7.0

1. May 27, 2014
    This game has the only thing that really matters which is that is a fun game to play, if having fun isn't enoughfor you ton like something then cconsider the following.
    Graphics: 10/10
    Good cut scenes, a beautiful environment. Story: 7.5 The story was good but still felt like something 343 put out solely to make more money Gameplay: 10 I already said I think its fun Plus like most
    Graphics: 10/10
    Good cut scenes, a beautiful environment.
    Story: 7.5
    Gameplay: 10
    I already said I think its fun

Plus like most previous games the soundtrack was awesome to listen to, enough so that I bought it on CD
  2. May 29, 2014
    I feel Halo 4 is like a breath of fresh air to the Halo series. I've been around since the beginning of the Halo franchise. So I know what I'm talking about. The story mode wasn't the best for a Halo game, however the multiplayer feels so much better compared to previous Halo games, there's barely any campers, the specializations are really awesome. The only downside is the ordinanceI feel Halo 4 is like a breath of fresh air to the Halo series. I've been around since the beginning of the Halo franchise. So I know what I'm talking about. The story mode wasn't the best for a Halo game, however the multiplayer feels so much better compared to previous Halo games, there's barely any campers, the specializations are really awesome. The only downside is the ordinance drops, but I admit I kinda like it cause I'm the killer, not the victim. So I get ordinance quite a bit. I didn't like the fact how whoever has the rocket launcher wins the game in previous halo titles In halo 4 YOU ARE THE WEAPON. I just wish they had elites, invasion mode, firefight, and better armor customization. I don't want a paint job, I WANT A ROBOT ARM!!! Expand
  3. Sep 10, 2014
    I certainly enjoyed the game overall but not as much as i would of liked, great story as per usual and graphics were fantastic. just lacked that special feel of previous games such as Halo 2 and Combat evolved. 8/10
  4. Jul 14, 2014
    This is the best halo game out there right now. Halo 2 was the best back then, Halo 4 is the best of this generation. It features war games, improved graphics, new gametypes such as flood. The first half of the campaign kept me interested but right around the second half I got bored immediately. What I really care about in this game is the multiplayer. Multiplayer is key to Halo right now.This is the best halo game out there right now. Halo 2 was the best back then, Halo 4 is the best of this generation. It features war games, improved graphics, new gametypes such as flood. The first half of the campaign kept me interested but right around the second half I got bored immediately. What I really care about in this game is the multiplayer. Multiplayer is key to Halo right now. Forge is more improved now to the point where I don't think it could go any farther now. The things I hate are how overpowered the grenades are, the loading screens, bugs from campaign and mutliplayer and the loading time to switch from forging or fighting. Expand
  5. Jan 23, 2015
    In my opinion, this is the best Halo game out of Halo 1,2, and 3. It has a strong story, very good voice acting, and spectacular graphics. The ending of the campaign will hit you hard, I guarantee it. The only thing this game lacks is the firefight mode, which is a really fun aspect of a Halo game. 9/10 (Awesome)
  6. Feb 6, 2015
    this game had a great campaign, a good mulitiplayer, and amazing graphics. i don't know why people are saying the multiplayer is uneven and bad. MOST maps, AND I MEAN MOST MAPS are symmetrical. there are a few that are not, like abandon. but most of the other maps are symmetric, like haven. also if you don't play infinity slayer, then there are no ordnance drops form players. thethis game had a great campaign, a good mulitiplayer, and amazing graphics. i don't know why people are saying the multiplayer is uneven and bad. MOST maps, AND I MEAN MOST MAPS are symmetrical. there are a few that are not, like abandon. but most of the other maps are symmetric, like haven. also if you don't play infinity slayer, then there are no ordnance drops form players. the mulitiplayer is even, I don't care what people say. and loadouts are even because everyone can have the same perks and guns as everyone else. great game Expand
  7. Mar 29, 2013
    Halo 4 sits somewhere between Halo 3 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3. While Halo 4 is clearly a good game, it is not great game. Despite the flourish of new graphics, the series has lost some of its trademark character. The new enemies, the Promotheans, are mute tanks that flitter, scurry, and teleport. They do not, however, flank, retreat, or do anything memorable. The PromotheanHalo 4 sits somewhere between Halo 3 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3. While Halo 4 is clearly a good game, it is not great game. Despite the flourish of new graphics, the series has lost some of its trademark character. The new enemies, the Promotheans, are mute tanks that flitter, scurry, and teleport. They do not, however, flank, retreat, or do anything memorable. The Promothean weapons are even more boring: every Promothean weapon is a futuristic looking version of one of today's weapons. The only new kind of weapons are a rail gun and a sticky detonator, and each shows up sparingly in the campaign. A prime opportunity to add some interesting new ideas to Halo has been squandered. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In terms of progressing the series, I found it odd that "Halo 4" explicitly tells players to scavenge weapons from fallen combatants. In later levels, when combatants are many and dropped weapons are few, the game compensates by giving you crate upon crate of grenades and weapons. Placing the strategic choice of weapons in the hands of the player is a staple of Halo games, but those choices are meaningless if the game gives players an inexhaustible armory of the same kinds of weapons. At least 343 returned the health system pioneered in Halo 2. After your shields fall, you can take a few hits while you duck for cover. This system works and keeps the flow of the game moving. Halo 4 has a constant momentum to the point of providing dialogue and backstory through driving sequences rather than non-playable cut scenes. 343 did not entirely understand Bungie's snippets of fun mojo, and Halo's musical staple, the dun-dun-dun-dun guitar riff, was completely absent. In fact, pulse pounding music of any kind was absent, giving a sense of emptiness to many of the early levels. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The game also abuses the mechanic of go to several places on the same level and press several buttons. I prefer the old challenges of figuring out how to fit a Warthog into a doorway. Nevertheless, Halo 4 provides several opportunities to run, drive, or fly past past enemies to the next check point.
    The story of Halo 4 is quite epic. As Master Chief, you relentlessly fight against the Covenant, the Prometheans, your human ally's incompetence, and the story driven failure of your A.I. pal Cortana. When mission failure is required, and it is required quite a bit in this story, the failure is never that of the player. We are never burdened with the awful cutscene of the player character cluelessly and impotently watching the action unfold and not participating. Master Chief is as competent as ever. By the way, the graphics in Halo 4 are the best ever on the Xbox 350 and the cutscenes are photorealistic. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Multiplayer on Halo 4 has been a mixed bag. 343 failed to provide popular game types and decent maps at launch, and exacerbated their launch failures with a lack of support for a good three to four months. In late March of 2013, 343 finally started fixing the multi-player experience, but the popularity of Halo has suffered. One of the positive changes 343 has made is leveraging the players' ability to make their own maps and adding the best of the communiy's maps to the on-line playlists. Few games provide map making tools and this is a stand-out feature for Halo 4 on the Xbox.
  8. Apr 4, 2014
    343 Industries has done a fantastic job with this latest chapter in the series. This is my favorite video game series, and it is the series that got me into video gaming, so hearing that a new developer would be replacing Bungie worried me. Thankfully 343 made a game that is just as good as the majority of the Bungie made Halo games.

The campaign manages to feel familiar and fresh all

The campaign manages to feel familiar and fresh all that the same time thanks to the way is holds onto the classic Halo gameplay while simultaneously adding it's own unique features. With new weapons to experiment with and new enemies to fight, there's always something exciting around the next corner. To make things better it is all backed up by some of the best looking graphics to ever grace the 360. The only complaint I have with the campaign is in regards to the story. Just like in Halo 3 the story dives off into the most confusing and under-explained sci-fi mumbo jumbo out there. That being said the campaign does manage to have some emotionality thanks to the complex look at the relationship between Cortana and Master Chief. So while the story does disappoint, the gameplay succeeds here making one awesome campaign.

As far as the multiplayer goes I find it to be the most fun in the series yet. Everything is excellently balanced, the new features are excellent, the game modes are fantastic, and the maps are incredibly well done. The maps are only made better and more diverse thanks to the returning Forge mode. Honestly I am loving the multiplayer more than ever. It's tighter and it no longer feels like you are burning through a huge amount of ammo just to drop a foe. I think this is the best multiplayer the series has seen and it will keep you busy for countless hours. I really can't find a flaw with it.

As far as cooperative gameplay goes the series Firefight mode has been replaced with the new "Spartan Ops" mode. This mode is a noticeable improvement of what the series has previously offered in terms of cooperative gameplay and is an absolute blast to play with friends or even by yourself. However this mode does come with one pretty big flaw: there's no way to play this mode offline either cooperatively or solo. This actually prevented me from being able to play it locally in couch co-op form and is a pretty big oversight on 343's part. That being said it's not a deal breaker and doesn't ruin the fun that can be had with this mode. It's just a disappointing non-inclusion, especially when you remember that Bungie's Firefight mode allowed for offline play.

Overall this is a fantastic game and in a lot of ways one of the best games in the series. With a fantastic campaign, the series best multiplayer, and countless hours worth of content this is one of the best FPS games on the market and one of the best games on the 360. Halo fans no longer need to worry about whether or not 343 can handle the series, because they have proved they can even if they did include some minor flaws. I give it a score of 9.9/10-Near-Perfect.
  9. Jun 18, 2013
    343i did well on Halo, they really did, but several things really held it back as an avid fan of the franchise.

pros: solid controls solid weapons felt good to use great multiplayer(something we haven't seen since halo 3) amazing visuals gorgeous cutscenes cons: disappointing story. As a reader of the books, the end just absolutely made no sense and was the height of

pros: solid controls
    solid weapons felt good to use
    great multiplayer(something we haven't seen since halo 3)
    amazing visuals
    gorgeous cutscenes

cons:
    disappointing story. As a reader of the books, the end just absolutely made no sense and was the height of anti-climax.

poor level design at times. It felt like the library all over again, just repetition with no clear next location

uninspired spaces didn't always feel like Halo I knew, while others were amazing, there seemed to be a gap in cohesive design.

Overall its a game that works out well. But if you don't care for multiplayer it would be a tough game to suggest to someone.
  10. Nov 19, 2012
    Halo 4 is an amazing installation in the Halo series that certainly rivals Halo 3. Halo has always been about story driven campaigns with amazing and varied enemy AIs, great set pieces, and an excellent musical score. All of these things have been pushed in the new game and the Promethean enemies bring much needed variety to the game. Also, the dialogue and character development exceedsHalo 4 is an amazing installation in the Halo series that certainly rivals Halo 3. Halo has always been about story driven campaigns with amazing and varied enemy AIs, great set pieces, and an excellent musical score. All of these things have been pushed in the new game and the Promethean enemies bring much needed variety to the game. Also, the dialogue and character development exceeds anything done in previous titles. As for the multiplayer, Halo has ALWAYS changed up the formula. Come on fans, think about Halo 1 to 2. Dual wielding, online gameplay, playing as a covenant, two concurrent stories, and numerous gameplay changes led to a very different experience. In ODST Bungie tried the more open world approach and marine gameplay ideas. Reach obviously introduced armor abilities and much more. Not all the additions and changes have been popular, but the changes kept the series fresh. 343 Industries continues that tradition in Halo 4 and has reinvented the Halo series. Yes it has load outs, but this isn't Call of Halo. The way loadouts work is still distinctly Halo, and honestly this is the modernization the series needed while sticking to its core gameplay mechanics. I understand my fellow Halo fans griefing over this one. I've been a fan since Halo 1. This is taking the franchise in a new direction but honestly, I don't want a release of updated Halo 1s or 2s being made over and over again. I want new directions and I want the series to continue to being a foil for the more stagnant FPS series. So my vote goes for a changing series that keeps to core roots than more of the same. Expand
  11. Nov 20, 2012
    Halo 4 is a jaw dropping, unbelievably beautiful, well thought out, masterfully assembled game. It is undeniably the best bang for buck game this year, if not of all time. Halo 4's campaign injects something that has always been lacking in the franchise, human emotion. It is the first Halo that actually seems like it was written for a more mature audience, the enemies are more fearsome,Halo 4 is a jaw dropping, unbelievably beautiful, well thought out, masterfully assembled game. It is undeniably the best bang for buck game this year, if not of all time. Halo 4's campaign injects something that has always been lacking in the franchise, human emotion. It is the first Halo that actually seems like it was written for a more mature audience, the enemies are more fearsome, and aggressive, than any other Halo, even the Grunts are scarier looking, and meaner than ever. In addition, the co-op mode tells a completely different story than the campaign, is released over the next few weeks, is interesting, and fun. The multiplayer is the best so far. Halo 4 is a great evolution in the series, and a personal favorite so far. Expand
  12. Feb 20, 2014
    Why is this game rated 6.9 by the fans ? I seriously dont get it cause Halo 2 and Halo 3 are worser than this and that is no opinion ... Halo 2 sucked and Halo 3 was okay, but not good ... this part is the best since Halo 1 ... Praise to the designer of Cortana you did a great Job !
  13. Dec 13, 2012
    This game is by no means the best, but this score of 7 is just ridiculous. Considering it as 343i's first Halo game, it's pretty damn amazing. The graphics are one of the best on console, no argument. The music, while lacking in some areas compared to O'Donnell's compositions, is, frankly, amazing, and the campaign is very good--especially the revelation that Master Chief has an emotionalThis game is by no means the best, but this score of 7 is just ridiculous. Considering it as 343i's first Halo game, it's pretty damn amazing. The graphics are one of the best on console, no argument. The music, while lacking in some areas compared to O'Donnell's compositions, is, frankly, amazing, and the campaign is very good--especially the revelation that Master Chief has an emotional side as well. The multiplayer is fast-paced and more COD-like, for better or for worse is you to decide. Spartan Ops is fun as hell, especially as it provides a campaign-like co-op. Expand
  14. Nov 20, 2012
    I have really enjoyed my time on this game so far. The campaign is pretty good. I would have preferred more shorter missions rather than the few long ones. At times it gets to the point where you just want the mission to be over. However there are some pretty epic scenes and the game looks fantastic. It must be pushing the 360 to its limits. The multiplayer is also a good time. I like theI have really enjoyed my time on this game so far. The campaign is pretty good. I would have preferred more shorter missions rather than the few long ones. At times it gets to the point where you just want the mission to be over. However there are some pretty epic scenes and the game looks fantastic. It must be pushing the 360 to its limits. The multiplayer is also a good time. I like the random map drops. Takes away the importance of knowing the power weapon locations and the fastest way to get there. The personal ordinance drops are a blessing and a curse. It's nice to rewarded for playing well but it is unnecessary. I would prefer to have the map drops happen more often and get rid of the ordinance drops. The custom loadouts are ok. I'd prefer if you just picked a gun and the grenades though. I find everything else unnecessary. The guns you can pick from however are incredibly balanced. Anyone who says otherwise is just complaining to complain. I would also like to see them get rid of map voting or improve the system. There are about 10 maps and in the 30 or so games I've played I think I have played 4. Often I have played the same map 3 times in a row. Also after games if the majority of the party leaves it would be nice to have the remaining group search for more players. I have had games that started 3 vs. 1 which is pretty lame. Over all a good game. Any complaints I have are really just nitpicking and personal preference. Expand
  15. Nov 15, 2012
    While I was a bit skeptical of 343i beginning a new trilogy, Halo 4 delivers. The campaign is much better than expected. It's well paced, has decent plot development, and the villain is definitely an interesting twist and a solid approach to setup the new trilogy. Multiplayer has some issues, but is still very fun and will only get better with time as it is updated. After Halo Reach, IWhile I was a bit skeptical of 343i beginning a new trilogy, Halo 4 delivers. The campaign is much better than expected. It's well paced, has decent plot development, and the villain is definitely an interesting twist and a solid approach to setup the new trilogy. Multiplayer has some issues, but is still very fun and will only get better with time as it is updated. After Halo Reach, I can say it feels great to play Halo again. Expand
  16. Nov 15, 2012
    Un juego verdaderamente chingon, Es algo nostálgico pero definitivamente ofrece algo refrescante para aquellos ya familiarizados con la saga de halo. La campaña es corta pero no hay que olvidar que cada semana se están sacando episodios nuevos que funcionan como una extencion de la historia.
  17. Nov 21, 2012
    Halo is back on its feet again. After a few mediocre entries into the series, namely, halo reach, Halo 4 delivers a surprising and rejuvenating jolt of wonder, fun, and solid gameplay that the series definitely needed.
  18. Apr 16, 2013
    Let me first start by saying that I have never been a Halo fan having only played Halo 1 on the PC and not being very impressed with it. I also finished Halo 3 ODST on the Xbox and wasn't particularly impressed with that either.. Until now I haven't seen anything from the Halo universe that was particularly impressive. I haven't played the multiplayer yet so this review is on theLet me first start by saying that I have never been a Halo fan having only played Halo 1 on the PC and not being very impressed with it. I also finished Halo 3 ODST on the Xbox and wasn't particularly impressed with that either.. Until now I haven't seen anything from the Halo universe that was particularly impressive. I haven't played the multiplayer yet so this review is on the campaign. The storyline was intriguing and well adapted. Actually one of the best single player storylines I have played in quite a few years. The controls were a bit awkward at first, straying from the typical FPS control scheme but after some play they are manageable. The graphics and dynamic environments were simply beautiful. Overall the game provided an epic story with great game mechanics. I don't know if this studio has produced other titles in the Halo world but they knocked this one out of the park. Expand
  19. Sep 13, 2014
    As a long time fan of the Halo series, I can say that this game is fantastic. It is my favourite so far. The gameplay is the most refined in the series yet and has superior graphics to match. The story was interesting and introduced an intriguing new villain along with new enemies to fight, which mixes things up from the traditional halo games, whilst still keeping the well known and lovedAs a long time fan of the Halo series, I can say that this game is fantastic. It is my favourite so far. The gameplay is the most refined in the series yet and has superior graphics to match. The story was interesting and introduced an intriguing new villain along with new enemies to fight, which mixes things up from the traditional halo games, whilst still keeping the well known and loved covenant enemies.
    Definitely makes my top 10 games of all time list.
  20. Feb 13, 2013
    Halo 4's campaign is right up there with the Combat Evolved campaign in terms of greatness. Spartan Ops is a fun new co-op mode that has only gotten better as time went on. Multiplayer introduces fresh new features to the Halo experience and will only get better and more polished.

Overall, amazing game that is deserving of the hype. Haters gonna hate.
  21. Apr 16, 2013
    I was never a die-hard Halo fan. I came onto the Halo scene a year or two after it was originally released and respected how technically sound it was. As the later installments came out I never bought into the story or characters and I never thought they were the best looking games at the times of their release (due to art style). I would go to LAN parties with friends and have a greatI was never a die-hard Halo fan. I came onto the Halo scene a year or two after it was originally released and respected how technically sound it was. As the later installments came out I never bought into the story or characters and I never thought they were the best looking games at the times of their release (due to art style). I would go to LAN parties with friends and have a great time playing with them, but outside of that, I rarely would touch those old Halos. That is until Halo 4. Halo 4 was a "changing of the guard" from the other installments, and in my opinion, for the better. More effort was put into giving the characters more depth through cinematic sequences and dialogue. I found this to be a great improvement over previous installments. The graphic level of Halo 4 actually met my standards for being one of the best looking games released at its time. The sound is also top notch, and the guns feel more powerful than ever thanks to the amped up sounds. The AI is smart and provides a challenge and the level designs provide decent variety in play-style. Multi-player runs smooth and the nasty "host powers" that plague these P2P games is marginalized well. I also enjoyed the new control schemes ,as I always preferred the COD style scheme with my play-style, and the customization/load-out options. There is a good balance between feeling that you have a unique character and having any load-out be viable. The new game mode, Spartan-ops is a decent addition however, like the game itself, the story is still pretty ho-hum. Now I haven't read any of the books for the added lore, but I don't believe I should have to in order to enjoy the stories of the games. This is an area that still could use some improvement. Overall, this is an excellent, high-production value game, and one of the best games on the Xbox 360. VERDICT: Must buy! You'll get you're bang for your buck quite easily with this game. Expand
  22. Feb 18, 2014
    Halo 4 feels like the natural evolution of the series.
    It takes the best elements of Halo 3 and Reach and combines them into an authentic Master Chief experience!
    Halo 4 feels like the natural evolution of the series.
    I'm coming back to the game now after about a year off. I've finished it on Legendary now and am getting into some multiplayer. As much as the player base has dropped over the last year or so, matches can be found with relative ease.
    I was never big on the COD multiplayer. Halo 4 is where it's at for me until Titanfall drops. I want my futuristic machines, yo!
  23. Jan 19, 2013
    I was hoping this would be my GOTY 2012 but just a few games were a little better. Okay this may not be the best Halo, but 343 you have didn't let this game crash and burn, you are pushing the series to the next generation of Halos. Campaigns really good but is not as gripping as other Halo campaigns and got a bit too serious on the story. But its their first Halo so they will learn likeI was hoping this would be my GOTY 2012 but just a few games were a little better. Okay this may not be the best Halo, but 343 you have didn't let this game crash and burn, you are pushing the series to the next generation of Halos. Campaigns really good but is not as gripping as other Halo campaigns and got a bit too serious on the story. But its their first Halo so they will learn like Bungie did. Multiplayer is a bit of a copy of CoD, but probally the biggest pushes to the multiplayer since Halo 2 and love custom loadouts idea. Spartan Ops is a great new feature and a nice change to firefight. Overall Campaign really good but 2 issus stop it from becoming like Halo campaign good. Multiplayer is amazing step to the multiplayer for a very exiting future for Halo. Spartan Ops is great change to Firefight. Halo may not be GOTY for me but its in my top 3 games this year. Halo 4 9.0/10 Expand
  24. Nov 13, 2012
    Great visuals, great single player campaign, great multiplayer modes.. The only negative i can think of is the final boss fight but this is my favorite Halo game to date.
  25. Nov 16, 2012
    Halo 4 has given back something to me, that has been lost with Halo Reach. When I think of Halo, I think of a whole package - Competitive multiplayer, an interesting Campaign, and something innovative.

The Campaign was about an 8/10. It took a different approach to the regular storytelling that Halo is known for, and generally performed pretty well. But I would have enjoyed a longer campaign, along with a few extra things that I don't want to spoil.

The multiplayer I give an 8/10. 343 Did really great to reverse some of the Reach damage. It took out bloom, brought back the BR, and also gives us some pretty nice default maps. From a casual standpoint, I have a load of fun in BTB with ordnance drops and my friends. From a competitive standpoint, I really enjoy a few of the maps on Pro, but it loses points due to no default "real" competitive playlist, and no trueskill system.

Now with innovation, they really hit the mark with Spartan Ops. I am not a huge fan of it personally, but it really is a great step forward to combine all elements of the game into one. Verdict: A really great game, highly recommended for veterans of the franchise, and newcomers alike.

Highest Pro: The multiplayer is much more refined and higher quality this title.
    Highest Con: Lack of depth in the multiplayer matches, tied with a short campaign.
  26. Dec 6, 2012
    I will put it simply, Go with the vast majority of professional critics, There's a reason the users on here aren't professional critics, they haven't got a clue, it's a fantastic game and is very much worth your time, in the list of things not worth your time are haters on metacritic.
  27. Nov 13, 2012
    I grew up playing Halo. The score to Halo 4 seemed to me like atmospheric background noise.. I rarely noticed it. The music is integral to what it is as a franchise to me. I am a purist tho. I liked the plot of Reach better. I am also missing a lot of the multiplayer options from Reach too. Like the ability to put it on good connection and similar skill. Also the campaign scoring andI grew up playing Halo. The score to Halo 4 seemed to me like atmospheric background noise.. I rarely noticed it. The music is integral to what it is as a franchise to me. I am a purist tho. I liked the plot of Reach better. I am also missing a lot of the multiplayer options from Reach too. Like the ability to put it on good connection and similar skill. Also the campaign scoring and firefight are also missing. Spartan Ops isn't the same, after the 10 weeks it's going to be useless. Than there's the fact you don't get taken out of scope when you're shot. I love it still but nothing is perfect. I just see it as a result of a new studio playing it safe in some areas and trying too hard to impress in others. Expand
  28. Aug 11, 2013
    343 did a great job taking the mantle away from Bungie. The game looks great with a good story. The action is pretty good but not the best. No more dual weapon usage which was kind of a drag. The game is about 8 hours on hard and can easily be beaten on normal over a weekend. The stand out in this game is the quality of overall sound effects. The music sound great and the guns are343 did a great job taking the mantle away from Bungie. The game looks great with a good story. The action is pretty good but not the best. No more dual weapon usage which was kind of a drag. The game is about 8 hours on hard and can easily be beaten on normal over a weekend. The stand out in this game is the quality of overall sound effects. The music sound great and the guns are "punchy". But I use a amp/dac paired with Beyerdynamics. But overall a good game worth a rental but not a buy. Expand
  29. Mar 23, 2013
    Halo 4 is by far one of the best games of all time. The story is more personal, dark, and rewarding than previous halo entries and ends on an all out high note. The graphics are a revolution in gaming, with detailed environments, superb lighting, ridiculously high res textures, and incredible facial animation and motion capture. The sweeping spectacle and breath taking views of distantHalo 4 is by far one of the best games of all time. The story is more personal, dark, and rewarding than previous halo entries and ends on an all out high note. The graphics are a revolution in gaming, with detailed environments, superb lighting, ridiculously high res textures, and incredible facial animation and motion capture. The sweeping spectacle and breath taking views of distant forerunner structures reminisce to when people first saw halo combat evolved. Also, the cinematics are so incredible when I first saw them I thought they were live action. They really are that good. As for the gameplay, they keep to the series' main roots, straight up runnin and gunnin like a baller. It is incrediblely satisfying to just run out and desimate enemies. The weapons not only look and sound great but are all unique and perfectly balanced. Speaking of sound, it's epic, from the crack of an assault rifle, to the all new beautiful score by Neil davidge, to the simple hum of a warthog halo 4 stays true to the awesome sound design we've come to expect from halo games. Themu,tip layer has been redone and is incredibly fun and addicting, with the new loadout system, halo 4 adds much more customization that is nice change to halo. Spartan ops is since bit of narrative based arcade style killing feet that can be a real blast to play. While the sequences are over in minutes and aren't that challenging even on legendary and you won't get hold of much of the story during combat,they still feel epic and the weekly cinematics they bring are a treat to watch. As for forge, it's just as awesome as ever but, allowing you to make the map of your dreams, but as been refined to the point that does away with the annoying issues it used to have. So overall, halo 4 is one of the best of the series, an incredible start to the new trilogy, and one of the best looking, best sounding, best playing, straight up BEST game of all time. Expand
  30. Jan 11, 2013
    I have played every single Halo game, including Halo: AE and Halo Wars, so I have a good spectrum of the Halo universe and the good and bad Halo games.

PROS: 1) Beautiful graphics and sound. This game just looks good! Lush jungles, cool Forerunner areas, etc. 2) Matchmaking system is great as always... easy to find a game and stay with a group. 3) Multiplayer is good fun. Good maps,

PROS:
    3) Multiplayer is good fun. Good maps, and an old favorite. Vehicles all perform well. Most weapons feel good to shoot.
    4) Loadout system adds something new to match your playstyle, but doesn't make the game unbalanced.
    5) Campaign was solid, new enemies are always welcome after the Covenant was done for multiple games.

CONS:
    1) Spartan Ops is pretty shallow and offers little to the game or story.
    2) Campaign was short and the plot was all over the place. IE - Who is this guy, who is that guy and why are they important?
    3) Ordinance drops don;t really work with Halo. I would rather have good weapons on the map that respawn quicker. Many ordinance drops make you choose between 3 equally bad weapons or bonuses. Feels too COD.
    4) 343 Studios went overboard on the weapons. I don't need 3 long range weapons, 3 medium and 3 short range weapons. Just a bit too much.
    5) Armor is unlocked through finishing challenges which forces you to use crummy weapons etc if you want the armor. The credit system from Halo: Reach was great and one of the better ideas from that game.

A pretty good, almost great game with a few issues. Halo 4 doesn't need to copy COD... everyone has had their fill of that anyway. Also, the campaign was fun, but pretty forgettable. Beyond that though, this game has a robust MP that will make most fans and newcomers happy.
  31. Jan 31, 2014
    Best Xbox game I have ever played! The war games are feroucious and compettitive! the backgroumd design for the levels are amazing....................
  32. Jan 23, 2013
    Halo 4 is not the masterpiece but it has its place in the Halo universe, Halo 4 has not had many drastic changes in multilayer except from the new load out system that brings a whole new depth to the multilayer, as it is no longer a rush for the best weapons at the start and felling like there no way back when you stuck with the Assault Rifle over someone with a DMR sniping you from aHalo 4 is not the masterpiece but it has its place in the Halo universe, Halo 4 has not had many drastic changes in multilayer except from the new load out system that brings a whole new depth to the multilayer, as it is no longer a rush for the best weapons at the start and felling like there no way back when you stuck with the Assault Rifle over someone with a DMR sniping you from a higher vantage point. it also allow for new players to get into the game due to it similarities with Call of Duty (this can be seen as good or bad). The single player on the other hand is the one of the best Halo campaigns to date maybe even one of the best FPS campaigns to data, with so many twist and turns throughout the story, if you have played the other Halos and felt something for the story's then I believe that you have to try this game if only for the single player, we have to give credit where credit is due as 343 have done a stellar job on creating a deep and engaging story line that bring a tear to the eye at the conclusion. If you have not played a Halo before I think you should steer clear of the single player till you have as you will feel nothing for the story line. I think if this is your first Halo it is more like a 6/10 as I feel the story even though being fairly short is still Epic and bring a huge amount to the game for series long fans. Expand
  33. Nov 15, 2012
    i see the haters/call of duty fanboys have rated this game as low as possible. what a bunch of morons. this game is great and way better than Call of Duty.
  34. Nov 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *GAMES EVOLVE* I can understand that people are saying Halo 4 has call of duty features but is that really a bad thing? Does the shooting feel like COD or the action, atmosphere, art design, characters, story, gah its Halo 4 you guys. Games have to evolve every now and then. Uncharted 3 Had loadouts, perks, money system for weapon attachments, character customization, etc and that is still a great multiplayer. Gears of war, you choose what gun you want to start and that has a loadout, maybe not a perk but hell your pretty much a super soldier already. I don't understand why people can't take change. Anyways I just wanted to take that in perspective that GAMES EVOLVE or you'd hate how halo would be if it was the exact same thing like the *Cough* Modern*coughs* Warfare*coughs* series*coughs*. Just know that I'm not disrespecting you guys, just get time with the changes. *Review* I have to say this is the best Halo by far since it seems more in depth into what the franchise is. I am gladly to say this is the real reason why I bought an Xbox for. Story - After almost 5 years(forgot the exact date) since the last game, seeing in Halo 3 where Master Cheif and Cortana were drifting off in space, waiting to be found. After 4 years in cryosleep, Master Chief was awaken by Cortana since they were being invaded by the covenent, later to be found by the Forerunner Planet "Requiem" being sucked in by the gravitational pull and stranded on the planet. Without giving too much away, the story in this game is not only about Master Chief but more into Cortanas side of her story; just in Master Cheifs perspective. Halo series never been really a selling point of its story but lore. This one seems more in depth of it's story though it is short, it is the best story by far and engaging as it give us the reason why we're really fighting the Covenent. Gameplay - Alright, this is where people really want to know if this still feels like a Halo game. Still shooting from the hip?(Yep) Stilll Energy Sheild?(Yep) Still have the badass assualt rifle?(Yep) Plays like reach?(Yep) So whats new about it? Well theres alot of new things in this game. New weapons going for in depth with the covenents but also a new species called the prometheans, which you use they're guns off on their body parts. The gameplay is still that old Halo formula we all know and love. The game also has had a great redone over its graphics, making the xbox go through its full potential though with some merky texture going up close to things. The multiplayer is still there, though it is a little faster than the other ones. I don't know what to say but rather that its **** awesome. It has high replayablity with many and I mean MANY game modes that are **** fun. Some I wish they didnt' take out like SWAT on reach but overall it is a goood **** game.

This is the best Halo and xbox game I
  35. Mar 17, 2014
    simply the best halo in my opinion, the multiplayer is better then ever, graphics are amazing, and story was more emotional.well worth the buy, for the xbox 360
  36. Mar 19, 2013
    I can remember the days when I hated FPS and then I discovered Halo. Loved the new weapons and new race to fight. Loved the graphics. I can say that I had so much fun playing through the campaign with my brother in law and making jokes. If the walking dead hadn't destroyed my heart before I played this, I might have even cried when one of my beloved characters died. I think the beauty hereI can remember the days when I hated FPS and then I discovered Halo. Loved the new weapons and new race to fight. Loved the graphics. I can say that I had so much fun playing through the campaign with my brother in law and making jokes. If the walking dead hadn't destroyed my heart before I played this, I might have even cried when one of my beloved characters died. I think the beauty here is that they didn't try to teach an old dog any tricks. They just tweaked the same stuff we've been loving for years. Expand
  37. Apr 19, 2013
    I have all the halo games and this one is a bit different but still attach to the original game play, it has a lot CoD but i don't see that like a bad thing, for me this game is a 1 year online game to play.
  38. Nov 18, 2012
    as an halo fan, i'm pretty disapointed about the campain and find it really boring but i really like the multiplayer. But the best think who make halo really fun is the forge and just some little think, like the magnet, are really usefull. i know you are disapointed of the game but i enjoy the multiplayer of this halo who is really better than halo reach. so this is my point of view. sorryas an halo fan, i'm pretty disapointed about the campain and find it really boring but i really like the multiplayer. But the best think who make halo really fun is the forge and just some little think, like the magnet, are really usefull. i know you are disapointed of the game but i enjoy the multiplayer of this halo who is really better than halo reach. so this is my point of view. sorry for my english Expand
  39. Nov 18, 2012
    My scores up to this point for reference follow:

Halo 1 - 10 Halo 2 - 8 Halo 3 - 9 Halo ODST - 7 Halo Reach - 8 Halo Anniversary - 7 (lots of flaws the original didn't have, and artistic direction was just awkward) Halo 4 - 10 This is the single best Halo experience I have ever had. It may not be as revolutionary compared to what had come before it as Halo 1 (how could it be?)
    My scores up to this point for reference follow:

Halo 1 - 10
    Halo 2 - 8
    Halo 3 - 9
    Halo ODST - 7
    Halo Reach - 8
    Halo 4 - 10

This is the single best Halo experience I have ever had. It may not be as revolutionary compared to what had come before it as Halo 1 (how could it be?) but it is the most fun I have had at Halo, the most enthralled I have been at Halo, and the most passionate I have been about it.

On to the grit.

Graphics: The graphics are beautiful. The artistic design is delightful, the character designs border on the inspired. In certain moments, these are the best in game graphics I have ever seen on the system, in others though, graphical artifacting and glitching mar the experience. Misloaded textures take away from the experience and suspend disbelief. These may be the fault of my aging system (same box I have owned since the month of launch), but regardless of where the fault lies, It damages an otherwise flawless visible presentation.

Sound - The sound library is improved in several ways, with the gun, grenade, and terrain sounds all minorly boosted. The biggest aspect of sound, and by far the most notable, is the change of musical direction. I'll be honest, I wish they could have retained the composers from the original, because they help identify the world, even in the face of Bungie's departure. That said, the songs are beautiful, and capture the feel of the game very well. Gone are the days of the music track defining the level, and it is replaced by music that helps focus the environment. While the raw talent may not be as high now as it was, the skill with which each level has its song composed and matched, is superior.

Balance - Gun balance is the most important part of Halo's overall balance in design, for me. And this game wins in a big way. Everything is useful here. The Assault Rifle has finally figured out its balance. It being the default gun for most missions over the course of the game finally makes sense in story, as the gun is ridiculously useful for mid and close range engagement, an does not fully lose itself in long range. The pulse rifle, which was overpowered in campaign, is gone as is the terrible Reach equivalent, and in its place we find a far better balanced weapon in the storm rifle. The storm rifle is getting a lot of flack online as terrible, but it is because people do not understand it. This gun is probably the single best support weapon in the game, when used along with your allies' battle rifles and DMRs. All of the new [race redacted to avoid spoilers] weapons find their balance, except the boltshot which would be perfectly functional if it had its magazine size doubled but finds itself hampered by its required reload. The new grenade balance has boosted the game, with the frag grenade more lethal but with a smaller area of effect. The new pulse grenade is getting a lot of hate online, but as an area denial tool, and against vehicles it is very useful. If you have the grenade skills and timing you can also kill a fully charged enemy with a single shot. Overall, the balance functions to lessen the domination of the br/dmr, and open up better representation for the close support, as well as the true long distance, weapons. Grenade play is vastly improved in my opinion and heavily rewards precision, the pistol has finally found its balance, and all that is left is the sniper rifle. I am disappointed with the sniper rifle, as it retains all of its benefits from past versions and picks up far greater 'shoot from the hip' precision, making open-shot sniper rifle dominant when it shouldn't be. Hopefully they address this in a future patch by returning the imprecision to open sight shot with the sniper rifle.

Emotional affect - I cared more about this campaign than I have cared about anything but 3, and I care about the two main characters more than I ever have. Brilliant success. The script writing is better, the acting is better, the emotion conveyed to the voice is better. Heartbreaking, and 'real'. I cannot overstate how much impact the story had compared to everything else out there. This game shows the fullest potential of what video games should be, in every area but social conscience, and as a philosophic journey, I think it outpaces Bioshock in its final question.

AI - This is the best AI in the history of the game. Organic AI is improved, and the new race has the best AI I have ever played against. Pathfinding is sometimes predictable, and could benefit from more randomization.

Glitches - A few graphical glitches mar the experience. One or two sound glitches threw me off, Cortana whispering more quietly than the background music at one point was bad. Wall artifacting at one point. Nothing game-ruining.

Overall - Arguably the best game I have ever played on the xbox. At the very least in my top 5.
  40. Nov 11, 2012
    At first I didn't really like the game but after playing for many hours and days, I LOVE IT. The campaign was fantastic and is an emotional roller-coaster. The story between Cortana and Master Chief is told very well and IMO this campaign is one of the best in the Halo series. The graphics and sound effects are AMAZING and for a game that runs at 30fps this game is SMOOTH. The enemies inAt first I didn't really like the game but after playing for many hours and days, I LOVE IT. The campaign was fantastic and is an emotional roller-coaster. The story between Cortana and Master Chief is told very well and IMO this campaign is one of the best in the Halo series. The graphics and sound effects are AMAZING and for a game that runs at 30fps this game is SMOOTH. The enemies in this game are smart, clever and very well done. They actually have a mind of their own and don't run and hide like in previous halo games. Voice acting and the sound tracks for Halo are outstanding. The Multiplayer PLAYS AND FEELS LIKE HALO unlike halo reach (which I hated IMO ) Everything is perfectly balanced this time. The level design is very good and the maps are all well thought-out. The armor abilities and the weapon drops give a fresh new look to Halo 4 and makes the game fell less repetitive compared to previous Halo games. If you like old school Halo then there is a special playlist called Team slayer pro which removes all armor abilities and weapon drops and makes the game just like Halo 3. However, since I am giving a fair review there are SOME things which I really didn't like in this game. The respawns in multiplayer aren't as bad as COD but they get quite annoying and i always end up being spawned in front of a warthog and then being run over immediately. I was also hoping that the campaign could have been a bit longer since it is only 6 hours on normal difficulty. Other than those reasons, this game is VERY GOOD and I highly recommend it. No game is perfect :) Expand
  41. Nov 11, 2012
    As a longtime halo fan I was very skeptical of this new game, not because of the new studio behind it 343, but because of the new "call of duty-like" things being added to multiplayer. After finishing the campaign on heroic and getting to rank 36 here is the good and bad. If you don't want to read, just know that overall it is an excellent game, especially compared to most games theseAs a longtime halo fan I was very skeptical of this new game, not because of the new studio behind it 343, but because of the new "call of duty-like" things being added to multiplayer. After finishing the campaign on heroic and getting to rank 36 here is the good and bad. If you don't want to read, just know that overall it is an excellent game, especially compared to most games these days, and is worth buying.

The good:
    -join in progress multiplayer games. Now when someone rage quits your team isn't permanently down players for the entire match. I have come into several matches in progress where my team was losing slightly and helped them come back to win. -controls still feel like halo. The jumping, the melee, the movement, the headshots, it all feels just like a halo game. I have heard complaints to the new controls but I use bumper jumper which is more traditional.
    -graphics. I thought Halo: Reach was easily the best looking xbox game, but where it had really crisp textures and almost no shadows, Halo 4 outdoes reach with amazing lighting and shadows. Easily the best looking console game today. -balance. Right off the bat the game feels nicely balanced in terms of weapon power. There is no clear winner with the dmr vs br, and even the carbine and light rifle are on par. None of the weapons feel weak, with even the assault rifle and plasma pistol being formidable weapons.
    -ordinance. I feel it's a great chance of pace to slayer and if you don't like it it's only in slayer
    -dominion. Amazing! A next-gen version of domination or capture and hold control points. The longer you hold a base, the more defenses it builds and resupplies your team with weapons and vehicles.
    -maps. Miles ahead of Halo: Reach in terms of maps on release. Each map is unique and I really love them all except Haven.

Now some of the bad you should know about
    -the killcam. Great idea even if it's ripped off of call of duty. In my experience it doesn't work 95% of the time, instead showing you a weird replay of someone shooting into the sky.
    -Spartan Ops: not nearly as good as firefight in my opinion. The missions are bland and don't really compare to the amazing campaign missions. Though to be honest, I wouldn't want to fight waves of prometheans anyway.
    -slowing down when shot. This is a double edged sword. It stops nooby double melee rushing, but it also makes it even harder to stay alive in a game that is already beefing up the speed of kills. -No small weapons on maps. I like how power weapons can drop randomly anywhere, but in an objective game where you don't call in ordinance, the only way to pick up a different gun is to kill an enemy. There are no longer grenades and non-power weapons on the map to pick up and resupply you with ammo.

Overall this game is definitely worth getting. It has changed a bit but I believe for the better. Halo was originally called "combat evolved" and I think they need to keep evolving the halo formula.
  42. Nov 12, 2012
    Undoubtedly the best Halo title yet, and the first to make major changes to the multiplayer game dynamic. The campaign is graphically spectacular, with the increasing rampancy of Cortana a very engaging plot device. The Flood are thankfully absent, the Prometheans are awesome, there are some excellent set pieces, and a great spaceship level made it a memorable experience. It does have itsUndoubtedly the best Halo title yet, and the first to make major changes to the multiplayer game dynamic. The campaign is graphically spectacular, with the increasing rampancy of Cortana a very engaging plot device. The Flood are thankfully absent, the Prometheans are awesome, there are some excellent set pieces, and a great spaceship level made it a memorable experience. It does have its flaws though. As all FPS campaigns it is almost insultingly short, taking around 7 hours on normal. The game also struggles to tell the story as each level progress, and while the cut scenes are glorious they skimp on details. My biggest issue was the final boss fight, which was a clumsy quick time event and made for a very unsatisfying conclusion. However, overall it was an enjoyable romp as any Halo campaign should be. Spartan Ops is an interesting edition, good fun with friends or alone. Free episodic story content is a really innovative idea and should give the game a longer life expectancy. I have high hopes for it. The main gameplay changes come in multiplayer. Borrowing from the call of duty games, you now have loadouts. Unlike COD however, these do not spoil the game for new players, as they are more to do with personal preference than raw power. Heavy weapons no longer have spawn points on the maps, but instead are dropped/teleported into random locations than then appear on everyone Expand
  43. Nov 12, 2012
    Finally Halo is back! Only FPS that actually involves skill. You can shoot me first but if you are not better I will win the battle 9 out of 10 times.
  44. Nov 15, 2012
    This game is just outstanding! The multiplayer is fun to play (even though it has a call of duty feel to it) and they keep adding new game types every week. Just like spartin ops you get new missions every week and its fun to play with others. Oh and the campain was a bit short but the story is just awesome. Forge mode is the basically the same but hey if it ain't broke don't fix it.This game is just outstanding! The multiplayer is fun to play (even though it has a call of duty feel to it) and they keep adding new game types every week. Just like spartin ops you get new missions every week and its fun to play with others. Oh and the campain was a bit short but the story is just awesome. Forge mode is the basically the same but hey if it ain't broke don't fix it. Overall everyone that has an Xbox should get this game. You won't regret it ;) Expand
  45. Nov 13, 2012
    First off I am a long time halo fan and I actually wasn't going to buy it after hearing some interviews with the designers. Reviews started pouring in and it got me excited enough to pick it up. Long story short, if your a halo fan or a fan of sci fi you will probably like this.

The music while not as epic or memorable as Marty o Donnels scores still easily surpass almost all other games. It is a welcome change of tone for me and feels like it could be right at home in a mass effect game, also a big fan of the mass effect music. If you have ever seen the movie Sunshine, 28 days later, or snatch which the soundtracks for those were all done by a guy named John Murphy. It feels like his style mixed with some mass effect. Which again are great because im a big fan of all this. So enough about the music, I loved it.

The gameplay is what you'd exspect from halo and if you are a fan of the others than you will feel right at home with this one.

The storyline is great minus 2 chapters which didn't serve any purpose but as filler. There's 2 chase scenes and they both are very glitchy but they are over quickly and don't ruin the experience.

I did have a problem unlocking a avatar award but after I cleared my cache and tied again it popped the second time. Not a big deal but when I am useto bungies extremely high quality little touches like that make it apparent that bungie had nothing to do with this. Great game, not the best but better than most.

Ohh and no swat in matchmaking? WTF?
  46. Nov 15, 2012
    Although fairly short, I thought the campaign for this latest installment of the Halo franchise was absolutely brilliant - compared to some 'modern shooters' of today, I felt that there was a far deeper narrative throughout and unlike previous installments there was a far richer and interesting dialog between Chief and Cortana giving us what could 'perhaps' be seen as a sort of love story.Although fairly short, I thought the campaign for this latest installment of the Halo franchise was absolutely brilliant - compared to some 'modern shooters' of today, I felt that there was a far deeper narrative throughout and unlike previous installments there was a far richer and interesting dialog between Chief and Cortana giving us what could 'perhaps' be seen as a sort of love story. Needless to say, at the very end of the game I was left wanting to know more and carry on the story, but I guess I'll have to wait a few more years for that.

The game is also an amazing technical feat, managing to pull off some really rich and gratifying worlds for you to play in - it's amazing what power they've been able to squeeze out of a 7 year old console like they have. Combined with the musical score which was as per usual immersive, emotion stirring and adrenaline pumping as you'd expect for a Halo game made for this a brilliant package. Take into account the weekly content being released and this should keep you going for a while.

I will admit, I'm not the biggest fan of the multiplayer as I find it too much of a 'run and gun' scenario as apposed to team based work.

That said, all in all I think Halo 4 was a brilliant last hurrah for the 360!
  47. Jan 18, 2013
    I started to play Halo in this game, so my opinion isn't of a big fan. But I loved it, the graphics are excelent, but most important: The multiplayer is the best FPS I've ever played. Campaign isn't pretty good, but isn't bad.
  48. Nov 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Halo 4 is a good game in my opinion, although many do not seem very good, but to me, this is one of the best in the series. The story is very compelling from start to finish, with an introduction you see Dr. Catherine Halsey talking about the Spartans. It then shows that reactive Cortana Master Chief to see who made ​​contact, was the Covenant that apparently were at war with humans again. Then they arrived to Requiem, known the Didact, the antagonist of the game. In the end, he dies, and what surprised most is the death of Cortana, very tragic. The game has excellent graphics, good gameplay, good multiplayer. In conclusion, a great game. Expand
  49. Nov 16, 2012
    The plot can be a bit confusing but the cutscenes are generally well executed, though the levels can be a bit repetitive, especially the grind of fighting Prometheans. Tying the new campaign to other events such as the Flood was well done and made this feel like a Halo game. On top of this free weekly updates with a few story elements thrown in can't be complained about in the era ofThe plot can be a bit confusing but the cutscenes are generally well executed, though the levels can be a bit repetitive, especially the grind of fighting Prometheans. Tying the new campaign to other events such as the Flood was well done and made this feel like a Halo game. On top of this free weekly updates with a few story elements thrown in can't be complained about in the era of pre-release DLC. Multiplayer can be a bit hectic, though every starting weapon is well balanced for its role (AR for close etc.) and as it should, comes down to skill of the user to be able to win a duel. Some of the weapons don't feel like their tried and true precursors, an example being the rocket launcher, though the pace of combat is consistent with the franchise's history. Overall a good investment, and seems to have a good play life, just as a Halo game should. Expand
  50. Nov 16, 2012
    0...0.....0....0.0....0, NOOBS TROLLING AND RUINING A REPUTABLE SITE.... HALO 4 is amazing and i guarantee half of you Trolls are playing the game right now.
  51. Nov 16, 2012
    343 keeps retains the torch that Bungie handed them a year ago. In fact the torch burns even brighter. Halo 4 is a fantastic following to the lore-abundant atmosphere that is the Halo series. Fans of the original CE, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach will be wholey impressed with the updated gameplay and story development. Campaign brings to light a closer connection to emotion and humanity, while343 keeps retains the torch that Bungie handed them a year ago. In fact the torch burns even brighter. Halo 4 is a fantastic following to the lore-abundant atmosphere that is the Halo series. Fans of the original CE, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach will be wholey impressed with the updated gameplay and story development. Campaign brings to light a closer connection to emotion and humanity, while the online Spartan Ops, weekly episodes, add a significant level of value and longevity to the game. 343 shows they care about their fans and have evolved Halo to the next level. The gameplay is familiar and refined. Buy it as it will become an instant classic as all the previous games have been. Expand
  52. Nov 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Halo 4 is a truly great addition to the Halo series. The story is emotional and well told, the gameplay is as solid as ever, graphically it is amazing and the mutliplayer is top notch. It is a triumph for 343 industries. The fact that they so bravely took the mantle of this universe and managed to delivered something truly wonderful is to be commended. Most developers would botch such an endeavor, but it is clear that Microsoft and 343 truly care about this franchise. The return of Master Chief is not just one of the best Halo games in the series, or even arguably the best, but it is also one of the best games I've played all year. Its problems are all so minor and often just personal preferences rather than legitimate issues. Halo 4 is a front runner for game of the year and if you are a fan of the series, or just a fan of shooters, you owe it to yourself to get this game. Pros
    -Amazingly well told and emotional story
    -Great voice work
    -Fantasic sound
    -Possibly the best Graphics on the Xbox
    -Great enemy AI -Vast and diverse array of weapons and equipment
    -Major improvements on several gameplay mechanics
    -Modernized Multiplayer that stands out -Unlockables are within reach and easy to obtain
    -Customization is vast and fun
    -Spartan Ops is a great addition

Cons
    -Forge could have used more improvements and additions
    -The absence of firefight is disappointing
    -Spartan Ops maps could use more variety so's to not feel recycled.
  53. Nov 18, 2012
    Halo 4 is a step beyond what I imagined it could be. Simply amazing! Loved the action-packed Campaign, Spartan OPs is a great ad on, I especially love the cinematic Spartan-ops episodes. The multi-player component is never boring, soemthing that's honestly hard to do, but is pulled off really well in this game. I love the innovation put into Halo 4!
  54. Dec 7, 2012
    With a game like Halo 4, you have to review on both Story AND Multiplayer. When it comes to the game overall, it is a compelling masterpiece. It's visually a work of art and gameplay is spectacular. With most Halo games, I often found myself having to replace broken controllers due to dying so much. But not with Halo 4. 343 did an amazing job keeping true to the legendary franchise ofWith a game like Halo 4, you have to review on both Story AND Multiplayer. When it comes to the game overall, it is a compelling masterpiece. It's visually a work of art and gameplay is spectacular. With most Halo games, I often found myself having to replace broken controllers due to dying so much. But not with Halo 4. 343 did an amazing job keeping true to the legendary franchise of Halo, but while also putting there personal signature on it. I was slightly skeptical about the new Forerunners. It's obvious that you can't just keep killing Covenant all the time, but it was a risky move and they still pulled it off. They did a great job giving the player a nostalgic feeling while killing the Covenant, which were graphically beautiful. But also in giving a player a rush of excitement of facing an unknown enemy. Whilst the story was not a complete turn from the other 3, it still had a new sense of adventure to it. A very compelling story line which for the first time was even quite emotional for me. For story, it's a 10/10. Now, multiplayer. While you can't expect anything new from a Halo multiplayer, they dished out quite a few new interesting features. Including customizing loadouts and even more customization with you Spartan Armor to the point where you truly do feel unique in your own way and not just a different color copy of some other player. Some of the maps are small, but still well designed. Whilst multiplayer can get quite boring, you have Spartan Ops which is a great feature that was added. Whether you want to go Solo or play with a party, you engage in unique actual missions that are quite enjoyable and make you eager to get the next season of missions. Spartan Ops is a great choice if you liked playing campaign with other players. It's new and fresh and does not get old. Multiplayer gets a 10/10. The music is great. The graphics are spectacular. The voice acting is excellent. It's a fantastic game. I would recommend this game to not only true fans of Halo, but gamers in general. Definitely one of the most amazing games I have ever played. Expand
  55. Nov 19, 2012
    Its very seldom that a game gets redone with this kind of shine! You can tell that 343 really put there heart and soul into Halo 4!! So lets get right to it! GRAPHIX = 10; The Graphix are the best for any shooter to date on console!! Everything is Modeled Beautifully and the style of the levels online and offline is top notch right down to the smallest detail!! Everything even littleIts very seldom that a game gets redone with this kind of shine! You can tell that 343 really put there heart and soul into Halo 4!! So lets get right to it! GRAPHIX = 10; The Graphix are the best for any shooter to date on console!! Everything is Modeled Beautifully and the style of the levels online and offline is top notch right down to the smallest detail!! Everything even little things like elevators and doors feels alive, even the new guns, you will know what I mean when you see it all! GAMEPLAY = 10; It is kind of the same old Halo. That said, it should be! Halo is a timeless classic that does not need too much change! There are plenty of new weapon's thrown into the multi-player mix to keep things interesting for a long time to come, Little things like not letting grenades drop when a player is killed changes the dynamic of the game quite a bit. This is definitely for the better!! You don't walk into a room full of dead guys and an endless supply of grenades to toss at incoming players! So far the new guns all feel balanced so far! The Campaign is done very nicely ...the story is totally engrossing and keeps you wanting to see what is going to happen next! As I had said b4 the whole game feels alive and never really gets stale! There are tons of new enemies and lvl's to shoot up with new guns!! MUSIC/SOUND EFX = 9; Very Halo! Very Suspenseful when needed! Everything seems to have a purpose and place and it also gives you that feeling that everything in the game is living and breathing! All of the Guns have been redone, everything from the sword to the BR has a different sound and almost different feel! I'm not sure if I like all of sounds to all of the old guns yet, its taking some getting use to, and it has thrown me off a few times in the beginning! But over all Everything still has that feeling of love and dedication from 343 and only time will truly tell if something is off truly. CONTROLS = 8; This is still where I wish some of the other halos would have given us a little more choice as to what buttons do what. You still have to find a preset controller setting that works for you, because there is still no custom config to the controller! I do prefer the recon setting so I at least have settled for something, but having to settle is not something I wanted to have to do! Over all the controls do work fine and they are useable! It just might be something of a decision maker for some people and might turn some people off a bit. This is also why I gave the game a 9 instead of a 10. REPLAY = 10; Halo has always had a ton of re-playability, yea after you beat the campaign you can go back through co op or with different skulls turned off and on. You can go back through on different difficulties but the story remains the same and so do the battles for the most part. The AI does change the way it fights on different difficulties and can really cause problems that being said. Multiplayer will get new map packs as it always does and its always a blast to play online multiplayer. There is a new mode that gives you weekly scheduled programs with more story and more game play that keep co op and single player exciting and fresh! Over all I think that the single player and co op is the best since Halo CE!! The story and feel of it is awe inspiring! Multiplayer is great and gets a lot of new things to play with and try out! The weekly free story updates should keep the Halo Universe rolling on until the next installment! OVER ALL = 9; This should be up for game of the year!! Yes I will say it is that good! A must have for anyone who really likes Halo and FPS fans alike ...unless your just a stubborn spec ops geek! ;p Expand
  56. Nov 19, 2012
    This game in my opinion is the best in the series. Keep in mind I thought Reach was a downgrade from Halo 2 and 3. There are huge improvements with weapons, graphics, sounds, story line in campaign, and level set up. 10/10 no doubt.
  57. Sep 8, 2013
    Halo 4 is a game that exceeded my expectations. It's campaign is an example of quality over quantity, with story telling will draw you in right from the beginning. The opening cut scene blew me away and the first mission introduced me to the dark and beautiful level design which became so distinctive to this game. Solid gameplay was a given, it doesn't feel entirely like Halo, it feelsHalo 4 is a game that exceeded my expectations. It's campaign is an example of quality over quantity, with story telling will draw you in right from the beginning. The opening cut scene blew me away and the first mission introduced me to the dark and beautiful level design which became so distinctive to this game. Solid gameplay was a given, it doesn't feel entirely like Halo, it feels more like how Halo should have been. A Sci-Fi shooter set in a sophisticated and thrilling universe. A huge but balanced selection human and alien weaponry finely compliments it's brilliant pacing. The games graphical achievements were an unexpected surprise, considering the fact that I've never been impressed by a Halo games graphics before. This is due to crazy technical achievement that truly pushes the now ancient hardware to it's limits. With incredible set piece after set piece, this game isn't just a cut above its predecessors but one of the greatest visual achievements this console generation. Sound design, as expected is top notch. The weapons have very distinctive sounds, although there are some hiccups such as the the warthog sounding far too aggressive, Halo's sound design is overall a joy to listen too. The games soundtrack had some pretty big boots to fill. While it simply does not fill those boots, it does a great job in setting Halo 4 apart from the original games by giving it a drastically different approach. The electronic sound that dominates the majority of the game is dark and menacing which is great but it doesn't hold the same emotional value that previous Halo titles massive scores did. Negatives to do with the game's campaign include minor issues such as the annoyances with pressing multiple switches. While the game play does a good job of being diverse, this feels like a lazy way to proceed through levels and makes it feel slightly tedious at times. But the big issue is that the game deserved a proper finale, the opening to the final mission was to me, one of the standout sections in the entire series (even giving The Maw's warthog escape a run for it's money). As the level proceeded I was almost certain a climatic ending would be the icing on the cake. Instead it finished abruptly, and felt very underwhelming. I personally feel that Halo 4 should have been just one mission longer, enough to give the game the ending it deserved.

As for the multiplayer, it's simply not as good as Halo 3. The formula has been drastically changed and although 343 have received a lot of flack for it, I understand their dilemma. Halo has long passed it's prime as far as multiplayer is concerned and the best 343 can do is try to keep up with the times without forgetting the games roots. That's probably even more difficult than it sounds. Although the multiplayer doesn't feel like classic Halo, even if it did it still wouldn't see half of Halo 3's success.

Overall I give this game an 8/10. A lot of the games elements truly feel like they've paid homage to the original (and in my opinion best) Halo, and in some areas it comfortably surpasses the original trilogy. It all just feels a little too late, Halo 4's merits will never truly be recognised as the franchise has already overstayed it's welcome.. And there's still a lot more to come!
  58. Nov 24, 2012
    smooth gameplay mixed with an enticing story creates a stunning new Halo game. Spartan Ops adds quick but fun missions updated weekly. The multiplayer is among the best in all of the Halo games. The game overall is balanced, sleek and beautiful! 343 should be proud to have made a game worthy to have made a game that raises the bar on standards. 343 has shown that Halo is in capable hands.
  59. Nov 24, 2012
    Best graphics, best single player campaign, best weapons, best multiplayer. A masterpiece, 343i demonstrated the love for the series, bringing the best Halo yet to the Xbox console. Thank you
  60. Nov 25, 2012
    Fantastic game! Best graphics on Xbox 360 by a mile. Gameplay is great in single player, but not hooked on multiplayer, just is'nt doing anything for me. have'nt been hooked on a halo game since 3, but this is still a great game.
  61. Dec 1, 2012
    Congratulations to 343i Studios for creating such a masterpiece of gaming. Through my personal playing of all the aspects of Halo 4, I have only encountered a few minor glitches, that literally have done nothing to slow me down.
    Looking at Halo 4, you would be hard pressed to believe this isn't a next-gen title, as the graphics are utterly stunning, and demonstrate what a talented team of developers can do with outdated technology. 343i's emphasis on story and personal connections in Halo 4 comes shining through with a deep, emotional rollercoaster that will have you sitting on the edge of your seat through most of the game. From the absolutely stunning beginning, all the way through to the mind-blowing ending, Halo 4 keeps you wanting more and more.
    Not to be outdone by the incredible campaign, the multiplayer emerges as the best in the entire series. The use of ordinance drops and new game modes makes for an entertaining and balanced competitive multiplayer scene. Meanwhile, Spartan ops delivers a fresh and compelling entry into the series. The use of CG scenes to lay the foundation for the impressive firefight-based missions adds to the overall story based experience 343i wanted to deliver. As always, Forge represents the continuing advancement of player generated content, allowing for an unrivaled creation mode. This review truly doesn't do Halo 4 justice, and the only advice I can truly offer at this point is, go out and try it. You won't be disappointed.
  62. Dec 2, 2012
    I love this game. The graphics are immense and the campaign is also brilliant. Multiplayer has brilliant maps and guns. Ordnance is a feature I love and forge is great for building anything you like, the magnets really help.
  63. Dec 5, 2012
    Score- 10.0 (Having trouble with Metacritic's Score system)

Score- 10.0 (Having trouble with Metacritic's Score system)

Halo 4 is an epic science fiction tale if there ever was one. It is a superbly crafted game that fully captures the essence of the Halo universe left by Bungie Studios. Bungie's successor in developing the Halo franchise, 343 Industries are clearly people who love Halo this makes the game all te better. 343 has put in tons of improvements into this game, and whether it be storytelling, graphics, sound, this propels Halo 4 above and beyond my expectations, making it one of the best games of this year, if not one of the best in this generation. The story is fantastic and is possibly the best in the Halo franchise to date. It harkened back to Combat Evolved, where Master Chief an Cortana discover a strange planet an encounter new enemies, unlike anything seen before. In Halo 4, the Chief and Cortana discover the Forerunner planet of Requiem, which is filled with brand new lush environments in which the game takes place. These environments are beautiful and fun to play around in. We also meet the Prometheans, who are a nice fresh enemy group that challenges your skills and tactics. The story here is mostly focused on the relationship between Cortana and Master Chief, which creates an emotional attachment to the characters that hasn't been seen in a Halo fame before. You will definitely feel the emotional impact by the end of this game. The graphics have surpassed anything I thought was capable of the Xbox 360. It is definitely up there with the top visual games of the generation, and the CGI in cutscenes shines. The sound has been completely overhauled. The arsenal of weapons at your disposal is phenomenal and all of these weapons sound fierce in their own right. The guns pack a heavy punch upon firing, creating an incredibly satisfying moment when you obliterate someone with an Incineration Cannon, or mow someone down with the Assault Rifle (which isn't half bad in this game). The multiplayer has been adjusted to be similar to games such as Call of Duty or Battlefield; and that's not a bad thing. You can now create custom loadouts, which creates the tactical class building feel of other games, while still maintaining the traditional Halo feel. Power weapons are still scattered around, but they are able to be seen on the player's HUD, making them a hotspot for intense firefights. Also added to the class building system are abilities (returning from Reach) which areuch more balanced this time around, and "perk-esque" traits (such as unlimited sprint, faster reload and weapon swap, etc.). This is a welcome addition and allows more variety in the gameplay. The gameplay of multiplayer still feels like traditional Halo, but with these improvements, it feels even better. Replacing Firefight mode from ODST and Reach is Spartan Ops, which is episodic missions, accompanied by a CGI cutscene story. Each Episode composes of 5 chapters, but they are very short (a whole episode takes about 1-1.5 hours on Legendary). They're fun diversions, albeit minimal ones. Still they add longevity to the game, which is already sprouting with it. There are some minor annoyances however. The jump from Normal to Heroic and legendary difficulties in Halo 4 is large and very hard. Hali's legendary mode has never been forgiving, but Halo 4's difficulty spikes are extreme. While this, and the removal of Firefight make for slight annoyances they can't damage hiw good this game is. Halo 4 is not a perfect game. There never has, and never will be a perfect game. But Halo 4 is probably the closest we'll get for this generation of consoles. It may not be perfect, but is so, damn close.
  64. Mar 25, 2013
    Halo 4 brings back the ultimate Halo game experience with awesomeness and intensity. Halo fans will be pleased.
  65. Dec 22, 2012
    Very short campaign and actually easy, but for those who were waiting the return of the Master Chief it cannot be a disappointing game, it is not perfect but it is a very good game. Awesome story, incredible soundtrack but it is too short. 343 did a great job
  66. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a very good game, great multiplayer and great sound design and graphics. The only complaint I have about it is the length of the campaign, it's not as long as the other Halo games and you could finish it in a couple of days. Multiplayer should keep you busy for a long time though, and spartan ops is a good new mode that was added. Spartan ops is like a new mini campaign, theThis is a very good game, great multiplayer and great sound design and graphics. The only complaint I have about it is the length of the campaign, it's not as long as the other Halo games and you could finish it in a couple of days. Multiplayer should keep you busy for a long time though, and spartan ops is a good new mode that was added. Spartan ops is like a new mini campaign, the missions aren't long but they aren't meant to be long so I like it. Any Xbox player should pick this up. Expand
  67. Jan 6, 2013
    Amazing game! The graphics upgrade that 343 has done on this game is simply outstanding. The new campaign was entertaining and I really enjoyed it. The new Spartan Ops feature is great (New missions with cut scenes done in seasons). At first I was disappointed 343 removed Firefight, but have enjoyed Spartan Ops much more now anyway. The multiplayer is as tight as ever and tons of newAmazing game! The graphics upgrade that 343 has done on this game is simply outstanding. The new campaign was entertaining and I really enjoyed it. The new Spartan Ops feature is great (New missions with cut scenes done in seasons). At first I was disappointed 343 removed Firefight, but have enjoyed Spartan Ops much more now anyway. The multiplayer is as tight as ever and tons of new weapons and abilities and to the package. This game has broken all my expectations and is my favorite Halo game ever. Expand
  68. Jan 15, 2013
    Brilliant graphics . Solid shooting and amazing new guns. Multiplayer is the best . Campaign story is so gooood and intresting cant wait to find out what happens in this amazing trilogy . 343 industries made the best halo game to date.
  69. Jan 24, 2013
    +Awesome Campaign
    +Cool Multiplayer
    +Spartan Ops
    +Master Chief is Back!
    +Gorgerous Graphics Halo 4 is a masterpiece game,graphics,campaign ad multiplayer
  70. Jan 16, 2013
    I cant fault the game for its presentation; this is probably the best the 360 can ever look, and add in a soundtrack where I went looking for the tracks on youtube. The sound effects are done brilliantly, where firing an assault rifle for the first time gives you eargasms, and the environments are varied and gorgeous.

The game falls down a bit in the gameplay. Its added in modern

The game falls down a bit in the gameplay. Its added in modern annoyances that will deter veterans, but will have newer players looking to see if its for them. Sprint, new abilities, and choosing custom loadouts are a way to catch up with the Military shooters, but it loses the earlier games feeling of being on the same playing field at the start, and picking up powerups and weapons as you go. Having custom loadouts inherently changes players status on the battlefield, and as such loses that competitive edge from Halo 2 and 3. The lack of ranked playlists is the nail in the coffin for competitive types, but social still has its good clean halo fun.

The campaign is deeper from a character narrative, but seems like it has less scope than Halo 3. It has new enemies to fight, and new weapons to fight them with to keep it from feeling ancient. The main problem is its overly linear feel, but aside from that its still a solid story for the fans.

343 have done a great job with keeping Halo as a AAA shooter, and despite the complaints I have with the game, it does not mean I hate it. I like the halo feel, while questionning the new direction, and hope the next game they develop improves upon the linear nature of single player, and change the multiplayer somewhat.
  71. Jan 17, 2013
    Playing halo 4 is like reliving the first time I played the original! The campaign is great the interaction between chief and cortana is engrossing to say the least. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous I spent a lot of time just looking around! The multiplayer is like I said earlier a great throw back with few tweaks thrown in. I think any Xbox owner should have this in there collection
  72. Jan 19, 2013
    343 have done a great job with this game, the campaign is blast to play through and multiplayer is fun but not as good as Halo 3's. The only complaint i have with this game is that the Spartan Ops mode feels dull and uninspired, however that should improve upon further episodes. This is a must buy for every halo or fps fan.
  73. Jan 20, 2013
    An extremely good game with superb level design. Its storytelling and gameplay are also great with improved gunplay and movement mechanics. However, it doesn't match the original trilogy's quality. It's not as long and doesn't have nearly the same lasting impact those games left behind. You'll also miss the original trilogy's musical score because although this game's is good it's notAn extremely good game with superb level design. Its storytelling and gameplay are also great with improved gunplay and movement mechanics. However, it doesn't match the original trilogy's quality. It's not as long and doesn't have nearly the same lasting impact those games left behind. You'll also miss the original trilogy's musical score because although this game's is good it's not nearly as masterful. It also doesn't have as much epic grandeur as those games even if it has more than most others. The bottom line: An excellent game living in the shadows of its predecessors. Expand
  74. Jan 24, 2013
    I gave halo 4 a 9/10 because it wasn't perfect. Halo 4's campaign was compelling and I didn't want to stop until I new the end. I was a little disappointing in the end but I still liked it. Originally I was going to buy Borderlands 2 but when I saw how you could customize your Spartan on how you want it to look. I liked how you had to unlock helmets, armor, and stances to make the coolestI gave halo 4 a 9/10 because it wasn't perfect. Halo 4's campaign was compelling and I didn't want to stop until I new the end. I was a little disappointing in the end but I still liked it. Originally I was going to buy Borderlands 2 but when I saw how you could customize your Spartan on how you want it to look. I liked how you had to unlock helmets, armor, and stances to make the coolest spartan. The only bad thing about Halo 4 is that in Spartan Ops it has a little when there are a lot of explosions. All of these reasons is why Halo 4 is one of my favorites. It's so good I still play it online. Expand
  75. Feb 14, 2013
    another masterpiece of a halo game the story,music, game play and visuals are astounding and of the same high standard as the bungie halo games.the multiplier is the best on console with spartan ops as a interesting add-on to the single player. 343 keep up the good work
  76. Feb 16, 2013
    The best Halo since 1 in my opinion. While the story is a bit incoherent at times, and leaves me not caring most of the time honestly, this is still the most fun I've had playing a Halo game since 1. The weapons are fun to use, and the integration of CoD-esque multiplayer formats are a warm welcome for Halo. Can't wait to see how 343 handles the rest of the trilogy.
  77. Feb 21, 2013
    Since Halo 4 is the beginning of a new trilogy one got to view it from different angles. If you compare it as a single game and not part of a franchise, it's simply outstanding! It looks awesome, has fluent gameplay and one hell of a soundtrack and if the campaign is to short: There is a carnage waiting online! But if we see it as the newest part of a series Halo 4 is mediocre. Nothing inSince Halo 4 is the beginning of a new trilogy one got to view it from different angles. If you compare it as a single game and not part of a franchise, it's simply outstanding! It looks awesome, has fluent gameplay and one hell of a soundtrack and if the campaign is to short: There is a carnage waiting online! But if we see it as the newest part of a series Halo 4 is mediocre. Nothing in Halo 4 is neither very good nor very bad. Just the tuned visuals and "Spartan Ops" make it somewhat special in the franchise. The soundtrack and gameplay though are compared to the other Halo games about average. This does not mean it's bad, there was just something missing though. Expand
  78. Apr 24, 2013
    Es un gran juego 343 INDUSTRIES hiso este epico juego de la epica saga de HALO al principio no me gusto para nada pero luego de unas semanas jugandolo me di cuenta de lo genial que era el mejor juego del 2012 de seguro
  79. lox
    Mar 16, 2014
    Graphically beautiful, fun campaign, fluid controls, great set-pieces and addicting multiplayer, Halo 4 is a welcome entry to the franchise. While it doesn't quite reach the heights of 1 and 2, and the campaign is fairly short, it's still entertaining as hell.
  80. Mar 1, 2013
    I personally, being a halo fan-boy think that this is the second best of all the halo games! I loved the campaign, with drawback on the extremely long missions. The best halo game i think is halo 2. This game is mainly focused for online game play since after the campaign there is nothing to do unless you have xbox live. Other than that this is one of the best games i have ever played!
  81. Mar 4, 2013
    The game is very good and spartan ops and Online are great but the campaign should be longer and tell more of a story plus have more main characters but you should be able to freely roam the infinity
  82. Jan 7, 2014
    It's pretty clear that 343 put a great deal of effort into the game. The production values are extremely high, and it's one of the best-looking games on the market even after the release of the Xbox One and PS4. The sound is mostly great as well. The gameplay is almost identical to past Halo games, which is a good thing, but you may be a little tired of it by now if you'd played all theIt's pretty clear that 343 put a great deal of effort into the game. The production values are extremely high, and it's one of the best-looking games on the market even after the release of the Xbox One and PS4. The sound is mostly great as well. The gameplay is almost identical to past Halo games, which is a good thing, but you may be a little tired of it by now if you'd played all the other games in the series. I'm only taking off a couple points for the rehashed gameplay and a couple weird moments in co-op, like trying to get through the scripted vehicle sections and having your character randomly explode because the other player died. Overall it's still one of the best shooters you can get for a console. Expand
  83. Mar 17, 2013
    THE GAME IS GREAT AND ALL! The multiplayer is splendid! Campaign is the best! But too bad bungie was busy on other projects. So i will give this game a 8/10!
  84. Mar 11, 2013
    The greatest game ever made? Yes. Hands down the best game I have ever played since I first shot a Nazi in Wolfenstein 3D. The story is epic; even emotional if you're at all attached to the Chief Cortana. If you're not...you will be. Without a doubt the best graphics I've seen on the 360. The gameplay is intense, varied, and enthralling. Thankfully the new multiplayer system doesn'tThe greatest game ever made? Yes. Hands down the best game I have ever played since I first shot a Nazi in Wolfenstein 3D. The story is epic; even emotional if you're at all attached to the Chief Cortana. If you're not...you will be. Without a doubt the best graphics I've seen on the 360. The gameplay is intense, varied, and enthralling. Thankfully the new multiplayer system doesn't disappoint either. Matches seem to be better balanced and the customization of your Spartan and your loadouts is very well thought out. I've played the game all the way through twice on Heroic Legendary and will play it again it's that good. Not one complaint about this game. It has set the bar for all future first-person shooters. Expand
  85. Mar 17, 2013
    Amazing. There are a few flaws in the programming, like the heath and stamina being depleted easily. It stands out from the other Halo games easily, almost giving it a unique touch. The campaign has an amazing story line and plot, which follows an odd pursuit never seen before in the Halo series. Multiplayer follows suit with a pimped-out GUI and exceptional game modes. Favorable, minusAmazing. There are a few flaws in the programming, like the heath and stamina being depleted easily. It stands out from the other Halo games easily, almost giving it a unique touch. The campaign has an amazing story line and plot, which follows an odd pursuit never seen before in the Halo series. Multiplayer follows suit with a pimped-out GUI and exceptional game modes. Favorable, minus some flaws that appears that the developers were eager to dish out a sequel too soon. Expand
  86. Mar 18, 2013
    Campaign was long and hard, but it was good and awesome how it finished. Legendary mode got 10x harder since Bungie on Halo Reach. Multilayer is fun, and they keep adding new game modes so players wont get bored. File Sharing was a issue but 4 or so months later they fixed and made sure it worked.. and now it does both on the game and website. The Halo way point app hasn't been updated yetCampaign was long and hard, but it was good and awesome how it finished. Legendary mode got 10x harder since Bungie on Halo Reach. Multilayer is fun, and they keep adding new game modes so players wont get bored. File Sharing was a issue but 4 or so months later they fixed and made sure it worked.. and now it does both on the game and website. The Halo way point app hasn't been updated yet to track stats in which it is sad but thats another thing. Overall its a good game, and we can now see that 343 is not just a Microsoft company but the future for Halo Series to come. Expand
  87. Mar 20, 2013
    This game is absolutely beautiful! I have been a long-time fan of the Halo series, and when I heard that Halo 4 was finally coming out, I was extremely excited! Now that I have had the chance to play through all the content available, I must say it is hard to find a problem with this game. For an ageing console, the graphics are simply stunning. Controls are still tight, so that is stillThis game is absolutely beautiful! I have been a long-time fan of the Halo series, and when I heard that Halo 4 was finally coming out, I was extremely excited! Now that I have had the chance to play through all the content available, I must say it is hard to find a problem with this game. For an ageing console, the graphics are simply stunning. Controls are still tight, so that is still not broken. Enemy and friendly AI is more challenging then ever, especially on harder difficulties. The story in the campaign was well-written, and touching at times. Spartan Ops started off slow, but recently has truly turned into a good story. The biggest beef that people keep bringing up is '343 stole from CoD'. I will tell you that the multiplayer in Halo 4 is nothing like Call of Duty's. Nothing at all! The supposed things ripped of the competition were used in countless games before CoD, and are used in ways that still provide balance and keep the game feeling like Halo. This game is worth the buy, 100%! Expand
  88. Apr 9, 2013
    Awesome Game which must be played.
    Good: Graphics are amazing, controls are different but good,great multiplayer modes, split-screen is great, variety of modes, new enemies are interesting, the story can be understood without reading the books, tons of customization, Bad A Steep Learning Curve if you're new to Halo, Campaign is sometimes a bit too chaotic
    10/10 Just Buy It Seriously
  89. Mar 26, 2013
    Wow. That's how you would sum up Halo 4 in one word. Great story, addicting multiplayer,and great ending. Probably the only complaint would be the DMR being over powered. But if playing everything else in the game you won't care. Please if you're a halo fan stop reading this review and buy this game. You won't be disappointed.
  90. Apr 5, 2013
    This is the Halo you have been waiting for, With plenty of new weapons and a new race of enemies, The Promethean's, This game does not disappoint. The campaign is more interested in Master Chiefs and Cortana's relationship as Cortana is quickly deteriorating due to Rampancy. As Master Chief fights to get back to Earth to save Cortana he must fend off the Didact who wants to destroyThis is the Halo you have been waiting for, With plenty of new weapons and a new race of enemies, The Promethean's, This game does not disappoint. The campaign is more interested in Master Chiefs and Cortana's relationship as Cortana is quickly deteriorating due to Rampancy. As Master Chief fights to get back to Earth to save Cortana he must fend off the Didact who wants to destroy Humanity. The Multiplayer has been completely redesigned, Now with new matchmaking, More player customization, And maps made specifically for Multiplayer. The multiplayer is brilliantly balanced, Every gun is different yet the same. Spartan Ops is replacing Firefight though. But is is well worth the trade off, Being able to play as a Spartan-IV in a completely free weekly DLC that expands after the main campaign makes you feel more alive than any other game. You feel like you make a difference in these missions. The game looks astounding and sounds astounding. The graphics are the most outstanding in the series and the musical score fits the tone of the game. If you enjoy Halo then this is the game for you. Expand
  91. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Halo 4 is a good start for 343 Industries in not just Halo but in gaming. Sure they did a good job with Halo: CEA however that was what I'd class as half a job, they polished an already great game and did a good job to make it look and somewhat feel like a modern game. However Halo 4 is 343's first full blown game.

343 have already proven they can do a great job writing the story in Halo with its books, cartoons and many other productions they have created and I personally was very excited to see how they would take the Master Chiefs story and progress it further. A safe move to play would have been to just throw in a random reason that the covenant plan to restart the war with Humanity however 343 do a great job making Halo 4 feel bigger than the covenant, sure there is the storm faction (Poorly explained in the game) but they never feel like the main threat throughout the story and only feel like they are there to keep the Halo feeling we've all grown to love fighting them. 343 take the focus away from the Covenant with the Prometheans, a challenging but somewhat irritating new enemy in the campaign. At first the feeling that you are fighting something new and unpredictable gives you a great feeling, however there just always feels like there is something missing from them, that makes them feel fun to fight, that makes you feel like you are playing Halo and if you play the game on Legendary they become far less of a challenging enemy and become a bullet sponging monster that you just wish you could avoid instead of challenge it. However story-wise with the return of the Forerunners in particular the only one you see throughout the game; The Didact, if following the story makes you feel like you are dealing with something completely unknown, the first encounter with this Enhanced forerunner (Explained throughout Terminals in game) he makes our unstoppable Master Chief look like a pushover and throws him to the other side of the room with a simple flick installing the fear of him instantly. Although the end of the game is somewhat satisfying especially the speech from the Didact is still leaves you with not many hints of what could be coming next, sure people don't like cliffhangers but I can't help but feel this game would have befitted from one, when I finished the game although I know it's far from over, I jus felt like well... that's that dealt with. The story is great in this game even with it's underwhelming ending it defiantly leaves Halo with many different paths it could follow in Halo 5. Now the multiplayer of Halo 4 is also a mixture of goof and bad, as a long time Halo fan I'd love to be able to say yeah, it's amazing it's perfect but I can't, I personally have stopped playing it that often only a few months after release, it's not because it's bad but it just seems to bore me a lot more than any other Halo game has. I love the customization in this game with classes and your spartan is gives you many, many different options to customize your spartan in the way you want to, the only downside to this is the only real mode that makes you feel like your spartan is slightly important is Spartan Ops however although this mode is enjoyable and has a good story to it, it feels very respective and you just seem to be completing objevtives that add nothing to the actual story of Spartan Ops. Versus side of multiplayer is a blast to play at first but it doesn't take long for you to feel like something is missing that makes it feel again, less like Halo. The shear amount of playlists in the mutliplayer I personally find makes the game that much more repetitive as you can mostly chose the exact mode you want to play with very few playlists offering different modes within them. The DLC for this game sticks to traditional Halo DLC... Map Packs. Map Packs I can't help but feel are outdated DLC, yeah they can be good here and there but when the only DLC a entire franchise has ever revived is map packs then it kind of does become predicable, with the multiplayer already boring the player fast the map packs bring a few more hours of fun and then the same issues kick in with the game just feeling less and less fun over time, yeah every game eventually may feel like that but this one in particular suffers from it more than other games. I can't help but feel Halo needs some kind of great DLC like a full blown expansion such as what ODST was planned to be.

Over-all Halo 4 is a good start for 343 and one can hope that they will learn from mistakes made in the game and improve with Halo 5. There are a lot of other things I could go into with the game however most are just small things such as the new gun sounds and the whole new soundtrack. A great story, fun in short bursts gameplay and leaves the Halo franchise with some good options this game earns a 8/10 from me even if I'd love to give the game a 10/10 because I love the Halo Universe I just can't.

92. Apr 2, 2013
    Halo 4 is a fantastic FPS. It is far better than Halo Reach and outclasses it in every way. The campaign is slightly better with awesome enemies and a good storyline. The online multiplayer is far better than Halo Reach with good maps and some from older games. However, it wasn't as good as the classic Halo 3. I still highly recommend, but I still don't feel it was as classic and simple as Halo 3.
  93. Apr 4, 2013
    If you're a Halo fan, this game will make a fine addition to your collection. Fantastic campaign, even better multiplayer, and Spartan Ops is a welcome co-op addition that adds another element to the story. For forge lovers, like myself, there are some things they left out that might disappoint you, but it's still solid, especially with the recent addition of "Forge Islands". Overall, theIf you're a Halo fan, this game will make a fine addition to your collection. Fantastic campaign, even better multiplayer, and Spartan Ops is a welcome co-op addition that adds another element to the story. For forge lovers, like myself, there are some things they left out that might disappoint you, but it's still solid, especially with the recent addition of "Forge Islands". Overall, the best arcade FPS game on the Xbox 360 right now. If you're a Halo fan, you will not regret purchasing this. Expand
  94. Apr 8, 2013
    I know this review is really late. I got Halo 4 on launch (Nov 6) but since I am new to Metacritic I am writing the review now because I recently just went through the game again. I have beaten the game on every difficulty level and can honestly say they ramp up the difficulty perfectly. The game is tough but fair. You need to be extremely tactical in Legendary mode. The Master Chief storyI know this review is really late. I got Halo 4 on launch (Nov 6) but since I am new to Metacritic I am writing the review now because I recently just went through the game again. I have beaten the game on every difficulty level and can honestly say they ramp up the difficulty perfectly. The game is tough but fair. You need to be extremely tactical in Legendary mode. The Master Chief story continues in Halo 4 and I have to say, I think it's the best yet. I have played through every Halo game but I think this one stands above the rest. 343 has done an excellent job taking over from Bungie which isn't an easy thing to do. The story is truly epic, and you get to see a different side to the Chief, his human side. It's nice to see under all that armour that there is a living, thinking person under there. He talks a lot in this game, I would say more than the 3 previous Halo games combined. In terms of multiplayer, again very well done. Combat and maps feel fresh. This is a must own game for any 360 user. Expand
  95. Apr 22, 2013
    Halo 4 is definately the best exclusive game on the xbox 360 and thats no easy feat. the single player campaign is pretty good, i dont hink as good as halo 2 or 3 but a good start to a new trillogy staring the one and only master chief. the graphics in the game are quite amazing with lighting that is the true showcase for the game. halo has finnaly come out on top with the graphics areHalo 4 is definately the best exclusive game on the xbox 360 and thats no easy feat. the single player campaign is pretty good, i dont hink as good as halo 2 or 3 but a good start to a new trillogy staring the one and only master chief. the graphics in the game are quite amazing with lighting that is the true showcase for the game. halo has finnaly come out on top with the graphics are concerned compaired to cod of battlefield. the controls have been tweeked yet again from halo reach where u can now run by default which is very nice and overall i think the contols are quite tight. they did replace the firefight game mode with a new mode called spartan ops which is a nice addition as it has a story in it that goes beyond the campaign as well as letting you use your own spartan. but what really shines is the multiplayer which as been the case for as long as halo has been around. the new perk and armor abilities really spice it up and make the game stand on its own as far as fps games go. the maps both on the cd and dlc are amazing as well with some sure classics in the group such as haven and complex. if you are a halo fan, fps fan, multiplayer fan, or just want a good game this is where it is at. i have over 5 days put into the multiplayer alone. dont think about it just buy it. nuff said. Expand
  96. Apr 22, 2013
    When I first played Halo 4 I was star struck! However this feeling only stuck with me until I heard the music. Don't get me wrong the soundtrack sounded good, it's just that the music wasn't Halo, no matter how hard I tried to get used to this amazing game the music would just shut me down. When I hear the music from the previous Halo games, my memories playing those Halo gamesWhen I first played Halo 4 I was star struck! However this feeling only stuck with me until I heard the music. Don't get me wrong the soundtrack sounded good, it's just that the music wasn't Halo, no matter how hard I tried to get used to this amazing game the music would just shut me down. When I hear the music from the previous Halo games, my memories playing those Halo games automatically just pop up in my head because that style of music symbolized Halo for me and defined the game. However when I hear Halo 4's music being played I can't help but feel like 343i is force feeding me food I have no taste for. At some points in space in the game it felt like I was playing star wars because the music was so similar to the music from star wars. Also at very few points the music was too loud I couldn't properly hear the dialogue.
    The graphics of this game were outstanding, especially during the cutscenes where the characters almost looked real, however there were few times in the game where the graphics wern't all that great like the first time you see requiem where it looks dodgy and unfinished compared to the ship you were standing on but to most gamers that doesn't matter anyway, but 343i need to remember that there are gamers out there that do care about those things.
    Gameplay wise could of been so much better if the right music was properly fitted to the game, but other than that fact the gameplay was amzaing and felt like you were actually in the game because of how smooth it runs and how well it works, the games ai's were very intelligent and work well with all the beautiful maps on this game.
    The dialogue in this game was supurb and was in synchronisation with the mouths of the characters. At times master chiefs dialogue felt odd but was slowly introducing an entire new aspect of how we see him which isn't necessarily such a bad thing.
    The story of Halo 4 was a bit hard for some new players to interprete but if it was interpreted correctly by the player, they would be thrilled by how amazing it works and would feel all sorts of emotions when playing playing the game and watching the cutscenes.
    The multiplayer of Halo 4 is fun and the maps are well suited to fit the gametype's. Ordnance drops are also fun to use as they are a new feature to the multiplayer of this game. The vehicles and weapons were also placed correctly around the maps and helped make the maps function more smoothly.
    Forge is a heep load of fun but could be further improved by letting the players move more freely across the maps by lessening the boundaries. It could also be improved by giving the players more items to use because the less items there are, the less things players are going to be able to do with those items. But on the bright side forge has gained new features such as locking and duplicating items, not to forget being able to delete by pallete or simply being able delete all objects which is extremly helpful.
    Spartan Ops is also a new feature added to Halo 4 however it does replace firefight. Spartan Ops offers players (with gold membership the ability to play threw another story as a spartan 4 on fireteam Crimson. Usually a new episode comes out every week (unless the season is finsihed or a break occurs) which allows players to watch a 5 minute cutscene and play 5 missions with their friends or solo. There are 10 episodes per season and usually a break in the middle which seperates the first 5 episodes from the last 5 episodes and in my opinion this is great practice for 343i to improve on their skills and i think the last 5 episodes of spartan ops prove that they have improved a great deal.
    As much as I didn't want to write about some of negative things about this game I really want to help 343i improve on what they are doing for future Halo titles.

Soundtrack: 3.5/10
    graphics: 9.5/10
    gameplay: 8/10
    dialogue: 9/10
    story: 9/10
    multiplayer: 8.5/10
    forge: 8/10
    spartan ops: 8.5/10
    overall: 8/10

conclussion: It is evident that 343i have done a great job with Halo 4 but it could be imroved in some areas like the soundtrack for example, but other than that cheers to you 343i, and thank you for producing an incredible game.
  97. Apr 24, 2013
    Game is amazing, was very skeptical. Campaign was consistent brilliance, and multiplayer is fantastic! I just wish the maps were more memorable. I give this a 10/10. A little bias but its because I love Halo
  98. Apr 25, 2013
    I am a very big halo fan and let me tell you this game has passed all my expectation the graphics for this game are beautiful The story is about 8 hours for the average player Some people are giving this game negative reviews maybe its because of the new intro of amour ability Don't allow other players thought about this game change your thought about this I gave this gamer a ten ofI am a very big halo fan and let me tell you this game has passed all my expectation the graphics for this game are beautiful The story is about 8 hours for the average player Some people are giving this game negative reviews maybe its because of the new intro of amour ability Don't allow other players thought about this game change your thought about this I gave this gamer a ten of ten for the soul reason the story blows my mind People can say no game is perfect but this game is worth every penny Its a must buy for me Expand
  99. Jun 12, 2013
    Halo 4 was a great game I really enjoyed it but it wasn't what I thought it was going to be but I had a really good time playing this game solo or with friends but preferably with friends on the campaign on legendary. But some parts I didn't really enjoy like the DLC which was really awful, in my mind the default maps were a lot better but I still had a great time.
  100. Aug 17, 2013
    Un très bon jeu quoi qu'on en dise les développeurs ont vraiment bosser dessus et ça se sent
    après il y'a des défauts comme tous les jeu et des choses qui peuvent ne pas plaire aux fans de la licence comme moi mais on les oublis vite vu la qualité du jeu.
  101. Dec 1, 2012