6.9

1. Nov 6, 2012
    It would be a good game if it wasn't called Halo, but I have come to expect a certain standard from Halo. Halo 3 was my favorite and although this is good it falls short of Halo 2 and 3. It is probably close to Halo 2 in terms of quality, but honestly feels like Halo 2 meets Reach. There are too many gimmics that take me out of the multiplayer. I just can't see it being the halo I wanted. Ragnarok is good, Haven is great, Solace is great, but the rest of the maps are only average. Expand
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    I'll cut to the chase: the graphics are top notch, best on the Xbox 360. Voice active and cut scenes were superb. The game had great pacing in the first two thirds. Changes the history of Halo in terms of what we "thought" we knew about the ancient Forerunners.

However, there's a lot NOT to like.

The game has no third act, no final boss fight, lame musical score (good music, but
    nothing as epic as the original Halo trilogy), poor level design toward the end, and missing old features (no more dual wielding, no SMG). The game ends and you're literally like WTF, this is over already? It's easily the SHORTEST campaign (took me six hours on Heroic). You never fight the new villain except in a cut scene. Yup, heard right, you beat the villain in a cut scene. The game literally feels like Act One of a three act play, which isn't a good thing. At least Halo 1, 2, and 3 were all complete games with their own full story arch as part of a larger trilogy.

The beginning of the game is fun, tons of fun, but the last third is lame in comparison. They introduce all of the new weapons and alien bad guys in by the second mission so later on in the game you never get any new toys, no new challenges, no new surprises. The fun "race against the clock" missions and flying missions are all in the first half, so the second half is just running through repetitive corridors to active a button, then through more corridors to hit another button, rinse and repeat.

The musical score is good, but nothing that gets your blood pumping. If anything the whole score is just slow, sad, and depressing music. Nothing ever feels epic. Especially at one point in the game when the main bad guy (remember, the one you never get to fight) is slaughtering an entire city of humans. But you don't care. Remember in Halo 2 when the Covenant is attacking Earth? Remember when the game had cut scenes showing the death and destruction, with radio traffic of people crying out and military commanders begging for help as they're being overrun? Yup, Halo 4 has none of that. An entire city is being destroyed and it's like an afterthought in the game. There is NO urgency, no tension, no dread. You just kinda go from one place to the next.

While I was disappointed with the single player, I was briefly hopeful that Spartan Ops would justify the money I spent on this purchase. Sadly, while the awesome cut scenes promised a lot, I was again let down. I beat the COOP Spartan Ops in under 30 minutes. Yup, all six missions, What makes it worse is each mission is nothing but five minutes of running from one button to the next. Yup, nothing more than more "get here, hit button; go there, hit button" BS that ruined the single player.

Overall, Halo 4 felt like one big step backwards. It promised so much but delivers so little. I'm hopeful Halo 5 and 6 will deliver, but until then this game is going back to Best Buy. From now on I'll be renting any games developed by 343 Industries.
  3. Nov 13, 2012
    I have bought and played every halo game made. I love the franchise but to be completely honest, Halo 4 feels a little plain. The multiplayer is still well balanced but lacks any real improvement or innovation. Spartan Ops fails to really do anything except to put together short uneventful missions with amazing CGI shorts. Campaign is gorgeous visually but is really more of the same. Though i can say the story is better than that of previous installments, Reach being my favorite still. Halo is still the game we know and love but 343 played it a little too safe. Expand
  4. Nov 6, 2012
    Been playing every Halo since Halo 2 and Halo 4 does not disappoint , there are some patches needed for some minor bugs but every game has those , I do believe the grenades may be a little too powerful , this was also the case in the Halo Reach Beta if anyone remembers that . Anyways great graphics and great audio , sounds great on surround sound system. Level design is not boring , not sure what some people are smoking , I think gamers these days come to expect WAY TOO much from developers , This game mixes some of the best parts of COD , the pace of the game is a little faster kinda like COD and really gives you a complete experience , and you're actually wanting to level up to get more guns , items , and abilities vs the past halo games where your rank didn't actually mean anything but bragging rights . Expand
  5. Nov 15, 2012
    Un juego verdaderamente chingon, Es algo nostálgico pero definitivamente ofrece algo refrescante para aquellos ya familiarizados con la saga de halo. La campaña es corta pero no hay que olvidar que cada semana se están sacando episodios nuevos que funcionan como una extencion de la historia.
  6. Nov 11, 2012
    Campaign: The campaign is a bit of a letdown, short at only 6 hours, new enemy types get boring and repetitive quickly, new weapons are essentially variants on already human/covenant weapons, lack of ammo in a lot of areas in the game which has NEVER happened to me during a Halo campaign that I would run out of ammo, enemy and friendly AI can be boneheaded quite often. Storywise its not too bad, altho I find the "emotion" they shove into it feels a bit forced and overboard, especially compared to Reach's campaign where it had a somber atmosphere without saying much.

Spartan Ops: Spartan Ops is a neat idea, only 1 episode available so far but they will be releasing more, but for a first impression it hasnt been a good one. The good thing about spartan ops is that you can level up by doing those missions and you can use your MP loadouts as well, but the strange thing about spartan ops is the complete lack of challenge it provides because of the lack of checkpoint system, when you die you respawn like War Games multiplayer, so you could die an endless amount of times and not feel punished for it, so you can get through Legendary difficult without busting your brain which in my opinion is an odd choice as you can then complete each chapter in less than 20 minutes in co-op because of this instant respawn system. Another thing about the spartan ops missions is that they are all in locations from the sp campaign and there doesnt seem to be any original settings, now there could possibly be new episodes with completely different locations but I haven't heard anything on that.

War Games: The main draw for most people is the MP and to be honest I was never a big MP guy when it came to Halo, I played some Halo 3 but the most I played was the Reach Beta which I loved because it wasnt such a chore to kill opponents but upon release they changed that and I didnt play the MP much after that discovery. Halo 4 on the other hand, has a very solid MP thats not without flaws of its own, whether you want to believe it or not its a CODified Halo, but thats not necessarily a bad thing, here Halo is faster and in a lot of ways tighter than it ever was and it can be VERY addicting but some of what they introduced can be game breaking in ways, for example the SAW is very overpowered, and they tried to balance it by not letting you start with it in a loadout, and keeping it exclusively as an ordinance drop, but put it in the right hands and you may as well admit defeat, ive killed countless people with it and have been killed by countless people using it, its an awesome gun but almost ruins the game when its used in the non-pro game modes. As well the grenade damage seems to be a finicky thing where sometimes it does what you expect but other times you can't understand why someone's shields did not drop or why they did not drop themselves. This could be contributed to lag, but without clear indication of lag its hard to determine that as the cause. As well the usual MP FPS hooplah such as campers, bunny hoppers, cheap tactics etc... that we all have to live with do make their appearances strong but its not as frequent, thus far, as ive experience in other FPS games I've played (non Halo), the maps arent too bad, I prefer close quarter combat most so the standout map for me is Haven as it keeps the action fast.

I am actually giving the game a 7.5 but I can only select 7 or 8, but because I don't feel its a full 8 thats why I'm leaving it at 7. My reasons are as follows: - Way too strong of auto-aim or aim magnetism, I mainly play on PC so I rarely experience auto aim unless I play a console shooter on my xbox or ps3 but this games auto aim is WAY too strong and gives off the feeling that I'm not in complete control of the game.
    - While still on topic of controls is the lack of true customization of button mapping.
    -disappointing campaign it has some high points but can be pretty boring at times, new enemies became repetitive and lacked variety, new weapons are pretty much not needed as they are more or less counterparts to human/covenant weaponry, the story's forced emotion and some questionable characters who for whatever reason don't listen to the Master Chief when he saved humanity was cliche and non sensical.
    - Believe or not.... but the lack of Firefight to me leaves a big gaping hole in the game, i didn't think i would miss it after playing it to death on ODST and REACH but spartan ops just doesnt feel like a good replacement for one of the funnest game modes I've ever played
    - Speaking of spartan ops, essentially the lack of challenge, lack of variety (thus far) in mission structure and levels is disappointing and makes it feel tacked on despite the "weekly chapters" that will follow the launch of the game. The lack of punishment for dying especially for harder modes when it comes to respawn really makes it seem useless. Hopefully I'm proved wrong on this account and that more interesting levels will follow.
  7. Nov 14, 2012
    I am a big Halo fan i have bought and enjoyed all of them that all had good story's and gameplay. When i got Halo 4 i was glad to see the series back to its roots with talk of the forerunners and the halo's, the campaign took me around 6-7 hours on Normal difficulty and it was really good it was a halo game as they where before though the ending is anti-climactic. You will go to many different locations and fight some new enemy's with new weapons, even some older guns return with upgrades, The game look grate the sound it good so if your a graphics makes the game person you will be pleased. After finishing the campaign i when online and that's where my problem came into it. Unlike previous Halo games this time they made a big change, gone are the on map weapon you needed find, this time its a class baced multiplayer. once you get to a certain level you make a class slimier to another hit FPS that comes out this time of the year. it takes a lot of its elements form the OTHER FPS and makes it feel not halo, the maps are good but with the unevenness of the classes i feel like its a drag to unlock all the weapons that the game should have at the beginning. but with that aside the co-op campaign is really good i had tons of fun playing them and with more on the way it keeps the fun for a while. So with the good story and co-op it makes the game wort a buy for a fan or just a rent for others who are interested, as i said i am a big halo fan but this installment didn't grip me much, its a good go for the new developers (343 Industry's) but ill like to see what that do for there next installment. Expand
  8. j06
    Nov 17, 2012
    This game does it all! real voice acting and actors check it's just fun the campaign is pretty long (9-10 hours max) and it has a great story plus multiplayer PLUS i have an excuse to drink moutain dew and eat doritos while playing a kick a== game heck YEAH!!
  9. Jan 1, 2013
    Halo 4 is a real disappointment compared to the past. The final duel is horrible and lacking in originality. The single players has too many small arenas of multiplayer. Pitched battles in open places are ridiculous compared to the past. The campaign is too short. For Halo 5 343 should be guided by planetside 2, the real Halo 4 of this generation imho. If Halo 5 will like Halo 4, then I do not buy it. Expand
  10. Nov 9, 2012
    This game is flat out amazing!! Well everybody has there own opinion, i cannot see why it is getting a 5.7 from user reviews. The graphics are amazing especially for it being on very old hardware, game play is so smooth, the MP is addicting as hell, voice acting flawless!! THE SOUND!!! every weapon has been re-done!! Amazing! There are a few issues with servers and such but im sure that will be all sorted out. If you like FPS and MP and a great story get this game! Expand
  11. Nov 11, 2012
    Great game improves on every aspect of previous game the graphics, dialogue, mechanics etc. New enemies are fun to fight. However, I am not the fondest of the new flood mode with the overpowered zombies but there is so much more overall 9.5
  12. Nov 9, 2012
    I am disappointed. I was a big , fan of halo 1,2 and 3 ( over 70 days of play time on halo 3 ) but this halo is not something that fit with the quality of the trilogy. I will start with SP. The story last 4 hours in normal ( short as f*** for a 60 $ games ) and is not ''punchy''' like others halo. A very linear environment with nothing special and some really similar objective make the campaign something that do not worth it. For the MP , this game should be called DMR 4 instead of Halo 4. The dmr is the only DECENT gun in the whole multiplayer. It just feel like a halo reach V 2 , even more crappy. I will sell this waste of time and stick to halo 3 instead , who still a decent and interesting game. Halo 4 do not deserve the name HALO. Expand
  13. Nov 17, 2012
    Halo is back. The multiplayer is fantastic that is welcoming after that awful taste that Reach left. everything feels super balanced, the new class set up does not mess up halo. The only complaints I have for multiplayer are the armor abilities are back and perks. The single player wasn't there best or there worst, but is still entertaining. Spartan ops is uninteresting and I will most likely not play anymore of it. Wish they brought in firefight, the ODST one, not the reach one. Expand
  14. Dec 15, 2012
    There are very few games these days that change a genre, that provide new light and inspire everyone in the gaming industry, halo 4... ISN'T one of those games. It's sad that since halo 3 the halo series has become another generic yearly sequel, much like the previously excellent Assassins creed series and Call of Duty. I used to enjoy Xbox, this reminds me of how much I despise it now. I seriously thought this would be a change, all the reviewers were saying so. Of course not. Are we PS3 "fanboys" [I think you mean PLAYERS] envious? Of course not! I've just been down my electronic store and sold my Xbox. I used to like both, but this game proves how much money these people at microsoft get! Spoiler alert, the ending is another halo 2 ending! It's about as well made as
    Cortana: Oh no what are you gonna do chief?
    Cheif: I'll kill them all... tomorrow. Halo 5 comes out september 20th 2013 while stocks last.
    I don't understand why people would enjoy this game, especially with the convoluted canon! Also the fans are evil but it's not exactly 343's fault. Overall:

Graphics 9.0 One of the few things this game gets right.

Story 4.9
    Brilliant... if you read the entire wiki. Gameplay: 2.7 Generic at the best of times, downright awful at the worst.
  15. Nov 7, 2012
    I'm not sure where all the hate is coming from on this one. This is obviously a love letter to the franchise and a promise to the fans that the future of this series is a bright one. I haven't felt the same sense of wonderment about Halo since Halo 2 came out. I couldn't be more pleased with the changes and additions to multiplayer. I was a fan of COD Modern Warfare, but I didn't care for the follow-ups. This game is the best of both worlds: a faster paced more balanced Halo experience coupled with a solid feeling of progression. The story is by far the most personal this series has ever seen, and the graphics are fantastic considering the aged platform they were produced for. Do yourself a favor, try the game for yourself before you trust those who're giving it a low score. I find it hard to believe you could come away disappointed from this game. Expand
  16. Nov 6, 2012
    I think this game is really good. The graphics are amazing and the gameplay is just wonderful! Ignore the awful user reviews, they are just COD fans who love spending £30 or more on the same game.
  17. Nov 7, 2012
    To make it clear - Before all the trolls got on here to ruin its score, Halo 4 was on a user score of 8; So that's the actual rating, not the bastardised one that's on here now. Diablo didn't deserve to be slated like that and neither does Halo 4 - It's a very good game wether you like the changes or not. The biggest improvement over the other games for me is the inclusion of sprinting for everyone - I can't believe it wasn't included in the first place. The random weapon locations and ordinance drops help to spice-up the multiplayer and only an idiot would complain about load-outs.

Graphics: 9 (In terms of technical achievement, it's a 10 but the Cov look a little cartoonish)
    Sound: 10
    Gameplay: 9
    Multiplayer: 10
    Story: (Going to leave out as haven't finished the single player)

Basically: If you play games for the same reason I do (because they PLAY well and they're fun) then it's a great game, very slick, well put-together and playable.
  18. Nov 7, 2012
    I got my hands on the game and to start with everything impressed me, the controls felt really tight and the gameplay was fun and the element that I was up against the unknown really got my heart going, it was intense, then about half an hour into the game I noticed things not really building up to the same levels as the start, it all felt a bit bland and boring but not to say it's not fun because it is. I think the hype got the better of me and I expected a 10/10 game and got a 6/10 game which is still considered "good" but not exactly great.

The graphics well... look at them, it's stunning and very vibrant. I knew they had put in lots of effort into the graphics because the animations were smooth apart from a few bits and pieces where the screen tears but other than that the visuals and graphics are top notch.

The game play well that's the thing that let me down the most, I do like the tight controls but the story and just how the story is handled is not that good. I really felt a bit let down after the first hour of playing. Hope it gets better but initial impressions are not good.

Multiplayer, not played it yet but fully intend on getting the most out of it, watched a friend playing it and it looks fun but won't judge it before I play it.
  19. Nov 16, 2012
    Halo 4 has given back something to me, that has been lost with Halo Reach. When I think of Halo, I think of a whole package - Competitive multiplayer, an interesting Campaign, and something innovative.

The Campaign was about an 8/10. It took a different approach to the regular storytelling that Halo is known for, and generally performed pretty well. But I would have enjoyed a longer
    campaign, along with a few extra things that I don't want to spoil.

The multiplayer I give an 8/10. 343 Did really great to reverse some of the Reach damage. It took out bloom, brought back the BR, and also gives us some pretty nice default maps. From a casual standpoint, I have a load of fun in BTB with ordnance drops and my friends. From a competitive standpoint, I really enjoy a few of the maps on Pro, but it loses points due to no default "real" competitive playlist, and no trueskill system.

Now with innovation, they really hit the mark with Spartan Ops. I am not a huge fan of it personally, but it really is a great step forward to combine all elements of the game into one. Verdict: A really great game, highly recommended for veterans of the franchise, and newcomers alike.

Highest Pro: The multiplayer is much more refined and higher quality this title.
    Highest Con: Lack of depth in the multiplayer matches, tied with a short campaign.
  20. Nov 6, 2012
    This is truly a great game, the other reviews somehow are saying it has pro but are still giving it bad reviews. Sure it has cons, but I feel the graphics and just overall fun make up for this. Oh and probably half the people who are rating are COD fans.
  21. Nov 6, 2012
    This game is absolutely stunning visually. There are simply no game that compares by far. This is mainly due to the light engine and the amazing artwork. Campaign and story is great, by far the best in the Halo series. Multiplayer is "ok", even though i think they are adapting too many CoD "gimmicks", but by taking into account that they are implementing the ranking system from Halo 3 (which reach lacked) i am very positive about the future of Halo 4. All in all an amazing game worthy of the Halo name. Expand
  22. Dec 30, 2012
    The Single-player took a great turn for 343 Industries, but the Multi-player is lacking a lot (Bolt shot is overpowered, most guns are basically shooting peas at the thing you're pointing at). Halo was suppose to be a good balance between Grenade, Melee, and Weapons. But 343 just throws that out the window and says "Hey, lets make the most unfair, most hated multi-player ever. That'll sure show those people expecting a good game." I actually think Call of Duty has a better multi-player than Halo 4, and that says a lot. Expand
  23. Nov 9, 2012
    This is a decent game. If you've never played any Halo games, or are a Call of Duty fan, go ahead and pick this up. However; if you're a Halo fan and you haven't bought this yet, DON'T DO IT. I was very excited to see 343 pick up where Bungie left off, hoping they could add their own flavor and fun to it. There are a few new features that are cool: the aesthetics of the game are great, the shield perk and the jetstrafe perk are pretty cool, the ability to make your hologram teabag is downright genius, players can join games in progress, custom armor is pretty cool. These features, though, do not outweigh the negatives that this game brings. Firstly: Cortana, what the hell? Previously, she was a likable character who was smart and sometimes would provide useful info or witty remarks. She is now a stereotypical damsel in distress who looks like a naked 14 year-old girl. Secondly, the campaign is very generic. It was cool to go to a new planet with a new enemy, but those enemies are incredibly BORING. I played on Legendary, and you literally just shoot, hide, repeat against the enemies. They aim well and hit hard, but have no tactical reasoning and they seem to be leashed to about 100ft of their spawn. Lastly, and worst of all, is the multiplayer. I hoped and hoped and hoped that the game would not turn into Call of Duty: Spartans, but it did. I don't mind borrowing good elements from other games, but 343 brought in what seems like EVERY Call of Duty element they could. 'Press X to respawn instantly,' 'Here's a killstreak drop,' 'Here's a kill-cam,' 'Here are some perks,' 'Spawn with any weapon you want,' 'Here's a killcam,' 'Here's lots of QTEs in campaign.' Multiplayer has no sense of balance with all the perks, ordinance drops (which are weapon/overshield drops rewarded after a random number of kills). There are no longer weapon spawns across the map, just 2-3 'weapon nodes' which spawn random power weapons intermittently.
    I was really looking forward to 343 taking their own spin on Halo, but the sad reality is that it's just a CoD clone in a Halo disguise. I'll say it again: this is not a bad game, but I can only give it a 5 because, to me personally, it took the Halo series too far in the WRONG direction. As much as it saddens me, I'll probably take it back for a refund today.
  24. Nov 7, 2012
    Just an Awesome game! Graphics are beyond what I expected for an Xbox title. Single-player has a gripping storyline and co-op play is expanded. Love it!
  25. Nov 15, 2012
    i see the haters/call of duty fanboys have rated this game as low as possible. what a bunch of morons. this game is great and way better than Call of Duty.
  26. MrR
    Nov 9, 2012
    Wow. I am blown away by Halo 4. The campaign is brilliant, an amazing continuation of the series. I worried about how 343 would handle this game, as Halo 2 and 3 by Bungie were my go-to games for years when I was younger. But I have no more worries for the future of this series. Halo 4 is the multiplayer fps I have been waiting for. While there seem to be a few backtracks, almost everything has advanced and been polished to a tee. Gameplay is smooth and feels natural, but still has all the creativity and fun expected from a Halo game. The visuals and sounds are phenomenal, though I miss Marty's epic tunes. Forge has been perfected and will provide re playability for years to come. All in all, I am blown away by Halo 4. I haven't been playing console FPS's very much for the last few years, but I am having trouble putting this one down. Well done 343i.

There are a few things I miss from earlier Halo games that have been removed or changed, but all in all this is a huge step forward and Halo 4 blows other Xbox FPS's out of the water. 10/10
  27. Nov 7, 2012
    Halo 4 may very well be the best Halo ever, probably the best game of 2012. This game never disappoints. From better-than-before multiplayer , an amazing campaign, great gameplay and an epic soundtrack. Do yourselves a favor and buy this game. PS: Don't listen to the trolls. They're idiots.
  28. Nov 6, 2012
    It may not be revolutionary, but what else can you do in a first person shooter? I work in the video game industry and, let me to you, developers are looking desperately for new ideas. People hate games for changing what isn't broken and for keeping things the same. You tell me, where would you begin to change things to satisfy both these desires? Halo Combat Evolved will always be the best Halo because it felt fresh, among other things. I also think the AI, at least enemy AI, was the best in Combat Evolved in comparison to other Halos. Halo 4, however, is definitely worthy of the Halo title. Still, I am upset that firefight doesn't make a return. That's the only reason why I refuse to give this game a ten. Expand
  29. Nov 6, 2012
    Honestly this is the best Halo game in the series as far as campaign and multiplayer. The graphics are probably the best available on the 360. All the negative reviews are CoD players who want **** games. Seriously, you can't buy a game JUST for multiplayer. Everything about this game is amazing. When you buy an FPS thats what you get! The story was amazing, if all you care about is multiplayer go play CoD, Halo is for serious people who are over the age of 13. Expand
  30. Nov 6, 2012
    So disappointed. I've gotten used to higher quality, INNOVATIVE shooters. This might as well be Halo: run around; shoot; scavenge; do it again. Zero innovation. The AI is appaling. I can't count the number of times I've shot an enemy in the back without sneaking. Yes, the production values are high: great visuals and audio (possibly bar-setting). But, it fails on every other level.
  31. Nov 6, 2012
    343 Industries have basically taken COD4 and put all the elements in Halo 4 that make multiplayer unbalanced and unfair. The introduction of perks and loadouts means that any online skill is practically thrown out the door because there will always be a higher level with a better suited weapon/perk. The pace at which you die is completely unsuited to Halo, where 3 headshots with an individual weapon means that once you're shot at first, there is no coming back. The storyline is similar to that of a dodgy Mass Effect 1 makeshift, introducing a main villain, also the story revolves around an AI that no one ever really cared about. On the other hand, the graphics have been improved, evident in the amazing backgrounds of the campaign. Also it must be said that the campaign itself, aside from the story, is actually pretty entertaining and easily up there with Halo 3. Expand
  32. Nov 6, 2012
    My son and I took the day off to play co-op through story like we have with every other Halo game. We loved every second of it. It's not only the most technically impressive Halo to date, it's also the most emotional. If you're a Halo fan, you will not be disappointed.
  33. Nov 7, 2012
    Quite simply one of the best experiences I've ever had with a game. Halo 4's Graphics are mind-boggingly good. It actually made me Wonder how they did it! Sound is also stellar - With Rich, strong sound effects (With the exception of the Warthog, which sounds like a lawnmower).
    But what really takes this ten notches above any Halo game is the voice acting, script and cut-scene integration
    into the game. 343 Industries - you rock! Can't wait for Halo 5! :D Expand
  34. Nov 7, 2012
    i smiled from ear to ear when i first saw master chief appear on screen,its been a long time since any of us have taken control of our armor clad hero, in a new game of course and by our hero i mean halo fans.that being said this game delivers in the visual,sound and story department.the game has been criticized for the gameplay not changeing much,maybe quick time events is something that doesnt belong in a halo game.i can somewhat agree with that but the game is still fast paced as ever.343 has done a valiant effort and judgeing by what i have played so far they have poured a lot of hard work in to this game.if you have played this game in a small screen with tiny speakers your doing yourself and the game an injustice.the visuals are stunning and unlike anything ever seen on the 360.the guns have never sounded this good NEVER.this game is no doubt going to be geting title updates with added features,thus improveing the replayability.you want gigantic boss battles,well youll just have to wait for the next installment on nextgen xbox.make no mistake this is a worthy entry in the halo saga. Expand
  35. Nov 7, 2012
    amazing. The best HALO ever made. I wonder wgy people are complaing for inovation. The game is beatiful, the art is superb, the gameplay is great as always and the graphics are amazing!
  36. Nov 7, 2012
    The campaign is too short and too plain. Should be the best part in the whole game.
    The multiplayer lacks fun playlists and Infinity Slayer is bad. Also, there is a lot of lag in multiplayer. A lot.
    The design is ugly, sound and visuals. There are a lot of bugs still waiting to be patched.
    Overall, good job on ruining Halo, 343.
  37. Nov 7, 2012
    I had very high expectations for this game and those expectations successfully met. This is the best FPS I have played in years! I very much recommend this game to everyone.
  38. Nov 7, 2012
    The games stunning visuals and amazing sound effects along with the compelling story really does bring back that amazing feeling that playing as the Chief in Halo 3 had. The game continues the story wonderfully and creates a stronger bond between Cortana and Chief than ever before. Halo is back, and it's better than ever!
  39. Jan 31, 2013
    Now, when I reviewed this game a while back, around when it first came out, I thought the game was absolutely AMAZING! The online play was incredibly addicting, the campaign and plot were gripping, and the first chapter of Spartan Ops wasn't half bad. I also loved the forge maps. However, as time went on and the buzz died down, the faults with this game revealed themselves. While the campaign hadn't turned entirely sour, when compared to past Halo campaigns, it pales in comparison. I just felt the scope of the story was forced. However, I did enjoy the more human side of Master Chief coming to the forefront, particularly his relationship with his AI companion, Cortana. The online gameplay, which at first had been fantastic, had begun to drag on. After reaching level 50 or so, I just didn't feel compelled to play any longer. The Spartan Ops and Custom Games however were probably the biggest disappointment of the game. Despite being impressed with the first chapter, the more there were, the more I started to despise them. They used recycled maps over and over, and the missions were not challenging nor was the storyline compelling. When it comes to Custom Games, I was obsessed with these things back in the glory days of Halo 3. People came up with the most creative games despite the Forge engine being flawed. Many players of Halo 3, myself included, played the Custom Games more than the online competitive multiplayer. However, despite being advertised as the best new Forge maps, many of the maps were simply too small to be able to create anything fun. The only exception was Impact, which had some replayability, but was still surpassed by Halo 3 classics such as Foundry and Sandbox. Overall, Halo 4 is a great game for anyone to pick up and play, but is still the least entertaining of the Halo Saga. Expand
  40. Nov 7, 2012
    I gave this game a solid 9 because I felt like it has pushed the series in a new direction that is unique in it's own right. It is hard for people to accept change sometimes, but I feel like the changes that were made in this game were good ones in all aspects. Sure there were some things I didn't like, but for the most part it is a very well rounded game. One of the things however that I didn't like was the kill cam when you die, it just isn't Halo in that regard and I'm actually really surprised that they put something like that in there. The campaign was a bit short but oh man was it beautiful and well done, the scenery is just beyond fantastic and I'm really impressed at how they were able to pull it off on such an old console. I remember them saying they pulled off a lot of technical trickery to be able to have such beautiful graphics, boy were they right. When Halo 5 is released on the new consoles I can only imagine what it will look like with 343 working on it, it's going to be unreal. The multiplayer is very well done, I really like the new game modes and maps, and can't wait for the new maps to come as well. Overall just an outstanding game that many will love to keep playing until the next Halo, until then have fun and take the game with a grain of salt (competitively anyways). Expand
  41. Nov 8, 2012
    This was my most expected game of the year. i got the prequel book, the action figure, i went to the midnight launch, the works.

However, i was extremely disapointed when i finally got a chance to play the game. I live in a spanish speaking country, and was dismayed to find out that the version being sold only comes with spanish dubbed audio. The dub has several problems, including the
    fact that the lip syncing is horrible, but overall the most disapointing thing is the lack of choice, which, for me, renders the game unplayable, as i have played all other Halos in the original language, and refuse to submit to an inferior product.

I'm sure the game is great, but i am forced to give it a poor score due to this decision by 343 and Microsoft.
  42. Nov 8, 2012
    Like a few others, I signed up to create this review for such an amazing game.I don't understand the hate against the game, but we all have our opinions. I think that this game is one of the best fps games that has been produced this year. It has good framerate for a game that looks amazing for an Xbox game, it allows old weapons that we haven't seen since Halo 3 AND other weapons, has an episodic co-op experience that 343i will add to weekly like Red Dead Redemption's mission pack, introduces the Prometheans (A new enemy), somehow perfectly brings back the Covenant and the UNSC to tie in with the story, and the multiplayer is just so unique compared to the other ones. Halo hasn't "stolen" anything from other games, it simply innovates from the mistakes of other games by allowing a perk system that isn't too overpowered like CoD. Also, Halo 4 adds a lot more for the huge Halo storyline fans (like myself) who actually like to look at the story behind the entire Halo universe. I don't really know why anyone would give it anything below a 6, but we all have our own ways of looking at things. I hope this review will attract anyone that looks through the game reviews, because this is the truth. Halo 4 is a marvelous game that contends with other games for GoTY. Expand
  43. Nov 9, 2012
    This is a phenomenal game. I write this review on behalf of me, as an adult and others I know. the graphics are smooth and gorgeous, great art and landscapes. Clever AI, multiplayer dynamic is good, well rounded. supporting media is amazing and really enhances the whole experience. a must buy. don't play campaign on normal or a setting that is too easy - it detracts from the struggle of the story.
  44. Nov 9, 2012
    Halo 4 is incredible and allows great gamers to be great again in the highly competitive multiplayer. You can once again exploit the maps nooks and crannies and gain full advantage with skill alone against droves of people. The guns hit hard, multiplayer is incredibly fun, and the campaign delivers a whole new set of enemies. Why switch up game play and dynamics that are already leaps and bounds above all other 1st person shooter's? Excluding Gears of War, all 1st person shooters have been trying to catch up to Halo 1 and no one has come close even 10 years later. Expand
  45. Nov 10, 2012
    After Reach, I had all but lost faith in Halo and it's apparent new COD clone direction. Halo didn't need to do this, it has a fanboy like following and vets that have played since CE enjoy Halo for it's pure multiplayer which entails skill not cheap tactics. Changing it to a concerted mess of perks and armour abilities (a la CoD) was driving the Halo community away, myself included. Now comes Halo 4 and 343 industries have taken the reigns to create a new Halo trilogy following on from Bungie's original. Now for the most part, H4 rectifies the wrongs of Reach and returns SOME of the classic Halo we know and love, but sadly there is still too much inspiration drawn from Call of Duty. If I wanted CoD I would buy the originators of the Cod formula not transgress to a game that is trying to imitate it. The inclusion of the classic BR along with the DMR is nice and creates a sense of who's better in a firefight. The sprint button is also a welcome addition when you consider how archaic H3 felt without it. However armour abilities/ordnance drops and the new SAW gun are over powered, cheap and again as I've reiterated before too similar to Cods unbalanced MP. Despite these flaws MP can still be fun, especially when playing in bare bones modes like Slayer Pro (which is more like classic halo) and modes such as flood can be a relief from competitive game types. The game is in need of Team SWAT, MLG and team doubles but I'm confident these will appear in due course. In terms of single player this game is typical Halo, Sci-Fi movie esque which does a great job telling a story and the dynamic between Master Chief and Cortana and is possibly the most deep and intriguing story to date for the Halo franchise. It's again best shared co-operatively, especially if you attempt Legendary, the only gripe being it is relatively short coming in anywhere between 4-7 hours. Finally as many have said and will experience for themselves, this game is gorgeous, with sprawling lush landscapes and character facial models bettered only by LA Noire. Expand
  46. Nov 10, 2012
    This is a GREAT game. It has everything that makes halo so good and honestly, who doesn't want that? From the music, to the story, to the great action. With everything improved, it somehow becomes even better. With multiple options like the spectacular and surprising campaign, spartan-ops, forge, and the new and improved multilayer. Better than I thought it would be. It's good to have you back Master Chief. Expand
  47. Nov 18, 2012
    My scores up to this point for reference follow: Halo 1 - 10 Halo 2 - 8 Halo 3 - 9 Halo ODST - 7 Halo Reach - 8 Halo Anniversary - 7 (lots of flaws the original didn't have, and artistic direction was just awkward) Halo 4 - 10 This is the single best Halo experience I have ever had. It may not be as revolutionary compared to what had come before it as Halo 1 (how could it be?) but it is the most fun I have had at Halo, the most enthralled I have been at Halo, and the most passionate I have been about it.

On to the grit.

Graphics: The graphics are beautiful. The artistic design is delightful, the character designs border on the inspired. In certain moments, these are the best in game graphics I have ever seen on the system, in others though, graphical artifacting and glitching mar the experience. Misloaded textures take away from the experience and suspend disbelief. These may be the fault of my aging system (same box I have owned since the month of launch), but regardless of where the fault lies, It damages an otherwise flawless visible presentation.

Sound - The sound library is improved in several ways, with the gun, grenade, and terrain sounds all minorly boosted. The biggest aspect of sound, and by far the most notable, is the change of musical direction. I'll be honest, I wish they could have retained the composers from the original, because they help identify the world, even in the face of Bungie's departure. That said, the songs are beautiful, and capture the feel of the game very well. Gone are the days of the music track defining the level, and it is replaced by music that helps focus the environment. While the raw talent may not be as high now as it was, the skill with which each level has its song composed and matched, is superior.

Balance - Gun balance is the most important part of Halo's overall balance in design, for me. And this game wins in a big way. Everything is useful here. The Assault Rifle has finally figured out its balance. It being the default gun for most missions over the course of the game finally makes sense in story, as the gun is ridiculously useful for mid and close range engagement, an does not fully lose itself in long range. The pulse rifle, which was overpowered in campaign, is gone as is the terrible Reach equivalent, and in its place we find a far better balanced weapon in the storm rifle. The storm rifle is getting a lot of flack online as terrible, but it is because people do not understand it. This gun is probably the single best support weapon in the game, when used along with your allies' battle rifles and DMRs. All of the new [race redacted to avoid spoilers] weapons find their balance, except the boltshot which would be perfectly functional if it had its magazine size doubled but finds itself hampered by its required reload. The new grenade balance has boosted the game, with the frag grenade more lethal but with a smaller area of effect. The new pulse grenade is getting a lot of hate online, but as an area denial tool, and against vehicles it is very useful. If you have the grenade skills and timing you can also kill a fully charged enemy with a single shot. Overall, the balance functions to lessen the domination of the br/dmr, and open up better representation for the close support, as well as the true long distance, weapons. Grenade play is vastly improved in my opinion and heavily rewards precision, the pistol has finally found its balance, and all that is left is the sniper rifle. I am disappointed with the sniper rifle, as it retains all of its benefits from past versions and picks up far greater 'shoot from the hip' precision, making open-shot sniper rifle dominant when it shouldn't be. Hopefully they address this in a future patch by returning the imprecision to open sight shot with the sniper rifle.

Emotional affect - I cared more about this campaign than I have cared about anything but 3, and I care about the two main characters more than I ever have. Brilliant success. The script writing is better, the acting is better, the emotion conveyed to the voice is better. Heartbreaking, and 'real'. I cannot overstate how much impact the story had compared to everything else out there. This game shows the fullest potential of what video games should be, in every area but social conscience, and as a philosophic journey, I think it outpaces Bioshock in its final question.

AI - This is the best AI in the history of the game. Organic AI is improved, and the new race has the best AI I have ever played against. Pathfinding is sometimes predictable, and could benefit from more randomization.

Glitches - A few graphical glitches mar the experience. One or two sound glitches threw me off, Cortana whispering more quietly than the background music at one point was bad. Wall artifacting at one point. Nothing game-ruining.

Overall - Arguably the best game I have ever played on the xbox. At the very least in my top 5.
  48. Nov 11, 2012
    At first I didn't really like the game but after playing for many hours and days, I LOVE IT. The campaign was fantastic and is an emotional roller-coaster. The story between Cortana and Master Chief is told very well and IMO this campaign is one of the best in the Halo series. The graphics and sound effects are AMAZING and for a game that runs at 30fps this game is SMOOTH. The enemies in this game are smart, clever and very well done. They actually have a mind of their own and don't run and hide like in previous halo games. Voice acting and the sound tracks for Halo are outstanding. The Multiplayer PLAYS AND FEELS LIKE HALO unlike halo reach (which I hated IMO ) Everything is perfectly balanced this time. The level design is very good and the maps are all well thought-out. The armor abilities and the weapon drops give a fresh new look to Halo 4 and makes the game fell less repetitive compared to previous Halo games. If you like old school Halo then there is a special playlist called Team slayer pro which removes all armor abilities and weapon drops and makes the game just like Halo 3. However, since I am giving a fair review there are SOME things which I really didn't like in this game. The respawns in multiplayer aren't as bad as COD but they get quite annoying and i always end up being spawned in front of a warthog and then being run over immediately. I was also hoping that the campaign could have been a bit longer since it is only 6 hours on normal difficulty. Other than those reasons, this game is VERY GOOD and I highly recommend it. No game is perfect :) Expand
  49. Nov 12, 2012
    Undoubtedly the best Halo title yet, and the first to make major changes to the multiplayer game dynamic. The campaign is graphically spectacular, with the increasing rampancy of Cortana a very engaging plot device. The Flood are thankfully absent, the Prometheans are awesome, there are some excellent set pieces, and a great spaceship level made it a memorable experience. It does have its flaws though. As all FPS campaigns it is almost insultingly short, taking around 7 hours on normal. The game also struggles to tell the story as each level progress, and while the cut scenes are glorious they skimp on details. My biggest issue was the final boss fight, which was a clumsy quick time event and made for a very unsatisfying conclusion. However, overall it was an enjoyable romp as any Halo campaign should be. Spartan Ops is an interesting edition, good fun with friends or alone. Free episodic story content is a really innovative idea and should give the game a longer life expectancy. I have high hopes for it. The main gameplay changes come in multiplayer. Borrowing from the call of duty games, you now have loadouts. Unlike COD however, these do not spoil the game for new players, as they are more to do with personal preference than raw power. Heavy weapons no longer have spawn points on the maps, but instead are dropped/teleported into random locations than then appear on everyone Expand
  50. Nov 12, 2012
    Finally Halo is back! Only FPS that actually involves skill. You can shoot me first but if you are not better I will win the battle 9 out of 10 times.
  51. Nov 12, 2012
    The negative comments are so silly. I went out and bought a xbox 360 primarily just to play this game and it was definitely worth it. The campaign storyline is great and I felt connected with the characters. The addition of all these new weapons was really nice. The game is challenging if you play it on heroic or legendary mode but very rewarding. I honestly can't complain about much, if I had to i'd say the campaign was short. 6 hours, 3 minutes, and 30 seconds for me on heroic mode and I died a lot! Still, the campaign was solid. I like the addition of spartan ops but I hope 343 adds some more interesting levels for it soon. If you have an xbox 360 there should be no questions of whether or not to buy this game! Expand
  52. Nov 12, 2012
    Best Halo campaign I've played in a long time. Greatest graphics in the series and the most emotional story line I've seen since the Gears of War series. The music, while not Marty's, definitely fits the Halo universe. 343i definitely did this franchise some good!! Love the multiplayer too, new and a step up from Reach's unbalanced mess.
  53. Nov 13, 2012
    It's more of the same, but why is that a bad thing?? Halo 4 is large a bowl of ice cream. Absolutely delicious. I want more! I can't wait to see what they'll add for halo 5!
  54. Nov 13, 2012
    The game is completely boring. The singleplayer is simply not fun at all, the multiplayer is dull and the mechanics can be seen in pretty much any other shooter out there.
  55. Nov 13, 2012
    i can't say anymore than this is an amazing game. the Campaign is STELLAR and i cant say anything else because of spoilers and finally halo has really great graphics the first time i go out of darkness of requiem into sunlight it was the same feeling of being on halo for the first time.

Multiplayer is SO FUN and even though its diffrent its still halo :)
  56. Nov 13, 2012
    First off I am a long time halo fan and I actually wasn't going to buy it after hearing some interviews with the designers. Reviews started pouring in and it got me excited enough to pick it up. Long story short, if your a halo fan or a fan of sci fi you will probably like this.

The music while not as epic or memorable as Marty o Donnels scores still easily surpass almost all other
    games. It is a welcome change of tone for me and feels like it could be right at home in a mass effect game, also a big fan of the mass effect music. If you have ever seen the movie Sunshine, 28 days later, or snatch which the soundtracks for those were all done by a guy named John Murphy. It feels like his style mixed with some mass effect. Which again are great because im a big fan of all this. So enough about the music, I loved it.

The gameplay is what you'd exspect from halo and if you are a fan of the others than you will feel right at home with this one.

The storyline is great minus 2 chapters which didn't serve any purpose but as filler. There's 2 chase scenes and they both are very glitchy but they are over quickly and don't ruin the experience.

I did have a problem unlocking a avatar award but after I cleared my cache and tied again it popped the second time. Not a big deal but when I am useto bungies extremely high quality little touches like that make it apparent that bungie had nothing to do with this. Great game, not the best but better than most.

Ohh and no swat in matchmaking? WTF?
  57. Nov 13, 2012
    The Best. from being a very avid player of the series. i'm glad they incorporated a lot from the books. a good example would be the relationship between the didact and librarian. It seems that 343i has been doing research on the story. the best part would be the graphics overall since Halo has never seen the daylight of true 1080p Resolution . OVERALL It Is AMAZING. Bungie. the legendary corporation that made Halo handed over there baby to another company no one has ever heard of and improved it beyond reason. Must get? Yes. and it's a must try for any. good investment Expand
  58. Nov 13, 2012
    Wow. I'm surprised. I was not expecting it to be this good. When 343 took over I can't lie I was little curious on if they were the right people to take it over, and if it is even worth continuing the Halo series without Bungie. But after Halo 4 I'm sold and completely convinced. For starters the story was amazing. Going more personal with Master Chief and Cortana was very clever, since it's not something I thought about before about them two having this relationship. Plus the voice acting was very, very good. The most shocking I think though is the sound and graphics. I mean wow. They blew me away. Those departments really nailed it. I truly thought the first cut scene was live action for a good minute. And the guns now sound powerful as if you are really firing that gun. Now the multiplayer. Still fun as always. I'm glad they added some of the nowaday modern shooter features that have been popular like loadouts, and sprinting as not just an armor ability. I think 343 used the features to the perfect extent. They made it so it did not feel too much like other shooters and still as the Halo we love. Obviously there is a lot of hate for the loadouts and sprint comparing it to COD, but I don't think 343 had much of choice. It's what people has come to except nowadays in shooters, and it's the first time Halo is really changing their multiplayer format and hey, I welcome the change. And if I were to compare it to anything, I would compare it to the Battlefield series more, especially when playing big team battle. Overall the games amazing, and it's a must play. Of course it's not perfect, but with 2 more games left, they are sure to hit that mark. Expand
  59. Nov 13, 2012
    Halo 4 is a great game. It's my favorite Halo campaign and its multiplayer is much than Reach's online. The graphics and sound are spectacular and very innovative. This game pushes the Xbox 360 to its graphical limit and it show very well. This game is most certainly worth your money especially if you're a fan of the other halo games. And for all you reach haters like myself, no armor lock :)
  60. Nov 14, 2012
    Halo 4 is another great addition to our collection. But it fails on multiplayer. Even though everything else is enjoyable I mostly prefer the multiplayer i think it gives soul to the game.
  61. Nov 14, 2012
    The Halo franchise is in good hands. 343 industries did what many thought it could not be done, make a Halo game that surpasses in many areas what Bungie created with Combat Evolved. The art style is amazing, pushing a 7 year old machine to produce incredible vistas that are accompanied by an amazing sound design. As great as it sounds I really think they played it too safe. Some different gameplay scenarios that did not involve pushing a button or shooting everything in sight would have been welcomed. Still, a great campaign, the addictive as ever multiplayer and the spartan ops cooperative missions make this a must play for anyone. Expand
  62. Nov 14, 2012
    The graphics are amazing, I'm surprised they could have such beautiful graphics on a 7 year-old console.The campaign wasn't too long, it was a decent length, but it was truly beautiful with an amazing story. Spartan ops is neat but suffers from major lag when played online. The multiplayer adds in some ways additions to make it like COD, but it is kind of a good thing. They've made changes to keep Halo fresh and the game is Extremely fun. Expand
  63. Nov 14, 2012
    Hands down the game of the year. Phenomenal graphics, fun and easy to grasp gameplay and sharp new visual design, yet it is absolutely Halo.

Hail to the Chief
  64. Nov 17, 2012
    This is a great game, but it is not perfect. First, the cons. The weakest part of this game is the campaign. Although I liked the fact that they are trying to change things up, the story is confusing. I own, and have beaten, all of the previous FPS Halo games. 343 Industries put terminals in the game that you have to find to understand the story properly. Unfortunately, they are not easy to find, so you end up being a little confused about the story plot. Also, you end up either doing "three things" to beat a certain area, or beat a bunch of enemies down a long corridor, hallway, or trench. The level design could have been fleshed out more. The Spartan Ops, are a nice addition, but consist of "kill bad guys, move forward, beat bad guys, and move forward." Some of them are fun, but not at the cost of replacing Firefight. Now the pros. Graphically, this is the best looking game on the 360. The opening cinematic is jaw-dropping. I was amazed that this was a 360 game. The sound is AMAZING. Generally you expect a game to have good sound design. I've never had a game have such good weapon sounds, that it made me feel like it was real. 343 Industries did a masterful job with the weapon sounds. Also, the music is new and refreshing. Some complain that they didn't use the old music. I don't. It sounds appropriate, and has wonderful tracks. Multiplayer. Multiplayer is refined and, unlike previous Halo iterations, fast-paced. Some, again, complain about the change. Halo needed a shot in the arm, and 343i handled it splendidly. I think the only thing I want is more maps, which will be coming down the pipes in a few months. All in all, this is a great new Halo. I think 343i did a wonderful job, will tweak some of the mechanics, and make Halo 5 perfect. Expand
  65. Nov 15, 2012
    343 has managed to bring back the huge scale and epic feeling of Halo 2. They have also managed to make some modern multilayer tweaks to pander to gamers who need innovation and change with new games to make them worth buying. Halo 3 didn't have enough new elements, while Reach had too many and was unbalanced. Here they have managed to strike a good balance between old and new, with how the game feels and the added running, abilities etc. Some would say they are making it like Call of Duty but I would say they are showing a little humility and just taking the best (and most obvious) elements from other popular and successful modern shooters and building on their core gameplay with them. It's still hard to say why I have a 'Halo 2' vibe from this, but I do.

I'm halfway through the campaign and I'm only level 24 on multi player, but I can already tell I will continue to play for months to come. Fighting the covenant still feels largely the same with the mediocre a.i and same vehicles, but the new Promethean race feels fresh. They are challenging to fight and not mindless like the flood. Multiplayer maps feel instantly better than Reach. They are well designed. They're don't seem to be a lot of them, but Haven among others already feel like instant classics with awesome site lines to explore. This takes cues from all Halo games and builds on them. It's exciting that this is the first game in a new trilogy. When they start doing something really innovative with the match making and have MMO elements included like trading, interplanetary travel etc. I will give it a ten. Nine for now. The real chief is back.
  66. Nov 30, 2012
    Honestly one of the best Halo games yet. The only things i don't really like is that the Prometheans are crazy powerful and the DMR is also CRAZY POWERFUL
  67. Nov 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Halo 4 is a good game in my opinion, although many do not seem very good, but to me, this is one of the best in the series. The story is very compelling from start to finish, with an introduction you see Dr. Catherine Halsey talking about the Spartans. It then shows that reactive Cortana Master Chief to see who made ​​contact, was the Covenant that apparently were at war with humans again. Then they arrived to Requiem, known the Didact, the antagonist of the game. In the end, he dies, and what surprised most is the death of Cortana, very tragic. The game has excellent graphics, good gameplay, good multiplayer. In conclusion, a great game. Expand
  68. Nov 16, 2012
    The plot can be a bit confusing but the cutscenes are generally well executed, though the levels can be a bit repetitive, especially the grind of fighting Prometheans. Tying the new campaign to other events such as the Flood was well done and made this feel like a Halo game. On top of this free weekly updates with a few story elements thrown in can't be complained about in the era of pre-release DLC. Multiplayer can be a bit hectic, though every starting weapon is well balanced for its role (AR for close etc.) and as it should, comes down to skill of the user to be able to win a duel. Some of the weapons don't feel like their tried and true precursors, an example being the rocket launcher, though the pace of combat is consistent with the franchise's history. Overall a good investment, and seems to have a good play life, just as a Halo game should. Expand
  69. Nov 17, 2012
    Halo 4 is an enjoyable experience everyone should take part in.

Campaign. 8 missions of good times. Don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it's definitely worth playing all the way through. More action scenes from the Chief's POV make it seem like you're doing it. Only complaint is Chief talks more in this installment.

Multiplayer. Insane. The maps are balanced and quite
    enjoyable. You can now have loadouts, meaning you can choose to start with an automatic or precision rifle from UNSC, Covenant, or Forerunner. Different armor abilities and perks make multiple possibilities so you can play Halo the way you want to.

Spartan Ops. Short, little missions you can play solo or with a friend. Only complaint is it's too easy as you have infinite lives, even on solo legendary. Luckily, 343 Industries is releasing new episodes which each contain 5 more missions.

Customization is better here than in Reach. You can change helmets, torso, shoulders, forearms, legs, and visor. Completing different challenges nets you a different variant of most of the armor so you can choose your favorite design. 343 Industries, you did an amazing job with Halo 4 and I'll be patiently waiting for the next installment.
  70. Nov 17, 2012
    Thought it would be a flop, 100%, best game since Halo 2. Brought the series back to life after the total disappointment of Reach, and no Halo games could ever be as good as the first two. Good job.
  71. Nov 19, 2012
    This game in my opinion is the best in the series. Keep in mind I thought Reach was a downgrade from Halo 2 and 3. There are huge improvements with weapons, graphics, sounds, story line in campaign, and level set up. 10/10 no doubt.
  72. Nov 20, 2012
    Halo your doing it right. What a fantastic game!!! The best graphics in a console FPS period. Killzone 2 looked just as amazing, just lacked COLOR. A story mode that finaly lives up to Halo: CE!!! Don't think about it just BUY IT. The thing I love about Halo is you pay for what you get unlike COD. Halo always changes and isn't the same game every year. Halo does share a lot of elements with COD now. But it still feels like Halo thank god. Expand
  73. Nov 20, 2012
    OK, this is my honest review on the game and I believe it is great! Anyone that believes that they copied Call of Duty outright hasn't played the game. Sure, some features were in CoD first, but some features in CoD were taken from Halo. This is what games do, take ideas from other games and improve on them, which Halo has done. Halo 4 is faster paced than the previous games, with instant respawns in some features, and contains custom loadouts. These loadouts are not in any way truly affected by rank. First of all, it takes 1 War Games Match to go from SR1 to SR2 (SR is the ranking system). At SR2, you can purchase either the DMR or the BR, the two best loadout weapons. If you want a Carbine or Lightrifle for PERSONAL preference, then you have to wait a bit. I prefer the Lightrifle because of its dual functionality, but it isnt BETTER to say the least. All the weapons have their range. Of course a DMR will beat an Assault rifle from a distance. But Assault Rifles will destroy DMR at close range. YOU need to get into position to get the kills, so stop complaining about OP weapons. And there are no "Prestiges" like someone else said, and Amour Abilities are not OP either. Neither are Tactical or Support upgrades. They make small changes for PERSONAL preference. So all in all, Halo 4 has a balanced multi-player.
    The campaign is short but very good. The levels are fun and exciting. So if you have 60$, buy this game NOW!
  74. Nov 20, 2012
    This game is excellent. Singleplayer: The story is lacklustre (but has real potential for sequels) and those flying things are a pain in this ass. Those two minor gripes aside, I loved the new campaign! Spartan Ops: It's revolutionary. It keeps the story going, offers great co-op content, and is a fun alternative to previous Firefight modes. Multiplayer: I love it. It seems like the majority of problems people have with it stem from the game being different than Halo 2. Since I never played much Halo 2, this isn't a problem for me! It brings modern standards to Halo, and keep it fun and exciting. However, I wish there wasn't so much overlap between different guns. I rarely find myself switching from the DMR to any other weapon. Expand
  75. Nov 21, 2012
    this game is amazing? no, it can't be defined with words how great this is... a masterpiece, mindblowing, 10 of 10 , a classic that your childs will have to play. I am from old scholl gaming, and this is so amazing like mario, zelda and lara croft! it's even better than that
  76. Nov 21, 2012
    There are lots of set pieces in this game that make you giddy with excitement at the new ideas. The Mantis combat walker, the Mammoth 6 wheeled sandcrawler type vehicle. Lots of neat ideas. They did a good job of revising the franchise.

Then there are other parts of the game that make you want to beat your head against the wall in frustration. It is hard sometimes to see where you
    are supposed to go next and you just kind of have to search your way around.

Good story though and great graphics and gameplay otherwise. If you are a fan of Halo it is a must buy, if you are not a fan, then it might be a pass for you.
  77. Sep 8, 2013
    Halo 4 is a game that exceeded my expectations. It's campaign is an example of quality over quantity, with story telling will draw you in right from the beginning. The opening cut scene blew me away and the first mission introduced me to the dark and beautiful level design which became so distinctive to this game. Solid gameplay was a given, it doesn't feel entirely like Halo, it feels more like how Halo should have been. A Sci-Fi shooter set in a sophisticated and thrilling universe. A huge but balanced selection human and alien weaponry finely compliments it's brilliant pacing. The games graphical achievements were an unexpected surprise, considering the fact that I've never been impressed by a Halo games graphics before. This is due to crazy technical achievement that truly pushes the now ancient hardware to it's limits. With incredible set piece after set piece, this game isn't just a cut above its predecessors but one of the greatest visual achievements this console generation. Sound design, as expected is top notch. The weapons have very distinctive sounds, although there are some hiccups such as the the warthog sounding far too aggressive, Halo's sound design is overall a joy to listen too. The games soundtrack had some pretty big boots to fill. While it simply does not fill those boots, it does a great job in setting Halo 4 apart from the original games by giving it a drastically different approach. The electronic sound that dominates the majority of the game is dark and menacing which is great but it doesn't hold the same emotional value that previous Halo titles massive scores did. Negatives to do with the game's campaign include minor issues such as the annoyances with pressing multiple switches. While the game play does a good job of being diverse, this feels like a lazy way to proceed through levels and makes it feel slightly tedious at times. But the big issue is that the game deserved a proper finale, the opening to the final mission was to me, one of the standout sections in the entire series (even giving The Maw's warthog escape a run for it's money). As the level proceeded I was almost certain a climatic ending would be the icing on the cake. Instead it finished abruptly, and felt very underwhelming. I personally feel that Halo 4 should have been just one mission longer, enough to give the game the ending it deserved.

As for the multiplayer, it's simply not as good as Halo 3. The formula has been drastically changed and although 343 have received a lot of flack for it, I understand their dilemma. Halo has long passed it's prime as far as multiplayer is concerned and the best 343 can do is try to keep up with the times without forgetting the games roots. That's probably even more difficult than it sounds. Although the multiplayer doesn't feel like classic Halo, even if it did it still wouldn't see half of Halo 3's success.

Overall I give this game an 8/10. A lot of the games elements truly feel like they've paid homage to the original (and in my opinion best) Halo, and in some areas it comfortably surpasses the original trilogy. It all just feels a little too late, Halo 4's merits will never truly be recognised as the franchise has already overstayed it's welcome.. And there's still a lot more to come!
  78. Dec 3, 2012
    There is a lot of positive stuff about this game but what really irritates me is this : WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY GOLD TO PLAY SPARTAN OPS OFFLINE!?! This mentality at M$ earns this game a 1/10. It's outright disgusting. Costco will be taking my game back. I am not paying 60 $ to HAVE to pay another membership just to play OFFLINE! If I want to play online I can do it for free on my PS3 or play for XBL Gold... but now you guys are going to start charging for play Spartan Ops offline?!? I MEAN WHAT THE HELL??? It's not like this mode was not playable solo or local splitscreen... it is! If you start requesting Gold for this there is no end to your greed. Keep your video game. If I want to play it I'll wait for a price drop I am not paying full price to be ripped like this. Gosh even MW2 and MW3 special ops were all playable splitscreen... Black Ops can even have local splitscreen / LAN matches!?! Seriously shame on you Micro$oft and 343. Expand
  79. Nov 28, 2012
    (the halo 4 story was satisfying IMO, this review is more centered on the multiplayer)

I Love halo, and also enjoy cod on many occasions. These games should be kept separate; converging their features don't make you gain both audiences. 343 said when asked about implemented COD features "Yea we want more of the market share of players, that's the major reason for the change." This game
    should probably receive around an 8-9, but for a halo game, it deserves a 6, plain and simple. I am a huge fan/player of halo 2, 3 and reach online. Halo 4 fails in my opinion to retain its uniqueness of the halo series. I actually enjoyed the fact that sprint was not inherent in previous halo's, IMO this is a core game mechanic that should have been retained. While the Cod mechanics don't technically make for a bad game, they do drastically change the way the game plays. I am surprised to see so many 9's and 10's from halo fans, I would have thought the changes toward COD would yield 7's and 8's at most. I didn't want ANOTHER Cod, I wanted another Halo. Expand
  80. Dec 1, 2012
    Congratulations to 343i Studios for creating such a masterpiece of gaming. Through my personal playing of all the aspects of Halo 4, I have only encountered a few minor glitches, that literally have done nothing to slow me down.
    Looking at Halo 4, you would be hard pressed to believe this isn't a next-gen title, as the graphics are utterly stunning, and demonstrate what a talented team of
    developers can do with outdated technology. 343i's emphasis on story and personal connections in Halo 4 comes shining through with a deep, emotional rollercoaster that will have you sitting on the edge of your seat through most of the game. From the absolutely stunning beginning, all the way through to the mind-blowing ending, Halo 4 keeps you wanting more and more.
    Not to be outdone by the incredible campaign, the multiplayer emerges as the best in the entire series. The use of ordinance drops and new game modes makes for an entertaining and balanced competitive multiplayer scene. Meanwhile, Spartan ops delivers a fresh and compelling entry into the series. The use of CG scenes to lay the foundation for the impressive firefight-based missions adds to the overall story based experience 343i wanted to deliver. As always, Forge represents the continuing advancement of player generated content, allowing for an unrivaled creation mode. This review truly doesn't do Halo 4 justice, and the only advice I can truly offer at this point is, go out and try it. You won't be disappointed.
  81. Dec 3, 2012
    This game's campaign is amazing, just like every other game in the Halo series. However the multiplayer really lacks anything new, there are weapon balancing issues, and there are only 10 maps playable at launch, only 4 of which are playable in Team Slayer (the most popular game type of the series). It kind of feels like they left out maps on purpose so that you would be more inclined to purchase their map packs. Expand
  82. Dec 16, 2012
    this game present the best graphics in Xbox 360, the campaign is short but is very amazing, takes the good things the previous Halo is the best halo since Halo CE. This game is essential in any collection of a user of XBox 360
  83. Dec 18, 2012
    Overall 343 did an amazing job at Halo 4.
    Now over a month after release and after I have spent several dozen of hours I can quite well say that I really like this game. The campaign is a little short but still provides a great and enjoyable experience. Haven
  84. Jan 4, 2013
    I've been a fan of HALO since the very first game (Still own every copy of it). HALO was the very first game i played on my old XBOX. And I fell in love with the game. And I've always looked forward to the next HALO game (except REACH, that game was meh)

I'm a huge fan of everything HALO, and I have to say I am NOT disappointed with HALO 4. It is everything I hoped for and more. The
    sounds/audio is amazing. And the voice acting is superb. Graphics are great for a Console Game. The plot/story is just how I imagined it would be after hours of speculation after Halo 3. And the forerunners look just great.

They did change the sound of several weapons and in my honest opinion. A lot of the sound even better now, and more ear-gasm-ing sounding. You know, they sound epic.

Level design is good, I love the environments and I found myself spending a lot of time looking around at different things. Love the attention to detail.

343 has done a great job, and I admit I was scared they would butcher the series. But they have not. They have give HALO new life, and I hope they will give me many more hours of fun to come.

Spartan Ops is a great addition to the game, I found it to be fun to play, especially with friends.

I did play a little of the Mutliplayer Aspect in HALO 3 and HALO REACH but I never got into it that much. I enjoyed it but it wasn't for me I suppose. But for those worried HALO 4's multiplayer is going to be vastly different. Fear not, it still feels like the good old HALO multiplayer. and it's even more fun now! I love it!

This is the first time I've really been playing HALO's multiplayer aspect and loving it A LOT. I never hated it, I liked it in the past. But it just didn't click for me that much. It does now. It feels just like I guess HALO 3 and REACH. But better, different. But in a good way. (No, it's not simplified. I still get my ass kicked as always) But I don't know. It feels like there's less BS with connections and such now. It runs more smoothly. I did spend a good couple of 100 hours playing REACH Multiplayer sure, I did enjoy it but it wasn't my thing for a while. I found it hard to get into. I suppose now that I know how it works, it was easier for me to get into HALO 4's multiplayer.

Either way, if you're a true HALO fan, you are going to love the campaign and the multiplayer.
  85. Dec 21, 2012
    Terrible. 343 killed Halo. Buy Halo 3 instead.
    If you are a long time Halo fan, you will hate this. It is just a casual noob fest that has been made too much like call of duty. They have removed all competitive elements and ruined the classic halo gameplay.
  86. Dec 27, 2012
    Great multiplayer even if you're a beginner. The campaign was way too repetitive where virtually every task was to go from point A to point B so you can do this (aka press a button)
  87. Jan 1, 2013
    Amazing game i mean cortanas pretty much naked and the gameplay is at its peak graphics are at its peak real flood and bigger maps more destructive combat.
  88. Jan 6, 2013
    Amazing game! The graphics upgrade that 343 has done on this game is simply outstanding. The new campaign was entertaining and I really enjoyed it. The new Spartan Ops feature is great (New missions with cut scenes done in seasons). At first I was disappointed 343 removed Firefight, but have enjoyed Spartan Ops much more now anyway. The multiplayer is as tight as ever and tons of new weapons and abilities and to the package. This game has broken all my expectations and is my favorite Halo game ever. Expand
  89. Jan 17, 2013
    Playing halo 4 is like reliving the first time I played the original! The campaign is great the interaction between chief and cortana is engrossing to say the least. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous I spent a lot of time just looking around! The multiplayer is like I said earlier a great throw back with few tweaks thrown in. I think any Xbox owner should have this in there collection
  90. Jan 24, 2013
    As a longtime Halo fan, Halo 4 was an excellent addition to the franchise. 343i did a great job taking over for Bungie. The campaign was very well done with an excellent story that actually made you feel more for the characters. The gunplay and levels were all very Halo-esque. I was a little disappointed with the Promethean enemies simply because, while different than the covenant, you can deal with them in similar ways. For example, the Flood in previous Halo games required far different tactics...shotty helped made sure they stayed dead, you could remove limbs, and each "possessed" species behaved differently (i.e. flood humans vs. flood elites). With the Prometheans, you still just pump rounds into them until their shields go down, then you put a few more in until they're dead. The watchers and crawlers add some interesting interplay but aren't handled much differently. The multiplayer in Halo 4 is some of the best yet. Although they pretty much lifted the perks from Call of Duty, it's done very well with a Halo feel. I wish they would have taken it a step further and allowed you to customize your weapon as well. It would be cool to take the light rifle, for example, and make it your own. All in all, an excellent game and certainly a must-buy for any fan of the Halo franchise. Expand
  91. Jan 31, 2013
    Instead of trying to "reinvent" Halo maybe 343 Industries should focus on original content. Every change they have made to the gameplay mechanics has been done before and some of them detract from the idea that Halo was a competitive shooter.

I'm giving it a two because I've seen this game before. It wasn't in the future, but it was the same.
  92. Feb 16, 2013
    Halo 4 does little to help the franchise, whilst the game itself is enjoyable in the single player mode, the multiplayer is ruined. Halo reach's multiplayer was unique and fun, making gamemodes fun and fair, Halo 4 on the other hand feel too much like the fast paced multiplayer of a call of duty game. Halo reach had you work as a team in most gamemode, searching for weapon around the various maps that were different in their own way, not all of them taken from the campaign and having maps made by the developers themselves, Halo 4 has none of that, there is no heart to this game, 343 Industries has ruined the multiplayer. Forge mode is not much better, there is NO massive open world sandbox, just a collection of small, cramped and just down right badly made maps to be creative in, it saddens me to say this but Halo is now on a slippery slope down hill, unless 343 changes these problems, Halo will be like Call of Duty, old, senseless and just basically a bad game. Expand
  93. Feb 17, 2013
    Halo 4 as a game isn't exactly what I was expecting from the series, with a poor campaign that doesn't stand up to the previous 3. Graphics are incredible, I will say, better than any of the previous games. Multiplayer gameplay is dominated by the DMR, an overpowered weapon that has no downsides, the Boltshot, a pistol that doubles as a shotgun, and grenade spam, players enjoy picking the same maps over and over until they don't have that choice anymore, and this gets very boring, very fast. Overall, the game isn't worthy of the title of Halo, maybe Call of Spartan 4 would have been a better title, because it seems like they attempted to CoDify it as much as possible without completely changing the game, speeding up gameplay wherever they could, sacrificing quality in many cases. Spartan ops, as an honorable mention, is disappointing and boring, recycled maps and stale gameplay make for a dull gameplay experience that doesn't cut it. Expand
  94. Mar 20, 2013
    Good game. From a gamers perspective, the game was shipped before it was complete. Understandably though as the game needed to be sold that early in order to get a high amount of sales. The campaign is fun but short. Great graphics for a console. The multiplayer is ok. The randomness of all the power weapons gets annoying after a while and makes it hard to keep playing. Spartan Ops was fun if you had friends to play with. The first 5 episodes all feel the same. Even using a lot of maps multiple times. Other than challenges to increase your SR rank (which means nothing) there is no real reason to go back and play spartan ops after you've done it. 8/10, fun game but gets boring after you've tried everything. Expand
  95. Mar 21, 2013
    Now I had high hopes for Halo 4. But these hopes were shot down when I was playing the Campaign. The enemy's are defiantly not as smart as people say them to be, and the missions are usually very bland and boring. After beating the game on Normal it then attempted to say me into buying Xbox Live so I can keep playing Halo 4. Now I don't play on the Xbox Live so the multiplayer was out of the question. Once I beat the main game, I went to the Infinity lobby to try Spartan Ops only to be shot down and slapped in the face by another wall blocking my way to more Halo 4. That wall was a few sentences that said "Xbox Live Gold membership and permission to play online required for Spartan Ops". I immediately turned off my console after that. I went back into the game however a few months later and played the campaign again. It was fun, but afterwards I check my custom created Spartan. I got nothing for playing the campaign. Absolutely nothing except for a helmet for my Avatar. Heck the game didn't even say what difficulty I completed the game on. In my personal opinion Halo 4 could have been a great game, but was shot down by the Xbox Live requirements. You need Xbox Live to look at over 80% of the games content. I'm sorry to say it, but 343 has really ruined Halo for me. Expand
  96. Mar 26, 2013
    Wow. That's how you would sum up Halo 4 in one word. Great story, addicting multiplayer,and great ending. Probably the only complaint would be the DMR being over powered. But if playing everything else in the game you won't care. Please if you're a halo fan stop reading this review and buy this game. You won't be disappointed.
  97. Apr 22, 2013
    Halo 4 is definately the best exclusive game on the xbox 360 and thats no easy feat. the single player campaign is pretty good, i dont hink as good as halo 2 or 3 but a good start to a new trillogy staring the one and only master chief. the graphics in the game are quite amazing with lighting that is the true showcase for the game. halo has finnaly come out on top with the graphics are concerned compaired to cod of battlefield. the controls have been tweeked yet again from halo reach where u can now run by default which is very nice and overall i think the contols are quite tight. they did replace the firefight game mode with a new mode called spartan ops which is a nice addition as it has a story in it that goes beyond the campaign as well as letting you use your own spartan. but what really shines is the multiplayer which as been the case for as long as halo has been around. the new perk and armor abilities really spice it up and make the game stand on its own as far as fps games go. the maps both on the cd and dlc are amazing as well with some sure classics in the group such as haven and complex. if you are a halo fan, fps fan, multiplayer fan, or just want a good game this is where it is at. i have over 5 days put into the multiplayer alone. dont think about it just buy it. nuff said. Expand
  98. Apr 23, 2013
    The ending. Enough said. Halo 4 was saved by the incredibly emotional ending. MP is usual Halo so no real problems there. The game is overall probably the weakest Halo game in terms of varied gameplay, however the ending is so strong that it makes it quite memorable.
  99. May 2, 2013
    "Halo 4: the epic start of the reclaimer saga" I'm thinking they have lost their zest throughout the games. its a good game, don't get me wrong, but the campaign is a little to repetitive, and (for once) Master Cheif seems a little under powered. That, or the enemies are over powered. I recall having to do the same thing over and over again, multiple times. Kind of defeated the purpose of a FPS game: to kill the enemies and then move! however, multiplayer is great! They often add new game types and the suit customization is great! the specializations aren't anything special, and you need to be something around lvl. 60 (i think) to unlock them. Spartan ops are fun, but, like the campaign, get boring after a little while.

I would also recommend CoD games (even though you probably already have them)
  100. May 11, 2013
    Possibly one of the best games i have ever played!
    Should be much higher than 6.9