some bozoo who just runs around living out what other people have done. then theres the gears 2 horde mode rip off fire fight which wasvately fun for a hour . playing this game felt like i was banished to hell . The halo series is beyond repair in my book . only positive note is i only borowed this game and didnt pay for it . if i did pay for it man id have been really pissed. Expand
  4. esp
    Sep 6, 2010
    Perhaps Halo just isn't my thing, but this game is just dumb. The annoying childlike aliens, the (very) weak attempts at humor, the vague and contradictory mission objectives -- I played the first two missions and sold it back to the shop where I'd gotten it. There are many ways to get one's FPS fix, and this just didn't do it for me.
  5. Oct 16, 2010
    Halo 3 ODST is by far the worst Halo game. The story is boring, there isnt really anything new about the game, exept the firefight mode,the game is short, the characters are stupid and the campaign totally sucks.This game should have been just a DLC for Halo 3, nothing more.
  6. Oct 27, 2010
    The storyline was very short and ruined mombasa was a dissapointment. As well as that the storyline wasnt that good. If you want a better game at half the price just buy halo 3. dont buy this game
  7. Apr 30, 2013
    This review in a word AWFUL
    Okay so Halo fans are likely to love this game but it really is nothing new. there is no new ground covered in this game and it simply feels like a cash in. The Game is a side story to the plot of Halo 3. This time instead of being the Master Chief you are a band of UNSC soldiers who crash and lose one another. The game is then about finding one another. Often
    you end a story arch by finding something of a team mates at the end of the level. Then you switch to that person and play their story. the thing is that I did not care. I never felt any form of bond with the characters or really care what they are going through. There was just nothing that made me feel this was worthy of a retail release. If this had been an expansion of Halo 3 it may just have been passable. Bungie just feel lazy. They have the same enemies in the same linear environments where you walk from A to B and then back to A. I breezed through the game on Legendary mainly due to indestructible team mates (AI) who are unbelievably good on turrets. I kept seeing my team mate run into a horde of Elites and be battered to hell and still be there 5 minutes later taking the beating. It was incredible and not in a good way. If you are a fan of the series then you will play this for that reason. If you are not that much of a fan and really still want to look at it then get it VERY VERY cheap else you will feel ripped off. Expand
  8. Jun 27, 2011
    when i was in the store with my money at hand just enough for a new game i was at walmart at the time when i saw halo 3 the game i always wanted after halo 2 came out i wanted more but somthing else caught my eye halo 3 odst i immedietly bought it today i regret that descicion for poor story line and even worse gameplay it is not a good choice at all
  9. Aug 9, 2011
    Avoid this game at all cost total wast of time and money. If you've already bought this game I'm very sorry. Game play was terrible campaing was full of glitches and bugs. This game was a waste of time and money.
  10. Sep 28, 2011
    Story is awful. I still couldn't complete the game because to unlock data hive (seond to last level) I had to do all the levels again. Not worth it- especially since it's not exciting, the gameplay is terrible, health system sucks compared to Reach and it's really dark. It's a badly made game.
  11. Sep 28, 2011
    Halo ODST was a massive missed opportunity for Bungie. They could've actually crafted a game that broke from their previous efforts. They could've actually shown us what combat was like from a vulnerable human's point of view, instead of from a power armored supersoldier's point of view. Instead of walking around like some sort of shielded tank, maybe we'd be able to go prone and take cover and do interesting stuff. But they squandered it all, they just didn't give a damn.

So you're an ODST. Well, I guess that means you're really vulnerable, right? You can't rely on shields to save your bacon, this gameplay's probably going to be a lot more like Rainbow Six, and even grunts will pose a considerable challenge... oh wait. No, no they didn't do that. There's still a shield, it's just now called stamina and it's hidden from the HUD.

Well, you're just a human. I guess that means you can't break off machine gun turrets and lug them around and... oh wait. Yeah, I guess you can still break off turrets and walk around with them. You've still got superhuman strength. You can still carry Spartan lasers as if they weighed nothing, even though they're huge weapons that would probably strain a normal human.

But hey, you're way way weaker than a Spartan II, you've probably got a much much weaker melee attack now, right? You probably can't deliver a couple of punches to kill grunts and Brutes and stuff, right? After all, regular humans don't have the superhuman strength to do that. Oh wait... yeah, I guess your melee attacks still kill them quickly. Your punches are still superhuman for some reason.

But without the finely tuned motor reflexes and stabilizers of the Mjolnir armor, your aim is probably going to be really bad when you move a lot, right? I mean, your reticle is probably going to expand if you're running or strafing a lot, right? That's what happens when a human being moves rapidly while carrying a gun, their aim suffers. So that's surely... oh wait. Oh wait, that's not... that not what we get. The crosshair just remains static and perfectly accurate. Boy, that's not right is it?

If you just expected more of the same, I guess ODST might've been just peachy-keen for you.
  12. Jul 11, 2013
    a $20 game sold for $60 very mediocre and short single player, not worth replaying at all. Firefight is a new mode where you basically play horde mode, but you litterally play the same waves of enemies in the same order and getting the achievements takes forever. it's mind numbing an tedious. doesn't have it's own multiplayer vs mode, just gives you halo 3 again, wow thanks I have halo 3 and it's DLC like every other fan of the series.

I know this review is years late but people are talking about it again since halo 4 was bad and considered the worst in the series, but many forget how bad ODST was. worst in the series, WORSE than halo 4.
  13. May 14, 2012
    Oh wow, $60 for this 5 hr campaign with dick for replay ability and a **** horde mode rip off. **** you Bungie. You managed to ruin the Halo name without help from anyone else
  14. Nov 17, 2011
    I hate the fact that this game exists. You play as a weak ODST, who dies too easily making the game very difficult even on normal difficulty. The storyline does not flow smoothly and I find no likeable characters in the game. This is not how Halo is supposed to be, the only time you will have fun is in a vehicle where you can run down the covenant forces with ease. The visuals are ok, but good graphics does not mean a good game, they only compliment one. Expand
  15. Dec 26, 2011
    AWFUL campaing, Just **** garbage. Why people would like to see a story in mixed order is beyond me, Yeah it's not gonna make no sense if you do the second last mission then the second, but it just feels like a way to pad the game play, "Oh we have a 4-5 hour campaing, but instead of just telling a story, were gonna force you to walk around for 10 mins before you get to the next part of the story" Firefight isn't online and the multiplayer is halo 3. Do not buy unless you don't have halo 3 anymore. even then halo 3 is dead sooooooo Expand
  16. Apr 22, 2012
    Give your Halo character little health and change absolutely NOTHING else, and you have ODST. The gameplay mechanics are exactly the same, except you have bugger all health (jumping from fairly low heights can hurt you), the story is boring and forgettable, levels are repetitive (I HATED the night time level in the city) and this game is obviously just a cash ploy made by Bungie. We can wait for Halo Reach without crappy sequels to fill the gap. Expand
  17. Feb 16, 2012
    ive been a fan of halo ever since the 2nd one came out and i have to say this is the worst halo ive ever played the story is the worst in the series you are random solders in the unsc army that get lost in there drop pods and get scattered around this city and you have to find out what happened to your squadmates and do random missions this halo has the worst plot line out of the series although they did bring in this mode called firefight which is amazing its like horde mode from gears of war and zombies from cod and you have fend off waves of the covenant but that is the only good thing about the game and they completely scraped competitive multiplayer if it wasnt for firefight i would give this a zero Expand
  18. Sep 12, 2013
    I never been too much of a fan of the "Halo" franchise, mainly because of it's ignoring simplicity of issues that are constantly represented in the game always, and, well, also because of the constant monotony in between the several games of the franchise itself.
    Even then i decided to jump into "Halo" with, "Halo Reach", (which i loved). But this game, could possibly be one of the worst,
    most boring, dull, first person shooters out there, forget about the repetitive scenarios, that just end up being bland, and boring, forget about the awful, graphical quality of the overall game.
    No, the real problem begins with the gameplay, every single "new game mechanic", that's being add into this game doesn't work, why? Because at it's entirety it's the exact same replica of another game mechanic showed in past entries, with a re-skin.

The entire game you go throughout the exact same scenarios, over, and over, and over again, and i'm talking about exactly the same, there is not even one difference in between them, and when there finally is, it's just another lifeless, empty, wide open area, with nothing to do more than to shoot the exact same enemy model until you finally finish the game.

The story it's completely irrelevant, i really think that you can play throughout the game and get an even better experience while skipping such soulless, unenjoyable, dull, mediocre, cutscenes, it's that bad, aside from that the game manages to overcome all of this obstacles an give a couple of bursts of fun and enjoyment for a couple of minutes, sadly, after a while, it falls into the exact same endless cycle of monotony
    that every other aspect of this game falls down into.

It's the worst "Halo" game in all the franchise, but it can be fun and enjoyable at times, even if it doesn't last to long, nor it's interesting, while your forcing yourself to play it.
  19. Aug 4, 2014
    "Hey guys, let's take an average franchise like Halo and we go all Cristopher Nolan on it making it super greedy and mature and patriotic and **** just like a Michael Bay movie without boobs" -What I think they said at Bungie before the creation of this... let's call it game because you use a controller on it.

1. The bottom line here is that this is a nice little piece of Halo, and that anyone who has ever enjoyed Halo will probably enjoy this too. The only question is how much it is worth to you. As a full priced stand-alone game, its value is somewhat dubious.
  2. Not only an add-on! This is better than many of the main games! Next to the single player, you also get a great multiplayer mode. You just cannot do wrong if you buy this game!
  3. Halo 3: ODST is an excellent add-on campaign for Halo 3, and one which all Halo fans should own.