6.9

1. Jan 31, 2014
    Best Xbox game I have ever played! The war games are feroucious and compettitive! the backgroumd design for the levels are amazing....................
  2. Nov 16, 2012
    Best Halo since Combat Evolved. I am not a Halo fan, ever since Combat Evolved you could say I've been a Halo Hater. Till now. I felt that Bungie squandered and incredible Universe by forcing us to play through campaigns with confusing and lackluster stories, that were set in a great universe with characters that had all the potential to be memorable. Also I felt that Bungie never took any chances with updating Multiplayer. I can say with no doubt I trust in 343, they made em care about the characters, I actually enjoyed the story and the visuals and sound are second to none and did a great job of engrossing you. I also feel the Multiplayer with Spartan Ops is a great change and addition to Multiplayer and has had me fighting my way to 50 to get my first specialization Expand
  3. Nov 15, 2012
    i see the haters/call of duty fanboys have rated this game as low as possible. what a bunch of morons. this game is great and way better than Call of Duty.
  4. Mar 17, 2014
    simply the best halo in my opinion, the multiplayer is better then ever, graphics are amazing, and story was more emotional.well worth the buy, for the xbox 360
  5. Mar 19, 2013
    I can remember the days when I hated FPS and then I discovered Halo. Loved the new weapons and new race to fight. Loved the graphics. I can say that I had so much fun playing through the campaign with my brother in law and making jokes. If the walking dead hadn't destroyed my heart before I played this, I might have even cried when one of my beloved characters died. I think the beauty here is that they didn't try to teach an old dog any tricks. They just tweaked the same stuff we've been loving for years. Expand
  6. Dec 31, 2013
    A worthy entry into the acclaimed series, Halo 4 is an exciting and intense first-person shooter. The game offers little in the way of new enemies, its main drawback and appears to substitute the games expansive environments for spectacular visuals. The game runs very smoothly and the narrative is fantastic. O'Donnell's classic score and theme are missing and replaced with a more generic soundtrack. Expand
  7. Apr 19, 2013
    I have all the halo games and this one is a bit different but still attach to the original game play, it has a lot CoD but i don't see that like a bad thing, for me this game is a 1 year online game to play.
  8. Nov 18, 2012
    My scores up to this point for reference follow: Halo 1 - 10 Halo 2 - 8 Halo 3 - 9 Halo ODST - 7 Halo Reach - 8 Halo Anniversary - 7 (lots of flaws the original didn't have, and artistic direction was just awkward) Halo 4 - 10 This is the single best Halo experience I have ever had. It may not be as revolutionary compared to what had come before it as Halo 1 (how could it be?) but it is the most fun I have had at Halo, the most enthralled I have been at Halo, and the most passionate I have been about it.

On to the grit.

Graphics: The graphics are beautiful. The artistic design is delightful, the character designs border on the inspired. In certain moments, these are the best in game graphics I have ever seen on the system, in others though, graphical artifacting and glitching mar the experience. Misloaded textures take away from the experience and suspend disbelief. These may be the fault of my aging system (same box I have owned since the month of launch), but regardless of where the fault lies, It damages an otherwise flawless visible presentation.

Sound - The sound library is improved in several ways, with the gun, grenade, and terrain sounds all minorly boosted. The biggest aspect of sound, and by far the most notable, is the change of musical direction. I'll be honest, I wish they could have retained the composers from the original, because they help identify the world, even in the face of Bungie's departure. That said, the songs are beautiful, and capture the feel of the game very well. Gone are the days of the music track defining the level, and it is replaced by music that helps focus the environment. While the raw talent may not be as high now as it was, the skill with which each level has its song composed and matched, is superior.

Balance - Gun balance is the most important part of Halo's overall balance in design, for me. And this game wins in a big way. Everything is useful here. The Assault Rifle has finally figured out its balance. It being the default gun for most missions over the course of the game finally makes sense in story, as the gun is ridiculously useful for mid and close range engagement, an does not fully lose itself in long range. The pulse rifle, which was overpowered in campaign, is gone as is the terrible Reach equivalent, and in its place we find a far better balanced weapon in the storm rifle. The storm rifle is getting a lot of flack online as terrible, but it is because people do not understand it. This gun is probably the single best support weapon in the game, when used along with your allies' battle rifles and DMRs. All of the new [race redacted to avoid spoilers] weapons find their balance, except the boltshot which would be perfectly functional if it had its magazine size doubled but finds itself hampered by its required reload. The new grenade balance has boosted the game, with the frag grenade more lethal but with a smaller area of effect. The new pulse grenade is getting a lot of hate online, but as an area denial tool, and against vehicles it is very useful. If you have the grenade skills and timing you can also kill a fully charged enemy with a single shot. Overall, the balance functions to lessen the domination of the br/dmr, and open up better representation for the close support, as well as the true long distance, weapons. Grenade play is vastly improved in my opinion and heavily rewards precision, the pistol has finally found its balance, and all that is left is the sniper rifle. I am disappointed with the sniper rifle, as it retains all of its benefits from past versions and picks up far greater 'shoot from the hip' precision, making open-shot sniper rifle dominant when it shouldn't be. Hopefully they address this in a future patch by returning the imprecision to open sight shot with the sniper rifle.

Emotional affect - I cared more about this campaign than I have cared about anything but 3, and I care about the two main characters more than I ever have. Brilliant success. The script writing is better, the acting is better, the emotion conveyed to the voice is better. Heartbreaking, and 'real'. I cannot overstate how much impact the story had compared to everything else out there. This game shows the fullest potential of what video games should be, in every area but social conscience, and as a philosophic journey, I think it outpaces Bioshock in its final question.

AI - This is the best AI in the history of the game. Organic AI is improved, and the new race has the best AI I have ever played against. Pathfinding is sometimes predictable, and could benefit from more randomization.

Glitches - A few graphical glitches mar the experience. One or two sound glitches threw me off, Cortana whispering more quietly than the background music at one point was bad. Wall artifacting at one point. Nothing game-ruining.

Overall - Arguably the best game I have ever played on the xbox. At the very least in my top 5.
  9. Nov 11, 2012
    At first I didn't really like the game but after playing for many hours and days, I LOVE IT. The campaign was fantastic and is an emotional roller-coaster. The story between Cortana and Master Chief is told very well and IMO this campaign is one of the best in the Halo series. The graphics and sound effects are AMAZING and for a game that runs at 30fps this game is SMOOTH. The enemies in this game are smart, clever and very well done. They actually have a mind of their own and don't run and hide like in previous halo games. Voice acting and the sound tracks for Halo are outstanding. The Multiplayer PLAYS AND FEELS LIKE HALO unlike halo reach (which I hated IMO ) Everything is perfectly balanced this time. The level design is very good and the maps are all well thought-out. The armor abilities and the weapon drops give a fresh new look to Halo 4 and makes the game fell less repetitive compared to previous Halo games. If you like old school Halo then there is a special playlist called Team slayer pro which removes all armor abilities and weapon drops and makes the game just like Halo 3. However, since I am giving a fair review there are SOME things which I really didn't like in this game. The respawns in multiplayer aren't as bad as COD but they get quite annoying and i always end up being spawned in front of a warthog and then being run over immediately. I was also hoping that the campaign could have been a bit longer since it is only 6 hours on normal difficulty. Other than those reasons, this game is VERY GOOD and I highly recommend it. No game is perfect :) Expand
  10. Nov 11, 2012
    As a longtime halo fan I was very skeptical of this new game, not because of the new studio behind it 343, but because of the new "call of duty-like" things being added to multiplayer. After finishing the campaign on heroic and getting to rank 36 here is the good and bad. If you don't want to read, just know that overall it is an excellent game, especially compared to most games these days, and is worth buying.

The good:
    -join in progress multiplayer games. Now when someone rage quits your team isn't permanently down players for the entire match. I have come into several matches in progress where my team was losing slightly and helped them come back to win. -controls still feel like halo. The jumping, the melee, the movement, the headshots, it all feels just like a halo game. I have heard complaints to the new controls but I use bumper jumper which is more traditional.
    -graphics. I thought Halo: Reach was easily the best looking xbox game, but where it had really crisp textures and almost no shadows, Halo 4 outdoes reach with amazing lighting and shadows. Easily the best looking console game today. -balance. Right off the bat the game feels nicely balanced in terms of weapon power. There is no clear winner with the dmr vs br, and even the carbine and light rifle are on par. None of the weapons feel weak, with even the assault rifle and plasma pistol being formidable weapons.
    -ordinance. I feel it's a great chance of pace to slayer and if you don't like it it's only in slayer
    -dominion. Amazing! A next-gen version of domination or capture and hold control points. The longer you hold a base, the more defenses it builds and resupplies your team with weapons and vehicles.
    -maps. Miles ahead of Halo: Reach in terms of maps on release. Each map is unique and I really love them all except Haven.

Now some of the bad you should know about
    -the killcam. Great idea even if it's ripped off of call of duty. In my experience it doesn't work 95% of the time, instead showing you a weird replay of someone shooting into the sky.
    -Spartan Ops: not nearly as good as firefight in my opinion. The missions are bland and don't really compare to the amazing campaign missions. Though to be honest, I wouldn't want to fight waves of prometheans anyway.
    -slowing down when shot. This is a double edged sword. It stops nooby double melee rushing, but it also makes it even harder to stay alive in a game that is already beefing up the speed of kills. -No small weapons on maps. I like how power weapons can drop randomly anywhere, but in an objective game where you don't call in ordinance, the only way to pick up a different gun is to kill an enemy. There are no longer grenades and non-power weapons on the map to pick up and resupply you with ammo.

Overall this game is definitely worth getting. It has changed a bit but I believe for the better. Halo was originally called "combat evolved" and I think they need to keep evolving the halo formula.
  11. Dec 24, 2012
    Such an amazing game can't stress that enough, great physics, color, detail, lighting, vehicles, weapons, I could go on and on..........................................................................................................................................................
  12. Nov 12, 2012
    Undoubtedly the best Halo title yet, and the first to make major changes to the multiplayer game dynamic. The campaign is graphically spectacular, with the increasing rampancy of Cortana a very engaging plot device. The Flood are thankfully absent, the Prometheans are awesome, there are some excellent set pieces, and a great spaceship level made it a memorable experience. It does have its flaws though. As all FPS campaigns it is almost insultingly short, taking around 7 hours on normal. The game also struggles to tell the story as each level progress, and while the cut scenes are glorious they skimp on details. My biggest issue was the final boss fight, which was a clumsy quick time event and made for a very unsatisfying conclusion. However, overall it was an enjoyable romp as any Halo campaign should be. Spartan Ops is an interesting edition, good fun with friends or alone. Free episodic story content is a really innovative idea and should give the game a longer life expectancy. I have high hopes for it. The main gameplay changes come in multiplayer. Borrowing from the call of duty games, you now have loadouts. Unlike COD however, these do not spoil the game for new players, as they are more to do with personal preference than raw power. Heavy weapons no longer have spawn points on the maps, but instead are dropped/teleported into random locations than then appear on everyone Expand
  13. Nov 12, 2012
    Finally Halo is back! Only FPS that actually involves skill. You can shoot me first but if you are not better I will win the battle 9 out of 10 times.
  14. Nov 15, 2012
    This game is just outstanding! The multiplayer is fun to play (even though it has a call of duty feel to it) and they keep adding new game types every week. Just like spartin ops you get new missions every week and its fun to play with others. Oh and the campain was a bit short but the story is just awesome. Forge mode is the basically the same but hey if it ain't broke don't fix it. Overall everyone that has an Xbox should get this game. You won't regret it ;) Expand
  15. Nov 13, 2012
    First off I am a long time halo fan and I actually wasn't going to buy it after hearing some interviews with the designers. Reviews started pouring in and it got me excited enough to pick it up. Long story short, if your a halo fan or a fan of sci fi you will probably like this.

The music while not as epic or memorable as Marty o Donnels scores still easily surpass almost all other
    games. It is a welcome change of tone for me and feels like it could be right at home in a mass effect game, also a big fan of the mass effect music. If you have ever seen the movie Sunshine, 28 days later, or snatch which the soundtracks for those were all done by a guy named John Murphy. It feels like his style mixed with some mass effect. Which again are great because im a big fan of all this. So enough about the music, I loved it.

The gameplay is what you'd exspect from halo and if you are a fan of the others than you will feel right at home with this one.

The storyline is great minus 2 chapters which didn't serve any purpose but as filler. There's 2 chase scenes and they both are very glitchy but they are over quickly and don't ruin the experience.

I did have a problem unlocking a avatar award but after I cleared my cache and tied again it popped the second time. Not a big deal but when I am useto bungies extremely high quality little touches like that make it apparent that bungie had nothing to do with this. Great game, not the best but better than most.

Ohh and no swat in matchmaking? WTF?
  16. Nov 13, 2012
    Halo 4 itself has managed to give me many feelings towards 343i and the franchise they will continue to create. These feelings are excitement, blissfulness, tolerance, prejudice, rage, anger, hatred, and despair. YOU WILL LOVE THIS GAME BUT HATE IT AT THE SAME TIME! There are so many parts that I liked. Now the people below me are probably CoD **** stating that the game sucks so bad cuz there is no innovation, claiming that they copied from CoD when in reality the things they added came from a plethora of shooters. The game is innovative by adding in Spartan Ops and especially Spartan Ops. While I would like to strangle Spartan Jared Miller to death in the game, it allows me to have fun with my pals without having the ease of jet-packing around with rockets as how you would in Matchmaking firefight on Reach. Another innovative thing they added in was the Prometheans and the Forerunner weapons. Come on guys, they added a fifth faction into the game, the bad Forerunners.

So right about now you're thinking if I'm a noob or if I am biased. I am level 42 in the game so I've played a lot of Halo 4 since its release.

Forge is disappointing due to the removal of crouching in monitor (Really helps when not using Coordinates or Magnets) and the lack of terrain and space in the 3 maps. While that is disappointing, that doesn't mean that the innovative approach forgers have is obliterated. I've seen many good games that TheHaloForgeEpidemic has created. For example 5 levels.

Campaign is good for those who have read the books especially the Forerunner saga section. It will give you an inside look at people like the Didact, Master Builder, and the Librarian in the saga. So do the terminals in the game.

Many are saying that the DMR is OP but in reality it's that the other rifles are just underpowered in the game while the Boltshot pistol is in my opinion too powerful for a sidearm.

The Matchmaking are small but are lot's of fun. My favorite mode is Dominion while I hate Infinity slayer with a passion on BTB maps.

Overall this game should not be hated as much as the 474 people giving negative reviews are saying it should be. This game is a worthy successor to the franchise and 343i should continue their job tending to the franchise.

8.8/10 (Rounded to 9)
  17. Lap
    Nov 16, 2012
    This game is phenomenal, it has truly pushed the limits for the Xbox 360 and gameplay alike. It's graphics are astounding while the scenery can be jaw dropping. You feel amazingly small and that is a great feel for everything to be of an incredible size. The story is more in depth look at master chief and cortona. It was a nice change of pace to be fighting a new enemy and to see new types of structures. The multiplayer was perfect, the weapons are all balanced in proportion for their use. Some maps feel a little sloppy in areas but for the most part are astounding and play well and leave no room for sitting around, which is fantastic. The change in loadouts, and passive/active skills have added whole new play styles to this already amazing game and will fit to any users liking. Expand
  18. Nov 18, 2012
    Halo 4 offers something new and something old both in the best of ways.The campaign, for the most part, feels like a well thought-out and well-weaved story in the huge Halo universe.
    The level design is fantastic, and varied, the last time a Halo game had this kind of variety in its campaign it was 2001 and Halo:CE was starting a FPS revolution on consoles. You are playing as Master Chief
    of course and there are plenty plot lines being weaved in this campaign of which I won't spoil for you here, but its particularly amazing if, like me, you are a generally a big fan of great science-fiction. The campaigns variety in level design greatly benefits from the game-engine, which is arguably 343 industries greatest accomplishment in Halo 4. The lighting and textures in this game are the best to-date of any Halo game before it, and quite possibly the most beautiful looking game on the Xbox 360 console. Of course, the engine is not only responsible for the eye-candy but also for the game physics and the sandbox dynamics Halo games are well-known for by the hard-core Halo fans. The physics in the game are great, the game always makes you feel like you weigh a figurative ton, the weapons have the signature diversity to them as well as their place in the sandbox. Halo games have always had varied weapons of which nearly all must be mastered to escape tight situations in campaign and most importantly, in multi-player. The sniper rifle, Rail gun, and sticky detonator come to mind when talking about this, it absolutely feels like nearly every weapon in Halo 4 was included to fit a definitive role while also being flexible enough to be used in not-so ideal scenarios for said weapons. Which could not really be said about every Bungie-made Halo game, with Halo 2, Halo 3, and even Reach, there were a few weapons that were pretty much ignored by the player due to not having a role in the sandbox that could be more effective than another weapon, Not in Halo 4, from the fully automatic weapons, to the pistols, to the precision weapons and power weapons, every single one of them feels like it serves a purpose in the sandbox and that is impressive. The same could also be said for the vehicles in Halo 4, they all have a role, and they all feel properly balanced, no one vehicle feels over-powered, if you know how to identify its role in the sandbox you can be very effective with it. It all really is quite a testament to 343s abilities, but there are bits and pieces, campaign-wise, that feel out of sync with the rest of the generally fantastic story, there was a certain point in the campaign where I pressed a total of 3 different buttons on my controller to get through a scenario where I felt like I wasn't actually in control of anything. I was simply playing through a scripted event where hitting a single button would perform actions that could be enjoyed more-so if simply viewed. Any and all events like the one above have always been handled by a cutscene where you would see the chief (not in first-person) perform his bad-assery, to "play" through something like that felt quite unnecessary and also felt a bit out of place when considering how the rest of the campaign plays out, if you're going to make a cut-scene the best thing to do is not give the player mediocre control, either he absolutely controls the character or he doesn't, that idea is what creates great pacing. Another example of a stumbling is when I found myself watching a cut-scene that lead to a level, I walked about 30 feet forward and then was presented another cut-scene, that also kills pacing, good thing is it only happened that one time, but it's there nonetheless to show us that this is a development team still trying to master that Halo signature pacing Halo games have been known for as well as trying to place their own stamp on a franchise that they clearly love. Aside from those small gripes, the campaign is fantastic and should be a memorable one, some will undoubtedly find some of the dialogue strange and different but after playing through it a second time, you really start to understand what 343i was trying to do with these characters. The Multiplayer in Halo 4 is nothing short of a great advancement in the franchise, considering all I've talked about in the previous section, the weapon balance and roles in the multiplayer side of things is even more obvious, and (again) the same can be said for the vehicles. The map designs are also well rounded from the small-medium-large. The multiplayer is where the games balance absolutely shines. Of course there are a few things you will notice off the bat that will have you question 343s decision making, like removing friendly fire from 4v4 slayer on-line but after quite a bit of time playing through all of its game types, those concerns fade due to the fact that the game plays so well as-is. Add the weekly Spartan Ops episodic content and Forge and you get one of the most complete game packages. Expand
  19. Mar 10, 2013
    This game is excellent. The Campaign is outstanding, continuing from the end of Halo 3 while refreshing it with some of the features from Reach. The graphics in Halo 4 look beautiful and the new sounds are much better than past games.

The Multiplayer is much more fast pace and the whole new Forerunner weapons are very fun to shoot. it is a excellent Halo game and a much better
    improvement to Halo: Reach. Expand
  20. Nov 15, 2012
    Amazing Game! Best story and game play ever in a Halo game and I've played them all. Graphics and sound are truly awesome. Simply put this is the best shooter I have ever played hands down. Weapons, vehicles, enemies everything just pops and handles wonderfully. Forget wanting to fight a modern war in a shooter, the futuristic feel is awesome! welcome back Master Chief.
  21. Nov 15, 2012
    When I first found out that Bungie was leaving my favorite franchise behind, I was a bit apprehensive. I've played every Halo game, and with the exception of Halo 2 I've loved them all. In the first weeks following the announcement of Halo 4, I scoured the Internet for concept art, gameplay, anything to give me insight as to what 343i was doing with my beloved Halo. I'm delighted to say that the game is everything a true fan could have wanted out of a Halo game: the Chief is a badass, the bad guy is REALLY bad, and Cortana has her best performance to date. And that's in the first three levels. 343i absolutely nailed the facial animations, and the actors all do a spectacular job with their voice work. The regular Marines you fight alongside are as sarcastic and humorous as ever, and at no point in the campaign did any individual stand out to me as being annoying. On the multiplayer side, this is Halo perfection. Every map is distinct and beautiful, and they all play like a dream. Each weapon has its own unique strengths and weaknesses and no weapon completely outclasses another. The new Forerunner weapons, while different, are in no way overpowered; your BR skills from Halo 3 will still be serving you well. Your DMR skills from Halo: Reach will net you as many kills here as they did there. The addition to "Call-of-Duty-like" perks is surprisingly natural and is so well-balanced you'll probably only notice your own personal perks. At no point have I been killed and though "if only he wasn't using THAT perk". The in-game map editor, Forge, is in rare form in this game: it looks very similar to its Reach counterpart, but has been streamlined and altered to something much more usable and ergonomic. No longer will countless hours be spent mucking through coordinate sheets and menus, thanks to magnets and the duplicate option, respectively. If you liked Forge before, you'll love it now. If you hated it before, there's nothing new here.
    In all, Halo 4 is a triumphant achievement for a newly-formed company. In this case, they get the absolute highest praise: not only does this game not fall into the trap of simply reiterating the "Bungie-feel", they also don't alienate the things that make this franchise beautiful. 343 has succeeded in creating a game with an identity of its own, and that is the real wonder here. I would highly recommend this game to any video game player.
  22. Nov 15, 2012
    Well what can I say. Halo 4 has come along and absolutely blown me away. It's truly amazing. Graphically the best game I've seen on any console and emotionally gorgeous.. Touching
    . Sure people are trying to bring it,down all over the internet, but there are just as many if not more telling you how amazing it is. I've played every halo game since ce. and played halo 3 almost every day
    since ltd release in 2007. In my opinion halo reach was the worst. and halo 4 brings it back to the classic halo feel. Sound effects are beautiful. 20k games of halo 3 and I loved every one. Halo 4 is gonna be the same. Ignore the trolling critics on here as well! Halo 4 has best black ops 2. Sorry trolls. Even your trolling can't bring this game down. Haha cyan Expand
  23. Nov 29, 2012
    Halo may not be the king it once was nearly a decade ago. But I think it is safe to say that under the excellent supervision of 343, it
  24. Nov 15, 2012
    Story wise this is the most ambitious Halo game to date. Bungie had a rule that the gameplay came before the story but 343 has taken down that rule and instead made the gameplay and story even better. The multiplayer is amazing and the spartan ops is more fun that firefight. All the load outs feel natural as if halo has had them forever. Only down side, the story is a bit convoluted if you dont watch all the terminals. Great way to return to Halo and can't wait for Halo 5!10/10 Expand
  25. Nov 30, 2012
    Honestly one of the best Halo games yet. The only things i don't really like is that the Prometheans are crazy powerful and the DMR is also CRAZY POWERFUL
  26. Jan 18, 2013
    I started to play Halo in this game, so my opinion isn't of a big fan. But I loved it, the graphics are excelent, but most important: The multiplayer is the best FPS I've ever played. Campaign isn't pretty good, but isn't bad.
  27. Nov 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Halo 4 is a good game in my opinion, although many do not seem very good, but to me, this is one of the best in the series. The story is very compelling from start to finish, with an introduction you see Dr. Catherine Halsey talking about the Spartans. It then shows that reactive Cortana Master Chief to see who made ​​contact, was the Covenant that apparently were at war with humans again. Then they arrived to Requiem, known the Didact, the antagonist of the game. In the end, he dies, and what surprised most is the death of Cortana, very tragic. The game has excellent graphics, good gameplay, good multiplayer. In conclusion, a great game. Expand
  28. Nov 16, 2012
    0...0.....0....0.0....0, NOOBS TROLLING AND RUINING A REPUTABLE SITE.... HALO 4 is amazing and i guarantee half of you Trolls are playing the game right now.
  29. Nov 16, 2012
    343 keeps retains the torch that Bungie handed them a year ago. In fact the torch burns even brighter. Halo 4 is a fantastic following to the lore-abundant atmosphere that is the Halo series. Fans of the original CE, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach will be wholey impressed with the updated gameplay and story development. Campaign brings to light a closer connection to emotion and humanity, while the online Spartan Ops, weekly episodes, add a significant level of value and longevity to the game. 343 shows they care about their fans and have evolved Halo to the next level. The gameplay is familiar and refined. Buy it as it will become an instant classic as all the previous games have been. Expand
  30. Nov 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Halo 4 is a truly great addition to the Halo series. The story is emotional and well told, the gameplay is as solid as ever, graphically it is amazing and the mutliplayer is top notch. It is a triumph for 343 industries. The fact that they so bravely took the mantle of this universe and managed to delivered something truly wonderful is to be commended. Most developers would botch such an endeavor, but it is clear that Microsoft and 343 truly care about this franchise. The return of Master Chief is not just one of the best Halo games in the series, or even arguably the best, but it is also one of the best games I've played all year. Its problems are all so minor and often just personal preferences rather than legitimate issues. Halo 4 is a front runner for game of the year and if you are a fan of the series, or just a fan of shooters, you owe it to yourself to get this game. Pros
    -Amazingly well told and emotional story
    -Great voice work
    -Fantasic sound
    -Possibly the best Graphics on the Xbox
    -Great enemy AI -Vast and diverse array of weapons and equipment
    -Major improvements on several gameplay mechanics
    -Modernized Multiplayer that stands out -Unlockables are within reach and easy to obtain
    -Customization is vast and fun
    -Spartan Ops is a great addition

Cons
    -Forge could have used more improvements and additions
    -The absence of firefight is disappointing
    -Spartan Ops maps could use more variety so's to not feel recycled.
  31. Nov 18, 2012
    Halo 4 is a step beyond what I imagined it could be. Simply amazing! Loved the action-packed Campaign, Spartan OPs is a great ad on, I especially love the cinematic Spartan-ops episodes. The multi-player component is never boring, soemthing that's honestly hard to do, but is pulled off really well in this game. I love the innovation put into Halo 4!
  32. Dec 7, 2012
    With a game like Halo 4, you have to review on both Story AND Multiplayer. When it comes to the game overall, it is a compelling masterpiece. It's visually a work of art and gameplay is spectacular. With most Halo games, I often found myself having to replace broken controllers due to dying so much. But not with Halo 4. 343 did an amazing job keeping true to the legendary franchise of Halo, but while also putting there personal signature on it. I was slightly skeptical about the new Forerunners. It's obvious that you can't just keep killing Covenant all the time, but it was a risky move and they still pulled it off. They did a great job giving the player a nostalgic feeling while killing the Covenant, which were graphically beautiful. But also in giving a player a rush of excitement of facing an unknown enemy. Whilst the story was not a complete turn from the other 3, it still had a new sense of adventure to it. A very compelling story line which for the first time was even quite emotional for me. For story, it's a 10/10. Now, multiplayer. While you can't expect anything new from a Halo multiplayer, they dished out quite a few new interesting features. Including customizing loadouts and even more customization with you Spartan Armor to the point where you truly do feel unique in your own way and not just a different color copy of some other player. Some of the maps are small, but still well designed. Whilst multiplayer can get quite boring, you have Spartan Ops which is a great feature that was added. Whether you want to go Solo or play with a party, you engage in unique actual missions that are quite enjoyable and make you eager to get the next season of missions. Spartan Ops is a great choice if you liked playing campaign with other players. It's new and fresh and does not get old. Multiplayer gets a 10/10. The music is great. The graphics are spectacular. The voice acting is excellent. It's a fantastic game. I would recommend this game to not only true fans of Halo, but gamers in general. Definitely one of the most amazing games I have ever played. Expand
  33. Nov 19, 2012
    Its very seldom that a game gets redone with this kind of shine! You can tell that 343 really put there heart and soul into Halo 4!! So lets get right to it! GRAPHIX = 10; The Graphix are the best for any shooter to date on console!! Everything is Modeled Beautifully and the style of the levels online and offline is top notch right down to the smallest detail!! Everything even little things like elevators and doors feels alive, even the new guns, you will know what I mean when you see it all! GAMEPLAY = 10; It is kind of the same old Halo. That said, it should be! Halo is a timeless classic that does not need too much change! There are plenty of new weapon's thrown into the multi-player mix to keep things interesting for a long time to come, Little things like not letting grenades drop when a player is killed changes the dynamic of the game quite a bit. This is definitely for the better!! You don't walk into a room full of dead guys and an endless supply of grenades to toss at incoming players! So far the new guns all feel balanced so far! The Campaign is done very nicely ...the story is totally engrossing and keeps you wanting to see what is going to happen next! As I had said b4 the whole game feels alive and never really gets stale! There are tons of new enemies and lvl's to shoot up with new guns!! MUSIC/SOUND EFX = 9; Very Halo! Very Suspenseful when needed! Everything seems to have a purpose and place and it also gives you that feeling that everything in the game is living and breathing! All of the Guns have been redone, everything from the sword to the BR has a different sound and almost different feel! I'm not sure if I like all of sounds to all of the old guns yet, its taking some getting use to, and it has thrown me off a few times in the beginning! But over all Everything still has that feeling of love and dedication from 343 and only time will truly tell if something is off truly. CONTROLS = 8; This is still where I wish some of the other halos would have given us a little more choice as to what buttons do what. You still have to find a preset controller setting that works for you, because there is still no custom config to the controller! I do prefer the recon setting so I at least have settled for something, but having to settle is not something I wanted to have to do! Over all the controls do work fine and they are useable! It just might be something of a decision maker for some people and might turn some people off a bit. This is also why I gave the game a 9 instead of a 10. REPLAY = 10; Halo has always had a ton of re-playability, yea after you beat the campaign you can go back through co op or with different skulls turned off and on. You can go back through on different difficulties but the story remains the same and so do the battles for the most part. The AI does change the way it fights on different difficulties and can really cause problems that being said. Multiplayer will get new map packs as it always does and its always a blast to play online multiplayer. There is a new mode that gives you weekly scheduled programs with more story and more game play that keep co op and single player exciting and fresh! Over all I think that the single player and co op is the best since Halo CE!! The story and feel of it is awe inspiring! Multiplayer is great and gets a lot of new things to play with and try out! The weekly free story updates should keep the Halo Universe rolling on until the next installment! OVER ALL = 9; This should be up for game of the year!! Yes I will say it is that good! A must have for anyone who really likes Halo and FPS fans alike ...unless your just a stubborn spec ops geek! ;p Expand
  34. Nov 19, 2012
    This game in my opinion is the best in the series. Keep in mind I thought Reach was a downgrade from Halo 2 and 3. There are huge improvements with weapons, graphics, sounds, story line in campaign, and level set up. 10/10 no doubt.
  35. Nov 19, 2012
    Let me first confess, that this is my first Halo. I have played combat evolved, but i was never extremely hardcore about the series. Everyone is reviewing after having extensive experience with the game, so this might be refreshing coming from someone fairly new to the series. I would just like to say I think this game is amazing. The multiplayer(which is all I've been doing) seems extremely balanced. No guns seem overpowering. I like that if you are being attacked, you do not immediately die, but yet have a chance to turn around and defend yourself. There are no "unfair" armor abilities. The maps are done very well, and although somewhat limited, they are never boring. The graphics look just beautiful. Visually, nothing is cluttered. Everything has a sleek look about it. I think, if you just want to have a good time, and take the game as it is, 343 has done a wonderful job. Expand
  36. Nov 19, 2012
    Halo 4 is the best game ever because it take more skill, the story is awesome because there two enemies that you have to fight and have to fight a boss that is cool! The gameplay is beast. Master Cheif is BACK
  37. Nov 20, 2012
    This game is excellent. Singleplayer: The story is lacklustre (but has real potential for sequels) and those flying things are a pain in this ass. Those two minor gripes aside, I loved the new campaign! Spartan Ops: It's revolutionary. It keeps the story going, offers great co-op content, and is a fun alternative to previous Firefight modes. Multiplayer: I love it. It seems like the majority of problems people have with it stem from the game being different than Halo 2. Since I never played much Halo 2, this isn't a problem for me! It brings modern standards to Halo, and keep it fun and exciting. However, I wish there wasn't so much overlap between different guns. I rarely find myself switching from the DMR to any other weapon. Collapse
  38. Nov 21, 2012
    this game is amazing? no, it can't be defined with words how great this is... a masterpiece, mindblowing, 10 of 10 , a classic that your childs will have to play. I am from old scholl gaming, and this is so amazing like mario, zelda and lara croft! it's even better than that
  39. Nov 24, 2012
    Halo 4 is an outstanding game and is a direct sequel to Halo 4 and is the first Halo game in the new Reclaimer saga and is the first original Halo game made by 343 industries and is backed up behind the recent Halo live action web series Forward Unto Dawn. Plot: after Halo 3, Master Chief has remained in cryogenic sleep upon the vessel known as Forward Unto Dawn, and has requested to Cortana to be re-awakened when needed. Cortana realizes that their vessel is under attack by the Covenant who have broken their truce with the humans. When she awakens chief she warns him that they are orbited an ancient Forerunner planet, Requiem. The planet's Gravity Well intiates and brings the Covenant and as well as Chief, Cortana, and The Dawn into a collision course with the planet. On Requiem, Cortana reveals she is rampant and should be dead and will eventually think herself to death. They attempt to re-establish communications with the Infinity, a massive vessel that is home to the new spartan 4 program led by Commander Del Rio. In an attempt to clear communications lines they accidently free the ancient forerunner, Diadect, who is hell bent on eliminating humanity, and whose power manipulates the Covenant and the Prometheans into becoming his army. Comparison to Halo 3: Chief sports a new look in his mark 7 armor and is a bigger and better badass then he already was. Also their is more insight into Chief's legacy, Cortana's emotions, and the Spartan program itself. the Battle Rifle returns as well as the Covenant Carbine, the option to duel wield does not return. Comparison to Halo Reach: graphics are crispier, goes back to classic Halo 3 HUD, sprint is a default part of the experience as it is now not an armor ability, the DMR returns, and the infection game mode has evolved into the more gripping Flood game mode, Firefight mode does not return. New elements for the Halo experience: A new enemy known as the Prometheans are an interesting species that weild guns that shoot light and build right into your hands. Also the oppurtunity to pilot a Pelican is now here. Multiplayer: All multiplayer matches take place on the Infinity as training simulations for the Spartan 4s. Also Spartan Ops gives you 5 new missions for 10 weeks after Halo 4's original release as long as you have an Xbox Live Gold account which you get 2 weeks free for purchasing Halo 4. This game uses create a load out customization options which make for a customized experience as well as ordanance which gives the player random killstreaks in the form of a choice of weapon, grenade, or amor ability. My opinion: Halo 4 is a must play game that will be remembered as the most revolutionary Halo title since the original Combat Evolved itself. It reminds me of Call of Duty in terms of its easy to jump into play style, and its more interactive campaign, and killstreak like create a class like system. Even the Spartan Ops remind the player of Special Ops from Modern Warfare. I would reccomend this to anyone who wants to begin gaming or to anyone who owns an Xbox 360, even so I would find a way to try out this great game. Expand
  40. Nov 24, 2012
    smooth gameplay mixed with an enticing story creates a stunning new Halo game. Spartan Ops adds quick but fun missions updated weekly. The multiplayer is among the best in all of the Halo games. The game overall is balanced, sleek and beautiful! 343 should be proud to have made a game worthy to have made a game that raises the bar on standards. 343 has shown that Halo is in capable hands.
  41. Nov 24, 2012
    Best graphics, best single player campaign, best weapons, best multiplayer. A masterpiece, 343i demonstrated the love for the series, bringing the best Halo yet to the Xbox console. Thank you
  42. Dec 24, 2012
    pacing: 99
    story: 96
    Multi player: 100
    Replay rate: 96
    Overall: 98
    Halo 4 is the best halo game ever created and probably the besthooter of the year or maybye even the game of the year
  43. Nov 28, 2012
    I easily give this game a 10/10 due to the fact that the game offers great graphics, has a slight mix of CoD, and Halo. And they've added the "Sticky Detonator" as well as some Forerunner technology with a great balance of teams and weapons. It is still rather easy to hack or mod in the game, considering I've seen a couple hackers myself and it makes me angry. The game is new though, and all new games have glitches and kinks that need to be worked out. The 343 Industries that created and developed it did an overall great job and I would play this my whole life if I could. Expand
  44. Nov 28, 2012
    Overall great game and i love the weapons although the campagin is short who gives a damn the multiplayer matters the most in games today its more like a 8.5
  45. Nov 29, 2012
    343 have more than equaled Bungie by delivering a sequel worthy of the Halo name. Not only that they have built an impressive new graphics engine which makes Halo 4 one the most stunning games ever made. Halo 4 may not feature as much inovation as people may have expected but they have crafted a slick and stunning shooter that more than rivals anything else out this year. The story has more focus, the charecters more depth. And a real emotional undercurrent has been added that asks some very interesting questions about Master Chiefs mental state. The multiplayer is so balanced and fun to play, the edition of classes and better integration of power weapons in the form of ordnance mean that even the weaker players out there will get a chance to play with cool stuff. The only downside is Spartan Ops. Hyped up to be a revolutionary episodic series spanning 5 weeks giving the player more insight to the background events of the main campaign. The problem is these levels are short lacking in any real personality and purpose. They feel more like training exercises than a supposed new adventure. This is a small issue that doesn't stop Halo 4 being the great package it is. 343 first game ever it frankly brilliant. And now the foundations have been built for the next 10 years who knows where we will end up in Halo 5. All I know is I can't to get there. Expand
  46. CMM
    Nov 30, 2012
    Halo 4 is fun, it has problems and glitches (my campaign progress was reset and it was solo legendary so I had to do it again) but overall it's a great game. I wish spartan ops was better and they had firefight.
  47. Dec 1, 2012
    Congratulations to 343i Studios for creating such a masterpiece of gaming. Through my personal playing of all the aspects of Halo 4, I have only encountered a few minor glitches, that literally have done nothing to slow me down.
    Looking at Halo 4, you would be hard pressed to believe this isn't a next-gen title, as the graphics are utterly stunning, and demonstrate what a talented team of
    developers can do with outdated technology. 343i's emphasis on story and personal connections in Halo 4 comes shining through with a deep, emotional rollercoaster that will have you sitting on the edge of your seat through most of the game. From the absolutely stunning beginning, all the way through to the mind-blowing ending, Halo 4 keeps you wanting more and more.
    Not to be outdone by the incredible campaign, the multiplayer emerges as the best in the entire series. The use of ordinance drops and new game modes makes for an entertaining and balanced competitive multiplayer scene. Meanwhile, Spartan ops delivers a fresh and compelling entry into the series. The use of CG scenes to lay the foundation for the impressive firefight-based missions adds to the overall story based experience 343i wanted to deliver. As always, Forge represents the continuing advancement of player generated content, allowing for an unrivaled creation mode. This review truly doesn't do Halo 4 justice, and the only advice I can truly offer at this point is, go out and try it. You won't be disappointed.
  48. Dec 2, 2012
    I love this game. The graphics are immense and the campaign is also brilliant. Multiplayer has brilliant maps and guns. Ordnance is a feature I love and forge is great for building anything you like, the magnets really help.
  49. Mar 8, 2013
    Graphics:10///GAMEPLAY:10///Story:7///Soundtracks:10
    ----------9 masterpiece---------------
    a must have game for the Xbox,if you did not play the series before(like me),i highly recommend to watch all the cut scenes on YouTube to be familiar with the universe of Halo.
    the guns are absolotly amazing,vihcels are a little bit buggy,but also cool.best graphics for a seven generation consol
    ,especially the faces of the characters are so real.the music is fantastic...
    there is only one big PROBLEM in this game,be sure to read this:NO AUTO SAVE IN CAMPAIGN,not even a save menu,checkpoints are not saved unless you press start and choose save and quit,i lost three missions when i shutdown my Xbox.
    also the story plot is not up to the game,but it is good.
  50. Dec 5, 2012
    Score- 10.0 (Having trouble with Metacritic's Score system)

Halo 4 is an epic science fiction tale if there ever was one. It is a superbly crafted game that fully captures the essence of the Halo universe left by Bungie Studios. Bungie's successor in developing the Halo franchise, 343 Industries are clearly people who love Halo this makes the game all te better. 343 has put in tons of
    improvements into this game, and whether it be storytelling, graphics, sound, this propels Halo 4 above and beyond my expectations, making it one of the best games of this year, if not one of the best in this generation. The story is fantastic and is possibly the best in the Halo franchise to date. It harkened back to Combat Evolved, where Master Chief an Cortana discover a strange planet an encounter new enemies, unlike anything seen before. In Halo 4, the Chief and Cortana discover the Forerunner planet of Requiem, which is filled with brand new lush environments in which the game takes place. These environments are beautiful and fun to play around in. We also meet the Prometheans, who are a nice fresh enemy group that challenges your skills and tactics. The story here is mostly focused on the relationship between Cortana and Master Chief, which creates an emotional attachment to the characters that hasn't been seen in a Halo fame before. You will definitely feel the emotional impact by the end of this game. The graphics have surpassed anything I thought was capable of the Xbox 360. It is definitely up there with the top visual games of the generation, and the CGI in cutscenes shines. The sound has been completely overhauled. The arsenal of weapons at your disposal is phenomenal and all of these weapons sound fierce in their own right. The guns pack a heavy punch upon firing, creating an incredibly satisfying moment when you obliterate someone with an Incineration Cannon, or mow someone down with the Assault Rifle (which isn't half bad in this game). The multiplayer has been adjusted to be similar to games such as Call of Duty or Battlefield; and that's not a bad thing. You can now create custom loadouts, which creates the tactical class building feel of other games, while still maintaining the traditional Halo feel. Power weapons are still scattered around, but they are able to be seen on the player's HUD, making them a hotspot for intense firefights. Also added to the class building system are abilities (returning from Reach) which areuch more balanced this time around, and "perk-esque" traits (such as unlimited sprint, faster reload and weapon swap, etc.). This is a welcome addition and allows more variety in the gameplay. The gameplay of multiplayer still feels like traditional Halo, but with these improvements, it feels even better. Replacing Firefight mode from ODST and Reach is Spartan Ops, which is episodic missions, accompanied by a CGI cutscene story. Each Episode composes of 5 chapters, but they are very short (a whole episode takes about 1-1.5 hours on Legendary). They're fun diversions, albeit minimal ones. Still they add longevity to the game, which is already sprouting with it. There are some minor annoyances however. The jump from Normal to Heroic and legendary difficulties in Halo 4 is large and very hard. Hali's legendary mode has never been forgiving, but Halo 4's difficulty spikes are extreme. While this, and the removal of Firefight make for slight annoyances they can't damage hiw good this game is. Halo 4 is not a perfect game. There never has, and never will be a perfect game. But Halo 4 is probably the closest we'll get for this generation of consoles. It may not be perfect, but is so, damn close. Expand
  51. Mar 25, 2013
    Halo 4 brings back the ultimate Halo game experience with awesomeness and intensity. Halo fans will be pleased.
  52. Dec 25, 2012
    My hats off to 343, they managed to craft a unique but classically feeling halo title. Though it is not perfect, as it has minor weapon balancing issues, as well as forge not having as many improvements as it should. It has become more modern and fast paced, but at the same time juxtaposes this with old school shooter mechanics and does this so extremely well that fears of it becoming just another shooter are completely extinguished upon becoming an experienced player. The campaign story is fantastic but quick time events take you out of the mood sometimes just for cool screen effect but it doesn't detract a single think from the gameplay itself or its incredible story that's told. Spartan ops is an intriguing new mode that packs a lot of fun in a 15 minute level but suffers from reused environments though this is said to less common in later episodes, which by the way are weekly dlc. This mode is good but has much potential to be better. The multiplayer is one of the best in the series, second only to halo 3. As said before, it is more modern as it has load outs and perks. The perks don't break the game in any way and in fact only seem to help you work your way around the map your currently playing on. Though games such as cod have perks, halo does it slightly different in that they are just for style, with a few exceptions, such as dexterity which speeds up reload speeds. The game has also added random ordinance drops, which is a new spin on the classic halo tradition of finding weapons on the map, also tied to this is the personal ordinance, which at first may seem like a cod rip off, think again because instead of getting a bomber to fly over and get kills for you, you get a choice between 3 random choices of weapons grenades and power ups, all you need is 4 kills, thats it its not really a streak. As a whole personal ordinance is a great new addition and is perfectly original. Once again halo 4 is a great game that has old school shooter roots mixed with modern mechanics in its multiplayer and has evolved much since reach, while staying true to its own style rather than becoming a cod clone. It's definitely a must by for halo fans. Oh and check out halo 4 forward unto dawn, which is a live action 5 parts web series about the beginning of the human covenant war within the halo universe Expand
  53. Dec 26, 2012
    Fan of the Halo franchise, and is a fantastic start to a new trilogy. Graphics, sound, combat, multi-player, everything was just great... except for Johnson not being there.
  54. Dec 26, 2012
    This review is from the perspective of a guy who is busy with life. My time is filled with working, traveling, going to the gym and cooking meals. I spend time with my wife and friends, and have a little time left over for everything else. Gaming is a one form of entertainment I enjoy, along with movies and sports. The original Halo on xbox was one of the best gaming experiences of my life. I rate it up there with Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, and the like. It was mind blowing to play through coop with a friend. Driving the warthog, throwing grenades, flying, jumping, swarming enemies. It was a blast! Not only was it fun, but it was epic. The graphics were awe-inspiring. It was like being the lead in a science fiction movie. All of the love for Halo has been once again renewed for Halo 4. The previous follow ups have all been ok, but not able to capture the near perfection of the first game. Halo 4 does it. Graphics- mind blowing. How they taken a 5+ year old console and put together flowing work of art like this I do not know. Playing this on in my home theater, on a 120" screen is incredible. Sound again perfection. The music track, the weapons sounds- they sound powerful and heavy, but not overly booming. Story was actually interesting. Picking this up every few weeks for two months to beat it. I could actually follow along and get what the hell they were talking about (for the most part). I don't touch the multiplayer as busy lives don't leave time for that. For an epic, fun single player experience, on an old console mind you, it doesn't get any better than this. Buy it or rent it, and enjoy the heck out of it. Then get back to the real world. Expand
  55. Dec 26, 2012
    When I saw people's opinions were mitigated about Halo 4, I was expecting a medium quality game. It isn't that at all : one can see devs put a lot of efforts making it, and one can feel it. Indeed, it differs of the first games in some points, but my overall impression is very good : nice multi and nice campaign, plus another mode which extends game's life. I don't regret my purchase at all!
    A big good point of the game is the splitscreen : it is one of the rare games in which you can play with three friends on the same console. And you have fun!
  56. Dec 27, 2012
    I went out today to go and buy this game. It was my first ever Halo game. It is the best game i have brought in a long time. I thought it would be hard to play as i have brought every call of duty game what has been out. I got the hang of this game very quick and i would recommend it to anyone. If you want anymore help finding out about the game or any other games add me on Xbox Pro Hearne
  57. Dec 29, 2012
    I personally found this game a blast. This is one of the few shooters that has come out lately that the story really draws me in. If you feel lost or confused about it, find the terminals in Halo 3 to learn more about the two main forerunners and Halo 4 terminals to fill in the gaps of Halo 4's main story. For this installment 343 definitely pushed the graphics as far as they good. While graphics don't make a game, I would like to note that there are no graphic glitches I am aware of and the frame rate is great. As for combat, the introduction of new weaponry and enemies keeps things fun. The knights are tough, and on legendary they are a great challenge. 343 is also giving us Spartan Ops, which for those not familiar are weekly installments of five missions and a episode explaining the events of the USNC Infinity. These provide lots of replay-ability with or without friends. Multiply player is still amazing. For those concerned about load-outs, relax they are ok. The guns you can have in a load-out are all the basic weapons, you can't have rockets, which means most players of all levels will have rather balanced load-outs. Overall I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to all who enjoy first person shooters. Hope this review helps. Expand
  58. Jan 1, 2013
    Amazing game i mean cortanas pretty much naked and the gameplay is at its peak graphics are at its peak real flood and bigger maps more destructive combat.
  59. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a very good game, great multiplayer and great sound design and graphics. The only complaint I have about it is the length of the campaign, it's not as long as the other Halo games and you could finish it in a couple of days. Multiplayer should keep you busy for a long time though, and spartan ops is a good new mode that was added. Spartan ops is like a new mini campaign, the missions aren't long but they aren't meant to be long so I like it. Any Xbox player should pick this up. Expand
  60. Jan 4, 2013

Great graphics. Amazing gameplay. Diffrent armors guns everything. Only down fault in my opinion is the Story, I love teh cut scenes, But the gameplay itself could of been way better. They did very well on this game.
  61. Jan 6, 2013
    Amazing game! The graphics upgrade that 343 has done on this game is simply outstanding. The new campaign was entertaining and I really enjoyed it. The new Spartan Ops feature is great (New missions with cut scenes done in seasons). At first I was disappointed 343 removed Firefight, but have enjoyed Spartan Ops much more now anyway. The multiplayer is as tight as ever and tons of new weapons and abilities and to the package. This game has broken all my expectations and is my favorite Halo game ever. Expand
  62. Jan 14, 2013
    Halo 4 is a fun game with hours of enjoment to be had. The campaign is well thoughtout and has a very gripping story line, with graphics that are to die for. War Games is equally enjoyable and the many game types on offer prevent you from becoming bored of the same old team slayer, the loudouts give you a choice of what weapon you wish to bring to the battle field, instead of fighting with someone because they picked up the weapon you wanted. Spartan ops is also fun however compaired to the campaign it can seem a bit bland and too short missions leave the player wanting more. Therefore I think 343 have done an all round good job in carrying on the Halo 4 series that we all know and love. Expand
  63. Jan 15, 2013
    Brilliant graphics . Solid shooting and amazing new guns. Multiplayer is the best . Campaign story is so gooood and intresting cant wait to find out what happens in this amazing trilogy . 343 industries made the best halo game to date.
  64. Jan 24, 2013
    +Awesome Campaign
    +Cool Multiplayer
    +Spartan Ops
    +Master Chief is Back!
    +Gorgerous Graphics Halo 4 is a masterpiece game,graphics,campaign ad multiplayer
  65. Jan 20, 2013
    An extremely good game with superb level design. Its storytelling and gameplay are also great with improved gunplay and movement mechanics. However, it doesn't match the original trilogy's quality. It's not as long and doesn't have nearly the same lasting impact those games left behind. You'll also miss the original trilogy's musical score because although this game's is good it's not nearly as masterful. It also doesn't have as much epic grandeur as those games even if it has more than most others. The bottom line: An excellent game living in the shadows of its predecessors. Expand
  66. Jan 24, 2013
    I gave halo 4 a 9/10 because it wasn't perfect. Halo 4's campaign was compelling and I didn't want to stop until I new the end. I was a little disappointing in the end but I still liked it. Originally I was going to buy Borderlands 2 but when I saw how you could customize your Spartan on how you want it to look. I liked how you had to unlock helmets, armor, and stances to make the coolest spartan. The only bad thing about Halo 4 is that in Spartan Ops it has a little when there are a lot of explosions. All of these reasons is why Halo 4 is one of my favorites. It's so good I still play it online. Expand
  67. Jan 28, 2013
    10/10 is the minimum i would have give a 11/10
    This is the game of the years the best game in the world
    Fun and not violent like the others fps this game is the best game i know the reason I sold my ps3 and buy a xbox360
    You will love it as I do
    Enjoy ;)
  68. Jan 29, 2013
    343 industries has managed to do what many including myself would have deemed an impossible task. They have managed to both keep the Halo that I know and love while at the same time making slight adjustments to the formula, most notably in the multiplayer. While some of the story elements are poorly explained within the game itself, though those of you who read the books should find them perfectly understandable, I found the overall story to be satisfying and the ending resonated with me long after I put down the controller. In short Halo 4 is an exceptional game and while some may complain of the ordinance drops or the tactical packages in multiplayer, I can honestly say as a devout Halo fan that this is the most fun I've had playing a Halo game in years and that most importantly of all it still feels exactly how Halo should. Expand
  69. Jan 29, 2013
    Before I played Halo 4, I was a big Call of Duty fan. I fell like ever since Modern Warfare 2, the series has been going down ever since. I couldn't stand Black Ops 2 anymore and I decided to try something different. I can honestly say Halo 4 is the first Halo game I have ever played, and the best FPS I have ever played. The story was remarkable, the guns were great, the sound was great, everything to me was great. 343 Industries did a great job of creating their first Halo game. If I have to nit pick certain stuff, Spartan Ops to me is kinda boring and really has no replay value compared to the campaign. Another criticism I would have is since Halo's multiplayer has taken a Call of Duty approach, I expected there to be more maps to choose from. I usually find myself playing the same maps over and over again like exile. Last is the music, don't get me wrong I love the music in Halo 4, but I found it a little disappointing that they didn't input some of the original music in the game. Nevertheless, Halo 4 is great! I really recommend this game anyone! Expand
  70. Feb 14, 2013
    another masterpiece of a halo game the story,music, game play and visuals are astounding and of the same high standard as the bungie halo games.the multiplier is the best on console with spartan ops as a interesting add-on to the single player. 343 keep up the good work
  71. Feb 16, 2013
    The best Halo since 1 in my opinion. While the story is a bit incoherent at times, and leaves me not caring most of the time honestly, this is still the most fun I've had playing a Halo game since 1. The weapons are fun to use, and the integration of CoD-esque multiplayer formats are a warm welcome for Halo. Can't wait to see how 343 handles the rest of the trilogy.
  72. Apr 24, 2013
    Es un gran juego 343 INDUSTRIES hiso este epico juego de la epica saga de HALO al principio no me gusto para nada pero luego de unas semanas jugandolo me di cuenta de lo genial que era el mejor juego del 2012 de seguro
  73. Mar 1, 2013
    I personally, being a halo fan-boy think that this is the second best of all the halo games! I loved the campaign, with drawback on the extremely long missions. The best halo game i think is halo 2. This game is mainly focused for online game play since after the campaign there is nothing to do unless you have xbox live. Other than that this is one of the best games i have ever played!
  74. Mar 4, 2013
    The game is very good and spartan ops and Online are great but the campaign should be longer and tell more of a story plus have more main characters but you should be able to freely roam the infinity
  75. Mar 10, 2013
    10/10 probably a 9.5 really but this, in my opinion, is the best Halo since the first 2. I completed 3 and bought both Reach ODST but never managed to complete them as i got to bored too quickly...
  76. Mar 11, 2013
    The greatest game ever made? Yes. Hands down the best game I have ever played since I first shot a Nazi in Wolfenstein 3D. The story is epic; even emotional if you're at all attached to the Chief Cortana. If you're not...you will be. Without a doubt the best graphics I've seen on the 360. The gameplay is intense, varied, and enthralling. Thankfully the new multiplayer system doesn't disappoint either. Matches seem to be better balanced and the customization of your Spartan and your loadouts is very well thought out. I've played the game all the way through twice on Heroic Legendary and will play it again it's that good. Not one complaint about this game. It has set the bar for all future first-person shooters. Expand
  77. Mar 18, 2013
    Campaign was long and hard, but it was good and awesome how it finished. Legendary mode got 10x harder since Bungie on Halo Reach. Multilayer is fun, and they keep adding new game modes so players wont get bored. File Sharing was a issue but 4 or so months later they fixed and made sure it worked.. and now it does both on the game and website. The Halo way point app hasn't been updated yet to track stats in which it is sad but thats another thing. Overall its a good game, and we can now see that 343 is not just a Microsoft company but the future for Halo Series to come. Expand
  78. Mar 20, 2013
    This game is absolutely beautiful! I have been a long-time fan of the Halo series, and when I heard that Halo 4 was finally coming out, I was extremely excited! Now that I have had the chance to play through all the content available, I must say it is hard to find a problem with this game. For an ageing console, the graphics are simply stunning. Controls are still tight, so that is still not broken. Enemy and friendly AI is more challenging then ever, especially on harder difficulties. The story in the campaign was well-written, and touching at times. Spartan Ops started off slow, but recently has truly turned into a good story. The biggest beef that people keep bringing up is '343 stole from CoD'. I will tell you that the multiplayer in Halo 4 is nothing like Call of Duty's. Nothing at all! The supposed things ripped of the competition were used in countless games before CoD, and are used in ways that still provide balance and keep the game feeling like Halo. This game is worth the buy, 100%! Expand
  79. Apr 9, 2013
    Awesome Game which must be played.
    Good: Graphics are amazing, controls are different but good,great multiplayer modes, split-screen is great, variety of modes, new enemies are interesting, the story can be understood without reading the books, tons of customization, Bad A Steep Learning Curve if you're new to Halo, Campaign is sometimes a bit too chaotic
    10/10 Just Buy It Seriously
  80. Apr 16, 2013
    10/10. Amazing game. One of the best I've played. Introduces new and fresh ideas to it's franchise and stays true to it's skill based gameplay. people who claim it's bad because of it's new features in the multiplayer. Those people are stupid and every thing could be explained in 1 sentence. For example people really hate the ordnance drops. Claiming that they are kill streak rewards. They're f*cking idiots. It is a not a killstreak reward you can get these ordnance drops only in one game mode and you don't even have to go on a streak you just get them over time by accumulating points. Not kills. And even at that the ordnance drops are seriously just a way to drop power weapons that you can already find on the map to your position. Heck, often time's their only grenades and stuff. Everything else is top notch. Expand
  81. Mar 26, 2013
    Wow. That's how you would sum up Halo 4 in one word. Great story, addicting multiplayer,and great ending. Probably the only complaint would be the DMR being over powered. But if playing everything else in the game you won't care. Please if you're a halo fan stop reading this review and buy this game. You won't be disappointed.
  82. Apr 5, 2013
    This is the Halo you have been waiting for, With plenty of new weapons and a new race of enemies, The Promethean's, This game does not disappoint. The campaign is more interested in Master Chiefs and Cortana's relationship as Cortana is quickly deteriorating due to Rampancy. As Master Chief fights to get back to Earth to save Cortana he must fend off the Didact who wants to destroy Humanity. The Multiplayer has been completely redesigned, Now with new matchmaking, More player customization, And maps made specifically for Multiplayer. The multiplayer is brilliantly balanced, Every gun is different yet the same. Spartan Ops is replacing Firefight though. But is is well worth the trade off, Being able to play as a Spartan-IV in a completely free weekly DLC that expands after the main campaign makes you feel more alive than any other game. You feel like you make a difference in these missions. The game looks astounding and sounds astounding. The graphics are the most outstanding in the series and the musical score fits the tone of the game. If you enjoy Halo then this is the game for you. Expand
  83. Apr 2, 2013
    Halo 4 is a fantastic FPS. It is far better than Halo Reach and outclasses it in every way. The campaign is slightly better with awesome enemies and a good storyline. The online multiplayer is far better than Halo Reach with good maps and some from older games. However, it wasn't as good as the classic Halo 3. I still highly recommend, but I still don't feel it was as classic and simple as Halo 3.
  84. Apr 4, 2013
    If you're a Halo fan, this game will make a fine addition to your collection. Fantastic campaign, even better multiplayer, and Spartan Ops is a welcome co-op addition that adds another element to the story. For forge lovers, like myself, there are some things they left out that might disappoint you, but it's still solid, especially with the recent addition of "Forge Islands". Overall, the best arcade FPS game on the Xbox 360 right now. If you're a Halo fan, you will not regret purchasing this. Expand
  85. Apr 8, 2013
    I know this review is really late. I got Halo 4 on launch (Nov 6) but since I am new to Metacritic I am writing the review now because I recently just went through the game again. I have beaten the game on every difficulty level and can honestly say they ramp up the difficulty perfectly. The game is tough but fair. You need to be extremely tactical in Legendary mode. The Master Chief story continues in Halo 4 and I have to say, I think it's the best yet. I have played through every Halo game but I think this one stands above the rest. 343 has done an excellent job taking over from Bungie which isn't an easy thing to do. The story is truly epic, and you get to see a different side to the Chief, his human side. It's nice to see under all that armour that there is a living, thinking person under there. He talks a lot in this game, I would say more than the 3 previous Halo games combined. In terms of multiplayer, again very well done. Combat and maps feel fresh. This is a must own game for any 360 user. Expand
  86. Apr 22, 2013
    Halo 4 is definately the best exclusive game on the xbox 360 and thats no easy feat. the single player campaign is pretty good, i dont hink as good as halo 2 or 3 but a good start to a new trillogy staring the one and only master chief. the graphics in the game are quite amazing with lighting that is the true showcase for the game. halo has finnaly come out on top with the graphics are concerned compaired to cod of battlefield. the controls have been tweeked yet again from halo reach where u can now run by default which is very nice and overall i think the contols are quite tight. they did replace the firefight game mode with a new mode called spartan ops which is a nice addition as it has a story in it that goes beyond the campaign as well as letting you use your own spartan. but what really shines is the multiplayer which as been the case for as long as halo has been around. the new perk and armor abilities really spice it up and make the game stand on its own as far as fps games go. the maps both on the cd and dlc are amazing as well with some sure classics in the group such as haven and complex. if you are a halo fan, fps fan, multiplayer fan, or just want a good game this is where it is at. i have over 5 days put into the multiplayer alone. dont think about it just buy it. nuff said. Expand
  87. Apr 23, 2013
    The ending. Enough said. Halo 4 was saved by the incredibly emotional ending. MP is usual Halo so no real problems there. The game is overall probably the weakest Halo game in terms of varied gameplay, however the ending is so strong that it makes it quite memorable.
  88. Apr 24, 2013
    Game is amazing, was very skeptical. Campaign was consistent brilliance, and multiplayer is fantastic! I just wish the maps were more memorable. I give this a 10/10. A little bias but its because I love Halo
  89. Apr 25, 2013
    I am a very big halo fan and let me tell you this game has passed all my expectation the graphics for this game are beautiful The story is about 8 hours for the average player Some people are giving this game negative reviews maybe its because of the new intro of amour ability Don't allow other players thought about this game change your thought about this I gave this gamer a ten of ten for the soul reason the story blows my mind People can say no game is perfect but this game is worth every penny Its a must buy for me Expand
  90. Aug 6, 2013
    retsdtfyghkjl;fgdhjkl;fghbjknm,rdtfghjkl;drtfghjklm;,dfrtghbjknml,esrdfghjkersdtbhjnkmesdrfgbhjnkmawdsbhjnwaesrdxcfgvbhjneawftgyhjnkswftbhjnftbhjdrtfgyhuersdftgyhjk
  91. Aug 17, 2013
    Un très bon jeu quoi qu'on en dise les développeurs ont vraiment bosser dessus et ça se sent
    après il y'a des défauts comme tous les jeu et des choses qui peuvent ne pas plaire aux fans de la licence comme moi mais on les oublis vite vu la qualité du jeu.
  92. Nov 30, 2013
    Definitely lives up to the standard of this franchise. The campaign is intriguing, interesting and engaging as ever; they even correctly referenced the ending of Halo 3 in the beginning of Halo 4. The plot is kind of slow in the beginning, but easily picks up in a little over half an hour, and new weapons and abilities are sprinkled throughout. The ending [NO spoiler] is very reminiscent of a Bioshock game, and sets the game up for an epic sequel.

The graphics are probably one of the best features of this game. Visually stunning, 343 has improved the game engine drastically, with better shadows, lighting, lens flares, anti-aliasing, textures, and many other great things. Whether you melee an enemy or fire a rocket at a moving car, you can feel the kick from the weapon and hear a satisfying crack as you break a hole in your enemy's skull, all without audio spam.

The soundtrack is superb, as should be expected for a Halo game. In order to fully understand why, you have to listen to it yourself. Epic, expanding, and fitting for the mood of Halo, you won't be disappointed by the audio in this game.

Finally, the multiplayer has been improved and refined in many ways. While the maps may be a little lackluster, weapon loadouts and 343's own take on perks will keep the game fresh and exhilarating, and an HD remake of the classic Halo 3 map Valhalla will trigger your nostalgia.

Overall, a visually well-crafted game with few cons and many pros that will leave you satisfied with the series, game, and what is to come.
  93. Dec 6, 2013
    It's an Amazing game! Definitely worth a 10! It's campaign, like all Halo games is amazing with the best graphics you can get on the Xbox 360. If you're done with the campaign there's a healthy and fun multiplayer which you can play for a longer time than COD. Trust m,e the multiplayer beats that of COD.
  94. Dec 7, 2013
    A terrific game, 343 did a really good job with the storyline and enemy/weapon design. Although it would've been nice if there where more levels. The ending left me wanting more, and after seeing what 343 could do I have high hopes for Halo5
  95. Jan 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a recent Halo fan (having been introduced to the series last September with Halo CEA), I have loved the series for being the first FPS I truly respect. So, when I saw that there were even MORE Halo games, I immediately ordered all. I was expecting to enjoy 3 the most after all, I heard from a lot of forums that Halo 3 was the best game in the series, that it is unsurpassed, and that Halo 4 is way worse than that.

Is it me or did they wear nostalgia glasses? Halo 3 bored me.

From the beginning, I was bored. In the middle, I was bored. Near the end, they even screwed it up and turned the game from an epic defense of the Earth to a trip to the Ark. They should have closed the Earth storyline and focused on the ark here, because story progression was bad. No offense Bungie but I'm disappointed. If anything the best Bungie game in the series was Halo Reach, which was NEAR PERFECT, so I didn't get why people dissed it.

What they dissed even more was Halo 4. They say all sorts of things it sucks, it's CoD with a Halo paintjob, it has the worst campaign, they totally ruined multiplayer, and 3 looks better than 4 (no kidding, I saw this in the forums). However, reading critic reviews I expected much from it.

So I booted it up... and played... and didn't stop because I couldn't stop.

It was amazing. The visuals are among the best I've seen it can't beat Crysis on a technical level but I prefer Halo 4 in art style and lighting. I particularly liked how the environments have massive detail and feel open, unlike the closed style of many earlier games (even the amazing Halo CE had some disappointing corridor shooting scenes). The AI was great, and the Prometheans (new enemies) got you on your toes. The soundtrack was amazing, I actually prefer its emotional and atmospheric style to the Halo CE soundtrack (which was amazing but set some battles in elevator music). Multiplayer was good it's not perfect (personal loadouts are a bad thing), but it's fun

But what really wowed me was the story. I liked the progression. Maybe it's because I'm familiar with Halo, but I didn't find it convulted. In fact, it progressed beautifully, with all the plot twists being carefully placed. The only other games I know that match it are Halo CE and Halo Reach. The main story is that Master Chief and Cortana on a torn spaceship Forward Unto Dawn stumbled upon a Forerunner planet named Reqiuem, home to a race of Forerunner warriors who simply fight all that intrude the planet...

...until the awakening of the Didact, the ruler of the Forerunner warrior caste, who commands his Promethean army against Humanity. Though at first Master Chief seems to succeed, things turn bad when the Didact was able to retrieve the Composer, a Forerunner device used to turn sentient beings from organic flesh to digital data. At first the device was used to convert beings to AI, saving them from the Flood (an infection that brainwashes, mutates and commands life it eats), but when turned back to organic the people would be horrifying abominations. The Didact still believed in its use, unlike the Librarian who decided to support the Halo Array and start the galaxy from scratch.

The Composer, retrieved by the Ivanoff Research Station orbiting Halo Installation 03, was snatched from the station by the Didact, and despite the Chief's struggle to save the scientists, the Composer was activated and obliterated all humans the weapon was aimed at. Luckily, the Chief's augmentations from the Spartan-II program and the genetic evolution acceleration received from the Librarian helped him survive the blast, but he was blacked out. As he wakes up, he discovers that the Didact was moving the Composer to Earth, about to obliterate humanity. When the Chief gets there, he was able to stop some systems, but too late the Composer was activated and aimed at the city of New Phoenix, its citizens all obliterated by the weapon. To stop the Composer from disintegrating the rest of humanity, he primes a nuke into the Composer, to sacrifice himself...

What happens next I shall not spoil for maximum impact.

However, what truly amazes me is the relationship of John-117 (Master Chief) and Cortana. Not love, but their dependence on each other and how they reach a goal. In the story, Cortana falls into rampancy she exceeded her operational capacity and age, and is breaking down due to malfunctions. As the Chief struggles to get her back to Earth to allow her creator (Dr. Halsey) to find a solution, they discover what it means to be human, and what it means to be a machine. Cortana truly wanted to be human but being artificial intelligence, there really was a barrier. The Chief is human, but is like a machine fulfilling all duties. Who is human, and who is machine, then?

It is this existential pondering that truly makes Halo 4 beautiful. It's not perfect, but it doesn't deserve a 9. It's not flawless, but it proved 343 is worthy.

Screw the forums.
  96. Jan 11, 2014
    One word Amazing. halo 4 took the Halo series into a new direction but still felt like halo. multiplayer was fantastic and I have to admit for the campaign, its almost better than halo 3s. got to say second best halo game and I cant wait till halo 5.
  97. Jan 13, 2014
    Greatest Halo game!
    High quality feeling and audio, at 1080p it's graphics rival those of next gen!
    Though I miss the original Halo music, the new music is memorable and emotional..
  98. Jan 20, 2014
    Love halo. Great graphics, great gameplay, great upgrades. Multiplayer fell for me though, the ranking systems has no penalization if u lose, you dont know how high a players real ranking is, its more about how many games u play rather than wins/losses or kills/deaths. This caused multiplayer to be less serious, no one cared who won/lost, and no one talked because teamwork is only important if you need to win. Expand
  99. Jan 27, 2014
    Es simplemente increíble desde el primer momento que comienza hasta es ultimo segundo de la campaña, no hay absolutamente nada que discutir. pasamos de una historia limitada a tocar incluso entrar en el universo tan complejo de halo, gráficos excelentes, la historia es por mas que interesante y nos conecta emocionalmente con Master Chief y Cortana, el multijugador es para admirar supera lo imaginable con innumerables formas de juego, armas y vehiculos, cambiaron totalmente la forma de ver los juegos, las habilidades y capacidad mental, sin mencionar que tiene una de las mejores bandas sonoras que puede haber en la historia de los videojuegos, sin duda es el mejor Halo, y el regreso mas épico para Master Chief. Expand
  100. Mar 17, 2014
    With astounding graphics, immersive campaign, addicting multiplayer, and a surprisingly fun spartan ops mode, halo 4 is a fantastic entry to the halo franchise, and arguably one of the best halo games ever.
  101. Nov 20, 2012