6.9

1. Nov 10, 2012
    Before I get trolled by all those fan-boys let me make it clear I'm not a Sony fan-boy or a COD fan-boy. I'm Xbox through and through but...

As much as I enjoy this game - I'm now becoming bored. The campaign is nice enough but the multi-player is just the same as previous Halos but with polished graphics and slightly more class customisation. But after all these years they've not

As much as I enjoy this game - I'm now becoming bored.

But after all these years they've not added anything "special" to the multi-player. It's still very slow to get into matches and there are glitches that keep ending multi-player matches before they finish.
    There's a very limited weapons choice. The perks are one-dimensional. The armour is just for show - there's no concept of trading off heavy armour against speed and agility.
    There's no building damage (like BF3)

Maybe the problem with this game is that they spend so much time, effort and money on the campaign that they don't have much to offer the multi-player other than a graphics polish.

This game needs to evolve.
  2. Nov 10, 2012
    This is a GREAT game. It has everything that makes halo so good and honestly, who doesn't want that? From the music, to the story, to the great action. With everything improved, it somehow becomes even better. With multiple options like the spectacular and surprising campaign, spartan-ops, forge, and the new and improved multilayer. Better than I thought it would be. It's good to have youThis is a GREAT game. It has everything that makes halo so good and honestly, who doesn't want that? From the music, to the story, to the great action. With everything improved, it somehow becomes even better. With multiple options like the spectacular and surprising campaign, spartan-ops, forge, and the new and improved multilayer. Better than I thought it would be. It's good to have you back Master Chief. Expand
  3. Nov 18, 2012
    My scores up to this point for reference follow:

Halo 1 - 10 Halo 2 - 8 Halo 3 - 9 Halo ODST - 7 Halo Reach - 8 Halo Anniversary - 7 (lots of flaws the original didn't have, and artistic direction was just awkward) Halo 4 - 10 This is the single best Halo experience I have ever had. It may not be as revolutionary compared to what had come before it as Halo 1 (how could it be?)
    My scores up to this point for reference follow:

Halo 1 - 10
    Halo 2 - 8
    Halo 3 - 9
    Halo ODST - 7
    Halo Reach - 8
    Halo 4 - 10

This is the single best Halo experience I have ever had. It may not be as revolutionary compared to what had come before it as Halo 1 (how could it be?) but it is the most fun I have had at Halo, the most enthralled I have been at Halo, and the most passionate I have been about it.

On to the grit.

Graphics: The graphics are beautiful. The artistic design is delightful, the character designs border on the inspired. In certain moments, these are the best in game graphics I have ever seen on the system, in others though, graphical artifacting and glitching mar the experience. Misloaded textures take away from the experience and suspend disbelief. These may be the fault of my aging system (same box I have owned since the month of launch), but regardless of where the fault lies, It damages an otherwise flawless visible presentation.

Sound - The sound library is improved in several ways, with the gun, grenade, and terrain sounds all minorly boosted. The biggest aspect of sound, and by far the most notable, is the change of musical direction. I'll be honest, I wish they could have retained the composers from the original, because they help identify the world, even in the face of Bungie's departure. That said, the songs are beautiful, and capture the feel of the game very well. Gone are the days of the music track defining the level, and it is replaced by music that helps focus the environment. While the raw talent may not be as high now as it was, the skill with which each level has its song composed and matched, is superior.

Balance - Gun balance is the most important part of Halo's overall balance in design, for me. And this game wins in a big way. Everything is useful here. The Assault Rifle has finally figured out its balance. It being the default gun for most missions over the course of the game finally makes sense in story, as the gun is ridiculously useful for mid and close range engagement, an does not fully lose itself in long range. The pulse rifle, which was overpowered in campaign, is gone as is the terrible Reach equivalent, and in its place we find a far better balanced weapon in the storm rifle. The storm rifle is getting a lot of flack online as terrible, but it is because people do not understand it. This gun is probably the single best support weapon in the game, when used along with your allies' battle rifles and DMRs. All of the new [race redacted to avoid spoilers] weapons find their balance, except the boltshot which would be perfectly functional if it had its magazine size doubled but finds itself hampered by its required reload. The new grenade balance has boosted the game, with the frag grenade more lethal but with a smaller area of effect. The new pulse grenade is getting a lot of hate online, but as an area denial tool, and against vehicles it is very useful. If you have the grenade skills and timing you can also kill a fully charged enemy with a single shot. Overall, the balance functions to lessen the domination of the br/dmr, and open up better representation for the close support, as well as the true long distance, weapons. Grenade play is vastly improved in my opinion and heavily rewards precision, the pistol has finally found its balance, and all that is left is the sniper rifle. I am disappointed with the sniper rifle, as it retains all of its benefits from past versions and picks up far greater 'shoot from the hip' precision, making open-shot sniper rifle dominant when it shouldn't be. Hopefully they address this in a future patch by returning the imprecision to open sight shot with the sniper rifle.

Emotional affect - I cared more about this campaign than I have cared about anything but 3, and I care about the two main characters more than I ever have. Brilliant success. The script writing is better, the acting is better, the emotion conveyed to the voice is better. Heartbreaking, and 'real'. I cannot overstate how much impact the story had compared to everything else out there. This game shows the fullest potential of what video games should be, in every area but social conscience, and as a philosophic journey, I think it outpaces Bioshock in its final question.

AI - This is the best AI in the history of the game. Organic AI is improved, and the new race has the best AI I have ever played against. Pathfinding is sometimes predictable, and could benefit from more randomization.

Glitches - A few graphical glitches mar the experience. One or two sound glitches threw me off, Cortana whispering more quietly than the background music at one point was bad. Wall artifacting at one point. Nothing game-ruining.

Overall - Arguably the best game I have ever played on the xbox. At the very least in my top 5.
  4. Nov 11, 2012
    At first I didn't really like the game but after playing for many hours and days, I LOVE IT. The campaign was fantastic and is an emotional roller-coaster. The story between Cortana and Master Chief is told very well and IMO this campaign is one of the best in the Halo series. The graphics and sound effects are AMAZING and for a game that runs at 30fps this game is SMOOTH. The enemies inAt first I didn't really like the game but after playing for many hours and days, I LOVE IT. The campaign was fantastic and is an emotional roller-coaster. The story between Cortana and Master Chief is told very well and IMO this campaign is one of the best in the Halo series. The graphics and sound effects are AMAZING and for a game that runs at 30fps this game is SMOOTH. The enemies in this game are smart, clever and very well done. They actually have a mind of their own and don't run and hide like in previous halo games. Voice acting and the sound tracks for Halo are outstanding. The Multiplayer PLAYS AND FEELS LIKE HALO unlike halo reach (which I hated IMO ) Everything is perfectly balanced this time. The level design is very good and the maps are all well thought-out. The armor abilities and the weapon drops give a fresh new look to Halo 4 and makes the game fell less repetitive compared to previous Halo games. If you like old school Halo then there is a special playlist called Team slayer pro which removes all armor abilities and weapon drops and makes the game just like Halo 3. However, since I am giving a fair review there are SOME things which I really didn't like in this game. The respawns in multiplayer aren't as bad as COD but they get quite annoying and i always end up being spawned in front of a warthog and then being run over immediately. I was also hoping that the campaign could have been a bit longer since it is only 6 hours on normal difficulty. Other than those reasons, this game is VERY GOOD and I highly recommend it. No game is perfect :) Expand
  5. Nov 12, 2012
    Undoubtedly the best Halo title yet, and the first to make major changes to the multiplayer game dynamic. The campaign is graphically spectacular, with the increasing rampancy of Cortana a very engaging plot device. The Flood are thankfully absent, the Prometheans are awesome, there are some excellent set pieces, and a great spaceship level made it a memorable experience. It does have itsUndoubtedly the best Halo title yet, and the first to make major changes to the multiplayer game dynamic. The campaign is graphically spectacular, with the increasing rampancy of Cortana a very engaging plot device. The Flood are thankfully absent, the Prometheans are awesome, there are some excellent set pieces, and a great spaceship level made it a memorable experience. It does have its flaws though. As all FPS campaigns it is almost insultingly short, taking around 7 hours on normal. The game also struggles to tell the story as each level progress, and while the cut scenes are glorious they skimp on details. My biggest issue was the final boss fight, which was a clumsy quick time event and made for a very unsatisfying conclusion. However, overall it was an enjoyable romp as any Halo campaign should be. Spartan Ops is an interesting edition, good fun with friends or alone. Free episodic story content is a really innovative idea and should give the game a longer life expectancy. I have high hopes for it. The main gameplay changes come in multiplayer. Borrowing from the call of duty games, you now have loadouts. Unlike COD however, these do not spoil the game for new players, as they are more to do with personal preference than raw power. Heavy weapons no longer have spawn points on the maps, but instead are dropped/teleported into random locations than then appear on everyone Expand
  6. Nov 12, 2012
    Finally Halo is back! Only FPS that actually involves skill. You can shoot me first but if you are not better I will win the battle 9 out of 10 times.
  7. Nov 12, 2012
    The negative comments are so silly. I went out and bought a xbox 360 primarily just to play this game and it was definitely worth it. The campaign storyline is great and I felt connected with the characters. The addition of all these new weapons was really nice. The game is challenging if you play it on heroic or legendary mode but very rewarding. I honestly can't complain about much, if IThe negative comments are so silly. I went out and bought a xbox 360 primarily just to play this game and it was definitely worth it. The campaign storyline is great and I felt connected with the characters. The addition of all these new weapons was really nice. The game is challenging if you play it on heroic or legendary mode but very rewarding. I honestly can't complain about much, if I had to i'd say the campaign was short. 6 hours, 3 minutes, and 30 seconds for me on heroic mode and I died a lot! Still, the campaign was solid. I like the addition of spartan ops but I hope 343 adds some more interesting levels for it soon. If you have an xbox 360 there should be no questions of whether or not to buy this game! Expand
  8. Nov 12, 2012
    Best Halo campaign I've played in a long time. Greatest graphics in the series and the most emotional story line I've seen since the Gears of War series. The music, while not Marty's, definitely fits the Halo universe. 343i definitely did this franchise some good!! Love the multiplayer too, new and a step up from Reach's unbalanced mess.
  9. Nov 13, 2012
    It's more of the same, but why is that a bad thing?? Halo 4 is large a bowl of ice cream. Absolutely delicious. I want more! I can't wait to see what they'll add for halo 5!
  10. Nov 13, 2012
    The game is completely boring. The singleplayer is simply not fun at all, the multiplayer is dull and the mechanics can be seen in pretty much any other shooter out there.
  11. Nov 13, 2012
    i can't say anymore than this is an amazing game. the Campaign is STELLAR and i cant say anything else because of spoilers and finally halo has really great graphics the first time i go out of darkness of requiem into sunlight it was the same feeling of being on halo for the first time.

Multiplayer is SO FUN and even though its diffrent its still halo :)
  12. Nov 13, 2012
    First off I am a long time halo fan and I actually wasn't going to buy it after hearing some interviews with the designers. Reviews started pouring in and it got me excited enough to pick it up. Long story short, if your a halo fan or a fan of sci fi you will probably like this.

The music while not as epic or memorable as Marty o Donnels scores still easily surpass almost all other games. It is a welcome change of tone for me and feels like it could be right at home in a mass effect game, also a big fan of the mass effect music. If you have ever seen the movie Sunshine, 28 days later, or snatch which the soundtracks for those were all done by a guy named John Murphy. It feels like his style mixed with some mass effect. Which again are great because im a big fan of all this. So enough about the music, I loved it.

The gameplay is what you'd exspect from halo and if you are a fan of the others than you will feel right at home with this one.

The storyline is great minus 2 chapters which didn't serve any purpose but as filler. There's 2 chase scenes and they both are very glitchy but they are over quickly and don't ruin the experience.

I did have a problem unlocking a avatar award but after I cleared my cache and tied again it popped the second time. Not a big deal but when I am useto bungies extremely high quality little touches like that make it apparent that bungie had nothing to do with this. Great game, not the best but better than most.

Ohh and no swat in matchmaking? WTF?
  13. Nov 13, 2012
    The Best. from being a very avid player of the series. i'm glad they incorporated a lot from the books. a good example would be the relationship between the didact and librarian. It seems that 343i has been doing research on the story. the best part would be the graphics overall since Halo has never seen the daylight of true 1080p Resolution . OVERALL It Is AMAZING. Bungie. the legendaryThe Best. from being a very avid player of the series. i'm glad they incorporated a lot from the books. a good example would be the relationship between the didact and librarian. It seems that 343i has been doing research on the story. the best part would be the graphics overall since Halo has never seen the daylight of true 1080p Resolution . OVERALL It Is AMAZING. Bungie. the legendary corporation that made Halo handed over there baby to another company no one has ever heard of and improved it beyond reason. Must get? Yes. and it's a must try for any. good investment Expand
  14. Nov 13, 2012
    Wow. I'm surprised. I was not expecting it to be this good. When 343 took over I can't lie I was little curious on if they were the right people to take it over, and if it is even worth continuing the Halo series without Bungie. But after Halo 4 I'm sold and completely convinced. For starters the story was amazing. Going more personal with Master Chief and Cortana was very clever, sinceWow. I'm surprised. I was not expecting it to be this good. When 343 took over I can't lie I was little curious on if they were the right people to take it over, and if it is even worth continuing the Halo series without Bungie. But after Halo 4 I'm sold and completely convinced. For starters the story was amazing. Going more personal with Master Chief and Cortana was very clever, since it's not something I thought about before about them two having this relationship. Plus the voice acting was very, very good. The most shocking I think though is the sound and graphics. I mean wow. They blew me away. Those departments really nailed it. I truly thought the first cut scene was live action for a good minute. And the guns now sound powerful as if you are really firing that gun. Now the multiplayer. Still fun as always. I'm glad they added some of the nowaday modern shooter features that have been popular like loadouts, and sprinting as not just an armor ability. I think 343 used the features to the perfect extent. They made it so it did not feel too much like other shooters and still as the Halo we love. Obviously there is a lot of hate for the loadouts and sprint comparing it to COD, but I don't think 343 had much of choice. It's what people has come to except nowadays in shooters, and it's the first time Halo is really changing their multiplayer format and hey, I welcome the change. And if I were to compare it to anything, I would compare it to the Battlefield series more, especially when playing big team battle. Overall the games amazing, and it's a must play. Of course it's not perfect, but with 2 more games left, they are sure to hit that mark. Expand
  15. Nov 13, 2012
    Halo 4 is a great game. It's my favorite Halo campaign and its multiplayer is much than Reach's online. The graphics and sound are spectacular and very innovative. This game pushes the Xbox 360 to its graphical limit and it show very well. This game is most certainly worth your money especially if you're a fan of the other halo games. And for all you reach haters like myself, no armor lock :)
  16. Nov 14, 2012
    Halo 4 is another great addition to our collection. But it fails on multiplayer. Even though everything else is enjoyable I mostly prefer the multiplayer i think it gives soul to the game.
  17. Nov 14, 2012
    The Halo franchise is in good hands. 343 industries did what many thought it could not be done, make a Halo game that surpasses in many areas what Bungie created with Combat Evolved. The art style is amazing, pushing a 7 year old machine to produce incredible vistas that are accompanied by an amazing sound design. As great as it sounds I really think they played it too safe. Some differentThe Halo franchise is in good hands. 343 industries did what many thought it could not be done, make a Halo game that surpasses in many areas what Bungie created with Combat Evolved. The art style is amazing, pushing a 7 year old machine to produce incredible vistas that are accompanied by an amazing sound design. As great as it sounds I really think they played it too safe. Some different gameplay scenarios that did not involve pushing a button or shooting everything in sight would have been welcomed. Still, a great campaign, the addictive as ever multiplayer and the spartan ops cooperative missions make this a must play for anyone. Expand
  18. Nov 14, 2012
    The graphics are amazing, I'm surprised they could have such beautiful graphics on a 7 year-old console.The campaign wasn't too long, it was a decent length, but it was truly beautiful with an amazing story. Spartan ops is neat but suffers from major lag when played online. The multiplayer adds in some ways additions to make it like COD, but it is kind of a good thing. They've made changesThe graphics are amazing, I'm surprised they could have such beautiful graphics on a 7 year-old console.The campaign wasn't too long, it was a decent length, but it was truly beautiful with an amazing story. Spartan ops is neat but suffers from major lag when played online. The multiplayer adds in some ways additions to make it like COD, but it is kind of a good thing. They've made changes to keep Halo fresh and the game is Extremely fun. Expand
  19. Nov 14, 2012
    Hands down the game of the year. Phenomenal graphics, fun and easy to grasp gameplay and sharp new visual design, yet it is absolutely Halo.

Hail to the Chief
  20. Nov 15, 2012
    343 has managed to bring back the huge scale and epic feeling of Halo 2. They have also managed to make some modern multilayer tweaks to pander to gamers who need innovation and change with new games to make them worth buying. Halo 3 didn't have enough new elements, while Reach had too many and was unbalanced. Here they have managed to strike a good balance between old and new, with how343 has managed to bring back the huge scale and epic feeling of Halo 2. They have also managed to make some modern multilayer tweaks to pander to gamers who need innovation and change with new games to make them worth buying. Halo 3 didn't have enough new elements, while Reach had too many and was unbalanced. Here they have managed to strike a good balance between old and new, with how the game feels and the added running, abilities etc. Some would say they are making it like Call of Duty but I would say they are showing a little humility and just taking the best (and most obvious) elements from other popular and successful modern shooters and building on their core gameplay with them. It's still hard to say why I have a 'Halo 2' vibe from this, but I do.

I'm halfway through the campaign and I'm only level 24 on multi player, but I can already tell I will continue to play for months to come. Fighting the covenant still feels largely the same with the mediocre a.i and same vehicles, but the new Promethean race feels fresh. They are challenging to fight and not mindless like the flood. Multiplayer maps feel instantly better than Reach. They are well designed. They're don't seem to be a lot of them, but Haven among others already feel like instant classics with awesome site lines to explore. This takes cues from all Halo games and builds on them. It's exciting that this is the first game in a new trilogy. When they start doing something really innovative with the match making and have MMO elements included like trading, interplanetary travel etc. I will give it a ten. Nine for now. The real chief is back.
  21. Nov 30, 2012
    Honestly one of the best Halo games yet. The only things i don't really like is that the Prometheans are crazy powerful and the DMR is also CRAZY POWERFUL
  22. Nov 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Halo 4 is a good game in my opinion, although many do not seem very good, but to me, this is one of the best in the series. The story is very compelling from start to finish, with an introduction you see Dr. Catherine Halsey talking about the Spartans. It then shows that reactive Cortana Master Chief to see who made ​​contact, was the Covenant that apparently were at war with humans again. Then they arrived to Requiem, known the Didact, the antagonist of the game. In the end, he dies, and what surprised most is the death of Cortana, very tragic. The game has excellent graphics, good gameplay, good multiplayer. In conclusion, a great game. Expand
  23. Nov 16, 2012
    The plot can be a bit confusing but the cutscenes are generally well executed, though the levels can be a bit repetitive, especially the grind of fighting Prometheans. Tying the new campaign to other events such as the Flood was well done and made this feel like a Halo game. On top of this free weekly updates with a few story elements thrown in can't be complained about in the era ofThe plot can be a bit confusing but the cutscenes are generally well executed, though the levels can be a bit repetitive, especially the grind of fighting Prometheans. Tying the new campaign to other events such as the Flood was well done and made this feel like a Halo game. On top of this free weekly updates with a few story elements thrown in can't be complained about in the era of pre-release DLC. Multiplayer can be a bit hectic, though every starting weapon is well balanced for its role (AR for close etc.) and as it should, comes down to skill of the user to be able to win a duel. Some of the weapons don't feel like their tried and true precursors, an example being the rocket launcher, though the pace of combat is consistent with the franchise's history. Overall a good investment, and seems to have a good play life, just as a Halo game should. Expand
  24. Nov 17, 2012
    Halo 4 is an enjoyable experience everyone should take part in.

Campaign. 8 missions of good times. Don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it's definitely worth playing all the way through. More action scenes from the Chief's POV make it seem like you're doing it. Only complaint is Chief talks more in this installment. Multiplayer. Insane. The maps are balanced and quite
    Halo 4 is an enjoyable experience everyone should take part in.

Multiplayer. Insane. The maps are balanced and quite enjoyable. You can now have loadouts, meaning you can choose to start with an automatic or precision rifle from UNSC, Covenant, or Forerunner. Different armor abilities and perks make multiple possibilities so you can play Halo the way you want to.

Spartan Ops. Short, little missions you can play solo or with a friend. Only complaint is it's too easy as you have infinite lives, even on solo legendary. Luckily, 343 Industries is releasing new episodes which each contain 5 more missions.

Customization is better here than in Reach. You can change helmets, torso, shoulders, forearms, legs, and visor. Completing different challenges nets you a different variant of most of the armor so you can choose your favorite design. 343 Industries, you did an amazing job with Halo 4 and I'll be patiently waiting for the next installment.
  25. Nov 17, 2012
    Thought it would be a flop, 100%, best game since Halo 2. Brought the series back to life after the total disappointment of Reach, and no Halo games could ever be as good as the first two. Good job.
  26. Nov 19, 2012
    This game in my opinion is the best in the series. Keep in mind I thought Reach was a downgrade from Halo 2 and 3. There are huge improvements with weapons, graphics, sounds, story line in campaign, and level set up. 10/10 no doubt.
  27. Nov 20, 2012
    Halo your doing it right. What a fantastic game!!! The best graphics in a console FPS period. Killzone 2 looked just as amazing, just lacked COLOR. A story mode that finaly lives up to Halo: CE!!! Don't think about it just BUY IT. The thing I love about Halo is you pay for what you get unlike COD. Halo always changes and isn't the same game every year. Halo does share a lot ofHalo your doing it right. What a fantastic game!!! The best graphics in a console FPS period. Killzone 2 looked just as amazing, just lacked COLOR. A story mode that finaly lives up to Halo: CE!!! Don't think about it just BUY IT. The thing I love about Halo is you pay for what you get unlike COD. Halo always changes and isn't the same game every year. Halo does share a lot of elements with COD now. But it still feels like Halo thank god. Expand
  28. Nov 20, 2012
    OK, this is my honest review on the game and I believe it is great! Anyone that believes that they copied Call of Duty outright hasn't played the game. Sure, some features were in CoD first, but some features in CoD were taken from Halo. This is what games do, take ideas from other games and improve on them, which Halo has done. Halo 4 is faster paced than the previous games, with instantOK, this is my honest review on the game and I believe it is great! Anyone that believes that they copied Call of Duty outright hasn't played the game. Sure, some features were in CoD first, but some features in CoD were taken from Halo. This is what games do, take ideas from other games and improve on them, which Halo has done. Halo 4 is faster paced than the previous games, with instant respawns in some features, and contains custom loadouts. These loadouts are not in any way truly affected by rank. First of all, it takes 1 War Games Match to go from SR1 to SR2 (SR is the ranking system). At SR2, you can purchase either the DMR or the BR, the two best loadout weapons. If you want a Carbine or Lightrifle for PERSONAL preference, then you have to wait a bit. I prefer the Lightrifle because of its dual functionality, but it isnt BETTER to say the least. All the weapons have their range. Of course a DMR will beat an Assault rifle from a distance. But Assault Rifles will destroy DMR at close range. YOU need to get into position to get the kills, so stop complaining about OP weapons. And there are no "Prestiges" like someone else said, and Amour Abilities are not OP either. Neither are Tactical or Support upgrades. They make small changes for PERSONAL preference. So all in all, Halo 4 has a balanced multi-player.
    The campaign is short but very good. The levels are fun and exciting. So if you have 60$, buy this game NOW!
  29. Nov 20, 2012
    This game is excellent. Singleplayer: The story is lacklustre (but has real potential for sequels) and those flying things are a pain in this ass. Those two minor gripes aside, I loved the new campaign! Spartan Ops: It's revolutionary. It keeps the story going, offers great co-op content, and is a fun alternative to previous Firefight modes. Multiplayer: I love it. It seems like theThis game is excellent. Singleplayer: The story is lacklustre (but has real potential for sequels) and those flying things are a pain in this ass. Those two minor gripes aside, I loved the new campaign! Spartan Ops: It's revolutionary. It keeps the story going, offers great co-op content, and is a fun alternative to previous Firefight modes. Multiplayer: I love it. It seems like the majority of problems people have with it stem from the game being different than Halo 2. Since I never played much Halo 2, this isn't a problem for me! It brings modern standards to Halo, and keep it fun and exciting. However, I wish there wasn't so much overlap between different guns. I rarely find myself switching from the DMR to any other weapon. Expand
  30. Nov 21, 2012
    this game is amazing? no, it can't be defined with words how great this is... a masterpiece, mindblowing, 10 of 10 , a classic that your childs will have to play. I am from old scholl gaming, and this is so amazing like mario, zelda and lara croft! it's even better than that
  31. Nov 21, 2012
    There are lots of set pieces in this game that make you giddy with excitement at the new ideas. The Mantis combat walker, the Mammoth 6 wheeled sandcrawler type vehicle. Lots of neat ideas. They did a good job of revising the franchise.

Then there are other parts of the game that make you want to beat your head against the wall in frustration. It is hard sometimes to see where you are supposed to go next and you just kind of have to search your way around.

Good story though and great graphics and gameplay otherwise. If you are a fan of Halo it is a must buy, if you are not a fan, then it might be a pass for you.
  32. Sep 8, 2013
    Halo 4 is a game that exceeded my expectations. It's campaign is an example of quality over quantity, with story telling will draw you in right from the beginning. The opening cut scene blew me away and the first mission introduced me to the dark and beautiful level design which became so distinctive to this game. Solid gameplay was a given, it doesn't feel entirely like Halo, it feelsHalo 4 is a game that exceeded my expectations. It's campaign is an example of quality over quantity, with story telling will draw you in right from the beginning. The opening cut scene blew me away and the first mission introduced me to the dark and beautiful level design which became so distinctive to this game. Solid gameplay was a given, it doesn't feel entirely like Halo, it feels more like how Halo should have been. A Sci-Fi shooter set in a sophisticated and thrilling universe. A huge but balanced selection human and alien weaponry finely compliments it's brilliant pacing. The games graphical achievements were an unexpected surprise, considering the fact that I've never been impressed by a Halo games graphics before. This is due to crazy technical achievement that truly pushes the now ancient hardware to it's limits. With incredible set piece after set piece, this game isn't just a cut above its predecessors but one of the greatest visual achievements this console generation. Sound design, as expected is top notch. The weapons have very distinctive sounds, although there are some hiccups such as the the warthog sounding far too aggressive, Halo's sound design is overall a joy to listen too. The games soundtrack had some pretty big boots to fill. While it simply does not fill those boots, it does a great job in setting Halo 4 apart from the original games by giving it a drastically different approach. The electronic sound that dominates the majority of the game is dark and menacing which is great but it doesn't hold the same emotional value that previous Halo titles massive scores did. Negatives to do with the game's campaign include minor issues such as the annoyances with pressing multiple switches. While the game play does a good job of being diverse, this feels like a lazy way to proceed through levels and makes it feel slightly tedious at times. But the big issue is that the game deserved a proper finale, the opening to the final mission was to me, one of the standout sections in the entire series (even giving The Maw's warthog escape a run for it's money). As the level proceeded I was almost certain a climatic ending would be the icing on the cake. Instead it finished abruptly, and felt very underwhelming. I personally feel that Halo 4 should have been just one mission longer, enough to give the game the ending it deserved.

As for the multiplayer, it's simply not as good as Halo 3. The formula has been drastically changed and although 343 have received a lot of flack for it, I understand their dilemma. Halo has long passed it's prime as far as multiplayer is concerned and the best 343 can do is try to keep up with the times without forgetting the games roots. That's probably even more difficult than it sounds. Although the multiplayer doesn't feel like classic Halo, even if it did it still wouldn't see half of Halo 3's success.

Overall I give this game an 8/10. A lot of the games elements truly feel like they've paid homage to the original (and in my opinion best) Halo, and in some areas it comfortably surpasses the original trilogy. It all just feels a little too late, Halo 4's merits will never truly be recognised as the franchise has already overstayed it's welcome.. And there's still a lot more to come!
  33. Dec 3, 2012
    There is a lot of positive stuff about this game but what really irritates me is this : WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY GOLD TO PLAY SPARTAN OPS OFFLINE!?! This mentality at M$ earns this game a 1/10. It's outright disgusting. Costco will be taking my game back. I am not paying 60 $ to HAVE to pay another membership just to play OFFLINE! If I want to play online I can do it for free on my PS3 or playThere is a lot of positive stuff about this game but what really irritates me is this : WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY GOLD TO PLAY SPARTAN OPS OFFLINE!?! This mentality at M$ earns this game a 1/10. It's outright disgusting. Costco will be taking my game back. I am not paying 60 $ to HAVE to pay another membership just to play OFFLINE! If I want to play online I can do it for free on my PS3 or play for XBL Gold... but now you guys are going to start charging for play Spartan Ops offline?!? I MEAN WHAT THE HELL??? It's not like this mode was not playable solo or local splitscreen... it is! If you start requesting Gold for this there is no end to your greed. Keep your video game. If I want to play it I'll wait for a price drop I am not paying full price to be ripped like this. Gosh even MW2 and MW3 special ops were all playable splitscreen... Black Ops can even have local splitscreen / LAN matches!?! Seriously shame on you Micro$oft and 343. Expand
  34. Nov 24, 2012
    Best graphics, best single player campaign, best weapons, best multiplayer. A masterpiece, 343i demonstrated the love for the series, bringing the best Halo yet to the Xbox console. Thank you
  35. Nov 28, 2012
    (the halo 4 story was satisfying IMO, this review is more centered on the multiplayer)

I Love halo, and also enjoy cod on many occasions. These games should be kept separate; converging their features don't make you gain both audiences. 343 said when asked about implemented COD features "Yea we want more of the market share of players, that's the major reason for the change." This game should probably receive around an 8-9, but for a halo game, it deserves a 6, plain and simple. I am a huge fan/player of halo 2, 3 and reach online. Halo 4 fails in my opinion to retain its uniqueness of the halo series. I actually enjoyed the fact that sprint was not inherent in previous halo's, IMO this is a core game mechanic that should have been retained. While the Cod mechanics don't technically make for a bad game, they do drastically change the way the game plays. I am surprised to see so many 9's and 10's from halo fans, I would have thought the changes toward COD would yield 7's and 8's at most. I didn't want ANOTHER Cod, I wanted another Halo.
  36. Dec 3, 2012
    This game's campaign is amazing, just like every other game in the Halo series. However the multiplayer really lacks anything new, there are weapon balancing issues, and there are only 10 maps playable at launch, only 4 of which are playable in Team Slayer (the most popular game type of the series). It kind of feels like they left out maps on purpose so that you would be more inclined toThis game's campaign is amazing, just like every other game in the Halo series. However the multiplayer really lacks anything new, there are weapon balancing issues, and there are only 10 maps playable at launch, only 4 of which are playable in Team Slayer (the most popular game type of the series). It kind of feels like they left out maps on purpose so that you would be more inclined to purchase their map packs. Expand
  37. Dec 16, 2012
    this game present the best graphics in Xbox 360, the campaign is short but is very amazing, takes the good things the previous Halo is the best halo since Halo CE. This game is essential in any collection of a user of XBox 360
  38. Dec 18, 2012
    Overall 343 did an amazing job at Halo 4.
    Now over a month after release and after I have spent several dozen of hours I can quite well say that I really like this game. The campaign is a little short but still provides a great and enjoyable experience. Haven
  39. Jan 4, 2013
    I've been a fan of HALO since the very first game (Still own every copy of it). HALO was the very first game i played on my old XBOX. And I fell in love with the game. And I've always looked forward to the next HALO game (except REACH, that game was meh)

I'm a huge fan of everything HALO, and I have to say I am NOT disappointed with HALO 4. It is everything I hoped for and more. The sounds/audio is amazing. And the voice acting is superb. Graphics are great for a Console Game. The plot/story is just how I imagined it would be after hours of speculation after Halo 3. And the forerunners look just great.

They did change the sound of several weapons and in my honest opinion. A lot of the sound even better now, and more ear-gasm-ing sounding. You know, they sound epic.

Level design is good, I love the environments and I found myself spending a lot of time looking around at different things. Love the attention to detail.

343 has done a great job, and I admit I was scared they would butcher the series. But they have not. They have give HALO new life, and I hope they will give me many more hours of fun to come.

Spartan Ops is a great addition to the game, I found it to be fun to play, especially with friends.

I did play a little of the Mutliplayer Aspect in HALO 3 and HALO REACH but I never got into it that much. I enjoyed it but it wasn't for me I suppose. But for those worried HALO 4's multiplayer is going to be vastly different. Fear not, it still feels like the good old HALO multiplayer. and it's even more fun now! I love it!

This is the first time I've really been playing HALO's multiplayer aspect and loving it A LOT. I never hated it, I liked it in the past. But it just didn't click for me that much. It does now. It feels just like I guess HALO 3 and REACH. But better, different. But in a good way. (No, it's not simplified. I still get my ass kicked as always) But I don't know. It feels like there's less BS with connections and such now. It runs more smoothly. I did spend a good couple of 100 hours playing REACH Multiplayer sure, I did enjoy it but it wasn't my thing for a while. I found it hard to get into. I suppose now that I know how it works, it was easier for me to get into HALO 4's multiplayer.

Either way, if you're a true HALO fan, you are going to love the campaign and the multiplayer.
  40. Dec 21, 2012
    Terrible. 343 killed Halo. Buy Halo 3 instead.
    If you are a long time Halo fan, you will hate this. It is just a casual noob fest that has been made too much like call of duty. They have removed all competitive elements and ruined the classic halo gameplay.
  41. Dec 27, 2012
    Great multiplayer even if you're a beginner. The campaign was way too repetitive where virtually every task was to go from point A to point B so you can do this (aka press a button)
  42. Jan 1, 2013
    Amazing game i mean cortanas pretty much naked and the gameplay is at its peak graphics are at its peak real flood and bigger maps more destructive combat.
  43. Jan 6, 2013
    Amazing game! The graphics upgrade that 343 has done on this game is simply outstanding. The new campaign was entertaining and I really enjoyed it. The new Spartan Ops feature is great (New missions with cut scenes done in seasons). At first I was disappointed 343 removed Firefight, but have enjoyed Spartan Ops much more now anyway. The multiplayer is as tight as ever and tons of newAmazing game! The graphics upgrade that 343 has done on this game is simply outstanding. The new campaign was entertaining and I really enjoyed it. The new Spartan Ops feature is great (New missions with cut scenes done in seasons). At first I was disappointed 343 removed Firefight, but have enjoyed Spartan Ops much more now anyway. The multiplayer is as tight as ever and tons of new weapons and abilities and to the package. This game has broken all my expectations and is my favorite Halo game ever. Expand
  44. Jan 17, 2013
    Playing halo 4 is like reliving the first time I played the original! The campaign is great the interaction between chief and cortana is engrossing to say the least. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous I spent a lot of time just looking around! The multiplayer is like I said earlier a great throw back with few tweaks thrown in. I think any Xbox owner should have this in there collection
  45. Jan 31, 2013
    Instead of trying to "reinvent" Halo maybe 343 Industries should focus on original content. Every change they have made to the gameplay mechanics has been done before and some of them detract from the idea that Halo was a competitive shooter.

I'm giving it a two because I've seen this game before. It wasn't in the future, but it was the same.
  46. Feb 16, 2013
    Halo 4 does little to help the franchise, whilst the game itself is enjoyable in the single player mode, the multiplayer is ruined. Halo reach's multiplayer was unique and fun, making gamemodes fun and fair, Halo 4 on the other hand feel too much like the fast paced multiplayer of a call of duty game. Halo reach had you work as a team in most gamemode, searching for weapon around theHalo 4 does little to help the franchise, whilst the game itself is enjoyable in the single player mode, the multiplayer is ruined. Halo reach's multiplayer was unique and fun, making gamemodes fun and fair, Halo 4 on the other hand feel too much like the fast paced multiplayer of a call of duty game. Halo reach had you work as a team in most gamemode, searching for weapon around the various maps that were different in their own way, not all of them taken from the campaign and having maps made by the developers themselves, Halo 4 has none of that, there is no heart to this game, 343 Industries has ruined the multiplayer. Forge mode is not much better, there is NO massive open world sandbox, just a collection of small, cramped and just down right badly made maps to be creative in, it saddens me to say this but Halo is now on a slippery slope down hill, unless 343 changes these problems, Halo will be like Call of Duty, old, senseless and just basically a bad game. Expand
  47. Feb 17, 2013
    Halo 4 as a game isn't exactly what I was expecting from the series, with a poor campaign that doesn't stand up to the previous 3. Graphics are incredible, I will say, better than any of the previous games. Multiplayer gameplay is dominated by the DMR, an overpowered weapon that has no downsides, the Boltshot, a pistol that doubles as a shotgun, and grenade spam, players enjoy picking theHalo 4 as a game isn't exactly what I was expecting from the series, with a poor campaign that doesn't stand up to the previous 3. Graphics are incredible, I will say, better than any of the previous games. Multiplayer gameplay is dominated by the DMR, an overpowered weapon that has no downsides, the Boltshot, a pistol that doubles as a shotgun, and grenade spam, players enjoy picking the same maps over and over until they don't have that choice anymore, and this gets very boring, very fast. Overall, the game isn't worthy of the title of Halo, maybe Call of Spartan 4 would have been a better title, because it seems like they attempted to CoDify it as much as possible without completely changing the game, speeding up gameplay wherever they could, sacrificing quality in many cases. Spartan ops, as an honorable mention, is disappointing and boring, recycled maps and stale gameplay make for a dull gameplay experience that doesn't cut it. Expand
  48. Mar 9, 2013
    Halo 4, the campaign... For me was utterly terrible. I'll start with something that I think plays a major part in Halo and that is the Music. Music within the halo games have been excellent in portraying the feelings between the master cheif and cortana. Marty was excellent at giving feeling and depth to situations within halo.

Unfortunately within halo 4 it's more like white noise. The

Unfortunately within halo 4 it's more like white noise. The sounds and music are repetitive and god awe full, they give no depth nor feeling to the game or any of the situations you're in.

The campaign felt like a long walk with button pushes along the way, the writing was terrible along with the level design. They created a game that looks good but only to take your eye away from the poor design. In comparison to Halo 3, there were many memorable moments and quotes that I'll remember forever, such as.

"You are, all of you, vermin. Cowering in the dirt, thinking…what, I wonder? That you might escape the coming fire? No. Your world will burn until its surface is but glass, and not even your Demon will live to creep, blackened from its hole, to mar the reflection of our passage. The culmination of our Journey, for your destruction is the will of the gods! And I? I am their instrument!"

The emotion between the cheif and cortana was not there at all where as in Halo 3 you could really feel it. 2 words 343, Body Language. "You know me when I make a promise"

Multiplayer on the other hand yet still is not as good as the previous games but I can understand why they went in the direction they did with games like cod and needing to keep up with any new fanbase.

The multilayer for me is a 4/10 yet is still playable and good. The level design is 'OK' with new map packs improving on design slightly. The skill gap has been narrowed by a lot and they have made it so almost anyone can pick up and play if they have played fps's before. Where as the previous Halo's (minus reach) were on a more competitive scale.

Hopefully with Halo 5 they will do a better job, as for now I think I may be going over to the Dark side next gen.
  49. Mar 20, 2013
    Good game. From a gamers perspective, the game was shipped before it was complete. Understandably though as the game needed to be sold that early in order to get a high amount of sales. The campaign is fun but short. Great graphics for a console. The multiplayer is ok. The randomness of all the power weapons gets annoying after a while and makes it hard to keep playing. Spartan Ops was funGood game. From a gamers perspective, the game was shipped before it was complete. Understandably though as the game needed to be sold that early in order to get a high amount of sales. The campaign is fun but short. Great graphics for a console. The multiplayer is ok. The randomness of all the power weapons gets annoying after a while and makes it hard to keep playing. Spartan Ops was fun if you had friends to play with. The first 5 episodes all feel the same. Even using a lot of maps multiple times. Other than challenges to increase your SR rank (which means nothing) there is no real reason to go back and play spartan ops after you've done it. 8/10, fun game but gets boring after you've tried everything. Expand
  50. Mar 21, 2013
    Now I had high hopes for Halo 4. But these hopes were shot down when I was playing the Campaign. The enemy's are defiantly not as smart as people say them to be, and the missions are usually very bland and boring. After beating the game on Normal it then attempted to say me into buying Xbox Live so I can keep playing Halo 4. Now I don't play on the Xbox Live so the multiplayer was out ofNow I had high hopes for Halo 4. But these hopes were shot down when I was playing the Campaign. The enemy's are defiantly not as smart as people say them to be, and the missions are usually very bland and boring. After beating the game on Normal it then attempted to say me into buying Xbox Live so I can keep playing Halo 4. Now I don't play on the Xbox Live so the multiplayer was out of the question. Once I beat the main game, I went to the Infinity lobby to try Spartan Ops only to be shot down and slapped in the face by another wall blocking my way to more Halo 4. That wall was a few sentences that said "Xbox Live Gold membership and permission to play online required for Spartan Ops". I immediately turned off my console after that. I went back into the game however a few months later and played the campaign again. It was fun, but afterwards I check my custom created Spartan. I got nothing for playing the campaign. Absolutely nothing except for a helmet for my Avatar. Heck the game didn't even say what difficulty I completed the game on. In my personal opinion Halo 4 could have been a great game, but was shot down by the Xbox Live requirements. You need Xbox Live to look at over 80% of the games content. I'm sorry to say it, but 343 has really ruined Halo for me. Expand
  51. Mar 26, 2013
    Wow. That's how you would sum up Halo 4 in one word. Great story, addicting multiplayer,and great ending. Probably the only complaint would be the DMR being over powered. But if playing everything else in the game you won't care. Please if you're a halo fan stop reading this review and buy this game. You won't be disappointed.
  52. Apr 22, 2013
    Halo 4 is definately the best exclusive game on the xbox 360 and thats no easy feat. the single player campaign is pretty good, i dont hink as good as halo 2 or 3 but a good start to a new trillogy staring the one and only master chief. the graphics in the game are quite amazing with lighting that is the true showcase for the game. halo has finnaly come out on top with the graphics areHalo 4 is definately the best exclusive game on the xbox 360 and thats no easy feat. the single player campaign is pretty good, i dont hink as good as halo 2 or 3 but a good start to a new trillogy staring the one and only master chief. the graphics in the game are quite amazing with lighting that is the true showcase for the game. halo has finnaly come out on top with the graphics are concerned compaired to cod of battlefield. the controls have been tweeked yet again from halo reach where u can now run by default which is very nice and overall i think the contols are quite tight. they did replace the firefight game mode with a new mode called spartan ops which is a nice addition as it has a story in it that goes beyond the campaign as well as letting you use your own spartan. but what really shines is the multiplayer which as been the case for as long as halo has been around. the new perk and armor abilities really spice it up and make the game stand on its own as far as fps games go. the maps both on the cd and dlc are amazing as well with some sure classics in the group such as haven and complex. if you are a halo fan, fps fan, multiplayer fan, or just want a good game this is where it is at. i have over 5 days put into the multiplayer alone. dont think about it just buy it. nuff said. Expand
  53. Apr 23, 2013
    The ending. Enough said. Halo 4 was saved by the incredibly emotional ending. MP is usual Halo so no real problems there. The game is overall probably the weakest Halo game in terms of varied gameplay, however the ending is so strong that it makes it quite memorable.
  54. May 2, 2013
    "Halo 4: the epic start of the reclaimer saga" I'm thinking they have lost their zest throughout the games. its a good game, don't get me wrong, but the campaign is a little to repetitive, and (for once) Master Cheif seems a little under powered. That, or the enemies are over powered. I recall having to do the same thing over and over again, multiple times. Kind of defeated the purpose of"Halo 4: the epic start of the reclaimer saga" I'm thinking they have lost their zest throughout the games. its a good game, don't get me wrong, but the campaign is a little to repetitive, and (for once) Master Cheif seems a little under powered. That, or the enemies are over powered. I recall having to do the same thing over and over again, multiple times. Kind of defeated the purpose of a FPS game: to kill the enemies and then move! however, multiplayer is great! They often add new game types and the suit customization is great! the specializations aren't anything special, and you need to be something around lvl. 60 (i think) to unlock them. Spartan ops are fun, but, like the campaign, get boring after a little while.

I would also recommend CoD games (even though you probably already have them)
  55. May 11, 2013
    Possibly one of the best games i have ever played!
    Should be much higher than 6.9
    Enjoyable and rewarding combat
    great story
    Great Multiplayer and modes
    What is not to love!
  56. Aug 2, 2013
    Halo 4 was an easy GOTY 2012. It lived beyond its expectations by bringing a spectacular campaign and a briallantly envigerated multiplayer. The multiplayer features great maps, far superior to the color pallet in Halo Reach, the design exceded as well in these maps. Halo has given custumizeble abilities
    but manages to inovate beyond cod in this but STILL manages to keep the game balanced and fun. Forge is great but in my opinion not quite in the glory of Reach. Still the matchmaking exceeds byond any halo except Halo 3 (I dont own an origonal xbox, but have played and loved the first 2 halos.).
    The campaign also brings the best pacing shown in the halo series. The new enemies are great, possibly better than the covenant, but the falcon, revents, drones, and skirmishers (halo reach) are sorely missed But you do take the control of a pelican. My only issue with the campaign was its end, as it brought simple gameplay. Even so the cinematics and story were moving, making me forgive as the very end still delivered. Spartan Ops, another feature of the game, doesnt live up to be as good as firefight, but as there are 50 missions and I will tell many are good. They are not all good, but there is something for everyone. In my opinion, spartan ops is like a jumbe of missions given as a bonus and 343 tells you "here you go, 50 missions, have fun." And you do as spartan ops is great fun with some friends and the generous spawn system allows it to be easy to complete (but not easy in the sense of not dying as the combat's difficulty is on par with the campaign.) In all, Halo 4 comes to be one of the best Halos as a great addition to the franchise and stands as a breath of life into the franchise, bringing
    innovations that shows that Halo is still the king. 10 out of 10/ 9.5 out of 10.
  57. May 23, 2013
    Firstly, I want to say I LOVE the Halo universe. My brother and I spent many hours playing the first one and it holds a special place in my heart and on my shelf.... That being said, WHAT THE EFF DID THEY DO TO CORTANA?!?!!? OMG! I can't get over it! She went from being a serious side kick with a touch of sexy to just plain dumb, in all sense of the word. I didn't care about her at all inFirstly, I want to say I LOVE the Halo universe. My brother and I spent many hours playing the first one and it holds a special place in my heart and on my shelf.... That being said, WHAT THE EFF DID THEY DO TO CORTANA?!?!!? OMG! I can't get over it! She went from being a serious side kick with a touch of sexy to just plain dumb, in all sense of the word. I didn't care about her at all in this game. Give me back H3's Cortana!
    They gave her bigger, droopier boobs, more curves and to top it all off, a giant gap toothed grin that just refuses to stay behind her botoxed lips that constantly hang open. ok rant over. Back to the real stuff.
    I am very torn with this game. I want to love it because it's more Halo, more John FORERUNNERS!!; but at the same time, it's bad. You have a busted AI, hopping around this giant "installation" you just found and she's acting like she's the one who built it. I really felt like this was just a game of running around jamming a rampant AI into random holes and just going along for the ride. Turn this off! Go here! Blow that up! Oh, that's the Diadact!... wtf? And did I miss something? Because I thought that the Covenant were no longer against us...Or even a cohesive group since the Prophet's were overthrown.

Now the Multiplayer. I could be wrong on some counts, I didn't play online since H2 but I much preferred being joined with people roughly my lvl. Not a party of 3 high levels all on the same team, meanwhile me and my last picked losers get utterly obliterated when they finally make full teams and decide to give the good guys, even better ones. Only other complaint is the Theatre. CoD Bo2 keeps several if not all of your games for you to watch and rewatch. It even gives a neat little option where you can see through walls and watch the enemy come to you from afar. I get stuck with only my most recent game and there are not many options for me to choose from to take screens. Which also means I have to back out of que if I had a particularly kick ass game I want to screen before playing again. Frustrating.
    Of course, it's got great sound and graphics, the extras are nice (Spartan Ops), and... it's more Halo, but not really in the direction I was hoping for.
  58. Jun 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have every single Halo game, and this is the most polished as far as graphics and multiplayer inclusions go (except for the maps). The campaign continues to add a new story path but the gameplay is very very similar to all the other Halo games which is starting to mount now. The online Spartan Ops replaces firefight with similar type point to point mission sets needing to kill approximately around 100 various enemy combinations between point activations through each mission. These 50 mission sets (spanning 10 chapters) can be measured up with firefight as an alternative where time taken with death count, difficulty setting andoverall enemy kill score can be stacked/scored, but to me it felt more repetetive than challenging. The last 2 chapters were a grind (10 missions) but perhaps it would be more challenging if I went through them in heroic or legendary, as I did it in normal difficulty. I recently returned to the campaign on above normal, and the challenge is coming out now which will make the game last well and strong until Halo 5 on the new XBox One! Going through the campaign the second time now on the higher difficulty (legendary), I am picking up on the story better where Spartan Ops and even the TV series Forward unto Dawn has some very good linkages. Lastly, the upgrade system has improved from Reach with achievement inclusions with Halo Waypoint which points the way to Halo 5 on the new XBox One being even better with a TV series inclusion. Overall, Halo 4 is a good continuance, improvement and add on, though the gameplay is starting to wear thinner over time. Gameplay inclusions are better with capture the flag, weapon strengths, ordinance drops even though the maps are not as good. I want to give the game a 9, but give it an 8 because I liked the fact that firefight on previous Halo games allowed for 2 player split screen action without needing a second xbox live subscription, so it is missing that with Spartan Ops as a replacement. Had to pull my score down to 8 because this is a concerning detractor. Expand
  59. Jul 25, 2013
    I'm a bit late to review the game. But I was hyped for this game from the day it was announced to the day it launched. The multiplayer is unbalanced and disappointing. It's a CoD mirror. The population has died so fast. Spartan Ops is recycled regions of the campaign (for the most part.) It also has very cheesy and bad voice acting. Most of the custom games options were removed. Forge hasI'm a bit late to review the game. But I was hyped for this game from the day it was announced to the day it launched. The multiplayer is unbalanced and disappointing. It's a CoD mirror. The population has died so fast. Spartan Ops is recycled regions of the campaign (for the most part.) It also has very cheesy and bad voice acting. Most of the custom games options were removed. Forge has no good maps. Campaign was the only good element. I don' recommend this game unless you're a campaign guy. Expand
  60. Jul 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the multiplayer, but i want more game modes to the multiplayer and custom game. The campaign is okay but it would be better if it were 1 more difficulty, like super-legendary so it could be harder to play the campaign, but all the other halos only have those other like halo 4 too. The maps is awesome, and the weapons are awesome... It's a nine from me! Awesome Game Expand
  61. Aug 16, 2013
    Best graphics I have ever seen in a game, fun and thrilling campaign, and the new aspects of multiplayer add a lot of new mechanics and ways to play it.
  62. Aug 28, 2013
    I feel a score of 3/10 is quite generous for this game. As a veteran of the franchise, with Combat Evolved being my introduction, I was extremely disappointed with the mulitplayer of Halo 4. Gone was the core features of Halo gameplay that we all knew and loved: everyone starting equal, battles for the power ups and power weapons, etc. Throwing in sprint to use at anytime, armor abilities,I feel a score of 3/10 is quite generous for this game. As a veteran of the franchise, with Combat Evolved being my introduction, I was extremely disappointed with the mulitplayer of Halo 4. Gone was the core features of Halo gameplay that we all knew and loved: everyone starting equal, battles for the power ups and power weapons, etc. Throwing in sprint to use at anytime, armor abilities, personal ordnance, perks--all that really was off-putting. Add in the fact that there's no ranking system whatsoever (even Reach had Arena) and awful game mechanics leaves you a trash game. All of my friends have quit playing the Halo, so shame on you 343i. You ruined it all. Expand
  63. Sep 11, 2013
    The campaign was pretty disappointing, but the multiplayer somewhat makes up for it, although it is the worst of the series. But the problem with the entire game is that they messed with the existing formula too much. Basically, the game feels more like a clone than something distinct.
  64. Nov 13, 2013
    Too Long Didn't Read- do yourself a favor and do not buy this game.
    Halo 4 is hands down one of the most disappointing games ever made. While I cannot explain the number of positive reviews on this website, I beseech you not to buy this game, you will regret it if you do(if you enjoyed Halo 2 and 3).
    Here is a list of the things that are wrong with Halo 4. 1.The music. This is one of
    Too Long Didn't Read- do yourself a favor and do not buy this game.
    Here is a list of the things that are wrong with Halo 4.
    1.The music. This is one of the most noticeable changes because Halo 3's music was so good. I would describe it as extremely bland.
    2. The level design.  Levels are simply put, boring.  The enemies aren't placed in places that make it fun to clear them out, the levels are monotonous with the same areas repeating themselves, the vehicle levels aren't fun-a cardinal sin in the Halo universe
    3.  The AI- the only thing the AI does is strafe. Enemies don't come looking for you, they don't really run and hide (unless the hiding space is reached by strafing)
    4.  The story- Halo 4's story is basically incomprehensible
    5. The multiplayer- weapons aren't placed in the maps- you have to wait for random weapon drops to get weapons like sniper rifles or rocket launchers.  The result of this is a map that has no reason to fight over its territory- in Halo 3 you fought over the bits of map that had these weapons placed in them, making battles highly competitive.  The game also doesn't differentiate different levels of skill whereas in Halo 3 if you were up against a skilled player he would take you down pretty fast.
    6.  The vehicles- in multiplayer the vehicles are very easily destroyed or frozen with a plasma pistol making them pretty much pointless for many players.
    7.  Random insertion of QuickTime events- while this is a small issue, the fact these were included in a Halo game shows the creators didn't understand Halo

I hope I've convinced you not to waste your money in this game. Let's hope Destiny is the spiritual sequel to the Halo franchise because Halo 4 essential killed the franchise,
  65. Nov 19, 2013
    Adorei esse jogo. Perfeito na minha opinião. Graficos muito bons e história aprofundada. Nunca imaginei que Halo cresceria tanto. Um jogo indispensável para os amanter da serie e do console Xbox
  66. Nov 21, 2013
    when I first got this game home, I was breathless on its graphics and story, halo 4 is a step up from reach, up to the end of 2013 I still play halo 4 multiplayer this game is meant to last you years, the only problem is I wished it was a longer game, but over all its perfect in my opinion.
  67. Nov 30, 2013
    Definitely lives up to the standard of this franchise. The campaign is intriguing, interesting and engaging as ever; they even correctly referenced the ending of Halo 3 in the beginning of Halo 4. The plot is kind of slow in the beginning, but easily picks up in a little over half an hour, and new weapons and abilities are sprinkled throughout. The ending [NO spoiler] is very reminiscentDefinitely lives up to the standard of this franchise. The campaign is intriguing, interesting and engaging as ever; they even correctly referenced the ending of Halo 3 in the beginning of Halo 4. The plot is kind of slow in the beginning, but easily picks up in a little over half an hour, and new weapons and abilities are sprinkled throughout. The ending [NO spoiler] is very reminiscent of a Bioshock game, and sets the game up for an epic sequel.

The graphics are probably one of the best features of this game. Visually stunning, 343 has improved the game engine drastically, with better shadows, lighting, lens flares, anti-aliasing, textures, and many other great things. Whether you melee an enemy or fire a rocket at a moving car, you can feel the kick from the weapon and hear a satisfying crack as you break a hole in your enemy's skull, all without audio spam.

The soundtrack is superb, as should be expected for a Halo game. In order to fully understand why, you have to listen to it yourself. Epic, expanding, and fitting for the mood of Halo, you won't be disappointed by the audio in this game.

Finally, the multiplayer has been improved and refined in many ways. While the maps may be a little lackluster, weapon loadouts and 343's own take on perks will keep the game fresh and exhilarating, and an HD remake of the classic Halo 3 map Valhalla will trigger your nostalgia.

Overall, a visually well-crafted game with few cons and many pros that will leave you satisfied with the series, game, and what is to come.
  68. Dec 7, 2013
    It's a Halo game which mean it carries a lot on it's shoulders but it's a gem of a game. Short campaign, but what it lacks in quantity makes it up in quality for which it delivers an enthralling campaign which junctions perfectly from Bungie's Halo. Although the campaign is amazing, the multiplayer is weak with only a small amount of game time could be spent until boredom catches up.It's a Halo game which mean it carries a lot on it's shoulders but it's a gem of a game. Short campaign, but what it lacks in quantity makes it up in quality for which it delivers an enthralling campaign which junctions perfectly from Bungie's Halo. Although the campaign is amazing, the multiplayer is weak with only a small amount of game time could be spent until boredom catches up. Nevertheless, you have new multiplayers features to deter you from completely putting the game down. Expand
  69. Dec 23, 2013
    As a Halo Fan i am disapointed in halo 4. The story line doesnt sucks you in to it. The Multiplayer is to boring Split Screen will lag the game. Loadouts are stupid but i know why Bungie stopped halo, because Halo is Death. Their game Destiny will realy shine and Rise again. I give this game a score 1 because of the graphics
  70. Jan 13, 2014
    Greatest Halo game!
    High quality feeling and audio, at 1080p it's graphics rival those of next gen!
    Though I miss the original Halo music, the new music is memorable and emotional..
  71. Mar 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (First things first: this is a critique of the campaign. I am not a multi-player gamer.)

I think there is a point when a video game or film franchise goes from being fun and made with enthusiasm and talent to being purely a cash cow.

Halo 4 is such a game. Bungie rightfully designed, explored and closed their Halo games by incorporating a trilogy, a side-story and a prequel (Halo Wars is in another category). One can only imagine once Microsoft had 343 take over Master Chief's universe, they didn't so much see the mythology evolving and the story going deeper but more dollar signs. And let's face it, that's what the industry is all about, creating great games, making money.

The trouble is when your audience sees through the ruse and realizes the game is less about them and more about the profit margin, there is a loss of spirit in the actual game playing.

And that's what Halo 4 is: spiritless. Sure on the surface, the graphics, the sound, the story are all at Halo standards but here again, the game is beautiful while being less fun and the further players explore Planet Requiem and take down the Prometheans, the levels tediously pile on and the enemy onslaught becomes even more tiring.

With the Covenant, at least there is a comedic character to them. The Prometheans, on the other hand, are rather dull and remind me of long-forgotten Happy Meal toys from the 80s. They are not so much menacing as unavoidable in their combat style. The only strategy in fighting them is perseverance if little else. And as for the Didact and the Librarian and the Composer, it all turns into a convoluted mess at times and you're really trying hard to care and at the same time forgive the operatic hyperbole of the mythology. Halo 4 is what happens when 'epic' becomes closer to ridiculous.

What kept me playing is the story between Master Chief and Cortana. The voice acting is superb and on-par with the best Hollywood animated movies. With Cortana, especially, from the facial expressions to the gestures, we've come along way from Combat Evolved's clunky cut scenes.

Yet, despite the small pleasures of the voice acting, this is just a barely-above average FPS. If it didn't have the Halo concept, the story and mythos, the gamer would be just playing any other action shoot-em up.

It's good, but not great. At times, not even fun. 343 basically replaced The Flood with the Prometheans and took cues from The Flood stages to create similar bland levels to fight the bland waves of enemies. The Covenant levels were the best to play and thankfully there were more than I expected. The story and the relationship between Master Chief and Cortana were the only reasons I carried on. Otherwise, unlike Halo 3 or Reach, I won't bother to revisit this campaign. This game is beautiful to look at but for the most part (again, aside from the dramatic cut scenes), it's quite soulless. Halo fans deserve better and 343 and Microsoft have created their cash cow and will most likely continue to worship it and pump out more of the same. For the record, I probably won't bother with the next one in the series. Halo, from what Halo 4 shows me, rightfully belonged to Bungie and can't be crafted with the same care and passion by any other company.
  72. Sep 12, 2014
    This game is really well put-together, with a great story continuing from the previous games and great multi-player to wo with as well. The only reason people would down vote this game is they have their nose up Bungie's rear. I hope that 343 Industries will continue to take Halo to new heights and all of Bungie's future endeavors will fail time and time again. But enough of that, thisThis game is really well put-together, with a great story continuing from the previous games and great multi-player to wo with as well. The only reason people would down vote this game is they have their nose up Bungie's rear. I hope that 343 Industries will continue to take Halo to new heights and all of Bungie's future endeavors will fail time and time again. But enough of that, this is a great game for new players and old veterans of the Halo series like myself. Expand
  73. Nov 8, 2014
    The multiplayer is fine and that is all i could ask for but the campaign is breath taking the best game i have ever played. The emotion of the game is outstanding. how anyone could dislike this game even in the slightest is unfathomable.
  74. Dec 22, 2014
    A fresh and fun addition to the Halo franchise we all love while staying true to its predecessors. Halo 4 stylishly integrates new concepts with the old butt-kicking mechanics we enjoyed.
  75. Dec 29, 2014
    This was a great game. However the reason that i am giving this game such a low review is because they got rid of firefight!!! Me and my sister had hours of fun through the halo series playing firefight!!! If spartan opp is the same thing then it still stinks because i just cant play it. I have to get Xbox live or something. I don't like this because of what happened after the update. IThis was a great game. However the reason that i am giving this game such a low review is because they got rid of firefight!!! Me and my sister had hours of fun through the halo series playing firefight!!! If spartan opp is the same thing then it still stinks because i just cant play it. I have to get Xbox live or something. I don't like this because of what happened after the update. I got sent back to sr1 after updating!!!! This ruined the game for me. Also during forge, there was a problem. I would be in forge mode and then i would turn back to spartan but i would take forever to make the screen load back.That was annoying. after i got sent back to recruit, i stopped playing this game. Not cool 343. not cool. Expand
  76. May 20, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Want an in-depth explanation for why Halo 4 sucks? Look no further. I always played Halo for the campaign, so that's going to be the main focus of this review. The campaign in Halo 4 pissed me off for a multitude of reasons. First of all, the first thing you notice is the new and innovative introduction of quick time events (press rb to kill elite), and that they brought back the Covenant as an enemy. And not the Covenant from Halo 3, with brutes and no elites. No, they decided to bring back a Covenant that was almost exactly like the one from reach (except with fewer enemy variety), with elites (even though they allied with the UNSC), and all the weapons that the Covenant used in Halo reach, despite that game being a prequel to all of the other Halo games, and therefore the weapons and covenant armor types in that game would be dated by the time Halo 4 rolls around. But the weapons and enemies aren't the only thing dated about Halo 4. The graphics make it look oddly cartoony, the enemy AI is crappy (They don't even reload, so if they have a rocket launcher it gets to be rapid fire), and there are little to no innovations to be found anywhere. Well, unless you count the COD-ification that is rampant in the campaign and multiplayer modes. So, the Covenant sucks. But what about the much-hyped Prometheans? Surely they must be cool? Well... they aren't. There are only four enemy types (unless you count the slight differences n the colors of their back-spikes, which I sure as hell don't). There are only about eight Promethean weapons, which all function just like orange UNSC weapons. Worst of all, there are no Promethean vehicles. Not even giant monsters or anything. Just generic dogs, drones, turrets, and hunchbacked elites. Throughout the campaign, nothing really impressed me. I still remember iconic levels from Halo 3 and Halo Reach ("The Covenant" and "The Ark", anyone?), but this contained none of that. It was all just "go through an area that looks like you're tripping on LSD and hit a button so that you and the naked blue lady can go to a new area". It didn't help that the soundtrack was forgettable. Also, for some reason there was no Arbiter as player 2 (One of the coolest things about Halo 3). Instead, if you want to play with a buddy there's gotta be 2 Master Chiefs. The story also sucked. Basically, this generic alien wants to destroy the world and you have to stop him and the covenant are also there because they weren't creative enough to make a fully fleshed-out forunner faction. The ending is probably the worst part. It involves a single quick time event "boss fight" that makes the fight with Guilty Spark at the end of Halo 3 look like something out of Dark Souls. Then they proceed to kill off Cortana. Freaking Cortana! The Halo story pretty much already ended. Did Bungie give 343 permission to do this? This would be like if a different company made a new lord of the rings movie, and just killed off Gandalf or Legolas at the end. Not only does the campaign suck, 343 also removed Firefight, and replaced it with Spartan Ops, something you can't even use unless you've paid for Xbox Live. The multiplayer is OK I guess, but compared to games like battlefield and COD, Halo needs to actually innovate if it wants to be able to compete with these games. The one thing that pissed me off about it was the fact that you can no longer play as an alien. I gave this game a 4 only because the core gameplay is actually pretty fun, and there are a lot of cool ways you can customize your spartan now. Also, Forge is pretty fun, although still not on par with the map maker of, say, Far Cry (Why can't you spawn enemies or change the weather and terrain? That would be so cool!). Finally, Halo seems to be one of the few games these days that actually gives a **** about splitscreen multiplayer, so I respect it for that. Other than that, you would be better off playing one of the legendary Halo games of old, like Halo 3 or Combat Evolved. Expand
  77. Nov 10, 2012
    I cant believe why people don't like this game. Most of the time i read reviews about how its crap because of load-outs and kill-cam. these people are just stupid. COD is now halos biggest rival so it was a smart move by 343 to add the load-outs and kill-cam. It was to combat COD. Anyway back to Halo. The graphics are fantastic and the campaign is short and sweet. One of the main reasonsI cant believe why people don't like this game. Most of the time i read reviews about how its crap because of load-outs and kill-cam. these people are just stupid. COD is now halos biggest rival so it was a smart move by 343 to add the load-outs and kill-cam. It was to combat COD. Anyway back to Halo. The graphics are fantastic and the campaign is short and sweet. One of the main reasons why i love this game is the multiplayer. As i said before about the load-outs and kill cam, yes it does take that form call of duty but it still keeps its halo roots. Honestly this game for me feels more like a halo game than reach did. Don't get me wrong, i thought reach was awesome but it just didn't have that true halo feel that halo 3 did. Halo 4 recaptured that raw gaming and halo experience for me. this game is absolutely amazing and 343 has pulled it off. A great Halo game. Expand
  78. Dec 13, 2012
    This game is by no means the best, but this score of 7 is just ridiculous. Considering it as 343i's first Halo game, it's pretty damn amazing. The graphics are one of the best on console, no argument. The music, while lacking in some areas compared to O'Donnell's compositions, is, frankly, amazing, and the campaign is very good--especially the revelation that Master Chief has an emotionalThis game is by no means the best, but this score of 7 is just ridiculous. Considering it as 343i's first Halo game, it's pretty damn amazing. The graphics are one of the best on console, no argument. The music, while lacking in some areas compared to O'Donnell's compositions, is, frankly, amazing, and the campaign is very good--especially the revelation that Master Chief has an emotional side as well. The multiplayer is fast-paced and more COD-like, for better or for worse is you to decide. Spartan Ops is fun as hell, especially as it provides a campaign-like co-op. Expand
  79. Nov 13, 2012
    Best Halo to date. The lighting is amazing, Animation looks incredible. New characters, new weapons, new everything. 343 has done the best job they could do given the circumstances. Can't wait to see where they go with the franchise next.
  80. Mar 11, 2014
    disgrace to the franchise. halo 2 anniversary is the only hope. bxr and button combos must return. halo 4 killed our community and destroyed all hope for 343. do not buy halo 5 or support anything, but remakes from bungie games.
  81. Nov 8, 2012
    This is honestly the best game i have played this year. The graphics have maximized the xbox's potential. 343i has redone multi-player so that it takes the addictive part of COD but still feels like halo. There are no words to describe the sheer awesomeness of the campaign.
  82. Nov 11, 2012
    A fine game but it's not Halo. It's more like MW dressed up, right from the stupid climbing sequence right from the start. Game looks great, and audio is fine, but it doesn't sound like Halo. None of the familiar audio queues are there everything sounds different. Even the Warthog which has been given a gasoline engine for this release. Loadouts, are straight out of MW. 343 may have wantedA fine game but it's not Halo. It's more like MW dressed up, right from the stupid climbing sequence right from the start. Game looks great, and audio is fine, but it doesn't sound like Halo. None of the familiar audio queues are there everything sounds different. Even the Warthog which has been given a gasoline engine for this release. Loadouts, are straight out of MW. 343 may have wanted to put their stamp on this game, which they did, and made a MW clone rather than a Halo game. Story seems contrived, just a made up world so Cortana and the Chief have a nice backdrop for their cheesy dialog.

Don't get me started on multiplayer. I always liked Bungie's attempt to make matchmaking balanced, I'm my opinion unlockable loadouts have broken that. Why should I be at an disadvantage in matchmaking because I have not played as much as the kid next door. He already has enough advantage with skills and map knowledge don't add weapons and perks to that as well, you're just making the multiplayer less accessible to players. I play Halo multiplayer because I don't want to play COD, now I don't have a choice.

This is the first Halo game I haven't bought and I don't think I will be. I'll be sending my rental back as soon as I finish the campaign.
  83. Dec 15, 2012
    Halo 4 by 343 Studios is an attempt to win a race that began with a little outfit named Bungie. If nothing else, this title stands as the last solid breath of the XBOX 360- a final burst of energy from a console on its last leg. Morbid as that may seem, the result is a milestone for both the 360 and the Halo franchise as a whole. It doesn
  84. Nov 13, 2012
    Halo has been and will always be a game of brilliant visual and excellent story writing. Often times it holds itself more like a movie than a game. Halo 4 by itself told a new story that, while following the story of the previous games, felt like a new idea. Halo is a game of nostalgia, but this sequel was mostly new ideas and scrapping a lot of the old (possibly overplayed) ones, soHalo has been and will always be a game of brilliant visual and excellent story writing. Often times it holds itself more like a movie than a game. Halo 4 by itself told a new story that, while following the story of the previous games, felt like a new idea. Halo is a game of nostalgia, but this sequel was mostly new ideas and scrapping a lot of the old (possibly overplayed) ones, so people who think Halo Combat Evolved was the best and halo reach was the worst first person Halo game, you're gonna find that this game plays like reach more than CE. They took away most of the things they had in Halo 1 and put in a whole new set of guns and enemies. They kept most of the human and covenant weapons, but in comparison to the new forerunner guns, they seem a little weak, despite the fact that they made basically every gun in the game seem more powerful and accurate. The new enemies are more difficult to kill for a veteran halo player because they fight differently than previous halo enemies. One thing that many people may like is that there are no flood in this game, in fact they don't even mention the flood, or most of the events of previous games at all. But you are back to fighting the covenant, who got a bit of a makeover, but still fight the same and have almost the same guns. This installment of halo did leave me with a few questions, like "where did the master chief get a slightly new suit?" and "isn't there an easier way to do this that doesn't involve me nearly getting killed and us messing around with ancient alien artifacts?" but that is just mild flaws in the storytelling that only slightly take you out of the story. The biggest note with Halo 4 is that in 11 years, nothing has changed as it comes to gameplay. The newer games add slight alterations like suit mods, run features, weapon changes and enemy swaps, but honestly I am still using the same strategy as halo 1. The fact of the matter is you can take that as you want it, for me I like the small changes to gameplay big changes to story but for some people they can play the halo they have and be just as happy. In my opinion I think this game is fantastic and if it didn't have to be compared to the other halo games then it would get more credit. The features they kept were nice, the ones they took out made sense, and the story was new, I don't look for anything else in a halo game. One other thing is that the infinity multiplayer has a strong call of duty 4 influence to it, but it still feels like halo. And they replaced firefight with spartan ops (firefight with a storyline kinda thing) and it plays fine. I give it a 10 because it's worth it's cost and more, and is all over really good. Expand
  85. Nov 7, 2012
    This is the best Halo since 2. Making an argument for best in the series. It is stunning in every single way. The graphics must be pushing the limits of the 360 because it would appear that they squeezed every last drop out of this dated console. Kudos to 343.
  86. Nov 6, 2012
    I've been a halo player since the original one. Played the heck out of halo 2 and 3. Reach came out and just was a huge disappointment. The multiplayer in this came has come back to life. So far the maps are looking amazing. The feel for the game is back. The battle rifle is back to it's awesome self. Kasparov5 said " Do yourself a favor and buy games truly deserving of your hard earnedI've been a halo player since the original one. Played the heck out of halo 2 and 3. Reach came out and just was a huge disappointment. The multiplayer in this came has come back to life. So far the maps are looking amazing. The feel for the game is back. The battle rifle is back to it's awesome self. Kasparov5 said " Do yourself a favor and buy games truly deserving of your hard earned cash like Dishonored, Hotline Miami, Hitman Absolution." I have dishonored truly an awesome game but once you beat it, you're done; You will not lose that interest with Halo 4. Highly recommend. Well done 343 Industries. Expand
  87. Nov 13, 2012
    Excellend start to the new Halo trilogy. 343i did more than expected for their first fully developed Halo game. Graphics look fantastic, the story is enthralling, and the multiplayer is fun. What more could you ask for? This is a must buy for any fan of the Halo franchise.
  88. Nov 13, 2012
    I grew up playing Halo. The score to Halo 4 seemed to me like atmospheric background noise.. I rarely noticed it. The music is integral to what it is as a franchise to me. I am a purist tho. I liked the plot of Reach better. I am also missing a lot of the multiplayer options from Reach too. Like the ability to put it on good connection and similar skill. Also the campaign scoring andI grew up playing Halo. The score to Halo 4 seemed to me like atmospheric background noise.. I rarely noticed it. The music is integral to what it is as a franchise to me. I am a purist tho. I liked the plot of Reach better. I am also missing a lot of the multiplayer options from Reach too. Like the ability to put it on good connection and similar skill. Also the campaign scoring and firefight are also missing. Spartan Ops isn't the same, after the 10 weeks it's going to be useless. Than there's the fact you don't get taken out of scope when you're shot. I love it still but nothing is perfect. I just see it as a result of a new studio playing it safe in some areas and trying too hard to impress in others. Expand
  89. Nov 7, 2012
    Simply the best of its kind! If you don't have an 360 yet now its the time to get one. Amazing story. Amazing graphics. Multiplayer like no other game does!
  90. Nov 10, 2012
    Halo 4 is very good. I have been a fan of the series since Halo 2 for the X-box and have seen it go through quite a few iterations. If you are a hardcore Halo 3 fan, then this game might seem tantamount to sacrilege. Let me just say: This is not halo 3, I'm sorry they ruined your game, now stop giving 0 star reviews and throwing off the curve. I also advise you to read no further and justHalo 4 is very good. I have been a fan of the series since Halo 2 for the X-box and have seen it go through quite a few iterations. If you are a hardcore Halo 3 fan, then this game might seem tantamount to sacrilege. Let me just say: This is not halo 3, I'm sorry they ruined your game, now stop giving 0 star reviews and throwing off the curve. I also advise you to read no further and just go back to playing Halo 3 with the rest of the 400 people in south America who still hold it dear. For the rest of us who don't mind (or at least are aware of the fact) that games change as time moves forwards, Here you go. I compare this game to Halo: Reach which I loved and consider it a benchmark for the series, this game is different, much more oriented for a faster paced (hate to say it) call of duty indoctrinated audience.
    Sprint is a standard feature ( unlike reach where it was one option out of several abilities ) Guns are unlocked as the player progresses through ranks. Points are awarded per rank, which the player in turn uses to "buy" guns, armor additions, perks and upgrades. This system is not too dissimilar to call of duty admittedly, but that doesn't take away from the satisfaction of saving up points for a special unlock. It is rewarding and gives the player something to work towards. Honestly, I am having a blast playing this game. The visuals are stunning, the new player models are slick and the skins have been tweaked to represent a newer generation of Spartans. The single player is fun and engaging, and of course the brutal legendary difficulty setting is quite fierce to say the least. The multiplayer experience is deep with all the usual game types halo fans are accustomed to, and a deep co-op story which runs parallel to the main campaign and releases new 5 chapter episodes every week or so. This feature not only gives you new content o explore, but can further progress the story and lore in episodic installments. 343 took on a huge task when they took the reigns to the Halo franchise. I think they did it splendidly. Don't be a hater, give Halo 4 a try.
  91. Dec 28, 2012
    When i got this game, i thought i was going to have a blast... Bad idea. The story would have been good, but they twisted the story, dumb downed the gameplay, and made the multiplayer like Call of Duty.

Massive Disappointment.
  92. Jan 16, 2013
    As always, Halo never fails to impress me. The hype was well-deserved. Visually, its hands-down the best on consoles for 2012. Its audio is superb, with fitting elements to fit the campaign and its original score may not be the old Halo OST, but in the direction it is going, its safe to say that its a great direction. The scores are utterly epic. As for the campaign, the storyline andAs always, Halo never fails to impress me. The hype was well-deserved. Visually, its hands-down the best on consoles for 2012. Its audio is superb, with fitting elements to fit the campaign and its original score may not be the old Halo OST, but in the direction it is going, its safe to say that its a great direction. The scores are utterly epic. As for the campaign, the storyline and voice acting is the best so far in the Halo series. The campaign may be short, but the storyline and gameplay makes up for this shortcoming. The relationship between Master Chief and Cortana shown in the campaign has never been moving in a video game. The sounds, are incredible. Whenever you fire a weapon, it sounds like it has more power than in the previous games, it has more "oomph!". Honestly, Metacritic should have given this epic game at least a 90, and the user ratings are utterly blasphemous. Overall, this game, should be your #1 game to get if you are into FPS, and for 2012. However, you may be confused as to what is going on if you do not refresh your knowledge of Halo lore, like the events that lead up to the events of Halo 4. As for multiplayer however, improvements could be made, but otherwise its fun as hell. Spartan Ops is an episodic story with multiplayer in mind. I have to say that the first 5 episodes did not meet my expectation, as the episodes we play has a lack of connection with the stories told in the CG scenes, but from what i hear, episode 6-10 have been improved, and I expect a good show from 343. To everybody reading this review, Halo 4 is a must get. If it does not land on your shelf, then you have just missed out on the legacy of gaming. You will regret it. 343, I salute you. Improve upon whatever you have done, and you shall come out with a proper AAA title once more. Congratulations, 343! Expand
  93. Nov 10, 2012
    Halo needs to stay halo. It obvious doesn't work when COD and other fps features are put into it. 343 should know that reach was no received well with the core fan base but yet they took it further. This new game has no identity. It is in the middle of halo and other fps' and it just doesn't play well.

The campaign is very short. It is the shortest campaign of any halo game. Can easily beat the game on heroic in 5 hours which is unacceptable for this series. Every mission has been ripped from other halo games which shows no creativity. Example being the flying falcon mission from reach, only this time its a pelican you fly. The mission plays exactly the same just with a new coat of paint. Also each mission has you pushing a button 3 or 4 times.

Multiplayer is very unbalanced and is already being hacked by players with aim bot. The game requires no skill anymore. You no longer have to be good to rank up, as everybody will rank up just for playing. The game promotes the player who shoots first most of the time. WIth the glorious aim assist and the big hit boxes this game requires little to no skill.

Unfortunately halo is on its death bad. While trying to broaden the audience, the developers have lost what has made halo a cultural phenomenon. Unless they fix this the series will die out.
  94. Nov 6, 2012
    Campaign only: I was worried it was going to go too far away from the others but I was pleasantly surprised. The cut scenes are amazing graphic wise. The first few minutes blew me away with the detailing in the facial expressions. The weapons were great, several old ones coming back. There were new weapons as well. Some of the game play is repetitive from earlier games, but I personallyCampaign only: I was worried it was going to go too far away from the others but I was pleasantly surprised. The cut scenes are amazing graphic wise. The first few minutes blew me away with the detailing in the facial expressions. The weapons were great, several old ones coming back. There were new weapons as well. Some of the game play is repetitive from earlier games, but I personally enjoyed the few familiar feeling parts. It made it feel like a part of Halo to me. The storyline was fantastic and emotionally stimulating. The soundtracks were moving and exciting. I loved it. I've played Halo since the beginning of the entire series and I thought they did a wonderful job making it feel new and familiar. Definitely worth my time and money. Expand
  95. Nov 6, 2012
    I'm a long term fan of the Halo series and this new edition certainly lives up to my personal standards but not only does it live up to them, it surpasses them in every way. The graphics are amazing, though like in all games this novelty wears off rather quickly, regardless they are stunning. The story is where the games gets me, it's well composed, the conflicts are interesting and if youI'm a long term fan of the Halo series and this new edition certainly lives up to my personal standards but not only does it live up to them, it surpasses them in every way. The graphics are amazing, though like in all games this novelty wears off rather quickly, regardless they are stunning. The story is where the games gets me, it's well composed, the conflicts are interesting and if you are enduring halo fan like me, it hits close to home. I don't think i have felt this emotional during a game since red dead. I thought that they could have spent a bit more time developing master chief though. On a more technical aspect the sounds are fantastic and the music fits very and creates an awesome atmosphere. Overall the game delivers on nearly all of it's promises and i think 343 are well on their way to filling those massive shoes that were left behind. Expand
  96. Nov 6, 2012
    At first I was suspicious of the many changes the Halo franchise has undergone in the hands of 343 Industries. However it seems like those worries were unneeded as this game is brilliant! Yes, the campaign is very enjoyable and has overall a great story integrated. Matchmaking has been improved since reach too, only missing the visible in-game ranking system halo 3 and halo 2 possessedAt first I was suspicious of the many changes the Halo franchise has undergone in the hands of 343 Industries. However it seems like those worries were unneeded as this game is brilliant! Yes, the campaign is very enjoyable and has overall a great story integrated. Matchmaking has been improved since reach too, only missing the visible in-game ranking system halo 3 and halo 2 possessed which is a pity for the competitive community, but I enjoyed Matchmaking (Or war games as it's called now) so far. Another neat new feature is Spartan Ops, A sort of coop campaign in which every a new episode releases to play. The new graphics are stunning and the new sounds are blowing me away. Definitely my favorite game of 2012! Expand
  97. Nov 6, 2012
    Campaign - It was hard to follow the story. There was a lot of jumping around and it was unclear what the purpose of the story missions were. I also played it Co-op which was the worst way to experience the game. There are near hundreds of spots where you will warp to your teammates facing different directions, and if you are in a vehicle when your teammate warps they will usually be inCampaign - It was hard to follow the story. There was a lot of jumping around and it was unclear what the purpose of the story missions were. I also played it Co-op which was the worst way to experience the game. There are near hundreds of spots where you will warp to your teammates facing different directions, and if you are in a vehicle when your teammate warps they will usually be in front of you and will die from a betrayal. Game looks nice, plays bad. War Games - Only search with a full party or you will get put into losing games more often than not. There are clear advantages to certain armor abilities and perks. Expand
  98. Nov 13, 2012
    Amazing, just flat out Amazing. Halo has become a series every gamer should take apart of. The visuals are down right spectacular. The campaign is amazing, and very well rounded. 343 has taken a large step in a good direction.
  99. Nov 7, 2012
    The game does nothing "new". But as per most Halo games, everything it does do, it does really well. I have had a blast on multiplayer, - however the lack of "co-op campaign" play lists (IE campaign with randoms) and a lack of firefight mode is a shame. Map size in multiplayer is excellent, especially when you consider the size of some of the levels in the recent COD games. This does notThe game does nothing "new". But as per most Halo games, everything it does do, it does really well. I have had a blast on multiplayer, - however the lack of "co-op campaign" play lists (IE campaign with randoms) and a lack of firefight mode is a shame. Map size in multiplayer is excellent, especially when you consider the size of some of the levels in the recent COD games. This does not feel like shooting fish in a barrel.

Graphics are lovely (for current generation console level). Sound is very nice and the story seems to be moving allong nicely. (i have not played it all the way yet).
  100. Nov 6, 2012
    Es el Halo definitivo, no hagáis caso a los majaras estos, no entiendo esta manía por Halo, llega a estancarse y es lo mismo, hay quejas, cambia muchas cosas y mantiene su esencia aunque con leves cambios, os quejáis, de verdad, me dáis pena, es el mejor Halo porque es el que más gente ha atraído, sus gráficos son increíbles, suEs el Halo definitivo, no hagáis caso a los majaras estos, no entiendo esta manía por Halo, llega a estancarse y es lo mismo, hay quejas, cambia muchas cosas y mantiene su esencia aunque con leves cambios, os quejáis, de verdad, me dáis pena, es el mejor Halo porque es el que más gente ha atraído, sus gráficos son increíbles, su historia es muy interesante, y su multijugador es una mezcla muy interesante entre Halo y Call of Duty,
    GOOD FOR 343, THEY MADE THE BEST HALO OF THE HISTORY